Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: This is Talk Easy. I'm standing Forgoso.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show today.
Speaker 2: I'm joined by writer, journalist, and editor David Remnick. Remnick has been at the helm of The New Yorker since nineteen ninety eight and a staff writer since nineteen ninety two. Before then, he was a reporter at the Washington Post under the tutelage of the late Great Ben Bradley. His work as a foreign correspondent in Russia, chronicling the end of the Soviet Empire, would result in the Pollit surprise winning book Lenin's Tomb in nineteen ninety four. In the twenty five years since taking over The New Yorker, Remnik has continued to write. He's published books on Muhammad Ali, Barack Obama, and most recently, musicians with a certain kind of creative longevity. That book, titled Holding the Note, includes profiles of Paul McCartney, Patty Smith, and Leonard Cohen. We discuss his love of music, his early days in the newsroom, and most importantly, the state of journalism in Act two in three of this episode, but first in Act one, we start with his latest piece from the Middle East, a region he's reported on since the nineteen nineties. This new article in The New Yorker, titled in the Cities of Killing, begins with a pretty strong admission. The only way to tell this story, he writes, is to try to tell it truthfully and to know that you will fail. It's an admission that I'm going to make right here as well. Since the war began on October seventh, I've watched, as I suspect many of you, have a stream of reports chronicling an amount of suffering that's almost too much to bear. At the time of recording this, more than eighteen thousand Palestinians have been killed. The Palestinian Territory's Health Ministry reports that another forty six thousand have been wounded. US State officials project that nearly two thirds of the victims from Israeli bombings are women and children. Then there are the three hundred and thirty nine educational facilities, the twenty six hospitals, the fifty six health care facilities, the eighty eight mosques, and the three churches that have been decimated. By the time you hear this intro on Sunday morning or whenever you are listening to this, those numbers will no longer be accurate. I've seen reports from overcrowded hospitals, doctors that can't possibly keep apace with the brutality. Children screaming out for their parents who can't be found, parents screaming out for their children that cannot be found. I've seen scores of Palestinian journalists documenting the horrors in Gaza, many of whom have lost their lives doing so. I've also watched the brutal footage from the attack on the seventh, where twelve hundred Israelis and towns in the south along the breach perimeter of Gaza were murdered. Officials have called the assault the worst loss of Jewish lives in a single day since the Holocaust. And then you have the two hundred and forty men, women and children that were taken hostage, some of whom, as is now being reported, were beaten, abused, and sexually assaulted. I've seen the people beneath the Western Wall of Jerusalem holding candle light vigils for those being held hostage. Some have stood in protest of the failures of the IDF and Prime Minister Benjamin Nettan Yahoo. There are more stories on both sides of the Gaza strip that will be told in the coming months and years, stories of families Israeli and Palestinian alike that have endured an amount of pain that can never be ameliorated, irreparable damage that no amount of words or thoughts and prayers could possibly fix. To watch and witness all this is to have your heart broken daily, sometimes hourly, and yet to keep your eyes open from a distance is in and of itself a privilege. It's also a modest ask that is being made from those suffering at the hands of a war most did not seek out that many of whom were born into. As David reported, at the onset of the war, killing was the common condition, and as we enter day seventy of this madness, that condition remains. It's a condition that I personally believe should not be and whether that's controversial or political is not for me to say. I don't think it is. It's a condition that should not be. And so today on the show, we did our very best to talk to David about the state of play in the Middle East, what he witnessed, what he reported on, and how he imagines this all may resolve. I realize this is a thorny challenging subject to discuss on a podcast, to discuss at your dinner table, to discuss at the bar wherever you have been talking about it with your friends and family. For the sake of this episode, my questions were focused on his latest piece from October, but if you'd like to read any of the articles David has published from the region over the past thirty years, I've included those links on our website at talk easypod dot com. I would encourage you to read those in addition to listening to this episode, especially his damning profile of Prime Minister net and Yahoo from nineteen ninety eight. Wherever you stand in this moment, whatever your politics may be, for what it's worth, the aim of this episode was to be useful, and so with that, I hope you and yours are safe in this moment, and I hope you find some value in this conversation. I know I did. This is David Remnick. David Remnick, Hey, pleasure to meet good to meet you. I was sitting outside with my notes and the first thing you said to me was, oh God, you're prepared.
Speaker 1: You know, I said that there are all sorts of non preparing nightmares one of them is my understanding is Michael besch Lost, the historian, once showed up to be interviewed at a radio station and he had written a book about the U two incident. And he sits down with the host and the host says, no, you too, What was Bono really like? And then he says, well, I wrote a book about the U two incident, at which point the guy literally takes his index finger and shuts off the recorder with a big thunk, and that was the end of the interview.
Speaker 2: You know, I did see Adam Gopnik in the bathroom. What's it like to work with them?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen Adam Gotnik in the office, and I don't know how long. Therefore, I know you're lying.
Speaker 2: Someone who looks exactly like, yeah, really, it's an honor to be here and to do this with you.
Speaker 1: It's great to see you.
Speaker 2: I think it's to have to start with the latest piece that you published. It was called in the Cities of Killing. You wrote it in the aftermath of the attacks carried out by Hamas on October seventh, claiming twelve hundred Israeli lives. Since that date, Israel has countered with what you've called colossal force with countless airstrikes on Gaza, killing roughly sixteen thousand Palestinians at the time of recording. Now, you've reported in the Middle East in the past, but this latest trip to Israel was different. You said, quote, I've been to many places and seen many things, and yet I've never been anywhere where the grief suffering in the rage are more profound. So I want to start here. How are you holding that grief, that suffering in that rage, and how does it inform how you tell this story now two months removed from the horrendous assault on October seventh.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd have to admit to you something is that I don't know what degree the reporter or a journalist aspect of my being is integrated with the person part. I sometimes think they are disintegrated or apart, fractured, no different. I've been doing this for an awfully long time, and admittedly in the last couple of decades, most of it is in an office, being the editor of The New Yorker. But I do get out, and before that I certainly was out all the time. So when I see horrible things, I don't only it's a terrible admission to make. In some way, I don't only experience it the way that you would necessarily because I can't. I have a job to do, which is to remember things, to write things down, to think about them, to ask questions, to resist being lied to, to understand when that's happening, and even in some instances, to seduce information, to elicit information. These are not ordinary day to day human activities. They're journalistic ones. So your concentration is on that. But at the same time you're seeing something horrible, thinking something horrible, imagining something horrible, and so your humanity, your humanness, is also present in your brain. It's a very strange way to be. And so the experience of standing next to a mass grave in Chechnya, open mass grave, or as in this recent trip, being at a funeral of a family of five, every single member of the family was killed in a kibbutz on October seventh, you're experiencing it in at least two ways. One is as a journalist and one is as a human being. And how those are integrated or disintegrated or I couldn't begin to understand.
Speaker 2: Now that you've written the piece. In terms of the journalist side of the equation, how do you see the story in this moment?
Speaker 1: So I wrote this piece called The Cities of Killing, and I also wrote a couple of dispatches shorter dispatches online while I was there. I was trying to get at at various moments in the piece what I think is too rare in the public discourse here and elsewhere about what happened. In other words, what's very hard for human beings to do is accommodate numerous and conflicting realities and truths in their brain. So you have some people who say, look, you know, here's the thing that happened on October seventh. Here are the details of its horrors, and it leads to certain political conclusions. Then there are other people who say, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, October seventh happened, but there's a context for it, and it was more like an anti colonial jail break. And the real story here is both what preceded it and what followed, and both of those points of view presupposes very differing politics. Right. And you see it on campuses, you see it in petitions, you see it even in certain kinds of journalism and accounts and I was trying to do this other thing, which is to try to look away from nothing, when it's not a moral relativism but a kind of display of complexity. And the complexity includes, but is not limited to, a day October seventh, of not just escape from Gaza, but a binge of ecstatic, horrific killing, hostage taking, sexual violence, which only now is being accommodated to a sense of reality to a lot of people, the likes of which Israel has never known in its history in a single day and shattered an Israeli sense of security like no other event I can think of, including the Young Kipur war in October of nineteen seventy three. That is true, at the same time the war has killed now in Gaza. Will know the numbers when we know the numbers, but an estimated sixteen thousand people, at least half of whom, half of whom are children in adolescents, and the vast majority of whom are civilians, many of whom either resent, hate, despise, or are indifferent to Ramas. So those are two realities, and there's a million more, and their contradictory, and they're hard to reconcile and they're either historical or they have to do with this week or last week. I'm a believer in free speech, and at the same time, when I watch the testimony of three and I'm no fan of alistafunk, but when I watch three university presidents trip over themselves in their testimony. In Congress's to.
Speaker 3: Ms McGill at Penn, does calling for the genocide of Jews violate Pen's rules or code of conduct? Yes?
Speaker 1: Or no.
Speaker 4: If the speech turns into conduct, it can be harassment.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am asking specifically calling for the genocide of Jews. Does that constitute bullying harassment?
Speaker 4: If it is directed and severer pervasive, it is harassment.
Speaker 3: So the answer is yes.
Speaker 4: It is a context dependent decision, congresswoman.
Speaker 3: It's a context dependent decision. That's your testimony today, calling for the genocide of Jews is, depending upon the context, that is not bullying or harassment. This is the easiest question to answer. Yes, Miss McGill. So is your testimony that you will not answer Yes.
Speaker 4: If it is thees or no. If the speech becomes conduct it can be harassment.
Speaker 3: Yes, conduct meaning committing the act of genocide. The speech is not harassment. This is unacceptab miss Micguil. I'm going to give you one more opportunity for the world to see your answer. Does calling for the genocide of Jews violate pens Code of Conduct when it comes to bullying and harassment? Yes? Or no?
Speaker 4: It can be harassment.
Speaker 3: The answer is yes.
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 2: What does a man deal? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't done the reporting because I believe that's my function here, not to guess and to guess off.
Speaker 2: That's David the reporter. Yeah, that's who I am, David the human. Though I'm not a philosopher. You know what, I have limited skills. I've seen you do everything from reporting the Middle East to playing on stage with Patti Smith. I would say you have plenty of skills for the latter.
Speaker 1: You just needed a little nerve, a shot of Scotch in four chords.
Speaker 2: Exactly what I did right before I walked in here. Can we focus on one reality? Yeah? I want. I want to sort of narrow the focus here. In recent weeks, reports have come out about the clear security failures information that the Idea have had that they did not properly make sense of. It is a generous way, probably the most generous way I can describe it. But the attack obviously is by Hamas, and I want to sit with the story of a man you meant over there, mister Brodich. Is that how I say, Bradich, Abichai Brodich, what happened to him and his family on the seventh.
Speaker 1: Abigai Brotich is a man who's married and has three young children and lives in Kibotz called kar Asa Asa is a Hebrew from Gaza. In the Kibutz, like all the keybouods seem they were involved in, this was about as far from Gaza as we are right now from midtowm and end really really close. And one morning there was a lot of commotion. On the morning of the seventh, there was a lot of commotion at kfar Asa, and Avichaibrodych went out to see what was happening. He went out armed to see if he could if there was an emergency. Family was in the house. It's still early morning, and when he got back from the house, his family were gone, three kids, very young, and his wife were all gone. And it was not clear for a long time if they were dead, because there were corpses everywhere in the keyboutz. Other keyboots seem in villages and notoriously at this kind of ray of this music festival down down the road and places were torch. It was hellish. It was hellish. And then it became clear that Brodich's family had been taken hostage and almost certainly brought back to Gaza. Okay, the days pass no news from this family, and brought it. In his grief, in his desperation, in his not knowing what the hell to do and to whom to speak, took a full looked like a collapsible chair and his dog and sat down at about five o'clock in the morning outside of what's called the Curia, the defense equivalent of the Pentagon in downtown Tel Aviv, by the way, the same place where the big demonstration has been going on week after week after week for the last practically a year in protest of this kind of judicial reform on the part of the right wing government. He sat down, and I don't know if he went on Twitter but or forgive me x, but he certainly put it on other social media feeds, and more and more people as a day passed came around and people carrying signs free the hostages, bring them home today. And I went down there, you know, staying with friends, just north of Tel Aviv, and got there by late morning and had a long conversation with Brodich, and he was very, very careful. This is a guy who's a farmer who are now studying to be a nurse. These are not settlers. This is not you know, machine gun toting hilltop settlers in the West Bank. I don't want to characterize everybody involved in this on the attack with the people of the left, peace nicks, people whose idealism drove them to live in these tiny keyboot scene which are kind of atavistic at this point. It's not a growing part of Israel and live this kind of slightly bucolic either agrarian or light industrial lives where you know everybody and the Kyboitz is maybe a thousand people or fifteen hundred people, and suddenly these are hell on earth, hell on Earth, ten percent, fifteen percent of it given Kybootz dead, dozens of people taken away and by armed from US people and brought to Ganza, and thankfully in that period that one week, true and prisoner exchange Avichreibrodisch's family was freed, but before.
Speaker 2: They were freed, he said to you quote it was overkilled by Hamas. I don't think they thought this would go that far. At least I want to believe that the religion is peaceful. We are going the wrong way. I assume in this case means nen Yahoo and cuts right.
Speaker 1: We should be.
Speaker 2: Sending humanitarian aid to women, children and the elderly. Hamas believes that women, children and the elderly should not be attacked. But something on their side went very wrong. That passage. You say he knew that he was going to be read, but it is astounding to me, either the compassion he genuinely felt or the compassion that perhaps was calculated knowing that it would be read. Do you believe him when he says I believe that he thinks the religion is peaceful. Do you believe that?
Speaker 1: I think I would agree with him in that religion is innately peaceful. Hamas is not. I also think he was frightened to death. Frightened to death, and why wouldn't.
Speaker 2: You be His children, the youngest one is the age of four.
Speaker 1: Correct, and and his wife are separated from him and being held hostage in a tunnel somewhere in Gaza by Hamas fighters. And I think what he said was very measured at the time. You'll notice he did not tell me that he went out he was part of the Kibwitz, you know, defense little guard and carried a gun because he didn't he didn't want Ramas to know that. I know that for a fact because his brother told me that that day and I left it out of the piece. Why to do that, because he asked me to, and I understood why. You know, when somebody says something is off the record, it's off the record. And his reason was damn good. He did not want Hamas to get it in its head that he was somehow a military figure and well, they might as well kill the family. He was terrified and it only became public knowledge after so I think he was speaking.
Speaker 2: As a father separated his three kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the news could have been totally other. And for people who still have family members and friends as hostages, of course, their first priority is that they're not military strategists. They want their sister back, they want their brother back, they want their child back, they want their wife or their husband back, and everything else is secondary. And at the same time, when I read Mosababuta, the Palestinian poet who I've been talking to endlessly, his priorities, the first thing on his mind, of course, are family members. He's seen people killed, he's seen just these are people in extremists, the likes of which you and I are privileged not to have to live day to day.
Speaker 2: And have the privilege to discuss in a way that is open and complicated and true and perfect. You spoke to one Islamic scholar who said, Homas is an idea embedded in the national tapestry. Quote. No matter what, we will end up where we started, with the Palestinians and the Israelis living here together and needing to find a proper formula given the entrenchment we've discussed on each side of that equation. Not to mention the twelve hundred Israelis and the sixteen thousand Palestinians dead, What do you see as actually being inside of a proper formula.
Speaker 1: Let me say something that's what I think is both true and banal, but completely insufficient.
Speaker 2: Quite a preface.
Speaker 1: Neither the Palestinians nor the Israelis are going anywhere period sooner or later, And this is a process that's been going on, not just for a little while, but for a century essentially, Sooner or later there has to be some kind of political arrangement that accommodates that fact and allows people to live decent, secure lives. And we know all the many, many formulas that have been proposed and that have failed and that have been rejected. We know the moments of optimism, and then we know the moments and that we're living through now of the complete opposite. But I don't see how that fact changes, because yes, the Israelis may at some point find a way to declare military victory over Hamas, sure, and Hamas will never declare it's surrendered, because what does that mean. Because if there's even if there are just twenty Hamas fighters left, they'll recruit more. We know this pattern. It's not unique to Hamas. And what has to happen is that psychologies have to change, politics have to change, because what's not going to change is geography. This is a very small patch of lands. It's very hard for people who's never been there to accommodate. You know, we live in this enormous country and it's in our borders or with Canada and Mexico. This is a geography. Sorry to be banal about this, but this is a geography at the scale of New Jersey in which the West Bank and East Jerusalem and Gaza are part of that geography, and then it's surrounded by the region. It's surrounded by Lebanon to the north, Syria, to the east, Egypt and so on and so forth. There has been progress over the years that shouldn't be forgotten. Israel has a peace treaty with however, it's a cold peace with Egypt, with Jordan. That's important. That wasn't always the case. And in our theme of holding contradictory truths in our mind that people who have made those peace treaties often end up debt like anwar. Sadat Andyskak Rabin and I think it's also a truth that Yasser Arafat was not uninfluenced by the fact that if he had accepted, however imperfect, hud Barack's offer of twenty three years ago, he might have ended up dead too. Because there are always radicals and extremists and rejectionists in all camps. Amas is in that camp, it'smar Ben Gvir and other extreme right wing tragically ministers as well as settlers are in that camp, and the influence of the settlers in recent years has been so profound that there are commentators who say that the settlers have annexed Israel in a political sense. But again, it may take five years, it may take twenty, it may take one hundred, and let it come sooner than later. But the essential fact is there are two peoples in this very small plot of land that's supercharged by history and religion and violence.
Speaker 2: When you say may come, what does that mean? May come?
Speaker 5: What? What?
Speaker 2: Because it hasn't yet right, but what would that look like?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I doubt it will look like, And that is a one state solution. I think, if anything, what's happened in the last six weeks tells us that these are not two peoples who are going to are able to live in peace and comedy. There are people in the debate, and they vary by the way, who think that the only just solution is a one state solution, in which the land that we now think of is the state of Israel and the occupied territories all together in Gaza would be one state and whoever wins elections wins elections, and this is just not going to happen. It would be, you know, Yugoslavia all over again. Two state solution, which now sounds rather sentimental and airy, and god, we tried that and at this point also seems hard to imagine. But you got a better idea. There's just a limit on now how that can be accomplished.
Speaker 2: You've apologized three times for being banal.
Speaker 1: It's early days. We'll get to more. I apologize because so for anybody who knows this subject, I could write about Russia, which is the other foreign thing that I've written about, ametic. I could write about Russia till the cows come home, and the reaction I get is very gratifying. People are in the main. There's obviously Russian experts who have all kinds of bones to pick, but.
Speaker 2: We don't know a lot about the subject. Yeah, thank you for informing it, or.
Speaker 1: Russians and they're far away and so on.
Speaker 2: So this is a very different subject. This is an intimate subject, right. My question is your apology actually a gesture to how challenging it is to talk about this, because whether it's in the press or on social media or across college campuses. As you alluded to, the division and rhetoric seems to escalate with each day. I have friends who've been to each other's wedding it won't talk to you, will not talk to each other anymore. And some of them are listening to.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, and they won't talk to you, and were me, Well, they.
Speaker 2: Probably would like to talk to David Remnick, but that's the different story. But I keep thinking back on that line from Paul Newman and cool hand Luke. We have a failure to communicate. What we have here is a failure to communicating, not always. And part of communicating, as I understand it, as I'm trying to do now with you, is to sometimes fail, is to fall short trying to understand the person across from you, the ideas and beliefs they hold. Dear, and I'm wondering, given your experience on the matter, given the identities that you comme at this story with, as you said, a Jewish man, a reporter, an American, what about this issue in this specific moment in history makes communicating seem all but impossible to do.
Speaker 1: There are a number of things because people do bring their identities and either their learning or their ignorance or somewhere in between to the table.
Speaker 2: I like to bring all the ragons.
Speaker 1: YEA, exactly one thing you left out is age too. When I was nine or ten years old, we were just twenty years after the Holocaust. Israel was this, you know, state that had just won a war in six days, and it was filled with sense of self and victory that would translated to New Jersey Hebrew schools and just as all over the world, Israel had done a heroic thing. And of course the nineteen sixty seven victory would turn out to be in many ways of pyrrhic victory because the territories it seized or won that in that war would turn out to be, as we say in academia, deeply problematic. So if you're of my generation, you remember that distinctly, and that's part of your what's in your brain, and you're calculus about thinking about this, even though you've obviously taken on many other things. If you were my kid's age, were you know you're now thirty, I thought you were gonna put it on me. Yeah, you grew up with nothing, but nett niehu, you grew up with you know there are people that are your age, Jewish or non who find Israel simply an embarrassment. This fuels the gap of understanding and communication that you're talking about, and you see it on campus. So again, I don't want to make cartoons of anybody. But if you if you grew up in a world you went to an academia that you were, your frame of reference for this was you saw it as a part of simply as you know, postcolonialism, or you saw it in the same frame as France and Algeria. That's one way of looking at the world. And if you see it as if you were brought up in a very different way, you saw it as an absolutely necessary refuge for a despised people over thousands of years, who had been all but wiped out in the Second World War, that's a very different frame.
Speaker 2: But the president of Harvard, yeah, and the other folks you alluded to go in front of Congress, they're more of your generation than mine. Yes, yeah, I guess so yeah, So tell me about the fear, the fear and the competition.
Speaker 1: I don't think three.
