Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning the breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody is j n V Charlamagne de goud. We are to breakfast Club. We got a special guest joining us today, one gentleman. He's running for Stockton City Council District six. He's a friend to the room. You know him, ladies and gentlemen. Jason Lee any other brother is a CEO and owner of Enhance Health. Matt Hermy, Good morning, good morning, good morning. So, uh let's start off with you, Matt. What is Enhanced Health?
Speaker 3: So enhance SEUTH today is the largest ACA provider in the United States today. Primarily most people don't know that you can get affordable health insurance for free. Around the COVID era, the government put in place a what do you call a low income subsidy. So what we do is we help the underserved and unprivileged population get health insurance. So, for example, this past year, we got about a little bit more than a million policies out to people who never even knew that they can get average for free, nor did they ever have health insurance. So not only do we do that, but we educate these consumers on how to access health care. So a lot of people just run to the emergency room, they run to urgent care. They don't even know that they can get a primary care physician. So not only do we help them get coverage, but then we pair them up with the doctor and really help people get healthy.
Speaker 2: Now, now, how do people do that? I know a lot of people that actually have to go to emergency room or urgent care when something happens because they don't have a primary physician. So what's the process of gaining a primary physician and for free? So there's no copays in nothing.
Speaker 3: Depends on your state, depends on the policy and from the policy that you have. But usually yes, usually you will find policies with no copay, but the premium that you usually pay is usually expensive in the prior years, but that would be free to the individual.
Speaker 4: How how long you've been in the healthcare field and I've been at you into it.
Speaker 3: I've been doing about healthcare for about fifteen plus years. Always been passionate and and helping people. Always thought health insurance is important. And when found out that we can give coverage now the individuals for free, it really sparked an interest for me to really help people. You have people out there that are our single mothers that are pregnant, you know, diabetes, mental health, special needs kids that need coverage more than anybody, and to not realize that you can't get it, the government is doing a poor job letting people know that this is here to help people. And that's really what my message is is to really spread that amongst the communities. And that's why we partnered with individuals like Jason Lee and some other celebrities and influencers to really help use their platform to spread the message.
Speaker 5: Before we get into the collaboration, you and Jason got why should somebody choose Enhance Health over other healthcare program?
Speaker 3: Sure, so in hand self is not competing with any carrier. So what we do basically is we are a brokerage if you want to call it, where we have access to every care you're within the exchange. The exchange is where you go to get coverage. So based on your demographics, your zip code, what medications you may take, well actually give you the information of what's going to be the best policy for that individual. So we're not we don't just say hey, we're going to put you here because we make more money. We place individuals where they should go based on what they need.
Speaker 2: How difficult is it, you know, as far as age is concerned or pre you know, preconditions like whether it's somebody has CANCEL or HIV or you know they are smoke or one of those things. How difficult is it to place people in places where they can actually get the care that they need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a great question. So in prior years, you would go through something called underwriting. Underwriting is where they would turn you down. And ACA they made it so anybody with press and conditions can get approved guaranteed issue. So it's just like anybody if you had no condition or you had a condition, anybody can easily sign up.
Speaker 4: How did this partnership come together, Jason?
Speaker 1: So I met Matt, you know, at the Floyd Mayweather Fighter who's one of the sponsors. And then eventually when we had the Hollywood Impact Awards and we were looking for partners that would be able to integrate into the event, understanding that it's about how people that have influence use their platforms to move the culture. We had lunch and when he told me about Enhance and all that he's doing to help our community specifically, he integrated into our award show, came up on stage with Tiffany and I talked about Enhance and what he's doing for our communities. We immediately met after that. And you know my background before entertainment, I spent eleven years with the Labor Union, working with Kaiser Permanente, and I remember when we were going through that process of developing the Thrive campaign. It was really about educating, specifically people of color who look like us, who only go to the doctor when they're dying, that preventative care was important instead of managed care. So how do we prevent diabetes or colon cancer instead of managing it when you get it? And so, as you know, I've been like heavily involved in my process. I lost one hundred and thirty two pounds because of you and our relationship. I started being open at therapy and I'm actively participating in it. I feel the change, I see people see the change. And then I recently got my colonoscopy after I found out my dad had found polyps, and they found polyps when they did mine, and so I had three and one of them was I guess I don't know the speak cancers. Yes, And so now I got to go back in three years to get it checked again, and so that kind of scared me. But you know, as you get older and then you get more involved in your process of really wanting to live longer and have a more healthier life experience, you understand that there's a lot of us that may not have the benefits or privileges that some of us where we are in our careers may have. And those are the people, my family members, my friends, people in the hood that I want to make sure they have access. So we sat down and I said, you know what, we need to create a partnership where we can get to the culture where we can where we can do it in a way that the government is unable to do it. So why don't we create a partnership. And that's where we establish healthcare Unlocked. And so we have Hollywood Unlocked, and then we have enhanced health And I said, our tech and is going to be making health care cool, because we should want the young twenty year olds who have health insurance or twenty one year olds or whatever who have health insurance to understand that participating in your health care process isn't when it's too late or when it's almost too late. I had pre diabetes, inflammation, sleep appnea. I was three hundred and twenty three pounds and I was literally on the pathway to a heart attack, and I just didn't want to die. So I took aggressive measures to get healthy. And now we've been able to create a partnership where we can get access for folks who may not have had it before.
Speaker 2: And not only that, I think a lot of kids when they graduate college, I think the age is twenty two or twenty three when COBRA ends, and COBRA is when you're under your parents' policy and it ends and you have to get your own. And most people don't know how. If they don't have a job, they can't get out. So this could be a perfect way for them to definitely check it out. So I was going to ask you, besides that, is this part of the reason why you're running for a Stockla City Council District six to help people in the neighborhood with things like healthcare jobs. I've seen you want to pick it line the other day. Is that part of the reason why you're doing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, you know those folks shout out to OP three, the union that was striking and stocked and striking against the city. Part of that is there in the process of negotiating their benefits with the city. Healthcare in the world of the workforce is a benefit and those benefits are always at stake because those become one of the most significant line items and employer budgets. So that is part of it. But it's also you know, at my kickoff on December eleventh, we're going to have a table there to educate people on healthcare and LOCKED and how to get access. We have a phone number they can call, and we've also taken this partnership beyond just the way. We actually have a whole department at in hands health of agents who are helping to sign people up and helping to navigate through the process. So yeah, this will be a part of my campaign because healthcare is important and my district definitely needs to have access to it.
Speaker 5: We talked about this earlier, Jason like at the top of the show, Well, this is an interview, so shut up, Charlotte Mane. But do you think you're you're going to be taken serious because of the Hollywood and Locked background, because people associate Jason Lee with mess and messages even though you know I've known you long enough to see the growth, to see the evolution.
Speaker 4: Do you think others will?
Speaker 1: You know, we live in a different time right now, where the world took Trump serious even after he said grab them by the vagina, and we've seen that in most cases, cancel culture applies to the culture more than it applies to people that don't look like us. And if a person can fast track his way to the highest office in the country and become the most powerful person in the world, I think anything's possible when it comes to me. I think that the reason why I wanted to come here and love coming here, the reason why I did Simone Sanders show. The reason why I'm allowing black storytellers to interview me is because we're not a mono list, and we're not the sum of one experience or one job. I worked in education, I worked in probation, I worked in healthcare, I worked in community organizing, and so I'm pretty much just showing people another layer to me and now having gone through therapy and understanding the power of my platform, which is why I did the partnership with Hanson Matt the reason why I decided to step into game and to you know, become an elected official because I don't want to say politician, and because I'm not accepting money from you know, the developers in the city or meeting with groups that don't plan for economic development on the south side. If they don't believe that the black and brown kids in South Stockton deserve the same life experience as those on the other side, then they're not for me. You know, I'm in the business of people. Do I think that people are going to come up with mess Yeah? I already got one person that email me and said, I heard you own You own only fans and are only fans model? I'm like, well, only fans is worth eighteen billion dollars and if I was an owner and a model, probably wouldn't be running for public office. But I'm expecting it. But you know, if they know my job, they know that I've pulled up every receipt I can find, and I'm ready for it and I look forward to it. And what would you say to people as sales?
Speaker 4: Okay, we a match receipt, your seat for receipt? Baby.
Speaker 1: I mean the person I'm running against right now, I understand yesterday they fought an ethics complaining against her because she uses the city resources for her job. She's a mental health professional. She's literally going to be absent from one of the biggest vote in the city today when we're turning out hundreds of people because they're voting about a warehouse initiative that's going to cause an extreme amount of you know, environmental issues that she has refused to meet with the people about, hasn't showed up, had no town hall, and she's not even gonna be present during the meeting today. So she's one of those people that doesn't she cares more about her position in politics over the people. I've just gone back and now given a bigger platform, a bigger voice, and also outside resources where they're more focused on you know, local district attorney holding them accountable. I'm talking about, Hey, we got the DJ, we got other ways of doing that. I have to give a certain shout out to Brando. He's one of the city council members up there. When I went back to do my nonprofit, he said, why should we support your nonprofit to help these kids who are dying every day and have no opportunity. When you're friends with Floyd Mayweather, and Rihanna, why don't you just ask them for help? And although I am talking to Floyd and Rihanna about help and everybody else, I know, I just felt like that was a loser response to like a crisis that's ripple in the community. And so when I went did my research on him, I found out he allegedly robbed his grandmother. These are the type of people who are leading in the city right now. So you know, all my stuff is out there and I'm the most transparent person. I'm excited about this whole experience.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you, you know, what do you say to people that say, well, is he taking this serious? Meaning? You know, we always see politicians run, and usually sometimes they run for the right reason to be in office, and sometimes they run to for their side job just just get the recognition. What do you say to people that say, Jason Lee has so many goddamn jobs. He has a show on Revolt.
Speaker 1: Two months ago.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, no, thank you for that. Yes, yes, it's podcast. He has Hollywood Unlocked. He has all these shows that he's doing. He's doing hosting, he's traveling around the world. When we have time to concentrate on Stockton, California.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm taking this serious one. I went and got me a home in the city. I made sure to create that as my place of my domicile where I live. I actually moved in and I'm excited to be back in the community. My show is, my job does require me to travel. I think all my global traveling, I'm getting out as soon as I can, because you know, when I win in the primary March fifth, then I have until January first to start. But you know, I have a full staff of people who manage my company. So I have two days that I film and the rest of the time, I'm committed to my nonprofit, Hollywood Cares. I'm committed to health Care and Locked. I'm committed to doing the work there in the city.
Speaker 4: And are you gonna have to give all that up if you win?
Speaker 1: No? Absolutely not. No. I just we did have an executive meeting recently where I'm leaning on my staff and like the leadership to really own all of the parts of my business. So Rob Smith, who's my CEO, is in Miami every week all week, you know, leaning on our partners there and enhanced to lead health Care and Locked. Yeah, I think it's a valid question. But I'm welcoming all the questions. I'm welcoming welcoming all the suspicion because what I learned for sure is that we have given up in this political game right now because the right right, the left is too left. It's like we're in the middle of this ping pong match. And so I am glad that people are questioning the process. But I'm also excited at watching how more civically engaged my community is. There's more black and brown people. I mean, one person yesterday drove all the way to the airport to get keys to a property so they can go and put my signs in. I mean, that's how supportive the community is an active in this campaign. So yeah, I welcome all the criticism. We're gonna still win, though.
Speaker 5: Matt, what are some common mistakes people run into when they're choosing their healthcare programs?
Speaker 3: You know, most people are going on that do know about insurance because you see the little ads on TV. Healthcare dot Gov's very confusing. You know, you could sit there and spend forty five minutes and I would say most people go to the top writer of your screen to hit the X button. You know, and they're out not choosing the right policy, not making sure that there's coverage for doctors in your area. Just really got to pay attention to what's wrong. You know, what symptoms you have, what medications to be able to pick the right policy for yourself. And that's why we're able to do this in about a twelve to fifteen minute window and somebody calls in and we're able to pick the right policy for you. I would say picking the wrong policy is probably the biggest mistake.
Speaker 2: And when you're talking health coverage, does your health coverage include eyes in dental?
Speaker 3: It just depends on you know which carrier it is and what policy. I mean, we work with so many different carriers, every carrier that's offered within the country we have on our platform.
Speaker 1: And honest, what about Medicaid redetermination because that's a big conversation as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you have you have twelve fifteen million people just got kicked off of Medicaid throughout the entire year, and it's happening throughout the year. Most people that had Medicaid didn't even realize that they lost their Medicaid. So it's another another problem. We're currently in the White House and also leaning in on the States on fixing that problem for the country as just a massive issue.
Speaker 5: Right now, what do you say to people who say they can't afford healthcare?
Speaker 2: It's free?
Speaker 3: You know, it's free.
Speaker 4: Hey, I believe that shut up is free and people don't know that.
Speaker 5: That's why that's why partner with folks like Hollywood unlocked is good because you can able to find it well.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that's crazy when you talk about were in the White House. So you know, I remember when I started my when we were at the first Christmas party for the President, and I remember we came back here and Charlemagne was like, Okay, you know, when you get over there and you make those people mad or whatever you don't you know, agree with them, is going to get tricky. You know. The one thing I will say, you're right. The second part I will say is that getting in there and learning the different departments and how the government works and how the government's broken. You know, we did go to the Vice President's house for the fiftieth anniversary of Hip Hop, but then we set up a meeting with cms and hhs who regulate and oversee all the health care in our country. And to see like there's this thing that's available, this healthcare, access to healthcare, free healthcare in our country. And these people have access to the people who are responsible for getting the word out, but there's certain things they can or cannot do in educating people in partnership with us. It has been a really tricky thing. So we're trying to figure out how to truly partner with them. And I've said to the Vice President's team, this is my number one priority right now because I do understand the power of my platform. If I can use it to promote blue Face and Krashan all day, I could also use it to promote getting people healthy, especially people who look like us. So, you know, there's a lot of yellow tape, but I'm confident that, you know, the folks over at the White House are going to figure out how to cut through that so we can get to the people.
Speaker 5: How come people don't know healthcare is free because you always hear about it. You know, people just want an affordable health health care plan that everybody always says.
Speaker 4: They want it affordable. But how come people don't know it's actually free.
Speaker 3: Well, it's up to the government to put that message out there. And how is the government advertising that health insurance is free and they're really not. That's really what the what the problem is. You know, you have to let the people know what's going on for the people to know that it's there. You know that you have the option to.
Speaker 1: Do so well. And another thing too, like one of the things we said to them on the call with CMS is, you know, on the same day that Cardi b has told me she's going to jump in the campaign and support it and do this for free, just to use her platform to educate people, especially that New York is right around the corner to being one of the states that you are helping to make sure the people of New York can get signed up. I said, it is the same day she just put the administration on blast for defunding education and funding a war. And so you all can't get to the but you can't pay the people that we have relationships within the culture to push your program. But we're partnering with people to help them push an initiative that is your thing. So how is it that you can't figure it out? And I keep trying to explain to these people that you have to listen to us and That's the one criticism that I have of this administration I really believe in specifically, it has to have to land this plane at Kamala's front door because her team has failed to take an opportunity to connect with culture drivers, culture disruptors, to be creative and how we reach the people. If the breakfast club, Hollywood on log shade rooms, ball alers, neighborhood talk about all those platforms are the vein of what everybody's helling out online. How do you not make it a priority before election day or the election process to tap into us. The other thing, I'll say, the DNC and d Triple C. You have the reason what one point three billion dollars in this administration's campaign. So you need to tell me that in every state around the country where the lack of access to medicaid or healthcare or voter whatever voter, the ability to protect the vote is at a top priority. You're spending less than one percent of advertising with black owned media. That's crazy, that's insane. But when you show up, you know when they say we did it, Joe, it's the black vote. The Simone Sanders and the Kamala Harris who put their faces out there to drive us to the pole or to drive us to the election of the ballot box. But then after that, then what nothing matters? You know. So when you wonder why people are excited about Trump, it's because he's out there being disruptive for his interest, and I feel like they need to be a little bit more creative and disruptive in ours.
Speaker 4: Is shoved it for his interest, is shoved off for his people.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know, we appreciate you guys for joining us. Tell them how they can get in touch with you and you know, support your campaign, both of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can go to Hollywood Unlocked, dot com, slash Healthcare, or just call straight into a hands at one eight eight eight nine eight seven in three seven one nine, and I believe twelve hours a day, Monday through Friday, you can get help navigate through this process.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, it's Jason Lee, It's Matt Herman.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning, thank you.
Speaker 1: Wake that ass up Earth in the morning. The Breakfast Club