Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now, really Hello, and welcome to Really No Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who want you to know that subscribing to our show would make a perfect holiday gift.
Speaker 3: Coincidentally enough, this episode is.
Speaker 4: All about the holidays and why so many families celebrate with extremely odd and bizarre holiday traditions. Perhaps the most famous bizarre holiday tradition is the celebration of Festivus from the television show Seinfeld, with which I believe Jason has some sort of passing acquaintance. The actual Festivus was created by Seinfeld writer Dan O'Keefe's father, and today Dan speaks about the true origin of the Festivus poll, the annual airing of grievances and the demonstration of feats of strength. He also reveals the many horrors of the real life celebration. So happy holidays, and here's jam in Peter.
Speaker 5: Now the holiday time and as you know, I am associated with a particular holiday. But what's interesting and are really that kicks it off is you. You shared with me that your research has shown that over twenty percent of people, over twenty percent of people say that their families have bizarre.
Speaker 1: Bizarre, unique holiday traditions, traditions, right, So that led us to, of course, the the most holiday, that is the most famous and the most bizarre, is made famous on my former show Seinfeld is Christmas. There's Hanka, there's the festive Us, the festival for the rest of Us, which was an actual holiday created by the father of the man who authored the episode. And that man is, of course, mister Dan O'Keefe's here with us today. Dan's a producer and a writer known for a variety of things Beavis and butt Head, Space Force, Veep, Silicon Valley, Drew Carry Show, and of course, most notably are Festivus episode on Seinfeld. And I am so delighted even though well I haven't seen her talk to in probably twenty years.
Speaker 5: Dan, welcome to the show, sir.
Speaker 6: Thank you Jason.
Speaker 7: I'm flattered to me invited on And to be fair, that was kind of close to the Festivus of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people do not know the argent. We'll find out the argent. But I did laugh when id that you were actually invited on different times to people's houses over the holidays who were actually observing a form of festivsts and didn't know that it was from your family.
Speaker 7: That has happened on a number of occasions. I am so far unanimous in my streak of saying no thank you. I'm sure I hope they had a lovely time, but wow, wow, yeah, that's happened a number of times.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: So the origin is not what people think right the way we laid it out on the show. I guess the origins of those ideas may be from what you and your dad, your family created. But what can you walk us through for people that don't know what your organic festivus was?
Speaker 7: My organic festivus was a living hell on earth that appeared at random throughout the year at an unspecified date. It didn't have It wasn't really December twenty thirty. It was whenever my father felt like it. One year there were none, one year there were two. And it arose out of the fact that my dad was basically a more feral Frank Costanza who spent thirty forty fifty years desperately trying to turn himself into Fraser Crane. He escaped from Jersey the Greenville ward of Jersey City, which at the time was sort of like a you know, a Southey, and he was the first in his family to go to college, and I think one of the first to finish high school, and got rid of his accident at Oxford and just decided to wash the stink of Jersey off himself with excessive amounts of education, including an obsession with the plays of Samuel.
Speaker 1: Beckett who Wow, There's a lot.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of Wow Wow, including and on his first date with my mother, he lent her a copy of the play Craps Last Tape. Now, in the play Craps Last Tape, it's an old man listening to her.
Speaker 6: You're a song and dance man.
Speaker 5: You're you're talking my language, Go ahead, an.
Speaker 7: Old man listening to tape recordings of a slightly younger man listening to recordings of a slightly younger man. So the original Festivus was indeed an airing of grievances, but it was an area of grievances in which my brothers and I were made to listen to recordings of my father complaining the year before, while listening to recordings of my father complaining the year before, and so on and so on, in a series of Russian nesting dolls. It was occasionally exhilarating. Most often there was There was a tremendous amount of liquor involved. I mean it was just in my Later in my life, my dad lost fifty five pounds by switching to light beer and started wearing suits from the fifties that fit him again. And it was like he dressed like Kramer. He was wearing these like ancient tipster vintage jobs. It was crazy. And it was my father drunkenly complaining into a tape recorder about the corrosive effect of internal Reader's digest politics, about how we had disappointed him during the year, about how my mother did not keep a clean house, about how his relatives were awful, which was actually kind of you know, not always incorrect. There was a lot of strange music that was played. He played of this record containing songs of the Irish Republican Army, but also weird the strange novelty pop records from Germany and Italy from like the forties, fifties, and sixties. They actually there's an Italian version of Alvin and the Chipmunks. That's the most terrifying thing I've ever heard in my life. The Chipmunks and the Irish rebels being hanged by the British, and the strange German accordion stuff and all over that a litany of complaints, and then he would encourage us to complain ourselves, and then when we complained too much, you would complain that we were complaining too much.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 7: It was a combination of alcoholism and borderline child endangerment that should have had the New York stands away and raised us in a facility. But at the time, you know, child protective Services just was not not up this enough in the New York area.
Speaker 6: So, uh, there you have it.
Speaker 1: So wait, that's your family. You brother would cry, you would cry. I mean it was. It was horrifying. And also had a clock nailed in a bag to the wall rather than a Paul right.
Speaker 7: Best of his poll is a By the way, I should mention I didn't author the entire episode. I wrote it along with Jeff Schaffer and Alec Berg, who arguably wrote some of the better stuff.
Speaker 6: But the symbol is not a pole. That was a Shaeffer joke.
Speaker 7: The real symbol of the holiday was my father took an ancient rusted alarm clock put it in like a burlapsed sack and then nailed it to the wall.
Speaker 1: And I don't know why.
Speaker 7: He never told you represent He would always say the same thing, that's not for you to know.
Speaker 6: And I don't know what it means, and I still to this day.
Speaker 7: And something about the e n s of time, of life, of youth, I don't know. I know that it was a wedding present that he and my mom got, so maybe it's something about their marriage.
Speaker 6: I don't even want to know. But oh, there was.
Speaker 7: By the way, another symbol of a festivus was a sign hand letter that read fascism that my father would tape to the wall.
Speaker 6: He wouldn't nail that to the wall.
Speaker 7: But the thing is that sign also came out sometimes at Thanksgiving and sometimes at Christmas.
Speaker 1: Wow, so I read that you said your dad was an undiagnosed bipolar also at the time, was this at least so this was there joy ever? Or was this always the storm that was brewing underneath for your dad?
Speaker 7: It was incredibly charismatic and brilliant, brilliant man, I mean. The New York Times compared his book, his thousand page Unified Field Theory of Anthropology, Psychology and sociology. He could compare it to Mark Starwin and Freud in their review, although not only people in Japan read it, but for some reason. But yeah, it was terrifying, but there were it was interspersed with moments of joy. He was very funny. He made it funny while it was happening. But for the most part it was It was mostly like they say, war is mostly boring with moments of terror, but that occasionally it's fun.
Speaker 1: Damn, damn God. And you didn't want this out there, that the story is your brother Mark right stil De means accidentally.
Speaker 6: We came to the realization very young.
Speaker 7: If you go to school elemlentary school and say, hey, we had festivusts this weekend, When when did you have it? People will look at you and say excuse me, and it will you will immediately be put on a more rigorous beating schedule. So we had a vow of silence that was semi formally taken, and I had literally blocked it out of my mind. And then Mark goes and opens his yap at a party that Jeff Jay for, aleck Berg, Dave Mandel, some of the executive producers, along with Jerry the final season of the show a party they were at and they were immediately excuse me, I want to hear more about this. So then I was lured to a diner called swing On On on Beverly and they sort of pinned me down in a booth. They sat, you know, around me, so I couldn't get out, and they said, we want to talk about Festivus and I actually hadn't thought about it in years for a reason. I was like, uh, oh, how did you hear about that? I'm really sorry you had to take up those brain cells with that information. And they're like, no, we want to put it on the show, and I said, no, you really really don't. You You're making a terrible mistake. This show is a is a perfect thing. This is the greatest common the history of television. And you want to essentially smear feces on it.
Speaker 6: You're mad. You're mad.
Speaker 7: Jeff Shaeffer, Alec Berg, Dave Mandel. But you know, as it turned out, I was dead wrong. Jerry wanted to do it, and they were completely right. Now there was It turns out there was a version that was consumable by a mass audience. I thought that it would lead to to not good things, but.
Speaker 5: And the stuff that was created for the for the television version of Festivus, that was all that was all sort of a mutual mind mold right the pole, the feats of strength, the airing of grievance is.
Speaker 7: The general negativity around it, the Georgia attitude toward it is taken from reality because they doesn't want to talk about it. What runs when his father brings it up. But the specifics of it did change. Now, the airing of grievances was the central tenet of the original. Yes, but and though there was always the implicit threat of violence from my father, there was not actually a wrestling of parental wrestling thing, Nor was there a poll that did.
Speaker 6: Come out of the.
Speaker 7: Rest the wait ratio with an alec Berg joke, the pole itself with Schaeffer, I think the twenty third to get a to get a head start on Christmas, I think that was Dave. People just filled in the blanks to put together a more palatable version of this, you know, remake of the Mosquito Coast that I lived And.
Speaker 1: Do you remember it? So? Do you remember? We want to get into what it felt like writing in the writer's room for signfel, etc. But do you remember being there when they shot that episode? What what what went through your head and what you felt emotionally watching this? What was that weak like for you? You know, here we are.
Speaker 7: It was like an out of body experience. And I remember thinking something that I hadn't thought since I left for college, which is, my father might actually physically murder me over this and.
Speaker 6: So, and I couldn't tell.
Speaker 7: If it was good or not, Like it's one of the things where you're right, And obviously that happens in shows that are not taken partially from your childhood. But in that case, what I was hoping was the following I was hoping that. I was hoping that Festivus would be left on the editing room floor. I thought, look, we have a there's a Jerry story, a George's story, a Cramer story, and a Laine's story. This is a Frank story, this is a fifth story. There's no way to survive the editing process. So I comforted myself by saying, it'll.
Speaker 6: All be fine.
Speaker 8: They're just gonna snip it around the edges and then they'll they'll come to their senses. They'll come to their senses. And they realized, no, we don't want to do this to the show. The show does not deserve this, America does not deserve this. But as it turned out, somehow they edited thirteen and a half minutes out of it.
Speaker 6: That that's how long it was, and they.
Speaker 7: Need to actually fit together in a way that made sense and was watchable.
Speaker 6: And I was surprised.
Speaker 7: And it's a testament to the editors and to the talent of the gentleman I mentioned, and Jerry's vision steering the show and as always and uh oh, man, if you remember shooting that scene the festive dinners.
Speaker 5: Around the table, what I remember vividly. I think there's probably I think this is available online on bloopers, but I can't remember the reason why. But Julia looked pretty draggled by the time she got to the table, I think like her hair was all matted down.
Speaker 7: And it was to parallel the girl who looked good in One Life exactly.
Speaker 5: And there was this kind of unsavory looking guy who was hitting on her at the table and he said something about you look great, and in total Julia Elaine fashion, she goes, oh, thanks, was like hell as much as Julia could ever look like el and she couldn't get through it.
Speaker 1: She could.
Speaker 5: The guy's face was so great. He was one of those great characters that they always found, and he did it perfectly. He did it like right on the edge of you know, you know, child rapist, and it was she just and that, and we did take after take and then then you.
Speaker 1: Know, God rest him.
Speaker 5: Jerry Stiller would get up and start going, I got a lot of problems with your people, and that we were That was it, we were done.
Speaker 6: I remember a couple of things.
Speaker 7: First of all, the guy you're talking about, he he was a He did a table access show in New York City, I think out of Brooklyn in which he reviewed pornography. He was an actual like like he was exactly who you think he would be, and he played that perfectly.
Speaker 6: I remember another thing, which.
Speaker 7: Was at the very beginning, I remember I remember all of you breaking every absolutely yeah, but at the very beginning, I think Julius said somebody to Jerry, like we get this in one take, I'll give you.
Speaker 6: A million dollars something like that. And needless to say, it took eight hours.
Speaker 5: She personally made sure that we weren't going to get in.
Speaker 6: I think I think it took eight hours to get the.
Speaker 5: Table, and I think that the guy that we're talking about the.
Speaker 6: Kind of you know, Bline Collin's sleezy friends.
Speaker 5: I think the guy who played his cohort on the show turned out to be Tracy Let's esteemed actor author and putt surprise.
Speaker 1: So let me ask a big question to clear something up that's been out there forever. So when people celebrate festivals, they try and emulate the meal, but nobody can actually figure out that there are no clear shot. People tried to freeze, frame it and whatever. So I've read about this portrayal. They're trying to figure it out. So what they do is they get Bopka from one episode, they get bagels from their marbles. But there are reports that there was let Us with what looked to be meal out on it on the table. What was do you do you? Does anybody know what the meal was? In the sign phone.
Speaker 6: Episode on the show, I'm pretty sure it was meat loaf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cleared it up for evereople.
Speaker 7: There was a there was a disagreeable, suspect looking meat loaf that was carved up before the scene and put on everyone's plate.
Speaker 1: There you go, I think, yeah, because nobody can identify for sure when they celebrate festivals at home, so they emulate by by by grabbing from different episodes. Like I said, the Bopka, et cetera for the meal, but you just cleaned it up now people who are festivates a meat loaf on lettuce, Oh my god.
Speaker 7: I mean the real thing was it was whatever the whatever we were having for dinner. It was usually you know, it was a holiday, so my mom made like a chicken or something.
Speaker 5: But what was the fallout from the episode within your family?
Speaker 6: My mom was real afraid to tell me.
Speaker 7: Dad, uh, Mark thought it was hilarious because he was not going to get hit by any of the bullback.
Speaker 6: It was all falled on me. My other brother didn't want any part of it.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: And then it came out and I had to tell my dad. At first he didn't understand, and then he got real mad like like like yeah, like very briefly like and he by that point he was slowing down. There wasn't so much of the throwing stuff mad level left, but he was very exercised. But then he saw it and he kind of liked it. And then people, you know, the reviews started coming. He started, and then he immediately became insufferably smug and thought that that episode retroactively justified every poor choice he'd never made in his entire life.
Speaker 6: He was, Oh, he was thrilled. He was over the moon. He was over the moon.
Speaker 1: So you would tell people, I'm the us. Shut him up.
Speaker 7: Ben and Jerry's made uh like a flavor. It was like burnt shirt caramel and Christmas Eve type flavors. And they sent a poster. My dad framed it and insisted on like hanging on the wall the kitchen in a place where it really didn't fit. So he was he was for the last do the last decade and a half of his life.
Speaker 6: For more. Could not have been prouder, could not have been pro.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the ice cream, so I just you know, I went online and I went to just Amazon and typed in Festivus related things, and here's what came up. Lots of poles. You know, by a Festivus pole, there's a board game. There were fireplace stockings, sweaters, mugs, treo ornaments, playing cards, t shirts, refrigerator magnets, and the ice cream flavor.
Speaker 1: Do you ever see anything from any.
Speaker 6: Of that.
Speaker 7: No, no, I mean no, no, I mean look, as far as I know the context of the show, the copyright to that holiday is owned by Castle Rock Communications and they're welcome to it. And as of right now, it's an open source Holidays. It's entered into the culture, which I'm I have mixed emotions about, obviously. But if Satanists want to protest against fascism in Florida by putting up a display with beer cans and putting the word Festivus on it in the Florida State House, which happened, Hey good.
Speaker 1: For you, just go for it was a phrase Festivus for the rest of us. That was a phrase that the family did use, right, and your daddy came up.
Speaker 7: With I have these tapes and they're actually in that filing cabinet and they were remastered to CDs a long time ago, and their tapes from every year, and in nineteen seventy six, that year, my dad, in the tape recording said this is a festist for the rest of us. What he meant by that was for the living as opposed to the dead, because that year my grandmother, Jeanette Marie O'Connor O'Keeffe had had a stroke in a supermarket in Jersey City and died. We don't pass away in my family, We died, and so that was what it meant. And I remember that, and I sort of spat it out without remembering the context. Then by the time it's in the script and it's actually working and we're past the table, I'm like, oh, yeah, actually about my dead Grandpa's not around.
Speaker 1: I always thought it was because.
Speaker 5: I actually thought it was true of your family as well, But I always thought it was Frankestanza's. You know, he was an atheist, you know, he didn't want to play into any of the religiosity. So it was a festival for the rest of us, you know who don't.
Speaker 7: Well, the original version was it was those of us who were alive as opposed to dead.
Speaker 5: Did your did the family either accept or pervert any other Holly? Was Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: Okay? Was Halloween?
Speaker 6: Halloween?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 6: I mean?
Speaker 7: Thanksgiving was weird, but it was recognizably Thanksgiving. We celebrated Christmas in a cultural way, no religiosity at all. So the answer is no, he didn't pervert any other holidays. But fest just wasn't the only made up holiday he had. There were weirder ones.
Speaker 1: Oh pray, tell.
Speaker 6: Fest just wasn't the only made up holiday he had. There were weirder ones.
Speaker 1: Oh right, tell, well, this is not this to start off.
Speaker 7: You know, the A very merry on birthday to you from uh Lewis Carroll.
Speaker 1: I am familiar with it, very peripherally, yes.
Speaker 6: From Alice in Wonderland.
Speaker 7: Whenever my dad did something so drunkenly, violently unacceptable or offensive or horrifying or just generally embarrassing that my mom was about to leave him, then whichever child was offended against would get an extra birthday. And that was called an unbirthday, and it was sort of a.
Speaker 6: Little birthday, but it was still It was called an un birthday.
Speaker 1: That was weird.
Speaker 6: It was and called the Polish Hour.
Speaker 7: And I hard to explain what the Polish hour was because he said it's time for the Polish Hour. What this meant was lights were again extinguished. The guy was really into candles. I don't know if he didn't have electricity growing up or something. But then he made my mother play Chopin's Polonaise on the piano, which had not been tuned in twenty years, and so it sounded really peculiar, kind of like this theme to Halloween when she tried to play it, and then he would deliver an off the cuff impromptu monologue looking back on this moment from the perspective of the future, like thirty years from now, remembering in the present what was happening, but refer to the town we lived in as the swamp, and it was just him pounding huge amounts of alcoholic beverages while reminiscing about things that either hadn't happened yet or were happening now as if they had happened in the distant past. There was definitely a whiff of Beckett of a crap glass tape to this too. But he just sat in this ancient stained yellow chair chanting this nonsense while my mom was forced to play this piece of piano music on an untuned piano.
Speaker 1: Even said you would come home and never know what was gonna happen on any given day.
Speaker 7: Pretty much, I mean we we Also there were classes after class, I mean we received additional schooling in One of them was quantum theory, but this was the late nineteen seventies, so they only discovered a few quarks. We didn't have a full quark component compliment. Yet there was a whole room of the house filled Florida ceiling with books about the Kennedy assassination.
Speaker 6: So this was what I came home, Yes, on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: But damn, what's amazing is to Harvard.
Speaker 6: You know it's amazing. You know it's amazing.
Speaker 7: This is something Jerry said after recounting one of these anecdotes. I think it was explaining festivals. It was a long beat, and then I believe it with Jerry said, why are you alive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Dan, I was gonna go the other way. The weird thing is, and I know there's alcoholism by personally bipolar disorder, but in a weird way, because you're so articulate, you know history, you're you're you're aware a limit, a grasp of want them to.
Speaker 6: That's tough affair.
Speaker 1: You're exposed to so much. Even though it was in a bizarre way. Here you went here, you went to Harvard, you ended up writing on major shows. So in a weird way, your father exposed you to a lot of stuff in a bizarre way that you were presented, but you turned out taking all of that in some way here, he said condescendingly, which means talking about Dan.
Speaker 6: No, it's there's definitely an aspect of that. Absolutely sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess to ping pong off of what Peter is saying.
Speaker 5: And I hadn't thought to even get into this because it's kind of a heavy question and you don't have to answer it. But I can't get a read on whether you feel like I mean, it's easy for me to say I loved my dad and I and I miss him and he was a big part.
Speaker 1: Of my life. Did you have.
Speaker 5: A relationship that you valued with your father or was it just too hard to define it?
Speaker 6: I mean it's complicated, but yeah, absolutely I love my father.
Speaker 7: He was that was It would have been easy if he had been monstrous and unlovable, but he was incredibly charismatic and brilliant, and it was talking his way into or out of anything.
Speaker 6: So yeah, actually, in the last like particularly the last ten years of his life.
Speaker 7: Actually, you know, arguably since the Festest episode came out, we were, you know, as close as you can get to someone that damage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wow. And the other thing that's weird is estensibly your bizarre holiday has been twenty seven years later, it still persists and it has become like for families that do it, it has become part of their culture. On our hip, we're doing a Festivus thing, it is culture celebratory.
Speaker 5: I mean, no one that I know that that you know, fools around with Festivus is doing it as anything other than a joy, fun, unique, something that they looked forward to.
Speaker 1: And it identifies that family as hey, we're fun, we're quirking, we're different.
Speaker 5: Hah.
Speaker 1: And they've taken the feats of strength and they do I read, they do weightlifting, they do all kinds of racing. They've taken it, morphed it into their family's own and it's pure joy for people.
Speaker 7: It's the watched videos of it, and you're absolutely right, it's it's joyful. And so in retrospect, not only were Jerry and Dave and Jeff and Alec right, they they sort of retro they sort of redeemed that unpleasant morasses of memory because now this thing that would have been something that you know, I tried to you know work through therapy, is something that now you know, literally dozens of people around the country are having a good time with.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So so they certainly.
Speaker 7: A lot of the poison has been taken out of it by it being now something that it's just just so strange that like a super like possibly one of the weirdest parts of a very strange childhood.
Speaker 6: Uh is now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's a word. It's the word that my dad made up is now out there.
Speaker 1: That's a wonderful thing. David. You have some insight because people are so fascinated still with scient fill Notts on Netflix and it's just the next generation watches.
Speaker 7: Well, actually, I would be I would be remiss if I didn't say was it was just the honor of my life.
Speaker 6: It was every day there was a joy. It was hard work.
Speaker 7: It was unbelievably hard work, as you remember, particularly that season when I did not have the benefit of working with with mister David. But uh, yeah, it was such a pleasure to work with you on that.
Speaker 5: Jason, thank you brother. I right back at you, and I it was it was. It was just one of those But.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask me, what was the writers What did it feel like. I've been in writers rooms and it gets very competitive. People don't want to laugh at your joke. Everybody's trying to please the showrunner to figure out what's in there. Had I've been in those kind of writers rooms, and I've been in kind of writers rooms where it's just a lot of fun, where people are just making everybody laugh and it's just a collective joy to do. What was it. What was your experience in the writer's room? It was a very competitive or.
Speaker 7: It was, Yeah, but everyone took it very seriously. This is the greatest TV comedy of all time, and we are tasked with doing this without one of the creators, and we better get it right because it's it's a It would be a crime and a disgrace if we didn't.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that people, it was unbelievably fun. It was uh uh.
Speaker 7: Making Jerry Seinfeld laugh in the room is uh you know, like particularly one time when he almost liquid came out of notice, like the birth of my son was nice.
Speaker 6: That was fun. I enjoyed it. But I got to say, seeing Jerry laugh like that, that was the moment. It was a joy. It was another joy.
Speaker 7: Now were there times that people possibly almost came to blows, Yes, because they disagreed about the the These were very very talented. I mean, you had Jennifer Crittenden, who I've worked for since then, who was a genius, and Alec and Jeff and Dave who have together created and run some of the greatest comedies in the last fifty twenty years.
Speaker 6: And Spike Ferston.
Speaker 7: I mean, these were all people at the absolute top of their game, and everyone cared very much about getting it right and not just getting it right and making it as good as it could possibly be. So most of the time people were laughing so hard that your voice was horsed by the end of the day. But yeah, sometimes there were very loud disagreements and Jerry would would you know, have to tamp it down?
Speaker 1: And did an episode start with an idea, with an overall idea or because it was a sitcom, we had to have four intersecting stories, which was unique. Did you start with with modular Hey, that may work better with this on this episode and moving stuff around?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, that sometimes did happen, But most of the time you just went into a room with Jerry and Jeff and Alick and Dave and you ran a whole bunch of ideas. Ideas for a capsule story that could be a George story. I got a free lance my first episode was season eight on the Pothole, which was Jerry not to his girlfriend's toothbrush and the toilet and then can't tell her and she's already brushed her teeth, which actually happened to my now wife and you when we lived in New York on the Upper West Side, and I had to tell her for literally years and years, I just thought of that that was what That wasn't a real.
Speaker 6: Thing, that was like a marvel.
Speaker 7: And then later once once she was already pregnant, she's nowhere for her to go, I said, yeah, you know that really happened. I threw your tooth, I threw the toothbrush away, and I subbed it out when it was too late.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you brush your teeth and the toilet water.
Speaker 7: So you'd throw stories out of them like that and they'd approve. And once you go out of Jerry, George and Elaine and A. Cramer proved, then you were set off to outline it. And it was a very intricate structure of there were big rooms for punch up because all the writers, and then there were very small rooms, which is just one person trying to put together that episode. They were going to write and getting stories approved by the the top people, and then there were rewrite rooms for somewhere in the middle, and then there were post table punch up sessions, which was again everyone. So it was incredibly well structured, and it had to be because you know, I remember at the beginning of production, Schaeffer said, Okay, uh, nobody's nobody make any plans for the weekend. And someone said what weekend? He said, all weekends. It was a little and he was damn he was correct, because right, yes, and and that's because the Jeff and Allen were, and Dave were remarkably talented show runners have continued to be, but the tone was set by Jerry. Because this his work ethic continues to blow me away to this day. I remember very specifically, we had a nine am rewrite on a Sunday and I got there a little early by accident, and he was there at eight forty five pacing because he wanted to get the work done. And brilliant, obviously brilliant, funny. You can't say enough about that. But he also doesn't get credit for being John Starks, for just working harder than any comic in.
Speaker 6: The history of comics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it had to be in the show and had at that then learn and do and and deliver.
Speaker 5: It is said, great to see you. I wish you. Uh this is our holiday show, so happy holidays to.
Speaker 1: You and your family.
Speaker 5: And uh and I am. I am truly delighted to see you. And it makes me feel like we should just sit sometime and catch up. But I feel that way about our whole group.
Speaker 7: But I love that anytime you just tell me where, I'll even go to the valley.
Speaker 5: I love that, WHOA said, even though it's the assumption that I was.
Speaker 1: And by the way, what's going to happen? You call and said, let's meet it in the valley? Who I was? I just say I was just saying that. I was just saying that on the podcasting Dan, Thank you friends.
Speaker 5: So can you imagine that that's a family that I thought my family had some quirks.
Speaker 1: I got nothing. You know, I was the father of those best family compared to that I was. I have all the stuff that I propeda how we go to different subjects. You all the stuff about bizarre things families do during the holidays. Yeah, no, guess what that? Wow? You know all holidays are bizarre?
Speaker 5: Do you like, I just did a little bit of research about some of the things that we equate with most of our holidays, and it's all like like fruitcakes. Fruitcakes is a big Christmas thing, you know, fruitcake, the first fruitcakes. Apparently they found those a weapon and know that, well, you would think they found them buried with the with the pharaohs.
Speaker 1: They were a thing to take to the afterlife.
Speaker 5: I think I had one in nineteen eighty two that came from that that batch Holly. You know Holly that they hang in the tree at Christmas? Do you know what it is? There to symbolize Christ suffering. The red berries are the blood of Christ when he leaves at the crown front.
Speaker 1: Did you know that? Yeah? You did know that, all right.
Speaker 5: Mistletoe do you know what that what that comes from?
Speaker 1: Mistletoe? Mistletoe was an ant for no idea.
Speaker 5: Mistletow is from a from a German mish would meet dung basically pooh and not to but tang means branch, so the literal when when you kiss somebody on the stuff under the ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 5: Halloween, people believe the dead souls would return on all hallows, even seek revenge on their enemies, so people would disguise themselves so that the souls could not spot them and take their revenge. That's how they're dressing up and the masks, and I mean it's all the Chicago River gets dyed every single right since nineteen sixty right, I mean, And you know.
Speaker 1: What that does? Give you a sense of your cities and families, a sense of their identity. And it is weird that Danny Sick holiday ends up as big as as been saying, Google, what do you got?
Speaker 3: Well, that is some strange holiday stuff.
Speaker 9: But I thought that we might want to go back a little bit older to some of the absolute first holidays in history.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean, like, oops, I made a fire day kind of thing.
Speaker 9: Here's when a Roman holiday which you probably have never heard of.
Speaker 3: It's called Saturnalia.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay, it's it was an ancient pagan holiday honored by the Romans and the god Saturn. Okay, so that's the whole thing, sure, which is Saturn is the god of sowing and seeding. So it was the solstice type of thing. But it took place somewhere between December seventeenth and twenty fourth, and there are a lot of similarities.
Speaker 3: Between this and Christmas.
