Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to SOFTWAB Radio Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to soft rep Radio. I am your host, Rad and I have a very cool conversation to have today. But before I get into who my guest is, I want to remind you to continue supporting our merch shop. Right soft rep dot com. Check out the merch store all the branded goods that are in there. There's coffee mugs. It's Christmas time. Pick something up, send it to a loved one and tell them Rad sent you right. Keep the fireplace. And then also, you know we have that book club. It's soft rep dot Com Forward slash book hyphen Club. We're really pushing it. Also, join our email list to get updates and all sorts of tips and tricks on you know, how to stay in the know with soft rep dot com. Now, someone reached out to me named Lily and she's like, Rad, we need to get Ben on and I have Ben Williams today from Exeon Technologies, Who's going to talk to us about autonomous drones the AI world. How you know he's using his company's capabilities to try to solve problems like finding people who are missing. For example, our friend Lily, that is a mutual acquaintance. She lived in Aqua Poco. She's very familiar with the area, and just recently, less than about a month ago from filming this in October time frame, they were hit with a Category four or five hurricane.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, so a serious problem with you know, a huge storm destroyed tons of infrastructure, you know, a place where there was a large tourist base and you know a lot of sort of varied kind of kind of buildings and just utter destruction. Lots of stuff destroyed, and a real problem for search and rescue crews that are going into an area where there was some regulation around you know, resiliency for natural disasters, but probably not as much as might be used to in the United States, for instance, or nor northern or western Europe, that sort of thing. So you're in an area where it's not you know, it's not a really really easy and established process for search and rescue and medical response, disaster response, et cetera. So you have a lot of folks going in. You have international workers, you have domestic and regional workers that are trying to come in and help, but the infrastructure not being in place, the tools not being standardized, so there's a lot of a lot of problems with being able to go in and help, even if the help is available, even if the money or the resources are available. It's hard to operate in those kind of worlds. And you know, of course that there's a lot of similarities to government defense scenarios where you are operating often in areas where you don't have the infrastructure. You have to bring stuff along with you. Similar even to some of the other commercial worlds that we operate in, which are like remote industrial scenarios where you can't depend on super high bandwidth communications, really well established GPS or COMMS networks, you know, dependable roads, all that sort of thing. You kind of have to be a little bit more flexible with the environments.
Speaker 2: So difficult with your company, right, and this is not your first time on Software Radio, so I feel like I have the relationship with you. Just to give you a little background to my listener who may not have saw our previous episode, you know your former Navy service warfare. Tell us a little bit about your Navy background.
Speaker 3: Sure, so I was what's called a service warfare officer, which is an unrestricted line role. I was on a surface ship cruiser at Bunker Hill for my first tour, and this was just just post nine to eleven. So as part of the all the work that went into going into a Rock that time around, ran small boat teams, ran communications division, and a bunch of battle group stuff there as well. Then followed on with nuke school and running the a portion of the reactor plant on an aircraft carrier after that.
Speaker 2: So, no, kid, you were the guy. You were Scottie in the engines. You were like, giving her he's got everything. No kid, I mean, like, I know I've talked to you, but that's pretty cool to rethink about that. You are like, I'm giving her else it's got. It's like, you know, not stern fall. You're like, sir, it's nuclear. It's it a core is that, yeah, as it flooded with water and all that to keep it all probably top secret class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean that's that's part of the nuclei plant, is that you have water that sort of cools the reactor. And you know, there's actually an interesting parallel here is that when I was on on my second deployment with the aircraft carrier, we actually did a disaster response, I think it was for Hurricane Katrina, and so we were anchored not far off of the coast in the Gulf of Mexico, and all of the cooling water that comes into the plant to cool down the reactor and you know, keep all the equipment running kept getting clobbed with debris that was coming down the river from all the wreckage and the floods, and so we had to sort of continuously shut down parts of the those water intakes, clear the debris, and then restart those systems. And you know, for an aircraft carrier used to operating out in the middle of the ocean, you know, in thousands of feet of water, not usually a problem. And so it was a really interesting transition where we were flying you know, twenty four to seven flights helicopters into do resupply and you drop fresh water and food and you know, bring medics and all.
Speaker 2: That kind of stuff into the districts and the wars of like nar Orleans and everything where it was just like completely the levees broke. You know, that was a huge disaster, right and ye Yeah, that's crazy, and you were just right. You were involved in that, you know, a humanitarian effort from the Navy, right, and here we are talking about more humanitarian efforts. I mean you're autonomous, right, so you can literally back then, if you had autonomous capabilities like you do today. Now you can go into Acapulco, or you can map out the area right and try.
Speaker 3: To see Yeah, I mean so this is a great example, right, is like if you're going in fresh to a disaster zone, you might have the old map of the downtown or you know of a facility like a resort or something like that, Right, so you go, I know what it used to look like. But the only thing I know for sure is that it doesn't look like that now because you know, things have collapsed. There's roads that might not be passable. You don't know if any of the running water is still in play, or if it's still running but it's you know, contaminated water now, or is power still going in Are we able to receive any radio or telephone or you know, are there cell networks that are still in play or has power knocked all those out as well?
Speaker 2: Is the major pole still standing? You know that we need to look at that has everything on it, So you can just get in there and just look and say, okay, that's up. Well, then where's the plug unplugged that and try to figure the situation out.
Speaker 3: And so in these context like that, first sort of look at what the what the situation is on the ground is so important because that impacts all of your planning going forward. Right, you can't deploy fresh water or doctors or rescuers or anything unless you get some sense of what's going on. So in this context, if you have autonomous systems that you can just deploy and say, go map whatever you can find, give me the structural model from widar and the visual and infrared cameras that are on there, you can come back and you say, all right, my best guess is you know, Road X is clear enough that we can get rescue vehicles in, but there's a rubble where there used to be these three buildings. We're getting some heat signatures, so maybe there are survivors in this area. You know, focus your efforts in this area first, and then as a result of that you get a good sense for how to operate.
Speaker 2: How does the Mexican government, you know, risk you know, take like they invite you in come take care of this. Is this like something that well are they okay with flying drones in their hood?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a good question, right, Like every every place is different. So even within the US, it gets a little complicated because you have overlapping you know, fiefdoms in a sense. Right, you have each state that can basically get access to federal resources if they declare a disaster and then they get access to federal funding that sort of set aside for it. You have FEMA, right that is, will come in, but only if they're asked, right, They don't just sort of drop in no matter what. So local law enforcement, local disaster response has the first sort of coverage. And the further we get from the US, the more difficult it is to know that you're operating, you know, with the right folks. So, you know, Mexico, there's a lot of familiarity. We do a lot of joint work as a country with Mexico. Obviously it's you know, in neighborho south, so it's a little bit clearer there, but it's still a lot of figuring out how to coordinate successfully. Right, Plus there's a language theyer. You know, Spanish their primary language, English primary language here, lots of overlap, but still there's the challenges in how do you coordinate successfully? And so in a lot of cases, what you have is you get in there and then you get you know, equipment and money and resources in play, and then it's trying to figure out who does what first and coordinating it. So getting information is so much more more important than getting like material in the early steps of.
Speaker 2: That, right, it's almost like, you know, the cart before the horse. You know, everybody wants to go in with the brick and mortar, but it's like, what are you going in with brick and mortar for? Right, So it's like having all that stuff, but you't you might not need it all. You just need to get in there and maybe move the trees and there's the building that the trees have fallen in front of, versus rebuilding. I totally am all for, you know, using it in a healthy, you know, manageable way. I also know that what we're talking about can be possibly taken and you know, turned into opposite.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I've seen terminator now, right, even though I'm forty six, I saw it this year for the first of the Terminator one with my wife and my kids because I grew up in the eighties wanting Rambo more than Schwarzenegger. No offense, right, Okay, if either of them want to come on the show, let me know. But I finally saw a Terminator and I'm like, yeah, you know, you're only as good as the people who program them. Okay, John Conner, Right, So are you John? Are you creating sky neet? Are you not creating sky net?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What is your role in the world here? Can we hear just straight from you because you're the COO, right.
Speaker 3: That's right? Yeah. So, I mean we've we've actually focused very explicitly on a mode of autonomy here that is focused on self contained elements. So we're not trying to sort of broadly network and deploy you know, a an entire sort of net of independent ais here. But these are these are dedicated individual units that are specifically focused on doing exploration or doing information gathering. So we are not in the business of, for instance, delivering kinetics. We don't do that work even with the d D. We focus on on information gathering and trying to remove people from difficult or dangerous environments. That's sort of our charter as a company, and so all of our work is focused around that same kind of thing. Whether it's uh, you know, civil defense, commercial, industrial, you know, search and rescue, all of these things revolve around the same basic idea, which is get as much information as quickly as possible, make sure that you have the right knowledge before you put people in harm's way.
Speaker 2: That's right, recon. I got a friend who's about twenty some years old. He's going through the academy at US Air Force for a pilot, and he's I was like, oh sweet, what are you gonna fly? He's like drones. I was like, of course, it's like, of course, not the A ten, you know, not they have thirty five, any of the configurations, but the drones okay. And I was like, of course, you know, in a flight suit, flight gloves, okay, sitting there with a big gulp, all right, he can literally take a leak. He can get up and go probably take a leak, and soone could take over the controls for him. You can't do that in a real aircraft. You know, all these things that you know are the smallest detail that matters on a mission. Whether you're doing recovery or you know, a defense of your nation, or whatever the case may be. With it, a pilot has to fly that it's right, right, and I call that snow piercer. That human element always has to be involved with the machine, right. And here we are. You're creating something autonomous that has human element where it's programmed right. And for my listener and correct me if I'm wrong. Autonomous is like a boomerang. I could send it out there with its coordinates, and then I could coordinate it to do its job, which is map for twenty four hours, and then it comes back home to me with all the information.
Speaker 3: In general, that's exactly right. So what we focus on is the implementation of what we call level four autonomy, which is you do not have to do the sort of minutia of mission planning. Instead, you give it a high level mission objective. You say, within this bounding box, explore whatever you can come back with the best information model you can find, and then you know it will decide its own safe fight corridors. It will avoid people and objects and wires and rebar and whatever, find its way back home. And then you get all this information to make better decisions.
Speaker 2: With my goodness, it's just going to be like a little hummingbird that's just like moving around all these little things around like, oh, rebar, I don't want that, gotta go over this. It's just going to be like at the same time mapping, Oh, the rebar is right there and exactly all the information right. And so there's there's there's some cool sensors out there that help find people that are like in minds that are collapsed and whatnot is I mean, I can only imagine setting it like a drone into a mine, you know, in this day and age, to be able to see if they could get through, you know, to see what's going on. I don't know, man, that's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we've been used. I'm not allowed to share the exact location, but we we participated in a mind collapse emergency reaction where we overnighted a system to another continent. We got on the phone for thirty minutes and just gave them quick training and then they went underground and they explored a whole section of the mine where a tunnel had collapsed down into the next level down and very dangerous environment. You know, they were they were worried about making any progress towards it. It would have taken probably a week or two sort of progress into the area that had collapsed. But with these kind of systems, they did one sort of test flight up to the area and then one exploration volume and within an hour they had a full model of the whole collapsed area. So they saved you know, probably a week or two of time trying to access that.
Speaker 2: Environment and also lives. You know, you're you're not risking someone happened to low crawl into there to try to like you're although there was nothing that could quite replace the human touch and feel of something, right, of course, but I think that you're ninety nine percent the next best bet.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah. And it makes people more effective too, right if they if they're going into an area, better to have at least a sense for what's going on, you know, know the areas that are definitely dangerous and almost definitely safe, so that you can kind of weigh the differences between everything.
Speaker 2: It's basically armor. Rightly, you have a night and shining armor who goes into battle and he still has all these open areas to be stabbed, but he feels like he's going to do it all okay, And so that's kind of what the drone gives its operator and its team is like, here's your armor on. Feel free to go ahead and be value and go ahead with the drone, and then you can follow in behind it, you know, to take care of him. D It's like it's armor. Yeah, it's like mental armor, like an EOD robot for the robot guy. You know, he's like, hey, I got a robot. I'm going to look inside this room real quick. I mean, well, knowledge is safety in this context, right, And you know, I'm not saying that robots are going to fight the wars, but I think the current president did say he's not afraid of a gunshot starting a war. It's a keystroke, yeah, you know, you know he's like, that's ah, if everybody sit behind these keystrokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and I mean that that is like, you know, in the grand scheme of robotics in sort of conflict like that is that is a critical element that you know, all of the countries in the world are going to have to really figure out how they want to interact there, right, because it's one layer removed. When you don't have people interacting directly, you reduce that sort of empathic response of like, this is a person right that I'm going against, versus I see a thing on a screen, and that's like layers removed from the impact.
Speaker 2: Like let's think about like I think it's World War one, World War two. You know, they had a quiet Christmas in the trenches because they all were like singing to each other because they all had moms and dads at some point in their life that love them and taught them how to love Christmas and love each other. And here they are fight each other. I don't see you know, T one thousand and T two thousand singing in harmony together. It's just going to be complete, like wasteland of like you know, until one is gone. And then you wanted me to build a perfect world, right, yeah, get them trying get them. You're like, wait, but I'm the creator. I don't know if you get my references, but I hope so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I watched both of those, Oh.
Speaker 2: Man, you know so true though it's like, hey, you made me right, yeah, to be the best, right, it's gonna have to get you out of the way now though, right right? Sorry, holy cal so with with Exian technologies, you know, is that something that you would Is there a consumer market for that, like a regular consumer versus just like such a we need it for search and rescue. Is there something that's going to be you know, applicable to the daily lives of us here is just regular civilians without it or with it?
Speaker 3: Probably not in the short run. I mean, our systems are more sort of industrial scale, industrial usage, right they're not. I mean, you can buy them, I guess in theory as a consumer, but most people don't have you know, one hundred thousand dollars laying around to make those purchases. And so most of the time we are useful for industrial scale enterprises that see huge value from increased speed to decision making, removing people from dangerous environments, and being able to digitize the sort of physical industry. And so consumer side really isn't isn't an area we've put any time or effort into As a result of that, In theory, you probably could. I mean, you see folks like Skidio that gave that a run and then sort of gave it up recently. You know, they focused instead on purely enterprise and defense, and that probably is because there's not enough demand in the market. Plus paired with the fact that djip has just been building very high quality products.
Speaker 2: Which they have, which they have, and they have and they have, and they've been doing it for a while now, so they have like a little skin in the game. And you know, I'm still waiting for this thing that was supposed to come out during the covid TikTok social media thing. It's like buy it now where you hook it onto your arm and then it follows you while you snowboard, right, any type of those like say you're rock climbing, right, and it's just like going to go up with you or repelling whatever whatever. It just is like a pet above you, following you. Right, Yep, I want one. Don't remember what it is, but you know, that's what I was thinking. Maybe there's something in the consumer market, you know, for that type of a thing. But yeah, you know, Holy County, it's a huge industry now that I think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is well, And I think what you're going to see is more and more of the physical industries adopting elements here, right, Like we got our start in the drone space, but we do ground robotics as well, and we see a large uptick in you know, factory floors and manufacturing and logistics and warehousing, all of these areas where you know there's a there's a viable business running there, but it's a physical business, right and it's hard to get digital information about even things that you own, like you're warehouses, still hard to digitize. And so as you get better and better at automating and making autonomous the systems that gather that data, all of a sudden it goes from being an expensive one off to something where you have a couple dozen robots gathering information all the time, and all of a sudden, you've got a full, up to date digital representation of your whole physical built environment. And that changes the game in terms of the decisions you can make, the tools you use, and even how you staff that place. Like it makes you so much more efficient. You probably don't have any less people, but they're much more productive as individuals.
Speaker 2: And maybe someone doesn't have to do that dangerous aspect of the situation anymore because you figured out a way to do it without it. But they're still like overseeing the project. They haven't lost their job. You know, you're just incorporating this into their their payroll, so that they feel like you're feeding them pizza. You feed your true they're going to fight for you. That kind of attitude. It's like you put a little bit into the staff's needs and they're gonna be like, hey man, why would I go anywhere else? This guy they supply us with the right tools. We have the information that comes to help us. The guys across the street are still like, you know, using a pic in an ass to do this. It's like, now, oh, I had a thought here. It was kind of kooky, but I don't I don't remember it. I thought I thinking about like what about like hold on, it's all about these drones because there's so many of them. It's like, I don't even know, bro, there's like photography, there's I got. I got guys that are like doing movies with drones, big, huge, dooty drones. Man, oh Ai, here's my question about AI to you. You know, podcasts and things like that are starting to go AI, and you know they're trying to say, hey, what if we had you know, somebody speak on modern terms, but they're from like, you know, the eighteen hundreds, and you get this like classy voice talking about like black Mount data. Right, You're like, okay, hey Bill, the kids telling about black Hawk down AI. It's all AI. I get. How entertaining that is?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: However, when does AI talking to AI only become just AI talking to AI and all information is just computer generated because it can't it's not getting any am I making sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're well, let me say, if I'm summarizing, correction, you're saying, at a certain point when you don't have humans in that conversation anymore and it's just two ais sort of talking to each other, then you may get further and further off the reservation where it becomes less relevant for people as consumers or parts.
Speaker 2: Corrects.
Speaker 3: Maybe right. Yeah, So it is a really good question, and that actually is one of the one of the underlying questions that a lot of the the new like LM sort of GPT style AI companies are really trying to tackle. Now, is you know, how do you how do you accelerate the process of training those machine learning models quickly and cost effectively without having to train it on real world data, which is by itself very imperfect, Like you know, all the all the chatbots that are trained on you know, Twitter data sets or you know, they end up just being like terrible humans, like equivalents, right, because they're taking the worst impulses of people on social media and going, so this is a person exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like create this image of what this is and then they go and pull all that data from what it's been fed, right, right, And if AI is only feeding AI, you know, and that human interaction starts to go because people do want to you know, use it and bring it in and you know, they can have you know, a major news outlet's probably use chat GPT to write articles, you know, and this AI is just mashing it all up. And if all AI is getting it, I just think that the interaction of the human element always has the snow piercer Have you ever seen that movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, well so, I mean I think the biggest worry in my view is where you have state independent actors like you know, sort of the equivalent of terror organizations. But folks that are that are saying, I don't care what the impacts are, I'm just trying to affect this negative outcome for a group. And you know, this was popularized in the last election where there was a lot of paid disinformation from North Korea, Russia, you know whatever, fill in the blank. But as you get to America. Yeah, and as you get further into that world, then the AI models accelerate the ability for what the Intelligence Committee would call an asymmetric threat. Right, it's a single individual that kind of large impact by driving these these sort of negative conversations, and so AI and especially LMS have a huge outsize impact there. And that that's what worries me the most is you know, there's no regulation for that, and there couldn't be because they are outside of that that sort of category. So then what happens with that? And unless we can figure out a way to sort of bypass that or to evaluate or you know, get in front of that, you know, we as citizens and individuals are in a bad place to kind of evaluate all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't even think this conversation that you and I are having is really happening. Yeah, you know, this is something that if you're listening right now to our show and you're hearing stuff that nobody's really talking about around the dinner table, okay, and because nobody's really thinking like, oh, this is happening, but it is yep, very much. So you're going to like conferences and you're seeing like you know, uh, vendors who are just probably just flourishing and trying to like say, by our thing, by our thing. You need this thing, you know, this little screw to go into all your AI stuff. You need this little bolt, you know, because it's space age stuff. Whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very wild.
Speaker 2: It is wild, it is and yeah, that's that's the consumer market show. Do you guys go to cees? Is that what you guys do? How do you may? I?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we will be a SEES this year. We are more in the sort of market specific survey and geospatial and mining sort of industrial shows where you have other vendors and customers that are looking for very specific sort of sets of solutions and in that world, you know, those are those are great conversations to have because it's often people who have very specific problems and we can listen to them and that's you know, the fundamental product building, right is like listen, learn understand what the what their existing process is, what's bad about it, and how we might be able to help them out. And so those conversations that having the sort of centralized is great. That's a big opportunity for us and helps us you know, guide product development and you know, hopefully we sell systems as a result of that as well. But it all is a link to better understanding of the problems people are facing in their in their operating scenario.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, Like maybe how can you come together to solve problems versus cause problems?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of percent. No, I love that. I love your I'm sure you have think tanks and you're involved in all sorts of stuff that is just outside the box. Typically we try six sigma this bro Okay, it's like you better six sigma this autonomous drone man, it's like word with math, math with words. Let me figure this out. Blades, props, camera together, Yes, exactly right. Wow, that's really neat dude. Now, well, now, as a young man growing up before you went in the Navy, did you think you were going to be working in such futuristic stuff or were you like I'm going to be, you know, a full time.
Speaker 3: Navy Yeah, I mean I probably I I liked the categories. I don't know that I really thought I would be able to do them all for a bit. I probably was like, you know, in my rebellion phase, I probably was like, I want to go live in the woods and write angry poetry or something. But you know, then, you know, we all go through our own that. But you know, later on I was like, you know, really really dig on the idea of service. I was. I was a big fan of Robert Heinland, and he wrote a particular book called Starship Troopers, which was made into sort of this sort of odd ball, over the top movie, but he actually wrote that book around the concept of service and citizenship and you know, whether you deserve citizenship through birthright or through service, which is a really really interesting philosophical question and one that is incredibly contentious all over us included, and my my take on it was basically that you know, I, you know, white male, born in New England, and you know, at a time when I've got a lot going for me, so you know, I figured, you know, given that, and I should be doing service first and then thinking about what what can I do for me or for my family or whatever. So that was kind of my background for going the military in the first place. But you know, as a result of that, I had focused on like, let me learn and understand and you know, get a sense for how the country works. And like, I'm sure there's a lot wrong with it, but however we got here, it's not bad. Let me see how I can participate in improving it and making it better. So, you know, that was kind of my starting point, the fact that I get to work on all this cool stuff. Now, you know, full thumbs up, I'm a huge fan, love it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I keep, you know, trying to press and go after interesting projects and interesting categories, you know, trying to help people make things better. But yeah, and pretty.
Speaker 2: Much how many years you do in the navy, I did, like about.
Speaker 3: Six years I did. I did RTC, so I owed two tours. I did a little bit more than that. I went to new school and did that stuff. But yeah, so and.
Speaker 2: Then the transition. Right, a lot of our listeners are veterans or are mb in and they're like, hey, you know the transition. We hear it all the time. How do I transition from military to civilian life? Well, you were a civilian and you transition to the militar terry. So first of all, you're successful at it, so you could do it again, and so what was it that made you transition into this field?
Speaker 3: May I Yeah, So I think the way that I kind of viewed coming out of the military was, you know, I had this sense that I wanted to have an impact and you know, drive the conversation and the technologies forward. But there were such huge gaps in my experience. Like you know, junior officer in the Navy, you learn a lot, you get to do a lot of things, but you can also fill a ship with what I didn't know and what I thought I knew and really didn't And you know, coming out of that, I didn't know anything about finance. You know, I knew operations, I knew you know, some form of leadership I had. I had to learn to lead people quickly and under duress. But you know, I didn't have any idea how the finances worked. I didn't have any idea about a lot of the sort of the business theory behind things that I sort of guessed at or had like sort of a street level knowledge of. And so going in and saying, Okay, maybe that's the next thing to do, is do business development, sales, finance, Just get how does it work? What's the underpinning there? Right? And then being able to apply leadership and management and operations experience to that then gives you a pretty good baseline for you know, learning the next thing, learning a new industry, learning a new jargon, you know, et cetera. And I think that honestly, I do a lot of mentorship for people transitioning out of the military. I've been a coach and mentor for over a decade doing that stuff, and by far the biggest problem people have is trying to describe how their experience in the military is relevant to different scenarios. And you know, the easiest you know trap people fall into, especially for like a guy that was a riflement or something, is like, well, what kind of yeah, like what kind of job am I going to have that's going to pay me to like carry a gun still? And you're like, sure, serve security or whatever, right, But like it's kind of missing the point because even as isn't even as a junior rifleman, ten percent of your job is like combat specific, right, Most of it is you know organization, you know, doing like small management maintenance, you know the in the Navy it's called you know, preventative maintenance systems like PMS. And like that is, you know, the day to day of every sale or junior or senior, and like most of that stuff translates to the civilian world, but you've got to learn how to break it down into little building blocks so that you're going out of a forty hour week, you know, three hours was shooting the rest of it relevant and so helping people to sort of break that stuff down has been a huge, huge piece of how I've been doing mentorship in that category. And you know, a lot of it helps people to sort of just transition into yours using different terminology, different phrases, you know, recognizing that all of the the three letter summaries you have for things don't apply. And it's probably going to get confusing because there's civilian or corporate jargon versions of those same.
Speaker 2: Three A PMS, yeah, exactly uses the PMS, and they're gonna be like, what God to hr You're like, no, I'm just trying to do cofeitive maintenance exaclutions. Yeah, so so you gotta I get that. I get that.
Speaker 3: So it's a really interesting that.
Speaker 2: Transition, yeah, to get there, you know, and if somebody is in the military and they're transitioning what's something that X and Technologies might be looking for out of them? You know, are you looking for all bachelor's masters guys? Is there somebody out there that could can the chef apply? Is there a you know position, you know, because he could translate?
Speaker 3: That's right. So we've got We've had a bunch of transitioning folks come across. We've had an Air Force pilot, we had a Navy seal, We've had I think a Marine Corps rifleman. We had a like an IT guy, so, you know, we it depends on the role you're hiring for, of course, Like we have some production technicians that don't require a college degree. We bring folks in and we help them sort of train up, and it's a fairly technical role. You don't need you know, a four your degree for it. And so a lot of times that structure from being in the military is great for coming in and doing especially operational things where you're like, all right, here's the process, and they go, got it. I can nail that, you know, day two, and then you begin to extract, like who are the ones that can think on their feet and can you know, operate with more vague guidance? And you know, high level objectives and then they self define their paths and you know, you start to figure out who can who can promote easily, and who you know is better served to go to another place or whatever. And you know we try and help people figure that out.
Speaker 2: That's awesome And I love the aspect of like, you know, bringing someone over who maybe worked let's say the ship's armory k where they have to check in the guns all day and all the equipment they have to check it out. You know, you're like, now, how am I going to transition this into life? It's like bro inventory man management number one, you know, like, you know, it doesn't have to be cleaning at all. You could be like, oh, I know how to keep inventory a direct? How many businesses have inventory? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely all of them?
Speaker 2: You know, you know, you know so I mean there's always something out there, right, You just got to think outside how can I apply this to this? When people ask me, hey, rad, are you hiring at your airsoft shop? And I'm like, I never say no. Yeah, I never say no to the fourteen the twelve year old who's asking can you hire me? I'm like, I won't say no because maybe that kid knows how to edit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Total.
Speaker 2: So if they send me a resume and it looks good and it's got something on there, yeah, you know, we might reach out to you and say, hey, you want to do some side gigs or whatever or But if you apply to the job and you are applying to be a manager of a department store and you put down that you know you can snipe real well, you got it. You gotta you gotta, you gotta massage that for the person reading that resume. Okay, you got to say, oh, I can pay attention to detail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta hit exactly. You got to pull apart the common building blocks and say, you know, have I got all the exact experience? No, but all of the building blocks overlapped, and I can wear on the other twenty.
Speaker 2: P exactly exactly. And if you give me a shot, I'll show you I can do it on the job, no problem. Yeah exactly. So if you're a veteran out there and you're looking to transition, just just do it. Just get it, get going, just apply, apply yourself, you know, and it's okay to fail. That's where the word success comes from, right, So every time I go to the gym. I know I'm going to go in there and fail because I'm going to push myself to failure, so that hopefully the success of a longer heart rate or a better heart and no diabetes and you know all the other things come along with some weight, you know, nothing like. And also I've just been boxing, you know, that's really what I've really found to be a mental cleanser. And so not only am I, you know, throwing the gloves at the at the gym, I'm I'm clearing my head and I'm paying one hundred bucks a month to do this. Like where can you get a psychiatrist for that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: The coach comes over, he's like yeah, rad three four three three four three. You're like, yes, coach, Yes, coach. It's just yes, coach, you know. And that kind of environment, you know, where there's like that camaraderie and everybody's in there. She'd be a better healthy you, is all I'm trying to say. You know, I'm not perfect. I can only strive for perfection, and this is what striving for perfection looks like. Okay, oh see, now I'm glad Lily introduced us again to talk about this cause you know, we're I really do care about Aca Poco and all the people there. I really want that to be, you know, kind of brought to the forefront, because nobody's really talking about how hard Mexico did get hit. And it is such a thing that you know, she's she's been already, you know, relating back and forth through emails with me so much. I just wanted to just embarrass her a little more, lily, throw her name out there again. So yes, just to make her smile when she watches this.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to know that folks like yourself, Ben are out there trying to do the right thing with these new modern technologies that you know are gonna just keep going and going and going and going. And you're the building blocks of this. You guys go to these conventions and see everything else that's going to be happening. So, I mean, holy cow, man, I can't wait for the movie you're gonna write Fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: I'll get that ghost right.
Speaker 2: And moving, Oh seriously, right, yeah, bro, Because the things that you're dealing with, I mean, you could bring that into a film. I don't know whether you're filming the movie with it or it's about what you're doing. Yeah, ar to life, dude. Let me okay, now, now I ask my folks that come on the show if they've had any type of an instance and your navy, Now, what kind of a ship were you on when you first went out or what have you ever had? Here's my question, have you ever had that? I'm going to Davy Jones's locker moment because of the mother Nature's like you're screwed today.
Speaker 3: We had. I had a few times where it was pretty dicey. I led small boat boarding teams doing VBSS all right. At the time it was called VBSS. I think it's called something different now, but it was a board search and seize yep, and so visit. One of the one of the ships we boarded was, I want to say it was a Russian flagged ship that had maybe been smuggling something. And the master on board was like a complete caricature, like you could not have created a more made from movie caricature of like a Russian captain. It was just like holding a half empty bottle.
Speaker 2: He was like, what do you want, just.
Speaker 3: Like like a Russian mobster who decided to capped in a ship like half empty bottle of vodkill, like waving a pistol around like we we really thought out of just you know, drunkenness, he was going to start shooting. And so we went and secured the ship. We got all the crew and they were they were totally fine. They were like, yeah, understood, you know what's going on here. So they were chilling down in the salon, but you know, we we were sort of having this face off with this guy. And it was me and the assistant boarding officer, who, you know, thank god, it was like a super experienced senior enlisted chief petty officer that you know, had a lot of experience here. And so me twenty two year old, you know, junior officer or twenty three I guess at the time, but you know, I was, I think, pretty decent at the job, but nowhere near the experience that you know, the senior list the chief had, and he he and I both sort of like we're able to talk this guy down. But it was a pretty wild experience. So I think that's probably the closest I've ever come to to someone like, you know, eyes eyes in my eyes, like something might go here.
Speaker 2: Holy yeah, yeah, now that is that is Yeah, you're just like and thank goodness for your senior listed chief.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he talked the guy down like see chief, Yeah, you know I wouldn't would.
Speaker 2: The officer respects the chief. Chief.
Speaker 3: I can't do anything about the chiefs, come.
Speaker 2: On anything without the chiefs. I'm just putting that out there. And I saw them back there with their mugs that are stained at the black top. Don't ever watch that mug. Never watched their mug.
Speaker 3: No sitting in the goat locker going.
Speaker 2: Damn right, that's right. It's the chiefs, every single one of me. Chiefs. Would you exit out of the navy ass you went in as an ensign? Is that how it starts out?
Speaker 3: I came in as an ensign, I left asobu tenants and three and then uh, you know, made my transition from there.
Speaker 2: So and have you almost ever thunk.
Speaker 3: We had? We were in some pretty heavy, heavy seas off of San Francisco actually where this is actually a terrible story. You know, we weren't really really in danger, but it was the worst I've ever felt at sea where it was a new moon, so no visual horizon, just total darkness, and we were going directly into pretty high seas it's like at twenty foot maybe twenty five foot swells, so like, and I was on a cruiser, so it was a small enough ship that you know, you go up over top of that wave and you crest and then the bottom drops out. And I was on the midwatch from ten ten pm to two am, and of course they'd serve Mongolian barbecue that night, so everyone was just throwing up NonStop. But you know, you're you, you go up, you ride the crest the wave, no visual horizon, You're just waiting for it, and then bottom drops out and you literally are in free fall for you know, one or two seconds. You know, then you slam hit the deck because it it was like a fifteen to twenty foot drop. And yeah, everyone just like hanging on and you know, the ships are built for that, so it's not like you're in real danger. But that felt pretty wild. And that was I've definitely never felt worse like seasick than I have at that time, and that was.
Speaker 2: Just that was a shitty respect for mother nature? Is that your you respect to see? Yeah, one hundred percent? Hunt, Yeah, holy coy. Yeah, I was talking to a salty dog to the day and I was interviewing him and he said that, you know, he was in a four day typhoon off the coast of Nam on a destroyer and he was about to go down. Yeah, but they lived, he said. Out of everybody on the crew, only three were eating. Yeah, I can say that. Yeah, that's goadly what we're talking about. You know, Holy cow, holy cow. Yeah, the Navy. You know, I decided on the Air Force. My dad was a Green Beret and former Navy himself. Right, But now that I think about the Navy today as a forty five year old, forty six year old dad, I'm like, yeah, that sounds just like, you know, like you know, you're playing with the ocean. Dude. It's like these ships seem so big when they're reported, but once you're out into the vastness of the ocean, you're just like a toothpick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, it.
Speaker 2: Is. It is. It's amazing the technology to float on water and dive down with ballats on submarines, and just the Navy is bad ass. I'm just gonna say that right now. United States Navy and all you sailors are awesome. Okay. I just want to shout out to that Wow, that was right inside my heart. I feel it all too. Oh man, jeez, cause I only get to see what like Tom Hanks shows us on the movies, or like some kind of crazy like you know top ten, you know sea freight, who's crossing into the water. But bro if I can only imagine though. You know, you're a captain with your mug and you're just like, just send it, sir, five thousand men on board Roger. You'll see it. Turn into it. You'll see turn into it. Let's sir, just do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some stalthy guys there that are on the run the ships.
Speaker 2: There is there is. Did you ever have what they call a polywog moment?
Speaker 3: Yep? So I did the shell back ceremony when we crossed the equator and got my got my card and everything. So it was a it was an.
Speaker 2: Interesting baby that they had to kiss or is that what I heard? Is that what I hear you that? Or so I was? Or were you holding your coffee mug just like looking good boys?
Speaker 3: No, I got shell acted pretty well. It was I think you know are at that point when it was this must have been two thousand and two maybe, so it was after my first deployment, but like still just post nine to eleven. So I think at that point it was very much like they had started removing some of the worst parts of the ceremony, but it was still not very comfortable, and so it's still some some pain and discomfort involved, but it wasn't It wasn't probably what you know, you would have gone through in like the Vietnam era, where I think you really just got.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, yeah, that's what I've heard. That's why. That's where I heard the story from. Man. He's like, there was no weight management. Yeah, so they had the biggest guy get greased up on his belly and they all had to like kiss his belly with the grease from the the takeoff of the aircraft carrier, the stop put thing. Holy cow, dude, the navy man, that's why it's though, that's what it is. You know, I would probably have so much tattoos, Dude, I'd be like, I've been across the equator, I've returned home fifteen times. I have all these birds on me.
Speaker 3: Well, most most of the guys can.
Speaker 2: Did you get tatted up with anything?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I came from but I got usually a senior officer would intervene. But do you really think that's a good idea. I'm like yes, and they're like, no, I get back on the ship. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be like my dad talking to me. Are you sure you want to do that? You sure about that? You're sure about that? No? Yeah, Well, listen, I've had you for almost just about an hour of our time, and you've been a really wonderful guest to come back, and I'm glad that we were able to talk about, you know, the positive services that you guys are providing to people who need it, like in Acopoco, right and in other warrant torn areas, and I'm sure you know, to wind it down, I want to know, do you feel that you'll use your stuff in the greater stuff that's going on, like over in Gaza. Is that something that's you know, it's a good question.
Speaker 3: I think there's still a lot of people figuring out how and where to use systems on the battlefield. In general, the US and Allies have been a little slower to use very AI driven stuff. It's been a lot of adoption on the Russian side, the Turkish side, Chinese side, and so I don't really know what the role is for like hours specifically, I think you're going to see a lot of AI driven technologies enter the battlefield shortly driven by a lot of the you know, the war innovation that's happening, especially around Ukraine Russia right now. I think you know, you're seeing shield AI and you're seeing ANDERIL, and you're seeing Skydio sort of playing in those worlds as well. From those are like a cheaper, cheaper system side, and I mean ANDERIL is using witering munitions and that sort of thing, like you know, actual basically drones with explosives on them. And so I think there's a lot of different categories that are going to start being utilized. I think where where you're going to see technologies like ours the most is on logistics and i SR and sort of getting a better sense for what's happening on the battlefield and you know, trying to make sure that we're not putting people into the most dangerous parts and you know, being more effective when we.
Speaker 2: And i SR correctly. It's international search and rescue right in.
Speaker 3: This case an example, so in this case it's intelligence surveillance reconnaissance and so it's the idea of trying to get a better sense of the battlefield from an intel perspective.
Speaker 2: All right, cool, I'm glad you corrected me. I can always be right. That's for you, Dad, who sits on the mantle right over there on the fireplace on every one of these shows, looking over my shoulder. Yeah, that's right, that's right. Okay. Well, you know the best place to go and check out more about Xian Technologies is xian technologies dot com. You know, and if you want to learn more or try to put yourself out there and set a resume because you have what it takes to work with Ben and his crew, then do that and he'll let you know. And do you have anything you want to say in the last parting words before I close out the show.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate the time here like you, like you alluded to before you know, it's it's a it's a huge shame about the the stuff that happened down in Acapoco, and unfortunately it won't be the last of you know, major disasters that happened. So you know, if you if you're if you are interested in want to help in those kind of scenarios, go for the aid organizations. They are going to be better at coordinating getting this stuff in in the right way, in the right order. With coordination, then you know, sort of a grassroots thing a lot of times. So you know, that would be my recommendation. Try and find the right the right orgs that are that are practiced at getting things in there, that.
Speaker 2: Are already ready to go, Like they've already grassrooted themselves, and they're just like they need you to supply the that extra manpower to them versus you trying to start from the ground up. You know, I get that. Hey, well, what a wonderful show. It's been a pleasure. I want to give a shout out to Lily for arranging everything. And I want to thank Ben Williams, former Navy officer, a surface warfare humanitarian and just a really nice, cool dude that just wants to talk about cool stuff like polywog. Okay, I just want to say thanks on behalf of brand Web, former Navy seal from the Navy. Give him a shout out. Go buy his book for the holidays, any of them. Go look up Brandon Webb and uh. I'm also on all the audioble for most of the books, so I'm the voice of Finn, go check out Chief Finn and uh I want to say the bookstore. Don't forget that we have soft Rep, dot Com, Forward Slash Book hyphen Club and the merch and On behalf of Ben Williams and Lily. This is rad say in peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Self Rep Radio