Speaker 2: People have an anti Semitic bone in their body.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: But the fear to talk about.
Speaker 1: But I think they they're trying to juggle. However, I'll advised a number of imperatives which have to do with First Amendment rights, academic freedom, the legality of stupid speech as well as intelligent speech, and then the moral imperative calling things what they are and in this case anti Semitism. I've often thought, I don't want to give away any editorial secrets, but I've had a nitrual meeting lately and I said, we should do a piece headline the worst job in the world, and it might be university president. So I have some sympathy for it. I think they handled themselves at best awkward, legalistic and the way that came off as weirdly amoral, and they were, and they're being questioned by somebody in dad faith. Yeah, at least Stephonic. I'm not going to sit here and excuse or write. At least Stepphonic in the way she was looking for exactly what she got, which was a kind of way that say she could bash the elitist college presidents from But it's a struggle. But you said, at best it is that, At worst it is what morally tone deaf that's even putting a nice gloss on it.
Speaker 2: In an article the website Ran called the Anguished Fallout from a pro Palestenian letter at Harvard. Just to button this up, there's a passage that reads, the backlash exemplified a tendency to conflate criticism of Israel with anti Semitism, an advocacy for Palestinian liberation with support for terror. Holding multiple truths, not making cartoons out of each other, I would say, is probably the main goal of doing this podcast. So I want to try to do that with you. We talked about all the identities that you have that you brought to this story. I'd like to go back to nineteen sixty four. You're six years old. There's a preschool you're supposed to go to, but they're not ready for you yet.
Speaker 1: Do you know this?
Speaker 2: And you find yourself in a van with some older Jewish boys heading to yeshiva, and it's from them in that van that you first learn about the Beatles and most importantly Bob Dylan. Two years later, you stumble upon the album The Best of sixty six. What happens? God, I don't know where you scraped this up, but it's pretty accurate when you're laughing about the boys in the van description.
Speaker 1: Just you know, here's the thing. You get old enough and your past feels like somebody else. It just feels like a story that you've told or told yourself or other people. And it may be accurate, or it's roughly accurate, or you have no idea anymore, and it's a story.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to do our best to tell it together.
Speaker 1: I think it's roughly accurate. I'm of that generation who in you know, of kindergarten age or thereabouts. The bells were on ed Sullivan and it was incredibly exciting, and then something weird happened. So when I around the same time, my mother was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and in those days there wasn't any medicine to make you better or alleviate the symptoms. I have friends now who have MS and you wouldn't know, you know, they go, some of them in worse shape, but a lot of people you're okay. And I have to think that my mother, she'd been born, you know, a generation or two later, might have been okay. But she it was scary. It was really scary, and I think it scared that she shit out of my father. They were young people, you know, there you were your age and with the little kids, and I think she thought she was going to die pretty soon. She lived at be eighty five. You know, you make things happen in your life, everybody's lives. And I became a kid that became obsessed with radio and music and things that I could amuse myself with. And I remember distinctly the process of buying music. You had the radio, and I wasn't cool enough quite yet for FM radio, so I listening to you know, AM W ABC and Cousin Brucey and all that stuff. But once in a blue blue moon, my father would take me to a department store called EJ. Corvette's where I could buy an album. And I didn't know what to get. There were so many of them, and I wanted them all, so, like an idiot, I bought a compilation. So there'd be one song by Paul Revere and the Race, and there'd be one song by Chad and Jeremy, and there was one song by somebody that I heard about but I didn't know much about, called Bob Dylan. And on the album was a song called I Want You from the Blonde on Blonde album, and I Want You as this kind of phantasmagoric love song that I can barely make sense of now, and I certainly could make no sense of in any real way when I was eight years old. But it was transporting, and it was like something that you just entered another universe and you wanted more of it.
Speaker 5: Take a size, the lonesome, the brand of Drazz, the Silva saxophones, say ah, produce you, the cracked bills and washed out hans lit into my fats was gone.
Speaker 2: But it's not that way.
Speaker 4: I was going to use you. How are you?
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: I want you? And because it was radio, it wasn't YouTube filled with interviews with so and so, and everything was immediately available on Spotify. It came to you in this different, commodified way. You'd have to buy it, or you'd have to be lucky enough to have the radio on at the absolute right time to hear visions of Johannah and even more, you know. And then I had to work backwards and hear the earlier albums and all the rest, and I became a fanatic about Bob Dylan. People know this about me. But the depths of the fanaticism are six miles past embarrassing, and yet it meant everything to me. It still means a lot to me, and it gave me nothing less than the greater cultural world. Because Bob Dylan would mention, you know, later when I was capable of Tsla ts Eliot, and I'd go buy the Wastelander or something. I didn't understand it, but owning it felt cool. Being confused by it felt important. I think that's the way most people enter complicated culture. They're confused by it and tantalized by it. It has an erotic pull, and it has a psychological and a pleasure pull. And Bob Dyla was rock and roll, so I had a pleasure pool too.
Speaker 2: Growing up in Hillsdale, New Jersey. You said quote, I was hungry for worlds that I faintly knew were out there, shimmering, faintly somewhere past the horizon of my seeing. That description sounds a lot like the kind of shimmering mirage and the great Gatspace looking across oz was across the river, That's right. Was there a sense of ambition in your house that was passed down from your parents?
Speaker 1: No, No, ambition was utterly conventional. My parents were the children of immigrants, my grandparents, well they were immigrants and not but you know that, you know the world. They came from Eastern European jewelry, the lucky ones.
Speaker 2: They didn't want you to aspire, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But in the most conventional way possible, doctor or a lawyer, because because it meant you were your own boss. That was very important. The world of business was not in our rorld, certainly the world of the arts. My mother was an art teacher, but she got sick very young and had to had to quit her job and be home, and that was a struggle. It was modest. My parents wanted me to do well and study hard and be a doctor and go, you know, further than them and be a good boy. And how can I possibly blame them?
Speaker 2: You mentioned your mother, she was diagnosed with MS when you were about five years old. When you go to Princeton, it's around that time that your father is diagnosed with Parkinson's. That came later that in his early fifties.
Speaker 1: It's unclear. My father's a dentist. He had a very small practice. We were what middle class the American sense. Parents bought their house for eleven thousand dollars and we went to decent public schools. Nothing great, but decent. And it became evident, maybe when I was in college, that my father was developing a tremor in his hands. And here's what you don't want as a dentist, with a big treffor in his hands. But he tried to conceal it. And in early Parkinson's if you take the proper medicine, it could.
Speaker 2: You called it? You said, it would have been a Buster Keaton film if it wasn't your own life.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't Buster Keaton as a Parkinsonian dentist. That's a dark joke, but there it is. And he wouldn't know what to do because like, what would we live on? What would he do? So he faked it for a while, but finally he couldn't anymore, obviously, and by the time I came home from Moscow, when I was about thirty one or two, they were both in bed shape.
Speaker 2: So that's what I want to ask you about, which is you're in college at Princeton, there are medical troubles at home. You had grand ambitions to be an artist. You went to Paris and bust on trains, that they paid you money to get away from them because he weren't great at it. That's not true, that's what you said. I just couldn't That's what I said.
Speaker 1: Went on the.
