Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: We learned a lot of a lot about the buffet, a lot about overeating. Is it buffet or buffet comedy? I say, bouffe, yeah yeah, He says buffet.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah b o f a y.
Speaker 3: So I said, actually, I actually have the answer for you.
Speaker 1: Why really.
Speaker 4: Now, really, really.
Speaker 5: Now? Really?
Speaker 6: Hello and welcome to Really No Really, with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who would like to suggest that nothing is as delicious and satisfying as subscribing to our show. And speaking of delicious and satisfying, today's episode is all about buffets and America's insatiable appetite for all you can eat gluttony. Also why post COVID buffets have returned, perhaps bigger than ever. So join us as we explore the history, appeal and economic superfets, as well as their secrets, their horrors, and whether it's safe to eat those oysters. Here's Jason, Peter and one of the country's most knowledgeable restaurant experts, Restaurant Business Magazine editor in chief Jonathan Meades, Everybody.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a fascinating I think going to be a fascinating but I want to preface it by saying, Peter and I just ate lunch before we recorded this episode, and we I thought we ordered very well. We ordered a chopp salad, chicken chopp salad, but somehow I decided that I had to have also an egg rap and Peter finished his salad, walked out in the studio so that there was a pizza there and went, hey, can I get.
Speaker 1: A slice of that? Wealthy?
Speaker 3: And it was solid, was not gonna appetite, No good, no good, and you know, it didn't have enough variety.
Speaker 1: It was cold. It was well intended, but it was not what I wanted to get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it just didn't put us over the edge. So yeah, and we got we got the birthday cake coming up after this. We both ate so much that we didn't side. And I'm miserable now I'm sitting here and I'm not how it starts at type, that's how it does that.
Speaker 1: It is so the really, no really of this episode is all you can eat buffets. They're back. They're back. Especially we thought.
Speaker 3: The one upside of the pandemic was that we had in the phenomena the gluttony.
Speaker 1: There would also rest stop.
Speaker 5: There's a fascinating part to this too with increased food closs and delivery systems and you know the supply chain. You go, well, wait a minute, wouldn't it be more expensive to do because you've got to guess how much.
Speaker 3: Economics and I never understood how the buffet works.
Speaker 1: How if you're charging me twenty dollars and go you know anything you want?
Speaker 3: I am going to break you because my fac I think everybody leaves the house if they know, especially my family was not wealthy.
Speaker 1: You're want to win, You're going it's a competition, right, Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: I want to see when I'm gambling of the casino, can I consume you are in cost?
Speaker 1: They're winning for me? So we got to know.
Speaker 3: We wanted to find out how is it possible that the buffets are a thing?
Speaker 1: And you found the guy you want to do it? Expert? Would you like to do it? Jonathan Mays?
Speaker 5: First of all, Jonathan was fascinating to me because I watched his different podcast and he's a food expert in a journalist who investigates all different areas and those the economics and the finance, and he's well versed in this for a lot of years. Those the economics and he's written for New York Times, Washington Post, and he's been on a lot of chief of.
Speaker 3: His own restaurant business magazine.
Speaker 5: Right, so I figured I wanted to and I was really impressed by him in the scope of topics that he can talk to in the restaurant industry. So we wanted to have you on, Jonathan, So welcome.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me on, and thank you for, by the way, you took a little break from your own podcast, which a deeper dive, which is really very much on theme for what we're talking about today, because people do tend to dive into these.
Speaker 5: So the buffet thing, when I saw that they're coming back, I saw a lot of them went out of business during the pandemic. I saw that there were thousands in America that went down by a lot, you know, the number went down. But now all of a sudden, the ones that were not the middle price ones seemed to be coming back. So there's so many questions regional.
Speaker 3: Who the Golden Corral is back on the sort of more economic and then the the Vegas buffets are back is a thing again too, and that's the higher end.
Speaker 1: So how did this happen and why what's the economics.
Speaker 4: Never underestimate Americans' desire to stuff their face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, Yeah, that is.
Speaker 4: The fundamental lesson in all of this. Uh, I mean, I mean, I guess the thing is, it's not really the pandemic didn't kill a lot of those buffets. A lot of those buffets were just garbage. I mean, the just face it. I mean, that's that is the real issue there. People of I mean, they like going to buffays. They always probably will. There's always going to be a segment of the American population that just really loves that stuff and can't get enough of it. What happened was really a lot of those buffets were owned by investors. They took on a lot of debt. If you take on a lot of debt, you can't do a lot of the stuff that you need to do to make a restaurant actually worth going to. And they went out of business. Oh and that's basically what happened. They couldn't withstand the.
Speaker 1: Pandemic, and the better ones were able to just tough it out.
Speaker 3: And you said, Americans, is this just an American phenomena? Are there buffets worldwide or is it just this country?
Speaker 4: No, it's not just this country. I mean, I think we love them more than other countries. But you know, I was I was in Dubai last year and I had breakfast at a buffet every morning.
Speaker 5: Is what's the history? I would you know the history of the bfet? Where it started? Was it Swedish?
Speaker 4: No, actually it was just like a sweetish Swedish mortgage board. Yeah, I think it's something like that. I actually am not really well versed on the now.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you hear about those Bacchanalian feests back in the break and Roman days where they would you know, they basically threw every kind of food that was available at that.
Speaker 5: Were meats and there were fruits well, because the wealthy wanted to show they were wealthy. So that's one of the ways that you do wealth. But I know that the buffets are for families. They are about variety, the kids can eat this. And it's about control too. Right now, you go to a restaurant, the chef and the place is in control. What the portion hol you're you feel in control for the twenty bucks or thirty or fifty or seventy whatever you're paying that I can I can pick and choose what I want to eat, and you're not going to tell me what I want to eat for the price. But because it was venture capital, what's the price? Is a restaurant still thirty percent profit margin basically? And buffets what five percent or ten or that out the window?
Speaker 4: That's kind of out the window really, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's kind of kind of out the windows. So yeah, really, if you do a thirty percent profit margin, if you're a restaurant, you're going like you're golden. You're yeah, your gold And that's no nobody, very very few, very few restaurant chains thirty percent margin at the press, you know. Now it's more like, you know, really, if you're you're doing pretty well. If you're doing fifteen to twenty percent, wow, that's a lot of one balance. Yeah, it's a lot of work. And in buffets generally lower than that for the most part.
Speaker 5: So the buffet economics is what that they're buying. In bulking, you have to guess, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's roughly how that works. Yeah, you just you know, I mean, and you have to just be sophisticated in terms of how much food you put out there and and that you're making on a regular basis and yeah. I mean every restaurant chain actually has to compute how much food they have to buy for a certain percentage is not terribly different. It's just how much you make at any one time.
Speaker 1: And it'll seems like the labor is to my mind, it's kind of a wash.
Speaker 3: I know, you have less servers, but you must have more kitchen staff to prepare that kind of quantity of food.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it kind of balance out?
Speaker 4: It balances out, Yeah, because you don't have you do have some servers, depending on the I mean, it really depends on the buffet. Some of them have servers and some of them really don't. You're doing a lot of a fair bit of the work yourself. Oh you met here, you're going to to get the food.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but but you know you got you got a got so many choices. I also read that one of the jobs of the buffet is to refill your water glads. They come out a lot, and I realize that to fill everything's about filling you up. Brec Is the layout all about pilling you up? I'm guessing the stuff, the stuff that you see first is the stuff that they hope you eat to fill up and leave.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, yes, you're you're going to make your most expensive food items harder to find, and then you know, a good buffet, to your point, is actually going to re failure drinks because the more water you drink, the fullery are you the less?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But now some way, so explain something to me, and I guess I'm thinking Vegas specifically. But if if they're trying to make the more expensive items harder to find, are we just sick with shrimp? If they're trying to make the more expensive items harder to find?
Speaker 1: Are we just sick with shrimp? In this world?
Speaker 3: I go to Vegas, I go where there's no water anywhere. Where are they getting Where is the shrimp getting the shrimp to Vegas? And into these buffets, into these restaurants. You can't you can't shrimp. I mean there's there's nowhere. How isn't that? And rab legs and I mean there's like lobster tales there. They're in plain sight as far as I can see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Vegas buffets are actually in sort of a world of their own because they because they do have some of these yeah items, and they charge you for it, right, you know that's not golden corral.
Speaker 3: No, it's not a twenty dollars oil you can need. It's a seventy dollars when we're watching.
Speaker 5: I'm also guessing that because of the Vegas buffets. The history of Vegas buffet was just keep people in the casino. They do not want you, so they'll lost, but they don't want to keep you in the restaurant. But do they lost leader? Do they lost leader items in Vegas?
Speaker 1: Is that? Are they losing or they win?
Speaker 4: I think those days of lost leaders in Vegas are gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell you they're gone. Let me tell you. So they don't look all right.
Speaker 5: So, how much of the food that I'm seeing it, even a nice buffet, is repurposed the next day into something else?
Speaker 4: I hope not much of it?
Speaker 5: Actually, Oh really, they donate or get rid of most of it. They don't chop this into a park pie or something else.
Speaker 4: I mean, some of them might do it, but I don't think that they're is a ton of as much repurposing in the restaurant space as you think.
Speaker 3: Really, the turkey from one day is in turkey tutras any the next day.
Speaker 1: I know That's how my college cafeteria work I know. That's how my mother worked the turkey that we have for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: It was sharewiches, then soup, and then with a bicycle helmet for.
Speaker 1: It lasted forever.
Speaker 4: You know, that's what Wendy's does with its old birders. Is that is that they make it into chili waiting.
Speaker 1: WHOA, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't even know that Wendy's offered a chili really yeah, Well I don't have a lot of But here's here's the other thing. I mean, the only thing that scares me about buffets, and specifically, it's just the health question. I mean, temperature swings, people look touching, people are sneezing, They picked something up, they put it back to sharing tom sharing time. I mean, I mean I've literally seen that. I'm sure people have got horror stories of you know, somebody picking something up, licking their fingers and grabbing something else and put you know it just I don't know how. I don't know how they stay above on the hell do you mean? As far as the health scale? Yeah, is that an issue?
Speaker 4: No, not any more than it is for any other restaurant.
Speaker 1: Change.
Speaker 4: Really mean, I think the pandemic really sort of highlighted. I would say that buffets are probably a lot safer even today than they were three four years ago, for sure. One of the things that they also do, you know, they portioned things more likely these days than they used to, so you can't just load your plaid up with a bunch of prime rib and stuff like that. So that's one of the ways they do it, you know, more carefully portioning and that that kind of also helps with with health and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So are they growing?
Speaker 5: Are are we opening more and more all you can eat affes across the country or no, it's just kind of I.
Speaker 4: Mean, it's just what those buffets that are left there are a lot fewer buffets than there were four years ago. I mean, you Men's mentioned Soup Plantation. They closed within a few weeks, and they just shut everything down within a few weeks of the pandemic, which you know is more indicative of an owner that says, we're not we're not putting any more money behind it, and so they decided to go chapter seven closing everything else off. We lost a handful of buffet chains, and I can't tell you, by the way, it is really really hard to kill a restaurant chain. Very few restaurant chains were killed during the pandemic. It actually was one of the biggest surprises that I had was that we didn't see many many more get killed. But almost all of them that did was a buffet concept, and so there are a few. Even Golden Corral, which is doing pretty well right now. Yeah, they actually closed twenty five percent of their locations. You know, Really, the types of buffets that are actually doing very well are tend to be more targeted or more expensive, like the types in Vegas or like places like Myrtle Beach or whatever, vacation spot type places, or you know, Chinese buffet or things like that. But a lot of these general phase that we did see, I mean, there's just fewer of them today than there was before, and so those that are are left are doing pretty well.
Speaker 3: Jonathan, if I was if I was looking to just financially open a single location restaurant, and I had the choice between opening your sort of standard diner versus a lower end buffet. Which one is going to be easier for me to open. What's the cost of it? How difficult is it to do one over the other.
Speaker 4: You mean, like a twenty four hour diner. No, Well, well, kids, you don't open one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I guess not.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just you know, I'm thinking like when I lived in New York, it seems like on every corner there was like a little Greek diner and they were they did have crazy hours, but they also had these menus that were like eight pages and anything that you ordered was out on the table.
Speaker 1: Are they keeping all this going back there? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I I can neither.
Speaker 3: Be an answer, neither's a good idea.
Speaker 4: I don't really like I'm not a huge general as a you know, because I all, you know, my things. I look at the numbers all the time. That's I mean, I can't go to a restaurant chain at all without seeing the numbers that I know that they have. It drives my wife crazy. And the best restaurant companies today, and that's actually true if they're a buffet or not, are or targeted so they don't have the eight page menus. That's increasingly rare in the restaurant space because you know, in the challenge and one of the challenges with some of these buffets is that they have such broad menus. They have to buy so much food and they're going to buy food that people don't necessarily eat. You know, the best, you know, the best restaurant chains right now only serve like one or two items, you know. And if you think about like raising canes, for instance, sells chicken tenders, and that's it. That's it. That's the only I mean, chicken tenders, fries and texas toast and drinks, and that's roughly it. That's the only thing you could get. And they do five million dollars per restaurant just chicken. You know, people line upper room.
Speaker 1: Yes. Next.
Speaker 3: I was part of a Broadway show this summer and on the corner of our block. I've never seen it before, I never I don't know. It was a raising canes and chicken ten they sent over just as a hey, welcome neighbor thing. They sent over food for our crew. You never know what chicken tender could be like this.
Speaker 1: It was. It was fantastic.
Speaker 3: So and that was the and we said what else did they do?
Speaker 1: And they went, that's that's one thing, great better than anybody else. Fascinating the chicken thing.
Speaker 5: What are the other trends aside from just several items, Is there a trend you see coming and happening now.
Speaker 4: Spicy food for instance, So uh, you know there's a chain out of California called Dave's Hot Chicken.
Speaker 1: Hot Chicken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave's Hot Chicken and yeah, and they're they're sort of like spicy raising canes. Actually they're going gangbusters. That's one of the fastest growing restaurant chains in the US right now. Cookies cookies are really popular.
Speaker 1: Really cookies change that Cookies.
Speaker 4: Yep, Crumble it's a cookie chain. There's Insomnia Cookies, which is owned by Krispy Kreme, although that's for sale, but that you know, they do very very well. I you know, from a business standpoint, I love cookies. It's very profitable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but so hold on a second. We had Missus Fields was big and then gone. You had what was famous and it's gone. Are those things like get in, invest get out because people's taste is going to change and you're not going to see those cookie places in ten years. Is there a cookie place that lasted?
Speaker 4: Ah, you know, there are, There are a few. There's like Great American Cookies. You know, I know franchises that own cookie concepts and they love them. You know. Part the problem with a lot of the cookie concepts that you mentioned is that they were they grew up in malls, and in mall traffic in the last few years have been yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 5: It's a cupcake things still huge lemon dollars for a cupcake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean no, no, that was a fad that was bad, but the high end cupcakes. But you know, you can get bunk cakes. You know, there's nothing bunk cakes that's actually doing real well. They sell a little bunk cakes.
Speaker 1: They're delicious business. You know.
Speaker 3: What one of this is making me think is that I'm just putting this thought together.
Speaker 1: We seem to.
Speaker 3: Like gimmicks when we eat. I'm remembering Benny Hannas. It's not the most extraordinary of Japanese menus, but there's something the experience of watching the guy flip the shrimp tail into his hat, and you know, but it's communal onion volcano's communal.
Speaker 1: It looks fresh and it's cooked fresh, so that you get.
Speaker 3: I also think there's something about there's the there's a wow factor to it. There's it's not just a meal, you're you know, and I'm wondering how much of that is going to.
Speaker 4: Be We can probably do an entire episode of That's Chain is hilarious. But the reason why, But I think the point is why do I mean, why do we eat out at restaurants? We eat our restaurants to have fun and h So what you have here really is is almost too diverging trends. You have, on one hand, everybody's going to convenience and they are ordering a lot more delivery, they're ordering on apps, they are going through the drive through. But then on the other hand, you have people want to have fun and so I mean, you have Anny Howdy does fine as far as I know, but you have like rapidly growing generation of chains that we call entertainment, which is combining like food and game. So if you've ever been to top Golf, for instance, top Golf is you know, you go and you have a meal with some friends and then you it's like golf, but it's like bowling but it's golf, and so.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's like a David Busters kind of thing as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and David Busters does find there's like a bunch of pickleball concepts right now that are rapidly going because every all the millennials are suddenly playing pickleball now all the time. And now there's a bunch of restaurants that have that. So that's that's one of the things that's going on there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: So actually acts throwing, they're as throwing bars and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Puzzle puzzle bars. There's I can't even get track of them.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir, Thank you.
Speaker 4: This is fun.
Speaker 7: Thank you coming on this as a blast.
Speaker 3: Here's what I get from this, honestly, And this is not I'm not I'm I don't mean to shame anybody, because I'm certainly in the category, but we are doing things with food in our country.
Speaker 1: That are not healthy for us. They're not healthy for our bodies.
Speaker 3: And and I just wonder if this whole buffet thing just plays right into whatever that thing is. And maybe it was food and security for people for many years. Maybe it's the only way that we, you know, in this crazy world, the only way we have time with people we care about is during meals, and so we stretch them out more.
Speaker 1: We are we are consumed with consuming.
Speaker 5: My father used to say, he says, as a restaurant good, He'd saying no, But the portions are large, right, because you grow up with scarcity and what we want that, and I try to figure out when do we start consuming, like really being consumers, whether it's food, and we want more about stuff. It was doing a great depression, right, great pressure. What got us out of the depression was the war.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So the war came and all these companies started making tanks and they started making all of the right and then and then and then, and then the government started promising and pushing after the war because now these companies are geared up, they're going to stop making tanks, they're going to stop making all this stuff.
Speaker 1: What do they do, appliances?
Speaker 5: So they start started pushing right after the war, the dream home, use all those commercials. Everybody has to have refrigerator, everybody has to have the TV.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 5: So everybody was pitched the same stuff. All right, you have to have the same stuff. So America then bought all of that stuff and pushed it and pushed it and pushed it. Then you got in today's world. Now you've got people taking pictures of tech, not only of your food, to show what you got. But here's what I have, Here's what I have, Here's what I have. And consumerism exploded and I can get delivery in twenty minutes. But it all started in the thirties. The push was to get the economy going up and then and then you're showing off all that as well as good.
Speaker 3: But do do me a favor, all right, because we all pushed consumerism, Do me a favor.
Speaker 1: You're ready.
Speaker 3: Describe now, go sense memory, describe because I've seen you do it.
Speaker 1: Describe yourself with a buffet. What's your plate? Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's strategic. What you do is you get you get. I hate it because they downside the plates. But if you're smart, what you want to do is you want to get Steve food right away because it's expensive. And then you want to get a couple of ribs because a rib acts as a wall or a break, like a short between the fact. They're gonna have then tacos, you're gonna have some sushi. You can have some noodles, sausage, whatever the featured pork item is. Then you can have some mac and cheese yeah, some corn yeah. And then you can put more ribs in there, and.
Speaker 1: You can layer it. You can layer it way up.
Speaker 5: And then of course you have a couple of meatballs, and then ambrosi.
Speaker 1: And bro and then a half hour later, you go, I can't go, do you know?
Speaker 5: Okay, So I got ready. I gotta read you this. This is this is har stories of make it quick. The guy managed a BUFFETI and reno. Once this person would perge. They come in the bathroom and perch that's and come back out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another worker worker.
Speaker 5: Fay said, the woman could not figure out how to do the salt magging around you we fall out, so she put her mouth under the thing and started sucking lovely man sucking up. There was another one where they actually caught a guy getting pizza and dipping it into the onion soup and standing and eating at that.
Speaker 3: I thought of that, that's a fantastic idea.
Speaker 1: That's that's very good with this cheese and the onion soup.
Speaker 5: And then one of my favorite is the guy who comes up and takes his shirt and falls it so it's a bucket because you know not to take ste and he would knock around an empty chicks. But they said he wasn't covert. It was like, let me put five in here.
Speaker 1: He would lad the whole thing.
Speaker 5: And then the other person who used to come up and ship out of the ladle to take, not not for me.
Speaker 3: Not for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the fun of it, mister Live. What did we learned today? What did we Oh?
Speaker 2: Boy, we learned a lot of a lot about the buffet, a lot about overeating, actually a few things. Number one, you know, I found it interesting. Is it buffet or buffet?
Speaker 1: Comedy? Okay, I think the comedy? How do I say? If I don't think about it, let's go to the buffet?
Speaker 2: I say, yeah, yeah, he says buffet, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: B O O f A y.
Speaker 3: It's derived from the French word.
Speaker 1: I believe. I believe, so I say, I actually I actually have the answer for.
Speaker 2: Fascinating because I was I was going to, like say, Jason, but yes, obviously the buffet is the table, right, the buffet table. That's actually where the word comes from, as far as where you put the food on. That's what it's called that in French. So, Jason, you're saying, it's more in the French.
Speaker 3: Way, this is right, this way, this morgas board. You're wrong, it's mortgage your favorite. I'm gonna sit next a Dutch country it's logs. I lived near Pennsylvania, Dutch africat Wonderland.
Speaker 1: What they mean, I probably can some of the demon that.
Speaker 5: But here's what I want to do in the next episode of Really Really, I just I went the whole episode. You're calling furniture stores and saying, we're looking for a buffet table. I mean what they say?
Speaker 1: What I got?
Speaker 3: I got a few other things we had.
Speaker 2: You guys had had wondered what is the history of the buffet and you are correct it is. It is from the Swedish or origins, and it actually became more popular outside of Sweden after the nineteen like thirteen or something Olympics held there, So that's sort of where it became.
Speaker 1: It's distink why.
Speaker 3: Because the weightlifters went to the schmorgasboy and went, we should do this back home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like in the era of like the world's fairer things, and so they would bring the culturally eat things and they think they're world travelers.
Speaker 1: My father was like this, how he would do the world?
Speaker 3: Never traveled to Europe, but you've got out a slice of pizza.
Speaker 1: He went there. Otherly had a neg drop soup like the giant. All right, No, two more quick things.
Speaker 2: Peter is actually absolutely correct.
Speaker 1: Don't say the condescending He's.
Speaker 3: Gonna correct, by the way, fact, that's Peter's ringtone.
Speaker 5: Now, after seven hundred episodes, I've never been correct for Peter today was actually correct.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, well, I haven't even told you the subject.
Speaker 2: When you were talking about depression era, that is actually when the buffet became popular in America. In the United States, it was during depression era because they had less servers, right, they didn't have money for the servers, and they could have.
Speaker 1: People just go and get the food.
Speaker 2: And of course people really appreciated it back then because they made their you know, their dollars go a little bit first given choice. And then the final thing I will say is Golden care row.
Speaker 1: How much is there buffet?
Speaker 2: It depends on when you go. If you go on the weekend, you're going to be spending more. If you're going for dinner, you're going to be spending more. They offer they do do offer little things, but it's generally between twelve ninety nine and sixteen ninety depending well and depending on your specific We didn't.
Speaker 5: Get to ask what I wanted to ask was was regionally what works better? I'm guessing because down south we know that food's different, but what the buffets must look like in Mississippi is different than it looks like a New Canaan kinectic.
Speaker 1: Best buffet you.
Speaker 3: Ever went, seriously, remember I can I know exactly which one that is?
Speaker 5: Vegas probably the best buffet I think I went on you once ever.
Speaker 3: Ever it's a breakfast brunch buffet on the Queen Mary. Oh it is. It's not cheap, but boy it is endless and spettacking.
Speaker 5: Really, you know what breakfast buffets are better than lunch and dinner phase? I think, yeah, I think, I say there's something mentally well and also you can not to eat the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: Sure you do a different you've already had two meals and no, yeah, and you'd speaking of that. I'm gonna give David you can play along.
Speaker 3: I have before me the top twenty buffet foods, The top twenty things you'd find in the buffet, excluding a breakfast buffet, if you can.
Speaker 1: Get all twenty. The top twenty things that people eat. Yeah, okay, prime rib, prime rib is one M shrimp, shrimp correct?
Speaker 3: Salad, salad salad is salad is correct?
Speaker 1: Crab le crap no, no, not crap no, no, because that's regional. Okay, m.
Speaker 3: Pork line, pork line, Yes, roast roast, what's the park like?
Speaker 1: Roast, mac and cheese, mac and cheese. Yes, Oh we're gonna now we're going to eat rolls, roll bread. Yes, soup, what don't make a face sitting out? No soup? No soup. Oh my god, you've gotten five sick. Then this is a bogus squad. Here they go.
Speaker 3: Here are the top twenty Top twenty baked potato, chicken fry, chicken, barbecue, chicken, wings, chocolates, pastries, fruit salad, french fries, ham, hummus, mac and cheese, oysters, pasta, pizza, pork loin, pork ribs, potato salad, prime rib sausage, rolls, shrimp and soft serve ice cream.
Speaker 1: That yuck. You know what? You know what's really good for me?
Speaker 5: When you go to a budget buffet and suck down those oysters.
Speaker 1: That's what i'm That's what I'm trust And I had to sixty oysters. That's gonna work out. That's gonna work out, really really wrong. Peter Shick, what happened? We don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: It must have been the shrimp yeah, I gotta go throw up. Thank you everybody, announce it, take it away.
Speaker 4: Really now, Really, really.
Speaker 1: No Really.
Speaker 6: That's another episode of Really No Really comes to a close. I know you're wondering what was the most expensive party ever? Thrown the answer in a moment, but first let's thank our guest, Jonathan Mays. You can follow him on the web at Restaurant Business Magazine and on his podcast A Deeper Dive. His blog is the bottom Line and all of his other social media info is available on our website, and you can find us online at reallynoreally dot com. We're also on Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and threads it really No Really podcast. Please check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bill so you're updated when we release new videos. If you ever really know really let us know and if we use it, we will send you a thoughtful gift and thank you for listening, sharing, and most importantly, subscribing to our show. We release new episodes of Really No Really every Tuesday, so make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. And Now, the Most Expensive Party Ever thrown was easily. Shah Mohammad Raisa Pallavi of Iran's two thousand, five hundredth anniversary celebration of the Persian Empire, thrown on October fourteenth, nineteen seventy one tenths were erected over one hundred and sixty acres to house the festivities and all the celebrity guests. Catering was provided by Maxims of Paris, as well as one hundred and twenty waiters, forty chefs, and over eighteen tons of food, including six thousand pounds of beef, pork and lamb, three thousand pounds of chicken and fowl, and sixty six pounds of caviar. All that washed down with two thousand, five hundred bottles of champagne, one thousand bottles of Bordeaux, one thousand bottles of Burgundy, and twenty five thousand bottles of whiskey and other liquors, and the cost a mere ninety million dollars or in today's economy five hundred and sixteen million. And how was the shaw thanked for throwing this historic shindig, Well, they threw him out of the country and he died in exile in Egypt. Some have suggested it may be because he egregiously undertipped, but who's to.
Speaker 4: Say, really, no, really
Speaker 6: Really no really His production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment