Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what you Really missed podcast. Oh my god, grand cousin's here, and I'm zan girl of our friend. So weird because he's such a nice man, and I'm yet I'm still such a fan of him. I mean, I know that's fine, but such a fan. He's so talented and wildly talented. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: And you and I love the flash, so love the yes. And also like Grant was just he was only in seven episodes of Glee, but felt like, I don't know how, but just became like a part of our Glee family very very quickly, and we all felt like he had always been there, and it feels like he was. He did twenty episodes, not seven, so he was Yeah. I think once you're part of that family for a little bit and then that's it. You're stuck with us for life. Mm hmmm. So this is Grant custom.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh god, what the hell?
Speaker 3: Broadway star, hi brid?
Speaker 4: How are we good?
Speaker 2: How are you doing good?
Speaker 4: Let your fancy mics and headphones and.
Speaker 3: Hardly we're professionals.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I know.
Speaker 2: This is that we don't have to leave home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Perfect, it's a perfect job. It's a perfect.
Speaker 3: Job, truly, truly, just get seen Jenna in years.
Speaker 4: I was actually thinking this one because I've run into you a couple of times now. Yeah, And I was like, I don't know when the last time I saw Jenna was.
Speaker 1: A long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a long time.
Speaker 3: I actually don't remember either.
Speaker 4: That's going to see you, to see you, guys.
Speaker 2: I ran into Grant at the Elton John Oscar that was the first time and literally obviously made my night. But then I was like stuck and I walked in. I'm like, I don't know if I have the energy for this. And then the after party got stuck in this corner and it was just like friends. It was Grant and it was like Shashana. It was like all these people that I'm just like, oh, okay, I never left like a five foot radius.
Speaker 4: That's what I always do it.
Speaker 2: That was the goal, because I was so unmotivated to be there. The first one. I was like, my.
Speaker 4: Wife has talked me into going to anything in public.
Speaker 2: I met who is so nice and beautiful. I met Grant's brother in law, A couple of weeknds ago.
Speaker 4: I was not there.
Speaker 1: No, Oh my gosh, and you're a dad.
Speaker 4: I am congrats and your mom I am.
Speaker 1: I am. How old is baby?
Speaker 4: Not? So?
Speaker 1: Baby was two in August.
Speaker 4: She's but she's more like a three enager. Yeah, she's an adult.
Speaker 1: Emma just took some steps today, so we're excited.
Speaker 4: Wait, how old?
Speaker 1: She's eighteen months? So she's like a late walker. She can do it, she just doesn't. She just doesn't want to.
Speaker 4: She's like these people carry me around. I mean Juniper is two and a half and still now. I mean she runs around and it is very wants to be carried, and I'm kind of like, I will carry you as long as I can physically carry you.
Speaker 2: Do you know that's an option?
Speaker 3: Why would you not maybe somebody carry me?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Please? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How is being a dad? That's what Kevin was asking.
Speaker 4: It's the bad. I mean it's everything. You know, it's like stress and fear and but it's love and joy and you know, it's everything. It's it's my favorite thing.
Speaker 2: How has it been doing that in balancing? I guess the professional life because you're so busy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tough, I mean, you know flash, I was in such a groove with because when she was born it was season got it all Please together? It would have been season eight, I guess. And it was tough because I was back at work like two weeks after she was born. She was born, I want to say, like the day we were supposed to have our first table read of season eight, So it was like three days before we started shooting, and I gave our show runner heads up, I'm like, it's very possible I'm not at that table. If I'm not at that table read, it's because my wife is in labor. And that's literally what happened. So but we had it worked out that she was gonna calm around that time and I was gonna miss the first two weeks of filming, and they did magic with the schedules, and then when I showed up, yeah they were they were on the third episode and I shot like a bunch of just like three episodes, like block shot three episodes in a row. It was just like thrown into it with a new baby at home. Yeah, it's it's tough, but it's like you know, and as you guys know, I'm about to go to New York and like we're all picking up together and going there.
Speaker 2: And it makes such an exciting adventure too, exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like it's gonna present challenges obviously, but like I feel like it's going to be a really exciting year to look back on and like we grow together as a family, and like it's going to be tough and you know, fun, like all the things like having being a data is it's gonna be tough and fun and training and exciting and yeah, it's it's it's balance. It's always tough, you know.
Speaker 2: Speaking of New York, let's just start there. How did this happen? You're going to make your Broadway debut being water relevance, congratulation, thank you, that's massive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm terrified, naturally, but I think you know, I was terrified to come do an episode of Glee. I was terrified to start up on Flash. And I've terrified every time I get a job. And I also think every time I get a job that I've tricked somebody and I'm I'm wrong for it and they're all going to find out on day one. And I think that's generally and I know I'm not alone in that, you know.
Speaker 2: Heard, Yeah, So.
Speaker 4: I'm very you know, This was my dream since I was eight nine years old. And you know, I've always said when people have asked, like, what's you have a dream role? What's your dream role? And it's like always been like I want to originate something, you know. So it's like surreal to get to do it and what I think is going to be a really special show. And I've already met a lot of the cast and the creative team and really really sweet people. Seems like a really good group of people. And it's funny. I have a friend in the show, Mike Mendez, Lindsay Mendez's brother, Lindsay's and merrily we roller along right now. And I've known Mike forever because my best friend Kyle Harris, who did Westsid's Story with me, they were like roommates in college and so I've known Mike since I was twenty And yeah, so Mike's in the show, And I mean, this is common knowledge to this piece. I'm about to tell you to everyone that's like musical, like Broadway fans, is this actor Ryan Vasquez is having like an unbelievable year.
Speaker 1: It was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was in The Outsiders, waterf Elephants and the notebook and like did all of the out of town shows for these shows and they are they're all about to be on Broadway, and he had to pick which one he was going to do, which is why I'm lucky enough to something opened up. But it was very traditional, like I was not like handed the keys or anything. I mean, you know, Mike, I know, brought me up and and I was like, yeah, yes, I would love to do something like that. And then it just was I got an appointment to make a tape, and I made a tape, and I got a callback and I flew to New York for the callback and wow, and then I was getting on my plane to fly home and like found out like you got it, so it was wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, iw nerve wracking too. I always think when you have to like travel, Yeah, and I.
Speaker 4: Started, yeah, and we were it was like not My daughter had just started preschool and it was like a really tough first week and she was like crying at every drop off and I was like I can't be a right now, like it was killing me and my dog Jet, who we just had to so goodbye to last week. Yeah, it was tough, but he was kind of it was like the beginning of he wasn't doing that well, you know, so it's been a decline the last few months. There was just like you know, life personal stuff going on, and I was like, I don't want to fight New York right now, like can we zoom callback? And it was like, you know, they'd really want to meet everybody in the room. So I was like and I really wanted it, so I was like, all right, well, you know, we'll just make it happen. Yeah, And I of course, again I was like at that point, my daughter's second wink in preschool and woke up the morning of the callback and was like, I'm sick, Like I had a cold. So I just like went to the callback with a cold just like whatever. I was like, this is you know, I not going to get it. I'm going to get it. So it's just like do my best, and it was you know, it's just of course.
Speaker 1: You know, it's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow. I feel like it probably makes it that much sweeter though, like all those things happened and you still got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It does make me feel like with the inevitable cold hits when she's in school in New York and it's winter, and it's like, all right, well I did sing it with a cold at the callback, so's.
Speaker 3: You know you can't do it? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Those winters are brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm happy for you. It's greatful. Really, it's the opportunity and you worked for it and.
Speaker 4: Really never lived, like live there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've been there like for a move, like an independent movie long like ten years ago, and then like rehearsals for West Side and and then you know, my brother lives there, many visits, but I've never been there for more than like five or six weeks, so.
Speaker 1: I've never been there with Like I'm like, living in the city with a child is definitely new.
Speaker 3: It's that's a challenge, that's new.
Speaker 1: That'll be interesting too.
Speaker 4: A lot of ways it'll be I mean, it's gonna be tough because that's not where we live and we'll have to adjust and it's cold, hurt and like all that stuff. But I think in a lot of ways it's going to be like cool, easier, you know, with like pop out and do anything with her, you know, go to the museums and restaurants and like, you know, parks and it's New York's just walk out the door and see people.
Speaker 2: Like you're all experiencing that for the first time, for the first time together, which is really cool. Wow ye how sweet?
Speaker 1: Well we are. I can't wait, and I'm definitely gonna come and try and.
Speaker 2: We're going to be so My favorite thing to do is like, give me an excuse to go see a friend in a show, I will go.
Speaker 4: I also get nervous, though, because then it's that whole thing of like you got to see them face to face afterwards and be like you were up.
Speaker 1: There, I was really you, like you are having so comes are so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I didn't use that once for the record. One time I saw French I was like, that show was so much fun and I wanted to throw myself in front of a car. You know, it's the worst.
Speaker 1: I like to know if people are in the audience beforehand, or do you want to wait until after the show to know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I see generally yeah, people are like, don't tell me until after, but like, I don't know. I think I'll have to get back to you on that one. It's been so long, I mean I haven't since I haven't been on stage since Westside, and I was you know, baby John, and I wasn't like like sitting in all night, So I think I like to know, though, I think it's like, you know, I think I like to know.
Speaker 1: Kevin vamboozled me and texted me flew to New York and then texted me when he was at the theater and at half hour and said, have a good show.
Speaker 3: And it was just a waitress.
Speaker 4: I don't think you did that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did it with Ryan Bazquez.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 3: They're all under study.
Speaker 1: He was great. But you did spring Away to Right Yeah, yeah. I did it with Lean Groff with the original cast in Skyler and then halfway through my run they left, they you know, the originals all left. But yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 4: It was Yeah, that was like a moment for everyone. That's I mean, I was I think sixteen when I saw that show and it was like life changing. This is yeah, it's yeah, life changing. Yeah, it's probably how everyone felt in ninety six when I saw Rat You're like, wait, this musical theater can.
Speaker 5: Be like this exactly, exactly know every word. You were talking about Glee for a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, yeah, if we must.
Speaker 1: If we must, you were doing West Side Story tour, and you finished your last show of the tour and then you started filming the next day on Glee.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Almost? So I had twelve shows left, I had, like yeah, and I was like almost done with my year, and and knew I wasn't going to do a second year, like I was gonna go to New York or something, and and yeah, so I was almost done. And but yes, I was like on stage like probably less than forty eight hours like before I was like suddenly on.
Speaker 1: Set and you had auditioned for Lee initially, not for the role of Sebastian.
Speaker 4: Correct. Yeah, I don't even it was like a one scene it was there was like a tap dancer. I don't even remember, like I vaguely remember the episode. It was like some group of guys that were like tap dancers.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So then they called you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like we liked you, but do this again.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't think it was like a when they saw me, they were like, we need him for something else. Yeah, I don't. I think, you know, Robert remembered me, and and when Sebastian it wasn't Sebastian, I remember. I'll never because it ended up being Sebastian Smike and the side I want to say it was like Cameron Connors. It was like not a different yeah exactly. And I was like, I'm grand Dustin. That means I'm gonna I'm gonna get this. No, but yeah, he remembered me, and I just, yeah, I think it just kind of they saw me because like I, I had auditioned once and they didn't hate me. It just didn't go my way. And it was lucky because I was west Side was in like Costa Mesa or something. So I took a train to and Yeah and went to the callback or yeah, because I think it was kind of the same thing. I made a tape I think, and they were like, yeah, we'd like to see you, So I took a train to the call.
Speaker 2: You also have to. I feel like anytime you have to travel for an audition, you're booking it. That's what the records.
Speaker 4: This is true, It's true. And then like this is water for Elephants. Is actually the second time I've ever auditioned for something in New York. The first was West Side Story and I was like in school and I flew to New York audition for West Side. You had a travel making tapes in no l a local auditions anymore.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's a good track record.
Speaker 4: Those are actually too well, No, because Flash Flash is the only thing that like, it's the only thing I've like audition for really that I've gotten.
Speaker 1: Like same but not even.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So when you got the role, yeah, and you were so we talked to you know, We've been talking to people who have come on the show, and like, by this point, the show I've been on for three years, coming into an established thing like that, you can be challenging for any number of reasons. How familiar were you with the show before coming on to it.
Speaker 4: It's funny enough, like being with a theater kid, like I feel like I because I was. It would have been my freshman and sophomore year of college that it was like airing. I remember when like kids in my class were gathering in their dorm room to watch it together and I was just like nerds. So like, I don't think I was. I when I started auditioning, I started binging it, which I like now No, and I did the same thing when I auditioned four. It was technically arrow before I did Flash, like you binged. It Like, if I ever come onto a show again and I have not seen it yet, I will keep it that way because it's like to binge a show and then suddenly be in front of those people is the worst. It's like nerve wracking. It's like you're not it's like better to have been like I've never seen it, like you know, like you know too much. Yeah, but Glee was like also like unavoidable, like I was, I had seen stuff of Glee, and Glee was huge, and like I knew the music. I'd heard, you know, all kinds of tracks, and it was impossible to not know like how popular Glee was at that point and to have at least been exposed to it to some degree. And so I knew, you know, all of you guys already without even having like seen every episode of the show. But then also by the time I was on set, I had seen every episode of the show. So yeah, it's terrifying. I mean I'd never been on a I've done little things like kind of regional local things like on camera growing up, but like I'd never been on a set before. I'll never forget my first day and like shooting a scene in the Lima Bean is that what it was called with Chris and Darren and we were sitting at a table like talking and you know, like on stage, like you get like they're your spike marks, you know for lighting cues, and like you hit them or you're not in your light like and I just remember being on like they you know, they marked you at blocking and put the tape on the ground and I'm in a chair and I'm like, I think, like I can't move them, like this is where I'm supposed to be. So I remember like thinking like I couldn't like move my head and like couldn't move my shoulders, and I just remember feeling like I can't move them, and also like what's the frame? So like I didn't know like they could move cameras like like kind of move with you. Like in my mind, I'm like, Okay, I gotta stay right here, you know. I mean I was shitting myself.
Speaker 2: I was Wow. So that was your first scene because I think, don't seem like you're shitting yourself. And it's also wild the more we beginning to season to like anybody who knows you is like you are the most like nice, normal, like just great human being. You're playing an asshole. Yeah, and it's really disturbing to see.
Speaker 4: But it's like here's everybody has, like you know, it comes to playing any character. I think you like you're like what parts you bring yourself to the character. So I still see Sebastian's like, even though he's like snarky, it's like, like I I think kind of like that. Sometimes we're like I'm an asshole in my head, but I try to to say those things out and my wife will be the first one to be like, I work, I'm so negative, like I worry, like I have way more negative thoughts than positive thoughts. So there's ways to just kind of be like, all right, well I'm just giving voice to every shitty thing I feel like saying. You know, you just say it. So I still like see myself in Sebastian.
Speaker 2: I mean there has been the more also, like that you've shown up in the season, some of the remarks I think I used to it like when you were first, I was like, God, he's mean, but now I'm like that shit's funny. Yeah, he's like I don't care that you're with someone whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I never saw him because me because it's me playing them. So it's like I need to believe, you know, everything I'm saying, Like I believe, I either really believe or I'm saying it for, you know, to get what I want. And so I never saw him as like a villain necessarily, you know, even though that's clearly kind of what he was like. But I was, you know, he's kind of wounded in some way obviously, why is he behaving the way he behaves, So of course, yeah, but I did think he was very funny. I thought it was almost like a like a Jane style of writing, the way they wrote, and Jane.
Speaker 2: Was like Genue edition. Yeah, it was. It was you Naya and Jane got to do like the snarkiest and we never normally had a guy who got to do that, and so you should have just like fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then me and I got to have a few times be where we were like fired back and forth at each other.
Speaker 1: And it was those were fun, snarky, snarky You guys did smooth Criminal, which goes down in Glee history is one of like the best, one of.
Speaker 2: The best, and aging like fine Wine.
Speaker 3: Still talking about online, fans still bringing.
Speaker 2: It up Oh yeah, we asked fans the writing questions for you, and seventy percent of them more about it.
Speaker 4: Really, I think that's funny. I mean that day was like out of all of my days of filming on Glye and like and it it really didn't feel it's funny. It's like I only had seven episodes, agree like it.
Speaker 2: While yeah, like I don't understand that because you became like a part of like so entrenched in our groups so quickly that I don't know it was only seven episodes.
Speaker 1: It's confusing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's crazy to me. And then because I also was then doing at some point I forged exactly what how like a stint on down to two and oh and that felt like the shortest period of time in my life. But I did nine of those but like and it was like they were like almost like in a row, so like I was on more now than I wasn't Glee, and like I don't think anyone knows I was on, but that like you know, as you guys know, like those the performance numbers, like the ones on the stage and stuff like those are like big days and big rehearsals before those days because you don't have time to mess around and but Smooth Criminal was like not that. We like were on location at some school and I did not know what we were going to do when we got there. We had no rehearsal. I had not spoken to anybody about what the number was supposed to be, Like I just I recorded the song obviously, but it was literally just like Zach was there and he was like they were these are the chairs and like it's just like cat and mouse and like we'll start, you know, outside, and then you just said, you guys get closer and closer and closer to each other, like move chair as you go on, clearing each other's faces. That was like literally the only instruction or choreography we were given. So we just kind of like were winging it and it was like a very shoot. It was probably like three hours to shoot that scene.
Speaker 2: What sometimes you may be four. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just like not there was like no frills. It was like yeah, and it was all about those the you know, the two cellos who were just like in the middle too, Like I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's such I could cover, like it's such a good version of it.
Speaker 4: It's fun. Yeah, I mean it's for sure like I will say second to my favorite. Both my favorite things I got to do on the show were in that episode, and I want you back as my favorite thing I got to record and it's not in the episode Devastated and I'll never forget finding out too. We were shooting like it must be because I almost never did two episodes in a row. It was usually like or sometimes I'd do tune a round and then wouldn't be back, so like much late in the season do like one. So maybe it was the next episode, or maybe it was like a few later, but I was it was this. I was shooting the scene again in the line of Bean. Maybe yeah, there wasn't the scene too, and like I'm it's like the first time you see like a human softer side to Sebastian and he's like basically apologizing for being a dick. And we were in between they were like doing a new setup and we stayed on set. They were like moving some cameras and lights really quick, and we were so we were just sitting at the table and Nya goes, I'm so sorry they cut. I went back and I was like, Okay, they hadn't aired yet. I was like, oh yeah, they had to cut it.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh man, o, my god.
Speaker 2: She was she.
Speaker 4: It's on YouTube. It's on YouTube. They released the song on I think they released that.
Speaker 2: Didn't happen most of the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I heard too, and it was like finished enough, And I remember, I don't know you guys were in you were in that scene. I remember that. I want you back, Kevin. Were you there, Jenna?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Weren't you in that scene? Kevin?
Speaker 2: Don't am I thinking of? I think because I remember, I haven't it yet.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because because there's they carried They carried you down the steps because like that that room wasn't handicapped accessible, and I remember them carrying the wheel and they did a quick shot of like showing this is how he gets down the stairs. Yeah, yeah, yeah, But it was like you and Naya and Leah and Darren and call FORER. I think we're all there. And you probably don't remember any of this because you guys had so many days. But I don't remember why. But post that was you know, an all day shoot and post lunch for the turnaround, one of the regulars was not still at work. I remember this, and somebody went home and somebody stand in was put into wardrobe to shoot the overs, and it's very obvious if you watch the footage on YouTube, so and the and the cut is like messy, you can tell it's like because they were like what do we do.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes to make it?
Speaker 2: I was completely forgotten about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so do you remember who it was?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, which made it all the more funny. When I was told in the life, I was like, really, I wonder why they keep.
Speaker 2: That, and like you know, like rumors spreading, like we're all talking to different departments and I'm like, hold on and I'm like getting up talk.
Speaker 1: To like wait, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And I'm you know, so I couldn't be greener. So like I'm like, I'm like, I don't maybe this I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I mean I think it's tough for like someone like you coming into that position. You had such a big part of that episode too, like you were integraled to the entire episode, and the wheels had truly fallen off because that season it was just, you know, more is more. We were doing a lot of numbers.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 4: I did a show for nine years. I know what it's like where It's like there's seasons or stretches of seasons where we're like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: People are people are I think like and Ryan, Like we talked to Ryan about this, but by the time we did Bad, and I feel like Bad was the perfect example of the state of the.
Speaker 1: Show a thousand.
Speaker 2: Like, well, we were in a parking garage.
Speaker 4: There was the night before Christmas break Yep, it.
Speaker 2: Was nothing was choreographed, nothing was planned. It was cold, there was no.
Speaker 1: Safe the slushy, the rocks and everything.
Speaker 4: That was the last thing we did. Yes, I was very I don't want to reveal too much on this spot, like I know this is called that's what you're really in this, But I had another moment that's like stuck with me for years from that night where I was another moment of like I was just shitting myself, Like I had already been around for a minute and I had to throw that slushy I remember remember. And it was like probably legitimately like three or four am at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was really cold. I mean we were standing on pavement in a parking garage, so like your feet are freezing, like your it's like so your whole body is cold because you're just standing on cold pavement. And and yeah, there was some added pressure to getting the slushy right in that moment that was given to me right before I threw the sion.
Speaker 2: Hod you practice it before?
Speaker 4: No? I can't.
Speaker 2: Well so because they used to have people like use they have like this dummy thing in practice throwing it at them.
Speaker 4: No, that makes sense, Yeah that would that would have been nice. No, because that was because it's true now I know, Like now the remark that was made to me, I understand differently after doing TV for so long now where it's like it was the end of the day. It was like, look, if this isn't if we don't get this, we need a full wardrobe, makeup, hair reset, and we got to do it again. And like in hindsight now looking back, I'm like fair, But like when it was said to me right before I did.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: That's it's not fair to you though, That's not fair to put that on you. Ryan also was I don't know if he just doesn't remember because he's done a billion things since, but he's like I didn't He's like, I don't have any memory of like that happening, Like that shouldn't have been that whole what do you mean thing of us shooting in the garage till five in the morning. Yeah, like the whole system like broke, Like we shouldn't have been doing any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But it's also that's like what Flash was like if I knew, because it was an action based superhero show, So like, yeah, you got I mean like Glee. I always say, like when Glee when people are like what was harder Glee or Flash, It's like, well, I wasn't really on Glee, Like I know, I had a taste of what that show was like, but like they're completely different and you can't compare the two.
Speaker 2: And in so many ways, Flash like you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's different because it's like I'm in the suit, which is like a whole other thing. And every Thursday and Friday night basically like there was always an action sequence in Flash that generally took place at night, which meant and it was usually it was usually like the last ten pages of a script, which meant like Thursday and Friday night, back to back nights, you were shooting like all of our night shoots from like five pm to five am, like literally every week, so that I got really used to that and I actually like wasn't bothered by it at all, But it's til we were finishing. But then, like Glee was like the schedule you guys were on in the machine of it all were like shoot, recording the music, rehearsing numbers, You're shooting it the next day and it never stops. And you went on tour and then you came back and you did it again with like a two week break. Like those first few seasons. I don't know how you guys even like survived.
Speaker 3: Had we were young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like obviously not sustainable. It's like crazy how hard that show probably was for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Flash also seems like that was extremely which is difficult. Like I remember I was in Vancouver a couple of times, like working on something else, and you were like, I don't even know what day it is, Like I don't know what.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't see anybody for like nine years, Like I don't know. People would tell me I was they were in town. I was like I can't, Yeah, I don't, I didn't do Yeah. I just like I love work too, though, and I and I get I can get obsessive, like probably to a fault, and like knew that I and I am super serious about like being very very off book, you know, and not having to call for a line and not. You know, I think that's like the theater where it's like you're you're just preparation is important and you shot prepared and I'm not like memorizing lines in a makeup trailer typically, So I was just like, look, I shoot all day and then I'm coming home and I'm memorizing and I'm doing it again, and then you know, especially and then later on when I was in a group, it was like, well, now I've I've got a kid at home and the time is you have literally no free time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also I mean you were like, I don't know, you were the lead of that shows you're setting the tone. It's irresponsibility. It's like a whole different things. So I think that's makes sense that you don't take it that seriously. Then you know the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then sometimes like I think I would could go too far with it where it's like I would just put way too much stress on myself, which could then result in me just being like way to run down and like, you know, I've talked about a lot over the years, so like it, I didn't know what I was getting into when I started it, and I had and I was twenty three and I'm thirty. I was thirty three when it finished, and I had a lot of growing up to do over the you know, like I made a lot of just mistakes, just like being too stressed and letting it get to me and like having to figure out how to deal with my own stress so didn't affect other people, and just like had a lot of grown up to do through over the course.
Speaker 2: It's just so much hostibility. You have nothing to compare it to. You're like, okay, here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's just and then you realize quickly too, like comic book fans are like, you know, they care harry about what the yeah, and it's hard not to get caught up in it all, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of pressure, a lot of things to live up to.
Speaker 2: And it was my favorite thing and that show started.
Speaker 1: I love that, we loved.
Speaker 2: We would order these gluten free Domino's pieces. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Watch the Flash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would sit down the TV and like I'm gonna watch Grant now for the next hour.
Speaker 3: I'd watch it on take it to work. It's so great. It was really great, so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a support yours. You became family so quickly, Like I remember, like when you came on the show, we were just like this is our straight boyfriend, Grant.
Speaker 4: I mean I had literally not literally moved to LA for the show, as we said, like I had been I landed in l A and like twelve hours later it was on set, so like I didn't know anybody in LA.
Speaker 1: So wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like you guys were like a lifeline for me. I mean every time I got invited to go to like somewhere with you guys, like someone's house for a party or like you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Like someone last night asked me if i'd ever met Taylor Swift and I was like, yeah, I have.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that until recently until she's been like everywhere right now because you know her concert but than just the Travis Kelsey stuff. And I was at a party one time.
Speaker 3: It was our birthday. It was a shared birthday party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was that was like Diana was right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was mine and Diana's birthdays and obviously were joint, but you know, she always loved to throw a good party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that was really I did not meet her though you didn't You didn't meet her, No, I just never.
Speaker 4: Being like and I honestly like I didn't at the time. I mean, she was already like huge at the time, but like, yeah, I don't remember being like I remember seeing her, Like I wasn't like I didn't like, it wasn't a moment for me to be like I need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah she's around.
Speaker 2: Yeah she was there. I felt a similar way where I was like, yeah, Grant and I went together. I'm like, okay, I don't know a lot of these people will just stick together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well she also met like like Swifty was also there, but she had also been around some of the other cast and we had seen her Choice Awards and yeah things like that too show.
Speaker 3: She was still doing that circuit.
Speaker 2: But I completely I completely forgot about it. And last night I was like, yeah, but like.
Speaker 4: That's the type of thing that like could happen with you guys, because like it was, you know, such a moment the show and like and I what I was going to say was like I just remember thinking every time I was invited somewhere, like my first instinct was like my gol, Like I was so scared, but I was also like I want I want friends. Yeah, I want these people to like me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I still feel like that though, Yeah, every time I'm invited anything. Yeah, I mean, you guys are really were the best. Yeah, I know, you guys really made me feel welcomed.
Speaker 2: I think we looked out in that way, and like every time you bring we brought new people on, like knowing how difficult that could be, but having sort of a trial run with Darren and Cord and like how it works so well, and like we loved them. We're like okay, like we can trust that they're selecting good people. Robert I think has a great instinct for that and finding people who like work with all of us in a really great way, because there were times also it's like every time you get somebody on the show who is great and you become genuine friends with, then it does set a precedent for when people do come on later on and they're not necessarily the same thing, and you're like, well that's a bummer. It didn't happen often, it really did. It only happened like maybe two or three times. Yeah, but seven times it wasn't a big deal. But we were just like, oh God, okay, great, he's like talented and this is wonderful. So like we felt lucky. It also helped us, I think, maintain our heads a bit when you got some like new people around and we're fine.
Speaker 1: Cool, stuck in our own little bubble.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We spent a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Much nice to see like you know, unfamous poor folk come onto the show.
Speaker 2: You have like you know, Gwyneth coming on the ship. I don't have to.
Speaker 4: Speak this kidding, no, I mean something, you know. I mean Flash was very.
Speaker 2: Differently like incredible people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. I mean Glee was just like such I mean like Glee was like a moment in TV history, you know, and well the Greater Error Verse was like what Greg Burlanty did with that was like had never been done and it will be I think looking back, like a moment in TV history was like, wow, they're really did all those superheroes crossing over? You know? But yeah, we had like Mark Hamill, you know, came on with Skywalker and like all like all kinds of crazy people that you're like I want to be friends with you, but like I know I'm going to be weird with you, so like I know we're not going to be friends because like I am too starstruck by you.
Speaker 2: Like I remember that Mark, like watching that and being like, wow, was he how was he doing right now? Like crazy? That's really great?
Speaker 4: And he was. He was. It was like not what I expected to where he's first of all, like very warm and nice and not that I'd expected him to not be that, but the part that was like he was like a very serious actor and like didn't talk a lot in between because he was like he was kind of playing like he was playing the tricks there, which is like kind of like Joker, and he was just like this like fucked up like you know, kind of serial killer villain type guy, and so like he stayed in this weird like in between scenes he sat in this like crossed like a position that I don't even know how he did it, and was just like he was like the first time I worked yeah, like in a really cool way. He was like creepy the first time I worked with him.
Speaker 1: Cool, Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: He knew also like Jesse Jesse al Martin that was on the show was like, Jesse is not a mad person. It was like, yeah, an icon and like told, you know, gush to Mark about Star Wars and all kinds of stuff and and I can't remember if he brought if Jesse brought this lightsaber or if Mark got it, but like he's signed it for Jesse, like made a force be with you, your friend Mark, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so so you guys did a musical episode of The Flash forgive me. I don't think I saw that, But what was that like? And was that anything like Glee because obviously you've done both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it did end up being sim alert because I don't know if you guys know this. Well, first of all, Melissa's in the episode and we had never worked together on Glee, I don't think, but we were able to like, you know, share Glee stories while on set. And then Darren comes up and is in the episode. That's so funny, So that was bizarre. And then even crazier, Zach Woodley came up for us.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 4: It was clear like our producers like showrunners, because that was a crossover that was like a Supergirl flash crossover episode, and they did not know what they were getting them. So it was not like Glee in the sense that like there was no machine aspect to it where it was like where we can pump this out. It was like a very challenging episode.
Speaker 2: That took us a long time to get into a rhythm. Course, it took like maybe a whole season to figure it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, of course, so it was and we were conceptually it was like a dream episode I think for us, and it was just like a weird like episode obviously for us to get to a point where we're doing with the musical episode. I think actually I noticed like a little bit ago, like right there or my like tap shoes from that episode. I've got, I'm gonna grab them. I've got, I've got they made. They're like dress shoes that we just play taps on and then right next to these or like this was like the coolest moment of my early career. They made you for west Side Story, like this is what we would dance and for West Side Story, and like when you got your first like I put right and left on my shoes as a character decision because I thought it was funny. But yeah, these were my little Disio tap somewhere tress shoes the episode. Yeah, so this is the last time I wore tattooes actually, and it was the first time I'd woren tap stooes and like, I don't know a minute eight years when I put them on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there tapping in waterf relevance?
Speaker 4: No, not that I know of. I don't even know if I have like if I move at all or I don't know. We start rehearsal January second, so.
Speaker 2: Wow, whoa, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, physically I have no idea. I have the scripts and I have music, but other than that, like no idea what staging.
Speaker 1: I mean, based on a lot of the images and stuff, there's a lot of you know, circus trickery and but for you yes, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: There's real circus performers in the show that are incredible but cool. I don't know, yeah, what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Wow, very exciting.
Speaker 2: Should we ask some of these fanquies and.
Speaker 1: Let's do it before we let you go? No?
Speaker 6: No, no, oh my god, Well this is one so like these were screened, yes, screened, and some of them we've actually answered throughout this episode, So okay, quick, Alexa wants to ask on behalf of the Dodgers fans everywhere, do you think k K has ever seen Glee?
Speaker 4: I can ask him. I don't. I can.
Speaker 1: Probably. Yeah, you're freaking out right now.
Speaker 4: So that's who I'm like. Athletes are generally who I'm also, I'm athletes were actors. Yeah, he's very cool and normal though. Yeah, yeah, let's keep asking. I'm legitimately gonna right now. Well, we'll see if we can find out this podcast is over that just any episode of Glee. That's what I'm asking him.
Speaker 2: And why is already his favorite character?
Speaker 1: Stop?
Speaker 2: Don't you dare?
Speaker 1: Alex wanted to know what you felt, how you felt about them cutting I want you back, but we already.
Speaker 3: Devastated, devastated.
Speaker 2: Why did Sebastian have sexual at tension with almost every character on the show.
Speaker 4: I think it was like in my way of trying to manipulate my way onto a more consistent appearances on the show, Like this thing with you know, Blaine doesn't work out, like they're gonna, they will put me with somebody, he said, can't say I have? He said, I have with the emoji of the monkey.
Speaker 3: Kevin, it's never too late to start. Well, thank you for answering.
Speaker 2: I believe, Thank you, Kevinick. He is really quick.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's import what really great?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I like it and I send each other. She would go to Red Sox games and would send me pictures of KK and then when he came back to the Dodgers, then I would go to the Dodgers and send and like post them on Twitter, like.
Speaker 4: Of just taking pictures of k Oh my gosh, she's an attractive man.
Speaker 2: A second part to that question or answer is that we were also all obsessed with Grant, so we maybe it were happy that. Yeah, yeah, it could have been us, Yes, flirt with us and every scene yeah, yeahous.
Speaker 4: Because looking back to like, I think I think I've seen fans speculate all this too. I think Sebastian was probably by you know, so I was like, I was definitely like down, smooth criminal. I mean, we had a lot of sexual attention. He's definitely attracted to her. He's definitely attracted to like even like Kurt I liked to try to like flirt with when he was mad at me. I was like, how do I make this fight like kind of flirty, like, oh.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Apparently, well, Emily mcclu said, was Sebastian really supposed to be Blaine's love interest in season six? Do you know anything about this?
Speaker 4: No? I have. I don't even know. Was I even in season six?
Speaker 3: No, but the phantom was saying it. But I think you were doing Flash already.
Speaker 1: But apparently the phantom had said that there was talk about Sebastian coming back to be Blaine's love interest, but that your schedule didn't work out. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was used to me. What year was that? Do you remember what year you were shooting?
Speaker 3: Twenty fifteen fourteen.
Speaker 4: So I was already I was already doing Flush, So let's just say, yeah, that's what thing I planned. But no one had told me if that was the case.
Speaker 2: So I know this was eighty years ago. But do you have a favorite Sebastian line you can remember?
Speaker 1: Remember Tina line? So let's be fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember any of my lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, there was like a scene the only time I think I'm in a scene with all of you guys at the line of Bean and it was like a tracking shot where we were basically like y'all were all sitting like in a U and I was over here and a camera was like in a full three sixty track kind of going around looking at everybody and coming to me, and I know I said something. It was like talking about like me and Blaine had been on the phone the night before or something, and Kurt was getting sassy about it, and I was talking about something of steaming. There's something about a blazer. And I don't remember. I couldn't tell you for the life of me what I said on that, but I remember there was like a couple good one liners in that scene.
Speaker 1: We'll have to wait for it. I remember that, I remember.
Speaker 4: And I remember Naya coming at me in that scene too. I think I had a good one at Naya.
Speaker 2: In that scene too.
Speaker 4: That probably like actually borderline like offensive.
Speaker 3: Like no, probably not even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both of you were spewing horrible things.
Speaker 1: Yeaheah like not yeah, has not aged.
Speaker 4: Well, there's stuff that it's like the Office, like the best show ever, but it's like couldn't be done today, like maybe not, Like.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, there's other ways to write jokes. Yeah, some of the things don't work yeah anymore. Yeah, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean because I mean, you guys would have like, you know, the the comedy did feel like personal at times. Well I remember him then, like Kurt referred to me as like horse teeth and like things that are like physical aspects of yourself that you're like, that's real. Yeah, and we're really making fun of my action. Like the writers looked at dailies and we're like, what can we make fun of about this actor? Like oh wow, so then you just have a complex for years about the size.
Speaker 2: Of your teeth.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize I said like a muppet until Jane said it to me in a scene. I was like, yeah, they called.
Speaker 4: It like I think at one point he referred to my cub you hair too, and like a year later, a month yeah, pre flash.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's buddy, that's easy. Oh my god. Yeah, well we won't keep you. No, this was yeah, I was the only Yeah, answered a bunch of them.
Speaker 2: Was there a Kurt duet that you recorded that never made it on?
Speaker 3: They said, what happened to the Kurt Bastian duets?
Speaker 4: No, yeah, we didn't know, not that I remember.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's one, here's one you mentioned having created a backstory for Sebastian, What was it I know you touched.
Speaker 2: On that I did.
Speaker 1: Like in this interview like no before.
Speaker 3: This is from a fan, Oh, another interview.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I did to some degree, like talk about I also think that some of the interview like I'll like see a quote on like IMDb or something of like you know the section on IMDb that's like quotes, yeah, you know, and like something I said in an interview like for like Glee when I was like twenty twenty one, and like it was just like what so nervous and like what do I say? Like just like making ship up and like talking like saying things that I'm so embarrassed of now when I look back at the like you know, faux pas or just think that I said, I'm like I didn't even think that. Why did I say that? Or you know, but no, I'm sure as an actor, I had some kind of back story thing that I you know, I don't remember now though that's fair.
Speaker 1: I don't know that's fair.
Speaker 4: I think he wasn't he like, isn't there like a reference in like my first or second episode that I've got like lacrosse practice to go to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that you lived in like Paris or something, and you drank glassier with your.
Speaker 4: Mother mother's milk.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like Sebastian's a wild, wild person.
Speaker 4: I did believe that a lot of the stuff he said was like bullshit about himself. Like I I feel like he probably lived at home in a small apartment with like just his mom and was able to go to Dalton because of like a different her dad like paid him to go. Like I don't even think he had like money or a nice family life, you know.
Speaker 2: That's like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I don't think he was like this spoiled yeah right, I mean maybe, I mean you can sometimes just be like, you know, spoiled and like so entitled. But I think he was more trying to be who he thought he was supposed to be, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: M h m hmm.
Speaker 2: I mean that is sort of it with the fan questions, because literally everything was about smooth criminal. Literally everything else is about Yeah.
Speaker 4: It really was like the kind of like the least interesting filming day I had, and like also like the most exciting, but then when it was over, it was like I don't know what we just got, you know, Like I don't know it was cool because I was very like intimidated by Nyer and like thought she was like really cool and really talented, and couldn't believe I got to do that duet with her, And so it was almost like more than a lot of other days, like an out of body experience a little bit, because there was no rehearsal. So when it was over, I was like, I literally don't know what just happened or what that's going to look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes that's the brilliance of it.
Speaker 2: And we were intimidated being in a scene with her because even though we had known her and we're so close to that, because she's so good, like effortlessly so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, she had like an energy, like intense.
Speaker 2: Energy, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be scared of her. You could be you know, we could be a lot of things for her.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like scared, but also didn't want to not be around her.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, no, like yeah, infatuated, Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the word. Let me use eighteen words to describe that.
Speaker 1: That word. Thanks for that, Thank you, that.
Speaker 2: Idiot.
Speaker 1: It's really good to see you and chat with you. Yeah, thanks for coming.
Speaker 4: On, guys.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy I've run into you a couple of times this year.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous.
Speaker 2: Yeah you should be. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The last one was really I thought I was going to see you again and then I didn't see you again. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like stormed him on a red carpet the other day because I have no tact at all. He was like in the middle, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like hi, and we were done, but we were just standing there and then yeah, and there you were, and I hate My brother in law had just been telling me about this, you know, running with you.
Speaker 2: But here I am you like.
Speaker 4: Like you had no idea. You had spend like a full day and a half.
Speaker 2: Around, yes, a full weekend, realize hotel opening and pomp strings. Actually I'm using the water bottle they gave me. And then he comes out on like the last day and I'm like sitting by the pool. He's like hey. I'm like hey, and I recognized him because I'd seen him like walking around and he was like the head chef of this place.
Speaker 4: Here goes, here we go. And then.
Speaker 2: He'said, you know my brother in law. I'm like, I'm like, who's like Grant Gustin's her brother was like, oh my god. I was like lucky you, and then I was like, you have a great brother in law. I'm like, well, I don't know the relationship. What am I doing? What if they hate each other?
Speaker 4: He's actually he's going to drive across country with me to New York.
Speaker 2: But you guys definitely don't have a good relationship then yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean he's like a brother now, so like and yeah, just because dogs and baby stuff were there for so long, we're gonna drive, so he's doing that.
Speaker 2: It's so sweet. He was very nice and he's a great chef, and he is a great chef. I couldn't believe it. I was like, this is hilarious. It was also like such a weird weekend for a number of reasons. Then he came like, of course this is happening now, of course you related to Grant. Yeah, this feels right. Well, it's so good to see you. Thank you for spending so much time with us, And honestly, I'm just so happy and proud of you and absolutely going to come to you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's going to be awesome.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well there you have it. The Flash himself so crazy. He came on the show and then went off to do all the amazing things that he's done ten nine years of another TV show being the name of the show. It's so crazy, what a huge responsibility.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Speaker 1: Love the Flash.
Speaker 2: I ran into Greg brilanty years ago in the middle of the Flash and I was just like, you know, big fan, well obviously a big fan of Greg Borlante. I was like, you did the right thing choosing Grant.
Speaker 1: He's like, thank you, Kevin, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: I know you needed to hear that from me, mister Berlante. But with your eighty shows on television.
Speaker 1: Well thanks Grant for coming on and taking all the time. You're a busy, busy man, and you're very We're very excited for your next adventure.
Speaker 3: We hope you guys enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Grant, And if you're in New York next year, go see him and Water for Elephants, because I mean, that's gonna be so good.
Speaker 1: Can't wait. It looks so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars, see you next time.