Speaker 2: Train to two pm. You made enough money to pay for the hotels. Yeah, the movie and the drinks that night easy. But eventually you come back and when you take John McPhee's class, I'm curious about settling in journalism. Did you feel a sense of obligation to pursue a career that at least had some clearer pathway to stability?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was that because of your parents?
Speaker 1: Absolutely accurate? I thought, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Looked at me like, I don't know where you're going with this.
Speaker 1: You landed, You landed the plane. And when you're that age, to be a writer and an artist means only one thing. You're a novelist, or if you're really financially foolish, a poet. But I did have this intimation that I'd need to take care of my parents.
Speaker 2: I was the older son one of two. Was that daunting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I was a nineteen year old kid. How do you make you make these decisions? You know, half in the dark anyway. So here was my grand ambition. I thought I would go and retain my coolness and become a writer for the Village Voice. I thought that would put me in great financial inspector.
Speaker 2: Seven eleven days exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just you know, I was an idiot when it was concerned this. But what happened was I got an internship at the Washington Post. Did okay, They said we can't hire you right away because the other paper in town is was folded at the Washington Star. So go away. I taught in Japan, bummed around Southeast Asia and India on you know, two dollars a day, came back to another internship, and landed at the Washington Post. That's the curve of things. But you know, still I was making eighteen thousand dollars a year. Everything was falling apart at home, and I look back on it with terrible guilt because I'm living in Washington and day to day I didn't think about it. You know, maybe i'd send as a small check.
Speaker 2: I just didn't think about what helping.
Speaker 1: Of course I helped, but I wish I had helped even more. And you know, I was raised to be a good son. Here's the thing I hear about people's parents and their travails. Yes, my parents were disabled, but I think if there's a key to anything with me, it almost sounds like bragging, because it almost sounds rare. I never doubted one minute of my parents' love for you and my brother. Yes, and they didn't understand what I wanted to do. They thought it was weird. Why were you majoring in comparative literature? What are you comparing? So there was that divide. But I never thought they were over and they were overbearing and needy, and.
Speaker 2: For good reason.
Speaker 1: They were falling apart. They were falling apart. So they were all kinds of crises until they were gone. But much later in life I could deal with them financially. I could, you know, install somebody to take care of them, and people to whom I'm everlastingly grateful and still talk to a lot.
Speaker 2: But then why the guilt?
Speaker 1: Because you can't make it better. You can't make the ms go away, you can't make the Parkinson's go away. You can't comfort them in the middle of the night when they have Parkinsonian hallucinations. You can't pick them off off the floor when they fall down. They are your children. Now, God knows, I'm not unique in that situation, but usually it only comes when people are very old. I have a child. I'm not closed about this. I have three kids, the youngest has profound autism, my daughter Natasha, And it's really hard. And the psychological difficulty there is that even though I'm sitting here with you today and I'm healthy and knock on wood, and my wife is healthy, but I've read in the newspaper that I'm not going to live forever. And my daughter is, you know, twenty five years old, she's going to live longer. So that arizon is a different psychological impingement. So you're coming to somebody who's had a lot of unbelievable luck in his life, professionally and maritally and otherwise. But then there's this other things. That's right, that's the human condition. If you're lucky, If you're lucky.
Speaker 2: It sounds like we're holding to competing truce yep.
Speaker 1: As a matter of day to day life. Yeah, they're not competing. They're side by side. Yeah, how'd you get so wise?
Speaker 2: So? Yeah, reading you didn't hurt. Yeah, that's the last nice thing I'll say all.
Speaker 1: Right, that's a deal. That's a deal.
Speaker 2: We'll right back with our guest, David Rapnick. You've had many strokes of luck, that's true. Let's talk about the first time you are summoned into the office of Ben Bradley, the famous legendary editor of the Washington Post, presided over Watergate and all the rest. Like you said, you landed the job in the early eighties. You started on the night police beat, you moved to the style staff formerly in August of nineteen eighty four feature section. But I want to talk about the summer of eighty six when you're writing the profile of the late senator from New York.
Speaker 1: Daniel Patrick went in.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was the first story that got you brought into his office. Why did Bradley call you in?
Speaker 1: So if you've seen all the presidents, man, you begin to see how charismaic and sexy this was. Jason Robards did an unbelievable job of almost conquering it. Tom Hanks, God love him. In the paper plays a different person in a way. And Bradley had a glass just as I do here. And he's not walls, it's glass and you can see him. And by that time he's a legend, and he's like the great orco Whil in his tank.
Speaker 2: Is that how you describe herself.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a little porky fish. And you'd see him and his feet were on the desk, and he's wearing these fantastic Turnbull and Asser's shirts with the white collars and the broad stripes, and he's just the guy is exquisite and it's expired. It's inspiring. It's like Napoleon his back there or something like that, but taller. He doesn't have to fight anymore. And I'm right working on this profile. Daniel Patrick moynihan, who was a kind of intellectual senator from the state of New York, who had been a Harvard professor and quirky in ways that would be unbelievably unfamiliar now. He wrote a book a year. In additionally quite an effective senator in many ways. He also had the habit of enjoying liquid refreshments alcohol. Alcohol. I asked him, because why beat around the bush? I said to moynihan, what do you drink? Because you know people talk about it and how much? And he said the phone. I don't know if I'm getting this because Unfortunately, you have the books over there, not me. But Moynhan is not in there, I don't think. But moyn Ahan is. I recall enjoyed a drink or two at lunch, if not more. Then at dinner, he and his wife, as I recall, would split what he called a bottle or two of claret. I did not know what the word claret meant. And then it was either preceded by some whiskeys and certainly followed by cognac.
Speaker 2: After two to three cocktails, then the bottle of one as okay, I don't know about you, my friend, but I sticked at tequila only. Actually, this is my that's.
Speaker 1: The one thing I cannot drink. It is like killer hangover. I did it once and.
Speaker 2: No headache for me. Horrible, No sugar, It's horrible.
Speaker 1: I was much more a fan.
Speaker 2: Of the other kind of enjoyment weed job. So you're brought into the office because of his drinking.
Speaker 1: So I'm called into the office and Bradley's feet are up in the on the desk, and all I see are the soles of his shoes. And he said, I got this, I got this call from moyn a hand and he said, you're asking about his drinking, and I am fucking terrified. I've been summoned to Bradley's office and now I'm in trouble. And of course Bradley knows moini Han socially and blah blah blah. And I said, yes, I'm writing this full and fair profile, and it just seems to be part of his day to day bearing And not for one instance do I suggest that he's incapacitated or unable to do his work. In fact, he writes a book a year, and he's a very affected senator. But I do think it's Bertin and I certainly asked him, yes I did, and then I made a huge mistake. And then I said, so, don't worry. And his feet, the soles of his feet part like a v and through it I see this face, this rock hard, preposterously wasp handsome face with the hair slicked back in this beautiful salt and pepper, and he said, what the fuck me, worry, get the fuck out of here. And that was the end of the discussion. We allowed to curse on this show, I suppose we.
Speaker 2: Can absolutely this isn't the New York Radio.
Speaker 1: Hour exactly, and I'm sent off and I write my piece, and all that material is in there in one way I know that I can't remember, but it certainly was in the air.
Speaker 2: And I never.
Speaker 1: Heard word one from Bradley. And the lesson there was He's allowed to ask if I've got a good reason, that's the end of the discussion. And I'll never be able to imitate Ben Bradley in my bearing. I mean, look at me, You're six three, Yeah, well whatever, six ' two. But who's arguing By next year it'll least six foot. And I can't imitate my predecessor, Tina Brown or anybody. I can only be myself. But I can learn lessons. And one of the lessons was that if your person has done their reporting and there's irrationale and it's honest, then you go with it. Also, he was incredibly cool.
Speaker 2: Again, you played on stage with Patty Smith. That's not nothing the I think the.
Speaker 1: First time I did that, I was wearing gray what my mother would call slacks and.
Speaker 2: What most people would call slacks. Yeah, God bless her rest in peace exactly. Now. You mentioned Tina Brown and what you learned from Ben Bradley as an editor, I want to go to the moment you're hired as the editor of The New Yorker. It's officially July of ninety eighth, and in the first two months of running the magazine, it's my understanding that you lost about ten pounds. Is that right.
Speaker 1: I'm going to write a book called The Weight Loss Method of Getting a new stressful job. That you don't know what you're.
Speaker 2: Doing, and because you didn't know exactly what you were doing.
Speaker 1: Not exactly, I didn't know anything about what I was doing.
Speaker 2: You asked a deputy editor for Anna Wintor why she is so good at her job.
Speaker 1: And she said, she knows what she wants. And it was really interesting to me because I obviously we have different personalities, and she has both a reality and a persona and you lip in the corner. But nevertheless, that is a very important thing, because I can see sometimes if I'm.
Speaker 2: In the corner Zlob even that as a persona.
Speaker 1: By the way, that comes naturally, my friends. In the course of a day, you make a bunch of decisions, and some of them are can be painful, often having to do with people, or they can be consequential, or they're minor or inconsequential. But you need to make them. You can't let them indefinitely pile up and pile up and pile up A because that's bad management. And B. It confuses people. And you have to know that you're going to make some bad decisions too along the way.
Speaker 2: The quote was because she knows exactly what she wants. So when did you begin to understand what you wanted from the magazine? And what was that?
Speaker 1: Maybe this contradict what we just said, But I don't believe in the reality or the fiction of the Imperial Editor. Ben Bradley couldn't possibly read all of the Washington Post every day, much less make all the decisions that go into it. And there are subjects that I know something about, and there are subjects that I know nothing about, and then there's a lot of in between. And I'm good at some things and I'm crazily bad at others.
Speaker 2: And what are you bad at?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good at getting things done. Take writing, for example. I'm pretty good at making my deadlines. But that doesn't mean I'm a better writer than people who have trouble with their deadlines, you know, aj Lebling. I'm not applying this to myself. But aj Lebling used to say that he was a better writer than anyone who wrote faster than him, and he was faster than anyone who wrote better. Yes, which is a nice, little neat formulation.
Speaker 2: But when you write, do you also maniacally laugh at your own jokes?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: With my shirt off. No, But I have not to deepen the impression. But I have what's called zitzfleish, the ability to keep your ass in the chair to sustain. Right. But look, I now run a business and it has to be a coherent, sustainable one. In order to do the things that I value the most, I have to be asking the right questions. Otherwise I'm going to get be steamrolled into doing things that I think are bad for the magazine.
Speaker 2: So when you took over the magazine in ninety eight, it was not making money.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: You brought it into the black.
Speaker 1: I would reject the vertical pronoun, but we brought it into the black.
Speaker 2: We bought it in the black. Thank you for the all gender bathrooms too, my pleasure. I'm cutting that line.
Speaker 1: I know you are because you're chicken.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm chicken. You're the one who didn't say what you were bad at this sunlight yellow it's chicken. Okay, you still haven't answer to what you're bad at which we're gonna We're gonna do lots of things, Yes, but tell me the things that you value. Do we have enough time? Yes, we have only till two thirty. David, you have only till two thirty. Now, that's not true. I would be here forever. You said the things that you value in the magazine. What are the things that you value? Tell me what that editorial vision look like in those days?
Speaker 1: And now? I value the values of this magazine, which are depth and consideration of being right or driven, of accuracy and care. It is inevitable that with change in over time that there are going to be perceptible and even imperceptible change. It shifts an emphasis. So Bob Gottlieb, who followed William Sean and preceded Tina Brown.
Speaker 2: Passed away this this past summer.
Speaker 1: That's right, great, great, great book editor and the editor of The New Yorker for six years and brought a lot to the desk. As I say, I don't think the thing he favored or had an affection for most in this world is journalism. I think He spent a lot of his time at The New Yorker on the fiction, on a certain kind of comical reporting, all kinds of other things.
Speaker 2: But it's funny when I ask you about values, you go to what another editor didn't value. Is that your way of saying that you value journalism?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm probably more journalistically in hard thought. Yeah, not hard news. Very few pieces would be considered traditional hard news. But I certainly value investigative reporting. I value foreign reporting. Not that Bob didn't publish it. He was. He published Almaghem Prieto from Latin America. He published all kinds of people. It's just a shift in emphasis, volume, view. And also the world has required different things of us at a given time. Let's talk about the Internet in a minute. I can only be who I am so for fiction, Deborah Treatman, who I made the fiction editor, who had been working under Bill Beauford. She and the fiction department Kressa. Elish and William Davidson and so on. They read all the stories, they choose the short stories. My only thing with them is send them to me what we've chosen, and I want to make sure I'm reading them. And a certain percentage ill maybe pass on. And I also want to make sure that even though I'm saying yes to things that I think will be interesting, and I'm putting a lot of faith in those editors and writers, that I'm not knowingly thinking this, God, this will be incredibly boring or wrong for us.
Speaker 2: But this is the first subject that you've been You.
Speaker 1: Think I'm being a vague, a little vague, a little dig in because I'm not going to I have no intention.
Speaker 2: Of being about what I guess. I want to understand how you view the function of the magazine and journalism at this moment, because you've said the best the first job of journalism is to put pressure on power, investigative pressure, reporting pressure, intellectual pressure on the ideas being put out by power. That's journalist's first role, not entertainment, not selling copies, not clicks. Pressure on power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also want to be publishing science. Reporting that's not about necessarily about climate change. That's just about you know how something works. You know. One of the great profiles the magazines published in the last fifty years is say Mark Singer. His profile of Ricky J. Ricky J was who he was a magician, So it's social consequences are modest.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite profiles a fantastic profile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, magas And I just think it is a primary function of journalism, real large, not just in but you know, any journalism worth its name is to put pressure on power. That's for damn sure.
Speaker 2: Since twenty sixteen, the circulation of The New Yorker has increased, No, it's decreased.
Speaker 1: It's been in recent years at one point two million.
Speaker 2: And twenty eighteen it was reported at one point two. Then there's some new survey that came out recently. It says one point two five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's more or less the same. If you're asking about the economics of the magazine.
Speaker 2: I'm asking about the economics and how you balance the economics while still applying pressure to the powers that be.
Speaker 1: I don't see any contradiction in it. I think the great gift of my job and the job that my colleagues jobs that my colleagues have is that our readers expect us to be the best forms of ourselves. In other words, what we want to be in our best days. That's what our readers want us to be. There's no like the readers secretly want us to be dumber or less rigorous, or were cotton candy. We all want cotton candy, by the way, as well as our You know that makes me say those well, you know, we're deserted in some kind. The magazine can all be hardcore investigative reporting or something like that. So that's a very happy coincidence of interest of readers and people who do the work.
Speaker 2: Why don't we talk about the existential issues in journalism right now? Because you recently sat with the New York Times publisher Aj Solzberger, perhaps in this room, and you said to him, public distrust of the New York or the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal are at record levels. Our ratings are a misery.
Speaker 1: Well why the ratings are what's called the mainstream press or a misery?
Speaker 2: Why is that? Are technology of crossing your arms? At some point over.
Speaker 1: There no technology politics. So I came to the Washington Post Watergate, and the press was, in some people's eyes, had rescued the republic of a crook in office. Now we've had a crook in office for four years and as possibly coming back as recipient dictator. Just yesterday I interviewed right here, Lynn Cheney, a pardoned right wing conservative, arguing that we're sleepwalking to dictatorship. So what's different, Well, you all of a sudden have this figure who doesn't resign but in fact tries to overturn the election. And part of his strategy, which is diabolically effective, is to attack and make an enemy of the press, is to take advantage of technologies that did not exist in Nixon's time, to create an alternate universe, not only of the press, but of fact a non fact itself, and unfortunately, not just the United States but all over the world. The authoritarian temptation and the sceptibility to conspiracy theory and lies. We know what that is. We've seen it historically. And technology is only exacerbated and its manipulating abilities are unbelievable. I ask, putin ask Trump, ask and ask and ask. It's just plainly evident. So do I take it personally? The phrase that I might hate most of all in modern life is it is what it is because I don't want it to is. I want it to be otherwise. But that's just a fact of modern life. Because you're gonna ask me, I'm gonna tell you to be honest. Now you'll get people pissed off of me. I don't think the New York Times, for all its faults, and we all argue with it, and it's in a way the weather. I don't think it's ever been better. Some people will argue it's more ideological. It's more I've been hearing that all my life, which is now not short. You know, it's anti Israel, it's pro real, it's propelasy, it's antib You hear that. But their intentions are optimal. Same with us. We have good days, we have bad days. We have you know, successful pieces or transcendently successful pieces. We have the opposite. But life has changed, Technology has changed, politics have changed in such a way that it's taken a toll on what Sarah Palince so eloquently calls the lamestream media.
Speaker 2: When Trump was elected in twenty sixteen, the morning it became clear that he was going to become president, you published an article called an American Tragedy, And I have this vivid memory of being awake at three in the morning reading your piece. I must have just turned maybe twenty two, I think it was. I'd moved to Los Angeles, and I remember everyone around me from Chicago. I'm thinking in the time since then, the eight years, as we head into twenty twenty four, you know, we started this conversation talking about Israel Palestine, which is a story you've told with an and and not a butt, and that is perhaps the most useful way to talk about a country that elected Obama and a country that elected President Trump.
Speaker 1: And so as we.
Speaker 2: Head into twenty four, you often had interviews talk about this term presentism, that we should not be guilty of thinking the present moment will persist forever.
Speaker 1: Quote, despair is.
Speaker 2: An unforgivable sin in politics, public life, and in personal life. Despair is unforgivable. Too much depends on us not being despairing, whether it's the environment or countless other issues of public, American and international life.
Speaker 1: I'm not a religious guy, but that's what the Bible tells me, that despair is the unforgivable sin. And I think that's right. Look at my just where I'm slotted in politically. In my experience when I was your age, I was in Moscow, and what was happening in the world was that Eastern Europe was liberated, the Berlin Wall came down, Soviet totalitarianism was in shambles. There was a promise of democratic progress in the air. There had even been pro democracy demonstrations in Beijing. Latin America was showing signs of democratic development in life.
Speaker 2: When you left Moscow in ninety one, you said, quote, I was unreasonably optimistic.
Speaker 1: Totally, and South African apartheid was overcome, and a few years later the Oslo Accords were signed, And so there was a sense, however, unreasonable, that life was political life, public life, civic life was at the very least promising. And now we've talked about the middle least. We know what's going on in Ukraine, we know what's going on in power in Russia. China is no more delightful than it was, and the environment is maybe the biggest subject of all, but people find it boring to talk about. So when I hear about mental health, and when I hear about political dissatisfaction and anger for people of your generation, how could I think it could be otherwise? It's a really rough time, and I think we'd be idiots to say otherwise. But what do you do? Throw up your hands? But politically, as citizens, the idea of seeding the ground to dictatorship in this country now, no matter how fucked up, the country has proved to be time and time again, no matter how self deceiving we can be about America and American history or are so called exceptionalism, et cetera. I'm just not and you shouldn't be if you don't mind my saying, or any of us can afford to be. To give into despair, that's the enemy or one of those we.
Speaker 2: Should not be guilty of thinking the present moment will persist forever. Yeah, but I have to tell you, Yeah, this is where I add a butt. Okay, when you go into Twine twenty four and you ask people to choose between Trump and Biden, it doesn't feel like a present. It sounds like the past. Sounds like we've because of age. Not just that, but that it's the same two folks with their own set of problems. What are you doing about coming into twenty four and so now you no, no, no, no, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, you can have me on your show, but but no, no, really, we each play our role to despair. The despair, how do you beat back against it?
Speaker 1: Because this is not unique. This is a country that had a civil war. This is country that had reconstruction and its betrayal. This is a country that's had Jim Crow people hanging from trees, ku Klux Klan marching down Pennsylvania Avenue in the twenties, political instability, political betrayal, lying in government. What's unique here is unique here You've got a black comic authority tarian on the brink of reelection. Okay, that is unique reelection to the presidency. I see my role, as you can imagine, as an editor in this and the little writing I do. You mentioned that piece American tragy. The difficulty, of course, is I'm speaking to you and the kinds of people who listen to you, and the people who listen to the New Yorker Radio Hour read the New Yorker. That's not three hundred and thirty million people. That makes it very tough. But throwing up your hands, I think, is it's such as crazy. It's it's defeatist, it's immoral, it's understandable second by second, but ultimately to throw up your hands is just wrong.
Speaker 2: A week before you started YEA in nineteen ninety eight, in the June twenty second issue of The New Yorker, you wrote an article. It was about a critic, Alfred Kason. Uh huh, And I wanted to perhaps return to that in the first paragraph of it and see where it landed with you, and how it may be instructive for us in this moment, I should read it. They would rather hear you than me.
Speaker 1: The inexhaustible urge towards self expression makes it nearly a sure thing that there will always be writers around as long as there is us. The dicier question is whether there will be readers, not just readers of the sports pages and the jumble of self help best sellers and the consultants' confessions, no, but passionate readers who ignore the phone and the TV for a few hours to engage a book whose difficulty, in quotes is that it fails to soothe the ego or flatter a limited intelligence. The reader who honestly believes that the best and deepest of what we are is on the shelf, and that to reach across the shelf changes the self, changes you.
Speaker 2: When it ran in ninety eight, your friend mentor and now a staff writer for you, John McFee said in The Washington Post, that's a pretty good portrait of David himself and a pretty good forecast of how he'll run The New Yorker.
Speaker 1: He did. John McPhee man two, my teacher, my mentor, my colleague, and despite my best efforts, fishing buddy drags me out into the horrible outdoors twice a year to dip a hook into a river for some unknown reason.
Speaker 2: Please don't invite me.
Speaker 1: You have no idea. Look, I am not blind to the world of Netflix, TikTok, my phone which is sitting six inches away from me.
Speaker 2: Which you looked at four minutes ago.
Speaker 1: I looked at four minutes ago. But the fact of the matter is I know nothing in our cultural lives, our intellectual lives, and our civic lives that is effective and that reaches more deeply than the best of what is written. And I'm a huge movie watcher and junk television watcher and ballgame viewer, and but written expression that's what I ended up giving my life toward. And it's immensely enriching and gratifying, and I believe in it. I remember very distinctly interviewing Philip Roth about fifteen years before he died, when I first got to know him, and he was despairing about writing, and not the literary world, but just this piece of business. And I bet you I borrowed the language from him, which is that he despaired of the notion that enough people were turning off the TV, turning on the lamp, throwing the phone across the room, and devoting themselves for an hour or two or three to an enigmatic, difficult tech next of any kind, because it requires a lot of you. And I'm guilty enough of that too, even though my professional life demands it. But it's been It's the gift of a lifetime, and I know that I'm hardly alone.
Speaker 2: You've committed yourself to this, to this craft, to making this magazine. My last question for you. McPhee himself is a great example of creative longevity, which is at the heart of this new book of yours. Holding the note in which you profile a series of musicians who are all still working till the very end. You write for musicians late in their careers in the spirit of cestin nudo of sustain that state, writing, playing and performing keeps them in the game, helping to replenish what age has attenuated. And as we leave, I thought we watch some of this performance by Joni Mitchell at the Newport fire Fest of All last year. Yeah, can you set that up? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Johnny Mitchell, who was such a hugely important and wonderful singer and songwriter and musician and whose masterpiece is maybe one of the great albums of the era is Blue. In recent years she kind of went missing, you know, she wasn't performing, her health was bad, and then she's had in recent less year or two, she's kind of popped her head up again, re emerged here I am, and she's become kind of more welcoming to younger musicians who come and worship at her feet and also play with her. And she appeared at Newport and No, her voice is not this incredibly pure tone that we remember from the seventies and Blue and Ladies of the Canyon and Miles of Aisles and all kinds of things mingus. It's something new. It's deeper, it's rougher, but it's her and there's something beautiful about that. It is very rare in anything that anybody's doing their best work when they're very old. You know. I went to see Bob Dylan out in Brooklyn a month ago, and it was amazing. He's a rarity like that, you know, it's not like a rolling stone anymore. But he's fully engaged his audience. Is there. There's something beautiful about that. My own life. Look, I'm nowhere near the you know, not these remotely in these leagues. And if you're asking me slyly, and I think you are a little bit about what's down the road, I will not cling to this post forever because I think it's wrong. I think you need to make way for new talent, new points of view and new mistakes. Knew everything, and if you clog up the works for too long, it's not healthy. But when I do leave, and it won't be a million years from now, not next week or anytime very soon, but it'll happen, I hope to write again, more consistently, and it may come to nothing, and it may be of trivial importance, but I do love the activity of writing, which is very, very different from the activity of editing. Editing is also a social thing that you get right or you get wrong. We do both. It's an imaginative one and a deeply collaborative one. Writing you are out there on the digging board, all by your lonesome. I find that thrilling.
Speaker 2: This is both sides now by Johnny Mitchell.
Speaker 5: I've lived add life that way for interacting straight and they shave their heads and they tell me that I've changed.
Speaker 2: Well, some things last, but something's gained.
Speaker 1: Jump in living every day.
Speaker 2: I'm live in life from size from wind Lives and still.
Speaker 1: It's life solution.
Speaker 2: I recall, I really don't know life. I really don't know.
Speaker 3: Life at all.
Speaker 1: Amazing. I can't speak, you know, it's it's you, just time. You just listen to time and a musical mother and a daughter, and it's amazing to me.
Speaker 2: David, my last I have to ask you, because now we're both that line. Well, something's lost, but something's gained.
Speaker 1: But even more than that is to hear her, the difference in her voice, and because you're hearing in one ear her voice from sixty years ago, whatever it is, and the voice now and what it's giving to them. You know, if any artist can produce that sense of feeling that you and I I think obviously are experiencing simply by clicking on YouTube, well that artist has done a lot, and God bless her.
Speaker 2: I never quote YouTube comments on the podcast, but one person wrote about the Jonny Mitchell song. A twenty three year old wrote a song for her seventy eight year olds, sing That's where I want to leave us. Which is the creative longevity, the commitment you've made to yourself to the magazine to do this work. And that great piece we quoted from.
Speaker 1: Alfred Kasan, who I you know. I think the occasion for that piece is that he died.
Speaker 2: He died, but he, like you, believed that reaching across the shelf, picking something up, it changes you.
Speaker 1: It didn't change me. It doesn't change us. It makes us if you're lucky and if you partake of it. And I mean a lot of other things do too. We talked about some of them today. You know, your parents, your world, your environment, your mistakes after mistake after mistake. But there it is. The library is the gift to ignore it. Man, I just it's a sin.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to give you a compliment, but it's not going well. Well, I have to end on this. We gotta go. Which is that you and the writers you've presided over and made better have changed me. And I'm so grateful for it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks for having me. This was extraordinary I appreciate it. I really do.
Speaker 2: David Remnick a pleasure, take care of my friend, and that's our show. I want to give a special thanks to Noah Hoff and the team at Penguin Random House. I also want to thank the good people at The New Yorker for hosting us. And finally, I want to thank Kira Posey, Hilton Owls, Joshua Bierman, Nathan Heller, Nick Thorburn, Brian Samilson, Jacob Weisberg, and of course our guests today, David Rednick. To find the pieces discussed in this episode, or to order his new book, Holding Note, check out our website at talk easypod dot com. Once you're there, you can find other great conversations with Maria Russa, Gloria Steinem, Nom Chomsky, Satis, and Tom Hanks. To hear those and more Pushkin Podcasts listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you like to listen. If you enjoy today's conversation with David and want to support the work we do here each and every Sunday, be sure to share the show on social media. Leave us a review on Apple, give us five stars on Spotify. All of this whatever you can do is really the best way for new listeners to find the program. As always, Talk Easy is produced by Caroline Reebok. Our executive producer is Jeni Sa Bravo. Our associate producer is Kitlin Dryden. Today's talk was edited by Kitlyn Dryden and mixed by Andrew Bastola. Our music is by Dylan Peck. Our illustrations are by Christia Shanoy. Photographs today are by Kyle Manning. Video and graphics by Ian Chang, Derek gamberzak Ian Jones and Ethan Sinica. I also want to thank our team at Pushkin Industries, Justin Richmond, Julie Barton, John Snars, Kerry Brody, Eric Sandler, Jordan McMillan, Kira Posey, Tara Machado, Jason Gambrell, Justine La Malcolm Gladwell, Greta Cone, and Jacob Weisberg. I'm San Fragoso. Thank you for listening to Talk Easy. I'll see you back here next week with another episode. Until then, stay safe and so on.