Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with the latest developments on the war in the Middle East. Fighting between Israel and Hamas rages on in Gaza's second largest city. This as UN Secretary General Antonio Guteras dramatically escalates his call for a ceasefire. Guterra's has written to the UN Security Council over the issue, invoking a rarely used power. Here's this, spokesman Stefan Dujerik.
Speaker 4: In the letter, which has been shared with you, the Secretary General urges the members of the Security Council to press to avert a humanitarian catastrophe, and he appeals for a humanitarian ceasefire.
Speaker 5: To be declared.
Speaker 3: This is the first time a UN Secretary General has used this power since the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Nathan, there is more fallout from the Capitol Hill testimony of three university presidents. Hedge Fund Titans, politicians and business leaders are railing against the leaders of Harvard, MIT and the University of Pennsylvania for refusing to say the calling for the genocide of Jews is against school policy.
Speaker 6: Bloomberg's Amy Morris reports.
Speaker 7: Pfizer CEO Albert Burlow took to X formerly Twitter to say he was ashamed to hear the university president's testimony, calling it one of the most despicable moments in the history of US academia. Investor Bill Ackman, who called on his alma mater, Harvard to do more to protect Jewish students, posted on X quote they all must resign in disgrace. Penn President Liz McGill issued a video statement to clarify her testimony.
Speaker 8: For decades, under multiple Penn presidents and consistent with most universities, Penn's policies have been guided by the Constitution, in the law. In today's world, where we are seeing signs of hate proliferating across our campus in our world, these policies need to be clarified and evaluated.
Speaker 7: Harvard President doctor Claudine Gay issued a statement clarifying the university has a staunch position against calls for violence against the Jewish community. The critics say she should have said that while she was on Capitol Hill. Amymore as Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Radio, Okamie, thank you, there are new developments this morning in the war in Ukraine from here in the US, the Senate has failed to get the votes to try to pass aid for the country, and Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has the latest.
Speaker 9: It's back to the drawing board, not even making it for a floor vote with the issue border funding for the GOP. President Biden says they have to get something done.
Speaker 10: This cannot wait. Congress needs to pass supplemental funding for Ukraine before they break for the holiday. Resource as simple as that, Frank, I think is stunning that we've gotten to this point in the first place.
Speaker 9: Now the US Heasship more aid to Ukraine, but says it could be the last without more funding. Ed Baxter, Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Radio, all right, and thank you. Now let's get to the latest in the presidential race. The fourth Republican debate was held last night in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and with frontrunner Donald Trump off this stage, the remaining candidates trained much of their fire on Nikki, mainly who's been gaining in the polls. Vivek Ramaswami went after the former UN ambassador over her ties to Wall Street. Larry Think, the king of the Woke Industrial Complex, the ESG movement, the CEO of Blackrock, the most powerful company in the world now supporting.
Speaker 3: Nicki Haley and to say that doesn't affect her.
Speaker 2: As false, and Hailey defended her record.
Speaker 11: Look, we will take support from anybody we can take support from.
Speaker 12: But I have been a conservative fighter all my life.
Speaker 2: Along with Hailey and Ramaswami, Florida Governor Rondez Santis and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christi also took part in the debate hosted by News Nation. The first votes in this race will be cast in Iowa in less than six weeks.
Speaker 3: Turning back to Wall Street, Karen, leaders of the nation's biggest banks appeared on Capitol Hill for the Senate Banking Committee's annual Wall Street Oversight hearing. JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie diamond told lawmakers he would shudder the crypto industry if he had their power.
Speaker 13: I've always been deeply opposed to crypto at coin etc. You pointed out going true use case for it criminals, drug traffickers, anti money learning, tax avoidance, and that is a use case. If I were the government's I close it down.
Speaker 3: Jamie Diamonds remarks, ad to his long history of bashing digital currencies, He's previously called them Ponzi schemes and a fraud.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan evaluation for Elon Musk SpaceX bless into orbit, and we get the details from Bloombergy's John Tucker John.
Speaker 14: Karen Is share a Salefer SpaceX would value the company at at least one hundred and seventy five billion dollars. SpaceX is considering offering shares at about ninety five dollars apiece. The potential valuation would position SpaceX among the world's most valuable companies, surpassing Comcast and Disney. It's number one in the space race. In the first nine months of the year, SpaceX made sixty nine orbital launches. Of SpaceX is on track to book revenues of about nine billion dollars this year, with sales projected to rise to around fifteen billion next year. John Tucker, Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Radio, Thanks John. Turning overseas, China and EU officials are whole their first in person summit in four years in Beijing, and we get more from Bloomberg's Jill Lisis in Taiwan.
Speaker 15: What they ultimately talked about was really sort of strengthening this idea of the trade partnership. We've gotten to read out from state media in China, saying that she was really emphasizing this idea of China being willing to be a key trade and economic partner for the EU. They were talking about they need to work on political trusts, this idea of mutually beneficial cooperation.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Jill Lisis says the meeting lasted only one day.
Speaker 2: And Nathan the European Union is nearing a deal on what's foised to become the most comprehensive regulation of artificial intelligence in the Western world. Negotiators are still hammering out the final details, but sources say delegates agree to a set of controls for generative artificial intelligence tools such as open ais Chat, GPT and Google's barred. And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that were joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris, Samy goodmane.
Speaker 7: Good Morning Karen. More than six hundred mass shootings in the US so far this year twenty twenty three, now on pace to be a record year for gun violence, and three people are dead in the shooting at UNLV. Sheriff Kevin McHale of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said that shooting originated on the fourth floor of a building on campus, and the unnamed suspect was killed by an officer at the scene.
Speaker 3: They hadn't been for the heroic actions of one of those police officers who responded, it could have been countless additional lives taken.
Speaker 7: At least say they know the identity of the suspect, they're not releasing his name until after they notify next to ken, survivors of gun violence, victims, families, and lawmakers gathered at Saint Mark's Episcopal Church in Washington, d c. For the eleventh annual National Vigil for All Victims of gun violence. Among those speaking at the vigil Senator Chris Murphy from Connecticut, we.
Speaker 16: Are here heartbroken by the fact that we continue to need to assemble, but we also have to be here booie by the fact that this is no longer a leap of faith. We have built a movement that will sustain, that will continue to win, and we have proven that when we build that movement and when we win, we save lives.
Speaker 7: The vigil was organized by the Newtown Action Alliance Foundation and held ahead of next Thursday's anniversary of the twenty twelve Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. On Capitol Hill, Senate Republicans are blocking a Democratic ban on assault style weapons. Republican Senator John Barrasso blocked the motion, arguing that the bill would label responsible gun owners as criminals. Capitol Hill continues to see an exodus of lawmakers, with Farmer Speaker Kevin McCarthy the latest to announce that he's stepping down. Bloomberg's Nazzy Llons has more on the trend.
Speaker 17: Terry Haynes with Pangaea Policy says, with Republicans Kevin McCarthy and Patrick McHenry announcing their departures this week, those left seem to have a particular bent, more.
Speaker 14: Of the firebrands, more of the people who think it's all about Team Red, Team Blue.
Speaker 17: Former Congressman and former White House Chief of Steph mcmulvaney says there could be more departures coming.
Speaker 18: If you're a Republican who has a better offer right now on the table, you are seriously considering it, looking for a way to leave.
Speaker 17: Mlvaney tells Bloomberg sound on from what he's hearing, it's a toxic atmosphere now on Capitol Hill in Washington. Nancy lyons Bloomberg Radio global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it. With Bloomberg News Now, I'm maybe Morris send this as Bloomberg here.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thank you. We do bring you news throughout the day right here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand, and that means whenever you want it. Like Amy said, you just subscribe to Bloomberg News Now and you can get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot Com, plus apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. Here's John stash Hour.
Speaker 19: John Jaron the Yankees for through an uncharacteristically down season in twenty twenty three, making sure it doesn't happen again. The day after acquiring one left handed hitting outfielder Alex Verdugo from Boston, they've acquired another one and it's a big star. Juan Soto comes from San Diego with another outfielder Trent Christiam. The Padres in return yet pitcher Michael King, three other young pitchers, and veteran catcher Kyle Higashioka. The Yankees may have Soto for just the twenty twenty four season. He's going to be a free agent after that. Eduardo Rodriguez, the veteran lefty leaving Detroit. He signed a four year deal with Arizona. Big fourteen of the NFL begins tonight. The lowly struggling two to ten Patriots in Pittsburgh. Stealers come off a bad home loss to Arizona, but they're in it for a playoff spot. Not sure if they'll have running back Najie Harris, he's questionable with a knee injury. Joe l Mb fifty points in Philadelphia's won thirty one to one twenty six at Washington. That drops the Wizards to three and seventeen. The Warriors are ten and eleven. They until the fourth quarter, but Steph Curry bail the Mouth scored thirty one. Golden State be Portland won ten to one oh six. Luca Donzi's played only thirty two minutes, scored forty at a triple double by halftime Dallas won by fifty over Utah. Cleveland beat Orlando. Donovan Mitchell thirty five points on the win, Paulo bonkeo forty two and the loss, and Desmond Bain scored forty nine in Memphis's win at Detroit.
