Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Oh, in these divided political times, you have to wonder how difficult it may be to maintain decorum. Let's give a shout out to our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: Shout out.
Speaker 3: Who you talking about?
Speaker 1: Max Williams from earlier, Yes, from earlier, like Henry Kissinger from earlier, You're Nold Brown, I'm Ben Bolan and day we are with the help of our returning guest Alex Circa, we are exploiting.
Speaker 3: We are exploring.
Speaker 1: We are exploring a series of times that people in Congress and the US Congress and the wholes of power didn't feel their words were adequate to navigate situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They in some cases entered into fisticuffs like the fighting Irish you know, little fella, what do you call that pose? Yeah, it seems very unpractical, impractical, or maybe it's completely practical. It is like one of the fists for blocking the old one two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the hook and the jazz.
Speaker 4: I think whoever drew it didn't know how to.
Speaker 1: Underhanded boxing is definitely No, it's I see all the time and old movies. It's like a very specific old timey boxing pose and it requires fancy footwork too.
Speaker 3: You know, you think these beefing congressmen got into some little tappity dancing when they were fighting each other.
Speaker 1: Well, we're about to see they certainly were not practicing bipartisanship, right the old can't we all just get along?
Speaker 3: We can't.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert spoiler Yeah. Let's go to Deborah Caldwell in a great article eleven historic fights worse than the Sequester. Debora points out Congress has always been a wild and wooly place, and I think, you know, for a lot of us, you know, the majority of people in the United States are not, in fact members of Congress. We can't even get elected to the House, right, which.
Speaker 4: Is unless you're a member of the New Hampshire State of House Representatives, which is like four hundred and fifty people for New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: This that note in here, right here.
Speaker 1: Classic granite state Max with the facts.
Speaker 3: That seeking in the fon and peace fall in love.
Speaker 1: It's just right now, we've got several different situations here. This is Nola, a bit of a listical episode.
Speaker 3: What'd you say, uh huh, Yeah, it is indeed, So let's go ahead and jump right in with the eighteen hundred election that nearly led to a Civil war. One thing that I think we've all experienced is sort of the rose colored glasses approach to history. That is often the case in like early childhood education, middle school even where it's sort of like, oh, you know that all the founding fathers were pals and they were just hanging out, and you know it was just all sunshine and roses and getting drunk together, and well that probably that part, that's why that part was true. Yeah, you know, despite coming from different backgrounds, different political ideologies and belief systems, they all were able to just get along, chop it up and make nice and get things done right right, No, they didn't. That cartoon verse, though, is often the way it's portrayed. Sure, just learning about this stuff, just.
Speaker 1: Like the first Thanksgiving, Right, there's a bit of myth making a foot because we know that these guys often did not get along put diplomatically. I also will find it unendingly hilarious how back in the day, if you ran for president and you won, then your vice president would be the guy who ran against you. It's a very weird, weird way to set up a crew. But as you were saying, well, this stuff comes to a head, there are legendary disagreements between founding fathers and two of the guys who beefed the hardest really got beefed up. They were beefing John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. And it goes to exactly like our culminating moment. Here is the election of eighteen hundred and go to a Encyclopedia Virginia A for Dare, I say, blow by blow.
Speaker 3: Oh you dare, and I will back you up on this. So the Democratic Republicans had won the election. Again, I always get a little flummoxed when it comes to like early versions of Democrats and Republicans. In this case it was the Democratic Republicans, which seems like some sort of weird kaiju hybrid of political leanings. But they had in fact since the election, but unfortunately it wasn't clear who was actually going to be the president. This was something that was totally TBD. And in eighteen hundred, this Constitution that we've heard so much about did have a stipulation that each elector be awarded to votes, and that whichever candidate got the majority of votes would be president, while the second place, the runner up they also ran, would be vice presidents.
Speaker 1: Great idea, again, he says with sarcasm.
Speaker 3: So these electoral votes, this is basically the founding of the electoral college. Right, this is totally.
Speaker 4: This is like the second time and the first time the first two elections weren't really elections.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying what we know is the electoral college today is a little different than this, but this is sort of the like bones of it.
Speaker 1: And this is Yeah, you're right, we could call this a precedent of sorts. I would argue it is a president indicative of the deep structural problems with the electoral college in general. Jefferson is hanging out after these electoral votes are counted, and all those Democrat Republican folks, who again, as you point out, are the same party at this point, they wanted Jefferson to be president. They were like, this is the guy we picked him. Jefferson has seventy three electoral votes. But plot twist, Shyamalan does Aaron Burr and that's the one all these guys are picked to be vice president. They were worried about taking off Burr. He's kind of a hot head. He does shoot people in duels. And this is way before the musical made him catchy to the American public. We've talked in the past about his troubled career, and the Democratic Republicans kind of messed up their grounds game, their electoral game. They were supposed to arrange for at least one of their people not to vote for Burr so they could say without pissing Burr off. Ah, good, hustle, Bud, your vice president Jefferson just has more votes.
Speaker 3: That's a little greasy, isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's super greasy. I mean, that's politics, it really is.
Speaker 3: And again, a system that is relatively easily gamed when you have these sort of kots. I guess is that a thing. I'm just gonna call it cahoots. That's a fun word. A game. There's a board game called.
Speaker 1: There's a board game called alex Is a Green.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got a good We got a solid nod from from Circus very Oh. I'm sure I definitely remember playing it at least once. I'm the kind of guy, by the way. As an aside, that buys board games that never placed them chest of board games that I've never been opened, because I get one that I think is super nerdy and fun. I'm like, this is confusing. I can't figure out how to play Murder on the Haunted Hill or whatever.
Speaker 4: All the rules and I will strictly tell everyone the rules.
Speaker 1: Will we we'll play block with you guys for money.
Speaker 3: Is awesome, but I lost a couple of the pieces and now useless. Well, I got one that's a game that's so fun. It's it's not that big a deal to have to buy it a few times. But cahoots aside, Like you said, this doesn't really pan out the way that they anticipated.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you know, because these guys are going head to head against a group called the Federalists, which you might remember from their famous papers. They were named very creatively. So the Federalist Party saw this as an opportunity to block US Jefferson out of the presidency, and they really did not want Jefferson to be president, so they said, look, we'll do whatever. You know, there is no expense that we are scared of here. Yet again, that old document, the Constitution had some rules, had some board game Rules for the Future of America, and this little piece of paper specified that a tie has to be resolved by a specific group, the House of Representatives, voting by state, and that Federalists love this because they control several delegations in the House of Reps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tiebreaker pretty common in most board games and politics. So that being the case, ben with the Federalists controlling some of these key House delegations, they were able to block the election of Jefferson for thirty five of these roll call votes over the course of six days. And if you can imagine, this is almost like filibuster level obstructionism.
Speaker 1: Well, Dungeons and Dragons would call their alignment lawful evil at this time because they're weaponizing parliamentary.
Speaker 3: Proceeds, right exactly.
Speaker 4: Mean, how many votes did it take Mcarthury to get in there, because that's a good cop. It's like, how many you took mcarthy get I think I think that was like sixteen, So we think about like more than twice as many votes.
Speaker 3: So they're saying.
Speaker 1: The Federalists are they go to Aaron Burr Pictures, smoky back room and yeah, yeah, yeah, and we could get a sound effect whatever the Illuminati version is.
Speaker 3: There was a smoky sound effect. It doesn't really make smokes, I guess sort of inherently.
Speaker 1: Well, let's play in now. It's yeah, yeah, let's trigger you little jazz nastasia. Yeah, speakeasy time, far before the invention of speakeasies and jazz.
Speaker 3: And you nailed it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we're going for the vibe, folks, and thank you for having our backs.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: These guys go to birth in this back room and they say, look, will help you quick pro quo if you will do a couple of things for us, you know, scratch, we'll scratch yours. You don't like Jefferson either, and X And outside this room, by the way, Uh, there's the other political party of the time, the Democratic Republicans, and they're going bang bang bang on the door, their cop knocking on the door, and they're like, you guys are stealing the election. And you know that's super mids of you.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is way before the invention of the term mids. By the way, we're in it for style poetic license. I don't we're talking about Jefferson here, are we sure?
Speaker 4: Before the invention of the term mids, we.
Speaker 3: The concept of mids is eternal. But I don't think that that.
Speaker 1: You guys are so hard right now shout out to Oxford's a word of the year.
Speaker 3: Of the year. I only just found out that it's short for charisma. It is. I did not it is it is. It is, yes, charisma quote Matt Berry spelled differently, right, are I z Z.
Speaker 1: We don't want to make an enemy of big o Ed Oxford English.
Speaker 3: Apparently the kids also refer to people that have a lot of ris being wrizzlers, like other wrizzler, you know, batman, villain of style. Shout that's superpower, really fetching, you know.
Speaker 1: So these rumors start flying around, well again, this sort of rarefied air of people who run the United States, and folks are talking, the streets are talking, and the streets are saying, these federalists are going to put a member of their own party into the presidency. They're going to do a little finger move, right, Chaos is a ladder, et cetera, et cetera, from Song of Ice and Fire or Game of Thrones, And so Jefferson tells Adams any attempt to defeat the presidential election will be met with quote resistance by force and incalculable consequences.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's fighting words.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a threat. It's it's a weird one.
Speaker 3: So the Democratic Republican governors are absolutely livid, and it starts to become pretty clear that they are going to gather up their forces in the form of militias, which is important because there wasn't really an official, actual facts, you know, government funded mandated army, right, there was a series of these loose kind of collections of forces.
Speaker 1: Well, they're coming off of a revolution which taught them to distrust large armies from say, the British Empire, etc. So the governors in this time are in the in the late eighteenth century early nineteenth century, they're kind of suserings, right, they have these fiefdoms that they're running, and so they gather up their gangs and they say, look, if the Federalists steal this election from Jefferson, whom we have all chosen to be the president, that we're going to roll on you, you know, if you want to smoke. And there's a letter from March twenty first, eighteen oh one that is a great example of this from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: It is where you start seeing terms like usurping or usurpation is also a very assan of ice and fire term usurper. I called you usurper. But really quickly, you guys, is what they were doing illegal? Or was it just kind of in bad tastes? You know what I mean? It was just sort of a dick move the election enough, the laws is sort of being written as they go.
Speaker 1: But questions in terms of fixing the election, right, in terms of raising.
Speaker 3: A militia, No, in terms of fixing the election, like, did they the idea of them stealing it seems more of an alarmist kind of propagandistic way of talking trash about your your rivals.
Speaker 4: And they also know because like it was just a flawed systems.
Speaker 3: But they agreed on the system, you know, it just happened to not work in their favor this time.
Speaker 1: Also, let's point out that this is like this is an example of no odor among thieves, right, because they've already kind of determined who the president will be and they did not ask the entirety of the American public at this point. They also did not consent. Are a lot of people living in North America or the United States to be people so they're building. They're building the top of flawed Djenga Tower already, and I'm with you on usurpation and so on. Governor Thomas McKee, Pennsylvania, classic guy, you know him, you know him. He said, look, I'm going to take the Pennsylvania Militia, the Penny Boys, and we are going to arrest anybody anti Jefferson and we're going to charge them with treason. And then there's another letter from Virginia.
Speaker 3: Very British of them. Don't you think his behavior feels very kind of British Crown.
Speaker 4: Moves only if they are going to threaten people with being drawn and corded.
Speaker 3: All the season and this whichland kind of atmosphere exactly.
Speaker 2: I completely agree.
Speaker 1: All they knew was in terms of governance. All they knew was systems like monarchies, aristocracies and the French Revolution, right, and then their own revolutions. So they were kind of just to be honest, they were improving, they were improvising, and they weren't sure what to do in the long term, but they were sure what they didn't want to happen. And some of these folks want Aaron Burr. Some of these folks want Jefferson. They've got this back and forth of correspondents. We're not talking about when we say militia. By the way, we're not talking about getting a posse together. It's not like alex Max Nol and yours truly saying, oh, we're gonna January sixth up to Washington. On this Jefferson thing, we're talking about Pennsylvania having twenty two thousand dudes ready to go beef, and then we're talking about we're talking about sixty thousand train militia from Massachusetts who were gonna Those guys were veterans, they would absolutely demolish that outnumbered mob from Pennsylvania. And these folks are these are farmers. It's like a shorts to plowshare situation. The folks from Pennsylvania and Virginia, they are literally practicing military maneuvers and drills with corn stalks. So, uh, this is where we go to one of Nole's favorite musicals, Alexander Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or Hamilton for sure. It's not you know, I get it. It's good. I just I just didn't finish it. It doesn't mean that I didn't like it. I liked what I saw, but I just I got distracted. I'm gonna have to go back to it now now that it's not, you know, the hottest ticket in town anymore. But maybe I can actually see ruins on state. That is part of it too. Yeah, I think I'm separated enough from the hype now that if I went and saw it in a theater with a proper show, I think that's the way to experience something like hype.
Speaker 4: You guys excited for the thing that we're all hyped out in April that we were talking about on the side.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, death cap for QUDI and postal.
Speaker 2: Service a second time buying tickets on Speaking.
Speaker 1: Of hype ruining things, let me show to you exhibit A, folks. Uh, this is a paper straw.
Speaker 3: Here's the problem with paper straws.
Speaker 1: Terrible look at that, man, No, no.
Speaker 2: I can't weird.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got a BUCkies mug.
Speaker 1: Thank you for themr So uh so we do o a debt of gratitude to the founding fathers, and we want to let you know, like there's so many of us listening right now who are going get to the fight.
Speaker 3: Get to the fight.
Speaker 1: Alexander Hamilton comes in and it's so hard to say that without singing it. He weighs in on Jefferson's behalf and uh, he says, look, my brother in Christ, I get it. Jefferson is a contemptible hypocrite at last. Part's a quote. But we cannot adopt a violent system that undermines this American government. And Aaron Burr, because Hamilton always had to slide in a nag on Aaron Burr, they were very insecure, and he says, look, Burr also has extreme and irregular ambition. He's got no principle public or private, which was a real like these guys would have been savages on Twitter. And Hamilton says, look, the Federalists are playing a foolish game. You kind of have to give Jefferson the presidency because we all agreed on it, and to do otherwise now is anathema to what we proposed this government should function as.
Speaker 3: So Eventually, one of the fellas that Hamilton wrote to, one James A. Bayard, told his colleagues that he would withdraw support from Burr and throw his support behind Jefferson, allowing him to win, in order to prevent this again this like civil war. It's essentially what we would be looking at and no Federalists at the end of the day voted for Jefferson. Several, however, Federalist members of the House of Representatives. They positioned their state delegates to support Jefferson, and on February seventeenth of eighteen oh one, on the thirty sixth attempt at this vote, Jefferson won by a ten to four margin two states. Stateing and Bayard later claimed that Jefferson had promised to maintain a particular flavor of government, specifically referring to the monetary system, the fiscal system, and also to maintain which is this is probably a term that you remember hearing them when you're studies of the Constitution is strong navy, and not to can any of the Federalists, who you know, had potentially made themselves target for that kind of retribution. But you wouldn't, he said, He said, he said, a lot of no honor among thieves to your previous point, but Jefferson's he claimed to the bitter end that no such deal had ever existed.
Speaker 1: Federalist who were those guys? Anyway, It's March fourth, says Jefferson, eighteen oh one. I am now the third president of the United States. A war that didn't quite happen. Now we know that a lot of us are listening today and saying, all right, so your first example is the time there was almost a fight.
Speaker 3: But what about you know what.
Speaker 1: About some street level fisticuffs, you know what about some varments varmenting out in the halls of power? This is our next example. Right before the Civil War. One of the big issues in American discourse is the concept of slavery, the idea that you could somehow rationalize removing all the rights of a human being by saying that they are somehow not human and instead that they are property. And one side of the argument said, look, this is part of American law, and the other side, which won, by the way, spoilers thankfully, the other side said, slavery is super sucking gross. It needs to be outlawed. Thanks for the beat, Max. And obviously no one here and hopefully no one listening is going to argue otherwise. But at this time we have to introduce a heel as wrestling MC call him Uphill, a real you know what, he's a real dish of cold rubbery eggs. John C.
Speaker 3: Calhoun. I think John C. Calhoun is the namesake of a very short, non impressive expressway in my hometown of Augusta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: How long?
Speaker 2: How long is it South Carolina?
Speaker 3: So yeah, okay, there you go. Yeah, it's just like the road that you take to get from like one side of town to downtown. So I would say no longer than maybe two miles, three miles. It's the John C. Calhoun Expressway.
Speaker 4: It's Calhoun is one of these guys that, for like a large swath of this part of history, is just always president, like him and Henry Clay are always president, and oddly enough, John Quincy Adams is always around two. He did a lot after being president. He was around for a while to being president.
Speaker 1: We need to talk about Millard Fillmore, vice president two days after infamous cold eggs and later expressway namesake. John C. Calhoun dies March thirty first, eighteen fifty. There's this guy, his name's Millard. He's vice president. He also kind of stinks, and he does the funeral for Thank you for the thumbs down, Max, I agree with you. He does the funeral for Calhoun in the chambers of the Senate, and everybody is kind of on edge, right, what's going to happen. The leader is dead. This guy who is ostensibly in charge now his name's Millard? Are you kidding me? And so amid this chaos, Vice President Pillmore addresses the Senate. He does a live show and he says, look, when I first became the presiding Officer of the Senate last year, I didn't think I would have to maintain order in a group of adults. He looked around and he was like, guys, you're supposed to be grown ups. You're supposed to be courteous to each other, you're supposed to be collegiate. You know, order must prevail.
Speaker 3: Well, it's one of these things where, like you know, with the recent presidential situations, let's just say, in this country, where you know it's easy to take for granted, how much just decorum and tradition is literally all. It's holding the whole thing together. And when people decide to ask out and just totally ignore that stuff, there's not much you could do about it.
Speaker 1: It's so weird, man. I remember several years back, someone got trapped up in parliamentary procedure. They stood up and they were like, the honorable member of so and so apologizes for offending the honor of the gentleman from so and so, and I thought you guys hate each other.
Speaker 3: It's pretty obvious question, but.
Speaker 1: Like, can you imagine being in a situation where someone says you have offended my honor and then there's a vote, and then the other person has to stand up and be like, I apologize for offending your honor.
Speaker 3: Well, even just the idea of getting censured, you know what I mean, it's sort of like a public pillarying, you know, a slap on the wrists be it's basically officially embarrassing you in front of your friends.
Speaker 1: So, in its earliest years, the US Senate had given the presiding officer the superpower. If you are in charge of the Senate, you can call these other senators out. You can be like, M, that's a no, no, that is inappropriate language or behavior. And the full Senate didn't have to vote. There was just this one guy who was like, your ViBe's off. And because of John C. Calhoun, this practice changes in eighteen twenty eight.
Speaker 2: You have to stay in my line, all right?
Speaker 1: Well, Max, how would you describe John C.
Speaker 4: Calhoun real life Emperor Palpatine? And side note, if you guys want to get a laugh. Every single time Calhoun is mentioned in this brief, there's a different photo of him, and they all have a theme.
Speaker 3: Is he wearing an ominous hood and clothes?
Speaker 4: He just looks like the most evil dude in every photo and every painting of this man. I guess there's no photos of it, but every painting of this man, he looks like the most evil dude ever.
Speaker 1: He looks like he's.
Speaker 2: Look so racist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looks like he doesn't blink. He looks like he's always mad at someone to the left or the right of the portrait.
Speaker 3: I bet he used to beat people with sticks.
Speaker 4: This is the guy who was so mean, so racist, and so crazy that Andrew Jackson was freaked out by the.
Speaker 3: He kind of has a bizarro Andrew Jackson look about him.
Speaker 4: He was He was Jackson's first VP and then quit and formed his own party to a post Jackson. He's one of the guys that started the Whig Party.
Speaker 1: I always think when I see these portraits of guys who are not looking directly at the at the audience, I always think maybe they had wonky eyes like Calhoun looks like he might have.
Speaker 3: He might have some Walleye And honestly, in this painting that I'm looking at, he basically is wearing a spooky cloak. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it was a different time. Yeah, for sure, they didn't have central heating. But the so because of Calhoun, who was a little bit too active for the rest of the Senate. Because of him, the Senate changed this rule and they said, look, everybody should be able to call someone out if they're behaving offensively. And I think we can all agree that kind of accountability is key. If the Senate objected to the Vice president's ruling on a certain call, right, if he was being too tyrannical or so on, then they could vote and they could overrule him, and they could say, actually, the guy you're mad at isn't being a dick. He raised a really good point. You're outvoted. Let's move on to other business. Order will prevail. Vice President Fillmore didn't quite vibe with this. In eighteen fifty he says, look, a lot of our fellows, senators, a lot of these honorable gentlemen, seem reluctant to hold each other to order. So what I'm going to do is quellvis I'm going to contain the first sparks of disorder before they blossom into a fire.
Speaker 3: Right, and so.
Speaker 1: So he said the following quote, which seems a little hardcore. I'm interested. I'm interested in your thoughts here.
Speaker 3: Might attack or even insinuation of a personal character often provokes a more severe retort, which brit retort. Sorry, it's gonna make sure you those clear, which brings out a more disorderly reply, each senator feeling a justification in the previous aggression. Okay, this is an unpacker, guys, a slight attack or even insinuation, okay of a personal character to don't talk trash. If you do, it may provoke a serious reaction. Someone's gonna come at you, right, which may bring out and even more distant sort of chain reaction, which may even bring out a more disorderly reply, each senator feeling justification in the previous So this is basically a chain of aggression.
Speaker 1: That's what you're saying, chain, chain, chain. So the idea is that the idea is that there would be this sort of arms race, for lack of a better word, of insults leading to chaos in the Senate, which could very well lead to instability in the nation. The question is what is insinuation? Right? So and so said such and such, and I took that personally. But it turns out old Old Millies, shout out to hip hop fans in the audience, Old Millies was correct. Two weeks after he makes this statement, the things he predicted happened. He said to a Missouri Senator, Thomas Hart Benton, he said, you're out of order. And then a guy from Kentucky named Henry Clay you may recognize from earlier stories, he says, the vice president is out of pocket. He's making an attack on the power and dignity of this noble institution, the Senate. And then everybody else is like.
Speaker 3: So in this ensuing debate, there is quite a nasty exchange. It takes place between Benton and Henry Foot. Foot Foot, I'm gonna go with Foot. It just sounds good. Yeah whatever. Benton, who's a bit of a bullish fellow, likes to throw his weight around, literally and figuratively. Uh. He pushes aside his chair and begins to approach mister Foot, who, if the name of is an indication, is a bit of a slight fellow. Uh. At this point, at this you know, the sight of this you know, steam locomotive of a man coming at him full bore foot, decides he needs to defend himself with not his brawn, but with you know, this concealed pistol that he's got. He strapped. He is strapped. Uh. We can't coaching a biscuit right right there.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: We can't get away with late books at the library. But this guy's rolling up into the Senate with a they did not and uh, and so everybody's losing their mind. An old old steam truck. Benton is bellowing, I have no pistols. Let them fast out of the way.
Speaker 3: Let the assassin fa yeah, becausin of steamboat Willie, no doubt. Uh, that's amazing. So these boy, this guy is a is. He's got h you know what I'm doing, the hand thing he got, he's got the hutsbah, he's got the cajones. Uh.
Speaker 2: And he is not.
Speaker 3: He will not be stopped. He continues on towards him. Uh. And then at this point I guess the funnies enough for the for the presiding officer pillmore to to adjourn. It's like, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Love how Max puts it to Uh, quickly entertained emotion to a journy. So like this one guy's this huge dude's running at this other guy. He's like, shoot me, then shoot me do it, and this guy is I.
Speaker 2: Got a first a little bit of a bubble making it. I didn't put that. The US Senate put that.
Speaker 3: That's even better.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, we paid for that beautiful line. Taxpayers quickly entertained a motion to adjourn, which literally means while this chaos was happening, Vice President Millard Fillmore was like, hey, should we get lunch or we done? Clap clap clap, lap clip clap with a gavel, and everybody else who wasn't, you know, shooting or being shot at, was like, yeah, things took.
Speaker 2: A turn, and that man became president and that.
Speaker 1: Man became president. No, there is another example we have, and I love the way you set this up. Earlier you talked about beating people with sticks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I just you know, I thought that Calhoun had that look about him, some of the eyes right in the eyes, a bit of a wildness, and also that cloak man like Harlem globetrotter style. You can probably can seal quite a large stick in there you would just carry around sort of a chalelee of sorts, you know. Oh, there we go.
Speaker 1: Nice reference. Yeah, and so probably the one of the most infamous physical altercations in US congressional history occurs on May twenty second, eighteen fifty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as it turns out, there's an official name for beating someone with sticks. It is often referred to as caning. The brutal and barbaric practice, of course, holdover from slave times as well. Like I mean, people were beaten on their backs until they were had bloody stripes and stuff like that. I believe it's a it's a tactic that still happens in some countries more mistaken.
Speaker 1: Singapore, multiple actually multiple other countries. And when you specifically beat people on the soles of their feet such that they cannot walk or run away, that torture is bastinado. None of these are allowed technically in political discourse in the halls of Congress. The US doesn't cane people. But it turns out some of the king makers of the US government did get into a caine altercation. This would be I believe aggravated assault technically because there was a use of a weapon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right in the halls of governments. No less, I guess what led to this beef. The thing. The inciting event occurred three days prior when Senator by the name of Charles Sumner from Massachusetts, who was an anti slavery Republican exactly addressed the Senate spoke to the Senate on the issue of whether Kansas should be allowed to enter the Union as a slave state or as a free state. Man, can you believe this was stuff that had to be discussed. I'm sorry, I know it's it's it's just bonkers to me sometimes, how relatively recent some of these barbaric parts of.
Speaker 4: History, you know, right, I mean, dad, do this wild dance anytime they want it at a state in because they had to have just many slave states as free states.
Speaker 1: So three fifths compromise. It was really nasty stuff.
Speaker 2: And to your point, it's right there in history, not that long ago.
Speaker 1: Now, history is always closer than it looks in the.
Speaker 2: Rear view mirror. I mean, think about it. There is a living man.
Speaker 4: Father was born around then, as we learned the John Tyler episodes.
Speaker 1: And there are people listening today who were alive during state supported segregation. Right, Uh, this is this stuff matters. So as you were saying, all this guy Sunder, he makes a speech it's called or it's titled Crime against Kansas, and in his beach Sumner name checks two Democratic senators.
Speaker 3: And also out its last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he calls for them. He sends for them, you would say in UK hip hop. They're Stephen Douglas of Illinois and Andrew Butler of South Carolina. And while these guys are in the room, Sumner is talking trash and it's not friendly. It's not like a Friar's Club roast. Or if it is like a Friar's Club roast, it's like the Chevy Chase roast where you can tell no one likes him, no one likes it. Yea.
Speaker 3: To this day, I don't think he's a very popular guy. Beg, can I can I say this trash talk? At least? Please please get to do it? What does he say to Douglas serious, dis is man? Holy cow, these are like beast level cutdowns. He calls him a noisome, squat and nameless animal, not a proper model for an American senator.
Speaker 1: And people are people, Yeah, people are like, oh snap and then he has this moment in his speech.
Speaker 3: Where he's like, and I'm not done. I do not field my time.
Speaker 1: Andrew Butler, South Carolina. You know, gosh, he says, He says, you have taken a mistress who ugly to others, is always lovely to him, though polluted in the sight of the world, is chased in his sight. I mean the Harlot slavery.
Speaker 3: Oh snap, okay, I thought he was really like putting his bearing his dirty laundry. He got there too.
Speaker 4: That's what Hamilton did. Hamilton one time too, an article. Out these ten sex workers that I talked to, they all say that Aaron Burr is, you know, their favorite client.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hamilton, the creator of the listical I believe absolutely.
Speaker 3: Oh man, the Harlot slavery. That's that's good, although I will say not very sex positive, a little bit misogynistic, but it kind of works well.
Speaker 1: The time, well they were you know, they were all gas, no breaks, and they were all still, of course, very prejudiced. There's another guy in the crowd, you know. That's why I have to be careful with roast and stand up comedy. There's a guy named Preston Brooks. He's important to this story because he is boys with Butler. He's from South Carolina as well, and if he if he did things the quote unquote right way for the time, he would have challenged Sumner to a duel and they would have met with you know, pistols or rape year zadan or something like that. Instead, he picked up the kind of cane that people like him use to beat dogs and also probably other people. So he waits until Senate has rapped for the day, rapped for the day, and he walks into the chamber and he finds some there. Picture it like walking into a lecture hall after class and Sumner is Sumner is putting his stamp on various copies of his speech where he dissed these guys, and then Brooks, catching him unaware, slams his cane onto Sumner's head. He doesn't even waste like nothing cinematic like hitting a hand or something like, you're not gonna stamp that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Have you guys seen most or any of the Sopranos. Yeah, there's a really incredible scene where Tony he's got this like I think he's a lawyer or no, he's a politician actually, and he finds out that he's sleeping with Tony's ex gar or whatever, remember, and he just walks into the dude's house while he's his underwear and just takes his belt off and just starts like slamming him, you know, while the guy's like whippering in the corner. That is how I picture this guy. That is an excellent scene.
Speaker 1: It's wallop after wallap headshots and Brooks is like Bam, South Carolina, Bam, I'm a jerk, Bam, bam bam. And Sumner is recovering from this head wound and he's running about trying to protect himself. It doesn't it does these kinds of If you've ever been in a fight like this, you know, they typically don't last very long. This guy's bleeding, he's likely concussed. Head wounds are just super gushers. He has to be carried away. He can't walk on his own power. And Brooks when he's done with this, he walks calmly out of the chamber. It's like if since we're doing anachronistic music, probably in his head there's something like easy, like a Sunday morning play like that. Yeah, he's like and amasic, right, and.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because both of these guys, to their respective crony, He's kind of become like the symbolic kind of hero, so weird, oh regard super weird, and I believe doesn't. The dispenser of the beating resign and he gets yeah, and what happens next He gets reelected, but then he dies, Yeah, at the age of thirty seven. So it's not all bad.
Speaker 1: And that's what he's most famous for. And Sumner does live. Sumner takes some time recovering. He eventually returns to the Senate and he serves there for another eighteen years. This turns out to be somewhat prescient, somewhat of an omen for the future of the United States, which is hurtling headlong toward an actual civil war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I think we've got one more, really juicy one involving fisticuffs to take us home with. Yeah, let's take it homes one.
Speaker 2: It's fast.
Speaker 3: We saved it.
Speaker 1: So the most infamous floor brawl in the history of the US House of Representatives. This is, by the way, from the US House of Rep's website. This thing happened when members of the House debated the Kansas Territories pro Slavery Constitution late into the night of February fifth through sixth, eighteen fifty eight, and right right before two am, Pennsylvania Republican named Galusha grow real.
Speaker 3: Name, Galusha, grow your big Galot.
Speaker 1: Right, they're perfect. Yeah, it gets into a tangle with a Democrat from South Carolina named Lawrence Kiett.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting too because, like several of these stories, or at least this one in the last one, really show you the tension that was building around, you know, slavery and the issue, the political divide that was coming very very clear, and it was going to just come to a boiling point. And I think that's largely why he can so many of these, like actual brawls taking place during this time really sensitive. You know, a little spark could just set off a whole forest fire. And that's exactly what happens here. On February sixth, eighteen fifty eight, in an odd precursor to the Civil War, rights Will Fermia for MSNBC, the House of Representatives dissolved into a bench clearing brawl. Is that like where so I guess a bench clearing brawl is in a sport where like all your buddies come to your aid because like you're getting all kicked out on the basketball court almost a basketball field. Because I'm totally a sportsman.
Speaker 4: It's very common in baseball. So in vice breakout in baseball is that the bench wall come out. But when it gets really serious, people from the bullpen, which is out on the outfit will run in and get in the.
Speaker 3: Fight as well.
Speaker 1: Got shout out of Philadelphia exactly almost at yeah, famous famously chill City.
Speaker 4: Side note, I'm writing an episode you guys don't even know about this one yet where I uh it talks about how Pennsylvania is just extra I've got.
Speaker 1: This discontinued soda stuff too. I know all of us are excited about that.
Speaker 3: Oh you doing that one? Cool? Yeah yeah yeah, I am gonna do karaoke, yeah yeah yeah. It was reported at the time by the Congressional Globe that in an instant the House was in the greatest possible confusion, with more than thirty of its members uh joining in to this brawl. You know, like literally picture the cartoon fight with the giant cloud of dust and like people are jumping in and coming out, crawling out, being dragged back in you know. M yeah, it giant on a monopoia. Texts on screen, you.
Speaker 1: Know, raining cats and dogs, of punches, fisticuffs, uppercuts, you know, hooks and jabs, probably you know, maybe a couple of roundhouses. I like the idea of one dude launching himself and doing that full like two person or two foot kick, you know, or why not a lu king bicycle kick. At this point, it's those linings, right, you know, inventing moves that the WWE will make billions off of in the future.
Speaker 3: Nor the.
Speaker 1: Northern Republicans of Free Soilers team up against Southern Democrats, and I got to tell you there are probably a lot of grudges getting settled here. There are probably a lot of sneak shots at people who didn't like each other from the jump, and some of those examples are lost to history. But it was absolutely a brawl. The speaker of South Carolina Democrat named James Orr was just uselessly hitting the gavel. It was like order order, and.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the menu today, buddy.
Speaker 1: They weren't listening because they were busy beating the snot out of each other. So eventually he leans to the sergeant at arms, a guy named Adam J. Glossbrenner, and he says, you know, look, if people aren't listening, arrest them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get them out of it. Have you guys ever been to like a I guess, for lack of a better term, minor league wrestling events, Yes, like, yeah, a lot of times. There are some very interesting and problematic political kind of like they'll be like the Luca Libre guy fighting like a mister America, you know, and it's clearly a kind of creepy commentary on you know, border protection. I picture this, This whole scenario should be made into a wrestling event with all of these you know, government reps just having at each other, you know, pulling off their powdered wigs. Yeah, yeah, with that. I don't know if they wore powdered wigs, but I'm just you know, it's a good they were.
Speaker 1: Fancy they wore powdered wigs, otherwise everyone would know they had lice. Please check out the very first episode of our show. Why do Bidish lawyers wear those wigs? They're called perukes. So okay, if you are James Orr at this point then you're doing the right thing. You have followed your order of order of operations. And if you are Adam Glossbredder, now the onus is on you. Now the ball is in your court. What are you gonna do? He's got the house mace. What you guys know about it's symbolic, it's kind of ridiculous. It's a fancy or kine. And so he according to this MSNBC article we quoted earlier, he walks into the fray and he is getting in fights. These people, by the way, to the point about hair pieces, they are literally snatching wigs. John Bowie, Knife Potter and Cad Walader Washburn riped the way they snatched the wig off a democrat from Mississippi named William Barksdale. And then Potter like holds it up and he goes scout, super classy, super classy. This like a world Star moment. You know, if this were filmed on a cell phone, you would hear the person filming it just yelling world star. That's an Internet reference that might do.
Speaker 3: And I think you know, Barksdale was kind of getting clowned already because he was wearing a wig or it was like more of a two paves. Was not a ceremonial peruke or or you know, hair piece. It was definitely a cosmetic thing to hide a lack of actual hair. But apparently when he put it back off, he put it on backwards, getting it kind of caught up in the melee of it all.
Speaker 2: What's even worse is no one knew he was wearing a wig, and tis what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were totally like, you know, mocking him.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: This is actually a moment that's often played for laughs in a kind of physical comedy, you know, where a character you know, will get.
Speaker 1: This where the humor kind of quells the tension.
Speaker 3: That's what happens, right, It becomes more of like a ah like that think of this dummy, and you know they have.
Speaker 1: That pause and the music stops and they pointing each other like and then the other guy was about to kill him, is like, I guess that is funny, and then everybody starts laughing, and then it goes to a freeze frame roll credits.
Speaker 3: The mid air jump, you know, right, high fives. Look what are we doing? Guys love each other, you know, the business of running the country.
Speaker 1: So we are going to call it a rap, thanks of course our recurring guest Alex Circa.
Speaker 3: And it's also just ninety something.
Speaker 1: Yes, a fan of circumstance, we are. We also want to point out that, of course we're dunking on the United States here with the help of our research associate mister Max Williams. However, it is very important for us all to know this is not a glasshouse situation. It is a glass planet. There are tons and tons of parliamentary fisticuffs and fights and brawls. I want to give a shout out to South Korea in twenty twenty where yeah, when more the almost forty people got got up in a tangle like a massive fight. It happens more often than you think, folks.
Speaker 3: Indeed, I mean, after all, you know, these people aren't somehow superior supreme beings. They have just as many foibles and failings as the rest of us, in some cases way more so. You know, always important to remember not to put anybody up on a pedestal. Least of all, are our humble politicians humbule public sent not very humble, are very humble modest public servants.
Speaker 1: Also good not to put canes to people's heads, as everybody's grade school teacher once said use your words, so I think it was always to a super producer, mister Max Williams. Thanks to our own King over the Head, Jonathan Strickland aka the Wizard. Shout out to Alex Williams, composed this slap and pop.
Speaker 3: Indeed, thanks to Eaves, Jeff Coates, and Christopher frasiotis here in spirit. Ben, Thanks to you for not coming at me with a cane, even though I see it in your eyes sometimes that you really want to.
Speaker 1: I don't look at you as often as you think.
Speaker 3: Man, WHOA careful We'll see you next. Type Books. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,