Speaker 1: As a lead fifteen to ten touched up er.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys, We are back with a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly, presented by Microsoft Surface as always, joined by Mad Money Smith. What do you I got my surface here, a lot of information from the Patriots game and prepping for the Denver Broncos, and.
Speaker 1: Sin, don't you try to one up me? Come on, come on, let's see that it was just using it a little bit earlier. As a matter of fact, this is where I watch all the film, which I just watched every single snap of the Broncos Texans game and every snap of the Chargers Patriots game. I usually go back two games, so truly like, just finished watching the Chargers defense versus the Patriots offense two minutes ago on that thing, and yeah, we'll get into it, but love it. Can't recommend it enough. I you know, I've said it for years. I've had that thing for I don't know, four or five years now. Absolutely love the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, And we appreciate you guys sponsoring us all season long. Hara on Charges Weekly, Buddy, I saw you put up on your story the ride into New England, and I feel like that that's the perfect setup for playing a game there. It's like the most uninviting place to play for an opponent. The fact that the Chargers could play a forty one to thirty eight game in the same season as a six to nothing game where I don't think either team got into the red zone is remarkable. But an AFC win on the road, you will take it anyway you can get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just continues the theme that we've talked about regularly, and that is the Chargers allow their opponent to dictate terms. Now that's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is they are comfortable with game plans that are applicable to that particular week's matchup. They don't just play one way. It's okay, we believe in our defense, we believe in our special teams. It's wet. I mean it rained from the second the ball was kicked off until the second the final whistle blew.
Speaker 2: I should ask you, hey, the conditions, because Keenan said something like, Hey, didn't it didn't affect us that much, but it looked like it was coming down pretty good.
Speaker 1: Oh, it definitely affected him. I think that's Keenan just not making excuses. You know, he's a pro. He's not gonna to make excuses. It was coming down in sheets, so ten degrees colder would have been better because you wouldn't have had just the wet. You know, it would have been colder, but it would have been snow and it probably would have been a little bit easier. I think you saw that with a lot of the drop passes. Now you can go back two weeks and you still have issues with drop passes against Baltimore and Green Bay, and that is something they got to figure out. Otherwise they would have had two red zone possessions. But a just flat out drop by Q and a flat out drop by Parham prevented that from happening. So Parms would have been a touchdown. You know, he is in stride, he's got three steps on his defender. That thing hits him right in the hands between the numbers and it is just straight drop And it's been a bit of an issue now for parhim. You know, really this season he's for whatever reason, he was always sure handed and it's just kind of left him. But you know, when you've done it before, you know it's in there. So you just got to figure out what's going on and why he's dropping all these balls, and because that's think about green Bay, that fourth down turnover on downs instead of extending into green Bay territory, and it's just become a bit of an issue for parhim Q. We know we don't have to belabor that, you know, but that would have been a first and ten from the twelve. So Justin's receivers are letting him down. That's just the and they tell you the same thing. He's making the throws, he's standing tall in the pocket, he didn't take any sacks, they had barely any penalties. They played a clean game, and he didn't turn the ball over. And if you want to, you know, really, the way this thing was six nothing instead of what I think very well could have been seventeen or twenty to nothing is because of the drops. So I just don't I wish they would impose their will on somebody else. I wish there was a way, and I don't know what that way is, because I think this is their approach. Okay, this is the type of game it's going to be, and this is how we're gonna play, and this is what we think is our best chance to win. And I just feel like just kind of keep the door open for some of these teams on that front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to talk about the defense because I know Billy Zappy was under center, and you know it's not it was terrible Patrick Mahomes, but it's a shutout to shutout in the NFL offensively, though, money when you're in December. Look at all these teams from Philly to even Kansas City and the Super Bowl San Francisco. They can all run the football. Miami can run the football. And when you're playing December ball and you're trying to get into the postseason, you have to pack a running game like you're gonna have to rely on the running game at some point to win you a game. And this has been a problem all season. You know, take Week one out of the equation and a big run by Joshua Kelly in Kansas City. For the most part, this running game has been stagnant. And I ask you what's the most culpable part of this? Is it the running backs? Is it the way the offensive line is run blocking? Is it the lack of weapons on the outside outside of Keenan With all these guys down that you know they know that Keenan is the number one guy that's going to beat them, and there really isn't a clear cut number two. I'm just trying to figure out where we kind of diagnose this issue because it's a big issue. You're seeing Denver who's coming in this weekend. You know, Javonte Williams. They're relying on him to run the football and chew clock Austin. I don't know if Austin's still hurt, but fourteen for eighteen Joshua Kelly six for sixteen averaging one point two yards to carry last week against the Patriot's not going to get it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the answer, you know, to your question is yes, it's all of those things.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So I actually ended up watching every single run snap twice just I shouldn't say twice, but I just spent a lot of time on it from trying because it's just such a glaring number, right, you know, seventeen for eighteen and six for eighteen. You know, one point two per carry? So what went wrong? Everything went wrong? But if you were to ask me where I start, it's tight ends. It's the tight ends just can't block they they they are getting blown off their blocks. At least that was the case in the New England game. Gerald Everett and Donald Parham got absolutely washed out on every single run snap and a couple of the runs, I thought on one of the runs, I thought Austin had an opportunity. He chose chose the wrong you know, he chose the wrong gap. There was a cup values wide and look, I say these things not like, hey, you screwed up. That's not what I'm saying. I get it. It's you know, you're trying, You're you're in the middle of these things happen in a split second. You don't always pick right. But so one they it looked like, you know, he's he's got to read the gaps and figure out which one he wants to pay, and he just kind of hit the second gap he read instead of coming back one more, and it looked like that thing was opened up for him. On some of them. On quite a few of them, the offensive line is just losing. They're getting pushed back instead of pushing forward. There was one where it just kind of developed a little too quickly. Slater couldn't get out to the edge. He was kind of pulling out wide and the whole line was shifting. He just couldn't quite get out there to seal that block. So but but I think for me, what really really stood out was just how badly Everett and Parham got beaten in the run game. It seemed to be on almost every single run play, it was their guy that was making the play and was just in the backfield or in the fit you know, was fitting right away. And and that's something we've talked about, you know, we talked about it before the season started. We have a blocking tight end. Yeah, yeah, So it's just kind of like we knew these we knew that these tight ends are not blocking tight ends. They're really good. Gerald is a really good receiving tight end. He's not a blocking tight end. They don't have one. And so you know when that's the case, and look, not everybody needs it. You know that the right side just is not working, you know, Jamari and Trey, that's an issue. Whenever you run to that side, there's a there's a little bit more success left. But I think to to the point you were making that the boxes are stacked. They even though it's justin Herbert, they're not afraid of Jalen Guidon or are they afraid of Quintin Johnson. Those guys are in one on one coverage. They're brack. You know, the Patriots bracketed Keen in the entire game. He had two helmets on him the entire game. So I think you're going to continue to see that. And that's why, you know, hearing as we do this on Thursday, hearing yesterday that Josh Palmer's windows open. Man, if he could play, that's going to go a long way because they need him that And you know, I keep saying it as I continue to just kind of ramble here, but you know, just I don't I don't know why Alex Erickson isn't getting more snaps. He's just there's I don't get it. The guy catches, he's got sure hands. Made the play of the game, you know, on that third down. And I tip my cap to coach Staley and to Kellen Moore for just saying, hey, we got Justin Herbert. I don't need to run forty more seconds off the clock. You know, it doesn't matter to me if the Patriots have a minute twenty or if they have fifty seconds. Let's just end this right now. We've got justin Herbert, let's go end it and and man Erickson beat his man like a drum. He beat Brian like a drum. Off the snap, he got inside leverage and he pulled away and it's pouring rain, and Herbert throws him a laser and he, you know, downfield twenty yards. He secures it, and that's the game. And to me, I just got to catch the ball. And Alex Erickson catches the ball and Herbert, so think about it, right, that's the game. That's that's like, Hey, you complete this pass, you win the game. Where's Herbert go It goes to alex Erickson. So clearly there's trust there, which leads me to say, put them out there, let's get some more snaps.
Speaker 2: Maybe we see more of him on Sunday, and I hope. So when Mike Williams goes down, obviously it was crushing, but when Joshua Palmer goes down on top of that, that's when you're really kind of playing with one hand tie behind your back. With Keenan and you know, with Quintin struggles and you know, these guys just dropping balls. I don't know if Austin is one hundred percent you know, obviously, you know, there's the injury report and then there's just the wear and tear of the season. I still don't know why we're not seeing Isaiah Spiller when the runner, you know why, Like I get trying to earn it during practice, but like how much he really hitting as a running back in practice? I saw enough in preseason to say, give this guy. He has twelve carries this year money twelve carries over what are they five twelve games? He's averaged a one carry a game. You know, he's been active for five games, and I thought I saw enough at Texas A and M coupled with preseason this year to say, at least give him a shot, right because it can't get any worse than what it's been at this point.
Speaker 1: Or you know what, Chris or cut him or cut him? Yeah, like that's you know, they cut Elijah Dotson, so you know, cut him. It's taking up a space on your roster. What is the point you know, what is the point of having him on the active roster if you're going to make him an active every single game day and you're not going to give him an opportunity, Like that's the whole thing, Like We don't know what's going on in practice. We don't know if there is no situation with him, you know, behaviorally, if there's something there, Like, there's got to be something, because it does not make sense to carry this guy on the fifty three when you're going to make him an active every week, and when he is active, he gets no touches. He's not a special teams player. So what are we doing?
Speaker 2: You know, it's giving our teammate money. His former teammate eight Chan as a rookie he drafted. I believe in the same round looked like the best running back in football because he got on the field for a little bit. And yeah, I'm not saying this Spiller's eight Chan. I'm not saying that. But I saw enough at Texas A and M to know that, hey, they drafted him in the fourth round for a reason, and you can get running backs late who could be very, very productive for you. And I just don't know if twelve carries throughout twelve games is enough to make a determination on a second year player who didn't play at all last year. Give him a shot, because what do you got to lose?
Speaker 1: I think that's why I keep saying Chris, there's got to be something. There has to be something there. It just it's it doesn't make any sense. You know, you mentioned you know this last game, you know, six carries for eighteen from Joshua. What was it for for Austin? Seventeen, for eighteen fourteen, for eighteen fourteen, for eighteen? Why why are they keeping him off the field? So, I don't know if it's pass protection, if he's not picking up you know what they're asking him to do in practice. And it's like, hey, if you can't pass pro, you can't be out there. And maybe he's just you know, he's not maybe he can't play special teams that you know that the coach Ficken doesn't trust him on special teams. And it's like, okay, so now we're down a body there you've got to be you know, So I'm with you. I just because he's a big back. That's the thing is he's different from Austin. And look, Joshua's a bigger back than Austin and they're both physically strong, but like Isaiah's a legitimately big back, you know, two fifteen to twenty. He's a bigger guy. And then you would think he'd have value in those short yardage situations that they don't like to sneak Herbert, but they like to run. So I'm with you, but to me, it.
Speaker 2: Really impressive runs in the preseason money like that. I remember what it was.
Speaker 1: Like a saf the one of the guy called back on the holding.
Speaker 2: On the holding, but then he had another seventeen yard run. I think against the Rams or the Saints, I forget which team it was, but there was like two or three like wow, like wow, plays like this is an NFL running back plays And something that you mentioned a few weeks ago that I still am kind of puzzled by is just Austin Eckler in the passing game only three targets, two catches for nine yards. It was it was before one of these must win games where you're like, hey, we we got to get the ball in Austin's hands, and you know, if it's not working running the football, get them in space, because two for nine through the air for a guy like this, and we've seen he's he said Chargers records, he said NFL records as an undrafted running back, Like that's another guy that you have to kind of lean on during a time when your offense is lean at these explosive positions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I again, it's it's multifold. But you know, you go back to the Jacksonville playoff game last year and that's why they lost. You know, I had I did an interview with a the Broncos radios in Denver yesterday, and you know, the host brought up was just kind of he wasn't taking shots at Herbert, but he sort of was. You know, it was more like, Hey, are you at all concerned that all these close games aren't being won? You know that you talk about Joe Burrow and how clutch he is, and Justin and Jalen Hurts, you know, two guys that were drafted in his draft class. You know that win these close games. You know how much of this, how much of the blame does he does he wear? You know, does he share in? And he then specifically brought up Jacksonville. He's like, you know, you're up twenty eight nothing, twenty seven nothing, and you lose a game that's got to stick to you as a quarterback. And I said, that's I think that's fair. I said, but you also have to remember, you know what the approach was in the second half, it's we're up twenty seven to seven, and we got to run the ball, I said. So they tried to run the ball and couldn't, and so now they're behind schedule, and now there's three and outs. And they continued to try to run the ball to play that the game management, you know, manage the clock game, and they couldn't. And that's gonna bite you. You're you're gonna lose when you can't. You're going to lose games when you can't do that. You've got to keep the ball. Or the flip side of that is stop running. Just stop running the ball. Don't care drop that. Let's go. Let's go Texas Tech, Washington State, Mike Leach style. We'll run the ball three times. Just throw it, throw it, throw it, throw it, and you can throw it quick. You can have some RPOs, you can There were a couple of those, by the way, the couple of RPOs that I thought justin hand it off where you could see the end was crashing, and he should keep those. And you know those are where you know you can see the end crash, so keep it in take off. I thought there were maybe one or two of those. So it's you know, it's just a confluence of issues as to why it's not working. But it's gonna have to you know, these last five games that you have to win them all, two against the Broncos, the Raiders, the Bills, and the Chiefs. You're gonna have to run the ball at least in one of those games in order to win them. You cannot or again, just don't run the ball. My answer to it, just don't run the ball, I know.
Speaker 2: But knowing that you have to at some point, you know, like with Burrow, Burrow had mixed in spots. Lamar Jackson has.
Speaker 1: Uh gus said, that's running game in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you know, Jalen Hurts, Christian McCaffrey in the backfield, the way that Shanahan runs the football in San Francisco. Like, you can be an a league quarterback, but also you have to have some help around you and you have to have some balance in your offense. So we'll see.
Speaker 1: I think that's you know, you talk about you talk about the Eagles, Chris, and it's like and I don't know if they just didn't know or you know, sort of where they were at from an evaluation standpoint, but it's like, you know, just go get DeAndre Swift for a fifth round. Pick know, that's what it costs. It's a fifth round, talk about and we talked about it and the salary is nothing. So if you don't feel like, if you don't want to extend Austin because you you know, and I think we've seen a decline there, you know, certainly from his peak. So if that's your concern and why you don't want to extend him, number one, Number two, Josh Kelly's in his last year, and three Isaiah Spiller's gotten no playing time. Like to me, that's it's fifth rounder. You know, the guy's got juice, Go get them. So and they tried it last year with Sony Michelle and it failed miserably, and you know, it just seems like, for whatever reason, they can't get it right. You know, we've been talking about this since Melvin Gordon and Austin were together, and Melvin wasn't that effective, you know, and it was just like.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about this for years, like for years, seven years, and like, you know, just pushing it forward to next year however it goes. That needs to be an emphasis, like serting to be physical in the trenches with our offensive line, and we need to pack a running game for this quarterback, like a legit running game that could win games in December and January, because justin Herbert is phenomenal, but you can't do it alone. They haven't won close games, and I think the running game was a big reason why. So that's that's the offense. We got to give the defensive props.
Speaker 1: Though well, and special teams we got. We got to get to the positives of this game, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Start start with special teams. JK. Scott Man like phenomenal when you have a weapon like that. The hangtime that he provides and the amount of times he had to punt and put that Patriots offense way way back that won the game.
Speaker 1: Frankly, special teams was certainly. You know, if you were to rank them, I would put, as you know, the defense pitch to shut out, yes, But if you ask me to rank in order the units, yeah, special teams is won because that offense is does not have any explosive plays in it. So the fact that you're making them go ninety to ninety eight yards on every single drive to get a score is what helps your defense because now you have an opportunity to eventually get them off schedule. Sooner or later on a series. They just can't overcome their ineptitude. So that's and that starts with the starting field position. So we talked to JK after the game. Tells you what kind of game it was.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: That's who we interviewed the punter, the guy Yeah, and he talked about Josh Harris and how he prepared them for this game. He's like, you know, Josh was pivotal to this game. All week, all we practiced with was balls that were wet, NonStop snap. He goes for me holding the field goals for Cameron Dicker. We did it over and over and over again, balls that were soaking wet to make sure we had it, you know, a wet, heavy ball for Dicker to kick, to make sure he knew what that was going to feel like and to make sure that was right. And then for him, he's like, you know, the whole operation, he's and you forget about that, you know, you forget about the snap, and you know, for it to be a perfect snap every time, especially in those conditions. I things flying back there fifteen yards, you know, and Jk's got to get in his hands, spin it to where he wants it, drop it within a second and a half two seconds, then be able to get his full force into it. You know, he almost got one blocked, and he was able to get that one off. You know when they really pined their ears back and came after it because they recognized there's nothing else we can do offensively. We're not making anything happen, so we've got to try to figure something out special teams wise. And then on top of that, two field goals from Dicker made both you know, seven punts, every single one of them inside the twenty. I think four of them inside the ten or three of them inside the ten. I think they had negative six return yards. And on top of that thirty four yard punt return that sets up a field goal that now forces the Patriots to have to go the length of the field and score a touchdown and order to gain a lead as opposed to it being three zero. So you know, special teams really made the difference in that game. And it's amazing you talk about how they have not packed a running game really since since you know, really they've been here, and you know since twenty seven team. This was the worst special teams team for about three years in a row. You know, it was that like, they ranked thirty second in the league multiple years DVOA. They are now one, number one, And I think it speaks to what Tom Telesco believes in when drafting, especially you know, making sure he gets guys that can play special teams. These young players. Dan Henley was exceptional and has been exceptional on special teams. Nick Neeman, it should be a pro bowler on special teams to spend money on Josh Harris, to identify and sign JK and Cam and then on top of that, especially coach ficken and what he's done and how well he has done with this unit to make it the best in the league. It's it's impressive.
Speaker 2: We don't say coach Fickens name enough on this podcast, you know, special teams coach, but what he's done to turn around that you to man in two years has been unbelievable. Remember, but he didn't come in with Staley, so you know, Staley made the decision to bring him in on his second year of his of his tenure as the head coach and instant, instant success and you know the production of Darius Day. I'm glad you mentioned Darius Davis too, because he's been a weapon for this team. They had a nice weapon and DeAndre Carter last year, who also gave him some flexibility on offense and had he had a really good year. But but Darius has picked up and and literally ran with it and and it's been awesome. What's it like to call a game like that for you? And DJ? Like I said, you've called forty one thirty eight. Uh, You've called tons of games where there's nothing but touchdowns and six nothing.
Speaker 1: I said this, Yeah, I said this at the end of the game, and as everyone was kind of laughing, and you know, we're joking in the hallway with Spiro and Arch about the game we're calling and what a mess it is. And I think I'm pretty sure I said it on the broadcast, but I've said it repeatedly since I cannot count how many pretty losses I've called for this team, how many beautiful games that they have played that defended in a loss. But I can tell you I've maybe called three ugly wins, maybe three. So I'll take it. I will take an ugly win. And they don't happen often. Pretty losses happen a lot, you know, a lot they've happened this year, you know, Detroit, pretty loss, Beautiful, Herbert ties to score at thirty eight, you know, with three minutes to go. Yeah, they lose on a field goal. Game was beautiful, Miami beautiful, back and forth, trade and punch is offensively gorgeous game. You know, I'll take it. I'll take six nothing, you know. And that then leads us to the defense and just how special of a season that certainly they can you know, I hope they can lift him up. I hope they can punch their ticket into the playoffs. So Khalil Mack can win Defensive Player of the Year at thirty two, because I've got to believe nobody that's ahead of him right now, not with not with what he's doing, not with leading the league in sacks, leading the league in forced fumbles, and leading the league in sackyards. And I think back to multiple times the Patriots were knocking on the door. They're at the thirty, they're at the thirty five, and here it comes, big play, tackle for loss, sack, you know, And the thing about the sackyards, he's averaging eight yards lost per sack. So think about that, it's third and ten, you know, you now make it fourth and eighteen. You can't go forward on fourth down. You're pulling them out of field goal range. And that has been the case with Khalil year. You know, sack after sack after sack, he's got a hundred. I think it's one hundred and nineteen. I want to say it's one hundred and nineteen yards lost on his sacks, on his fifteen sacks. It's been really really impressive.
Speaker 2: And to do it without Joey Bosa on the other side too, because this current tear that he's on. I think he has two sacks in each of his last three games, and Joey hasn't been a part of that. We obviously know about the six sac game against the Raiders. Uh, the rookie Tooley took below two to have him on the other side the Chargers. You know, the jury is still out on Quentin. Tooley's gonna be a franchise guy. I was just gonna say it now. I think the Tooley is gonna be a franchise guy for this team, and he's gonna make an impact on this franchise for the next decade. So to have a rookie on the other side, it's a testament to the way Tooley's played to allow Khalil to do what he's doing. And you know, we've talked about the defensive struggles all year, and you know they made adjustments a couple of weeks ago against the Ravens, and like I said, Bailey ZAPPI a lot to be desired with that Patriots offense. I thought Romandre Stevenson leaving the game was a big boost to the Chargers defense. But you can't say enough about the year Khalil is having and and kind of how he's helping this team, trying to will this team into playing meaningful football in December Money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you started it, and I think I'll just pick it up when you mentioned Tooley and and this is something I also said, and because I know CBS showed the graphic during the game of Clinton and how poorly he's performing compared to every other receiver that was drafted behind him. And it's certainly a glaring issue that that we hope long term will be fine and overcome it and continue to grow your Your career is not one year. But if you want to ding the front office for that selection, well you better give them their flowers for the next three because Tooley is a steal he. You know, Will Anderson had a really good game against the Broncos, but you know Tuley had the force fumble and the fumble recovery. Tooley's got pressures. Tooley's helping, you know, he's helping Eric Kendricks. That that Eric Kendrick sack was a product of Tooley. The you know, the the Derwin James sack. They had two guys jump out to block Tooley, which opened that lane for Derwin to come flying through. So it goes beyond just the numbers for him. So that's your second round pick, your third round pick. We already mentioned core four special teams player, and I wish he'd be on the field for defensive snaps. I would love to see Dane Henley out there playing some linebacker, but he is. And again he made I think two tackles of those seven punts, two of those big tackles were I know two were Dean Leonard.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: I believe we're Daan though. So there's that one in the third round, fourth round. Obviously your number one punt returner in the league in the NFL, not rookie, number one punt returner in the NFL that has the longest punt return for a touchdown, leads the league in punt return yards on average, and set up another field goal, you know, essentially one that put the game out of reach at six nothing. So that's your two, three, and four. A draft is not the first round. A draft is a complete draft, and those three picks have really made an impact for this team. So you know, I think it's important to keep that in mind, you know, when you're when you're assessing the issues that that Quinton has had, and you know, the the disappointment there in in in relation to other receivers in the league and their production thus far. The rest of the next three picks have been exceptional. And and also you mentioned Khalil, you know, and you scratched it there, Chris, just how important he's been for Touley and and what Tooley has talked about, having him to bounce things off of as a mentor someone that's helping coach up his game and develop his game in his rookie season. So his value goes beyond the box score. And what he does on the field, considering there's no Joey Bosa and how effective Tooley's been. I think the other part of that too is that that we have to mention is how good the interior line has been. Nick Williams with a huge tackle for loss, you know, Morgan Fox has been effective again, you know, rushing the pass or from the interiors. Pastin Joseph Day has the most sacks of his career rushing from the interior. So it's really been a collective that's that's helped to overcome this injury to Joey and you know, hopefully he can get back before the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Hey, just going back to Darius Davis real quick. I'm just looking at a few of these games. So that game against the Raiders early in the season, that was the game where Austin was out. He had a fifty one yard yeah run to open up the game to kind of set the tone for that game against the Jets. Obviously the touchdown what he did last week. I mean, those are three of five wins that Darius Davis has had a direct impact on the game and winning the game. And this is your fourth round guy. Another guy from TCU coincidentally, you know, and I believe Darius had the best game of any TCU receiver in the National Championship and that blowout lost to Georgia. So he's been huge. He's been huge, And you know, we always talk about during the offseason where you know free agency, you don't quite know who the rookies are going to be yet, but a rookie will make an impact on your team, and it's just a matter of time before that kind of expresses itself throughout the season. I think we're starting to see that with Henley a little bit more on special teams, and I'm with you, I would love to see him out there. I know coach is very high on Kendricks and what Murray's doing right now, but finding a way to get a number zero on the field during these last five games, I think, especially from an evaluation perspective, because I don't think there would be much drop off if Henley was on the field of defense money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm just looking at the numbers with the Broncos, they are a very good special teams unit. So you know, if you're talking about a game that's going to be one on the margins, you know, I'm looking at their now they're gross and their net punting numbers aren't great, but that doesn't matter to me. It's you know, more about you know, punt return average, and so they are first in punt return average at seventeen point seven. The Chargers are second sixteen point six. They are sixth in return average against at six and a half. The Chargers are tent. That's super misleading because it's one return, it's one fifty one yard return that has skewed that stat. You take that out and they're probably first, but they're tenth at seven point two. So you know, they're converting ninety three percent of their field goals. The Chargers are converting ninety five percent of their field goals. So Special Teams is going to be a battle, and that's it's two of the best, if not the two best units in the game going head to head, you know, trying to you know, provide that little bit of extra you know, a little bit of extra push to get a victory. And it's gonna be it's gonna be fun, as as stupid as that may sound, it's gonna be fun to watch those particular units go after one another because they're two of the best in the game.
Speaker 2: Perfect segue into the Broncos. Let's take a quick break and we'll get into it all right, guys. A big thank you to our partner Microsoft, Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot Com. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast in array of offerings such as premium seating to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites, and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach. Go Chargers, so Mandy. The Chargers obviously need to sweep the Broncos to have any shot at the postseason. Haven't swept them since twenty ten. Just to kind of set the table on this Broncos team obviously started terrible one in five, gave up seventy points to the Dolphins. During that five game winning streak, they were a plus thirteen turnover differential, which is unheard of. I mean, it's just an insane stat that isn't sustainable. They lost twenty two to seventeen to the Texas last week. Russ had three picks. One was in the end zone at the end where you know they had a chance to win it and obviously go go on a six game winning streak. But we know about Sean Payton, we know about Joe Lombardi. This has always been a fierce rivalry and I think it's rated up a little bit. What's its stake for both teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chargers gotta went out, you know, I gotta win out. And the Broncos are darn near close to that as well. And I think you can see how resilient that Denver team is having started one in five and now finding themselves at six and six. You know that that speaks a lot to the character of that team and the fight in that team. You know, watching watching the Houston game back, the running game is good. Russell Wilson looks like Russell Wilson again. You know, he's yeah, he's he wants to push. I know a lot of people have kind of stuck him with that game manager tag because of what his overall numbers are. You know what the passing yards per game are, the fact that you know there aren't a lot of interceptions. Prior to last week, I think it was twenty to four is what the the tv I T ratio was, you know, and now it's twenty one to seven after the three and he was a little careless with the football, but he's extending plays, he's using his legs. He's their second leading rusher, he's their leading rusher in yards per carry and pushing the ball downfield, and he and Courtland Sutton got something special going. They they are, they are. He's got the Cortland's got nine touchdowns and he's got explosive plays all over the field. And that's gonna be a headache. So you're gonna want it to You're gonna want your defense to be connected. It's gonna be incredibly important. That pass rush has to get home. They've got to mind the edges. They cannot let Russell break contain because if he does, you've got capable receivers, you're gonna be able to break free for some big gainers downfield. So it's gonna be gonna have to be disciplined. And I think it's, you know, just don't don't let I would it's crazy to say, because they have a good running game with Yvonte Williams, who's Who's looks like he's starting to get back to himself after the injury. Looked like he really had that juice last week against Houston. But I still think, just if you can take away Courtland Sutton, you know, Russell is has been very focused on him, So see if you can take that away and force him to beat you, you know, other you know with other pass catchers.
Speaker 2: Do you put on some money?
Speaker 1: I will multiple people, you know, I think I don't think you have a lockdown corner on this team. You know, it's you just don't so I.
Speaker 2: Right now, Dean Leonard is he's in the he's on the injury report. Sorry, he's on the injury report as we tape this. Uh yeah, I think with a heel. So I don't know if he practiced on Wednesday or not. But yeah, so Mikey would be back out there. Yeah, you know, Mikey be back out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's it's gonna be a challenge with the defense. It's funny with the defense, Like as I watch it, parts of it are really good. You know, Sirtan is still exceptional and teams are just staying away from him. So they're gonna put certain on Keenan. You know, I'm quite certain of that, that would be my assumption. But like they just take the ball away. That's what they've been doing. They've been creating turnovers. So you think about the drops. Those drops can turn into picks, you know. I think about Quinton bobbling that thing and it's boobling around in the air and it's like that's those turn into interceptions. Yeah, Like that's that's what you got to be careful of. You know, the one that popped off of Keenan's chest and popped up into the air when he was being checked by J. C. Jackson just didn't quite get his hands out far enough in front of Like, those can turn into interceptions against this team. They're very good tips overthrows. They force a ton of fumbles. They're first in fumble recoveries with twelve, so their fumble luck is incredible. Chargers, by the way, second they got ten, So fumble luck Baltimore game, notwithstanding, has been incredible this year. So for me, like it's you have got to take care of the football because last week, notwithstanding, for the Broncos, they've taken care of the football. They do not give it away. So that's that's going to be a big part of it. Like that just I think speaks to how close these two teams appear to be out there. But oh yeah, so I was saying, so like Chargers are twenty ninth in yard in total defense, the Broncos are thirty first. Now, look there's a seventy point game in there that skews these numbers a little bit. But they've played thirteen games, or you know, they've played thirteen games, so they're you know, there there are twelve games. I'm sorry, they've played twelve games. So yeah, you can overcome the seventy point game and get that number down. But no, they're thirty first in total offense, thirty first in yards per play, twenty ninth in points per game, thirty second against the run, twenty fourth against the pass. They're you can get them, like you can get them now. They've been better as of late. You know, when you go through the schedule and you think about you know, they held Cleveland to twelve, they held Minnesota to twenty, they held Buffalo to twenty two, they held Kansas City to nine, they held Green Bay to seventeen on that five game win streak, so you know, they lost by giving up twenty two. So they've definitely cleaned things up from earlier in the season. Went over a three week span, they gave up one hundred and thirty two points, so you know, that's where the numbers get a little bit. But I do think I do think there's plays to be made out there. We saw that from Houston in that game that there are plays to be made out there, and you can trust that Justin's gonna be able to make them.
Speaker 2: So we got to figure out who that's gonna be. Right, if we're just kind of reverse engineering this, we say, Okay, Sertain's gonna be on Keenan, Right, we haven't really found out who the number two guy is. It could be anybody. Maybe it's Yer Old Everett, you know, maybe Ericson gets more run Like you said, Jalen Geiten deep. I think the key is gonna be Austin Eckler, and it's just finding ways to get him the football and hoping that he's ready to go. And then you know, like you said, you can run on them. Yeah, try to run, But who do you run with?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Is it gonna be more Joshua?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: That's what you know? Coach Staley said that, you know, there's gonna be some competition. I don't know what that means. I don't know if that means less for Austin, more for Joshua or Isaiah comes in the mix too and we give him a run.
Speaker 1: So I think, you know the interesting thing about the Houston game is we know you know they want to on the ball with you know, with Singletary and Pierce came back and they only rushed for three yards per carry. They ran it thirty times for eighty nine yards. But Nico Collins tore them apart, tore them apart nine catches, one hundred and ninety one yards in a tug.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, down, go out of that game. Money. So excuse me what.
Speaker 1: Tank Dell left pretty early. I don't even think he had a target. So here, Yeah, he didn't even have a target. So you know, Stroud throws for two seventy four a touchdown on what sixteen to twenty seven passing explosive plays all over the field, Brevin Jordan goes three for sixty four and then it just kind of falls out from there. But you know, they found they found a waldo, they attacked and you know they got after it. So that's and that's the thing about the Broncos, right when when you look at it, like, yes, Justin Simmons and Patsertan are you know, the two of the best, if not the best free safety and the best corner in the league. You've got to contend with that. But then you look at Fabian Moreau, you know, and like, and that's what they did. They just so you've got an opportunity. They're up front, they're good it. You know, they're good at rushing the passer. I don't feel like they're exceptional at rushing the passer. So I think there's plays to be made out there offensively. There's a waldo. His name's Mike McGlinchey, and man, he is leaky. He is it's and you saw that last week. They and you've seen it every week for the Chargers. Like that's the one thing that they have been really really good at. Coach Staley, Coach Ansley, you know, Giff Smith, who coaches a defensive line, they find the waldo. If it's on the interior, they find it. If it's on the edges at the tackle position, they find it and they exploit it. And you know, they exploited it for six sacks against the Raiders, and they exploited it last week. Both tackles were leaky, but but Khalil really was able to use some speed against Trent Brown. And I think McGlinchey is Garrett Bowles had a nice year. But you can get mcglinchy. You you can get him, So I think that's what you're going to try to to get after. You know, stay away from Cirtan, make sure your receivers whoever's opposite who's being covered by Monroe or you know, by Moreau, attack attack there. And you know, I would please keep it away from Baron Browning. My gosh, guys at nightmare whenever he plays the Chargers, keep it away from him.
Speaker 2: He's a force. You know what you Russ had a really good game against the Charges of week eighteen, and I think the one touchdown that the Broncos head that Monday game was the dultest wide open. But Russ eder Denver thinking he was something he wasn't, and Sean Payton has brought him back down to earth. He's playing I think largely how he played in Seattle, where you know, for the most part, mistake free, not a game manager, but but knows when to make the right similar decision, right, yeah, similar.
Speaker 1: I mean he's pushing the ball downfield, he's extending, he's doing his pirouettes, he's running the ball. You know, he's back to doing all those things. I do think Chris and look, I don't like Sean Payton I just put it out there. I'm just not a fan. I don't like the way he handled the when he's at Fox and he's got people, because I know he's got people. I know I've worked with him. I know some of his people in the media you know that are breaking you know, not breaking news, but sharing stories about how much coach loves living in southern California but he'd love to get back into coaching. It's like, yeah, we can connect those dots, you idiot. We know what you're saying. Hey, Chargers, fire Brandon Staley. I want to coach the Chargers and it's lame. And I hope Brandon sticks it up there, you know, in both of these games. I really do, because it's not cool. That is not the way you operate when you're a head coach in this league and there's only thirty two of these jobs, and you know how tough it is to win week in and week out. So you know, I'd like nothing more than to truly have him humiliated. I'll be honest. I just I do not like him. On top of that, the stuff he said about Nate Hackett not cool. No need to do that, which is why I was so ecstatic that they started out one and five and I'd hoped they would finish one in sixteen. But you've got to give him his credit. He was able to keep them focused, keep them believing. He got him back onto his path. He's a good coach. I'm not going to argue that, however, And I bring that up because I want to make sure I say this. I'm not saying this because I'm not a head coach in the league. But I think you see the Jets and you see what the Broncos were last year, it's clear that Nate Hackett has got issues calling offense. Clearly he has got serious issues calling offense. So I think it's important to point out, you know, maybe was it somewhat, was there some of Russell Wilson issues there last year? Yeah, But I think it's also important to point out, look at what's going this Jets offense is. I mean, it's an embarrassment, and that's Aaron Rodgers' fault, you know. And that's why Nate Hackett ended up in Denver because I thought they were going to trade for Rogers. And that's why Nate Hackett ended up in New York because Aaron Rodgers wanted him, and he's not a good play caller, and it's affected both of those teams all that. I'll be honest, Risus, I'm not that surprised that Russell wilson s bounce back. He's a good quarterback. He's a really good quarterback. So to think that his career was over, I thought was just a little crazy money.
Speaker 2: The other lair to this is the Joe Lombardi. Lair who spent the last two years with the Chargers obviously knows the personnel of the offense, most of it is the same, and you know, obviously is probably aligned with Peyton in those meetings about what he has seen from Herbert and the offense and the defense. He's been in that building for the last two years. How much do you think that will impact the game because the Chargers also know Joe Lombardi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it impacts it at all. Really, I think there's an all familiarity. But I think when Callen came in, he had said this that offense is so similar. So many teams share concepts and plays, and you can watch film and know exactly what most people are doing. Now, I think what you're talking to and I shouldn't say it's not going to impact. You're talking tendencies when plays breakdown. This is where he likes to But I think most people again can see that, you know, they watch the film and they can they can assess that themselves.
Speaker 2: Peyton I was like Joe, I thought he said, he said, well, you know what the film is? The film, right, you know, because they ask about Joe Lombardi and he said exactly what you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's an I And you know, I'm not trying to steal it from them and pretend like I didn't hear that. I didn't. But to me, it's to me, it's execution, protecting the football. The offense is the offense. It's twelve weeks in for both these teams, they are what they are. There's for me, it's the getting over the drops, figuring out why they're dropping so many footballs when they didn't when they led the league in fewest drops the first nine weeks of the season to the last three now leading the league in drops, you go from one to thirty two. That's a that's a pretty drastic difference there. What's going on? And if you can't catch the ball, let's get you off the field, and let's get someone who can because Justin's busting his tail back there. He's holding onto the ball, he's willing to take the hits, he's avoiding the sacks, he's making great decisions and he's not getting paid off on it. So got to do that. And don't let Court and Sutton beat you, and don't let Pats ertan and and that that turnover happy Justin Simmons. Don't let those guys take the ball away. And this should be a really tight game, should be a really tight notty, I'm not breaking news. Chargers don't play blowouts, you know, so what they do gonna look, I just will it be a high scoring a litle screen. I don't know it's gonna be a It's gonna be a one score game though, that's that's for certain.
Speaker 2: I've I've told myself. You know, we're not talking playoffs anymore. This five day stretch though, When you play two AFC opponents, you just beat an AFC opponent, that's big, right. It doesn't matter if it's six to nothing or you know, thirty five to nothing. You beat an AFC opponent in the New England Patriots, But coming up Sunday versus Denver at your place. Then you got to turn around and play the Raiders on Thursday night. It's five day stretch of football. Money will tell us a ton about this football team, where they're going this year and kind of what's in store for next year. I mean, the two division opponents. You've already beaten the Raiders. It's an opportunity to get to gosh, what do they have. They have won two, so they have four AFC West games to close this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their entire schedule is AFC. It's it's Broncos twice, Raiders Chiefs, and then the Buffalo game on Saturday night. It's it's just the playoffs, Chris, That's what it is. Yeah, you knock off the Broncos twice and you get the sweep there, so now you've got the tie breaker. You knock off the Raiders twice, you get to sweep. Essentially, you put them out of the playoffs. You give the Raiders, let's say they beat Minnesota this week, you give them their eighth loss. They're out because you've swept them and you now have that advantage over them. You beat the Bills. So let's just say let's say the Chargers if and this goes back to what we talked about last week when they had lost their third game in a row, and it's like, what do we know? What do we have to look forward to? And it's like, well, it lays out. It lays out for them where they can stay concerned and focused on themselves. They do not have to watch the rest of the league. All they have to do is win. It's that simple. They will not need help from anyone else because if the Bills show up here in week sixteen at eight and six, the Chargers will show up at seven and seven, and if they win that game, they'll be eight and seven, just like the Bills with the tiebreaker, and now you will jump them. So it's all. And by the way, the Bills are going to play at Kansas City and they will play Dallas. Those are their two games going into the Charger game. So and I'm I'm giving them wins in both of those like that, even if they get the wins, the Chargers, as long as they win, will still have an opportunity to knock them out the next week. Sweep the Broncos, knock them out the next week. Think about best case, and this is now powder Blue Glasses, Pie in the sky. They do something that we haven't seen them do all the year.
Speaker 2: You should have this part of the podcast sponsored.
Speaker 1: Exactly this is But like, imagine if they can figure this out. And they did last year. And that's why I don't feel stupid like a Homer saying it. But they were six and six and we were talking about what a mess lost in Vegas. This is a mess the team had, so and then they ripped off four straight and Week eighteen could have been five straight, but they played weird. Some guys played, some guys didn't, some guys played a half, some guys didn't, and they you know, so just throw that one out. So if they win four straight again, if you know, they had to end up being five straight. But if they win their next four, think about Week eighteen, think about Week eight team Kansas City at so far, maybe the Chiefs are playing for the number one seed and the Chargers are playing to punch their ticket into the playoffs. And if the Chiefs win, they get the one seed and the Chargers get knocked out of the postseason. And if the Chargers win, the Chiefs don't get the one seed. And the two teams will face each other the next week in the first round of the wild Card for the for the third time.
Speaker 2: And like, that's just the Football Night in America promo for Week eight teen.
Speaker 1: That's how it could that's if they can take care of this, if they can play inspired football, that's what we could be headed towards. If the football gods smile upon us, which they rarely do, but if for some reason it twenty three they decided to, that's how we could start twenty twenty four with a winner, you know, essentially not winner take all, but one seed versus just getting into the playoffs and then being able to take the team on that you just knocked off the following week to try to knock him out of the postseason after knocking them out of the one seed and a buy the defending Super Bowl champs. Like, that's what this is is set up for them to be able to accomplish if they can take care of their football business.
Speaker 2: On the field, and it would be even more impressive than last year because during that winning streak, you beat Nick Foles, you beat Malik Willitts and Ryan Tannehill, you beat Baker Mayfield as a ram who was there for like a few weeks. This version, you'd have to beat Russell Wilson twice one on the road. You'd have to be Josh Allen at your place. You might be Patrick Mahome's Week eight team exactly with eg O'Connell sprinkled it on a Thursday night. So I mean, that would be a heck of a way to close the year.
Speaker 1: Yes and not. And you said you're asking to do it beyond the quarterbacks division opponents. You've got to be four Division You've got to win four division games. Not not easy. The odds are not Look, I'm not kidding anybody, the odds are not in their favor. They split with the Broncos almost every year. They've been splitting with the Raiders almost every year lately. The Chiefs have had their number year in and year out. Since Patrick Mahomes became the quarterback. I think they have three wins against him, and one of those it was a Chiefs are rushing everybody last week of the year, So I understand. But at the same time, I also understand this. The Broncos were one in five. The Raiders have already fired their head coach and their offensive coordinator and are playing a fourth round rookie quarterback. The Chiefs have not looked good offensively. Look at the Chiefs last here's the Chiefs last five. Last five games, they have scored nine, twenty one, seventeen. They hung thirty one on the Raiders after falling behind fourteen to nothing. Yep, and nineteen. The offense is not right. The offense is not right. Patrick Mahomes is looking for that receiver. He seems like Rashie Rice might be it, but he's still searching. The defense has been a little bit leaky. It's gotten a lot more leaky than it had been, so they can be had they you know, it's a little bit of a different sort of setup. I think, you know, it's important to keep it all in context, the good and the bad. You know, the bad you split with him, and the Chiefs have had your number. The good. His teams don't look that great. Broncos are one and five. They just lost to a Texans team that had the number two pick in the draft last year. You know, so.
Speaker 2: I won't apologize for this portion of the podcast, by the way, because if you're a Chargers fan, you're listening and watching Charges weekly because you want the charges do well as long as they're in the mix. I'm just telling you what lay out some positive vibes, right Like, hey man, I grew up in the DC area and the Washington Now commanders right every every December because they were always nine and seven, eight and eight, ten and six, always or worse. So when they were in contention, December was fantastic because I would do the scenarios. I would say, if they lose here, that's okay because if they win the next three and this team loses, you got a shot. Now, you don't want to be in that situation more times than not. But this is where we are. They're still in contention, and until they're not, we can lay out some scenarios, give some people some hope.
Speaker 1: No, and look, I'll finish on this. The point that I'm that I'm making is we thought, like always that the AFC was going to be this buzz saw and you had better be able to keep up. And it's anything, but every team has been sucked back to Earth and has issues. Pittsburgh is starting tonight as we record this podcast. We got a Mitch Trubisky against a Bill Belichick defense seven and five Steelers team, the Cleveland Browns just played Joe Flacco, who looked old and slow and got blown off the field by the Rams eventually in the second half. The Colts, Like, the teams that you need to be worried about are the Colts and the Texans, and thankfully they all play each other. The Jags, who now have no Trevor Lawrence, the Colts and the Texans are going to close the season by playing each other in this round robin for the AFC South, Like there is Jajoe monro Is.
Speaker 2: Jake Brown, and Kurt Warner.
Speaker 1: We don't know, That's what I mean now, Like the Bills are six and six. So the only point I'm making is you don't you don't have to have heartbreak because you were five and you were four and seven and you went on that three game losing straight because you lost to Tennessee in Week two. They can they all they have to focus on the Chargers is this week, and if they win this week, all they have to focus on is next week. They don't need any help. They can punch their ticket into the postseason on their own by winning out. Even though they were four and seven, they can still get into the postseason on their own volition without other teams falling out. All they have to do is win. And I think that's that's got to be a much more comfortable position for Brandon Staley and his staff to be in. Guys, don't worry about anything. The playoffs are still there. It's still a very real that that is still a very real outcome of this season. Just got to win. We just had to get to ten wins in a different way, that's all. So let's go get there.
Speaker 2: Let's go do it Sunday Chargers Broncos in a quick turnaround. Imagine we're gonna have to tape charge weekly early next week, maybe on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I would guess we'll leave probably a little bit later on Wednesday, just because it's a Thursday night game, so I can't anticipate the we're gonna be leaving before noon. My guess is we can bang this thing out on Wednesday morning.
Speaker 2: Okay, and and maybe we'll have a better idea of the injury report we want to get you guys.
Speaker 1: Shoot, Chris, we can do it on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Do it from I want as many people listening to this thing as possible, though, so that's true.
Speaker 1: So let's go Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do Wednesday morning.
Speaker 1: We'll do Wednesday. Get them ready, live on the.
Speaker 2: Pod, Get you ready, and hopefully it's it's coming off a big win against the Broncos and better be you know, gets you the seven seven if you beat the Raiders, the better. I think we laid it out. Nice man, anything else, all good, all, good man, all right. Uh, enjoy the game, guys. Uh say hi if we see it so far. For money, I'm Chris. We'll see you next week.