Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Beyer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 3: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are.
Speaker 2: Today, who love our guests for us. Today, our guest.
Speaker 3: Welcome to how did We get Weird?
Speaker 2: Jonah. I'm so excited for today's guest because not only is she a friend of mine, but when she used to be in the writer's room for my show, every month, we'd get to guess her water bill.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a game we'd play and if we would win, whoever won got like some kind of prize from her. And because she's not only an incredible writer, but also an author and a poet and an artist, some of us would get art, some of us would get poetry, just because we could get close to guessing her water bill. Now, Jonah, what was your water bill this month? And if I guess it, will you give me a prize?
Speaker 3: Sure? I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, but let me get I know roughly how we have water and sewer bundle together. We're in kind of a city water type situation.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe we should wait until our guest comes on today, and then she and I can both guess and you can tell us who wins. Sure, yeah, okay, okay, that sounds great.
Speaker 3: All right, why don't you give an intro?
Speaker 2: Okay, As our guest has already experienced, Jonah and I are getting into a couple of little fights today. Our guest today is our writer, poet, actor and artist who is the recipient of a poetry Fellowship from the New York Foundation of the Arts, and who has written for some of your favorite shows, including Transparent, The Sex Lives of College Girls, and your very very favorite show I Love That for you. Please welcome my friend Alli leeb gott Hi, Hi, Ali, Hello.
Speaker 1: I want to say that well water and power and sewage are often bundled.
Speaker 2: Vanessa.
Speaker 1: You don't just get a bill for just the water, although there is a breakdown.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I get like a quarterly water and sewer, so like every three months, I get a bill.
Speaker 2: Where are you what state?
Speaker 3: I'm in West in the Berkshire Western So you have water there? We have water? Yes, Yes, we do have water here. Yes?
Speaker 2: Is your bill bundled or were you just having a guess? One part of the poat No, it was.
Speaker 1: It's Burbank Water and Power BWP as we call it. And also what a way to like boost listeners. Huh yeah, but like it's broken down between water, electric, and sewage.
Speaker 2: So electric's really what gets you in California. Oh yes, big time to go back to getting as many listeners as possible. I will say that electricity in California, that's absolutely where they get you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we actually have solar here so that's pretty nice. Oh nice that offset some of the stuff. But Ali, would people get pretty close to your bill?
Speaker 1: Well, people like to gamble, right, so it's like, uh, just like if you.
Speaker 2: Would win things. I started it.
Speaker 1: I think when I worked on the sex Lives of College Girls. I think that's where the game started. And you would win things like it could really vary an Apple watch or whoa sixty day sobriety key chain from gamblers anonymous.
Speaker 2: You really didn't know what you were going to get, and all are the key are the gifts coming from you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a drawer of shit, you know, And so you get something out of the drawer or maybe you want like a homemade T shirt or you want a painting, you know, or something like that, but that's so the and we did prices right rules so you couldn't go over, you know. So it's like the bill would come and you know, I just would be sweating with excitement. And then it was like everyone would have to because it was on Zoom. We were on Zoom. You would have to change your Zoom name to your guests of your dollar.
Speaker 2: So you were locked in. Locked in, yeah, exactly, and you could see who was where, right.
Speaker 1: And for a second we all felt happiness before we found out whether we were winners or losers.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and so.
Speaker 1: It is a little I did think now I think sex Lives is on season three.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I am tempted.
Speaker 1: To just send a text to the group brand of the show I no longer work on saying the bill came, guys, to say someone.
Speaker 3: Of guess, yeah, I think you should do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think you should too. I've experimented with that a little bit where sometimes if there was a new Bloomers show coming out, I would talk about it when I was at SNL with all the writers in cast. I'd be like, if anyone wants to come with me, I'm going to the Bloomer show, which for anyone who hasn't ever listened to me talk. Bloomers was my all female sketch comedy and musical parody troupe in college. And then I kind of experimented with like a couple of years after I had left SNL, texting like the same random group of writers and cast and telling them about the new Bloomers show, and I would say it was met with a lot of like enthusiasm. I think people long for those simpler days when they were talk about your water Bill or the Bloomers show.
Speaker 3: You know, So, Vanessa, would anyone ever go with you to the Bloomer show? From that thread?
Speaker 2: No one ever came with me, That's what, right, But I do think they enjoyed hearing me talk about it, so if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think probably there were some people who were very annoyed by the water Bill game some people who just delighted in it. So that's where I'm no Vanessa Bayer with the charm you know you gotta come on. Is Bloomers like like late Bloomers or.
Speaker 2: Like, well, it's that's a great question. It's actually named after Amelia Bloomer, who invented the pantaloons. That are bloomers.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be my first guest. That's really eazy. Yes, I was going to see the pants. But then for a second I thought, wait, is it is that? Am I remembering right?
Speaker 2: That's correct? Yeah? Wow? Yeah, yeah it's name. And now I can't take credit because it was it started in the seventies, right, So but I can talk about it all the time, and and to go back to the water bills, not that we can come back to this anytime. To go back to the water bills. I think you're the perfect person to do a competition like this because you are such an artist that you can actually create prizes yourself. Like you were talking about the drawer you have that has like random things in it. But I remember now I'm blanking on what it said. But you had at some point made these T shirts that were really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I made I used to do a T shirt I used to do. I thought maybe I should get back into making T shirts.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Or is there a part of the show where you advise people on future business paths?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watch a lot, so I can definitely help with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got a lot to say. If you want to pitch to us. Okay, well I have been considering. You know, we were on strike, so.
Speaker 1: I have you know, had a lot of time to dig out ingrown hairs and move rugs. Apparently I just move a rug from one room to the next.
Speaker 2: I don't know. But I've been thinking a lot about what is you know, what's the future? What are we all going to be doing?
Speaker 1: And should I become one a phlebotomist, which is the person that draws blood. Yes, there's a twenty five hundred dollars course at the local college, which okay, there's a lot, but not really like probably worth it to learn how to do that correctly. And then or a bookkeeper because I do like a boring, repetitive task, so I just think not an accountant because that's harder bookkeeping. Literally, like here's Vanessa and Jonah's numbers. I put them in a little spreadsheet. Vanessa spent four hundred dollars this month on y also frozen pops and right has a lot of little You're a musician, isn't that correct?
Speaker 3: That's correct? Yes, yeah, I would say my dad.
Speaker 1: Picture that would be like a guitar pick. But anyway, the bookkeeper phlebottomist or back to my T shirt line, which is I think the shirt you saw was Law and Order episodes where it's the woman's fault and it had like one hundred hashmarks.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the T shirt. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: So yeah, how does a person make a living?