Speaker 18: John Stash.
Speaker 3: That were Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 5: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on siriusxam, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan hager Moll.
Speaker 3: It's taken more than a decade, but it finally looks like the first ever spot bitcoin ETFs will arrive in the US soon. On the most recent episode of the Bloomberg Trillions podcast, Bloomberg's Joel Weber and Eric Balcuna spoke with ARC Investment founder Kathy Wood. They discussed spot bitcoin exchange traded funds, getting approval for them from the Securities and Exchange Commission, and convincing crypto doubters like JP Morgan, Chase, CEO, Jamie Diamond, and Senator Elizabeth Warren. So we want to bring you part of that discussion right now.
Speaker 18: You're still having to wrestle with a version of haters, right, And I think the haters actually, for a while within the last year and change kind of gained a little bit of an upper hand with the carnage that came out of the SBF fallout. So how do you wrestle with that sentiment that still remains, which is like, there's no point to this, why should I even bother?
Speaker 12: So I'll start there. I had to defend what we were doing throughout last year, so Tera Luna Celsius, three arrows FTX, and when FTX blew up, I basically said, and I think it's now clear that wait a minute, this prove the value of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin completely transparent, decentralized, no counterparty risk, whereas FTX completely opaque, centralized, and fraudulent. So that was the first step. But even more provocative, I thought, was during the regional bank crisis in March, as you pointed out earlier, Joel, bitcoin went up fifty percent as the KRE the Regional Bank index was imploding, an SVP and signature went under, and we were able to say to our clients, wait a minute, Bitcoin is not just a risk on asset. It is now showing its stripes as a risk off asset when there's a financial crisis and counterparty risk becomes a question, because that is a question with the regional banks.
Speaker 6: I think that.
Speaker 12: Has gotten a lot of people's attention, as well as others in the industry who were negative. And you're right, it's so interesting to see Jamie Diamond and Elizabeth Warren on the same side of the agreeing with each other. Kind of what But someone like Larry Fink coming around after years of focusing on the environmental issues that he thought were a part of the bitcoin ecosystem. And you know, I think one of the most important things that happened actually happened five years ago when Cambridge Associates published its first report on crypto and focused on bitcoin in particular and basically said to its foundations and endowments, look, you may not like this instrument, but you should get to know as much as you possibly can about it, because this seems like it's a new asset class with a very low correlation of returns to other assets. And so I think, but one by one, these points are I think are hitting home, hitting a responsive cord, and I do think the SEC coming around and blessing a bitcoin spot ETF is going to check the box for a lot of institutions.
Speaker 18: Let's say that it approves. What happens to the price of bitcoin when that headline moves that SEC has approved a spot bitcoin product.
Speaker 12: Some of it's happening right now, and.
Speaker 5: There's this.
Speaker 18: Room building for that moment. But what happens that moment?
Speaker 12: Yeah, very often, very often you will get a sell on the news because and I don't know where it will go between now and then. And you could have a sell on the news and you know you'll get but maybe some week holders in kicking and screaming and they may sell. But when you think we're at roughly nineteen and a half million bitcoin outstanding and we're only going to twenty one million, and I really do believe that, knowing the core some of the core developers the way I do, then I think this institutional push in will be the biggest reason that our target, which the base case is six hundred and fifty thousand and the bowl case is one point five million. One of the reasons that we have a shot that those numbers are close to the mark is the institutional interest in a new asset class.
Speaker 3: And that was the founder of our investment management. Kathy Wood speaking with Joel Weber and Eric Balchunis on the Bloomberg Trillions podcast downloaded on Apple, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on the Bloomberg Business app as well. Sticking with the tech space, Advanced micro Devices has unveiled new so called accelerator chips that it says will be able to run artificial intelligence software faster than rival products. At a launch event in San Jose, California, a m d's CEO Lisa Sue sat down with Bloomberg's Ed Ludlow to explain the truth is.
Speaker 11: We've all experienced over the last twelve months, this incredible revolution, right you know, chat rept has has really changed the way we think about what tech can do. And the underlying capability of that is GPUs, and you know, very very capable of GPUs.
Speaker 6: You know, we made some.
Speaker 11: Very very good decisions, you know a few years ago about how to put together this technology, and that includes both being very good for training, so training large models, but also very good for answering questions or inference so when you ask, you know, the chat rept a question, it takes sometimes a little bit of time for it to respond to an answer.
Speaker 20: Some latency.
Speaker 6: There's some latency there.
Speaker 11: And you know we've found, you know, really a great technological solution by adding you know, lots of high bandwidth memory or memory capacity.
Speaker 20: Fish and video will not have into H two hundred second quarter of next year.
Speaker 6: That is correct.
Speaker 11: We are industry leaning, so you know, best in class in terms of inference performance and.
Speaker 20: What is the side by side lisa on training and performance three hundred x versus H one hundred.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so if you look at we showed some of the benchmarks earlier today, if you look at training performance, we're very very competitive.
Speaker 6: Let's call it. You know, it's a toss up.
Speaker 11: When you look at inference performance, we're one point four to one point six times better. And you know what that means is, you know, if you're running these models, you can actually run more models, or you can run larger models. You know, with I three hundred and right now, you know the key.
Speaker 6: To AI is GPU compute.
Speaker 11: I mean that is absolutely what everybody says, and so we're here to provide lots of GPU compute.
Speaker 20: You've had the confidence to dramatically alter your your forecast for this market for AI accelerators. You're saying a total addressable market of four hundred billion US dollars in twenty twenty seven. In August, just in August, you said it was one hundred and fifty billion.
Speaker 6: What has changed, Yeah, And you know, really the way we.
Speaker 11: Look at these things is we usually look at these things on an annual basis, and so you know, when we were, you know, doing our plan for twenty twenty three and beyond last year, we thought that you know, this year there would be about a thirty billion dollar market and it would grow you know, fifty percent compound annual growth rates, so be about one hundred and fifty billion in twenty twenty seven, which frankly was very very large. But what's changed is we can all see what's changed, right, People need more compute.
Speaker 6: They're installing more.
Speaker 11: You know, the numbers for this year are probably closer to forty five billion. And when we talked to customers, when I spend time with our part partners, and what they tell us is the technology.
Speaker 6: Requires more compute.
Speaker 11: And so we now believe the total market for this it's upwards of four hundred billion and twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 6: It's huge.
Speaker 11: There's no one size fits all. They're going to be multiple solutions. There are lots of good solutions out there today, but we believe the AMD capability is very significant, and so.
Speaker 6: We're excited about it.
Speaker 20: It was interesting to see on stage how MI three hundred x manifests itself in the real world, but you'd already guided us that it will likely be the quickest AMD product to one billion dollars. There were sections of the market in the street that said your forecast of two billion dollars of sales for MI I three hundred x in twenty four was conservative. If you're saying that the total addressable market by twenty twenty seven is now four hundred billion, then is that two billion forecasts for next year, specifically for MI I three hundred x conservative as the market thinks it is, Well.
Speaker 11: I think you'll have to take a step back and just look at how this technology is evolving. So, you know, we did update in our last conference call to an expectation about two billion in twenty twenty four for our data center GYPUS. It's a very early estimate, I would say, you know, we have clear line of sight to that. But you know, what people ask me is like there is much more customer demand, definitely, and there's also significantly more supply because we've had to prepare the supply chain so that we're ready to ramp.
Speaker 6: So we'll update as we go along.
Speaker 11: You know, we are, you know, definitely on this path to ramp m I three hundred, the fastest is anything's ever ramped at AMD. And you know, I view this as a multi year opportunity for US.
Speaker 20: I mean, supply is a key question because when you say about two billion dollars, about could mean less or more than two billion dollars. But what is the state of supply right now? Has it improved such that actually you could exceed your expectations because you have visibility on great volume of GPUs to hand over to customers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 11: When we plan, we plan for success, and so our planning has the capability to be significantly higher than two billion. We have, you know, customer demand, you know, serve lots and lots of interest for I three hundred, and I think the key for us is, you know, one step at a time. Right Today was a huge day in terms of the launch We're actively in deployment with a number of the customers and partners. You know, Microsoft on Stage, Oracle, Meta, our OEM partners, Dell, Lenovo, super Micro.
Speaker 6: Everyone is really doing just phenomenal. HPE on them I three.
Speaker 11: Hundred a side, So a great, great set of partners and great partnerships for us to ramps as fast as possible.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, seriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak