Speaker 1: Edge Martinez in Real Life podcast. I mean it's a leader kid.
Speaker 2: What is this space?
Speaker 1: Welcome to my space today, Welcome to the podcast. Thank you, thank you my Little I r L Podcast. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love talking to you. I love your energy everything, your energy, that's the that's something that's so special. So yes, I do love it and congratulate.
Speaker 1: Thank you, baby, congratulations to you. First of all, we're gonna start with you. I am excited about my podcast. But first and foremost, last night, m I wish there was somebody in the room who could just testify to what I saw last night, Which is your new Well? What are you the executive producer play? What is it?
Speaker 2: What is the First of all, it's a musical.
Speaker 1: That's a musical.
Speaker 2: I would be the lead producer for the musical that also be the composer, and I'd also be the conceptualizer of this and subject correct it is it is? It is loosely based on my experiences growing up in New York.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is so good. I can't I want to talk about it more and more like specific, but it took me immediately to little Baby, Young Alicia. A diary is on twenty years on twenty year anniversary. My son is twenty. This is nuts. So it's like, Diary is in college right now, Diary is going to college. Oh it's been in college thirty year in college. Diary is graduating college next year. Whoa I know? Are you like a whole different person from them?
Speaker 2: Definitely, I'm a new person, of course. Of course I've grown so much. I know so much. I was for sure a baby. I was so I was definitely entering my beginnings of my womanhood. But I was still so insecure, so vulnerable were you?
Speaker 1: You never gave that.
Speaker 2: You always showed up like that was my trick. Yeah that was wasn't it yours?
Speaker 1: It still is what I mean, I still show up when I mean, I am more centered and I do have more sense of purpose. So that gives you confidence, and that gives you you know, and so I can block out noise better. But I still have moments of like, you know, totally thousand, you got to still show We know how to show up, but we need to show up. We still have moments. Yes, you all the way got it together.
Speaker 2: No, nobody all the way has it together. And every day is different, you know what I mean? But I definitely have it together more than I had it together. Yes, so thank god, please we need to grow somehow.
Speaker 1: What do you think the biggest difference is, though?
Speaker 2: What do you think the biggest difference is that at that time, I really felt like I had to be validated by people. I felt like I had to be accepted, you know, people had to agree with me or I had to people had to accept what I thought for it to be good. And now I don't, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Look for opinions from everybody.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, I was the union seekert.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Do you like it? Do you like it? Do you like it? Do you like it? Do you like it? Do you like it? And if they didn't, if enough people liked it, I liked it. If enough people didn't like it, I also didn't like it, you know. And it's like at some point you got to like, think what you think and feel how you feel, and you got to stand behind it and stand for it. And you know, so that's well, that's what I think is the biggest difference for me now.
Speaker 1: Was there's ever some amazing song that everybody didn't like and you knew it was great and you never put it out and left us in the it's still sitting in a vault somewhere.
Speaker 2: I would no, I don't know. I mean maybe, but people did feel that way about falling, believe it or not. What do you mean people didn't understand falling at first? These people which people I'm just saying, where I'm telling.
Speaker 1: These people, these people, where are they? Can we call them now? Put them on the screen and see, didn't you like label people are like friends or what?
Speaker 2: I think that. I think probably I would if I would bring it back to it, I would definitely say it was more on the label side or on the business side. You know, it was a it was a risk if you think, if you think about it, falling was actually a risk. It didn't fit into the style of music that was happening at the time, and it was it was different. I mean most of my music is always different. With Diary Realisia Keys, it was you don't know my name. That was a risk. You don't know my name wasn't like the sound at the time.
Speaker 1: It was was the sound at the time. I don't remember the like a I don't know, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know what was that. But the point is is you know, I think that a lot of times, you know, people like to do and encourage you to do what's already been done. M It's like rare that people will tell you, hey, take a take a chance, try something new, try something different. It's very rare that people get behind that mentality. But but I'm glad that I was never you know, I always went with what felt good in my heart, and that's always been my guiding.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, thank god. Some opinions are everywhere.
Speaker 2: Wow, especially now I'm more than ever. I don't even know how kids function today.
Speaker 1: I wondered that for you, cause you still are very active and you very like even in socials and stuff, you engage. You share, right, share a lot. Yes, your family is Swiss. Swiss is always sharing something.
Speaker 2: The sharer of all sharers.
Speaker 1: I feel like he probably pushes you to share more than you would have had you, guys not been a couple.
Speaker 2: I think he's he's actually really good at it, you know. I think that the way that he does it and the way that he shares is so genuine, and he shares like what feels right, and it really does feel right, and it feels unique and it feels like special. Yeah, so he's really good at it. Yeah. I hit him a lot, like, d what do you think about this? He'd like, nah, not that. I was like, Okay, he was there last night at the Hell's Kitchen.
Speaker 1: He was so proud of you, and Genesis was there. He loves the git, just the musical.
Speaker 2: This was the first time Genesis saw the show, and you know, he's so upset that I have to go, and you know it's in New York and to make to travel and to always be there to make sure it's perfect. And so one day he was like, you don't even want to spend time with your kids. All you want to do is go to your stupid play. And I was like, hey, that's not nice, man. I don't call any of your things stupid. And so he was like, well, that's all you want to do, And I said, I know that you just miss me. I know that's what that means. You want me to stay and I want to stay too, you know what I mean. But I'm really proud of what I'm working on and you'll see, you'll see how much you're gonna like it. So when he came yesterday, it was the first time that he saw it after feeling, you know that the normal feelings that a kid feels when you have to let your parents go. You know, it's hard. And when he was there and just rivet in and just looking at every question, mam, when's the mother coming back? Ma, when's the He had thousands of questions. Swiss was like, if he don't be quiet, came to him to be quiet because he's loud.
Speaker 1: He's so in to you though, like I saw a little video of him protecting you at the concert, your security. And then there was another one. Well, he didn't want you to show too much boob, and that's pretty good that Your favorite was, I do this? Mom?
Speaker 2: What's what's wrong? The heart? It's cool? So everybody can see your boots? Can't your heart? I've never seen somebody do that. Well, you're only eight. The worst is gonna be a tiss.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about we do this? How well we do this?
Speaker 2: You do the time? It's boos everyone has.
Speaker 1: Pretty so much because I'm pasty and You're like, it's just a boob.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's okay. He's like, ma, are we.
Speaker 1: Really gonna do this?
Speaker 2: Mom? Are we doing this?
Speaker 1: What is that? Who is that? That's what who is history.
Speaker 2: He's not protecting. Dad always says you protect the mom, right. He takes it serious clearly.
Speaker 1: So cute.
Speaker 2: It's such a cute kid.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're like a great mom. So how is that like we should talk about the parenting? Part of that is that I know we've talked since you've been a mom, but now you're like a seasoned mom.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, you have two ever a you know, I think are you ever a seasoned mom? You definitely have more experience, for sure, But I feel like it's constantly a conundrum, don't you. It's like constantly something that you're bumping up against, something you haven't quite been with before. And even if I've been through it with Egypt, I haven't like Genesis way of expressing. It's so different. And even all the kids, like I've always felt blessed because together we have five kids, and so I have like older kids that I've experienced what it's gonna be like, Okay, this is how sixteen's gonna be or this is what thirteen is gonna be like Now Egypt's thirteen, and it's a little different. So I don't know if you're ever a seasoned, but I do feel a lot more. I just feel a lot more like aware of how I want to talk with them and express with them and things like that.
Speaker 1: No, and then also, they're not the same person who they are two years from now. So you think you got them down, you know how to manage them, and then they become somebody else in a couple of years and you have to kind of.
Speaker 2: Read learn and then so are you like I'm also another person.
Speaker 1: Because mothers are actually pain so human. We are also people evolving. This is absolutely true.
Speaker 2: So to kind of put that all together is it's amazing. And I mean sometimes there's so much going on and I need bed at a certain time and I need to make sure the homework is at this time, and then we're there. They're sitting there doing something and they're cracking up laughing, and I'm like, I need you, And I look back on it and I'm like, why didn't I just laugh too? Could I just have laughed too? And then we'd have just got on with it like I made it. They almost took take longer to just so it's like, y, yeah, I think you kind of look at yourself too, and you realize how you can kind of let certain things go or whatever you need to do.
Speaker 1: Do you let your kids see you vulnerable? Like I had this who was it?
Speaker 2: Uh? Oh?
Speaker 1: We had Kelly uh Clarkson on the show and she went through a divorce and she was talking about, you know, she went through a really hard time and she let her kids, she let sh not too much, but just enough so that she would explain, mommy sad. And yeah, she operates on the some some parents don't. Some parents believe in like shielding shielding. Yeah, and there's like a fine line, I guess, but are you, like, how are you with these seems like you would be leaning towards vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's really important to be able to learn how to have relationships with your emotions, you know. And I think especially as boys, we a lot of times we make boys have to be so like teflon and and we think that that's what how a man expresses or how a boy expresses. And I do think that for all of us, cause I think as women as well, we also feel like we have to be tough. Alon, we gotta put on the armor and no, let's not get penetrated. And I think that that develops a unhealthy relationship with our emotions. We can't access them. And I personally went through that. I experience that way. I just could not access my emotions. I did not know how to share what I actually felt truly. I knew how to share the like version of it, that was the words, you know, but I couldn't properly truly express it in a way that felt as raw as I felt it on the inside. And I thought that that I had to learn how to practice to put to words my real feelings as opposed to holding the men. And so I really feel like getting having a relationship with your emotions is important. Yeah, I'm not overly emotional, so you know, I think that's just natural balance that I have. Yeah, but the other day I did I boohooed in the Carbon Genesis. He looked at me like you had to see his face. He was like, I'm sorry that I didn't do another and I should have been more. And I really apologized for and he instantly. And I was not doing that for him to feel bad or to have to apologize to me, But it just was how I felt, and it just was like I was overwhelmed at the moment he was like, I never saw you cry like that before, man, And next ten days after my remer, when you just started crying, like I never saw you cry like that before. It and it and it touched him, and I think that, you know, that's a part of that's a part of just irl my real life and it happens.
Speaker 1: What could trigger something like that, is that a bad day? Is that some is that I.
Speaker 2: Was personally overwhelmed. Actually for him, I felt like there was a lot of things going on that I was just needing to come to terms with, like with school and some different things, and I just felt like I was uncomfortable with where it was circling and I felt out of control. I felt like I was not able to have a handle on it to the way that I wanted to. And to see him feel uncomfortable about certain things made me uncomfortable. And when I couldn't kind of get it under control, it just like I was like, I don't have control of this. Yeah, And it just kind of like felt, you know, overwhelming in that way, and I just I don't know, it just came out, oh you know what I mean, It just came out.
Speaker 1: And he just adores you too. So he was probably like, what it's happening.
Speaker 2: He was like, whoa hoo, whoa whoa, whoa whoa whoa. But and then man, it's crazy how the emotions that we feel for them. Wow, like you never know, it's super wild.
Speaker 1: I was just talking about that, and I was telling you this before. You're not ready for when they have to go.
Speaker 2: Mmm, I'm not ready.
Speaker 1: Have you prepared at all?
Speaker 2: I'm not ready. It's okay, Sorry, I'm not ready. Tell me how it goes.
Speaker 1: I'm to tell you how it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does it go?
Speaker 1: I was fully depressed for six months before he left for college because I was preparing mentally, preparing myself to be like I just was so sad, you know, it was just him and I for a while. Then I my bonus baby came in and we have I have two there, but the idea of like my first born, my baby, like leaving was traumatic for me. So for six months I was super depressed before he left. And then I was telling my girlfriend. I think it was you know, Shaka pill Girl. I was telling Shaka I was like, oh god, he's I got to take him to school. I'm going to be a mess. I'm gonna cry when I drop him off. She was like, no, you're not. I was like, what do you mean, No, I'm not, Yes, i am. I'm very emotional about this. She was like, imagine how for him, like going into a new space, new school, all this about how challenging that is for him. Why do you want to make that more dramatic? And I was like, oh, you're right. He was not a good friend. And so then I just kind of held myself together. I went there, we set him up, we set the room, and I left and I realized though, so after that, I realized, they don't leave you. They're still there.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he's still.
Speaker 2: Asking you for a thousand things all the time.
Speaker 1: It's cool, it's fine, No, they don't. There's still your children. But so maybe you won't be sad for six months, maybe yours will be three months now, two months, knowing that it'll be okay. On the other side, I.
Speaker 2: Do know it'll be okay. But it's a big change. Man. It's like you literally hold them. They can't do anything without you. You have to. You plan your entire existence, every move you make around them being good. And then they don't need you, and it's kind of kind of crazy, it's kind of fucked, it's kind of crazy. But they do need you know.
Speaker 1: They always do know, they always do it, and I.
Speaker 2: Think whatever, they need to call you and make sure you know and just like, yeah, the mama, there's only one mama.
Speaker 1: People don't talking up about too, Like the partner you choose and how you parent together. Did you have any challenges with that or are you just kind of in line with that or how do you guys manage that?
Speaker 2: I feel like we do really well. We're really we're really in a beautiful sink just naturally, like our flow has a good sink. And I think that on the parenting side, he's really good at you know, he definitely knows when it's time to step in because he's like, mm, you know what, they need some dad energy. Sometimes you need dad energy. Yes, But he's really good at, like at being we are really good at being kind of a a good flow, like what's gonna work best for this particular inner, this child, cause each one's so different, so you can't just like do the same thing all the time for sure. So I think we're good at kind of that flow. And I think he's he knows that I have great instincts there too, and so he's like, well, what do you what do you think? And if I say listen, I re I know your your normal instinct would be this, the less approach like this, yeah, and he'll be open for it.
Speaker 1: Do you ever bump pets? Do you ever disagree I'm parenting? And how do you manage that?
Speaker 2: Everybody does?
Speaker 1: So you can't tell me you don't we we?
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of, like, how ah ah a time? Yeah, I think we definitely. I think it's more about communicating about our own needs, cause I think sometimes you spend so much time making sure the kids needs are met that you do have to make sure that the relationship between the kids and the parents don't eliminate the parents' needs, you know what I mean? And so I think in those ways are the ways that we're communicative. And it's like, I'm noticing this pattern and it's starting to feel uncomfortable. Mm, what should we what should we do?
Speaker 1: How did you learn to do that? You grew up in it w with just your mom? Yeah, so who taught you that?
Speaker 2: Right? What did your therapy? I honestly haven't really. Uh I did like a life coach thing that was helpful, helpful.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the biggest yes, whatever, It's.
Speaker 2: Like I might be a life I feel like I could be a life function in some way. But but yeah, no, I think that I think that. Uh, I don't know. I think maybe just just recognizing how when you can express Again, I think it comes back to me not having a great connection with my own emotions. And so when I started to realize how toxic that could be.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Like what is it?
Speaker 2: So what I was saying was thank you. Remember I was talking before, and I was saying like I was such a pleaser that I was disconnected to how I actually felt. And so I would be so like, well, what do they like? What do they think? Is this good for you know, whatever choice I'm making in my career. Oh they approve of that.
Speaker 1: Oh they like.
Speaker 2: The thing I did, the thing I wore, the thing I said, or whatever. And I would be so outwardly that I noticed that that became toxic because I didn't have a relationship with myself to be able to say, no, here's what I feel, here's what I actually feel. Just this is what I feel. I don't know. You might hate what I feel, but I feel this and to actually be able to verbalize and say that wasn't so easy for me. So I started to practice that more. And because of that practice, that's what starts to make I think Swiss and I even more able to communicate better because I was able to say, no, this is how I feel, and I know it's important. If I don't tell you how I feel, and if you don't tell me how you feel, that's when it doesn't It just goes wrong. So that part, I think God has to be able to communicate.
Speaker 1: That's dope because a lot of people do that. I think that's a pretty common thing to do, is like bury how you feel and have confidence in it and also feeling like you trust somebody to give them all of that. But what is the practice of that? How do you snap out of that?
Speaker 2: For me? I think the practice because this is what I think. For me, that's what happened. I don't know it happens. I don't know how it goes for you, but like I might find myself in a conversation. Yeah, and everyone's different. Some people react right away, some people need to digest things. You know, everybody's different, right, Yeah, I find myself whatever the case, I find myself in a conversation, someone says something to me and my stomach goes.
Speaker 1: M oh, I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and something I'm like, ooh, whatever the way they said that like that? That didn't feel right for me? What did that mean? But why would they have said it like that? Why did it feel like they referenced back something old that we already said, but it came back whatever it might be now in that moment, maybe I don't bring it up. Maybe I'm just like listening or I felt it, but I didn't wanna make it a big deal. We're at a thing whatever. But if I have felt that that that zing, then I make it a point to come back to that m and I will say, hey can I can I talk with you? You know, we were talking the other day and you you said and it just felt like you were like coming at me and it didn't feel right, And I just wanted to ask you, like, what did you mean? Because maybe I read it wrong. I don't wanna take it out of context. How what did what made you say that? And then they can have a place to speak to me about it, and I give a place to But I found in the past I would just hold it, feel it, and then you know, create potential resentment or whatever. Yeah, over something that I don't even know if that's exactly what they meant.
Speaker 1: That's so good, I think sometimes I I think I do that sometimes. But I think sometimes what happens is I, like you say, I hold I might not do it right there, but then I'm over it, and so then I don't say anything, which is not always good either. Sometimes I just kind of blow past things. And I think you're right. I think you have to get to it.
Speaker 2: And obviously it depends on who is that, like joh okay whatever, who cares exactly have to pay attention to that we can move on. But if it's somebody who like really plays an important part in your life, yeah, you know, I think it's that. So that's the type of practice I started to do. That started to get me more comfortable with being able to share.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. That's that's a good practice, right, Yeah, And it's healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I free the same thing because I kind of I can let things roll off my back. I'm not very like I don't hold on this stuff and hard and stuff. So I think, but then time's coming. You realize stuff is coming up for you and you're like, ooh, I'm mad. But I didn't think I was like mad. I thought it was fine, but it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I'm mad because I left that thing irritated. I'm pestering.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: What's super inspiring to me as we're talking about this and I'm thinking about the musical last night, I had heard that it took you like ten years, well Swiss, but that to me last night Sos was like, she's been working on this for like fifteen years? Is that true?
Speaker 2: It's exaggerated somewhere between ten and thirteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's good. That's a long time.
Speaker 2: It's a long time.
Speaker 1: That was inspiring to me because sometimes I start a project or I have an idea and it'll sit or it'll I don't know, I just can't get it across the finish line. And then I always wondered did I miss did I miss the moment on it, or did I miss the you know, because I heard one time too Oprah so id always finished what you start. But then also sometimes I feel like you start something if it's not working for you. Yeah you had yeah, yeah, I mean I had to be here, but you believed in it. You took it all the way. You came back to it. I'm sure left it came back.
Speaker 2: I think the thing about the this world, this theater world. You know, my mother left Toledo, Ohio to come to study at NYU, and she she is that that New York story, you know, she is that one that came from somewhere else with a dream to do a thing. And in a lot of ways, I always felt like she s had to sacrifice that part of her life for me.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 2: You know. So when I am able to kind of create these creative endeavors and and do them, I think about the fact that sh it's her dream too.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 2: You know I I her dream and my dream are intertwined, you know. And so when I think about particularly in the theater, because she took me as a kid to tktks, the super cheap tickets so we could buy tickets or whatever show and watch it together. Mm. You know what I mean, I think about this, and now when we've been able to create Health's Kitchen, you know, this is in a way the accumulation of this dream that she had at nineteen. So it really makes me very emotional and it makes me really like a you know, it makes this so much worth it. You really see through Hell's Kitchen that it ultimately as a love storageing a mother and a daughter. And you know, I.
Speaker 1: Your mother must have been emotional wreck the first time she saw it.
Speaker 2: I know, I me too too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you learn? Like, what what did you heal from that?
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that I really have seen my personal growth, it was it came up yesterday, is that I, you know, my father and I, although my mother raised me, you know, my father and I had a a journey to get through to really find our way to our own relationship that had to happen in its own time. And I'm very proud of seeing the way that we have been able to m meet each other where we are. And so you do get a glimpse of in the in Hell's Kitchen, of the relationship between Ali and her mother and and her mother and Ali and her father, And for me, you can see the growth of that relationship personally. Yeah, And I feel really really I'm proud of that, and I feel like that's something that's important for people to know that there is ways to grow through things that may have been challenging.
Speaker 1: How did you get how did what is the key to that? To mending a relationship like that? Or is it mending even or is just you said meeting each.
Speaker 2: Other where we are? Yeah, I think that. I think that's part of it kind of. I think the first part for me was like really being able to. We think relationships are supposed to be a certain way. You think of a father and daughter relationship, and you think of a certain relationship. That person's supposed to have raised you, they're supposed to have lived with you, maybe they married they they married the parent, the other parent, there was some type of long standing thing and that This is how we see it. But every relationship is not the same. So I think at a certain point we have I we have in our head the way a s relationship is supposed to play out, and if it doesn't look like that in our lives, we somehow feel bad about it. We feel like that it s something has been something has gone wrong. Now, there are plenty of things that maybe could have been better, for sure, m but just because he didn't raise me doesn't mean that we can't have our own relationship. I wasn't ready for that at a certain point, you know what I mean. But and he was either. But then when you realize, okay, so maybe he's not daddy, Okay, I c I could, I could admit, but we could be We can be friends, like we can get to know each other. We can actually have a relationship, our own relationship that we define in our own way. He is my father, It's the truth, and I would like to have a a good relationship with him. So I think taking out the expectations of what it supposed to be and meaning it where it actually is. If you can. If you can't, then don't you shouldn't. And I did that too, I said, noy, know what, I'm not ready to me to hear. I don't. I'm not able to do that. That happened too. But when I was, and it was able to be natural and genuine, and I was able to be open hearted enough, and so is he. And then we communicate, you know, then you then you find wow, I do understand that. Oh, I can see that.
Speaker 1: It's probably so freeing too, right, Wow?
Speaker 2: It l it takes a load off mm takes a big load off, cause I think a lot of times we hold all this anger and expectation for things and people. But who's who's feeling that anger? You? Who's being affected by that anger? You? Who's who's crumbling under that anger? You? The other person don't even have a damn clue what you feel. They go off living their life great as ever, but you are crushed under this anger and pain that you're holding on too. So I think when we can let that go and kind of say again, we don't, that doesn't mean that we have to. It's valid. These things come from a place. They deserve to be rectified, you know. But if you could let it go, then maybe you can start from a new place. So that's why I think, because.
Speaker 1: We always hear that you gotta let it go, you can't hold on to anger. We hear terms like that, but literally how to do that is where people get tripped up. Tripped up, yes, because it's emotional. I don't know how to do that. But I love what you said about just meeting people where they are like, Okay, this is our story, so here we are.
Speaker 2: It's you know, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good tool and just a good kind of understanding of getting there. It's so good for you. By the way, the actors are unbelievable. Yes, now that you've done this like you have done it, You've done it. Bag. You are a household name, my friend, you really are. You never think of like you're a household name. There's nobody that I could say at Lasia Keys is on my podcast and they go, who is she? Nobody that does that like you've done. It's wow, it's crazy. And you're still regular to me. I don't know, maybe just because we have a relationship, but I don't you.
Speaker 2: Don't seem to you know me.
Speaker 1: I know you seem to manage that level of fame at least from the outside really well, like you seem to have a good core group. I guess family probably helps with that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. I think family, you know. I think it's also like where I came from that also instilled that in me. And by you know, not to mention the fact that if you know my mother, you know she.
Speaker 1: Will has she ever done that? Has she ever said to you like you are feeling yourself?
Speaker 2: She will like you need you know, just good feel just keep you humble, like how to keep you.
Speaker 1: Humble, And she's right, you want to be humble, you do?
Speaker 2: You do have to kind of like keep things into perspective.
Speaker 1: And do you ever be in your bag?
Speaker 2: Sometimes that doesn't mean that I can't be on my ship. I can still be on my ship.
Speaker 1: And what what lifts you up? What do you most feel like you're in your bag? What is the circumstances that would you know?
Speaker 2: I feel like what I'm recognizing is I can I can really be in my bag when I have a really strong team. M I feel like I feel the most in my bag, Like you know, just recently this summer, I did the Keys to the Summer tour and I felt like I reunited with one of my favorite directors named Diane Martel. She did the thing got You video, she did the like You'll never see me again video, and we connected, you know, to to create the stage show for Keys to the Summer and I just felt like she's so understood a side of me, and she has such a strength in herself that it allowed me to be in my bag because the team that I was assembling just felt like strong. That's the same way I feel with Hell's Kitchen. I feel that same way. It's a strong team. Everyone holds their weight, and so I can be in my bag. We can all be in our bag because there's like equal sharing of the responsibility. That's what I can That's when I feel the most in my bag. Sometimes when you have to carry all the weight and do all the on that you're like you can't quite get in your bag because you got to do.
Speaker 1: Or speaking to my soul right now. Just clear, she's not speaking to our soul. We've been trying to. Sometimes I just have all these ideas and things I want to do and I don't have the resources, so I pile it on myself or you know, I have like a small team, very small team, and so sometimes you over extend yourself and there's no way to deliver or to be, like you say, in your bag when you're like spread them like that is hard at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and I've been there many times. I mean, my team will understand too, where we're pretty small as well. Yeah, there was came a time where we were like, Okay, we have to say no. We have to say more no.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about no. Okay, when do you say no?
Speaker 2: You know, well, first of all, I've realized because you're ambitious, you know.
Speaker 1: To balance. I try to balance though I am ambitious.
Speaker 2: And that's a blessing because you have ideas, you have things, You're motivated, you're inspired, you have on so many levels, which is such a blessing. But then you have to realize, if I can't execute this in the manner that I would expect of myself, you know, then I have to say no. And if I'm putting too much on my team, because now we're we've already said yes to far too many things, you know, we have to say no. So we have started a practice where we were like, okay, this is this has to be a no because it just it's gonna takes it.
Speaker 1: Ever break your heart. Have you ever made a mistake? And no, have you ever ever something you're like, ah, I should have did it?
Speaker 2: No, But I felt many times when I was like, oh, I shouldn't have did it.
Speaker 1: More more regret.
Speaker 2: When you do regret, I'm like I knew, I sh I knew this wasn't it and my spirit said don't do it. And now here I am doing it and I'm mad. I'm not feel I'm not in my joy like I feel frustrated, you know, so I do feel like the nose are y. As part of the relationship of practicing to speak my truth, I have learned to also trust my gut. And I know what yes feels like. I know what yes feels like mm. I'm very clear about what yes feels like. And I know how it feels when it's a maybe mm. And I know what it feels like when it's like it's not really a no, but I think that it's gonna make a few people happy, so I make it turn into a yes because I think that it's gonna be nice for those people. But it's not a yes, it's no. It wasn't a yes, it was a maybe. And so if it's not a yes, then it's a no.
Speaker 1: I don't know, w I I whatever you just said, I'm gonna put in a little clipper and put it for remind myself like this when I'm saying yes to too many things and gonna that's gonna be like remind my reminder. I can't repeat it exactly what you said, but I know it was important. I know I need to hear that again. I know I need to rewind that and press play on that mm, but the nose and the maybes and the yes.
Speaker 2: It's right. So but I feel you, man, Let's talk about it's a holiday season.
Speaker 1: People are dealing with all types of family holiday season vibes and they're home. Some people get very excited and very holiday ish. Yes, some people stresses them out. I just wonder what your family dying because you from the gram, I mean I know you personally, but like from the gram, your family looks like they have the greatest time ever at every occasion.
Speaker 2: What else? Right, It's just just tricky, right, it's the highlight tricky thing about you know, any social media?
Speaker 1: What is the family dynamic of the Alicia Keys holiday season? And well, first of allah, break it down, list let.
Speaker 2: Me family situation. What you need to do is get this diary Alicia Keys twenty vinyl. Oh yes, per playing in the back at your function. It will fix whatever's wrong, whatever's going on, whatever stress you might be feeling, whatever like uncertainty. It's just going wide it away. You're gonna be good. And if you don't know what to get somebody as a gift, oh look at that, so look at that. Just saying that the house that's at our house. It's awesome. I think it's I think it's really cool. We we have a really big family, m as.
Speaker 1: You know, I know you have a blended family.
Speaker 2: You have a big, blended, awesome family. Yeah, and I and I gotta say all of us. It's kind of like a all of us kind of pass through. We have different moments that we're together. I love we do this pre I'm big into rituals.
Speaker 1: Tell me about your rituals. Give us one or two.
Speaker 2: We do this pre Christmas ritual, mkay. And it happens the it happens on Christmas Eve, and we make each other handmade gifts. Now everybody wants to kill me cause they're like, honestly, we gotta do this again this year. And I say, yes, we have to do it because it's special. And every time we do it, it does bring up something unique, and we gather together and we all have to kind of present what we made. And you know, you pull the name and sometimes you know that person really well. Sometimes you don't, h and that's kind of cool cause you're like, Okay, well what would this person like and how could I get to know them a little bit better? And what can I damn make with my own hands that will not be stupid.
Speaker 1: And then the person might enjoy. Give me an example, what is something you made, like when did you kill it?
Speaker 2: Alright, I'll tell you when I kill ki.
Speaker 1: Okay, good telling.
Speaker 2: But maybe it's something as simple as like you have a beautiful printed picture and you put it into a frame that you kind of decorated with something. Yeah, right, So maybe it's something like that.
Speaker 1: Kay.
Speaker 2: The time that I killed it, it was for Genesis. I got Genesis MM and I decided to make this kind of sculpture of this this anime that they love, and I created the tree so that he could have his like characters and he could play in the in the this this main tree. I think it was either one piece or Hunter ex Hunter or one of them. So I made the tree and it was ill. I made the whole base of it, and I had to paint it, and there's like a whole uh see around it. So we did this whole technique with kind of like the stones and the thing and the sea.
Speaker 1: You're making at cards with your hands, you know, you make it like a hole.
Speaker 2: It was a treat in the sea that was the that was the animate that he could play his his little toys in and I was like, oh I I one body killed this. Of course I ain't never see him pay with it, no want like not like all eyes in the corner.
Speaker 1: It doesn't take away from the fact that.
Speaker 2: You killed it. I did kill it.
Speaker 1: Killed it. That's what is the greatest lesson you've learned in marriage about yourself? Mm? What does marriage taught you about yourself?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, cause really it's that's what they say it is.
Speaker 2: It's a mirror.
Speaker 1: It's a mirror, right, It's like nothing makes you work on yourself more than living a life with somebody else.
Speaker 2: Right now, It's so good. This question is really good. Thank you. I definitely know that I am. I'm an organizer and I enjoy that. I really like to create the space for the time that we need. And I learned that I'm really good at that and I have to constantly not let that go.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 2: Like that's a really important thing that I'm good at, and that I think it really flourished it. It helps us to flourish. M you know, because it's easy to be so busy, it's easy to be distracted, it's easy to be working hard, so to me is like, that's just the Aromonts and that's and that's it's something I'm good at. Yeah, we're good at it, but I'm really good at Like, w is there.
Speaker 1: Anything you had to fix about yourself? Cause I feel like that is a thing. Like for me, one of the things in my relationship I learned about myself is that I would internalize you know, I'm a empathetic person, right like I my friends, I wanna you know, I wanna help them if I can, and I would carry it m and then bring it home. And I never knew that about myself until somebody had he had to point it out to me. You know, somebody close to you teaches you something about yourself or just and so I realized that and it's actually been really helpful in my life to be able to be there, still be there and be empathetic but let it kind of almost things go through me as opposed to like holding everybody's.
Speaker 2: Energy issues things. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's like for me, that was one thing. I just wonder if you have any of those experience where he put like a mirror to you, like, hey, maybe you want to work on this.
Speaker 2: I think I have to continue to work on. And I've seen that I have to work on being just better at being a little more still like I'm a do or I'm a getter, or I'm a thinger, I'm a fixer, I'm an organizer, a thing I'm gonna go, or I'm love And I think that I have to get I've seen that I have to get better at being like it's okay that you're just like but he's the same way. He's definitely the same.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you that you're not.
Speaker 2: He's the same.
Speaker 1: He's more I think more than you.
Speaker 2: Or But I think he's good at like when he's home, he's good at kind of like being able to be easy. He can like sleep in the bed, He'll rest until ten eleven twelve. Me, I'm like six am.
Speaker 1: I rest bum bong bong.
Speaker 2: He's like, we gonna need a little like give me.
Speaker 1: Up till a twelve PM. I need it like at least till twelve.
Speaker 2: And I need it too, m you know what I mean. So I think that being able to just kind of like still like be still, not not actually activate and execute all the things, just kind of like be still in the space together it's really nice. And that's something that I I always have to be like, wait, stop trying to do all the things I'm trying to plan, all the things I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: With cam your red down. How happy are you on a scale of one to ten today?
Speaker 2: Today? I'm definitely I I'm not a fucking.
Speaker 1: Ten, really, I am? That is that? Is that all the time for you?
Speaker 2: Most all the time?
Speaker 1: No, that's not all the no, I know, but it's had a common thing. Some people say they have never got to a tech. Some people like, uh, keep a tend reserved. I was gonna go eight nine, Okay, I was.
Speaker 2: That was my first thing, honest, first reason gotta be honest was like eight nine and I and I felt like when I checked in with myself, I felt that I was not honoring my joy and I I think that it is very important that when we're feeling joyful, mm, that we can say we're feeling joyful. I think it's so easy to say this is not good and I'm not happy and this is not going well, and that happens too. And there's plenty of that too that I could pull out and be like, well, this isn't that good. But I'm feeling joyful. I'm feeling grateful. I was thinking about this, celebrating this milestone with diary. I was thinking about launching something that I've been working on so long, with Hell's Kitchen. I was thinking about the love I have for my family and my husband, my son being there with me, my hubby being here with me, and I feel healthy. I'm sitting with my friends. He's actually here. He might be happy right now, but he was. I'm sitting here with my friends. We're talking, We're we're together, We're well, our minds are intact, our spirits are good.
Speaker 1: In real life? What do you pray for most me?
Speaker 2: I prayed for clarity.
Speaker 1: That's mine. I hate being confused. I hate not knowing and not I It's like, if I know, I can figure out a plan of action, or I could I know how to show up. If I don't have clarity, I feel it's crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's a great prayer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clarity, clarity and and peace. Safety. It's good.
Speaker 1: Mm moost are good in real life. What are you most proud of about yourself?
Speaker 2: In real life? I am most proud that I am a normal human me, I don't know, most proud and I'm like, you know, I feel like people can meet me, seeing me, talk to me, bill with me. They're gonna know that I am their sister. I am just I am that same energy. I have not shifted that energy. That energy will always be there. I am very proud of that. I think that's easy to lose.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are a household name. You know.
Speaker 2: You reminded me you could easily be your there's some big headed, annoying human and I'm not with it. I'm just not even with it at all.
Speaker 1: That would not be good for anyone.
Speaker 2: No, and real life.
Speaker 1: How important is money to you?
Speaker 2: Mm? Obviously you know money does help a lot of things. But for me, that's not where wealth is. To me, that's not wealth, that's not that's not rich to me. Like your your sanity is where your wealth is. Your health, man, there's nothing more important than you being able to be healthy. You know, that is your wealth to be able to you know, wake up and have all your wits about you and love, like real love, genuine that thing that's real, not based on something that you have or gonna get for something that who you just are on a Wednesday in your pajamas with nothing, you know, those are those are the thing that's that's like, that's the wealth, that's that's being rich. So I really I'm very clear about that in real life.
Speaker 1: What are your triggers or your pet peeves? Like, what is something that would take you that number ten?
Speaker 2: I mean some of my pet peeves hm on one of mine I don't like.
Speaker 1: I don't like people trying to manipulate me. Yeah, way, oh, somebody tell me half the story, cause they trying to make me do I I could cause I see you from up the block. Yeah, you could have just asked me for what you needed me to do. Cause nine times out of ten, if I can, I would. But when you try to, I don't know why. That's just triggered. I probably you would figure that out. But it's for sure trigger for me will literally make me not like someone. It's not okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can go.
Speaker 1: From like, oh they seem like a nice person to I don't like that.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: That's a real one for me.
Speaker 2: That's a right one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, what's one of my triggers? So it's probably knows I feel like I feel like one of My triggers are like I need you to do what you said you're gonna do. Mmm, Like I do what I say I'm gonna do. So when people can't meet me where I meet them, that triggers me. And like you said you were gonna do that, you should do what you say you're gonna do. You know that's a big one for me. Or don't say it. Just don't say something that you can't do. If you can't do it, don't don't don't say you can do it.
Speaker 1: I just thought of Little Alley in the play and her dad saying she's coming to the thing. That's probably what that's rue.
Speaker 2: I think it might come a little bit from there a little bit.
Speaker 1: And then in real life, what do you I don't know. What do you hope people take from your story and what you put out in the world, like mm or even this conversation today, like when you make things eks wh where where do you hope they land?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Man, I hope that they land in people's hearts. I feel like I just want people to feel the genuineness, the the care, and the pure energy that goes into it, because I think that we're receiving a lot of messages that are filled with like not pure intention. Mm you know what I mean. And so I would love for people to just take away that there is that genuineness, there is that authentic energy that we can be. We can be who we actually are. We don't have to put on a bunch of acts and phony and fake it down and up. We can just be You are special, just how you are. And so I would love that my comfort in who I am uh reminds somebody that they are are incredible exactly how they are, and we can respect and love each other and like applaud and uplift each other, cause I think that would change a lot. I love that, and I love this and with you me too, this platform. Thank you for this natural conversation, and thank you for just being such a supporter of me and the art and so adore you. I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Alicia Keys, everybody, Hey, how so dame here on my show wh