Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald. Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashwan McDonald. Our theme is that there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you, it may be decided of your paycheck. Mine has inspire you to accomplish your goals and live your very best life. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. People always talk about their purpose or gift. If you have a gift, leave with your gift and don't let your friends, family, or coworker stop you from planning or living your dream.
Speaker 1: My guest today.
Speaker 3: Is Amy Award winning sportscaster Brian custom well dressed.
Speaker 1: He joined ESPN in July twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Is an acre for a sports center and they played by play commentator for college football and basketball.
Speaker 1: He also has a.
Speaker 3: Keen eye for fashion and his distinct love for picking up patterns for his custom tailor suits and finding the way to find that right time to match it. This realis man is an avid watch collector, sneaker head and co enthusiasts. Customer holds a degree in Broadcast Journalism from HBCU as they see the real h Hampton University. A cancer survivor, he's a sposed person for the pro State Prostate Cancer Foundation. Please welcome to Money Making Conversations master Class. And I'm gonna get him a hard time because he ain't well dressed, y'all.
Speaker 1: Brian Custer.
Speaker 4: Very very well dressed because I got the colors on.
Speaker 1: I love it man. How you doing, sir man.
Speaker 5: It's a pleasure to be on the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad we was able to connect me because I am a fan and uh you know when I when I when we look at life man, because life as a young person.
Speaker 1: You don't see thirty. Sometimes you don't see forty.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about when your team and then twenty years old, and then and then as you.
Speaker 1: Go through Let's go back to your early years.
Speaker 3: Because you came out of high off of the state of Ohio, Okay, and you went to Hampton. How did that translate your mind from Ohio to Hampton?
Speaker 4: Well, I think like any youngster who was born in Columbus, Ohio, that's all you eat, live and breathe. Ohio State, love Ohio State football, love Ohio State basketball.
Speaker 5: And for me, it was.
Speaker 4: Always a goal to want to play basketball at Ohio State, you know, going through high school. And I knew that, Hey look, you know I'm only six two, so I wouldn't getting any taller.
Speaker 5: I had dream of playing basketball at Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Kind of vanished, and then it was like, Okay, where else can I go to play? Am I going to go to like a Division two school in Ohio?
Speaker 5: You know what am I going to do? And you know this is how? This is how the Lord speaks to you? Was that?
Speaker 4: So I went to church one Sunday and the guest speaker was the chaplain from Hampton and he was talking about how Hampton was this and how all of the best young black men come out of Hampton University. And it was almost like, you know what, maybe I ought to just give up this dream of playing basketball and just go to then HBCU. And sure enough, I went down after service talked to Michael Battle, who eventually became the president of Virginia State. And I went down there and talked to him and I said, man, Hampton sounds great, you know, And he said, you know, I hear you're a good basketball player. I hear your grades are good. Doc tells me a lot about you. And he said, what are your grades? Like, I said, I got a three six? He said, you got a three six Sidney your transcript. Wow, I'll make sure you get into Hampton. And that's what I did, and he did. He got me into Hampton, and I just gave up basketball, the dream of playing basketball in college and to him, university.
Speaker 3: Now, let letters this was your initial dream. Now you articulate, have a nice voce tone, winted. The whole idea of being in television from from in front of the camera site start creeping into your mind because it says journalism but then all of a sudden, now you're in broadcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean for me, I knew what I wann't to do when I was five.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I was raised primarily by my mother and my grandmother, and we lived with my grandmother and she was one of those who watched Walter Kronkrite CBS Evening News, and so I would sit right next to her and that's what we watched every night.
Speaker 5: At six thirty booms, she turned it on and we would watch that.
Speaker 4: And as I got older, I would say, like seventh eighth grade and you may remember this with Sean kids now don't remember, you know, listen they had MTV, you know when we were.
Speaker 5: In college and think that. But before that, on Friday nights, it was something called Friday Night Video.
Speaker 1: Absolutely do you remember that?
Speaker 4: And so I remember at Friday nights, I will be watching Friday Night Videos. But before that came on, my grandmother used to always watch the show Nightline and Ted Copple was the host of Nightline and I thought he had Wow. It was just his voice. It just threw me in and the way he interviewed people. He could interview people of all races, all religions, and he just the way he conducted his interviews. I was enthralled, I was captivated, and I was in seventh eighth grade. At that point, I knew I wanted to do television. And as I got even older, because I loved sports so much, I knew I wanted to get into sports broadcast.
Speaker 3: You know when I was talking to Steve. I talked to Steve Eismith all the time, and he said that, like you, he was watching TV and he was inspired.
Speaker 1: He was inspired by Howard Cosell.
Speaker 3: And now you know, one of the people inspires him today, of course is Brian Gumbele. From an African Americans perspective, who did you have as an inspiration?
Speaker 5: So again from watching sports all the time, one of.
Speaker 4: The guys who I loved was IRV Cross because I would oh, yes, CBS, CBS man football right before that, you know, the football games on.
Speaker 5: So as a kid, that's who I saw. I thought IRV Cross, uh.
Speaker 4: Was the guy, And and then it became James Brown for me. You know, James Brown was a guy who I just I just loved his professionalism, the way he conducted himself, the way he used his words, his vocabulary.
Speaker 5: I mean, and and for him and me and him have become great friends.
Speaker 4: He's becoenna. He's been a great mentor for me. I you text him, call him for any advice. It's you know, that's That's the one thing I love about this this business is that when you've idolized and looked up to someone and then they become a friend, a mentor.
Speaker 5: Uh, there's nothing better. So for me from an African American, there there were.
Speaker 4: A couple of people earth cross obviously because I would watch sports all time, James Brown, Uh.
Speaker 5: And then on the female side, right, if you remember on ABC News Carol Simpson.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely, God, I just I mean it was like for me, it was like the first time seeing a black woman on network television.
Speaker 5: So those to me, those are.
Speaker 4: Like icons Mount Rushmore type people when it comes to broadcasting.
Speaker 1: That conversation we got to talk about.
Speaker 3: You know you over at Hampton you you know, you got all these great fraternities.
Speaker 1: On campus, all right, all of them.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I'm a I'm a Vega man and you're a camp aple side knew Kine Walker.
Speaker 1: What inspired you to go that way? Because it's all good.
Speaker 3: I'm playing with you because because the bottom line about black fraternity is about uplift community, you gotta have a GPA to get in. And a lot of times people forget that because all they hear about is just just to step in, and they hear the word party in and that is such a low level of why we are part of lifetime members of these fraternities.
Speaker 1: What inspired you to become a member of camp aside, well.
Speaker 4: Listen, you know you you're influenced by your environment. My older brother was a kappa, my younger brother is a kapa. My neighbor growing up was a kappa. Uh, so you know, obviously that was really for me. That's what I knew. And you know when I went to Hampton if you you know, and and for people who know about Hampton University, it was run by q's I mean doctor Harvey, big time q uh doctor Khalan who was in charge of UH punishment and things of that nature. Q. I mean all the administration were q. Some of my best friends are cused. But for me, all I knew Waskapa Alpha said when I got there, Kappas were suspended and uh. But there were a few noops on the on the yard and they were just great and befriended a couple of them. Uh, and I just knew. I mean, for me, there was no other way uh to go. It's it's almost like Rashaan, you know, the only thing I could tell you is now, I don't know what you've been told, but the streets of having our purple of gold the world appeared to me in a dream, and he said, the streets are having are crimson and creams.
Speaker 1: Okay, I ain't gonna go ahead on you. I let you just lie.
Speaker 3: Oh oh mag yeah, oh oh mag, god baby.
Speaker 1: Oh oh mad. Somebody trying to sneak in a frat. I can't finish it on my podcast direction. But you know, my brother, you know it's great man.
Speaker 3: You know when we think about our lives and our youth, because that's that's the part of our life.
Speaker 1: Where we feel invincible.
Speaker 3: You know, we just see the future, the possibilities, and sometimes you can't see the possibility because it's so far away.
Speaker 1: And when you still you start seeing people thirty and forty, you can't even imagine that.
Speaker 3: Brian, So when did this start coming into play, that this career it was a possibility for you?
Speaker 4: Well, you know when I when I was in high school, you know, obviously playing sports and doing a lot of things. The principal at my high school, you know, really he took a liking to me, and he always said, hey, look I need.
Speaker 5: You in a leadership role.
Speaker 4: And I went to a school called Westernville North High School in Westernville, Ohio. It's a suburb of Columbus, and uh, he said, you know, I need you to take a leadership role. Especially in my junior senior year. One of the things we did was we produced a video for our school, and he went, I had I got to help like narrate it and do that.
Speaker 5: I was out kind of out front when they shot it.
Speaker 4: So I did those kinds of things, and he gave me an internship. I got into an internship program that was for high school and it was about placing you in a professional setting in a obviously in a job that you're interested in. So I wanted to be sports, a sports anchor, and they placed me with the sports anchor at NBC. And so I would go there every weekend and I was like an intern man. I did whatever he wanted me to do, and I did that basically my senior year. When I wasn't in season playing basketball, I would go, and then when it was over, I still went and I would just go and hang out with Doug.
Speaker 5: I remember the sports taker guy named Douglas Cells.
Speaker 4: And I would just go there and still go and help out even when the internship was over. When I was in college, when I would come home from Hampton, I would still go up to the station and go help him out.
Speaker 5: And I just knew this was what I want to do. And I was at Hampton, I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, I got the opportunity to call football game, I called minor league baseball game, all kinds of stuff, and I just knew that this was going to be my calling. And I was lucky enough that when I graduated from Hampton, my first job was in radio. I got a job back in Columbus, Ohio at the news radio station. And this is what you know, kids, they wanted like this these days. But my first job, man was that uh news radio station. I worked from midnight to eight and at the top of the hour, I came on and I delivered the newscast for five minutes, right, And that's what I did man, from midnight to eight o'clock.
Speaker 5: In the morning.
Speaker 4: And I worked that job chund for like a year and a half and and and then uh, they they promoted me and they said, Okay, what we're gonna do is now you're gonna, uh, you're gonna come in and they said, we're gonna shave your hours where you can work just just halfway.
Speaker 5: You'll work from uh six o'clock to ten o'clock.
Speaker 4: You're gonna come in and do do the newscast top of the hour, and then we're gonna have you work another four hours from like it was from four to eight. You're gonna we're gonna send you out and report. And then I had to like cover the school board, city hall, all kinds of stuff like that. I was like, I can't do sports, and they were like, nah, I and so but I did it. And the crazy thing was, and you know this all of like the news directors in town, you know, their radios were set to that news radio stage. That's what they got up to, and so they would hear my voice at the top of the hour. And the news director at the ABC station, he thought I was a white guy, right, and he ended up calling me and right out of the state, said hey, look, I'd like to meet you for dinner.
Speaker 5: I ended up.
Speaker 4: I'm twenty three, twenty four years old. I ended up meeting this guy at Chili's. I'll never forget it in Columbus for dinner one night and I pulled in heat and the look on his face and I never did it.
Speaker 5: Mike Kevio, nice guy.
Speaker 4: He just said, you certainly don't look the way he told me.
Speaker 5: That's what he said. You certainly don't look the way you sound. I thought you were much older.
Speaker 4: And quite and you gotta admit you gotta remember see, people don't realize this too.
Speaker 5: We're shon. This was in the nineties. People can they talked. We talked much different in the nine gus than we talked today.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And he said that you look you look much different, and he goes, I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 5: You're you're darker than.
Speaker 4: I thought you were light and h That's how I got my first job in Tellis. He offered me a news reporter job.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I know we always said that, you know, the kids that they don't want to work hard, well, in some way they don't have to with the way social media allows them to grow these brands and jump out on TikTok and jump out on Instagram and especially YouTube. They're millionaires and thousandaires just tied to their subscriber base as influencers. It's really incredible how that game has changed and allow people I call them innovators. I don't I don't really jump down too hard on because if I had that technology, no telling what I would be doing. Because I'm using technology now to be able to produce this and feel like I'm in a studio and it's really just in my office building. So technology allows us to like bridge some gaps.
Speaker 1: But as you as you.
Speaker 3: Go through these journeys, you know you and I share a story. When I say share a story, it's tied to cancer, and I just want to share a little bit of my story because I want to hear your entire story because it's important. And one of the reasons I brought you on the show, Brian, not the fact that you are successful. And I feel that everybody wants to be And I say everybody because everybodys sitting at home want to be a play by play who watching watching football, baseball, basketball, soccer, They want to do play by play. But when I was diagnosed with tyrod cancer in twenty fifteen. I can remember, just like today, when they said the word cancer.
Speaker 1: You know, I heard.
Speaker 3: It, and then they said something that we can. Then they just use the word treaty. We can, probably we can. We called it early, sir, we could treat it. But I just stayed on the word cancer because all I all I all I heard was Wow, who survives cancer?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: How can I live? How could I tell my family? How can I go public with this and tell people that I work with? How would that affect how they look at me? It really started resonating with me in such a powerful way that it scared me.
Speaker 1: And it also allowed me to put.
Speaker 3: My life in perspective because I didn't tell my wife immediately because I wanted to find out where I was at mentally.
Speaker 1: And when I.
Speaker 3: Looked at it, it's all about where you at in life. And at that point, and I still today, I felt that I was good if it was going to go that way. I was good because I'd accomplished the things that I've always wanted to do in my life.
Speaker 1: I felt I was a good person.
Speaker 3: I felt I had enabled other people to be successful tied to the talents that God gave me, and I was cool with it, but it still was a moment in my life where time did stand still.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tell you, Rachelle, I don't know if you could see my arm and that hair is standing up, because it's almost like everything you said happened to me, because you know it look like you.
Speaker 5: It was basically ten years ago.
Speaker 4: Ten years ago in August was when I got diagnosed with prostate cancer. Like even like today, I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. Even then, I was a forty two year old man, strong this and that, doing martial arts, boxing, playing who doing all kinds of crazy. But the one thing about it was I'm probably the only person in my family who goes to the doctor and gets an annual checkup every year.
Speaker 5: Religious the only person in my family who would do that.
Speaker 4: And just went to my regular checkup and the doctor was telling me like, hey, man, you know if we need to do your PSA, you know, because you're forty.
Speaker 5: Now, and da da da da da.
Speaker 4: And at the time, I was like, what's the PSA for proste I didn't even know what my prostate was.
Speaker 5: I know what my prostate did and I was like, yeah, for what.
Speaker 4: And they were like, yeah, well, you know it's something that is affecting men of color and you should, you know, we should, you know, take this. It's just a blood test. And then I've got to do a digital rector exam. And I was like, oh, all I thought was that movie Flesh. I don't know about this doctor right, And it was that kind of that stigma, like I don't know, and he was like, look, we need to do it. And we did it. And just to be to be full full disclosure this, I really got it. When I was forty we did it, and in any the following year when I went to my physical, he wanted to do it again to give me the PSA one I was giving my face and I was like.
Speaker 5: Look, we did that last year.
Speaker 4: The results came back, I was good, and we ain't got to do that and we blew it off. And then when I was forty two went to back and get my physical, He's like.
Speaker 5: Oh, let's do your PSA. I was like, ah, we did it last year. I wouldn't again, stigma. I wouldn't have him trying to stick his finger up. I was like that absolutely not down with that, and so he was like, no, I.
Speaker 4: Think we need to do it because we didn't do it last year.
Speaker 5: You didn't want to do it. And luckily, you know what, we did it.
Speaker 4: And when he gave me the digital rectord exam, he felt the bump on my prostat and he said, look, when the results come back, if they're above a four, then you know we got to talk. If not, then you know, maybe it's just a calcium deposit or something. But I'm a little worried about that bump. Results did come back and they were a five point four. Wow, And in my mind I was trying to justify it. So I was like, oh, that's not that high. Over a four, maybe it's pretty good.
Speaker 5: You know. I just put the results away and didn't even think about it.
Speaker 4: And then maybe two weeks later I ended up calling him, left him a voicemail and he was like, yeah, it means we need to you know, you need to come back in and we need to do another one. Did another PSA test, bump was still there, results were still high, and then we had the biopsy, and at this time he was kind of like you. He was like, look, we're not gonna say don't say nothing to your family, don't say nothing to nobody, because I think we ought to know what it is before we go forward, and we don't want to scare anybody because it really could just be a spike, It could be a calcium deposit.
Speaker 5: And so I was not saying to anybody. Man. And I had that biopsy, man, and you know that, as you know, it was horrible and uh.
Speaker 4: And I just remember driving into work into the city in New York City one time and I looked on my phone and it was two one two, so I knew it was the doctor. And I called and I was like, oh, yeah, I'm about to go into the work, into the job right now.
Speaker 5: You can just give me the results. And he was like, nah, I think you ought to come to the office. Yeah, And at that point.
Speaker 1: Which was basically was giving you the results. Yes.
Speaker 4: I made a five block walk to his office, and I felt like that movie Dead Man walking because I knew something was going down and it was kind of like you. As soon as I walked in the office, the assistant was like, Brian Custer's.
Speaker 5: Here, He's ready for you. And I walked right into his office.
Speaker 4: He was sitting there and I'll never forget every time he said, listen, man, there's there's never any way to tell you this. You know, you got cancer. It's aggressive, it's looking around, and he said, I gotta be honest, I gotta I gotta find somebody, a specialist and get you into surgery.
Speaker 5: Like now, he said.
Speaker 4: And at that time, all I saw when he all I saw, all I heard was cancer.
Speaker 3: How did you dance that moment of being confident comfortable to talk about that?
Speaker 4: And so here's here's the thing again, I'm going back to what you is. This is in twenty thirteen, so the times now again are a little bit different. My whole aspect at that point was I don't want nobody to know.
Speaker 5: First of all, I was like many other guys. I'm like, I'm forty two. I got prosta. This is an old man's disease.
Speaker 4: All I used to hear about was your grandfather and this and that got prostate cancer, not a forty two year old man.
Speaker 5: And I'm not trying to.
Speaker 4: Tell anybody this and tell anybody I got cancer because now people don't think I'm gonna be dead. And I remember the doc was like, you know, look, we'll keep it to ourselves, you're gonna we're gonna, we're gonna get you into surgery and you're gonna be okay. And so I remember going to the network and I had to talk to our president. Our president. Our president was in the room, the vice president of the network was in the room, and so was the PR guy. I told him what I had. You know, obviously I was very emotional. They were like, look, we're gonna keep it quiet. We're just gonna say that you're going off on vacation and then you know, we'll address it. We will address it after you have surgery and we know everything is okay at that point, then we'll let people know. But until that time, Brian, what do you want to do? And I said, well, I'm gonna keep working and I'm not gonna say anything. And they were like, look, we're not gonna say And I didn't say anything to anybody until the day I had surgery. Was the day I made it public that I had prost tact cancer. And the only reason why was because my doctor he referred to a specialist who is the guy named David Somati here in New York who does who does surgeries on prostact can great urologists. And I remember he's saying, I'm the best, Brian, You're gonna be great. I know it's aggressive, but we're gonna go in there. We're gonna get your prostate and I'm gonna take care of you. And he said, I'm only going to ask one thing of you, and he said, I need you to use your platform to help men of color about this disease, because he says it is ravaging your men of color and they need somebody to face, a young face like you to see that look, it's okay, I have it too, and it's all right, it's not don't be shameful about it and be honest about it, Brian. He goes, that's the only thing I'm going to ask of you, and at that point I was like, doctor, I'm not trying to tell nobody. He said, that's the only thing I can ask. And after discussing it with my family and everything, I said, okay, you know, obviously I have it for a reason, and God put me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, And it's important.
Speaker 3: He said that because of the fact that when I talk sometimes a cancer I always tell people I know I don't look like a cancer survivor because people stereotype of the cancer survivor look like gray hair, come poorly out of shape, you know, down on they love you, know, they kind of like stigmatize them the look a certain way, so it can't ever be me, when it will definitely be you because of the possibility of your lack of knowledge, lack of education, lack of resistance, like you resisted of years of getting these checkups and and and it only just got words to think about cancer. Cancer don't go away without help. It's gonna just keep winning until you step in and realize that you have to be honest with your body. Listen to your body, because your body is telling you, is talking to you, is telling you these things are not comfortable, that it's not right. And when you ignore because of manhood, you ignoring because of rumors, You're ignoring because of stereotypes, that can cost you and your family and your friends. A great person gets who that great person is you, So it's good to remember that.
Speaker 5: Yep, absolutely, I.
Speaker 1: Know you know.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna just tell you this now. You know we're about twenty six minutes. Man, we've been talking. But before we go, man, I know you covered this fight this weekend. I'll call it a fight, Brian. But uh, it was going good. They were looking good, Tattoo Sweaton. Then all of a sudden, my man, my man came right under his ribs and my man back to the collar and squatted.
Speaker 4: Anybody knows who's fought you take a shot to the liver, it's a rat.
Speaker 5: And I think for for Ryan Garcia, that liver shot had a lot to do with it.
Speaker 4: And too, you know, look he looked down, and I think Tank even said it. He said when he took that shot and he took that knee, he said, he looked up. He saw Tank, Sir said, and he told him he said, he looked at it. His said, in other words.
Speaker 5: Don't get up.
Speaker 4: If you get up, I'm gonna really put these hands on you.
Speaker 5: And Ryan's a good looking young man. I think that was a bit this decision too.
Speaker 1: Hey, good good kid.
Speaker 4: And I'm hurting this dude's about to rearrange my faith and I'm too.
Speaker 6: Crazy right now to have some damage done to this face. So he said, you know what, Nate, not just go ahead and get to ten. Yeah, all right, now I get up and the fight was over. Yeah, it was great. I'm gonna tell you something. I'm a big fan, Brian, and thank you. I'm gonna tell you something for us.
Speaker 3: I have this comfortable conversation this journey and it's almost thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: It really tells us we have a relationship.
Speaker 3: And I say that to say that anytime you need me, anytime you I got something.
Speaker 1: I want to promote or get out there.
Speaker 3: You know, I definitely want to be a sponsor for you, a big brother to you because I am older than you and I've done this all my life and again, man, and even more, a more closer relationship like my boy Steven as my boy. You know, that's my little brother. It's my best friend. And so now I'm gonna throw you. I'm gonna lump you in there too, okay, Brian.
Speaker 4: Why I love that because I've been I've been such a fan of everything you do.
Speaker 5: When you look at look, I think people underestimate your resume and what you had done.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're a freaking legend dude in this business. Man, and listen, I love working alongside with Steven. I mean, Stephen has just done great things at the network. You're know, with the face, you're at you're at the worldwide leader and we got a black man h black man HBCU and that to me, that's what I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Brian. We're gonna talk to my brother.