Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Vanessa Beyor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how shaped this into the people we are today.
Speaker 3: Who do not recommend listening to this episode after midnight.
Speaker 2: Welcome to How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 3: So Jonah, before we get started in our usual story, I just want to do a little bit of housekeeping for our listeners. And I've heard other podcasts called this housekeeping before, which is why.
Speaker 2: I picked up. Yeah, it was interesting. Not a term. Yeah, don't take this the wrong way. Not a term I really associate with you. Housekeeping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of. I would say I'm kind of a messy person, and I understand that. But anyways, here comes some housekeeping. Does it sound natural?
Speaker 2: Like it doesn't sound It's one of the most natural thing you've ever heard. Just a house to housekeeping.
Speaker 1: We're going to do some housekeeping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds better. Beta gets better.
Speaker 3: So we are off for the next two weeks for the holidays, but in lieu of our regular episodes, we will be airing some absolutely incredible appearances that.
Speaker 1: We made on some other hilarious podcasts.
Speaker 3: Next week, we will be airing the episode of Stradio Lab who we had Sam and George on our podcast to talk about eminem We will be airing an episode that I did on their podcast of Stradio Lab where we talk about first day of school outfits okay, And then the following week, we will be airing an appearance that Jonah and I did on the Amber and Lacy Lacy and Amber show, who you may remember from when they did our podcast and we talked about rolling down a hill in a barrel?
Speaker 2: Who could forget it?
Speaker 1: Who could forget it?
Speaker 3: Now, next week George and Sam will be airing the episode that they did on our podcast, and the following week Amber and Lacy will be airing the episode that they did on our podcast again rolling down a Hill in a Barrel. But first we're doing our holiday episode right now where we would like to talk about the film Gremlins.
Speaker 2: So you might be wondering why we're talking about Gremlins, Well, this is an extension of last week's episode we had on the hilarious Andy Samberg and he was talking about movie theme serials. We spent a lot of time focusing on the Gremlin serial and then afterwards Vanessa and I were looking for a Christmas movie to discuss, or a holiday movie, and Gremlins nineteen eighty four classic Christmas film. So this is kind of an extension of last week's episode in a way.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we have a lot to say because we're really excited to talk about Grenlin, Grenlins, Gremlins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, Vanessa, do you remember watching this movie? Did we watch this as a kid? I mean I think it was a TV and stuff, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it came out in nineteen eighty four, so I was three years old and you were five years old. So I don't think that either of us, like neither of us saw it in the theater. That would have been absolutely responsible of our parents.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm not really talking about in the theater. I'm talking about on TV, like TBS, the edited version.
Speaker 3: Right, right, I remember exactly. I think, like what you're saying, it was always on TV. But when I watched it yesterday, I realized I've never seen it the whole way through before.
Speaker 2: Same same I realized that too, and I had never watched it on purpose. I feel like I had only kind of seen it on TV wall like channel search.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jonah, I think you and I talked about.
Speaker 3: We both had a similar feeling about it, which is that it even as kids, it felt very scary to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's considered, you know, we can get into a comedy horror film. It's directed by Joe Dante. Yeah, it's basically this kind of weird amalgam of movies where it's like a horror movie but it's kind of for kids, and there's kind of like cute funny parts, but then parts of it are like legit horror movie scary like people.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, totally, so let's get into it. As you said, Jonah. Gremlins is a nineteen eighty four American comedy horror film directed by Joe Dante, written by Chris Columbus, and starring Zach Gallaghan, Phoebe Kates, and a bunch of other people, including Howie Mandel providing the voice of Gizmo, which I did not know.
Speaker 2: I'd never in a million years would have guessed that that was. Howie Mandel is Gizmo.
Speaker 3: Who is the main Maguai character, and basically the story follows a young man who receives a strange creature as a pet, which is Gizmo. The Maguay which then spawns other creatures who transform into small, destructive, mischievous monsters that I'll reek havoc on a hold town on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so that's what Wikipedia has to say about it. You know, for us, me and Vanessa kind of watched it both last night separately. We haven't talked, we haven't discussed it yet. But no, if you haven't seen it in a while, we can kind of break it down for you. And basically it starts out opening scene. The dad is in some kind of eastern sort of Chinatown type neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's in Chinatown, and he is an inventor.
Speaker 2: He's an inventor, and he's got this thing in the bathroom buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's sort of in the Chinatown sort of buy a Christmas gift for his son, but also to kind of like try and sell the owner of the store on his bathroom buddy.
Speaker 2: Right. So he's he's there and he's looking for, you know, the perfect gift. He's been looking everywhere, you know. This kid takes him down to his grandfather's store. He's looking around, and so he hears this This sound gives the most singing. Basically, it's like, oh, this is like the perfect gift for my kid, which is like so weird because it's like you're gonna ship this, You're gonna take this as luggage across the whole country, Like right, well, doesn't seem like the best gift to fly with.
Speaker 3: Well, do you think he's out You think he's out of town. You don't think they just like live in a suburb of New York and he's like in China.
Speaker 1: That's maybe I took it.
Speaker 2: I got the sense he was on like a business trip.
Speaker 1: Interesting, like he tried, right, he does travel for work to sell his own I get.
Speaker 2: The sense he was like somewhere far away looking for a special gift.
Speaker 3: I see, I see what you're saying, because I guess it really does look like they're in the suburbs where they live.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, But anyways, wherever he is, he gets he wants this and the owner says, no, you know, it's you have to be really responsible, and basically the grandson kind of sells it to him on the side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, here's this is where this sort of starts. And I guess this is a theme that's throughout the movie, and I guess it's on purpose. But the guy sees the little gizmo the little Magway, which is I guess it's like a cute little creature as a magway, but anyway, but it's like a new species of thing, and the guy is like, not that, Like wouldn't you be like, oh my god, what is this? And wouldn't you also not be like I should go take take this thing home and have it as my pet, like this new species that's never been I just feel like there's not a ton of shop. And I think the reason he discovers him is because and this is something I forgot about Gizmo, which is very cute, is that Gizmo sings a lot the moxing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. It's there's a vibe in this movie where finding a new species of animal is just like kind of a normal thing. Like it's not like it doesn't happen every day, but it's it could happen. Yeah, it's like yeah, yeah, like you could go to store and like it might not be just a bunch of old like color me bad CDs at like when these stores. It would be like a new species of animal and that would be cool, but not out of the Yeah, not that weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just feels like the dad is sort of like he's so not weird about that. He's like, I'm ready to take this home and take care of it and live with it forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so he gets a Magua comes home. The sun is Billy, So Billy's Billy's having some isshes with his car and his neighbor. So this neighbor character like hates anything foreign is sort of the vibe you get because he keeps being like, oh, right.
Speaker 3: A neighbor who's who's like he's he's just like senaphobic neighbor.
Speaker 2: And the guy's like, oh, this car is And it's almost like there is this like I almost got a sense like there was some kind of like social commentary happening about almost like xenophobia or like I don't know, maybe I was just a reading too into it, but like how the maybe like you know, I don't know exactly what the Gremlins represent, but it was sort of showing how like there was this kind of I don't know, xenophobic kind of like small town suburban attitude and this guy was kind of like the representing it, and I'm exactly sure how it fits together, but I think there was a reason I would think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this kid can't go to work because his car isn't starting so and the neighbor's like it because it's a foreign car. And then he eventually decides to walk to work, but he has to take his dog with him, and he's he works at a bank, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hold on, hold on, because this is the most incredible fire. It's a dog owner. He just takes his dog to work off leash, like, yeah, I would be terrified to do. So they're going through intersections and this dog, to me, the dog's name is Barney. I believe. Yes, I gotta say, this dog is so cute, and we can get to Gizmo later, but I think the cutest animal in the movie is Barney.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you and I both had like this memory, as do probably most people familiar with this movie of Gizmo being like the cutest thing in the world. But I just think that technology has come so far since nineteen eighty four that Gizmo.
Speaker 1: To me was cute but looked so robotic.
Speaker 2: Because basically, basically it looks like et like a baby et.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, and there's and Steven Spielberg produced both of these movies.
Speaker 1: And I do think and as we read, well, i'm telling you her listeners.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, because if you're telling me, I know, Silber gotta go.
Speaker 3: But I do think we did read that there's some inspiration, like some of this movie was made because of the success of ET.
Speaker 1: So anyways, he takes this incredib cute.
Speaker 3: Dog to work and then and Phoebe Kate's was so popular then, wasn't she.
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe this is post Fast Times at Ridgemond High, which was obviously like a huge movie. And so yeah, I think she was popular. And I said somewhere that this guy, Billy I think was not a big actor. And it read somewhere that they were cast by Spieger because of their on screen chemistry.
Speaker 3: I did think they had a lot of chemistry, I have to say. And I forgot how beautiful she is. She's just like such a she's like stunning. I just want to say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so she also works at the bank.
Speaker 3: She also works at the bank, but she also works at her dad's bar, which we'll get to or her family's restaurant slash bar. Okay, So they're at the bank and he's working at the counter and this woman comes in who has wicked Witch of the West vibes like she's Screwge Scrooge kind of scrooge.
Speaker 1: Kind of vibes. Yeah, and she's exactly. She is a real Scrooge type.
Speaker 2: She's there the bank, owns a bank, or.
Speaker 1: She's she owns the bank.
Speaker 3: Later they say, like she her husband, she owns all this real estate. She's like a landlord and all of these like people like sort of poor people include or people who can't afford their houses, including maybe Billy's family leader are like, can we get an extension on our Yeah, Like.
Speaker 2: She's very you know, she's very Yeah, she's like she talks down to them. She's like your dad's a you know, like your parents are joke, you know. And then the crazy part is like then she keeps like threatening to hurt his dog.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's like she's such a she's such a huge bitch and she's like evil. Like she comes in the bank and she has this where Billy's working, and she has this Santa Claus like head from this big ceramic Santa Claus and she's like, your dog jumped into my lawn and broke my ceramics Santa Claus, and so now I'm going to fucking kill him, basically, that's what she says. And Billy's like, I don't kill my dog, and she's like, I'm going to kill your dog. And she's like, when you're not looking, I'm gonna take him and I'm gonna like I'm gonna like hang him up and kill him. And it's like that is insane. It's also like, yeah, that's like not cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it also seems like a huge overreaction because he broke your ceramics.
Speaker 3: Sand It's also like, don't have like a ceramic Santa outside.
Speaker 1: Put it inside your house.
Speaker 2: If you want it to be yeah, or it's a snowman. But also like you don't seem into Christmas at Also who has a ceramic snowman outside their house? Anyways?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a bad it's such a bad way to display your art. Yeah, so to put it outside if it's so fred By the way, I also want to say, on her way into the bank, somebody is asking for an extension to pay there this woman with her son. They're like, we just got new jobs, but we can't afford to pick can we just have one more month? We asked your husband and she's like, no, you have to pay or whatever.
Speaker 3: And I think they do that to paint her as a bad guy, even before she's into the bank. But it's sort of like her threatening to kill a dog. I think that's all you need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that's true. I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Then he gets home from work and that's when he's presented with oh, right, the gremlin, I mean, excuse me, the Maguay.
Speaker 1: The mob. So he gets ay and again like not that, he's like, oh, it's so cute, Like he's not like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Right, why does it saying? Why is it a totally different species? Why does it look like a robotic puppet?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 3: But he's again, I'm not being critical of the movie, because I do think that at the time this probably looked cool.
Speaker 1: I remember it looking cool. But he's just not that shocked about it.
Speaker 3: Right, And then Corey Feldman comes over, who's his little neighbor, and he shows it to Corey Feldman not playing himself, he's playing a neighbor character. And then Corey accidentally spills water on it, and all of a sudden these little fur balls start coming out of its back and they hatch in to more little mog Wise. But these mog Wise are sort of more mischievous.
Speaker 1: I would say.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Corey Feldman, by the way, just announced he's going on tour with Limp Biscuit. I believe this summer.
Speaker 3: So whoa, Okay, yeah, this is making me feel like, are we gonna get some could he play like the dad in a new Grandmo's or something? Okay, I don't really have that many thoughts about it. Yeah, but it's other than good for Corey Feldman, really happy for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will not be there because not my kind of music.
Speaker 1: But okay, okay. Anyways, Billy multiplies.
Speaker 3: There's a ton of Mogwise in his house now, not just Gizmo.
Speaker 1: He tells his dad.
Speaker 3: His dad, who's the inventor, is like, oh my god, this is something we should sell, Like this is awesome, Like we should probably sell these as you know, a new product, which is like, again, nobody's scar nobody's like, this is a new species.
Speaker 1: It might be an endangered.
Speaker 2: Spe this is a new species that that reproduces in a completely new way in the world.
Speaker 3: Well, Billy actually does think about that. I think because he takes Gizmo into his Oh no, he takes a different Maguay into his science class to his science teacher, and the science teacher is like, cool, I'm going to do a bunch of experiments on this, and you're like okay.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm going to do a blood test on it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do a blood test, like call.
Speaker 2: The government or something that, Like a high school.
Speaker 1: Blood Something I would do is call the government.
Speaker 2: I think, where where are you sending this Maguay blood to?
Speaker 1: Like what lab?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, amateur science teacher is the right person to address such a serious news species. So anyways, basically what happens is the mischievous Magways at Billy's house they kind of eat through the cord that connects the clock to the like they eat through the wire, so the clock is no longer connected, it's no longer ticking, and so the Magways are acting really hungry and he's like, okay, it's not midnight yet. Oh we left a really important part, which is when the dad gets Gizmo from the store in Chinatown, sort of illegally from the grandson who agrees to sell it to him without his grandpa's knowledge.
Speaker 1: The grandson says, there's three worlds.
Speaker 3: One is he doesn't like light, the second one is don't get him wet, and the third one is don't feed him after midnight. Right, so obviously we know why you can't get them wet, which is that they multiply into more magways, but we don't know why you can't feed them after midnight yet. But what happens is the magways mess with the clocks. Billy feeds them after midnight. Simultaneously, the professor who just did this blood we watched him do this like sort of blood test, take blood from the Magwai.
Speaker 1: He leaves his like who's.
Speaker 2: A sandwich out? All the all the Maguays eat. They all yeah, yeah, manamore. The all metamorphosize into these slimy pod things, and then they all become evil gremlins that try to destroy the whole town.
Speaker 3: It's kind of trying to give a little more excitement, but yes, exactly, exactly. Yeah, So they turn into gremlins and then they.
Speaker 2: Start terrorizing everyone.
Speaker 3: The first like really terrible brutal thing that happens is at the school, the professor goes to like get something like he puts his hand in some sort of area to try and find the magua with his hand, and he doesn't know that it's turned into it.
Speaker 1: He can't find the gremlin or something. It's turned into a gremlin. And then you.
Speaker 3: See that He's like there's like a lot of people putting their hands in places not knowing what's behind, like you know, or in a mailbox or something, and then not being able to get their hands out. And then with this professor Billy discovers him later and he's like on the ground completely dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the magwas. Yeah, they're like the gremlins now driving cars into people's that gremlins. Excuse me, they're driving cars into people'sses. They're attacking Billie's mom. Yeah, basically, they're just going all over the town wreaking havoc, including the local bar.
Speaker 1: Including the local bar.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing that was interesting about the choice they made with the Grumlins. It's not like they're in other movies where you just have monsters that are just like they're not like zombies. They're not just trying to like get you and eat you or whatever. What they do is like they're really into like kind of being prank like pranksters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at one point the real.
Speaker 3: Estate kind of wicked Witch of the West woman, she's coming down the stairs in one of those seats that slides down the stairs, and instead of them coming up to her and just attacking her, they rewire her chair so that it's at like double triple speed, and then she just flies she flies up. When she goes to go up, she flies up and she flies out the window and dies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so, yeah, they're mischievous. They're pulling all kinds of preys.
Speaker 3: They're doing a lot of human things, which leads us to the Barjon't I think the bar is kind of the.
Speaker 2: And they're basically just getting drunk and partying, and Phoebe Kates is like like sort of like trying to give them drinks and get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's sort of weird because with all other humans, they're sort of partying, partying and doing pranks, but at the same time trying to kill the humans, whereas with Phoebe Kates there she's i think because she's the bartender and she has access to like you know, the taps and all that stuff, and she like knows how to use all that stuff. They're sort of just accepting drinks from her, and whenever they come up to her, she gives them a cigarette light or a drink, and it sort of breaks from the logic of gremlins. But then at a certain point she does sneak out of the bar.
Speaker 1: But it is funny.
Speaker 3: I noticed, like there's a you know, there's a gremlin. All of a sudden, they have all of this sort of human like clothing and character sort of outfits, Like there's a gremlin that has a top hat on, there's some women gremlins with like a lot of lipstick on.
Speaker 1: There's gremlins, you know. They they sort of take on all of these flashy like sort of human I don't know, it's funny, and I guess that's the comedy of it, is that they're sort of they're evil killer creatures, but they also are sort of funny because they take on these human personas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then speaking of logic, Phoebe Kate's explains why she gets depressed around Christmas, and this I think is one of the most bizarre choices they make. So yeah, so I read like they weren't sure if they were going to keep this part in but yeah, at one point, you know, Billy keeps asking her why she doesn't like Christmas? How if you're not like Christmas? Then eventually she's like, well, you know, my father disappeared on Christmas Eve and then we couldn't find him. And then I was by the chimney and the smell really hit me and we found out my dad had been stuck in the chimney for five days pretending to be Santa Claus and he died.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't make sense because they say that he had all these gifts and he was on the roof and he slipped, But like, how do you slip into a chimney?
Speaker 2: Is my It's like it's and you think he would be kind of like yelling or like trying to get help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also the only way to slip into a chimney is to already be standing on the chimney, So I think he I don't think he was trying to get into the chimney. She made it sound like he had all these gifts and he's on the roof because and then he slipped and he fell in the chimney.
Speaker 1: It's like, is was the chimney. That's not how architecture works.
Speaker 2: Right, So now we understand why Phoebe k It's doesn't just which is pretty, which is pretty understandable.
Speaker 3: I would say, but couldn't you have just said my dad left on Christmas and you'd be like, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so yeah, I don't know. I mean he keeps asking, so it's like, you know, he finally gets his answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he gets his answer. That's what happens when you're nosy. Yep.
Speaker 2: And then so yeah, just to wrap things up, because it feels like, you know, we can get through a lot to get through here. Basically, they take over the town. They all go into the movie theater and watch snow White and the Gremlins dollar watching snow White. They apparently love snow White. I don't know what kind of cross promotional thing this was with Walt Disney.
Speaker 3: They're showing the actual snow White movie in it, which I was shocked by.
Speaker 2: But yeah, good luck trying that these days. They're gonna pay Walt Disney twenty five billion dollars. Your movie's not going to get off the cutting room floor. But so they rig this thing up. They blow up the movie theater and kill all the gremlins, except.
Speaker 3: So there's one more gremlin that got away, and it's Stripe. It's the leader of the group and he's in this mall, and so they go in there to kill him, and basically he almost kills them.
Speaker 1: It's really scary.
Speaker 3: At one point, Stripe is coming at Billy with a chainsaw, yeah, which I thought was.
Speaker 2: He's got a chainsaw, Billy's got a baseball bat, and he's sawing through the bat and Billy's just holding it up.
Speaker 3: And then luckily you go really weak chainsaw that it takes such a long time for him to get through a wood in baseball man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's taken a long time. And then you got Gizmo in a little Barbie car driving around and Gizmo eventually is the one that pulls the light open and it gets spike, and Gizmo's the one kind of that saves a day.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, they're back at the house.
Speaker 3: Everyone's okay, and the original owner of the store in Chinatown takes Gizmo back and he tells Billy maybe someday he'll be ready to own him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says the dad wasn't ready, but he says maybe someday you will, because Gizmo wants to say goodbye to Billy. He's like, yeah, bye Billy because they can kind of speak, but like soil, it's kind of unclear exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Gizmo wants to say something to Billy. Did you understand what Gizmo was saying, because it's just like he says.
Speaker 2: By Billy. I think he says by Billy.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't.
Speaker 2: I had the captions on, so I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh gotcha, Okay.
Speaker 2: Ansley, Yeah, mag why.
Speaker 3: I thought he maybe said I love you, but he said bye Billy. He wanted to make sure he said bye Billy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sweet.
Speaker 3: And then there's like this voiceover that's like, you know, next Christmas or whatever, be careful, check all your cupboards, check under your bed, check in your bathroom, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And it says because there just might be a gremlin in your house. And that's the last line of the film.
Speaker 2: Ye pretty free. Yeah. Well, so that's Gremlins basically from start to finish. Yeah, you haven't seen it. You probably don't even need to see it now because you basically just hearted the whole movie. But we're gonna take a quick break and we'll be back with some fun facts about Gremlins.
Speaker 3: So we're back, and so Jonah, now should we talk about some of the research we did on this, on this incredible yes?
Speaker 2: So yes. So this was a big hit film. It was the third highest grossing film of nineteen eighty four, which is a big one. And so, you know, Warner Brothers really wanted to follow up, you know how these studios are something gets big, they want to follow it up. And finally it took six years, which is a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the director didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Do it right, Yeah, he didn't want to do it. And then so nineteen ninety Gremlins two, the new batch came out, not as popular as a first one. I don't remember actually seeing this one. I thought about actually watching it last night too, but I just felt like too much Gremlins. But yeah, and apparently there's been rumors for basically the last thirty plus years about a Gremlins three. There was last year Max has an animated series, Gremlin Secret of the Magua, so they came up this cartoon. But yeah, there still has not been a Gremlins three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically, yeah, yeah, I think I read something that said if this HBO Max Animated show does well that maybe that would help them kind of have more of a reason to do a Gremlins three.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it hasn't happened yet, and I don't know. I don't know if it will.
Speaker 2: I found an article from Collider and it says that it says there's been some other stuff. You know, there's a Mountain Dew commercial that reunited Billy and Gizmo. And then there was a talk with Zach Alligan in twenty twenty one where he said, I swear to god, if I had a dollar for every time anybody asked me about Gremlins three, I'd make Bill Gates look like a popper. Okay, it's okay. You know, there's a speculation about what it could be like if they make it. I guess every few years there's sort of this rumor that they're gonna make it. I guess Warner Brothers back Gremlins three dot com at one point. So I think they've been trying to do it, but it just has not come together. Personally, I think we're good, right, I don't think. I don't think we need a Gremlins three. I don't, you know, like right think about it. If you're like, I mean, we were so young when this movie came out, if you were born, if you're under thirty, I don't know. I just don't think kit and millennials are going to be like, oh, we gotta listee the new Gremlins movie. It's like, you know, Billie Eilish is on the soundtrack, It's going to be so cool.
Speaker 3: Billy Eilish really your go to gen Z person. I do think if they did another one it would be interesting.
Speaker 1: It would probably be so scary because it would probably they'd probably do such a good job with the like CGI stuff of making the Gremlins puppets look really real, and it would probably be really scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think that also you'd have to want to make it like for kids, but then you want like adult who grew up with the movies to be I feel like it's got to be too many things for two to many different types of people, and that's probably why they haven't been able to nail it well.
Speaker 3: You actually bring up an interesting fun fact about this movie, which which I read in some of the research you did, which was that this movie is partially responsible for the creation of the PG thirteen rating, and that basically, Steven Spielberg had this movie and Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, and those were both rated PG at their release, and people were sort of mad. They were like, these are too violent, they're too scary to be PG movies. And he sort of he didn't want them to be our movies because less people would be able to see them, so he sort of, it says.
Speaker 1: In these both of these articles suggested to.
Speaker 3: A friend he knew or something that there'd be a new rating that's between PG and R and that and therefore the PG thirteen rating was born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is an article from Mental Flaw. Some other fun facts. The original Gremlin script, written by Chris Columbus, was much much darker. Yeah, this says. Earlier scenes included the Gremlins eating Billy's dog, then decapitating his mom and throwing her head down the stairs. Spiel I'm so happy that didn't. Yeah, that's really good. I mean, it's already pushing the envelope. But Spielberg, director Joe Dantean, Warreer brothers were all in agreement they should tone down the gore in order to make the movie more family friendly. Yes, yeah, yeah, I mean that seems way too much.
Speaker 1: It seems like it would have turned the movie in a way that like any kind of like comedy they did, with having them dress up as club owner club kind of people, or any kind of fun pranks they pulled, it would take kind of it would kind of sour all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got that. We already talked about Howie Mendel's a voice of Gizmo.
Speaker 1: It just so funny. It's so funny to because he never really Yes, but yeah, interesting, interesting, Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The film was originally scheduled for a Christmas release, but then Warner Brothers realized they didn't have a summer movie to put up against Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom or Ghostbusters, so it moved up the release date. And yes, Grummins performed well, just behind Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. So wow, nineteen eighty four, big year for movies.
Speaker 1: Big year for movies.
Speaker 3: And another article that you showed me, Jonah was saying how a lot of parents took their kids to see it because the way that the trailer was initially made for it. They showed the Gremlins, and the magwas doing cute things and funny things, right, but they didn't show any of the violence in the trailer apparently. Yeah, maybe that's because it was initially rated PG. And so then all these families were like so mad because they were people were taking their kids to see the movie and they were like, there's so much violence in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a violent movie for sure. This I thought this is a thing that would happen. You know, Mom did she She bought me that book when I was a kid, the Jim Carroll book, The Basketball Diaries, right, which is like actually like a book like mostly about drugs and stuff. Okay, but I think Mom was like, oh, Jonah likes basketball, right, and I remember writing it. It's his classic book. Great book, but uh, I probably shouldn't. I don't think Mom bought it for me knowing. I think she just saw the word basketball, so I.
Speaker 3: Think, right, well, if you also Basketball Diaries, sounds like he wrote like I did pretty good at basketball practic today, right, but tomorrow I'm hoping to get so many hoops.
Speaker 2: Like sure probably, sure, sure, But now it's like people do so much research that. I feel like it's harder for that. Like now people are like on trip Advisor being like, are the ribs at this place good? Like someone someone thought that ribs have too much sauce, we shouldn't go. It's like, okay, dude, just just try to go out and eat a rib and we don't need you know, you don't need to researcher for two weeks.
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 3: I hear you, I hear you now, Jonah, do you have any other thoughts about Gremlins. I'm trying to think if we have any other fun facts other than TBD on whether there's going to be a Gremlins three.
Speaker 1: Keep your eyes open for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I guess it's just I feel that it's just such an interesting movie to me watching it now, just from a genre perspective, right, because it's so many different genres, it's so hard to figure out who this movie's for. And then you know, like we talked about with Andy, I think it birthed all these other movies like Critters and like Chucky and all these movies that or kind of like these few things that are actually really evil and scary. Yeah, yeah, And all those movies were terrifying to me, and I, as an adult, still don't want to watch any of them. Oh.
Speaker 3: I never saw any of those movies and still like the chucky stuff. Whenever I would see those commercials, I'd be so hard like I didn't. Yeah, I'm very not into scary stuff. But it is it's a mix of genres, and I would say that I enjoyed it, like I do. Think it was kind of fun to watch it, but it just is so odd. Yeah, it's like it's almost a movie you should watch when you're hire.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like it is you know. So the movie is almost like forty years old. It's easy to sit here now and be like, uh like actually it's not really that scary or like the special effects are so bad.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like okay, yeah, but it's forty years old, you know, so it's like, uh, for the time and the period, I think it was good. I mean the acting okay, but yeah, to me, I guess my two takeaways are like a gizmo NAIs cues I thought it would be and be this movie is wasayte kind of more gory and scary than I remember it. I always thought of it. It's kind of more of like a cute see kids movie, and I didn't realize it was more of like kind of a legit horror movie in a lot of ways too. Yeah, what about you? What are your takeaways, Vanessa?
Speaker 1: My takeaways are similar.
Speaker 3: I remember thinking it would be scary when I was a kid, sort of because I was scared of any kind of monster type thing in anything, right, And it lived up to that expectation that I did find it to be scary. I also thought it was kind of an interesting swing that the Gremlins do so much human like stuff and that they really tried to like push the comedy of the Gremlins personalities.
Speaker 1: I kind of appreciated that. I just felt like, what is going on? Yeah, but yeah, enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I would be interested, Okay, but this is such a Hollywood thing for the eighties and like nineties, because it's like, can you imagine, like you have a movie like Barbie or something, and then they're like, all right, we're gonna do Barbie two, but it's gonna come out in twenty twenty nine. It's like, right, come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Never, you never would wait six years to do a sequel to a movie that was a big hit like this.
Speaker 3: But to be fair, and nowadays every movie is like a remake of something from that's twenty years ago or three years ago.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: There's not a ton of new ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell me about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, right now, Jonah, do you have a favorite Christmas or holiday movie?
Speaker 1: Hanika movie?
Speaker 2: Maybe not really, I was thinking about this. You know, Christmas Story was partially filmed in Cleveland, so that's I know, I know, have you ever seen it? I've seen on TV. And then I feel like I feel the house was in like Tremont or like Ohio City. Yeah, I feel like people have pointed the house out to me maybe or something right, but no, and then like die Hard is like every year, like like people think it's like really clever to be like, actually die Hard a Christmas movie, and like it kind of is. I mean I would say it probably is, you know, about as much as Gremlins is, So I think it's valid. But it's also like, yeah, we get we get it. But I actually watched die Hard recently, like a month or two ago, not for Christmas, just just because I hadn't seen it in a while, And so you can watch it year Round.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a cool about Diehard. But I don't really have a favorite one. I don't know. My wife Vicky really likes a Souf Jin Stevens Christmas album, so we listen to that. That's got some good Christmas covers on it. But I don't really That's about as far as I get into it, other than other than being decorating the tree and that kind of stuff. Vanessa, what about you? You have any Christmas or holiday movies that you're a fan of.
Speaker 3: Well, I really like The Holiday, the rom Com, The Holiday. I think that's probably I was trying to think of what is my favorite. I was in a Christmas month office Christmas party. I guess it would have been nice if you would have said.
Speaker 2: That that was a great I remember I went to the premiere that or a screening of it in New York that was that was a really funny movie. I actually kind of forgot about that. That's my favorite Christmas movie.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jonah, Yeah, that's so nice.
Speaker 2: And there was something like there's a photo of us on your desk in the movie or something. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: My character plays this sort of frustrated woman who's a mom and she has a picture.
Speaker 1: Of her kids. I forgot about that. She has a picture of.
Speaker 3: Her kids on her desk, and I used a picture it might be the picture that we use for our podcast, and I put that picture on my desk. I don't know if it ever got on camera because a lot of the camera angles are facing.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I think it did. I think it did. If you freeze frame it, maybe you can get it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you'll see a picture of you and me in the what a What a Fun Easter Egg about a Christmas movie?
Speaker 2: Jonah, Yeah, that's a good one. So that's my yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, thank you so much. And you know what, I'll say it's my favorite too because I love getting to do it and honestly, it's where I got to meet Jennifer Aniston.
Speaker 2: So right, and Jason Bateman.
Speaker 1: Bateman it was.
Speaker 3: And I also got to do that with Kate McKinnon and we were both on SNL at the time, so we got to go together from SNL to film that movie in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: It was really fun.
Speaker 2: We just had to really stick around because you know, next year's holiday episode we might get even more in depth about Office Christmas Party.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yes, we might we might get Randall Parks like so many fun people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I can't believe we're almost through this episode, Vanessa.
Speaker 1: It's so sad because once we're done, it means we'll be on a little hiatus.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true. So right now, we're going to do a little segment called change dot Door, Change dot Door, where we comb change dot org looking for various petitions and then we vote on the one that we would sign the most. I can kick us off if you love, Okay, sure. This first one is called Share the Wealth Santa. This is a holiday edition of the game. In case I even guess that this one is made out to Saint Nicholas ak Santa Claus, and it says Santa gets to use magic to deliver presents to good boys and girls all over the world every year. Yeah that's great, now, but why don't we get some magic huh? I mean, I don't have an army of elves to make me toys, so I probably won't be doing that. But I could use some Santa magic too. I think if Santa was a real saint, he would give all of us a little bit of magic for Christmas for me to use in my daily life. Also, what's up with that army of elves he has in the North Pole. Santa's running a business over there completely unsupervised. I think we need a few inspectors to head over there to make sure the elves are getting paid their fair share and the workplace is up to proper code. This one's got fourteen signatures. Vanessa, what do you think about Santa sharing the weld?
Speaker 1: I think it sounds like it was written by vivek Ramswami.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, we need to send someone up to ruin Santa's workshop and make sure everything's up to code.
Speaker 1: Sorry that I just don't you know, Yeah, I get it. I don't quite understand. I think this is you know, obviously I go.
Speaker 3: I get really mad at these petitions where I think people trying out their stand up, but especially this is so unclear, Like, I guess what this person is asking for is they're saying Santa uses magic to deliver presents, right, which I guess the magic like this year, like flying in the sleigh and all that kind of.
Speaker 2: Doing, giving everyone presence on the same night.
Speaker 3: Sure that's magic, right when it's every kid in the world. Okay, And this person said that's great, now, but why don't we get some magic. I don't have an army of L's to make me toys, but I could use the Santa. But then they don't say what they would use the Santa magic for. So it's like, I would love it if this person would specify what are they saying, what are they specifically saying by Santa's magic, r what abilities fall under Santa's Magic specifically that they are into, and if they had those abilities, what would they use them for?
Speaker 1: Otherwise, why am I going to sign your petition?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm with you, Like, if you want magic to like pass your history test, yes, exactly, try opening your history book and doing some studying too, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and maybe maybe this person obviously hasn't been a great student, because if they were, they would know what they should put in a petition.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, so it's unclear what they want and then you know, wanting to go in. I get what they're saying about making sure that that's the elves, you know, the workshops up to code. Uh, you know, I don't know. This feels even for change dot org, even as like a joke, this feels like it's a stretch. It's a stretch. It's a stretch, it's a it's a little too much like you're already presenting an unclear, totally unrealistic argument and then you're like trying to put weird like labor laws into it for the North Pole, and it's just I think it's yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Not not yeah, yeah, it's not landing.
Speaker 2: It's not landing.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: One thing that is cool though, that I've noticed for all these petitions and every petition now don't change dot organ is that they have a QR code so you can no.
Speaker 1: I see that.
Speaker 2: I see that you can now download a QR code to help people find the petition. So that's that's great. This one's at fourteen. He's trying to get to twenty five. We'll see, we'll see. I'm not saying this one. I'll tell you that much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah again I I you know, I've said it before. I'll say it again. Go up on stage. Try it out, you know what I mean, Try out some of these jokes right where.
Speaker 2: Stop stop using your material at the Republican debates, right and yeah, stop.
Speaker 3: Trying to become you know, the VP with all your burns exactly This next one is called I want a Honka bush in parentheses aka Christmas tree. So this person said, I think that we should have a Hanuka bush because it's pretty and we all like it. And even though a lot of us are hashtag Jewish, we aren't a Jewish house. We are just based on Jewish values smiley face.
Speaker 2: So I think what this person is saying is they want to have a Hanikah bush, which is, you know, they just like it and they think it's nice. And I get that because I feel like, as a kid, you always heard this stuff about Hankah bushes and like Hanukkah.
Speaker 1: Harry or like yes, which was an SNL's guest, was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was always being of this talk. I think of like when you're Jewish, like wanting to kind of have and I know we have Hanukkah, but it doesn't have the tree. It doesn't have the same kind of like symbolism, the same kind of stuff. And I will say, even for me, I never had a tree growing up, and I've had one from maybe the last like five or six years, and it is kind of cool to have a tree in the house. Yeah, you know, there's a whole debate versus like a synthetic versus real tree, what's better? You know, the real tree can decompose. The synthetic ones you can use year after year, but they're going to landfill, you know, So it's you know, wherever you land on what kind of tree. It is nice having a tree. I get it. You know, you can sometimes feel kind of left out if everyone's got a tree and don't. But I also think just Hanika, bushes just aren't a thing, and it's just too late to make it into a thing.
Speaker 3: Well, Jonah, do you remember when we were little we had Christmas stockings? Yep, and they were in like that living room area. Yeah, and then I remember one year Mom stopped doing it and she said, you know it was because Santa's not real and we're not Christian.
Speaker 2: Do you know the follow up to that? What I did?
Speaker 1: I know what I did, but I'd like to hear what you did first after you heard.
Speaker 2: That, Okay, No, I want to hear what you did.
Speaker 1: What I did was I.
Speaker 3: Immediately started crying, and Mom sort of tried to take it back, and she said because she could tell I was just heartbroken that she was telling me Santa wasn't real, et cetera. And so then she said, you know, like in the Polar Express that book, she was like, we're at the end they say, you know, it's real if you believe in it.
Speaker 1: And she was like, so it's real if you believe in it. And I was like, hey, Mom, too little, too late. Now what did you do.
Speaker 2: I have a fairly clear memory of this. I said, okay, and then I snuck down the middle of the night and put some socks in there, I remember, and came down the next morning and surprised there was no candy in my socks.
Speaker 1: That's so cute.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I remember was we always had to make cookies for Santa aka Dad. We always have to leave so many cookies in there. But yeah, I snuck down and I was like, I'm gonna put my my stocking down there and Santa's gonna fill it up, Like I don't care what mom and dad say. And then I came down. I was like, Santa's not real. And that was the day I became you know, that was that was Yeah, that was a day I grew up. Yep.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, Jonah that mom and dad were like Okay, there's Santa's not real.
Speaker 3: We're not doing sackings this year. And you're like you're like you're like yeah, yeah, yeah, cool, cool cool. You were like, he's obviously real. I'm gonna put my own sock down there, and he's always gonna put stuff in it. Like this is kind of like when we made a fake tooth out of paper and trying to get money from the tooth Fairy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean it's weird when you're in that in between age where you're like, I'm pretty sure this this like I'm not sure. This could go either way, like this could be real or it could be totally not real. This could be mom and dad, but it could be real. I don't know. I'm not exactly sure.
Speaker 1: I just jonah. I will never forget us putting that fake fluorescent paper, huge tooth and saying this is a dinosaur tooth. It's worth a lot of money, and putting it under your pillow and then getting this note the next day and us I remember us looking at the note but that was clearly from Mom from the tooth Fairy that was like nice, try, but you didn't get me, and us trying to be like wait, who's handwriting is that? Is that mom's handwriting, and then us being like, I actually think it's the tooth fairy's handwriting. That doesn't look like mom's handwriting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a it's an interesting time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so okay, I want to tell one more story, which is that one time I came home from school and mom was like, we're gonna make honka decorations. She was like, I feel bad that you don't get to decorate. We don't have a tree and you don't get to decorate, so we're gonna makeknica decorations. And that to me really made a difference. I I want to say, I don't think you necessarily need a hanukkah bush. You could just make signs with glitter, which I know parents out there going don't get you, don't don't get. My kids started with glitter. We're gonna have glitter gets everywhere. But okay, I like the spirit of this one. I just think this person could not have put less effort into This is two sentences long, and she says, even though a lot of us aren't hashtag.
Speaker 1: Jewish, we have a Jewish like.
Speaker 3: It just is a little bit like, could this person's spell out their case a little more clearly?
Speaker 1: I would appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I get that. Okay, So our last one is we need a candy cane emoji. Yes, this one has one hundred and fifty five signatures, so not bad. This one's to Apple and it says candy canes are great. They're an amazing way to spread Holliday chair and get a very important message across. Candy canes are meaningful to everyone who celebrates Christmas, and even people who don't celebrate can have them as a great snack. Without a candy cane emoj what's the point of even owning a phone. The whole reason I bought my Apple phone was to send the candy cane emoji to my friends. I refuse to buy another Apple product until this has changed. Candy canes also look cool, They're fun. I want to send to my friends please. So, Vanessa, what do you think about this petition for a candy cane emoji? There are multiple petitions on here about that really.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I'm shocked that that doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, me too, I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: I would say that I see this person's point.
Speaker 3: I do not totally agree that people who don't celebrate Christmas would have candy canes as a great snack. I don't think most people eat them as a snack. I think they eat them as a sweet candy dessert to celebrate the holiday. But I don't celebrate, you know, I don't celebrate Christmas really, and I love getting a candy cane, so I would say I see this person's point. I also like that this person gave it stakes like they weren't just trying to be funny, and they also said like, I'm not buying another Apple product until there's a candy cane emoji.
Speaker 1: And do I think Apple's gonna given any kind of a crap about that. No.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I like how this person was very genuine and made a good case for it and also said, you know what they're going to do if it doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: So I'm on board for this one. What about you, Jonah, I.
Speaker 2: Think candy canes are disgusting. I hear you.
Speaker 3: I actually kind of think they're disgusting too. I don't know why I said, I really like them.
Speaker 1: I like candy canes in like, have you had the Trader Joe's Peppermint Bark.
Speaker 2: No, but that sounds good. But that's a totally different thing.
Speaker 1: But it has candy cane pieces in Oh it does. Okay, sorry I didn't make exactly. I like peppermint flavored stuff, but I don't like candy can. Candy can's always seem like a good idea and then you get like two seconds into it and you're like, oh, this is just like yeahs, I don't want to do this. I don't want to do this. I started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's got too much toothpaste vibes for me. My wife last night we were talking about candy canes. She said, the blue ones are good. I think they're more of like a raspberry.
Speaker 1: Ooh that's fun.
Speaker 2: So that sounds good. But yeah, as far as your traditional candy cane, yeah, I mean callin this a great snack. That's tough.
Speaker 1: Tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone who's like, hey, can you want a snack, here's a candy can, I'd be like, uh, this is na snack. And then yeah, the idea of like this being the only reason you on a phone, I don't know. It's just like maybe you're not ready for this yet. Yeah, like maybe you're not ready to have a phone, if this is your number one criteria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 3: And you know, I just checked my phone because I still was in disbelief that it hasn't happened yet and there still is no candy cane emoji.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know. I mean, to your point, Vanessa and to this this person's point, yeah, it is surprising. I mean, there's so many emojis, Yeah, that you would think that it would just it's such a such a part of the holiday season that you would think they would have it in there. But you know, it's you know, I don't feel really strong about this one. If someone had, Hey, Jonah, do you want a candy can? Say no? Thanks? I mean I guess I was like super hungry because it's like it's just too sweet, it's too toothpaste y. It's just it's just not not sound like the Grinch here, but it's just not my my thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, i'd go, I'd go, excuse me, I'm a chocoholic. That's what I want.
Speaker 3: I want, all right, I'll take some chocolate over candy cane any day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But to this person's point, would be kind of a cute emoji.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, Jonah, now we're going to vote on which petition we would sign if we had to sign one. The first one is share the Wealth Santa, which is concerning sharing Santa's magic unclear. The second one is I want a Hanuka Bush again unclear. Like this person's trying to say we should all.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: This person, I think is just talking about in her own house. It's almost like a petition to her family, I think. But I'm wish she had clarified. And then the last one is we need a candy cane emoji.
Speaker 1: Now, my opinion of the second one just changed.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fair because it's it's so specific, and I feel like this person might be able to get done with a petition what they wanted.
Speaker 1: Now, Jonah, which one would you vote for?
Speaker 2: And this is actually really tough because I have no real strong feelings about any of these. I guess it's I'm going to go with a candy cane emoji, not because I'm a fan of candy canes, but just because it seems the most rooted in reality, and it's I get you know, if you're into candy canes, sure you should have this you can text it to your friend. You know, that's if that makes but to smile on your face. Sure, who am I to say no? But but you know I wouldn't sign this one, per se. I wouldn't stand the to pick one. Yeah, I wouldn't scan the QR code for this one to tell you that much. Vanessa, what about you? Which one are you?
Speaker 1: I was going to say the same one.
Speaker 3: And then when I was sort of looking at this one again, just now I realized this clearly gen Z person is she just wants it in her house. Yeah, it's just I want a Hanuka bush, and she's sort of it's almost like the petition.
Speaker 1: Is it made out to her parents? I just want to look really quickly and see it's made out to Oh, it's made out to her sorority.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, that changes it. That changes it once again.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you know what, and I think she wants you know, they probably have a Christmas tree in her sorority house.
Speaker 1: She probably wants a Honka bush.
Speaker 3: I think it has seventy seven supporters, probably all of her sorority sisters.
Speaker 1: So that's very nice. I'm going to go with this one.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go with this, okay, so yeah, believe it or not, do I wish she again she had done a better job of sort of writing a more clear petition.
Speaker 1: Sure, but that's not what we're deciding, so right. Wow Jonah, Happy holidays to you, yes and yours?
Speaker 2: Yea yeah, send happy holidays to you and yours as well. Thank you everyone for listening to that. We hope you learned something about Gremlins, you learn something about us, and maybe learned a little something about yourself in the process. Wow.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, really beautiful.
Speaker 3: Well that was really fun, Jonah, as you wrote, Thanks so much to both of us for putting together such an incredible episode. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye out for next week's episode. Again, we will be off for the next two weeks, but we will be playing some really incredible episodes when we were guests on other really fun podcasts, and then when we're back we will discuss more stories from our childhood, like the Holidays, Gremlins, etc. Happy holidays everyone, have a great new Year, and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Before the
Speaker 1: Hurri