Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Guilty of Charge podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always and joining me on a victory Tuesday Wednesday for you guys is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what something I doing today?
Speaker 2: Pretty good? Man? That game was about as pretty as you and me competing in a beauty pageant. But you know what, man, it's nice to break out the Victory Monday shirt on a Wednesday. It's nice to be talking on this podcast after a win. Steven, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. Shout out to Homage. They make great shirts. I guess it's a free ad now, but I have a few Homage shirts myself. They make like fantastic quality. You know. I have the the NFL jam one with Justin Herbert and Keenan Allen. I have the Quentin Johnston one. I got the Joey Bosa NFL Blitz shirt. So Homage makes great, great stuff. If you haven't check them out, you can get that Victory Monday shirt as well. So appreciate Homage. But doing good. Tyler and I were talking before we jumped in here. Both of us obviously work in education, as we've talked about on the show, and both of us are very much prepared for Christmas break because as if any educator is in your life, you know that they are are feeling the same. So a few short weeks away from Christmas break and very excited for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. But we got games to cover until then, and you know some kids, the two person stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, games to get into. I have started watching draft prospects. This is generally the time of year where I started watching draft prospects, so I just started watching Brock Powers today. So a lot of fun. All right, We're gonna dive into this Chargers Patriots game, also do a little look ahead to Chargers Broncos, and then we're bringing back over Reaction Wednesday. So Tyler and I have some talking points we want to discuss and figure out where is the silver lining or where is kind of the gray area in these kind of topics debates that are kind of going around on social media. So it should be a lot of fun. Hopefully you guys are ready and excited off a win for what's to come the rest of the week. So before we dive into this content today, as always, Tyler and I are fans of the team first and foremost. The opinions that we express on this show are just out there, our opinions and not the opinions of the Chargers organization. We're very grateful to have this platform and hope to continue to produce this content for you guys the rest of the season. So hopefully enjoy it, and if you don't mind, please leave a comment, leave a rating, leave a review. All that stuff really does help us to continue to grow the show and show our appreciations towards the Chargers. So that being said, Tyler, we'll dive in first and foremost to the Patriots game. We wanted to sit back and watch some of that tape and get some real takeaways there. So you kind ofocusing on the offense, I kind of focus in on the defense. Well, we'll have some big takeaways to discuss from that game from what we saw on tape. So let's start with the offense. You're pointed out some things on Twitter, but what was kind of your your big takeaway after watching the tape about the Chargers offense and they're six points on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks for giving me that one. The offense and the six points. I'm happy to kick that one off.
Speaker 1: For the show.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. Honestly, I came away being happier with Kellen Moore the play caller, but about us frustrated with Kellen Moore the offensive coordinator. And I do kind of want to make that distinction. Outside of a handful of plays, I really felt like the offense, you know.
Speaker 1: I like the calls overall.
Speaker 2: I like Justin Herbert and how he looked. There are plenty of guys that were open, plenty of opportunities I think for the Chargers to be better than what the scoring output ended up being. At the same time, the coordination on the offense and trying to get eleven guys to play together and all eleven guys to execute that was very frustrating, and it really has been frustrating for several games now. And you can throw in and talk about a lot of the reasons why it doesn't look so good. We've talked about it a million times. Corey Linsley, Michaelames, Josh Palmer, all these issues, and I do take those into account, and I do believe that, like in the Lions game sort of recently, for example, in a lot of games. The graphic they showed during the Patriots game, they're moving Keenan Allen around a lot. He's got like two hundred more yards after motion because of motion or off of motion than any other receiver or tight end in the NFL. But so they're trying, but the execution is just not there on a down to doown basis. And if I give Brandon Staley Derek Ansley some flak for the defense not executing, I and we have to talk about how Kellamar has not gotten all of these guys on a down to down basis to execute really well. And as I was prepping for the show, I just kind of wanted to mix mental notes of plays just off the top of my head after watching the film and after we've watched the game, we could tell anyway where the execution for whatever reason was just not there. And it's always it's almost a different player every time. You know, you look at the third down run, Jalen Giden doesn't get his block and they don't convert on that run. Guiden doesn't get out in front of Quentin Johnston on a screen, that thing could have been forty or fifty yards for a touchdown. To be completely honest, Keenan Allen doesn't get a hand on the edge rusher on that jet sweep, which was probably a dead play anyway, but still nobody blocks him. Couldn't get a hand on him. Loss of seven. Donald parm has two drops. Quintin Johnston. You couldn't have asked for more than justin Herbert on that throat in the rain, rolling to his right under pressure, right down the sideline. Quentin Johnson drops it. Joshua Kelly dropped a pass. Austin Eckler dropped a pass. Slater can't get in front of Eckler on a screen that I thought was going to be, you know, pretty good again, the call was there. It got the the Patriots, I think, but Slater can't quite get out there, and the screen doesn't go for as much. Austin Eckler runs and is the opportunity to cut to his right. You took the screenshot and we talked about it. I noticed this yesterday too. Actually, I could have gone to the right behind Jamari Sawyer. Plenty of green grass that way, but he just goes left straight into a pile. Herbert keeps the option rather than hand it off which has been the opposite problem. You know, in previous weeks, typically Herbert hands it off where he should have kept it, he keeps it, they lose yards. You know, Herbert's off by just like a foot on an effort pass in the red zone. So every unsuccessful play has one person typically not doing their job or not executing to their fullest, and it's never that same person. But so the calls I think I felt were better than I thought, And it's tough to save because after only six points to say that they were like really good calls, but they were better than I expected because guys were open and there were opportunities there. But somebody is not executing. So I think there's one hundred passing yards another forty rushing yards that are just there sitting on the field. But because Kellen Moore has not gotten these guys to execute every single down and there's always one guy making some mistake, they haven't been very successful and that's part of the reason the Chargers are currently on the outside looking in in this postseason race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's important that you make that designation or distinction rather about the play calls, and like the concepts that Kellen Moore generally runs are very strong. Like we on Saturday talked about like how we have really enjoyed seeing Kellen Moore bringing this you know, extra step out of Justin Herbert, and how Justin Herbert has had more control of the offense. You know, keenan Allen's getting more opportunities downfield, which like Shocker he has always been able to do. You know, Justin Herbert's aidad is up and like the bones of this offense schematically are really really sound. But you know, at the end of the day, like part of your job as being an offensive coordinator are these details to get everybody on the same page. And Brandon Steally even said this yesterday, you know, speaking specifically about the run game, that it's about all eleven players, Like all eleven players have to be on the same page, whether that's blocking, whether that's running routes, whether that is quarterbacking and calling the plays, whether that is the center communicating, whether that is you know, everybody has to be on the same page to properly run an offense and listen, like there's a lot of context like that you mentioned, but you know, this Chargers offense scoring six points this week ten points last week. It's just it's just kind of unexcusable. It's unacceptable to me to have a Justin Herbert let offense continuing to have these kind of struggles of consistency. And that's about practice, right, Like, that's throughout the week. Those are things that you have to be honing in throughout the week as a as a coordinator, as a head coach, coach. And like you mentioned, we were criticizing Brandon Staley and Derek Nseley in the defense earlier this season for not honing in on the details, and now we're seeing some of that come to a fruition from the offense. There's also just some like really head scratching decisions being had out there. You know, I tweeted about the the sequence right after the two lead tweek below to fumble recovery and they run a crack toss. They get five yards out of that, which is fine. On second down, they run a trap play, which the Patriots were in a light box, and so like again the concept is sound. You run a trap play, Austin Eckler gets three yards. You know, Rashaun Slater Andrew whatever kind of missed some blocks. It wasn't super clean, but you get three yards, so you're in a positive third and two situation, So like you can kind of understand the thought process there. But then on third down they motion into the exact same formation with Jalen Guyton coming in across formation. This time the Patriots safety follows him and essentially creates a heavy box and Justin Herbert decides to kill the first play. So for those who don't know every single play call in the NFL, especially under Kellen Moore, you have two tags with it, and so Justin Herbert has the ability to kill the first play and get to the second play. And in this instance, the second play was the exact same trap call that the Chargers ran on second down. It's just instead with Joshua Kelly instead of Austin Eckler, and Joshua Kelly gets one yard instead of the two and a half that he needed, And that, to me is just an unacceptable use of your resources in that moment after a turnover, for you to run that kind of sequence was a head scratcher for Kellen Moore. And some people will say, like, oh, like they were in a positive down a distance you should be able to run a trap play for you know, to get two and a half yards on third down, and it's like, yes, I agree with you, but when you're a value waiting the play call and the process, that to me was not a positive experience front or not a positive review from Kellen Moore. To have the same exact play, same exact formation on back to back plays after a turnover when you're really trying to get things going, to me was was not a great sequence for Kellen Moore.
Speaker 2: No, at some point they do have to consider the process and the results of the process and what they're trying to do here. I mean the Chargers, their rushing success is terrible. And see if I can, I can find it here. But basically this, this rushing success is the worst it's been since twenty twelve. No one has a worse success rate in sixty six point six seven or two thirds of their games than the Chargers since twenty twelve. Like it is, it is not great, and the Chargers need to acknowledge that. And like you said, the head scratching situations, there are too many times you know, early down in situations. Again, I don't know why on third and six the Jets sweep was there to Austin Eckler, who just doesn't quite have that same burst. But yeah, the head scratching moments there are really setting the team back. But then you have the drops as well. That the drops are kind of a new thing for the Chargers. In terms of this season, it felt like it was pretty managed throughout the beginning of the year and now it just seems to be magnified in several games. As our guy Argin pointed out against the Patriots, the Chargers it was the third time since being drafted that Justin Herbert had receivers dropped six passes in a single game. So that's the third game of his with six drops since twenty twenty. No other quarterback has had one such game since twenty twenty. I'm not even talking about twenty twenty like quarterbacks. I'm talking all quarterbacks. Herbert's got three. No other quarterback has more than one. So it's just frustrating to see some of these easy ones, you know, go through and not work out. There are so many plays, at least two of the Parham plays, the Quentin Johnston catch, where you have a fueld goal at least in there, And I'm not saying that fifteen points is a whole lot better than six points. But fifteen points is better than six points, you know, and that would have led to I think a more successful at a better looking day. But again because the execution for whatever reason, the charges just are not getting it done. And you can do that against the Patriots, right because they scored we'll talk about the defense zero points, but you can't do that against most of these other teams. So hopefully they figure it out. I do want to see this offense operate now, not in the rain.
Speaker 1: Not in the rain for sure, not against an elite Ravens defense for sure. Just to real quick about your point about the drops. If you follow not a lot of people follow him, which I think is should be corrected mid PJ. He's the blob man on Twitter. He's a great follow, especially if you're into analytics stuff, and he always goes to bat for Justin Herbert, so he's he's a great follow. And he pointed this out too, that Justin Herbert has lost the second most EPA from drops this season because a lot of these drops that we're talking about are coming on third and fourth downs, like at least three of these six from Sunday, We're on third downs and would have been conversions. So I think that just adds to that point. So I will say, you know, on a more positive side, adding like from then the offensive tape, I thought Justin played a fantastic game. I thought the offensive line played a fantastic game. We've seen you know the you know, the Patriots don't have their same guys, right, but the scheme and the bones are there. This stunt package that the Patriots have has given the Charges a lot of problems in the past, and I thought they generally had an answer for it. That was something that me and you wanted to see highlighted this week. They only allowed four pressure pressures as an offensive line. Justin Harber was only pressured on nineteen percent of his dropbacks, I believe, according to Pro Football Focus. So six points not great. Run game not great, but there were some positives from the offense, and I think, namely Justin Herbert and the offensive line or things that you can kind of hang your hat on in that game and hopefully build on for this week against the Rongos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it speaks to the growth of Justin Herbert. You think of the first game that he played against the Patriots, and that was definitely an enjoyable experience. It was not. The second game was a bit better. I think they ended up scoring twenty one in that game well, with that last touchdown kind of off a mile to hill Mary's sort of throw, but he looked and the offensive line give him credit like this was arguably their best game in pass pro all season. It was definitely, at least statistically Trey Pipkin's best, allowing zero pressures in this game against a pretty good set of EDG rushers, at least the one edge rusher. So it was very encouraging to see. Justin Herbert has continued to look really good. We'll get into I think some of the Herbert growth stuff in a bit with the overreaction stuff, so I won't share everything, but yes, he did look very very strong. Overall, six drops is just six drops and they got to do better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hundred percent shifting gears here to the excuse me, to the defensive side of things. I want to give a shout out specifically today to two players who the Chargers made starters during the Ravens week, and that is is Sang Bassi and Jalen Hawkins. Jalen Hawkins I think is like not necessarily a starter starter, but he is their safety three, which is the say two who comes in for the dime package. And also I guess Derwin James belongs in the same kind of conversation. So, you know, the Chargers made these changes in the hopes that they will be able to kind of settle things down. Derwin obviously is their best player in the secondary, and they've played him more in the slot recently, and the combination of those three players has really started to I think settled down the Chargers secondary. I think previously there were a lot of communication errors, often between the safeties and the linebackers, or the slot and the safeties, or the slot in the linebackers, and a lot of times that resulted in some pretty nasty busted coverages. There were a few against the Lions that Almaras Saint Brown was just like wide open with nobody within fifteen yards of him, Sam laporta same kind of thing. Since the Chargers have made that change, things have just looked so much better on the back end, And obviously it's not perfect. I don't want to put too much stock into this week's game. You know, in the reign against a very poor Patriots offense, but they had a good showing against the Ravens. They had a good showing against the Patriots, and is Sang Bassi in particular has given them a strong lift in the slot. Popper wrote about this as well. Through week eleven, the Chargers were allowing thirteen point four yards per reception two slot receivers, which was the highest in the league. Over the last two weeks, that has shrunk down to eight point seven yards per reception, which ranks eighth lowest in that span. So easing Bassie, the combination of him and Derwin James in the slot has really started to pay dividends, and it just looks cleaner, like there's not as many issues passing off routes, there's not as many issues with broken coverages. The very last play, I think is one of these examples where Easting Bassie is kind of in mansonman coverage against Hunter Henry and he kind of gets hung up a little bit, but Eric Kendricks is right in position, right on time and is able to make a pass breakup. Easting Bassie was also able to recover. But if Bassie had not gotten there. Eric Kendricks was right there waiting for him. So just like the communication, the understand the passing off of routes. I think it's really improved over the last two weeks, in particular because of EA saying MASSI playing the way that he has just kind of has stabilized the slow position for the Chargers right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's only allowed twenty one yards receiving the last couple of weeks. I mean that is significantly better than what the Chargers will get in terms of production prior to this. And now the Chargers it's only running over the last two weeks, but they are ninth in EPA per play in those two games in defensive EPA per plays, so they are significantly better. And like you said, there's less of these Why is that guy wide opens? There's less of wait? Why is nobody around this guy? Why is that guy just running free? There's a lot less of that. And credit Brandon Staley and this coaching staff because they had been saying for so long it's an execution thing. We've got to play a certain way. We're looking for certain things, and it didn't seem like anything was changing, and we assume that there was coaching and there was to try to correct these things. But the solution that they've come up with now very late in the season, like the last third ish of the season, to play these guys around, it's working. And so right now, look even and I said it last week, I'm not taking a whole lot of stock in just one game against the Ravens, who I do think got away with what they were doing that was working well. And I'm not going to put a whole lot of stock in just facing the Patriots. So I think talk to me against after Denver, obviously after Buffalo, those sort of games. But this defense just looks a lot better, Like the product on the field just looks better. We're not just sitting here clawing our faces wondering why a guy is wide open. It's very sound. Things are in front of everybody. It just seems like everyone understands their responsibilities now. And in credit to all the acquisitions they've made really throughout the middle of the season, right before the season, I mean, having some foresight to bring in some guys. It was Dean Marlow for a bit who really stabilized things. Now it's Jalen Hawkins, you know, Basy Hollins, you know, at the edge rusher. Some of these guys that they're bringing in are just bringing something different that maybe they expected from their draft picks. Some of these draft picks, whether because they're hurt or not playing well, et cetera. You know, that was kind of their plan going into the season. I understand why you have those guys in those roles, but they brought in different guys and they've been They've kind of made themselves prepared to pivot at a certain point. And you may say, you know, too little, too late, but they are pivoting and it is working. And if it continues to work again this week against the Broncos in a pretty good Broncos offense. Right now, hats off to the coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am curious to see how things changed. JT. Woods was activated off of the NFL I list today. You know, that means the Chargers are carrying five safeties on the roster right now. So I am curious to see what the plan is for JT. Woods. Does that mean more slot snaps for Derwin, more box now for Derwin? Does JT. Woods have a role at all? It is just gonna be interesting to see how they kind of onboard him because JT's obviously was the safety three all off season long. He started that way. He was placed on the NFL I list. But Jalen Hawkins has been playing pretty well, easting Vassi has been playing pretty well. Derwin in the slot has been a nice nice thing to get back to, and I think those guys also stabilizing those positions means that Derwin James can get back to doing some of these things like rushing the passer, like playing as a pseudo like edge rusher in certain packages, and I think that's really where we've seen Derwin kind of start to make more of an impact over the last couple of weeks. So there are definitely some other things like defensive storylines. Obviously, we talked about Kilo Mack on Sunday Afternoon and what he's doing. I continue to be amazed by the way that Tulee Twee Polow two has just walked into the NFL and become one of the best edge run defenders in the league. Just the ability that he has to stack and shed defenders, beat tight ends, make tackles for losses is outstanding. There are lots of other things that we could talk about, but I think easing Bassi deserved a shout out here, especially himself, because he's really taken advantage of this opportunity. And obviously I hope that continues for the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me as well, And I hope that whatever J. T. Woods role is and whatever capacity how they rotate these safeties, we do love Derwen Jim's closer to the line of scrimmage, and we do love him as an edge rusher. Of course, that was fantastic. Apparently the Sunday was hit Ezekiel really hard day, Ellie really hard day. Khalil Mack got him really good. Derwyn James got Zeke in pass protection as well. Yeah, Derwin close to the line is just makes everything better. And credit to the coaches and these safeties for allowing Derwen to do that. It is more simplified, of course, for Derwin to be way back there guarding back d with the Lowhi Gilman, Sure that is simplified. But if you can find a way to get Drwin's role closer to that line and allow him to rush the passer like that is what he does the best, that is the best way to use him. And if he can execute as well. It looks more like it did on Sunday where he was all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the blitz package that Brandon Staley cooked up for the sack that Derwin got was just unfair. Man Like, he rushed in between Tuley and Justin Holins, who's who's having like a really nice season for the Chargers as well, and Derwin executed it perfectly. He faked out Zeke got home. I thought Derwin played really solid on on Sunday, and then the pass rush in general just was was outstanding to see. So good to see their ruin back rush in the passer I hope, like there's really no reason why he shouldn't be doing that like three or four times a game. I think it was for this part this past Sunday. You know, he got a pressure, he got a sack. So it just makes things so much easier. And I think, especially without Joey, you're you probably needs to do that more often. All right, let's get to some of these overreactions here and then we will highlight the Broncos game for a bit. So we have five points that we wanted to touch on with these overreactions segments. So Tyler We'll start with the first one. There's a lot of positivity about the Chargers defense right now. Obviously you mentioned their EPA play standings right now. I guess the overreaction statement we want to assess here is that the Chargers defense has figured it out after too strong showings against the Ravens and Patriots and will continue to play at this level throughout the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts there that is currently an overreaction to quote the great Ella enchanted, didn't we just do this? We just did this? I feel like with the Chargers defense. Yeah, Lla Enchanted reference on the Guiltiest Charge podcast, drop that expecting that one. Yeah, not at all. I think it's an over reaction at this point. I do believe the Ravens could have done more against the Chargers based on what you saw other teams do the previous weeks, and they sort of did that to start the game and then got away from that the second half. Still, what they did against the Ravens, the defense did against the Ravens was pretty strong overall, holding them to thirteen points until really like the final play whereas they Flowers broke free. But I gotta see more and if if we did, if the Chargers had Ravens then Lions and had let's say two games of twenty points allowed, I'd believe it. But one being the Ravens, Okay, you know, pretty solid, showing pretty good, showing the Patriots many they're not good. Their offense is not very good, so I got to see more. I do believe it is an overreaction at this point, and talk to me after the Denver game. Then I think we can start seeing if there's a real pattern here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's totally fair. I also think, like figured it out, it has to be quantified here because like the Charges right now, like you mentioned, they're eighth and EPA per play over the last two drives that if that is your expectation, if that's how you are qualifying, figure it out, Like if your expectation is them being a top ten defense, I think definitely this is an overreaction. I think if the Chargers bar for defensive success is like twentyeth in the league, I think over the final five weeks this team can be that. So I think I would kind of fall in the middle right now, you know, I think that I don't want to fall for this trap again of it being like, oh, like the defense, this is what we're expecting, Like this is what we wanted to see. But I do think that they have settled some things down and I think they can perform at you know, an average level right now in terms of EPA play, in terms of like being maybe like twenty twenty first in the league and not just allow these explosive plays to really killed on that because that was like the biggest thing, you know, preventing them from being an average defense. So they're doing some good things. Personnel changes have worked, but I think in terms of figured it out, I think that probably is an overaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 1: Hey guys. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on Location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages both an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL on location dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. I tell you want to do the next one.
Speaker 2: Here, I'd love to let's see the next one. So switching back to the offense, the Chargers' offense is in real trouble down the stretch of the season. Overreaction action.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say yes, EPA for play right now is not very kind for the Charges over the last two weeks. Obviously the points have not been kind either, but we're not too far removed from two very strong showings from the offense against the Lions and the Packers. The Lions in particular, like we were definitely not expecting that kind of performance. I think that game was right up there with Justin Herbert's best games of his career. We just talked about Justin Herbert having a really strong performance on Sunday. Despite the six points, the context of his performance I think is stronger than that, and they have some positive matchups here down the stretch. The Broncos defense is not the same one that had so many points hung on them by the Dolphins. But you can score on the Broncos defense, you could score on the Bills defense. We'll see what happens with the Chiefs and what kind of that game means, but I think Justin Herbert and keenan Al are still playing at a high enough level where I'm not super concerned about the offense. Obviously, there are some things that I am concerned about, which we have talked about, but as a whole for the offense, I think they will be fine over the final five weeks of the season.
Speaker 2: I think Justin Herbert definitely keeps that floor there, and you assume that the drops will decrease significantly. I can't imagine another six drop game, although they've already had two I think the last four weeks. But I think things could get better. I don't think it's an overreaction though, to say that the Chargers will be in trouble on offense over the last few games now, sort of like the defense, it depends on what your bar is here. What is the version for what being in trouble is. I think it's hovering in like this fourteen to twenty point range, I think, and basically not be able to exceed that. And I think the Chargers are a bit in trouble. The Raiders, believe it or not, are fifth and EPA per play the last five weeks on defense, that certainly is potentially because of the coaching switch, I'd imagine so. But you see what they did to the Dolphins back of a game. They're playing hard, and of course, like rivalry, games are just different. The Bills will see how they are and what's the state of their defense even is by the time they get to that game. But McDermott as a defensive minded head coach the Chiefs. We saw what the Charger did against the Chiefs. That was with Josh Palmer, who dropped a buck thirty three on them. Did Josh Palmer situation is what gives me a lot of pause right now. If we saw either a Palmer come back or Quentin Johnson to be more heavily involved as a true mainstay in the offense, I'd feel better. But I do worry about the Chargers offense right now because I don't think the run game gets solved. I need to see this Chargers' offensive line pass protect as they did on Sunday for several games. I don't know, man, I am worried about this group. And you know, the the Broncos defense, it was definitely not great to start this season, but they are eighth in the same last five games an EPA on defense, and so in theory, the Chargers, based on what's going to be the second half of the season, are facing three or four ish top ten defenses in terms of how they are playing right now, and that gives me a bit of a pause. So I think it's not an overreaction to say the Chargers' offense is actually in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Palmer coming back would be huge. We don't know what that status is. Brandon Stay said this week that there's a chance he comes back. He's progressing, but we don't really know he's eligible to come off in your reserve basically at any time. At this point, you know, the Chargers right now need somebody else to step up alongside Keenan Allen. I saw this stat from Hayden Weeks of Underdog Fantasy that Keenan Allen is accounting for thirty five percent of the Chargers targets right now, which is second only to Tyreek Hill in the league at this point through this kind of season. So Keen obviously has one hundred and one catches. We've talked about him potentially being in in range to catch Michael Thomas's receptions record which would be crazy, which is fantastic for Keenan. Obviously we'd love to watch it happen, but the Chargers do need a secondary target to come back into things. Gerald ever, was more involved this past Sunday. Maybe he's that guy, and Brandon Sley did tell CBS quite often apparently that that was the guy that they were hoping they get going more often. So we'll see how happens there. I understand the concerns. I just think that justin Herbert is playing at a level right now where I think they'll be fine. I'm not expecting them to be like top five like they were when everybody was healthy, unfortunately, but I think they'll be able to, you know, have chances to win these games because I just think Herbert is playing at that level right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Overall, I think both the offense and the defense are going to kind of meet in the middle. I think they're both going to be you know, the offense will have to try to return to their forum, defense will have to maintain this form. I think they'll kind of meet in the middle as both being solid. I hope to finish the season. How many wins you get out of that Butcher yeah.
Speaker 1: For sure. All Right, Our next one here is a bit of a maybe a season ending topic, but we wanted to touch on it because mister Khli Mack is having a fantastic season and we're limiting this specifically to veteran off season additions. But Tyler, is it an overreaction to say that trading for Khalil Mack is the best veteran offseason move that Tom Telesco has ever made.
Speaker 2: If we're just talking about free agent acquisitions or trading acquisitions and non drafts, it is not an overreaction to say that Khalil Mack is the best move that Telusco has made in the off season during his tenure. I think the three that you put up there are signing Corey Linsley, which completely changed everything about past protection for the Chargers when he first got there. Casey Hayward signing, which is an incredible signing, one of the best in the NFL over that span in terms of what they end up getting out of it. But I think the trade for Khalil Mack, while the defense overall has not been completely changed by that specific addition, there's a player right now in Khalim Mack, gunning for the NFL sack record all time, two away from passing Sean Merriman Leslie O'Neill for their own Yeah, or from tying those two guys. So no, it's not an overreaction. I think at minimum, he's one of the three best additions through the offseason and so therefore not an over reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think those three are are definitely the main contenders for this designation. I think you can make an argument for Mike Pouncey. I think you can make an argument for like Russell Okun, but those guys obviously had the injuries and things like that. There are other guys that I think would be kind of a second tier that we could discuss, but those three are definitely the top tier. I think if, like if Khalil hits the sack record, the answer to this is yes, Like if you get you know, twenty two and if you get twenty three sacks out of Kalimba at age thirty two and you trade a second and six round pick for him, the answer to this question is yes. I still would lean Casey Hayward because of the duration that he was so good for the Chargers, because there was like a legitimate four year stretch there where he was arguably, you know, the best cornerback in the NFL. And he did it at two different positions. Like the first year he came to the Chargers, he was a slot corner, led the league in interceptions. Then he was an outside corner in Gus Bradley's scheme and he was one of the best outside corners in the league. So I would still lean Casey because of the duration. You know, he had the longer time period. But Corey and Khalil are definitely very close behind Casey right now. So yeah, for now, I'm saying slight overreaction.
Speaker 2: I get that. And you know, we were all super excited and hyped for the Khalil Mack trade because we knew who Khalil Mack was and how great he was. You know, you're getting a player that is a very proven player, not that Casey wasn't, but it was it wasn't exactly the same coming from Green Bay with him. That's signing, and certainly how much it cost, right initially that signing for him was it was very small, it wasn't all that much, and then he got the extension later on, So yeah, I understand why you go with Casey Hayward. I do think that these two guys are the one and two, with Lindsley in third. Lindsay I think could have been first if he were healthy this season because allowing was it, nine pressures in two seasons is unlike anything we had seen from any Chargers player in quite some time, just this last season and what's been going on with it, whatever the situation is. Hope he's okay. That kind of knocks him the third.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Tyler, let's get to the next one here.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, let's do this one. Overreaction or not, Joe Lombardi was better as a Chargers offensive coordinator than Kellen Moore as the Chargers offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: Man, obviously we wanted to do this one because they're playing each other this week. You know, there's a lot of coaching narratives to discuss. I think this is an overreaction because I think what Kellen did over the first it's very small sample size, but what Kellen did over the first three games was better than anything Joe Lombardi did during his tenure as the Chargers. So of course, you know the sample is very limited there. The Chargers in twenty twenty one were mostly very healthy throughout the offense that season. We haven't seen Kellen get that kind of opportunity. Obviously, there's been a lot of injuries that they've had to deal with, not to the same extent as twenty twenty two, to be fair. So I think the bones of Kellen Moore's offense are just naturally better, and I think that Kellen his mission was I think, like obviously Justin Herbert and his development first and foremost, and I think that those are the reasons why I would say Kellen Moore is a better offensive coordinator for the Chargers than Joeln mart he was.
Speaker 2: I agree this is an overreaction. I think we can at least admit that in twenty twenty one that was the best overall offense of Justin Herbert's career. I'm not saying Herbert was the best or wasn't the best, but that was the best overall offense and that is objectively true. You look at EPA DVOA, they had more points per drive than the season world Danian Tellinton set the touchdown record, so it was a pretty good offense overall. You could maybe just pick out some of the games where it wasn't so great, but it was still a top five offense in terms of efficiency, scoring, et cetera. You really have to compare the two teams when the adversity hit, and both of these guys Joe Lombardi in twenty twenty two Kellen Moore this year, have dealt with a lot, you know, for Okay, maybe you get Corey Linsley this year, but Justin Ribber was cracked that year. You get more Josh Palmer this year, but you lose you know, Mike Williams for you know, fifteen games the next year.
Speaker 1: So it's it's tough.
Speaker 2: But I think if you just look at it, when the adversity hits, and this is what we wanted, when the adversity hits, who's better, who can pull more? I think it's easily Kellen Moore. There's no game on the Chargers schedule last season where they came close to putting up thirty eight points with all these guys hurt. That doesn't happen. Keenan Allen working downfield, you know with a skin two skinny post or whatever it was two of them for touchdowns. That doesn't happen. Against the Lions with Joe Lombardi as the offensive coordinator. There is no thirty eight point output for the Chargers over that stretch, so I think working with what they have when they've been limited, I think Kellen Moore has been better. But twenty twenty one was the best overall Chargers offense. But that's also because Slater was playing like an all pro, Corey Linsley playing like an all pro. So things everyone's just healthier where the Chargers were going this season, as you pointed out, with those first three games. First game very different than the third game, but the passing game started to really figure itself out. Keenan had two hundred yards through for another forty, Mike Williams had one hundred something yard, Josh Palmer had two big catches, one of them for a touch on Justin Herbert was perfect in that game. That's where the passing game was going to go, and then the rest is what we already know. So I think that if we had seen this offense healthy for eight games, we're talking about one a very different season and two just a completely different feel overall about Kellen Moore. Where you know, fans as we interact with are not asking or suggesting this idea, Delmbardy is a better coordinator for the Chargers than Kellen Moore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even just if one of Palmer or Mike Williams are healthy right now, I think you're seeing a drastically different offense. But you lose those two guys. You know, Quentin has had obviously his ups and downs. He had a much better game this past Sunday. Austin Eckler has been injured as well and has taken a step back physically, and those are things that Joel Lombardi didn't have to deal with for a whole season. So that is fair. But like you mentioned twenty twenty one, the Chargers offense that year and Justin Herbert that year have been the best offense that Justin Herbert has experienced. If they make the playoffs that year, he's probably an MVP candidate because he was just like lighting it up that season. So what's yeah, I've been say all right, last one here, we wanted to give a shout out to the Chargers special teams here, Tyler. Is it an overreaction to say that Ryan Ficken is the best special teams coordinator in the NFL at this current time? Nope?
Speaker 2: Because he was one of them at minimum last season. But the Chargers were one of the best special teams units this year. As Eric Smith pointed out in his article, the Chargers are first in Special Teams DVOWAY. So I think if you're first in DVOA, that means you're a pretty good unit, and therefore I do believe Ryan Ficken should be in contention for that. Not an over reaction. Ryan Ficken is one of the best coaches in the league, period, and the Chargers are one of the best special teams in the league and currently the best special teams unit in the league. He's just we talk about so many different players on this channel. Justin Herbert we talked about two league Khalil Mack. We talk about these guys consistently. The coach we bring up all the time though, with these guys is Ryan Ficken, because every single week, these guys are pushing excellence and they're so well coached, and you can see it in the press conferences, you can see it in the interviews, you can see it on film in their comments. Everything is just cranked up to eleven in terms of the IQ of the special teams unit and the execution of the special teams unit and anywhere you look you want, I mean even just on Sunday, you got a perfect kicker, an excellent punter, a great returner, and the Patriots didn't do anything in terms of returns and they really haven't all seasons. So yeah, Ryan Ficken man one of the best. He should be a head coach somewhere at some point. Difficult for teams to commit to a special teams coordinator, but you're not going to find many better coaches than Ficken right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I think we also have to put into context here, like we're not too far removed from this Chargers team having the worst special teams unit in the league. And when Brandon Sadie was hired, like one of the things that was like always kind of like secondary was like okay, like you got to figure out how to get this special teams unit to be at least average, and it didn't go super well the first year they hire Ryan Ficken, And since that moment, the Chargers have been not just average, they've been an elite special teams unit. And it's not like they have gone through a super healthy like everybody around Ryan Ficken that he's coaching everybody's healthy, right, Like they went through four kickers last year. Obviously you find Cameron Dicker, and Cameron Dicker has become this elite kicker right now. And a lot of that I would credit Ryan Ficken for and just his steady hand in Cameron Dicker's development. If you remember, Cameron Dicker started his NFL career as a punter for the Rams, Like that's what they were using him as because he was kind of a dual threat player. Now this is a guy who has the highest success rate in terms of any kicker. He's at ninety five percent right now. You know, we talked about Darius Davis on our show on Sunday. He leaves the league in punt return average. And if you just highlight the special teams unit and how many games over the last two years the special teams has really sparked wins. I think you're talking about at least four or five games, and Darius Davis this year has been super impactful. JK. Scott, you know, was a cast off punter, like he was potentially out of the league and he's having these awesome seasons under Ryan Ficken. You look at what they're getting from these gunners and what he's gotten from Dean Leonard and Jaseer Taylor. Well, you didn't have Jair Taylor on Sunday. You lost Raheem Land a couple of weeks ago. And aj Finley comes in off of the practice squad and he's been an excellent special teams player. Hanley am and Ogawaga meaning nickname, and all these guys are legitimately core special teams players. You've signed Blake Lynch off of the Street and he's a core special teams player. Like everything just kind of clicks into place, like it's incredible to watch what Ryan ficken It has been doing for this team. And absolutely I think this is not another reaction. I think he's definitely one of one of the at least the two best special teams coordinators in the NFL right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. He's, I hope for the Chargers what like Dave Tube is for the Chiefs where he was just he's been at consistent presence for them as a coach for at least since Andy Reid's been there, which I think is about a decade now. So if Ficking can be that for the Chargers for a long time, the Chargers are really good hands. Like you said, how often can we look at the Chargers over the last decade and say the special teams won you a game? And it never is like officially just a special teams that does it. But there's a few games where it really feels like that. Certainly was against the Broncos on Monday Night Football. It certainly was against the Jets. Darius Davis literally was them that game with his one touchdown. It it was over, like you could have gone home. Jets weren't scoring more often that anyway, It's it's just a tremendous, tremendous advantage for the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like how crazy is that to say that after everything we've watched, you know, the early years of my fandom, because I was born in nineteen ninety four, so like people pointed out to me today like, oh, like you had John Carney and all these guys, Like, Okay, I was five when John Karney left the Chargers. You have Mike Ciphers and Nay Kaden obviously, but really like since two thousands, like I was in high school, so like twenty ten ish to Ryan Ficken, the Chargers have been bad on special teams and now it's one of the best units in the league. So Ryan Ficken absolutely deserves a shout out. All right, real quickly here, we're gonna wrap up today's show, just highlighting the Broncos game. A few things here, First and foremost, it is Antonio Gates Day. He is going to be honored at a halftime Obviously a guy we all have argued as the greatest tight end all time. So first and foremost, congratulations to mister Antonio Gates. Many of my core memories of the Chargers are involving Antonio Gates and Philip Rivers and all those guys. I would also encourage anybody who attends this game on Sunday to stay in your seats at halftime and be able to watch mister Antonio Gates get his due recognition from the charters. So definitely wanted to start their shout out to Antonio Gates, one of the best ever. Should absolutely be a first ballut Hall of Famer at next year's ceremony, and hope that is the case because the athlete he definitely deserves that.
Speaker 2: He's just a throwback to an era and really kicked off kind of a renaissance at the position at tight end, and I've watched highlights of him. The Chargers do a good job of posting highlights here and there of Antonio Gates, and it's just who plays like Antonio Gates these days? They're really He's just different. He's unique, and you can tell this is a guy who was a basketball player who transition into the NFL and then just oh, by the way, became a Hall of Famer, or he's going to be a Hall of Famer. That's that's no surprise there. So, yeah, he's fantastic. I was there when he broke the touchdown record. I was there on white Hot Sunday when they played the Seahawks and their opener and I believe twenty fourteen where he had the hot trick three touchdowns to upset the defending champions, like it was. He's a part of many of my memories, of course, and certainly one of my favorite players on the Chargers of all time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, I encourage anybody who's attending on Sunday to stay there at halftime in your seats and be able to participate in that in a little bit of a ceremony. So getting to this game specifically in our time here, I do want to highlight this because this Sunday against the Broncos is essentially an elimination game for either team. You know, the Broncos have had this recent you know search here they won five games that are obviously they lost to the Texans. The Chargers are still kind of hovering at a point where they could presumably make or run like make things right. So as it currently stands, according to New York Times, the Chargers have an eight percent chance at the playoffs, and sumer Sports has them at nine point one percent. The Broncos are a little bit better here. I think they're around twenty percent in most cases. Obviously they have a better record right now the Chargers. If they lose this game, they're at less than a two percent chance on both of those two sites. In terms of making the playoffs. The Broncos go from around twenty percent to around ten percent. Obviously, the AFC a lot has been changing. Trelor Lawrence just got injured. Obviously, Joe Burrow is injured. But essentially Tyler, this is an elimination game for the Chargers if they lose. You know, right now, the things are looking bleak in terms of their playoff chances. But if they lose, that's pretty much all she wrote in terms of making the playoffs. So I know that there's still a lot of people hoping that this team makes a run in the playoffs. Obviously, we both would love to see them make a run of the playoffs. That's the goal, obviously, to get into the dance. But if they lose this game, it is essentially over.
Speaker 2: What is being a fan if not basically, assuming your team is completely out of the postseason after four losses only to go check the NFL playoff predictor after they win a six to zero game against the Patriots, that's just fandom, right, fanatic?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was definitely looking at that, and certainly looking at all the injuries at quarterback that are going on the AF seed right now, it feels like there's an opportunity for a team to sneak in because of those And we'll see what the ramifications of all these injuries are over the next few weeks. But yeah, man, this this is it. This is it, Like, this is potentially the season if they charges lose this, if they lose, that's the season. One percent. I don't believe there's a team that's made it from one percent odds all the way to making into the postseason. I can't imagine that there was. So while it has not been officially the end of the season so far for the Chargers, it basically ends on Sunday if they lose and they can't. And I think it's going to come down to your star players, all the way down to your special teams unit, which is really good, all the way down to your backups like Bassie, not starter now like Bassie, like these guys to get it done. And I think the Chargers, at least at home against the Broncos, will be up for the task. The games after that where they have to travel to Denver stuff like that, that it is a different story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, the the overall intensity of this game should really ratchet up. Obviously it's a division rival game. I've said this before. I know a lot of Chargers fans have felt this too, that like the Broncos have kind of felt like more of like the emotional rival for the Chargers for most of my life. I grew up in Utah, Like most people in Utah are Broncos fans, So for me that was always kind of like the rival. Obviously there was like the Phil Rivers Jake Culer stuff back in the day, and then the Broncos win those two Super Bowls. So obviously the Chiefs now are like the top dog. But this is a super important game because this could signify the end of this season, Whereas if you beat this team, you could potentially still have chance at the rest of your reaching your goals. Like it's not necessarily control your desty, it's definitely not control your own destiny. But if you can win this game, you know, you're you're sitting at six and seven, You're you're sitting in this spot where you can still potentially take advantage of all of these other AFC injuries, And like, as a casual fan of football, like I would like to see some healthy quarterbacks get into the playoffs. Man, Like I like no shade, but like I'm not super interested in watching Mitch Trubisky and Joe Flacco, you know, start playoff games in the AFC wildcard picture, I would like to see Justin Herbert and Josh Allen and some healthy quarterbacks get into the playoffs. So if the Chargers can win this game, like I'm not gonna go full tilt obviously, but like you mentioned, like this is the fan experience. You know, I'm sitting there watching all these other quarterbacks get injured, and I'm like, man, like the Chargers if they could just like figure it out and go on a run, Like what if? Like what are the chances here? So it starts and ends on Sunday. This is essentially a playoff game for both teams because both teams, if they lose there, they're potentially sol in terms of the playoff picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the playoffs start. They probably started last week honestly for the Chargers, but they're going to continue every week. Is you know, against an AFC opponent, against somebody that you could potentially either see in the postseason or they're in front of you in the standings or whatever. So yeah, the playoffs. Hey, we're in the playoffs. I think we did it. Does that mean we're in the playoffs? Is that didn't work a lout like that? No? I am excited. I think the Chargers. It's Look, it's more fun for us to talk about the Chargers after a win, and so hopefully they give us at least a few more weeks of this to carry on that hope, because that's all we got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll dive into this matchup more specifically on our show. But the key thing that I wanted to bring up today, the Broncos are living on explosive plays right now. Basically. What I mean by that is, specifically, their rushing offense has created off explosive runs at the fifth highest rate in the league right now, and they have the highest turnover rate over the last eight weeks. Basically, since they allowed seventy points, they have created more turnovers per game than any defense in the league. And that's how they have been able to get on this win streak. They create explosive runs, some explosive passes, they're certainly starting to figure out how to use Courtland Sutton specifically, and then they create turnovers a lot, specifically fumbles. They've had a lot of positive fumble regression over the last six or seven weeks. So those are two key things the Chargers have mostly done a great job of of limiting explosive runs on defense and limiting turnovers on offense. Those two areas are going to be absolutely crucial in order to win this game on Sunday, because that's basically how the Broncos have gotten hot over the last two months.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a good new It's a good thing that the Chargers have Khalil Mack and he's facing Mike mclinche, who was fifth worst in the NFL in past blocking efficiency. If Khalim Max's gonna go get that SEC record, Sunday's a nice extra game to to go find out if you can get there or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, percent, all right, that's going to do it for us today. Apologies for a bit of a longer show, but we had a lot of things to cover here with the segments and things like that. So you know, hopefully you guys enjoy the show. Comment let us know. We'll be sure to be on YouTube and interacting with you guys. We always appreciate, appreciate all of that, like the show. Subscribe to the Chargers channel and our own channel over at the Guilty as Charge Podcast. We greatly appreciate that support. That's going to do it for us today. We'll see you next week at this time. As always, bold up mm hmm.