Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. Hey everybody, this is Peter Schrager from the Season with Peter Schreeger. It is a Tuesday morning, Week fifteen. I'm joined by my colleagues, Aaron wang Kaufman, our fine producer, and Jason English from the iHeartMedia team. And if it sounds like I'm running on fumes, just because I was up all night, like off the couch, like cheering like a madman, for two incredible football games. The Giants somehow finding away over the Packers, and then the Dolphins give a game away to the Titans that's not even fair to the Titans. The Titans take the game from the Dolphins. The history books will tell you that that game was as unusual and as unique a game as you will ever find. Here's the story. Since nineteen seventy six, right nineteen seventy six, there hasn't been a game with a team that has been up fourteen points with less than three minutes ago that is lost in regulation. Happened last night. On the other end, You've got Tommy DeVito and the Giants absolutely dead to rights after Jordan Love has an incredible tribe and a touchdown take lead after a terrible Saquon Barkley fumble, and then DeVito takes them all the way back downfield and they win in the final seconds. And yet the story of the day is not necessarily de Vito. It's his agent, his agent, Shaun Stillotta. Why because Sean is dressed in a top hat, in a zoot suit pinstrit suit, and it's all over the ESPN broadcast. And if you hear me smiling, I don't know if that's the thing through your earbuds or you can sense them smiling. It's because of our podcast that we have for you. We got two guests. The first guest is the biggest sensation in New York City not named Tommy DeVito. It's his agent, Sean Stillado. And our second guest is maybe the most dynamic player in the defensive backfield in the NFL over the past few weeks. It is Vikings breakout superstar Josh Mattellis. Both guys are awesome and I'm excited to speak with them, which brings us two our guest today. I've known this guy for like a decade, so with everyone sending out memes and Dave Portnoy on barstool being like, who is this? And I saw that there was a million and the Manning brothers are commenting on him as if he just flew in from Naples or Sicily or from Bay Ridger benson Hurst and decided he was going to put on a suit and a hat and say here, I'm Tommy DeVito's agent. You're missing the deal, guys. This has been Sean Stallato since the day I met him ten years ago. And he's also an incredible agent, like fighting for those back end of the roster guys. I don't know who he represents currently, but like I remember, he used to represent guys that I would be like, who is that player? And it'd be pre draft and he's like, you gotta give this guy a shot. You gotta talk about it, and then that player would be in the NFL like two years later, making plays, and Sean was the agent and was the only guy who believed in him, took a risk on him and got him to the league, and then of course from there pivoted and then got Tommy de Vito as a client. Our guest today is Sean Stallato, the agent for Tommy de Vito and so many others. I'm just gonna let the interview run. Let's bring him in right now, mister Seawan Stallato. Welcome to the season with Peter Schreker.
Speaker 2: Peter, I appreciate those kind words, my friend. Always great to have a little time with you. And yeah, exciting time right now.
Speaker 1: All right, So this is Tuesday morning, Monday night for like the Apex, but it might even go higher and hire for Tommy DeVito seventeen of twenty one game winning drive, third straight win, no interceptions. And yet it's the vibes, it's the it's the off the field stuff, it's everything that goes into it that New York is having a moment. Take us through yesterday. Please, when your day started Monday and the Monday night went over, the packers, what was going down went.
Speaker 3: Out of doubt.
Speaker 2: I first got to bring my CNA sicily to Kindergarten, so that kicked off, and then I drove down, had a meeting in Manhattan, and then shot over to that Electric stadium. You know, obviously the cutlets the tailgate was five star led by Lexi and Tommy SR. And the two to three hundred people. But just we knew last night was a huge coming out opportunity. Look at he's already came out a little bit, but we knew the Packers obviously playoff contention. Monday night football home, he was ready for the You know, Tommy was in a lead eleven. He was a dark huss for the Heisman in twenty eighteen. Ye I knew how good he was. He is, And let's face it, sometimes you just need that opportunity and luck is where preparation meets opportunity. He's continued to show his worth and that he can be deserves to be a starter in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: We had you on Good Morning Football, and we had Tommy on Day three of the draft, and he comes in and we'd loved him. We love his energy, we loved everything about him. He goes undrafted, then you guys have to hustle a little bit and figure, Okay, who are we going to sign with? First talk about the disappointment of not being drafted, and then the quick pivot to what's the best situation for us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody wants to any player that's trying to get to the NFL wants to hear their name call and let's face it's some of the greatest to play the game haven't had that opportunity. But we know about projecting value in long ball game. And I think what it came down to, Peter, Yeah, coming in the studio, he showed all thirty two GMS that morning that you know what, I'm the real guy, I'm your guy. I'm confident what I did at Illinois is just something that I'm going to continue to evolve off of. And that's what he did. Draft day was a little bit. Let's face it, there should be a Day four in the NFL draft. Three days undrafted market is the wild West, and you know it's tough. You're making a life time, life changing decision and moments, and I don't think that's very reasonable. We didn't have a ton of ton of office. I stood on his father's office desk that in a begging, claring, scratching why they needed to draft him, and no one really wanted to listen. And I remember the rings when they took sets in Bennett and I said, come on, man, this kid is better. I know we didn't win the National championship and then he went else, but he has been a humble kid and it came down to the Commanders, and it came down to the Giants and my relationship with Joe going back with the Bills having a player there, cam Lewis and then Coach Gable his development of quarterbacks. We were looking a guaranteed money to the local to come back home and let's be you know, let's have an opportunity to do what we need to do. One of the greatest markets of you know, a football of fashion, and the stars kind of aligned and he knew he was going to have to go in there. And I met with coach early, right after the draft, and he laid it on on the table what he's going to need to do to stick. And let's face it, he did a great job with Josh Allen. He's done a tour in Jalen. We knew that was his guy, and he loves coach and he loves the organization and it's been obviously the story couldn't be written any better.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about you, your story, because we always talk about the gms and the coaches on this podcast and where they came from their humble beginnings. But you played at Maris and you were a stud at Maris you were a good player, then you went from being a player to an agent. Take us through your rise through football and kind of where you're at now.
Speaker 2: You know, my dad gave me a football when I was six years old and we watched Doug Flutie do the Miraculous Pas eighty four, November twenty fifth. I looked at him and I said, Daddy, I want to be a football player. And he said, hey, you know what, You're not going to be the biggest, strongest. We don't have the resources like a lot of others, but no one can ever outwork you. And I took that. He goes, this ball gonna be a compass. And football has changed my life in every part of the rem and I'm blessed. And you know the title of my book, and no backing down, that's my mantra. You know, Maris gave me an opportunity. I just miss getting in the Columbia Richmond offered me a scholarship and I wanted it. My mother doesn't fly, so I said, I'm gonna go out to be a Red Fox and embraced, you know, two Division one sports. I did play two years of pro ball arena football. Jeff Brown Yep, yeah, coach. I knew Jeff his rookie first year of a coaching was an absolute star. He has run on the forty nine Ers Chargers playbook. And then you know, obviously I operate now, you know, through primary source experience, not through speculation, kind of like a GM agent, you know. And I've been able to really go after guys that I believe in, the maybe guy that are underdogs because we share that same mindset and that grittiness and that walking with a boulder on our shoulder, and Tommy defines all those core values and let's face it, the Italian heritage. We're both very very proud Bisons. We know all our ancestors who came before us and made those sacrifices. So it's been fun, you know, been in the game. SES Sports is ten years old, so not a rookie, been in the game for eighteen years. And I'm just excited to be in this moment because, let's face it, we all build and we work for these type of moments. But I'm so proud of Tommy DeVito, how he's handled himself off the field, never forgetting his roots. He is inspiring and he's being that iconic figure that so many people need of hope for that underdog. And let's face it, everybody can get to hit the Ovarian lottery. Everyone can be at.
Speaker 3: A certain level.
Speaker 2: But Tommy has taken the bull by the horns. And that's a testament to Lexi and his dad how they raised him, and test him into my mom and dad, how they raised Themlet's face that, I got an awesome wife, and you know, Peter, you know you can be good, becoming great. You got to have that right lady on your corner. And my wife is my Adrian uh and you know I'm trying to be there or for her.
Speaker 1: Last night, you put on that that that hat, you got the suit on, You're kissing Thompson and it goes viral. The Mannings are talking about it. Did you wake up this morning to about a thousand texts? I think it might have been two thousand. Peter, absolutely crazy. I know it was.
Speaker 2: You know Tommy. See he kissed me first, and I said, you know what, I was so so, I I know he broke the ice. Yeah, you know what, I put the hat on. I'm a big Frank Sinatra, Rocky Balboa fan. Let's go I've kind of lived my life as as the Rocky Balboa and in that passion, that gritty underdog. That was a special moment with his dad. He able to experience that the energy uh doing in New York. You know, I just wish you know Sinatra New York was playing when he kissed me. That would have been kind of like the icing on the cake.
Speaker 1: That's Yankee Stadium. That's how they ended there, the Yankee Stadium with New York, New York giants. I think they go to New York state of mind with Alicia Keys, which yes they do.
Speaker 2: But Peter I got engaged a Rockefeller ice. I can't even ice skate, So I appreciate the Red Sox, but I am a Yankees fan. I know that's kind of a crazy statement to make, which has been cool, But I'm just so happy to Tommy. You know, Tommy is a he's a warrior, he's a fighter, and he has that quiet swag and confidence that is just intoxicating.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm happy for you because I've known you for years and you've had play like You've had a lot of guys come through, a lot of Patriots players. I remember. I mean I saw a tweet this morning from Jonas Gray like hey, that's my agent. Like that's the man right there. So it's not like you're this overnight sensation to us in the football world, but you were. You guys are leaning into this and I appreciate it. The thing that DeVito said at the end of his personal is like, hey, it's good for business, and I let's call it like it is. The football has been great, but he's not afraid to go and do the off the field stuff and really lean into his Italian heritage as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we look through those similar lenses and I think that's important, the business side of things. But obviously we know our main commitment is to the New York Giants and being the best football player he can be. But then there is a side. Let's face it, we're in an informations you know, tech savvy era. You know today Tom Brady didn't have that, you know, when he was killing it early years. So we know we've got to gradually, you know, pick and choose who we want to collaborate with. But let's face it, you know, our names in and a vowel. We're passionate about our heritage and it's a great market that shares that same passion and all those traditions, and let's face it, Christmas Times comment Pete. We got the Seven Fishes, and we've got a lot of unique traditions of that Italian culture that we're looking forward to. So playing on Christmas Day is going to be extra unique for him this year. Obviously we can't look. Main focus is New Orleans.
Speaker 1: But you know, I didn't even realize that is that game in is that game in Jersey? Or is that game in Philly?
Speaker 3: Billy?
Speaker 1: Oh, so Dom Desandro, Nick Sirianni, John Ferrari and Tommy DeVito will all be in the building together.
Speaker 2: And you know what, my wife, you might have to set up Christmas tree in the hotel and come down to Philly and have Christmas and I'll do my Rocky step run in the morning.
Speaker 1: Philly's got there no shortage of you know, Vince Papoli and Rocky Balboa and cousin Paulie. I feel like there's some Phillies up there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that really is yeah, the Philly. Yeah, Philly is a cool city. I had four players when they won Super Bowl fifty two, you know, which was a cool experience. It was weird going up against the Patriots. It's like I had guys on both sides. But Brian Brayman is one of my first you know, firstborns in the industry, and uh, it was special to see him, you know, PARTI Trophy and the owners. You know, mister Lorie Howie Roseman, great great guy and you know, I had a good good John Tish last night. We had a good moment on the field game. You know, we're good. He's he picked away at the Gunnery. I went to Gunnery School for a year. Any lum of that school and that was a year in my life.
Speaker 1: When you when you see, uh, you know, some of the tweets coming through and the Mannings obviously commented on you, but like, who's the who's the icon that that is talking about Tommy DeVito or even an Italian American icon that has talked about you and de Vito and DeVito's dad that has been like, are you serious that guy's paying attention? Oh my gosh, pinch me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. There's a lot of iconic names. Look at Scott Pioli is a huge Italian roots guy. I mean he brought up the draft day and you know, the you know, in terms of the the setup for food, there's a lot of guys Sebastian, you know. Sure now he called Tommy up and congratulate. You know, I spoke Joe Pesci. I'm getting inducted Friday into the National Italian American Sports Hall Fame in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Slow down, slow down, You're getting inducted this week to the Italian American Sports Hall of Fame, amongst Mike Piazza, and uh you go through the Joe DiMaggio, Sean Stillado is going to be in there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just so humbled, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Vince Lombardi. I mean, yeah, those men, Mac Bavaro, to stand on the shoulders of those great men who you know, allowed me to dream a little bit bigger. I'm it's it's just surreal to the extent. And then obviously going in there with Tommy performing like he did on the biggest stage, you know, Monday night football, truly a blessing pete And uh, it's you know, obviously there's no slowing down in this industry, as you know, so just uh the Naro said, the high high, the low low. You got to kind of maintain that same pace. And but you know, being Italian, being passionate, loving the game, it's hard to turn it off.
Speaker 1: You know, one gear, You've always worn your heart in your sleeve, whether it be at the combine or whether I see you at NFL game. So it's a warm embrace. I love seeing you. What's the outfit in the closet we haven't seen yet?
Speaker 2: Oh man?
Speaker 1: And how big? How big are we going?
Speaker 2: It's crazy. You know my mother, you know, grew me, when I raised me. She's like showing you the daughter I never had because I was so My grandmother worked in a men's department store, filings my Latiti and my nanna. She immigrated from Ponte Grande, Catanzaro, collaborator, and she always used to hook me up, you know the white sport code. Hey, let's give it the uncle look. And you know, I started rocking a couple of suits in the middle school fashion show. In high school and then college, I was in a couple of fashion shows. And I remember in the industry with my early years. Know, one of my tailors like, hey, man, when you walk in the room, someone got to say, who the fuck is that guy? On my French? So we can definitely go kind of loud.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I obviously I love the Fedoras, you know some you know, some of the shoe collaborations through the years. The suits, Yeah, I've got some. I've got some stuff I haven't even busted out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, there's like there's there's Ferragamo and there's Gucci. But like I feel like you've got different brands. You've got like the custom brands. Yeah I do.
Speaker 2: I got you know, a couple of tailors I work with it that in terms of the custom I mean I told my wife, I got to try to maintain the six pactal I at least sixty so we got you know, we got fifteen years. But uh it's it's you know, when you have thirty custom suits, you gotta you can't get you know, I do got you know, someone asked me who has the bigger closet out of you too? I said, ah, man, I said, you got me. I said, I got to see the closet for my suits and then my walk in. Uh so I might got her on that, but uh, which is cool. But yeah, you know what I've always I'm looking forward to going to Italy. Uh you know, we're looking to potentially have a football camp in June like this, Yeah, I've got a couple, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing, Like this is opening up doors that maybe two months ago weren't possibilities. But now you see the success, you see the fan reaction, you see what Tommy does to the Italian American community, maybe Italian community at large. What what's what's the uh, what's the future for Tommy DeVito and honest Tommy, what's something? What like, have we done Madison Square? Garden court Side yet? Have we done that? And then big scale? What are we thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, big scale, we haven't done Madison Square. They've reached out a couple of times, you know Islanders, Uh in the Knicks. I know he's a Knicks fan, an Islanders fan.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna hopefully look at the Yankees. We're gonna get that first toss out because I know they're gonna cash probably mister Cashman is probably gonna offer him, you know, try to be a dual's threat like the one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But the kids very talented, big scale, look at we you know, we're obviously going to continue to evolve. He's got that you know, Boulder on the shoulder. He knows it's about preparation. He knows in NFL is an opinion based business and you've got to get better. And he's going to continue to work on his craft. I know that. And he's with a great coach that's gonna in a storied franchise that's going to continue to walk with him and help him, you know, get it done. Off the field, you know, impact all those young potential future Tommy de Vito's be that post to child for them, but also continue to evolve as a player. I think he's solidified himself as a bona fide starter in the National Football League. You know, my job early in this whole process is to project value. I knew Tommy was special. I thought, I screamed, you know, in him doing what he's doing. That's just a testament to his mindset and the aura about him. And he's embraced, you know, all the blessings God given him. And let's face it, he's a proud Italian American with a big upside and he's he's going to continue to rise up to those challenges. Wouldn't write them off the playoffs. I'm excited for the rest of these next four games.
Speaker 1: Last question as we wrap, has the Tommy DeVito explosion and maybe your profile getting a little bigger on the national has it led to any help in the recruitment game for these college athletes?
Speaker 2: You know what it's that recruitment game is just a whole different animal, and I go through it every year A lot of times. I've got to the finish line, you know, with top one hundred guys coming in second, I can't control any of that. I look at I'm excited about the two guys I have two to three that will be coming off of the twenty five fourth twenty twenty twenty four draft. Hopefully players can see the value in that. You know, what you see is what you get with me, and you know my passion, my energy, my tenacity, my attention and detail my relationships with all thirty two teams right there. I mean you said it, Peter. So hopefully eight some of the guys will look through the smoke and mirrors and really know how they want to be represented, and we'll embrace the you know, the opportunities to come out away and get the right guys on the bus and have fun with it, but most importantly, get them employed. And hopefully have a long, lucrative NFL career. So uh, like Sinatra said, the best is you have to come.
Speaker 1: Bestors, you have to come come. I love it, dude, this is speaking my songs. I'm gonna let you go. I'm wishing you all the luck, Senior Ball. I might see Combine, I might see Uh. I can't wait to embrace you in person. I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 2: To Thank you, Peter, much love and thank you. Thank you for being a good friend through the years. Man, much much love.
Speaker 1: All right, Absolutely, Sean stillado the age at the time of the Vito and hopefully many many more. Thanks Sean, you got it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Respect guys. I got a room to get on an eleven oh five. But hey, guys, all the best love bus here shout.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so much to download off of it. There's a must. Where do we begin. I'm bringing in Aaron and Jason. I'm happy for Sean because he's a.
Speaker 2: He is a fighter.
Speaker 1: Like you see these agents and you know, the big ones come through and it's Joel Siegel and Drew Rosenhouse and Dodd France and they're talking about Dax contract and you're talking about Nicole Lynn, who is a bit of a newer entry into the scene, but she's got Jalen Hurts, and you know, you love those stories of the agent and the client and they're getting these two hundred million dollar contracts, and then you've got about fifty agents who are scrambling to get two to three guys drafted each year. And Sean is one of those guys who's practice has gotten bigger and bigger over the years. And he's had some legitimate guys in the past, super Bowl winners, as he referenced, But holy crap, was that something. And to see him, of all people who I've known for all these years, the lead story on barstool and the lead image on ESPN and NFL Network, I'm bringing in Aaron and Jason. Aaron, your impressions on the Sean Stillado experience.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was a character, and I I mean similar to what I'm sure everyone else's experience was. I had people texting me photos of him last night who don't talk about football, like they just knew about him on the sideline, and he reminds me, I don't know, if you've ever watched I think you should leave.
Speaker 3: Robby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he reminds me of the driving crooner with the get up in that picture. Oh, but he was incredible. He was incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jason.
Speaker 5: Three weeks ago, Tommy DeVito, I live in Wayne, New Jersey. Lifelong Giants fan. Tommy DeVito made an appearance at Primo Hogi's Wayne, New Jersey near my house. I thought, how great is this? This guy got a shot, and someone figured like, let's let's embrace this and get ours now. Now the Giants are in the in the Hunt, They're on the graphic, in the the the in the Hunt, and and I just love as a Giants fan, I did not see this coming. I love it seeing a number fifteen back up running around Stetler body of Hostetler and this guy he delivered. I've been I've been texting today while you've been talking to him, all the people who texted me last night. So Jason, keep this going.
Speaker 1: You're a Jersey guy, you live up in Wayne, Like talk about what Don Bosco is and talk about what Tommy's place in Jersey sports is, because it's like, this isn't the first time for a lot of these North Jersey fans knowing Tommy DeVito, like he was the dude.
Speaker 5: And every if you didn't know Tommy, you knew a Tommy, and you knew a Tommy's Day, and you knew a Tommy's agent. And this is the whole region is just behind him in a way that's really fun. And the team is playing well. This team was not. We were talking about tanking a month ago.
Speaker 1: So I know. So you know my buddy Ditro My, you know, dear Italian American friend who's also a Giants fan. He lives out in Long Island, but his father was president of the Sons of Italy. Like very proud Italian American. And Dietro texted me this in the morning. He says, you know, in this part of the country, everyone over seventy looks at him like he's their grandson. This is the veto. Everyone in their fifties looks at him as their son. And if you're in your thirties or your forties, you're watching your cousin or your younger cousin who was born when you were eighteen, and you've watched him grow up your whole life. I think you know, I grew up in Freehold, New Jersey, Jersey Shore, Like I'm not saying, I know a bunch of people like Tommy DeVito, but when you grow up up in New Jersey, there's a lot of Italian Americans and those families that go generations that have all the cousins in the pregame tailgate and they live and die with football. But there's also that delicious Sunday pasta dinner that you will not miss on Sunday night, Like that's a real thing. And here's Tommy DeVito representing those folks and doing it and his hometown team, and.
Speaker 4: It seems like he hasn't reached that point where he's he's an exciting story and no one's like, there's you know, there's no one's.
Speaker 1: That was my fear. I thought there would be a lot of a all right enough with to the Vito thing. B all right, it's kind of becoming condescending now and now it's a parody. And maybe last night, when when Stillado shows up with that suit and that hat, maybe it did veer towards that. But they're leaning into it and like embracing it in a way that makes it all okay for us to have fun with it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember very specifically my grandfather my Chinese grandfather loves and when Sandy was a thing, he was all on board. And then suddenly he switched and he was like, he's a sloppy player. I don't like him. He's not as good.
Speaker 1: What do you think that is because he leaned into the the I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it was like he became too big. It was just too much of a story. And I don't feel like that's the case right now with de Vito so very exciting. Yeah, he's it's a fun thing to talk about.
Speaker 1: Can we break down shown Stillado interview real quick? Like this is like you know on Howard Stern they have the after show, the post show, and it's usually like John him and Ronnie and and Richard and sal they start discussing it and Jad the post show of that interview, he mentioned he's going into the Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in Chicago. Now he is an agent now granted he played a couple of seasons at Marris and then the Area League has anyone While we've been doing this, done a little research on this building slash Hall of Honors.
Speaker 4: All right, so I've pulled up some information. Most important, I think when you go to the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame. You scroll down the website just a little and it says new website coming in twenty twenty three. All right, guys, it's December of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You gotta get it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So the forty fifth Annual Gala an induction ceremony. The other members of the twenty twenty three inductees include Mike Rizzo, sports executive for Washington Nationals, Louis Scrippa Junior, who was just listed as sports endurance, Mario Massa, who's a bachi player. Ed Kelly, who's the former superintendent of the Chicago Parks District.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be irish Ed Kelly.
Speaker 2: Okay, go on.
Speaker 4: He's the very first regional inductee. But so I was looking at these names, and I was like, Okay, I don't know. These aren't like blowing my socks off. But I'm looking at actual members who are in already. And here are some of the names. Mario Andretti, race car Dragon, Brian Boitano, figure skater.
Speaker 1: Let's play a different game. Let's play a different game. You're going alphabetical, I name a name. You tell me if they've been on there. All right, I'm going to start Mike Piazza. Yes, yes, Piazza made it. Jason, you give one.
Speaker 4: I have to say, I'm I'm very happy I'm the one looking them up and not guessing them.
Speaker 5: How about we stick with with football. Vince Lombardi?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah Lombardi.
Speaker 1: I'll stick with football too. How about Vince Ferragamo. F Vince Ferragamo played for the Los Angeles Rams, took him to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: He's not Oh yes, yes, yeah, yes, sorry sorry, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's How about how about Dan Pastorini, like quarterback for the Oilers. Oh yeah, Jason, give me some more.
Speaker 5: About Tony Siragusa.
Speaker 1: The late great. This is definitely in there, do you, s irr Yes, He's built that place. We have to have that's a posthumous entry. We have to have the ghosts get in there.
Speaker 5: That's absurd. You can be one of these guys who gets the media members, who champions the guys for all the same cases.
Speaker 1: Long after they're passing. Yes, belongs to that, but like I love that Sean Stillado is in that hall as he should be. Uh. The other point, and I sure hope NFL Media puts this tweet out there as a as a viral video. When he's talking about his dual closets, one of them is cedar, the other is walking thirty custom suits and he has to maintain a six pack because he doesn't want to out grow the suits. Gentlemen, the floor is yours. Aaron he lost.
Speaker 4: I looked him up, just like to get an image of him, and if you look up his name, one of the first images that comes up is him. It looks like from college. He's he's built, he's in shape, Like I can see that. Yeah, and look, if I had thirty custom suits, I would want to be able to wear them for the rest of my life. So yeah, I'm on board with that.
Speaker 1: Jason.
Speaker 4: The U.
Speaker 5: Is Phileen's basement still, yeah, he said.
Speaker 1: Leans, So he said Fileens, but not Fileen's basement. Because if the jumping is phi Lean's the men's store and Philein's basement the woman's store, I wonder if because he's like I go to I want to fight. My mom worked at phi Leans, and I'm like, oh my god. Everything he was saying words that sounded so good out of his mouth like that just I was hungry listening to him because I just think of like meatballs and par and like you're like you know and parm when he's talking. But the way he said Phileins is fileings and filing's basement. Are they linked?
Speaker 4: Yes? I don't know if filings in particular as Men's where I feel like I went to filings with my mom in the mall, Like I don't think it.
Speaker 1: Was a so Silens might have been the sort of filings basement might have been their version of like ADJX or like Marshall's. All right, one last thing. If you're a prospective college kid, do you not want to at least take the meeting? You know, like all these agents come in and they're all basically saying, for three percent, I'm gonna get you the most money possible. I'm gonna wake up ey day thinking about how I'm gonna get you more money and we're gonna do great things in marketing? Do you not take the meeting with what Seaan Stellato has done to maximize Tommy DeVito in the New York market. Jason, your thoughts.
Speaker 5: If you're the dad and you see how much airtime the dad is getting, I think if you if you fancy yourself a TV superstar, you might push your son in his direction.
Speaker 1: Aaron, Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only thing I would think that might make me second guess it is how many agents get this much like attention, Like is that something where you might be like, you know, of.
Speaker 1: Course that's an absurd thing. Of course, of course the biggest red flag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like change you way, it's a huge red flag. Oh no, I don't know real quick.
Speaker 1: In closing on that whole thing. Like, guys, I didn't even realize they have a Christmas Day game, Like they have a game in New Orleans, So this show goes to New Orleans, like Stilada will be there, like he's gonna be dressed in Florida leze this weekend, like he's gonna be down Bourbon Street they want to and then Eagles Christmas?
Speaker 3: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: So the best is as he said Sinatra, the best is yet to come. Come baby, Uh, it's the best is yet to come with Sean Stillado, I am so happy for I'm glad that. I don't know if he looks at it as like like you know, the Mannings were making fun of him, that wasn't laughing with that was laughing at I don't think he gives a shit, like all right, Elion Payton. They've never met me, so I don't care, which I kind of respect to. That was a great interview, and on any other week I'd say, all right, let's wrap, let me do a little playoff picture talk. Before Sean Stillado became a national household name. We booked the guests that I thought was a great get in itself, and it's Vikings defensive back Josh Mattelis, who has played thirteen different positions and is fresh off a game in which his Vikings won three to nothing and stayed alive in the NFC playoff picture. I love Josh's story. Their PR guy, Sam Newton, is a friend of mine. Sam's like, Josh is a great dude, and I'm like, eh, we don't really do player guests, Like I'll be honest with you. I get a lot more out of coaches and gms who have nothing to lose, and in a lot of cases, media members and celebrities who just want to play can usually be either really buttoned up or cliche. And He's like, now Josh is the leader, Like, get Josh on. I'm so happy to have Josh mattel Us because I am excited for this interview. The more stuff I watch of him online, the more I know we're going to hit it off. So with no further ado, let's get to our second interview. Vikings defensive back Josh mattell Us. Josh, welcome to the pod.
Speaker 3: What's up? What's up? Peter? Thank you for having me. Oh yeah, man, it's been some months since that happened.
Speaker 6: You know, I've been getting a lot of questions about that interview, and you know, just to see, you know, where this has gone, where this has gone, and you know, for people to really see, you know, my impact on this team.
Speaker 3: It is a great feeling, all right.
Speaker 1: So you're drafted in twenty twenty and you're playing special teams for the most part. You're a two team, two time captain this year though career high thirteen starts, and you're one of only two players in the NFL to have at least a sack, one interception, and four forced fumbles. You're doing it all. We're gonna get to the positions that you're playing. But you had to wait for this opportunity. I mean, you weren't a first round pick. Talk about your perseverance and knowing that your time would come.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I would say a lot of it is just the type of person I am.
Speaker 3: I'm very relentless. You know. I even talked to the team about this in camp.
Speaker 6: You know, I think this league is built on your confidence and your resiliency to get back when it knocks you down. And you know, for me, it happened very early. Drafted, but then cut, you know a month later, you know at the camp cut dates, brought back on the team, on Peace squad, you know, finally get a shot on special teams, you know, having to make my way through there. Then you know, come in, you know, they draft guys, you know, for my spot, having to fight through that.
Speaker 3: Then we get a whole new coaching staff.
Speaker 6: So you know, there's always been that sense of, you know, having to fight for my spot, and but I just knew, you know, I just had to break through. And I always told myself, you know, once I get that one opportunity, that one shot, I'm gonna make sure that, you know, they can never take me off the field. And lo and behold, you know, I've set myself up, you know for exactly where I wanted to be.
Speaker 1: You know, there's there's this this quote that I think John Harbaugh uses a lot. Nobody cares work harder, and it's you know, and I tweeted that out with an image yesterday, and the image was from the Fox broadcast and it says, Josh mctelli's positions played this season. I'm gonna listen them. Strong safety, free safety, left cornerback, right cornerback, slot cornerback, left inside linebacker, right in side linebacker, middle linebacker, left outside linebacker, right outside linebacker, right defensive end, left defensive tackle. You've played thirteen different defensive positions. Is that something that you keep track of? Or it's just hey, where if you need me, coach, put me in?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: For me, it's just plays. It's the line up here and do this. You know, it's not even really like positions for me. You know, they call it. We're all exes, so it doesn't really matter, you know, in our room. But when you look at it on paper, it sounds kind of crazy. But then when you look at the tape, you know, it kind of looks crazy too.
Speaker 3: So just what we do?
Speaker 6: You know, it works for us. I'm just you know, I would just tell people I'm a football player, you know. I just want to play football. You know, I think I'm really good at it. It doesn't matter where you put me. I just want to make game changing plays.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's interesting because Flores comes in and a lot of you guys were all there last year. There's been a couple additions. The rookie pace has been a revelation. But that Vikings defense. When you hold a team to zero points and you keep your team in it with all the different quarterback changes and win three nothing, It's easy to look at the defensive coordinator and then you look at the players on the field. You and Flora seem to have a great chemistry and seem to speak the same language. He is high on intellect, high on being prepared, and also he'll throw a lot of stuff at you. Has it been just a sensational time learning from this guy, And what is the Flora's effect had on you as a player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would say it's been life changing.
Speaker 6: I think you know, his his impact, you know, not only for this team but for me in general, has been huge.
Speaker 3: From the first time I met him.
Speaker 6: One of the first things I said about him was just you can see the experience who was in out of him. He walks through the through these holes and I think, you know, just his uh, his intellect and you know, the way he cares himself and the way he respects the game. I think has uh inspired our whole team, you know, especially on the defensive side. It's definitely inspired me. If I ever wanted to coach, you know, I would want to be a coach just like him, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think he has a great way of just you know, inspiring guys and getting guys ready to go, you know, teaching the fundamentals and what it takes to actually win football games. And I think he's he's doing a great job, and you know, we're lucky to have him.
Speaker 1: I've mentioned this Ivan Pace already three times in this interview. But when you have thirteen tackles and you are all over the field and you're an undrafted guy doing that in your first year, A lot of the a lot of the listeners this podcast don't watch the Vikings every week. They've never heard of Ivan Pace Junior. When he walked into camp as an undrafted guy to Cincinnati. Did you know he'd be leading all rookies and tackles. A couple of months later, did you have a feeling.
Speaker 3: Uh, after a week of the practice, I did. You. You know, he come in, he's a quiet kid. He was really to himself.
Speaker 6: You know, I think you know, it really was just the fact that he was mad that he went undrafted. You know, he had that chip on the shoulder, so you know, he didn't talk to anybody. He was just by his work. But the minute he stepped on the football field and we put on cleats and he ran around, you instantly knew he was going to show up popped on the tape instantly, A guy who loves football, hall who loves to be around the ball. And you know, I think me and him we hit it off because you know, we have that same dog mindset. You know, it doesn't matter what size we are, how fast we are, you know, we're gonna find a way to make an impact. And he's been used for this team and I'm excited to see where he goes. You know, he's been growing a lot, especially in these past couple of weeks, you know, having to step up and call the plays. So you know, I think his his his career is going to go in a great trajectory if you know, he keeps it up and he keeps doing the work that he's doing.
Speaker 1: Tell me really quick about the celebration you guys had in the keg stand. I saw you. You were the one who was disney walking. That was me in college. I was like forty four with the captain's logo. That's me. That's Peter Striker twenty years ago. Uh is that kind of stuff orchestrated? When do you work on a keg stand the celebration.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have one of our dB rookie DB's Najie Thompson, our special Team's gunner. He's he's a celebration coordinator. About I would say like eight weeks ago, you know, when we were like two or fours, you know, trying to make our way out.
Speaker 3: Uh, Flow appointed him as coordinators.
Speaker 1: That's an extual conversation. Florus is like, you know what, Naji, You've earned that title. You were going to be the celebration courter.
Speaker 3: That's exactly how you said it.
Speaker 6: And every every day before the game, the meeting before the game, that Saturday night, Friday night, whatever day we play on, we have a lot of time for him to come and talk to us and show us the celebrations, and you know, we talked through them. You know, we practice some however you want to do it. But yeah, we definitely, uh, we definitely plan those and they're not just something we just think of right on the spot.
Speaker 3: They all have meaning to it and that means something to us.
Speaker 1: Looking at these stats and Josh mctellis number forty four for the Vikings, I see the leaders of quarterback pressures from defensive back position. You lead the NFL with twenty three. The next closest number is fifteen. You have eight more quarterback pressures than any other defensive back in the league. Talk about getting to the quarterback and rushing off the edge, and how about you enjoy doing that?
Speaker 3: Oh? I love it.
Speaker 6: I said, in another life, I would be an outside linebacker and just rush the pass it for a living. I think it's an art and you know, it's definitely appreciated. You know, that's why they get paid the big bucks.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Me as a dB, I always admired it, you know, and this year, finally getting a chance to do it is something I definitely took pride in and you know, it feels you know, just it's a different feeling. You know, you could get the guy down, you know, save your dbs, you know from having to cover too long, and you know, just impact the game in a different way. And you know, being with guys like the Neil and DJ Wannham, you know, you get a lot of tension taking away and you've got I have of pace, you know, running through God's faces. You know, it's a you got to too coming off the edge. You know, it's just a lot of a lot of a lot of guys moving around it and I just sneak my way in, you know, make an impact that way. Yeah, but I loved it, and you know, I'm excited to see where you know, we keep building this thing all.
Speaker 1: Right as we're rapping because you got meetings. I love it. We don't often do the players you should do coaches and gms on this podcast. I love that we have a current player who's actually a huge part of this Saturday game that you guys have talk about you where'd you grow up? Talk about your household growing up, and then maybe your path to the NFL just a little bit, and shed some light on the people that helped you get here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I'm originally from Noo, Miami, Florida.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 3: Born and raised there. I grew up with a single mom.
Speaker 6: Uh My dad was in my life a little bit growing up, and I have six I'm the oldest of six kids. So I always really been that you know, leader in that type of role, you know, having a take on a lot. Like I said, my mom has four kids on her side, so I was always always in the house with three of the kids, having to you know, be the oldest male in the house. So that was something that always you know, just prime me for a position of leadership. And you know, we moved a lot as a kid. My mom had me when she was in high school, so you could just imagine the struggle she had, and you know, it was just a lot of resiliency, you know, a lot of having to stand back up on my feet, knowing, you know, I've been knocked down, and a lot of you know, working hard. When I don't see the light, I don't see the the and I can't picture, you know, what it would look like. But I know it's going to be there if I just keep working hard and I go start playing football, fall in love with the game, go to high school and playing running back. You know, we need a guy to play safety in a seven on seven game, in a seven on seven tournament, I go play safety.
Speaker 3: Fall in love with that kind of like how I'm doing.
Speaker 6: I just put myself in a position and just play football, you know, in it out later and you know I figured that out, you know, end up getting a scholarship to Michigan going up there.
Speaker 1: Time out. You get a scholarship to Michigan. What's your mother's reaction when she finds out you getting I mean to Michigan is one of the top institutions in the world.
Speaker 3: Crazy. My mom was so excited.
Speaker 6: That was one of the biggest things, you know, as a child for me was you know, finding a way to get a scholarship. I had actually a couple of academic scholarships, you know, before I had my first football scholarship, so she was excited for those two. So you know, it was kind of a win win, and uh, you know, I get to Michigan. I actually played my first my started my first game at linebacker, you know, trying to just fit fit in, you know, trying to follow my freshman year, they moving back to safety. Playing three years there and come out of me, my wife, Uh, at the end of college, going into the league, and uh, you know we have our we have our son, and it's just you know, for me, it's just been a lot of a lot of successes in my life, you know, off the field, that's just been you know, just a result of hard work and putting my head down, you know, doing the right things, living the right way, you know, treating people the right way. And you know, I think as a player and just as a person, you know, I just want to shed light.
Speaker 3: I want to give light.
Speaker 6: You know, I want to be that driving force for somebody, you know, anyway I can help.
Speaker 3: And you know that's just how I am with the team, That's just how I am as a person.
Speaker 1: I look at you as not only an ambassador of North Florida or North Miami and what you've done at Michigan. But like it's kind of cool to now have this feelings like, hey, Vikings, put us anywhere, put us against any team, we'll figure it out. Take our quarterback, we'll figure it out. Have our free agent running back that was our superstar b somewhere else, we'll figure it out. From the Zilf family, you know, Ziggy and the Will family from Ziggy on to Mark to down to the GM to the coach. Do you feel like this Vikings team is something special and you guys can go on a bit of a run right now.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. I love our organization.
Speaker 6: I think the top to bottom they're doing great things and it's definitely shown within the players and.
Speaker 3: Within just the culture of this team.
Speaker 6: I say, you know, we were voted number one in the best organization, and I would say I firmly believe that that's true. You know, we have great we have great leadership here and I think you know it's going to show in this month of December. You know where football matters the most. You know, we're going to show our true our true characteristics and then the true the true value of this team will showing this month. You know, as we know, had to make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Number forty four captains Cee on the chest. We're all gonna be watching Saturday. You're going to be out there super excited. Dude. It is great to get to know you. I'm a huge fan, having not known you, just knowing your game and your story and this was awesome. Thank you, josh I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Peter. I'm a big fan of you as well. Say hi, did accrue for me? I want to try to do this offseason meet you guys. It'll be fun, no doubt, dude.
Speaker 1: If you want to host the show during the off season, we'll throw you in the host chair. You could sit in for three hours. We'd love to have you.
Speaker 3: I would love that. I would loved it.
Speaker 1: Just another hurdle you'll be able to leave. Josh Mittelis, Minnesota Vikings have a great game on Saturday, and we'll be watching you the rest of the way.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh mttelis a great young man. Really dug him. I bring back Aaron and Jason. This is what we do now. We just do a PostScript on the interview. Had you heard of Mittellis before today? Yeah.
Speaker 4: I went to college in Minnesota, so I have a soft spot for the Vikings, and I always like to keep them in mind, even if I'm not, you know, actively rooting for them while I root for the Bills. But I remember, like I loved Questi when he came on. He was one of my favorite interviews we had. And I have a couple of friends who are huge Vikings fans, and I remember like during that interview, texting them and just being like, your guys, is you're in good hands. This guy's amazing.
Speaker 1: And he said he was on that interview saying the one guy to watch for is Mattellus, and I'll be honest, he could have gone anywhere. I was like, okay, he gave me like a special teams guy. I didn't realize he was going to ball out and be like the leader of Flora's defense.
Speaker 3: And I love that.
Speaker 4: Today we had two separate, two separate interviews, two separate teams, both of them talking about players coming from These are not first round picks, these are not second round picks. These are guys who who got drafted and then got cut or as as Sean was saying, there needs to be a day floor of the draft because he was in a UDFA. I mean like that, that's amazing to have two separate players I think making a huge impact that are not draft darlings or anything. I love that.
Speaker 1: You know, not to get dramatic about it, but when Mittellis is telling his story and it's like I was the oldest male in my household, and my wife and my mother had me when I was when she was in high school, in high school. It never it never stops amazing me what people overcome, It never stops amazing me. And I can only imagine I got emotional when he sayed it. But like, what do you think his mom says when he comes home and he's like, I've got a scholarship offer to go to the University of Michigan, which is one of the blue chip universities in the world, And like, this kid put it together and did it, of course with the support of his family. But like it's an you can never and that story never gets old, and it's an age old story of the player emerging from you know, circumstances that might might not be ideal, and yet it was ideal. It was ideal for him, and it was ideal, and they never pitied each other and they made it happen. Like I love that stuff.
Speaker 4: I also love you know. You were asking him, like what'd your mom say when you got the scholarship to Michigan. He's like, well, I already had two academics, like chefs, so you know this wasn't as big a deal. Baby, No, it was amazing, and everyone can sort of give that mind of like, oh, well, when I've been knocked down and this support the thing has happened, I get back up and I, you know, try again for him to be able to say one of six kids, single mom. You know, she was not even in college or age when she had me. And then I was drafted and cut and then I'm watching the team draft more guys at my position. He plays thirteen positions or whatever, like, yeah, he's he was and he was so nice and kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to be friends with him.
Speaker 4: Joking with you before the interview and everything.
Speaker 1: I know he was busting my chops. Let's let's watch Joshuma tell us this weekend. That's the early game on the Saturday slate. So here is a PSA public service announcement for all the listeners to remember that there's football on Saturday, and it's not just one game at night. It is football on Saturday, and it's all day long. It's actually on the NFL network exclusively and on NFL Plus. So those games Saturday one eastern ten am Pacific, Josh Mattelis and the Minnesota Vikings will take on Jake Browning Chase Brown and the Cincinnati Bengals in Cincinnati. That's at one. Then if you're on the East coast at four point thirty, you've got Steelers at Colts. Those are four playoff hungary teams, and if the playoffs were today, all three of those four, the Bengals would be out, would be in it. And then at night Broncos, one of the hottest teams in football against the Lions, who just stubbed their foot again for the second time in three weeks, losing an inexplicable divisional game, this one to the Bears. The Broncos and Lions is at night at eight fifteen. So Saturday Vikings Bengals early one of those like you're not going to remember, and then all of a sudden you're going to see tweets and people are gonna be texting you about the game. I'm reminding you Saturday, one o'clock NFL Network, Steelers Colts right after, and then Broncos Lions, and then Sunday.
Speaker 4: The Saturday games there, none of them are nothing. Every other team, they're all good games. Five of them are seven and six, and then the Lions are nine and four. So every single team there as a winning record. Every single one of them is in the playoff hunt.
Speaker 1: That's wild Saturday. Then Saturday ends and you're like, all right, Sunday one o'clock Giants Saints is a huge game now, and we have Sean Stillado, the agent of Tommy DeVito. His client Tommy is playing. Okay, everything's gonna be about Shan Stillado. The rest of the one o'clock schedule, Jets Dolphins becomes interesting, Chiefs, Patriots, eh, Texans, Titans gee. And then the four o'clock window. I'm looking at it. My phone's going off. Someone's calling me. I'm shutting that off.
Speaker 3: Sorry, blowing you off. Whatever that was.
Speaker 1: Four o'clock window. Forty nine Ers, Cardinals, maybe, Rams, Commanders Yeah, oh, Bills, yeah, Boys, Bills, all right, great, great one, and then Ravens Jaguars Sunday night, awesome, and then Eagles Okay, great, great, great three days of football Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Yeah, guys, that's the pod. Stellato, Mattelis, Schreger, Wan Kaufman, English.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: I love today's podcast. If they win, and I want to hear from the listeners and the viewers and all this stuff. If they win, do we want to have Sean Stillado on it again next week?
Speaker 4: You remember how we used to do, like we talk about White Lotus every week when that was on or something. I just want Sean to come on. I'm like, I don't know what is he.
Speaker 1: Going to talk? Like?
Speaker 4: Tell us about the hotel in New Orleans? What was that like?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Where did you put your suits in the how?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Exactly? Do you take only two of them with you? I don't know. Yeah, Sean could come on and talk about anything.
Speaker 1: Do you want of the beauty of this? As we wrap, I had a whole episode dedicated to the offensive off sides penalty with research with a guest lined up with all sorts of data. The NFL moves so quickly no one gives about the off sides from Kadarius Tony. By Tuesday morning, we're already on to the following week, and that just was another game. It was another game because everyone got upset this week, and there's all sorts of crazy stuff. So the Bill's beat the cheeks, big deal. Onto the next and onto the next week.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 1: I had a great time with you guys. Aaron Wan Kaufman, Chason English to everybody from the iHeart and NFL side, I'll just make one point. We've been talking about the super Bowl and you know, to me in Vegas and who came in. If the Cowboys freaking make the super Bowl, all bets are off on this being one of the craziest weeks and one of the craziest and they look like a super Bowl team. Maybe we'll discuss that next week if they get past the Bills. We don't want to jump too soon, but a Cowboys and Cowboys Nation in Vegas for the super Bowl with Tony Romo on the call. Yep, that's a possibility right now. I'm believing. But we'll get to that next week if they beat the Bills. All right, guys, till next week, Thanks for listening, Tell your friends, share the YouTube, do all that stuff. As the Great Sean Stillato once said, the best is yet to come. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL and partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.