Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club. Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody is d j en Vy, Charlamagne, the gud We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the buildings. A special guests, I should say, we have Nate Burlson and Melanie Few welcome.
Speaker 1: What's up? What's up? How y'all doing? Appreciate you having?
Speaker 2: We got Melanie's chair? Can we live Melanie share please? The mic is all in in front.
Speaker 1: Of the face. I ain't never hold on a little bit.
Speaker 3: There, there we go, there we go, right, there we go, all right everywhere?
Speaker 1: Nate, how you got time to be here? Man? I'm working, but.
Speaker 4: I got a few breaks and then y'all told me to pull up. I'm pulling up, man.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we don't really care about them bum ass cowboys playing tonight anyway. So that's that's how you're starting. The cowboys is falling this year exactly?
Speaker 1: You want to talk about New York teams? No, okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Good, My d is good. Were good, y'all good?
Speaker 1: Though? This morning I wake up at four a m.
Speaker 4: We live at seven, done and nine, and then after that, if I have a shoot in the city, I'm gonna stick around, get that done, or travel out somewhere. But listen, man, I'm blessed and hoighly favored. I'm not tripping about working too much.
Speaker 1: That's right, best blessed, black and highly favored. That's that's it. Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: Now y'all here to talk about the best of Super Bowl Soulful Celebration.
Speaker 1: What is that exactly?
Speaker 6: Am I?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 7: So the Super Bowl Soulful Celebration was originally the Super Bowl Gospel Celebration, and so it is a wonderful, uplifting event that puts a light on players as well as talent, whether it be gospel or RB and soul. And just to give you a little bit of history, I went to Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: But I'm aging myself a bit.
Speaker 7: But back in the early nineties, and I couldn't figure out why there was no gospel event during Super Bowl. So I wrote the NFL, and I wrote them and got seven years of rejection letters. And that's why I know that Bibically, the number eight is about new beginnings, and that's so I know it matters because on the eighth year, they said, well, this lady is crazy and she's gonna keep writing us, so we will sanction you.
Speaker 6: I didn't know what the sanction was.
Speaker 7: I didn't know the importance of it, and I said, well, what is a sanction? I was hoping they were gonna say meet them at the bank somewhere, but they said, we would give you the rights to use our intellectual property to do this event, and so we have been doing it. Now we're coming up on our twenty fifth year. But we wanted to take a moment and look back on the twenty four years beautiful testimonies from players like Russell Wilson and Dione Sanders and some of the most amazing talent from pad Laville to Gladys Knight to Yolanda Adams and Moorees and Fantasia. And so when we were trying to decide, Okay, how do we really look back over these twenty four years and make it a beautiful experience, we immediately thought about Nate to be the person to show our journey.
Speaker 3: You know, because connection with and gospel culture number one.
Speaker 7: We knew that Nate was just an exceptional person. We had done our research on what players and he's his to me, his life is a testimony because a lot of times people feel like players are only good for being on the field. He has shown that he has taken his career in the NFL and shot to the heights of media. To me, that is a testimony. And then not to mention he's fly. The only problem I told Nate we're having with him is all these church women are emailing us and we're having to remind him he's married.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm working for you.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Where is the soulful celebration.
Speaker 6: It's going to be in Las Vegas.
Speaker 7: It's wherever super Bowl is, and so we are usually the Wednesday of the Thursday night before Super Bowl, and it's just like I said, it's an amazing journey. We do a faith and action segment where we've honored everybody from Russell Wilson to Cam Newton to Dion Sanders and others. And we've had everybody God has really been good to us. We've had Tom Brady on the show. We've had Dak Prescott, we have had a lot.
Speaker 5: Of him pray for who I'm a cowboy Fana.
Speaker 6: We were keep him protected.
Speaker 7: And so we've had all these amazing players and really, what it is it weaves up, It tells a story. So we take player testimonies and they talk about their faith and what drives them on the field, and then we blend that with these beautiful performances by people like Yolanda Adams, Fantase, You're, Gladys Knight Done, mccl kirk, Franklin, New Dog Win, his gospel album and all that.
Speaker 6: So it's been.
Speaker 5: I want you to talk about this process, Melanie, because you ought to found an executive producer.
Speaker 1: But how were you able to take.
Speaker 5: This idea and then have the web with all to say I want to partner with a big enterprise like that the NFL.
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 7: I was that little girl when my parents would tell me no, never understood that they really meant it for real.
Speaker 6: So I used to have to get a spanking.
Speaker 7: And so to give you guys an honest opinion, when I went to Super Bowl, I'm gonna tell you that was my before christ days back and we had parted all weekend.
