Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hey dream listeners, if you like this podcast, you're gonna love the book. Yeah. I wrote a book. It's called Selling the Dream and it's coming out March twelfth, twenty twenty four, on Atria. It's about all of your favorite characters from MLMs and some that you've never even heard of. I hope check it out, Hey, dream listeners. Jane here with one of two bonus episodes this season. On The Dream, we looked into the world of life coaching, and on today's show, we're going to hear from now world famous former life coach Sarah Edmondson.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of her?
Speaker 2: She and her partner Nippy were featured prominently in the documentary The Vow on HBO. It's all about the Nexium Life Coaching MLM turned creepy criminal cult. Sarah was once a devotee of its leader, Keith Ranieri, but after some her events, including Sarah being branded, they became whistleblowers. Obviously, Sarah's experience with the group didn't start out that terribly, and I was curious, like, how do you go from having really great intentions wanting to help others, wanting to improve your own life, to you know, being in a terribly scary, awful cult. If you could just start by telling me your name and a little about yourself.
Speaker 1: Sure, But first, can I say it's a dream come true.
Speaker 2: To be on the show, for me to be talking to you. I'm like, I was obsessed with the documentary. Well, anyway, why don't you tell us your name? Sure you are, and where you're from and all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Sure, my name is Sarah Edmondson.
Speaker 3: I'm from Vancouver, Canada originally I now live in Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: I was in a cult for twelve years. Didn't know it as a cult.
Speaker 3: Thought it was a personal and professional development program that taught goal setting and coaching and living your best life type seminars. And when I figured out it was not that, we went to the authorities, then the press, and then the leaders in jail for one hundred and twenty years.
Speaker 1: How's that for good summary?
Speaker 2: Great? What's the name of the color?
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm so good at doing the cliff notes.
Speaker 1: I dropped the call.
Speaker 3: Well, I knew it as Executive Success Programs, and later, if for the sake of ease and all the different rebranding that the company tried to do, we call it an xim. It's known in the press as anxim n XIVM, not an e xium, which is the heartburn medication.
Speaker 2: Can you just talk about where you were in your life when when you first were introduced to executive success programs? Is that what it's called.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Executive Success programs are ESP.
Speaker 2: We called it, which is a weird acronym. NSP means extra sensory perception, right, yes, well it's like a witchy thing, which we actually.
Speaker 3: Realized later that Keith loved to name his things, you know, different lots of double entendres. So nexium, we found out later comes from the root word.
Speaker 1: I think it's nexus, which is.
Speaker 3: I want to say, like Greek or Roman for indentured servitude and like debt bondage. And yeah, so like there's things that you wouldn't when you do the research, you're like, well, that makes sense that he had that in the back of his mind, but we didn't know at the time. And dos dominus sqm.
Speaker 1: Cerroriium or something like that.
Speaker 3: But dos is also like he was an eighties computer nerd, and we just also know what doss means, so like it has double everything had double meanings for him, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, esp.
Speaker 3: So what was going on in my time In that time of my life is I was a aspiring actress.
Speaker 1: I was also, of course a waitress.
Speaker 3: I had big dreams and for myself in terms of like finding my purpose and eventually getting so famous that I could have a stage and have a voice for various causes that I was passionate about, including you know, having an impact on the world, in the world a lot of idealistic sort of values that my social activists, left leaning hippie parents taught to me. And so yeah, the day that entered my life, I was in a place where I was very much into manifesting and setting intentions. And this would have been like two thousand and five, right What the Bleep had just come out.
Speaker 2: For our listeners, can you just, oh sure, yeah, describe it briefly.
Speaker 3: What the Bleep Do We Know was a hugely successful documentary and I think it came out in two thousand and three or four, and it was looked at how you create your own reality in terms of like your beliefs and your thoughts, and it was like spirituality meets quantum physics, Like what's the physics of the spirituality, so like, how do you actually think about things will affect the things around you? And it talked like it looked at water when you were projected love onto it versus hate and things like that, and it got into like the science of spirituality and it was quite groundbreaking at the time. And my boyfriend that I was with at that time was a filmmaker and he got into this film festival called the Spiritual Cinema Circle Festival at Sea. This is a group that is no longer in existence as far as I know, or at least the crew. This was a cruise of spiritual filmmakers and my boyfriend got accepted and I was like, well, I'm coming with you because I'm going to meet all these spiritual filmmakers and do real cruise and beyond a cruise to go to the Bahamas, I mean, like what better place to be? And I set the intention of of.
Speaker 1: Of finding my purpose.
Speaker 3: And on the very first day, and before I met the director of What the Bleep, I met another man named Richard who's still a friend of mine, on the first day who gave me a copy of his book which was called What's Your Purpose? And I thought, wow, I am in the right place, and I was just so open to the universe just showing me what I'm like.
Speaker 2: I nailed it. I nailed this right away, right away.
Speaker 1: And then that I've.
Speaker 2: Only been on one cruise and it was a Coachella cruise, so there was none of.
Speaker 3: That different vibe, although maybe some overlap with people.
Speaker 1: It was a very niche audience, and.
Speaker 3: I felt I was just so excited because I've been doing like beer commercials and vampire TV shows and like just stupid sci fi television that like didn't fill my cup, you know, and like, there's more for me here. So I met Richard, I got his book, and then that night, like the very first night, it was a science seating and my boyfriend and I were assigned to sit across from a very distinguished man and his girlfriend, which I later came to understand was the director of What the Bleep Again?
Speaker 1: Divine timing.
Speaker 3: Here I am being sat across from Mark Vicente. We're talking about spirituality, we're talking about shifting consciousness, we're talking about filmmaking, We're talking about all the things. I'm like, it couldn't have felt more vine in all the ways, and.
Speaker 1: We became friends.
Speaker 3: Mark and his girlfri his girlfriend at the time, me and my boyfriend, and we.
Speaker 1: Spent the seven days together.
Speaker 3: We were fast friends, and Mark was the judge of the films, and I think my boyfriend won an award and was all very exciting. Meanwhile, Mark's telling us about a program that he just came out of that was incredible, and he basically said, well, if you liked my film, then you would love this curriculum.
Speaker 2: Mark was pitching Nexium, which at the time was simply selling coaching courses, stuff involving that neuro linguistic programming we've talked about and getting out of your own way, that sort of stuff. But it was also an MLM, and recruits were told that if they recruited others they would be rewarded. But we all know that's not true, right guys.
Speaker 3: I mean, looking back, there was a lot of red flags that I missed. He spoke about Keith R. Nieri as being one of the smart smartest men in the world, and he was decided to use his genius to create a curriculum that would help people, you know, evolve their I think he even used the word disintegrations, which is the next word for you know what's what's an English what's a real word for that? The flaws in our in our programming, they used a lot of computer analogies. Like what you said in season three with the guy who was doing an LP was exactly that. And I said the exact same thing when I later learned to pitch it. We have hardware and we got software, and our software has got glitches, and we got to upgrade that software, and we have the tools to do it in a very short time, and let's do it the most efficient way.
Speaker 1: Go Vanguard.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: So that was that was it, and I jumped in. It just happened again the universe had lined it all up so nicely for me. The very first Canadian five day training was going to be happening like less than a month later in Vancouver. So and I heard about it where I lived at the time. Yeah, even though I was hearing about this in the Caribbean, he and I were both just like, let's do it. But it just happened that there was another woman on the cruise who was also there was then started chasing us around the cruise ship with this paperwork to sign to get the forty eight hour discount. And oh yeah, this was very multi level market super multi level marketing. And I was if I knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have even signed up because I would have been like, you're trying to pressure me. You're using scarcity mentality and like there's only a few spots left and like trying to you know, all the things that I now know are tactics. But at the same time, I wanted I wanted the twenty percent off because I was like, well, I'm going to do it, so I might as well just do it. And I signed us both up. And they also said they also this thing that was called three and it's free, so you could sign up three people and get your money back. So so they were like, well, if you sign up your boyfriend, that will count as one of your three. So and I only needed to find two more after that, and I'm like, well I can do that, like assume me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get it. It was two one hundred and.
Speaker 3: Sixty dollars, yeah, twenty dollars, yeah, twenty one sixty you yeah.
Speaker 2: How much was the cruise?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I don't even know.
Speaker 3: Less than that because we were guests. We just had to get there.
Speaker 2: It's so cheap, but you know, chasing you around a place like like a cruise ship for two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow, yes, yeah, and you went for it and I went for it, and that's it. I mean, keep in mind, like my rent at that time was four hundred dollars a month so and hard to make and hard to make, so that was a big jump. So actually when I got home, I think I talked about this in my book too, Like I freaked out and I came to my senses and was out out of the sort of reverie of the of the dreamlike you know, aspect of being on this cruise.
Speaker 1: At allways, and it wasn't incredible, Like it.
Speaker 3: Was a.
Speaker 1: Wonderful seven days.
Speaker 3: I met Neil Simon who wrote What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams like or directed and produced. I mean, like I met some incredible people in the film industry who were all so spiritual.
Speaker 1: And so when I.
Speaker 3: Came back from all that, I landed back in reality and I ended up calling like the ESP headquarters and being like, I put this deposit down, I is there anyway and can get my money back because I put five hundred dollars down of the twenty one sixty to secure the discount. So I put five hundred dollars down and I was like, freaked out, I don't even have that, and they it was actually a woman who I'm not friends with so we can laugh about it.
Speaker 1: But her name is Barbara Bouchet, and she was like the top salesperson. And she said.
Speaker 3: To me, wait, you're twenty eight years old and you don't have five hundred dollars out. What are you going to do differently in your life if you're not going to address your money issues right?
Speaker 2: And like sickburn, but sickburn, I'm in.
Speaker 3: Well, I was totally in until she said because of my other excuse was you know, I'm an actor and I don't know if I can take five days away, like I really need to be available for auditions and stuff like that. And she said, so you're waiting for your agent to call. Is your agent going to be the director of your life? Or would you like to be the master of your own ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So between those two things, I was like, you know, she has a point, and so I think Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a week or two later and I end up going to this pretty Rundown Holiday Inn in Burnaby, which is a suburb of Vancouver.
Speaker 1: And needless to say, I was.
Speaker 2: This sounds totally legit and think you're about to make so much money and be so successful.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was sorry. It was really run down. It was not executive success.
Speaker 3: And I remember thinking like for the amount of money we paid, we should have more than a bread garden, which is sort of like Canada's Panera, Like.
Speaker 1: A okay, yeah, it's like a very simple.
Speaker 3: Like sandwiches and maybe some boiled eggs and croissants for breakfast.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'm gluten free.
Speaker 3: This sucks, but but I was like I kept facillating between being like, all right, I pay this money, let's do this, and then also being very skeptical, very judgy of all of the coaches cheesy power suits, and there was like, I want to say, twelve coaches and nine students. There was a big coach to student ratio in that particular training because it was the first one they'd done in Canada.
Speaker 1: There's only nine of us.
Speaker 3: I was really turned off from the beginning. I was super like just the whole presentation was cheesy, it was dated, it was this is two thousand and five, and I want to feel like it was ninety it was nineties, like.
Speaker 1: It was just just it was dated. And the video there's a video component.
Speaker 3: The first time you're introduced to Nancy Salzman, who's the president of the company, it's on a video and it's got like the fluorescent pink block letters. And this is not necessarily like not much of that was seen in the vow because they readd the videos at a certain point. But the old videos were like next level cheesy, and I just remember feeling like, what have I signed up for? And you know, my parents are therapists, and this is like fast track to to therapy essentially, is what they're saying, Like therapy is just talking about your issues.
Speaker 1: This is going to get to the root cause of it.
Speaker 3: And they also at the very beginning were very smart about what I've since learned because I learned to do the same thing called preempting UH and using remote setups with your techniques to basically have people dismiss their concerns as they come up. And then they got they got ahead of it, you know what I mean, they have to do that.
Speaker 1: So they got ahead of it by saying like.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you agree that all successful people know their limitations? And we're like, yeah, yeah, sure, all successful people know their limitations. So at that point, if you don't admit you have limitations, you're not successful.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're they're double binds in the room.
Speaker 3: Remote setups are getting people in the audience to go okay through her questions, remote setups and these this technique from the front of the room. Okay, I have limitations. I'm here to be successful. Oh no, I am successful.
Speaker 1: You don't. No one's saying I'm not.
Speaker 3: Successful, right, And wouldn't you agree that to work through anything new, you're gonna hit discomfort, no paid, no gain. Right. So when you're uncomfortable and you have the urge to leave, the urge to bolt, which is very normal, You're gonna want to go to the bathroom, You're gonna want to eat, you're gonna want to smoke, you want to flirt, all the things that happened, which is also true. Like if you ever done therapy, and I know you've done your coaching path with Jesse, like it's uncomfortable right to look at your shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's true.
Speaker 3: So what it also does, though, is it helps you sit on your instinct to get the.
Speaker 1: Fuck out when it doesn't feel right right. So that's the kind of confusing thing.
Speaker 3: And a lot of these groups do this and I've since learned that this is that's like the main tactic is to is to override your intuition, and say, your intuition in this case is riddled with limiting beliefs. So for example, if you're uncomfortable when we present something, hey, we're gonna present It's just a piece of fabric. We're gonna put it around your neck. It represents your level of growth in this karate like system. So the very first class was called rules and Rituals. We're gonna go through all the things we do. You're gonna feel uncomfortable. We ask you to think about why this thing is making you uncomfortable, talk about it with a coach, don't leave, don't go smoke. Let's look at it while you're here. It's just a piece of fabric, okay.
Speaker 2: And what are the remote setups?
Speaker 3: So remote setups are when you say something from the front of the room that somebody would hear. It's like when you're addressing someone's issue who's sitting in the room instead of calling them out and being like Jane, you're just being defiant right now, or like Jane, you're so close minded because whatever, I'm trying to think of some of the things you talked about, like you just want to eat your junk food and you know, and so instead of calling you out, I could say from the front, and this is I did all the time. Later, if I knew what somebody was working through, Like if I knew that Jane Marie was coming to my training and she was trying to like naugh eat junk food, I might say something like, you know, I'm so glad y'all are here. This has been such an incredible training for me. I've worked through so many issues. That's helped me with my acting. It's helped me in my relationships. I've had things that I've tried to cut out of my life, like unhealthy eating or like certain habits that didn't serve me anymore. And I will tell you these tools are going to help you. Blah blah blah blah blah. So like that's a remote setup. So you're in the audience going wow, Like this is a good place for me because I can overcome my junk food addiction because Sarah is up there.
Speaker 1: So I'm not.
Speaker 3: It just sort of seems people used to say all the time, like I think they might be siting you might feel psychic. And part of it was because we were reading the intake sheets and sharing the information with the other coaches so that we could weave it in with these remote setups. And after twelve years of talking to people and hearing their goals and understanding their backgrounds, there was only so many kind of patterns tendencies, so that like I might meet somebody that I was coaching a new person and they'd say a couple of things and I'd say, oh, okay, your parents are divorced, and I.
Speaker 1: Hadn't read that in it didn take sheet.
Speaker 3: I just made that assumption because of a couple of things they said, And I just assumed, and it often was right, because well.
Speaker 2: You're right half the time, yes, at least, because you know half of people are divorced.
Speaker 3: Right, that's true too half the time fifty percent chance of being right.
Speaker 1: And maybe also some other things I picked up on.
Speaker 3: And then plus you throw the intake sheet in and I look like a wizard, you know.
Speaker 1: I felt so helped.
Speaker 3: I really wanted to be able to do that for other people. That was the main thing and I and then I thought, wow, this is great because when I was deciding between acting and psychology back in the day, when I was choosing my degree, I was like, well, I can still pursue acting and I can still be a coach, which with my mind was the same as being a therapist but better.
Speaker 2: So you get out of this terrible cult situation that becomes physically abusive, that becomes just incredibly unhealthy, and does it change your thinking about the coaching world.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean there's just certain words like coach or goals or success or limiting beliefs that are just like so cringey for me to even hear, Like I don't when people tell me that they're a coach, I'm like, oh really, I'm so skeptical. I'm like based on what and I loved actually what you said in your series about like when you want to become a better soccer player, you go find someone who teaches soccer better, it plays better than you. And so many of these people are not succeeding in their life in any way, shape or form. Why would you trust them? To guide you, and I guess.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing with my therapist. I don't have that at all. But that's because I know for certain she was had rigorous training and it doesn't really matter if her life is perfect and right, it seems perfect from the outside, but it doesn't really matter because she's following rules. Yes, that are state sanctioned, I guess, And yeah, and there's a regulatory body and if she wasn't, if she was breaking rules, she would be you know, in trouble and perhaps face charges and all of that. Yeah, like there's a regulatory there's a system around her that if she was doing bad things to me that is you know, she's she would get in trouble and los her license and all of that stuff. So it doesn't you know, it's different.
Speaker 3: It is also different because they're following a modality that they've trained under, and if their life's like not perfect or like they have their own issues, that's not really relevant to because they're using the modality, whereas the coaching doesn't have a modality.
Speaker 1: It's just like, you know, let me give you advice.
Speaker 2: Right, what are the warning signs people should look for? I had a really good experience with my life coach, right, And when I talk about how to shop for a life coach, where I start as like taking a really good inventory of what I needed, you know, being really really honest with myself about what I could possibly get from a coach, what I thought I would be able to listen to and follow, and having you know, kind of convictions around that before even choosing a person, because you can be enticed by just about anybody, you know.
Speaker 3: I thought that was actually very smart that you had your list first going in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before I met this person at all, I thought, well, I know that what really is bumming me out is that I don't want to get up in the morning, and I don't want to move my body, and I don't want to eat good food. And I know those things would make a huge difference because sadly, you do get happier when you work out more, and all of that stuff is true, and it would be really nice if I could just like take a nap all day and be happy. But yeah, I knew that those things would make the biggest impact on me in a short amount of time, and it totally worked. And so I tell people to kind of like figure out is it spirituality that you're searching for? Is it you know, what's the what's the thing that's gonna work for you? And don't just sign up for any anybody anybody's curriculum. So what what should people look out for so they if they are going to get a coach, they don't end up in the scenario you found yourself in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 3: I'd say, like figure out where they got there first of like where do they get their training?
Speaker 1: Like what's their background?
Speaker 3: Do they just get a certificate online or put on their business cards? Like where where do they learn to coach from? I'm I honestly, like am pretty skeptical about the coaching industry. Look, I rather say get a therapist. But if if somebody wants a coach to help them in their lives, I'm more apt to say, Like if it's if they're actors, like get an acting coach. But that being said, there's a ton of culti acting teachers out there. That's a a whole separate thing. But like you know, if it's a bit if they're in business, specifically getting a business coach, which is different than like the business coaches in an MLM circle, because that's like you'd expose there's people who have zero credentials walking around trying to tell people what to do. But I would say, like, let's just say you're going to find a coach and you want them to help help you in your life.
Speaker 1: Look for love bombing.
Speaker 3: Look look for somebody who's just like making you feel really good at first and buttering you up and with that, like deep eye gazing is something that I think is definitely a red flag. Any encouragement to distance or cut off from friends who like aren't doing the work.
Speaker 1: Right is key.
Speaker 2: Jennifer had that with Yes and Arbond and with you know Ray Higden where he said don't be around sick people or poor people.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, I mean there is a there is a reality to like, if you've got people in your life who are super toxic and abusive, like that's that's different.
Speaker 1: But if they don't, if.
Speaker 3: The people don't get it and they're at supportive of you, that's different. That's not being toxic and abusive. Right, loaded language like having your own little language that's separate from everybody else.
Speaker 1: Thought terminating cliches.
Speaker 3: If you're like asking questions and you feel shut down by by Like if somebody says, well, that's just your like the next thing we used to always say, well, that's just your life issue.
Speaker 2: Which is not illegitimate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, oh, it's just my life issue, obvious. And then and then what do I do with that? I'm like, we'll go journal on it, like just or go sit with that.
Speaker 2: So that's my life issue? Is like, okay, that's everything.
Speaker 1: What Oh that's not terrible? I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you feel differently about coaching? Is there some think about it? Did you have any good like positive takeaways? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I got I got a lot of positive takeaways. What's been part of my you know, healing journey is deciding whether to throw the baby out with the bath water. And there actually isn't you know, amongst us ex Naxium members, and there's a whole other you know, that's another hour of how I got out and how I figured.
Speaker 1: That, figured it out and all that stuff. But even within our little community.
Speaker 3: Of xi xpions or ex nacci nexioms people, whatever you want to call us, is that some people are like, no, I throw it all out, Like if you have water with a bit of shit in it, like it's tainted, right, like, just check it out.
Speaker 1: But what I've I'm personally not willing to do that because I put so much time and effort into it. I feel like.
Speaker 3: I needed, I needed for me, needed to separate what was his, what was Keith's, Nancy's, and what was just things from other places?
Speaker 1: What's neural linguistic?
Speaker 3: A lot of it was a lot of it was neural linguistic programming, A lot of it was Buddhism. A lot of it was just like tenants from any goals program in terms of.
Speaker 1: How to like push through and create the things you want in your life. So for me to check that all out would be a waste of time. And I'm all about efficiency.
Speaker 3: So I spent the time trying to fit and Nippy and I are still doing that. We're still being like, wait, I have this thing, like is that like do we think that?
Speaker 1: Or did you think that? Or where did it come from originally?
Speaker 3: And then then we you know, then we and then we can think about if we want to keep it because all of these things are just stolen from our art.
Speaker 2: I have someone to parse that out.
Speaker 1: I'm so lucky.
Speaker 3: So many people left alone and you know, or went back to their families who were, like I told you, were in a cult.
Speaker 1: Like so they're, you know, just stuck with their own process.
Speaker 3: And I feel very lucky to have Nippy and I we talk about all the time, and yeah, it's ongoing for sure.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: The Dream is written, hosted, and executive produced by me Jane Marie. Our producer is Mike Richter, with help from Nancy Golumbiski and Joy Sandford. Our editor is Peter Clowney.
Speaker 1: The Dream is a.
Speaker 2: Co production of Little Everywhere in Pushkin Industries. He came behind