Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Gilty of Charge podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always. In joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's up, man? How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know, not doing too bad, Steven. I personally am doing well, although I am preparing for what could be the roughest, toughest Chargers Raiders game to watch since nineteen ninety eight, where apparently both teams played two quarterbacks and there it was a barn burner of a game and the Raiders won seven to six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully we get a little bit more of an entertaining game this week, but you know, not too dissimilar situations for mister Easton Stick and Aidan O'Connell both being fifth round draft picks. Obviously Easton Stick has been in the league for quite some time at this point. But we'll get to that game in a second here. Obviously, we'll have some news to break down regarding the quarterback behind Tyler's right shoulder, mister Justin Herbert, And then we'll have some things that I've into about the Chargers loss and the Broncos and we'll just kind of zoom out, as we like to do on this show, and look at kind of where the Chargers are at a as a franchise right now, being five and eight. Playoff hopes basically done for at this point, depending on which model you're looking at, it's basically a round one or two percent, you know, after that loss to the Broncos. So we'll have some good conversations and then we are going to talk about mister Easton Stick and how the Chargers can kind of take advantage of this month remaining of the season with him at quarterback, and how they can potentially build a successful offense. So we'll get to all of that here in a second. As always, Tyler and I are fans of the team just like you guys are. We are very fortunate to have this platform. It's kind of crazy to look back at at how fast this season had has gone by with one month remaining. We obviously, you know, started becoming on this feed as of April and here we are in December with one month left. So it's been a super fun ride for the two of us being on this channel. We can't thank you guys enough for the support. That being said, the opinions that we share on this show are just that they are our opinions first and foremost. They are not the opinions of the Chargers organization. We are independent contract We are independent content creators, and hopefully you guys have enjoyed our experience on the show. But Tyler, kind of crazy to think about and speak out loud, you know, one month left in the season, looking back to our first show on the channel and that being the draft episode and things like that, kind of crazy. How fast time flies?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our first episode was a mock draft the week of the draft, and it's December eleventh as of recording, and we're currently looking ahead to the next draft as well. But you know, draft season sometimes never stops. Of course, Alex Katson on our channel doing work in that regard as well. But yeah, it was quick. We spent the whole summer just going please get to the season, and polease get to the season, please get And this season it's week fifteen, Like what happened? I don't know, I don't know what happened, but suddenly we are here at the basically the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like being content creators, like you're always working on stuff, so the season always goes by faster, you know, as opposed to just like you know, when I am like looking at like University of Utah football, I'm like, man like, season's kind of dragging on right now. So it is funny.
Speaker 2: Even the Utah fan, by the way, for nobody that.
Speaker 1: You didn't, Yeah, if you're just listening to the show, you.
Speaker 2: Know that I'm joking. Everybody knows your Utah fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody knows. You know, I was treating about Utah women's basketball the other day, so you know, it is what It is, cool, all right, guys. That being said, unfortunate news for for the charges, obviously, with Justin Herbert and his injury. Brandon Statey said this morning Monday that he was going to talk to two different specialists get two different opinions, and about two hours ago as of recording this, Adam Schefter tweeted out that he is going to undergo surgery on his index finger. While the specific timeline has not been released just yet, that likely takes him out of the final four games of the season. You know, I'm sure Justin is really trying to do everything he can to get back out there for the team, he said just as much. He has one of the longest streaks in the league of consecutive games started ever since. He obviously took over for mister Tarrod Taylor in Week two against the Kansas City Chiefs. And I'm sure he would like, you know, that streak to stay intact. I think everybody would like that street to stay intact. As it currently stands, there's five healthy quarterbacks in the AFC out of sixteen teams. It's just kind of crazy right now. So Justin herbert finger injury unfortunately seems like it's going to knock him out for the rest of the season. Here. But Tyler, what's kind of your your thoughts about mister Justin Herbert being out for the final four games?
Speaker 2: That it sucks and that it's terrible. This is Justin Herbert's fourth notable injury that he's sustained over the last two years. You've got the fractured rib cartilage, You've got the torn labram, injured left hand, injured right hand. He's been to the Blue medical tent several other times.
Speaker 1: So it sucks.
Speaker 2: I mean, you want to see Justin Herbert out there, and you know it's unfamiliar territory for Chargers fans. We've had Philip Rivers, then Torod Taylor for one game, and then Justin Herbert. Like there's really just it's been consistency at the quarterback position. That's really what it's been for the Chargers for two decades now. And to see him out is such a bummer. Doesn't look like he's playing against the Raiders, And as everyone kind of speculated, it's not like it's not looking like he's going to play this season. Of course he'll try to. If there's any random experimental, sciencey thing out there that he can find to get himself on the field, I'm sure he'd look into it.
Speaker 1: But it's just.
Speaker 2: I agree with Daniel Popper what he said about the most important thing is your most important asset, and that is Justin Herbert. And in a season where at this point you have one percent or less than one percent chance of making the postseason, and that's before you have to play games with East and stick no offense, you got to do it's best for your quarterback and your best asset. You know, on the one hand, you want your quarterback to be out there, you want any player to be out there and you want them to be healthy at the same time, Like this pass protection as it currently stands is unacceptable and it's a complete failure from top down, from personnel department to coaches to players. They couldn't pick up a free rusher in week one and they still can't pick up a free rusher in Week fourteen. The Broncos had They had thirty pressures all together, but eleven or twelve of them were just on blitzes and free rushes, and I believe there are six different sacks in that game.
Speaker 1: It was rough.
Speaker 2: You know, it sucks. Injuries suck, but like just seeing Herbert go down, it's more. I don't know if fans feel the same with if you feel the same way, it just feels more frustrating. It's kind of infuriating when it happens to someone like the quarterback like Justin Herbert. You know, he's the guy that's always out there and carrying the team on his back, and more games than not, they're only really in the hunt or in the game because of Justin Herbert, and for the line and the coaches and the scheme and whatever to both not give him a run game all season and then just in general, no pass protection. It's kind of infuriating because he's doing everything he possibly can and now you can just see too, especially at the beginning of that Broncos game, that it's just starting to take a toll on his mind. It's been taking a toll on his body all these hits, all of the free rushers, et cetera. But now now it's just kind of altering. Things are just a bit off, right, Throws are just a bit off. He's missing by just a little bit, and there's nothing stable around him, and he's trying to learn his eighth offense and you know, as many seasons practically, it's tough right now for him. So it's a long winded way of saying, I obviously would love for him to be healthy. I'd love for him to be out there, but what seems to be now a lost season. Do its best for your most important asset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the specifically, you know, this being an issue with his throwing hand. The reports were that he was really struggling to grip a football, you know, in the locker room at halftime when they were trying to evaluate if he could go back into the game. And I'm sure he pushed to even go continue to play, even you know, struggling to grip a football. I mean, you know, Justin Herbert, for everything that was like said about him after the draft, like, toughness has never once been any kind of concern of mine. This guy obviously take on linebackers on the sideline. I mean the Jerry Tillery thing where he hits him out of bounds and the entire team is, you know, going after him and Justin comes out of the pile and he's just laughing and skipping on the sideline. Obviously, the rib thing last year, right, like one of the most incredible thing, incredible feats of toughness I have ever seen on the football field is Justin Herbert struggling so much to run that he had to actively like fling the football down and then two plays later just threw a dot to DeAndre Carter like fifty five sixty yards in the air. Like Justin Herbert's toughness should never be in question. Like there was a tweet that kind of went rival yesterday of like you mentioned the injuries that he's kind of dealt with, and people are like, oh, like so now you're saying Justin Herbert is injury prone and that could not be further from the truth, because he's playing through these things and he will do everything he can to play through those things. So and for him to miss games, you know, it has to be a serious thing. You know. This man played through a rib injury that, according to Stefani bellv ESPN, should have sidelined him for a month, and he played through it. And he played through a torn labor m to the point where nobody even really knew about it outside of the Chargers building. And this is who Justin Herbert is. He's going to give it his all as long as he can. It's part of the reason why the Chargers have wisely invested in him the way that they have, you know, it's why he has earned that contract. Obviously, all the statistics and things like that, but he embodies everything that you want in a franchise quarterback. He basically lives at the facility, studies his butt off in terms of film study, prepares, is a gym rat. All of this stuff have been verified by several people within the building, and it just is you know, it's going to be really frustrating for him to miss these games. For his teammates even with the team being five and eight, And that's the kind of player that you want leading your franchise. A guy that's just going to be gutted missing games in what is essentially a last season, and that's who Justin Herbert is. And I think it's outstanding that he is our quarterback. That being said, like you you mentioned, the Chargers as a franchise as an organization have to do better supporting their franchise quarterback. And it's going to be more difficult now that he is going to be a much more expensive quarterback. So you're going to have to put in double the amount of time on the attention to detail aspect of football. Whether you are a personnel person, an assistant coach, a player alongside Justin Herbert, it's just the nature of the Beast. Everybody has to raise their level after you get that contract extension. And Khalip Mack talked about this after the game. Clion Mack mentioned that he feels like there are certain players that are truly on all in on this season even with the frustrations, and there have been other players who are not all the way in on this season, and Khalil Mack absolutely has earned the right in the NFL to say things like that, he's half a sack away from one hundred sacks for his career. He's a defensive Player of the Year candidate, He's played through injuries. He's setting the tone, and that is unacceptable for where you are hoping to get to. Like, we're going to talk about the team as a whole right now, and you have these leaders setting the bar, specifically justin Herbert keenan Au and Khalu Mack and others have to come up and meet them. And that's not the case right now. And that goes from players, coaches, and it's just it's why the team is five and eight, Like we want to talk about why the team is not making the playoffs, Like people are not rising to the level that their leaders are setting. And that's a big problem. And it's not just an individual problem, it's a whole organizational problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with you there. I don't know when a good time is to be open to the media and say that, hey, I feel that some guys are understanding what needs to happen and some younger guys are not. But I am glad that Khalil Mack said that whether this is you know, his last year, where he's got one more year, two more years with this team, whatever, you know, we respect so much what Khalim Mack brings off the field as a leader and setting the standards, and he's got every right to say it. There's you tell me who the top three players and the Chargers are this year. I think Kalim Mack is arguably number one because of what he's accomplished this season. And the other kind of veteran guy, the other quote unquote old guy on the team, Keenan Allen, is the other person continuing to set the standard, you know, for what things should be. So it's not that anyone saying that, you know, the Chargers other players are lazy or they don't aren't invested in football or whatever. But they need to then or coaches whoever, they need to put it together on the field. And like you said, they need to get it together for let's say, Justin Herbert or four Khaloomack or four Keyen it out. It can't be this. You know, four guys are kind of holding it together and everything else just would fall apart without them. Everybody needs to come together. You know random, but like I don't know who on the Ravens is like their quote unquote like Big four leaders or whatever. But like you could tell in that game, for example, against the Rams, like it did take several different players rising to the occasion and becoming a bit more of themselves. And even if it was just one play like Tylan Wallace walk off punt return for a touchdown, yeah, but like it requires things like that in order to win those tough games, and it just seems to be. It just seems to be the difference between the Charges being five and eight versus in playoff contention.
Speaker 1: Now that's a perfect example because Tyland Wallace isn't even their main punt returner. Devid Dubernhall, who's been to the Pro Bowl as a return specialist, is injured right now, and so Tylan Wallace is stepping into that. You know, the Ravens lost Kyle Hamilton, who absolutely destroy the Chargers a couple of weeks ago. He's one of the most impressive players I've studied this season, and so other guys have to raise that level. There's so many cliches in football, but the next man up mentality is a real thing. And if you are able to instill that into every player on the team, then everybody is ready for the occasion. Like we're going to see what Easton Stick's mentality has been like. You know, every backup quarterback says they prepare like they're always the starter. We're going to see what that looks like. But you lose Mike Williams and Josh Palmer was absolutely ready to step into that role and figure it out, and he played awesome until he also got injured. You know, you have the JC Jackson situation, and nobody really came kind of up to meet that next level at the cornerback spot. You know, Alohi Gillman misses a couple games and you don't really have that guy to come in and step up at that next level. Joey Bosa has obviously been injured. Tully has met and exceeded that level. Quick shout out for him. He's joined an elite company list, becoming one of six rookie ed rushers in the PFF era to hit forty total pressures and twenty run stops. So we've talked a lot about too Lee. He deserves a lot of credit for his rookie season and he's joining some elite company, but across the board, you have to have that kind of mentality. Corey Linsley steps out, Will Clap steps in, great. Will Clap's doing a good job. But when you lose these guys, it's not just the next man up mentality. Everybody around them has to raise their level of play. And I think that's been an issue with the team. You know, we'll get to some specific things here in a minute, but it's just it just feels like the level of urgency is not always there. I feel that from the leaders. I feel that's from some specific players, but you look at these other teams around the league that are handling these kind of these kind of injuries, and it feels like, Okay, you're missing your right tackle, you're missing a Lanehnson, Okay, Jason Kelsey raises his play, joining my lot of raises his play. Stuff like that just doesn't feel like it's happening outside of like the core four leaders on this Chargers franchise right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is definitely a topic of conversation for the off season as well. But no, I completely agree with you there, and then well.
Speaker 1: Said, hey, guys, VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on Location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL on location dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location, so getting to do some specific things I think you know for me, and I don't know where you land on this when you're looking at like reasons why the Chargers are five and eight and not eight and five, for example, or seven and six or whatever. There are six, seven and six teams in the AFC right now that the conference is kind of a whole cluster together, but the Charger is specifically like when you look at the whole season for like commonalities, I think that that aspect of offensive line protection and not even necessarily like the group, like the individuals, but from like a scheme and coaching standpoint, they have struggled with these blitz packages all season long, and that's just something that is inexcusable in modern football when you have a guy like Justin Herbert. And so for me, when I look at, like, you know, reasons why the team has maybe kind of underachieved a little bit. When you have one specific thing that you struggle with the entire season and it's never addressed, I think that's a big reason why you have some of these issues. And it's really been in these key moments, like Justin Herbert from a national medium narrative perspective, is getting crushed for his inability to lead clutch drives when he's not even really getting chances in these key moments because you know, these defensive coordinators have figured out like, hey, the Chargers can't really handle these simulated pressures, these designer blitz packages, and if we call them in key moments, we're gonna get home. Whether that is Dan Quinn on the Cowboys, whether that was Vic Fangio with the I almost said Denver Broncos the Miami Dolphins, whether it's Vance Joseph on Sunday with the Denver Broncos. It's been an issue all season long, and it's not like this is a trend that's going away, Like it's not like, Okay, we're just struggling with this one team, this one specific issue. The simulated pressures are kind of like the defensive meta right now in the league, and anybody who does them is kind of elevating their team. And Steve Spagnolo, of course, is one of those guys as well. And it's a key reason why the Charges offense has really failed to meet those preseason expectations because they haven't come together and figured out how to stop these free rushers from ruining their offensive game plans every single week.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a surprise. I know, Brandon Staley, he's not in all of the offense and meetings and in charge of everything on the offense, but sure, say what you want about the defense and the struggles this season. Brandon Staley can drop a really good blitz and a really good rush plan and give Smith Jay Rodgers that these guys can send quite a bit at you, and the Charges have had personnel to do that. So it's a surprise then to see the Chargers not be able to pick this up. And initially, you know, I think you and I and a lot of fans give a lot of grace to this issue because you lose Corey Linsley, So like, no matter what, you're not going to be better, right, Like, it's not going to suddenly get better, it's gonna get worse.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But it's been a few weeks, it's been twelve weeks since Week three, and you know, nothing has really changed. They did much better in that Vikings game, of course, but you have someone like, you know, you Mike Williams to throw to, you had Corey Lindsley, Like, I don't know what is going on. I really don't, because it's the exact same things over and over again, and it's not going to get any better. You know, the Raiders otherwise, who, by the way, are playing really good defense right now. I don't think the Broncos are going to change up their game plan just because you don't have your starting quarterback in the Chiefs you know are not going to do anything different. They have plenty of linebackers they can rotate through, in safeties they can rotate through. I'm I don't know which one has stopped the Chargers more from being more effective and winning more games this season, but it definitely has affected them in games versus and like the GODA happit games and the games versus contenders, the games in the moments, the drives against teams where hey, if you beat this team, you can really be in consideration for this. Or if Justin Herbert, if jo Justin Herbert gets that one more game winning drive, you know, he could be considered clutch or whatever. But every single time, I'm curious too, you know, maybe you can look more into this as more of an offensive line guy. I'm just curious, like to step back at the end of this season and just look at, Okay, every single quarterback hit or sack in the fourth quarter or whatever it is, Like, what is the common reason? Is there one? I don't know, But like you said, these guys, whoever it is, they need to step up. You know, Joshua Kelly, if you're being called in there to go, look, they're saying, hey, Eckler, we're going to reduce the roll a bit, so someone's got to step up. So you go, Joshua Kelly, you're in there. You can't give up the two pressures, you know, you can't. These guys in Spiller and Kelly, I think I both said they loved past protection drills in camp, but it doesn't really paid off. I don't think it certainly had not paid off this season, especially when Eckler was out. It was not great at all. So guys got to step up. I think like Zion Johnson had zero pressures in this game, that's great, but then like everybody else had six or four or six. It's just you know, the unit's got to step up together, and it's frustrating. So, you know, gave it grace because of injuries Corey Linsley obviously some good defenses in there, but it's been a week to week to week to week to week two week thing and then oh hey there's something positive and then issue issue, issue, issue isue every you know, every now and then where the positive moments are just outliers and it's it is truly baffling, you know. I think Duke Manyweather tried to rationalize maybe what's going on, but flat out he just said, like, the regression is across the board, and it's a bit of a surprise to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm looking up games in which Justin Herbert has been pressured more than forty percent on the season, and forty percent is a that's that's bad that you don't like, that's that's not ideal, Like I think anything over thirty percent to me is kind of like, Okay, we had some issues this game, and we kind of struggled today. We had a bad day. So Justin Herbert was pressured more than forty percent of his dropbacks seven games this season, and three of those games were more than fifty percent. And in total, right now, they're hovering around thirty thirty six percent pressure percentage on Justin Herbert dropbacks, which is almost as bad as the unit in twenty twenty. And to me, that's just that's just unacceptable based off of what we felt about that specific group with all the injuries, and what we feel about this group with you know, Trey excuse mean, Rashaan Slater has had his ankle injuries and Corey Lindsay has been out, but other than that, they've been healthy, like Rashawn has still been playing these games. So to have that kind of offensive line output, and it's again it's not even really like fully offensive line related, Like it's not individuals. So much of this is game plan specific and like how are we managing these situations? And it's been an issue since Week one. Seven games that Justin Herbert has played this season, he has been pressured more than forty percent of his dropbacks, and that to me is you we can talk about like everything else, you know, from a defense perspective, everything like that, from an offensive perspective, they have not reached expectations, and that to me is the biggest issue that has to be changed going forward, because you can't have Justin Herbert being pressured like that and expect him to be performing at these kind of levels. Like we Quarterbacks can't function if they can't even get plays off, and so forty percent that's what you're talking about. You're talking about a guy who cannot get the plays off, and we've seen that far too many times this season.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize it was twenty twenty bad. It was, I believe, close to what Rivers was going through in like twenty fourteen when they he had the bulging disc in his back due to the injuries and hits through that season. But just looking through the list of players from the twenty twenty season, all respect to these guys, but this twenty twenty three line is should be better. If you've told me, comparing investment and outlook for one versus what they had in twenty twenty. There's no way you can think these are two of the same lines in terms of past protection. But I mean, again respect to these guys and what they did, but just going through the names like Scott Questenberry Blogga in and out of the lineup, Storm Norton, Forest Lamp, Sam Tevy Cole Toner, Ryan Groy, Dan Feenie, Trade Turner, Trey Pipkins. Obviously Tyree Saint louis like, sorry, if you told me to look at these two guys two lines, you'd go easily with the twenty twenty three line. So to hear that these players are not performing and are actually looking kind of like the twenty twenty line is to me a strong indictment against the coaching and the preparation so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the good news, if you want like silver lining, is that, in my opinion, these issues are correctable. It's just the attention to detail of the coaching staff has to completely ratchet up to another level. And you know, it's easier said than done, But you look at what Frank Smith was able to get out of the twenty twenty one unit again with Michael Schofield injuries at right guard. Odiabushi was the starter, Michael Scofield came in four games in, Brian Blogo was the Week one starter that lasted a half, and then Storm Norton came in. Trey Pipkins also started some games that year. You had a rookie left tackle, a great one, but still a rookie left tackle, and that unit was allowed pressure on Justin Herbert around thirty percent, which is an above average percentage in my opinion. At this point, anything about thirty five is completely unacceptable when you're talking about protecting your most important asset, your starting quarterback, your franchise guy that you're invested in until twenty twenty nine. So in terms of the priorities in the off season, whatever the case to be, coaches, personnel, players, everybody needs to come together and ensure that we are not talking about this at that point next year. I believe from a personnel standpoint that the charters have the guys necessary to do that. Corey Lindsay's status TVD, we don't know. They're obviously hoping, you know, for a recovery from the issues that he's dealing with. But Rashwan Zion Jamari and Trey They're gonna be here next year. They're all around here long term. They've invested in Jordan McFadden as kind of a key backup there. They like Foster Surrell. The core for the most part of this offensive line is gonna be here next season. And I believe that they can turn this around. I do. I genuinely believe that. I've believed in this talent. I believe in this group. I believe in the physicality and toughness that they can play with. For Shawn Slater playing with a double high inclose spraying for six weeks, are you kidding me? Like the talent and the will is there, they just need to get the right pieces together and have it all click together. And I think that we should not have this problem again next season.
Speaker 2: I would agree it's the Chargers. I know a lot of fans want to go through and just suggest to making, you know, pretty sizable changes along this offensive line, at least at a couple of spots, But the Chargers don't have that luxury. You know, we'll get into the off season in this roster, and especially when we get a free agency we'll see who's here and who's back and who's not but the Chargers don't really have the luxury of going like they have to find a way to maximize these rookie contracts for like a Jamari Sallier and fora Zion Johnson and to let that work for them. They can't just go and spend, you know, eight million dollars a year on another guard because they want to upgrade there. Maybe they do, and I guess I would understand it. They st you're trying to put something better out there, but you can't afford that that leaves corner, receiver, edge, safety, tight end like you have too many other things to solve. So this office on line has got to figure it out. And I agree though I agree with you that I do believe they can. We've seen it, like last year, a lot of these guys played some really good football. Just get back to that.
Speaker 1: Whatever it takes, Yeah, whatever it takes. That's a good way to put that defensively really quick here, Tyler, what would you kind of say is the biggest reason why expectations have not been met on that side of the ball.
Speaker 2: It's easily the secondary and coaching in the secondary. And we've talked about this at length, So I don't know how much we need to spend on this, but like everything didn't work out well for this secondary overall, and with that all not working out, the Chargers were underprepared because they spent nothing in terms of either draft capital or significant free agent money in the secondary. So JC doesn't work out right, that that situation does not work out. It would be better if he were just on ir than playing not great on the field, not great off the field. Tom Tellusco's apologizing to the dB room. Michael Davis takes a step back, Brice Callahan is not brought back. You go with John Taylor. That really didn't work out this season, and it's unfortunate, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Assamto Samuel Junior is boom or bust, but he's gotten backwards a bit Derwyin James, I think it's his least impactful season. I think of his career. JT. Woods misses his time, although he Gilman misses his time. And then you have, of course the coaching, which we've talked about at length. I won't get into it too much, but complexity, scheme issues, communication, etc. I think the secondary, you know, you look at the front seven, you look at the rush unit. Sure, there are some things you'd like to improve, maybe the linebackers or whatever, but really it is the secondary that has been the biggest struggle defensively for the Chargers all year. And it almost does kind of feel like the offensive line. I don't know where you and I had these offensive line and DB's or at least corners before the season. In terms of like power ranking the units for the Chargers, yeah, I'd say there at least both in the top five and now looking at them overall, I'd say they're like, I don't know, bottom five or bottom three. And in terms of performance this season overall, the talent is there, I think, and we thought the talent was there and the play was there, and the twenty twenty two tape was all there, and yet there was no significant step forward, and in fact, everything just kind of went backwards. Nothing really progressed for the Chargers. Everything just kind of got worse. And you maybe see a bit of improvement for like a Dean Leonard, and I do like some of the supplemental play of Anisang Basi Dean Marlow Hawkins, but that's not enough. You needed your core guys to any of them to take a step forward and everything just kind of went backwards, and I think that shocked the Chargers. It did shock me, to be completely honest, and that's why I think that's the easily the key reason whether the defense has struggled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point, for those who were are kind of newer to our show, we did a Chargers position group rankings back in the summer on our channel Wide Receiver funny enough was my top position group, and then obviously quarterback into your offensive line was was third with Corey Lindsley, Zion Johnson, and Jamari Sawyer. So that's where I was. At cornerback, I had as fifth, So I was pretty high on j C. Jackson coming back, Michael Davis, Asante Sammer Junior, just her Taylor, Dean Leonard, those guys. So it was an issue or it's been an issue. I think, like for me, it shouldn't take until week twelve to figure out, like your your best and most you know, consistent group of cornerbacks. And you know, the the Asante Simon Junior thing like he was going to play slot cornerback lasted like a week and then he was back to outside and so you you finally get this group that works with Jalen Hawkins as your safety three, he saying MASSI comes in as your as your nickel. Dean Leonard's playing outside. Well now, Dean Leonard is injured and Brandon Sealey said today that there's no timeline on his return, so he's probably not playing on Thursday. And so this is another star for Michael Davis, who did have an interception forced another incompletion as well on Sunday according to PFF. But it just felt like the whole year was kind of a work in progress, and for this being year three, a lot of these guys coming back that just shouldn't really be the case. You know, it should have been more cohesive from the jump, and obviously the j C. Jackson situation I think was probably the biggest issue there. But it shouldn't take you all this time to figure out your most cohesive units. And you know, Brent Price Callen was literally free, he probably would have taken them vet minimum to come back, although he still is out there. He never signed outshore, so we don't really know, but I think the lack of communication and just the constant issues back there have definitely hurt this team. Because when things work well, like coverage and pass rush work together, it's hand in hand. Obviously, if you have a better coverage unit, gives more time for the pass rush to get home. And we've seen some instances of that working, like I think the Raiders game where k Limack had the six sacs. A lot of that was due to the plan that Brandon Staley had for the middle of the field and trying to shut down DeVante Adams and those guys, and it worked. And we've seen some glimpses of obviously the pass rush taking over, specifically against like the Jets, and it was just really like overwhelming against the Bears as well when Joey was healthy, obviously, but it never really felt like those two sides were clicking for multiple games. And that's obviously, you know, a big issue when you're talking about like high end defensive play in the league. You need that to come together. I mean, you look at the Cowboys, you look at the Chiefs, you look at all these top tier defenses, the Broncos, the Ravens. Everything is just kind of works together. And that never really came to fruition for the Chargers this year.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know what it currently stands at, but the Chargers defensive back room as has the most win probability lost due to penalties, the most epaid loss to the penalties, at least heading into the previous week. I don't know where it currently stands, but it's that's not a surprise to Chargers fans, but you do want to put it out there just to really get a feel for what is going on and how it stacks up against the rest of the league. The communication issues, the penalties, it really just does feel like the offensive line and the free rusher kind of issues. It's like this this should have been figured out, you know, you would hope, especially with you know, generally the same coaches, same DBS defensive coordinator or at least in Brandon Staley. I know Ronaldo Hill is gone, but Dereck Enzy was the dB coach, and same with the offensive line. It's the same offensive line coaches. It all really should be there, and yet everything took a step back. It's it's frush.
Speaker 1: I think this is just you know, emphasizing as a whole the importance of the coaching staff and the players getting on the same page, and ideally that happens in the off season so you can build throughout the season instead of trying to solve all of these problems. Like we've talked about like our work situations, right, Like I'm a school counselor. On the days where i feel like I'm constantly putting out fires for my students, I never feel like I'm able to like really get things done. I just feel like I'm running around with my like running around with my head cut off like a chicken. I'm not able to have a plan, I'm not able to take a breath. And I'm sure you as a as a as a teacher have have had similar days where you just feel like you're constantly run around trying to solve these issues. And as a football coach, like that's an impactful thing too, Like I don't want to discount like what the J. C. Jackson situation does for the coaching staff, what Dean Leonard being out does for the coaching staff, what Alohi Gillman being out does for the coaching staff, what Joey wells Is being out for the coaching staff does, Like you, there's probably been this feeling of like we just have to constantly put out these fires and like survive out here, you know. But at the end of the day, it is their job. It is my job as a school counselor to figure out how to get the things that I need done, manage my time when I have these emergencies that are happening, Like it's not I don't don't I don't get to go to work the next day, and like, well, I didn't do the thing I was said I was going to do because Billy Joe over here was having a tough day. Like I have to figure it out, and I have to do my task that day. And so you know, at the end of the at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the coaches to come together, you like, like we just talked about the players, the coaches have to raise their level when you have these kind of situations that the Chargers have had. And hopefully that that this issue gets corrected next year, because I would like to cover a team that is on a playoff run again and not in the situation where they're fiving.
Speaker 2: But this wasn't fun for you.
Speaker 1: I love football and winning. I love talking about football. I love like all the x's and o's and everything like that. But yes, it is much more preferable to cover a winning team. My first season covering the team was twenty eighteen. That was incredible. You get spoiled so much fun. I got spoiled right off the bat. I came in as a as a young pup, and they were ten and three at this time at that season, and I went to a game at they changed names like twice, the stub Hub whatever, and it was electric. It was so much fun. Philip Rivers was was slinging the ball around and everything like that, and that season was fun. I want more seasons like that. That would be great.
Speaker 2: And I hope that sometimes if it's been tough, as not the point of the podcast today, but sometimes it is tough to maintain momentum when the team is you know, there was literally lose to win, to lose, to win, to win, lose, lose, lose, Like it's it's been tough. But I hope that wherever you find us, wherever we are, if you follow us at all, that you're hopefully also there and see what happens and what it looks like when the Chargers are actually winning. So I promise there's there's so much excitement as a fanom and a fanatic and the fandom. It's all there. But I hope you recognize right now it's it's tougher for sure to try to cover the Chargers and to be really excited, but that that's kind of a point. You have to be frustrated right now so you can really enjoy those twenty eighteen seasons and those great moments too, which we will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the beauty of the NFL is that you can turn things around in a hurry. I mean, look what the Houston Texans have done. They were a dumbster fire two years ago. I know they lost on Sunday, but they're in a playoff push with a franchise quarterback. Like everything is so positive. That's the beauty of the NFL. You can turn things around so fast. And I think the Chargers have, you know, a lot of the core pieces necessary to make that turn. But yes, it is much more fun to cover winning team. And at this point, like I'm list like, so, my brother's an Eagles fan and he's complaining about the offensive play Colin, I'm like, you guys are ten and three. You were just in the Super Bowl last year, Like, shut up, You're fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they got it really rough, being ten and three and Super Bowl a couple of years ago and been back in it. Yeah, that's uh. I heart goes out to them as my tiny violin. I'll happily play that for them.
Speaker 1: Those poor guys, they're only ten and three. Yeah, anyways, but yeah, hopefully, like Tyler said, you know, you guys will be along with us on the ride when the charters are are back on top. So we'll end the show today talking about Easton Stick. This is obviously his show, well not officially confirmed his show, but presumably his show for the final four games of the season. Brandon Staley mentioned this today, but I think it's important for people to realize, like when you lose your starter mid game, you can't really like change your game plan, like you kind of have to just like okay, like Easton, you come in and you run the Justin stuff, and obviously, you know you would love to just have like Justin and Justin one bee. Unfortunately that's not the way football works. So the offense is going to change a little bit, obviously, like the bones and things are are going to remain the same. But Tyler and your estimation what or how would you kind of define a successful finish to the season for an East and stick led offense.
Speaker 2: I in terms of points, I'd say maybe like fourteen to seventeen points. Now, I understand that it's been quite the struggle for the Chargers to get there, but I'm hoping, as we sort of talked about that, other players can rise to the occasion, and I think we saw moments of that potentially against the Broncos one in particular Quentin Johnston. Part of it was just opportunity, but he catches a big, long fifty yarder and then the next play is a torny two yarder against pats Er Tam Like, there's there's stuff there that you can lean into. So for him to be successful, I think you'd look back at the last time the Chargers had a different quarterback and they had to prepare for that quarterback that we were with that quarterback heading into a game that was Tyrod Taylor. It was very rpo, it was very roll out, it was a very quick game. It was let's throw it to Keenan Allen and the tight ends and that, you know, and maybe down the field of Mike Williams. He's not out there, so maybe Quinton Johnston, but I think I think kind of stuff like that, let's lean into what east and Stick does really well. It cannot get to the point where they are doing deep drops while he's holding onto football for a very long time. Because on the one hand, the quick slant stuff, some of the rollout stuff that all looked pretty good. The one shot down the field that did look pretty good. But when it came down to hold on to it for a bit longer, you had a couple of sacks, you had one sack fumble, and one that should probably have been a sack fumble but it wasn't. You had three turnover worthy plays. So get that ball out quick and lean into your other players. I think it's a really good opportunity for the Chargers to almost have to evaluate their younger guys. You know, let's Keenan Al's gonna be Keenan Allen. Kellen Moore's done a great job with Keenan Allen, so that's gonna be the same. And that's gonna be a blessing for Easton Stick that he gets to throw a Keenan Allen out there, and Kellen Moore is gonna use him very well. But you can't expect him. I don't think to push down the football down the field of Quentin Johnson every game. I don't expect that to happen all the time. Yeah, get those screens going, man, that screen against the Broncos and other Broncos were way back. It looked pretty good. I mean that was a third and twenty that he took about sixteen yards and it looks pretty good. Like I genuinely believe he was gonna get all twenty of those back. Lean into that, Isaiah Spiller, it's time to evaluate him and guess what you have Eason Stick as your backup quarterback. You could run the ball more now. Whether it's successful or not, I don't know, but you got nothing to lose. And Isaiah Spiller, some of it wasn't so great, but I saw some flashes in there as well. Lean into that. Let's see what he's got. Let's also evaluate the futureself in terms of points. Fourteen to seventeen would be great. Will they get there, no idea. I hope they do it, at least entertaining if they do. But if nothing else, make a company for East and Stick and find ways to evaluate your young guys as best you possibly can heading into next season, and.
Speaker 1: I think eastern Stick is also part of that. I mean, he's not a super young guy. He's been in the league for five years. But like I think we're we just talked about this earlier, like we're seeing the value of a backup quarterback around the league in like what having a stable situation at backup quarterback can give you if you have injuries. Obviously, we hope every start stays healthy, but this is gonna be eastern Stick's first career start. This is we haven't really gotten a real chance to evaluate him. Obviously, we've seen him in some preseason games. But if east and Stick can look like a functional NFL quarterback in these next four games, then I think you're talking about like like we've always heard, like, oh we need our long term backup quarterback. If eastern Stick has a functional four games here, then I think we can solidify that question, or he can soldify that question for somebody else, and that the charge is a compick. We'll see what happens. But either way, in terms of the Eastern Stick offense, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think you have to increase the easy buttons. Heading into this week, the charges we're averaging around twenty three design rushes per game. I think with Eastern stick you can crank that up, you know, maybe five or six more, maybe you get to twenty eight, twenty nine, and some of that can be Eastern stick design runs. We saw some of that in the preseason. We saw them do the speed option looks a couple of times as well, which you've seen justin Herbert do a couple times this year. And I think you first and foremost designing his offense around Eastern stick have to use his mobility to their advantage, and it's a way to take pressure off of him as a passer because it's just a threat that the defense has to account for. And we've seen the importance of that with these other packup quarterbacks around the league, where if they can run, it just makes your life a little bit easier as a play caller, It makes your life a little bit easier as an offensive lineman, makes your life a little bit easier as a running back because that guy on the edge over here probably has to like hang by and not get beat by easton stick. So I think that's the first thing is let East and Stick run a little bit more and then schematically, like you mentioned, give him some easier buttons, Like I think he showed on Sunday to me that he was much more confident with like how he was throwing the football. You know, that out route to Keenan Allen on fourth down, Like he zipped that thing out there, and then there was the Keenan Allen conversion on third down over the middle of that. He just zipped that thing. The deep shots to Quentin Johnston, Like, I think he has the confidence to go out there and run the offense, but I think you don't want to be in a situation where you're forcing him to be that kind of aggressive playmaker. And again that the charges were trailing seventeen is zero basically when he came in. So if you can kind of manage things a little bit with his leg in the run game, you know, do RPOs, do more play action shots, make things easier for him. I think you can have kind of a semi functional offense with deasn Stick. Obviously it's not going to be justin Herbert. It's not going to be what we saw against the Lions stuff like that, But if you can have some successful drives here and there, you know, manage the clock a little bit more, and I think that could be a successful recipe for Eastern Stick. Obviously, I don't think anybody is going to misinterpret that as like, hey, they're going to go on a run and win four games with decent stick. My thing is like, let's evaluate Easton Stick and see what he can do. And I think the mobility there really is the key thing, because I do think he has progressed quite a bit as a passer, which is what we talked about when we watched him against this in the scrimmage way back when in August, like he has taken steps as a passer. Now we get to see that come to fruition. Hopefully we get to see him use his legs as well in these next four games. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Looking at Cooper Russia's stats back last year with Kellam Moore with the Cowboys when Doc went, I was surprised because the adot basically didn't change. It was still about nine yards there and they were throwing at thirty something times a game for a lot of these games. Don't know if they get to that point with Easton Stick, but I do think Kellam Moore is it's not going to be a complete shell of an offense. I do think, like we saw with the Quintin Johnston pass, like that stuff is going to be there, But just how do they make it easy for him? And I'm curious how Kellim Moore responds to the challenge of this, because it feels like sometimes the offense is, Okay, we'll do this, Justin Herbert goes save us. I don't think you can quite do that. It's certainly not the same way with Eastern Sick. It's I hope he does. That'd be great, but it's not quite the same. So how do you elevate the floor of this offense? I think the Chargers were maybe living on the ceiling of their offense and trying to hit certain ceilings with Justin Herbert Justin Herbert, but the floor was never there, and that's why I see some catastrophic moments. Or you also see thirty eight points against the Lions with Easton stick, you're just going for fourteen seventeen if we're trying to be serious and try to win. So how does Kellen More respond? How does he elevate the floor of this offense to at least get as many easy things as possible. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I just hope if it doesn't work out, it's not because we saw them take deep drops and try to push the ball down the field and run the Justin Herbert offense. You just can't do that. And frankly, Justin Herbert and the offense, we're struggling to run the Justin Herbert offense. So what can you do differently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to have to be a change up. Like you can't you can't run the same stuff. The deep dropbacks, for the most part, are are not gonna be the same kind of level of execution. Like I think the biggest difference in how you see like a quarterback versus a backup is the time to throw, is the pressure to sack percentage? John Pff. You're kind of looking at those two things and ideally you're trying to make things easier upon your backup quarterback, where hey, we have one read, let's go there and then check it down like Justin Herbert can go one, two, three, four, sometimes five, like whatever the case may be, because he's just that level of processor. With Easton stick in your backup quarterback. Now to say that Easton Stick can't handle that, not to say that he's not smart, but traditionally with your backup quarterback, you're looking for read one check down, like take the easy play, take it the defense gives you. Just keep the ball movie And I think that's the key thing there. And this in like this team believes in Easton Stick from a player perspective, Like he is beloved in that locker room for a reason. And you know, Sebastian Joseph Date Derwin James were asked about him today. They all spoke very glownely about him. They believe in Easton Stick, Randon Stay and coaching staff believes in Easton Stick. And like they're all trying to win, like this is their job, Like they're going to try and continue to execute at the highest level and hopefully we like we talked about that kind of raises the play of some of these other players around Easton Stick. So it's an important four games, Like I know that it's five and eight. We just talked about why they're not in the player but every game in the NFL is important for one reason or another, and that is definitely the case. Heading out to the final month of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, you'd ever would love to have every year the first pick in the draft and trade out of that and accumulate picks. But you also need to evaluate. You know, this is not as much trying to win games for the sake of winning games get to the postseason. But it's an audition. It's an audition for next year for the Chargers, for other teams or both obviously, So the Chargers, I hope they go out there and maybe you can see, especially with the last three draft classes and this really young, cored nucleus that should be your core nucleus moving forward. Who are the guys that you can maybe rely on, who steps up when the adversity hits because it has not been worse Like there's really in terms of the season, nothing else to really play for, Like quarterbacks hurt, you're basic out of the postseason. So who with really nothing to have to really play for steps up for the guys around them or like even just for themselves. Yeah, you know, who steps up and really takes charge this season to close it out and put something on tape that they can be proud of and either carry momentum forward with the Chargers or when they hit for agency and go to a different team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I really believe in that as a player. I really believe if you finish a season strongly, that really does help you moving forward. I think we really did see that with like Justin Herbert for example, like the final four games of his rookie season, I think really helped propel him into knowing like I am the guy, I can do this at a very very high level, elite level. And I think he carried that into that next season, and I think several other young players in that instance too. So you know, momentum from a player development standpoint is a very real thing. And I think as these players, you know, put together multiple performances and just build their confidence, Like for Quentin Johnson, for example, your first nine yard game, like let's let's build this consistency as a disability or back in it after you've been kind of inactive for a while. Let's build this consistency and let's get going into the next offseason. So it is definitely a super important season. And I like players wise, you're playing for pride, you're playing for yourself, you're playing to spoil the other teams, like, you know, they get the Bills in a couple of weeks. If the Bills, you know, are pushing for the playoffs, a loss would do a lot for them. You know, you get the Chiefs in week eighteen, like you can spoil these other teams season. And it's not just like you know, of course, there are things to play for, things or not to play for. So it's going to be very interesting to see how the players handle this over the next month because a lot can ride on your careers over the end of the season like this. So yeah, I went a little bit longer on that discussion, particularly along the offensive line, but you know, it is what it is. We got to talk about the things that are really happening with this team. That's what we always try to do over the ins We've always tried to do over the last four years that we've been together as a podcast. So, Tyler, any final thoughts before we head out.
Speaker 2: I am still kind of excited for the game, you know, because it's like if we're assuming the Charger are out of the postseason, and look, they have a one percent of less of one percent chance of making it, so they're they're out of the postseason then it's just it's just kind of free house money, you know, I get to watch, So let's see these guys play, see how it goes. I'll be with my dad who's a Raiders fan. You can type boo in the chat everyone who just found that out. It should be fun. We'll be here regardless, no matter what. We'll be here every week covering it. Season ends, will be here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly, you know, charges Fantom is not for the week, that's for sure. It builds characters. What I always tell people, you know, it is what it is, so it should be a lot of fun. Appreciate you guys for sticking around this far into the episode, this far into the season. Hopefully you're able to learn something take something away from the from this show. That's kind of always our goal is to have these kind of discussions that that dig deep into what's going on with the Chargers on multiple levels. So hopefully you enjoyed the show. If you did, please let us know in a review comment, whatever the case may be. We're always looking for that kind of engagement, So we appreciate you guys. Appreciate the Chargers for allowing us to have this platform. Appreciate Greg Kim for producing. As always, that's going to do for us this time. We'll see you next week. Hould up.