Speaker 9: The festivities consisted of drinking, eating, lavishly, giving presents.
Speaker 3: Here's where it gets fun.
Speaker 9: Wealthy Romans paid for the destitute to swap clothes with them and like like do a like like a streaky Friday type of thing with like slaves in the destitutes. Normally the togas were white, they would often swap them out for colorful ones, a lot of times green and red, which of course later became oh wow.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, we got to wrap it up google him. But I will tell you something that's a part of it. We should write it the Roman guy swaps and now he's stuck and they don't believe that he's really the Roman guy, and he's the cheap Guy's got to go to there's your weirdest family tradition. What's the weirdest one? We don't do really weird. My family was weird every day. Yeah, But I think the fact that we had when growing up tradition with my father, it was equivalent of dan except there was a passive aggressive quiet. We never had a tree, we never had a Honick bush, we never had a Christmas thing. Whatever. Now we do everything.
Speaker 5: We celebrate every I harangued my parents along. I really wanted a Christmas tree, and they were like, no, we're not doing it with Jewish. It's not it's not a Christian thing. It's a pagan thing. It's it's just pretty. Why can't And they wouldn't go and they wouldn't go, and they finally when my mother brought in I will never forget. It was like a little miniature Bondzie tree, stripped bear of any foliage, painted white, and then they draped things.
Speaker 1: How big? How big about you know? A happy world?
Speaker 5: Was this sadest looking thing? And I went what? And And I have actually said to Dana, should we do it? Do we do a tree?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And I go, when did you become.
Speaker 5: Super jew that you're She's just adamant.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want that. We started with big stuff and every year it gots and I didn't. I didn't complain. We're not in the next door family where we used to live, as the one that you can see from space. What is that about those people who put up they spend They start in July and they put it up.
Speaker 5: We have two houses in our neighborhood. One does Halloween and one does Christmas and it's like a Halloween.
Speaker 1: Guy. I know, I spend thirty thousand bucks for you know, families. I told your family culture. Do you have anything warned that you do family preditioner that you hold no producer lay no, no, not David.
Speaker 5: Nothing celebrate anything, Laurie. Nothing congratulate.
Speaker 9: When I was a kid, we would, actually because my my father was Jewish and and my mom was Christian or whatever.
Speaker 3: So we did Christmas and Hanukah.
Speaker 9: Sure, and my dad was in charge of Hanukah, and of course he was in charge of the gifts and whatnot. Each night my brother got a little American tank and I got a Nazi tank.
Speaker 6: No, that's and we're out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you very much, gentlemen, whatever your holiday believes or traditions may be, Happy holidays to you from all of us here.
Speaker 1: And really really for following along.
Speaker 5: We've been on the air almost a year at the point that this will air, and and and happy.
Speaker 1: Lovely New Year and God bless yea everybody. Here's announcer. No, we'll see it.
Speaker 3: Now, really.
Speaker 4: Really no, really, this is another episode of really no really comes to a close. I know you're wondering, is there such a thing as a traditional Christmas witch. I can bet you know where this is going, but before I confirm or deny, let's thank our guests, Dana Peefe. You can follow Dan on x at djok underscore Er, and you can find us online at reallynoreally dot com. We're also on Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and threads at really No Really Podcast. Please check out our full episodes on YouTube. Hit that subscribe button and tick that bell so you're updated when we release new videos. If you ever really know really, let us know and if we use it, we will send you a thoughtful gift and thank you for listening, sharing, and most importantly, subscribing to our show. We release new episodes Really No Really every Tuesday, so make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts and now. Is there such a thing as a Christmas Witch? There is in Italy, where she's the Italian version of Santa Claus, call the La Befana. The ancient story goes that the Magi stopped at her house to ask directions on their way to visit the Baby Jesus. They invited her to join them on the journey, but she said she had too much housework. After they left, she changed her mind and tried to follow them, but couldn't catch up. So now she flies around seeking them out each Christmas. Much like Santa, she brings toys and goodies to children. Instead of leaving her milk and cookies the way people do for Santa, Italians leave out plates of sausage, broccoli, and a glass of wine for her.
Speaker 3: And with that, I'm up to Italy. Happy holidays everyone, from all of us to all of you. Really.
Speaker 4: No Really is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment