Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to Stefan Never told You production of iHeart Radio. And today we're bringing back one of my favorite I had such a good.
Speaker 2: Time doing this one. It's when we did a tale of two holiday superhero movies.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah movies. That was That was a fun one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we did kind of quote non traditional holiday movies and I had never seen Batman Returns.
Speaker 2: I got to watch it. It was great.
Speaker 1: We talked about Iron Man three and bonus Spider Man into the Spider Verse, which is it does fit. It did, But I had such a I had such a fun time doing this one, so please enjoy this classic episode. Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to stuff I've Never told you, Protection of iHeartRadio's House.
Speaker 2: Stuff works.
Speaker 1: It's time for another feminist movie Friday.
Speaker 2: We're gonna make this, I think so.
Speaker 4: Wait. This is because it's coming out on Friday, not that we're watching it on Friday.
Speaker 1: It's however it fits into the lives of whoever's listening Friday. Yes, it should accomplish on Fridays, but if you don't watch it on a Friday, that's totally cool.
Speaker 2: If you don't watch it, ever, I totally cool.
Speaker 3: So you listen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no, no, I want to move movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, see there's a lot of things you could make this work on Friday.
Speaker 4: However, views about you know, what senses we're supposed to be using right now?
Speaker 2: That seems to be a general confusion.
Speaker 4: We have it, it's been general confused.
Speaker 1: So I got to choose the last movie for feminist movie Friday. Yeah, and so this one it was more of a Samantha choice.
Speaker 4: I felt it was a team effort because we were both trying to figure out what movie is holiday, but without being to holiday, right.
Speaker 1: Because, like we talked about in our Emotional Neighbor Holiday as an episode, Samantha's not a big holiday fan. And back when I was sort of semi host less, I did a holiday movie overview with my friend Katie.
Speaker 2: It was mostly Hallmark movies. Yes, hi Katie, she's.
Speaker 1: An expert in those, but we thought we'd tackle some lesser discussed holiday movies today, so that this is more than one film, right, But to be fair, yes, the movie that I chose, it's very much like even though they might not be seeing holiday carols.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of holiday decorations the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so we've built it up here we go. We're talking about Batman returns. Yeah, with a little bit of Ironman three, a little bit and a little bit of Spider Man into the Spider.
Speaker 2: Verse a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would like to say, though, we will be coming back to the craft and the mania suggestions you guys had, we decided to go ahead and start our holiday edition with a little bit of feminist turn Again. I don't like holidays, altho.
Speaker 3: I kind of enjoyed some holiday movies.
Speaker 4: I already said that I like Love Actually and that is an absolute holiday movie.
Speaker 3: But that was just too on the nose for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and a lot of them, as we discussed, I think in the past past episode hard to have much feminist discussion in them unless we're just like, well, this is all a problem here. And surprisingly Batman returns.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to.
Speaker 3: Be said, there's a lot to be said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're surprised, And somehow we wedged a viewing in for both Batman Returns and Spider Man into the Spider Verse on Sunday. Yeah, Oh my goodness, Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 3: And then we had like Harry Potter in there, so it was all night.
Speaker 2: It was a very long time. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, I feel like, uh, I missed an opportunity to have the live interaction commentary that you put on any uh it's.
Speaker 3: Almost as entertaining as the actual movie.
Speaker 4: And so if you guys ever want to treat, if I could ever live stream you watching Spider Man into the Spider Verse, and.
Speaker 3: It will never be a clip of the movie.
Speaker 4: It's just you squealing at the movie the entire time.
Speaker 1: It's oh man, I had about Carvy dots and the line.
Speaker 4: And it was so so. My friend Joe was there and the two of you were just having a back of board and I kept looking at both of you, going, you guys are the worst people to watch movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really couldn't contain my enthusiasm. I appreciate that you let me have that.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, one day we're gonna do it again and I'm gonna live stream it for everyone.
Speaker 2: I was very excited.
Speaker 1: I didn't know we were going to get to watch that. That was kind of a bonus little treat. Yes, so we will return to that at the very end. And if I want to do spoiled Saturdays where we just have a take on something that's really recent, and if you don't want to be spoiled, then.
Speaker 4: Feel like we could talk about The Joker and like what we talked about previously, and then Midsummer.
Speaker 1: I have Yeah, I have so many horror movies, like, oh, please let me talk about this, but okay, today we're talking about Batman Returns, Batmanaturns. Yeah, And for this I did want to do a really quick overview of Catwoman because she's pretty much what we're going to be talking about in terms of this movie, and she's been.
Speaker 2: Around a long long time.
Speaker 1: I think definitely future episode because there is a lot to be said about her, but quickly. She first appeared in nineteen forty, meaning that she's been through the first, second, third, and fourth if you want to call that waves of feminism. She was designed by Jerry Robinson and Bob Kine. Only three women have written for her so far, and she's only ever been drawn by men. If you're wondering, she was one of the first ever female comic book superheroes. In quotes, her name is Selena Kyle and she's a cat burglar in a catsuit. She's often painted as an anti hero and sometimes a villain and sometimes a hero, and this allows her to operate in a space where she's tough to pin down. She's more than Batman's sometimes love interest. Over the years, she's been played by a handful of people, from Michelle Pfeiffer to Halle Berry to Anne Hathaway and I think I was telling you, Samath. I'm pretty sure most of the mainstream women who've played her have all been nominated for oscars.
Speaker 2: Are one oscars?
Speaker 1: So hey, yeah, and yes. In most depictions, she is highly sexualized. Her outfit is similar to what a dominatrix would wear, down to the whip, which is you ually, her weapon of choice. And then there's this quote Bob Kine once said of catwomen, I felt that women were feline creatures and men were more like dogs. While dogs are faithful and friendly, cats are cool, detached, and unreliable. I felt much warmer with dogs around me. Cats are as hard to understand as women are. Men feel more sure of themselves with a male friend.
Speaker 2: Than a woman.
Speaker 1: You always need to keep women at arms length. We don't want anyone taking over our souls, and women have a habit of doing that, So there's a love resentment thing with women. I guess women will feel that I'm being chauvinistic to speak this way, but I do feel that I've had better relationships with male friends than women with women.
Speaker 2: Once throwmances over, somehow, they never remaine my friends.
Speaker 4: Of course not.
Speaker 1: So this is the person who created Catwomen. That might give you some insight into the character. This also might she was created in part to combat talk of homo eroticism between Batman and Robin and to reinforce Batman's heterosexuality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Catwoman was banned from the comics in the fifties because of the comic code that dictated that crime should never be seen to pay, and Catwoman was not acting like how a woman should behave. Oh no, and she didn't return to the nineteen sixties. She was originally played by Julie Newmar in the nineteen sixties TV series with Adam West, who was also then later on played by Eartha kit in the final season of that series, apparently because Julie Numar was in a movie contract. She has different origin stories, so the first being known as the cat who carries the whip and has high stakes thievery Yeah to Stewardess with amnesia that turned to crime that then later assisted Batman in stopping crime to the now though nothing now to what we're talking about. Ninety two version of the Revenge Seeking recis Exceptionist Assistant an assistant to and Hathaway's original take on the high stage thief right.
Speaker 1: And throughout these various incarnations, one thing that has remained steady is that she is sexualized and the power her body has over others. However, since she is catering to the male gaze, it's really hard to say what is power and what is objectification.
Speaker 2: And I have felt this when I've.
Speaker 1: Dressed as her, because I have had a lot of super gross comments made to me, including one that really stands out where this guy said that I quote knew exactly what I was doing by dressing as her.
Speaker 3: It's very rapey.
Speaker 2: It was gross.
Speaker 3: It's a very rapey comment.
Speaker 4: Side note here, according to some in the original series and then when we see it again in both Batman returns in Dark Knight, the love story link between Batman and Catwoman existed, however, when Arthur Kit portrayed the role as Catwoman because she was African American, and because Adam West Is was white, writers and creators felt it was too taboo and not suitable for them to be a on screen romance. So they changed that story to being Batgirl and Batman.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uhat girl. It was also a bat Woman who was introduced when Catwoman was being shot off the stage, who was like.
Speaker 2: See heteronormativity family.
Speaker 1: She was like the mom, the boring mom, and then Batman is the dad Robin.
Speaker 4: And I remember this because I did watch the series. I don't know, I guess I really like that Adam west series growing up, where Batgirl was very the girl next door, yeah, while Catwoman was the bad girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So the plot, yeah, how would you describe this? The plot little of.
Speaker 4: So many things, because you know, this is the beginning where they were having more than one and I hear a villain and two the stories. So Batman returns in the nineteen ninety two Batman's sequel, directed by Tim Burton with a script by Daniel Waters.
Speaker 3: This is the same dude that did the.
Speaker 4: Script for Heathers Yes, which you acknowledged, Yes, I do, And that's going to be another movie.
Speaker 3: I think we need to visit.
Speaker 4: Michael Keaton plays Bruce Wayne Batman, who was doing his best to protect Gotham from a corrupt industrialist named Max Shrek who was played by the wonderful Christopher walkinsh so good, and a crime boss known as the Penguin by the who else could it be? But Danny DeVito, like, I don't know if there's going to be anyone who could replace that. And it takes place at Christmas time a giant tree the opening scene, there's multiple Christmas tree lightings. Yes, that's yes, that's true presence all that, Yes, to bring in all of the crazy clowns. Apparently circuses something to do with it as well as zoos. Okay, so according to the Amazon.
Speaker 2: Description, yeah, let's see how Amazon.
Speaker 4: Batman Kate Crusader is pitted against demented, ravenous Penguin, a full orphaned psychopathic freak, and power hungry capitalist villain Max Shrek. So no, of course not, even though that was really really one of the like that honestly, between her and Danny DeVito and Christopher Walken, I remembered Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what a lot of people seem to say when I tell them, when I would say, we're doing this episode, and then they.
Speaker 2: Would immediately the iconic cat like right.
Speaker 1: And also, I just want to mention my favorite part of this Amazon description is that power is in quotes of course, because he's there's a power plant involves I would get.
Speaker 4: If you've seen it in a Marvel, not a Marvel, a DC movie for sure. Because also the original Batman series had all of the kind of uh puns. Oh oh, so they kind of gave a lineage to that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they they definitely leaned in in this one. I haven't seen, so disclaimer, I've seen all of these era of Batman movies. I've seen all the Christopher Nolan wants, but I saw them all in one very drunken day, so I only remember bits and pieces. But oh, Samantha, and I did rewatch this from for this show, so I have seen that, but I do. I had got a sense that they really leaned hard into those puns, right.
Speaker 4: I think the second one was a little more because the first one was also by Tim Burton, and I feel like you see the same darkness, but the second one seems a little kitchier. But to be fair, I guess you have that origin story of Batman, so the darkness of you know, seeing his parents die and all of that, and him coming out to the community as you know, this vengeful hero. But you do also have the joker of doing a majority of the puns and being somewhat kitchy. As of the second one, I think it's just kind of all happened. And you did mention about the fight that there wasn't many scenes with Keaton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of my favorite parts of the movie.
Speaker 1: Actually, he's in like a fourth of it. He's really not about him in my opinion, especially the first half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely was all the origin stories for.
Speaker 2: Catwoman, Yes, and I love that. So let's talk about Catwoman.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So Michelle Pfeiffer played her Selena Kyle slash Catwoman, and when the movie starts, Selena Kyle is the embodiment of the crazy cat Lady. She's sort of frumpy in her outfit. She has these glasses.
Speaker 2: On which we all know in the eighty that meant well, but it's still I guess means that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people still use that as a thing of like unless you're doing library esque, yeah, type of thing librarian esque is still like the transformative moment, yeah, which is assdiculous. And by the way, Michelle Pfeiffer frumpy is an oxymoron.
Speaker 3: It doesn't it doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she says, I love this. But she gets into her empty apartment, she says, honey, I'm home.
Speaker 2: Oh I forgot I'm not married, right right, And she.
Speaker 1: Is the executive assistant slash secretary of Max Shrek, who is the ultimate sexist boss. He regularly demeans her, He dismisses her, he humiliates her like publicly. When she speaks, she does so as though she doesn't want to be heard, and she voices things in questions. After she what does this, Christoph baal Can say, we haven't housebroken her yet, and he leaves. And then she calls herself a corn dot, herself like, so stupid corn dog, which is.
Speaker 3: A great fight. I'm gonna use that. I'm gonna call everyone a corn dog.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard that insult in a long time, and I really appreciated it, especially coming from Michelle Fifer.
Speaker 2: Very funny.
Speaker 1: And then this is around the time where the Christmas present thing goes wrong and the shell Fifer gets attacked and it's held hostage by a clown. Yes, well, and he has like a taser and Batman saves her and then kind of.
Speaker 4: Just leaves because she's invisible.
Speaker 3: At that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then she has to go back to work late and she discovers that her boss is up to.
Speaker 2: No good, up to no good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's basically she's she's smart enough to be like, wait a minute, your power plant is gonna suck.
Speaker 2: Power from the city. What's going on?
Speaker 1: And then he's like, oh, you're very good at your job, too good perhaps, and he pushes her out a window and uh he yeah, in his mind, what value did she have? A poor, lonely woman. He just pushed her out the window, right, yeah. And this is when she becomes catwoman, I guess, after a bunch of cats walk all over her and one bites her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do see it, see it nibbling on her finger.
Speaker 2: And there's blood involved, and so she I love this. She goes home.
Speaker 1: She looks like a zombie and she's says, honey, I'm ho again. And then she listens to her answering machine and there are three messages on it.
Speaker 2: One from her mother, one from her ex.
Speaker 1: Well basically her boyfriend breaking up with her says his therapist said he doesn't need an appendage anymore. And then a third one, which is from a perfume company that's basically pushing how women's sexuality is their currency, which by the way, as a callback to her comic book roots as a sex worker and how capitalism profits off of that, like the systemic kind of sexualization of gentrification of women. And also it's from her boss's company. It's her boss's department store. So she really transforms.
Speaker 2: So she gets.
Speaker 1: A like black spray paint and starts spray painting her apartment, which by the way is like all pink and really kind of gurlly.
Speaker 4: Well there's stuffed animals discussed. Yeah, it's very much of a young young girl, right, trying to grow up to be a woman.
Speaker 3: It was a transformation to be a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she gets out of the black spray prit spraying things down. She goes into her or closet and pulls out a black jacket and starts kind of frantically sewing it together.
Speaker 2: To make this catsuit.
Speaker 1: And I just want to like reiterate she survived the tempted murder returns home and thinks to herself revenge but first outfit, I love it.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't do that?
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't kick someone in a skirt, which.
Speaker 3: Is what she's been wearing the entire time.
Speaker 1: As part of this transformation, her voice becomes deeper, kind of catlike and purring. She she has this sign, a neon sign that said hello there, but she breaks it so that instead says hell here.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite things. I want that guy.
Speaker 4: It's very pink as well. It's a reminder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sign is pink, and I feel like this scene is a very screw you to the white picket fence kind of perfect life that we've a lot of us been told this is success, this is the only way. So yeah, she becomes overcome with a self destructive desire for revenge, and in this way, she's a great mirror for Bruce Wayne's character. Where he is all about justice, she is all about vengeance.
Speaker 2: He is a member of the wealthiest class. She decidedly is not.
Speaker 1: She is torn between what she should do and what she wants to do, between the tragedy of her past and the potential to make the future into something better, and Batman even says to her at the very end, we're the same split right down the center. And yeah, I do like that. It's her origin story. We see Batman saves her and then she stabs him, which seems to be a direct criticism of the damsel in distress. He offers her a fare tail the ending women have been taught to want, and.
Speaker 2: She is like, oh, I couldn't live with myself and this scratches him in the face.
Speaker 3: Yes, and leaves a hook or a claw, leaves a claw.
Speaker 4: She is not a sex object, or at least she is that and something else. She is scary, unhinged and a total nightmare.
Speaker 3: That's a crazy girl, right.
Speaker 4: Five put a live bird in her mouth for this movie, which you told me about. Yeah, and I was like, oh my gosh, she actually did this. And Penguin, who totally does objectify her, describes her as beauty and the beast in one luscious.
Speaker 3: Christmas gift back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, he's just disgusting in every way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when she they kind of make a pact to work together to take down Batman, and when she refuses his advances because in his mind there was going to be this romantic sexual component to them working together. And when she's she refuses his advances, he says, you.
Speaker 2: Send out all the signals.
Speaker 1: He minks, I had to have you spade, and then he attacks her and cost her one of her nine And also of notes in this conversation, Penguin, does he die he dies? Yeah, he dies when he picks the cute umbrella at the end, the feminine one, which does nothing against the white, heteronormative masculinity of Batman.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And also another line we want to showcase is when Catwoman, one of the first things she does is break into the department store by her boss, right, and these two guards see her and she's in this very sexual sexualized outfit, very sexy, and one of them says, oh, I don't know whether to attack or take her home.
Speaker 2: Or what?
Speaker 1: Maybe says I'm in love anyway, basically should I attack her or try to get with her? And Catwoman says, you men, always confusing your pistols with your privates. Yes, very solitry like too, yes, and then she just blows up the department.
Speaker 2: She doesn't steal jewelry.
Speaker 3: She tells him to leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doesn't Killingboddy yet yeah.
Speaker 1: She that's when she gets the whip, her weapon, and then when Batman attacks her, she says something like.
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 1: I'm a woman, but then immediately strikes back and finishes her thought with as I was saying, I'm a woman and can't be taken for granted. Life's a bitch now, so am I? Hell yeah, yeah, she really leans hard. I felt like into the hysterical label that has so long been used against women. Right, she just went for it. She did you gonna call me that?
Speaker 4: Okayzy cat lady, I'm crazy cat lady exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And I just want to say, talk about some ust unresolved sexual tension.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: I did read a lot of accounts when people who saw this when they were maybe adolescents and were saying that it was a real formative.
Speaker 4: It really was her licking his face along was like uh huh yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, after your Batman kind of offers her this fairy tale ending, she refuses and instead she dies getting her revenge on Shrek.
Speaker 2: But she has one life left. Some maybe she didn't die And do you.
Speaker 4: See spoiler alert, you do see her at the end, do you?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 4: I remember he gets out of the car and looking at the bat sign. Oh is she Yes, you are the one that called it out.
Speaker 2: I was checked out friend, all right.
Speaker 4: So when this movie came out, it was in the middle of the third wave feminism, and some people have interpreted Catwoman's storyline as a feminist awaking and finding identity.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that.
Speaker 4: One of her first acts as Catwoman is rescuing a woman from rape and then braiding that woman for acting like a victim.
Speaker 3: And she's not looking to be a hero.
Speaker 4: She's just enraged and knocking and looking to break the patriarchal system. She's angry, and everyone who participate in it, in her mind, allows to continue it. So as she says, you make it easy, don't you always waiting for some Batman to save you?
Speaker 3: I am Catwoman, hear me roar Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was the first thing she did when she got out.
Speaker 1: And she even says to the potential the victim, the man attacking her, go easy on me.
Speaker 2: It's my first time.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, because he was like what.
Speaker 4: So Also, perhaps she's yelling at her past self who she is saved by Batman. Early on in the movie, when we were talking about with the circus people, and she takes the taser from that attacker and later weaponizes it against her enemies, which she did actually use on that clown as well, but he was already out right, she.
Speaker 1: Uses it at the end, she puts it in her tongue to kisses Christopher walk In, so like she's kind of death. Yeah, she's weaponizing her sexuality, I guess you could read it that way, and then taking this weapon from people who would do her harm and using it against against them.
Speaker 4: Right, because he did try to have the last word and tell her she's fired, she tries to kill her and runs out of bullets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with two of her lives remaining, right.
Speaker 1: Right, And yes, we do have to talk about her outfit. It is perhaps one of the most forfeiting outfits ever to grease the big screen pieces of shiny black leather stretched over her body and stable together as if to represent the fragile nature of her psyche, or that she's barely being whole held together. And the whip, of course, so the whip being more about punishing and pain than about killing.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: There was definitely some misogyny in the way critics wrote about about her, the shell Fifer and the outfit. Here's an example from the Rolling Stone. Off to the side, Michael Keaton aka Bruce Wayne aka Batman was enjoying the hell out of the moment.
Speaker 2: Oh it was tasty.
Speaker 1: Here was Missus two time Oscar Nomini, Missus Actors actor Missus total get it into takes professional held in check by a few pounds of wet second latex in a pair of pointy years.
Speaker 3: That's a weird comment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had to cover Michelle Pfeiffer and baby Botter before she donned the suit, which they then vacuum packed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she just recently talked about it during an interview and about how awful it was and painful it.
Speaker 2: Was for her.
Speaker 4: So Catwomen Outfit's ranked. So many thought pieces on the cat suit. There's different variations. Some see it as embracing the sexual objectification of women and weaponizing it, or maybe rejecting males superhero garb and thus the patriarchy and leaning in hard to the feminine. So Julie Newmar, who I really I watched growing up and I'm not that old, so I was watching reruns.
Speaker 3: Just want to put that out.
Speaker 4: There before they think I'm it's okay.
Speaker 3: To be that old. I'm not that old. I put that out there.
Speaker 4: Julie Numar, who played catwe in her first on screen appearance in the nineteen sixties, wrote in a letter to the Huffing to Post every girl is a catwoman, there will always be a catwoman.
Speaker 3: Catwoman is forever.
Speaker 4: And her costume was perhaps the most tame and the most kitten like. It was a black, sparkly suit reminiscent of a corset around the waist, complete with a gold belt.
Speaker 3: And of course, cattiers Lee Merriweather, who was in the.
Speaker 4: Movie, wore pretty much the same thing when she played her. And then there's Arthur Kit who took over from Newmar. She wore the same thing but adjusted the placement of the necklace, pulling it higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then of course there's Hallie Berry, who played the titular character in Catwoman. She wore a push up bra, leather gloves, whips, tight leather pants and that's pretty much it. Yeah, very dominatrid Dominatrixy. I have not seen this film. I've seen parts of it, including the infamous catnip scene, but I know it's about an addictive beauty cream targeted towards women and play on the facts that all these high beauty stands we placed on women, so we probably would have a lot to say about it. I also know Sharon Stone is the one behind the beauty cream. People are like, don't be telling me share a Stone is not hot, even if she's older.
Speaker 4: Okay, right, Yes, she is beautiful and hot. And also this is the one that won the Razzie. It is considered it was considered one of the worst films. It's pretty bad ever created. But I think also there was all conversation about it being really heavy handed and it was trying way too hard. I mean, one of the main characters was named Affiliate Powers. Yeah, Affiliate Powers. That's come on, y'all, we can do a little better. But I guess it could be I was gonna say it could be that we're just looking at a different woodlens, because all the other ones are fairly heavy handed as well. Whether it's some kind of pun whether some kind of like over the top whatever.
Speaker 3: But it just yeah, it was not a great movie. Made me sad.
Speaker 4: So you've seen it, I've seen parts of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, finish it, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Just neither of us have seen it, but from what we have seen, yeah, yeah, left somewhere to be bless.
Speaker 2: Some things to be desired.
Speaker 1: And then Anne Hathaway's version, this one, she was meant to be the most functional.
Speaker 2: Her outfit was meant to be the most functional.
Speaker 1: It's a black leather stealth suit and the cat ears were the points of her night vision fancy crime goggles.
Speaker 2: Her stilettos were weapons.
Speaker 1: I think I've mentioned on the show before I did used to cosplay her, and sometimes I still do. And my experience was everybody loved that costume, but they also.
Speaker 2: Love telling me that they didn't like Anne Hathaway.
Speaker 3: Oh poor Anne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've talked about that on this show before, how people just don't like Ann Hathaway because they see her as prissy. She's vegan, persnickety, but really it seems to me she just knows what she wants.
Speaker 4: Well, I was gonna say Natalie would would be the same. She's a vegan, all of those things, but she's not as disliked, yeah, seemingly as Anne Hathaway is.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's another episode.
Speaker 2: And then we wanted to end with this for our.
Speaker 1: Discussion of Catwoman, and Glorious Dynam's review of The Dark Knight and Ann Hathaway's performance read I saw The Dark Knight returns last night, and among other things, Catwoman is a feminist superhero with the storylined and transformation of her own plus class consciousness, a girl buddy, equal skills with the Batman equipment, and an apartment of her own an old town, and she gets the guy.
Speaker 4: Yes she does.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's that's kind of our look. Kit Batman returns Catwoman Extra Merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: We do have a little bit more for you, very brief run through.
Speaker 1: But first we have a quick break for word from her sponsor and we're back, Thank you sponsor, And we're back a.
Speaker 2: Little bit with iron Man three. Yes, I'm going to blaze through this.
Speaker 4: That's in a minute that I've seen this one too, and I'm not gonna lie. I have a hard time remembering all.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I got you, I got you, all right. So we open on Blue by Eifel sixty five.
Speaker 2: The year is nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Tony Stark is about to bang a scientist named Maya Hanson played by Rebecca Hall, who has this plan all about regenerating plants or something. He stands up an awkward altra just Killian played by Guy Pearce, and then yes, we skip to the present MCU timeline post Avengers as symbol, and Tony has built a bunch of Iron Man suits and it's Christmas time. One of the first scenes is him trying on his new Iron Man suit to jingle bells, kind of a sassy version of jingle bells, and Tony is clearly distant and struggling with maybe PTSD definitely anxiety attacks post New York City and the Avengers, which is impacting his relationship with his wife, Pepper Potts. I didn't think so, but a lot of places his significant.
Speaker 4: Other okay said they didn't get made until after the first Uh.
Speaker 1: That the wedding was in the Avenger Heart one war. You're right, so significant other, why I put that? Well, I put that originally, but then everywhere I was reading said wife, and I was like, oh really, maybe they got divorced and then got remarried anyway, whatever, Now not so awkward and pretty handsome all Gillian shows up to meet Pepper and is very flirtatious with her. Tony's head of security suspicious stumbles on mysterious plot gets severely injured. At the same time, you have a string of terrorist attacks orchestrayed by a villain known as the Mandarin, and this has the press clamoring after Tony Stark akrd Man, asking him if he's going to do something about it, and angry about what happened to his head of security, Happy Stark challenges the Mandarin on live TV gives away his home address, which I feel like is pretty obvious where he lives, but whatever, I guess it's the challenge.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Uh So, when he.
Speaker 1: Arrives home, Pepper is packing and also he has once again given her a gift that she clearly doesn't want, a huge rabbit custom made. At this point, Maya shows up at the door and is like, hey, I think my boss works for the Mandarin, And then all these missiles start pulling into their house, and Tony is able to save Pepper and Maya hadsen Rebecca Hall's character by putting them in some of his Ironman suits and blasting them out. He manages to escape, but not before his suit takes major damage and is pretty much non functional. When he lands in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: As he's trying to repair.
Speaker 1: A suit, he meets a young boy who promises to help him secure some supplies because everyone thinks Tony is dead.
Speaker 2: And then all right.
Speaker 1: He finds out about this project called Extremists. Extremists that Maya was working on with Killian that experimented on injured soldiers to regenerate lost limbs or other injuries. But it left these soldiers unstable, like I will explode spontaneously on stable.
Speaker 2: Ironman.
Speaker 1: He's like trying to figure out what he's gonna do, how he's gonna save the day. He's on the verge of a panic attack when the kid says, build something.
Speaker 2: You build things, right, just go build something, So he goes back to his roots.
Speaker 1: And as this is happening, Pepper is captured by Maya, who is working for Killian and is used in the extremist experiment. Killian even tells her that she is a trophy when she's strapped into this pod in a sportsbra and type pants. Then Tony is captured after he discovers that the Mandarin is just an English actor pretending to be a terrorist. And this is a big twist in the movie because he's a huge villain in the comics. Tony is He attempts to break out, but then Maya tries to save him when he fails, and then Killian just shoots her instead of listening to her because she's like, you won't be able to solve your problems without me, I'm your scientist, and he just kills her. The President has been captured, and this all culminates in a battle between a superhuman Killian and his Crony's Tony, his pal Iron Patriot played by Don Cheatle, and a bunch of automated Iron suits, with the President and Pepper's lives hanging literally in balance. The President is saved, but Pepper falls into a pit of lava, seemingly to her death.
Speaker 2: Killian is about to kill Tony.
Speaker 1: But then Pepper rises up from the death so hell metaphorically and now is all temporarily superpowered. She does some ask kicking in like two minutes or less. Then they kick ass together. Tony destroys his Iron Man suits and removes his arch reactor.
Speaker 2: Day is saved. It's complicated.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you just really wanted to do a plant line.
Speaker 1: I was like, I did this before I rewatched it and I was like, oh boy, there's so many threads here.
Speaker 4: Alright, so let's talk about action figures.
Speaker 2: Let Sally if you and I had.
Speaker 4: Disgust and you were telling me a lot about this, So as you talked about in the Female Action Figures episode, Rebecca Hall's character was originally meant to be the main villain, but the director was pressured by studio execs that a female villain action figure wouldn't sell. And I'm sure those Guy Pierce action figures left off the shell. Yeah, right, And Marvel Entertainment CEO at the time, Ike Permater said, there was an early draft of Iron Man three where we had an inkling of a problem, which is that we had a female character who was the villain.
Speaker 3: In the draft.
Speaker 4: We had finished the script and we were given no holes barred memos saying that cannot stand. And we've changed our minds because after consulting, we've decided that those toys won't sell as well as it is female. So we had to change the entire scripts because of toy making. Now that's not Figy, that's Marvel Corporate. But now you don't have the problem anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it was really frustrating. I think for a lot of people involved in the film. I know Art down Junior, it was like, no, you got to give it more of a role, and I call it accepted it on kind of a different which.
Speaker 4: Happens a lot unfortunately, and especially two women unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see her action figure episode for more on that.
Speaker 2: And then I also wanted.
Speaker 1: To say an interesting thing about Pepper Potts is while she spends most of her time being damseled in this movie and every other iron Man although she is painted as an extremely business savvy and competent woman. According to some Internet so she kills the most people. She kills more people than iron Man on screen. At least she kills Ironmonger and Killian. Iron Man has only killed Ebony Mah on screen. And then, yeah, I could come back and talk about her character because she's painted as sort of a nag, like she's never happy with Tony because well to the bell draw, Yeah, well that's another thing is a lot of people can't separate her from Gwyneth Paltrow. She is used to make Tony feel jealous by the villain. She does spend most of the movie in distress. She's captured, tortured, and experimented on as bait for Tony. And then there's a lot of talk about fake feminism and how just because she got to kick ass for two minutes or less that it's like execs are pointing to it. Look how feminist, we are, right, but it ignores everything else, which.
Speaker 3: Was kind of the complaint for Endgame.
Speaker 2: Uh is it end game or is it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is wrong with you today?
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of movies.
Speaker 4: So within game where they had that one giant scene, but they're like, hey, look, women, you did job.
Speaker 2: Earn it? It's just so token? Yeah, yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: And then Tony the character as well as I mean he's a womanizer. He says a lot of things in the movie that are not great. There's like a beauty pageant that's not explained. There's all these women in bikinis running around such as things like that, and then random trivia.
Speaker 2: I didn't know this.
Speaker 1: Robert Downey Junior got injured in the middle of filming and was down for the count for six weeks, and since they couldn't hold up production for that long, the creators made up a completely digital version of him for shots that didn't require dialogue our close ups, so you can try to find the fake any Stark in there. But yeah, that was just a quick look at another superhero holiday movie.
Speaker 4: Just a minute, you just want to talk about the MCU.
Speaker 1: I did, I did, And we do have a tiny, tiny bit more about the MCU, But first, one more quickbreak for a word from our sponsor, and we're back. Thank you sponsor, and we're back with a special mention Spider Verse.
Speaker 2: Spider Man into the Spider Verse.
Speaker 4: Oh y'all, I'm gonna I really am gonna live stream I your reaction.
Speaker 1: The joy I feel watching that movie. It's exhilarating. It makes my face hurt.
Speaker 4: It's like you're watching it for the first time. I know, the shock that you go through, the emotion through the whole time.
Speaker 2: And yes, I was.
Speaker 1: This is the movie I chose from movie Crush right, the podcast by our friend Chuck. And eventually he had to he was like, any we've got to stop talking.
Speaker 2: But I haven't told you about the other things. The frame rate. Let me talk more about the frame rate.
Speaker 1: But I did want to mention it because it's one of my favorite movies of all time and it takes place at Christmas. If you remember, Chris Pine's og Spider Man is featured on a holiday album in the movie, and the cast actually recorded several holiday songs that you can listen to and by if you want, including Spidey, It's cold outside, Swing around the Mistletoe, Silent Night, You're welcome, joy to the world that I just saved Spidy the Snowman is beginning to look a lot like a non denominational holiday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the only part that I realized it was holiday was because that song randomly comes on in the security guards room.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a holiday.
Speaker 1: There's snow, there's Christmas trees. If you look, it's diverse, it's gorgeous. It has fleshed out female, badass, vulnerable characters like Spider gwn.
Speaker 2: Penny Parker antme, what a great villain.
Speaker 3: It was a good villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller's goal for the film inspire young people to become heroes, inspire grown ups to help them do it, and remind us all that you don't need to be bitten by radio active spiders.
Speaker 2: Do your part.
Speaker 3: You are powerful, and we are counting on you.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm pointing to Annie right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I want does.
Speaker 1: He say not you necessarily probably better phorkly speaking, No, no, no, no, no, they are counting on you necessarily. But yeah, that's just what we wanted to say about some less traditional holidays.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 4: Are not so christmas y Christmas movies, which is the way I like it. I will tell you once again, I do do a lot of like I said, do do a lot of horror movies. Yeah, during this time because I do not like I'm not a fan of the season. I'm not trying to be a grenchsarily, but you know, you have to cope with things the way you can.
Speaker 3: Cope with it.
Speaker 4: So let us know you're not so Christmas thee Christmas movie recommendation. And I would also consider die Hard, which I know has been a.
Speaker 2: Debate action movie that takes place at Christmas.
Speaker 4: Yes, and all. A lot of the Harry Potters is Christmas movies as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we watched you know, definitely a little bit.
Speaker 4: I feel like the first the first two are the ones that I would consider Christmas.
Speaker 3: Happy Christmas. Harry, Yeah, I think he.
Speaker 1: Does it is Christmas at one point and definitely have part one though, is it? Yeah, when he goes to visit his parents graves, That's.
Speaker 3: Right, That's right.
Speaker 4: So yeah, let us know your recommendations because I would love to know more and to watch more movies that are not Yes, the Netflix movies that I'm seeing don't.
Speaker 3: I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Watch those, yes, And let us know what we should do for our next feminist movie Friday. And also if you have any feminist movie thoughts. I know we moved through those pret quickly, but so if you have any thoughts about them that we missed it, we would love to hear them. You can email us at Stuff Media, Momstuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Instagram at Stuff I've Never Told You and on Twitter at mom Stuff Podcast. Thanks as always to our super producer and Drew Howard. Thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 2: Steph.
Speaker 1: I've Never Told You's a production of iHeart Radios. How Stuff Works. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 4: Jingle Bills, Batman's Bills, We Laid and Eggs No okay,