Speaker 1: Welcome to the Therapy for Black Girls Podcast, a weekly conversation about mental health, personal development, and all the small decisions we can make to become the best possible versions of ourselves. I'm your host, doctor Joy hard and Bradford, a licensed psychologist in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information or to find a therapist in your area, visit our website at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com. While I hope you love listening to and learning from the podcast, it is not meant to be a substitute for a relationship with a licensed mental health professional. Hey, y'all, thanks so much for joining me for session three thirty eight of the Therapy for Black Girls Podcast. We'll get right into our conversation after a word from our sponsors introducing our new Therapy for Black Girl's holiday gift collection. Our new ensemble of drinkwaar totes, journals and sweaters were made to remind you of the importance of centering your mental health. Purchase your tvg gifts at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash shop. Happy holidays, y'all, remember to take good care and give good gifts. As we eagerly anticipate the upcoming musical adaptation of the Color Purple. I'm sure I'm not alone in deciding to rewatch the original film in preparation, and whoa, I'm so glad I did. From the iconic sisterhood between Celi and Nettie, the show stopping beauty of sug and the lessons we learn in trauma and resilience, it's clear why this film still resonates with so many of us today. I spent some time for this episode with TVG's community assistant Naisha, to discuss our memories of watching the original film, our favorite characters and moments, and what we're looking forward to in the upcoming adaptation. If something resonates with you while enjoying our conversation, please share with us on social media using the hashtag TVG in Session, or join us over in the sister circle To talk more about the episode. You can join us at community dot therapy for Blackgirls dot Com. Here's our conversation.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you so much for joining me again today, Niasha, Doctor Joey.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to get into the subject to the topic. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's always so fun to have the team with me to chat about things that are happening in pop culture. We were last chatting about the Renaissance. So many of you will remember Naisha from that the Nation. If you would just introduce yourself and tell people which do on the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hi everyone, I'm Naisha. I'm the community assistant here with TVG and I helped run our sister Circle and I'm so grateful for the TBG community.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So we are both anxiously anticipating the release of the Color Purple film that would be coming out on Christmas Day, and so we took this opportunity this week the past couple of weeks to rewatch the original. So I'm curious to hear from you now you show what were your memories of watching The Color Purple the first time?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so I was young, unfortunately. I remember the just the tough moments, the rough moments, and of course, you know, social media popularize the negativity and it's so crazy. I remember when I saw Seay spitting in a cup and I was like, that is so bad. Why would she do that? I thought it was a family member she was talking to, and I was like, why would you do that to a family member? So, just like the small clips and then you know the things that are on social media. So I'm so happy I took the time to watch it again.
Speaker 2: I don't remember how old I was when it originally came out, but I don't remember like fully seeing the film in its entirety. I feel like I saw bits and pieces here and there. I think it used to come on BET pretty frequently, and so I think I would catch clips, but I don't know that I had ever sat down to like watch the film, and so, like you, I took the opportunity to watch it for the first time in a long time, I guess, and it was really struck by the storyline. And you know, again, I had seen like some of the more popular clips and those things that people repeat very often. But it was very interesting, I think, to see the film in its entirety, especially as an adult. Okay, so, since you watched the film recently, if there was one clip or scene that you feel like was really memorable for you, what would you say it would be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, as I was watching it, the part when shook Avery came and mister was just enthralled by her being in his presence and he was trying to cook and this is when Seeley sat down. She was like, mm hm, you're gonna try to work that catchen yourself. I ain't doing or nothing. And I feel like that was her moment, so like she knows. She's like, I got this, I know what I'm doing, but now I'm gonna look at you. You're treating someone else way better than you treated me, so let me see what you can do about this. And then it was so funny he grabbed the keroscene because he couldn't light up the stove and she was like, oh, I'm out of here. And so that overall that moment, and again I've seen that on social media with her just smiling, but since I had not seen the film and so long, I didn't really remember what that was symbolizing. So that was just her moment like you know, you're not as powerful as you think you are. That's how I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I feel like Shug was also part of one of my favorite clips from the movie. One of my favorite scenes was her singing the song to Seely and the Duke Joint.
