Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with the fighting between Israel and Hamas. Israel is trying to maintain international support for its aim to destroy the Palestinian militant group, but global leaders continue to express concern about civilian lives. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who had a fifty minute call yesterday with Russian President Vladimir Putin, He criticized Israel for the humanitarian cost in Gaza, while Netanyahu went after Russia over its cooperation with Iran. Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln says he is also urging Israel to do more to protect Palestinian civilians.
Speaker 4: There's a gap between the intent and the results, and that's the gap that we're trying to make sure it is closed. Look, this could be over tomorrow. This could be over tomorrow if a moscot out of the way of civilians instead of hiding behind them.
Speaker 3: Secretary of State Anthony blinkn spoke on ABC's This Week Heard Sundays on Bloomberg Radio. The Hamas run Health Ministry says nearly eighteen one thousand Palestinians have been killed in Gaza. It does not differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths.
Speaker 2: Well back at home, Nathan, President Biden's facing a waning support for his stance on Israel from within his own party. A new poll from CBS News and you gov shows thirty eight percent of Democrats think the President has shown too much support for Israel's war with Hamas. That's a from twenty eight percent in October. Progressive Senator Bernie Sanders says the White House faces a tough balancing act.
Speaker 5: What the President is trying to do is trying to make clear to NEThing Yahoo and his right wing extremely extreme with government is yet, you can go to war against Kamak, but you cannot go to war against the Palestinian people and cause the horrific damage to human life that we are seeing right now.
Speaker 2: Senator Bernie Sanders made the comments on Face the Nation from CBS, which you can hear every Sunday on Bloomberg Radio I.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Karen Top two universities remain under intense scrutiny for their sponsors to anti Semitism on their campuses. University of Pennsylvania President Liz McGill announced her resignation on Saturday, after her testimony last week to Congress, which she and the presidents of Harvard and MIT struggled to say directly that calling for the genocide of Jews violates school harassment policies. McGill will remain at Penn's Law school this tenured faculty. Harvard's president has apologized for her testimony, while MIT says it.
Speaker 1: Is currently standing by its president well Nathan.
Speaker 2: Turning to the world's other major conflict, in Ukraine, President Vladimir Zelenski will visit Washington tomorrow. He'll meet with President Biden and congressional leaders to push for continued support for his country's fight against Russia. But on Capitol Hill there remains a big gap and talks over funding for both Ukraine and Israel, and Bloomberg's at Baxter joins us with those details.
Speaker 6: The sticking point has been and still is aid for closing the US southern border. Lead Democrat negotiator Chris Murphy on NBC has heard on Bloomberg says dangerous.
Speaker 7: Vladimir Putin is right now in Republicans insistence that we get a deal on immigration reform and if we don't, then they are going to allow Vladimir Putin to march into Ukraine and perhaps into Europe. I think this is one of the most dangerous moments that I've ever faced in American politics.
Speaker 6: Murphy says, they are still in the room trying, but it is difficult. Meanwhile, the White House says it has found a way to send some tank supplies to Israel.
Speaker 1: Ed Baxter Bloomberg Radio, Okay and thanks.
Speaker 3: We're also following politics in New York City, where former President Donald Trump says he will not testify in his civil fraud trial today.
Speaker 1: This is a reversal for Trump.
Speaker 3: Heed earlier said he would testify a second time in the case that accuses the Trump organization of inflating asset values to get better loan terms.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan to markets now, and a big week for the economy. We get the November Consumer Price Index tomorrow. Producer Price Index comes out on Wednesday, and it comes as the final FED meeting of the year gets under way. Well here from veed cher Jerown Powell on Wednesday as well, and former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers. It could be a while before Powell signals he's cutting rates.
Speaker 8: The moment they turn or announce they're going to turn, is going to be a seismic moment, and for that reason, they probably need to be very deliberative and careful about getting to that point and waiting until they see some overwhelming evidence of inflation being locked in low or see some real evidence of the economy turning over.
Speaker 2: Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers is speaking on Bloomberg's Wall Street Week, which you can hear every Friday evening on Bloomberg Radio and television.
Speaker 3: In corporate news, Macy says it has received a five point eight billion dollar buyout offer from Arc House Management and Brigade Capital Management. It's about the retailer can execute it's turnaround better as a private firm. Source to say investors offered twenty one dollars a share for the department store giant. These shares have fallen sixteen percent this year.
Speaker 2: We also have economic news in Japan. Nathan Bloomberg News is reporting the Bank of japan' sees little need to end its monetary policy of negative interest rates. Sources the officials have yet to see enough evidence of wage growth to support sustainable inflation. It contradicts the market's recent view that the BOJ could scrap negative rates this month, and.
Speaker 3: In sports news, sources say a Fenway Sports Group consortium was chosen to enter into final negotiations to be a co investor in the entity that's being formed by the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia's public investment fund. PGA Tour Policy Board unanimously decided to work with Strategic Sports Group, which includes New York Mets owner Steve Cohen's family office and billionaire Mark Lazry. Over the weekend, Saudi Arabia signed one of the world's top golfers, John Rahm.
Speaker 1: To its Live Golf League.
Speaker 3: Now, let's get a check out what else is happening in the world. For that, we turned to Bloomberg's Amy Morris. Good morning, Amy, Good.
Speaker 1: Morning, Nathan. Restrictions are in place.
Speaker 9: More precautions are being taken because of the stormy weather moving through the Northeast region. Empty tractor trailers and tandem trucks on MTA bridges and tunnels are scheduled to be banned on MPTA bridges and tunnels until six this morning. Governor Hochel is warning residents to stay alert, saying that in some areas. The rain is changing to wet heavy snow now. That stormy weather also moved through the southern United States over the weekend, creating powerful tornadoes and causing a lot of damage. Tennessee Governor Bilde says charities are already stepping in and he is asking the federal government for help.
Speaker 6: We also, of course, have begun the formal process of emergency declaration and of pursuing.
Speaker 1: Relief through that federal government.
Speaker 9: Six people died at least three dozen were hurt in those tornadoes that touch down in Tennessee. In a new court filing, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says a mother of two should be forced to carry her baby to term, even after doctors say there are severe risks involved. Paxton won a temporary restraining order against Kate Cox, stopping her from carrying out her abortion after doctors set her twenty week fetus has a severe abnormality and no chance of survival. Jonathan Stone is a special counsel for the Texas Attorney General, linus have not.
Speaker 1: Shown that they will suffer an im media interrreparable injury.
Speaker 9: Both sides of the debate rallied this weekend outside the Texas Supreme Court protester Karen Bergman expressed her main concern.
Speaker 4: Remade control of reproduction always tortures women, and we can't have it.
Speaker 9: They're hoping the State Supreme Court issues its final ruling soon. As the Israel Hamas war drags on, protesters around the world continue to call for a permanent cease fire. In New York City, pro Palestinian protesters stormed the Brooklyn Bridge Saturday night, temporarily shutting the Manhattan bound side down all part of the flood of Brooklyn. For Palestine. Protest demonstrator Amal Colleen, the point is everybody, any mother, any mother in this world, will ask season to cease fire.
Speaker 1: Coast kids, babies, babies are killed.
Speaker 9: The UN Secretary General warn of a historic and catastrophic humanitarian crisis in Gaza without a ceasefire. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News. Now, I'm maybe Morrison, This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Nathan, all right, Amy, thank you.
Speaker 3: You know you can get much more of Bloomberg News right from your dashboard if you download the new version of the Bloomberg Business app, because it's now equipped with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, you get access to every Bloomberg News podcast, including headlines of the click of a button. With Bloomberg News Now live audio feeds from Bloomberg Radio, print stories in audio form from Bloomberg News. All you have to do is head over to the Apple App Store or Google Play. Get the Bloomberg Business App updated, connect your phone to your car and get started. The new Bloomberg Business App is presented by our sponsor, Interactive Brokers. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, brought to you by Tri State Out.
Speaker 1: Are you good morning, John Stetshow.
Speaker 10: Good morning Nathan.
Speaker 11: It was a stunning second half performance by the Jets in the rain and met life. Jets and Texans combined for eleven first half punts and no points. And then suddenly the Jets, who in their five game losing streak and scored only forty five points total, put up thirty three touchdowns three field goals. They beat Houston thirty to six. Zach Wilson was on fire twenty seven of thirty six three hundred yards.
Speaker 1: His coach is Rob Salam I.
Speaker 12: Thought Zach probably played the best game of his career. Just the off schedule stuff. The timing and rhythm and getting the ball out to where it needed to get to, being aggressive but smart at the same time scrambled. I know he had the scramble, but just the aggressiveness of scramble and the I mean he was out there having a good time.
Speaker 11: And I think there was a report that Wilson, who had been benched two week fire, didn't want to play big AFC game in Kansas City, Buffalo won twenty to seventeen. The Chief for a moment appeared to have gone ahead with a minute left on what would have been the NFL's Players Play of the Year, a Travis Kelce catch, run and lateral throw at Cadarius Tony, but Tony had lined up offside. Last night, Dallas won easily over Philadelphia thirty three to thirteen. Both teams ten and three tied for first game of the day was in Baltimore, Rams and Ravens seven league changes. The Ravens won in overtime on a seventy six yard punt return by Tylan Wallace, who before yesterday had never returned to punt. Jonathan Quick la King's going for sixteen years won two Stanley Cups. Now the Rangers backup. He beat his old team at the Garden Rangers one four to one. Devil's lost for one in Edmonton, Lebron James was there recording the moment when his son Browny made his debut for USC, five months after he suffered cardiac arrets. John Stashieward Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 13: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SIRISXAM, the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break. Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm n Israel's war with Hamas is turning into a fight to maintain international support as much as it is about defeating the militant group in Gaza. The US just defeated a UN Security Council resolution calling for an immediate Ceaspire. But the latest polling in this country shows President Biden's support for Israel's fight maybe turning into even more of a political liability for the president from within his own party. And for more on all this, we're joined by Bloomberg News Senior editor Bill Ferries. Bill, it's good to speak with you this morning. We are more than two months into this war Israel seems relentless in its determination to defeat Hamas. But that is creating this international pushback.
Speaker 14: Now you're exactly right.
Speaker 15: I mean, as you mentioned, the US vetoed this resolution at the United Nations that was going to call for an immediate seaspire. The amazing or remarkable thing about it was the US was the only country on that council to vote against it. And it's this is not you know, loaded with opponents of the United States. You've got You've got France, and you've got the UK. You've got countries like Japan and UH and even Ghana on there.
Speaker 14: So it's UH.
Speaker 15: I think at this point it's the US, UH and Israel that look increasingly isolated internationally as this continues, the US saying it's really Israel has to has to run this war UH on its own terms and go after Hamas.
Speaker 10: UH.
Speaker 15: The US has obviously expressed a lot of frustration about the civilian death toll, and that's driving a lot of the international frustration. But I don't think the UH, the US, the Biden administration is interested in really cutting Israel off on its own and UH and and demanding that ceasefire along with the rest of the international community.
Speaker 14: But it's something that is going to potentially hit President Biden as he heads into an election year.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is just a remarkable statement on its own to say that the US and Israel are being viewed as increasingly isolated on the global stage, and you have to wonder whether that support that the President has continued to show for Israel is going to be able to be maintained when we have the kind of polling that we've seen from just this past weekend from CBS News and you gov that democratic opposition to the president's stance in regards to Israel is growing.
Speaker 14: Right, You kind of wonder what the tipping point might be.
Speaker 15: But what we a remarkable comment we got from Anthony Blincoln as well over the weekend was that he doesn't see some of the precautions that he's argued for in terms of protecting civilians being carried out. So there's definitely been a lot of warning shots sent to Israel from the US, but they are sticking. The Biden administration is sticking with Israel for now. But heading into twenty twenty four, I think think the monetary costs of sustaining US support and obviously the costs on the battlefield, both on the Israeli side and the Palestinian side, will only continue to add up.
Speaker 3: So what are you going to be looking for next Bill when it comes to how this war is playing out? I mean, from some of the latest reporting, we're seeing the conflict is really spread out across the Gaza strip at this point.
Speaker 15: Right, I think you know, I think you we're still looking for signs that at some point could there be a second temporary cease fire that allows more hostages to be freed. I think that's something both sides that at some point in the last you know, in the recent week or two have talked about. But it doesn't sound like what we're hearing from the mediators and Cutter that that's they're making much progress on that. But that certainly I think, you know, Israelis have said they would really like to see all those hostages returned, So there's always a chance I think you could have a breakthrough there, and then I think you're gonna You're gonna keep watching this this death toll. We do get their questions about the total death toll in Gaza, but uh, they are the numbers we have. As that continues to rise. Will there be you know, will for public frustration hit a tipping point where more direct warnings are raised with Israel about how long they can prolong this conflict.
Speaker 3: I wonder whether the UH debate around support for Ukraine, which has already gotten more complicated, is going to come into a greater focus now when we're expecting the President of Ukraine to be in person in Washington tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I think that's a high stakes trip for President Zelenski coming to Washington to meet with President Biden and to meet with congressional leaders.
Speaker 14: UH. He plans to address the entire Senate.
Speaker 15: I think it's it's hard to imagine a lot of people changing their minds at this point as they run up against this issue about spending for Ukraine and policies at the border. Something is going to have to give there, potentially by Friday or Saturday this week, if the White White House wants to see any of that funding approved, and if they want and if Republicans want to some of whom support Ukraine want to go home for the holiday break having done more to secure the border.
Speaker 3: Okay, Bill, thanks for this as always. Bill Ferries, Senior editor for Bloomberg News, with us this morning, Karen Well Nathan.
Speaker 2: We turned now from geopolitics to a focus on artificial intelligence, and Bloomberg's Tom mackenzie got a chance to catch up with ARMED CEO re Day Haas. The pairs spoke about the company's future and the generative AI revolution and how Hass's role has changed since arms public listing.
Speaker 16: We've been public now for a few months. Yeah, so I would say I feel like the eyes are upon me a little bit more than they were prior. But on the other and I try to think about it in terms of the future of roment is really not measured in what we are today. It's what we're going to be in a few years.
Speaker 17: And how do you balance the demands of investors in the company now, those new investors and the legacy investors and of course Massi Orshuysan SoftBank being the big force, gravitational force, So how do you balance those demands.
Speaker 16: So ARM is really a company that it's hard to look at quarter to quarter because the technology we're working on today is really technology that's going to end up in products three years from now, four years from now. So while the financial results are important, they're really the results of strategies we put in place a number of years ago, which we're quite successful. This is what we try to do is just make sure that the investors understand that while the near term results are very important, it's really also important to really think about the long term and where we're going directionally.
Speaker 18: But ARM was set up in the nineteen nineties, You've been the building.
Speaker 17: Blocks of our digital globe, digital world, digital economy since then. And now at this point where we're focused on generative AI and that is reshaping this digital ecosystem that we now live.
Speaker 18: In or that we will be living on.
Speaker 17: What role do you see ARM playing in that transformed digital space in the years ahead.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So, ARM in the thirty plus years has just been foundational to computing in a way that no other computer architecture before it, and I dare say after it has been seventy percent of the world's population touches ARM today in some way. We were well known for smartphones and for that non smartphones, feature phones, if you will. The ARM of today is not only much more diversified around as I mentioned before, data centers, automotive, IoT, but now as AI and AI workloads are finding their way into every single application, whether it's your thermostat or your data center, ARM will be there. So I think for us in the upcoming years and decades, ARM will be foundational to everything going on with AI.
Speaker 17: So you can assure investors that you will remain you were sent right now.
Speaker 18: To this digital world that we live in. You will be.
Speaker 17: Essential in that generative AI reshaped world in the years ahead.
Speaker 18: You will continue to play that as s.
Speaker 10: You can't run AI without armor.
Speaker 16: It's foundational, and AI is going to find its way into every single electronics device that we use. Again, whether it's the smallest device in your home or the largest data center that sits out in the out in the wild.
Speaker 17: Every AI executive that I speak to, whether it's deep mind or coher or inflection or others, say, the scramble for compute is front and center along with the fight for talents. How do you see that fight for compute going forward?
Speaker 16: I do think for the next number of years we are going to see a increasing demand for more and more compute. Now, I think it's also going to drive is a high degree of need for power efficiency because these data centers require hundreds of watts megawatts up to the gigawatts of type of energy. We don't produce that much energy as a planet. Limitations relative to fossil fuels, limitations su sustainable.
Speaker 10: So a rush to get to power.
Speaker 16: Efficiency around these compute models is going to be very, very significant. That's great for ARM because the DNA of our company is around power efficiency. I want to go back to twenty seventeen. You diversified the business. You broke out these four different divisions IoT, cloud, infrastructure, autonomous vehicles.
Speaker 18: Why did you see that as necessary?
Speaker 16: You us to twenty seventeen, we would design a mobile processor and then really attempt to squeeze it or peanut butter it, if you will, into the server space, or into the automotive space, or into different areas of IoT. It just wasn't sufficient, and we had a lot of questions early on, why isn't what's taking ARMS so long to be successful in the servers. Many different reasons contributed that, but one of them was candidly, we just didn't have the right products, and we were able to create neoverse. We were able to add custom extensions, things like confidential compute that are necessary for building high grade data centers. We could put those in the products, and now with neoverse, we have a world class competitive entry that you're seeing the benefits of it, whether it's the Microsoft, Cobalt or AWS. We had to do that in twenty seventeen because it was clear that these other markets were demanding it and the selfware ecosystem needed to be able to support it.
Speaker 17: What kind of revenue mix would you need to see to kind of declare a success in that diversification push.
Speaker 10: I'm going to declare some modicum of success now.
Speaker 16: We were over sixty percent revenue in smartphones, maybe even higher prior to this change. Smartphones now, while a very large market for US, are about forty percent and declining, and our largest growth in terms of revenue are coming from these new markets, as I mentioned, cloud and automotive.
Speaker 19: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 19: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 19: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak