Speaker 1: He is Drinks Chess, motherfucking podcast.
Speaker 2: He's a legendary queens rapper. He ain't agreed as your boy in O R E. He's a Miami hip hop pioneer. What up is dj E f N? Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean? And the most professional unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk fas.
Speaker 3: Drinks Chans, Mother Days, New Year's c's It's time for Drink Champs.
Speaker 2: Drink up, motherfucking mother.
Speaker 1: What did it could be?
Speaker 2: Hopefully winning shippy? This is your boy in O r E? What up is d J E f N?
Speaker 1: And this is drink Champs? Yeahs. And right now, when we talk about you know, oh geez, when we talk about legends, we talk about icons, we talk about a person who put it down for a whole coast, a whole region, whole area, whole whole, national wide and global wide, one of the most historic groups of all times. And now he's transitioning. And I got a belly full of a trilburg of a vegan style and people were eating and say, are we sure this is vegan?
Speaker 3: That's how good it Wasn't I thought it was you gave me me bro't pause, yo he yo.
Speaker 1: But in case you don't know who I'm talking about, we're talking about the one, the owner of, the honorable, the impeccable motherfucker.
Speaker 2: It's good, it's good to be back with you, brother.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you something. Every time I come to Houston, you're probably the first person I call you j And there's a couple of other people.
Speaker 2: Said, yeah, no, no, that was Humble Brand at Bubble Brad.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of sugar Land. Can you describe where we're at right now? Yeah, you're in a suburb, but here is the festival, but we're in sugar Yeah, you're in the city of Sugarland. This is a suburb of Yeah. Yeah, but it's not Harris County. It's in its own county. But I mean, everybody understands this is Houston.
Speaker 2: Like we in Houston, we say we going in Sugarland, but you're still in Houston. If you're born in Sugarland, you probably say you live in Sugarland. Whe If somebody asks where you're from, you're not gonna say you from sugar Land. You're gonna say you're from Houston. Okay, this is what. I hope. I'm not disrespecting nobody from Sugarland. If I'm wrong, somebody need to stand up for Sugarland and he'll live, you know, all right, speak up, sugar Land. Okay, that's a bit sugar people speak up now.
Speaker 1: On the real estate market, you look at Texas, Houston, Dallas, one of the like the most places that people are running to.
Speaker 2: Is this something that you're seeing perfectly well? Yeah, I mean the cost of living here, right is exceptional, right for people in the entertainment in this, people in athletics, or just people in a higher tax bracket. You know, you know, there's tax incentives to move to Texas. You know what I'm saying. The quality of living here is respectable. So you don't have to put it like this. If you spend three hundred and fifty four hundred thousand dollars on your house, you're gonna see four hundred thousand dollars worth of house technically in Houston. Now if you moved to certain areas where it costs a lot more to buy the land that you build on. Yeah, but Texas is still a very wide open state in terms of real estate. There's still a lot of uncivilized land here that people are still able to go in by acres, build you shit up. White Wise also a better place, absolutely, I mean why you think Drake would come here and just like I'm gonna come buy a house here. A lot of people have house here, houses here, a lot of people in the athletic world live here in the off season. Yes, okay, absolutely this house is crazy Sugarland too, right. I don't want to speak on that. Yeah, I don't want to say what that man house that but this guy Jial targeted. But it's nice though, it's nice. I mean technically James Harden got enough money to buy a big house anyway, but his money definitely goes further in Houston for sure. Good schools here. You know, it's just like any other city. You know where not to go. You be all right right now.
Speaker 1: Let's get into trill Burgers. Man, I'm gonna be honest with you. You're my friend. I had business in Houston, so one of the first things I did was come see you at the spot. Yes, and it's I don't want to call it hip Hop's number one burger. I want to call it America's number one burger. Are we going cobel.
Speaker 2: Are we saying no? No, it's the best burger in the world. And I can tell you why. But that's not just me saying it. Right, So this Trill Burgers is the best burger. Sorry they laid out right, But the best burgers in the world always come from America. So technically, if you got the best burger in America, you have by default the best burger in the world.
Speaker 1: Who gave you the ward good morning? Good morning America makes the looise for white people giving out black people.
Speaker 2: That's one for the as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean when white people recognize your ship.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. This is when you know the food is good in the hood. When you go there and it's in the hood and there's white people eating in there is a fact because they wish say life for that jerk chicken. Goddamn it you they misking that life for that curry soup, and they listened that life for that Tril burger.
Speaker 2: Goddamn it.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So you save that burger. Relax, man, I'm saying. I'm just we're not in the hood, were hood of Jason. What you said you're gonna get a gang. Hey Man warlorder forgot if you if.
Speaker 2: Your arms still were good, you get throw a rocket hit the hood.
Speaker 1: But you know, I know personally there's so many people who try to buy trill Burgers, try to franchise by the brand, try to get down and you're like very adamant about keeping it how it's run brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because I don't think it's time to I don't think we need anybody for that right now. We don't need that level of cash investment right now. We're good for that. We don't need any help marketing a brand in the company. We're good with that. We'll get to that step eventually. Everybody gets to that step where you have to bring in specific partners so you can target bigger demographics and expand the brand out. But for right now, I think we're good in a you're looking for Oh yeah, no, no, and I think we can. We can, you know, knock out a couple of locations in Texas alone. I think we get six to eight doors and Texas open very easily within the system that we already have.
Speaker 1: Right because I'm not gonna lie to you, that's what I knew. You have way more integrity than me.
Speaker 2: That's that's new yourself under the bus, right, man, that's a new one.
Speaker 1: I would have sold to McDonald's. Trill Burgers would have been Trill Donalds.
Speaker 2: You would have put your joints happy Meals.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna burgers and win these out of make collaborations with everybody, you said.
Speaker 2: Fuck that. Well, if this ain't the time, even if this is something I want to do with the company in the future, this ain't the time. We haven't built up enough value into the company. I'll be selling out for a Volkswagon. I'm trying to tell if you know a Bugatti. Yeah, I want Bugotti value. I want big money. You know what I'm saying. Because my thing is I can get rich with the model that we have now right, I can make a couple of million dollars. But this is if we do this right, everybody involved with the ownership of this company is in position to attain generational wealth. And that's really what we want to do with this company. You know, I shouldn't if I live to be one hundred, I still shouldn't live long enough to see how far this this company grows.
Speaker 1: You know, So let me ask you, because every bike thing they could cook, right, you know what I mean? Like, no bidke thinks they're a bad cook, right, Everybody.
Speaker 2: Like, oh know, it's a couple of people know they can't cook. No.
Speaker 1: I know I could burn cereal meat personally, I know how Like that's me said, burns cereal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people that I know, they think they could cook, yes, but they don't go into this culinary arts. What made you gos like so hard with this?
Speaker 2: So we started a food blog about ten years ago, me and my partner, the Premium Pete started the food blogs you Gotta Eat This dot com because we met over sneakers, and we met through other people and through other things, but we bonded over food. Wow, and we just love to eat food. Me because I was a fat dude than him. He just I don't know, he got a tape worm or something because he just just eat, eat eat. He eat way more food than I eat. And we thought, you know, we started a blog, we go out, we take a couple of pictures, maybe we could get reservations at restaurants and something like that. But it really yeah, but it really just yeah exactly, but it really expanded into something well, we started to go to different companies, you know, people would go and test out different products, and it made us want to actually get into the culinary space like with businesses. So he activated first with his grandmother's Apasta sauce, right, you know what I'm saying, which is amazing, and he's been doing very well with that. And then when I got approached with the opportunity to do these burgers, I had been looking for something, and when these burgers came in my lap, I was like, this is it. This is what I've been waiting for all my life. I haven't felt like anything like this since probably hip hop getting married and this this is like, this is what. It's a different passion. Yeah, yeah, no, I got passion. It alliance with purpose, you know what I'm saying. It makes me want to be present in the moment and learn. Yeah. No, that's the thing. Like, it wasn't worth compromising what I would do it If this was just a regular ass burger, I wouldn't even touched it, you know what I'm saying. Because I built up thirty plus years a blood, sweat and tear integrity with this UGK brand and this trail brand, It's not worth selling out for a couple of thousand dollars behind the bitch ass burger. I knew this burger was the truth. I knew it was the truth. I knew it was different.
Speaker 5: But let me ask you this, though, when you found the burger, it wasn't trill. You made a trill.
Speaker 2: The burger needed me to quantify being trilled it. It's a thing. If somebody else would have said, hey, this is trill burger, they would have been like, all right, I get the burger, but what make it trill? But they didn't come to you. Sat no, no, no, no, no no no. I can't do that. You labeled it yes, Because my thing is I'm going to be associated with this burger. I'm gonna be the face of the burger, less associated with something that people already know me for, that already got weight to it. You know what I'm saying. I wouldn't have done it if this burger was not Trio. In my eyes, I wouldn't have put the name on it. It wouldn't worth it.
Speaker 1: Because you said the burger fell on your lap. In my mind I pictured you barbecue on one day and it fell on and nah, just hit barbecue on one day in this say you couldn't.
Speaker 2: You couldn't do this in the backyard. With all due respects to all the chefs and the cooks out there, this is not something that you could have developed in the backyard.
Speaker 1: So it described to us. Someone came to you and said this is this hits the.
Speaker 2: Burger to you. They came to me, they said, we have a burger. We think it's the best burger. We want to partner with somebody in Texas. We thought, we think you're the best person to partner with. I try the burger. I was like, this is a badass burger, Like for real. I was like, this is it. They were like, we're gonna work on it a little bit more. They came back to me. I tried it. Not only was it the best burger I'd ever had by far, but it was one of the best meals I'd ever had. That's why people keep coming back to Tril Burger because it's so satisfying, and the flavor and the taste and the product has been consistent. So it doesn't matter if you come to Honeyland and get a Trill Burger, if you go to the brick and mortar to get it if you get it at a festival at the NRG Stadium, during the Texans game at the Dynamo Stadium, rock the bells. Wherever you get that burger, it tastes like the burger. You know what I'm saying. Now. As you can see, I don't know if we're cursed or something, but it's always a process to get a trill burger. You either got to stand in the sun. It's coal outside. As you can see, it's raining out here. People complaining about the weight, They complained about the weather, but it ain't Nobody complaining about the burger got jam.
Speaker 5: But what was the learning curve between them bring you the burger? You are in the music industry, you're a legendary MC and now you're transitioning into the food industry.
Speaker 2: What is that transition? Was it easy? Was it lert like? Was there bumps in the road. We're still in progress, right, I'm learning. I'm learning it every day. No, no, no, no, that's right now. Those far technically, yes, it's successful because we have we don't have to fight to get people in the door, right, But there are many things that I don't know about this industry. There are things that I'm learning every day, you know what I'm saying. And we're trying to streamline the process. We're trying to refine the process, but this thing keeps growing exponentially. It's so many moving parts to this company, and so we're just trying to get the model downpacked right, and then we're trying to replicate the model. Once we know we can easily replicate the model, then we can start popping in bitches where we want to put them, you know what I'm saying. But all these things come with time. You don't want to move too fast and not know anything. Just like if you're an artist and you come in the game and you go platinum off your first single, you ain't ever been where. Now your promo tour, you going all over the world. You got one of these biggest records in the world, But you don't know nothing about about publishing, mechanical royalties, merge. You don't know nothing about it. So you can't really take full advantage of the opportunity in front of you. Luckily, I have some great partners that I work with. But even with all the resources and the tutelage and experience that we have, we still make mistakes because nothing like this has ever been done before. There is no blueprint to do what tril Burger's is doing. We've broken every record every music festival we've ever been to. We broken every single day and weekend vendor record anybody's ever had anywhere, even including coach Teller. All of these big things. We go and we kill it. You see this line out here, it's ridiculous because it's a real product. I'm not standing at the booth taking pictures and they know that in the rain, and they still standing out there because the product is real. It's not only an incredible food product, but it got thirty years of trial culture built into it, you know what I'm saying. So there's residual benefits for not just buying the b but supporting the brand. And we recognize that as a company, and we appreciating. Love y'all and respect y'all for that.
Speaker 1: God damn makes some noise for that. Now, If anybody ever been to trill Burgers or ever visited a location where you've been posted at, it's only two types of burgers. Yes, the beef burger. Yes, it's a vegan burger. Can you tell us the breakdown or why you chose those two.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you know, we want to keep a streamlined the process as possible so we can cook as much food and get it to people as quickly as possible. So the less things you cook, the easy it is to get people what they want, you know what I'm saying. But then also outside of that, you know, we want to make sure that we're making our food available to as many people as possible. That's why there's a beef burger, and that's also why there's a vegan burger. If all you Turkey people, I love all you Turkey people, we hear you. But everybody has to understand. I'm sure most of you people understand how food and kitchens work. Here. I have to have a separate grill for every protein I cook, So I have to so every beech don't cook the beef. I know you can't it here. You can't.
Speaker 5: You defeat the purpose, okayou.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean if you cook a vegan burger on a grill, now you're violating. You're violating with that. So all the bee burgers have to be cooked on their own grills. All vegan burgers have to be cooked on their own grills. So if I wanted to incorporate Turkey, I'd have to either take away one of the grills that's already used for something, I'll put another grill in there, and I don't have enough room to put another grill in there. But it's something that we considering that the brand grows and we start to looking at the other locations also to go like, we haven't really been able to do door dashing all of that because our kitchen is small. It's finite, so we know people want the burger, and then you know, we're still trying to make sure that when we do do that, that burger is packaged in a way that is still refreshing for people when they get the food. Because I don't know what the fuck people uber drivers be doing, go stop at their gay house or some shit. I don't want nobody to eat me all fries and going through y'all ship, you know, so take a little piece, you know, you know, I mean, it's human, it's human. Naser. You ever you ever went to get like McDonald's or something they send you to go get the McDonald's. You don't just take your hand in the bag from fries, right of course you do it. Of course you do. That's just human asia, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, now is the question straight from my friend Shampoo. Okay, he wants to know, are you guys going to ever make Glizzies?
Speaker 2: Can I just say this? I say? Can I say this to the camera? Which camera am I talking? Which camera?
Speaker 1: Shampoo?
Speaker 2: Is Shampoo? Only somebody named Shampoo would be asking about glizz Only somebody named shampoo. If you had one question to ask me, it would be about glitz.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you how crazy.
Speaker 2: Don't let Shampoo ask no more questions on your podcast preconditioning.
Speaker 1: We'll let me tell you how crazy Shampoo is. I invited him to my crib for a barbecue, right, so I try to cater to his This is what he likes. He likes glizzies, So I bought turkey glitz. He was mad at me. He was like, I like Oscar Maya Holmes.
Speaker 2: Y'all wrung for just bringing gizzies. I mean, just tell him, just tell him to bring Oscar with him next time, and he'd have an Oscar glizzy anytime he want.
Speaker 1: Boss, So let me let me ask you, bun, because.
Speaker 2: One thing about.
Speaker 1: Your boss is you You are one of the greatest people I ever met.
Speaker 2: Not greatest rappers. You're the greatest.
Speaker 1: People I ever I see people, not only me and e FN, but people sincerely loved you, people sincerely.
Speaker 2: Fuck with you. I'm blessed.
Speaker 1: Do you think is that's the reason why the Trio Burgers was a success. That you got people in there, and then once they got in there, then the burgers smacked them the other way.
Speaker 2: And I risked it off of this burger. I put everything about me that everybody knows about me and everybody associates with me into this burger because I believed in the burger that much. Now, it was all about getting people in the building to try the burger, right, But if people don't like the burger, they not coming back, coming back, you know what I'm saying. So I'm not trying to hit a one time lick. I want a sustainable building, you know what I'm saying. I want a sustainable company that can exist in multiple locations and be everything that people want a burger to be, you know what I'm saying. So no, this is about the burger being the start of the show because I can't be there every day. So if people only come in to see me and take a picture. If they walk in and I ain't there, they walk out, right, I don't want people to I want people to walk in for the reason they're supposed to walk in, because the food is good. Period.
Speaker 3: And let me add to what he's saying, like, how much of the independent Texas djscrew mentality that you come from the jew applied to the marketing of Trilburger's.
Speaker 2: Well, this was just about you know, I put this burger on my back, right, and the same way that we went out as artists and had to build this thing, grassroots, word of mouth. That's what we did with this burger, you know what I'm saying. We treated the burger like it was a new album or a new artists, you know what I'm saying. So we went on promos. It cost us a lot of time to get in the building. You know what I'm saying that festivals we have to pay fees. Now, people invite us to festivals, they wave the fees because we bring culture with us. When we're into the festival, we're a draw like people. You know, people are already coming to the festival and maybe people are on the line. Maybe I don't know whether or not. Don't want to go. They know tril Burger is gonna be the I'm gonna go because I've been waiting to try this burger. I'm at the burger, you know what I'm saying. So you know this is about building something that's sustainable on its own that way, Like I said, ain't nobody start eating at Windy's and they've been gone for a while. It was like, I'm going to eat it later.
Speaker 5: I was like, nah, you're gonna eat if I don't sound like them.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hurt. It's worth just stuffing hurt. Let's go on Burger so it's easy on you. Is amazing.
Speaker 1: And what kind of cocaine is in the bun? That bun is addictive? It's potato. It's a potato bun. But come on, no one's listening. Tell me the secret.
Speaker 2: It's a potato bun which my due process turns into sugar. And there's nothing more addictive on the planet. This sugar. Okay, okay, cocaine.
Speaker 4: They running neck and neck Sugar is easy franchise in Miami.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was cocaine.
Speaker 1: No no moving.
Speaker 2: Got it. Look look look the glasses you got it right now.
Speaker 1: You already know, we already know you're going to open more locations.
Speaker 2: If yes in Texas, Yes, will.
Speaker 1: Be your ideal location.
Speaker 2: Outside of Texas. I mean, look, I believe Dallas is dying for this burger right now. You know what I'm saying. So you're saying outside of Texas, Oh, Dallas.
