Speaker 1: Podcast starts. Now, what's up everyone around the globe? And you are listening to Stradia Lab.
Speaker 2: And we are coming at you live from that's right, the city of Angels, Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 2: And also, this is the last stop of our tour, so we're no longer going to promote it because guess what, if you're listening to this at this point, you fully missed it. So better luck next time, sweetheart, because it's going to be a few months until we're ready to go on to it.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to go ahead and say maybe even up to a year or two, because.
Speaker 2: No, you're addicted to tour. I don't think. I think you're not letting on how much you actually surprise yourself with how much you enjoyed traveling around the globe.
Speaker 1: Hm, how much did I enjoy travel around the globe? I think, on the one hand, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed It's okay, we have to talk about the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the number one thing is that we decided. First of all, we went to Seattle and you said, you know, you can't see if for not watching video, But you said, my world was this, and you made a small gesture. And now my world is this, and you made a large gesture.
Speaker 1: Because I went to Seattle. My world got so much larger in a way that is bad, because you think, Okay, I know the world, and this is you can I can live in New York or maybe upstate New York. And now I'm seeing Seattle and I'm saying, oh my god, they have a whole different way of life that's potentially better than ours.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing with the Pacific Northwest is that they don't think of nature as this sick, freaky thing that you put somewhere and then go to on the weekends. It's even part of their daily life.
Speaker 1: They don't have to choose. They've taken the city, country binary and smashed it.
Speaker 2: It really is incredible and like not to it is a GBTQ plus that way where in one walk, I mean someone literally told us sometimes in Seattle, a walk will turn into a hike. He didn't say in Washington State, he said in Seattle, the city.
Speaker 1: He twisted his leg on a hike that started out as a walk.
Speaker 2: He was this is not some joke. He was on he was using crutches and make it qual what happened? He was like, why was on a walk that turned into a hike. So it's also dangerous.
Speaker 1: Also, you have to the way that people in Seattle specifically, I can never tell if it's exciting or not to sort of recap cities vibes, but the way the people in Seattle will literally be like, yeah, Alison Chains used to come here, and it's like, oh, that doesn't mean much to me, but like the fact that you're saying that does speak to me.
Speaker 2: Well, we realized that the Pacific Northwest. You were on a mission basically to find out where indie rock is still thriving. And we don't mean bands, we mean the spirit of it. I mean the spirit of indie rock. Sweetheart and walking and hiking count as the spirit of indie rock, as do as does. Sort of like a logo of a coffee shop that has a lightning bolt in it.
Speaker 1: I mean, even the way that we were like sitting in a coffee shop and people just seemed like kind of happy. Yeah, they seem like calm and not in a way that's like I have ten minutes before my next thing. They were like unemployed, They were happily unemployed. Unemployed and loving it.
Speaker 2: Also the way people it's like these things that you think are dead, like local newspapers all weeklies. Everyone in Seattle is like, oh, I read that in the Alt I read in the Alt Weekly that a local band is going to the local festival. And you're like, I don't know any of those things still existed.
Speaker 1: Yah, I'm like, who allowed you to have your own culture?
Speaker 2: We realize that like in New York, everyone is everyone is du a liipa. There's no middle class of performer.
Speaker 1: Well, you're either do a lipa or your bloomberg or you're and so like even if you're if you're an artist, you have to be do a lipa. And if you're gonna do business, you better do big business. Three D.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting about now being in LA after this whole thing is we've been in nine different cities and now we're in LA and it actually has almost like taken La down a notch for me where I'm like, oh, you're just one of the cities. You're not Los Angeles, where you know Hollywood is. You're not Los Angeles where you could make or break my career in Hollywood. You're just another city. That I'm on tour at See.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you brought this up because I feel like in all those other cities, I was like, I'm so far abroad, like no one here gets me, Like my local references don't make any sense. And then now that I'm here, normally I come to LA and I feel that way. But now that I've been in all these other cities, I came to LA and I'm like, I'm home, Like everyone here gets me.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, huh, I do not feel that way.
Speaker 1: I don't feel that way.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, to be fair, the one thing I've done today has gone to Irwan as a bit to get a thirteen dollars smoothie.
Speaker 1: I went yesterday. I was to get other days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just like, you know, coming from the Pacific Northwest, you feel the culture even more than coming from New York. You're like, you guys need to go on a hike and not an LA hike. You need to go into the woods.
Speaker 1: That's true actually, But.
Speaker 2: At the same time, I love all our Los Angeles friends and I think they're all doing so well and it has not changed their personality they moved here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the personalities are one intact. No one is damaged, no one is flawed, no one recognizes.
Speaker 2: No one needs to move back to New York for their mental health.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Power corrupts absolutely except here.
Speaker 2: Well, also, do you feel like we in no way are going to get into politics of any kind? And in fact both of us have never read a newspaper in our lives. But just for the shake of what I'm about to say in terms of the strikes, there's a way in which I entered in La La and immediately was like, this is where the enemy is. I'm like looking at all the buildings and I'm like fuck you wow, because I'm like, this is where the studios are.
Speaker 1: Do you not feel that at all?
Speaker 2: I'm so aware of when I'm walking around, I'm like paramount and me Ah, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Fuck all of you.
Speaker 2: You're the reason I'm a touring podcaster.
Speaker 1: Now, I didn't feel that at all. What did I feel? I was just sort of like you were literally just like happy to be here. I was literally happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been more like everyone's so chill, but that's neither here.
Speaker 2: It is so vital that we bring in our guests.
Speaker 1: I was going to say the same thing. It's so important with everything going on with the strikes to bring in our guest.
Speaker 2: Our guest is in a plethora of projects that you cannot talk about and also has a podcast that you can talk about. So please welcome Vanessa Bayer.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me here.
Speaker 2: Vanessa. We need all your thoughts on everything that has been said and take well.
Speaker 4: I want to back up to before this podcast even started, because we sat down.
Speaker 3: Did you say nary nary a few minutes ago?
Speaker 4: No, you said something else that really made me laugh a term.
Speaker 3: But we sat down.
Speaker 2: He was really into speaking old timey love.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: You said something that surprised me, but I thought it felt so natural.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, So I wish I could think.
Speaker 3: Of it anyways. It was a short word, but okay, does that help.
Speaker 4: I want to say that before we started this podcast, we were sitting down and I did something so la and I have felt bad about it for your entire interro, which is I said, have we ever met before? Which is so rude because it's me assuming that like I don't remember meeting totally, but you would remember it. And it's so like get a grip Vanessa, and I want to apologize for doing that.
Speaker 3: And I really have.
Speaker 4: Been thinking about it, and I don't think any of us have ever met before, even though that's surprising because I'm sure we have a million friends in common and we work in the same space.
Speaker 2: And can I actually come clean about something? Yes, I replied, I think we may have met at a mutual friend of ours birthday party. I actually don't think we.
Speaker 3: Met there, No, because I don't think that I really knew that mutual friend until basically I lived here.
Speaker 2: I was literally like, just say and it just like I think of a space we could have potentially met.
Speaker 4: That's so funny because as soon as I asked you that, I went, what don't ask him that?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't take it as you thinking you're hot shit?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I did, but oh my god, say more?
Speaker 2: That is? That is?
Speaker 3: That is the way to be, like, have we met?
Speaker 2: I actually felt you were being humble. You were.
Speaker 4: It was actually literally because I was like, we must have so many friends in common.
Speaker 3: How have we never met before?
Speaker 2: That's how I took it.
Speaker 4: But then as I thought about it, like as soon as I said it, I thought, this sounds like this, This little bitch.
Speaker 3: Came in here all high and mighty, going have we met? And that's the worst. And also if we had met before, it would have been so disgusting.
Speaker 2: Right to write yeah, I guess there is really no good way. There's no good outcome of you. If you or anyone saying have we met before?
Speaker 4: I could have just gone it's it's great to see great to see you.
Speaker 2: That's well, you know, how's your mom?
Speaker 1: I also want to say I personally loved that question because I George wanted to answer so bad and I could see that little boy squirm and he was like, I want to say yes, and he was like how can I? And I was like, oh, he wants to say yes so bad.
Speaker 2: The worst the worst thing I could say is no, because then there's no follow up. It's like how he met? Nor because what am I going to do?
Speaker 4: Say?
Speaker 2: Like no? But but do you know right right? It's like yeah, you know people, it's just.
Speaker 4: That I you know, I now I'm playing ketchup of like trying to fit in with like you guys have a cool cadence and you're, you know, in a cool world and I'm here, I am going have we met.
Speaker 2: And I go the cool world being the studio where you also record your own.
Speaker 1: The hyper elite world of where you also go.
Speaker 4: Honestly, we mostly record on Zoom. How did we get weird? With me and my brother Jonah Beyer.
Speaker 2: Away? Also speaking of things I'm ashamed of? It was too late for I found myself being like, welcome Vanessa Behar and then I remembered I didn't say the name of the podcast. Oh, I fucked up the one thing I fucked up, the one thing I know. I fucked up, the one thing I fucked up, the one thing that this person I've never met before in my life told me to say about her.
Speaker 4: No, I said, the one thing that I said I can promote that I love to promote is my podcast that I do with my brother Jonah Beyer.
Speaker 3: How did we get get weird?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what you were writing.
Speaker 2: Sat down, That's how you sat down. You made it.
Speaker 4: Didn't have a whole episode that we did with Bob the Drag Queen, not to name drop, where we talked about when people come up to you.
Speaker 3: And I think this has made me hyper aware of it. When people come up to you and go, do you know who I am, or do you remember who I am? And it's like yeah, and it's or go like if you go nice to meet you and they're like, we've met, and people can be confrontational, which you were not.
Speaker 2: This is a very good Okay. If someone let's say I had met you three times, yeah, but then I went nice to meet you, how would you have responded?
Speaker 4: I would have gone It's hard because I don't want to make the other person feel bad, of course, but.
Speaker 2: Then at some point where like am I that forgettable.
Speaker 3: That we it is a horrible feeling.
Speaker 1: Yes, well this I think we should all just be able to sort of download everything, like it's sort of like, yeah, we haven't met, but like here's all the context need to know, Like this is where we would have crossed paths, and even if we didn't, that's all pretty much it.
Speaker 4: When it has happened to me and the person we've met once and it's been like a it's been so insignificant, I'm like I don't of course they would.
Speaker 3: I'm never going to be like.
Speaker 2: No, Vanessa.
Speaker 4: But I do think it is kind of an l a thing it's been done to me where people pretend that they've never met you before, and you're like, you you know that we've met.
Speaker 3: You're just doing this to be so like I what I wanted to not think like I was doing, even though we both knew that we hadn't met, was being like.
Speaker 4: And you know, just being that person of like, it's so nice to meet you. I've just never you've never crossed my mind.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, well that's the other thing. Okay, I actually love this rabbit hole that we're in. Yeah, no, no, this is good because this is the other thing. Is how do you react to someone you are aware of but have not met, Like you almost want to say something that's like, well I know who you are, yes, but we've never met. But that means nothing to them. And this is not even about this is not about fame. This can be like a friend of a friend that you know, like good good friends. For example, some random gig go on Instagram exactly that like you know is good friends with your friend you know Sam, and you know that they hang out together without you, you've never crossed the pass. And then you meet them and you want to be like, oh, of course I've heard about you, But that's insane to say to something I kind.
Speaker 3: Of split the diff and I go yeah, I go, yeah, so nice to meet you, or something like that, like implying I did I have that gave me such a visceral memory, and I'm I can't believe I'm blanking on her name.
Speaker 4: But this very famous actress who's very talented, you're so you're closer she the credit that Evan Rachel would. Yes, I met her at like a karaoke after SNL one okay, and she like, I think she said her name and I was like, what, like I because I truly couldn't hear it, but I knew what she said because I knew who she was. And then I think later in the night, I like apologized to her and I was like, just I knew, like I'm so I couldn't hear you, but I knew your name is like I like came clean about it because I was like, I was like, don't act like you she had to repeat her name, like you know who she is.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is that helpful.
Speaker 1: I feel like my approach is always to sort of like be the one willing to look more shameful. Oh of course, like you just have to sort of be like like I do the embarrassing thing of literally saying like, hey, I know we've never met, like in the like friends of a friend example, like where it's like, hey, I'm Sam, we've never met in person, but like your friends with la bah lah and like I'm stupid. And usually if you can take that, that's right, if you can put your tongue out enough, then they'll be like, okay, sure.
Speaker 4: When I met you just now, I thought he and I are the same, like we're made from the same stuff, kind of brad.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? And I thought, I do.
Speaker 4: We probably handle stuff like that similarly where I do the same thing I think, and I think we're both very attractive people.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, of course we have a look where we can pull that off of being like I'm stupid.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Actually, I think you would have a harder time doing that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm of course such an urbane intellectual that people would think I was mocking them.
Speaker 1: When we met just now and we both did handshake, hug hands like not sure what to do, and then I said, sorry, I don't know, but I think it's.
Speaker 3: Like our superpower is that, like we look so unassuming that people will like be like, oh, that's okay, Like they don't know anything, like wow, they're just.
Speaker 2: They're just like, so, don't worry about her. She's a little stupid.
Speaker 1: Oh she looks a little stupid, but she's hot.
Speaker 3: Let's just unassuming, little stupid walking around and they can do whatever they want.
Speaker 1: That's what I think you both know.
Speaker 2: But you both weapons.
Speaker 1: We weaponize it.
Speaker 2: We weaponize It's not like, of course you're not unassuming. You're actually a cutthroating business wanning coming a very successful podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, uh with love sponsors to know that.
Speaker 4: But the point is we don't have any but yeah, no, we can pull it off probably better than like you probably have a harder time.
Speaker 2: I get no, you're right, I get caught off guard. And I also, I mean, we've talked about this before where it's easy for me if I'm not really focused on how I'm coming across, to come across as condescending, as rude, as like often my face just like sort of works without me realizing it. And I truly am like rolling my eyes and someone without really I used to do that a lot when I was younger, and actually I really appreciate it. Someone once was like, you can't roll your eyes at people, Like, if someone says something you think is dumb, you can't just openly roll your eyes. And I was like, huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, honestly, we could roll our eyes at anyone and they would think it was cute.
Speaker 1: The way that I've like literally tried to be serious and tried to be like, oh, I'm going to make a point to be rude to this person, and I do it like smiling. I can't drop the smile, and I'm like, it's actually ruining my life because I would love to be like pointed.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Sam does this thing often where Hill in a funny voice be like, so let's everyone have to and that's sort of like a cute See. I feel like if I did that, it would truly sound like I was mocking the people.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that's true. Now I've been questioning for you, Okay, do people ever.
Speaker 4: Think when you're just walking around somewhere? Do people ever think that you're lost?
Speaker 2: I love that you're taking this so far. You're like, are you okay? Nose. That happens to me all the time.
Speaker 3: People are like do you need help?
Speaker 1: People ask me if I need help? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you ever get asked to be your lost? Probably not?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, it doesn't help. Literally today I was walking around Los Angeles, California, and I could not stop stumbling over little sidewalk edges, and I feel like people are truly like, is he okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you have It's like you have restling lost face.
Speaker 3: We look lost or happy, whereas like you look bitchy or like I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no idea, Yeah, no, it's true. What do I do about that? Also, ultimately, here's a question, what vibe of those two is more like helps you more in your life? Because it does seem like you guys get a lot of perks that I don't.
Speaker 1: Sure people are desperate to help us out.
Speaker 4: Yes, I wonder if you Well, I'm not answering your question. You mean between being lost or happy.
Speaker 2: Between being So you guys are default either lost or happy. I am default either bitchy, condescending, or rude. That's what people see you when they when they see each of us. So which one I guess helps you more in your day to day life? Like people thinking like, oh, you're intimidating. I don't think, well, you know, maybe, but people think people are maybe less likely to come up to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if what you're asking is, are our lives easier one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Yet you think so?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: But then people, maybe you.
Speaker 1: Are getting stronger because you are learning to fend for yourself, you are learning to communicate, yes, extra because you don't want to come with people.
Speaker 2: If people think you're lost or think you are I don't know, less intelligent than you are or something, then does that then do they talk to you in like a do they not take you seriously enough? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Well, that's I think that's why comedy was the calling to be honest, because it was like, well, no one's gonna take me seriously someone as we'll lean into it. I've actually believed this before because like in college, I would try to write like serious, like serious things, like I remember writing a poem about like a guy in my hometown that totally totally and I was like, this is so fucking real. And then I read it and they were like that was really funny, and I was like, no, that was my fucking heart. Yeah, And then so then I was like, Okay, well I guess that's just what I'll sort of try to do forever.
Speaker 3: Then I have a super well, I have a trick, I guess, which is that when I was fifteen, I had leukemia and so for a long time and people wouldn't take me seriously. I'd be like, like when I had leukemia at fifteen, and then people would like shut the fuck up, like I was on top again. But in general, it seems like you guys are.
Speaker 2: Serious thing we should lie about.
Speaker 3: Well, I really did. I really did show.
Speaker 4: But I think like in general, you're right, like people people wouldn't take a like so you'd have to have some kind of like big tragedy that you could reference.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, being gay, yeah, right, of course, one of the worst things your sort of story about having a life threatening illness is being gay. I mean, there were two.
Speaker 1: People that I was close to in my life that when I came out of the closet, they were like ha ha, like.
Speaker 2: Okay, so interesting. See. I often have the opposite problem. I mean, when I'm about to say is going to make it sound like maybe I'm not a very good comedian, But I the opposite problem where sometimes I'm being very clearly sarcastic and people think I'm serious. It's like they don't accept that I'm joking. I'm like, I am a gesture too, just because I look like this.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of how you could weaponize your characteristics in the opposite.
Speaker 2: Way of I think I've weaponized them. I think sometimes people will think I think sometimes people will think I'm smarter than actually And so.
Speaker 1: You should see this guy on the sort of a business theme.
Speaker 3: So interesting you see.
Speaker 1: This guy in academia, even the way that he can sort of weaponize.
Speaker 2: The I can I can coach.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I were on a call, this is many years ago, on a call where someone was asking us to do something for truly like twenty dollars, and I was and I was like, okay, it's my time to shine. And I was like, never in my life have been have I been treated this way? And then she, the person we were on the phone with, said the word exposure. She was like, well, it would be a good exposure. I was like, exposure. Are you serious in this in twenty eighteen, You're talking about exposure like I And I was truly and and sure enough, yeah, I guess we never did that or got paid anything.
Speaker 1: So it was actually it worked out perfectly.
Speaker 2: It worked out perfectly. I do do you sometimes wonder if because of that phone call we are blacklisted's somewhere.
Speaker 1: No, because that woman had no power anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, that show never came out, so it was and l that woman was Lorde Michaels in a wig, just kidding. So yeah, so I think we both are able to let.
Speaker 3: You're able to weaponize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love when Georgia gets that way. I literally just like I basically put the phone on speaker and I start like doing the dishes. I'm like, I'm out, like, have fun out there, buddy, I'm going to hide.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 4: It's like, what a what a powerful duo you are that you have like different you know, one plays this role, the other plays this role.
Speaker 3: In between the two of you here we are.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think what you're saying is so we've noticed this a lot as we've been traveling together, where sometimes we are complimentary in a way where it's like, oh, we can do anything. It's like someone says something and we're both there and we both immediately know which one should be the one to respond to that specific thing.
Speaker 4: And also probably people are drawn to one of you because they see themselves or they see the opposite of themselves in one of you, and they and they and I'm not picking right now, I'm.
Speaker 2: Waiting to decide, but we know you're a Sam.
Speaker 3: But like they like, I'm sure, like, yeah, all you need is it's it's like you're covering so much ground between the two of you that like somebody, anyone is going to find like something.
Speaker 2: Well, we represent the melting pot of America. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: In this nation. You're either a Sam or you're George, and that's it. I have to ask, Now, does your brother do you guys have Is he your brother or podcast co host? First?
Speaker 2: Let's start there.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's really hard because we have dedicated a live star podcast. But I guess I would say he's my brother first, but then really close after that he is my podcast co host.
Speaker 1: Well, I think once he's podcast co host first, those sponsorships will just start pouring.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I want to say again, we're happy to sponsor any brand that's interested.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I am so jealous of you that you get to do a podcast with. To be clear, I am podcast wise, there's no one else relative podcast wise, there's no one else I'd rather do a podcast with, but the idea of working with I'm very close with my sisters, but they just like are obsessed with having different careers than me and refuse to give them up. Yeah, and I've like my biggest like when Amy Schumer sister started being her Kim, thank you, and that's important actually that we make space for Kim. And I'm sorry, of course, have I.
Speaker 1: Met Kim.
Speaker 2: And Kim's like I think maybe we met, but truly I was like, God, I would love like the fact that a that they get to be to It's so nice. And I'm like, why can't my sister quit medical school so you can work for me? I know? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well it's also interesting because my brother is was a music journalist. He interviewed all these bands for years and now he's become a mental health counselor. So he's so good at interviewing and talking to people in like a thoughtful way, whereas I'm just like, hey, what aren't we talking about?
Speaker 3: Let's talk about me, you know, And so it's a good mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what I was going to ask, is what the what the binary was in your Yeah, dynamic.
Speaker 2: Well, count your blessings. You people would kill it. I have what you have? Should we do our first segment?
Speaker 1: I think we should, all right, and I'm going to walk over to my phone.
Speaker 2: Of course, So Vanessa, our first segment, this is, of course, as everyone knows, a podcast about straight culture. Our first segment is called straight Shooters. And in this segment, we test your familiarity with in complicity and straight culture by asking you a series of rapid fire questions where it's this thing or the other thing, okay. And the one rule is you can't ask any follow up questions about how the game works. If you're confused, sit with that, okay. And if you do ask any followup questions, we're going to get mad. You think we're being nice, but we can get mad. As discussed, but I will.
Speaker 1: You will.
Speaker 3: You'll scare me so much.
Speaker 2: Okay, Vanessa. Putting flax seed in your granola or taking the back seat in the corolla.
Speaker 3: Putting flax seed in your.
Speaker 1: Goanaa okay, Vanessa. Gentrifying a neighborhood or petrifying a piece of wood.
Speaker 3: Beterrifying a piece of wood.
Speaker 2: Only murders in the building are only losers.
Speaker 3: At the Shindig, only losers at the Shindig.
Speaker 1: Okay, being lost to the sands of time, or peeing lots due to all the wine.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's good.
Speaker 3: Ping lots do all the wine, okay.
Speaker 2: Graduating first at Harvard Law, or having an unquenchable thirst for canned white claw m m.
Speaker 3: Graduating first at Harvard Law.
Speaker 1: Okay, knowing you're worth or forgetting your date of birth.
Speaker 3: Hmm, that's a tough one. Knowing you're worth.
Speaker 2: Okay, having an illicit affair with your boss, or having stunning red hair like Marsha.
Speaker 3: Cross having stunning red hair like Marsha.
Speaker 1: Have to okay, talking the talk, walking the walk, or chalking the chalk outline of a murder victim.
Speaker 4: God, I want to say talking the chalk out line of a murdered victim, but I think I have to say talking the talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay. So we give each of our guests, we give them a rating from zero to one thousand doves. I have to say, and I have a reason for this. I think that was maybe a perfect score.
Speaker 1: I think so too. Actually, that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: So here's my reasoning. Yeah, you started out doing the like whispery thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Then you went to normal volume okay, and then there was a grand finale where you didn't even know it was last one, but for the last one you did a little explanation of I was going to say this, but then I said this, and that to me is very much like it is the arc of a of a concept album, like a music concept album. It was about like rebirth, Well, it's am on and it is about coming of age.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course you went from a quiet little girl yeah, to an empowered woman in the span of I want to say forty five seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, Oh, thank you so much. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think this is a coincidence, but it's actually be No. I was going to say, it's about to be the Jewish New Year, and I think I'm at my best. And I hope that putting a timestamp on this doesn't mess up the fact that you are, you know, doing several podcasts.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, thank you for it is truly h Russia Shanta as we speak, Yeah, thank you for taking time out day to do a gay podcast. Shantatva.
Speaker 1: Well, should we get into our topic.
Speaker 2: I think so I'm so excited actually to talk about this topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is gonna be huge.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, Vanessa, we would love to know what your straight topic is that you brought today and maybe a little bit about what you think is straight about it.
Speaker 4: My topic is planning your output for the first day of school. And the reason that I think it's very straight is because there is this idea, at least that I always had planning my output for the first day of school, that whatever I would wear on the first day would be so impactful to my fellow classmates that it would it would turn me into like the exact student that I wanted to be, and I probably shouldn't have said the exact person I wanted to be, and that I would be so beloved and everyone would want to be my friend or have a crush on me, and that I was just reinventing myself just out of an outfit that I can't imagine was.
Speaker 3: Cool in any way looking back on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is such a genius topic because one it's like as a child to so clearly recognize the social hierarchy of like your peers is I think like one of the straightest things because it's also the goal is like how do I assimilate but like a little bit better, Like I need to play with the power structures that exist already, but be like within them, but at the top of them, and like not too far because that's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this little dance of like how do I be normal but the best normal there is?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is something people don't talk about in terms of high school archetypes. Is like, actually, most people don't want to be the popular girl. They just want to be like the third most part. Like they want to be in the upper echelon. They don't want the responsibility of being head cheerleader or football capitals.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They want to be in the like Hollywood Hills of school. Yes, yes, they want to live in the gated community, but be like middle class in that within that gated community.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they want to be popular and yet someone who's known for volunteers exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's actually the straightest thing of all because it's almost like to want to be number one is pretty gay. It's like, okay, so you want to be a star, a star, you want to be.
Speaker 1: A pop star, you want to be you want to be latey gagas.
Speaker 2: And then of course being not in the popular crowd is also gay because you're oppressed, and so basically the straightest thing is being I mean, it's sort of being like the upper middle class brunch liberal, like you're sort of like, well, I'm not. It's not my fault that there is a click problem at this school. I just have my own friend group.
Speaker 1: My hands are tied.
Speaker 2: My hands are tied, and you have blood on your hands. They might be tied, but there's blood in them.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, yeah, you hold this sis, it's to untie them.
Speaker 2: So what not to put you on the spot? What kind of outfits are we talking?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What image did you want?
Speaker 1: Do you have one?
Speaker 2: Felt like you put in the rest of these?
Speaker 3: I had this.
Speaker 4: I had this seventeen magazine, I remember that I had. I didn't subscribe to seventeen magazine, but I had this one seventeen magazine, and I had this whole article about this girl planning her outfit for the first day of school, maybe teen, planning her out for the first day of school. And I would read it every year, like in middle school before I would plan as I would plan my outfit before the school year started, and always what I would come to would be some version of.
Speaker 3: Doc Martin's.
Speaker 4: Because my brother, my older Jonah, who's two years older than me, he had Martins. It would be like I had Doc Martins, because it would be like Doc Martins, but like with something sort of like floral, so that I looked sort of edgy but also sweet. And it was crazy how I in my mind put myself through, like what does this say about me?
Speaker 3: What does that say about me? When you know it? That is no one noticed, like no one probably cared that much.
Speaker 2: But huh, and what was your normal day to day? Like, let's say, not for like just a random Dane February. What are we talking?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember. I don't think I had a very unique style.
Speaker 2: I think because Doc Martins and flowery, that to me gives like riot girl, that's kind.
Speaker 1: Of she she you look someone that knows who they are. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's very punk rock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like the version I was doing of it was very subdued.
Speaker 1: I see, ye.
Speaker 4: But I also think like that was just first day of school, and then every day after that it was like, you know, like a waffle knit long sleeve shirt from the gap with jeans or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: The way that I was always trying to brand in school. Like I remember being in eighth grade and having like one graphic tea that had like like some animal on it, and that was like it was like, Okay, I'm gonna wear this same graphic tea every Tuesday, and it's gonna be like my thing that my like classmates will know about, and they'll be like, it's Tuesday, Sam's wearing the shirt.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. God, this is actually.
Speaker 1: I actually forgot about it until right.
Speaker 2: This moment so important, which is I mean, this was to want to be known for something. I was to have a nickname, like truly, I can't even remember, Like I would just be like, oh, people are calling me Twister. Spread it around, people are calling me Twister, Like I just that's how. But I'm just like I just was so desperate to something. I always felt like I was so just like a guy.
Speaker 1: Well because I think there's almost like because it's such an ocean of like where do you want to fit in? Where do you want to fit in? Yeah, there's something about being like no, no, no, I'm choosing this Slane. Yeah, like actually, I'm gonna stop chasing. This is my thing, and everyone's gonna know this is my thing, and they're gonna love that about me.
Speaker 2: I went through a phase where I thought my thing would be bright colored corduroys, and so I bought a bunch of brightly colored corduroys.
Speaker 1: I had a like orange and yellow phase where I was like, I'm only gonna wear orange and yellow.
Speaker 2: The graphic tea, the promise of a graphic tea. How actually, graphic t is a great barometer of cool because you actually have to exude cool to look cool in a graphic tea, and otherwise you do look nerdy. Yeah. I remember one time I bought this, like truly probably from like Urban Outfitters, a T shirt that had like the teenage mutant Ninja turtles on it, and in my mind, I was like, well, that'd be a cool thing, Like if someone cool were that with like ripped jeans, it would be like a sort of fun look in like twenty twelve. And I looked so stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I was. I really was discovering what my style was.
Speaker 4: I I I got into limited To, which was a lot of.
Speaker 3: Like long necklaces and beads.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it was just it was like expense, yeah, except except it would be like a spaghetti strap shirt over a long sleep, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It was uh, never got never cool enough to just skirt over jeans.
Speaker 4: But then it got to like when I was getting you know, to seventh eighth grade, it started turned into like we got a bin in a republic at the mall and if you could afford it, although sometimes they would go on sale those super thin long sleeve shirts that sometimes they had like you know, sometimes it was like a Henley or I remember getting like one that had like just like some stripes across that like across like the chest part.
Speaker 2: Like I just.
Speaker 3: Remember being like these thin shirts are like gold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the thinner the shirt not revealing, but like, yeah, the thinner the shirt the closer to God in terms of like wow, like it's so sophisticated to have totally such a thin T shirt.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's so Dressing in high school is such a there's a misunderstanding of the chicken or the egg where you think, if you put on the cool clothes, you will be cool. But that's not what makes the cool kids cool. The cool kids are cool, and that's why they know it.
Speaker 1: I don't think the cool kids are inherently cool. I'd say, what makes the cool.
Speaker 2: Kids not inherently cool? But like, but do you think you can? Sorry, go ahead, Well, what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: Is the key was being rich. Oh interesting, that was what actually made the cool kids cool. And that's what I think of the clothes cools, because they were like buying the nicer clothes.
Speaker 2: So that was not the case. So when I lived to catch you up Ice our listeners, our listeners now, I when I was in like i'ment Trim Middle Schueler in New Jersey, and then my family, who's Greek, moved back to Greece when I was in high school, so I had very different Okay, So in New Jersey I felt like it was not related to class like the cool kids, it was purely attractiveness level. Like the cool guys were like hot and played sports. The cool girls were like hot and war and just like looked cool and had great hair. In Greece, I felt like suddenly everything shifted where the rich kids were cool. And that was to me for the longest time, which is so silly to think about now. I was like, wow, America is a meritocratic because because it is just about how attractive you are.
Speaker 1: What a beautiful country.
Speaker 2: I was really like, wow, Greece is so fucked up, Like you have to be rich to be cool.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 4: In my school it wasn't necessarily. I went to sort of like an upper middle class, you know, that was what our neighborhood was, and like I felt like it was a real mix of who.
Speaker 3: Had money and who didn't who was cool because.
Speaker 4: There was like my school I went to since I was I went from preschool to senior year, like the same school district, and I felt like people as young as I'm gonna call it third grade kind of established if they were cool or not. Yeah, and then like you could sort of shift in or out of that. But like you, you, it was sort of established so early that it had less to do.
Speaker 3: And because sometimes I would like, you know you, if you looked just objectively at like who was cool and who wasn't, you'd go like, really, like is that who made? Who decided this? But and no burn to anyone, but I guess I'm but I guess I'm burning everyone. But it sort of was like you just it was.
Speaker 4: It was like no rhyme or reason, but it's like it was decided and that's forever.
Speaker 2: You're so right, And I actually think that's an important Yeah, that's such an important part of the puzzle that sometimes it's actually grandfathered in because you just were cool in second grade. It doesn't matter how yes, you develop yes, like and it's just your grandfather did in.
Speaker 3: Your grandfathered in.
Speaker 4: And which is why I think the dream was always so many teen romantic comedies where somebody gets who's not grandfathered in, who's actually not in the popular group, somehow they become really hot in high school and somehow they start dating someone who is in the popular group and they become popular, and it's like that's everybody's dream.
Speaker 2: That's like this, that's the promise of the first school, that's the promise of the first day of school outfit. And in fact, okay, not to continue my metaphor of the upper class of high school being the sort of bourgeoisie, but to me, it's like you are like nouveau reach. You're like you're like the you're like the woman with the flashy Louisvtan purse, but the real rich women know you're not on their level.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: You get in to it from recently being hot exactly. The people are almost like, yeah, she's popular but not.
Speaker 3: Popular, and second grade are like the old money.
Speaker 2: Exact exactly, that's what it. Yes, this is genius. Yeah, it's like the old Moneys, people who have been popular since second grade. New money as people who you know, it's like, I don't want to be vulgar, but it's like you know, girls who like come back in the summer and they like gotten boops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Georgia being vulgar. You're so sorry, Oh my goodness, on my podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm offended.
Speaker 1: I the the like way that people stayed popular throughout like that always really scared me because to catch you up, I also I moved like every two to three years growing up, and so I was always going to new schools.
Speaker 3: And here was one of your parents in the Coast Guard.
Speaker 1: No, okay, but I wish how cool.
Speaker 4: Having someone in our school people move every three years because they're dead.
Speaker 2: That's what everyone asked.
Speaker 1: Youlary military, and it's like, no, just kind of a random guy. But so I was always like the first day of school mattered so much because I was like, they're gonna judge me, like this is the final exam, basically is that first outfit. And so it was a crazy little journey because like and most I got pretty good at it, Like I really did overthink it and like would hit them all and be like, Okay, what is it, what's gonna work, What's what's hitting right now? What's now what's hot? But then like it backfired so bad when I moved to Southern Virginia from Michigan and the it was like I wore like, you know, the Hollister t and the like I pretended like I was like from Cali, which like in Michigan is probably the coolest you can look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this almost from Cali. Like I've said this to you before. It's like when I when we moved back to Greece, Abercrombie, which was sort of not cool anymore in America, was suddenly the biggest sign that you were you were well traveled in Greece, like in like a smaller European country. So I was like, oh, all this stuff that I thought was uncool suddenly I would wear my Abercrombie branded hoodie and everyone would be like, oh, are you a shipping heir?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As soon as I walked into like the school in Virginia, it was truly just like gay like it was like yep, your guy. And I was like, oh no, I blew it. I blew the first day.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It's a tough line between California surfer and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a tough little line. And I had no idea they were so close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean talking about like a pukahell necklace. It's like that's It's truly like it depends on who's wearing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can be you can be like the meanest jock or you can be in the choice of on video.
Speaker 4: And then the other thing is like you, once you've worn that outfit, you have a choice, which is to really lean into it and to be like I'm going to dress like this every day until people start thinking it's cool, or to just be like never mind.
Speaker 1: By I'm very never mind think. I was like nope, no, no, no. It was like get me a vineyard, vines or something.
Speaker 2: Was cool that was cool.
Speaker 1: Cool. All were like polos and boat shoes because there it was more money based, got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see it's so funny. Of course the prep thing is money based. When I lived in New Jersey, it had like never occurred to me that that was what it was signifying. I was like, fun colors, it's just.
Speaker 3: Occurring to me now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like right, of course, Yeah, I guess it was all all money.
Speaker 1: Oh it's cut. Oh it's all money.
Speaker 2: It's all these signifiers. Actually, Like this was something especially in New Jersey. There was a sort of like I would see dads wearing salmon colored pants and I'd be like, how embarrassing are they gay? But it's just to signal that they're rich.
Speaker 3: They're rich, Yeah, they're rich. Yeah, they're just rich.
Speaker 1: They're just the other I'm realizing I had thinking about like the first day.
Speaker 2: I also had this strategy.
Speaker 1: Do you remember in like Sex and the City, when Samantha's trying to get her like boy toy to happen for time right now and it's Smith Jared Smith Jarrett, and she's like, first you get the gaze, then you get the girls, and then you're a star or whatever. I had the opposite. I was like, okay, if girls think I'm hot, then I will be protected and then boys, well, then everyone will want to be friends with me.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Would truly like target, Like I'd be like, popular girls need to like me, and as soon as they do, I'm set.
Speaker 2: And it always worked, Like yeah.
Speaker 1: It always worked.
Speaker 4: Popular girls are not only the scariest people on the planet but also like the most important if they like you. I would not say it was one of the popular girls, but they all kind of liked me, and they I felt protected.
Speaker 2: Do you feel okay? So this is related? Yeah? I do actually think when I track which years were the best years of my school life, it was based on if the popular girls like me. Wo But okay, my question is do you think okay? So there's old money popular since second grade new money got booms. But then there is a tricky third thing, which is that it is true that sometimes being funny in the right way, it is a left field way to enter the fray.
Speaker 1: That is so, and it's for both.
Speaker 2: It's more for men, more for boys rather in high school because it's like often you would see like all the popular guys are hot and then there's one guy that's not as hot. But he's the funny one, but he's like as desirable for the girls as the hot ones. And so that is almost like if there's old money and new money, that is almost like, I mean, how would you what is what is the metal way in the in the financial, in the economic and the economy.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I'm really racking my brain and you've stumped me, to be honest.
Speaker 3: See that's like that is God, that's almost okay. If there's old money, which is became popular in second third grade, there's new money. Who's the people who sort of like have this big mostly.
Speaker 4: Physical transit glow up in high school, and that's new money. I would say that the funny particularly guy coming into like the popular group is.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, I have a swing. It's like fame exactly. It's like they don't have the money, but they're invited to the cool thing.
Speaker 2: It's something that blinds you where suddenly money doesn't matter. It's like, yeah, they're like the talented artists, the talented creative the like, and being in proxity, in close proximity to them makes the old money like makes the old money.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, they're like they have like the prestige of of yeah, of fame they have their their status is not from money, but it's so it's it's almost it like allows them to kind of rise above everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's the priceless thing. It's like the it's the thing that you can't get with money. Yes, talent, that's right, that's wow.
Speaker 3: I mean now I'm in it.
Speaker 4: I think I was in a different class because I was. I had really good friends that are still my closest friends to this day, which is very straight to me.
Speaker 2: Well, we literally have done an episode where the topic was friends from home.
Speaker 3: Yes, I listened to real Yes, Yeah, so I listened to the whole thing.
Speaker 4: And and I but but and I feel that my friends that I'm still friends with were all like very cool, but they just weren't like part of like the most popular yes group or whatever. But I would say because I was friends with them, and because I was like accepted by the popular girls, and I was in a lot of classes with the and and close with a lot of like really smart people too, which this did not happen.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you were sort of like the Queen Bee.
Speaker 3: I sort of, I sort of was.
Speaker 4: I wasn't cool, but I was sort of friends with everybody, and I guess I'm bragging about you.
Speaker 3: I think I was a politician.
Speaker 2: That's right, And actually that is a fourth type that is all money artist, sort of famous artist.
Speaker 3: Politics, politician, and actually politicans.
Speaker 2: It's so true because I can think, literally, I can think of who in my high school was the politician. Yes, it is. It's always one person and it's truly like and then people will be like, oh, well you know that Vanessa, she's a politician. She'll be president one day. Like it's it's something I.
Speaker 3: Did get most likely to succeed.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, obsessed And actually this goes back to you.
Speaker 3: It came out too fast.
Speaker 1: No, I'm like, this is this is my of Vanessa at the lunch table. Wait have we met?
Speaker 2: Well, you really have shown all parts of your person there. It's like first you like immediately zeroed in on the like lost sort of lost kitten thing. You were like, oh, but I can I a web and weaponizing that is how you become a politician. That's because you're like, oh, I'm innocent, I'm pure, I'm lost. Yeah, can everyone someone explain it to me? And then people start gathering around and you're like, okay, so you're gonna be my hair person. You there.
Speaker 3: Because I'm like.
Speaker 4: In the classes, like I was in a lot of AP classes, but it was sort of like, okay.
Speaker 2: Again you're ragging. You're so you're smart too.
Speaker 3: The thing that to make a point, because which was i'd go up to like you know, it'd be like the murder kids were like they were also my friends. I was like, can you tutor me? Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, but that is a politician thing. That is a politician thing, because famously, a politician is never and I'm not saying this to offend you by any but it's like a politician.
Speaker 3: Is feels like you're speaking directly about is never.
Speaker 2: Like the number one student, let's say, but it's the one who can who can sort of manipulate everyone to their advantage. Because if you were the number one student, you would become a doctor. Yeah, you wouldn't want to be apolis. You never get elected exactly. Yeah, I'm not going to make the joke I was going to make, but it was homophobic.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say, like I might make you mis take this up.
Speaker 1: That's perfect, my bo.
Speaker 4: Biden is that I had leukemia, if that makes sense totally.
Speaker 2: I see, so you even had you even I.
Speaker 1: Actually was going to bring this up and then I was like that, don't feel inappropriate. But I was like, so you had everything was perfect about you. But then whenever someone was like she's perfect, she has it all, you could be like, no, sweet.
Speaker 3: I had lukemia in high school.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's my common app essay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so look at me. I've I get diagnosed with gumia.
Speaker 4: In ninth grade of spring break, miss, fourth quarter of ninth grade, come back, tenth grade miss is a lot of school.
Speaker 3: But I'm getting better and and okay, and then my senior year, I'm prom queen, most likely to succeed, best personality, best smile a most optimistic. I don't know why to roll off my tongue so quickly.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you were allowed to get more than one.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe they've changed their roles. Maybe I messed up for everybody else, don't care van.
Speaker 2: Clause get more than one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I guess the point is I remember those two clearly.
Speaker 3: And also, yeah, I'm the politician.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, I mean this is I literally feel like I'm like watching the end of Survivor or something, it's like, oh.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, like, oh, it's been her the whole time. Yeah, this is so fascinating. And the fact that we actually also have the self knowledge. Yes, the self awareness is the scariest part.
Speaker 3: I feel. Yes, yes, I feel like I'm I guess I'm a silent killer.
Speaker 1: I think it's safe to say that, wow secrets out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, I.
Speaker 2: Guess.
Speaker 3: So where would you each say you just stick it off of me?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Where would you say you fall in the would you both say that you're the Oh talent?
Speaker 2: I see, I seem okay, this is a good this is a very good.
Speaker 1: I think I was definitely the talent. I think I was like the funny kid, and I also think it was charming that I was sort of non threatening and that like both like the girls weren't threatened because they were like, he seems nice, and the boys weren't threatened because they're like, he doesn't seem like he's going after girls. So it was sort of like I was just sort of like.
Speaker 3: The pal But that's I had a little of that too, So you you maybe were a little bit of the politician.
Speaker 1: I think I might have been a little bit of a little Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I was. Okay, I think I was the second best politician, which is the worst place to be, which is I was like, I'm like, I have the talent in me, I could be the politician, but there was always someone that was better at being the politician than me. So I was sort of like a second class politician. Like I was like the you know, the Kamala.
Speaker 1: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I was the comment.
Speaker 1: Were you working with the other politician and like sort of or were you like trying to bring them down?
Speaker 2: No, because ultimately I recognized that the other polic I was jealous of the chest you.
Speaker 3: Can think of your head of a specific politician.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was, and he had he was just like a more charismatic version of me. I would say. But here's the thing. I also was like, oh, he's also what frustrated me is. I was like, he's also a little corny, and I'm like, don't people see that I'm like the politician, Like yeah, if you sort of like if you want someone to follow, but you're sort of cool and have a sense of humor, I'm your guy. Why are you still following?
Speaker 1: You were too radical?
Speaker 2: I was too radical.
Speaker 1: You were Bernie?
Speaker 2: I was you were Bernie. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Like people with tastes were like, well, of course.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I was Bernie. Maybe even Dennis Kucinich. Yeah no, that's actually that's so true.
Speaker 1: And stuck with your morals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean remember the Georgia Awards. I feel like that's classic me trying too hard to be politician.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I made up something in middle school, no, elementary school, called the Georgia Wards, where I just out of nowhere printed out ballots and was like, oh my god, hot a sky cutest couple, and I made everyone vote.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: This was not high school, to be clear, I was like four third graders.
Speaker 1: Think the number keeps getting smaller and small.
Speaker 2: I don't like I was not It was elementary school. M it was okery, New Jersey, So I can't be all accountable. I was blind to buy all the salmon colored culture. The culture was. The culture was so different. I was from me different anyway. Yeah, no, I was. I didn't have what I guess now you would call chill like I was just like I don't want to be. I don't want to be on top. Yeah, I want to be on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow. Anyway, this was I think we're bringing so much shame to each of us.
Speaker 2: And I actually felt so raw and vulnerable right now.
Speaker 4: But I feel like it's so nice to be able to look back and recognize what you were doing.
Speaker 3: You didn't even know you were doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I have a question.
Speaker 3: And also we had good intentions. No one was trying to I.
Speaker 2: Never wanted to hurt yeah anyone.
Speaker 3: I genuinely was like, Okay, I'm going to tell a story. No, it's too politician.
Speaker 2: I want to do it.
Speaker 3: I won't. I won't.
Speaker 1: Okay. I have a question related to this top day, Okay, and I want to know does dressing for the first day of school translate to dressing to the first day of work.
Speaker 2: The way you took the words regiment. WHOA Really I've been for the past five minutes, I've been like, that's gonna be my next question, all right.
Speaker 1: Because for me, well, I honestly have never had like a traditional office job.
Speaker 2: I feel like, okay, all right, here's what I'll say. Dressing for the first day of school, there's something a little sort of like tryhard pathetic about it. But when you're starting a new job, it's like, well, yeah, if you take yourself seriously, you will look at on your first day, like I think I am pro looking pro turning a look for the first day of a job.
Speaker 1: See, in my mind, I would be embarrassed of like dressing up too much. It would kind of be the same thing, right, like overthink how can I look casual but smart and cool.
Speaker 2: It was also something about a jobhere, it's like you applied, you were accepted. Now you have to turn it out. Whereas school, it's like, yeah, you're in a public school, so is everyone like yeah, what do you think you are? Giselle bunchkin eye? Everyone else is also in school. You didn't have to like apply.
Speaker 1: Orse, I feel like, okaye, you weren't that popular. Who do you think you are? Just a you're in public school, Mama.
Speaker 2: First at a job, you're like, you're like, yeah, you did a you like good, you know, congrats on hiring me. I look stunning. Yeah, like I wouldn't, I think. Okay, first of all, you have had first oh no, but I guess most recently was on.
Speaker 4: Okay, I remember interview outfits being very huge. And I remember both summers when I was in college, I interned, and I remember my intern interviews. My friend Cheryl still a very good friend in a very politician way, er took me to Banana Republic, and I had to be like both summers, I bought like a new pair of like dress pants and shirts and dress and she was in the business school like button down shirt and none of the jobs that I was interviewing for were like that's what you would wear for like business internships. But I was interning at like TV like more in the TV world, and so I I think I looked over dressed for both of my interviews, but I wanted to look like a little business lady when I went to those interviews, and I remember that being very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do, Actually you saying that, I do remember wearing a full suit to an internship interview.
Speaker 4: Because I was like, that's what you do, That's what people wear at jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like that's what that's what my dad wants. Yeah, wear your little suit and go to your interview. Yeah. And I bombed, I tell you, I bombed so hard and felt so stupid.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had one of those jobs or one time once in my life. And in fact, our friend Pat has a joke about this, which is like lying about knowing Excel, but then they make you do it. I really did one time have like an interview where they actually give you a computer and tell you to do something in Excel and they projected onto the world and I did not. I just simply did not.
Speaker 3: What was Can I ask what the type of job it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was at a tech company and it was something along the lines of like project managed, project associated, like just some sort of like nothing title where it's like, yeah, your job would have been literally to do Excel, but it's not coding. It's not like you had to yeah you know C plus plus or something like. It's like, so what did you say? I mean? I really just sat there. Well, okay, so I knew this was coming. So I had spent a week googling around and learning like the main things you should learn. Oh that's good, but it was not enough because you can't just in a week learn like if if you're.
Speaker 3: Excel just putting stuff into a grid or.
Speaker 2: There's more. That's it's crazy. They it's actually so dishonest to be like, do you know Excel, because.
Speaker 1: Because it's like, well, I know, I know how to put stuff into one Cel. But then there's like it gets really it gets you.
Speaker 2: Even back then, I yeah.
Speaker 1: George's seventy two.
Speaker 3: By the way, even a few years ago, I would think.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's been like that since. Like, Excel is like secretly one of the most powerful tools at our disposal and we have no idea about it.
Speaker 3: Billivy.
Speaker 4: Do we use Excel when we fill out the show descriptions for the podcast?
Speaker 2: But yeah, you can use it for that. But then imagine, imagine this, Vanessa, that same spreadsheet you use to just do the podcast descriptions someone can use to literally like solve a really difficult equation.
Speaker 3: Right because it's like X yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Say no more, okay, your genius. Oh so you know Excel. Somebody go to the laptop. Laptop, We've got the job. You better wear a suit to your first day, Well, Vanessa, I'm keeping eye on the clock. Any final thoughts on the topic of wearing, sorry, planning your outfit for the first day of school.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess my final thought is what how far we've come that we've taken it from you know, how will I be perceived on the first day of school to figuring out how each one of us fell into the hierarchy of of old money versus new money, versus politician versus famous talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm obsessed with our so I actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's it's like as big of a deal as the thing that they say is like on every TV show in Seinfeld where there's like Seinfeld is an example where there's like the Princess the other three.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I did once read this at some point in my life. This is the rent. I don't have the information that this is that. Yes, yes, yes, no, I completely agree. And actually, if you're listening to this and you're in high school, let's hope you're in the right group, because unless you're planning on developing over the summer to change time, yeah.
Speaker 3: As you're planning on being the new money, which anyone.
Speaker 2: Can anyone, well not anyone, anyone. Well maybe you can buy you really show stopping outfit.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, the outfit won't do it.
Speaker 2: It won't do it. The best you can hope for, I mean.
Speaker 3: What are the people that are in none of the groups we just mentioned.
Speaker 2: The lower classes, right, the proletariat, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which in our I didn't invent the system, of course. To bring it back to straight culture, I'm like, okay, so then where does so often we in fact talk about class rather than sexuality. Yeah, which does make it co which doesn't make it complicated. So I'm like, right, so in that sense, I mean, of course, the politician and the talented famous are the most queer things you can be, because they're like unique and sort of court gestures that are well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very like whisper networks, exact power. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I guess the lower classes are also queer, but like in a flop way, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the way that being gay in high school was like okay, like better be like a famous politician exactly, because it was like, if you're not, it's very much like you were choosing a sexuality is a choice, of course, so you're when you are gay in high school, it's like, okay, you are either going to be the bottom of the bottom or the tippy toddling like and.
Speaker 2: Actually being a politician, for a gay man especially is often the way to worm your way in. Yeah, it's actually it really I'm trying to think for gay women and for other people on the LGBTQ spectrum, for gay men especially. I really do think being a politician is the way in, don't you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's almost what's that thing of Like it's not like making a deal the devil, but there's some like sociological term for being like, Okay, I know I'm on the outside, but I'm going to side with the power because that's the only way for me to have power.
Speaker 2: It's also sort of a way to de sexualize yourself because you're like, I'm not gay, I'm class president.
Speaker 1: Any questions, right, Yeah, would a gay guy be organizing prom.
Speaker 2: Good point? Wow? Wow? Should we do our final segment?
Speaker 1: I think we should do our final segment is this.
Speaker 2: Has been an absolute life.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm having so much fun.
Speaker 1: Would you like to sure our final segment is called shout Outs, and in this segment we pay homage to the great straight oral tradition of the radio shout out to anything that we enjoy So pretended two thousand and one. You're at TRL shouting out to your squad back home, but about anything that you like and George and I are going to go first. Ye do you have one?
Speaker 2: I could do one? Okay, it's sort of okay, it has two parts. Okay, what's up, freaks and losers? Back home? I want to give a shout out to the new album mid Air by Romy, which I have been absolutely obsessed with over the last few days. And if you don't know, Romy is the one woman in the XX, the band that was at the top of the world in exactly twenty twelve. Now here's the thing with me. I spent the last week staying with my friends who are a queer women couple in Berkeley, California, and I was out on my walks listening to this album that is about queer woman love. It is literally all about how much she loves her wife. And so here I am waking up with two women that are in a relationship, going out listening to music about women that are in a relationship, coming back to two women in a relationship. I have never been more optimistic about the state of queer women in our society. I think we are ready for a lesbian president. I think they are the backbone of the LGBTQ plus community, and I think pretty much. No one who is in a queer woman should be an artist or a politician moving forward. So shout out to Romy, shout out to my friends Randon, Emma, and shout out to queer woman everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I was gonna do Seattle. What we already talked about it. You can do it though, No, no, I know, I'm going to branch out. Okay, Portland, what's up preaklusures and perports around the globe. I want to give a huge shout out to the California vibe. I have been walking around and everybody it's so chill, so attractive, so young. Where do they keep the old people here? Anyway? I have been sort of loving it in a way where I'm like, what if I wasn't critical of my surroundings. What if I simply saw it and I said, yeah, that's good. I'm gonna do that, and everything is pretty, everything's comfortable, the plants are nice, and I'm saying, yeah, okay, this is great for me. But if I just chilled out, was happy, had a beautiful home and a beautiful life, what if I didn't need strife and pain and inconveniences to you know, move through the world. So I want to give a shout out to the California vibe. You guys are doing it right. I know there is darkness here, but I don't see it. Yes, aeroic so Sam.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I feel like which thing to do?
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, I'm ready, Okay, what's up, y'all? This is Vanessa Bayer from Cleveland, Ohio, and I just wanted to say a shout out to silium husk.
Speaker 3: Cilium husk. What is it? It's some kind of a husk that makes you shift. People take it every day.
Speaker 4: Some people take it in pill form, some people take it in powder forms. Some people take it in these little kind of uh they break it up and it sort.
Speaker 3: Of feels like it's little pieces of trusk.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: Anyway, if you incorporate into your diet, it's a lot of fiber and it can really help keep things in this crazy world.
Speaker 3: It can help keep things regular.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean I never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Oh honey, it's in your peer for men.
Speaker 2: Oh good, Okay, I take it.
Speaker 1: I mean to come on and take it daily, to come on a gay podcast and we're we know. I was like, okay, this you're literally stealing this.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing. We actually I have never looked into what is in Pure for Men. By the way, if they want to be advertisers, we both use.
Speaker 3: It happens to us on our podcast is a lot too where we're like, we're we're promoting this thing about these people.
Speaker 2: And by the way, people have told me that Pure forre Men is just overpriced normal fiber that you can get in the store, of course, but if they want to be an advertiser, I will actually go live on air and say that that's actually incorrect.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I don't care branded for gay guys. Yeah, it's just normal fibers.
Speaker 2: Branded for branded for gay guys, Vanessa, and I.
Speaker 3: Want to know, like what is in there that I can't have?
Speaker 1: Right, So basically, if you take even one, you could die.
Speaker 2: I mean I am by the way, Yeah, Like, okay, I understand not to be like I love companies, but like the fact that they branded for gay men, I'm like, I support that. Why would I want to.
Speaker 1: Give my money to something that's I hate companies, But I'm.
Speaker 4: Just saying, like if it is mostly cillium husk, which maybe it isn't, but like if that's.
Speaker 2: The it's a proprietory blend.
Speaker 1: There's a whole bunch of different little things in.
Speaker 3: The Okay, okay, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to have something for gay guys that's still branded. Like it's sort of like dude wipes or something totally total.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, it's like Sanseraf, like black Blue. It's not like, hey, queen, it's very like if you're a man, you can take it like a man.
Speaker 1: It's actually insane.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I need to order another bottle me too. I'm freaking out of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, then that's not we're getting you some Wow. Wow, another incredible in the bag.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I'm so ready to get out there and get another Airwan's movie.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, there's so much stuff to get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know what, there's another.
Speaker 4: Episode I like using monk fruit sweetener, Like I'm, I'm. It's it's supposed to not affect your like blood sugar levels, but it's a it's like a different form of like sort of like a sugar type of thing. Okay, they have like monk fruit sweetener, sweetened maple syrup, chocolate chips, like, they have so many monk fruit, sweetened things, cooking baking stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you guys wish you hadn't asked me this?
Speaker 1: No idea?
Speaker 2: I've never been more. Oh. I was like, I want to know where you're going with it. Oh, so you like that, that's it? Okay, got it? Got it? Okay? Well, but also.
Speaker 3: They have they have, you know, prepared foods.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of you having like the funniest episode. You're doing such a good job, and then the final question you crack.
Speaker 1: Oh it's like a full half hour.
Speaker 2: So then they have the sandwich.
Speaker 1: So the sandwich is kind of interesting because you guys are just sitting there like like, well, okay, this has been incredible, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And then you don't forget to listen to Vanessa's and Jonah bears podcast, Yes how did we get weird?
Speaker 3: Wherever you got your podcast?
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts?
Speaker 2: All right, bye y'all, Bye bye,