Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hey everyone, this is Sam. As you may have heard last week on the show, I sat with writer, journalist and editor of The New Yorker David Remnick. It's a conversation I've been wanting to have on Talk Easy since I started the program back in twenty sixteen. But when we were thinking about how to end twenty twenty three and who to end it with, I felt like David had the right mix of warmth, curiosity, generosity of spirit, and also a depth that felt fitting to close out what has been objectively, i'd say, a pretty difficult year. If you haven't heard that episode yet, it's really one of my favorites. You can find that wherever you are listening to this right now. We talk about his latest dispatch from the Middle East, a region he's reported on the nineteen nineties. We talked about his early days running The New Yorker, the power of the written word, the longevity of musician Joni Mitchell, and somehow and probably so much more. To all those that have listened to it and have been sharing on social media, I just want to thank you for that. It is, as you know, challenging to make a weekly podcast and seeing those posts reading your kind words really does embolden us to keep moving forward and to keep making this program each and every Sunday. Along with running the magazine, David Remnick somehow hosts The New Yorker Radio Hour, a weekly program that covers news, politics, movies, and everything in between. And so this week I wanted to share a recent episode they did with actor and director Bradley Cooper. Cooper co wrote and directed the new film Maestro, where he started as legendary composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein. I saw the film last month in theaters, where it's still playing in select locations across the country if you can't make it out, though it is currently available to stream exclusively on Netflix. In the coming months, we're hoping to do another episode around Maestro, so keep your eyes open for that. But until then, Happy holidays to you and yours. And now, without further ado, I wanted to present this really lovely conversation from our friends at WNYC featuring Bradley Cooper and David Remnick on The New Yorker Radio Hour.
Speaker 2: Like nearly everyone my age, I grew up on rock and roll, Little Richard, the Beatles, The Stones, Aretha But in that heroic pantheon of mine, one figure stood out, the classical conductor, composer, and teacher Entard Bernstein. Bernstein was a personality as kaleidoscopic as any rock star on podiums from New York to Berlin, conducting Beethoven or Maler. He was as physical in his way as James Brown or Tina Turner. Bernstein wrote the music to West Side Story and other Broadway hits, and he was a vivid and accessible presence on television, leading the famous Young People's concerts.
Speaker 3: It's a funny thing about this meaning business in music anyway, when you say what.
Speaker 2: Does it mean, what you're really saying is what is it trying to tell you?
Speaker 4: What ideas does it make me have?
Speaker 2: Bernstein drew you into a long tradition of music that might otherwise have escaped your ears, And what a loss that would have been. Bernstein also had a personal life that was chaotic and for its time revolutionary. His marriage to a brilliant actress, Fulisia montaleg is the subject of Bradley Cooper's thrilling new film Maestro. Carrie Mulligan plays Felicia and Cooper plays Leonard. Bernstein. He also co wrote the screenplay and directed the film. I had the chance to watch Maestro with Bradley Cooper and then we sat down to talk about it at length. So let's let's get to it. This is an extraordinary performance and piece of writing and directing. And you have been living this for I don't know how many years. What is the origin story of Maestro.
Speaker 4: I would have to date it back to being a child and inundated with cartoons as a kid in front of the television and Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny conducting, and we also simultaneously had a record player in the living room that would always have classical music. And that was the first time I realized that you could move your hand up and down and sound comes out. And I just came absolutely obsessed with that idea of power, quite honestly, and magical power.
Speaker 2: It must be narcotic.
Speaker 4: It really felt that way as a kid, because I asked Santa Claus that coming Christmas for a baton. I don't think I knew you. I must have been in between six to eight. I don't know exactly when, but you know, right around then, and I still remember when it showed up and I kept it. I just lost it last year, but I had it all the way through college. I kept it in my college dorm. In grad school, it was sort of like a totem for me. And even in grad school, Eland Burston came and did a workshop for four weeks and the assignment was create a character, and I created I wrote a monologue for a conductor. And so it was always something that was inside of me for since I was a kid, and I spent hundreds of hours David conducting to music that I loved as a child. I mean, I'm not exaggerating that number. So that when it rolled around seven years six and a half year years ago that Steven Spielberg was going to perhaps do a biopic about Leonard Bernstein, he happened to know that little fact about my obsession with conducting and said, would you read the script and would you ever consider playing Bernstein? And he wasn't going to direct it. I said, listen, would you let me sort of investigate and see if there's a movie that I a script that I could write, a story that I feel like I could tell that what allowed me to enter into it and conduct.
Speaker 2: So there was an existing script at that there was by whom by Josh Singer who came on board and we wrote it together the new script. But just to be clear, Leonard Bernstein, I'm older than you are. He was a part of childhood for me, and he was magnetic like nothing else in the classical music realm.
Speaker 4: He was a rock star, no question.
Speaker 2: And he acknowledged rock and roll and even brought in rock band or did yeah. Yeah, So you're younger, you're watching it through, absorbing it through purely from records.
Speaker 4: You're talking about once I started doing.
Speaker 2: Research, But was your a kid and getting a kid and just records.
Speaker 4: Ricardo Moody was the music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra back then. I was lucky enough that my parents took my sister and I a couple of times. We spent a vacation in Boca Raton, Florida, and it's Doc Pearlman happened to be staying in the room next door, and I'll have you forget it, And I just heard the violin all throughout the night and day when we were there, and I was just obsessed with, Who's what creature's making this in the other room.
Speaker 2: Incredible, incredible. So years go by, and suddenly Steven Spielberg has given you a blessing. That's right, sense, and so what do you do next?
Speaker 4: And then the work began. I had to go and meet the three children, Nina, Alex and Jamie and and try to convince them to trust me enough to give me the rights to the music for however a long amount of years the contract would be and I had no and David, I had no story, there was no script. I showed them the movie starsborn, and I told them that what I just told you, and I said, it's a very big fire burning inside me for a conductor, and I won't ever make a movie I don't believe in And they said yes.
Speaker 2: So at some point you have to find the story within the story, the narrative within the big, sprawling biography. And clearly the center of the film is the relationship between husband and wife, and it's a very complicated one. Why did you go for that as opposed to some other aspect of Bernstein's life.
Speaker 4: One thing I realized right off the bat is, first of all, I had no desire to make a biopic. You can make an incredible documentary, and some have been made already about this man. Because of just the sheer amount of primary footage out there. But I also wanted to do right by his impact. But because there's sound, picture, colors, production value, as well as story, all of these things that encompass a film, I thought that I could achieve conveying his achievements through other means than just story. For example, I thought, well, the whole movie can be set to his music. Right away, I thought, I feel like I can take care away of that transh of his legacy by just having the whole movie be scored to his music. He also had a relationship to God was a big part of his life, and that early on, I started to see the visual aspect of the film. That's what excites me is about a filmmaker. That's where the one three three aspect ratio, which much of the film has, that's where that came because I like this sort of vertical element to it.
Speaker 2: Explain what that aspect ratio is as opposed to.
Speaker 4: So that's more of a vertical that either side of the frame if you're watching it is squeezed in and you have more top and bottom a almost like a television as opposed to scope, which is sort of the Westerns, and you have more room on the left and right, and it's wonderful for a close up as well. The one three three. I'm just sort of explaining how things start to ruminate inside me. It's always visual. I thought, oh, this is going to be depth. This is four ground background low to high. That's how the movie's going to breathe. So I want to be able to have him reach his hand all the way as high as he can with that batona, not have it be out of frame, quite honestly, otherwise it's have to squeeze the image.
Speaker 2: These are things that you're thinking about and many many other things. And at the same time, we live in the real world. This is not a cheap movie. How much was the final budget?
Speaker 4: In the end we wound up going under what I had asked Netflix. I think I asked them for ninety million, and I think we were shy of that in the end, which is an enormous amount of money for a movie that's half black and white, shot on thirty five millimeters black and white film, which David means that there's no going back.
Speaker 2: And no matter how successful you've been both as a comic actor, as a serious actor and then with the Star is Born, it's still a film about a dead classical music conductor. And I've got a figure that you probably.
Speaker 4: Black and white, which is a huge thing for the studios.
Speaker 2: How many no's did you get?
Speaker 4: And just to be clear, it's ninety million dollars. It's all that all that money. The budget was so high because we shot live music with the live orchestras, and because we went on locations. I didn't know how to make the movie in any other way. Everybody said no. The answer is I think I went. You know, it started at Paramount. They said no. Warner Brothers said no. Apple said no, I don't think we ever made it. To Sony and Scott Stuber at Netflix. I sat down with him. He looked at me. He said, this is absolutely nuts. But your enthusiasm is infectious. And I trust filmmakers that I believe in.
Speaker 2: You're not Chopplivery, You're You're Bradley Cooper at this point, and you're going into some of the biggest offices in la And what is the language you get for no? What does it sound?
Speaker 4: Well? I think I have to set the stage for you about who I am. First, Just as an example, my mother and I just put ourselves on tape last weekend so that we can hopefully get another T Mobile Super Bowl commercial. So I think, I think maybe that, I think maybe that'll shatter your idea of like I'm that is, I'm literally not making that up. America's largest five gen network, T Mobile has price locks, k no clam I think I know what I'm doing about. So I have no problem asking and pitching something that I believe in and know is something that you've become so well acquainted with. That Warner Brothers was a tough no. That was the one that hurt a little bit, just because I had made of stars born there an American sniper and joker, and I just thought, oh, trust me, guys, and like, even if it doesn't work, I don't think it'll look bad on you, because you will. I have been so successful for you in the past on projects that were very also risky, a fourth remake of a movie.
Speaker 2: So what was their explanation for now? What's the rationale?
Speaker 4: I think that I think it was nothing other than logical. You know, I don't, I don't. I don't it makes sense what they're saying. You know, it's a it's a huge budget. It's a subject matter that no one will be interested in, and we just can't we can't justify it.
Speaker 2: I'm talking today with Bradley Cooper about Maestro, his film about the conductor Leonard Bernstein. A few months ago, when stills from the film were first circulating the Internet in its way as usual, blew up with a controversy over the prosthetic that Cooper wears on his nose, the shnaws that he used to portray Bernstein. So the first thing that I heard about this film was this business of the makeup and jew face and oh my god, should a non Jewish guy be playing a Jewish guy? And is the nose too big? And so on. I'll reserve judgment it was it a serious conversation about prosthetics or it didn't seem all that striking to me.
Speaker 4: Well, what you're speaking of actually came out after we had made the movie, right, So I had already gone through the entire process of the film. And in terms of the LENNI looking like Lennie, I knew whether I had to age in order to tell this love story. And then he has such a beautiful, iconic face. I thought, well, let's when I work with an master artist like Kazu, let's create a hybrid where people can really enter into the into the illusion of Lenny. Because I'm going to do the voice anyway. And I have a big nose. Not that that was ever something, but I was like, yeah, our face, our foreheads, our noses, our eyes, the way our eyes are, our ears, it's all. It's all very workable to create a sort of middle ground. And by the way, the prosthetic for the nose was like a silk curtain. That's about the differences behind those and his really, but we had to and it was a little and it's wider and he'd a deviated septum. Now, that said David oddly enough to me, Alex Bernstein sent me a letter.
Speaker 2: This is his son, the middle child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he said, you know, we want to we want to write a letter responding to this.
Speaker 2: No one had ever really responding to the press criticism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't mean any of you, but I had heard about it. Yeah, And but I read the letter and then I called him. I'll never forget it, and he said hey, And I said, hey, it's Bradley. I just on and I couldn't talk, and I started weeping profuse like really weeping, very hard, and he started crying, and then we just hung up, and I.
Speaker 2: Realized you were moved out of gratitude to it him.
Speaker 4: I just never first of all, I didn't I think I didn't realize how much maybe that hurt, that that's how people were seeing about the movie, but also just that act of kindness from them, from the children.
Speaker 2: My conversation with Bradley Cooper about Maestro continues in a moment. Cooper was on the Hollywood A List of Stars as a comic and serious actor when he made his debut as a director with a Star Is Born, the twenty eighteen version, in which he co starred with Lady Gaga, and since that film, he's been working single mindedly, obsessively on Maestro, a film about Leonard Bernstein and his marriage to the actress Felicia Montelegro.
Speaker 4: Hello, I'm Lennie. Hello Felsa Bernstein, like that one montalegra monteleegra montalegra cone con mantellegra cone. Well, that's an interesting marriage of words.
Speaker 2: Felicia is played by Carrie Mulligan, and Mulligan gets top billing in the credits. Now, it's not a conventional biopic of Bernstein. The film centers on the marriage, and it explores his creative, voracious, consuming, and selfish nature as someone who was capable of astonishing work and also and self destructiveness. You probably won't remember the first time we met, and we've only met a couple of times, but the first time we met, you had on your iPhone the voice that you wanted to use speaking voice for a Star is Born.
Speaker 4: For Jackson Mane. Yeah, I had Sam Elliott's voice, right.
Speaker 2: I started putting it down the paper when we were at home. Oh, it just sort of fell out of me, I guess. And you were playing this for me and then how you would do it, and it was totally fascinating to me. Now Here, you don't want to do a caricature, and you don't want to do an impersonation, right, but you I'm telling you, it is the most uncanny thing. But the voice, the kind of liquid, low, aristocratic and yet swingy Leonard Bernstein voice.
Speaker 3: And I remember, particularly when we got to the Skarzow which is in seven for a Time and the little tricky is out really I mean, but then it seemed tricky those.
Speaker 2: And it changes during the course of the film, just as he does physically.
Speaker 4: It initially starts with how I hear and see the movie there. I always saw it as one musical element, and part of that music is the interplay between the characters, at them speaking, the music of their the melody of their conversations, particularly between Felicia and Lenny, because I had access to these wonderful audio tapes, and that's part of why I started to focus on wanting to make a movie about the two of them. Was just the melody, the intoxicated melody of their conversations, and particularly him, he spoke melodically. I also knew early on that in order to tell this story about their relationship, it was going to have to take place over a period of time. So if you're going to do that, he sounded different from years of smoking, getting older, his voice completely changed. So I knew early on, like back in twenty seventeen, right away when I even began to think about this, that I needed to start working immediately. So Tim Monic, that is the guy who I work with all the time, and we started working on all these three separate voices. When he's in his twenties, when he's in his fifties, and then when he's in his.
Speaker 2: Late sixties, he's a dialogue coach.
Speaker 4: He's a dialect coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so can when you are about to do a scene, do you have to then put on the headphones, hear the voice, and then get into it. So here's what can you put it on as a party trick.
Speaker 4: Here's what's great about having prep. The only way that I know how to do this is I have to bank Lenny way before I start shooting, Otherwise I'd be terrified. David, So Leonard Bernstein, that character that that that you see in the film was banked maybe six months before we started shooting. So when I go through hair and makeup in the morning before crew call, Lenny's there, it's me, but I'm speaking like him. Everything's him. So I direct the whole day as him. And I do that just because that's the only way I know to be absolutely free and I'm not even thinking about anything. If I had to go and put headphones and listen, I excuse my language, absolutely fucked because all of my energy, David also is to the filmmaking and to the other actors. So there's never a moment ever where I'm even thinking about what I sound like and what's fun about that, because, as you mentioned, there's all these different voices, and the crew is like, you know, and the way we would shoot a day would depend on the energy of the Lenny. So like young Lenny, we have a lot of energy. We'd sort of race through the day Old Lenny. You know, there was you're sort of in third gear as we're making the movie, so it was like, oh, who's and then the crew and we were like, oh, we got young Lenny today. Oh that's great.
Speaker 2: So obviously the heart of the movie is this relationship between Leonard Bernstein and his wife Felicia. She goes into the marriage with her eyes wide open. She knows that her husband to be as gay or bisexual. He's been described in different ways. He's definitely not monogamous, and she thinks she's up for the task somehow. So how do you get to Felicia's internal life?
Speaker 4: Again, it starts off with the macro of the story, and the idea of what I got to know about Leonard Bernstein was that he was sort of a very consistent person, very consistent in his unorthodox way he lived his life. That's why in the beginning of the film when I sort of you know, I sort of placed him. He's up in the clouds, you know, like an angel that you know. Then God's calling him to go down to the people to do to give his gift. Right, That's what that first scene's about. And in that he's playing the bongos on David Oppenheim's butt. That is the same guy who then is dancing with William to shout at the end of the movie, William the Young Conductor. He does not change the entire film. Felicia does has an awakening and understanding of who she is and what her plight is when she.
Speaker 2: Let's slow this both both of these things down because we've seen it. But you're saying Bernstein is the same throughout his life.
Speaker 4: It's almost like he's the antagonist. She's the protagonist in some ways.
Speaker 2: But and what is the it there? In other words, he's this just absolutely consumed and consuming personality, and his ambitions are limitless. He wants to well, he states it.
Speaker 4: I mean, he states it to us the viewer at the beginning of the film, and her I refuse to be one thing. The world wants us to be only one thing, and I find that deplorable, and I find you very attractive, Felicia, right after we had just seen him banging the drums of a guy's butt, You're like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: In other words, he could be musically voracious, sexually voracious. That's right.
Speaker 4: Jerry Robins just said five minutes ago your show Pony here is a composer, not a conductor, and we just saw him composing Manfred and now he's playing the piano with Aaron Copeland. So the hope is, in the very beginning of the movie, you're bombarded by who this man is. And then she comes on to the stage, comes off the bus, huge close up, and she grounds him. The movie slows down, it gets tethered by her, and then she says to him, you are a dragon and then kisses him and he takes that as you see me and you still want me?
Speaker 2: What did Felicia do for Leonard Bernstein's creative life? How are we meant to understand that in the film?
Speaker 4: Well, Number one, what I just what I just sort of articulated about the hope of what the audience feels from that first ten minutes of the film is that she tethers him, and then tethering him he can focus. He composed quite a bit of material in those years that they were those sort of glory years, and and he he had a tremendous amount of frustration and lament that he hadn't composed more as he got later in life. Halfway through the movie he says, you know, I haven't. When you add it up, it's not that much. And you see that he's a bit downtrodden even then.
Speaker 2: Because he's disappointed that he was not the composer of classical music that would have put him on the same level as Mallros.
Speaker 4: Where I landed and what I used was he was so excited about life. He was given so many gifts and let's just say those are little fires he gets to start, and he just had all of these fires all burning at the same time. That takes a tremendous amount of energy. A family, an extramarital, intimate relationships, conducting, composing, teaching, all of these things. And we we didn't even really go to the social activism that he did in the movie. And I think that has a tremendous amount of impact on him throughout his life. I don't think it was just composing. I think if you asked him, he would have definitely said, I wish I was a better father. I think there are many I think he would have said, I wish I was a better husband, I wish I was a better boyfriend. I think all of those things suffered because he was given so many talents.
Speaker 2: Not to be cheap or reductive about this, but do you relate to any of that? Absolutely tell me about that.
Speaker 4: I think that you know, I have a lot of passions. I love doing so many different types of things, and as I've gotten older, I mean the thing that really struck me, like when I made A Star is Born. I was only really able to make that movie with absolute freedom because I had been sober for so many years that I could go into this mindset the sole place for twenty years, right, yeah, fearlessly. It'll be twenty years in August, so it was about like seventeen sixteen years at the time, but a long time. This movie that you were speaking of, I made absolutely fearlessly, and I knew I had to because that's a huge element in Bernstein's music. It is fearless. I think that in the last three to four years, I've arrived than by the grace of God, to a place of actually having self esteem and feel very comfortable in my skin. So I do feel, as arrogant as this may sound, that because I have had the benefit of living in the time period that we are living in now, and there's such an awareness to mental health and taking care of yourself, that I feel like I'm in a place of contentment soulfully that maybe he never arrived at because of many factors.
Speaker 2: What brought you to that place.
Speaker 4: Just tremendous work, you know, just relentless work.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the New Yorker Radio Hour and I'm speaking with Bradley Cooper about his film Maestro. It opened in theaters this week. So I wanted to before we talk about a series of scenes in the film, I want to talk about a scene that's not in the film, because writing is often a process of leaving things out as well as making this so true, So one of the most famous incidents in Bernstein's public life and Felicia's public life is a moment at the height of the I forget what the year is. The Black Panthers are in town and they're going to have a benefit, and the benefit is at the Bernstein's. They host it and all the swell people of New York are there, and it becomes immortalized, first in the New York Times and then much more famously, Tom wolf writes a piece called radical chic and the Bernstein's look, just to put a quick tag on it, ridiculous. They seem like silly people in a way that's now familiar, you know, trying to be down at, trying to be hip and coming off absurdly. And I don't think my understanding is from reading about Bernstein is that Felicia in particular, ever quite recovered from Tom Wolfe's piece. It was really tough on her in particular. It's not in the film tell me about that. It's obviously something you must have thought about.
Speaker 4: Oh and wrote, so you wrote, you wrote, yeah, so I know the originally party we we did have, Yeah, that that that party was? Was that party for a long time and it and again the movie tells you what at once the spine of the film was always going to is their relationship. And the thing that was so clear to us was there can be only one villain. I don't want to have another outside incident that brings them together. The villain is part of Lenny. He's the villain. He's the thing that I wanted to focus on breaking up their marriage or or or or the caustic element of the the of this dynamic, and it really deluded his accountability for her state Bye bye by introducing that into this narrative with this movie was about, and that's why I ultimately took it out, and also because I wanted to, you know, in terms of people have asked about you know, you're jumping, you know timeline, that switch from black and white to color, which is would have been when that scene would have occurred, was all about their lifestyles having been stressed by this agreement that they made. If you add in another villain of a tom Wolf sitting there, it becomes it's not as strong. It just wasn't as strong. And I'm all as spine.
Speaker 2: Tell us what the marital agreement was. For those who haven't seen the film or read lots of biographies.
Speaker 4: Two people who were absolutely enthralled with each other on so many levels, culturally, artistically, cerebrally, soulfully, and were open about expressing who they were part of that was Felicia knowing all of Lenny, this dragon who also found men sexually active as well as women, and would pursue that, And she went into this marriage knowing all of those things. So at the time that was a very unorthodox thing, and for many people it wouldn't make it even any sense. But to her and to him, this was just part of what it is to accept a fully human.
Speaker 2: And one of the persons. One of the most moving scenes is there comes a point when one of the daughters finds out or here's rumors, and she goes to Bernstein and asks him about these rumors, and on the advice of Felicia, in fact, maybe the insistence he lies. He tells her it's not true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the pivotal scene for both characters, both Felicia and Lenny, and in fact, in terms of what occurs, you know, sometimes when you're acting that scene, if you recall that scene, his daughter has spent the summer at Tanglewood and there are these rumors that he has been having extramarital affairs with men, and she's upset by it. She shared that with her mother, and her mother had told him go outside and tell Jamie that that's not true. So he goes out there to try to justify and he talks about jealousy and tells this tale that's kind of hilarious.
Speaker 3: Lightened a shed some sort of understanding on what could have happened. So but I can only imagine that it was burned on by jealousy, Darling, jealousy of whatever it is that I do, and it's plagued me all my life, and I apologize, we're plaguing you now.
Speaker 4: And then she just asked point blank to her father, are the rumors true? And he says no, darling, and then she says, I'm so relieved. And when she says I'm so relieved, you see on his face this disappointment of why are we teaching our daughter something that we ourselves don't believe in? Absolutely, And he is so strong, Leonard Bernstein, and was so strong in the making of this movie that what actus is occurring and why I stay on that that that shot for so long is because me Bradley as Leonard Bernstein in that moment, it was as if Lenny was screaming inside me, saying, fucking tell her the truth. And I started to think, I honestly David. I was like, I'm gonna tell her. I'm going to tell her, and then my b I started to think, well, if I tell her, I'm going to have to rewrite and reshoot so much of the movie. And I started going through in real time that's on film, going through what I'll have to do, and in the end I thought it's impossible. And then and then he goes and you can see his head shake for a second like that's me going through it, and then he goes, Okay, let's just go.
Speaker 2: And that's really one of the incredible things to me. There's another moment where they have an argument on Thanksgiving. This is an incredible scene a Thanksgiving day at the Dakota as balloons are floating by the window, Snoopy or I forget what it was, Snoopy, and the argument begins with this tremendous cross talk. You're actually kind of not following what one is saying to the other except in emotion. And then the dialogue settles down and they say, as couples can the most hurtful things imaginable to each other, you're letting your sadness.
Speaker 3: Let me finish, let me finish what I'm going to say, I think you're letting your sadness get the better to do with me.
Speaker 4: It's about you, so you should love it. You want to be sleepless and depressed and sick.
Speaker 2: You want to be all of those things so you can avoid fulfilling your obligation to what you've been given. To the given. Please, the gift comes with burdens of faith.
Speaker 4: But that's the truth. You love people that well spring of love. The complications arise in your life.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Wake up, take off your glasses and you think, if you didn't know the story, that's it. No, no marriage can survive that exchange, despite Snoopy coming by the window, which is a great touch. Not long after, we have Leonard Bernstein conducting the climactic passages of Maller's Second Symphony at a cathedral in England, and his first instinct after the booming applause is to rush off the stage and into her embrace, which she gives back totally. I that to me is the spine.
Speaker 4: That is the spine of the whole film. And again she's I mean, I hope you heard some of it, because it's really she was really laying into him at the beginning, but it's.
Speaker 2: All fast and furious, you know what I mean. It's like life, not like a script.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that is her laying into him, not about we've just watched him have an extramarital affair that he has brought into their home and into his artistry, which is the huge betrayal for her, at least in her mind. I think she's been heartfully betrayed for years, but she still cannot articulate it. All that argument is about her saying to him, you're not fulfilling your gifts that you've been given, and it's just the and you're going to end up and you're going to end up a lonely old queen. But she doesn't say, you've crushed me. How dare you? You've betrayed? He doesn't say anything to that. And it's not until you get to the part when she has her realization and she says, I used to envy my children who would wait once so longingly for his attention. And she would always say to herself, I don't need, I don't need, but I do. I'm the one who's been a fool. And then we have the scene where he's conducting, which is really lying. That's me conducting the London Symphony Orchestra because that was the only way to achieve that magic that he was able to achieve. And the hope is as an audience member, there's no hate in his heart because clearly I didn't see any hate in his heart, and there's no way she would have loved him, because that's what she attacks him for at the Thanksgiving Day parade party fight. She says, it's hate you just you're up there showing people that they'll never hold a candle to you, that you are so much better than them, And then when we're watching him conduct, it's the exact opposite. It's exultation. He's the angel that God asked of come down to the in the beginning of the movie, because he can be a crystal and can ingest all of that light, all of that power of the music, and then beam it out to all of us in the audience, and then me then making a movie. He was able to stand in the center of the sun and not only not burn, but reflect it back to us in a way that we could achieve, appreciate it, and not burn ourselves. So that's why when he rushes off and he's crying and in her dress that I love. When he leaves and you just see the sweat stains on her blue dress, and then she says to him, there's no hate in your heart. And that's the pure love they had for each other.
Speaker 2: I've got to ask you about conducting in the Ely Cathedral in England with a full orchestra, the London Symphony or and a full chorus. You're conducting, Maller, I mean, I mean that's got to be a childhood fantasy come true.
Speaker 4: Yes, sure is.
Speaker 2: You know some kids dream of hitting the ball out of Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: You got to do that. So what was the experience, Like, how does the filming work?
Speaker 4: Well, I knew I was going to do that piece of music six years ago, so I started working on it then, and there's a wonderful recording of that performance, and I was able to get the raw footage where it's just seeing his conducting. And then I just spent you know, all of the time I could number one, going to the New York phil three or four times a week just watching conductors. The La Phil. The Philadelphia Orchestra became very close with Castavo Dudamel and Yanique Sagan, and.
Speaker 2: Those are two of the very top conductors working today.
Speaker 4: And then Yanique, who's been just a whole part of Lenny in this film. I had an ear piece and he was counting tempo for me when I was doing it, because I was conducting them that is live. But the problem was I couldn't really hear it because the music's so loud, I couldn't really hear it. And we shot that over one day. We were only going to shoot that one day, and I messed it up the entire day. I kept getting behind the tempo, and the minute you lose tempo, it's over.
Speaker 2: What happens when the music stops. You have to know they get.
Speaker 4: Playing because they're the best orchestra in the world. But it's not it's not the same. It's not the same, and I know it, and so the camera knows and the audience knows it. I went to bed that night. The next morning I texted the sound mixer, Steve Morrow and asked him if we had it, which I think if you're getting a call from your filmmaker, do you have it, and you're the sound mixer, that's not a very optimistic sign and he said, I think we do. And because I always would show up before crew call, really a couple of minutes at least twenty because I had been in the makeup chair, I walked into the empty ely and it was at Lenny Sert saying me, just do it one more time, do not give up. And so the seventy five orchestra members of the London Symphony Orchestra brought everybody back one shot, and for whatever reason, David, all of that prep for six years came to me effortlessly and I was able to let go and conduct the orchestra so much so the Timpaness came running afterwards. You know yesterday everything you did was absolute shit. This is this is the one you have to use. And I was like, you, I know, yeah, and I said no. He said no, you actually conducted us there, Lenny, and I said, I know, yeah, that's that's what's going to be in And that was it. And you'd have to ask Lenny, but I'm you know, I think he'd be very happy. I hope he would.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's incredible.
Speaker 4: It was really incredible. I'll never forget it. The scariest thing I've ever done. By far. I mean not even close. Singing at the Oscars live performing at Glastonbury, nothing even comes close.
Speaker 2: Bradley Cooper. He conducted the London Symphony Orchestra in a recreation of a famous concert by Leonard Bernstein for his new film Maestro. The film Maestro has been getting some love from the critics and it's going to be a heavy contender, I think for the awards season. Bradley Cooper stars in the film as Leonard Bernstein. He directed the film and he co wrote it with Josh Singer. Cooper's path to being a filmmaker of note was hardly a straight line. He became known first as a beloved actor in some decidedly broie comedies, playing a jerk in wedding Crashers and more of a straight man in the Hangover films.
Speaker 4: Doctor Price STU, you're a dentist. Okay, don't try and get fancy.
Speaker 2: It's not fancy.
Speaker 4: If it's true he's a dentist, don't get too excited. And if someone has a heart attack, you should still call nine one one.
Speaker 2: Cooper went on to some really serious roles in films with directors including David o'russell and he might not like me mentioning it, but at the same time, he shows up quite often on lists of sexiest men alive. Still all along, Cooper told me he wanted to get behind the camera. He fulfilled the cliche of I always wanted to direct, and he did so with a bang. He debuted as a director on A Star Is Born.
Speaker 4: I mean, I didn't allow myself to dream as big as I really wanted to dream when I was a kid. So acting is what I thought I wanted. But the truth is, it wasn't just what Hopkins and Hurt did in The Elephant Man. It was what David Lynch was doing in The Elephant Man. It was the sound design. That's what really got me excited. And it wasn't till I spend years in this business and as I was on these sets acknowledging that all I really think about is how they're making this movie. That all I really care about. That's what it gets me excited. And I was lucky enough to work with filmmakers who saw that in me and invited me very much into their process. I mean, there's so many times I'd be with an actor and they said, wait a second, you're in the editing room. How did you ever get let in the editing room? And I think the reason was because these filmmakers realized that, oh, this is a like minded person. They're not just thinking about their performance. So it became sort of an organic evolution that then led me to and also, quite honestly, frustration that these directors who I really love, just don't want to work with me. And I'm forty years old and I think I can't just sit around and wait and do movies that I actually think that aren't what I want to be doing.
Speaker 2: So what directors don't want to work with you? And why?
Speaker 4: Well I don't you'd have to ask them why. But you know, I mean, any actor will have a list of directors that just don't you know at that time, you know, like I had written David Fincher an email years ago, never heard a response Martin Scorsese at that time, Paul Thomas Anderson quent terran im, I could go on and on.
Speaker 2: Are you work with one of the most difficult people? You did three films with David or Russell, who couldn't be more difficult?
Speaker 4: Well it's not about famously, Yeah, Well I love David and we had an incredible time together. Hopefully I'm not coming across anyway being you know, not acknowledging how lucky I've been with the people I have gotten to work with. I'm just speaking to the fact that there were other people and I just got to a part point where I just thought, let me try to do it myself. It's always what I wanted to do. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Are you done with fun? In other words, if a kind of fun comic role came along, it was three months of your time, it's it's not Hangover five, but something of a similar spirit.
Speaker 4: Well, I would do Hangover five. It would be four first.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well I want to get ahead of ourselves. You would do that in a flash, and I would.
Speaker 4: I would probably do Hangover for it in an instant. Yeah, just because I love Todd, I love Zach, I love Ed so much, I probably would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I think we just made dudes Hangover four. It's coming around the corner.
Speaker 4: I don't think Todd's ever going to do that, but real quick, just to just to just to end, you know, you said the word fund if there was just something fun, There's nothing more fun that I've ever experienced than Maestro and a star is born. This is me having fun. It is, Oh, but I wouldn't. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't.
Speaker 2: But the higher fun I don't know what you mean comedy. I mean one is just less consuming and exhausting. Yeah, it don't have too many maestros in you. There's only one life to live.
Speaker 4: That's correct. And I've really I also realized that, and I'd rather make I'm if I'm lucky enough to have another idea come in that, I'm willing to exert this much energy. If I could do it two more, three more times in my life, I'd be very lucky.
Speaker 2: I find it hard to believe that you can inhabit the personality, the voice, the intelligence of a Leonard Bernstein. Think about him, walk around in his shoes and even his nose for five or six years, do that all with total consumption and passion and focus, and then walk away from it. How do you move on from an experience like that? How do you take the mask off and then just move on?
Speaker 4: You don't move on. That's the beauty about what I get to do. Chris Kyle lives inside me. I mean, Joseph Merrick's right here, in my wall, there's Lenny. I don't think they ever go away. There were many months where I sort of talking with a bit of a thing. When I would do I was like, that's not really my voice. But no, these are like experiences like your time in Russia. I don't think that's that's I assume those four years will always be inside of you. It's true, it's the same exact thing.
Speaker 2: And how did it shape the way you think about what's next? Or does it put a stall on it? Do you become much pickier and more selective?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just know that I feel like I have my tools are sharper. You know. I may have a few more tools now as I go into the next adventure, which is exciting.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that next adventure is, am I I thought you might. And it's not a Metallica biopic. Ooh, there you go. I know you have a special effect.
Speaker 4: I need to keep my hearing, David a thread, and you've had hearing issues in the past, and I don't think Metallica would be as much as I do love them.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people when they begin their careers in either comic roles or writing comically and then they quote unquote get serious. Look back at the comic work with some I don't know, diminishment. I wonder how you feel about it, because those movies were antique, wonderfully funny.
Speaker 4: I mean, my hope, David, is that there's a lot of humor in this movie, and there's a lot of jokes and stars born and you know, all the filmmakers that I am of love. Stanley Kubrick was hilarious, hilarious, So humor is and I find that humor is a When my father was dying and I was holding him and my mother and I just had a tuna fish sandwich. That's why it's in the movie where she says you smell like tuna fish. I remember holding my father, who was you know, was unconscious at the time, my mother saying, your breath smells like tuna fish. And I just thought, Mom, he doesn't know. And you know, there's humor everywhere, So I love comedy. In fact, they're the same thing. Really, it's storytelling. It's storytelling.
Speaker 2: The film began in some ways with permission from the family, and then you present the film to the three children, and they're very painful things that the film towards the very end, Lenny is both bereft and pathetic, and you dramatize this by him coming on to in a very clumsy, sloppy way to a young director at Tanglewood. And I think that stands for a lot of things, because I think we know that there were many such incidents. How did the kids react to the film and you showed it to them for the first time in all its in all its glory and a times pain.
Speaker 4: You'd have to ask them, but my instinct is they'd say that if they had not seen anything or talked about anything until the last version of the film, I think it probably would have been pretty traumatic. But because they had been such a part of it at every turn, I would send them clips and they would come and see chunks of the film. So it was a gradual sort of digestion of the whole experience.
Speaker 2: But were they inhibiting in any way? Did they their living presence and their permission for the film in any way, say you know what, if I do that, that's too far. It's a betrayal of them. Biographers have this problem. They have never you didn't have that problem.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously, if you see the film.
Speaker 2: Bradley Cooper, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That was really awesome.
Speaker 2: Maestro, directed by Bradley Cooper and starring Cooper and Kerrie Mulligan, is in theaters now