Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Bill Courtney with an army of normal folks. And we continue now with part two of our conversation with Jessica Lamb. Right after these brief messages from our Generals sponsors, we now returned to Jessica on how she tried to escape sigh her sex trafficker.
Speaker 2: So I went to the bathroom and flushed the toilet, walked downstairs, sat on the front porch, lit a cigarette, and I looked across the street and there was a Salvation Army that had just opened. And I looked at the Salvation Army and I looked back at the door of the house, and then I looked back at the Salvation Army, dragged off my cigarette, flicked it, and I ran ran right into the Salvation Army and I said I need to use your phone, and they were like, we're not letting you use our phone unless that it's emergency. And I was like, I need to call my one one and they were like, okay. I didn't call nine one one. First first person I called was my dad and my dad was like, I was like, Dad, I'm in trouble, and he's like, what did you get yourself into this? Time, and I didn't even respond. I hung up immediately. Next I called my grandmother. I said, memewhile, I'm in trouble. I need help now, and she's like, call nine one one. So I hung up with her. Called nine one one. This is my first time ever calling the police for help. The police officer comes out and he says, he goes, what's the situation. I was like, this guy did this to me last night. I need to get my keys, I need to leave. I need to get out of here. I'm scared, and he was like, I'm sorry. He was like, I just got on duty. I really don't want to be bothered with paperwork. And he's like I really don't want it to deal with this. And he's like, and why are girls like you over here anyway? And I was like, what is that supposed to mean?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And like that never really made any sense to me. I still still doesn't make sense to me. But he gets sigh outside and he's like, she's lying, she's full of shit, she's nothing but trouble. And he's like, I want her out of here anyway. And he's like, well, go get her keys and let her get out, and so he goes, I get my keys, traffic her and the cop fist bump each other on the front porch. I get in my car and I leave. No reports made, or I don't there was no report made. Well, actually there probably was a report made, but like nothing, like he just didn't want to like go through the due diligence of doing the entire investigation of what's going on. And I ended up going to the guy that I was talking to in high school and I went to his house and I told him everything, and he's like, well, now that you have experience, do you think I cannot get some? And I was like, this nightmare is never going to end.
Speaker 1: So I ended up Did you ever contemplate suicide?
Speaker 2: Multiple times? It's actually something I struggled with for years and years and years.
Speaker 1: Was I mean, you can only get abused so much.
Speaker 2: I carry a lot of heaviness, and it was something that always crossed my mind on a daily basis. And I don't know if it's just I'm resilient as hell or what, but like I'm I'm still breathing and I'm still here. But I remember leaving way boyfriend's house because of his comment, and I went straight to my me Mall's house and she held me and I told her everything.
Speaker 1: You told her everything?
Speaker 2: I told her everything was that hard for you. No, my me Mall is my safe haven. In fact my logo. I can get into that with air eye when we talk about it. But my grandmother loves birds, and so she's the one that she doesn't one to save me. So she drove my car that she gave me for a Christmas present that my trafficker would use to traffic me and hit it behind her house and she would. I would sleep all day and then I would stay up all night because I was so scared this guy was going to come for me. Everywhere I went, I thought I was seeing him. He had so like even away from him. I was terrified that he was going to find me. I doubt he ever was looking for me, but I remember traumatized. I was obviously terrified. Yeah, I was terrified this guy was going to come for me. And I ended up staying with my grandmother and my aunt, and they made sure that I went and got mental health counseling. They would take me to my GED classes, which I still was failing. They would help me with all kinds of things, And there were times that like I wouldn't be invited to like family gatherings, and my grandmother said, well, she's not If she can't be there, then I'm not coming. And so she would make me Thanksgiving dinner or make me Christmas dinner, and I would eat with her, and she advocated for me so much, and she never turned her back on me. And she's I think she turns eighty seven this week, and I guess spend Christmas with her.
Speaker 3: But she's my She's my she is definitely my savior through all of this, and even this all led to a life of addiction homelessness.
Speaker 2: I went and tried to go into the adult entertainment industry independently. I didn't work in strip clubs, but I would like I was doing my own thing. I tried to addition to be a suicide girl.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: Don't google it, but it it's basically alternative looking girls that do webcams or different types of like just edgy girls that that do sex stuff on video or take pictures. And so I was trying to dabble into that. So I was like, that's that was the only way I knew how to make money.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, this is just.
Speaker 1: From you were part of this organic, suburban Christian family and hearing these things is it's just gut wrenching. And I mean when you were going through all of this as a result of being molested in your own home, never being able to figure out a way out, and then when you when you confronted your blest your father didn't believe you, which makes you feel even more lone, and then what you ended up with with SIH. I mean, all of it I've sat and listened to, and I you know, I got to ask you, deep inside that brain of yours, there was still a foundation you had to have been You had to have been struggling with reconciling where your life was and where you started. You had to have been dealing with that, right were you? I mean you had to have been looking in the mirror going what what happened? I guess I'm struggling for There's an identity inside you that is not all of this. Did you feel that conflict?
Speaker 2: There is a lot of times that I would look in the mirror and I'm like, how did I get here?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm asking?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like like like what that like literally what the hell, you know, like like just something just screaming inside of me, like like.
Speaker 2: I've got to keep pushing through, Like I don't I don't know what it was, but I was like I gotta keep going. And and I think I I think I owe a lot of that to my grandmother, a very praying grandma. So she I think she's the one that just really kept me going.
Speaker 1: And uh, well this life stopped at some point, how.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me can we I'm gonna do whatever, Okay. So I basically was, you know, I didn't want to be, like I said, a burden on my grandmother, and so I ended up leaving her house for a while, and I ended up just finding myself living in like dope houses, like out of my car. I was dating a guy that was like twice my age. We had three children together that that I miscarried. He ended up committing suicide, and I I just remember like just feeling a lot of hopelessness. But even when I was on the streets and I was living out of my car with that had busted out windows because my ex had thrown a piece of firewood through my windows of my car. When I try to leave I am. I remember just trying to pull myself out of this hole, and my grandmother and my aunt continued to advocate.
Speaker 1: For me and true unconditional love.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I even remember my mom like meeting me at gas stations because I was hungry, and she's like, I know you're hungry, and I know you can't come back home, but she would bring me food because I was hungry, you know. And I remember being on drugs so bad. She took me out for lunch one day and I was nodding out and I almost dropped my entire head into a bowl soup right in front of my mom. I will never forget that. And like I was ashamed and humiliated, and.
Speaker 1: That's what I was asking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt I was embarrassed, Like who, Like I didn't even recognize myself honestly.
Speaker 1: And I haven't.
Speaker 2: There's mugshots of me on LinkedIn, and you know you can see that the light my eye was just completely gone. And so I I remember my breaking point was I was pregnant with my daughter, Elizabeth, and I miscarried her at four and a half five months and I remember bringing her. I remember bringing her home. My parents were out of the country, and my aunt sat in the hospital with me, and I remember bringing her home and I and I buried her in my parents' backyard and I had a memorial for her. And that was my breaking point of I cannot live like this anymore. The guy I was dating was in and out of jail for drug charges. I was addicted to meth. I was just everything was just terrible, and I was like, I can't live like this. And I remember my aunt being on the front porch one day and she's like and she was going through her own hell, and she was like, when you're ready to get off this stuff, we're here. We're not going to give up on you. So there was always a place for me to shower, always a place for me to eat, always a place for me to sleep. My Mema would make a palette for me on on her floor, because she had a small house, and she'd make a little palette for me on the floor. And sometimes I would sleep in the bed with her and she would play a gospel music when she go to sleep, and so I would feel so much peace and safety with my grandmother. And even to this day, like whenever I feel tired or just need a place to rest, I can know that I can go there. And I used to pull her bed sheets back for her every night, and I still do that today whenever I go to visit her, I turn her bed back for her. But I remember, like my breaking point was just losing my last child, and I, uh, I was like enough, So I got clean and I uh just completely did a one, like a just completely turned everything around. And I started getting involved in anti track can work through my friend Casey's organization for Sarah and she she's the one that was in the strip club across the street from when I was in the hotel, so she's a survivor from the adult entertainment industry. But I ended up volunteering with her org, and so I was working with them, and I started noticing we were looking at these ads of girls that were advertising online trying to extend services, not trying to convince them to, you know, do whatever, just saying hey, if you're in any kind of situation and we can help you out, let us help you out. You know, we have scholarships if you want to go back to school, so we'd raise money to help them do that. And I started saying, like these girls have all matching tattoos, and I was like, I recognize these.
Speaker 1: Things all matching tattoos or.
Speaker 2: Match very similar tattoos to Like some of the girls had the same tattoos some of the girls. I was like, oh, I had a tattoo that was similar to that, or I was like, I started just noticing patterns of some of the girls on these ads.
Speaker 1: Were they like the ones you had?
Speaker 2: Some of them were similar. Of course they're not gonna be the ones. Yeah, like things that were pertained to money or to the game or street name or you know, dollar signs. People talk about barcodes. It's not that common.
Speaker 1: I got a question. Yeah, now I'm gonna tell a terrible joke or ask a stupid question. But I mean, is there a pimp school? I mean, how do how does this tattooing girls thing go around? Apparently this is a thing among pimps or traffickers or whatever. This is clearly as I'm listening to you, I'm discovering that I guess girls are tattooed as if they belong to a pimp or a trafficker, or I mean, is that the deal?
Speaker 2: I actually train on this. I trained in iconography, and the identifying icnography.
Speaker 1: What is that word?
Speaker 2: Icronography is basically the study of an image in the background of where the image comes from. So I actually go when I do trainings around, I've done sixty five hundred trainings. I've trained sixty five hundred individuals this year alone through conferences and podcasts and all kinds of things, and I train people on this isn't a new thing. People have been branded since ancient Rome. I take this thing all the way back and I go through the history of human branding and how it started, and how we saw it go through the Armenian Genocide, how we saw it go through Holocaust, how we saw it.
Speaker 1: I just swear to you, I was sitting there thinking about the inside of the risks that I've seen of Jewish Holocaust survivors that were tattooed like their inmate number. I don't know the right word for it, but.
Speaker 2: I go through. I go through this whole training for like an hour, and I train people on the indicators and the tattoos and all that kind of stuff. So, but that's kind of jumping way ahead of how I started. Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I get it, and we've got to go back and stay chronologically in order. But the point is you started noticing these girls having similar looking tattoos. Yeah, which we're talking about brands. Yeah, we're talking about human ownership, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Pretty. I mean it's not always. Sometimes I've worked with women that have had these tattoos and men that have had tattoos, and it's not nobody's like sitting on them making them get him. Sometimes it's the manipulation or are they are truly like in love with their traffic, or there's like a soul tie there or there there's that trauma bond there, and so they're wanting to show that they're loyal. I've covered up tattoos or our artists that we work with have covered up tattoos on women that were like, I loved this man and I wanted to show him that I was loyal to him and I wanted the touch, although.
Speaker 1: The love was completely perturbed wrong. So we did a We talked to deb Ellinger, who is in Detroit and she works providing food and clothing for women in the street of Detroit, very much in the same situation like what you're talking about. And she's just constant, consistent and she will rate for three or four years for girls that finally want to get out of the life, and then they provide everything for them. And you talk about a grassroots cow. She's unbelievable. She's from the opposite. She was a cop and then started doing this. But every time she pulls up to the street corner or the house or the drug house or the trafficking house, whatever, and it's two three times a week, the same girls come out, and she says to them, every time, you are worthy, you have value, you are loved. She's trying to counteract the sick stuff that's been putting these kids head. And when you're ready, I will take you from here. And I ask her, when these people are often living in homes without running water, without electricity, and they're being pimped out for food and oftentimes drug use and everything else. And you pull up and you've been there for two or three years, you have to develop some type of relationship and report these folks. Why wouldn't they jump in your truck and run like Ellen, she said this. They are affixed to that trauma and they really don't know a way out. And the truth is, the fear of the unknown, of a clean life is worse than the fear of the abuse that they're living in, because at least they know those rules. So it's just I want you to hear me. I do not want people to think, well, these are adults, they can always get away. There's this grip of this lifestyle that holds people that don't even want to be in it, and they're almost wrestling with themselves to get out. And I've learned that through people I've met and everything else. And your story is yet another illustration of how that trauma affects somebody and how phenomenal your story is that you did get away from it. So tell me that you did get away from it. Let's get to the good part of the story, and we will right after these brief messages from our generous sponsors.
Speaker 2: So, like, I was working with my friend's org, which is a survivor led organization, and we were noticing the tattoos, and so we started documenting them, and.
Speaker 1: You started documenting the girls tattoos that you saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if we found out that they were like in need of like law enforcement help, or they were in need of getting out of the situation like we were like hey, or if there was somebody that was missing, Like, we've actually recovered children that were like being advertised on back page when back page was the thing set back page. Back Page is kind of like Craigslist. So there used to be the adults for people. Yeah, you've never heard of back page.
Speaker 1: No, ma'am.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm sorry. So back page. You could buy a car on back page. You could sell car on back page.
Speaker 1: It's okay. I was thinking the farious stuff. Yes, back in the day, there was a website they would advertise you could like it was like a groag cell online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there was also places where you could also purchase or find a date or you know all, so there was all. So we would call these girls that were working online when backpage was up and running, but it ended up getting shut down, so I mean they just moved to different platforms. It's still out there. But I started like, we've recovered missing people like that were missing from their families in ways that we were able to do. It was we would notice, like there was one young lady that had her street name tattooed across her claviical and trafficked. Yeah, and her grandmother was like, we can't find we can't find the girl, and Casey was able to find her. We were able to get her recovered and return back to her family. But like she had she had a tattoo, and I was actually.
Speaker 1: On identified her from her street name on.
Speaker 2: Her shoulder she had it on there, and then her the way she looked like. I I didn't identify a Casey founder, but we were able to. I actually got the the honor to cover that up for her several months ago. So but yeah, we were able. Like I started documenting these and we started putting in on the sheets of different tattoos that we were seeing. And I remember one day the founder of the org called me and she goes, you're really into tattoos and all that. She's like, I have this young lady. She's got REV tattooed on the back of her neck because her trafficker called himself the Reverend, so she had r EV tattooed on the back of her neck. And she's like, can you get her connected to a shop? And I was like on it. And so like I got on Facebook and I was friends with a tattoo artist on there, and I asked him he was really like down the street from where I live, and I said, uh, would you be interested in helping me cover up this tattoo for this young lady that's been through some some hell of stuff, you know, And he was like absolutely, I'm down. I didn't have organization, I didn't have a nonprofit, I didn't have fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: So I name you also had your own tattoos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still have my own tattoos. I hadn't even covered up yet, right yeah, And so I was like, yeah, cool, I'll do that, Like I'll love to help her out, bring her to the shop. We covered it with this gorgeous rose with a butterfly, and I remember her looking in the mirror. I'll never forget it, and she literally fell to her knees crying. Again. Casey was there with me, the shop shop artist was crying and she was like thank you. And then like something inside of me was like this is my niche like I found it. I found it, Like I loved working with for Sarah and I actually was their outreach director for a long time. But I was like, I I just felt this fire like I can't even describe it. I just got like super excited, and some one thing inside of me was like, this is my thing, hold it.
Speaker 1: Why does this matter?
Speaker 2: Why does this matter? Well, I had my own I had my own stuff, right, and I knew the feelings that I felt with mine. And then when I went and tried to go get mine covered up, the artist was a complete douchebag. Just being honest, man like, he was like making like just just off, just disgusting comments, like the music he was playing was like giving me a freaking headache. He was not trauma informed or sensitive. He was rude and like he covered up my tattoos and did a crappy job. And I remember sitting in that tattoo chair and thinking, I don't ever want to see another survivor have to deal with somebody like this, and come hell or high water, I will make sure that they don't.
Speaker 1: And the point is by getting rev turned into a flower with a butterfly.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's beautiful, all right.
Speaker 1: Turned into a beautiful flower the butterfly, it changes from a reminder of the worst part of this young lady's life to something pretty and metaphorically literally metaphorically breaks the proverbial chains of her bondage to.
Speaker 2: Her pimp or TRAFFI absolutely.
Speaker 1: And she no longer has to look in the mirror and be disgusted a boy what she sees on her own body. Yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: Felt that, yeah, And I was like, and I was like, I want to make sure that I connect people with shops and artists that are going to be trauma informed and trauma sensitive and caring and loving. And I have found some of the most incredible artists on the planet run this whole country. It just started in my own hometown down the street from where I live now. And you know I did, like, I didn't have any kind of fancy fundraising teams. I don't have an office like I.
Speaker 1: Literally, you're a normal, average person that found a place.
Speaker 2: I found a place that I found a need that wasn't being met in my met in my community, and decided to meet that need. Andyank, go ahead.
Speaker 1: The two tattoos that you got when you were being trafficked, one was on your wrist and I think one was on your leg.
Speaker 2: It was on my butt cheek, your yeah, help whatever.
Speaker 1: Right after you finally got away and we're working with your friend, then that was three year period that was still there before you got it covered up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was literally still I was working in anti trafficking with my own tattoos on me?
Speaker 1: So what did you think when you saw that on your wrist or looked in the mirror and saw that. What was your initial reaction when you saw that? You're clean. Now, you're getting your life back together, you're working, and you're helping and anti trafficking, so you're aware, you're no, what did you think when you saw those?
Speaker 2: Like my old tattoos? Every time I was looking at them, I was like, every time I took a shower, change my clothes, or you know, I was intimate with, you know, my kid's dad, I was like, I don't want this on my body, you know, like I don't want to see this anymore. And it was a constant reminder.
Speaker 1: Of that's what, Yeah, of the most desperate time of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, I don't want to look at this.
Speaker 1: You move on when every time you look at yourself you're reminded of that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I was like, it's it's time. And then I had some self harm scars and I was like, it's time. It's time for me to stand up for Jess and do something for Jess.
Speaker 1: And so I So you got rev fixed. Ye, while you have your own, but now it's time. Now you say, well, you know this works, I'm getting rid of my own. Yeah, and then you think there's a need that needs to be methods not being filled for probably a population or community of some of the most traumatized and abused women on the face of the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was like, I'm I was like, this is where I'm going to what I'm going to do. So I remember going home, and that's why I brought my pamphlets so you could see them. I remember going home and sitting at the computer, and I was sitting on the floor of my apartment and I opened up clip like word clip art, and I was like, birds symbolize my grandmother, because my grandmother was my biggest advocate and she helped me through so much. Both of my grandmothers loved birds. I was like, I took a bird, and then I took a tattoo machine and I put them together, and I was like, there's my logo. I didn't have some fancy marketing.
Speaker 1: If you can, if you could see it, I'm holding it now and I'll describe it to you. There's a bar. It looks a lot like a dove. I think, I don't know, this is some bird in the center, and then there's a tattoo tool in the image. It's okay, And then behind it is this vibrant mix of color assume tattoo ink, and the whole symbol is I think that you're changing the darkest ink on your body to the most vibrant ink and you're being as a bird.
Speaker 2: I get really excited talking about air.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to, you know what.
Speaker 2: I went from crying, you.
Speaker 1: Shared gut wrenching with this. It is so nice not to see you cry and see you smile, you every beautiful smile. It's great. So but yeah, so you're now you're like, Okay, here's this thing that needs to be filled. It's worked for me, it's worked for the girl that had rev And you decide at your computer to make a logo of this bird with a tattoo thing and his talons with this cool color, and you decide you need to name it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was actually sitting with my friend again and I was at one of her things. She was like, can you come and speak with me at this event? And I was like, sure, I'm getting up there. And when I first started working in this field. I'd be like him, I'm Jessica. I you know, I'm like real shy. I would look at the floor and hold her bag with her logo from her company, and I'd be like, I'm just you know, I'm a survivor and I help people like I was afraid to share anything, and she's like, it's time to share your story. You've got to share your story. This was almost seven years ago, but I like, I was sitting and she was speaking at this church and this song came in and it was like, I am redeemed. You've set me free. I shake off these heavy chains, break away everything. I'm not who I used to be. And I was like redeem hm and I was like Atlanta Redemption or like I was like Redeemed ink, Redemption ink. I was trafficking in Atlanta. I was like Atlanta Redemption ink. And it stuck and I felt my heart start racing every time I would say Atlanta Redemption ink. And I know it's a mouthful, which is why we shorten it to ARII or ri, but I remember just feeling this this sensation inside of me of this is where God wants me, or this is where. This is where I need to be. And like I said, like I don't. I don't have a marketing team. I don't have fancy cameras. I don't have an office. I sit at my computer on my floor of my house with my two kids.
Speaker 1: Do you have a cool pamphlet, I'm looking at it.
Speaker 2: I made a pamphlet. Yeah, and Ari was and Ari was born. And in the news, actually, my friend, my friend Casey, had told the news about me, the local news, that I was covering up these tattoos, and they came out and interviewed me. And then it was like overnight, I started getting questions, Like I made a little Facebook page and like we had like two followers, and then I started like it started getting bigger, and then like the news started asking me more questions. And then I called a friend of mine that makes websites and uh, he's actually runs a coffee company in Covington, Georgia, and he's a roaster and he's like I looked at him and I said, dude, I think I knew website. I was like, I don't have money for a website. And he's like, don't worry about that right now, And like within like, forty eight hours build me a website.
Speaker 1: So I love it so wely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm like, so it didn't cost me anything.
Speaker 1: And Okay, it doesn't need to be lost on anybody that only three years before this you were being trafficked and you were on drugs.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I had been out of that life. I got out of trafficking in two thousand and four. And then again did Alriay start already started in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, it doesn't need to be lost on anybody. It doesn't number the number of years twelve or thirteen years earlier. You were desperate, You shared that you had suicidal thoughts, you were being manipulated. You were the survivor of molestation in your own home, you were a survivor of trafficking, and now you're sitting at your computer building out a program.
Speaker 2: Ari.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nobody is beyond redemption. It is never ever too late.
Speaker 2: Now everybody has an ability to do something in their community, and knowing something and putting action to it are two different things.
Speaker 1: We will be right back, I say. Often amazing things happen when somebody's passionate and talent intersect with opportunity. That's you. You're passionate about helping people. You're passionate about understanding girls that have gone through the same trauma that you've gone through. And you saw an opportun unity just like you said, you said out of your own mouth just a few minutes ago, I saw a place of need that nobody was filling. And so your passion and your discipline about opportunity and ari was born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I do want to say that there are artists around this country that probably do this, and I know one personally am in Chicago that has been doing this for years out of his own shop. And there are people that are doing it. But what I did was I built a network. So I started talking to tattoo shops and training tattoo shops on my lived experience, and then like indicators, and then we became we started making them safe place sites. So if you ever like go to like a Quick Trip, I don't know if you guys have them here in Memphis, but like you go to Quick Trip or like a YMCA, they'll have those big yellow signs that say safe place.
Speaker 1: So that's somewhat sho tattoo shops that have the yellow signs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like so we started, we started the first one to have the first tattoo shop to become a safe place site is in Covington, Georgia called iron Clad Ink, and we actually help them become a safe place site so youth can go there at any time and say I need help, and then they know exactly what to do and who to call, and then they get youth advocates out there to help before they because sometimes they're afraid to call the police because they're thinks they're going to get in trouble. Right, So we started trying.
Speaker 1: To bumping your captor on the front porch.
Speaker 2: So I just a whole another story. Yeah, and I'm and I'm not anti law enforcement at all, but like law enforcement need to be trained and they are actively being trained, which is great. So there has been a lot of.
Speaker 1: Also fifteen years ago different mentality towards somebody.
Speaker 2: Absolutely there would come a long way and there's still a long way to go. But I just I remember I still sit in my apartment and I do our website, I do everything.
Speaker 1: So tell me how you get somebody to help. How does that happen? How does somebody come to you? Like, where do yeah, because these girls or guys. I see a picture of a guy actually, which I'm interested in that story, but I'm for the listeners. I'm looking at the pamphlet and what Jess has. Here are pictures before and after tattoos of girls or I assume, guys who've been trafficked, and you see what they had and then what it becomes. And just so everybody knows, I don't have a single tattoo in my body. I'm not a tattoo guy, never have been. But I'm also not one of these anti tattoo people. I mean, if you like tattoos, good for you, you know, that's great. But what I'm looking at is like a risk that has the word cash on it and the S is a dollar sign, and it's incursive and it is not attractive, and it.
Speaker 2: Is cash only.
Speaker 1: What's up? Cash only? It's too risk when you put them together, say cash only, which I assume I can't believe I'm saying this. What I assume is a prostitute is basically saying to the John, cash only. That was probably put on there by her pimp or trafficker.
Speaker 2: Is that right, Yes, so she was a trafficking victim. That had that on her, and then you're touching on the guys. We actually do more than just tattoos from exploitation in trafficking. We cover and remove gang tattoos from former gang members.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: We also cover up self harm scars. We all show people that have been using IVY drugs that are left with scarring and bruising from IVY drug use. We help cover those of us.
Speaker 1: Regardless of the trauma of the depths of desperation, these people in you are trying to cover up the things that they have to look at on themselves so they can change the ugliest time of their life into something pretty, so that they can get past the daily reminder on their own bodies of their own trauma. Yes, it is phenomenal. Just so the cash only thing turned into like this big rose with a bee and I'm not sure what that is, but it's pretty and it's cool looking. And then there's another one that is I'm not even reading it, but it looks like a hip or the small of a bout. I think that's a small, small lower back and it is egregious what it says. And it is now a purple pretty bow that you can't even see what it was, and it's phenomenal. Okay, so hold it. So I'm sorry, I got to get out of your brochure. You you make ari And this is how long ago.
Speaker 2: I started it in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Okay, so six years ago. Now you've started it. You got a website, you got an email address. How do you get people?
Speaker 2: We started getting the word got out. Like I said, we were on the news and there was just one news segment, and then people started learning about us, which is why I called my friend Jason up and I was like, dude, I need a website now, you know. And he got on it and he's like, I'm behind this one hundred percent. And so he created the website for me. And then now we get referrals from drug courts, we get referrals from probation officers, the GBI. There's actually a young lady, the one that with the bow. We've gotten referrals from GBI, FBI, Homeland Security.
Speaker 1: Law enforcement sends you people trying to help them.
Speaker 2: Yes, we get over. We get a lot of referrals from law enforcement and a lot of referrals from programs. There'll be women that are in long term programs that will call us and or contact us for help, and so their advocate will go with him to get help and they'll meet us at the shop if they're in Atlanta. I'm always I do my dead level best to always be present for their appointment.
Speaker 1: And these people don't pay a dime.
Speaker 2: They do not have to pay us anything.
Speaker 1: If I have a friend that's a real actually a god do business with who's a furniture builder, he is literally tatted, I don't I've never seen him nicked, so I can't say it. And Daniel, if you hear me, I don't want to see you naked. Literally the dude. I've seen him during the summer in shorts and T shirt. There's not an ounce of his body that doesn't have ink other than his face, including his head. All right, And he's just a tattoo guy, right. Well, he was telling me what he pays for some of these tattoos, and I mean this tattoo work is expensive.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. And we actually work with some incredible artists that either donate their time or they discount it for us. So we raise just through ordinary people. We raise money or try to raise money, and then I speak to raise money to be able to afford to do some of the cover ups for these young ladies. But we also go even further than just the tattoos tell us about that, Jess. So we have our Beyond inc program. So Beyond INC is where we provide holistic counseling. So we have a licensed therapist that works on our team that will do zoom calls and do therapy sessions with people that want to have them, so they can choose to go to a therapist if they're not able to go through insurance or like any other company, and so it's at a discounted rate. We also work with an organization called Tears Free Academy who actually helped me get my high school diploma and I was able to graduate. And I did not realize this, but I was only one credit shy away from graduating when I couldn't even pass the GED no kidding, yeah, So yeah, I went through her program and I was pregnant with my son, and my daughter was three years old, and she's in the audience and she's screaming, yay mommy as I throw my cap and gown or I threw my cap a few years ago. Actually, I was able to get my high school diploma, and then I became a peer support counselor and I teach art therapy so I can do art therapy at safe homes with the young ladies. And then we have someone that does holistic job readiness job training skills, so we have like a team that all worked together and beyond inc so we're able to it's not just an outward change, but it's an opportunity to do an nword change as well. So it's just this whole program centered around redemption and new opportunities. And I had somebody one time ask me. They were like, oh, so you're just basically changing somebody's identity and I was like, nah, because that wasn't their identity to begin with. Their identity was who they were along before someone even put that on them. Their identity is what was breathing to them from birth or from conception. So I am yeah, I just I get super excited talking about it. I could probably talk about AARI for like five hundred hours.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the thing that's amazing is is you started just trying to get tattoos covered or removed that are horrible reminders of desperate times for people because you certainly identified with and empathized with that reality. But now you're using this beyond inc to actually, once people are able to get rid of the physical reminders and get over that, you're actually helping them move on with life, in with therapy and with job readiness and all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and remember you're the bad girl in the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't think that now, I know. I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't wait here that part. How many girls over the last seven years or girls ain't guys? Sorry? How many people have you helped get ink off of and or covered or whatever and gone through programs? How many people have you.
Speaker 2: Served as of today? We had to last week and then a couple a couple of weeks ago, but as of today, I think we are right at six hundred and thirty five people served since twenty seventeen. Cool story, because I'm I'm almost I'm all about a year. Yes, we get an eight a month. We get a lot. And it's not just in Georgia. We get applications from Georgia to California and everywhere in between. Like we we just covered up a tattoo on a young lady in Texas. A couple of days ago, the day before Thanksgiving. This story, this has never happened in the seven years that I've been doing this. I actually met her through a program in Atlanta. It was like a drop in day center. What it drop in day center? So it was like a place that they could go to get help during the day and then they would sleep somewhere at night.
Speaker 1: And usually the people they still in life.
Speaker 2: Or I don't know. I went there just to talk to them and let them know about our services.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's a drop in day it's.
Speaker 2: Like a day center. Yeah, they don't sleep there.
Speaker 1: You don't know if they're still in alive or getting out of the life. You don't know what stage with the world these folks directly.
Speaker 2: It's all confidential with their program. But she she had some tattoos, and she actually had one of a trafficker's name that I've seen on multiple women. So we're gonna be working on that one too shortly. But we're sitting in the tattoo shop the day before Thanksgiving. I had just gotten in a car accident a few days beforehand, and I'm sitting there pushing through the pain of the accident, and I'm sitting there and I'm holding there. I got a picture of it, and I'm holding her hand and she's like talking about her story. She's in pain because it's in a painful area and she's getting it covered up and she says some things to me, and I go, WHOA, she's still in the life. This girl needs help. Like, so I immediately get on the phone and she's like, I can't find a bed anywhere. She's like, there's no open beds for long term. So day before Thanksgiving, I get on the phone with a friend of mine and I'm like, this girl said that she tried to call and there wasn't beds, and he was like, on it. We had her bed within an hour and she within two hours. They had a team that came out from the program to pick her up from the tattoo shop and got her into a program. So like, she got help immediately. So like, I don't just share stories of seven years ago. We have stories that are happening just a few weeks ago, and these people are coming through and are getting all around.
Speaker 1: Care are you when you said that she had a tattoo that you've seen before. Yeah, it's interesting because you're kind of the keeper of the tattoo. Information you gotta I would think law enforcement, we want to know what you want to know what you know?
Speaker 2: Well, I actually work with an organization I actually started doing. I'm a survivor hunter with School Games.
Speaker 1: A survivor hunter or like I'm.
Speaker 2: The survivor, Like I'm a survivor and I hunt with them. And it's called school Games and their website is Schoolgames dot io and I volunteer with them. And so when we're looking for women, we're actually looking for people that are trafficking them. And we'll see tattoos and they'll ask me like, hey, Jess, can you tell me about tattoo? And these are like veterans and law enforcement officers and analysts and we all meet together and we work together as a community, and they'll ask me about these tattoos, and so I'm able to assist with that. I get a lot of phone calls from people asking me about you know, can you help me identify this? What does this mean? I work with gang investigators and they're like, hey, if I have a question, is something I don't know about. I don't try to be misnow it all. I literally will call up people and be like, hey, help me out with this because I don't know what this one is. So do you know?
Speaker 1: Phenomenalists, you're helping people. You're getting their shame off their bodies so that they can move on mentally and spiritually and emotionally. You're helping them move on literally and physically with their lives. And you're working with people to identify the perpetrators of this evil. From where you wore fifteen years ago, from where you are.
Speaker 2: Today, it was a totally different person.
Speaker 1: And where would you be without your grandmother?
Speaker 2: I love that woman. I can't ever talk about Ari without talking about my memal. I know it's such a Southern term, but you know I'm from the south Side.
Speaker 1: I'm We'll be right back. Do you have a favorite story of somebody you ever worked with to get covered?
Speaker 2: They're all my favorite stories.
Speaker 1: Whack get that?
Speaker 2: I can't I can't think a favorite. It's so fush.
Speaker 1: I hate that question. But this jack ap bitting over here always likes me to ask it, you know, the producer type. But let me just ask this. I get asked that about the kids. I get asked that about the kids that I coached. No, I don't have a favorite. They're all different, but there's a story under every ailment. I'm certain there's a story behind every piece of ink. But give us one that people will go wow when they hear.
Speaker 2: I. She's actually on the pamphlet. There's a young lady who I love very dearly. I talk to her often. There's her, My god. I love all of them. I love everybody that I've worked with. They all have a special place in my heart. But this one right here, I will never forget what she told me. So she she was with her trafficker, and I said, what was it like when you got that covered up? Share it with me? And she said, I no longer see the girl I used to see in the hotel mirror. And that has I no.
Speaker 1: Longer see the girl I used see in the hotel mirror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that stuck with That has stuck with me forever. And I usually like to say that when survivors tell me these things, that those are always going to be tattooed on my heart because it's it's beyond it's beyond me. It's it's the tattoo community that are stepping up.
Speaker 1: And which now you have like eighty you.
Speaker 2: Know, we have eighty shops across the country that work with us, and there's several people in the shop, and then if we have like one artist in one shop, the other artists get win of what we're doing and they're like, hey, I want to get on board, and I want to get on board. But we vet these shops. We want to make sure that they don't have any kind of sex crimes or domestic violence crimes in their backgrounds. We want to make sure that when these survivors go into their shops that they are going to be taken care of and respected, which you know, I've yet to run into a shop where that has been a problem, and I don't think I will ever run into that issue. But I just have an incredible team of artists.
Speaker 1: That Jesse Rollins, an owner and artist Ironclad, Inc. Said, I've seen self harm scars that go from the wrist to the elbow, branding that I've been put on by pimps and seff draffers. Women abused by father from five to fifteen years old that had not shed a tear since six and said, we gave her back her life. It's the best thing I've ever done.
Speaker 2: I love Jesse Jesse's actually the one that repaired my tattoos from the ones that were messed up. He had to go back and fix them all for me. So he's a great guy and he's also a firefighter that works in the community that I live in.
Speaker 1: Have you taken a deep enough breath in a little bit of time to take stock of you?
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 1: You're changing lives? Jess?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can answer that.
Speaker 1: Well, I can for you, you're changing lives. But the interesting spart interesting part, and this is universal on this show. This is universal on this show. You're not just changing the lives of the girls and the guys who are getting the gangs and the trafficking tattoos set up. You're changing lives of the artists. You're changing the lives of the community, of the quote network that you talk about building, because now they're able to use their passions and their talents and an opportunity to need because you created that for them. And for someone to say, a firefighter to say, this is the best thing that I've ever done. He wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for you. He wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for Ari. He wouldn't be doing this if you didn't decide to get rev off the back of a girl's neck one day and you became energized where your passion and your abilities met opportunity. And you're changing lives of girls, but you're changing lives of the community of people helping the girls. And you're just a kid from Atlanta who was abused too, fell into a crazy set of circumstances, who's now a mother and is changing lives for people. And I just want to know if you ever take stock of yourself.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 2: Usually just keep going I don't. I don't know what you mean by take stock of myself?
Speaker 3: Like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Do you ever sit there and look like I don't know what that means to take stock. If you go down the aisle of a grocery store and there's people putting empty cartons back on empty shelves, it's because they're taking stock. They're looking at what that owlist is. Now you know how empty the owl was, and then they put it up and it becomes restocked. Look at what your life is, I mean, it's phenomenal what you're doing. And to come where you've come from and who've had to build. This is just so redemptive and so inspiring, and you know, I just I hope you take a second to take a deep breath and realize the blessing you now are in other people's lives, much like your grandmother wasn't yours?
Speaker 2: Okay, I I feel like if I try to go, well, look what I did, I feel like I feel like that looks arrogant, I guess, and so I I try not to do that, but I do look back and go, dang, I've come a long way, and I am honored to be able to sit with the people I get to said with and meet the people that I meet. But I very rarely will go look at me. I just I can't.
Speaker 1: I get that. That's also universal among almost everybody we interview with me. I get it, but you know you can't. You can't do anything about me saying hey girl, look at you. You should be so proud. And all of this work, where's money come from?
Speaker 2: So, like I've said, we don't have I don't sit in a fancy office. I'm just a young lady that sits at home and a homeschool. My daughter and I work from my house on my computer, and I have people that volunteer. We don't have huge donors, but we have some that have been very gracious to give. And we depend on just people that hear our story and are moved by what we do to donate so we can continue to do the work.
Speaker 1: So how do people that are moved by your story donate?
Speaker 2: They can do that on the website as soon as they go to aaronline dot org. It is bag and massive at the very top, and it says support ARI.
Speaker 1: We will thank you money and put it to good use. Is that's the thing.
Speaker 2: What goes into ARI goes into direct services. It doesn't go to a high paying CEO, doesn't go into marketing teams, it doesn't go into a fundraising coach. It goes directly into direct services. And then when I share and I train, that's how I also bring in funding to the org.
Speaker 1: So if somebody's listening to us today and they need your service anywhere in the US, or they're tattoo artists who wants to be part of your service.
Speaker 2: Or.
Speaker 1: Or knows somebody that needs your service, how do they get in touch with you?
Speaker 2: They can go on our website, which is ARII online dot org, or they can call us at six seven eight nine two six nine nine four six and they can reach out and we'll do our best to help. We have our provider application on our website, so if you're an artist or removal specialist or scar revision specialist, you can apply on there. If you're a survivor or in former gang involvement or self harm, there's a survivor application you can imply on there. Or somebody wants to book me to train, to come out and train an icronography, that's icronography, they can book me as a speaker on there. I travel all around and share my lived experience in the work that we do at AARI and it's an honor every time I get to do that, and it's actually healing for me when I get to share my story.
Speaker 1: I think it's healing for people to listen to it. And you know, if you tune in and listen to this whole interview and here the first twenty minutes of it, you got to be going, holy crap, where's this going? And it's ending at a beautiful place that is full of redemption and grace and love and unconditional love. An amazing work. I am. I am so inspired by the work you've done. And you know, like we talk about a lot, you know, we don't go around interviewing a listeners. We're going around and interview normal folks who are seeing places in Eden. Fillett and you, my friend, are are an unbelievable example of no matter where you come from, what you've been through, how you are, you can always find redemption. You can always make your life work, and then you can always be a shining light for other people. And you are, my friend. You are certainly a member of army of normal folks, but maybe you're like a captain or a lieutenant or something, because you're amazing. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you joining us. I appreciate that, and I appreciate all of you for joining us this week. If Jessica Lamb or another guest has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by donating to Atlanta Redemption, Inc. By joining their network of tattoo artists, or something else entirely, please let me know. I really want to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at Normalfolks dot us and guys, I will respond and if you enjoyed this episode, share it with friends that on social, subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it. Become a Premium member at normalfolks dot us. All these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. For premium members, we will have bonus content from this episode, and it's me asking Jessica if she's been able to forgive her trafficker, and I promise you what she says is powerful. If you don't want to miss it, become a premium member today. I'm Bill Courtney. We'll see you next week.