Speaker 6: So we were all.
Speaker 7: We had parted all weekend and we were looking for Jesus by side, come on, somebody smelling.
Speaker 1: Like last night?
Speaker 6: Yeah, real bad.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 7: That's when the Lord gave me the idea to write the NFL and so to make a long story short after and I'll actually tell you guys how it started after writing them. For some reason, I couldn't let the concept go writing them, writing the NFL PA. All these years, they just kept getting those. Finally, and this is a truth.
Speaker 6: Bless his heart. He's deceased now.
Speaker 7: But Jeane Upshaw was alive at the time, and Gene, one of my friends, worked that he didn't realize she was my friend. He was like, y'all, this lady is crazy. She's been emailing us for seven years. Well calling and he was like, I know how.
Speaker 6: I figured out how we're gonna get rid of her. And so they said how. He said, I'm gonna tell her.
Speaker 7: We'll do it, and I you know, get the NFL the Saints her if she can get glad As Night because that was like his favorite singer. So he thought that was gonna be the final nail on the head.
Speaker 1: It was too tall. He didn't know your guy.
Speaker 7: So Gladys is from Atlanta and she went to high school with my aunt. So when I called him, I said, I got Gladys, what's next, what's up? He was like, you're telling a lot I.
Speaker 6: Was like, no, I'm not.
Speaker 7: And so interestingly enough, that first year in nineteen ninety nine in Miami, he said we're gonna do I said, you want to do advanced ticket sales because the money, a lot of the moneys go to charity, different charities, and so I said, you want to do advanced ticket sales because you know, church people really do come out and support faith based consumers. And he was like, hmmm, We're just gonna do a walk up and so he prepared food. It was a blunch back then for three hundred people, and four thousand people showed up, so everybody had to be let in for free. And after that they knew, okay, this is really culturally relevant for you know, this consumer base.
Speaker 6: And so that's what happened.
Speaker 2: So what did y'all do with four thousand people with only three three hundred plates of full.
Speaker 7: Well, they did let the ones. They let everybody in free.
Speaker 6: And that's and it was on the beach that year.
Speaker 7: So that's how you know, we were limited in numbers and seeding.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like the social celebration gets as much as exposure as it should.
Speaker 7: I don't, and probably because I'm really passionate about about whenever something is your baby, you think you could do more. But I'm grateful that we have experienced so many wonderful milestones over the years. We started out, we were broadcast on like the Gospel Music Challenge. Then we went on to be on BT for eight years. And I'm excited because for the first time in our history and the first time in Super Bowl's history, we will be on the network that's carrying the game. Well, it will be first time in the history of black owned event will be on CBS the night before, in prime time, the night before the game. And so I'm telling you I give all the praise and honor because and I also I'm so grateful that God put the team of people who have supported this vision all these years, because if it were up to me, it would have ended a long time ago.
Speaker 6: I couldn't carry this journey to the place.
Speaker 4: They had and Melanie, it also helps that players are more vocal about their faith nowadays.
Speaker 1: You know, people don't realize.
Speaker 4: I know it's a violent sport and you got helmets knocking together and it's a lot of male bravado involved, But you sit in that locker room, guys are praying when they run out on the field, they run to the end zone, drop it on a knee, and then after the game they get together and pray together after the battle. So you know, guys are now creating that parallel between their careers and their walk.
Speaker 1: So it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: And to have Melanie and this platform that she has built for guys to say, yes, I am a man of football, but first I'm a man of faith.
Speaker 1: In this cross section that she has created as awesome.
Speaker 5: One of your intentions made to like try to show that players in a different light. Let people know that, Yo, these are god fearing individual Yeah.
Speaker 4: We all work in media and we know that sometimes the stories that create the most engagement aren't the ones that are the most flattering. So in order to combat that in the way that I can is to show the beautiful things that these guys are doing. And I think there's a lot of players that either or men of faith that seeing it, like the NFL players a quirre or men that lead in their own ways in their communities, and this is a spotlight for that.
Speaker 3: I want to ask.
Speaker 2: You know, back in the day, you wouldn't see as many players praying. Was it something that the league was against because you did you never seen it. I just remember growing up as a kid watching the Giants. Whether it was you know, Lawrence tailing them back there you never seen them praying, or maybe TV just didn't show them.
Speaker 4: I think it was I think it was more TV wasn't showing them. You know, if a camera is panning to guys on the sideline before a game, I think they'd rather show a guy shedding a dramatic tear than someone on the knee mumbling their prayer. I do feel like the league has done a better job of showing that there are men of faith in the NFL, and there's also non believers too, But the spotlight that we have to create is on us.
Speaker 1: He's not on the league.
Speaker 4: You know, we can't expect the league to highlight our walk if we're shy about it. And I think nowadays guys aren't shy about what they do off the field.
Speaker 3: And who's performing this year, who we have on the lineup?
Speaker 1: Do we know yet?
Speaker 7: We haven't announced it yet, and that announcement is coming from CBS, but it's going to be really bigger and better than it's ever been. I will tell you, I was so glad that Nate mentioned the NFL players Choir because I don't know if you guys know this, that is a There is a choir of former and current players that can sing their faces off, and it's been a blessing to take the helmet off and show that there are guys that really have all this amazing talent. You have a classically trained pianist in the group as well as others, and they actually made the final, They made the semi finals of America's Got Talent, And so the shock value of players that can actually sing is is really capturing singer?
Speaker 4: No, no, not a poet, you know, a rapper, you know what I mean. I got bars like that, but I can't sing that. God, God can't bless me with everything.
Speaker 5: God know your heart. He gave you that sense of humor. You dropped a line of watches this year, too, rightnck Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Did something with Shaanola. It was a collaboration brand. You know, it's a Detroit brand. I played ball in Detroit, so I'm like an adopted son. Do a little bit of that. Also have a clothing line. I got a suit line. I gotta get you on some suits. I know, y'all, all I need is your sizes.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hook you up. And my suitent's got the jog.
Speaker 4: Abottom so you can rock it with the kicks.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Melanie.
Speaker 5: Do you ever worry about being compared to like other gospel shows like the Stellar Awards things like that, and what separates you'all from.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, because it's room for everybody.
Speaker 7: But I don't because what's different about this show is we really put a focus on NFL players and their stories and their testimonies, and so that's what makes us stand out. And we don't have just gospel artists. Like I said, We've had everybody from Anita Baker, Rita Franklin when.
Speaker 6: She was alive, so we focused Fresh. We've had Dougie Fresh, it was amazing.
Speaker 7: Speaking of rapping, I think we need to hear some bars from Night before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, you got it.
Speaker 4: And it's a rapoll poem. Now it's more of a poem. First of all, I didn't know you was about to do that.
Speaker 1: So this isn't playing.
Speaker 4: Yes, we talked, were talking gospel, so I gotta remove the whole catalog of.
Speaker 1: The secular stuff. I got something that's fitting.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, there's an artist, his name is Andrew that we've we've collaborated on something. So I've been working on something fully baked out, but I'll see if I can get it out. All right, This is the essence to recognize his presence of the inception of every single blessing. Blessed is the understatement. I know I'm highly favored. Now look to the right. Go ahead and tell your neighbor.
Speaker 1: God is good. God is good all the time, all the time.
Speaker 4: To the left, go ahead, repeat that line all the time. Raised on the biblical but led by the spiritual. You also shatrack me shacking the bendigo. In other words, Babylon and to you and Babylon, I use my words like birds to fly through each and every storm. The Bible says that Daniel means God's gift. I can fish for myself, but even these rods miss little something something, little something.
Speaker 6: Now you want to know why we've chased him down.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure that led to CBS airingot right, Yeah, no, doub out a little bit. You have to go in there and shake up, shake the table a little bit.
Speaker 4: She shakes the table up around there, no, no, no, no, Melanie actually made that happen. I think I was just an added benefit that I worked for CBS.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has the Super Bowl ish year?
Speaker 3: Who's gonna be in the Super Bowl ash year?
Speaker 4: It won't be your Giants. I'm gonna just tell you the Cowboys, the Cowboy. You know the Cowboys are playing with. If I'm looking at the NFC, I think the Cowboys have a shot. Of course, the Eagles are balling, and then the forty nine Ers. Those are my three teams now out of the AFC. The Kansas City Chiefs are still the top dogs. But look out for the Miami Dolphins. Man down in Miami two a tongue of Vilo and Tybriek Hill.
Speaker 1: They are cooking up something.
Speaker 5: You think, Aaron Rodgers, you should play this season? If the doctors give him the green.
Speaker 4: Lake as a player who's been injured, I say no. But Aaron Rodgers doesn't care what I think or other people think. I don't think he's coming back because he's getting paid a certain amount of money. I don't think he's coming back because he thinks suggests can make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I think he's coming back for.
Speaker 4: A majority of his career, he has done what people said he couldn't do. Maybe that's ego, Maybe that's bravado. Maybe that's the mindset of one of the greats. They all have it where they have this switch in their hair what they think, even though you tell me I can't do it, I'm gonna do it to prove you wrong.
Speaker 1: I bet you that's a part of it.
Speaker 4: I'm not speaking for him, but as an athlete on the outside looking in, and that's what he's doing. For him to have this surgery, which is typically a nine to twelve month injury, and he's back in a couple of months, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Have things changed that much in regards to how people will treat acls.
Speaker 4: That achilles and typically the normal surgery he would have been out the whole season would have been done, but he had some type of new procedure that allows his body to heal differently. But I'll tell you this, though, I think there's something that's sick and twisted about athletes. When Adrian Peterson towards Aco, he came back in like five six month and we praised him and this dude's an alien and we love that. Like I to ac I was trying to get back, and I wanted to people. I wanted people to whisper and say, man, he came back so fast and look at him.
Speaker 1: He still got the juice. He can run, jump and do all the things he used to do.
Speaker 4: I think there's a part of athletes that want to defy the odds I want. I think Aaron Rodgers wants people to whisper, Yo, look at him. Dude, ain't from this earth the way he came back from that Achilles. Because there's so many things he can hold onto this year. I don't think he's gonna win a super Bowl. Nope, he's not going to break any records. He's not gonna catch Tom Brady when it comes to Super Bowls. But he can put this on his discount double belt and say I came back from Achilles faster than any other athlete in history.
Speaker 1: I think that's why he's playing. Wow.
Speaker 2: And what I wanted to ask with the NFL, right, Yeah, I feel like a lot of players get hurt, try not to hurt other players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, goa happen.
Speaker 3: So what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: And of course when it comes to people say they soften it up, even with the with the quarterback, and I feel like even when they play with the quarterback, like the quarterback fake slide and keep running, but the players don't want to hit him and it kind of messes up the games.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts on the NFL loosening up some of those doors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know your stuff, man, You know what I'm saying. Even though I've seen you in the football jersey, you didn't really fill it out.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I play for.
Speaker 1: The way Yeah kills out the jersey. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why he's demanded hoseat your mouth.
Speaker 4: You know what, That's a really good question because the rules have changed so much to protect the players that as a wide receiver, I'm running across the middle, I know that you can't hit me because I'm a defenseless player. So if I go out for the ball and it's not there yet and you take me out, a flag is up. Now as a defender, the whole mindset is different. Your gaze of the play is that I am going to try to hit him to knock this ball out, but I can't get there before him, so I have to let him catch it and then react. And if you're aiming right here, but all of a sudden, I get scared and dug damn on. Now your helmet's hitting my helmet. Whose fault is it? What it looks like it's yours, right helmet to helmet. That defender was wrong, but in reality, I count a little bit and I changed my target, so that accidentally led to a flag and maybe a penalty and then also a fine. Now you have defenders that have to think about all that in a split second, and most of them are like, you know what, I'm not gonna try to knock this dude out or knock the ball out because if I do, I can get fined, I can get kicked out of the game, and that sometimes leads to him being injured.
Speaker 1: As an offensive player.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for defenders now because I can run free and do whatever I want. Now, their second guess in what makes them good, which is the impact.
Speaker 3: And even with the quarterbacks, like I've seen quarterbacks fake slide right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, Dan Jones did that. I think that's a fake slide and kept running. That's a problem because you know you fake slide. Basically you're saying, don't hit me. I'm giving myself up.
Speaker 1: Which defenders have to fit his to So.
Speaker 3: Now you fake slide. I'm about to give up, but you keep running.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. That's a little trickeration right there.
Speaker 4: I think they'll address that this off season, you know, because you can't as a quarterback look at the defender and act as if you're going to face slide and then everybody lets up on the play.
Speaker 3: As if it's It's like flopping in the NBA.
Speaker 4: No doubt it's like flopping in the NBA. But I think these things will be addressed. As much as I want guys to be protected, because I'm all for guys getting as much money as they can from the league and then walking away healthy. I do feel like that old school grittiness that makes the game fun to watch.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely. You also recently talked about about with depression.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you.
Speaker 5: Think NFL and teams do enough to help players who may be dealing with, you know, depression and other mental health issues.
Speaker 4: I think they're doing a better job because players have spoke up. Players have battled with mental health issues, not just in the off season, but as they retire and shout out to Yesterdyear, the older generation.
Speaker 1: They played in an era where it was.
Speaker 4: Taboo for guys to talk about things like this, and some of us, some of them, are no longer with us, and as young puffs in the league, we paid attention to all of those who came before us.
Speaker 1: We heard the stories.
Speaker 4: We heard about guys like Junior Seau, who were well respected Hall of famers, ended up taking his life. So for us now in the league, in a society that welcomes, that embraces that says, all right, come here, we'll give you a warm hug of mental health conversation, the NFL has embraced it. Some teams even have a therapist on staff that they have an open door to walk into on a weekly daily basis if they need to. You can always do a better job, not just the NFL, but in our workplace in general. But what I do know, and I'm super proud of guys in the league for, is that they're not afraid to talk about it. People think that a locker room was full of grade A AHOs and we don't talk about mental health. We're not inclusive. It's not the case. I've been in a few different locker rooms over the course of my career and we were embracing of everything, whether it was your sexual identity, sexual preference, your religion, your race, your culture, even your bouts with mental health. And as long as I'm on TV and have a platform, I'm gonna continue to talk about it, not just for the players, but also for my kids. I got a nineteen year old shout Out the Little Nate, a seventeen year old Nehemia, and my daughter's thirteen. I want them to be able to come to me, shed a tear, I'll cry with them and then we can get over it together. So I gotta walk the walk if I want to talk to talk.
Speaker 3: Do you kids play football?
Speaker 1: Yeah? My two oldest play play football.
Speaker 4: I got my older son plays wide receiver at University of Nevada scholarship athlete, and then my seventeen year old just finished the season at Ramapo. They lost in the championship game. My daughter plays volleyball, but my boys do play football.
Speaker 3: Did you want them to?
Speaker 2: Because a lot of parents that play, a lot of professional players don't want their kids to play for.
Speaker 4: I wanted them to, but I didn't push them to. And I wasn't afraid of the injuries because I knew if they played sports. Whether it was football, basketball, track, or whatever, it's inevitable. There was a one hundred percent injury rate in sports. It's an inevitability that you will get banged up. The severity of it depends on the type of sport you're playing. Now, my boys have had significant injuries. I remember my oldest when he was sophomore. I get a call and they're like, you got to come to practice now. It was his little brother who was playing on the younger team. This is high school and I already knew my stomach dropped. We get there and the trainer walks up to us with a soft voice and says he heard his arm he got rolled up on. It was accidental. And then they bring him over. Hees tears in his eyes, but he's not crying, and I'm like, so tell me about it. They're like, well, I think he broke his arm. How bad is it? They wouldn't really say, And I know what that means. That means it's way worse than they're letting it off. So we get in the car and as soon as we start hitting those bumps on the way to the hospital, my son is crying, ball in his eyes out everybody in the car is crying. I'll never forget this conversation because as he is crying, he says, I never want to play this sport again.
Speaker 1: I'm done.
Speaker 4: Why is this always me? He had a few injuries before that, and he's like, f this sport. And I repeated him. I said, the sport that football. You don't ever have to play football. I said, this is about you. When you heal up, we can walk away from the sport forever. And that stuck with me because I thought my son would never pick up a football again. At his surgery, played some screws, held up rehab. Six months later, he's back on that field, finished the season, So it was his decision.
Speaker 1: Was his decision right, So I leave it up to my kids.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's more benefits than there are negatives. One, whether it's injuries, not playing, getting bench, you're gonna have to deal with stuff in life. It's parallels everything we go through football is also this. Michael Cosmo, what what society is a lot of people can't coexist with their coworkers.
Speaker 1: In football.
Speaker 4: You got fifty something dudes on the roster, all from different walks of life. The common goal is to win. If you can do that, by the time you get to college and walk into the American workforce, you'll be good. You'll you'll make life more about others than it is about you.
Speaker 1: That's why I left football.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, we appreciate you guys. Tell them whe they can see the Super Bowl soul Full celebration. And it's sad because I go to the Super Bowl most of the time every year. Honestly, I didn't know about it. I'm just And also it's usually because if it's on a Wednesday, most people get there Thursday Friday.
Speaker 7: You know, it used to be on Thursday, but we do Wednesday, so we have extra time to edit and make it right. And now that we're on CBS, we need the extra time to it's got to be up to their standards.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Period, you know, go.
Speaker 1: And sell on the first, right, they're gonna sell on the first.
Speaker 6: If you all happen to be in town, please.
Speaker 3: Come absolutely well, thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 1: You'll have in us and the whole tickets going sell December fir Us.
Speaker 5: You can go to the ticket Maath and get your tickets for the best of Super Bowl Soulful Celebration.
Speaker 3: Today. That's today, today, today, today, this is tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So this is tomorrow, yes today, yes, today, right now.
Speaker 5: Tickets are on sale right to watches too for the best of Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Watch.
Speaker 3: There we go, there we go, thank you.
Speaker 1: Watch yeah you know, a little some every day watch you can wear, you go, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, thank you.
Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.