Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashaan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go. This is Rashan McDonald had to grab the mic because I was in there dancing because you know, we're about to talk about some great music. I know, I know, I know, but I'm about to mention some song gonna bring back some memories today because next month is that's June is a Black music month, and we're gonna talk to music. But let me let me get the intro started and so I can just lay everything correctly. Welcome to money Making Conversation master Class. As you know, I'm your whole Rashaan McDonald. Our theme is that there is no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you, it may be the size of your paycheck. Mine is inspiring you. That's right, you who are listening, You who are driving, you, who are streaming this show nationwide? To accomplish your goals and live your very best life, It's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. The reality is is that when I do this show and I look at myself, cause I get up every morning at four thirty Monday through Friday. I get up and I tell people when I get up, I'm not a happy It's not about a happy get up at four thirty in the morning. But to achieve my dream, to achieve my goals, I have to get up. I can't hit this snooze button. I can't think about what if somebody else did what I needed them to do so I can be successful. In the end, your dream is your dream. To achieve your dream, to make your dream happen, you have to make it happen. And I always tell people this. Everybody has a gift, not gifts. Let's talk about that gift. Let's hone in and that one town, that one skill, that God has given you. Lead with that gift, and don't let your friend's family or coworker stop you from planning or living your dreams. I will tell people this, between the ages of eighteen and twenty four, you are invincible, You're immortal, You're a dreamer. Can't nobody tell you nothing. When you get forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, get that same attitude back that can't nobody stop you, that you're invincible, that you're gonna live forever. Because even at eighteen, there was no guarantee that you would live forever. So why should you not have the same mentality when you're forty, when you're fifty and sixty, that you're going to live forever. Because your dreams, your legacy you create, can make you a legend, can make you a memory, can make you a person that has changed other people's life. I remember when I was diagnosed for cancer, and when you get diagnosed for cancer, the thing about it is that your light flashes before your eyes, and all I could think about was my future. But I settled down, I realized what I had done in my life. At that point, I was really comfortable if cancer was going to bring an end to my life. Unfortunately for me, it has not. So you have to live each day with a goal, with a desire to understand that when you wake up, have a sense of purpose when you wake up, have a goal. When you have that goal, achieve the plan that you are trying to achieve out of that and don't let nobody stop you from achieving. I guess she's that person. One of my favorite people I interview on my shows. You know sometimes on NPR you can't like promote or say you like something, but I gotta say I like her. She's one of my favorite people. My guess it's Deana Williams. She's the broadcaster, celebrity, strategist, curator, live event producer, celebrating fifty years in the music, broadcasting and entertainment industry. Professional. That's what she is. She's the person that's been there. Because it's really interesting and we're going to talk about this. We talk about longevity because when you're successful, you really doesn't think about longevity. To you get to that longevity part and then somehow you get nervous because you look it back, look back on what you've achieved, and you wonder if you can continue to achieve that some of the archives are really now in the library of Congress co founder. Check this out, Black Music One. It's on the National Museum of African American Music and Nashville Board. A regular TV wants Unsung and is referred to as the mother of Black Music One. She's established and she's going to get a big proclamation in the city of Philadelphia. Please welcome the one and only the Money Making Conversation Masterclass, Deanna Williams.
Speaker 3: How are you doing, Diana, ooh blushing, I'm another collar. Oh my goodness for san Now you know I love, love any opportunity to interact with you for a myriad of reasons. One, you are so inspiring. You are when we talk about success, you are helping. You're giving the blueprint to listeners, to viewers of success because you are bringing on the air people who are grustlers, grinding and hustling, and you are a master grustler. So I'm honored to be with you today. I'm wc Okay, all right now, my daughter went to she went she attended school there, and shout out to David Lynton and.
Speaker 1: The oh David Lynton, he's sitting in here.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's sitting in the room.
Speaker 5: And I didn't know that that's my boy.
Speaker 1: You know, he got me on over here boy too, because you know, everybody has a dream, and I was talking about that earlier. But when you say, like, I remember when I when out, I left IBM, and I wanted to pursue a career as a standing comedian. I just wanted to do it. You know, I was just I was twenty six years old at the tem cauld't nobody tell me nothing, because I felt that I had to do it. And a lot of people said, don't do it. You're leaving a great job like IBM. And then thirty came, and then forty came. And I really tell you this to be honest, that it wasn't into my forties did I really realized that I had a gift, that I had the ability to do things that everybody else wanted to do. And people were starting to come to me for advice and starting to understand that I had a different way I looked at things when it came to marketing and branding. When I did this show, bringing people like you on the show. Let's talk about that journey in the early years when you were just a voice, but you were an incredible voice. And when did you realize that you were seeing things and giving advice to people that was a little bit different than they were getting anyplace else.
Speaker 3: Well, salute to you again for helping craft the careers of many super successful individuals. I wish i'd met you younger in life difference. But the person who inspired me there were two people other than my parents, my mother Nancy Newman and my father George Williams. And other than my parents and my grandparents, my family, my foundation, it was my ex Kenny Gamble and my best friend Kathy Hughes, who was the founder of everything with the one in It, Urban one TV, the Dollar one, everything. And so those are the individuals that helped shape me. But a good friend of mine, Hubert Law said to me when I was in college. He says, you have a great voice. You should do radio. So he was one of my you know, he was one of my early advocates. So I would give credit to those individuals. And a gentleman by the name of Van j And lastly, the person who gave me my first job with health benefits, his name Bob Nighthawk Terry, and he saw the movie Talk to Me.
Speaker 4: He was in the movie with P. D.
Speaker 6: Green.
Speaker 3: Nighthauw Terry was the gentleman who came in with the dogs. That was my former boss who gave me my first job in radio.
Speaker 1: Well know, not today. You know you got to have that boys back in the day. You have to talk certain way, got to have a voice. And as about personality, you really get really don't have to talk like you talk? Are the way everybody to have the articulate every word came I clear, But now everybody throw out the word authentic, you know, organic, relatable. How is that? How have you seen that? Has that changed the business?
Speaker 3: You know? Back I come from the era of radio personalities, where people who are very vibrant personalities like Frankie Crocker, Yes, By Higginson, who is the woman who inspired me, who was also on the air at WBLS in New York on one O seven point five. Uh. You know it kind of got wortered down at a certain point. But I think radio personalities we come for that tradition. You know, the great Jocko Henderson and Georgie Woods, the guy with the goods. These are legendary broadcasts.
Speaker 4: Mary Mason Louise Williams Bishop.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I come from. And while I am currently celebrating my fiftieth anniversary, I've seen all kind of changes in radio broadcasting. But at the end of the day, it's personalities. People want to hear a voice that they trust, they can rely upon, that they can set their watch. Oh wait, we don't set our watches anymore, but you know what I mean. They want they want that familiarity, they want somebody who feels like family. And that's the style of radio that I've always engaged. And even though now I'm doing talk radio, I've done music radio my entire career. But I'm a guest commentator on w u r D, which is progressive black talk radio in Philadelphia, So I get to do what you do.
Speaker 1: What you do, well, we know the beauty of you know, because you threw out a name. You know, you throw out a name just in my ex nite.
Speaker 3: Which one, oh my EXX you know, Piker Rock of my family and my very very dear friend Kenny Gamble, who is one of the architects of the found of Philadelphia with his partners.
Speaker 1: Don't go past that too fast, now, you know, South of Philadelphia. Come that music. We gotta talk about that music loop, Okay, because you see a lot of people don't know all they is the artists all if they hear the singer, they don't know who the master behind, mastermind behind, I miss you.
Speaker 3: You know Kenny Gamble, Leon Hoff, the great Drummer, Young Love, the Ojs, Kenny Gamble again.
Speaker 4: And Leon Hull ain't no stopping us now.
Speaker 3: Big Fadin and Whitehead, Gin and John great producers and songwriters.
Speaker 1: That's just a few, y'all. Because of the fact that you know, the soul trained thing.
Speaker 3: The soul Trained theme with Don Cornelius was done by Gambling Huff and it featured the three degrees and mss turn off the lights, my my borrow a cup of sugar, neighbor and my best friend until he made his transition. Theodore pender Grass, Teddy Pendergrass Girl.
Speaker 1: That was my song back in the day, boy, turn off get me excited because now going back to my younger days, when you know when when when a slow song meant something back in the club.
Speaker 4: Dates, Yeah, you know, you look across the you.
Speaker 1: Look across the floor and made eye contact. That's all you needed. If she looked your way, you looked that way, and you just did the head now, the head up or the head to the right of the head up, and she went cool. Then y'all made our way to the floor and.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, and you know what, Sad Jones, mel Lewis, Gambling Huff died two albums. I believe with them, the great Dexter Wanzelle, who was coming from a jazz tradition as well. So incredible musicians. They called from the Philadelphia Orchestra string layers and then they had the fiercest rhythm section.
Speaker 4: I love the music of the sound.
Speaker 3: Of Philadelphia, Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: International, you know the music, but it had a message in it too a lot of times, you know, like wake up everybody, they're sleeping in.
Speaker 3: Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes again with Teddy Pendergrass.
Speaker 1: Family Reunion for the Old James, the reunion.
Speaker 3: I got to have. And you know what, how about I always loved my mama. Dambling huffros that one as well, and.
Speaker 4: I always loved my mama come on, my favorite girl.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the thing the thing about it is that are we are now this generational Okay? You know you had pop but then you had rock and then you had the mothership landed. You know, it landed. You know it landed. When I was playing basketball in the early seventies, when the when the when the pea fonk came, make mother funk the phone come on now. But nobody was stopping them boys in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: And they were inspired. I thought, I heard you say, Barry Gordy. Barry Gordy and Motowns and Detroit set the standard for Gamble and Huff. They actually flew out. Gamble's first airplane ride was to Detroit to visit Motown, where they were interested in speaking to them to be songwriters producers at Motown. And when Gamble and Huff saw what Barry Gordy had done. And if you've ever been to the studio, which I'm sure you have, absolutely in a house, it's small, no way, all that great, big music from all those artists Stevie Wonder, Martha Reeves and the Bandelas, Mary Wilson, Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations, you're.
Speaker 1: Right there, you know, because sometimes we be in the mix, and so you know, it's like it's like you just be rolling through it and you don't realize you understand what's happening, but you don't really appreciate it because it's just happening. And you enjoyed a moment because greatness was all around you from those sounds and artists. And what was your head at at that moment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very great question. I often reflect back to it. I knew that great things were happening. I was very cognizant of the fact that I was around tremendously talented people, not just my man, but the people that he signed to the roster. Junie carn is godmother to our children, Gamble and I had three children, So I was I was aware, and I was on the radio. So I was on the air.
Speaker 4: The first at WBLS.
Speaker 3: Then I went into television for a minute. Then I came back to Philly and I was on w d a S one oh five point three when it is a monster heritage station absolutely in Philadelphia, and that's the station where you know great like for instance, there's a woman named Patty Jackson. She has been on the air.
Speaker 1: Full lea because I gotta go to break you know the rules and radio.
Speaker 3: Yes, if I do, I got to go.
Speaker 1: I'm coming right back. Now, we're gonna talk about your proclamation in Philadelphia. Come back, We're going to talk about black music, money, We're going to talk about the museum in Nashville, all these things. My friend has had a major book. See that's where you bring friends on because you got to remind them of the blessings they've given us. Be right back with more money making conversations, Deanna Williams.
Speaker 7: We'll be right back with more money making conversations. Masterclass with Rushan McDonald.
Speaker 8: You are now tuned into the money making Conversations. Minute of Inspiration with Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 1: Comedian Kim Coles is known for her famous role as a cast member on the hit TV series Living Single. Now Kim has been sharing her gifts of public speaking, motivation and training leaders in community groups, companies, and women conferences.
Speaker 9: And what it really is about is creating a community of like minded individuals in which my business partner and I coached them through building their business. We did a masterclass on self care. It really means rest setting boundaries. It means saying nowhere, saying yes, deplete you further. It means filling your cup so that you can serve fathers. My ladies are more busy now than they were before the pandemic hit because they realized, all I've got a vision, I've got to keep going, and I'm building an empire that will last longer than me. This is about building legacy.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear this full interview with Kim Cole, visit Moneymaking Conversations dot com. Keep winning.
Speaker 7: Now, let's return to Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaun McDonald.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm talking to Deanna Williams. She's been proclaimed oftentime as the mother of Black music monk. But before if you've watched TV ones on song, you've seen her. You have seen Dianna Williams. You already heard all this music. So when you try to go back and get one of those those greats, they gonna roll her in. Go queen, start talking. Give give us the truth, because you know the truth because you saw it all you saw. Not only you saw it, you played it, You participated. You at the concerts, used at the events where the music was revolutionizing the sound. But it was all coming off the East coast, and then you had Detroit, then you had the West coast. Those sounds and that music, and I be remiss because I want you to go back and talk about my girl, Patty Jackson, because I cannot. She's done so much for my career. She's done so much as you've done for my career being able to give me a voice and given the talents that I've worked with a voice. Because people don't understand black radio is a little bit different in our community because black radio tells us how to vote. Black radio tell us where to go, tell us about the weather, tell us how to get up in the morning, tell us when to go to bed, tell us makes us feel good about ourselves. It makes us party about our says, remind us of respect. Black radio is powerful and it should never go away because of the fact it's an emotional tool to our future.
Speaker 3: Do you agree exactly?
Speaker 4: I completely totally agree.
Speaker 3: Black radio is the clarion voices of our community and it has been and will continue to be as long as humanity exists. And prior to the break, what I was saying about Patti Jackson is that she has been on the air in the same time slot for thirty years. Unheard of white, purple, Polka Dot orange. She is a voice in the community and as you reference my career celebrating fifty years. Patti Jackson and I are part of a group called the Inaugural thirty thirty Black women broadcasters from all over the country. Our archives last Friday were installed into the Library of Congress. We started the morning out at the White House with Steve Benjamin and the new Press Secretary Well she's a year in her position, Carine Jean Pierre, and Erica who's in charge of African American media, Erica Lowe. It was incredible, but shout out to all those women for their illustrious careers and being voices on the regular in our community. As you said, Rashaan, where do you go vote?
Speaker 4: Who's coming to town?
Speaker 3: What place did you be? What you know? It's voting, it's time to register, Where to go, where to get help? Where to get social services? Where who's hiring? Job theres That's what we do. We do more than just play feel good music. We are the voices in our community to alert, to inspire, to inform.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting. Like I'm from Houston, Texas, I can remember or stationed down there called Magic one oh two. I can tell you right now today the very first song that that station played in nineteen seventy seven when it came up with Johnny get talk on Johnny Guitar Watson song ah Wait one. Do you remember real Mother for you?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes?
Speaker 1: And you know. And so that's how powerful music is because it can lock you into an emotion. It can also inspire you to be great. Now when you talk about black music, when I cannot get off this air is talk. Let people hear the story of how that came about, how you very instrumental alone with mister Gamble and coming about tell us about how black music mark came about. And now it is recognized every June.
Speaker 3: Well credit goes to Kenny Gamble. Again, we were a couple at the time, so obviously as a couple we worked together on everything, including the children. But Gamble went to Nashville and he saw what the Country Music Association was doing with their unity, carving out a region calling it Music City, being very smart about the economics of the creativity, and he said, we need to do that in the black music industry. And so he came back under the offices of another organization that he established called the Black Music Association. June Black Music Month was born and Clarence Avons, who's known too many in the industry and outside as the Godfather, called the White House as President Carter's administration to host an event at the White House for the Black music industry.
Speaker 4: And it was a little bit of everybody.
Speaker 3: Billy Eckstein was there, Chuck Barry, Evelyn Champagne, King, MFSB, Dexter, Wanzell, Andre Crouch, They all performed and in the audience was Barry White, Gloug Robert Gordie, just Frankie Crocker, myself, Dabele and I. You know, it was my first time going to the White House. So June seventh, nineteen seventy nine, Jimmy Carter declared June Black Music Month, and that was forty four years ago and we've been celebrating ever since. Myself as well as DJ ed Wright worked with Gamble for the further establishment of June Black Music Month. And in two thousand, I went to President Clinton, I went to Congress, I got legislation passed a bill called the Black Music Month Bill, acknowledging the multi billion dollar industry that black music is all genres. With Sean, you know, absolutely, it's not just it's all genres. But the number one genre in the world right now is hip hop music. As we celebrate fifty years of hip hop. So that was the origin gamble Ed Wright and myself carving out a month for us to highlight. That doesn't mean that July first, we don't celebrate black music. It's the three six five celebration. But June is a concentrated period of time for us to elevate and celebrate.
Speaker 1: Now, now this is amazing when I hear all this conversation, because you know, you can say, you know, hip hop is the number one stream music, but guess what. Guess what he's sampling from?
Speaker 3: Often from R and B and jazz, no question about that. And tribe call quest with a Q tip. They definitely borrowed liberally sampling from jazz and R and D.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Now the nash New Museum of African African American Music in Nashville, Now what is that museum in Nashville.
Speaker 3: The museum is in Nashville because it became a partnership between the public and private sector and they raised, we raised, I'm on the board, hundreds millions of dollars necessary to build the museum. So people overlook and I didn't know this either, Rashaan, that Nashville a rich tradition in gospel as well as jazz. Jimmy Hendricks was there in the late sixties. Jimmy Hendricks was living in Nashville, so and country music. I know some people want to dispute this, but the reality it came from black people. White people developed their own style of country music. The country music and black folks and the blues and gospels always in Nashville. And the biggest ambassadors around the world in the eighteen hundreds were the Jubilee singers, and people overlook that as well.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that a lot of people forget all that. You know, the Tennessee, Alabama, you know if you look at you know, the whole when you look at the Aretha Franklin, her story when she was going down to Alabama, you know, muscle shows, that's what she was going down that she was going all the way down there to get the best musicians.
Speaker 3: And absolutely a local musicians.
Speaker 4: And hey, all those early Aretha Franklin.
Speaker 3: Songs that we love, we're backed by a lot of white boys and black people too. Bernard Party was was a great.
Speaker 1: I wonder why she's on on the song all the time. It's like, I just actually like to just shut up and just let her talk because you're so elegant, first of elegant in your tone and also the information you just throw out. You know, it's like, you know, like I said, you know, it's never too late to manage somebody. So you know we'll talk later. Off there, you know, right, I met you earlier.
Speaker 3: Now, oh well, sure, sure we're connected forever. So Nashville is the home of the National Museum of African American Music, located on Fifth and Broadway in the heart of downtown Nashville. One side is the original grandelopri the other side is the Bridgestone Arena. So we are like in the heart of downtown and we cover all genres and sub genres of Black music from field Hollows straight through to hip hop right now. So you got to you gotta come see the museum. And I encourage everyone to go to n m a a m dot org. That's name a'am and that's the acronym of the museum, so.
Speaker 4: You can peruse it.
Speaker 3: You can see our galleries. We have seven galleries, fifty six thousand square foot facility, a Contemporary her Story and History Museum of Music.
Speaker 1: Now you've got a proclamation coming up in Black Music mont Wise in Black Music Month. I wonder why this happened in Philadelphia, but tell us about it, and uh, you know, I will tell you this. I was honored recently at the Black Media Awards and went over there, and you know, you don't get old when people recognize you. It doesn't get old in the fact that you have congratulations, thank you know, congratulations on you. Because of the fact. I'm just reminding everybody that you know, when people knock on your door, they call you or remind you of what you're doing now or what you've accomplished, it's truly a blessing. And and for you to be honored in Philadelphia in Black Music Month, tell us about it and tell us, Uh, your expectations are they gonna let you talk or you gonna take their wards? You're gonna walk around, take some photos? What's going on?
Speaker 4: Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: We're gambling. I as two of the founders that live still in Philadelphia, are being recognized by Philadelphia City Council on June eighth, and we are receiving proclamation for our work as the co founders of June Black Music Month and still living. We're champions of music and Philly. I'm on the board of the Recording Academy, which is the Grammy organization. Gamble is still very active in perpetuating culture amongst black folks and others in the city of Philadelphia. So we are very excited, and our children very excited. Their parents recognized.
Speaker 1: You know, they just thought they just need to have a party out there. You know, missus Me and Missus Jones be jamming, love trained. The sound of Philadelphia. It just be you know, the ship, a harship of horseship of come on, n they can, just they can. It's really amazing. The genius you have put the word genius because there's something that that that I can't comprehend. My degree is in math, so I know understand logic, I understand numbers. I understand two plus two its four. But the creativity, the process of being able to manipulate sound and put together words and make those words just resonate not only years but decades later. And the fact that you were part of that is still a part of that. Being able to tell this story on my show today, I just want to thank you. I want to thank you for taking the time to come on masterclass.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you Rashaan for everything. Like I said, what you do, you are a master.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. But again, let me just tell you this now. You know, I'm just letting everybody know the world know. She said, I wish I'd have met you earlier, because you know, this about the This is about the fourth time I've interviewed you, Diana. Okay, And every time we always say we're gonna get together. Remember the first time we supposed to, we were working on some TV show where we're gonna go, Yeah, we're gonna be like the masters, sitting over here and you know, talk to young people trying to make careers out of that went no where because guess what, we didn't talk no more.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not too late.
Speaker 4: It's never too late.
Speaker 3: That's an advocate of it. It's never too late to actualize your dreams.
Speaker 1: She threw out a word that I knew nothing. I've never heard, actual lives. Because you know why, I would never say that word, because I will fumble through it.
Speaker 4: Actual I know you wouldn't know, you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I love you incredible congratulations and you know, uh, this is live this live radio. I wanted people hear radio. It's gonna get syndicated nationally through all my HBCU campuses that carry my show and podcasts. But more importantly, you are a You are an incredible person. Thank you for coming on, Money Making Conversation master class, the.
Speaker 3: One Queen, Thank you, the.
Speaker 1: Mother of Black music.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: If we celebrate every June.
Speaker 3: And celebrate y'all read to your children, scream or by the music of your favorite artists, go see live shows.
Speaker 4: You know, there's so.
Speaker 3: Many different ways you can and guess what consumers are part of the celebration. It's not just for the artists or the songwriters or the producers. It's the executives. It's you, it's David Lynton, it's the listeners of double it's everybody who consumes black music. So happy Early Black Music Month to all, and.
Speaker 1: We talked soon. I appreciate you, Thank you, Bye bye. He is coming up next, Sergeant Major Keith L. Craig, the super connected Hollywood whisperer. I'm gonna tell you something. The word connected, the word relationship is why Hollywood works. If you don't have the relationship. You don't know anybody. Talent is there. Talent is important, but you gotta be connected where I'm talking to next in my next break a connector a connector, don't go nowhere. One Making Conversation Masterclass with Rashan McDonald. Be right back with Sergeant Made There, Major Keith L. Craig.
Speaker 7: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushawn McDonald.
Speaker 5: HBCUs represent Black Excellence. If you attend or are an alumnus of an HBCU, we want to hear about your story. The MYHBCU Story Digital Library will allow current HBCU students and alumni to share their stories.
Speaker 1: Registration is open to everyone.
Speaker 5: More information is available at HBCU college day dot com. Click my HBCU Story. Next, you can upload a photo. The photo can be recent or from when you attended your HBCU. Then share your academic or social experience at your HBCU, which can be your favorite class, hangout, joint, homecoming game, student center, honor, off campus party, greek show, and how attending an HBCU changed your life. We also want to hear stories if you pleasure a fraternity or sorority The goal is to use your my HBCU story to promote and uplift the HBCU brand. Your HBCU prepared you for success, and now we want everyone to read about your black excellence. Our information is available at HBCU College day dot com. You can click my HBCU story to share your story.
Speaker 7: Now let's return to Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 1: Hi, this is Rashan McDonald. Welcome back to Money Making Conversation master Class. I'm a dreamer, y'all. All right, Maybe you don't know that about me, but I come from the neighborhood. I come from an inner city, six sisters, two brothers, And the interesting thing about me was that I watched television, and television showed me a world that I wasn't living in. It showed me the possibilities. And I used to always watch Jaques Cousteau was my man. When I was growing up. I was so Joques Gusteau. And when I went to college, guess what. I worked offshore because I wanted that. I wanted that experience. I wanted to be in the ocean. I were working eighty miles out in the golf on a on an all rig. They will fly me out there on the health helicopter and I stay out there for two weeks. And so I tell people, you know, if you don't dream it, you don't think about it, you don't make it a possibility, then it cannot happen. Well, my next guest is a person who that's what he does. He makes the impossible possible. Sergeant Major Keith L. Craig, the super connected Hollywood whisperers, a go to for independent filmmakers, producers, directors, development deals, finance options, distribution and budgets. I don't want to lose anybody on this because because of the fact that if he doesn't do what he do, then you don't watch what you see on television. You need him. This year, they have fifty new titles to be released across digital platforms including Amazon, Google Play, Apple, Roku and then select theaters in less than thirty days. Because he in partnership poor to Craig clients, film will go global. Please welcome to the money making Conversation mathterclass the one and only Sergeant Major Keith L. Craig. How are you doing, sirt?
Speaker 4: How are you doing? Thank you for the introduction, glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what, Sergeant Major. Let's let's start right there. First of all, thank you for the service. Let's get a history there, because you let me know there's a military in you. How did it all get started?
Speaker 4: A long time ago, age seventeen, I went into the military.
Speaker 1: So it was a really long time ago, sir. Was lasted last week, can be last week? It was.
Speaker 4: It was a long time ago, you see in a storyteller already.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely do you think? Do you think, sir?
Speaker 4: But yes, a long long time ago, at age seventeen, my mom actually actually had to sign me into the military. I heard you earlier say that, you know, you're from a community that was it wasn't it wasn't supportive as far as launching you into you know, your tomorrow. So with me, you know, my mom and I was once homeless, you know. So you know it's from there that I actually you got my wheel to succeed, right, So my you know, I had some people in my past once told me that I wasn't going to amount too much because I didn't necessarily like to do what you know, we were doing down there. As far as shark sharecropper was concerned. But uh, fast forward, I went to the military and and just had some great assignments and and there, you know, I learned the I learned discipline. I know, you know, the power of you know, having morals and values and integrity and honors, being honest and selfless service to others, and and that pretty much led me to to have some great assignments. And actually was deployed six times, spent over two years in in Iraq. In one of those years, I was part of intelligence brigade that actually gathered the intelligence that led to the captives of dam Hussein was at the time arch Emmy number one. Fast forward twenty ten, I actually uh took three thousand men and women over to Haiti for poor the Prince to help to sustain the city that were you know, over there because of the earthquake. Twenty eleven, twenty twelve, I was part of the logistical unit in Afghanistan in between Kabul and Kandahar. Will actually supported see a team six as we crossed the burn into to take out a summer bin laden. So as you can see, I've been around and with the places I've been and the people I've met, throughout the years, I was able to excel in the military and make it all the way to the top one percent, which is a sergeant major. And for those those you listeners who don't know what the sergeant major is, because Hollywood has done an awesome job of teaching people what you know, a colonel is or a general is or at role is right, but they don't know this that every one of those rushan has a sergeant major as a senior advisor. They don't make a move unless they, you know, unless they you know, have dialogue with the sergeant major. You know what I'm saying. So yes, and that's kind of how that was my army career.
Speaker 1: So let's go down on that career because I think it's important as one of the things that you know, this big giant press releeve. People always saying how you guests on your show for show, But sometimes I get these press release that come out and I go, wow, I need to talk to him because of the fact that, you know, we talk about options in our community, we talk about the negativity of you know, sometimes I'm gonna tell you some sergeant made I look at television and I see, you know, violence and I'm just praying it they're not going to put a black person's face on the screen, because it appears far too often than I want to say it should. And so I remember once when I was really an advocating military service. You know, a lot of people in the black community, like you know, trying to were resisting the values that I was trying to say that a young person who doesn't may not have the options to go to college should at least look at it, don't just announce it. Tell us about the values, because I don't want to go past that, because because it still holds a lot of tremendous values right now, and quite frankly, the military community is struggling to enlist people, to get people to enlist.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, yes, obviously I actually a hold an MBA now, but you know I got that inside of the military, you know, And I also have no student loans because of that, because as as as a as a soldier that's in the military, you actually have the ability to go to school and get your education while you're serving. So it's kind of like, you know, you it's a win win for those who don't want a student loan. You know what I'm saying. So, you know, oftentimes we talk about society, you know how it kind of steers us to it kind of presents a road map to us, like you you should go to college right as you go to college, that that will determine your job, but that also determines a certain amount of debt as you as you leave the university, you know. So, So I was actually this past weekend speaking at the Howard University and one of the things I spoke to people about was professional score. You know, believe it or not, society is keeping score of the things that you've done before you leave college. As you enter college, for instance, it's like, what was the GPA, what was the NCAP scoreps? You know what was Were you part of community out there? You know when you go to church, boy scout, girl scout? So you have to always build.
Speaker 1: On your brand.
Speaker 4: So the military forded me an opportunity to go get educated and be able to have a launch point to choose anything that I wanted to do from the military, because it's obviously it brands you to where it doesn't matter what color you're choosing, red or blue, whatever side you choose, and everybody accepts people have served their country because we believe red, white and blue, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, so, so what when did you start to transition into seeing Hollywood or entertainment as an option.
Speaker 4: When I was deployed over in iraq U, I saw organization that would bring over entertainment to try to take our of mind off of combat for two or three hours you know year because we spent three sixty five, three and sixty five days uh in deployments. So but I never saw any entertainment that looked like us, you know, saying for us the minorities. Right. So it was at that point as a senior, as a senior advisor, a senior soldier in an elements soldiers came to me, uh and asked me, you know, sergeant major, what can we do to have somebody that we like?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I started to reach out and and reach out to Hollywood and and meet a few people and then brought over the likes of BB King and the temptations and things that nature and it you know, it kind of felt good to make people happy. So that's what I you know, I started, I got the bug right then, Like, okay, so you so you.
Speaker 1: Started out basically a promoter you're producing shows, bringing in talent that was appealing to to an artist that felt that they were not getting to they were they were, they were happy to be entertained, but wasn't really feeling the entertainment.
Speaker 4: Right, right, It's absolutely right. The most of the entertainment was from Kentucky or Tennessee. If you understand that mean right absolutely.
Speaker 1: Like I said, until you participate that you put yourself in a position to be able to have power. And like I said, as a position you in sergeant major, you positioned yourself to be a promoter, to be a producer skill set that guess what people do every day, you know, Promoters are just advertisers. Promoters are just you know, companies that somebody promotes these grocery stores, somebody promotes these cars, somebody promotes these football games, these basketball games. That's all he was doing in the smallest stage. But you were learning to skill and that skill allowed you to start starting seeing beyond what you were doing in the military.
Speaker 4: Correct, absolutely absolutely. As a and I was a senior logistation in military. So when I got that call to go out to Hollywood's and meet some executives out there, and I was looking around. You know, what could I do? You know, there was producer, there was there was distribution, there was you know, theistic things that nature. The one thing that I saw that the science connected and the science made sense to me. Logistics and distribution is pretty much the same, right. You know, there's a there's a need. Uh you know, there's a component that needs to be carried somewhere and people need that thing, so you help delivered that. So that that made sense to me. So I just went to u c l A And got certified in the Business of Entertainment and from there it started on my plights.
Speaker 1: Now, now let's let's put it. Let's be honest about it. This is this whole relationship you in the military. Sergeant made you. Yes, you cared a certain amount of respect when you walked in the room. People. I know, I'm gonna give you my respects. Thank you for your service. Cause first wall, you protected me and you don't even know me. So that is that is a that's a mindset that people have to wrap their head around. There that somebody has chosen to protect this entire country in parts that person may never go or never see. And but that's a special person that does that. But when you walk in the room with these producers, these executives, these these individuals who are decision making, do you feel that because you were in the military allowed you a certain ability to make a better make stronger relationships, or create relationships you might not have had if you were not in the military.
Speaker 4: I would say being in the military, it taught me how to enter a room. Right, there's a certain way. There's a certain way as a man, you know, Oh woman, you have to carry yourself right, you know what I'm saying. There's a strict there's a certain dress code associated with that. Because, believe it or not, we we we are always judged and scores always kept on how we move. So it's very important that you know, they always want to put us in a box based on our pigmentation. So it's very important that you move as a you know, like a professional. Yes, you know, because you are being so it's it's.
Speaker 1: How you move, and it's really and it's important that you people hear that, you know, because of the fact that you know, we could, we could, you know as young people. We all were young. You know, I had to before I lost all my hair. I had a big afro. I remember, in fact, we're going to go to break when we come back and tell this a little short story about how I didn't want to conform to my company's dress code and guess what, there was no success for me. Frustration and that's all he's talking about. Be right back with more Sergeant Major talking about he's a whisper, y'all, but he talks loud on my show.
Speaker 7: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 8: You are now tuned into the Money Making Conversations Minute of Inspiration with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 1: This week, I sat down with award winning actor, best selling author, and entrepreneur Heal Harper. He stopped by and talked about how his thyrout cancer diagnosis led to his role as a health and wellness ambassador, teaching everyday people how to live healthier lives.
Speaker 6: We believe that a lot of the root cause of cancer has to do with what we put on our skin. Our skin is the largest organ on our body and endors everything. Just as if you ate it, your ender consistent, your liver, your kidneys have to deal with it. And they said the reason why it'll never be tested because the same companies that make the lotions that contain the aluminum, the petroleum, the paramis and the oils and all these things. The same companies who make that are all the same companies as a drug company, So they're never going to do a long term study of the effects of their product.
Speaker 1: If you want to listen to this full interview with hell Harper, it's available on money Making Conversations dot com.
Speaker 7: Now let's return to Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 1: I'm on the phone with He's here, Sergeant Major Black Panther. I want to bring up that movie. I'm pausing because I'm thinking about how important that movie was for me personally, how important that movie was for me in the in the in the industry, because we had never had a movie come out that that sold the tickets that it sold, that was directed by a black director, and you happen to be a distributor, probably the long African American distributor on that movie. Tell about your tell us about your role and some of the achievements that you were able to, groundbreaking achievements that you were able to do with the movie. Black Panther.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was part of the team, and you're right, You're correct, I was the only black guy that was part of the strategy for distributing Black Panther. And what I mean about distribution, Uh, you know, I was one of the people that designed the strategy as far as what what demographic market aread of Black Camp will be released in right, and that's based on know everything from Race Creed, you know. So yes, I was a part of that, uh, that strategy on how he was going to launch that and Black Panther went on to make one point three billion dollars. So yes, at the time when questions were asked of me, do you think that this would be a successful movie, because, like you said, uh, it was directed by black you know, Ryan Coogler, a black director, and it was the first film in history to have an all black cast, which was you know, angela basket far As with a good chat with Bozeman, Michael be Jordans on and so forth. You know, it was a risk for the studios from their vantage points, you know. So but yes, all those things were factors in it, and and even all the way down to when we were talking about you know, what months should we should we release it in and uh, obviously you know I see the month of February. Why because it's Black History Month. You know, that means something to us. So absolutely, I was very proud to do that, and also excited to get get phone calls from the likes of stars that were actually renting out the theater so that the underprivileged community could actually go and screen the movie. You know what I'm saying, the ones that couldn't afford it. So very proud of my people, if you will, my brothers and sisters who who did things like that, who had the means to make that available to everybody.
Speaker 1: You know, Sergeant Major, I'm talking to Sergeant Major Keith L. Craig. You know, I've been in Hollywood since ninety three, went out there in nineteen ninety doing stand up comedy. I actually started writing on television shows in ninety four and been fortunate to write on anywhere from The Parkers, the Jamie Fox Show, The Sister Sisters, the Robert Townsend Show, The Parkers I mean Robert towns to Your Parenthood, as well as Arsenial Hall and that whole period of writing. And I hope put it is distributing the whole put relationship. Tell everybody what exactly is your role in Hollywood?
Speaker 4: Well, my role in Hollywood is, like say, I think the young people call the plug, right, because my clients are the networks. When you talk about hbos, the Stars to show Times, you know, the the netflixes and all those along with it, broadcasting the digital pieces of it. You know, I have the ability to when people have finished films, to get their content, to find they find a good home for their for their content.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I think that's very, very, very important. And I also you mentioned earlier why they called me to holl with whisper. I think it has something to do with us trying to protect the filmmakers because you know what we we We speak to five and six filmmakers every day, and what we're noticing is they go into the filmmaking piece of it with understanding that it's three it's three pieces to filmmaking, the pre production and production the post production. So the flaw in that though, is by the time you finish post production, your editing, so and so forth, you actually are out of money, you know. So it's what my partner and I, Jeff Porter, what we do is we teach people there are six phases. Maybe teaches the wrong word, but we we coach teach a mentor that there are six phases.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: The additional three phases is branding, marketing, and then distribution. So it's very important that you say almost a third of your budgets that you're looking at as a production budget to make sure that you'll feelm actually it does the business that you wanted to do at the box office.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you this, because you know the streaming is out here. You got a big old writers strike going on, and you're in distribution, and then you got all these titles. You know, I look at a lot of streaming channels out there and that go and they say the word free, and then I see all these these movies, these blockbusters from back in the day, and they start and collect all these catalogs. As a distributor, how do you align yourself with certain channels or streaming channels to say this is where I want to take your product or do you wait for them to ask you for the opportune to distribute your products?
Speaker 4: Do you mean the filmmakers, Yes, sir, you you know, we we both right, we we we look for films that we you know that we're interested in right and also you know, filmmakers look for us people that are interested in getting results, because as we make a name for ourselves, obviously my my resume you know, makes people. You know, let's let's at least just check these guys out and from there we just do good business, you know what I'm saying. We, like I said earlier, we're all about transparency and integrity, things that nature. And we have direct relationships with these platforms. So if you bring a film to us, it's not a it's not if you can get it there. We have relationships. We know what these networks and these digital platforms are looking for, you know what I'm saying. Even when we shit on a monthly basis with these broadcasters, these network stations, right, the conversation is, you know, we're looking for a BOC. These are the components of what we're looking for right now. Whether it be all female lead driven cat with humor, you know what I'm saying, Or is it are you looking for, you know, horror with some mystery in it. Well we know what those we know what those apps are. So when we come back once we find a filmmaker that we we think either they're going into making the film, you know, with with with those components you know of that production there, or we you know, we take what they have, we find what they already have, and we shot and we bring it to the networks and that you know, we sign a liscens to deal.
Speaker 1: Well know, it's interesting because I'm really trying to wrap my head around this because you know, it's like, you know, as a writer, I knew I got a check for writing there's a stand up. I got a check for telling my jokes. As a manager, I got commission check. How does it you know, I'm not trying to get in any detail, but how does a person like you make money? So people can understand how the process works.
Speaker 4: Sure, as as as a distributor, right, there's obviously there's services fees. Right, so when you bring a movie, a finish, a finished movie to us whatever, there's a there's a services fee attached to that based on we service you. You know what I'm saying. We get your film on Netflix, then you know, become a partner. It's a partnership. Okay, So you say, you say, you know, you say, Sergeant Major Stargy, Major Craig, I have a film. Okayon simme over Screenlink's take a look at it. You know, once we look at that film, we say, okay, we think we got a home for that film. Let's let's send it over and talk to you know, this personal with this network. See what they say and from Once we get the the the ya from that network, we come back and reports to this is this is the offer. You know, we got a offer. We're gonna do a counter and ask for these type of you know, these changes, these stipulations.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. Now you got my mind flowing. Now, okay, so do you do? Do you do like specials like music specials if it's produced, could I bring that to you? Or you just do films a series? What what can one bring to you?
Speaker 4: Well, if you could bring everything for us to take a look at it, right, Obviously the full features are the most sought after things by the broadcasters. But when you're talking about the music productions, right, obviously you have to have their clearances associated with that, right, So you got to make sure all your homework are done. If you got song that somebody else own, well you got to go get clearance right, right, for all of that, you know what I'm saying. So, and we would require all of that. You got to make sure you got e ando insurance arison no missions insurance. This is the insurance is to cover you if somebody assues you because you didn't get total clearance. Are your work or your move too fast? You know what I'm saying. So it's very important, you know, to just check all your blocks out and we'll make sure if you're bringing something to us, first of all, it has to have the production value based on what you say in the budget was right, you know optically. These people are professionals, so they know what something costs or did not cost, you know what I'm saying. So we look at the production value to make sure you got the red cameras or the black magics and so on and so forth, and and the aalent, you know, the acting, the talent. Everything is you know a component of for successful you know, partnership.
Speaker 1: Wow, hey, sergeant major, please tell people how they how they can reach out to you. Is a website?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: What number? How they can reach you? Because I next time I bring you on, We're gonna start this different. We're gonna take some phone calls because you you pushing that information that people need to know because don't nobody know where to go.
Speaker 4: Understand, I'm saying you can find us at pcfimimedia dot com. That's pcfimimedia dot com. I'm on Instagram at official Keith al Craig Official Keith.
Speaker 3: Al Craig All one word.
Speaker 4: I also have a website Keith Craig dot org or r G or you can email me at Keith dot Craig at pcfmimedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, slow that down. That gonna get busy. That that that gonna get busy right now. So because your role, if somebody has projects, don't just be emailing Sergeant may just be emailing them. If you got content that you don't know where to take it, content that you want to some advice on where to distribute it, then Sergeant Major can get you that. Can you give out that email address one more time, Sergeant Major?
Speaker 4: Sure, that's Keith dot Craig at Pcfilmanmedia dot com. That's one word, Pcfilmandmedia dot com. Spell it out one word admia dot com.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know you're whispering to me? Now, you're not only whispering you're talking to me right now because because I'm just telling you man, as a black person, we don't know where to go. We don't know where to go.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 1: We're just being creative. We're making stuff. At least we're getting a professional person telling us this wont work, or this work, or you need to do your homework, do better production, invest more timing. You got the wrong cameras, You need to get your license, you need to get everything, your release on, all your talents. Stuff like that. We don't know. But if you contact him here, get you started in the right direction. Sergeant Major, thank you man for coming to my show. And I want to bring you back, man, if you don't mind, I want to take phone calls so people can ask you questions and let's do it like a class on money making conversations. Master class. Good with that.
Speaker 4: I would I would love to come back. I would love Rashwan. Please, it's been it's been an honor and and and you know, a gift to come on. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. He's the whisperer, y'all, but he talks me loud. Sajan Major, thanks for coming on. Money Making Conversation Master Class. We talked soon my friend. I want to thank everybody for listening to my show mate. I cannot do this show without you. Guys. I get up tired, but when I get to this show man, I am fired up. Talk to you next time on Money Making Conversation Matter Class. This is Rashan McDonald. We be out.
Speaker 7: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is used to buy thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts