Speaker 1: My guess is are Tammy Lewis.
Speaker 2: He's a registered nurse with more than thirty years of experience in health care money making multifast. You're in a success will know he's giving me many occasions in home care and business.
Speaker 1: I'm not consulting agents. You know he'll be in c I'm a consultant. You didn't make my decisions. Make what he recognized.
Speaker 2: Him for my money for company, her expertise in the home care industry, you know if you want to know more about her, you're going to find out.
Speaker 1: Ideal health Care Solutions, Inc.
Speaker 2: Is a consulting firm for small to mid size and startup home care agencies. Please welcome the Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Tammy Lewis. How are you doing, Tammy?
Speaker 3: I'm doing.
Speaker 1: How are you pretty good? Where you based at? Tammy? Where are you based that?
Speaker 3: I'm actually North Carolina?
Speaker 2: North Carolina one of my favorite states. Or any any any particular meal that you like or you like a a Southern girl type or menu person or what what would you like to eat if you had three pieces, if you had to put three things, when would you start your dessert? Okay, see I start I eat my dessert first, and people said start your desert. They always looking at me crazy when I do that. But I love my dessert first. So what do you What would your r trade look like and what would your dessert look like? Being from Raleigh, North Carolina?
Speaker 3: Yeah, see I didn't say I was from Raleigh, said I recited Carolina. Well, you would have to take it back to Nashville tennis.
Speaker 2: Ticketed ticket now were talking about fried ticket now?
Speaker 4: What are you?
Speaker 3: Fried chicken? And Colgreens now? But like you, I eat my dessert first. I actually went out Yeah, I actually went out there ate earlier and I had my cheesecake first.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 1: What type of cheese toket did you have? What did are your? Are your? Are you a person? Who are you? Are you a cook or a baker?
Speaker 2: Or you're just a person that goes out and you're not one of these just a just a just a person that buys stuff and eat it and you just enjoy food.
Speaker 3: Listen, I can do it all, but I just enjoy food.
Speaker 1: There you go, you just like me, now enjoy food?
Speaker 2: Did I didn't want to give you all off target because I know why you came on the show. This is money making conversations, master classes, not uh, it's not the food Network.
Speaker 1: This is why people like you, you know, come on the show.
Speaker 2: And uh, and and and and and I've never had a get I called you.
Speaker 1: Prior to the show. I never had a guess like they said, we shout, I don't know how to take that. And I said, well, don't take it bad. Don't take it bad.
Speaker 3: What you say.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that you know in the healthcare business, you know you you you know, you know about hospitals, you know about doctors, those nurses, orderlies and.
Speaker 1: All that stuff. That's the part of.
Speaker 2: The the healthcare business that we all know about. Okay, now I'm hearing a nurse talking from an entrepreneurial perspective. I've never heard of that process, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I know that. Talk to us about how did you get involved? What inspired you to get into the industry.
Speaker 3: Well, when I was five, I decided to become a nurse after watching how they cared for my grandmothers who both passed away from cancer, and I saw how they took care of them. So that was really when I decided to become a nurse. But after working in the healthcare industry for a number of years. I saw a lot of things that I didn't like and how things were being run right, So I started working for agencies and one of the agencies that I worked for was a registry and basically what we did was since caregivers out into the homes. And I liked it, you know, I you know, because at that point you kind of make the rules. You know, you set the standards. You know, you choose the workers, you know, you make the rules, you set the times. You know, you get to cater to the clients. And I kind of liked the structure of that. And because I worked in geriatrics for so long, in the nursing facilities and I saw, you know, how administration was, you know, handling things. I saw how the caregivers abuse the clients and they were trying. Yes, I saw a lot of abuse. I was reporting the abuse. Nothing was being done about it because you know, they're working short so they don't want to lose their workers, so they're continuing to let these caregivers work on the floor. So that's when I decided that I was going to start my.
Speaker 2: Own business further because I want to really get a clear understand because because my mom who's now passed, you know, we had somebody a home care for her. You know, it's hard getting somebody that was in Houston, Texas. Hard getting somebody that you trust or you know, because you know you're leaving basically a stranger at your at your at an elderly person's multi vulnerable state. You know, she had to be helped to shout, she had to be helped to the restroom, you know. And and so how does one because I'm sure somebody else who's listening to this this show is in similar situation I was or in currently, how does one vet a quality home care person on an agency is?
Speaker 3: It's really, honestly, it's experienced. Once you do the interviews, the multiple interviews, once you do the background checks, once you do the personality test, once you do the drug screens. It's really listening to your gut once you cause you still have to check references. But one of the things that I encouraged the families to do was to get nanny cams. We actually with my agency, we partnered with a company sold nanny cams. So we always encourage the families to do that and we let the workers know, hey, these families, they're going to be using nanny cams. So when you go there, you know, you don't be on your phones, you know, don't be on social media. Do what you're supposed to do. But the other thing is you have to make sure that you get experienced workers. A lot of and I hate to say this, but it's true, a lot of the younger people they just didn't work out because they don't have anything in common, you know, with a geriatric patient. So when you're sending people to the homes, you really want to make sure that you're matching them. And one of the things that we did at my agency was we would choose three different workers and to take the workers to the homes at separate times, and also let the family members be a part of the interview process because at that point, it's like they're choosing the worker as well. So you want to you know, involve the family members and give them a say so.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's really interesting when I hear this, because you know, we have to you slow it down. You know, this is a business. Let's remember this.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of.
Speaker 2: People making a lot of money in this business. People are getting paid salaries, you know, in these business staffing agencies that that that that UH employ people to fill these positions that out there. And that's a fear factor when I say that, in the fact that, like you said, screen and you can screen you, you know, because the thing that really blows me away.
Speaker 1: Is that is it more older it's people? Is it more older people now than it is when I was a kid? Of what is going on here?
Speaker 4: Because it.
Speaker 1: Seems like it's like it seems like it's just an outbreak. I'm just community exploded. What's going on here?
Speaker 3: People are living longer. You know, back then people live to what maybe seventy eighty.
Speaker 1: These people are a.
Speaker 3: Hundred years old.
Speaker 1: True that you used to be like, oh yeah, just the big thing can now now go down the streets? Ye hundred two hundred two.
Speaker 3: No, Seriously, I have taken care of cling who are over one hundred years old. They are living longer, and not only that, they are bank rusting the long term care insurance kind of be These companies are going under because they only expected them to live to sixty seventy and a half to seventy years. Now these people are living, you know, thirty years longer. And that's how they're paying for this this care. So yeah, that people are just living longer.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to say that then I wasn't trying to be funny, you know, Shine, It's just funny anyway. But I'm going like, Okay, Now, when I was a kid, you know, Grandma and Grandpaul, you know, they went on by their business. You know today, Oh yeah, Grandma about out there of me?
Speaker 1: Okay, And so.
Speaker 3: So it is even day is it is it diet?
Speaker 1: Is it is a diet? What is what is?
Speaker 3: What is?
Speaker 1: Cause of day?
Speaker 3: It is? It's diet, it's exercise. You can go out to the track at any given day and find a ninety year old woman walking five miles and you're trying to keep Oh my god. You know, I'm telling you they are. They're taking better care of themselves. But you had to understand that the healthcare system, you know, it's a lot better than it it was back then. There are a lot of things that we know now that doctors know now that they didn't know back then. The nurses know now that they didn't know back then. So so the healthcare system has evolved, right right right. You know, they had medications for things that they didn't have back when our grandparents, you know.
Speaker 2: Was probably now I know that I know that you had, you know, I know shifting gears because I'm a cancer survivor, you know, and I remember when I was announced fifteen. I not always to people, you know, I'm all I always got to get checked up every year, every six months because you know, cancer is that great. You don't want him knocking on your door, you know, surprise you. Okay, so you want to make sure that there's an issue. And I know you you suffered the loss in your family due to cancer. How did you How did you deal with that? And it was your husband?
Speaker 3: Correct, yes, it was it was my husband. Grieving wise, I'm still dealing with it because he just passed away last year. Right now, as a healthcare professional, it's kind of hard because as nurses, we know too much, you know, sometimes you can know too much. And the type of cancer he had was a brain cancer called gulio blastoma. And there really are no tail tale signs for glio. Most of the time. By the time they find it, it's because that person has a seizure. You know, There's not a lot that leads up to it. And that's basically what happened to him. He had a seizure. You know, I took him to the hospital. They couldn't find anything, you know, brought him home. He had another seizure, took him to a different hospital. You know, they had to do the catskins the MRI and that's how they found it. And when they did the biopsy, you know, it came back and it was level four, which is like the last state. So he you know, they were giving him a matter of months because glio blastema is the most aggressive cancer there is. Is so aggressive and even if they had caught it earlier and he would have been a candidate for surgery, it still grows back. It's just that aggressive and he comes back with a vengeance. But he actually I kept him at home in chear for him and he actually lived two years in a month.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: You know. When we found that out, I'm like, oh my goodness, you know, because yeah, they were only giving him a matter of months. Wow, And the doctor said, you know, maybe a year, but they weren't anticipating, you know, him living that long. But listen, we have some major prayer warriors. And I was on my knee because I'm like you know, you.
Speaker 2: Find you find God and you find God and these moments where.
Speaker 3: Where you will. But yeah, he passed away last year and thank you. I started in an organization of a foundation called the Anthony Lewis Foundation.
Speaker 2: Hey, I want to go to break and I want to I don't want to rush through this the foundation. I want to hear more information about that, The Anthony Lewis Foundation for Brain Tumors Incorporated. We were right back. I'm talking with Tammy Lewis. He's a she's a registered nurse, you know in there thirty years of business and healthcare business. And now she's consulting and advising people who want to get into healthcare business how they can do startups and mid sizes. Don't go nowhere and be right back with more money Making Conversation master class hosted by me Rushawan McDonald's.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushaan McDonald.
Speaker 1: You are now tuned into the money Making Conversations. Minute of Inspiration with Rashawn McDonald's. On the Court, Chris Paul is at forced to be reckoned with off the court.
Speaker 2: He's a father, husband, compassionate philanthropists and businessman. He makes a huge difference in this community by supporting many organizations.
Speaker 5: There's so many people who have helped me get to where I am today. That is paying it forward and just trying to teach and educate, especially the youth. Not only my own kids especially them, but everyone just trying to teach them because I'm still learning. Because what happens also is a lot of times people see you on television or they see you on that court, and they think that's all you know. They think all you know is how to put the ball in the basket. That's not the case, not only myself, but a lot of intelligent athletes out there, and I think that's why we have to continue to learn. It's funny sometimes when you do get in the business world and people shake your hand, they make a comment and they like, oh, you know about this.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear this full interview with Chris Paul, visit Moneymakingconversation dot com.
Speaker 6: Keep Winning HBCUs represent Black excellence. If you attend or are an alumnus of an HBCU, we want to hear about your story. The My HBCU Story Digital Library will allow current HBCU students and alumni to share their stories. More information is available at HBCU College day dot com.
Speaker 1: You can upload a photo.
Speaker 6: The photo can be recent or from when you attended your HBCU. More information is available at HBCU College day dot com.
Speaker 4: Now, let's return to Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaun Donald.
Speaker 2: Thank you and welcome back to Money Making Conversation Masterclass, Tammy. When we ended our call the first half, Wood went to break. He was telling us about your foundation that was created because of the passing of your husband, the Anthony Lewis Foundation for Brain Tumors Incorporated. Tell us about that and if any way that one could make donations to the nonprofit?
Speaker 3: Sure sure so yeah. So, after Tony passed away last year, I actually decided to help other individuals who were suffering with the same disease process because one of the things that I learned in going through it is that it was very expensive, very expensive.
Speaker 5: And there was a.
Speaker 3: Time when there was a gas and insurance and his job dropped and so we had to go over to Cobra. But during that time we still had to do the treatment, and it was anywhere from twenty thousand to thirty thousand dollars every two weeks that we had to pay out of pocket. So I asked the nurse, I'm like, hey, you know, if people can't afford this, you know, what do they do? And she said they die? That was the answer, you know that she gave to me. So it was in that moment that I decided I was gonna set up a foundation, you know, for individuals to help with the copains and the medications, the caregivers, the transportation because when you go to the hospitals for the treatment, it's an all day thing. You're you're literally there six to eight hours. You have to pay the park, you have to eat, and it can get really expensive and a lot of people you know, aren't prepared for it.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: And the foundation will help them with some of those costs that it will also educate them about the disease process as well as connect them with other community resources.
Speaker 1: Now, this is the Anthony Lewis Foundation for Brain Tumors. Is their website?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a l f BT dot org, a l f B dot org.
Speaker 2: Awesome, thank you for sharing us the information. Thank you for sharing your story, because these are the stories that empower people to let them know they're not alone, because sometimes that's what defeats people, you know, that they feel their story. Who could they tell their story to? Who could they turn to? Who can they cry with? You know, cry with you know this this guiltiness of this pain and suffering.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: But again, the reason I primarily brought you on the show was about your your consulting business, Ideal Healthcare. Please tell us about their Ideal Healthcare and how can you help people pursue entrepreneurship under your umbrella.
Speaker 3: So with with Ideal Healthcare, Uh, basically what we do is business startups. So we help new businesses decide you know, structure, We help them set up their businesses. But we have a focus on home care businesses since that was my expertise for about ten years. So if they reach out to us, basically what we do is we assign them, you know, to one of our representatives and they find out what it is that they need. But we also have a network of friends because I've had other people reach out to me because I think they get home care, which is personal care services, and home health which is more like a skilled service like a physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech. You know, I think people kind of get those mixed up, so we do have a referral source to where we can refer people out as well. But because I have so many nurses coming to me to start businesses that I didn't have the expertise in that, the Nurse Boss Summit was kind of born. And actually I have an event coming up this weekend in Greensboro, North Carolina. It's called the Nurse Boss Summit, and it's going to be about three hundred nurse entrepreneurs at this summit and we have breakouts, keynotes, panel discussions, and the breakouts are set up with nurses who are entrepreneurs and they're teaching people how to start businesses in the industries that they're in, such as home care, home health, CNA, schools, finances, whatever industry you know.
Speaker 5: That they focus in.
Speaker 3: That's what they'll be talking about in their breakout.
Speaker 2: Session, so they can go there and learn where they want to take their talents right exactly.
Speaker 3: But there are also some leadership breakouts because not all nurses want to be entrepreneurs, but they still want the leadership skills. So we do have leadership breakouts for you know, staff nurses as well, and we are giving contact hours the CEUs and we're doing thirty four CEUs so the nurses can come to this two day event and get all of their contact hours for two years. So that's more about that for two years.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah to me ask you this question because I've heard about teachers union all the type of is there a nurses union?
Speaker 3: There are lots of nurses association.
Speaker 1: Right, but there's no like, no no union.
Speaker 3: There is a union that's being formed right right.
Speaker 2: Right, right right right, because because when I hear that Boss Summer, you know, it feels like there's there's a place where where nurses male and female can come there to become educated, the bond, to talk and convent, to share recommendations or referrals. Because that's what this is all about. When the nurse boughts and you say this in Greenville, what we're about.
Speaker 1: In North Carolina.
Speaker 3: It's going to be in Greensboro, North Carolina at the Sheraton four season.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there a website that a website that they could reach your information?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 3: Sure? It's Nurse Bosssummit dot com and it's Nurse Boss Summit on all of the social media platforms as well. But again the website to purchase the ticket it's Nursebosssummit dot com and the summit is also a fundraiser for the foundation. Part of those proceeds will go to the foundation as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm gona tell you Sometamy. I want to thank you for coming on my show. First of all, you took me on the journey with the levity, levity, with the You know, you're a great personality. That lets me know that you're as a Your bedside manner is fantastic. You understand the business, you understand your role, understand the need for education, because we need to be educated. I'm talking about me as a person who is getting older, who has whose parents were passed away. But my mom did home health care, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Interview interview, interview, and then we in a large family. Yes, the baden who's gonna take there, who's gonna visit all these days? Wow, it can be a journey. But I want to thank you for taking your time to come on my show. And please, please don't don't be as stranger as they say when I call you. Please come back because because idea healthcare is a brand that needs to be need to be more and more aware about it. But again, the Nurse Ball Summit is this weekend in Greenville, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Correctorobly Greensboro, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: I want to thank you for coming on the show and be safe. Okay, I appreciate thank you again. This is Money Making Conversations Master Class. Tammy Lewis Attorney Jayleen Mack. I appreciate everybody who listens to the show. This is your show. Like I tell everybody, it's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living you on. That's what we do on Money Making Conversations master Class. Thank you for listening. I'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations master Class. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.