Speaker 4: Well, let's be fair, Texas is like its own country.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, which is five different times. Also, we're taking.
Speaker 2: Out We're going to do at least six to eight doors in Texas before we even look to move outside of the state. But I would love to bring this burger to Louisiana. I love to bring this burger to Oklahoma. You know what I'm saying. I want to bring this burger everywhere that people eat food eventually, you know what I'm saying, one country at a time. You know, I'm trying to be nice. I'm gonna let I'm gonna let him live in France until I come and body it and all that. But I'm excited about the opportunity to bring this burger to New Orleans, to bring this burger into Atlanta, to Detroit, but also cities you know, like the Louisville's and the Saint louis Is of the of the world, you know, the Cincinnatis and the Columbus Ohios. I think everybody should have an opportunity to have the best burger in the world. You shouldn't just have it because you live in a big city. Fuck all that. I'm not from a big city, so I know what it's like when something like this comes to town. So we want to bring the circus to town for people when we open these trail burgers.
Speaker 1: I look, so, what is the next product you're gonna add on to the menu?
Speaker 2: But we just started trill tenders. We just sold yes, but that's not gonna be on the menu because we're gonna keep the burger business burg so it's gonna be a separate business. So we just competed about three weeks ago in Tenderfest, which is the national chicken tender competition sponsor behind R and B Company.
Speaker 5: Best my invite you want to go to.
Speaker 2: You look like you ain't text me, that's my bad. Test was in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Real, yes, downtown, don't tell me downtown.
Speaker 2: No, No, it was actually it was actually in the middle of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: They got Beverly Hills chicken tenderest.
Speaker 2: Yes, they called me and they and we weren't even in the chicken tended business, so we got invited to participate. So what they do They ask a lot of well known chefs and companies to come in and do their version of a chicken tender. Right, take a product that's very you know, very low five, very easy to access, and try to make something high profile out of it. So we competed against three other chefs and restaurants in l A and we won. Like wow, make some noise for that, you know. So technically Hind said, we have the best new chicken tender in.
Speaker 1: America sold on. This will be in Burgers.
Speaker 2: No, this will be its own, separate business. Yes, and it's a beast. The reason it is a beast is because it's the freshest tender. Like we're not we're not compromising on quality with Trilburger. That's the thing you know you're gonna get. You're gonna get a quality product, You're gonna get an ample serving business. Yeah. Absolutely, no, it doesn't make sense to consolidate that. Consolidate that because I believe it's its own brand that can stand on his own two fee. Yes, and it's a lot easier to operate, quite frankly, than a burger business, you know what I'm saying. So I don't need as much staff, I don't need as much prep for it. It's very easy to open that door. The food truck's coming very soon because the truck is very easy to do with tenders like that that line out there, we could never do that kind of a line with a food truck. You just can't get the typical amount of equipment we're about to put it and get a mobile kitchen like you can't even call it a food truck the size of it what we're about to do. We're about to do some great things with this company.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: We're really excited about the opportunity to present this burger to as many people as possible. And that's been the thing that's really been holding us back is not having a truck. Because the truck's very easy to put into a space and activate. When we got to rent the grills and all of that, sometimes it gets complicated, you know, zoning and different things come into plays. So I think as the time goes on, next year twenty twenty four, we'll really be able to attack because we'll be in multiple places in multiple cities at the same time.
Speaker 1: I'm a big dipper. What kind of dipping sauce is on a chicken tenders?
Speaker 2: So we have a sweet pink sauce. We have two sauces for the chicken tenders. We have a sweet we have a sweet pink sauce, sweet pink, yes, yes it is. We have a sweet pink sauce. And then we have a spicy soy based sauce. So we give you two sauces, so you have an option. I personally like I like to mix a little bit of both. I like to dip it in the pink sauce and top it with the soy. But that's up to y'all. But we make sure that there's enough flavor. See that's the thing about Trilburger, right. I realized that most burgers are popular not because of the patty, but because of what they put on a burger. Very few people by burger for the patty. They buy it for the condiments. But so if you took just the patty off of most burgers, you wouldn't even want to eat it. The way it looked. I argue that Tril Burger, the best part of the burger is the patty. You could take everything off of a Trill Burger and you would still want to eat, you know exactly. You know what I'm saying. So that's how we feel with the chicken tender. Even if there's no patented sauce or anything to dip in, or even if you don't have any ketchup, you should still have a moist chicken tender with a crispy crust on the outside, with flavor in everybody. Okay, so let's just let's just rip. Let's just rip the band aid off of the thing.
Speaker 1: Is this chicken tender spot also gonna have straight up fried chicken?
Speaker 2: Not yet, No, I'm looking. I'm not trying to complicate the market. Right. If we're going to do fried chicken, then we got to do different things with sides, biscuits and all of that type. That's not the model that I'm trying to do. My mottol is probably closer to a cane or a Chick fil A. You know what I'm saying. You stay in your lane. If you find one thing you could do, you do it well. You replicated, and you can do it like that. You know, I don't have to make a million things to make a million dollars. If I do one thing well, I can find a million people to buy it. So, Bud, you obviously found that.
Speaker 3: You obviously found this passion, right, how does it match your passion for hip hop and the music side.
Speaker 2: When I found hip hop, I fell in love with hip hop. I wanted to hear all the new records. I wanted to see who all the new artists was. I wanted to read the magazines. It's the same thing with food. I want to learn more about the business. I want to read more. I talk to different people. I had people that have proximity to the industry, but because I wasn't in that space, I couldn't really talk to them about that stuff. Now I have now that I'm in the food space. Friends of mine that are in restaurants, like, we both know Big Teach, right, we were both very supportive and helping Teach, you know, help get his brand out there. Now Teach gets to bring that to me and help teach you help teach them so much. Absolutely so, all these relationships that I already had, I just try to make relationships with a lot of good people everywhere. It doesn't really matter what they do. Just because they can't benefit me today don't mean they can't benefit me tomorrow. So I don't try to burn any bridges that I built with people, because you never know where you need to cross it, you know what I'm saying. So it's been beautiful to have people that I've sold into that have been successful, so back into me. And it's not just fool people either. People like Drake and people like call It. They come over. They know they have energy that can help activate my brand and help put me on that next level, and so they bring that to me. Most people would be trying to bother Drake for Averse, right I don't need no verse help me get these burgers off, you know what I'm saying. Do you feel the evolution of hip hop?
Speaker 3: We're celebrating hip hop fifty right now, and do you feel the evolution of hip hop to where it's at right now? Makes it a perfect time and place for you to launch a business like this? Is it helpful that we're evolved this way in hip hop right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think if an artist wants to be involved in the business side of the music industry. It's a perfect time. I think most artists have to have some type of business acumen in order to be successful. There isn't anything that you can't learn from being successful in the entertainment industry that won't transition into other things. This is business. The way you communicate with people, knowing who to talk to, who to look for when you walk in the room, all of those things transition into any factor of life, you know what I'm saying. So I just found my path through this burger. But I tell everybody find your burger, find something that you love to do, and figure out what it is that you already know, all the resources you've already taken in the experience you got, and the people, in the relationships you've built, and see how that shit can help you. You know what I'm saying. Because you may have a friend that could never help you in any other aspect of your life until now, right, and now that becomes your closest friend. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Right now, your staff all cast COVID tomorrow, right, they can't come hypothetically hypothetically. Can you open up the spot yourself? Can you make the burger yourself technically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if my whole staff got COVID, probably eighty ninety percent of the city got COVID, so we probably ain't open nowhere. That was a terrible night. I don't know. Could you technically make a trill burger. I'm gonna make a burger in about an hour for real. Yeah, I'm gonna make a burger on the grill. Now, there's no part of this burger, there's no part of this company that I can't add myself to you. If anybody that came to any of the early pop uas probably saw me cooking back in the day, you would see me. Sometimes somebody couldn't show up. I would have to go in the line. I would have to go work the fries. I would have to prep the burgers or wrap the burgers or something. But I can build a drill burger, no question. It doesn't make sense for me to be out there and doing that when it's such an easy thing to learn, and it's something that I'm asking people to do every day. I wouldn't ask people to do something that I wouldn't do myself. So, because this is a hard job to do, standing over that grill, it's a brutal job. Imagine doing it outside in Houston on a hundred degrees summer day. So when my staff is outside sweating, I'm outside sweating with them. You know what I'm saying. If they got to put work in, if they need me, I'm there. People see it all the time. I'm always ready to turn up. Now.
Speaker 1: What's that that kool aid you sell?
Speaker 2: Straight up? Yeah? The cool cup, cool cup, juice, the watermelon? No, no, no, no, it's my wife, my wife top. We might be putting a little bit too much serve in your your elimonade. Sum yeah no, no, no syrup. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: You can't go to sleep over that that is. You don't need no coffee, none of that.
Speaker 2: But shout out to Exotic pop Man forgiving you know, young artists, young Black people, and a revenue stream, particularly the families of those that we've lost. They've been able to create these sodas for many of of use and artists that have passed away. And by selling these sodas, they're given the proceeds to the family, not a portion of the proceeds. He gives the proceeds to the family. You know what I'm saying, it's a way that we could continue to honor their memory and sow into their families. And so what we've been doing at Troburger is that when is somebody's anniversary of their passing, if they have an exotic pop soda, we do a special combo with the burger and the soda to raise money for the family. On that day, we.
Speaker 1: Gotta go to tril Burgers to do an episode. We want him to come to Miami to do an episode, but half of the episode we should.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you're in Miami, and then the second part of that and we're at Burger's.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't tell you, man, how this couldn't happen to a better person. Man, You know what I mean. You're you're You're a genuine guy. You're honorable guy.
Speaker 2: Let's give him flowers, man, Yeah, yeah, man. Our show is.
Speaker 1: About giving people flowers, and we gotta give your flowers. Come on, Paul, you drunk motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Hold up stop, Hey, hey, this is beautiful. Yes, this is beautiful. Yes, I gotta do this for somebody. We got to put this in and we got to put some burgers in a box like this, and on the people. This is beautiful what y'all done for the culture.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That's why you've been rewarded in the way that you've been rewarded, because I've seen this from day one. This was not a money grab. We didn't know if no sponsors or nothing was coming out. I was just trying to get drunk with your friends and talk shit. You know what I'm saying. And some of the best nights of my life has been me and Norrie drunk. The stories we can never tell, you know what I'm saying, hanging out and left right. Hold, let me ask you something.
Speaker 1: If Pepsi was alive, Yes, what would his mill beat at trill Burgers.
Speaker 2: He would probably want it all the way because he ate onions and pickles, so he would have ate this all the way. But the only I think that's the only person that would have ate more trill Burgers than my wife because my wife technically is eating more trill Burgers than anybody else. Like she loves the burger. I mean, I had the Veggie's amazing. But if you could have a trill Burger anytime you wanted high, wouldn't you. I can't eat. I try to get mad about it, but I can't, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Tried to Vegan Burger.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, yeah, absolutely. I think he would have tried everything we sold and he would have told me it's on his opinion, So it would have He would have been the one that I would have been like, after I tried it, I would have probably asked him to try it and see if he felt like I felt.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a hip hop question. So many people who respect you, all new in between whatever. Do you ever get shocked at how many people you know pay hoppits to you?
Speaker 2: I do? I do. I was just at this event in Los Angeles that CBS put on with the Recording Academy to celebrate hip hop's fiftieth anniversary, the one that everybody was at. Yeah yeah, that looked amazing, and Chuck D came over to me, and I mean, the outpouring of love and admiration that Chuck D continuously shows me blows my mind. Wow, you know what I'm saying, Because records like my Ouzi ways a Ton was the type of shit that made me like, yo, they talked different with this. This is just a whole different way of talking, you know, And when I realized that you didn't have to be from a certain place to do it and be a part of it, that I was sold, you know what I'm saying. But you know, to see a Chuck d in a flavor flave like flavor had walked past me and didn't realize it was me and came back like double back, you know, he ain't got that to do, you know what I'm saying. And so when the ogs, my ogs show love like that, it's only right that I'd be as gracious, if not more gracious, you know what I'm saying, Because the people that opened the doors for me, like, you know, I had to fight to get there, but there were people, there were people with the foot in the door holding it open for me, you know what I'm saying, And they appreciate the way that I came in and the way I represented in the culture. And it's so fulfilling. Because before there was any money, before there was any cars and mansions and all of that, you wanted rappers that was nice to say you was nice. And I've been able to say that pretty much everybody I looked up to as an artist looks at me as as a as a real rapper, like not just a dude making songs like I'm really out here doing my thing, and that's that's an amazing thing.
Speaker 3: To carry it and to double down what he just asked, And this is a question that Nora usually asked the guests. Did you ever think hip hop would take it this far? To the point where you've expanded your brand further than hip hop and it's still hip hop, but you've gone in other realms outside of the music side of hip hop.
Speaker 2: Not at all. And I'll tell you why, because I've been here long enough to remember when hip hop almost just off off. The general principle rejected sponsorship right right, because we were very concerned about corporations coming in and really taking advantage of the of the of the culture, you know, manipulating the culture and that people within. We didn't really know whether or not that was going to be a bad thing. So when Hammer had a cartoon and Kid and Play had a cartoon, and people were doing Pepsi and KFC Commercial Mountain had the Mountain them the big you know, it wasn't until the Sprite campaign. Yes, it wasn't until that sprit campaign when they staw Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean they were the ones breaking the ground. Whutang Biggie ice Cube, all those guys were slowly breaking that down.
Speaker 2: But they realized that they were allowing us to define ourselves and dictate, dictate. At first, they tried to manipulate it and present it in their way, but it started to come off as parody and people that fuck with the culture didn't fuck with the product. So it wasn't until they started bringing authentic voices from the culture into the space to allow them to tell the story. Perfect example is Russell Simmons and Rush Communications the Coca Cola campaign. I don't know if y'all know, but y'all know the Coca Cola bear. When y'all see the Polar Bear wintertime. Russell Simmons company came up with that campaign for Coca transform the brand. You know what I'm saying. But if there isn't a product on the planet right now that doesn't sell, isn't that doesn't sell itself through hip hop, you know what I'm saying. Like this music, there's themes, it's breakdance and all that shit. It sells everything on the planet. Movies there's no movie trailer. It's so hip hop. We don't even know it anymore. That's how hip hop every We don't even pick up on it. That's what I'm saying. It's so hip hop. I'll look up, I'll just be doing something and then no one man should have all this power? Or what movie is this? It seems like they do the same song over and over selling it, you know what I'm saying, Because we tell these stories of triumph so well, we tell these stories of pain and grief and transition through those things and obstacles, which is what most movies are about. You have a conflict, you resolve the conflict that. Who does that better than black people? You know? Who deals with that? Who navigates the nuances of that better than black people?
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, right, pimps could come back.
Speaker 2: For one day, Oh Jesus snort, and.
Speaker 1: You guys could do a versus.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If I look at y'all, y'all like that one, everybody like.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's anybody else besides balling g for us to go up against it. I don't and I don't think. Let me let me tell you something. Pimp's presence is very real in a room you've ever been in a room where UGK record has been played and MC burst come on, the spirit of Pepsy is in that room. The energy shifts when you hit that ship. So just just that, the spirit, the idea, the notion, right because when you hear the music, you imagine what if he was in this room right now, in this space. The thought, the idea of him occupying space with you in modern time, in real time, it's just so it's so hard to grasp. It's just you would you would your mind would explode if you saw Pips in mind into just so just the idea of him physically being here that I don't know like and I don't even know what U g K would look like right now, right, there'd be different albums at this point, so by the time we got the verses, it might not be nobody that could have held this ship. I'm just saying, is there is there.
Speaker 1: You know, because everyone knows all of us is pretty much unique individuals. Yes, Is there any new artists that you look at that reminds you a little bit.
Speaker 2: Like similar to Pip or no one ever? There is no one man I think that can replicate it. Right, You see some dudes with the personality something. Yeah, I see I see that in most people, you know, making this Dawion embodies a lot of what Pimp represented. I think that's why it was so jarring for people to see it coming from a woman. You know what I'm saying, But she's not saying nothing that pimp wasn't saying. It just came from a female perspective. But I think I think I think Club God be King. I think he carries a lot of I think he's talking about a lot of the crazy, nasty ship that people will be talking about.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think I think there's a lot of people that carry his his beliefs, like krit has. You know, Krick carries this passion of making Southern musical production looked at a very high level. Killer Mike has the care and concern for his community and his people that that Pimp had. You know what I'm saying. There's so many different things, but I don't think no one person could encompass everything that you had encompassed. That's why he was so special to people.
Speaker 3: And if anything, they're all carrying the torch that is PIMC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we all do in the sense I think you know, I think many of us have to carry that toych because you know, we can't just sit by and watch fuck shit. You know somebody got to say something.
Speaker 1: Yep, well one man, congratulations man that you've for comeing to see us.
Speaker 2: Thank you in your hometown. It's all I don't I don't want to leave sober. I gotta this is drink Take a shot? Is this is drink? Sha take a shot. I feel like I'm cheating if I leave sober.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I want to show love to e fl.
Speaker 2: Just got the key to the county, so that means Miami and all surrounding areas like the sugar Land if you would have got.
Speaker 1: The keys, and also the Sunny d B Sunday Birthday Darrel's wife birthday, I believe.
Speaker 2: And no more shampoo questions, no more shampoo. So much mat chancing y'all, everybody, Thank y'all for having me at Honeyland today.
Speaker 5: Drink Champs is a Drink Champs ll C production in association with Interval Presents hosts and executive producers n O. R.
Speaker 2: E and d J. E.
Speaker 5: F L from Interval Presents, executive producers Alan Coy and Jake Kleinberg. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs, hosted by Yours truly, dj EFN and n r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials that's at drink Champs across all platforms at the Real noriegon ig at Noriega on Twitter, mineus at Who's Crazy on ig at dj efn on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink champs dot com