Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. And let's give a shout out to our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: Shout out big ups to Henry Kissinger. Yes, yes, you on the other side, buddy, I.
Speaker 1: Will reserve a public statement for the you know what, for the press conference.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 1: You know, old Brown, I've been bowling in a previous life. I had some international affairs stuff going on, So I tell you with some authority, Henry Kissinger is a war criminal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, just just just come in hot. I think you're right, and it's definitely something we're probably gonna talk about more in depth on the other show. Yes, we keep it a little breezier here on Ridiculous History.
Speaker 1: We're in person, we're hanging out. The energy is lovely. We hope this finds you happy and healthy, because this is part two of a very strange episode about diseases. Folks, check out part one and if you want to know the origin of this, have you ever read Old Medical Tree Disease or Old Like What Happens in like Transatlantic movies and stuff. Someone has a weird disease, right, it's made.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly, And I mean maybe got to go a little bit further back, and I'm thinking maybe like Golden age Hollywood type stuff where some kind of naval situation perhaps, or some pirates on the high seas, someone's not eating enough vitamin C. Perhaps the little vitamin D deficiency. Well we'll figure it out. But what is rickets. It's it's the D. This is not the curvy which we kind of lump those in together. But when you're not getting enough D, yeah, ladies, you get rickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rickets. As you pointed out, Max, it sounds like it might be somehow related to cricket. That is not that is not the actual thing. Rickets is a frankly terrifying disease. It's the softening and weakening of bones.
Speaker 2: Right, which makes sense, like in terms of the automotopia of it all. Like I just think of rickets like creaky, creaking bones, rickety cricket well from any right exactly. But like when I hear the word rickets, I think of brittleness for some reason. And we're gonna get to the etymology of it. But sometimes I just like to come in with, like what how does it make me feel? You know, right?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is it is true, here's the truth. Or I know someone who got scurvy the way they were not a sailor. They're just very unhealthy, just didn't eat enough lemons, so they.
Speaker 2: Just didn't eat vitamin sea somehow. By the way, many of these diseases we're talking about have kind of been eradicated, right, Like you don't really hear about people getting rickets.
Speaker 1: They've been skirtgated, okay, fair and mitigated, like.
Speaker 3: You know, with like the balanced diet, like you know, vitamin C is in so many things. Right, It's like, you know, I eat like, you know, those little like orange wedges gummies like every day because it's like, okay, now I have like five thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. It's actually shocking they're good for you. Like those emergency gummies, you know, airborne or whatever. You're supposed to eat three of them. They feel like they're just chalk full of sugar, and they probably are somehow, They're they're good for you.
Speaker 1: I snarfed. I don't keep those gummy multi vitamins in the house because I started treating them like a snack a movie. Yeah, and I just like you said. I I remember I was looking around. I was like, well, I can have as many as I want because I'm just getting more.
Speaker 2: Twelve. God help you if you have really tasty melatonin gummies zombie walking through your life.
Speaker 1: So let's look at this. Oh hey, and we are joined with our returning guest, Alex. Circa big, big shout out to Alex. She can't hear us, So, Noel, now is the time you got any hot takes, you got anything you need to set the record straight on before she puts her headphones on.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh she can't hear it. Okay, okay, let's never mind. Yeah, there will not be a public statement at this time Alex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about about Henry Kissinger, about Henry Kissinger or Alex sirka. Yeah, you know what's funny though, Sorry to get off the track, but for a second, whenever a big, you know, largely looming figure like that passes away and you hear the especially one that's been you know, alive for one hundred years, and you hear the first tricklings of obituaries, you're like, they've had that in a file for years.
Speaker 1: The New York Times has probably the best obituary I've read so far, and I've read several Kissinger's books. No one's saying that he's unintelligent, but clearly they had that locked and loaded, and then they went back through and updated.
Speaker 2: Updated, exactly right. Yeah, And I think there have been instances in the past where some of those have been published early by mistake.
Speaker 1: Yes, that has happened. That has happened. As Mark Twain said, reports of deaths canna be greatly exaggerated. And we know that Kissinger did not pass away from Ricketts.
Speaker 2: Look at you like you're a segue ninja over here, slicing and dice and chopping it up. So I have, by the way, and I believe Super producer Max Williams have a vitamin D deficiency. Yeah. We were talking about it off Mike earlier and I literally was looking through my You know, nowadays they do everything digitally with doctors, and I saw a message from my doctor that I didn't notice. Uh, it just says you your vitamin D levels are severely low. I'm writing you a prescript for a supplement, so I take that like once a week. But I think largely in max and I conferred on this and think it's probably true. It's because we don't go outside, and well this look, I'll say it.
Speaker 1: I recognize the sun is somewhat important, but I feel like it insists upon itself, really does.
Speaker 2: I find it.
Speaker 1: Presumptuously pushes it pushes it just it's all anyway, rickets, You're right, I'm Vitamin D is important and rickets is a consequence of this deficiency. Now, we mentioned that this is most commonly seen in children, right, so if you are if you are not a child, you can still have a vitamin D deficiency, but because your skeletal structure is already more developed, you're not going to be as endangered.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Vitamin D Why does that matter to your bones? It helps your body absorb calcium and phosphorus from food. So if you don't have enough vitamin D, you're also going to have a really difficult time maintaining the amounts of phosphorus and calcium. And then you get rickets. Common symptoms delayed growth, delayed motor skills, pain and the spine, pelvis, legs, and muscle weakness. It's way less fun than the name makes it.
Speaker 2: Sound. You think rickets sounds fun.
Speaker 1: I feel like it sounds like a board game.
Speaker 2: I was about to jacks or something, you know, or like tiddleywinks. What the hell is tidle winks? Tidy winks? Was this way like POGs? I figured, no, but it's it's Jack's or Pog's adjacent. You throw things you got like a slammer. Yeah, remembers, did you ever have a slammer? Did you? Were you a pog guy? I?
Speaker 1: I was a pog enthusiast, but I didn't have a lot of friends, so I didn't play it.
Speaker 2: I just collected nobody played it. I mean, okay, maybe that's not true. Maybe some guess I got the Wikipedia definition right here. Tillywinks is a game played on a flat felt matt with sets of small discs called winks, a pot the target, and a collection of squitchers, which are also disks. That's all I'm gonna give. Okay, Squidgers should be a disease, by the way, twitgers should be a disease.
Speaker 1: Tiddley winks very like a weird thing to for a disease to be named, Like, give it to me straight, doc. I'm sorry. Mister Bolden, you have you have the winks, the tity winks.
Speaker 2: Did we talk last episode about how some of these diseases maybe this was off my Some of these diseases are like they're given this kind of grandiose treatment by placing the in front of them. Some things don't get that. It's sort of like bands from the early aughts that was there was the period of indie music. But I think you can do that. You don't say the rickets though, you just say you have rickets, but you would say sometimes the mumps, or you could say just mumps. Maybe it's interchangeable. I don't know if there's any rules in this scenario. I'm picturing you shaming a child for having rickets. You're like, look, you're nine, you need to get it together. You have rickets, Nathan, I don't know why. Apologies to all the Nathans. It does sound like a child's game, though you're right.
Speaker 1: It also shout out to one of the weirdest, most lazy games of childhood, Yesteryear's pickup Sticks. Do you guys remember hearing.
Speaker 2: Somewhat Paul adjacent as well. Yeah, it involves sort of like smashing things and then picking them up, or like you have a pile perhaps, and then you throw another thing at them and they scatter and then you just it's kind of like a free for all. It's like a feeding frenzy. So just jump in here.
Speaker 3: How you make pickup sticks fun is you play law and darts at the same time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm back in. Lawn darts are illegal. Lawn darts are illegal. Yeah, what happened to this country?
Speaker 2: Rickets? Yeah? Sorry, we're going all over the place. But that's that's how we do. It's kind of what the show is. Yeah. Yeah, if you stuck around this long, you probably get it. And if you don't, then we're sorry. Write a mean review on iTunes please, we'll read them on the air. Starting to do that for a while. I think we should write or write a nice review, write a nice one. We'll definitely read. We should start doing that. We love attention. What do you think? Yeah, let's give it. Let's give it a go.
Speaker 1: Let's let's we're not going to overpromise, but we're gonna let's give what's the.
Speaker 2: Word prostrate, Let's prostrate ourselves in front of our at the mercy of our kind listeners, Please write us nice reviews. It helps with the algorithm, they say it does.
Speaker 1: And you are the most important part of this show.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: We're so glad you're here. We hope you don't have any of these medical conditions because ricketts is interrelated with some other.
Speaker 2: Conditions, much like adema. Right, it can be as a symptom of a larger issue that can be much more severe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cystic fibrosis, kidney problems, celiac disease, inflammatory.
Speaker 2: Bowel disease, which is that IBS.
Speaker 1: I'm you know, at what point does is the irritable bowel syndrome turn into At what point does the doctor say, look, I've been nice calling this a syndrome. Yeah, you have a disease, you have a serious your bud is on fire. But at what point does it go for being irritable to being inflammatory? Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just wondering. Is there like a spectrum for these things, you know the doctors? Is it like the thing where you point to the smiley face or frowny face depending on how bad your butt hurts?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I b S and ib D are per Chrome Colitis Foundation dot org. They're two distinct gastrointestinal disorders, though in our defense, the differences between the two can be confusing for many people. Says so right there, it says, so right there, We're absolved. We're absolved, go in piece, we're shriven.
Speaker 2: So this is though as simple as again, maybe I was overstating the case or being overly optimistic when I stay eradicated. But typically because of what we mentioned, the gummies, you know, the touch and grass of it all. You know, not a lot of people are going to be suffering from what you would call rickets, right, hopefully not.
Speaker 1: And despite the tremendous breakthroughs that have been made in medicine over the past decades and centuries, things like rickets can still stick around because of that continued you know, the reliance on vitamin D and the way people's bodies grow. But no matter what happens to rickets, hey, we'll always have the etymology.
Speaker 2: We will we will. We should talk about that, right, I mean, because again it was more of a a how does it hit you? How? What's the ear feel of it all? You know what I mean? I like that and it does of course, as some of the other ones that we talked about have sort of a I believe, sort of an Old English root.
Speaker 1: Yeah, according to a brief history of nutritional rickets, bang, Okay, the etymologies, I'm that happens all the time, especially in English. But there's a great word we learned from this. It most likely originates from a German mistake, Ricking.
Speaker 2: For confusing Old English with German. Oh come on, there's I think German is so aggressive. Yeah, and like the Old English is so little tea and sweet tea and all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rick that sounds like the name of a horror It translates to twisting.
Speaker 2: Oh remember that that icp insane clown possely adjacent group Twisted?
Speaker 1: I do How do you know about twisted?
Speaker 2: I'm a juggler, dude, Okay, hatch it man for I don't even know. No, I see, I've already failed by using I'm not using the nomenclature Hatchett. Isn't that as the little guy, the running guy with the axe, he's the hatchet man?
Speaker 1: Oh huh yeah, yeah, well he's deaf.
Speaker 2: I think so. I had not ICP Cassette. Yeah, I had the Great Malenko Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Before they came out as like a Christian band.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, I remember the Magnet thing is that the one is there Christian undertones and their discussion of Magnets.
Speaker 1: I think that's around the same time period.
Speaker 2: Magnets is a scientific display of God's love.
Speaker 1: I love the I also love the weird stream of consciousness, but I think it's shaggy too dopey. He self defeats. I don't know who are we to judge art.
Speaker 2: But they had a thing. But man, but he self defeats. He's like, uh, magnets, how do they work? And I don't want to talk to a scientist. You be lying and getting me pissed. So he recognizes there is a problem and he refuses a solution. Yeah, he doesn't want to know how magnets work. I respect that.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I had this treatise locked and loaded.
Speaker 2: I apologize, Well, clearly we've both been thinking a lot about the Insane and their adjacent Detroit music scene.
Speaker 1: Every time I'm slow on a text, man, I apologize, but I'm just deep in Malenco.
Speaker 2: Dude, I was. I put it on in the are with my kid recently, just for fun, and they like knew the lyrics. I guess you know, they're they're just so aware of so much culture that I just have no idea that they're aware of. And for whatever reason they did a little toe dipping in an insane clown posse and new the lyrics to a couple of the tunes.
Speaker 1: Well, also, I would argue as a hip hop head that to your point about rhyme ski it's not it's barely hip hop. It's not difficult to predict what they're going to say next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there is really this little piggy. It's something something something Piggy Piggy. It's pretty funny. Man.
Speaker 1: So with that, with that, oh uh, we've got to go back to rickets, do we? So with with that, with that knowledge of jugglers, we do want to be fair Jugglo culture, juggal culture, thank you. We do want to be fair and say that we are not. We don't know their position on rickets at this time. They may be pro ricket. I hope they're not.
Speaker 2: But rickets is a good candidate for like a rhyme scheme. It's you can build a nice flow around rickets. Uh huh, crickets, Yeah, stick it, wicket stick it, damn sure. You know flip it, kick it, twist it, bop it. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: That's we just yep, that's how they made that toy.
Speaker 2: Uh, Ricketts looks like a sex toy.
Speaker 1: By the way, Rickets must have been around for a really long time, right, but it didn't get described until the seventeenth century by these these two English physicians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew the English had something to do with it. There they are. Yeah, Daniel Whistler not nothing to speak of his mother, right, Whistler's mother, it has to be the same. And Francis Glisten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, famous duo, the Holland Oats.
Speaker 2: Of their day. Don't don't mention hollandos I'm still bummed but that they hate each other, there's the restraining or so mad at each other. Dude, what happened.
Speaker 1: A lot of water under the bridge, I guess troubled troubled water. Then they need a bridge over that troubled war. But every relationship is a country all its own, you know, so hopefully those guys can patch it up. Look, these dudes who describe Ricketts are recognizing something that, again, has been around for a long long time. And if you look further back at the early Roman and Greek medical writing. You can see that they're describing something that is like, we're ninety nine percent.
Speaker 2: Sure they're talking about rickets. They just didn't have the name, that's right, they didn't. How could they have. We needed the Germans to help us with that one.
Speaker 1: We needed the Germans. And clearly the band Twisted is a reference twizzt it z t w i z t i D And they had the longless positive their hair and the little little twisties twisties. That's what they kind of like because they're twisted. They're twisted, I get it. And they basically wore the same ICP makeup, you know, and weird that's right, yeah, oh yeah, all right. They got from hot topic before that was even a thing. So this is strange the need for vitamin D because it's one of it's also one of the leading theories to explain how evolution affected the spectrum of skin color in human beings depending on where they were living, what part of the world they were in, and therefore how much or how little exposure they that to sunlight.
Speaker 2: It's like if your house is facing the wrong way, your house plants are always going to be wilty and sad looking like mine, which they buried that in the in the home inspection. Nobody tells you, bro, you don't get direct sunlight, your house plants are going to die every time.
Speaker 1: You're going to have to live and cactus life, you know.
Speaker 2: No, I did find out there's a nice window that does offer some slight, but I've realized how important it is and that that's actually we've talked to recently on stuff that I want you to know about photosynthesis and how important that is for you know, humans to live, and how what an amazing feat of nature that is literally the byproduct of this incredible process is what allows human beings to like survive or at least one of the things production of oxygen. But it's a great way to see what happens if you don't get enough light, you know, because we need light too as humans because we absorb these vitamins through light sunlight.
Speaker 1: So I hate to admit it, but you are correct.
Speaker 2: So it's called UVB. I believe availability. So seasonal like places like example for example, that like stay dark longer, should know there's gonna be that's exactly right. People are going to be more prone to that and there's evidence of this in archaeological records, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can look through archaeological evidence from pre industrial Europe and you'll see that Rickets was having a moment. There are skeletal changes that are indicative of childhood Rickets or here's a new word for us today, adult osteo Malaysia. And you can see this in France, you can see in Italy, Roman, Dorset, North Yorkshire. It's it's all over the place. And hopefully we have with a couple of tangents, granted, hopefully we have made the case that even if you like me, hate and fear the sun, you should get out there. You gotta put yourself out there.
Speaker 2: Touch grass. You gotta touch the grass. Stop playing Breath of the Wild for a few minutes, just get out there.
Speaker 1: And speaking of segues, you know who were kind of the juggalos of their day, the California Raisins.
Speaker 2: Right, oh man, this is a banger that Max Road. So the California Raisins, right, So those first things first. The California raisins were a marketing invention by like the raisin lobby basically, right yeah, And they were initially the claymation in these commercials for literal California Raisins snacks, right, yeah, nature's candy. Raisins are bullshit, by the way I can handle them.
Speaker 1: They're grapes that are failures there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fail sun grapes, that's what they are. They're terrible. I told you right.
Speaker 1: One time I tried to make raisins as a kid. I took a bunch of grapes and I like, hid them behind a door in our basement.
Speaker 2: Work. No, it didn't and maybe and then you ate them and tripped balls psychoactive.
Speaker 1: So also, raisins always feels like the disappointing thing that's given to you, as though it's a tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, how is it a brag that the box of raisin brands says it has more extra scoops scoops? Yeah? And how much Rabney rat turns are in there too? Listen. I'm sorry, clearly, but you know what's funny is I think this was probably they needed something to raisins and make it like sexy for the kids, you know. So they have these claymation things. Max is putting them up on the screen and it's fabulous. I forgot you guys like to watch it? Why don't we play a brief yet? Let's play I don't think I think Big rays in a lettuce slide. Come on, guyslet's harmonize. I've been footed on the radio. You did it? I remember this one. There's like a is that guy a carrot? What is this weird? Is he a radish? Why is he white? He looks like I guess there are white carrots. Well, you know, he's a root vegetable sort. There's a guy in So to set the scene, this is a barn lounge concert venue. The Raisins were performing. That's filling.
Speaker 1: That's Buddy Mills actually singing.
Speaker 2: Is it really yep?
Speaker 1: And Buddy Miles excuse me? And I owned one of those little places at where they would you would turn it on and noise, and then I.
Speaker 2: Had a bendy army one. Yeah, I mean almost like a mister Potato had type situation. But anyways, so there was a cartoon, kids cartoon all this to say the max and the outline said the Mumps sound like a band that would have opened for the California reasons or just in general. I could see the Momps as being like a like a sixties girl group type psychedelic type band, you know, think of like the Zombies and the Mumps. What's Hermon's Hermits?
Speaker 1: What's that place in New York City, the famous punk venue.
Speaker 2: G Cbgb'sgb's, Like, yeah, there's even a band. There is a band called the Mummies. That's actually a really fun They dressed like mummies. But the momps, this one gets to the so therefore it immediately Sorry for all that California raisin stuff, but I think it was worth it.
Speaker 1: She's mumps, She's mumps. She's in my head, she is in my head.
Speaker 2: This is one that I believe has been largely eradicated because of vaccinations, which we'll get into in a minute. But the momps, according to the Mayo Clinic, as an illness caused by a virus, usually affects the glands on each side of the face, then cause them to swell. These glands, called peroted glands, make saliva, swollen glands, maybe tender or painful. Mumps are not common in the United States because of vaccines, So again, not eradicated, but largely mitigated. Like you said, Ben, there's a pretty funny plot line in the series Brooklyn ninety nine that involves the mumps, and they make a lot out of the fact that that swelling can also happen in the testicles. Ah, yes, you get enlarged, enlarged testes to take doing this with my hand, like vaguely hands, Yeah you know what I'm doing. Yeah, I feel you, man, I got you back.
Speaker 1: This is also this reminds me of cat scratch fever, which is a real thing.
Speaker 2: I think kind of makes you like, do the cat's bidding? Basically that's toxic plasmic.
Speaker 1: Now I'm starting to think it might be more dangerous to have befriended these cats.
Speaker 2: They're not to be trusted, right so, but they're so interesting. They are interesting, but they don't give a no no.
Speaker 1: They are all gas, no breaks as far as how they treat humans. And I think we can befriend them, you know, but if they were the size of tigers your house cat.
Speaker 2: Would he When they're in chill mode though, they're a lot of fun. But when they're and don't give a mode, they they're pure chaos energy. They're unpredictable. But I have two of them. I love them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got two as well. Max has a cat will learn Alex's pet situation in due time.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it's not a pet cemetery type of things. Hopefully it's not a pet semestery dark book. That is a dark book. That's frightening. I really enjoyed it, very mean spirited. No wonder it lived in a drawer for as long as it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was probably wondering, what will people think of me? Will they think that my mind is disease? Well, they think I'm a freaky weirdo. What you Steven, No, here's the issue with mumps. Here's why you gotta get vaccinated for it. This is it presents similar to the flu. In the beginning, You'll have fevers, you have headaches, muscle aches, you'll feel just kind of down. And it's not until later that the clear symptoms of mumps developed.
Speaker 2: The swelling. Yeah, that can be the glands below the floor of the mouth. I that I'm doing it with my tongue, so that's like literally the bottom and on either side, I think the basement of your mouth. That's right, that's right, the wine cellar there, it is of the of the head.
Speaker 1: And the problem with this is that because the disease has become pretty rare in a lot of countries that have implemented vaccination programs.
Speaker 2: Why is vaccination so controversial?
Speaker 1: I think it's the first it's controversial. Oh, we talked about this their book stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe mandated anything medical is feels controversial.
Speaker 1: It will be also things like the the horrific actions of the tuskegeek.
Speaker 2: That's for sure. That's for sure. This I would argue that a non controversial vaccination. It's called MMR right, the mumps, measles and rebella. That's then they give that to kids. I remember the first shot I ever gotten. I think I wept openly, not not out of joy, out of terror.
Speaker 1: When I started hitting the road, Like when I went to live in Central America. That was one of the things that freaked me out just a little bit. I had a card like a yellow vaccination can't you remember those? And they had the list of the different things I had to get vaccinated for, and each one of them sounded like they were warning me that I would be in a terrible situation like okay, danghay fever, yellow fever. Where we at with mumps. They started naming diseases I neither I had neither heard of nor believed existed. You know, I was like, this doctor, is just freestyle.
Speaker 2: Dang gay fever is the one where you poop a lot? Right? Oh? Doc? I don't know because luckily I didn't get it. I think you get it from like tainted water. If I'm the mistake. I think it involves like really explosive diarrhea, okay, like dysentery. I think it's something like, oh, it's caused by it's.
Speaker 1: Caused by the danngay virus transmitted by mosquito.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. Oh man, oh that's that's that's a rough one, isn't it funny? How the stuff that's in tonic water quinine, it was like a very important malaria curet and imperfect. Yeah, man, I think about that when I drink quarter or two. It's probably why I don't drink too much of it. Now. No pooping and dan gay fever, well you're still pooping, also known though as break bone fever. Yeah, that's pretty intense. Center.
Speaker 1: That's intense, you know. And look, the mumps can be very intense. And because they are rare, if you have a suspected mumps situation in your life, you're supposed to tell the medical provider beforehand so they can prepare, which is kind of weird because can you imagine going to a hospital and say, okay, I'm sorry, I have the mumps or you know, my case as the mumps or something, and they say we're not ready for you.
Speaker 2: No, we need time, we need time. Just hold on. Good luck with your glands. Yeah seriously. Oh that's another good band. By the way, at Athens band they're called the Glands. Oh yeah, fun, fun name for a band. But this condition was first documented or written about as far back as the fifth century BCE by Hippocrates, the father of medicine, the Hippocratic oath. You might have heard of it, Do no harm? Is that part of it?
Speaker 1: That's part of it. And you know, like Ricketts, this has been around for a really long time. As Hippocrates describes it, he says, swelling appeared about in the years, and many on either side, and then the greatest number on both sides, which is, okay, it's weird, little redundantly, yeah, but he's trying to be specific, and he goes on to describe the way these things look disused.
Speaker 2: A lax large, diffused character without inflammation or pain. And they went away without any critical son. That doesn't sound so bad. No, it doesn't sound so bad.
Speaker 1: And we're actually all very fortunate because so many people get mumps vaccinations when they're kids. You know, you, if you're hearing this now, you probably have a mump's vaccination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happens so long ago that you might not remember. Like I said, I do remember distinctly being terrified it was the first shot because it was the one, it was the one all the kids get. And now I think maybe there are more, because there are some that are, you know, very like I think we you know, my ex wife, who I love dearly, and we're very close a little bit on the holistic hippiepe side, and so we I think we're a little selective about the vaccinations we got our kid, or we spaced them out, because I think one of the controversies is that there's concern if you like overload this kid, a young child's system and doom all at once, that it can potentially have some adverse events. Yeah, so I don't think we skipped any, but we definitely like spaced them out or something. Yeah, because you can't. They won't let you go to school if you get if you don't get some of these.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, And again there's with good reason, because schools on the best days are just hotbeds vector disease and dirtiness. There's all kinds of strange poop getting in strange places, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, I don't know if I need to get that specific strange poop.
Speaker 2: Another banger of abandoned strange poop.
Speaker 1: Oh geez, let's talk about the etymology, no, Like, where does mumps come from?
Speaker 2: Well? I do love the expression. Mum's the word, you know, like like a hush, right mum. But then I also associate that with like the mummers in Old English culture, who are sort of they would do these like it was a it was a form of theater mumming. They would travel door to door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, door to the door, and they would do certain ritual skits or sketches or plays, and it is very common in uh in Ireland.
Speaker 2: That's right, And I believe Middle English era, right is when that was the thing. So we don't quite see a connection to that, but I believe they were silent in many ways. It was almost like mime. If I'm not mistaken, I'm wondering, you know, just you know, I always do this, and I'm usually wrong, or I'm like, I wonder if the atymology of this word has to do with this thing that it sounds like, and it usually doesn't, but in any case, it does come from one theory is fifteen sixties of her mum to make silence, to be silent. But then there's also a version of it that's mom, an inarticulate, closed mouth sound indicative of unwillingness or inability to speak, probably imitative as an ad there you go exactly, then as an adjective meaning secret or silent, from the fifteen twenties. Mum's the word again, of course, seventeen oh four. But also mumbull is kind of what you were doing, or the idea of speaking in a jumbled, muted kind of way. It's hard to discern, you know. So all these things do seem related. Mambolin, which is to eat in a slow, ineffective manner, or to talk with one's mouthful, which is like you know, marble mouth, kind of.
Speaker 1: Viral, right, right, right.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different thoughts around this, and I don't quite see how you know what, No, it does make sense. Sorry, if you have swollen glands in your mouth, Oh yeah, yeah, that would cause you to be a little mumbly, yeah, mumbly. Okay. We also have some honorable mentions we wanted to get to. There are, as we said in the previous episode, there are a ton of very strange names for diseases, and a lot of these names are really funny and delightful, and the conditions are terrible. I'm thinking of things like one of my favorites. I just got to say it, one of my favorites, brain fever. I love, love love using brain fever in stories. I love mentioning it. I've tried to use it as an excuse to call in sick to work. I'm sorry, I couldn't possibly come in then I'm afflicted with brain fever. Yeah that was.
Speaker 1: That was before I shifted to just getting out of social obligations by saying I have become strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it becomes strange. So where are you not? Though? Thanks? And brain fever is when a it's a dated term. You see it a lot of Victorian literature, sort of a general term kind of too right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, part part of the brain becomes inflamed and causes. The idea was a cause of symptoms that present as a fever. I just want hallucinations, even right, hallucinations. Yeah, there's another one that we just have to mention. This is so weird. Maple syrup urine disease.
Speaker 2: This is new to me. It sounds I immediately am picturing Kevin Costner peeing into that thing in water World and then drinking it. Oh yeah, this is okay. I'm sorry. I don't want to conjure any images of you putting your own urine on pancakes. But I've done it. There, I've done it. Can't be taken back. Now what is maple syrup urin? Wait? Wait, let's go back to this. Why did you be on the pancakes because of the Because because it tastes like maple syrup. Oh I know, yeah, no, no, tell me I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: One of the symptoms is sweet smelling urine.
Speaker 2: Okay, but no one's necessarily gone so far as to taste it because that would be gross.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, Billions of people have lived and die.
Speaker 2: People just yeah, it's some holistic kind of.
Speaker 1: It's been used in some traditional foods in like North Africa and parts of China. Yeah, yeah, it's it's weird. Uh, everybody, look up centry eggs.
Speaker 2: So oh those are like are those the ones where like the fetus is still like almost fully butte terrified. I've I've terrified.
Speaker 1: I've eaten both and I will take ballute over centry eggs.
Speaker 2: An that's terrifying nightmare fuel to me.
Speaker 1: Oh excuse me, sorry, there, I am incorrect everybody. They're not called centry eggs. What I'm thinking of is I just have to be accurate here in all something called virgin boy eggs.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you like to turn back now? No? No, no, possibly?
Speaker 1: All right, So back in the day, these things are similar to centry eggs, but back in the day in parts of China, you would create these things by boiling eggs in the urine of young boys under the age of ten HONGI dam, they're called uh. And you know, we always say we don't want to judge or yuck someone's yum. But at a certain point, I'm just gonna have to say no.
Speaker 2: I gotta say though, Man century eggs I'm intrigued by. They look kind of good, and it says they have a rich and indulgent mouth feel and a custardy sweetness and earthy notes. And they look like a damn geode. Yeah, like those you know those by say did crystal things? You didn't like them? No? I didn't. I did not. You didn't need the boy you'urine ones though? No, no, no, no no, it seems like that wouldn't go over so well today. Yeah, how do you go about collecting this ingredients?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how many questions that Facebook marketplace post has got to be on a couple of government lists. But so, maple syrup urine disease is a genetic disorder. It starts in childhood. It can lead to all sorts of terrible things up to an including death if it's not treated. So don't again, don't let the nice name fool you folks.
Speaker 2: Does sound pleasant?
Speaker 1: It sounds you know what, there's maybe if we have time, let's talk about one more. Paris syndrome.
Speaker 2: That sounds okay, it sounds fancy.
Speaker 1: Paris syndrome. I when I first heard about it, I thought it was the plot of like a Hallmark movie, sure or something, you know, But it turns out you've.
Speaker 2: Got mail right exactly. Or forget Paris. That's the one I'm thinking with Billy Christ.
Speaker 1: This is not a physical condition. This is a mental condition. Because you know, you've been to Paris. It's a beauty well, parts of it are beautiful. The culture is amazing, and everybody around the world who is not French tends to have a kind of rose colored glasses idea sure of what Paris is. The problem is, turns out, a lot of tourists over the years save up their whole lives. They want to take this trip to Paris. They get there and they meet the actual Paris and it's not what they expected. You know, it's definitely a modern city. There's a lot of noise, very crowded. Like any city, there are going to be some rude people. Apparently this affects some people so much, this discrepancy, that they get Paris syndrome. They get disoriented, they get shocked, and feelings of persecution, and sometimes they hallucinate.
Speaker 2: Cool, Oh you're in good. Hallucine is fun every now and again. Have you heard of Stendall syndrome?
Speaker 1: Stendall what is it?
Speaker 2: What is it? Stendall syndrome, also known as Florence syndrome, is a kind of a psychosomatic condition where you are overcome and often even compelled to hallucinate by being exposed to beautiful works of art. Oh okay, And there's actually a Dario Argento film, the Italian Giallo kind of creator of sort of the slasher Italian slasher film genre, called Stendall Syndrome where this actually is a big plot point. And I think we talked about it actually on a strange news episode of Stuff they Don't Want you to Know recently, where you there was a supposedly a woman who was an orgasm during a symphony and there's you know, tape of the sound of this person in ecstasy, and it was conjecture that this could potentially have been that, or it could just been someone getting diddled, you know, in a symphony. Maybe it was Lauren Bobert. There we go, Yeah, and with this, we're gonna we're gonna call it in folks. There's so many, so many different things could have gone on.
Speaker 1: We could have gone on, but at the end, I suspect we would have started making up our own conditions.
Speaker 2: Who knows, we didn't. Who know, who's to say, probably a doctor. Thanks as always to our super producer, mister Max Williams the doctor listening to this show thanks to I hope so, but doctor, what that's the question actly? Thanks to our returning guest to Alex Sirka, Alex, how do we do? That's always amazing? Learned so much good, good, glad to hear. A huge thanks to Alex Williams who composed our theme. Christophrasiotis here a spirit? Eves, Jeff cot Uh all the hits Ben Thanks to you man. This is a fun two part I'm glad we glad we traveled down this road together.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that we got vaccinated.
Speaker 2: Me too. We'll see you next time. Books. For more podcast from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.