Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our day Break anchors all around the world. Straight ahead on the program, some key economic points for investors. I'm Tom Busby in New York. I'll have that story.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carolyn London, where we're looking ahead to a quadrupled bill of Central Bank decisions across Europe as policymakers trying to push back on the idea that right bugs are coming.
Speaker 3: I'm deg Prisner looking at China downshifting to a slower growth path.
Speaker 4: I'm Keilly Lines in Washington, where Congress is getting ready to wrap up their work twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. The business news you need to wrap up your week, Available on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business Appen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby. We begin today's program with a big week for the economy. Not only will we get the Federal reserves fine I know, decision of the year on interest rates, We'll also get two key reports on inflation to help us break it all down. We're pleased to welcome Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee and Bloomberg Intelligence Cheap US Rates strategist Ira Jersey. Now, let's start with those key data points coming on inflation, with November's Consumer price Index on Tuesday, the producer price Index on Wednesday, Ira, what are you expecting to see?
Speaker 6: We are expecting a reasonably high core print actually, and remember core inflation in CPI has been coming down pretty dramatically, but it looks like it might be in the process of stabilizing just a little bit under four percent, which is obviously not a good sign for the Fed Reserve and the idea that the feder Reserve is going to start cutting interest rates. And so I think that the CPI report is probably going to be the most meaningful report next week, at least for how the FED reacts to the current inflationary environm.
Speaker 1: And this comes before the Fed.
Speaker 7: Michael, this is the first day of the FED meeting, it's Tuesday. FED decision is on Wednesday, so it is new information for them that they will incorporate into their decision making. If the core doesn't move, it probably doesn't mean anything for this decision because the Fed is basically signaled they're going to stay on hold. The issue is do we see something in the composition of the CPI that would suggest one way or another that it will again start falling, or that it's going to stay where it is or even go up. One of the things that we have been watching is of course housing and housing costs, and they FED has expected housing as a component of CPI to fall more than it has and to slow more than it has. So if it doesn't move in this month, then we might get FED official starting to worry that if housing is not falling, inflation is going to stall out. So that's something to watch in the CPI.
Speaker 1: And there is no sign of home prices declining anywhere pretty.
Speaker 7: Much well we had home I mean, of course, rental prices are what make up the CPI housing numbers, and they were going down. They have started to go back up again. They get into the CPI with a big lag, sometimes as much as a year, and so we don't know where we are in that lag process. We could see housing continue to fall for another couple of months before higher rates, higher rental rates start pushing it up again. So that's the open question for the FED is they're they're expecting this drop in housing and it hasn't happened yet. And housing is about thirty percent of the CPI, so it makes a big difference.
Speaker 1: IIRA, where do you see at housing falling in and what other aspects of the CPI are going to be important to the Fed on Tuesday?
Speaker 6: Yes, So what's interesting is we were just looking at this past week with Eric Adelberg, who's our mortgage strategist, and it is that twelve month lag between house prices and rental prices and UH and the owner's equivalent rent component of CPI is about that right number. And you know, you've certainly seen, you know, a little bit of a moderation in things like rents and and obviously that that is one of the key components. But what I've been focused on in most of these reports and CPI in particular, but also the not as much retail sales but in the overall consumer spending report is what's going on in the services market, right, So, so there's been a big disconnect in CPI between food and energy prices and then core goods what we call core core goods, so that's goods excluding energy, and then in core services so again it services excluding energy services. And when when you look at that service inflation continues to run at a pretty decent clip. It's really goods prices that have moderated quite a lot, with things like shipping costs coming back into you know, historical pre pandemic kind of ranges and also just I think just a somewhat slowing of demand for goods, but service prices still remain reasonably high. So so I'm going to be focused on that stickier part of the CPI report and on on inflation on core services, even core services x housing which some people call the supercore, So because that has been sticky, right, and if that continues to run over three percent, then it's it's going to be more and more difficult for inflation to start coming down. In fact, you know, we've had anamog on the Bloomberg Economics team has called this like you know, the last the last mile, right, So getting this last like one hundred basis points one hundred and fifty basis points lower in inflation is going to be much more difficult than the first, say five percent was.
Speaker 1: And what do you see the next day in the PPI coming out? And I know, energy very volatile this last week that it wouldn't factor into the November numbers. But how does that play in?
Speaker 6: Yeah, PPI is likely to be a bit lower than CPI because remember PPI doesn't take into as much, you know, the domestic services costs, right, So so and CPI PPI final demand you know, certainly has been slowing, but you haven't seen that necessarily correlate with consumer prices quite as much, you know, you know, importantly, And I just want to go back to CPI just for half a second, because I think the market pricing of CPI right now is really interesting because we've actually come off where you know, for for the next ten years, the market's only expecting two point two percent inflation CPI inflation over the next decade. So the so for the FED, the market pricing certainly is not a concern. Of course, the market did a bad job in predicting the big run up in twenty twenty two inflation. It was the market was very late to that party. But nonetheless, people aren't going in and buying a ton of inflation hedges right now that you know, most of the most market participants seem to be pretty sanguine on the inflation environment, and in both CPI and PPI this week, if they come in kind of at or slightly below expectations, it is certainly going to be very good for the treasury market and you're going to see probably a pretty good rally in treasuries.
Speaker 1: Wow, now we have a CPI PPI and we moved to the FOMC also coming ahead this week. We did a lot of acronyms. Thank you for setting that up. Two meetings in a row, keeping the benchmark lending rate unchanged. What are you expecting the central bank policy makers to do? Why don't we start with Michael Well?
Speaker 7: I think the key thing that they're going to do is they put out their new economic forecasts, which lead to their new rate forecasts. And what the market's really going to want on the first thing the market's going to want to know after whether they moved or not, and they're not expected to move, is what does the dot plot say about twenty twenty four? Right now, we got five rate moves priced in by the futures market and about that in the swaps market. And the Fed had said in September that we'd see a rate cut or two next year, So there's a big differference between what the FED had been seeing and what the market now sees. So does the FED adopt the market view that they'll be cutting rates a lot next year, or do they stick with the idea that they're not going to cut rates a whole lot. That plot shows where the Fed thanks rates will be at the end of the year, so it won't give a clue about the timing unless there were multiple rate cuts in there, then people would start to try to figure out when they would do those to get the most banged out of the buck. We'll also see to pick up what Iira was saying, we'll see their new forecasts for inflation, and we'll see whether they think inflation is going to be coming down or remain sticky.
Speaker 5: Iira.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The SEP I agree, is probably going to be the most interesting thing in fact, the treasury market. Again to point you to a piece that we did just this past week about when the market moves during FED days, and it really moves the most when you get the summary of economic projections and the dreaded dot blot. So so if the dots move significantly both for the twenty twenty four dot and also potentially the longer run dot if either of those medians move meaningfully from where they were during the September Summary of Economic Projection. You know, I think we can reprice a lot of a lot of the rates markets repriced for cuts and or hikes. You know, I continue to be of the belief that the Fed Reserve is going to probably start cutting later than what the market's priced. So the market will likely continue to price for cuts sometime within the next say at the third meeting out from wherever we are, until they actually start cutting, even if those cuts are not materialized. So that creates an opportunity for investors to kind of fade that type of activity. Now that doesn't mean necessarily that you know, long term yields necessarily need to sell off and you wind up seeing ten year yields at five percent again or anything like that. But it does mean that the shape of a cur could shift a little bit where some of the recent of what we call bull steepening, so two year yields going down faster than ten year yields, some of that might reverse a little bit, especially if we're right and the Federal Reserve kind of takes some of the some of these cuts that are being priced off the table, and J Powell could do that well.
Speaker 1: Our thanks to Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee and Bloomberg Intelligence Chief US rate strategist Ira Jersey. Coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, the Fed not the only one making an interest rate decision. Up next, we'll take you to Europe to preview two key central bank decisions. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program a look at the health of the Chinese economy. But first we just previewed the upcoming Federal Reserve decision. It's also a big week ahead for central banks in Europe, with both the Bank of England and the European Central Bank meeting on Thursday. Market bets on raid cuts by policymakers in London and Frankfurt have been ramping up, but there's more data coming in that could temper that enthusiasm for more. Let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak. Europe Banker Stephen Carroll.
Speaker 2: Tom We're set for a quadruple bill of central bank meetings on Thursday in Europe. Monetary policy decisions expected in the UK, the euro Area, Switzerland and Norway now, although no interest rate changes are expected, given the ramping up of market bets over when the first cuts will come and how much central banks will cut by in twenty twenty four, every word will be parsed for signs of whether policymakers will be taking some festive cheer from the recent data. In the euro Area, the headline inflation rate has slowed faster than expected, to two point four percent in November. I've been looking ahead to the ECB Bank of England decisions with our chief europe economist, Jamie Rush. I started by asking him if, given that's lowing inflation in the euro Area, the ECB can consider it's race hiking mission a success.
Speaker 8: Well, I think the answer is kind of yes and no. So if you look at kind of broad strokes, then yeah, the ECB's basically done its job. So underlying inflation has been falling back for pretty much the last six months. The economy is pretty week. There's wage growth pretty weak as well, so I mean, what more is there to do. They've raised rates substantially, is having an effect. But I think when you look at the dig into the detail we are going to see over the next few months that it's quite a bumpy trajectory for inflation. As energy support measures are withdrawn and as base effects kind of have an impact on the December readings, we're going to see actually inflation is probably going to go back up to about three point two percent next month.
Speaker 2: And within of course the twenty countries in the Euro Area as well, are there ones that we could worry about that will drive part of that potential optic And if it's going to come back to a slightly higher level, well, I.
Speaker 8: Think we're immediately going to see that inflation is going to jump to four percent in Germany and in Spain we will see a similar size increase as well, so heading towards four and a half percent over the coming months. And again it's to do that energy withdrawal stuff. And Germany hasn't even said its budget for next year. That creates another risk that they have to kind of pull the rug under energy support measures even more, and that's going to push up inflation as energy bills go up so there is this kind of very near term risk around the path for inflation, and that could actually mean that the ECB is a little bit more cautious than people are expecting.
Speaker 2: What about the impact of the rate ikes on the economic performance of these countries. I've had data in the past few days, particularly looking at Germany's manufacturing sector in Dostri, of production weaker than expected, factory orders weaker than expected as well. How much of the pain has already been inflicted on these economies or is there more to come?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, industrial production in Germany is exceptionally weak and it is going to drag on the economy, maybe take about zero point four percent off the level of GDP in the fourth quarter, So that's quite a lot. But I think when you look at what the models tell us the impact of montmed policy should be, it tells us that the hiking cycle should take about four percent off the level of GDP, and we haven't seen that yet, so I think we're probably somewhere around about halfway through the transmission of that. And actually the real mystery is why the economy is held up so well, not why it's so weak. So you know, that's actually one of the things that we're puzzling over as economists is why interest rates haven't tanked the economy in the way you'd expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course that's part of the dilemma facing central bankers as well. The markets are getting very excited already about interest rate cuts, particularly from the CB. How far away do you see them as being.
Speaker 8: Well, I think I think market pricing is probably a little bit overdone. The idea that you would raise interest rates as much as central banks have done and then immediately start cutting and we have to it just seems it seems a bit implausible to me, And I think it was described as fiction by one of the the ECB. Science fiction in fact, dismal science fiction perhaps, So yeah, it's kind of think I think, given that what the motives for the hikes, the hikes were to guard against persistent inflation, we haven't yet seen that that is completely under control. I'd be really surprised if the ECB jumps the gun.
Speaker 2: So how in your timing wise, when do you see the first rate card happening?
Speaker 8: So, I think I think March. I mean, we're going to finish our Christmas dinners and it's going to be March. So I think that's probably too soon. Our forecast is for the first cut in June. There's plenty of like ground ground lane before then. You know, there's a risk that if the economy turns out weaker than expected or inflation takes another dive down, then that could come a little bit sooner than June.
Speaker 2: Should expect that data dependency mantra to stay. Let's think about the Bank of England then, how different is the situation facing Andrew Bailey and colleagues in London versus that was in Frankfurst.
Speaker 8: I think it's completely different as has been As was kind of pretty clear from the outset here, the Eurozone didn't have the wages problem that the UK has. I mean, wages were growing at seven eight percent in the UK. That just has not been a feature of the Eurozone labor market that's created this huge influence on the kind of second round effects on inflation in the UK. So bank has a bigger problem. They've had to hype rates by a bit more they felt compelled to, and therefore they're going to have to cut a little bit later as well. And that's I think that's an inevitability.
Speaker 2: So what about the inflation trajectory for the UK is so the risk of the same bumpy trajectory from here when we think about where things are looking into next.
Speaker 8: Year, Yeah, I mean I think it's we're going to see bumps along the way. But again the general picture I think is downward. We have some things which we know are pushing down, like and the kind of withdraw the energy price shock is obviously passing through the economy. Goods inflation that's coming down as well, so you know, things are kind of moving the right direction. I mean, the big question is what happens to the services because of this wages problem, And we know that in the services sector wages is a huge part of the costs and so that is probably what the banking is going to be focusing on to be as a measure of whether it's done its job and whether rates can come down.
Speaker 2: Looking at the trajectory for wages though as well, does that mean that we will see more real terms wage increases as inflation slows, but perhaps the momentum remains behind and wage growth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, as if prices starts to fall then then yeah, we will start to see that real incomes are recovering I mean, prices haven't really changed a huge amount for the past six months anything, but when the actual energy price shock hits, I mean, we've all started, we've all paid. The level of prices is up. That hasn't changed. The higher level of prices is going to be something that stays with us. The inflation rate will come down a bit, but that's not going to provide a huge amount of support to spending. So obviously I think it's it's unlikely that as inflation heads down, we're going to get a huge revival of consumption, especially with uncertainty how the outlook about as it is.
Speaker 2: That was our chief europe economist, Jamie Rush. I've as been getting a market's perspective on this from Daniel Cassali, who's an investment strategist at Evelyn Partners. We talked about how markets are processing the expectations of rate cuts. When I started by asking him when he expects to see the ECB move.
Speaker 9: It's likely to happen probably in the first half of next year, or maybe possibly later. Is really a question or catamouse here between who cuts first, is at the US or is it the ECB. I think the main message here is the fact that interest rates have certainly peked and likely to come down, and that probably means that the risk of an economic hard landing where central banks race rates too aggressively is probably significantly reduced, and that the likelihood is now that we may now have a soft economic landing, which means probably less likelihood of a recession.
Speaker 2: So how does that look then for your outlook for investment opportunities If the soft landing narrative is taking holds, how do you think you're going to see opportunities in the first half of next year.
Speaker 9: Well, I think if we do have this soft landing, which means growth holds up, and also the fact that you might have lower inflation along with the possibility of interest rate cuts, it probably means we might get some of that rotation coming out of the AI theme into other areas of the market, in other words, a broadening out of the market, and that could include things like small cat and unloved areas such as energy. It still means that the overall equity market would still likely increase because it'll start surpricing less risk of an economic hard landing. So it does tell us that if we do have a soft economic landing, it's probably going to be constructive stocks.
Speaker 2: So that was Daniel Cassali Investment Stratus that Evelyn Partner is speaking to me on Bloomberg Radio. And of course we will have full coverage of all of these Central Bank decisions this week. I'm Stephen Caroll in London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Streets.
Speaker 1: Tom Hard thanks to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe Banker Stephen Carroll, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we take you to Asia to see how the Chinese economy is doing in this post COVID world. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Busby in New York with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. The Chinese economy struggling this year in its post COVID recovery. For months, the optimists have been hoping for signs of a turning point. Could there be a glimmer of improvement in the week ahead. Bloomberg Daybreak Asia co host Doug Krisner has a preview.
Speaker 3: Tom. It's been tough to make the case that the worst is over for the Chinese economy. Just last week, Moody's cut its outlook for Chinese sovereign bonds to negative.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: The firm pointed to risk like the use of debt to support local governments, as well as a spiraling downturn in the property market. In the coming week, Beijing will be reporting monthly economic activity for the month of November, so we'll have industrial production and retail sales among the data points. Both of those figures are expected to rise from October levels. What are these readings really telling us, Well, let's ask Eric Ju. He is Bloomberg's economist covering China and Hong Kong. Eric joins us from our studios in Hong Kong. Eric, thanks for being with us. Obviously, the economy is facing many problems right now, but I'm wondering if all of this fits under the broad heading of weak sentiment. Is that the biggest problem right now affecting China?
Speaker 10: I think yeah, I think you know. In terms of data, I can start with you next week's activity data. I think the headline number will look quite rosy. It's accelerating from October, but we probably we don't need to read too much into those year and year figures. But remember we have a very depressed level last year when China was struggling, you know, at initie of COVID reopening. So I think it's more What would be more interesting will be watched for is the months and months figures, probably for next week's reading.
Speaker 3: So you're talking about retail sales here or industrial production or both.
Speaker 10: I think both will be accelerating on year and year numbers, but that won't tell you much about the underlying so weak momentum. If you look at PMI data, if we look at those high frequency numbers we are tracking, actually we will see production and both consumption still looks quite weak in November, even considering we have some working day boost compared to the holiday in October. So yeah, so you might see quite strong headline year on year figures, but that don't tell you in the underlying truth.
Speaker 3: We'll also get data on fixed asset investment, and we know the story with direct or foreign direct investment. It's down sharply, and that's an area that President She attempted to address during the recent APEX summit. How difficult will it be to get foreign capital to flow back into China.
Speaker 10: I think it's a big ask and I think the government still needs I think the president she mentioned in his US trip that the government will think about will implement more heart warming, right, so called heart warming measures to attract investors back to China. But I think it's a it's a couple of reasons why it's it's quite difficult right now. So some obvious challenges, you know, the jeopity risk rising. So I think for some foreign business it's not investing in China. It's not only not purely you know, business or e comedy decision, it's sometimes also a political decision. Right. We hear some business that they are forced out of at least partially, you know, out of China. It's not only it's not entirely a business decision. But so I think on that front, China probably it's it's China cannot do much about that because it's not purely you know, something China can control. But at the same time, we think what China can can do, what China can boost those confidence, is they try to promote growth in China. Right have to you know, lift the overall sentiment the including both market and also also business sentiment overall, and if the China can bring those growth a healthy and more sustainable long term growth back, I think the business would still see opportunity in China.
Speaker 3: We'll also get the jobless figure. And this is interesting because for several months now Beijing has not been reporting youth unemployment and I believe the last time that we had a reading it was well above twenty percent. Obviously, that's a major issue and I think for many in the government deeply concerning is there any way that the government can address this problem? Are they doing something about it?
Speaker 10: Yeah? I think right now. I heard a story that you know, some some local governments they are they're tasked with creating some maybe temporary job tunited for for those young people fresh graduates. They can you know, get some some some jobs in local level, very local level, you know, those townships, those village of government, and it's not well paid, but still that give them some opportunity at least to delay those unemployment, right, So, trying to give some more experience. But I think that's such something the government trying to stabilize in the near term, but I think in the longer term it's that they have to think hard about what would be opportunities for those young people.
Speaker 3: So when you look at the trade story, I'm wondering the extent to which the slowdown that's happening globally and in many economies, whether you're talking about developed economies let's say Europe, the United States, to a lesser extent, Australia, whether the weakness there that's manifesting is is contributing to a significant drag in the export space for China, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I think this year it's harder for the expert in China. I think that the external demand has been quite weak, and given our expectation that globe economy will further slow down next year, I don't think we're going to see a very quick pickup in trade in exports in the new term. Of course, the headline numbers might get better. That's again that's some basic facts due to a low levels last year. But I think if you look at amongts and amounts, look at sequential momentum, we haven't seen a very strong signal that those shipping orders foreign demand are picking up quickly.
Speaker 3: When you look at the property sector, it counts for about twenty percent of GDP. I don't know whether that figure will be consistent as we move into the new year. But do you see anything that can be done to turn around the property market that the government could still do that it hasn't done already.
Speaker 10: First of all, I don't think it's a government's talcke that to turn around the property I think that's that's initiated by the government. They're trying to reduce the reliance of the economy and property sector. I think at the height it's like one court of the e colony. It's already down to like twenty percent this year, and the probably will continue to be reduced. I think that's a long term or median term goal of the government that they try to make economy rely less on property and also reducing the financial risk related to property bubbles. But the thing is you rely less on property and what other sectors you can find out to feel the holes left by property.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm confused because if the PBOC is lowering interest rates largely to help lower mortgage rates, isn't there some acknowledgment that the property market are Recovery in the property market is necessary as a way of improving sentiment and then helping to support growth.
Speaker 10: No, I don't think the market rates is helping much. I think that the fundamental problem in the property market that people are losing confidence, that they don't think the market in a booming at all. So in the longer term, in mediate term, they're expecting more correction in the market, pricess will further jobs. So no one is willing to enter market right now, even if there's a real demand, you know, for for property. So I think, you know, lower mortgage rates, you know, relaxing the purchase it's not going to It's going to help on the margin, but probably won't help much. It's not because people people are not buying because the costs are too high. People are not buying just then they no longer you know, have confidence in the market.
Speaker 3: So before I let you go, I want to ask you about the new year twenty twenty four. Is it going to be a repeat of what we have seen in twenty three so far?
Speaker 10: I would say we haven't seen a big game changer for next year, So our baseline would be like trying to continue to model through so with some public increase, the public investment stimulus, trying to offset the drag from mitigate the drag from property slam. So we haven't seen a big confidence lifter so far. But the way you're thinking is the government can come up with, you know, more substantial, you know, measures to trying to revive those confidence and a sentiment that would be a helpful lot.
Speaker 3: Eric will leave it there. Thank you so much for being with us in helping us set up the week ahead for the Chinese economy. Eric Hu is a Bloomberg economist covering at China and Hong Kong. Joining us from our studios in Hong Kong. I'm Doug Prisner. You can join Brian Curtis and myself weekdays here for Bloomberg day Break Asia, beginning at seven am in Hong Kong, six pm on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Tom all right, thanks to Bloomberg day Break Asia co host Doug Crisner, and coming up here on Bloomberg day Break Weekend. It's the last week of work for Congress before the holiday break. Can that body get anything accomplished by year's end? I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead, the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York still a few weeks left in the year, but not for Congress. With just one final week of work before the holiday break, can lawmakers get anything done this week?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: For more, let's head to our Bloomberg ninety nine one news room in Washington and Bloomberg Sound On co host Kaylee Lines Yeah.
Speaker 4: Tom. The end of the working year is coming quickly for Congress, as both the House and the Senate will go home for the holidays lead this coming week, and it's not really clear whether they'll be able to accomplish much with their last few days in Washington of twenty twenty three. Joining us now with more is Megan Scully, who helps lead Bloomberg's congressional coverage. So, Megan, they have a lot left on their to do list, supplemental funding, a border security deal that perhaps needs to go with that in order for Ukraine and Israeli to get through, you have to try to get maybe some appropriations matters buttoned up so you don't have a shutdown. Does any of that have a material chance of being accomplished before they go home for their holiday break.
Speaker 11: I think the appropriations matters are effectively shelved until January. The focus right now is on Ukraine and the border security package that they're trying to meld together, but even that seems unlikely of getting through both chambers before they leave for the congressional recess. One of one leading House Republican at the end of the week said he thought the chances were near zero that that would actually get done well.
Speaker 4: So it becomes a question of whether it can get done at all. If it doesn't happen in twenty twenty three, how much harder or easier will it be to get done in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 11: I think the key to all of this is Speaker Mike Johnson. There's been so much talk about Senate Democrats and Republicans negotiating a deal on border security, which is not related to Ukraine at all, but would unlock the Ukraine funding. Essentially, we get a deal on the border, then we can move on Ukraine and one big package in the House, though it is much trickier. You have ultra conservatives, the hardliners who throughout former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who oppose Ukraine aid, and they've said they could maybe go along with it, or at least turn a blind eye to it if they passed the border first, and if the border, if they see a significant reduction in border crossings, that means that would take time, and that would mean Ukraine Aid would pass much later. There's plenty of support in the House for getting Ukraine Aid over the finish line. But does Speaker Johnson want to risk his job by infuriating his right flank in order to do so well?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 4: I feel like is always the question we've asked, especially when he passed a continuing resolution early on in his speakership with Democratic support, which is basically the exact same thing that Kevin McCarthy got outsted because of Also interesting that now it seems we're back to this idea when we think about appropriations of the debt sealing deal from what six months ago actually being the top line numbers we're going to go with. Speaker Johnson sent out a Dear Colleague leutter this past week that said, it's the off the land the Fiscal Responsibility Act. So even if this Ukraine and border stuff is getting harder, does that actually mean the actual budget might be easier Because we're going to stick with the top line numbers we already agreed to.
Speaker 11: We're still early yet so we have six weeks to go. You know, it's a two step shut down, right. We have the January nineteenth for many of the federal agencies, but the Defense Department, which is half of all federal discretionary spending, doesn't actually shut down until February. Second, I think that there's a lot of time for things to go right or looking at this Congress, go wrong in the next six weeks, and the devil's going to be in the details in terms of coming to an agreement, even if they can agree to adhere to those top line levels, and it seems as though even the hard right is willing to go along with that. Right now, it's a matter of where that money actually goes, programmed by program and that's where we could see the fight really start to percolate in January.
Speaker 4: All right, Megan Scully, who ups lead Bloomberg's congressional coverage. Not sure we are feeling much more optimistic after this conversation that stuff's going to get done before the year is over. But twenty twenty four it's always somewhat of a new start. Thank you so much, and Tom, Happy almost new year.
Speaker 1: I guess, thank you, Kaylee. That was Bloomberg's Sound On co host Kaylee Lines, reporting from our Bloomberg ninety nine to one newsroom in Washington. And you can hear sound on weekdays one to three pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg Radio. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on the market's overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Buzzby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.