Speaker 1: It's media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Stephen Rinella, Brody Henderson, Giannis Putellis Randall, Williams, Hansei Deshermeier, and Seth Morris. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. But this isn't just any regular old game of med Eater Trivia. This is episode four of the twenty twenty three Meat Eater Trivia Tournament. There are four episodes total, so by the end of this one we'll have crowned a champion of meat Eater Trivia for twenty twenty three. Now, this game will have spoilers, so if you haven't heard the last three shows, then pause this and go back and listen to those. All Right, now that everyone's caught up, we're ready to declare our second ever Meat Eater Trivia champion. Here's a reminder of how we got here. We started with twenty players and have worked our way down to just six. These six competitors have survived three rounds of elimination to make it here today. What's on the line is a two thousand dollars donation to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing and the title of twenty twenty three Meat Eater Trivia Champion. Now. I don't know if we've shown this on the show before, but we have a plaque that will be hung up here in the studio to show off our winner. Remind everyone who the reigning champion is right now, that's Brody Henderson. He had the twenty twenty two title. Brody, remember that this is make you proud. This make you proud, Brody looking at the Mule Beer Foundation or something to the mule deer. The mule deer is his icon from our trophy. Next t is made by the same trophy maker, the late Great Ed Newman, and our winner will be honored as the twenty twenty three champion after this episode.
Speaker 3: Do you forget what your icon was, Yiannis?
Speaker 1: I did? I did because Spencer never put mine out there in my last win.
Speaker 2: What is it an eagle?
Speaker 4: You only foresee this going to twenty six, twenty twenty six, that's all on the trophy.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe that seems like right amount of questions from our universe. Now, Phil, give us a scoreboard update for our six remaining players. We have ten questions left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll do.
Speaker 5: We've got Randall and Hansei, who fought it out in the tiebreaker in the last episode. They have four points apiece. Seth and Giannis have six points, Steve has eight, and Brody is in first place. He got nine points first half of the game.
Speaker 2: Brody nine points is a hell of a start.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with this adjustment plus five, I somehow did the math wrong.
Speaker 2: Randall declared, it's not even fun anymore.
Speaker 6: No, No, I just hope equips and you know, think.
Speaker 7: About what I have to remind them, Steve Brody, like me and Brody, we just have to start getting all of them wrong.
Speaker 6: I've scenarios.
Speaker 8: Yes, it was so difficult.
Speaker 1: You're getting all of them right.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 6: I don't even want to be here, you know, but here we are. Here, we are now.
Speaker 2: We aren't doing any stats, zero percenters or housekeeping today, so we can get right into the questions and with that we're onto the game of trivia.
Speaker 1: Play the drop quick question for what he got?
Speaker 8: Why did you do a zero percenter? The other part of the championship, M right, what's different?
Speaker 2: It felt like it was more laid back. There was like the stakes weren't highyet. As you could see if you listen to our last episode. Uh tens, we were up there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, with a lot of those tense people and.
Speaker 2: The temperature a lot of them, about fifty percent of them are now out of here. So uh yeah, We're just gonna go right into the questions. I'm ready to declare champion.
Speaker 6: You introduced him.
Speaker 9: In the last episode as the guy who doesn't care, who says he doesn't care about.
Speaker 2: But if he's if he's losing, he doesn't stakes were high on the nose.
Speaker 1: It was very on the nose.
Speaker 2: Spencer, play the trap, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stay under wind everything.
Speaker 1: I'll say, just tend to.
Speaker 8: Win everything, Demon Suckers.
Speaker 2: Finally, question eleven. This will be multiple choice.
Speaker 1: If let me just throw something out. Sure, let's just say, if Brody was paying for a couple of questions at the game, what do you think the price would be per question? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Tell me what what would it?
Speaker 8: What would move the needle for Spencer?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What would he be willing to pay?
Speaker 8: Some guy comes up and he says, I got a couple of hondos here.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't be enough. Would like some super exclusive property spots.
Speaker 1: I have a t rex to it was just done for one dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brody speaking my language, he said access to a white tail property that that would get you pretty.
Speaker 3: Far a cubic ton of petrified wood.
Speaker 2: I would I actually need to be getting rid of somebody?
Speaker 1: Did you already reveal it on Instagram? Did your circle of rocks turn into something special?
Speaker 2: Or we don't know yet?
Speaker 10: You don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm still waiting to go visit the site with the archaeologists, who I think are as excited as I am to go see it in person soon, I hope. Question eleven this is multiple choice and the topic is fishing. Which of these lures was not on Field and Streams list of the twenty five greatest flies of all time? Is it the happy Madison, the Klauser minnow, the Dalberg diver or the Griffiths net? Three of these were on Field and Streams list of the twenty five Greatest flies of all time. One of them was not Is it the happy Madison, the Klauser Minnow, the Dalberg diver or the Griffith's net A confident Brodie who's one of the only folks to have an answer. GeOH honest, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I'm fifty I've got it narrowed down to two.
Speaker 4: I like when you go fishing question, but then when that fishing question is a fly fishing question, Uh huh, it's just terrible.
Speaker 1: Like he pumps you down fishing and shit.
Speaker 2: Three of those flies made field and streams list one of them did not.
Speaker 1: I that's a saying you need to be a more rounded fish.
Speaker 2: That's how you get to be a trivia champion. Like Brody over here, man catches walleye and he catches trout and everything in between. Anybody have an answered.
Speaker 3: I catch plenty of trout to Spencer's just not on an accident. He just hates them.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying happy Madison. Yanna saying happy Madison, Randall's saying happy Madison. Brody everyone says happy Madison.
Speaker 3: They got it right.
Speaker 2: Correct answer was happy Madison. The Klauserman It was named the best fly of all time, while the Griffiths Net was eighth and Dalberg Diver was twenty fourth. Happy Madison is the name of Adam Sandler's production company, which combines the name of two movies, Happy Gilmour and Billy Madison.
Speaker 6: You could have.
Speaker 3: Stuck something better and there for the one that was wrong.
Speaker 8: Well, what I had going for it is it's a famous trout river.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got a few folks down to a fifty.
Speaker 8: Happy Hey, listen, I did write it down. Do what I'm just saying, it's got it going.
Speaker 3: I just think it's a bad question.
Speaker 2: Twelve.
Speaker 8: This is our half the week.
Speaker 2: This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Drew Young for sending this great question. He's going to get a book signed by Steve. What Tennessee Lake was the side of a duck hunting double homicide in twenty twenty one. The topic was hunting. What Tennessee Lake was the site of a duck hunting double homicide in twenty twenty one. The room looks torn.
Speaker 3: I remember reading this article on the media dot Com definitely followed this.
Speaker 1: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Good Onnie Seth.
Speaker 3: I just didn't retain the infel Spencer.
Speaker 2: What tennis. That's a hint.
Speaker 1: Chat.
Speaker 8: This is the chit chat I just hate.
Speaker 1: There's no way that's gonna help you.
Speaker 2: Anybody like I was born like Stephen Brody, probably have an intimate knowledge of where you've hunted and where you haven't in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know, not that intimate.
Speaker 2: What Tennessee Like was the side of a duck hunting double hamm.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Okay, I don't know, but I just need him to not know. I don't care about you, like something like I don't care who cares. It's not gonna do anything for him.
Speaker 1: But I just race. I know, and you don't know. That's bad. Then I'm scratching.
Speaker 2: That's how the game.
Speaker 1: Did you come? Scratch?
Speaker 8: And oh, it's give me another second.
Speaker 6: Hmmm, give me another hint.
Speaker 9: This is from Meat Eater's fifth vertical, Murders in the Outdoors.
Speaker 2: Which I think we have a book coming out about murders in the outdoors. What Tennessee Like was the side of a duck hunting double homicide in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: I feel like Brody's been writing for the last ten minutes yeah, Brod.
Speaker 2: He doesn't like the extra time he's been granted an extra time answer here. I think you're the only one we're waiting on right now. All right, let's fine, let's go, so everybody's right, Hansey. Okay, I'm gonna let Hanse finish writing, and then we're gonna to milip over the boards.
Speaker 1: Do you mind?
Speaker 8: You know that little thing?
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, Hansey, it's unspoken.
Speaker 3: Now we'll have the usual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying brown lake, Yanna saying real foot, Ramble saying real foot, Hansey without an answer, Seth crossed out or excuse me, Steve crossed out tenderfoot and wrote real foot. Brody saying Cumberland. What the correct answer is real foot lake? Steve likes what has just happened?
Speaker 8: Chance Ball, Not that it gave me a hint, but it bought me time.
Speaker 2: Okay, how close were you doing till the very end?
Speaker 11: Chance Black, Zach, No, certainly not false foot Chance Black, Zach, Groomes and Jeff Crabtree were duck hunting on real foot when seven year old David Vowel approached their blind He killed Black and Grooms with his shotgun before Crabtree shoved Vowel into the lake.
Speaker 2: Vowel's body was recovered a few days later, with the Corner determining that he died of hypothermia and or drowning. Authorities later learned that a week before the incident, Vowel told his wife that he had dementia, which he self diagnosed by Google his symptoms.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Question thirteen, Betime, I don't know that. I can't remember who wrote it. Somebody for Outdoor Life interviewed the third hunter. They did a phenomenal job of telling the story. Obviously very sad, but for all parties?
Speaker 8: Should we put that in the Sportsman's Atlas?
Speaker 1: Brody Well, we.
Speaker 3: Just told the whole damn thing.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, there's there's a lot of the story the lake.
Speaker 8: You know what we do is for the Sportsman's Atlas, we could go through all of the trivia questions forever and probably fine things.
Speaker 2: Sports That lake has a fascinating history about how it was formed. In case you want to use this for the atlas, we won't talk about it, but it's a relatively young lake. All those blinds that they were hunting out of our public blinds. That's like a draw system. There might be something there for you. Question three.
Speaker 8: Did you hear about me and Randall's long Hunter's project?
Speaker 3: Slightly?
Speaker 2: I came and butted in on it a few times. That was that was about as much as I know.
Speaker 8: We recorded it the other day. Does that think it might be the best audio thing I've ever been involved in?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: That's great, better than this now audio?
Speaker 1: What if you win?
Speaker 3: Better than the last episode?
Speaker 2: Question thirteen of our audio books.
Speaker 8: But it's our first audiobook though, so that's not saying a whole lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 2: This is the best.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: I wonder why I felt so good?
Speaker 2: This is the best championship episode we've ever recorded. In twenty twenty three, that is the fourth and final episode of the tournament. So yeah, same thing.
Speaker 5: Congrats.
Speaker 2: Question thirteen. The topic is woodsmanship. The scientific name for this fool proof for mushroom roughly translates to giant bald head. The topic is woodsmanship. The scientific name for this fool proof for mushroom roughly translates to giant bald head. Hold on, of course, the room looks stumped. Brody is the only person to come up with an answer thus far. The scientific name for this fool proof for mushroom roughly translates to giant bald head. This is question thirteen.
Speaker 8: Could I just write down a couple of the things the fool proof four have?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Be fine, We're not going to count that. You can cross it out until you're down to one.
Speaker 6: Four are.
Speaker 8: Oh man, the room is stump like the Linnaean name.
Speaker 2: The scientific name for this fool proof for mushroom roughly translates to giant bald.
Speaker 5: But but do they need to write.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: If I just need the mushrooms, if the answer was large mouth bass, you would just write down large mount I.
Speaker 1: Don't need it.
Speaker 8: Okay, I thought I had an O. I need more time now, I just thought I had an over lenaan name.
Speaker 2: Now now that I think would be impossible. You need to tell me the common name for the mushroom, seth. Do you have this one right? You're pretty quiet. I don't know, just kind of accepted your fate on this question. Maybe the game in general?
Speaker 1: Hey not yet? Yeah, good Spencer. Okay. If the answer was large mouth bass, and.
Speaker 2: I need to write down largemouth bass.
Speaker 1: Not only bad not like bucket mouth.
Speaker 2: The scientific name. Give this fool proof for mushroom roughly translates to giant bald head.
Speaker 3: You know what it is, Steve?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, we trust Hansie. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Hold on?
Speaker 1: I got to change my answer real quickly.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, maybe hans he knows it and he's sitting there to going Steve, such an idiot.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Really, is everybody ready?
Speaker 6: That's what you changed us too?
Speaker 3: No, give me five.
Speaker 6: Oh that's exciting.
Speaker 8: Wow, that's exciting.
Speaker 2: We have Randall disagreeing.
Speaker 6: No, no, I'm not just no.
Speaker 2: Giant bald head, Brodie. I think we are just waiting.
Speaker 3: In one second, I'm finishing up.
Speaker 2: Is anybody confident, Steve?
Speaker 8: Okay, it's it's more complicated than that. To be honest with you, you don't want to explain it because it's the kind of chip chat. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Okay, No, no, no, no, he saw something to cheating.
Speaker 4: Why would you change Barry another mushrooms and Barry did not see anything ten seconds before?
Speaker 1: Does this go on?
Speaker 11: For?
Speaker 6: They're going until brod to get go.
Speaker 2: Ahead and reveal your answers. We have said saying puffball. Be honest, I can't even tell what the board says here puffball raand saying puffball. Hansi saying giant puffball, See saying giant puffball. Brody saying bulett. The correct answer.
Speaker 8: Is puffball, giant puffball.
Speaker 2: We're not going to go to giants.
Speaker 1: That's what I got. Point the double points if you get giant.
Speaker 2: Puffer, just going to do puffball. Puffballs are round, white mushrooms that can reach soccer ball proportion, which explains the meaning of the scientific randall.
Speaker 8: Like, listen, buddy, I want you to look and be inspired by this.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: Well, I was about to change.
Speaker 9: I was about to change to plus three, but then I realized, since you got it right, I'm just exactly.
Speaker 1: Where I was.
Speaker 8: I want you to look at me like man, any anything's possible.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: A lot of talking going on.
Speaker 2: The biggest puffball ever found was discovered in nineteen eighty seven. It was over eight feet in circumference and weighed nearly fifty pounds.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 2: If you want to learn how to cook with them, then go to the meadeater dot com and check out Rick Mattney's recipe. For puffball, mushroom pizza.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you right now, big one, it's a listen, it's a I've gotten in my at my age. I don't even slow down for him.
Speaker 2: Oh really, it just tell me where they're at. I would love to go get some.
Speaker 1: They're all over the place.
Speaker 8: I was looking at a bunch of your day. I don't even slow down for him because it's like it's just always a disappointing feat. It's always a disappointing feed.
Speaker 2: Now did you did you find them in an open meadow where they like in timber grass.
Speaker 1: They're kind of like tofu.
Speaker 6: I feel like, whatever flavor you.
Speaker 8: I don't even slow down for him. The texture's not right. Like when I find emotion, I won't be excited. Sure, And when I bring home puffball, I'm just not excited.
Speaker 3: You know, an eight foot one, you could come.
Speaker 8: Actress like mattress, great matt.
Speaker 3: You could shoot it up with a.
Speaker 6: Punt gun too, probably climb up.
Speaker 1: Just suck all that. It just suck all it absorbed all that business. Yeah, you would wait until it turned it into powder.
Speaker 8: Oh oh, it's like poor Man's Tanner.
Speaker 2: Question fourteen, The topic is biology. What city is home to the American Museum of Natural History, says question fourteen, What city is home to the American Museum of Natural History? An exciting round so far, Brody had a little bit of a cushion. Now I think he may be in second place.
Speaker 3: There's one question of cushion. I feel like I said a little bit.
Speaker 1: You're feeling good about your answer.
Speaker 5: Randal, You've gotten three correct in this game so far? Am I right with that?
Speaker 2: That would be to be honest.
Speaker 6: I'm not paying I just listen.
Speaker 1: I I okay, how many questions?
Speaker 5: I just know there's the championship and I don't want to screw anything up.
Speaker 8: So he answers, he's not screwing with I thought he's just screwing with you. You just try to check a score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm not really paying attention to the answers.
Speaker 2: We've had so far. We're happy Madison, Real foot Lake and Puffball.
Speaker 1: I thought you meant the whole day.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, just in this this game that we've here's.
Speaker 2: The question last few minutes, what city is home to the American Museum of Natural History? Maybe is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: He said, maybe with a smirk on.
Speaker 2: I think that's more than a maybe. We're seth saying New York City, Honest saying Washington, d C. Randall saying New York City, HANSI saying Chicago, Steve saying New York City, Brody saying washing in DC. The correct answer is New York City.
Speaker 1: The boy Brody is faltering bad.
Speaker 8: We found things like listen, it's interesting to have found his weeks.
Speaker 3: Which is.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, how many years difference are you two?
Speaker 2: In age?
Speaker 1: Sunday? Some hard.
Speaker 3: I didn't ask if he wanted to run a half marathon.
Speaker 1: No, you won't be hunting that thing Sunday.
Speaker 2: The American Museum of Natural History is located on the upper West side of Manhattan in Theodore Roosevelt Park. The museum has thirty five million specimens of plant, animals, fossils, artifacts, and more. It gets about five million visitors each year, including my wife and I on our honeymoon in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Case of point question that they get visitors.
Speaker 8: You know what, Sometimes you're doing a question and and you start and I know, I know it, okay, based on just like vibrations the last two just somehow you hadn't said the question. Your voice started and it was and I was like visited, okay, with the realization that I knew the answer.
Speaker 1: You're got with what city?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're tumunculous chiseled through your ear. Question fifteen. The topic is conservation. This type of federal land often has welcome signs that say, quote your public lands. HM, question is behind you, Steve. This type of federal land often has welcome signs that say, quote your public lands.
Speaker 5: And Steve, you said two point lead. Right now, I have you with a one point lead. No, it might be my mistake.
Speaker 8: No, I caught him and then passed him and then passed him more.
Speaker 2: Let's let's revisit. So Steve got New York City.
Speaker 5: I've got Steve at twelve, and I've got Brody with eleven current.
Speaker 3: No, he's up by two by two.
Speaker 1: Screw.
Speaker 3: That means I gave Brody an extra point somewhere. I want it back.
Speaker 1: Oh, what was the question?
Speaker 2: Question fifteen? Topic is conservation. This type of federal land often has welcome signs that say, quote your public lands. The room is torn, Randall, Do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: I think?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 2: This is question fifteen. We will get an official scoreboard update from Phil after this.
Speaker 8: How could during a championship game, Phil be having so many questions about who's got what.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm trying to make sure things are square. I'm doing this for you.
Speaker 6: He's counting above ten, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not to feel bad at doing what he does, but you should keep it tally sure.
Speaker 3: I never knew she's.
Speaker 8: Never done this before. He's never demonstrated fallibility and clation.
Speaker 1: That's wrong.
Speaker 5: Ever since we brought the cameras and the TV in here and I'm doing eight things at once, I've asked people to keep their own score just in case I'm I'm imperfect.
Speaker 2: Someone else made the observation Phil looks like he is a nine to one to one operator.
Speaker 8: Back there does Philip play.
Speaker 5: It's a more stressful job.
Speaker 2: He has played before. He played during the UH Wives and Girlfriend's episode.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and his wife won his wife one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she'd put up an oppressive nine.
Speaker 1: I believed that day.
Speaker 2: I remember we've had a stat in the past about Phil's performance because he played like the first four or five episodes. I don't recall what his average was. It wasn't true.
Speaker 8: When his wife beat him.
Speaker 1: Was it like, uh, did he do real bad? No?
Speaker 5: I want to say I got like a seven or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how'd that go? At home? Phil?
Speaker 3: I don't think she's brought it up once since.
Speaker 6: Okay, up to be honest, Spencer, we just don't care about it.
Speaker 2: Here's the question again. This type of federal land often has welcome signs. This could be SA public fil.
Speaker 3: Do you ever miss it playing trivia?
Speaker 6: Do you miss the thrill?
Speaker 1: Not at all? I was.
Speaker 5: I was horrified. I like when there's a cooking question. I was like, Okay, I've got a fighting chance here, but everything else is nope, right over my head.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying Forest Service, you're honest saying national Forest, Randall saying BLM, Hansi saying national Forest, See saying national forest. Brody's saying BLM. He crossed out national forest. The correct answer is BLM. It's going to make the game interesting up a little bit. That was question fifteen. The BLM branding is big on hammering home the concept that public lands belong to you. Their signs often contain slogans like help maintain your property, keep your land clean, and entering your public lands. The agency says that their signs act as silent employees. Phil, we have five questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure thing. We've got Hansei who has six points and I don't believe can catch up.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 12: You're correct, Like mathematically mathematically impossible. Yeah, uh, Jannis Randall and Seth I'll have nine points, apiece, Brody has eleven, and Steve has run away with the lead.
Speaker 3: He's got twelve points. Questions left, No one exactly classified? Is running Away film? Well, he was behind and I was in front.
Speaker 5: I didn't believe that correct correctly, you'rerrec ready.
Speaker 8: Question there's a there's a lot of turf out there, Dude, being like this is like on a normal show. This is like being that you're halfway through with a one point lead. That doesn't mean that much.
Speaker 2: It's a good way to put it. Question sixteen. The topic is gear. USA Archery CEO Denise Parker said their membership doubled thanks to the release of this twenty twelve movie. The room is very confident. USA Archery CEO Denise Parker said their membership doubled thanks to the release of this twenty twelve movie. Seems like we may have a one hundred percenter here.
Speaker 8: That was kind of dumb ass question.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's going to everybody knows Godfather.
Speaker 2: Hansi is the only one a little stumped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like kidding.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 2: Whatever, Hansi, We don't. We don't have to pressure you made a few seconds. Uh, I'm finished writing. The USA Archery CEO see the rest of all of the rest of our ears work. You can't have pounding noise into the like. USA Archery CEO Denise Parker said their membership doubled thanks to the release of this twenty twelve movie. Hansei, are you ready?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have sex and Jannis and Randall and Steve and Brody all saying Hunger Games. Hansi is saying the one with.
Speaker 3: Attribute, which is which is right?
Speaker 1: Which is correct?
Speaker 2: Answer is the hungry game? The Hungry Games features canness everything who's played give it to me.
Speaker 11: I'll be thankful, and you guys won't be any off anywhorse off.
Speaker 2: Who's played by Jennifer Lawrence using archery equipment in a dystopian uni. According to a twenty sixteen report, approximately half of the girl archers surveyed said that they were influenced by the movie to take up the sport. USA Archery CEO called it their gott Milk campaign for the archery industry. Question seventeen. The topic is fishing. This river, which is the second longest tributary to the Mississippi, flows through states like Colorado and Oklahoma. This river, which is the second longest tributary to the Mississippi, flows through states like Colorado and Oklahoma. This is question seventeen, Yiannest, Do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Pretty sure?
Speaker 2: Okay? Brody also seems confident as well as Randall. Seth has not picked up his board.
Speaker 6: That's a hint.
Speaker 3: But then maybe I didn't enough chit chat.
Speaker 2: Have you hunted this river yet? Don't answer it? Come on, Seth, I think we are waiting on you to tell us the second longest tributary to the Mississippi.
Speaker 5: Shoot.
Speaker 1: I don't know that helps.
Speaker 2: It actually erases the bad word you said when you say, oh, shoot, I meant Steve. Are you changing an answer?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 1: Just yeah, okay? But yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, this river, which is the second longest tributary to the Mississippi, if they.
Speaker 3: Changed it to the right saying that thing dragged out forever like.
Speaker 2: Colorado and yeah, there's no hits didn't fish it.
Speaker 3: Come on, let's go.
Speaker 2: It didn't land, honest, Steve got it. No, No, I know some people it didn't land. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying platt Yannis saying plant, Randalls saying platte Hansei saying Missouri, Steve saying Arkansas. He's saying Arkansas, and Steve crossed out the plant.
Speaker 3: He said, like.
Speaker 2: Our causes. The correct answer is the Arkansas River, sons and got boy, I think At fourteen hundred miles, the Arkansas River is the sixth longest river in the United States and forty fifth longest river in the world. It's rocky mountains and it flows through Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas before dumping into the Mississippi. The river's watershed extends all the way into New Mexico, Texas and Missouri.
Speaker 8: Would you stop saying states like we.
Speaker 2: Could we could make that change if these states, you know what, that's that's a good that's a good critique. We can fix that, such as question eighteen. The topic is woodsmanship. This next great question was sent to us by Shallon Teache. What navigational term refers to the angle of difference between magnetic north and true north?
Speaker 1: Steve?
Speaker 2: Steve thinks it's a race. He's very confident.
Speaker 1: This could be the end of me.
Speaker 2: Brody is ready to have his obituary written for trivia.
Speaker 8: Gods having such a strong game, dude, I mean like it started out week, you know, and it got strong.
Speaker 2: Here we are. What navigational term refers to the angle of difference between magnetic north and true north?
Speaker 1: That forestry school of year, Seth, They probably did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Johannis and Seth have not picked up their boards. Randal just now coming up and answered, Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: I uh, I don't think so.
Speaker 8: I'd like to talk about who should know it, Brody?
Speaker 2: He is pointing at Brody.
Speaker 3: Writing about it at one point.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, Brody, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: I have an answer. I just don't know if it's a complete answer.
Speaker 8: I swear to God, I won't touch my board. Let me shuit you wrote.
Speaker 2: No, Hansei, do you have an answer. Is it the right answer?
Speaker 3: There's there's a chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, HANSI look at you here in the final six of Meat Eater Trivia. Wish we should acknowledge how exciting that is.
Speaker 3: Still a good time I have having a good time.
Speaker 6: There's no pressure. There's been no pressure on the side of the time. I mean, when you've already.
Speaker 8: Lost, you're like, it's your sailing.
Speaker 2: I guess what navigational term refers to the angle of difference between magnetic north and true north. Be honest, do you have an answer yet?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: This is question eighteen. I mean, after this we only have two questions left.
Speaker 6: I'm starting to feel a little better about my answer. But there's just no payoff.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, Steve, Steve could terribly falter here We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil.
Speaker 8: No, I can still falter, sure, but I'm just happy, Like even if I lose, I'm just happy that I've that I've you know, gotten in there, held my own. You know, you can be like guy like true guy like randall over here, you know, big time winner and all that, but then when the when, when it counts, you know what I mean, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the problem is he's a rookie, Steve. He wasn't here for the tournament last year. He didn't he wasn't involved in the high stakes of the twenty twenty two tournament. This is where your veterans put.
Speaker 8: It to you.
Speaker 1: Like golf.
Speaker 8: So you got a guy that, uh always does really good at golf.
Speaker 2: It'll be good, yeah, always just good at golf.
Speaker 8: And then he gets the final championship and.
Speaker 6: He doesn't do good at golf.
Speaker 2: You know what that is?
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it's right?
Speaker 2: What an analogy?
Speaker 1: Brody?
Speaker 2: Do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: I have an answer, but I don't think it's right.
Speaker 2: Honest, do you have an answer? Are you going to come up with an answer? I'm not going to go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Giannis without answers. Randall saying declination, Hansi saying declination, Steve saying declination, Brody saying drift. The correct answer is declination or magnetic variation.
Speaker 6: Put your boards in, guys.
Speaker 2: You can determine declination by using a map or declination chart. If your compass needle is clockwise of true north, then you have a positive declination. If your compass needle is counterclockwise of true north, then you have a negative declination. Declination tends to be more variable the closer you get to the magnetic pull.
Speaker 8: Yeah, people write it off, but you get up. You get up. Like around in the Brooks range, you could have a declination in the twenties. Sure, you could like seriously miss something and a storm can change.
Speaker 2: It changes by the year, so your maps could be on a date.
Speaker 8: Let me tell you a little tidbit. Yes, periodically throughout geologic history, the magnetic poles have switched. There have been times your compass would have pointed south. It's inexplicable why it happens. But when they were still trying to solve the mystery of seafloor spreading and continental drift, they would find these crystallized minerals that would come out of rifts in the bottom of the ocean. And you could go back in time on the same place where seafloor spreading is occurring. It's spreading two directions. You can go back in time and look and these parallel strips of magnetic south, magnetic north, magnetic south magnetic north as it switches inexplicably. Put that in your like when I host this show, that's gonna be a lot of stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good.
Speaker 2: Are you familiar with the show Doomsday Preppers? Have you ever heard of them? It's like these people who show off their prepping for the end of all times, and they always present the scenario that they're preparing for why they think the world is going to end, right. It could be a pandemic, could be a third World war, very common, not not very common. One that people bring up is the pole switching. I'd be like a Y two K scenario. Then it's gonna mess everything up, throw us into chaos. Phil, we have two questions left. Where does the leaderboard stand?
Speaker 5: Hansi has seven points, Yes, Jannis and Seth have ten randalls eleven. But unfortunately it is not enough to continue, and we have to say goodbye two of those four players, to all.
Speaker 3: Of them, all of them not looking good for me.
Speaker 8: Like a it's like a more brody Hendry, like late Shift at the Morgue. It was just like the one guy they.
Speaker 1: Day careful, take this table and throw it across the whole room.
Speaker 8: Was a line about coffin shaped table at the war.
Speaker 6: Katie said, how can you be.
Speaker 1: Which board.
Speaker 2: Steve found extra just.
Speaker 8: The chestise and she didn't like it, just like the chest.
Speaker 5: Brody has thirteen points and Steve is in first place with fifteen. So Steve would have to really trip up and Brody would have to bring it.
Speaker 1: Oh, that could happen.
Speaker 2: Question nineteen. The topic is cooking. This female name refers to in a steak is served with a pant sauce that's often made of mustard, kgnac cream and mushrooms. What this female name refers to in a steak is served with a pant sauce that's often made of mustard, koniak cream and mushrooms. Randall and Brody are confident. Things would get very confident interesting if Brody could get this right now, I think ste could ge girl.
Speaker 1: Mom's name.
Speaker 6: I had this for dinner three months ago.
Speaker 2: There is a hint, and Brody is so confident. I didn't even finish the question and he had come up with an answer. This female name refers to any steak is served with a pan sauce that's often made of mustard, koonyak cream and mushrooms.
Speaker 3: How long we're gonna give him?
Speaker 2: Well, Steve, are you doing this for the drama or you Actually.
Speaker 8: I honestly don't know the answer. Okay, it's a little bit messing me up. That was just when I was talking about faltering.
Speaker 2: It would be incredible that I don't know it would I would be very satisfied.
Speaker 1: How much would you pay for this board?
Speaker 2: You'd be very satisfied if it would make it more interesting. The question, yes, this female name refers to a steak is served with a pan sauce that's often made of mustard, cognac cream and mushrooms. And I'll tell you this. If we go to a tie breaker, we are going to do three tie breakers. It will be the best of those three to declare a winner. You're not good ahead, we are very thorough as an answer, we're declaring a twenty twenty three champion, Steve, I think we are waiting on you. It is.
Speaker 1: I know it is, dude.
Speaker 8: It's just it's like.
Speaker 2: It's not even last shifted the Morgan anymore. The morgue is closed. Is what's just happened here? It is silent.
Speaker 6: You're the only person working at the morgue.
Speaker 1: This go on, man, ask consciousness, Steve.
Speaker 2: Are you going to come up with an answer?
Speaker 8: The problem is I know it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: Can I just get the point?
Speaker 1: I just can't.
Speaker 8: I just can't think of it right now?
Speaker 2: Are you going to come up with an answer?
Speaker 8: I have wonder.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying Heather Yanna saying Diane. Randall's saying Diane HANSI out of what's that? Say Steve, Steve saying.
Speaker 3: My old girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Brody saying Diane, he got it. The correct answer is Diane.
Speaker 8: Dude, listen, I knew it. I have never heard that.
Speaker 1: You've never misteak Diana never.
Speaker 2: Some say the recipe is named after the goddess Diana and was first served with venison. Others believe it was created for English actress Lady Diana Cooper and was made with beef. If you want to learn how to make it with waterfowl, then check out our recipe on the meat eater dot Com called snow Goose Steak Diane. We are on too question twenty, with Brody losing to Steve by one point. We would need Brody to get this right, Steve to get this wrong to go to our three question tie breaker.
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 2: The topic is conservation. What is the name of America's largest aquifer, which stretches from South Dakota to Texas. It seems as though Steve has it right.
Speaker 8: It's over.
Speaker 2: A thousand percent. There's no chance you got this wrong. Here's the question again, what is the name of America's largest aquifer which stretches from South Dakota to Texas? Brody All, Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure? Okay, I mean stress.
Speaker 4: I think there's only one real had laid down.
Speaker 5: That was like we were at the morgue, but one of the bodies that was dead is actually still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at least we made it a good one.
Speaker 2: I would really like to know this, really like to go hold on, Yanni ready we are Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Randall?
Speaker 2: Do you have an answer?
Speaker 10: I do?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers were saying Mississippi water end. John is saying great, Randall's saying ogalala, Hansi saying oglala, Steve saying ok lala, and Brody saying, oh.
Speaker 8: Said, dare try to question what I have written down?
Speaker 1: Do you dare?
Speaker 8: Try to put like someone of doubt knowledge and writing on the correct answer.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is the og Laala Aquifer or the High Planes Aquifer. At one hundred and seventy four thousand square miles, the og Lala Aquifer is one of the biggest aquifers in the world. It covers portions of South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas.
Speaker 1: Were just sweating, man.
Speaker 2: We just had Steve shake Brodie's hand, which Brody offered up first one.
Speaker 1: Champion falling upon Steve right now. I started out.
Speaker 2: Let's recap his release is like palpable.
Speaker 1: Let's recap.
Speaker 8: I started out where I wasn't doing that good. Brody started out real strong, you know. Then I slowly, slowly caught up, and then I started to just dominate, and then I faltered. But then I recovered.
Speaker 1: You didn't stick to your game plan. No wins.
Speaker 2: A win made it interesting. The twenty twenty three Meat Eater Trivia champion, Steve goodwell done. We've had less Steve this year. It's harder to get this guy on a schedule to come play, but he wins when he does show up, and now he's the twenty twenty three champion.
Speaker 8: Put that on my grave.
Speaker 2: He wins when he shows up. He wins when he shows up, and he's a sore winner. It's a full headstone. I don't think we can fit anything else on there.
Speaker 1: Steve.
Speaker 2: We will get your name on this plank as the champion, and you get to choose where the two thousand dollars donation from meat Eater goes. What's it gonna be, tough choice, biggest donation in meat Eater trivia history.
Speaker 1: We'll give you a time. Make it fun.
Speaker 8: We just blew a lot of money, not blue. We just raised a lot in our with our land Access initiative. We just raised a good pot of money for a land acquisition project on the Lori Yellowstone. And that dwindled the stock. That dwindled the pool. So I and I know we have some other uh projects that cow's eyeball in. So what I would like to do is I would like to put my winnings into the land Access initiative.
Speaker 2: It's probably the first two thousand dollars in there now of whatever is going to be our next project.
Speaker 1: Right So yep.
Speaker 8: So in the past, we've contributed on a project in Maine. We contributed on a project in northwest Montana. We contributed on a project in eastern Montana, and I would like to kick the money in there for that reason.
Speaker 2: We don't know what project. We don't know what project for would be quite yet, but the LA I still going no no end in sight, right.
Speaker 8: Some dude just dropped off a healthy donation today without even buying a oh auction item.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, good on five thousand bucks. Whoa drove it over? Yeah, they're coming out to el Cor handy cash or what no check o?
Speaker 2: That's great?
Speaker 10: But yeah, he felt really good about it. His company donates every quarter, and he felt like this was great because he could it was just very tangible, could really see the results of his money.
Speaker 2: Phil, could you humor me and tell me a full leaderboard update at the end of the game to see we're second, third, fourth?
Speaker 1: Just how bad Steve?
Speaker 5: I mean, ramble up a little bit. Ramdall got thirteen points, only three behind Steve at sixteen seven?
Speaker 1: Wrong. So would I have.
Speaker 6: Won that that that game?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: You, I've got nine points that game, So I think.
Speaker 1: Let's not call it that game.
Speaker 8: I think that it was made quite clear that it was its own, that it was not that game.
Speaker 9: There's one look at that game.
Speaker 8: The last that game.
Speaker 1: No, you lost that game, well by a lot.
Speaker 6: The game the game that Cal wasn't here for.
Speaker 1: The game that my.
Speaker 8: Mind saying is Cal left early in the game, which you then.
Speaker 6: Lost, so he lost. He left halfway through.
Speaker 8: The game, the one you know, you know, the game, the one you lost.
Speaker 6: We won, We won the second half.
Speaker 2: Team exciting would have been if you got a perfect game and still lost the champions.
Speaker 8: If a football team, let's say a football team. I put a team in sports understand and at halftime football team is losing one hundred to zero. Yeah, and then the second half they win a touchdown, they would they say, oh, yeah, we won that game. No, they lost, They lost a hundred at the end of the seventh The coach would they would not go we won that game.
Speaker 9: The coach was these broken, inconsolable youth, and he'd say, guys, it was a rough one, but we won the second half, and if we get them again, I think we can win both.
Speaker 1: They might say.
Speaker 4: If the ref came at the beginning of the game and said, hey, instead of playing a whatever four quarter game, we're gonna play an eight quarter. Games could be twice as long as it normally is they might be like, well, the second half was actually a real game.
Speaker 1: We would have won that one.
Speaker 2: Next year, we'll go to thirtyctions with your golf.
Speaker 6: I just thought it was I thought it was a neat observation.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you pointing it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, the honest I'm left hard points.
Speaker 6: I'm heartened by my relative success.
Speaker 5: I had head eight.
Speaker 8: How long is it gonna take you to get that little name to deal?
Speaker 5: I lose by one or two, Phil, he lost by one point, Brody, I don't have an.
Speaker 3: Answering about that all year.
Speaker 8: Do you get to hang it in your office area?
Speaker 2: No, we'll hang it right in here somewhere. We'll find the appropriate wall space. Where would you like it, Steve? Would you like it to remind people every time they watched the show? Right?
Speaker 8: Put it on the door, right above the fulsome point hang it.
Speaker 2: We'll hang it above a journal and you can always be me.
Speaker 8: My Hearfell Custer is above the right. I'd like to hang it right by right above my head.
Speaker 1: There you're what Custer?
Speaker 8: You don't know what's when you're taking a leak down the hall? That here fell Custer.
Speaker 1: The giant painting I just didn't understand what you said. You said here fell I have they.
Speaker 8: Caught one right and to stern them.
Speaker 2: This is now turned into something else. The twenty twenty three champion Steve, well done next time. Yeah, Steve or Yanni started some clapping, but I don't think we ever got to.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure, yeah, I'm clapping for everybody and me.
Speaker 10: Conservation should also clap for Spencer for hosting another.
Speaker 1: For the second half. We know to his credit.
Speaker 8: If if someone had put down early I'm talking about the earlier episode. Okay, just to revisit, probably one of your biggest mistakes first captain, but if here's why, I'm gonna give you credits, because I think you would have given the player credit. If what I think that if the answer was l Cappington and someone had written down to the captain, I like to thank you had given it to him. So if that's the case, I would extend that courtesy to you. He would saying State's like is just not good.
Speaker 2: It'll be fixed. Listen twenty twenty four. You'll never hear that phrasing again. Well, hosts like Spencer are so good what they do. Thank you, It's excusable sometimes join us next time for more Meat Eatter Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.