Speaker 1: With Christmas just around the corner, we wanted to celebrate the holidays the only way we know how with former Boy Meets World dialogue coach and Yule Tide expert Chris Kier with our very own Chris Kier's Christmas Corner to remind those who may have forgotten, or to fill those in who may have missed his interview episode. Chris, for many, many years had a pop up shop in Los Angeles, one we visited last year, and he sells thousands of vintage and unique ornaments, dolls, Chotchkes, and Santa's he collected from all over the world and he even had a large Boy Meets World prop sign in his store that you could take a picture with. Well, this year, he decided to take his brick and mortar business online, and he's here with us to talk a little bit about Christmas and update us on the festive comings and goings of Chris Kier in December. So let's talk to the Saint Nick of Pod Meets World. Please welcome back, Chris Kier.
Speaker 2: Eh, where did that year go?
Speaker 3: Is what I want to know.
Speaker 1: I know, it feels like we were just with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look younger, say Danielle say yes, I do you do?
Speaker 1: You look fantastic. How is it going? How is your holiday season so far?
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. Last year I had the store. Yeah, and I had it for twenty years, and the hardest part is finding a four month lease. Realtors open, term of calls, landlords won't. So what obviously happened was I closed the store for good last season. I'm glad you guys got in and will we missed you.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm sorry I wasn't there. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh it was great.
Speaker 3: And the thing is that I start January first, traveling and going around the world finding things, and I pack it all up, price it, so it's a whole damble. August rolls around. I'm hitting the pavement by myself, hitting knocking on doors. And I lucked out the last four years, and now I was pushing my luck. So now I've gone online, which I hate. I miss all. I miss seeing the people. That's the hardest part about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also just creating that atmosphere. I feel like that was so much of the fun. It was that story, just being like Christmas everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like going to the small Disneyland, right rider. It was experience. Yes, it was a world that I created.
Speaker 2: Discovery and all these little nooks and crannies of things that yeah, I mean, Indy was just lost in it. It was so fun.
Speaker 3: I love that because as kids, when I grew up Michigan, we had those little department stores that had that kind of charm, you know what I mean, Yeah, not at all like that. And well in Connecticut you must have had those old department stores. I had the windows that were.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely, Tea Fox and all those companies that they do up the Christmas windows and everybody go down and check it out and you sit on Standa's lap. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if you knew this, but my father had men's clothing stores. I fear if I talked this last time a year ago, but I was raising men's clothing stores at nine years old up. So that's where the retail comes in for me. But he he did the windows. There were mechanical things in the windows of the parks had all of that. So my store had that retro feel. It was an experience from yesteryear. Maybe come back one day, you never know.
Speaker 4: I could definitely come back. It can definitely Christmases every year, Chris, it can definitely come back.
Speaker 3: But I miss the people. I'm missing the people. That's I'm missing more than anything.
Speaker 1: Well, what has the online experience been like?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not my thing, to be honest with you, I'm on a Apple call whatnot.
Speaker 4: If you guys have heard of it, good.
Speaker 3: I'm at Christopher Dashkire And what I do is, I literally it's my own qv she show. I am literally a host selling all these treasures I've gotten from around the world. But I go live and then people.
Speaker 2: Bid on it. It's what fun.
Speaker 3: I know, it's fun and I get comments, but I want to see the people. But it's fun and they've enjoyed it. And I also sell it on my website at Christopher Kire's Christmas Corner on Facebook. And so it's been it's been an interesting year. I got more time they've ever had in a long time, and I'm you know, I'm going to the gym more. I'm doing things for myself. I went to the Hollywood Christmas Parade. Some of you were in that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Ben and I did it every year. Okay, I hadn't been.
Speaker 3: In twenty years. Because I had this door right and I kept waiting for the Boy Meets World float.
Speaker 1: It was Rodney Dangerfield.
Speaker 4: There, No, that would be amazing. I think he's unavailable.
Speaker 2: I never heard of you, honey, you ever heard of this show. It's a cute show.
Speaker 3: So it's been an interesting season so far. And as you can see behind me, I'm in the Caire Castle, which is high up in the Hollywood Hills. Have any of you been up your car? Did you ever get up your wheel?
Speaker 4: I was up there. I casta that's right.
Speaker 3: So since then I've done a lot of additions to it, and I've recreated the nineteen twenties field to the house. But behind me, I haven't been able to put this tree up. I have a twelve foot tree I didn't put up this year. But behind me is all of these vintage ornaments are from the nineteen forties, fifties and sixties. It's the museum people. A post video of this and close up to these ornaments on my Facebook page. But the thing is, I call it a memory for you guys, because what we do is we go to the garage. We take out a shoe box with little wrap things in tissue, right, and then we put Oh, Susie made this a kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, my aunt I.
Speaker 3: Had this other tree every year, so it becomes a memory tree. So that's what it is for all of us. It's not really Christmas. It's a memory tree. There's something about that, that feeling we get every year going to visit these little trinkets.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Do you have any you'd like to like? Do you have any you'd like to show off to us?
Speaker 3: Well, this particular tree, my grandmother had ornaments just like this. Here, this bird right here. I can't take off the tree, you might break, but the little clip on birds here, I can get this one here. This is something that had on the trees made in Germany, these clip on trees. You might recognize birds on the tree, you might recognize these. My grandmother had these, and so for me when I put these on the tree this year, I was like, oh my goodness, it's long gone grandmother, but she sure had that tradition of having me come over and put up the tree for her as a small kid. So I know what it's like. And you, guys, there's a way to put up your Christmas tree. People don't know this. If you're getting a live tree or an artificial tree. There's different ways for the artificial tree or the live tree. The first thing you have to do is set it in there and make sure it's not crooked, because they have a lot of fights with my family about.
Speaker 1: It being croudy oh, I remember those.
Speaker 3: So make sure it's set piece supply would around, set inside the squares around the trunk with the screws going into it. We'll keep it steady, okay. The other thing you have to do is this and listen carefully. If you're decorating only one side, which most people do, because against the wall or in the corner, you have to literally take two screw eyes, put it into the wall on either side of the tree, run wire for a while around the trunk and to the other one, so you're folding the tree in place. Because so many trees fall over during the season. You guys the.
Speaker 4: Wall of that In Connecticut, we did that in case my dad wanted the biggest tree possible, so we would have like a fifteen foot tree, and he needed the We had the wires and the eelets are there all year long and everything's just set up right dead with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you how your parents for me, they're great people, remember parents like me very boy's parents. So the thing is is you've got that set, then you start from the top with the lights. You do the lights first, okay. If you've shaped the tree with an artificial tree like this shoes, you pull two fronds out and one up, two fronds up, one up, So then when you get a nice ranch that's nice and clear. Okay. But the issue is this, you start from the top down doing the lights on each limb, and don't do more than three stands strands at a time. Have a nice strip that goes up the center with separate different outlets in the cord, and then you plug your lights into that.
Speaker 2: But if you do the.
Speaker 3: Strands back to back more than three, they're gonna blow the fuse. They're gonna blow the fuse inside the strand of lights, and then you're messed up.
Speaker 1: I love these tips.
Speaker 3: So then the other thing is that this is the biggest mistake you guys, everybody makes. They put the tree top or the star on last. You put on first, because you're lifting a kid, you're knocking off over runs, You're not going the tree trying to get on top of it. You put it on first, and you work from the top down.
Speaker 1: Very smart.
Speaker 3: And before you do all of this, because I have glass, I bilow a comforter around the tree. So when and I do drop my glass ornaments, they never break on my wooden floor.
Speaker 1: So smart, and.
Speaker 3: Keep moving around, keep moving around. But again going back to that top tree topper, put on first, work with the smaller ornaments on top down to the larger ornaments in the bottom. Right.
Speaker 2: It's just anti narrative. I just like the I like the climactic, like we finished the tree, let's put it on. It's just shame so appropriate. I want to do it narratively. Man, I don't know if I could do this. I think it's my story. Let's start with the end and now flashbacks.
Speaker 3: No, about the third year, when ornaments are falling off, the kid almost falls into the tree. I think time to realize, there's are doing a tree right. No one's going to know you put on last. But I get what you're saying, but it's so hard to do. Do you push that ladder?
Speaker 2: You know you're you're very practical.
Speaker 4: Now how far down the tree do you get before the wine and the crying starts? Because i know where it is in our family, and I'm just curious where because my we when when Susan hits anything from like an old dog, she grew up with something like that, and the tears start flowing, the wine starts pouring, and by the end it's justin Bieber on a loop and a blubbering mess. I'm a family tradition.
Speaker 3: That part of the whole thing, that's part of the whole experience. But you know, I've never been a person that lives in the past. Okay, I live in today and what I can do in the future. But I recall, yeah, I'm sure passed away last year, my best friend passed away. I think we talked. Oh no, it was shortly after my podcast, but he passed away, and I'm taking care of his whole collection of Christmas things. But he lived in the past and all of his things were the past. He never lived for today. And for me, I like creating memories today, Like I went alone to the Hollywood Parade. All my friends the past away out of la now so no one could go with me, So I went alone, but I created my own memory to go. So I think most of us we want to wallow in things. But I think if you wallow in it, it only perpetuates more sadness. But for me is to look at it and to say my grandmother loved.
Speaker 1: This, Yes, exactly to celebrate.
Speaker 3: Saying, oh I wish she was here, I wish she was here. We all start past when we're here. Sure, I think if living for today is enjoying what you do have, magnify what you do have.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of it.
Speaker 3: And you, guys, I got to thank you for some people. So last year when I had my store, I would venture to say close to two hundred do Boy Meets World. People came in to see me from Sacramento, from San Diego, from Palm Springs, from Arizona, drove in to meet me at my store to see this coast with the Santaland sign. It was the prop from the show. It was amazing and I picked up students from my acting classes just you were the guy from me. I heard your pod meets World of podcasts, Boy meets World podcasts, and I just want to get my kids in your classes, so I do zoom cap classes.
Speaker 2: This is this is what we've been experiencing, is like ever since we started this podcast. Our our sense of community and connectivity is just it's awesome. And you know, yeah, it's such as.
Speaker 3: From your your your people, to emails, a lot of emails. They want me to start my own podcast. I don't know how to start it, but I can. I'm the talent. So I've got to hire somebody who's gonna set it all up for me, and it will be my entertainment career. How to work on cruise ships, Walt Disney World, work in the circus, having people on from around the world I worked with through these years, you know what I mean. So I'm thinking about that a podcast, and.
Speaker 4: Then right around Christmas, it's got to be the Twelve Days of Caire.
Speaker 2: Yes, I see it.
Speaker 3: I visualize it because I've had so much time in my hands. What's my next? My next? I'm always into my next, and it's been enough time for me now that I put it all together to think, Okay, now, what's my next chapter going to?
Speaker 4: I love it in my life.
Speaker 1: This is the perfect opportunity for you to tell everyone who's listening, now, where can we find you? On whatnot? You said? It was Christopher dash Kaire. That's Christopher with a K.
Speaker 3: Christopher Kier is what is this?
Speaker 1: Christopher Kier on Okay, Christopher Kier Christopher with.
Speaker 3: A K, Yeah with a K, Christopher Kier on Whatnot?
Speaker 1: And then on Facebook, how can people find you.
Speaker 3: Christopher Kire's Christmas Corner if you're interesting Christmas things. But I still teach my classes, my acting classes for young people, and that's at Christopher Kire's workshop, which is on a Facebook as well. Okat And as a matter of fact, right now when I'm so proud of this, for those who have seen The Naughty Nine and the Disney Channel, my star pupil who started with me three years ago, Camilla Rodriguez is the lead in the film, the new Disney film and I'm still create stars. She came from me from out of town. We zoomed for a few months that she came and out to LA and she's worked so hard. So Camilla Rodriguez, remember that name.
Speaker 4: She's going to be very Yes.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Chris, Thank you so much for being here with us. We will make sure to bring you back with us next December. You are our Christmas expert, so thank you for all of your tips and tricks, and everybody you've heard. Now where you can find Chris yourself. Go reach out to him, send him some love. Check out his fantastic Christmas items. We just decorated our house this past weekend, and I got to relive all the moments of having my kids in your store. When we pulled out our Christmas tree skirt the box to store the ornaments we got from you. My little director's in sentence burner thing. I don't even know exactly what it's called, but it was so cool. And so he's got so many special little trinkets, and you guys should go check him out. Thank you so much, Chris.
Speaker 3: So much. Together before I go away, take care of you guys. Merry Christmas and happy Holidays to all you.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah we have we have a legendary I was gonna say when he was talking about the tree falling. We had one one year where I haven't talked about on the podcast. How obsessed my family is with charades and yeah and games where you act them out. So we had this legendary uh charades game in front of a Christmas tree. My mother in law completely took out Christmas. It was one of the funniest but also scariest moment, you know, we're all like who we're going And then of course now it's like legendary. I was like, this is about ten years ago.
Speaker 4: We still like, can you remember what she was charading?
Speaker 2: No? No, I just remember her like getting so into it and then falling and losing her balance, and it was like, no, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well, welcome to Pod meets Christmas Official.
Speaker 2: I'm right or strong, and I'm will ba humbug for Dell.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so excited. This is the only thing Will's not. He's the only thing he's a ba humbug about.
Speaker 4: I am. It's true. I'm the happiest guy in the world Christmas all year long. You just don't care. No, I find it. I find you talk. You're the one who talks about commercialism all the time. It is stress, miss. It's it's starting earlier and earlier and earlier every year. It's just about buying the most ridiculous amount of gifts you can.
Speaker 2: No crazy, you have to buy anything.
Speaker 1: We don't even really everyone does, but everyone does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's one side of I mean, what about just like the I just because you like childlike imaginative things. It seems so you're ever.
Speaker 4: Christmas is never my thing. Community trying. I'm trying to get sad with whiskey. I mean.
Speaker 1: Everything you just said without the now five hundred dollars, well.
Speaker 2: Who cares about the but the lights, the light the like, oh, just just like the sense of like like he talks to you know, Chris was talking about how you don't want to like be sad. But I actually think there's something nice about like the Madelin like, oh, let's just embrace the sadness. Let's just like ozy up. Oh, it's so fun. I love the holidays because I was born in December, so I always associate.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, my birthday December.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and my son was born in December. There's a lot to celebrates the December. What indies December twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: December twenty eight, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Which is two elevens plus seven, which is the lucky number. So if it's two eleventh plus seventh plus you're.
Speaker 4: Making this uprider like worse, does Indy get screwed out of presence because he was born so close to Christmas?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I mean no, trust me, the kid does not know. We have to tell the grandparents, like one present each the first couple of years. It's gross. It's so gross, so we very much limit the presence. No, he gets screwed on celebrating because we can't have a birthday party with his friends because everyone leaves town for the hall. Yeah, and so we end up, like what ends up happening is we have like four birthday parties. We have like the one for one set of grandparents when we're with them, the other for the other set of grandparents, the one on the actual day when we're with him, the one best friend from.
Speaker 1: Stue just a one family thing on his actual day, and then start celebrating his half birthday big party on his half Briday right in June, you know, because then you get six months away from a birthday holiday thing. It's in the middle of the year. It's a reason to get everyone together. It's summer, you know, like at the beginning of summer. You guys just pick a random day.
Speaker 4: By the way, you're both invited. Sue and I definitely starting this year, have been talking about it for years and years and years, and we're absolutely doing it. We will be celebrating a second Thanksgiving in May. I'm dead serious, all the trimmings, exact Thanksgiving dinner, everything you get him. Were getting a bunch, and why six months from now we're doing it again.
Speaker 1: I'm there. I'm there.
Speaker 2: No, Turkey's overrated most of the I mean, I'll come, I'll come, dang out. I'll bring whiskey and I'm not gonna be I'll be whiskey in my I.
Speaker 1: Just would like to point out that the one who loves death is just happy about all of it. I'll be there. I love the Thanksgiving, I love the Christmas, I love the summer.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Everything. I love everybody.
Speaker 2: Did you love it this episode?
Speaker 1: Did you love a lot about it? We will discuss. We are here to talk about season three, episode twenty two, Brother Brother. It originally aired.
Speaker 4: Yeah, finally is what I would say.
Speaker 1: The finally you didn't like season three?
Speaker 4: No, I did like. I like see.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll talk about it with Brummy's world.
Speaker 4: World to recap did not set season three by any stretch of the imagination. Okay, there's peaks and valleys.
Speaker 1: Like everything, absolutely so. It originally aired May seventeenth, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis. After learning about all of his friends out of town, plans for the summer and his brother going off to college. Corey becomes worried about the prospects of spending the entire break by himself. It was written, It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Mark Bluman and Howard bus Gang. Quite a season three.
Speaker 2: Season two and three, it's like all that because they had like six and season two. I mean they're just yes, so much so.
Speaker 1: Guest starring Lindsay Ridgeway as Morgan Matthews. And this is Alex Desayer's final appearance on the show.
Speaker 2: Solid Solid Got a line? Does he even have a line he has? I think, I think where he talks to you, but then he's also in Chubbies. I don't think he's has a word, just there as an extra.
Speaker 1: If there's any other example of a more wasted incredible talent on a show ever, or Alex on season three of Boy Means yep. So we jump into our recap. In the school hallway, Eric is cleaning out his locker when mister Turner and mister Williams approach him with a box. They have a gift from the teachers before he leaves John Adams. Eric thinks it's a graduation gift, but mister Williams corrects him, it's a confiscation gift. He pulls out what looks like a folded bed sheet from the box. Eric unfolds it and says, my giant undervans.
Speaker 4: IOK, it's just a guess, a funny word, and as Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: And you also become Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a perfect read. It's so funny. And then mister Turner pulls out his personal favorite, the feene Puppet. Ah, Little George, Eric exclaims. Turner says, we'll leave you two alone, and they take off. That's basically it for Eli.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: How do you guys feel about the whole puppet? The whole puppet?
Speaker 4: Well, the puppet became a famous thing, but I conflated it with the So this is the first of two Feenie Puppets. Okay, because the.
Speaker 2: Last episode really anti climactic to me, just like we did with the.
Speaker 4: Show the Fenie Puppet with where it's Eric's voice doing the Phoenie call. So this is this is a second, the first of two times we see.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes me feel better because I was like, this seems like a waste.
Speaker 1: Because we have seen a lot of Phenie puppets at our live shows, and so we especially like this. I think it is this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we really You only have the one beat with Corey, which is funny but not like amazing.
Speaker 4: Wait I'm wrong, No, I'm wrong. Our fans were just screaming at the radio. I'm wrong. The second puppet is an Eric puppet. It's not a Peenie puppet. This is the this is.
Speaker 1: It, Okay, this is it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like, well, you know, maybe maybe maybe in general, I feel like this episode could could have used a little bit of a re right and this you know, there was like a lot of good ideas and then just like this the execution, I was kind of like, wait, but I really like the emotional core of this episode. I think it's a nice way to end the season and to wrap up Eric storyline, which has been mostly played for comedy, to play it for drama. I love all those choices, but like even this the puppet, I was sort of like, Oh, there's gonna be some great puppet stuff, and then it was kind of like just okay, yeah, fine, you know, and it's not you like you obviously funny. It was just like and I you know, the actually like drive it right into the ground. And the next scene when you go to Corey, you're doing some puppet stuff and then Corey is just like I don't like the puppet ye, and then lose the puppet.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, wow.
Speaker 3: But I kind of.
Speaker 2: Felt like maybe they were just kind of like the writers. I feel like the writers were rushed. I think because of Disney World. Everything was a little rush this week, and I feel like they probably were riffing on thinking it was so funny with you and the fake Corey from the previous episode that it was like, give Will more props. We didn't work comedy just came up some props and they just said and then like didn't really think it all the way through or like work it all the way out because it just kind of okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I agree. I like the whole story like this of the brothers not all that stuff and Corey being left behind by everybody, and it's really his anger is really directed towards Eric, but even he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Know that those are all great ideas story beats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but it was it got it, Yeah, it got very active.
Speaker 1: My favorite moment with the Phoenie puppet comes up right now when Eric sticks his hand in the puppet and mimics mister Feenie detention, mister Matthews. Eric repeats himself swinging the puppet around, just as Phoene walks by and Phoene says, what are you doing with this ridiculous thing? Eric says it's just a dummy, and Phoene glares at Eric, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 2: Come on, you thought that was great. It's because it's a lot of dummy. You would never call it a dummy, you'd call it a puppet. So why are we saying this line? It's over from the previous episode. I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 1: It's I just like seeing Feenie and Eric together. I just think they're funny and they're But you're right the word you have.
Speaker 2: A puppet, you can do a beat where like if Phoene came up and started talking to him and he started talking back as the Phoenie up in and ignoring, like, there's so many funnier things that could have happened here that I was like, Oh, Eric, oh that's that's all we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Do well, you know what the joke. You know what the joke is is Phoene has said the same thing so many times that Eric now has the puppet and he's saying exactly what Phoene's saying. At the same time.
Speaker 2: He just so he's able to like mouth along with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, there's so many better bits. Yeah. Also for somebody who went on to do voices for a living, I'm doing a horrible mister impression. It's no not could you do a better one?
Speaker 2: Now? Good?
Speaker 4: But I have to hear it. Tough.
Speaker 2: Bill's tough.
Speaker 4: He's tough because even he made up his own accent exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you slip into a British thing very typically you do.
Speaker 4: It's almost winchester esque. It's very It's yeah, he's a hard one to imitate. I don't know if I can do it. It was bad. The impression was bad.
Speaker 1: So Phoene asks him, have you heard from more colleges? Eric says he was turned down by Penn State and BU and it looks like he'll be going to his first choice, North Southwestern San Diego State University. Phoene shrugs, ah, yes, old nswsds U U. Eric tells him he's on the waiting list. He should get his acceptance any day. Then it's goodbye, Philamadelphia. Here's a few things that threw me. When Phoene says, ah, yes old nswsds U, I assumed he did that because that's not a real college, like the way he says, oh, yes, the Old. I so then when I later when there was a letter from the college or Corey asks specifically, did you hear back from them, I was like, wait, that was real? He really was, like it was a little confusing to me.
Speaker 4: It should have been a different school that was actually real and kind of what they would call a lower tier school, something that would have been a safety school. Yeah, that was a real thing instead of going for the one joke, which.
Speaker 1: Right, the old and yeah, it threw me. I was like, wait a minute. There were a couple of moments here where I was like, I'm not sure. Yeah, So anyway, that that bumped me a little bit because right away the way he responds, I'm like, that's not a real thing. He's making that up.
Speaker 4: We've already done that with forus, so we figured it right. The same kind of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then Phoene asks if Eric has any summer plans, and he says, I'm going to travel. I'm spending two months in two months in my car and I'm going to see all fifty states. Phoene asks, how do you intend to drive to Hawaii? Eric tells him I'm going to drive till they start speaking Chinese. Then hang A Yui, and I again, because of the fifty states joke, I also thought he wasn't really going on a road trip in his car for two months.
Speaker 4: It's they seem to kind of be playing it for one joke at a time, as opposed to it meaning something.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Well, I just feel like this is clearly setting up what this episode is, Like, what are Eric's plans? He's they want you to know he's waitlisted, he's waiting to hear his final word, and he does have plans that he's going on a road trip this summer. None of this bothered me, None of it bumped you, Okay.
Speaker 2: I was always like, Okay, that makes sense. I mean it's just Eric being the college bother game. Yeah, yeah, I mean I didn't. I didn't love these scenes, Like I like, again, I think I could have used to rewrite and could have been funnier, but but no, it didn't bump me as like a reality question or like what's happening? I knew what was happening, Yeah, I just didn't didn't love it.
Speaker 1: So then we continue in the school.
Speaker 2: But also, like Eric going by himself on a road trip, really you just can kind of see that, you know, okay, but then you have no friends at your graduation dinner. That is the saddest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: So nearby, Corey walks up to Tapanga. This is the outfit that I'm wearing in my funko pop. It's taken directly from this scene.
Speaker 4: Interest interesting clothes this week, I sure did, to the point where I even noticed them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was it. This was nineties. Let me tell.
Speaker 2: You you know. I bet what happened is you probably tried on like ten different outfits for Florida, and then they were like, well, let's say three.
Speaker 1: Keys and just keep going, just keep using them. So didn't we have finals last week? Our finals was two weeks ago. Why are we still at the school? Why are we all still here?
Speaker 4: There were some logistical questions I had later too, where it was.
Speaker 1: Like, huh, we had finals and then the next week we went to Florida and now we're leaving.
Speaker 4: The school at school, I know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I was a little confused by all of the things that we were that all the plans.
Speaker 2: So, uh, say, Ben is wearing a shirt that I would wear today. It is really beautiful Denim. I was like, wow, this is like one of the first times on boy. I was like, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: In soup for the last for I don't know why, and I'd love to talk to Sarah about this, but for the last three or four weeks, all of a sudden, we just went with super long clothes. Yeah, all the clothes have now gotten We went from layers to long.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm tucked in. I decided her tucking in every episode. Now I'm wearing a white shirt underneath the shirt and then I'm tucked in with a belt which you playing basketball later, You've got the shirt. Yeah, that's what you need. You need to block your you need to block your arms to make it really hard to move. Obviously, that's what you wear when you play basketball. When you play so dumb, Oh my god, buddy.
Speaker 1: So Corey announces here we are, me and you last day of school. Back together. They kiss, and he repeats back together, and they kiss again. He laughs and asks, did I mention we're back together? She smiles and tells him to refresh your memory, and big shocker, they kiss again with no woos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no I don't because it's annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it is.
Speaker 4: But I mean, there's always.
Speaker 2: An but this is not a cute scene. I'm like, Okay, we get it. Guys. Well, I'm glad you make fun of it later. But man, I was like, don't do it again.
Speaker 1: It's also worth noting that we are still in the midst of the Big Bang grow Out of ninety six. This is not to be, you know, confused with the less important Big Bang that started the universe. But my bangs are being grown out, and so they are no one knows what to do with them there. Some of them are this way, some of them are this way. My hair's in a ponytail. It's not working. Later, we wear a headband to get them pulled back, and that's a little better.
Speaker 4: But I'm sorry to tell you this, Danielle, but your bangs are actually only six thousand years old.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, Corey says I'm completely secure with our relationship, and if you want to spend your summer away at camp, I'm totally okay with it. But we get the sense that he is not to Peng is thrilled. That is so mature. Corey adds, because I'm going with you. She tells him it's an all girls camp, and he retorts, what times swimming? It's only one summer. We'll have plenty more together to Pega explains, because she's reasonable and normal, and Corey groans, I know, but this is the most important summer of our lives. It's the summer of our fifteenth year, and if we don't spend it together, we'll never get it back. Tapega responds, that's really sweet, but it'll only make our sixteenth summer all the more special. Corey then pleads, I'll pay you a thousand dollars to hang out with me. She says, this time is going to fly, and before you know it, we will be back together. She kisses Cory huh, and he.
Speaker 4: Also reaches for his pocket like he's got it. Yeah, it's the thing. Also, by the way, we glossed by it. But what time swimming is the best joke of the entire show. Oh really, really, I think because it's just fast and quick and to the point, and it's it's an all girls, well what time swimming? That's the that's the solid that's the most solid jokes.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think I think something. You know, this episode is just a lot of exposition. It's a lot of con so much dialogue, and I think that this is this scene is now that I'm hearing you recap it, I'm realizing, like, yeah, I think it's lacking story because the motivation for the whole story is is Corey being upset that he's being left alone for the summer. And I think it could have been stronger maybe if he had had a plan or hadn't been expected. But like we're starting off, he knows to Panka is going to summer school or summer camp. He's not going to see her. Like it's weird that he's It's just it would have been better if he like reacts to something like he's not reacting anything. He's just coming in upset.
Speaker 4: And Salen tries to I think Alan tries to explain that later by saying, is that really what you think you're mad at? Because totally they know that he's really upset that it's actually that Eric's leaving right right, So it's Alan even says like, you know, he comes in mad, but it's not about that. It's like he hasn't yet figured out that tot.
Speaker 2: And I like the idea of like him seeing the room with you moving out and getting upset about it. My problem with this episode is that Corey's likability is just plummeted by the fact that he's already upset and angry from a moment one. We don't get to see it like come out of sadness. You know, it gets to a place where there's sadness and there's connectivity with you. But it's hard for it was hard for me to care and to root for.
Speaker 4: Him, for he does minutes. He does come in angry right off the.
Speaker 2: Back, right, and it's demanding and like I'm gonna pay you to stay, and it's like, well that's all. Like I want him to be a little more discombobulated, like you know, more stressed out Corey, more anxious and nervous Corey than like angry and upset at everybody and accusatory Corey. Because and and that it could have easily been fixed by just having him react like sad at first instead of immediately being like, don't leave me, don't go, you know, and then it's like or.
Speaker 1: To reverse it, have to Penga be sad and have him be kind of as much as I want you, it's good for you because.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have my summer with my brother. And then it's a turn and then I'm like and then I'm on his side because I'm like, yeah, he did well with Topanga, and then Eric's let Corey.
Speaker 4: He also lets Topanga know that it's fine to.
Speaker 1: It's fine for him to exactly make him look.
Speaker 4: Normal if he does that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have been that would have been my choice. So Topanga walks away, leaving Corey to admit to himself, well that was a brave front. As he sighs and sits on the bench while he's moping. The Phoenie Muppet, Muppet, the Feenie.
Speaker 2: Don't get us sued, the muppet, the puppet just so dirty puppet does sound dirty. It's what happened when you get.
Speaker 4: That's right, man, puppet going.
Speaker 2: It's late night and you're alone.
Speaker 1: Just you need to stop right now, Okay, So the Phoenie puppet pops up behind him, asking, what's the matter, mister Matthews, you seem a little down, Little George continues, perhaps some more history homework would cheer you up. Corey tells Eric to knock it off. He's not a big fan of his Feenie puppet.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, wow, Eric is being so nice.
Speaker 1: So nice, so awful. The last episode he just built a whole.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: He did so much for Corey. Yeah, he covered for him the whole time and without question and said, I do it because I care about you.
Speaker 1: I care about you, and I want you, And he gave him the advice to go after her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, will you're saying because there was a period where they were considering spinning your character off, right, it wasn't here, and it wasn't here. This makes so much sense. Yeah, I thought they were teeing up that you were going to leave. And it does make sense. You were graduating from high school. You could have easily had your own shows. Eric Like easily it could have been Eric in college and this is just belonged to Eric.
Speaker 4: And I'll show you where it had. I know the scene so it's the.
Speaker 2: End of season four, or but it was the end of a season, it must have been, right.
Speaker 4: I don't even think it's the end of a season. I think it's like in the middle, because we were having meetings with ABC and we I mean we probably got five or six meetings in.
Speaker 2: God, I thought for sure this was it because I was like, oh, this is a great setup for Will to go on to a new show that would yeah, okay, wow.
Speaker 1: So Eric reveals himself, come on, core I thought everything was great now that you into Panger are back together, big kiss, back together, big kiss, He calls out the part writer. Just despised, Corey tells Eric to stay out of his personal life, and Eric says to Pang is leaving for the summer, and I'm sorry, but that's got nothing to do with me. I've got one week left here. Let's make it great, just like old times.
Speaker 2: Wonderful what.
Speaker 1: He puts Corey on the shoulder and walks away, as Corey wonders aloud, what old times?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I guess the reaction there, yeah, I don't know. That's where I just wanted it to be more like, I don't know something about Corey just rubs me the wrong way the whole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you well again, I think you hit I think you hit the nail on the head. Is it just it? Michael used to always tell us, don't play anger, and Ben's playing anger, and it just shows that it makes him less likable. I think. I think if it built to an angry scene, that's the fun thing.
Speaker 2: That's what's great. Yeah, I think, But if it comes from a place of being hurt first and like sort of yeah, like what if he had really been asking like what old times? Like he's suddenly realizing like, really, I don't know, did.
Speaker 3: We have good times?
Speaker 2: And then he's like, in the course of the episode realizing I'm I'm upset that that Eric was never there for Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The problem is that it's like telegraphing right off the bat, I'm set and I'm angry, and we're a right to be.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I've never once addressed this with you before. It's all happening right now at A at A one hundred, and.
Speaker 4: We're an awesome brother a week ago, just one week.
Speaker 1: Ago, and that was maybe great, and now I want more of that. So then wow, that, by the way, that's just our cold open. That's my god, that is a big.
Speaker 2: Forty minutes in our episode.
Speaker 1: I mean big cold open likely, Yeah, a lot of set up, lots of information we just had to digest.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't in it either. You're a few times Sean is not in the hallway with.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because you're in the New Settler the park and you guys are playing basketball in black leather boots, black tight denim jeans and tucked in shirts and button ups, just like NBA players do.
Speaker 2: Yes, you do sports.
Speaker 1: That is how you do the sports.
Speaker 4: How you do sports ball.
Speaker 2: Did you see the way I go to block his layup? I'm sorry, I'm almost extending my arm all the way. I almost.
Speaker 1: Did you know what a layup is?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, it's when you're it's right before you spike.
Speaker 1: Spike it, spike after you get a hat trick, which is right.
Speaker 2: Or if you as long as you don't get called on icing, you're spiking the.
Speaker 4: Peyton manning basketball.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the Wayne Gretzky.
Speaker 1: The Wayne break one. So Corey says, okay, fine to Pega is going to camp as he scores one on Sean and it's an all girls camp. But there's no threat there and it's more time for us the boys of summer. Sean breaks it to him, I'm going to spend the next two months traveling with my dad. Did you think it all right? Or like, wow, you've turned into Chet Hunter? You travel all summer with your family?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: In real life?
Speaker 2: I mean in real life?
Speaker 4: In real life, yes.
Speaker 1: You jet, Yeah, you just but like you don't abandon your family. You just take him with you. You travel travel for every summer with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you think of it in the moment, he said, I did?
Speaker 4: I was like, well, yeah, that's I remember when you first pulled up your house in Minneapolis too. You got out and you were like, where.
Speaker 2: Are we having dinner?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow, it's it's full morph So he asks Sean, I thought you were staying home this summer, and Sean tells him I am. That's the beauty of a mobile home. Wherever you go, you're home.
Speaker 2: But now my mom took the mobile home, so we don't have a trailer, right.
Speaker 3: Didn't we move?
Speaker 2: Where did we move into when Chet decided to take me out of turn?
Speaker 4: I think you moved into Uncle Mike's trailer because Mike was gone.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, he got busted or something. So now we're taking do you.
Speaker 1: Say Uncle Mike's trailer was gone.
Speaker 2: That's right because it last. Yeah, so I guess we just got a new trailer.
Speaker 4: With the.
Speaker 1: Waiters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got times by a new house.
Speaker 1: That's what he did. And now we're driving around them and you're going around for two months because he can. Sean asks if Corey is okay, and Corey tries convincing him he's fine. He tells him I can do without my best friend and my girlfriend for a couple of months.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: He sits on a bench next to an older lady who's feeding real pigeons.
Speaker 4: We had real pigeons, I said the same thing. I'm like, we had birds on the set. When it just happens.
Speaker 1: What is the sesame street? And next to a sandbox with real kids?
Speaker 4: And the swing going back just made me want to swing the whole time. Is like, I let me go on to swing.
Speaker 1: Have you done it in a while?
Speaker 4: It makes remember you to New York. We wanted to go out. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: You get you get a little in your crystals in your ear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, there's fluid that has crystals in your ear, and when you're young, it's more fluid, and the older you get it starts to congeal, which is why things like roller coasters and stuff like that make you more nauseous.
Speaker 2: And you can also like have like extreme vertigo, Like I completely lost it one night out of nowhere, could not walk. I had such bad vertigo and I laid down on the couch. And apparently the way to fix it is you have to have one like kick you up. No, they have to like like grab you by your arms and and the whole idea is to like knock the crystals in your ear back into the place like bazy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so glad. I'm so glad I'm young and they don't have any of this stuff. I'm so glad. I'm always funny. Uh. And so he sits on next to a sandbox with real kids and he asks, Sean, it's not like I can't make new friends, right. The pigeon lady then shoves a piece of bread into his mouth. I thought this was a very funny bit. Did you not see it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was okay.
Speaker 1: You weren't watching, or you didn't see it, or I saw it.
Speaker 2: I just didn't think it was that good of a bit.
Speaker 1: I thought it was cute.
Speaker 4: I was like, Corey, Tony.
Speaker 1: He's a bird, he's a bird lady, and he got that's that's my favorite Corey. This Corey Corey where he is trying to convince everyone okay and he's become a bird lady in one second and somebody's putting bird and food food in his mouth like that. I like that. That's that's what I wanted to see more of. Was Tvin. He was okay, feed the birds, feed the birds, feed the bird.
Speaker 4: Yes, this was a Jeff Jeff Sherman moment.
Speaker 2: Do you want to explain that?
Speaker 4: Well, his parents, his father and uncle, were the Sherman brothers who wrote all the music for Mary Poppins and everything, so they wrote. His dad wrote feed the Birds. It was like his baby that song. So I'm guessing that had something to do with the feeding the birds.
Speaker 1: That sounds good.
Speaker 2: Do you think they tied? Did you think these pigeons had clipped wings?
Speaker 1: Yes? No, no, you had to right, Yeah, they're not there. They were not going to deal with pigeons that were now trapped in our seventy five foot rafters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true too. Yeah, I could have gotten him down with grapes and then caught the grapes.
Speaker 1: In my mind, that's true. You could have caught a pigeon mouth. Throw a pigeon up, catch it in your mouth.
Speaker 4: I'm right down there. I could do it the first time. I couldn't repeat it, but I could do it the first time.
Speaker 1: I I just thought that I was really happy that, like, I was only in a handful of episodes this season, and then they had left over money at the end of it, and they were like, let's build a new set. Let's get real pigeons, Let's get real children, and a pigeon lady and.
Speaker 4: A pigeon lady, and let's go there.
Speaker 1: So then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. Corey announces to his family, I've decided I'm spending my summer in Atlanta selling international flags at the Olympic Village. Alan tells them, no, you're not, and Corey responds, well, then this summer blows.
Speaker 2: So this is the ninety six Olympics and this is Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Can I have to Can you guys go with me for a little bit of a wild ride here?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, of course, it is worth noting, much like The Simpsons tells the future all the time, this is quite a joke for Boy Meets World. It was that summer in nineteen ninety six that the Olympics would eventually take place in Atlanta and in the Centennial Olympic Park, where there would be a bombing that killed one person and injured one hundred and one hundred and eleven people. And I'm reminding you, Corey says, this summer blows. What the heck hold on?
Speaker 2: This an eleven brother, He's an eleven brother.
Speaker 1: This whole event was recently immortalized in the movie Jewel, about security guard Richard Jewel, who was falsely accused of planting the bomb. Here's where it gets a little weirder. This past weekend, Jensen and I ran into the actor who played Richard Jewel and there are kids played together. Is this not insane that it all happened within days?
Speaker 2: Nope, not insane.
Speaker 4: Home.
Speaker 1: So we just had a live show in Atlanta International Event and I look good in Jewel to you cannot tell me these things.
Speaker 2: You were wearing jewels in your life, and you like jewels.
Speaker 1: I like them.
Speaker 4: I like them.
Speaker 2: Singer Jewel. You like listening to Jewels music is great? I yes, this is all coming together.
Speaker 4: It were coming around Christmas time, and the man who actually did the bombing's name was Eric Robert.
Speaker 2: Rudolph Rudolph, Rudolph Rudolph.
Speaker 1: Got you guys.
Speaker 2: It is so nice.
Speaker 1: I so glad we're all on the same page. I'm really thank you. I thought I was crazy. I'm so glad you guys agree with me. Amy chimes in, This summer's barely started. Just in case you need to be reminded that Corey predicted the future. Then Corey interrupts her and I already got no Topanga, I got no, Sean, I got nothing. Alan reminds him, your brother's here for another week. He's about to tell everyone about his upcoming trip, and this is where I went, Oh, so he really is driving for two months alone. Corey scoffs, I'm not really interested in Eric's trip.
Speaker 4: Sure, Dick, No, he's he's he's what is it transference, he's you know, he's angry.
Speaker 2: No, but I want to see it come from I do too.
Speaker 4: I want him to earn it and not have been angry the entire react to something I.
Speaker 1: Know Eric has then angry. Oh, you're right, core We'll put my entire cross country trip on hold so you can tell us how great the park is. How is that monkey bar restoration coming? Where does that come from? What does that mean?
Speaker 4: It should have been? If they are gonna go with Corey being angry all the time, it should have then just been Eric being confused about why he was angry. Yeah, meeting his anger with more anger exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, you say a lot of reasonable things. Between this and then a bedroom scene, I kept being like, yeah, Eric's awesome. Eric has been so nice and so great, and like, what the hell now?
Speaker 4: I get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And by the way, I do think looking back over all the episodes, especially of this season, there have been a lot of times Eric has been not the nicest, a bit of a jerk to his brother. I have no problem with the idea that Corey is suddenly feeling right.
Speaker 2: It just he needs to react to something concrete. He can't point to anything and say Eric, besides the fact that Eric's leaving right, Eric is not doing anything anti Corey like, and it should be Corey should be able to point to an actual story event, like we had a plan and you bailed on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, if that.
Speaker 2: Had been the beginning of the episode, or even to Benga and him had a plan and she bailed on him. But like, none of it. It's just all talk. It's just all my summer was going to be this, and it's like okay, well that's all abstract and so it's hard to connect to if it had been a real story point, like Corey had a plan for the summer, he was going to do this with Sean, then this with the Panga and this with Eric and then it all fell through. But instead it's just we get to spend all the time, No we don't. Well now I'm pissed.
Speaker 4: And it's like the other thing that they could have done is he just he's faking it the entire time until one small thing like the baseball yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just seeing the rooms. Just seeing the room could have been emotional, right like yeah, which also emotional.
Speaker 4: Who packs their whole bedroom to go to college, But we'll get into that. Nobody does that. You bring some clothes, you bring some you don't bring the stuff on your walls and stuff like that. You don't pack your hold.
Speaker 2: Everybody keeps their bedroom until they're forty seven years old.
Speaker 5: Not everyone's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Tried.
Speaker 4: I've tried a hundred times. They will not let my father will not let me make people pack up their rooms, especial college.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god, look all not everybody yet. Not everybody has like an extra room that their parents can just keep open. I don't know, man, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, most people don't they go, especially because you're still nineteen or twenty. You go to college, you decorate your room how you want it, and you're still coming home to your house most of the time. You're not moving your entire bedroom to your college dorm.
Speaker 2: That's just you don't.
Speaker 4: You come back and you've got your little stuff and occasionally take a trinket here or there. Eric is like boxes of trophies from when he was like I'm bringing my Little League trophies with me to college. I know.
Speaker 1: You you go to college, you do kind of want like a new start, like my grown up room.
Speaker 2: This is your room. Yeah, it's yeah, you got to get that pulp fiction poster. Yea yeah, there's always like the same Force Marley poster. It's it's like every college dorm in the nineties, that's where the big spot.
Speaker 1: Uh, train spotting was a big one. Yeah, y, Corey says, defensively, it's a jungle gym. Why don't you tell us how you're gonna see the Grand Canyon in four and a half minutes? By donkey and I love the way, he says, Bye, donkey, donkey, Dunky, Bye donkey donkey. Amy tells the boys to stop sniping. Eric says it'll stop for good when I leave next week. Corey laughs, there's Eric always leaving. Why should I be surprised? Hey, core want to shoot some oops? Oh wait, here comes Janis? Or Hey Core want to ride to school? Oh wait, my friends want rides. Eric responds while leaving, I'd like to stay and take some more abuse, but oops, I've got more packing to do, and we hear the live audience wins they kind of do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Morgan tells Corey, I'll be your friend this summer. Corey grabs her hand and thanks her. Then Morgan realizes, Oops, I forgot I have day camp. Amy pats Corey on the shoulder and asks what he's really upset about. Corey admits, I'm upset that the pang is going to camp. How could she do that? Amy reminds him she's fifteen years old. She has a right to go to camp. Corey responds, you guys never sent me to camp. Alan and Amy reveal we tried to send you to camp when you were eight, but we had to take you home every day. You sent us letters telling us they were conducting medical experiments on you. Corey says they were they were.
Speaker 4: I love how he starts. How Alan starts, so are you and yeah? Great?
Speaker 1: Corey met Amy assures him this is going to be a great summer. Corey asks you really believe that? She nods, yeah, I do. And then we're in Eric and Corey's room, a rare appearance in season three.
Speaker 2: I know, and probably maybe the last time we ever seek. I was, Oh, you're right, Celary's in there. Okay, yeah, but so so because Eric doesn't move out, you just come back to this room next season.
Speaker 1: I think, so, I think this room's here. The whole time I started to get sad.
Speaker 2: I was like, maybe this is the last time we see it.
Speaker 4: No, it's the last time we see Alex, but it's not the last time the bedroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, but so what how does that last scene resolve? I don't understand, like, is Corey feeling better about Eric, because then he walks into this scene and we just repeat the fight from the previous scene, like.
Speaker 1: Well, no, he comes in ready to make amends. Corey comes in and actually he tries to fix things. So Eric's packing when Corey walks in and tries to lessen the tension by saying, I know this week hasn't been the easiest for any of us, but uh, and then he gets distracted by the state of the room. Look at this mess. Eric surveys the scene. Yep, many years to pack away. Corey responds, yeah, but look at my bed. The bed is made, but it's got a sock on it. Eric tells him that's actually how you left it this morning. But when Corey disagrees, Eric responds, fine, I'll move my sock. Eric fixes the mess. I know your summer's off to a rough start, Corey, but look at the good I'll be out of here in a week and you're gonna have the entire room to yourself. Corey shakes his head. I've always had this room to myself. Eric asks what's that supposed to mean? And Corey says, come on, the way you treat me, and you got to ask. You ignore me. You never actually did anything with me because you wanted to and Eric Eric says, what am I supposed to say to that? Corey? You're three years younger than me. I have my own friends. Corey asks, and where will your friends going to be next year? You'll all be at different colleges, but I'll still be your brother, Eric, Eric sarcastically responds, you're right, Corey, terrible brother, and he continues to pack his stuff away. Corey grabs a baseball from the pile. What are you doing with this? Eric says he's taking it to college. Corey says, that's my Mike Schmidt autographed baseball. Eric says he signed it for both of us, and Corey tries to grab the ball back. This starts a small little tug of war over the possession. When Eric comes out victorious, he says, you're absolutely right, this is your ball. You want it here? Catch, and then he throws the baseball out the open window.
Speaker 2: Windows open.
Speaker 4: But how close we are tois? I'm surprised we didn't hear a smash next door exactly.
Speaker 2: That would have been a good beat.
Speaker 1: It would have been funny. Corey lunges at him. I can't believe you just did that. Eric dodges the attack. Please don't do that because you're going to get hurt. And then they start shoving each other back and forth. Eric slams Corey onto the bed, pushing him so we can't get up. This is very real filling will How was it?
Speaker 4: But it's also exactly the same fight as exactly, Hey, don't you're gonna get hurt. It's all the same. I mean, like even the dialogue the same, the same. Yeah, and then it just ends with the weird wrestle tussle, which is a real brother fight. Brothers don't throw punches, mostly some do. But it was exactly the same as I was waiting for Tony and Alex come in and go. You guys realize you're fighting each other? Right, It was just it would have been great, But yeah, it was matchos matchews, matchews. You realize you fight each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think they were a little hooked on that scene still, Yeah, and they.
Speaker 1: Wrote, well, what do you remember about wrestling Ben like that? Do you remember anything about the choreographing of it?
Speaker 4: Or I didn't even remember that we fought?
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: Nothing, nothing whatsoever. So, yeah, I imagine we had we had fun. Ben always got into this.
Speaker 1: Just make something, just make it up. I don't remember. I didn't remember.
Speaker 4: I'm yeah, I've I've been working with Ben. Was always fun, especially with the physical stuff. So I'm sure we like, all right, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna do this and we're gonna grab onto each other. I mean, I'm sure we had a good time, but I remember none of this whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Alan and Amy run into the room and immediately pull Eric off of Corey. Alan asks, what's the matter with you too?
Speaker 2: Amy always know that something's going on.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for you can hear the feet on the floor, yeah, or like you hear like.
Speaker 2: I mean hear you guys aren't being loud, like if you were screaming.
Speaker 1: They still have a monitor, like a baby monitor in the room. They anitor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I was kind of like again, like they had to break up the fight, right because it was a repeat beat of what happened in the hallway, right, and so it was like, oh, let'll just have the parents run in. But it doesn't actually make sense to me.
Speaker 1: No, you're right. There's really no way they would know. But Amy els, this is our last week altogether, and it's your last week sharing this room. Eric announces, I don't have to share it for another week. I don't really need this anymore. I'm out of here tomorrow. Commerciall break and then we're in the Matthew's living room. Eric storms downstairs as Amy and Alan or right behind him. Alan tells him he is not leaving tomorrow. Eric insists, yes, I am. Alan sternly explains, maybe you didn't hear me. You are not leaving tomorrow. You haven't gotten your letter of acceptance to college yet. Eric tells him, I'm on the waiting list. I'm not giving this trip up. Amy tries to calm him down. You're upset about your brother, and you are not thinking this through. Trying to get Eric to stay, she says, maybe when you're a parent and your first child is about to leave home, you will understand that every day, every minute, makes a difference.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a random question that might be did the living room look different to you? Guys?
Speaker 4: No, no, not that I there's something you can you put your finger on.
Speaker 2: Busier, It felt like there were more stuff on the walls or in the background, I don't know, just look different to me. I was like suddenly aware of the living room in a way that first of all, we haven't seen the living room in a long time, but I was looking at it, going, something's different about the.
Speaker 1: Different or change the family picture because it was Lily and the family picture.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, man, something I want to go back to the family photo. I don't know. I I felt like something was different this whole set every time we went we're in the set this episode, I was like, what's different? Why does this not feel right? It felt like a different color or something in the background. Maybe it's a giant plant. There was something that I was like, this doesn't feel the same to me. I don't know what it is. So if ore more, I gotta go back to yeah more. Astute viewers can our listeners can can let me know if they've noticed anything. It's something about the living and felt off to me.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Eric asks, you don't think I'm freaked out about leaving going to college, being on my own, doing my own laundry. I'm having nightmares. White's easy, Dark's easy. What about my white shirt with black stripes?
Speaker 4: What then?
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna slip into a Seinfeld A little bit more then and you're still my own laundry. I was like, wait, wait, and then.
Speaker 4: That That line and then one other line later are the only things I remember about this entire episode. But I distinctly remember that, what about the white shirt with the black stripes? With things? I think I said that for years after I was started to do my own laundry, I feel like a white shirts, like what do I do?
Speaker 1: What do I do with this?
Speaker 4: What do I do? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Alan says this tough on everyone. Eric says that's why he's just taking off now. Amy reveals they have a goodbye dinner plan. Eric says if they move the dinner to tomorrow night, he'll stay one extra day. Alan says they'll think about it and tells Eric another little bit of advice. You take that extra day and try to figure out what is bothering your brother. And again, why is it Eric's responsibility to try and figure out what's going on with Corey? I felt like this. The overall note I have that bums me out about this is that Corey is making this whole thing about him, and he's not expressing himself. Well, he's acting angry, and then it's like on everyone else to figure it out.
Speaker 2: I know. There's a weird thing, Like, you know, there's a sort of a delusion that everybody has as a child and as a teenager, which is that you're the protagonist of your own story, right, that you're like the star of your own sort of TV show. Except in the world a Boy meets World, everybody else also acts like that, do you know what I mean? So Corey's suffering from that delusion, and yet the whole show also, right, it's yes, like Sean is always like, well, I'll just be your best friend no matter what, and t Penga's like I'll be your girl no matter what, and all the families like tiptoeing around Corey. It's like, but this is this is not great behavior, Like this is this is the precisely the kind of thing that as a teenager you learn to move away from to recognize. Eric also has feelings to Panga has her own life, Sean has it like and that is like I feel like that's ultimately where the episode kind of lands, right, like he is acting but in the meantime, everybody's sort of catering to this delusion in a way that doesn't feel great. I was kind of like, no, like.
Speaker 4: All fairness, he is the star of his own town.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean, right, you know, no exactly, it's it's it's a weird it's a weird way of thinking about it, but it's it's yeah.
Speaker 1: Because normally I would say like, this isn't I love the parenting on Boy Meets World almost every single episode, and in this one I wanted to be like, you know, this is the conversation. Maybe they need to with Corey about the idea that listen, there's something here and you need to get to the bottom of what you're feeling, and it's your responsibility to fix it with your brother before he goes very rightfully on his next journey for where he is. But instead they kind of put it on on Eric.
Speaker 2: For last episode. It's okay that you psychopathically stalked your girlfriend want to be all the way to Florida or like the end of the episode was like, well, at least you got her, you got her back, you got the girl, Cory, you did a good job. It's like, Nope, dude, like you are stalking a woman and like that's awful. That is awful behavior.
Speaker 4: You're also left without telling us, and yes, flew to Florida on a cargo plane. At She's yeah, problems.
Speaker 1: So Eric tells them, I've shared a room with him for fifteen years. I have no idea what's bothering him? And Alan responds, maybe that's your answer. So then we're at Chubby's, because where else would this goodbye party be? Of course it's at Chebys. Amy is holding graduate Eric's arm, saying she's so glad he stayed.
Speaker 2: All the regulars are invited.
Speaker 1: Yep, no one dinner party is really cool.
Speaker 2: There's no dinner, there's no real No.
Speaker 1: There was food, nobody had eaten it, nobody ate it.
Speaker 4: It was burgers, but yet all and the fries are just sitting out uncovered, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking to ketch Up so I'm king soda. But the first time it was weird.
Speaker 1: You've got a bad drinking class, Like it looks.
Speaker 2: Like I'm drinking a beer.
Speaker 4: It's like, yes, Sean doing you got very perfectly stacked burgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one's touched the food, so we couldn't even we couldn't even pretend that the party had already happened, and these were just the people who hung around like family after we had no food has been eaten. None of Eric's friends are here, but Corey's girlfriend and Cory's best friend are here, which we.
Speaker 2: Have to give a line to. Even Corey's friends could come or whatever. Yes, it's like, but then what is been doing like that?
Speaker 1: I don't know that was holding onto us. I don't get it. The cameras, I know.
Speaker 2: But like this hasn't been quite set. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this scene was gave me a little gave me a little adgitive watching this.
Speaker 1: I agree this whole thing was. This scene felt very uncomfortable to me. So Corey's got his arms around to Panga and Sean. They're swaying back and forth uncomfortably. Amy says, considering how he feels about Seawan and Tepanga leaving for the summer, we thought that this would be a good idea to invite them there. Sean tells Corey, take your arms off me, man, you're making me nervous. Corey continues swaying with Topanga until she also maneuvers out of the way of the odd moment, and then we see mister Feeney who initiated what do you say? Uh huh he says, am I also making you uncomfortable?
Speaker 4: Uh huh. Okay, it was weird. It was like run over or it's not a shorng joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was waiting for like a good response that could have been a laugh, but instead it's like played.
Speaker 1: For just the discomfort, and it.
Speaker 4: Was the whole thing was very Strange's not funny, No, not.
Speaker 1: Funny, not great poene who initiates a toast saying he has something more to say. We also see Turner and mister Williams are there. They probably don't say single word. Morgan Brown's oh no, the Feenie has more to say. Alan tells her he's going to be your principal one day, but in reality that's not actually a problem for her because he followed us into college. Yeh, she's totally saying.
Speaker 4: She's fine, She's fine.
Speaker 1: And then Phoene gives a nice little speech about being proud of Eric and ads. I brought a little gift. I took the liberty to pull this and have it framed your high school diploma. Everyone cheers except Corey. Eric, thanks, Foene, I know how much you hate to be touched, but give me this one. He pulls him in for a hug and Peoene pats him on the arm, looking uncomfortable, saying, all right, Eric, all right. Alan runs up to Corey.
Speaker 4: Hatey.
Speaker 1: Don't you want to say something? Tapanga encourages encourages him. Come on, he's your brother, you should say something. Corey tells her. No, I don't have anything planned. Eric announces this diploma, which signifies my intelligence belongs as much to you as it does to I. Phoeni corrects him me. Eric responds, I included you. I included you, Corey Van Yell's attention everybody. He toasts to my brother Eric, who's moving out, and not just for four years, probably forever. And I don't even know him. He starts to get choked up as he continues, and now I probably never will fifteen years in the same room, Eric, fifteen years. Corey shakes his brother's hand and says, good.
Speaker 2: Nothing specific to complain about, and also I just want him to say that for me, you remember the time you I had this plan, and like the line in the kitchen, that is the most potent is when he says about like oh I got to go hang out with Janis, which we've seen before, and that makes sense, like, oh, Eric is too focused on girls. If he could say in this moment, like do you remember when I was going to do this with you and you bailed on meat on that date with so and so and what about the time, But instead he just guilt trip, yes, just anything. But instead it's like this vague, abstract guilt trip that it's I'm just like, shut up, Corey, it's not your dinner, Like, I know, sit down, kid, and like why is nobody saying that, Like, hey, buddy, this isn't about you. Shut out, don't have line.
Speaker 1: That's wow, I know, I agree, and I agree to it stinks because I love the concept of.
Speaker 2: The heeling abandoned by the older brother. It's an emotional connectivity that we should feel. I love it too. It's great, it's a beautiful sentiment. It just is so like poorly delivered it again, you're.
Speaker 4: Right, though, writer. It starts he's because they started him at anger and that's where he's paid. So by this point you're just like, I don't care about it, And then.
Speaker 2: The reveal is that he stole your your your letter letter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's actually ruining your freaking life, and like no punishment for that, no acknowledgment. No, you're just kind of like, oh, okay, well least I'll open it now. And it's like, wait a minute. So Coory not only is emotionally making everybody scramble and feel bad for him even though other people are totally fine and doing their life, he's also going behind your back and stealing your acceptance letter.
Speaker 4: No, but it's true. It's it's very Yeah. It was again, there was no build to it. There was no specific reasoning for it. There was no I mean, it was just angry.
Speaker 1: It's seen still felt angry. Even though I think it was supposed to be choked up. I didn't feel like it was super choked up. I felt like it was still like a.
Speaker 4: It should have been.
Speaker 2: I'm going into the scene, I'm gonna have a positive attitude, I'm gonna give a good speech and he starts to do it and he can't finish it because he starts starts an overwhelmed and he has to leave. Then I would be like, oh, poor Corey, he's really sad about his brother. Yeah, but he said, it's like you suck? Can you suck? Can you suck?
Speaker 1: Okay, dude, I know, Okay, bye bye, No cool story, bro exactly, I know, I know. So Ory shakes his brother's hand and says goodbye. I hope you have a nice life. I really do. Good Okay, oh right, thanks me too, bro Ham. He looks at everyone else at the dinner and apologizes to them before walking away. Drama quin, Okay, this next part. I can't wait. We're in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric was getting ready to leave, tells everyone cars all loaded. Amy asks, are you sure you can't stay for breakfast? I could fix you an omelet, toast, pancakes, muffins, pizza. Eric asked, you just want me to stay get empty?
Speaker 2: Did you guys notice the exterior for.
Speaker 1: This, Oh, the house?
Speaker 2: It looked yeah, the house. No, they completely over color corrected it to make it look like sunrise. So it was. It was so weird looking.
Speaker 4: It was weird.
Speaker 2: It looked like like a post apocalyptic like a movie where it's like, you know, the sun has been blotted out. I was like, what is going on? It's all radioactive? Like yeah, because the colors because like color correction wasn't that great back then. You couldn't do like power windows where you could just select the sky. So in order to make the sky look like a sunset, you have to like create all change all the colors. So the tree, the house, the grass looks like radio. It's so weird, looking like one is going on a head to go back. I'm like, Oh, they wanted it to be sunrise, but they couldn't do that because they didn't want to get new footage of us. So yeah, to make the sky pink, they had to like completely overcolor correct the hole.
Speaker 1: So to writer's point, it's very very early in the morning after nuclear bomb. After the nuclear bomb has dropped, she's still in her robe. Amy is still in her robe. Alan reminds Eric, don't forget to say goodbye to your brother. Eric admits he hasn't seen him this morning. Alan says he slept on the couch. He's pretty embarrassed about last night. Eric says, there's nothing to be embarrassed about, and he walks into the couch room to let him know. And now we're in the living room. Eric announces, Corey, get up, your brother's leaving. But Corey isn't on the couch. He's left. Amy says, he said he was going to the park to say goodbye to Panga. Maybe he already left. Eric, clearly sad, says, well, just tell him goodbye and give him a hug for me. Alan explains, we'll hug him, but I don't think that's gonna make Corey feel any better. Still worried about how Corey is feeling, even though Corey left on the day, his morning his brother is leaving, Eric says, well, I'm just going off to college. I mean, I'm still his brother. Alan explains, Now it's just going off to college, then it's gonna be just getting married, just having kids. But you will never be the same brothers you were upstairs sharing that room.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: Absolutely correctly shares that's not his fault. But he's the older brother, and Amy adds, yes, but it's not Corey's fault. He's the younger brother. So it's no one's fault.
Speaker 2: Right, So why do we cater to the ones who are we out and like making everybody's life miserable?
Speaker 1: Like wit, just sit down, b go live your freaking life. Eric emphasizes he's three years younger than me, he's got his own girlfriend, he's got his own buddiest. I bet he'd understand me now, and Alan tells him it sounds like you have a lot more in common now. Eric admits, I never really looked at it like that. I guess Cory and I could be friends now. Amy says, his girlfriend's leaving him for the summer, so you better feel bad for him brother, and his best friend's leaving him for the summer. And now his brother, who he's never really had the chance to get to know as a friend, is leaving forever, and Eric asks, but why aren't you guys upset, Alan tells him, well, we got to know you. It's okay, you can leave. Amy, Pat's Eric on the shoulder, your father and I know you're a good guy and you have a good heart. You've always made us proud, hass has he though? Has he always made a brack?
Speaker 4: Yes, he's made nothing but right decision after right.
Speaker 2: This whole scene is just exposition. Here's how I feel, here's how you feel, how we feel, And just get to the part where they hug each other goodbye, because it actually did get me a little bit It's pretty emotional watching Betsy.
Speaker 4: Starts here up.
Speaker 2: And I do love the idea of, like, you know, saying having a scene about saying goodbye to your college. Like this should just be about Eric all this Cory stuff.
Speaker 4: It should just be like.
Speaker 2: Corey's gone, Oh that sucks, he's a bummer. Now let's just talk about Eric leaving and how sad, Like, I don't know, let's make that a scene instead of catering to the you.
Speaker 1: Know, absolutely, Alan stutters and pulls out his wallet. He's not very good at that. He gives Eric a few bucks, you know, for emergencies. Eric asks what about the gold cart and Alan immediately responds no, no. Morgan runs down the stairs. She wants to give him something. She hands him fluffers, her stuffed teddy bear. He's honored. It's her favorite thing, Morgan.
Speaker 2: He seem a little old to be wearing footy pajamas and carrying around.
Speaker 1: Why is she wearing footy pajama You can tell that.
Speaker 2: There was this like, let's let's infantilize her a little bit. We just have to make her cute for the scenes. And it's like, no, Like Lindsay's a good actress. It's a funny. She's already developed this like.
Speaker 4: Supposed to be eight, she says eight in the scene. Okay, so she.
Speaker 2: Looks a little older, and I know I wanted her to just act a little older like that.
Speaker 1: Why couldn't she just be in regular pajamas?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I also think it would have been cuter if she's actually trying to be older, yes, and handing him her teddy bear to show that.
Speaker 1: She's what the thing is to say that, she says, I'm eight. What do I need a teddy bear for?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: She came into it with the false con with normal pajamas, pretending to be listen, I'm clearly right, and because for me and I'd like it to watch over you and for her to then be having a hard time letting go of the bear.
Speaker 2: Yes, and also the bear looks brand new and that anybody has had for more than a year or time.
Speaker 1: It's that I slept with, which was short for bunny. I got it on the day I was born. I still have it, and it was It's a little cloth thing that I wore all the seams out of. It's now this long and thin and completely unrecognizable because it is so.
Speaker 2: Love they get dirty, chewed up.
Speaker 1: It's not yes, oh my children and their lovies. We're all going to die from whatever bacteria is in there. It's where we are all going to die. So he Eric asks, are you giving it to me for luck? And she tells him no, I'm eight years old. What do I need a stink and bear for? Eric asks you're gonna miss me Morgan, she responds, I already do. As they give each other a big hug. This is her first really like non sarcastic, very sweet scene we've seen from her. So I guess there's nothing left to say but goodbye. I love you all very much. Amy starts to cry, and she pulls them in for a hug, saying they love him too. Alan and Morgan join in to give him a big group hug, but there's no Corey.
Speaker 5: Do you think we knew that we were picked up for a fourth I was thinking the same thing, because this might have been the way that they were trying to end the whole show. No, I think we knew we were coming back for we must have known. I think this is the first year we knew we were coming back, Like, actually knew we were coming back I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we must have, because I don't know. You wouldn't end this season this way. If it was potentially the end, it would have been a Corey thing. It would have been absolutely But it is interesting in this episode because it's about Eric and Corey. It does harken back to the pilot and the first the first season, in the sense that he's the younger brother or the middle brother who's getting overlooked right like, and yeah, I really wish I could. I like that return, I like the return to that idea, and I wish they.
Speaker 4: Didn't return their return. I wish, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Alan tells him, go on, you want to beat the rush hour. Eric is walking out and leaves fluffers at the door for Morgan. Amy and Alan smile at Eric as he leaves, while Morgan is hugging Alan so she doesn't have to watch. Eric shuts the door and Amy walks over to Alan crying cry. Very emotional little scene.
Speaker 4: They tried to do the Radar thing for Mash It didn't work. When Radar's character leaves, he has it bear with him the whole time he's in the war, and when they he leaves, Hawkeye comes back into the swamp and the bear is sitting on hawkeyes like like cocked, and they're all sitting there pouring drinks and they look down and they just pick it up and they go buy radar and it's like he came a kid and he left a man. Like it worked perfectly, and this one it was just kind of like there's a new bear.
Speaker 1: He's just leaving right. Well, you also were just handed the ban.
Speaker 4: It wasn't there was nothing.
Speaker 2: Is that The Run and Running Cowboy episode of Mash or.
Speaker 4: Jane Radar Season eight, Season eight?
Speaker 1: I think will what wrote the scene?
Speaker 4: I would love to have.
Speaker 1: So now we're at the park at night.
Speaker 2: No sunrise. No, it's a nice it's a nice violet light going on.
Speaker 4: So is it supposed to be I didn't know when it's night?
Speaker 2: No, it's later that morning.
Speaker 1: Later that morning it got darker. It got darker.
Speaker 2: Sunrisey.
Speaker 1: It's not sunrisy. He drove halfway to New Jersey, he says in the scene, and then turned around and came back. It's nighttime all day and Topanga is getting picked up by a bus at the park, at the park to start her camp at night. Hey, everybody, come on into park. Come on into camp. Welcome, here's your bed mate. Don't drink too much because we can't don't don't have time to show you where the bathrooms are. Get into your bed and go to sleep. It's the first night of camp. It's nighttime. We've been there for twelve hours.
Speaker 2: I thought it was still just later on that morning. I thought it like night or you seway to Jersey would only take him? Like get darker?
Speaker 1: What why would it be getting darker? It's not getting You saw the blown out house at sunrise, there was light outside. Why would it still be dark at the pot?
Speaker 2: I thought that this was I don't I didn't read this as nighttime. I didn't read this as dark. I read this as like morning, magic hour lighting.
Speaker 4: Okay, but it's magic hour, not magic day. So if he's already they had the whole scene and then drove halfway, how.
Speaker 1: Long would it take to get from Philly to New Jersey?
Speaker 2: Only like an hour or two?
Speaker 4: But then again, how is it still twilight?
Speaker 1: It's two hours later, it's like dusk for four minutes.
Speaker 2: I think I think they got They really liked the idea of like a sunrise. Look, yes, absolutely, so that's what they're aiming for and it's just a little too dark for your taste. Yes, it's sunrise. It's the whole like early morning. The summer's beginning, and we're going off onto new adventures and everybody saying goodbye, and you're just saying it's too dark. It is dark.
Speaker 1: It was nighttime, dark, magic hour morning for How long is magic hour?
Speaker 2: As long as it takes to make it aesthetically pleasing?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I didn't get it, but it's really weird to me. Corey and t Bank are sitting on the swings and Tabanga admits, I don't know if I want to go to Penga says, usually I'm really looking forward to camp this time, I'd rather spend the summer with you, and that scares me. I want you to have a good time at camp. Okay, I'm completely secure, Corey says, and then he follows it up with you swear on your life it's an all girls camp. Tapega grabs his hands. She wants him to have a great time this summer. Cory ashers or don't you worry about me? He walks over to the same pigeon lady, once again feeding her friends. He sits down next to her and opens his mouth for her to stick bread in it again. Sean then arrives Corey. I can't leave you like this, man, Corey asks what he's doing here? Me and my dad are hitting the road, so I figured i'd say goodbye. A horn honks and Tapega says, that's my bus. Another horn honks to the tune of luck Kukaracha, and Sean says, that's my house. Tapega says she should get going and pulls Corey in for a kiss. I'll miss you, Sean says, I'll see you in a couple of months. Okay. Corey nods yeah, take care of yourself, Sean. They give each other a bro handshake and a hug. Corey is now alone.
Speaker 2: Sean and Topanga completely ignore each other.
Speaker 1: Yes, so.
Speaker 2: Great to have like a group hug or like a conversation. Do I care that I'm not seeing you? Do you care that you're not.
Speaker 1: Sell What I think really is happening is that the truth is where I'm not going camp. I'm going with you for the Summer's right.
Speaker 4: As you walked off, Sue looked at me and she went, oh, they're hooking.
Speaker 2: Up, so it's like, yeah no by like protagonist of the show gets all the attention. Everybody else is just we're just all decorations and.
Speaker 4: Away, trying to make it look like you didn't really like each other. And around the corner, make an app make an ass.
Speaker 1: So Corey grabs a basketball and pretends to be an announcer Corey Matthews. He looks for the open man. It's Corey Matthews. He passes it to Matthews. Matthew sees Matthew set up for the three. He feeds Matthews. Matthews shoots his shot that is so terrible and off base, lands in Eric's hands.
Speaker 4: Which is a great callback to him doing the same thing when he was left alone in the house and was it season one where he's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I thought that was.
Speaker 4: A great callback to that's a great recognize that that's like he's alone. Yep, so cute.
Speaker 1: Eric says, looks like your team could use some help. Corey says, thought you'd be halfway to Jersey by now, and Eric admits I was. Then I realized here I am going off to college and didn't even get a proper goodbye from my brother Corey tells him, I'm you're here too, because I never got to tell you I'm sorry for the way I've been acting. Eric shrugs it off. They're brothers, brothers fight. I go back to why couldn't it just be light here? Why couldn't there just be some sun.
Speaker 4: By the way, it's an hour and thirty two minutes from Philadelphia to New Jersey, So if he got halfway there, he's forty five minutes each way. It's an hour and a half after twilight in the morning.
Speaker 1: And that's with zero track thick let's it's it's a work morning. I don't under I don't know what's going on. I just why could there not just be some sunlight? Somebody had to be like, no, I really like this dark scene.
Speaker 2: There's probably Jeff McCracken. He was probably like Jeff, let's.
Speaker 1: I'd like to talk to Jack. I have I like to have a one.
Speaker 4: I have a note.
Speaker 2: He was he was coming back from Florida. He was overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Just turn the light, spake it dark?
Speaker 2: What we have a swing set this week, dude, Jesus Christ and you know, you know, Michael was like, it's gotta look pretty it's morning, and he was like, Jesus okay, fine, make violet Jesus.
Speaker 1: Okay. Uh they're brothers, brothers fight, Eric says. Corey says, yeah, I don't like it when we fight, you know. And I also don't like it when I do things like this, and then he pulls out a letter and hands it to Eric. It's his letter from North Southwestern San Diego State University. Says he, I mean truly, he says, he took it from the mailbox. Yes, I guess I wasn't ready to let you go. I mean, I've always liked you as a brother, but I'm starting to like you as a friend. Eric's face changes as he opens the envelope he didn't get in and the read you do will is perfect.
Speaker 4: Thank you. This is the moment I remember because during run through, I remember doing it and Alex coming up to me and going you got me, Oh yeah, I got me with that, And I remember I'll always remember that moment because it was like I so respected him as an actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you were like, I'm never going to see you again.
Speaker 2: See you later.
Speaker 1: That It's such a good moment. It's such a good moment. Jensen gasped. He was like not he it totally got him.
Speaker 2: He was like, it's so you know, Eric has just always been the goof off, like the funny guy to see you drop any pretense.
Speaker 1: It's such a bod And the fact that we didn't play into any sort of Oh the joys of Hollywood magic. He worked hard for a few months and it saved. He's gonna make it. It's really like, yeah, no, it still didn't work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were a crappy tea.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: It is a little intense that there's like no alternative to college. I think, like there is no alternative to which I mean, I guess did it really feel that way in the nineties or is it just specific to the boy Meates world works. I feel like a lot of parents I know now are like, I'm cool with my parents. My kid's not going to college, like a lot of people exactly.
Speaker 1: A lot of trade, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: The idea of like that you have to go to college in order to be a functioning member of society has really just not aged well. But I also don't think it was that important back then either.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. It had a lot to do with like. My mom is a first generation American. Her parents came here from Malta and they looked down on trades. My my my mom would have been a makeup artist from the time she was immediately out of high school. She knew all along she that, but her parents were both like, no, we came here to America so that you could do something better than that. Yeah, And my mom was just like, Okay, then I guess I'll be a stay at home mom because she didn't want to be. She didn't want to go to college. She was she didn't love school, and so she then, you know, my parents got married at twenty one and she had me at twenty three, and she didn't become a makeup artist until she was in her fifties.
Speaker 2: So there there was an amazing mom.
Speaker 4: She was.
Speaker 2: She was the world's.
Speaker 1: Best, the world's best. I'm not saying that that's that that's a bad choice or that she wasn't great at it. She obviously was. And it worked for our family because my dad, you know, was definitely like the type to go out and work a lot, and my mom was able to be home and provided the life that I've been able to have because she was able to take me back and forth and do all those things. But my mom's my mom's dream like she's like, I know for she knows for a fact the only reason she didn't pursue it earlier was because in her family it was looked down upon.
Speaker 4: So it's also the first thing that they're out of high schools now is metal shop. Yeah, and you know, wood shop and all that kind of stuff where it's like, go learn to learn a skill. My god, I know, make a fortune being a plumber, electrician. You know how much money those people make.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Corey, you know, Eric didn't get in, and Eric explains it was my mistake thinking I could slack off for three and a half years, work hard for two months and get in. Man, I really wanted to go to college. And like I am for this whole episode, my heart's just breaking for Eric because, yeah, Corey jumps in, you will take a couple of cut courses over the summer. I bet you'll get into an even better school. Maybe you're right. Eric agrees, maybe I can find a school a little closer to home. Corey responds, I know where there's an open bed. Think about it while you're gone across the country. Eric tells him, Nah, that trip was to celebrate. There's nothing to celebrate. Cory asks, you kidding a trip like that, that's something you'll never forget. Eric tells Corey he's right, maybe there is something to celebrate. I am going to take that trip first thing in the morning. Cory asks, why wait? Eric laughs and says, I, okay, So here is another point that maybe it's night. First thing in the morning. I gotta go home for you to pack. They could leave tonight if he had all day to go home and pack. Anyway, moving on.
Speaker 4: He's got to pack up his whole hill.
Speaker 2: Want to die on this hill?
Speaker 1: This is the I do. I think it's okay to die.
Speaker 2: It is ridiculous lighting okay.
Speaker 1: Cory asques why wait? Eric says, like, okay, I gotta two months on the road. Can't think of anybody else I'd rather share the car with.
Speaker 2: Why Why what changes? I'm kind of I'm starting to like you as a friend, and I wanted to know why? What? What? What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Why? Where is the specific concrete example of how these two have connected, or had expectations to spend a summer together. It got ruined in the course of this episode, and now do they why do they come back together? It's just decisions made for abstract conceptions.
Speaker 1: I do think there's a little bit of missed opportunity, not like this new thing I'm learning about you makes me like you more, although that's what's written, but I should.
Speaker 2: Stole list except or in my rejection letter. Yeh, you manipulated me emotionally, you guilt tripped me, you made a horrible speech in my thing, and I've come all this way back to say, uh, I'm going away and goodbye. But now I'm going to invite you to come with me. Because they're such.
Speaker 1: A earlier in the scene with Alan and Amy, he specifically says, oh, we have more in common. Now, I guess I've never thought about that, So I guess it's more about missed opportunity, Like, here's an opportunity that's presenting itself, which is a good opportunity for us to actually get to know each other, to see if we like each other as opposed to I wish they did not set it up that I already like you. I'd like to spend two months with you more about why don't we use this summer getting to know each other.
Speaker 2: Right, let's stats go on this advance.
Speaker 1: Let's go on this adventure together that we have the chance, and let's see, I don't really know you as as a as a more adult, mature person with your own life. Let's let's do with this together. That would have been kind of fun. And then I have no idea what happens in the next episodes, but I would have loved it if then they're just at each other's through. I don't like you. I figured it out. Corey says, this is going to be a summer they'll never forget. Eric tells him things always seem to work out for the best. Corey responds, I've always believed that, and we end with a freeze frame of Eric patting Corey on the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, freeze frame free Does he always believe that?
Speaker 1: Or was that Amy's believe? Has Corey really believed everything was going to work out?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, he's been a whiny protagonists talking about the anagonist, a winetagonist, just constantly complaining about all the other characters not catering to his needs, and he was very so the last two episodes.
Speaker 4: Corey's been very unlikable. To me, Yeah, they kind of ended this whole season. They really ended with a whim. Well, really the last two, I mean really the last two back to back. It didn't end great.
Speaker 1: Season three, well, then we're in the tag. We're in the Matthew's kitchen. Eric announces to everyone. On day two, we see Virginia and Washington d C. Phoeney tells them, don't forget to give yourselves at least a day in Boston. Corey agrees, the cheers bar maybe they'll know my name. Phoene responds, I was thinking more along the lines of Bunker Hill, Old North Church. Eric looks at Corey. Remember we're on a strict budget. Amy nudges Alan. He pulls out his wallet and tells the boys see Washington. As he hands them some more money. Morgan gives them a thumbs up and says, you guys are good together. Okay, that's all we need. The Rhodes calling, Corey and Eric say their goodbyes to the family and to mister Feeney. Alan reminds them part of the deal of the strip is that you check out some colleges along the way, and Eric scoffs, that's the whole reason. We're going to lane Ball State, Memphis State.
Speaker 2: State, State State. So good at the door State.
Speaker 1: Now outside, Corey tells Eric, what makes you think I would want to spend my summer, the summer of my fifteenth year, seeing a bunch of colleges. Already, Corey's making this trip about him, this summer of his fifteenth year, this.
Speaker 2: Summer of my fifteenth year. Not that you are going to ruin my summer. I am the protagonist of the show. To my needs, and what are my needs? Girls and bikinis.
Speaker 1: Let's go making a huge deal out of going to an all girls school.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna go check out ladies at the beaches.
Speaker 1: Yep, so great, Eric says, because we're seeing them on our way to hear and Ane's Corey a piece of paper that says Myrtle Beach, South Beach, Fort Lauderdale, South Padre Island, and Malibu. Eric ads Smith Sony and they both yell, and they both laugh and yell yeah right as they grab their duffel bags and head out to see the bikini chicks, while Corey gilts Topanga for being at an all girls camp. And we close it.
Speaker 4: It really ends with yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we have merch.
Speaker 4: Mister Williams, we hardly knew ye merch.
Speaker 1: Join us for our next episode, which will be our end of the season wrap up with the Bruh meets World guys. We always love talking to them at the end of a season. I can't wait to find out what their hits and missus are. And then we will be starting season four in twenty twenty four with our first episode recap Season four Episode one, You Can Go Home Again Writer, send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and boy Meets World superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show, or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.