Speaker 3: We don't know. Well, you know, I had kind of a midlife, recent kind of career change, so and I actually looked into bookkeeping.
Speaker 2: You did, Jonah, not.
Speaker 3: Very seriously, but I was like looking into like like sort of like you have always kind of been a journalist and a musician and right, so I was like, well, like what do other people do, Like, what's a job where I don't have to like ask people all the time for work? Yeah? I looked into the bookkeeping. They were like online bookkeeping classes and you can work from home. You can do this, you can make all this money. But all the classes were really expensive. It was like ten thousand dollars. This is too much for something. I don't really know if I would even like I looked into like being a chiro prap. I looked into everything whoa character very casually. I was like, what is stuff that just seems interesting? And I actually ended up getting a master's degree in counseling and now I work as a therapist, which is really great. But so I honestly think the phlebotomy would be tough, just because it's like, I don't know, you gotta good blood. It's like dealing with people. It's like to me, it's like you're already artistic. You're good at the T shirt thing there, you already have it. It's kind of established, and I think going that route would be good. That's what I would vote for. But it's up to you. It's what your passionate.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's what your Passn't it about nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I'm I mean, we know. The jobs I want don't exist.
Speaker 1: Like the job I want is to go sit in hennis match audience and just say things like wow, Naomi Osaka, she looks like she's really come through. On the other side, she.
Speaker 2: Said, that's it. That is a job. That's a contentator.
Speaker 1: But the person that doesn't really have to know about tennis, like Chrissy Everett when she talks about tennis, you know, or renee stubs or whatever. Serena Williams became a commentator. One day they'd be able to talk about like backhands and boar hands, and I don't know that I could just say like, oh, those are cute sneakers, or like I think I think you're not giving yourself enough credit for how funny you are.
Speaker 2: And I think sometimes Allie is very funny. I want our audience to know that, and I think sometimes they need a funny person to kind of break things up. Like I've been on Neil deGrasse Tyson's podcast before, like I've did a live show and I know you didn't bring me on there because I'm a star expert, although I do love space. But he didn't know that. Well he might, but I don't think he did. How would he know? But the point is my whole job was to go like Cosmos more like can I get a break? You know, like really funny stuff like that. And so what I'm saying is that you could be watching a tennis game and you could be like that one looked like it hurt not as much as my water bill this month, right right? I think they call that the color contator.
Speaker 1: Like so baseball, because I'm a big Mets fan, So there's like the one guy that talks about the actual mechanics of you know and stuff like that. And then there's the person that's like, oh he grew up in you know, Cleveland and bobba ye bah you know. But I know we're all over the place, and I know we're is this what like is this is like okay? So because I Jonah, I do have to say, also, Vanessa, not to turn the tables. This is your show. But I would never, ever, ever want to go to space. And I've had this conversation with a lot of people like, even if Earth is no longer inhabitable and they figured out a way to live on the moon, let me die here on Earth. I don't want to go to space. And I feel like space is a real divider because there's some people like writer friend I know, was like I want to be the poet laureate of space, and I'm just like, I can't imagine anything more terrifying. And I think it was growing up with those movies where like a single pinprick in the suit and you're fucked, you know, like no, I just find I know, you go there, you're change, like you see Earth from up there, man, like you know, like how can we all It's like a near death experience. How can I relate to a regular person when I'm in to space? I can't, which I barely can now. But I no interest in space? No interest in space?
Speaker 3: Jona?
Speaker 2: Are you in interested in going to space? You know?
Speaker 3: I know right there's like I know what Ali's talking about, because there's like these lotteries and all these people put in these applications and it's like, you know, hundreds of thousands of people for like four spots. You know, unless you're like a billionaire or something that you just can buy ticket. But yeah, I'm kind of with Ali on this. I think it would be cool. I think getting up there and being able to see the Earth from that perspective will be kind of an interesting phenomenon that will kind of maybe shift your perspective on like life. But I don't need to be up there forever. I think we get boring pretty fast.
Speaker 2: Boring boring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not the trip, but once you're up there for like a week, two weeks.
Speaker 2: You're talking about you're talking are you talking about, Jonah, just a visit to space? You're talking about living?
Speaker 3: I'm talking about because a lot of these people they say they have to stay there permanently for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the Mars people.
Speaker 3: Right to Mars. Sorry, I'm thinking of the Mars people. Yeah, like go to Mars. But this is it, this is a one way trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you heard about that Ali sending people tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I'm going to guess you're not into the Mars if you're not into that other one.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm not into the vaguely threatening language of it's a one way trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's scary, I think Ali, Jonah. I think Ali's just talking about like those trips that like that.
Speaker 3: Like Williams. Shattner went on, where it's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you can just go up there. I think that would be cool.
Speaker 3: I would be into that, Yeah, if someone else could pay for What about you, Vanessa, I have I.
Speaker 2: Used to have dreams that you and I were going to space all the time, Jonah, and I felt excited to go to space, but I feel scared about it in the same way that like it feels a little scary in that it feels like they maybe they have by now, but they haven't totally mastered like space ships, like you know, you hope that it's just like a rocket going off. If that's to me is the scary part is not the part of being in space, but the part of like getting in that ship. But I feel like as they mastered the ship, then we could go. We'd have so much fun and we can need all that space ice cream.
Speaker 3: I knew you were going to say something about the space ice scream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Neapolitan strawberry vanilla and chocolate and one space ice cream bar. That's so fun. I think it does seem cool. And I actually have this calendar on my calendar. I like downloaded this thing on my calendar where I get updates daily if there's anything going on at NASA or at like the Space station, and I always just like read them, and I never pay that much attention to them, but they are like looking at my phone right now. I'm just I'm just going to go into my calendar and I'll tell you that in a couple fridays, the Leonid's meteor shower will peak in night skies. Okay, good to know what else we got going on in December, you know, the andro Metids meteor shower may make an appearance. So there's stuff like that, And then I can read more about it, and I.
Speaker 3: Never get the idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the point is I love space, right, but you're not afraid of the guys. No air. Let's just start. Let's just start with no air, right right, right, right right.
Speaker 3: Let me see this. How do you feel about being underwater? Like swimming?
Speaker 2: Jonah? I feel it. We may be soulmates, I mean everything we are.
Speaker 1: This train is running on the same track, and I would like to loop back to the work thing for a second. But let's get to let's get to underwater. I'm more interested in taking a risk to see what's in the deep ocean. But because I mean, geez, three quarters of the earth, we don't know the animals, you know. Just the tiny bit that I've snorkeled on a trashy beach has delighted me so, like, imagine all of the stuff you can't see, you know, so to me, like that seems so incredible and spiritual. Again, I'm not getting in one of those things that those billionaires just blew up in, you know, or like there's a certain listen. I'm not dancing on anyone's grave either, but there is a certain hubris I think maybe that exists with this sort of billionaire travel industry, whether to space or you never say. Billionaires are never like, let's get into a funicular and go to.
Speaker 2: Burbank, you know.
Speaker 1: They're yeah, that's like, let's go visit the wild parrots of Burbank, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know like I do. The ocean is to me. I would like to.
Speaker 1: Do one of those like old timey cruises, like let's go to Europe, but we have to go buy boat and like bring our steamer trunks and wear like a tux to dinner every night, you know, or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, We're gonna take a quick break and then I have a really important question for Allie that I'm going to ask when we get back.
Speaker 2: And I have a really important thing I want to say about her career and career options.
Speaker 3: And we're back, so Alie, I have a question. This is another thing that billionaires are really into that we want to get your take on. Yeah, life extension. What do you think? Are you into it?
Speaker 1: No? I mean, Jonah, have you heard me?
Speaker 3: Have you heard this?
Speaker 1: Have you heard the stress vibrating in my voice from the last twenty seven minutes, Like I can't imagine having to do more like the I guess life extension. If could life look differently, could we all have an easier way? Could there be less suffering for everyone, not just for me, Like I'm just I have a big surgery coming up next month, a knee replacement, and I've had like a nine different surgeries in my life, and I am so oh, this one really got under my skin in a way where I'm just like wow, Like that's a that's an.
Speaker 2: Old person surgery.
Speaker 1: That's like I'm a diad of injury when I was younger, so I am a lot younger than a lot of people getting it.
Speaker 2: But it's like once.
Speaker 1: They start putting artificial stuff in you and you can't go through the regular metal detector at the airport, you're just like, yikes, I am excited to try pickleball after I'm up and going because I saw.
Speaker 2: It on the Oh, oh, You're going to be able to do as much pickleball as you want.
Speaker 1: It's I'm a golden Bachelor, and I just didn't realize that it's a whiffle ball. For some reason, I thought the pickleball was very different. But it looks almost like a whiffle ball unless they know that it also, this may be just Golden Bachelor, crediball or that might be ages. I'm not sure. Well, if they're only there was some way to find out. But I don't want to die. But I don't want to like live just to.
Speaker 2: If we're all going to live longer.
Speaker 1: And we're all going to have like an inhabitable place to live, then yeah, let's all do it together. But I don't want to be like in some refrigerated house, like eating the last piece of meat or something while everything's fire outside.
Speaker 3: You know, that's fair. That's fair. Vanessa, You had a question.
Speaker 2: Okay, I had two things to say. One is Jonah. I don't know if you remember her talking about this, but our grandma Margie, who lived to be one month shy of one hundred, she would tell us about she would always go to her high school reunions, and they got smaller and smaller and smaller to the point where like she's going to you know, her like sixty year high school reunion and it's like, you know, twenty people, and then it's like she's going to her sixty five. They would have them, I think every five years, because it was yeah, and you know, I think she went to some of them. Later in her life that were only like a few I think there are very few people there because even if there were more people that were living, you know, who can make it to this reunion?
Speaker 3: I can't make them.
Speaker 2: So I just want to say there is something I see what you're saying, Ali, of like, if you're the last one, is that really what you want?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I was going to say, first of all, my grandma lived to be one hundred and two, and she had a twin that lived to be one hundred and two and their older sister. What Alli, what are you talking about? How could someone be older than one hundred and two live to be one hundred and five. So my mom's side of the family lives a long time, and my grandma was in the casino and eating chili dogs to the last year of her life, So like, which is my barometer for happiness? So like, that is one thing, But also can we please write the film that is that old person reunion movie? Because that sounds so beautif. But I just whenever I think about the billionaire longevity thing, I think of people hoarding resources. That's what I think of, or like it's a prepper situation where I'm like I don't want to be like I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, it feels kind of egotistical in a way, like I should not have to obey these laws. Something else. I feel it's kind of this way is people who have like a lot of kids, like who have like twenty kids, and then because it's like they want to kind of like live forever. And you know, there's something about there's something a volley with the ego with that, I think on some level, Well.
Speaker 1: Robert de Niro just had another child. I don't know if you can we keep that in And if you're friends with him, could you let him know that. I just think he's so handsome and I know that I'm not his type. But when I saw him in that.
Speaker 2: Movie he did. That movie was the movie where he.
Speaker 1: Did stand up in Old Folks.
Speaker 2: I'm sure gordfles crecle.
Speaker 1: You guys, come on, you know this movie, Vanessa, surely you've seen this movie like eleven PM some Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: Olivia, do you know what this movie?
Speaker 1: I can't think of what this And he does a old person wrap at the and he goes viral.
Speaker 2: This seems like a fever dream. It's real, and I'm racing. I had it. I think I saw it when I had Movie Pass and you could go to a movie every day. It feels like a real Jonah move.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did have Movie Pass also in New York and used to really use it a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm an A lister now AMCA lister, and it's twenty four dollars a month and you got to go three movies a week and it allows you to see like things probably no one should see.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Yeah, yeah, that's a great deal. But yeah, we'll find out what the name of that movie was. But in the meantime, I just want to say that, going back to your career choices, we're acting as if you're not an incredibly successful writer, like you were an executive producer on my show. Like also, the writers strike is over, you have like a very very just thinking backup plan for that. So I'm thinking backup plan.
Speaker 1: Like there's like because I just saw someone I used to write with who became a yoga instructor, and so, like Jonah said earlier, there is something to this freelance life that's very exhausting, where you're like sort of like having to prove yourself every six months to someone to say, like, even though I've been writing for thirty years, I can do it, you know, like that there's a mental peace sometimes about thinking. Like I go to Cedar Sina's blood donation center and I check in at seven and I leave at three, and I take blood and I give everything significant after they've had it. And so that's when I when I think about this stuff, it's like it's sort of like, Okay, what's the third act gonna be?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Did you say you give them a fig Newton once they went there?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm an avid blood donor, so and I'm trying to get on this theater sign blood donor.
Speaker 2: Wall of Honor. Yeah, and so you get cookies and I didn't realize fig Newtons still exists.
Speaker 1: Oh, in my opinion, there might not be a better cookie.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: There I said it, Mike Drop.
Speaker 2: It's so much spread to filling is my only issue, do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: And people think it's like it's like people who like chocolate get really mad at it. But I think it's there's something about the dough of it. And I know you like to talk about snacks, Vanessa, but there's like.
Speaker 2: It's almost not cooked enough that I like.
Speaker 1: It's like there's a doe kind of like huh oven enough quality that I had, just like Fig Newton hooked me up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm there for you, like I'm ready. It reminds me they kind of remind me of those cookies that you always really like, Jonah, those Peppridge Farm cookies that have the jelly in the middle.
Speaker 3: The strawberry jelly, kind of the circular ones. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Favorite. I slightly preferred that because I think the ratio of jelly to But I hear what you're saying is like the dough is the dough is fully cooked in those Petbridge Farm ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a Pepperridge Farm one is sort of like a circular comments in a little bit right.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like exactly.
Speaker 3: You can see my cat is chasing.
Speaker 1: The cat is so cute.
Speaker 2: Isn't a gray cat? Or is it a cat?
Speaker 3: He's actually brown, dark color, but he's kind of this brown, which is pretty rare.
Speaker 2: That is rare. Ali loves cats and she also does incredible art of cats and all kinds of cats. People. She's an I have sn her art here that she gave me for her birthday. Amazing and for her birthday. I mean for your birthday. Yeah, oh my god, cat is so cute. Well, I think we're all doing really great in our current jobs, but I understand, I understand the desire to have something that feels more less freelance and more like, this is my job and this is what I do every day from this hour to this hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just you know how it is. It's like hard to plan sometimes a life when you're.
Speaker 2: Like totally you don't know what you're going to be doing. Yeah, really hard for Jonah's cat probably to plan their life because they're so busy chasing their tail.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, this cat's got it made. This cat doesn't have a care in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear you. Jonah.
Speaker 1: I feel like your patients, your clients must be so lucky to have you, because like you're sweet, like compassionate face and like, I don't know, I've had a lot of therapists.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can start going to Jonah. You know, I will say this too, Like, I think that's why it kind of works for us to have a podcast, is because Jonah has interviewed people for such a long time that even though he's new to therapy, he's such a good listener and he's so good at like asking thoughtful questions and stuff that I think being a therapist was a very natural progression of things. But also with our podcast, I feel like Jonah asks really thoughtful questions and stuff, and I sort of like do I like sort of existand to the side and like do impressions and go like, oh, did you guys think this was funny?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you both are great too. That's but you know, you know, speaking of great l you give us so many great ideas for topics for this episode, and we were going back and forth on them, and I really think this idea of pre internet report cards is such a funny topic. Why did you kind of think about that? Like what was kind of your thought process behind that?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like education is so different now for kids, like their whole school experience. And I also was a teacher at one point in my life, so the concept of the Internet allowing kind of school to go on even when it's not school hours seems like such a bummer forever for the teachers and for the kids, you know, And like when I think about even like like bullying, like if.
Speaker 2: You were bullied at school.
Speaker 1: I was bullied at school and I bullied, so I was like I did everything, you know, like a double threat.
Speaker 2: I can't see you bullying.
Speaker 1: Well it was like in that sad way where you had to bully because you were getting yully at that sort of thing. But like, but even if you were bullied at school, it kind of just stayed at school and you didn't then when you went.
Speaker 2: Home you were saying, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But like now with the social media, but the report cards is like they get their grades emailed, and to me, I'm like, I was just thinking about you knew when the report cards were coming. You had to get to the mailbox before your parents, did you know, And then you could even in my case, like it was a carbon copy, so yeah, you got you could change like a minus to a plus or whatever, a D to a B, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So I just was thinking a lot about like just how much stress there was about when the report card was coming. And I don't know, physical mail is so like I know people scam in all different ways, but like I rewatched talented mister Ripley recently and I was like, he couldn't have done so much of that like now, yeah, you know, and just because of the digital age. I know there's different kinds of scams in the digital age, but just like the basic thing of like I'm like, someone just googles your picture, like are you that person or not? You know? Right, Paltrow in that before she started cooking full time for Goop, like, uh, like she was an incredible actress. She's incredible in that she is.
Speaker 2: You know, I watched that movie for the first time, I think fourth of July last year, and I loved it and I thought she was so good. She's so good in it. She's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ever seen it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Should I say it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You have to see it.
Speaker 1: No, you should watch it with one of your clients.
Speaker 4: Don't.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 3: Another part of the rapport card that that was tough was, I know, we had to have our parents basically sign them. Then we had to bring them back to school like to acknowledge that they saw them. And so I remember one year I got like a D or something because like the big thing at our school was we weren't allowed to leave campus. And so if you were like a quote unquote kind of like a bad kid, you would like leave campus and he got to the parking lot, drive to Burger King for lunch. Someone for lunch. Yeah, maybe someoneould be smoking a cigarette, like you know, and uh right. And so I kind of got mixed up in this a little bit in high school but never really fully got into it, but I kind of dabbled in it, and uh I got like a D in one class once and I like ripped the report card in this strategic way where like that grade was just kind of missing, and our parents, I think, being so trusting kind of, I was like yeah, and I kind of crumpled it up, tried to make it look and they were like okay and just signed it. And I don't think ever thought twice about it, but I was like I kind of pulled off one of these yeah kind of scams, you know, because they had to sign it. I had to bring it back in and I don't think forging. I think that was too far from me. But I guess like this felt like okay, yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: So good, Like your parents were like that depressed postman, Oh it's just shoving mail in the bloss.
Speaker 3: Well no, I think I think they gave it to us at school. We had to get them, take them home, get them signed, and bring them back. That's my memory.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I bet you're right. I bet you're right.
Speaker 3: So you always get straight a's. I'm sure this was not in she always.
Speaker 2: Gets straight a's. In fact, our mom would put our report cards above her desk in our house growing up, and I remember just like looking over that wall of grades and going, there's nothing lower than an A minus on on here. But that was when I could earn my grades. What were you going to say, Jonah.
Speaker 3: I was going to say it was you know, it was great for me because Vanessa would always Vaness would have like a like a four point eight GPS. She would have some GPO that didn't even make sense with like AP classes. But if I got a couple of a's, I was like in good shape. Like I had a kind of a lower yeah, you know mark to hit so I could.
Speaker 2: Right, well, I put a lot of pressure on myself. Vanessa.
Speaker 1: You loved school.
Speaker 2: I loved school. Yeah. I was really really good at school. I do think it had something to do with me getting sick, because I had this teacher tell me when I was in the h hospital, but I didn't have to. I should just focus on getting better and I shouldn't worry about school. And then in my mind I made this connection of like, Okay, so I'm going to get bad grades now because of this random thing that happened to me. I'm going to get bad grades, and I'm going to go to a bad college, and I'm going to have a bad future, which is like very funny because the career ended up going into like you don't even really have to do college, but like I really equate it. So I think there was a little bit of me pressuring myself to like prove to everybody that I was still going to get really great grades. But I also was like I enjoyed like like I enjoyed like studying, and.
Speaker 3: You studied a lot.
Speaker 2: I studied a lot. I really worked. I worked very hard at school. But that so that was sort of like I think how that all happened. But before that, when we were in like I'm going to call it first through fifth grade, is first through fourth grade or something, we wouldn't get I don't know if you remember if you both remember getting grades when you were really little, but they were I remember in our school it was like O was for outstanding V was for VG was for very good, P was progressing successfully, and then below that there was like one that was like needs work and I don't know, I don't remember the letters. And then there was one even below that more I think that was like fails basically whatever. And I remember the bottom and I remember getting my grades, like I have like the sense memory of being in like second grade and getting my grades, and there were a lot of like peas and which means progressing successfully, which is essentially a C. And I remember being like, what the fuck, Like these teachers are just randomly assigning these grades, like we don't have any homework, right, we don't have like like it just felt like the teachers would just give you the grades that they sort of expected of you, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I remember one year on my birthday, we played volleyball and I was serving a lot of the volleyballs and I was getting like so many, I was doing so well, and then my gym grade came and it was a it was a P, and I was like, what the fun? Like, I just remember the grades. It seems like I'm losing both of you, but I just remember the grades that I would get when I was younger, were so rude, and they were so like, she's fine, She's doing okay. And it was like, based on what you maron.
Speaker 3: Fanas, your grades don't really matter at that point, right, I mean, so it's okay.
Speaker 2: I know, but I think that that also probably fed into like once the grades meant something and we're actually graded like the grades that really had a reason behind them. I think I was like, okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna go all the way with these.
Speaker 1: I mean, some might say this is the teacher. Also, that was such a That was such a beautiful moment between you, because Jonah was like a therapist in that moment. You said you said the grades didn't really matter then, and you you were like I see your high grades as your ambition. Vanessa like you're like that's your drive. You're like, I'm getting don't tell me I can skate by on a C you know, but I think grades?
Speaker 2: Who cares about what I used to teach? I thought at college, I remember this woman this I don't I want to say her names badly, but I won't. You could say it and we could bleep it out.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine, I'll just think it and see, but okay, she was an adult student, adult and she was going back to school, which I appreciate because I went back to school later in life. And she got an A minus in the creative writing class that I was teaching. It's very hard to grade creative writing because you're like, you did the assignment or you didn't. It can't be whether I liked your short story, right, that's the subjective, right. But then it's also like it's kind of a class where you could scam, right, because you could try not very hard and then then say, like, is how you grade it? You know, this is how it's a little existential for twenty man. But like, so I she got an a minus. Really she wasn't a very good writer there, I said it. And she fought the administration on this ANUS for six months and I had to go to these department meetings and I was just like, so obviously it's not about the grade at that point, you know, But it was like so intense. But I guess it's like this is a segue. But when I used to wait tables graveyardship, like dear, dear, dear friend and roommate of many years, Kenny Lee used to work at the bag Dead Cascade in San Francisco, and this man ordered this hamburger and it was hamburger and fries, and then he called Kenny OK and he said, this hamburger's not cooked. I said medium, and he said it And so Kenny brought the hamburger back and then he got a new hamburger and the man said, I said medium, this hamburger is not cooked.
Speaker 2: Right, So they send back.
Speaker 1: A second hamburger, and Kenny brings back to hamburger a third time, and the man complained the third time, and Kenny just kneeled down next to the man and he said, what do you think this is really about?
Speaker 2: Wow, it's my favorite thing.
Speaker 1: I think about it thirty years later all the time about like the hamburger. I don't think this is about the hamburger. What do you think this is? Really?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: And that's what I think about with the A or the grades, right, because it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really doesn't matter unless we're going to become like, yeah, it ruins people's lives.
Speaker 1: Think about all these stressed out kids like trying to like it's a bummer, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well I think it's like we get attached to these ideas and they become part of like our identity, and you're like, I'm I'm the you know, high achieving student. That's who I am. And it's like then when you get something that goes against that, then you have to kind of rethink your whole identity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a really weird. It was weird because I went to you know, I went to pen and that's such a like high achieving school. But it was so weird because I was among so many people that were just so naturally so much smarter than I was, that like they wouldn't.
Speaker 3: And you were also like check out my mc hammer parody this weekend or whatever with Bloomers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Bloomers. Well that became my focus, which was good. But this was the other thing that was sort of weird is like when I was in school, like high school and everything, you could sort of tell who got good grades and who didn't sort of buy their behavior in a way. And I don't mean to generalize, but it was like a lot of the good kids and the kids who like behaved really well in class and were really like they were the kids who were getting the good grades. And then a lot of the kids who were acted out more or even who were cool sometimes were like the kids who got worse grades, you know what I mean, Well, even though there were cool kids who did well and you know what were you going to say, Jonah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's like at that level before you get into very like advanced high level thinking a lot of like middle school and stuff. I think it's just how much time you put into it. For the most part. I mean, obviously some people have learning disabilities. It's not even playing for this all kinds of right systemic, all kind of stuff at play. But I do think to a large extent, if you're working hard, a lot of its memorizing stuff, you can do well if you put the.
Speaker 2: Time right right totally. Well, that was the thing that was weird when I went to college because it was like there were those same personalities where it was like the cool kids, the kids who sort of acted out, but they were all really smart, Like they were like if they were cool or they act you know whatever, it was because they were so smart that they didn't really have to study and they would still get really good grades. And it was so crazy to be around so many kids like that. Because there were so many of them where they were just naturally smart in a way like they didn't have to study in a way that I was like.
Speaker 3: Well, their parents, you know, made a big donation.
Speaker 1: Did you get good grades in college, Fanessa, I got so so grades.
Speaker 2: My grades were not. In fact, I went to college thinking that I might be this is I thought went to college thinking that I might become like a biologist because I really liked biology, uh huh. And then of course, like I've done jokes about this, where like I was like, maybe I'll be a biologist who like has her own TV show, or like a biologist who's like like Sanji Gupta who like is like a doctor who like but she's like more of a TV doctor. So anyway, so you can tell where my mind was kind of going. But I took this kind of advanced biology class my first year of college, and they were like weeding out pre med kids that they didn't think could make So it was like it was such a hard class and I barely got to see I think like I and then the rest of college I did fine, but I was not like a straight A student because it was you know, it was a lot of reading it was so much more. It was like whatever I had studied and done in high school was like that time's you know, however much. And then also I was spending a lot of my time doing Bloomers, so yeah, and that ended up being the thing that even though I joke about it a lot, that ended up truly being the thing that I was like, oh, this is the thing I want to do as opposed to yeah, being a being a doctor on TV.
Speaker 1: But thank god, because I was just thinking, like if I was going to go have knee surgery and you came out with the scalpel.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, I mean, it would be delightful, and I feel.
Speaker 1: Like I would roll with it because I'm the kind of person who sits and gets the haircut they don't want to get and just lets the person do it to them.
Speaker 2: So like I probably would, but like it's.
Speaker 1: It's so clear that you people need to just like do don't fu. I don't think that thing when and Jonah, I know you can back me up as a certified therapist, but like that thing of like I had this when I was a teacher where so many it was a science school, but and so many of the kids had these expectations from their family to become scientists, but they didn't want to and they just wanted to be writers or whatever, you know. And it's like that angst of trying to like live like a kind of life that really isn't like the life that you're supposed to being in a way, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all have to do things we don't want to do.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that, but like sure my family, my dad had a flexible hose business, you know, hose, like a big yellow hose that goes into a sewer, you know, and like everyone in the family did the hose. And I was just like, I think I will kill myself at myself flexible hose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just was like, you know, I knew that I just couldn't do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our dad had a business growing up, a packaging business, so like putting stuff in boy's shrink, wrapping things, and we work there as kids. I mean I worked there a lot more like and you know, it's like hard to find a job when you're fifteen, so he'd hire me and all my friends. But I think it was kind of unspoken like we would never take over that business just based on our personnelity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, based on our we were more creative sort of we were looking toward. But you know it's funny is that our dad sort of did find I'm not saying he takes your place, Jonah or my place. He did find kind of a surrogate son to sell the business to. Who this guy Kyle who now owns the business, who, like our dad doesn't even own it anymore, but he like goes in all the time and he's always like fielding calls from Kyle and talking to Kyle and it's like, yeah, Dad, we get it. Kyle's your new son. But it's just like it's like our dad. I know he loves us very much and he's very happy with where our careers have gone, but like he didn't get the kid who was like I'm goingd I love the business, I'm gonna go right like I'm gonna take over it from when you're done. You know, like we were both like, oh, can we get out of here?
Speaker 1: Is he still involved as a like Styrofoam peanut consultants.
Speaker 3: I think they have some kind of I think they have some kind of business arrangement. I'm not sure the specifics, but I think there is some kind.
Speaker 2: Of there's some kind of arrangement where he like he sort of consults in this moment. But I do think that he does a lot more.
Speaker 3: I think he likes doing it. He like, I think he enjoys it. So it's you know, and once you retire, like you know, you gotta find something to do. So it's yeah.
Speaker 2: Another thing is remember Johnnah he got called for jury duty. Then after jury jo.
Speaker 3: Kind of recurring thing where like he was kind of like he would go every month or something to a jury duty and he would be some kind of foreman or some kid, some kind of role involved in it for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm obsessed with your dad, Like that's kind of my dream.
Speaker 2: This is a very alley thing. This is what made me think of it as like he would get to decide like which cases went forward or something like of these like small civil like legal guys.
Speaker 1: This doesn't sound quite legal.
Speaker 3: I'm just here's the thing is like you know, we've all you know, done jerry duty, and but on some of it always seems kind of interesting, but it's never you never have time, like you're always like I have to work or I have to pay the like once you're retired. Someone's jury. It's like watching like a procedural court show, but you're like there and you could like interactive like I think would actually be great, but there's never a good time when.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, yeah, I'm never picked because I was illegally arrested twice, and so whenever they ask you those original questions, you know, like they like, do you like think law enforcement always does everything perfectly?
Speaker 2: And you're like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so I never get picked. But my dream is to be on a sequester jury where I sit in a hotel room and eat Domino's pizza for nine months. Yeah, like have an affair with another jur like just.
Speaker 2: Like just like, oh god, you know I went I before I left New York, I got called for jury duty and I was there the whole day, and the judge kept saying, this is a really good case because we're only going to meet Tuesday through Thursday and it'll probably be pretty quick, so like, if you're here, you're pretty lucky. And I thought I was going to get picked the whole day they were interviewing everybody and whatever, and then I started getting a little scared because the defendant was sort of a scary guy. And I was like, oh, like, I'm kind of a public figure, like I wonder And then they dismissed me, and I realized there was before they dismissed me to like go wait to see if I was picked. The judge went like, I was a fan of your work on SNL and I was like, oh no, now this guy really knows. But then I realized in retrospect she said that to me because there was like no way she was going to pick me. It got you know what I mean, like I don't think she would have put me in that position. But then but I feel like public figures are often on jury's right or.
Speaker 3: No, I have no idea, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wait not I know somebody who just went to go Sam Bankman Freedmantric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shamba Winfried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she went there just as a person, like an alley move and just went and drew him for like a whole day.
Speaker 2: And I was like so like inspired. I was like iressed with people who know how to live life.
Speaker 1: I'm like, guys, we can't kind of do whatever we want when we like on like right now, I'm like, why have I just only moved a rug? For a year, like there's a whole world out there, like go be in at alley, like don't just swirl around your house with anxiety.
Speaker 2: You know. But like that was like, oh, yeah, I'm just going to go to a like Robert Durst.
Speaker 1: I always get him confused with Fred Durst from Limp Biscuit, but like like but like when his case was downtown, me and my friend Amanda had talked about like, oh yeah, we should just go sit and like do that.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I forget that you can go to that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, anytime you want to go Vanessa, Oh my god, maybe you didn't express intro.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'll go with you. We'll get lunch. Now. If there was a trial in space, put me there. Oh yes, yes, we take our little space ice s creams right up to space and watch that trial and you could draw it and I could and we could both write little jokes about it.
Speaker 1: I just want to wear the adult dieper in space.
Speaker 2: So I'm getting just like bring it, Hey, Allie, don't we all don't know. We're going to go to a quick commercial break, but we'll be right back with our friend Ellie. We've got and we're back anyone want to say anything else about space, very duty great.
Speaker 1: I did take bowling as a pe credit in community college because it was the only pe where you were allowed to smoke. And the teacher was so nice.
Speaker 2: He was this guy and he was like, oh, he made a rule.
Speaker 1: He's like, if you got to smoke, fine, but like not while you're holding the ball.
Speaker 2: You couldn't do it while you held them ball.
Speaker 1: You could all they do it in the back. He also taught like AIDS.
Speaker 2: There was like an eighth it was it was like nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: So those were the two classes he taught.
Speaker 2: You know, he was a great guy.
Speaker 1: But if you got to split, like you know in bowling, when you have a split the two, he take a hundred dollars bill out of his pocket and he put it on the part of the You're like, Ali, did you go to school, but like no, this also happened at Penn Vanessa.
Speaker 2: He took one hundred dollar.
Speaker 1: Bill out and he put it on the bowling ball place for the air comes out to like sure, get your hand, and he'd be like, if you get that split, you can have this hundred bucks. And everyone was just like, oh, you know, and like like couldn't like contain their expectment. No one ever got that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this all just seemed normal then and now I'm going back.
Speaker 1: I was like, who was walking around with crisp hundred dollar bills?
Speaker 2: Like letting us all smoke? What that's really amazing? Wow? Well, now we're gonna play game with you allie okay, And it's called legit moan or unnecessary grown.
Speaker 3: Legit moan unnecessary grows.
Speaker 2: So this was inspired by a now defunct column in our local paper growing up, which was called the Cleveland Plaine Dealer, and they had this column called Monday Moaning that we used to read every Monday, where the paper would print extremely petty complaints that the readers had and we always found them really funny as kids, and we find them even funnier today. So basically, we're gonna pick three entries from their archives. At the end of each one will decide if we think it's a legit moan, meaning that their complaint is legit, or if it's unnecessary grown. Okay, Okay, go ahead, John.
Speaker 3: Jump right here. So here's the first one. It's from Lakewood, Ohio. It says, I think we all grasp the idea that wild animals can be dangerous to people. When will lawmakers in Ohio realize that the same animals need to be protected from reckless humans. Come on, Ohio, get some tough laws on the books to help out these gorgeous creatures and keep them safe from harm ally, what do you think you think that's a legit moan or an unnecessary grown.
Speaker 1: I think it's like, let's get some more info in there. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: That's what I think too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree? Yeah. I wonder if the timing of this, like like if you had read it the week it came out, if But I do wish that this person had named their some specific Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's this like a slaughter house situation. That's this like dogs on chains and the winter outside.
Speaker 2: Like, what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: They're saying we grass idea wild animals can be dangerous to people? When we lawmakers realize these same animals need to be protected from reckless humans. So some type of wild animal that's attacking maybe bears, I don't know, coyotes, Yeah, but are their coyotes?
Speaker 2: We don't really have. Do we have coyotes in Ohio?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think they're missing a lot of details. You're going to go to the trouble to write a letter to the newspaper, why not just be a little more straightforward about what you're talking Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because also, you know, you hope that they'll print it the week that you sent it. But what if they wait a few weeks to send it, then everyone's going, what are you referencing here?
Speaker 3: Or if you're wait like fifteen years and read it on a podcast, you know, no one's know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Are we supposed to know?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's when we had animals?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all animals on Earth? WHOA? This one is hard, No, this one is hard to Okay, our producer Olivia is saying, there are coyotes in Ohio. This one, though, I think it is hard to say if it's a legit monor and unnecessary grown Jonah, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say it's I like the sentiment right protecting animals, So I for that reason, I think I'll I'll say it's legit. But I do wish there was a little more into Allie, what about.
Speaker 1: You I'm gonna say the come on, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seems to me like someone who writes a lot of these letters.
Speaker 1: And yeah, therefore I'm going to say unnecessary grown. Do we all have to agree?
Speaker 3: No? No, okay, And by the way, I do agree. There's something about the tone that's a little bit I don't know, it bugs me a little. Yeah, like, come on, Ohio, I know what's best?
Speaker 2: You know, it's like okay, yeah, yeah, if you knew it was best, why are you writing into this? And why aren't you on some kind of.
Speaker 3: Board vanas you want to get into the next one?
Speaker 2: Okay, this next one is says call me old fashioned? How rude is it? You can't even pick up the phone to call your parents? You have to sorry, you have to text them nowadays. And that's from someone in Olmstead falls O High.
Speaker 3: And keep in mind also in case Wen says, these are all about like ten to twelve years old. So this is when, yes, they call them be a little more new.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're wondering here if it's legitimate for the mother or to want a phone call opposed to a text from the child. I think essentially, yeah, okay, ten years ago would have put us in twenty thirteen, Yeah, twenty fourteen. What year are we with?
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway, So.
Speaker 1: You know what, I have an Italian mom who wants to every day. So I think my Stockholm syndrome is going to put me in legit.
Speaker 2: Mall in here, mother, phone, Okay, call your mother, Call your mother?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vanessa, what about you?
Speaker 2: I kind of agree, although I will say this, if you're going to write into a column like this, okay, just maybe do a little more finessing of your words. Sure, this is how it reads. Call me old fashioned period. How rude is it you can't even pick up the phone nowadays to call your parents. I would more word it, like take my daughter for example, like she always texts instead of calling me. I really would appreciate a phone call. And I think there's also a lot of other young adults who are doing this. And then she just wrote, excuse me, I'm talking like her. She just wrote, you have to text them nowadays? What that's not a sentence?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: So yeah, while I do think it's a legit moan, I would think it was even more legit if she would have spent I'm talking five more minutes just kind of getting the wording of this a little more clear. So I'm on her side, but not one hundred percent because and I'm assuming it's a woman. It could be a man, it could be anyone. But I'm just saying we.
Speaker 1: All just assumed, didn't we.
Speaker 2: Well, because you said it reminded you of your mom, and now yeah.
Speaker 1: You after hearing it read again in your tone, Yeah, I think this mother probably there's a reason no one's falling.
Speaker 2: She's a bitch, and.
Speaker 1: Like she's driven her own children away, and in fact, I don't think they should even come to our funeral or Christmas.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's a strong take, but that's why we're here, is for strong takes. Okay, Jonah, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Do you think this man? You know, I think this is kind of a classic problem with this column when like there's something you could just tell one person, like the person like this person's kid, Hey, would you mind calling me more? Instead your taking this incredibly like circular root of writing a letter to a newspaper about this thing. So to me, it's like, just then then tell your son or daughter, Hey, hey, would you mind not texting as much? I'd really like to catch up The phone. This is such a bizarre way to go about getting your message across exactly, and for that reason, I'm going to say, it's an unecessary groan.
Speaker 2: I hear you, and you know, I just want to add in. Sometimes Ali, when we read these, we go like, this person will never ever be able to get their point across to whoever they're complaining to, because the person will never know. But there was this one that we read once where it was this woman who was like, why are my co workers giving me such a hard time for passing out food to birds in front of the bank we work out, and like she keeps she keeps complaining to me to the boss, and we were like, oh, this actually might work for this person.
Speaker 3: Because very specific.
Speaker 2: It's so specific and clearly the person who was writing it, who was giving out food to birds in front of the bank, and she was like, why does my co worker I think I'm scaring away customers. It was like, Oh, clearly this person's a nightmare and it's gonna be so crazy when the person reads it and just takes that to their boss.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm the person handing out the food to birds, but like, also, how much time off do you again during the day on this bank telling I think.
Speaker 3: I lunch break. I believe it was her lunch break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm on our side. I'm always on the bird feeder side.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's that's that's a LEGITIM moan for Ali for that one from the archives. This is the last one. This one is a it's a pretty intense one. I'm giving you. I'm giving you a warning. Right now, as election day nears, I find myself with one wish. I wish we could send a sculpting artist to Mount Rushmore to sculpt tears on the faces of those great men enshrine there. If they were alive to see the sickening status of the Republican and Democratic Houses of Congress have brought us to they would surely be in tears. I am hopeful that come election day, we've voters turn out in record numbers to vote every one of them out of office, and Olds saying goes, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Allie, what do you think about this sculpting the tiers onto Mountain rush I.
Speaker 2: Think I have goosebumps.
Speaker 4: I think that is the kind of thinking wing need that is outside the box. Thinking to me, I'm like, think about all the other sculpting tiers. Would that if you really think about it, you'd have to go into the cheek right to make the tier because you can't hate, but you're not blobbing a tier on top.
Speaker 1: So this is a big renno on man smell bush More. And then I thought of those state Fair butter sculptures where people do I just I like this person's flair for the theatrics, and I'm just following them right to their AM radio show and calling in and saying, that's right, what did happen to America?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible. The tears are incredible. Okay, I'm speechless. Your speech are people. Let's give it a minute to sink in. Maybe because I didn't. Yeah, it's it's a lot of process. I think I don't want to probably be on their same side election wise. Sure, maybe there's an artist in there that can be convinced. Although they didn't just say Republicans or Democrats, they said both.
Speaker 3: Said both.
Speaker 2: They said both, They said both.
Speaker 1: You know which, I think a libertarian stance could be the one of sculpting tears.
Speaker 2: Sure what year was this published and can we vote for them for I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm going to guess around twenty twelve, maybe something like that, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well that changes things. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think we could spend the rest of our lives together just on the zoom and we could go through these one at the time, through the microcesses.
Speaker 2: I would love that.
Speaker 1: This makes me think I'm a big next door post okay, okay, And I had more people read my next door posts about my broken microwave than my own books.
Speaker 3: And I just.
Speaker 1: I'm enchanted by some of the stuff on next door and it's it feels like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I hear you got.
Speaker 3: Some store energy, Vanessa? What do you think of this one?
Speaker 2: Here's again I fault this person because of their writing, because this person writes as election day near as I find myself with one wish. I wish we could send a sculpting artist to Mount Rushmore, to sculptors on the faces. That's not what this person wants. Actually, what they actually want is they want come election Day for the voters to vote every one of the Republican and Democratic Congress out so I guess what I'm saying is it's so snarky to start like, and I like, Ali that you took this person at their word of like they just they really are because this is what they're saying. They're like, my wishes for the sculptor, and then they're saying, like, by the way, the reason the sculptor would be doing this is because our current Congress has brought us all to tears or would bring them to tears. But I just go get your point across, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, they did not say sculpture at any point. I believe they said the ecoulpting artists.
Speaker 3: Chaulting artists.
Speaker 2: That just said to me as evulpting artists. Yeah, so I'm going maybe maybe get yourself together before you write in this. So I'm calling this an unnecessary groan because I think this person is really snarky and I'm not into their energy whatsoever. Jonah, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of conflicted on this one. I think you both have good points. You know, I get being frustrated with the government for sure. I think the tears from my rushmore is you know, kind of like like I Leu'd say, kind of a creative you know, way into that sentiment. I guess where they really let me down on this is that final line, because they're like, they kind of have this kind of powerful statement. They go an old saying goes, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the you know, they just throw this cliche in at the end that feels a little anti climactic for me.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 3: So I guess it's a call to action, but yeah, it doesn't totally land for me. So I'm gonna say this is an unnecessary groan. But I get the sentiment. I get where they're coming from, but it just doesn't come together for me at the end.
Speaker 2: I hear you, hear?
Speaker 1: Do you see either of you see the shape of the tier? Is this the emoji with the two streams or is it the single tier?
Speaker 3: That's a good question, that's a really good question. I don't know. These sculpting artists probably aren't cheap, so maybe they're going single tear. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, what's the rate of a sculpting artist versus sculptor? They might be or they might be a lot less.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, who's my favorite sculpting artist. You ever hear this guy Rodin he did this thing called the Thinka and it's amazing. It's this sky and he's holding his head and he's having like these huge thoughts and he's like the Thinka and Rodan one of the greatest sculpting artists of a time.
Speaker 2: He did it. Allie, thank you for being here today. Oh you've saved my life.
Speaker 1: You guys, you're a guy who knows what would have happened to me in the last hour and a half didn't have you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. What a delight, What a delight to have you. Where can people find you? And please plug everything? Well?
Speaker 1: Anyone need blood drawn?
Speaker 2: What about their books kept? Huh? I what do I have?
Speaker 1: A website www dot Allileibagott dot com. You can look get my painting singer and it'll bring you right to my Instagram where there's some more paintings. You can find out about the books I've written there.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, some incredible poetry books and novels. A couple of novels, yes, and novel I mean, this is a very talented person who, despite acting like she needs to find a new job, really has mastered quite a few different careers. Thanks Vanessa.
Speaker 1: Working for your show was one of the cop Hollywood highlights.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that right now. That's very nice. Well, it was a highlight for me too to get to work with you. So I'm rubber your glue blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyways, I'm excited for you to do my knee surgery.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm going to come in with more jokes and quips like that and just kind of figure stuff out and we'll probably just film it for a show. Well, that was really fun. Thank you so much to Allie for joining us, and to everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye out for next week episode of How Did We Get Weird? Well, we will discuss more stories from our childhood than cultural touchstones like pre Internet report cards.