Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today. First, the latest from the Middle East. Shipping through the Red Sea has ground to a halt, with oil tankers and cargo vessels coming under greater attack from Houthi militants in Yemen. Now, the US is setting up a new task force to protect vessels in that vital shipping lane. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced the effort in a speech to troops in Bahrain.
Speaker 3: These attacks are reckless, dangerous, and they violate international law, and so we're taking action to build an international coalition to address this threat. And I would remind you that this is not just a US issue. This is an international problem and it deserves an international response.
Speaker 1: And Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin says that international response is called Operation Prosperity Guardian includes nearly a dozen other nations. Oil giants BP and Equinor are the latest to pause shipping through the Red Sea due to the Hoothy attacks.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan votes on aid to both Israel and Ukraine may have to wait until next year after Senate Republicans close the door on a quick deal on border security, and Bloomberg's Amy Morris has the details from Washington.
Speaker 4: Senate Majority leader Chuck Schumer had said a vote could come this week, but John Thune, the number two Senate Republican, says negotiators were not able to resolve sticking points during talks over the weekend and that a vote on the border deal is quote not going to happen now. While it's possible the parties can reach a deal in principle by the end of this week, that only tees up votes on the legislation by the first or second week of January. The Pentagon has said it will run out of money to replace US weapons sent to Ukraine unless Congress approves new funding before December thirtieth. In Washington, Amy Morris, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Amy, thank you. Elsewhere in geopolitics, the US is extending a truce with the European Union on steel and aluminum imports. Let's go to London and get the latest one that from Bloomberg's Un Potts.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Ewan, Nathan and Amy. The European Commission is to suspend RATTACH remeasures implemented during the Trump presidency for the next fifteen months. The truce on steel and aluminum imports avoids a possible return of billions of dollars of tariffs on trade across the Atlantic, but the EU says it has not convinced Washington to improve its current quota system. Today's announcement comes as the clock ticks on negotiations for a permanent deal on trade in metals. In London, I'm your imports, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Sright you and thank you. In Asia, the yen is slumping after the Bank of Japan stuck with the world's last and negative interest rate and left its policy rate unchanged and appeared in no hurry to remove its negative rate regime. Checking the en right now weaker against the dollar at one forty four point five to four.
Speaker 1: Nice for the US Central Bank Karen More. Fed officials are pushing back at market expectations for rate cuts. Three more voting members of the Fed's Policy Setting Committee are suggesting the talk of decreases in early twenty twenty four is premature. Bloomberg Opinion columnist and former New York Fed President Bill Dudley says there's a risk the market is wrong.
Speaker 6: The market may begin a little bit ahead of itself. This is how Paul thinks the world is going to evolve. Paul thinks the face to be cutting rates in twenty twenty four. But it's possible that the comic could be firmer for longer, inflation could be more stubborn, and the rate cuts might not actually turn out to materialist.
Speaker 1: For those words from Bill Dudley, Commas policymakers Lorettamester and Mary Daily said in separate interviews that markets were vetting on a pivot too early.
Speaker 2: Well in corporate news now, Nathan Apple is racing around the clock to implement a workaround after a patent dispute forced it to band sales of its latest smart watches in the US ahead of Christmas. The rescue mission for its seventeen billion dollar business comes after medical device maker Mausimo argued a blood oxygen sensor on the watch infringes its patents. Gene Munster, managing partner at deep Water Asset Management, says it's a major blow to Apple.
Speaker 7: Five percent of their total revenue comes from watch. It's growing at call it ten to fifteen percent year every year, which is much faster than the iPhone, which is basically flatish year on year and most important only as watch is kind of central to Apple's health and wellness initiatives. This device in innovating around the watch like this oxygen sensor is an important part of that story.
Speaker 2: Gene Munster says Apple plans to stop selling the prohibited watches on its website on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Well, Karen, another tech heavyweight is in the spotlight. Alphabet has agreed to resolve antitrust complaints from about three dozen states. We get that story from Bloomberg's Jeff Bellinger.
Speaker 8: The technology company will pay seven hundred million dollars and make changes to its Google Play policies. The changes will be designed to reduce barriers to competition among app distributors and payment processors. The state ags had accused Google of using anti competitive tactics that left developers no choice but to go through the Google Play Store to reach users. A tentative settlement was reached back in September. The latest filing says all fifty states have now joined the agreement. Jeff Bellinger, Bloomberg Radio, Jeff, thank you well.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg News has learned billionaire Carl Icon plans to launch a new proxy fight to take control of Aluminus board. That's after the company terminated at seven billion dollar acquisition of Grail. We get the story from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 9: Sources say Icon believes the board should be held accountable for pursuing an ill advised transaction. They say Icon could nominate as many as seven candidates for the currently eleven member board. The sources say voting on nominees would take place at next year's annual general meeting. Icon criticized a Luminus board in a letter after the announcement of the Grail divestiture plan in New York. Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: More global headlines in a check of sports. Up next, you're listening to Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: All right, Nathan, Thanks, it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris.
Speaker 4: Amy, good morning, Good morning, and Vice President Kamala Harris is ready to kick off a contentious election year with a national tour focused on protecting abortion rights. Harris has largely been the face of the White House on abortion rights. This stretch of events begins in battleground state Wisconsin on January twenty second, that's the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Critics say controversial border security legislation signed by Texas Governor Greg Abbott yesterday could lead to the mass arrests of migrants. The governor says the goal of Senate Bill four is to stop illegal entry into the US.
Speaker 10: For repeat offenders. That creates the offense of illegal re entry with a potential prison Senate's term of up to twenty years.
Speaker 4: The ACLU plans a lawsuit over the legislation. The judge in Donald Trump's New York civil fraud trial has denied the instant win that Trump was seeking. Bloomberg's Ed Baxter explains.
Speaker 11: In the denial, Justice Arthur Engern criticized that Trump defense and suggested the star witness was motivated by money. He said the motion ignored significant evidence of wrongdoing and rehashed old arguments, The justice saying the star witness proves that for a million dollars or so, some experts will say whatever you want them to say. New York professor Eli Bartoff was paid more than thirteen hundred dollars an hour for his work on the case. Totaling at least eight hundred and seventy seven five hundred dollars. Trump's Attartey say that justice ignored real facts for real participants in the real world. Closing Arguments, January eleventh, Ed Baxter, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: There remains some hesitancy about the COVID shot, but a new study show's parents are eager and willing to get their kids vaccinated against RSV. Doctor Simon Hayter at the School of Public Health at Texas A and M says it's because stories, rather showing the virus' effects, are all over social media.
Speaker 7: Every parent of a young child that's heard, I think a horror story of someone else's child getting really sick.
Speaker 4: Doctor Hayter's study found more than seventy percent of American parents planned to have their children vaccinated against RSV, but only forty percent tend to get their kids the COVID shot and the late Justice Sandrade O'Connor is set to be laid to rest today. The funeral for O'Connor will be held at Washington National Cathedral, where President Biden and Chief Justice John Roberts are scheduled to speak. She was honored at the Supreme Court yesterday, where she lighted Repose inside the building's Great Hall. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Amy Morris and this is Bloomberg Karen right.
Speaker 2: Amy. Thanks. So we do bring you news throughout the day right here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand, and that means whenever you want it. Just subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. You can get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot Com, plus apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John stash Hour John Carron.
Speaker 10: A couple of teams in need of victory last night. The Seahawks had lost four in a row to dropped under five under. The Eagles had lost their last two. Philly led ten to nothing, then seventeen ten in the fourth quarter with only twenty eight seconds remaining. A Drew Lock touchdown pass. He was playing for the injured Gito Smith twenty nine yards that Jason Smith and Jigba Seattle won twenty to seventeen. Jayden Daniels turning pro rather than returning for a final season at the LSU. He just won the Heisman Trophies. Expected to be a top draft pick. He also won't play in LSU's upcoming Bowl game in La. The Lakers hoisted a banner for winning the in season tournament, but since then they're one in three. Had an embarrassing loss to San Antonio, and they lost it home to the to the next one fourteen to one oh nine, and Lebron James in defeat twenty five points and his one hundred and ninth career triple double Wizard dropped a four and twenty two. They lost one forty three to one point thirty one at Sacramento. They're at least better than the Pistons, who have lost twenty four games in a row. They fell in Atlanta. Cade Cunningham did scored forty three points in the loss. Meanwhile, Minnesota tied with the Celtics with the best record in the NBA thirty two points for Anthony Edwards and a Timberwolves win in Miami. Eric Montross has passed away at the age of only fifty two. We got cancered just this past March. Help North Carolina with a national championship in nineteen ninety three. Was the ninth pick of the ninety four draft, blowing to the Celtics. Also played for the next and.
Speaker 12: Four years with the Pistons.
Speaker 10: John Stashiewer Bloomberg.
Speaker 12: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: Israel's war with Hamas is proving difficult to keep contained to the Gaza Strip. Attacks on commercial vessels in the Red Sea now have shipping in that key supply line now essentially ground to a halt. A halt on new aid to Ukraine in the US and Europe now has the West grappling with an idea that would have been unthinkable just a few months ago. What if Russia wins difficult geopolitics all around, and here to discuss it with US as Julie Norman, co director of the Center on US Politics at University College, London. Julie, it's good to speak with you this morning. But as I mentioned, it is getting difficult in the Middle East and in the war in Ukraine. How is this response to increased attacks on the Red Sea going to make an impact? Do you see a task force being enough based on what's been happening with shipping in that region?
Speaker 11: Sure?
Speaker 13: Well, thanks Nathan. Well absolutely, you know, most eyes have rightly been on Gaza, but the rest of the region has certainly not been quiet. And one area where that has not been is in the Red Sea, and we've seen that with literally dozens of attacks, mostly from the Huti group based in Yemen, on shipping through that extremely key waterway. So this is something that the US did have to, i think respond to. They are trying to avoid a larger armed conflict in the region. They're trying to avoid, you know, hitting back at the houties militarily, but they are trying to ensure that shipping can continue, that the international economy is not more disrupted than it needs to be, and that you know, both businesses and allies in the region feel safe with conducting business. So I think this is an important first step. It'll be interesting to see if it's enough, but they definitely needed to do something.
Speaker 1: Now what connect steps potentially look like With the kind of coalition that Defense Secretary Austin has said is going to be rallying around protection of the Red Sea, could it have an impact on the war in Gaza?
Speaker 13: Well, I think it might. I mean, this is really the task force is really to try and protect shipping, you know, mostly oil shipments, you know, a cargo everything that's going through the Red Sea, which is I think about thirty percent of world trade. So it's good to be important for that. I think in terms of the larger region, it'll be interesting to see. There's a lot of moving parts. One reason that I think some Arab states have been a little hesitant to publicly get on board with this is they are, I'm trying to fine tune their own and to a war going on in Yemen right now. So there's a lot of moving pieces that we're trying to keep in place. What I do think this will do is again hopefully try and contain the Huti's keep this from becoming a larger conflagration. But in terms of its impact on Gaza, I think that might be somewhat minimal. I mean, that's a conflict that's playing out in its own terms within the Gaza strip in Israel.
Speaker 1: I want to talk to you as well about the difficulties getting new aid to Ukraine pass. We've been focused on the negotiations in the Senate and of course in the European Union. There's been that stall out with Hungary's Prime Minister keeping European aid flowing in. What's the potential impact if Ukraine doesn't get this aid that it's been looking for before the new year.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Well, we know that Ukraine has been very reliant on the external aid, largely from the US, but also from other allies and including the European Union. So the fact that both of those sources seem to be drying up simultaneously does not bode well for Kiev. We've already heard reports today about having to redistribute some of the equipment that's already there, trying to rethink some of the plans. So again, this is something that I think Kiev knew might be coming. But with that said, it's going to be difficult for them to adjust to this militarily. I will say, Biden and the Biden administration, I think is still very committed to trying to get this aid through. It doesn't look like it will be through by Christmas, but it looks like negotiations will continue and there might be something on the table by January. But it is going to be a break in a little bit of a lull for Ukraine right now, and it's going to be very difficult for them to plan how to move forward without that.
Speaker 1: What about the potential impact on the battle. We know Russia's military has been pretty significantly depleted by this war, but it's been playing a strategy of waiting the West out. I mean there is a concern, isn't there among Ukraine's allies that Russia could wait the West out?
Speaker 13: Oh? Absolutely, I think that's an extremely Prussian concern right now. And it's true that Russia has weathered many losses, but they continue to just keep pushing people to the front, and they've also been very savvy and turning around their own domestic production to be able to fuel the war machine in a way that, of course just Kiv hasn't been able to do. So I would say that Russia right now is playing that hard. They're going to try and wait it out. They do obviously, like everyone that the US has elections this year, they're trying to wait that out too. So I think right now this is putin just waiting back and taking advantage of the situation, and the KIV is definitely on the back foot going into the new year.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 8: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again. Tomorrow morning. For all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak. The