Speaker 1: Andrew Martinez in Real Life podcast. This episode and conversation is powered by I Do Say What's up? Guys? We are back. This is Agie Martinez IRL Takeaways where we discuss the brilliant moments or just the moments that after the podcast or after the conversation stay with us. The takeaways the things that when you were in the shower were like, damn well he said that, he hit hit. I felt that, or just sometimes I don't know, even me, sometimes when I'm interviewing people, even throughout like all the years of my career, there's just certain things that stay with me. This person said this, This person said this random story that just comes to me right now. I was interviewing Beyonce around her her birthday album B Day, and I guess they did. Is that's the album right that Your life flex is Crazy. I'm just sorry that that's what just came up for me. What's that? Is that the album where she has Upgrade You? Yes? Yes, so we're talking about Upgrade You and I we were talking about, you know, Jay being on that song, and I remember her saying to me, yeah, Jay was not having it. He wanted to be on that song. He was like, what you're not gonna do is nigga song upgrade you and I'm not on it. I'm paraphrasing what Beyonce said, But to meybe for a couple that rarely shares any insight to their relationship, I always remembered that, like, yeah, you're not gonna be out here upgrading me for the rest of our relationship, because you would know a song like that could stick. It sticks in a headline. Think about the term like boo delicious, right, You don't how many headlines she had to deal with. Where the boot delicious? Beyonce. It's just what you put out in the world. It stays with you sometimes. So a song like upgrade you in a relationship, it would have forever been Beyonce upgrades jay Z. This the mentality of that, I wouldn't have mine that. But his verse on that song is hard. Oh, his verses fire. And also it just levels them out. It puts them like we're both upgrading each other yea. And it just was like a little insight to that, the thoughtfulness of how their relationship could be perceived. I might be reading too much into it, but every time I hear the song now I remember that story. It just is like a stuck with you it was. It was a takeaway of that conversation, like how they navigate their music making and the messages they put out and then what's their relationship anyway. It was a takeaway from that episode, not necessarily a takeaway I use in my own life, but just a takeaway of like how they navigate anyway. I say all that to say, every episode we discussed some of the takeaways and some of the episodes. And now this is the in real life podcast, so our hope is that our takeaways are ones that we could actually use in our real life. And Ryan Coogler absolutely gave us some takeaways I know for me and Brittany, I know, you know this work addiction conversation that we had with Ryan. First of all, how dope is he? He came in, He's so like, what's up, everybody? What's up? Everybody said, talks to the whole room. He is in a weird way, like an introvert, but also very gracious and thoughtful and just a nice guy. Right. So sure he's not he's not walking in like hey, everybody, look at me, but he's definitely like walking in looking at the room being thoughtful, and you know he's a filmmaker, so our crew is like looking at him.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody wants to like impress him.
Speaker 1: They want to do right. Yeah, and you could tell that he's aware of that to an extent. But anyway, we just loved him. He was super dope.
Speaker 2: This was really a pick for us, like, yeah, yes, we know people love Ryan Coogler, and and he's done great movies Black Panther, Fruit Filled Station, like he's done great work. But really this was just like Angie and Brittany and our internal war wanting to get a peek inside of the mind of a director of not just a director, a producer.
Speaker 1: Ryan Coogler. Yeah, I love the way he infuses his gift as a filmmaker, but also that we feel, I don't know, just his connection to the culture in such an authentic way, you know, to somebody to make big gazillion dollar movies like that and know to put to have Kendrick make the soundtrack to Black Panther, to know what Meek Mills songs to put in when you're doing Creed shot in Philly. I don't know, It's just something culturally, even when you look watch when I watch Creed, and I see the relationship between that couple Michael Beach, oh yeah, and uh Tessa. I don't know, it just seems authentic. Now that could be a credit to the actors, but it also like the director, like he just gets I don't know how to this is clear what I'm saying, Like he gets honesty and he gets like those little nuances that if you from the culture, like oh yeah, like when they were talking about the roots and oh yeah and Philly and Jawn's and you know that matters in a big production like that to see authentic culture being showcase.
Speaker 2: He obviously cares so deeply about everything, even in the conversation with you, Like Ryan Kueer is not a typical celebrity facing person. He doesn't always talk all the time, do interviews like this. We filmed it during the strike, and he like it was a lot of him you asking a question and him waiting and thinking thoroughly, And I think he moves like that throughout everything that he does.
Speaker 1: He's so thoughtful. I saw that in some of the you guys's comments also that you noticed that too, and like how thoughtful he was in every question. I asked him. But then we learned inside the conversation when he's talking about Chadwick Boseman and what he learned from Chadwick, and he says that one of the things is that chad and he doesn't know if it's just that's how the nature of how he was, or based on what he was quietly dealing with, you know, his cancer at the time, and people didn't even know that he was just so mindful and so present and that he would think about things and he would move at his own time, and Chadwick moved and he learned that from him. So I wonder how much of Ryan was like that before, or maybe it just gave Ryan the freedom to be like, Okay, let me just sit here and think about this answer before I answer it, you know, watching chad work. But he definitely was influenced by that. And I love that story that he shared about him. We would play that clip. Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 3: He rarely had his phone with him and we would be working. He would, you know, I'll give him direction. He would stop. He would look me right in the eye. You know what I'm saying. You know, I'm right here, right here, and like and like if to think about something, he would take a deep he would take deep breaths, you know, like he moved at his own pace. I've never seen him rush, but he was like all right on time. One of them kind of people you know.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: And and he can't he couldn't be hurried neither. You know what I'm saying, can't be hurried. I mean that d war you you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, because like for me, I was like, okay, yeah, here king on set.
Speaker 4: So like you know, I get it, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like like he was gonna he was gonna move on his long pace, and then you realize what he was dealing with, you know, and what he was doing for you know. You know what I'm saying. It's like, man, you know, so you will somebody like that. You go back and replay, you know, every everything he realized. Man, that was that was I realized me.
Speaker 4: He was showing me. He was shawing me a lot.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna take a page from that. I'm going to take a beat more often. I've gotten better at that because you know, being on the radio, you got to talk fast and you got to get to your point real quick. I used to really talk. I still talk fast, for sure, I talk fast, but I'm not afraid in an interview to have a little silence now, And the younger me didn't have that comfort, whereas now I I relish in that little moment of silence, of quiet of like, what did this person just say to me? Let me think about it.
Speaker 2: So before you might have wanted to fill in the fill in space, and I feel like a lot of people do what I do. It's like this nervous energy, so you want to fill in every space conversation where it's like it's okay if somebody asks you a question or somebody says a statement to you to just be like hmm, let me think about that and have that quiet right there. You know what I mean, It's okay. It actually, to me is more interesting because at least you're being thoughtful and mindful. So I love that about our conversation. How thoughtful he was. I also, Brittany and I both also very much resonated to the work addiction conversation.
Speaker 1: Raise your hand if you've been a victim work addiction, if you are currently battling you know, we joke because it's light. But one of the things that he said about his work addiction is it is like work addiction is like a food addiction in a sense that like, look, if you're addicted to heroin, the goal is to just stop doing heroin. If you're addicted to cocaine, Okay, I just got to stop doing cocaine. Now that's not to say either one of those things are easy, but you quit quitting your addiction is one thing. Living with your addiction is something else. He compared it to having an eating disorder. Right, So, if you have an eating disorder, you can't quit food. You have to learn how to live with food. And so it's the same thing with like a work addiction. You have to work to live, so you have to learn to navigate your work addiction. You can't just quit work. Oh I got a work addiction, So I'm just gonna quit working. I mean, I guess some people are blessed to be able to do that. I have never been in my life. Most of us aren't same. So it's like, Okay, so I can't quit quit my work addiction, but I can change my relationship with it, I think, is what he was saying. Because if you don't, you can lose the things that are important to you. We know a lot of people who if you know, you lose friendships, you lose relationships, you could lose yourself even honestly, in your work addiction, you could lose loose your purpose. So you're so busy grinding on this one thing that you get lost in that. And that's not a good life. Even if you love what you do, it's still not a balanced, healthy life. It's like and then you will find if you bury yourself in your work, where does the inspiration come from? You got to go and live life to be inspired somewhat to somewhat bar you do, whether especially if you're in the arts in any way, or a creative in any in any way. You know how many creatives I know that, like whether you're a writer or you're a producer or an artist. Like creatives get anybody who's a successful creative, they get burnt out, people just pulling at them all the time and work, work, work, work, work, work, work, and then all of a sudden they got nothing left. And if you if you make a living, or if your purpose is to be a creative and you don't give yourself enough time to rest and to find inspiration. You know, a work addiction will burn you ass out and you will lose that gift that you're given, that creative gift, which is a gift. If you're creative, you get that's a gift, and you've got to treat it as such. Did I get to a preachy just now? On your Brittany, You definitely took us to school. But I went to a place just now because you know, because I've felt it. No, I did, because I've seen it, and I've I've seen it firsthand, and so i know what he's talking about. So a work addiction. We laugh, Oh yeah, we're addicted to work. But honestly, there is something serious to be taken about that if it is something you're doing, if you're using it as avoidance, if you're not dealing with your emotional life and your emotional self. You know, like he said, he was dealing with some time in his life and he realized, oh man, I'm still working and I'm this is weird. Like he got called out on it. I don't know about who, but I'm guessing his wife or somebody very close to him. We do the same thing. It's like salone, it's cranes in the sky. You want to kiss it away, you want to work it away, you want to I don't know the words of the song, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just pushing, pushing off the uncomfortableness, whatever other uncomfortable feelings are going on in.
Speaker 1: Your life, so that you could emotionally disconnect. Yeah, so you don't have to worry about any type of trauma, any type of anger, any type of issue you got going on. You could just bury it in whatever the thing is. And in this case, it'd be work, be a work addiction anyway, something for us all to think about it. We think Ryan for that anyway. So here's a clip of Ryan talking about that a little bit and how it shows up for him.
Speaker 3: It's a self diagnosis, right, But like I kind of discovered it when I was going through something really emotionally intense actively I don't disclose what it was. And I realized that I was unconsciously working like I was working at a time, and I really shouldn't have been working.
Speaker 4: I should have been dealing with what was happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I should have been dealing with what was happening, and I kind of got called out on it, like, Yo, why are you should emails and making calls about this thing? We got this going on, you know, and I I realized, like, oh I got a problem, you know, Like, so I navigated, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But it's a lot, Like it's a lot like if somebody who.
Speaker 3: Gotta eating dishworder right because you have to work, you know what I mean, and live, you know what I mean, Like, you gotta eat live. So when you're dealing with things that's like necessities, it gets tricky, but you also love it too. Yeah, yeah, and it brings good things, you know what I'm saying. So it's complicated, you know, Like, but it also ruined your life.
Speaker 1: So yes, we should all be mindful of our work addictions. We learned that. That is a tremendous takeaway from the Ryan Coogler episode, But there was a lot. There was a few bars. His bar about the prisoner of your own perspective was pretty great too. Did you remember that one we were talking about. I was telling him the story about me like owning like my little jealous moment with ed lover and then letting it go those are just say jealous moment.
Speaker 2: I always love when Angie, when you go into your own personal stories about it, because on your radio show, we don't get that. So it's only for IRA listeners that they get to hear like a peek into your brain of your personal life, and you tell an amazing story about how you wanted this Oprah interview so bad.
Speaker 1: It was like, that's the next thing. You know what part of the story I left out and I forgot to say and I wish I did. Oh, so I tell this story about Ed Lover, who was just recently made competition on the radio, he gets this Oprah interview, which I always was dying. It was my wish to get this Oprah interview. But the thing I didn't tell on the podcast in this podcast was that the reason I wanted to Oprah interview so bad at that time, she had just said some remarks about hip hop, like some disappointing things about hip hop culture, and I really wanted to be the person to talk to her about that. So it wasn't just I wanted an Oprah interview. I really wanted to talk about to Oprah about her perspective and why she felt like that about hip hop, and I wanted to explain to her what I loved about it so we could have this amazing, in my mind, meaningful conversation. And then she decided to go somewhere else. Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: That helps because it wasn't just about oh, this is a tech on my resume or this is I've made it purpose. It was with purpose. I really wanted to because I love and respect her so much and she was always my dream interview.
Speaker 1: But now in this moment, I was like disappointed by her, but also I wanted to educate her a little bit from my perspective, and I just thought I was the person this was going to be my interview. I could I could do this. I could bring Oprah to the side and show her and then and then I love I got the interview and he did a great job, and I had to salute him on that, and I had to be honest with the fact that I was a little jealous, and letting that go was healthy for me.
Speaker 2: Jealousy is like it gets a really bad rep but jealousy is is really a super tool, a positive tool, because if you make it, yes, yes, jealousy can turn very quickly into envy and either use it to motivate yourself or then you go the other route and that's no good.
Speaker 1: Then you're the one of the funk.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Brian says this good part, and we'll play this clip about how he used to be really good at football before he got accepted into film school, and he says, like, this is how Ryan leans into the fear of jealousy.
Speaker 3: So by the time I was in film school, I learned to, like if I got the feeling, like somebody's that feeling Mark Sean gave me when I was playing against you. But but artistically, like i'll meet another student, it's like, all this person is better than me at this thing or or further along, and I get that, I get that feeling, I'll run towards you. You know, I'll try to, you know, try to befriend the person and be around him, and she would I can learn, you know what I'm saying. We could collaborate as opposed to like like being like my.
Speaker 1: But did you have to did you have to learn how to do that?
Speaker 3: I think Schwartz taught me, you know, like life's kind of taught me before I got to grad school. So I was already I was already in the and the zone there.
Speaker 1: You know, do you see people do you look at other directors or other people now and think have those feelings?
Speaker 4: Like the time?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the time? Man, That's why I know. That's why I know something's good.
Speaker 1: I like that part because you really like, why not if somebody? If you change the word instead of and beyond. You have to be honest with yourself to even know you're jealous, right, because sometimes you're not being honest with yourself and you're just like, they wasn't all that. I did it better. If you're trying to push it aside, you push it aside and it becomes and it's ugly if you push it aside and try to front like it's something else, because then you start comparing or you start just being negative towards somebody. So if you can be honest with yourself and say, gosh, that makes me a little jealous, instead of leaning into the being jealous, you could lean into I'm inspired. You could lean into inspiration like damn, what did they what? How did they do that? How did they do that? Or yeah, how could I emulate? You have to figure out a way for it to be positive, and he said, like he said, he leans into it. He tries to get to know people who might be better than him, which I thought was super dope. And also when he was talking about when we were talking about competition and how somebody could look at something, it was just that one line that he said. What he said, you're a prisoner of your own perspective, which, man, if that's not a bar, it doesn't even need any explanation, like you are a prisoner of your own perspective.
Speaker 2: To take a Moment's just that, like just let that I might get a tattoo. It says that, because honestly, it's so deep and it's so true, you really sometimes got to change your perspective because you really could become a prisoner of that. Anyway, He's so good on so many levels, so we were grateful for him coming by. And by the way, if you haven't checked out the episode, it is of course live. There are many more gems and takeaways that you can get for yourself. And also he's just something about him is very compelling to watch.
Speaker 1: It's soothing. Ryan's I saw somebody say that in the comments, and she was somebody but I could watch you and Ryan just keep talking like I don't know why, it's just like relaxing to me. It makes me would and I wanted to be like, girl, I get it because I Yes, I felt the same way talking to him, like I could just keep talking to him. The accents helped too. The accent is great. I love the bay Area accent. Yes to the Bay Air salute to the bay Area. Anyway, So thank you to Ryan Coogler. If you haven't seen the episode, it's on episode it's on the YouTube page Edge Martinez Irl. Of course, you can listen to it here or wherever podcasts are heard. And please, guys subscribe so you don't miss any of them. We got new episodes coming up. Was there anything else you have, Britt, Nope, that was great.
Speaker 2: I love Ryan.
Speaker 1: We love Ryan. Team Ryan. I did see in a couple of comments that people were like, did you give him your script?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I r Ralph family. Hold Angie, Dad, I love you are accountable Okay, And by the way, I love y'all for that thing. Yes, and I do read all the comments, so I do appreciate them. Uh, and yeah, we're working on it.
Speaker 2: Anyways, tune us into the next one. Make sure you're commenting your own takeaways, keep messaging us. Check out the episode if you haven't already.
Speaker 1: Word and thank you guys. Catch you on the next one.