Speaker 1: When you say second chances, I tell people I don't believe in second chances. And I pause. You don't believe in second chances? What you're in this position for it, you don't believe in second chances. I come to understand that they need better chances. You can give them a second, third, fourth, ninety times and they'll keep going to prison. Why because some of them never had a first chance.
Speaker 2: Welcome to an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney, I'm a normal guy. I'm a husband, I'm a father, I'm an entrepreneur, and I've been a football coach in inner city Memphis. And the last part it unintentionally led to an oscar for the film about our team called Undefeated. Guys. I believe our country's problems will never be solved by a bunch of fancy people in nice suits using big words that nobody else uses on CNN and Fox, but rather an army of normal folks, US just you and me deciding, Hey, I can help. That's what Lee Robbins, the voice we just heard, has done. This pastor and businessman never expected to find himself in prison, and yet there he was, And so he decided to dive in serving the minds and souls of the men around him, and when he got out, he then started a re entry program called Vital Signs, which has helped over eighteen hundred returning citizens and boast a recidivism rate of only two percent. In my favorite part, this model of his it's self sustaining. I cannot wait for you to meet Pastor Lee right after these brief messages from ours ander sponsors, And I'm gonna tell you guys something you know who likely won't be a sponsor of an army of normal folks is Regius. We rented a space at the office rental company to do this very interview, but their employee was late and wasn't there to open the office for us to do the interview, so we had to move. The worst part about not showing up is they also refused to refund our reservation that they never made happen. The only reason I'm telling you this is when we moved. We moved to a hotel across the street, and we actually recorded this interview in a public space there, which obviously has people in it, so during the interview you might hear people walking around to the background. Occasionally it doesn't happen too often. But if you hear that, it's not Alex the producer adding in some kind of weird background noise for effect. It's actually people walking around. But thanks to Regis, that's the best opportunity we had to complete our interview. And if Regis is still listening, happy to take the refund and the rest of us we'll get back to the episode. Lee Robbins, what's up?
Speaker 1: What's up? What's up? Is just I'm here with you, man.
Speaker 2: Man, I've were in Atlanta. We'll get to what you're doing and what you've been doing for sure. But where'd you grow up? Where are you from?
Speaker 1: I'm all the way from Agetown, Houston, Texas.
Speaker 2: Houston, Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the ghettos of Houston, Texas. Tell me about the ghettos. What Ward it's actually the South Park is next to Third Ward. You've probably known the Astrodome, sure, all right, So it's right down the road from the astrodown right, And it is a place where it's heavy poverty. You know, it's really a ghetto, ghetto place. It's Compton. It's kind of.
Speaker 2: The Compton of Houston.
Speaker 1: Yes, siblings, Yeah, I got two brothers and two sisters, five.
Speaker 2: Of us, five of you, and mom and dad at home.
Speaker 1: Actually, Mom raised five kids as a maid. Where dad go Dad? They divorced when I was four and Dad was doing his thing, you know, and my mom was forced to raise the me and my siblings, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and.
Speaker 1: Very tough, very tough time. You know, no transportation for her. She had to use the city bus to go from job to job, house to house as a maid. She was a drunkard herself. I can see my mom coming home. She was an alcoholic, alcoholic, drinking a lot, and embarrassed about the kids, you know, I mean embarrassed in front of the kids, my friends when my mom was drunk coming home, staggering from one side of the street to the other side.
Speaker 2: So when you were at home, you were embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I was very embarrassed of my mo. Uh what where.
Speaker 2: Were you in the group of kids? What number were.
Speaker 1: You next to? The youngest?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know, did the did the oldest almost help raise you guys too?
Speaker 1: Exactly? I'm my sister, she's the oldest. And then I had a brother, and then another sister didn me, then another brother, you know, so she was pretty much Arma.
Speaker 2: So did you. Uh, I guess no transportation. You went to school in the hood wherever school was.
Speaker 1: Three miles walking to school, and uh, you know, I can remember walking to school with my my shoes, the soles of my shoes out at times, and socks getting wet, and you know you're going to school rain sleep, it's you're going to be.
Speaker 2: My grandmother and grandfather grew up in the Depression, and I had some loafers that i'd worn a I don't know about a half dollar size hold just right in the in the soul, and they took some cardboard, cut out a disk and tucked it in my shoe. And I had I had cardboard covering a hole in my shoe for about two or three weeks. So I know what that's like. And it's all right until it rains. Say that cardboard gets siggy, and if he get wet and defeat stink.
Speaker 1: Et ter exactly. And everybody don't want to sit next to you. They want to sit next to that guy with the stinking tea. Absolutely, So you did you?
Speaker 2: Did you stay all the way through high school in this area in South south Park, South Park? So you graduated high school from the school in South Park.
Speaker 1: Yes, I graduated from high school. You know, I did some things as in the litle football good you know, play Dad kept me out of play some basketball. I don't even know if you remember the five Slammer Jammers back in the day.
Speaker 2: Who would not remember a chem olajuon Clyde Dressler and who is the third one?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah young?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah right sure? But yeah, but why that's everybody in Houston was just set on fire by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I mean that's a that's a rememberable thing because all they did was slam Yeah, that's right. Well I mentioned them because those are the guys that I used to play against. I was all American in high school basketball.
Speaker 2: You were all American American high ball?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And were you really? Yes?
Speaker 1: I used to play against them guys in high school.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you? Did you go? Okay, so you graduated and you went to the University of Houston. Did you go to Houston to play basketball?
Speaker 1: I went to Houston to play basketball. But then I didn't pass the physical and tell me flat feet, they didn't even want to deal with me even in America. Yeah, and then I had then I had of course I had an injury too, and then I thought, man, do I want to have a surgery, do I want to play basketball? Or what would I do with my with my life right now? It was a deciding factor. I decided at that time that I was going to be a preacher. And they's like, what do you want to be a preacher for.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come out, You're talking about like your freshman year in college. Yes, so the reason you went to the University of Houston was basketball. Well that's what I was trying to get to is what got you to the University of Houston. And now this comes up. Basketball? You have to you could hoop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I had a little something and I still think I got something. But you know, the mind is you know, it's not the mind is there, but the body is not there.
Speaker 2: Right all right? So now basketball is gone and you're a freshman at the University of Houston.
Speaker 1: You say, I want to be a preacher, right, So what's your major. It's actually business computer information Systems. Because I thought that doesn't job, that doesn't jie because I thought, man, preachers are poor. I don't want to be no preacher. I mean, I have a heart to want to help people, but they're poor. They don't have no money, you know. So I say, let me get my degree in business computer information system in business, and then I can get that degree, first start working and then support myself.
Speaker 2: And then I can do what I really like doing. I sold, where did the where did the draw to faith come from? I mean, despite your mother's alcoholism and the poverty. Were y'all always in church on Sundays or not?
Speaker 1: Really? When I saw that much destruction in my life and I thought, man, it's got to be a better life. It's got to be something better than this. And I can remember making a deal with God. I said, God, if I can stop smoking dope and get off these drugs myself, then I don't need you.
Speaker 2: So where were you smoking weed in high school?
Speaker 1: Or in high school? I started when I was eight years old, really eight to fifteen. I was smoking dope, you know, and I was going to be a drug dealer. Actually, my brother taught me how to sell drugs. I had people. That's where I learned most of my business skills from. I was franchising, you know, people working for us on the streets, you know, doing our business right. And I thought, man, this is not a good life for me. And so I decided, if I can't stop this myself, then that means I don't have the strength to do this, and I need to trust something bigger than myself. And I made a deal with God. I said, if I can't stop it in thirty days, I'm giving my life over to you. Well, in twenty nine days, I failed.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. So the truth is you're a kid born into poverty with an absent father and an alcoholic mother, and you're doing what the streets bring you. And you happen to be talented basketball player, but right you're in the streets doing kids stuff. And because of your basketball you're able to get to the University of Houston. Absolutely, And there you said, well let me try this management information computer systems things because maybe I make some money. Yes, and that's that. That's that, And you graduate from Houston with that degree, with that degree, and you still want to be a preacher.
Speaker 1: I I'm a preacher, you know, but I'm one that probably unorthodox preacher. I mean, I'm you know in terms of I'm not the one with the suit on Sunday and preaching, and you know, I don't like the flamboyance of a lot of that. I just I just want to be a normal dude that has the Lord in his heart and his life and love on people.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you go to Tulsa because you want to get your degree, your masters, I think from or Robbers.
Speaker 1: Yes, I decided to go to Old Roberts to get my master's and in divinity.
Speaker 2: In divinity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a three year degree. And Tulsa, okahom is really like the harbor of Christian schools.
Speaker 2: You're in Tulsa and you start a business, is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What? What? What? What spurred the business?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, in school student, you doing full time classes, no money.
Speaker 2: No doubt. I was with you or yeah, broke.
Speaker 1: Broke in poor and I thought, well, I need to make some money. So I remember my cousin who's got an accounting firm, a tax firm, and I had spent a summer or two there learning that business and that kind of thing, and I thought, well, maybe I can franchise.
Speaker 2: Like preparing tax like an H and R Block thing, tax a tax.
Speaker 1: Deal, a tax preparation company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you have to be an accountant? You don't have to be an account necessarily to have one of those.
Speaker 1: No. No, he was the CPA over our company, and you know, he checked all the documents and stuff like that. But I was just doing regular tax returns, bookkeeping.
Speaker 2: Busy, busy, busy during taxis.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, And then we tapped into an industry of barbers and hairstylists who would not prepare their tax returns. They wouldn't do their tax returns, but they couldn't get cars and houses and stuff that they couldn't prove their records. So that was an industry I got into, okay, and started getting a bunch of barbers and hairstylists and.
Speaker 2: A lot of people who have a lot of cash, right, yeah, all right, So you're doing that while you're going to school. Well, I'm going to school, all right. And so basically you're preparing taxes for folks, correct, all right and helping them hopefully clean up their cash heavy businesses.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, in a legal way, in a legal way. It was a niche in that business.
Speaker 2: I thought, any little money doing it, why are you in school?
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right?
Speaker 2: And so do you graduate from or Roberts?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I graduated from L Roberts. The business was doing well and making six figures at this point franchising the business.
Speaker 2: How old are you at this time?
Speaker 1: I'm twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Are you married?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not married at this time. I got married. I was thirty two. I got it, and so I'm just I'm a franchise. I have this entrepreneur background I learned back in the drug got it and I saw. I was like, I'm a franchise this man, I'm gonna start getting I got five offices open. We're doing thousands and thousands of dollars worth of tax returns in this industry and this niche and everybody loving you know, hey, listen, I can still report my taxes. I can do it, and uh, you know, I don't have to do stuff under the table. Now I can report my financials and get me a house. And the people that you're serving, yeah right, yeah, they're like, oh man, I love this bit. So they bring me on, pay me monthly residual income, and this is growing. And so I graduated from Old Roberts, you know, and it allowed me to be able to go and buy a house in Georgia. So I'm doing good in Georgia. I left that office in Tulsa, Oklahoma to one of the employees there.
Speaker 2: All right, hang on, okay, so why Georgia.
Speaker 1: Georgia's my wife and I you know, our ministry it was a multicultural ministry.
Speaker 2: Well, we're jumping. So during the growing of the business, you do meet your wife, I do in Tulsa. In Tulsa, all right, and you guys get married. We get married, and now your business has grown and you're married, and you decide you want to move to Georgia for the ministry, not for the business.
Speaker 1: Right for the ministry. And so we thought Georgia was a very segregated place. You know, our ministry of multiculturalism can can thrive, and so we can explain multicultural was most multiculturalism multi racial, you know, multiple races. Culture is coming together in one place, you know, looks like one church. It didn't matter what color you are, would race, what culture, we're bringing it together, right because we want to look like Heaven.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know who said it, but it's been said that the most segregated day in the United States is Sunday.
Speaker 1: Correct, absolutely, eleven o'clock hour on Sunday.
Speaker 2: And so you're trying to, yeah, to blend.
Speaker 1: That, trying to blend that, because let me.
Speaker 2: Ask that, how you gonna how you're gonna blend black folks who are used to two and a half hour services with white folks who are ready to go in one hour? How you do that? What do you have an hour and thirty minutes? Is that the compromise? How that work?
Speaker 1: There was a lot of compromising with my wife, and I met my wife in seminary and so when we uh, we were actually act the professor, how do you start a multiculture church? Because we haven't seen nothing like that out there back.
Speaker 2: Because it's not just black and white. Yeah, it's actually there's there's such a difference in the way that black and white people worship the same.
Speaker 1: God, absolutely absolutely, So what do you do? Well, the professors didn't know. They're like, we ain't never seen he said. They said, when you guys go out there and start a church, you know, you write the book and we'll teach it. That's all I say. Okay. Then I started asking the Lord said how do we start a multiculture church? And gives he gives me one word from scratch, just start over, just do it, field it from scratch, right, And I said, what does that look like? He said, look at the music that you play, make sure it's multicultural. Look at your leadership, make it it it looks multicultural. The way your preaching style. You can't be hooping all the time. You got to teach something right. And then look at the timing. You know, don't spend these hours long hours in services. They can want to come back next week.
Speaker 2: So I took I took two of them. I'm an ass football players one time to church with me. I did it a lot. This particular time, I took two clowns. Man, I love these kids with clowns, right. They were the ones that I got mad at and made run laps all the time. But Lord have mercy. When I was on the way home, I was dying laughing because they were her layers. I couldn't let them know. They got me, man, they got me, right. So I take them to church, and uh, the offering plate came around, and uh, they didn't put none in it. And the first the first kid, didn't put nothing in it, and then dre put his money in it. And he nudged Chartavius and Chartavius when we had and put the money in it. And jar Tevis said, man, I ain't got but you know, one dollar, and I needed to wait, and Trey goes, don't you know, this thing's only coming around one time. They ain't got no building fund this place here paid for.
Speaker 1: That's a difference.
Speaker 2: But it taught me a lesson because after church, I said, we were all talking about they like coaching. Our church offer play comes from three times man, And I said really. They said yeah, because you got the regular offering, then you got the building funds, then you got the wellness check fauns or whatever. And he said you got to keep it up money and pocket your every time it comes wrath.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: That is so true.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. Yeah, so I get it. You're doing a multicultural church, but there's a lot of different stuff to it.
Speaker 1: It is it is, you know, by the way, I'm in a multicultural relationship, right, Okay, we got mixed children, and so it's it's kind of organic for us, you know, sure, right, it's in our life. So when you come to the front door, if you're not if you don't have a multicultural mindset, you're probably not going to probably join our church.
Speaker 2: And now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first, I hope you'll subscribe to the podcast so that you'll get the newest episodes in your library every week. And also consider signing up to join the Army at Normalfolks dot us because together we can change the country. And you'll also receive weekly email updates about the Army. We'll be right back. You start this church in I guess Atlanta area, is that right? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we start in Atlanta area.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you do it because Atlanta has lots.
Speaker 1: Of culture in it, right, and very segregated.
Speaker 2: All right, and it is very segregated. And so but you got this business that you built is still operating back in Tulsa, Tulsa and the related area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tulsa. And then we did expand here to Georgia as well, and four of the offices here in that one office in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so what happened.
Speaker 1: So we're doing well, we're building the church. Hundreds and hundreds of members are coming.
Speaker 2: We left that to when you say you're building a church, do you have a fixed facility yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a fourteen thousand square footage building.
Speaker 2: Wow, Then you are building a church, building a church physical church.
Speaker 1: Yes, and people and it's just growing and growing and we're just having the best time of our lives. My wife and I were growing. Everything is happening like we thought it would happen. And then Tulsa, the employee there, started doing stuff under the table that I knew nothing about. You know. He started doing tax returns on the side, not within the company now, and so he's using the company's name, but he's not reporting it because he's getting cash on the side, lovely, but he's using my name because because I owned the business, he used my office, all our resources, and he's getting this stuff on the side. And so he started helping his friends out a little bit on the tax returns. Because everything we do is very conservative. We're watching everything that comes through is check two or three times. We got CPA looking at it, making sure everything's good. He didn't send it through that process because he's getting money on the side, you know. So and then he gets in trouble. He gets in to the point where he gets indicted. Then it's my company and he tells me he's getting indicted, and then I come down to try to save him. You know, this is I can't believe this guy's doing tax returns correctly. I'm thinking, well, because they thinking I'm the big fish of the whole company, let's indict him too. So I get indicted and and so now we're in a we're going to go to trial. A lot of times people take please when you're getting indicted by the face, I wasn't gonna take the plea. And even the prosecutor said he's not going to take a plea because he's not going to allow on himself. He's a preacher. So she was right exactly. And so I told my lawyer at the best lawyer that you could ever have went to trial, and uh and second day, first day, second day, third day in trial, we're winning. When I say we're winning, I'm saying that it's obvious to the judge and the jury.
Speaker 2: They can't put a case on you if you didn't have anything to do with it.
Speaker 1: And every time I go in other than I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and I'll candor own a business and you are responsible for the people to work for you, exactly names on it.
Speaker 1: That's exactly.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The crown's heavy, the crown is heavy.
Speaker 2: And so so you did have responsibility that you didn't properly oversee your employee exactly. I mean, that's what I from a business from a business owner's perspective, right, I guess if I'm putting myself in your shoe, my my sin and this and my problem in this is allowed a little bit of a lack of control inside the institution. But still that can that's not necessarily criminal. I don't think.
Speaker 1: No, well, it's not criminal. It's not. It's not righteous, but it's not criminal either. It's not it's it's it's it could be. You know, like I said before, it goes all the way back for hiring this particular person.
Speaker 2: This is that's a mistake.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. This person, Uh, the reason why I hired him is because he lost the job. He was going to my church. He lost the job in Tulsa, and he has a wife and four kids, and I I knew why he lost that job, but that didn't pay much attention to it.
Speaker 2: So he had some shady pass.
Speaker 1: He had some He took a company truck out of town and wasn't supposed to and got fired. And this guy's working. I brought him on board because I wanted him to make some money and take care of his family. There's something to be learned about that is that doing good things versus doing god things. Right, I did. A good thing is bringing somebody on in spite of their past and giving them an opportunity. Right the god thing that God said do that. And when I look back hindsight, God never said told me to do that.
Speaker 2: I had a mentor when I grew up, and he used to say that your heart's ego gets in the way of your mind too often. And he said, and you want to know how I can prove that to you. I said sure. He said, have you ever felt when something goes wrong and thought to yourself, I knew I shouldn't have done that. And I said, everybody's felt that. And he said, well, win, something blows up and your first response is I knew I shouldn't have done that. That means your brain gave you the right answer to that quandary, but you chose to ignore your brain because your ego thought you knew better.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is that is the truth.
Speaker 2: That is what in my mentor told me. He said, when your brain's telling you not to do something and your ego is telling you to do something, take a deep breath and listen, because your brain will give you the answer to any question you ask it, if you'll just shut yourself down long enough.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And if you got a wife right there that was like close this office down. You don't need his office.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, but he's going to lose his job. He's gonna lose he can't take care of his family.
Speaker 2: Three days into the court over all of this, despite the mistake that you made with the guy, and again not hammering you, but I get it out of business. You know, you you you pay for those fakes. But still you may be held accountable to some losses or whatever, but you're not losing a criminal case because they're not able to because they can't rightly connect dots that aren't there. And you didn't know this was going on, right, I did not know this. So you feel like three days you're at least winning the criminal portion.
Speaker 1: Of this, still coming to court. Can you point out mister robb is in the courtroom, never seen my face. Did he do your taxes?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah? So? Oh so the people that they were that he was doing the work for, they were testifying. I never met this guy, never met this guy. There was this other guy who I was with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy is the one that did my taxes. I know him, right, So they never met me before, right, Yeah, So I'm you know. Third day, fourth we went in the case, and then all of a sudden something changed in the trial. They put a tax return up. It had a company stamp on it, my company stamp. But the one that we had as evidence against us didn't have a company stamp on it.
Speaker 2: You think they stamped it, Yeah, I think they You think they forged evidence? Yes, the prosecutor forged a yes for real? Now, yes, I mean does that really happen nowadays?
Speaker 1: Really happened then and still happening today. They forced these documists, and I'm gon tell you how I know it's really happened. My lawyer cross examined the same document. And as he was crossing examined with the same witness that they had on the stand, he was bringing up this difference, and all of a sudden, six prosecutors go down in their chair, sliding down in their chair, and the proceedings stopped. The whole proceeding stop. This is the middle of the day, this is a busy court. The whole proceeding stop and it's going to now start over the next day.
Speaker 2: Why so that can regroup.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so when the next morning my lawyer all of a sudden tells me he's got five years of tax returns. He has not done your own attorney, my own attorney after a year's preparation.
Speaker 2: Good lord.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, why are you telling me this? Now, this is a conflict of interest. But no, we got you man, We're gonna win this case. You remember they they tried to change those documents on you. So he wants to keep me in the trial. I'm saying, I didn't figure all this out. And then until they finished their trial. They the prosecutors finished their part of the trial. Now it's our time. I never had a trial put up. I never had a case put up. He never recalled any witnesses, he never went back we examined the documents. He's never done. He had some character witnesses come up at the end.
Speaker 2: So is he getting out of his five years of mess by railroad in the whole deal?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So his closing arguments is this, you know the prosecutors the state really won this trial? Is how overt this was they really won this trial my client. They closed my client's office down and look at your tax dollars being used. Very well, that's his closing argument.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I got thrown under the bus, you know. So I'm like, can you before that? And these back up? Before that, I said, can you put me on the stand, because they put the co defendant on the stand with a new lawyer, which was an ex prosecutor, to say he never did any tax returns.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, he.
Speaker 1: Did no tax returns and this is his office there. And then it was my time. I said, well, you need to put me up there so I can say I didn't do the tax returns because it's his word against my word. I liked, say, I don't have any questions for you.
Speaker 2: Wow, I have.
Speaker 1: No questions for you. I said, you have to have some questions for me. You can't, we can't. And I'm thinking, I've never been in trouble. I never not like this before. If I say anything, they're going to hold me contempt at court. Da dah dah. I need to talk to my lawyer. And so by time it was over. Long story short, I got found guilty of false tax returns and was acquitted of conspiracy. My co defendant, which is the employee, got acquitted of both.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it was because I was not able to speak for myself on that. They had him for sixty five counts they had me for fifteen or the same sixty five counts because there's this conspiracy there. If they would have found me guilty of all him and me guilty, I could have done fifteen years. So if there were was a blessing that came out of this when they didn't find him guilty, they only gave me three and a half years of false tax attorneys.
Speaker 2: But now you've got to do three and a half years. Yeah, we'll be right back. So you are how many children do you have at this point? I have three children at this point. You have all three of the children.
Speaker 1: So no, no, no, excuse me, no, not at this point. I think we had two at this point. Yeah, and the third one came in two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: So you have you have come from the projects and the ghetto of Houston. You have a degree, an undergraduate degree, a graduate degree. You built a business, and now you've built a multicultural church in Georgia and you're fiking to go to jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I can remember my and married and married with children, and you're going to jail. I'm going to turn myself in, and that.
Speaker 2: Does feel like well, forget forget that, I mean absent the fact that you had to have felt railroaded. That would be anger and frustration everything, And I get that. What I'm talking about is, I mean, I know where I came from, and I know I didn't have much nothing coming up, and I know I've reached a point in my life where at least I've been able to provide for my family and myself and have some level of success in my life. And for to all be stripped away, I think I would feel desperate. I mean, what did you feel?
Speaker 1: Empty?
Speaker 2: Empty?
Speaker 1: I felt like I was forsaken by God, forsaken by man. And I was disappointed with myself. Yeah, I was very disappointed because I made some decisions.
Speaker 2: Because I had got you, you partnered up with this guy that you wasn't any good anyway.
Speaker 1: I didn't. At first, I was. I was bitter. I was very bitter about that, and I had to I had to come to this understanding that that I was I was flawed, you know, because when I was in prison. I was angry with everybody, the judge, the prosecutors, everybody, you know, the co defendant. Myself, I'm just madd that's fair enough. Yeah, I'm there, and then you go and you get in prison. My wife dropped me off. First of all, I'm looking at my children. I'm thinking, I'm not going to ever see them in this context, at least for another three and a half years. Right, drop them off at the daycare, and then they kissing me just like normal. They don't have a they don't have to like, they don't know. So here I am. I'm getting dropped off at prison. I'm saying, these these prison, these these uh these bars, and I'm looking at these these wired barb bar fence and they talk to you, they literally talk to you, and they say you're going nowhere for three years, for thirty years, for fifty years, and you get this sickness. Everybody feels this sickness. I found out it's just this pit. It's just you don't know what to do with all this. You're angry, you're upset.
Speaker 2: You know, some people no longer have control over anything. Their light. You're told when the shower shave.
Speaker 1: There's no big eyes, no little us in prison. I don't care who it was. You could have been a multi million there, or you can be just a person, a poor person off the street. Doesn't matter. Everybody get treated the same, which is like crap, like crap, you get nothing, they tell you it gets nothing coming here. You have no divine I can remember I said, I'm divinely favored. You know, they say no, you're not in here.
Speaker 2: So how this felt? Was just empty and desperate.
Speaker 1: Just empty and desperate.
Speaker 2: And your lard must be breaking as you're saying goodbye to your family.
Speaker 1: And this happens on a regular basis when they come to visitation. But we'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: But what I'm thinking is that first day. And then also I'm sitting here as i'm thinking through talking to you about this. You also you're losing everything. I mean, how can you run a church when you're not there and your business is gone? Yeah, so you've come from nowhere, built up the shirts and this business and it's over.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 2: And how are you going to take care of your wife and kids?
Speaker 1: But she never worked outside the house. I don't know how they're gonna make it now. I don't know we're gonna So you got to be desperate, just desperate, depressed, down and out, don't know what to do, didn't want to pray, couldn't pray because I'm mad at God. Just think about it. You just you're at a state where you're like, hout in the world. I got here in the first place. I'm blaming everybody else but myself. Right then, I then there was something that happened while I was in prison going through all these emotions. After I did my appeal, I lost the appeal, losing it meaning that they're not going to answer it, never answered it to this day. So I'm like, Okay, then God shows me as I'm.
Speaker 2: Important for the listeners, losing appill does. And they reviewed your case and found you guilty again. They just said, no, no, we ain't revisiting. That's what we're calling this closed. That's right, so quick, rightness, good rightness. So you didn't really lose an appeal. You're just never gonna get an appeal hurt right, Okay, exactly, But yeah, you cling to a little hope of an appeal, right, and when that's over, you lose all that.
Speaker 1: Hope to go into another spiral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it a depressent. Yeah. I've spoken with people who have explained that the appeal only like one tenth of one percent of appeals actually go anywhere. But the reason so many people send them out is they many of them don't even think they have a chance, but it just offers them some shred of hope that is non existent.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. So I'm in I'm in the prison, in the courtyards of the prison. This is when things really started shifting and turning around in my mindset. I'm watching these guys stealing out of the kitchen right bread. I'm like, what you locked up? I mean, you're still still and they got you already, what you're doing. They got cameras around here, you know, and uh. And then all of a sudden, this familiar voice in my mind start speaking, do you think these bones can live right here? And I'm like, this familiar voice is how God talks to me in my mind. I said, you know why you're talking to me. I don't want to talk to you. And he said, I want you to speak life to those dry bones right there. I want you to speak likely speak life to them. Yes, I want you to speak life to them. And then he said, I want you to look at the four winds and I want you to speak life to the four winds, to speak life to them. And what that meant to me was that I was supposed to in spite of my situation. I was to bring hope in a dark place because I had the goods to do that.
Speaker 2: I had the that you have one. You have the pedigree, right because you've actually got a master's in divinity and you built church, so you had the chops. Yeah, you had the elect You had to know how, just had to have to want to. I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one two was not there until God started showing me.
Speaker 2: Myself, now you're going to start a well, that was the first thing that went outreaching well.
Speaker 1: It was the first thing to start changing my heart, you know. And then he showed me another thing. He said, you remember when I told you to close that office and then I confirmed that with my wife. Yeah, with your wife, Yeah, which is my second holy spirit, which you did what I did, and I'm like, I'm gonna do a good thing. Yeah, he said, remember I told you to close that. You didn't do it. He said, that is sinn to me. He said, with no more, no more or less sin than Adam.
Speaker 2: So was it greed or you go?
Speaker 1: I think it was both. Be honest with you. See, I've made mistakes.
Speaker 2: I made mistakes for my business, and I've justified it with I'm doing this good thing. What the truth is, it was my own greed and ego. And so I hear your story and I feel what you're saying, like you want to help out this guy even though you know this guy is not a good dude. You think about his family and everything else. But in the back of my mind, I'm hearing that, and I'm thinking, but he was also making some money this too.
Speaker 1: Probably I wouldn't do it if I wasn't making any money.
Speaker 2: That's that.
Speaker 1: Is real, right, that's real. That's what you find out in places like that.
Speaker 2: And I feel it. I mean, I haven't been in prison, but I know I made I've made mistakes justified him as in I'm doing being the good guy and doing things. But if you know the real truth, come on, I was getting something out of to get you.
Speaker 1: Probably wouldn't do it, if you know, to be honest, I wouldn't, you know, because I'm a business person like man. You know what I'm saying, we need to get something, and so I got something, why not do something good while you I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what's got money.
Speaker 1: I don't know which came first, you know what I'm saying. Good may have been initial thing, but hey, I can also make some money doing this. I don't know which one came first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those kind of messes oftentimes don't have a beginning or end.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they're just a circle of mess. So now you're in prison and you feel like the Lord's put on your heart to try to spread some hope and use the talents hees giving the inside prison.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: Now you do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I started a program in there, that's you know. I started a program called the Path program purpose achieved through Him. And I thought, okay, what is the first thing that Jesus did. Jesus went around and recruited people. And I looked at all of this this educational capital in here. You got XCPA, psych colleges, you got ex preachers, business people, congressmen, all these because there was its federal prison camp, right, very educated people. I said, oh, this is capital here. Let me go around and recruit you know coaches in here, and I had this mind of fresh life right. This fresh life is an acronym studies for financial relationship, education, spiritual health, legal investments, fitness, and entrepreneurship.
Speaker 2: So it's because it's federal prison camp. You've got some white collar criminals and that have a lot to offer in terms of their experience and know how. Yeah, so you're going out and finding guys that do financial stuffs, psychologists or whatever. They've made missteps to get themselves in prison, but they still have that core competency after the school of thought that they.
Speaker 1: Know and they're just like me and we want to do the right thing. And so we got a lot of younger guys in there that are misdirected, don't have any direction, They just just just out there lost. I thought, let me start. Let me get these very educated guys that have a heart that want to help these younger community. And every week we started to path program. Hundreds and hundreds of people you show up after work because they love this program. We have a coach a week, fresh Life coach and.
Speaker 2: Start a mentoring program basically yeap.
Speaker 1: And so after the prison in prison and so these mentoring is what they would do after the class. They would hoddle up around the trees and the coach will be teaching the students. Yeah, and they had the time to do it, and so they would come out.
Speaker 2: At that point, right right, And.
Speaker 1: So they would come out with life plans, business plans, ministry plans, and a lot of them came out and started churches, businesses, got jobs, with their lives, reunited with their families. So that was probably the best thing I ever done in my life, really in a prison set.
Speaker 2: And that concludes Part one of my conversation with aster Lee Robbins, and Part two is now available, which dives into an extraordinary re entry program called Vital Signs. I hope you'll listen in. It's interesting stuff. I'll see you in Part two.