Speaker 4: I guess right.
Speaker 2: I just thought that was a really beautiful moment and an example of her rely seeing Seely for who she was. I feel like only in her experience with Shug was she really seen as an individual since she had been separated from Neddie, and so I just.
Speaker 4: Said that there was a beautiful point of pen for them both.
Speaker 2: It definitely seemed like they got off to a rocky start right when she first was introduced to the family, but then seeing how their relationship grew and how she really had admiration and love for her by singing that song, I thought it was just a beautiful moment in the film.
Speaker 3: Agreed one hundred percent. And as you mentioned, you know, it was a little rocky, but sug Mansion. She was like, I was just jealous of you because you were with mister also known as Albert, which I thought was also funny. She was like, Albert, who's this? So she was just like, it's all love. I was just jealous, And you know, of course, coming off of the highest sisterhood heels out such of this later on. But the movie was full of sisterhood, and I didn't realize that. I only took away the negative parts because of course the media and social media, but everything was just love through black women, and I'm so grateful I got to experience that now, and I'm excited. I didn't think I would be leaving my house on Christmas Day, but maybe if I got right, maybe.
Speaker 4: You gotta check it out. You gotta check it out right.
Speaker 2: So one thing that I did want to check in with you about just to see what you made of this moment. So when Shu gets first introduced into the film, it seems like she is like in her room as a recluse for a couple of days, which to me pointed to maybe some mental health concerns going on.
Speaker 4: What did you make of that?
Speaker 2: What did you think was going on there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So immediately when she came in, I'm like, oh my gosh, she got off tour, she had a rough night. I was just giving her the benefit of the doubt. But when Mssu's dad came in the picture, he was like, what are you doing with her? Nobody wants her. So then it made me put it connected together, like she's just she needs a moment to recoup, she's trying to find herself. She's always on stage. Is that truly her character on stage? I was making this up in my head, but just because we don't have we didn't know behind the scenes of her life. Truly, we were just going by what the rumors were within the town. So made her moment and then Ceely was happy to take care of her because she was showing her love. And that's kind of when their relationship as far as sisters began.
Speaker 2: Right right, So what did you think was the story behind why her and mister did not actually get together? Because it seemed like she was interested. You know, I think she made a comment about if I would have married anybody, it would have been him. And clearly he still has this like un dying love for her and like really sees her as.
Speaker 4: The one that got away. So why do you think they didn't.
Speaker 2: Ever actually get married or get together?
Speaker 3: And this I didn't even think about that when she did come back with her husband, obviously you could tell this this guy who's I don't know, has more money than mister. I'm not sure, but maybe mister had he had a bunch of children, He had a bunch of children, you know, he had his wife. Maybe because he has so much children here, you know, who's gonna watch his children? And also he was that's the parent in me. But he was also so interested in other younger women. He was going to church and when he was ay and Nettie, I don't feel like he wasn't on the level that she needed. And she's like, but don't worry, I'm going to come back for you. This is what I have in my mind. She's like, I'm going to come back to you and we'll figure it out from there. Maybe got it, got it.
Speaker 2: So we talked about some of our most memorable kind of scenes. Who would you say is your favorite character from the Hill?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Miss Sophia. Miss Sophia. She wasn't having it. She wasn't having it when someone hit her, when someone made her upset, and the whole town was like, oh goodness.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: So when she went to slap the white woman, the mayor's wife, I thought she wasn't going to do it, but she was like, no, how dare you? Hell no, so sorry. She didn't slap the why she punched her husband because he slapped her right, thank you. And I was like, you did it. You said, you know you're going to stand up for yourself because you had to. You know, all my life I had to fight. And she just kept going. So then we saw her in jail, we saw her come out, and we just we saw her story more than I remember. And then of course toward the end, as his father says, the dead has risen, and I laughed because I'm like, oh, snap, here she is. And she was ready to rekindle that whole household for the children and help them and then help Harpo, you know, just keep his duke join going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sos. Sophia definitely was my favorite in the film too, And like you, I hadn't remembered her having such a central role in the film, I think because we mostly see neddie and Seely in like clips, and so I didn't know that Sophia had such a big role. But I love that she came in at a time when it clearly was not okay for like women to have their own thoughts and opinions, and that was like negatively but down on. She came in with a very clear sense of who she was, which she brought to the table and the words people used today, And was really looking to Mary Harfall because she genuinely wanted to be with him and thought that it was going to be like a blending of their families, right, and you know, you can see Harfal getting all this awful advice about like how to treat her and how to tame her so to speak right, and so it really did feel like there were several people Seely included because of how she had been treated, thinking that to tame her and to break her spirit, the only way to do that was through hitting her. And so I love that, even during that time when it wasn't okay for women to be as assertive as she was, that a character like her was a part of the film. Now, sadly we saw how she was treated because of that, but I did appreciate that they showed her coming in with a strong point of view and a strong vantage point. Then, like you, it feels like sisterhood has been a few.
Speaker 4: For there before Black Girls.
Speaker 2: This year with the book coming out, the sisterhood between Seely and Miss Sofia, I thought was really strong. I think we saw it in moments when she and Harper were still together, but definitely when Miss Sofia had been released from jail and they had this interaction in the store and Seely helps her to like get the shopping lists together, and then we see that carried out and you know, the ways.
Speaker 4: That they took care of one another.
Speaker 2: It felt like throughout the rest of their time together, and so I really appreciated Miss Sophia as a character, but also the relationship that she had with Seely.
Speaker 3: And it's so funny when you talk about the store scene. It reminded me in Sisterhood shameless plug here when you said when a parent is in the airport and if a black woman is there, they got you. They're going to help you out, your daughter or your child. You know it's gonna They're gonna be well. So she was in the store. This is when her eye, like when you know, when she came through left jail, her eye was just like totally damaged. And Celi saw her in the store trying to squint and read the list. She was like, I got you. Don't worry. I got you. And then when it got in the car, you know, after shopping was done and she signed to her, she was like, keep your head up, and I was like, yes, she's there for you, She's there. And I really enjoyed it, and I didn't even remember that at all.
Speaker 2: So I think there have been lots of conversations just around, like lots of old classics, like the color purple kind of getting remade and people have been different feelings, but you know, the color purple is one something that feels like it has stuck with people for a very long time. Like people feel very moved by the original and by the musical, and now even the early reactions that we're hearing from people who have got a chance to see that the movie have really really enjoyed it, and it sounds like they're a fresh thin What do you think has really made the color purple something that has stuck with audiences for so long?
Speaker 3: The character seeing Oprah and of course Whoopy and where they are now where they began, because literally that was the movie for her and she didn't think she was going to get the role. She thought she was too fat for the role of Miss Sophia, and she got that role. And that was back then, and I look at her now so that you know my thoughts. It's the characters and you know, just seeing Whoope go and just level up in so many different areas. She still has her opinion as herself, but that is what made her and because of them, that's why black culture is so strong. It's because you can start from one place and then pivot into so many different businesses and ventures and you know, help the COMMUNI in a variety of ways.
Speaker 2: I think about and again, because we both don't have the greatest memories of seeing it in real time, it definitely feels like it has probably been so impactful to people because it probably was one of the first experiences of black women's stories and lives being shared on the big screen in that way. So I think that there's something about out seeing yourself on film in that way that I think really is memorable and impactful for people. And I think a lot of people have sadly connections to.
Speaker 4: These characters because there are.
Speaker 2: Often histories of assault in our families, or women being talked down to, or you know, kind of all.
Speaker 4: The fighting that women have to do, right.
Speaker 2: I think that's why the line of till you do right by me, ain't no good go come to you is often something that we find ourselves repeating, right, because I think a lot of us have felt in those ways, maybe not the same exact experiences, but I think that there are lots of experiences in many of our lives that feel similar to what we've seen depicted in this movie.
Speaker 3: And I wish doctor Jack and asked this question to both of my grandmothers. One grandmother, she saw it on Broadway and she with Fantasia. She was so excited. She had the playbills actually signed. I believe I have it in my garage. But I would wish I could ask her that question, like how did you feel seen the movie and how did you feel seeing the Broadway show? And what do you think it did for black culture? Not even that. I would just ask for that, just to keep it simple, because she will probably say, our stories are being told on the big screen in nineteen eighty five, You know, I would love to ask that.
Speaker 5: Question more from our conversation after the break.
Speaker 2: Something else that I think was impactful and I think memorable is that the relationship between Sugar and Sealy, I feel like was one of the first experiences we saw of like a queer relationship between black women on film. Why do you think that was so important?
Speaker 3: It was nineteen eighty five. We brung this up in a sister circle. You were not walking into your mother's house saying that I have an interest in a woman and still be there. Possibly a large majority of women would not be able to share this with their father, their mother, or their grandmothers. So just seeing it on the screen and show the equality in the beginning. It was a hint. And I also believe it wasn't a romantic relationship. It was like a passionate loving like, you know, you even want to hold when we're best friends, we want to lock arms with our best friend. I think that's how I saw it. I didn't really see it as a romantic even a sexualized relationship. I didn't see it like that. It was just a loving situation. Even we saw when Nettie and Celi were reunited, they kissed on the lips, they loved each other. It was just like, thank you, I'm feeling braced, thank you, I'm so happy to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I agree with you. And I think though what it did for Cealy, like should kissing her and then having that exchange the way that they did, it feels like it did unlock something for her in that clearly there had never been these loving feelings towards mister right, like that was not at all a loving relationship. And so it does feel like the experience which should really opened her eyes to somebody can care for me in this way, and like I can have this kind of connection with somebody else.
Speaker 4: But you know, and I think that was.
Speaker 2: Really depicted well on film, when she was planning to leave with Sugar and then like when that moment doesn't happen and she just passes out in the street, right, So I really think she was holding on to that moment to feel something, because it does feel like again. Jake was the first person I think that had really seen her in that way since the connection between her and Eddie had been lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was tough for her, she said she passed out. She was I was like, go ahead, get on and get in the buggy, get on the go ahead, go and she couldn't. But then, just because of course we know the timeline, I was like, it's okay, y'all gonna be reunited. I didn't know how they will be reunited because I didn't remember, but you know, eventually it came about.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that your grandmother saw the musical. Have you seen the musical?
Speaker 3: I did in New York. I saw it three times on Broadway. It's so crazy. I saw with Jennifer Hudson as Shook Avery and I'm in New York and so I used to we stood in line with one of the cast members from The Color Purple who played mister I don't remember his name, but I feel so bad, but he was like, you're gonna enjoy it. And we stood in line early in the morning. We got orchestra seats for like fifty bucks, and I did it three times and we enjoyed it, and we had a talk back session with Jennifer Hudson. It was fabulous. My wife is a big fan of Jennif Hudson and The Color Purple and she didn't even see Beyonce at all, but she's like, I'm going to see The Color Purple.
Speaker 2: She's not in her renaissance.
Speaker 3: This is a renaissance.
Speaker 2: I love that. So I have not seen the musical, so I am curious to see, like how the musical is going to be different from the film. So what can you share about your experience with the musical and how it was different from then what you saw in the original film.
Speaker 3: When Celia had a pants shop in the musical, it was a big galore, like it was. They made a big, big thing about it. So you saw Ms. Sophia and Harple they tried on pants, but like the women of the town, everyone had their size. Because one size fits all and it was just so happy for her. So they made it bigger in the musical. And then also obviously when Shook Avery was performing, that was a big thing. For sure. It was musical, so it was it was orchestra and it was music, and it was everything there here. It was like she didn't have no mic. This is what they had. It was just her singing. Obviously it was a great performance, but everything was just so much bigger. So this is what I look forward to. And even seeing like you know, interviews and clips Shook Avery, you know, she was it, so I looked forward to seeing that and I'm here, Fantasia Brino is singing I'm here when Seeli left, she was like, I'm here and not maybe ugly, I may be a woman, but I'm here. That was totally different in the musical. That was the song we were standing ovation. So again I look forward to that in the musical the revamp, and then Fantasia also said that was the hardest part of the movie for her. We were in the sister circle. We were watching an interview with them and they were like, what was the tough moment? And of course they shared the labor you know, being up standing up late, but Fantasia said that was hard because it really hit her and her cast members all worked so hard together to bring that to life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really excited to see musical version, and I'm curious to know whether I will like that one better or not, because I do feel like the film it feels like a very heavy, serious though there are morements of joy and like love and that kind of thing. It felt like it was done well on film, and so I'm curious to see how that translates to the musical version. So I want to know what that's going to feel like, if it's going to have that same feeling of seriousness, or whether the tone will change a little because it's more music added.
Speaker 3: And the benefit of people who cannot watch the film. I know a couple of people who could not watch it because it was so heavy. I hope the musical adaptation helps them and I don't want to say enjoy it, but be able to just actually sit down and receive such a wonderful project because this is what it is like. It really set the stone for black women's stories, so I hope it gives When someone shared that with me, I said, I hear you, they could not watch it because it was so heavy, and that was a different experience for me.
Speaker 5: Right right, More from our conversation after the break, So.
Speaker 2: We know that for the original film was directed by Steven Spielberg, there was lots of criticism of course him being a white man. And so this newest adaptation is directed by the Gdanian filmmaker Blitz Basawulee. So what do you think will be the different vantage point that he will bring to this film that, of course, Stephen Spielberg was not able.
Speaker 3: To goodn'tess gracious? I thought it would be an easy question, But that's a little tough because I feel like Steven Spielberg was such an ally because of the film that he put together. And that's hard, doctor, I'm not gonna lie to you. That's a little hard outside of just updated scenery and more things for the cast to work with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also find it interesting that I don't know who did the first Broadway adaptation, but it's interesting to me that both of these have been like none of them have been black women, right, And so it's interesting that I'm sure Blitz of course has a very different advantage point than Steven Spielberg does, But what would it look like for the story to be interpreted through a black woman's eyes, and like, what might they do differently? I think would be really interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Oprah had a really big stamp on a good portch because people want to honor her character as well as Whoope. I'm not sure how much will be attributed to the direction portion. I don't think much, but I know Oprah she was a part of behind the scenes very much so, so right, it's them together in my eyes because I was looking more of it on Oprah Sam.
Speaker 4: Very good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has clearly been very involved in the promotion of it, for sure, and I'm sure in making sure that the film kept the spirit of what they wanted to share. So we've already touched on this a little bit. But there are clearly some very big, heavy hitters that they've casted for this new adaptation. So Hayle Bailey, isn't it her? We already talked about Fantasia Danielle Brooks, So.
Speaker 4: Who are you I was looking forward to?
Speaker 2: You said you liked the Fantasious song on when you saw it on Broadway.
Speaker 4: Are you looking forward to that again or something else.
Speaker 3: So, oh my goodness, Daniel Brooks. She did such a great job as Sophia on Broadway, and I pulled up the cast really quick because I was looking. I was like, where does her come in? She's squeaked. I'm looking forward to it because I've never seen her perform. But I don't want to be biased, but the top three characters Miss Sophia, Nettie, and Sealy Shuck. Avery was Jennifer Hudson on Broadway, but definitely Taraji. I haven't seen her in this role. She's always well, yeah, she's always a headhunter in some type of way, but just being you know, just being in another role. I'm excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm excited for all of it.
Speaker 2: Like I said, because I have not seen the musical, I think the casting has been superbed. It feels like great choices for the cast, and I really am enjoying seeing how the cast has grown as a family unit. It feels like in a lot of ways through the press runs and I'm sure through the filming. I I'm so so excited that the strike is over because people are getting paid with their worth and that the writers seem happy, and that the actors seem happy. But I'm also really glad that we're actually getting to have a pressure run for this film, because it feels like it deserves to have that base to really be celebrated and for people to get really excited about it, and so I'm really glad that we've been able to kind of see them do the interviews in the traditional ways that we typically see the actors do pressure runs. So I don't know that there's any one person that I'm excited about seeing. I think I'm just excited to see what the musical version feels like versus the film adaptation.
Speaker 3: Undred percent, and I look forward to seeing the nominations. They already got some nominations. I said, Wow, that was behind the scenes we didn't even see, right, right.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I guess I don't know enough about how timelines work in terms of stuff being insered because it isn't out for the public yet. But maybe because they'd had so many advanced screenings it qualifies. I guess. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't sure, but I was like, Okay, good for them. So I'm looking forward to more because this is to just put the step up above for all the cast members. And I wanted to touch on something I was in the Sister circle. We were looking at three different interviews together. Daniel Brooks said, you know, she definitely came about on Orange and Black cheers. I'm so happy for her, and I was an extra Orange and Black for a couple of seasons. So seeing them, it's like great, Like now so her, they're so hor on Broadway and now I'm going to see her here again. She said she felt like an imposter when she was nominated for which was it a Golden Globe?
Speaker 4: The Golden Globe.
Speaker 3: Nominated for a Golden Globe. She said she called out the next day sick because she was nauseous, and Oprah said why she was like, because I thought she was like she had imposter syndrome. And again in the Sister's Circle, we were like, it's not just us. Celebrities have it too, this is not just us. I'm happy she shared that with us and being what she was vulnerable. It was an interview with Oprah and Gail and the rest of the team, and it was like, wow, you know you got this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hadn't seen that interview, but I appreciate you sharing that because you're right like I do feel like with every new level, some of that same doubt creeps in, Right, So it's like, Okay, I've done smaller things and maybe I feel comfortable there, but now clearly her platform is much larger, her star has risen much higher, and so she's introduced to a whole new audience of people.
Speaker 4: And so I think it.
Speaker 2: Is normal sometimes said that, like, oh, do I really deserve this, or do I really.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm doing?
Speaker 2: But again, from all of the early accounts I have seen, people have loved it, have loved the cast, They have really appreciated the adaptation, even though it was already adapted into the musical. I think this is another version of an adaptation, and so it feels like they've done some really cool things with it. And so I'm just really glad that they are being celebrated in the ways that they deserve for again having a black woman's story, a story about black women that really censors I experiences in the limelight in this way, I'm.
Speaker 3: So excited for them. We had Beyonce, we got the color purple. Let's top up the charts. Okay, so just to see, you know, our faces and the theater is at this level. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I'm thinking about is are there other films maybe from that eighties early nineties genre that you think or do for the remake or some kind of new adaptation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if Beal Street could Talk, If Bill Street could Talk, one hundred and over was in that. But because again, the sisterhood and just the stories that were told on Beal Street, let's bring it back and doctor joy. Let's see if this is going to really come, if it's going to happen, because it deserves too, because black women hold one another down, and sometimes I feel like, you know, with reality TV, we don't honor it so much, we do hold one another down. We see the negativity very often with reality TV shows sometimes. So I'm like, let's see the joy of black sisterhood. So if Bill Street could talk, in my mind, that would be a good one.
Speaker 2: See I think mine would be waiting to exhale. And I feel like we've had versions of it right and I feel like even Insecure was a little bit of this, But Insecure was a sitcom, so we got twenty twenty five minute episodes. I would love to see a longer version of what would those four women look like if they were placed in the twenty twenties, right, and how would their relationships be. While I think there are opportunities for us to kind of remake some of our Black women classics, I also hope that other films get an opportunity to be made right because new stories are also important, right, And I just think that there's so much to say from the black women's vantage point. There are so many things that I think have gone unexplored about the interior pieces of our lives that I really hope get some new shine so that there can be more, like there can be more of a celebration of the fullness of who we are as Black women, and not just like only the pieces about trauma or only the pieces of our relationships, but but you know, all the things that I think really go to make up our lives.
Speaker 3: I'm ready, like overall, when it comes to a Black woman on screen, I'm excited. Like I remember when The Other Black Girl came out on Hulu. Everybody's on it. Now I can say not everybody enjoy it all, But I'm happy that we had the chance and opportunity. And I feel bad for saying that, but just.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing. I think when there is more of the stuff made, then it's okay for us to say like, oh, we didn't like this as much, right. But I think because we are so protective of the few things that we have, it feels like you don't want to like say like, oh, I don't know that I love that so much. But I think that's why we need a variety of So it's to be told because everything is not for everybody, right, And so with more stories being told, then we can have an opportunity to see ourselves and have content that we really enjoy.
Speaker 3: Thank you for making me feel better about that, because that's what it is. It's like, no, but since I got you, but it wasn't really my realm. But I know there's so much more common, So I'm ready let's do it.
Speaker 2: So we've touched on this a little bit, but I am curious to hear if there are any other sisterhood moments that felt really poignant to you from the color purple that you want to make sure to highlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so again, going back to Sophia when she was like it was time for her to leave harpall all the women and they didn't have really speaking roles. All the women, they were getting her children. And then when she was let go from jail and she got to go visit her family for like an hour on christ not even it wasn't even an hour on Christmas, and they were all there and welcoming her, and it was like, this is that sisterhood they got one another. And then when we saw shook Avery. I know, I'm jumping around when we saw Shook Avery, of course to show that Ceely she got it within her, she can literally live up to her potential. That was like boom sisterhood. And then we saw that all of them were in the house at the end when Nettie and Celly were reunited, it was like, look at all this. I want that picture on my wall because that was something like that. I'm like, come on, that is just joy right there. And we see snippets of individual experiences they had outside of the woman who were helping miss Sofia, which I thought they were very important to the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I think that dinner scene when Celia feels like finally finds her voice, right, like she's found all these letters that Neddie has written her. There clearly she didn't know that all of that was still happening. She didn't know that all these letters have been hidden from her and once she is able to read those through Should's assistance. Right, I really feel like that set off this beautiful domino effect because I feel like Should was somebody who had the opportunity to kind of lean into the fullness of who she was.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: She was able to step into her gifts and go on tour, which means she had been exposed to lots of different things, whereas Celia, it feels like, had never left her really small town, had not gotten the opportunity that she was able to come back and share a little bit of that with her, which then allowed Celi to speak up at the dinners, And then we see Harpo's then wife beside like, Hey, I want to go be a singer too, Like I have gifts I want to share.
Speaker 4: And so to me, it just.
Speaker 2: Reminded me of how important it is for us to share our experience and share our voices in the interest of like sharing our own stories, but also because we never know what it is unlocking for someone else. Right, And so I just felt like that was a beautiful kind of domino effect of you being who you are so that other people feel emboldened to be who they are and just step out on faith in those same ways.
Speaker 3: Yes, I realized there was so much in the movie. I didn't even like think about that to you know, share that. So when you share, that made me think, oh my god. It was her name Mary Squeak, her real name, Like her name was Squeak, but because it's because the men called her Squeak, I'm very confident she didn't give herself that name. So she was finding her voice. I was like, look at that, and they're all going together, you know. No one was like you can't come with me, sis, No, it's like you want to go, let's go. And then the men were looking at they were like what you know, what is happening here? So it was just like that joy It's all I spread throughout the characters. And then I was interesting. I questioned. I was like, why was Sophia don't want to go? She was confused at sitting at the table, and then when she finally came back, I was like, she didn't want to go. Maybe I feel like she she wanted to stay with Harpo. So I get well. Actually, I was like, is she going to go back to Harpo? So it was a little confusing to me. I was like, are they back together? Because remember when she was cleaning the glass in the juke joint, Mister was like, it's so nice to see you two together, and she was. I didn't say all that, but.
Speaker 2: It did feel like by the end, like when they were trying on the pants in the pan shop, it definitely felt like they were together. And I do think though this could have been an opportunity. Now, clearly the ways that Harpo had treated and Sofia was awful, but it does feel like so much of that was like not really a part of Harpo. It was because other people told him, like, this is what a man is right, and this is how you take care of your woman and how you tame her. And so it does feel like maybe they had been able to come back together in ways that were healthy by.
Speaker 4: The end and clearly learned that this is.
Speaker 2: How you are in relationship with one another, not as a domineering kind of forced over her. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so tefinitely it was not his goal to hurt her, but his down from him started from his grandfather. You know, his grandfather told his father, this is what you do, and his father took that very serious and his father was like, this is what you do. And then again we said in the beginning, seay, this is all she knew. So although she was building somewhat of a relationship with Miss Sofia, she said what she knew. So yeah, she was. Man, I really enjoyed her storyline. Again, didn't really remember it. And then going back to the musical when Nettie was in Africa, in the musical on Broadway, they just the sound and the music and they had real instruments. It was like, this is amazing. So that's why I do also look forward to so like the letters were being read just sharing information about the tribe. I was like, this is awesome, we actually have this. That's the only album sand Board from the iTunes, the color purple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure you know, everything has gotten bigger, technology has gotten better.
Speaker 4: Who knows, they probably were.
Speaker 2: Like a live instrumentation, and you know, I know that we are going to be in for a treat who this newest adaptation. So I'm just so excited for you to see in for all of our community to check it out so that people can share their thoughts and responses to the new film as well.
Speaker 3: Agreed. Now, I was questioning. I was, am I gonna wear purple to the move if I go to the movies to see I was like, because when Oprah, we'll see people in and purple. She say thank you so much for in purple, Thank you so much. And they also said, you know in the movie, you can't can't walk past the color purple and not smile. It's like, Okay, I don't have that much purple, but I can figure it out.
Speaker 4: You can figure it out.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we figured out the silver for we can surely get some purple together for sure.
Speaker 3: So I look forward to seeing it. I may not see it on Christmas Day, but I know I'll be ready for it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for spending some time with me again today. That you should remind us where we can find you online.
Speaker 3: Oh, you can find me at two Mimi's and the baby. It's just parenthood and life there.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, well, thank you again.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Jack and Joy.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad that night she was able to join me for this conversation to learn more about her and her work. Be sure to visit the show notes at Therapy for Black Girls dot com slash Session three three eight, and don't forget to text us episodes to two of your girls right now. If you're looking for a therapist in your area, check out our therapist directory at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash directory. And if you want to continue digging into this topic or just be in community with other sisters, come on over and join us in the Sister Circle. It's our cozy corner of the Internet designed just for black women. You can join us at community dot Therapy for Blackgirls dot com. This episode was produced by Frida Lucas, Elise Ellis, and Zaria Taylor. Editing is done by Dennison Bradford. Thank y'all so much for joining me again this week. I look forward to continuing this conversation with you all real soon. Take good care.
Speaker 3: What's