Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and that's when you really miss podcast. This is sectionals. That's not the title of the episode, but this is sectionals. We are at season three, episode eight, hold on to sixteen.
Speaker 2: Hello Kevin, Hello Jenna. We have been anticipating this episode, not necessarily because of the storylines, but I think selfishly because we get some incredible performances this episode.
Speaker 1: I'm Shook and I'm Shook.
Speaker 2: Jenna basically has an entire songes. I can't wait to talk about that because this really was sitting there with my jaw on the floor and this was just a really good one. There was a lot happening in terms of storyline. I think with all the competition episodes, it's a bit of a mess. You know, everything is intertwined because looming over all of it is the competition.
Speaker 1: But exactly let's get to sectionals.
Speaker 2: We it feels almost like this is only episode eight of the season, right, but it feels like it's a halfway point in terms of we're sort of wrapping up some storylines where it's like a clean finish, a clean break and setting up a clean slate for whatever comes after this correct, which feels nice.
Speaker 1: Feel right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I felt like last episode was the lead up, tie up of all the elections to get to sectionals, and now we're wrapping up sectionals to then get to regionals. So okay, let's dive in. Let's dive in. Let's get our our little news so we can get into these performances. What was happening in the news.
Speaker 2: We found Love is still number one. Twilight Saga Breaking Down Part one is still number one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: A bunch of us went to as we did every single year, Trevor Projects Trevor Live Gala in La at the Palladium. Amber, Chris, Darren, Diana, Me, Harry Damien, and Jama and Jane all went. Darren performed, Amber performed, Harry, Mark Damien and myself presented. It was a great, great, great time. Those events were always so special. Also, if you're looking to do something good, look up Trevor Project and see if you can donate, where you can donate, how to donate and get involved because they're an absolutely incredible organization and vital to helping and saving so many lives of LGBT family members. You know, they're They're a great organization.
Speaker 1: For many, many years.
Speaker 2: So this episode directed by Brad Beeker because it's a competition all these yes, this is now his thing. Ross Maxwell wrote this episode. Well, he's on the script right right, right, of course. Now now my neighbor and I see him at Starbucks.
Speaker 1: I saw him at the picket lines when he was Glee day. That's right, Okay, the song is in this episode. Let's talk about it. So we have red solo Cup and will forever be ingrained in my memory. H survivor, I will survive ABC control man in the mirror, and we are young. I have chills just thinking about all these numbers. I don't even know what I was thinking going into this, like, oh, this is this is good, right, this is good. No, this is excellent.
Speaker 2: This is music excellence for Glee. Like a lot of these, it's weird, when you know, I feel like a lot of the time there's one, maybe two songs that are really ingrained in us, that we remember or that we know like made some sort of a impact impact. This one has so.
Speaker 1: Many Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I'm a you know me, I'm a sucker for a long stage performance. You know, I love the audition episodes, and so the fact that we get five numbers on that competition stage, Oh yeah, it's my dream. Give it to me, give it, and we get another one in the auditorium. So there are six performances in this episode alone on a stage.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, there's some fun facts for this episode, Kevin. Yes, this is one of three episodes submitted for the twenty twelve Emmys, the other two being Asian f and Yes. No Emmy nominations that year. We're Outstanding Guest Actress for DOT, Outstanding Maker Up for a Single Camera Series, the Outstanding Cinematography for a Single Camera Series. Wow, Go Crue. And this title refers to Sam's favorite lyric in John Millencopt's song Jack and Diane, which she said to Quinn hold on to sixteen as long as you can, which which is in a very very good scene between Adina and Diana. Ooh chilling. What else? What else? So fitting with this theme, this episode's theme of aging maturity New Direction setlist for sectionals chronologically covers a lifespan ABC's Childhood, Controls, Young Adulthood, and Man in the Mirror's Adulthood.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by the Jackson Family, Just Jackson five, Janet Jackson to Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Hello, and filming began on November tewod following completion of the seventh episode the previous Day, which feels appropriate and right finish on November twenty first. The episode was shot in parallel with the ninth episode, Extraordinary Merry Christmas, which brings back lots of memories, good and mad, which began filming on November tenth. So this is when it started to get pretty crazy. There's a lot of fun facts, Kevin, tell me something there are.
Speaker 2: This is the only competition set list to have more than one song by the same group artists and musical the Jacksons. However, it can be argued that it isn't since Janet Jackson wasn't an original member of the group, but was a later member. It's always in the same family I account. This episode also contains the most songs Quinn has sung in a single episode, four Oh She. On iTunes for this episode, the summary included Harry as the name of Mike's portrayer, Harry Shum Junior instead of Mike.
Speaker 1: Well, that seems appropriate too.
Speaker 2: The competition of this episode is the only one in which Rachel doesn't participate during her high school career, which was weird. That felt very strange, very strange. Yep, Rory is the only new Direction member that doesn't sing in this episode, and it's only yeah, he's good. This is the second time that Rachel doesn't sing in the set list since twenty ten sectionals. This is my favorite part. Kurt tells Sebastian that he doesn't like him or his CW hair pre grant becoming the flash on CW for ten years basically, and the ninth of the episode aired, many topics related to the show appeared as trending topics on Twitter. At one point, Dante, the writer ar executive producer tweeted six trending topics. Well, it was six trending topics exclamation point question mark, indicating that six of the nine available slots were filled by Glee related topics. Actually, and then he corrected to eight because hashtag white chocolate was also. As soon as Cord stepped on, he started trending Oliver turon well as he and Sue does not appear in this episode. Those are our fun facts. There's a lot that was.
Speaker 1: A lot, Yeah, Cord comes back. Cord comes back. But let's before we talk about that, Let's give me what is the what is this episode?
Speaker 2: In an attempt to recruit a few more members, Finn tracks down former teammates Sam Evans and convinces him to come back to the Glee Club. Tina comes to the defense of Mike and encourages him to pursue his dream, while McKinley prepares to host the big sectionalst performance.
Speaker 1: Wow wow wow Okay, okay. So, so Finn and Rachel are going to travel to Kentucky, which random, but they find Sam and they think he's performing, but he's working at a short club to support him with him and his family.
Speaker 2: I'd see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. He comes back to McKinley, and Sam is convinced he's gonna win Mercedes back now that he's home with the Glee Club, staying with Rachel and Finn. And and now we got little quarteryback, Thank goodness, because we needed it. We lost all of our Trouble Tones, you know, our members to the Trouble Tones. We lost Rachel. So Cord comes to the rescue. There's a lot of Quinn.
Speaker 2: In this episode, and it's good Quinn.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I like this.
Speaker 2: Something is happening. Finally we're getting movement on this we geting stagnant storyline.
Speaker 1: Quinn is still off her rocker at the beginning of this episode. She has decided she's going now that she has leverage over Puck over Shelby, She's going to get Shelby fired, which then Trouble Tones won't perform. We're gonna win sectionals by default, which is not what we want. But really she wants to you tell Figgins about Shelby and Puff to get Beth back, and Rachel sees her, yeah, and she Quentin reveals that she's going to tell tell Figgins about this. She tells her plan, which I don't know why she tells her the plan.
Speaker 2: But she tells her that's what all villains do.
Speaker 1: They reveal their deepest, darkest secrets, just in a cool moment. Okay, Rachel's worried. Now, she's concerned because Rachel is a fierce competitor, and so she decides that she's gonna she's gonna keep an eye on Quit and so at sectionals. When we're at Sectionals, Ran, are you know costumes were getting ready to perform, Rachel sees her leave the auditorium and she knows what she's about to go do. Rachel stops her in the hallway for this wonderful scene and tells her that she is going to She's like, I know what you're gonna do. At least wait until the trouble to him to performed and tell Shelby before you do it?
Speaker 2: Doesn't this storyline obviously? I think it all all these storylines fit within the title of it with the title of the episode is trying to, I think imply, is that all these people are having to make these adult decisions dealing with things that are sort of above their pay grade, if you will, where they're not dealing with just high school issues. You're dealing with children and yes, relationships and livelihoods. And in addition to samsul storyline and Rachel's actually, even though she, like you know, generally operates from a place of selfishness and narcissism, I think her coming to several different versions of like what she wants Quinn to do or not do, seems like a more mature and fully formed person as you know, since she wouldn't have done that last season, right, And so I enjoyed seeing that because because she wasn't worrying about what she was doing on stage, they had her do all this stuff behind the scenes, so that that was really fun and interesting.
Speaker 1: No, totally. It was redeeming for Rachel to after doing the ballot stuffing the ballots and then her kind of turning back around and saying like, I've done this before and it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's also like, let's let's just have the best team win, Like, let's level the playing field after coming off this thing that I just tried to like, yeah, fix an election.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: So she's trying to redeem herself.
Speaker 1: Yes, So Quinn's going to tell Shelby what she's going to do.
Speaker 2: Thanks to the advice of Rachel. Again, it's like, if you're going to do it, the adult thing to do is let her know you're going to do.
Speaker 1: It, is true. I was like, oh, she's right, because Quinn says, I'm an adult and I can do what I want. Right.
Speaker 2: That's why this all kind of.
Speaker 1: Comes to its full circle. So this really great scene between the two of them. I really enjoyed watching this scene. This was like poigning for the episode. But we don't talk about this a lot ugly, right, Like how how kids are so eager to grow up? Yeah, so quickly. So I thought it was really poignant and really important to point out. And she's like, enjoy your time on this stage because you may never get it a can.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of that too. Throughout this episode. There are a lot of contemplation with Kurt and right and talking about especially with Quinn, about her future and if this is something that she's going to continue to pursue or not. And it's nice that you can see the characters having those conversations and how the Glee Club means different things to each of us or each of the characters. And it was coming off of an episode before that was so sort of disjointed. Having a really strong theme through every single storyline and plotline of this episode was really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really solid. As I also appreciated, like Shelby Adina's performance in this was like so calm and collected as an adult in the way that a mature adult is going to react a teacher, hopefully because the way you hope somebody would react, right, Dang well, I'm just going to go enjoy my last hour. I know what I did is wrong, this is why I did it, and just kind of like very calmly giving Quinn a little bit of a lesson after Adena has already proven that or Shelby has proven that she's learned her lesson. Yeah, I just thought that scene was really well done.
Speaker 2: Shelby is sort of the only adult character besides I would say the trifecta is Shelby, Bert and Carol are all like the only they're the only adult characters that aren't doing crazy things. Obviously, she's hooking up with a student that's crazy, but I guess in terms of like her mannerisms and like how she's acting, how she's portraying that, Yeah, they're very steady. They feel more real. Yeah, the rest of us are all like clowns and doing crazy things the entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, we'll continue to do so that's what.
Speaker 1: Our job was. But this is Yeah, this is a really great episode for Quinn. She finds herself kind of back where she started and finding a little bit of closure and really coming to terms with herself and you know, redeeming herself by asking the Troupletones to come back to the New Directions. Huge win for for Quinn and for all of us, and so it's pretty great. And then also bringing them back to come and seeing the auditorium.
Speaker 2: There's so many storylines. I mean, Finn and Blaine have it out here, they get into it, and at first it was so jarring to me. It's like, what is happening the bag, yeah, and all of like, but they were so good together, and it was also like this weird masculinity battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to word this and not sound crazy, but I feel like a lot of times when Blaine is very different from Kurt, I think it's important to portray obviously the range in which gay people exist. They are not one thing, right, and having Blaine have like sort of this weirdly, I don't like, I've never felt violent in my life towards anyone, and he has this like outburst towards Finn, and Finn being football player, captain of the football team, he's the one who has sort of the you know, I was jealous. I was, and coming off of I don't know, maybe a couple weeks of reflection after outing someone, but it was a really nice I felt like juxtaposition between the two characters and how those type archetypes are normally portrayed in TV shows, and it was just a scene. But it's also been like coming to a head for a while since the season began, and so it was nice to be it was another one of those plot points getting wrapped up or like bursting that bubble, just like with Quinn storyline and now with this Finn and Blaine thing that was unsettled and then Finn's busy this episode, He's very busy. Then Finn goes to when he goes to get Sam with Rachel, I just have questions, how is a sixteen seventeen year old working at a strip club?
Speaker 1: Right? It's Kentucky kivin no offense.
Speaker 2: I mean fair, but like that I don't know about In the scene with the.
Speaker 1: Parents, yeah, I'm so sweet.
Speaker 2: Did you see that movie Finding never Land back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: The thing I remember from that movie is the scene where Johnny Depp's character talks to a young Freddie Hiymore after they've experienced some trauma, and he's like, oh, just like that, you're no longer a child, right, And that's all I thought about in the scene where it's like the parents, like we didn't want you to have to do this and then Sam being like no, I'm just so proud of us, Like what a beautiful minus the homeless jokes. It was really beautiful series of moments in that scene, and I.
Speaker 1: Yes, and once again Sam having to grow up too fast, right, having to become an adult too fast? Yeah, there was a really it's a nice way to reintroduce Sam. Yeah, it's nice way to.
Speaker 2: Such a good guy. No do you so? Do you remember filming Red Solo Cup?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? I remember filming that. I was like, number one, what is this song?
Speaker 2: What is the song?
Speaker 1: We did not know wrote this? None of us? None of Us is a fun, catchy song. I think it was stuck in my head for a while afterwards because it's so ridiculous. It's a red Soila cup and there's a song about it, but there's a song about it for everybody. So yeah, I just remember working with like having Quardy back, it was like so so nice. It's like a real celebrations I have quarters.
Speaker 2: It was. It was very real and it's such like a fitting number for him. It felt like, oh yeah, we're here, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's also like a freeform rock out number to shoot and we didn't know the songs, so we're like winging it and trying to make it work. And you know, it didn't have a ton of foo for all no around it. So we're just like, let's just have a fun time. We do.
Speaker 2: There was enough choreo to do. There was five other numbers coming that had a lot of choreos, so, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, more choreo than we've ever seen No.
Speaker 2: And this and we're we're young. It's just like, okay, let's just have a nice.
Speaker 1: Time, go for it. They're like I could see Zach being like just move yeah, just move around.
Speaker 2: And have a good time.
Speaker 1: And and then we have the band members and we are new directions Sam and the band members.
Speaker 2: I missed when the band members like came in and I looked up and I'm like, why is John Locke with long hair here again? But I loved it, Like there he was dancing with us on stage.
Speaker 1: I can't, I can't even so funny.
Speaker 2: So we talked about this before, but we were at filming the prom episode when we found out Chord is coming back, and then it like spread like wildfire across the gymnasium floor. I don't remember that it wasn't prom We were filming some number in the gymnasium and I mentioned, nope, no, it was there was a stage. We literally have talked about it this season and I've already forgotten, but I remember somebody like a rumor started to spread, just like real high school and like wait, Chords.
Speaker 1: Coming back the world. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was a stage set up at the end, and I don't remember what it was. I don't know, but we were so excited, and I remember we didn't want a text chord because like, if this isn't true, then you don't want to get hopes up right right, And like the last we heard is like does he even want to come back?
Speaker 1: Right? We hadn't spoken to him, no, And.
Speaker 2: So I think there was like a cooling period where both sides got to take a minute to be like we need each other. We were so excited, obviously, I mean, white Chocolate is back, White Chocolate.
Speaker 1: I was giggling with those names, and that just him coming out. It was just it was very funny, very very funny. And then this is where Windy City was born.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, so.
Speaker 1: Windy City is Cords, adorable body rolls, that he does in white Chocolate. He does it in other numbers. He does it, and we are fun, right, we are young, he does it. We are fun. We are fun. He also did it, I think in Man in the Mirror. Maybe he does everywhere. So we call it the Windy City. Yeah, of course, Zach Woly makes all the craziest names. And another thing that's happening is Queen Tina is going to Queen Teina is gonna get Mike's dad to get on board.
Speaker 2: She really goes above and beyond and like it's definitely some questionable tactics.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, Mike, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But ultimately what a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So she's convinced, she is, she is willing, she's willed his father to make it to sexual. So she visits. She has a fight with Mike in the hallway, which I remember shooting with Harry. We hadn't getten Seine in a while, so I remember shooting this being mad at him, and these were really fun. It was just something else to do, like get I was like fast storyline, like something to do, and it was very It resonated with me because growing up so many kids were you know, this is all we wanted was to be in theater, to be on Broadway, all these things. And you know a lot of very kids, like friends of mine, didn't have their parents' support. And my parents didn't even really want me to do this as living because it is so hard. And when Mike's dad says like, do you know how hard this is going to be for you? I mean, my parents had said that to me at times, like do you understand how much harder this is going to be for you than other people? It's hard enough, and you, just as a mother, you're like, I get it now. I don't ever want my kid to struggle or to starve or to you know, you just want them to to be comfortable, but not at the expense of their happiness and their love for whatever. So anyway, this was really very It came from my heart when I was I was just able to like pull this out because it felt very true.
Speaker 2: It was and another one of those storylines of this episode of indicative of the character's growth, your relationship to one another, even how you're acting in the scene towards one another, there's like a level of maturity that wasn't there before. Also, I think it's because you do get sort of a more meaningful storyline totally. Could you like, how was that like when you're going into film that type of scene. Are you immediately like, oh I get this, I've been there, or is it one of those things that you look back on you're like, oh, yeah, that was actually rooted in a real place. But I wasn't necessarily aware of it at the time.
Speaker 1: No, I was fully aware of it at the time. Yeah, I mean it was so helpful to have, totally. It's easy. It's much easier when you have something to work off of like that. Yeah. No, I definitely had that, and it makes it harder because you care so deeply about it and it feels so true and you try to find the place of which teen is coming from versus Genma, and you know that fine line also, but then you know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're the same. Sometimes they overlaps.
Speaker 1: Very true, very true. But yeah, I remember working with bad on this and like just chatting with him about it. He's so wonderful and so great about helping you get to where you need to be and giving you the space to do what you want to do, but also saying, yeah, we got that, so let's try something else. That's always a Bradbeaker, So you know a line and I, yeah, I know. It was just very easy to pull from because obviously I was blatantly aware of this, and and and it worked out. You know, Mike's dad came and he showed up. It made me emotional. It didn't make me much when I watched it back in the day, but this time I was like, Oh, that's really meaningful.
Speaker 2: How was it filming? That's the Tina and Mike's dad Mike Senior scene, because I love that because you're also going in there again anytime Tina's with adults, like you got Figgins in the palm of your hand, you do what these parents are in the on your hand. The only time Tina is sort of not like the queen Bee is in the glee club. Like it's like we have that like running joke about how Tina keeps getting like ship on right outside of the glee club handles her business.
Speaker 1: That's true. She helps Rachel again, like.
Speaker 2: She's the manager. She's everybody's secret manager. You not only got Mike's dad to show up, you also submitted an application on Mike's behalf. I was like, wow, really it's very generous though. It is very genus.
Speaker 1: It is it is I would do that. I would do that. No, working with Kyng was really nice. I mean, obviously we had he had been in prior previous episodes, so always wasn't like brand new. But I was nervous shooting that one because I was driving the scene with him. But I also felt very supportive by him. Obviously, say to hand Er, he was a beautiful job. But you you know, and I want it. I watched this back and I don't know if I don't remember if this was a choice or if this was just Jenna doing Jenna everything Tina did. I think maybe this was Brad Beeker was so hopeful mm hmm. She wasn't angry, she wasn't fighting. She just believed so hard in what she was saying that she was so sure of herself. And so when I went when I was watching that scene last night, I was like, oh my god, Like, I don't think I would have played it like that now, but I like the way she we did it back then because it's just it's truthful to the youth.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. It's it's almost like the naivety of youth coming out because like now you know too much, you know how fragile everything is, and like the blind optimism is like, well, I know it's.
Speaker 1: A lot harder. Yeah, totally like.
Speaker 2: To really make this happen. But yes, it does sound like a Bradbeaker Jenna collaboration, doesn't it. She's so hopeful.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so true. Yes, and so coming in it felt a little it felt a little naive to me for Tina. You know, like if a kid like that said something like that to me now I would have an interesting reaction to it. So I don't know, maybe it feels like it feels like a Brad thing that I think maybe he had said, like, let's play this this way. I think we tried it a few ways, but I think we played it this way throughout the whole thing, even with Mike. She does it or in the earlier so she's not so mad, she's not.
Speaker 2: It works so well too, And it's also refreshing because I feel like a lot of this stuff you got was Tina being like super emotional mm hmm and like a but like intentionally, it wasn't like it was a choice you made. It was written that way or on the day you were pushed to do that, right, Yes, and it's nice to see like other because obviously you're extremely talented and good and have all these other layers and levels to give. So it's nice when you see that and dealing with an adult, dealing with a boyfriend, dealing with a teacher, and see how Tina is a little different each of those things. And yeah, it's so fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Thanks. It was fun to do. It's always fun to do.
Speaker 2: You're so talented.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're so nice. I was like, oh, it's hard to watch yourself back and remember those times. Just watch yourself back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you should be proud of yourself that you were really great in this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh, thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You were not only were you acting sound, you were singing.
Speaker 1: This was fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, just real quick. It's sectionals. Shoe Harriet to have a set list ready and the street continues alive and while Shoe has not prepared and leaving leaving it up to everybody else to figure it out. I'm shocked, like, why are you here, sir? What are you even doing?
Speaker 1: It's like his the epitome of mister Shoe is when he comes in at the end of Fun at the fun number. Yeah, I'm here, We're like where a few bit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's also the glee club members were fully on the glee schedule because we learned things in like two hours and then how to go film it immediately right, and we were like fine, like that's just what we have to do, and you can shoot around it and make us look good. But high school students have a full academic day, they have clubs after school, they have friends, they have things to do, and you want them to pull this out.
Speaker 1: And also come up with that choreography for.
Speaker 2: Three numbers and a night like come on, get out of here. Like we were adults that were hired for a professional job and we were barely managing it. And that was with all the Melodiine in the world.
Speaker 1: I'm dying, I'm dying. That's really funny. That's really funny. Yeah, so we were again once again it's left up to the kids, and yeah, we pull that out, We pull that out.
Speaker 2: I like the friendly banter between the Trouble Tones come in right before the show and like we've decided Benjiez is so good in this whole thing. Give her an inch, but you know, everyone decided that if on the Troubletnes, that if Troubletnes win, that anyone in the new directions who wants to join for regionals can And it is just so good the reactions. Everyone's pissed off. Ooh, Quinn coming in hot, looking at Shelby. It's wonderful teen teen drama.
Speaker 1: We also have to rewind back to for one second to when Sam after read Solo cup and Santana comes in and reads that letter from her a tiny little book. What.
Speaker 2: I really loved it, and it's also I love because we're just I was a little nervous because you're coming off of this whole thing happening between Santana and Finn, and like, are these jokes going to land? How are they going to be received? And then Sam is just smiling and it's it's really cute.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yes, the Troubletones come in, there's some friendly banter, and then we're at sectionals and Vanessa's Sugar's response to Jiggles the clown. That one shot made me cackle.
Speaker 2: Every time every time the camera catches her in this episode, I was laughing. She's doing something every single time the camera. Let's talk about these numbers, Jenna sectionals.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, wish where do you want to start?
Speaker 2: What you want to start? Let's start from the beginning it Yes, I mean Lindy Pears the voice coming in.
Speaker 1: Just such a great number. Two, just a great number selection, Like the song itself is so good, it's catchy. I was dying laughing when Rachel and Kurt were singing along.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I wish we honestly had more of the banter between the three of them, the competitiveness, because it is really fun, because it's all lighthearted. Because they're all the same, they'll understand each other. Yes, the bloodshed, yes, but great number. It felt like a vocal journal. The number almost.
Speaker 1: Totally had to write Yeah, well for yeah, I love that song. So I was feeling it.
Speaker 2: It was very very good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the trouble Tones here's the funny part. The Trouble Tones come out to record there to do their number, and their hair was curled to the gods and okay, do you remember, Kevin, we're about to shoot this number. Okay. They had bumpets in their hair, they had curly hair. That's nothing. They came out and had the craziest curly hair I have ever seen. It was the tiniest curly iron and they were it was wild. Yes, thank you, that's the word I was thinking for. And it was vetoed and somebody up above said absolutely not, absolutely not. It was the right call because it would taken away, truly taken away from the Numberneyiano Corney Platt, and I said, what is your hair? Who was one of the troubleton answers. So we had to take a pause and they had to go take every trouble tone back to that makeup trailer and they had to redo their hair. Already running behind and they're scrambling to try to see what else we could do to shoot because we weren't ready, and we had a break. We had a while. It took like an hour.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of trouble tones.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and that's not an easy fix their hair from Carl Yeah, exactly. But it was the right choice because it would have taken away from that insane choreography, which I law.
Speaker 2: This number, Are you joking? I was watching it and it was I was probably so annoying. Austin was sitting there with him like god gott Huldre shoulder.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do that number so badly.
Speaker 2: Me too. You and I were learning it fully.
Speaker 1: We were learning it. I remember like Hannah dancing and we were going backwards. It was so good.
Speaker 2: That it was so they have their arms out, they got out front into the sides and they.
Speaker 1: Slap each other and then the one over the head.
Speaker 2: Yes, lady sang. There was so much lazy stripper. There was a shot of Lindy's when they cut the Vanessa and she's doing full lazy stripper phase and it is incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was so good. It is one of my It's one of my favorite numbers.
Speaker 2: It's also one of the best mashups the show has ever done.
Speaker 1: So good, they sounded so good, and I just love Amber and I together because it's so happy.
Speaker 2: I mean, we need I'm sure there already is one, but like a Mercedes Santana playlist or like an album, yes, we need a compilation of that because the hits after hits, there's nothing they don't touch that doesn't turn to gold.
Speaker 1: You know, is mine river d this one? The rumor has it.
Speaker 2: Are you like what hits on hits on hits.
Speaker 1: And then they just follow the ground. I was like, just take me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, oh god, it was so good.
Speaker 1: It was so good.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to watch it again.
Speaker 1: After this. Forgot who won, and I was like, oh, it's the Trouble.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, obviously that's who we were voted for.
Speaker 1: You forget us.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I didn't remember the thing about the hair because I was watching it and goes, what's happening with Heather's hair? Was like, I don't know. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: It was a rush a rush mix, it was a band aid.
Speaker 2: Those days were hard. There were a lot of people. We were all there. You were shooting all that in a day so or two.
Speaker 1: You're rushing. At least we were in our home turf.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: We don't have to go anywhere else would And then we get in new directions. ABC.
Speaker 2: Jenna, Jenna, you're gonna say, and you're gonna take this compliment. You looked incredible and you sounded even better. Wow, you sounded so good. Oh thanks, I like you were just like, this is my moment. I'm going to nail it. She's ready. All those other girls are out of here. Give me this song and you showed up. You're like, Oh, I'm going to act my ass off this episode, and I'm also going to sing it too, Like can you keep up with me?
Speaker 1: That's very nice.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: ABC. Seems like such a weird number to me, Like it's not a song that I would naturally wanted to like listen to on the rags, do you know what I mean? Yeah, So it felt a little lackluster to me as a so like one of Tina's few solos. But my nieces love.
Speaker 2: It, and I think in context with how it's being used, it's really great. I also there's something about, though, like your voice, like your energy on that song, because I think growing up with it and hearing like Baby Michael sing it, it's like, well, no one can do that. It's so singular, totally anybody else doing it. It's it sounds so dumb, but it sounds like a new song in a way, because you can't do it little Michael was doing. Yeah, and your voice is extremely different than his, and it still works so well on it. Oh, thanks, I'm a fan.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm glad. This was one of the This is one of the first times I remember working with Alexanders. Really Alex did this number with yes, yeah, and so this is one of my first because I hadn't saying a time of this season, So this is one of my first.
Speaker 2: You know what, not that I doubted you, but you're right because I think he did just pop in season three heavily yes, And we hadn't sung a bunch.
Speaker 1: Yet, so we were like, who is this new guy?
Speaker 2: And he and if you listen to our interview with Adam Anders's brother, Alex was very particular and meticulous. Oh yes, we would all make jokes about it, but could he get a vocal out of you could? But he got a vocal out of all of us. Of us yes, And the demo singers like mind stopped out a couple of times. I think they also got harder, at least on my end, and then we were matching those and so we were all being pushed vocally and then you have a vocal producer who's gonna make sure you're going to hit those notes how the demo singer did it. And so I think all these vocals from here on out are really like growing and like this was not your normal style of music that you would normally ever sing.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't. It wasn't and it was high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think you realize how high your voice is when I first heard you sing that first rehearsal before the pilot, And what did you sing?
Speaker 1: What did I sing?
Speaker 2: Amber sing? Respect? Do you sang a Broadway song?
Speaker 1: If I were a bell?
Speaker 2: Maybe the silent? I don't know, No, I think maybe if I were something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, if I were a bell was supposed to be my audition song on the show because Tina was supposed to be geeky, so she was going to sing if.
Speaker 2: I were Is that a high song?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: And okay, that was probably it because I just remember, like she is hitting those notes and it looks easy. That's funny, and your voice is so strong.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I have voice. But anyway, this is not the genre of my my my usual genre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I there's one thing Alexanders is going to do. It's going to get you to sing whatever genre you need to do.
Speaker 1: It's so true. I can hear his voice in my ears right now. Scoop not be like hey, they say, and he'll be like he'll do.
Speaker 2: It, and yeah, you would see for you was helpful though, like, damn it, I didn't they do that, And the amount of times I yelled at him like yeah, but you're not in here, like just do that, Like I can't do it.
Speaker 1: He would get a both A lot of us though. That was fun to record, though, I remember, and it's so fast. It's just so fast. To imagine doing a song like that right for you'd imagine it takes hours. It probably took forty five minutes because there's no time for anything else. It's just hurry up and then I'll go, We'll fly that, just keep going. It was. It's really fun though, a fun number, A fun, fun number to do. Tina was it was Tina's time to shine. Then we have control, which you had said in the last episode, makes much more sense now that with Quinn's storyline, because it was fully Diana giving us that first intro. Yeah, well what a number, what.
Speaker 2: A weird song, what a number?
Speaker 1: I didn't I don't know why I would have. I never would have thought they would.
Speaker 2: Have put that one in there, out of the whole Janet catalog, that one. I mean, I think it's solely because of that. It's just to have Diana have Quinn do that. Talking intro at Shelby, and I.
Speaker 1: Think it's like fit the adult model that we're talking.
Speaker 2: About, right exactly. But I mean Janet's got one of the most stacked catalog catalags, YEP catalogs and music history like that.
Speaker 1: That's that's the one. That was the one. But then we get to Me and a Mirror, which also awesome, sound great.
Speaker 2: I was losing my mind for usual because of course the demo singer for that one for me nice, so.
Speaker 1: Though also this is a this is a meaningful one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Storm, who did the demo for me, has like the craziest, coolest, raspiest sort of Michael voice, and so then I was like, I can't do this, like how I was supposed to match him, like he sounded so cool without trying to imitate Michael, right, But it was just it was a lot of fun, and I remember feeling like I won a small prize because when I do the that was not in the demo and I always just do that anyway, Yes you do, And I did it in the booth and Alex was like, I think I was, so I was going to record a line. I did that as like a warm up the track was already recording and I was doing something after it, and I just did it to like get in the mode, get in the mood of it. And he's like, oh, let's keep that. I was like, oh, like he kept something that wasn't already like predetermined.
Speaker 1: It storms it says it was yours.
Speaker 2: I remember we were shooting this and Amber was in the audience and she ye. She's like, Kevin, you sound good. And I was like, oh, thank you. She's like your pocket. This is the best pocket you've ever had. Yeah, And I was like, oh my god, Like it means so much coming from the voice herself, Amber Riley truth and like talking about something like the pocket. I was like, oh, that means a lot to me, especially on a Michael's song like thank you so much. And she said that early on, like I think she heard it for the first time, like after the first take and she said it, and I was I was just filled with joy the rest of the time we were filming it. I'm like, I did something right.
Speaker 1: It gives you a vocal compliment. She doesn't do it unless she no. She said to me the other day during Stick Smiths when I was recording some stuff. She goes, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean yes.
Speaker 2: We actually side note, we were talking about your voice as you're recording, and your voice now has the range it's always had, but you have like this really cool rasp like smokiness to it.
Speaker 1: It's called me tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it is. It's good. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I need you to because you need to let the people know that your voice has gotten better.
Speaker 1: John's tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever it is, it's working.
Speaker 1: Oh. Thanks, that's very nice. I take it. I'll take it from both of you.
Speaker 2: But these three numbers, that was like the most intricate choreo we've ever done.
Speaker 1: I am shocked that we all got that. I was thinking, like, how were we doing this?
Speaker 2: But were we? Though? Because there were a couple of shots, I'm like, well, Corey didn't get that. Corey was great most of the time. But you put Harry front and center and to pull focus on purpose. This is very smartly.
Speaker 1: Exactly not only is he part of a big part of his storyline is that, but also just put Harry in front distract the rest of us.
Speaker 2: General that the reaction when his dad comes in and you look and you're just like you just give this little like whoops, and you keep going and you recover and he looks at you as like the example of like okay, keep going, the show must go on. And it was so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember we doing slower mark and Brad Beakers like what did it? I was like, what are you talking about? We're doing slow mo in this number. But Brad Beaker always knew when.
Speaker 2: He was talking. He had a vision.
Speaker 1: Do what you do? What he said? Those really cool shots, You're like what is this? He's like, this is a rocket camera, Like what is that? He's the best. He always got everything done Brad Beaker. At some point, I don't know if it was this one or later in time, he would come out with one of those whiteboards that was like you do projects on the trifold ones. Yeah, and he'd get every list of every shot you need and then he would mark it off with a marker. When you got it, it'd be like trouble time to be seeing this seeing that, and he would just market it was. Rad Beaker also would wear a wig. He would bring the wig out when it was like a night shoot or something like this to remind us that to keep laughing and he did that on American Horror Story as well. The Wig lived on good.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm so glad, especially on some of those sets where you just need the days are long, you need a little levity.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, exactly, so all to say I think it's a three way tie because wow, wow, wow, I think this is one of the best competitions of the series, which our producer Sam had said and I was like, you're crazy. And then I watched her last night and I was like, wow, these really slap. They all slap.
Speaker 2: I've never heard you say.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because I shouldn't say it ever again. They just left so hard. There's nothing, no other words for it. I was really moved by all of them.
Speaker 2: It was so good, like I just wanted to I'm now upset that, like we didn't like the competition. Episodes weren't just forty minutes of competition.
Speaker 1: Why not? Well, I do do paradise by the dashboard light, which is forty minutes on its own. At some point, Yes.
Speaker 2: I took a sip as you said that, and I almost just did a spit tap.
Speaker 1: Well, didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I blacked out that day.
Speaker 1: I actually the dust for light is actually I watched it the other day.
Speaker 2: By the way, this podcast has absolutely ruined my YouTube algorithm. I'm I'm so screwed. If anybody comes over and like on my YouTube on the TV, it's.
Speaker 1: Justly yeah, I'm gonna watch Paradise by the Dash for Light after this. I think the game now for me is which which dresses do we wear with which performance? Because that's always how I remember them.
Speaker 2: Well, what's tricky is for this one, it wasn't the last time we were all white for a competition. We do it again in a couple of seasons.
Speaker 1: There's only so many colors you can wear in a competition, right anyway, So then we then we get to, uh, we are young.
Speaker 2: I forgot about it.
Speaker 1: I remember record doing this number. I didn't record on this vocally, but I didn't really know this band or song.
Speaker 2: Yet nobody did. So this is so Adam said it in his interview that he fought Ryan on this version of it, right, and I guess or something. Yeah, but the song had just come out and it was one of those things where it got used in a commercial and around the same time, but nobody knew this song and so like the history of this song is is that the placement on Glee and then the placement in the commercial blew the song up to be the biggest song in the country. And we didn't do that often, especially like we did that with songs that were already previously big, like don't Stop Believing it was already a gigantic song in its own right.
Speaker 1: We were so discovering songs in any way.
Speaker 2: Right, And so this song was sort of the first and maybe the last time we ever really broke a song like that. Not solely I'm not saying I'm not claiming soul responsibility on behalf of Glee, but it was this weird thing because then it did extremely well on iTunes. And also it was such Adam was right, like the arrangement was rate, how everybody was layered into it, like how the parts were divvied up. It would just worked really well. Everyone sounded so good and talk about having no choreography.
Speaker 1: Literally it felt very dog Days to me. Oh, the way we were shot and the way we were kind of like just having fun with it and then having the trouble tons come in you get that emotional, you know element, and then Santana and Rachel getting Santana. It's like it was all just it all just came the f together.
Speaker 2: I really like these numbers, especially if you have an episode that has a lot of choreo in it and then you have all of these emotional slash celebratory just like kids being kids.
Speaker 1: You know. This one reminds me of also is a number one Teagan in Sarah when we did Teake in Sarah, and then also when we did This is the New Year. Yeah, very similar.
Speaker 2: Vibe, and they felt weird to shoot totally, but I think they were so effective on on camera.
Speaker 1: I could watch this episode over and over again. How one are my favorites of the series.
Speaker 2: How did this? How did all this music fit in this episode? Because there also was so much story. I am so confused. This is like that problem you know when people say, like, explain to me how my car can take up an entire lane, but also a double decker bus fits within the same lane, and you're like, I don't understand that math. I don't understand the math of all this music fitting in because it felt like it was those scenes were short. I guess they were. Sam did get recruited very quickly and back into the lead club within seconds exactly.
Speaker 1: The scenes were short, but they were they were all very effective.
Speaker 2: Economic I guess is the word. The scenes were economic.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah, these performances were so good, so so good. That's the episode, folks, we got to do tarty takes.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Honestly after an episode of Cringe. Last episode of Cringe. There's not so many which I appreciate.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was the there were a couple of references to like homelessness that I was.
Speaker 1: Like, right, right, right, okay, we'll go with those. Yeah, I can't think of any others. I'm sure there were some best Oh god, Windy City, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, trouble Tones. It's specifically the the I have to stand up to do it and show you Jenna.
Speaker 1: This, this, this, this thing. Oh, I like this the one where they do.
Speaker 2: It's like what it feels like, it's like young white girls seeing a drag queen for the first time, or like I was just gonna It's cut to Vanessa Hudgens saying I'm really into voguing right now. Best song I think I will survive as well. I think we are Young is great?
Speaker 1: Oh, I like we're young but I think, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think so too, just like that's what I'm listening to, That's.
Speaker 1: What i'll yeah, yeah, yeah, totally prop theth Notebook.
Speaker 2: I think the Notebook did a lot. I love, like, why does Santanna have a notebook of joke?
Speaker 1: She held it with you.
Speaker 2: I love that Santana has a joke book because that makes sense. She always has so much material.
Speaker 1: We'll ever see it again.
Speaker 2: That's the funny part.
Speaker 1: Best line the speech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a lot of great one liners. But I did love when Kurt was like I don't like you in the Grant was like, oh great, I don't like you either.
Speaker 1: Grant's good. Go with those one liners. Yeah, fashion gets.
Speaker 2: I will say Grant is the nicest, friendliest person, right, and I've said it before, and like watching him in these episodes where he's awful and like me is really disconcerting. Oh well yeah it is. Obviously Grant is super sexy. Don't you tell me?
Speaker 1: Performance MVP.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Jenna, Jenna, I think it's your week.
Speaker 1: What I think?
Speaker 2: No, I think you're the m v P this week. Jenna. You were acting, you were dancing, you were singing, you were smiling, you were power you were standing in your power. I think it's you, Jenna. Whatever you want to say, that's what I want to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jenna is Reday.
Speaker 1: I don't think Tina would ever get performance.
Speaker 2: You did it. You did, Queen Tina.
Speaker 1: There's maybe one episode that you get.
Speaker 2: This is it. This is one of them.
Speaker 1: I'll enjoy it.
Speaker 2: There's going to be more. Ship we found on TikTok. I don't know what this is. It is so weird. I had never seen it before. Abcz on TikTok posted this and it said shows you forgot about and it's called You're Skidding Me and it's a skit about Glee and there's people playing all of us. And I'm so confused by this.
Speaker 1: Okay, it seems like to me, they say the teacher's fifteen meets minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we really go home and they break into song.
Speaker 1: Do they do that every week where the teacher is late? Everything here? And then they do another.
Speaker 2: Show and it must be like, what is this show?
Speaker 1: It feels like a skit on they do one every week and then there's different flat parodies.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it's very accurate.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is it is very accurate. Wow, all right, isn't it crazy? This is Just check it out and let us know what you guys do.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 1: Kooky aby sees OUs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean check it out. I love that there are like they must do incredible sketches.
Speaker 1: Now you need to go Australian show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean, how did we not know about this?
Speaker 1: Well? We love those Aussies, so yeah.
Speaker 2: We sure do.
Speaker 1: So nice?
Speaker 2: This is crazy wild. Wow, I feel like I'm going insane.
Speaker 1: Okay you are.
Speaker 2: I can't watch it anymore, you can't do it? Okay. Next week we have Extraordinary Merry Christmas, which has all I want for Christmas is you and it? So you know, oh Jenna has do they know it's Christmas? I'm ready. I'm ready to spill secrets.
Speaker 1: I have photos, I have memory. You're gonna spill more secrets than I because you have more memories of this than I do. But I gotta watch it because who knows? Okay, thanks for joining us for a whole on sixteen. Really enjoyed this episode. Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as we do.
Speaker 2: And that's what you really miss. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.