Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Happy Holidays. Thank you always so much for tuning in. Shout out to our super producer Max the Atlanta Sanna Williams.
Speaker 2: O La La la la. Indeed, man, you've been back pocketing that one, Ben, just for the holiday time.
Speaker 1: Off the Dome, Off the Dome Freestyle days. Thank you. Noel, I am Ben Bullen. You are Noel Brown. This is candidly. This is a little bit of a weird therapy thing for me because I have kicked soda again and it's crazy uphill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I do it every now and again, just like for a treat like the salami for the cats, if anyone remembers that meme. But by and large I am a Seltzer guy. Seltzer has replaced soda for me. I have a soda stream, but I never put in the I never put in the syrups. I just like a good old fashioned regular plane Seltzer. Plane.
Speaker 3: Old Seltzer is a way to go. Yeah, Ben, how's the dreams going?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean to tell you about this. Nola has heard this from the last Tomic with soda. But the thing I didn't expect where the weird soda withdrawal dreams. Probably the strangest one was I was in a fight with a vampire very like climactic Stephen Kink's Midnight Mass style, okay, and then part way through the fight, I'm like, you know, wave it like fighting it off with like a quarter staff thing as a cross on it, And part way through the vampire pauses and says time out. And then it took from somewhere a can of Coca Cola, opened it and did the iconic coke drink where you go, and then put it down, and the dream continued. I had a sponsored ad and a dream.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's we're not too far from that, irl. But not to like editorialize your dream too much. But wouldn't it have been fun if the vampire had just sunk his fangs into the can itself. That would have been a fun little twist, it would have. It would have Speaking of vampires and being good at fighting, I think all three of us have been enjoying Skyrim lately, and in one of my very first journeys out into the wilds of Skyrim, I was attacked by a vampire, and I guess they got to hit in because a little bit later I kept getting a notification that you are starting to grow weary as the sun comes up, and you have a strange craving.
Speaker 3: It's when they do that spell. They they kind of suck on you, like spell they can give you vamp purists.
Speaker 2: I forget what the name of it. In the s it seems to have subsided though I didn't really do anything about it. No, I don't think I did. But maybe will the the potion to cure all diseases fix that for you? Yeah, okay, I must have done that. Then.
Speaker 3: It's one of these things that if you take care of it in you know, a couple of days, it's fine. But if you kind of don't, you know, it's like most things, if we don't take care of it, it can turn out really good.
Speaker 2: Where some people go that route though, right where they're like, I want to do this and I miss I imagine if you service it correctly, it gives you special perks to some degree. But then you do have to feed on human blood.
Speaker 1: Without spoiling too too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was very into the vampire quest line. I wanted to love the were wolves, but I chose vampire and have got You can become a vampire lord, and so you do get some you get some cool perks.
Speaker 2: They have their own boots, the vampire boots, so you know, yeah, but Sun, yeah, well you can fix that problem too. But one thing the vampires do not have in Skyrim, despite all their cool stuff, is soda pop. Because you know, the world of Elder Scrolls in Skyrim is fascinating and endless and so cool, but it has a severe lack of soda. They have a lot of beverages, but they don't have carbonated's mead all toe wine is a popular choice. You guys. You know, I think we are not allowed to just casually do this out of nowhere, but I really love people from a certain part of the country that calls soda uh just pop. I think that would be a little bit too much, even a form of cultural appropriation, if we just started casually referring to Coca Cola as pop.
Speaker 3: I guess I could kind of, because I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Michigan, You're a Michigander.
Speaker 3: I have family who call it pop. It's it's kind of cringe when I hear it.
Speaker 2: I honestly think.
Speaker 3: It's it's like it's with the Midwestern accent. It's very it's a little Mickey Mouse, you know what I mean. It's a little like ah shucks, right, it really is.
Speaker 1: There's also I mean, you know, when in Rome do as the Romans do, so I've I've referred to it as pop. I still think that's better that when I'm traveling there. I still think that's better than the tendency we see sometimes in the in the South to call every soft drink a coke.
Speaker 2: I just call it soda. But I do have to walk back my claim of having kicked soda entirely full sugar soda, I have kicked entirely, but I do drink diet coke still on a pretty regular basis. Call them DC's nice.
Speaker 1: I like it not to be confused with R C Cola, which will going to name check later in our exploration. Folks, soda pop is just amazing. It's not healthy, and a lot of people probably drink too much of it. I sure did back in the day, but can we blame them. If you, like us, spent some formative years in the Georgia or Atlanta area, you're probably most familiar with Coca cola. But that is only the beginning of the story. The world of soda is wide and vast. We've been texting each other in our little group chat with sort of this, remember this vibe, but what happened to this one? And it's the history of this is bub bubbling to the brim with ridiculousness. So let's pop the top and get started. Maybe we talk with the terms like soft drink, soda, pop itsever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to imagine, just right off the rip, that a soft drink refers to anything that like isn't alcoholic, you know, because it's a soft It's like if it's for kids, you know, it's a soft drink. Also, it's a little bit of a backhanded, almost disc kind of it's like you you're soft. One thing, just another Skyrim reference, a term of abuse thrown around a lot in that game is a milk drinker. Being a milk drinker it means that you're a little baby boy who doesn't like to consume or and bube, you know, the hard stuff.
Speaker 1: My new favorite, my new favorite anachronistic insult that I recently learned is calling someone fatherless.
Speaker 2: Geez. That's kind of like a baster, right, Yeah, it's it's almost worse though it's more direct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's worse than that, you know, I don't know. Well, use that one carefully, folks. Soft drink, No, you're absolutely right, is an umbrella term for any number of non alcoholic beverages. That's their primary commonality. They're usually carbonated, but not always, and they'll often nowadays, they'll have some kind of angle, some flavor profiles, so it's not just carbonated water. There will be all kinds of natural or artificial flavors. They might add some juice if they're getting fancy, and there's almost always a sweetening agent, whether it's corn syrup or actual cane sugar, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I love this term you threw into the dock here ben edible acids. That that seems like an umbrella term in and of itself. It could perhaps refer to things that might make you see stuff as well.
Speaker 1: There we go, shout out to our friends at the at Britannica. There we gotta, we gotta do a history of Britannica one day.
Speaker 2: That way, well, and speaking of rule Britannia or Britannica, you know, you'll often hear people referring to a soft cider in the UK as being you know, a cider still have some alcohol in them, but they are a little bit of a lighter alcoholic beverage. So soft cider as a term I've seen used a lot in like BBC stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was another one historically. I think it was weak beer, which sounds kind of like an insult, but it was just a normal phrase back in the day and week sauce man weak sauce and not everything that fits these commonalities counts as a soft drink because coffee is not a soft drink, or not refer to it, not referred to as one, tea, milk, hot chocolate, straight up vegetable or fruit juice, those don't count in general. The main thing is, as you described, is that a soft drink was meant to be a distinguishing description from hard liquor.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, we certainly know too. Historically there was a time where people drank beer, you know, like water because of the fact that the fermentation process killed all the bad stuff that would have been in the normal water supply. So, you know, especially in like Nordic times or whatever, you know, you'd have people that were just stay and toasty all day long because it was really the only alternative to drinking, you know, kind of putrefied water.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, it's kind of like the choice between dysentery and day drinking, and history decided for.
Speaker 2: A while, right, there should be a rapper with the name mc dysentery, but dis you know, nice? I like that one.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Also, there was really interesting cherry picked historical fact I've found and I haven't verified it, but someone was like when the Irish first discovered whiskey, they didn't do anything for two hundred years.
Speaker 2: It was like man discovering fire, you know, right, fire water.
Speaker 1: And it's strange because going into this, I don't know about you guys, but I think a lot of people would assume that soda pop is a pretty recent invention. But the story really starts back in the seventeen hundreds, and the idea of carbonating stuff is way way older.
Speaker 2: That's right. Beer and champagne, of course, are both alcoholic beverages that are best enjoyed carbonating or actually the I believe the very process of the fermentation creates some amount of carbonation, if I'm not mistaken, right, it gives you sort of a natural amount of bubbles. Those drinks, of course, have been around for centuries. By the seventeenth century, street vendor in Paris were selling lemonade, which has its own story. I believe we've done a history of lemonade and lemonade stands. And also ciders were not that hard to come by either, But the very first drinkable man made glass of carbonated water wasn't around until more along the lines of the seventeen sixties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, shout out to what was that episode Rise of the clown Pants.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, sir, that was a gross one. Check it out though, it's a good classic, And yeah, I love the idea. You know, people refer too often as one of their favorite characteristics of a soda pop or of seltzer is that burn of the of the carbonation. People call it the bite and the burn, and it was referred to back in the day as sort of a being almost spicy. And I have heard little kids say, oh, that's spicy, but they're referring to more of the way it hits the throat, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sensation of effervescence was a huge factor in the creation of modern soda pop because in the days of the Greco Romans, people believe that natural mineral water had curative medicinal properties. Because you feel the little bubbles, it feels like something is happening, so people assumed it was good. If people thought the effervescence, if they assumed that tingly feeling was bad, then we might not have soda pop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like it feels like it's doing something, you know, it feels like there are curative properties at work. And you know, mineral water is still around today. Of course, you know Perrier and San Pellogrino. I have a little bit more mineral content in them because I believe of the source and some you know, carbonated water, they believe they come out of the ground carbonated you know, there are these like kind of bubbling springs where that stuff comes out like that. If I'm not mistaken, I might be overstating the case. I know you're correct, I think.
Speaker 1: And so in this meliueuring soft drink invenors wanted to reproduce this health enhancing quality or perception. It wanted to make really kind of a patent medicine, and they first started using chalk and acid edible acid we assume to carbonate water.
Speaker 2: Shock weird. Okay, So the first soft drinks that were actually mass marketed came around in the seventeenth century as a mixture of water and lemon juice with a little bit of honey added to sweeten the deal. In sixteen seventy six, the Compigni de Lemonadillos was formed in Peri and granted a monopoly. They were given a monopoly to produce and sell these products, and vendors would carry around tanks of the stuff on their backs, like an early predecessor to the camelback from which they dispensed these cups of lemonade. That would you know, they'd reuse the cups.
Speaker 1: And everybody knew when they started working on soda as a concept, everybody knew the primary thing was the bubbles. That is how you made it feel official and medicinal. And a lot of people worked on just the concept of carbonation. We're talking about academics, we're talking about independent scientists kind of doing their renaissance man thing. You can see the first time someone used the term gas to talk about this carbon dioxide stuff. That was a Flemish scientist named Jean Baptista Van.
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh, what a great name. You know, it's funny. In Germany, carbonated water is referred to as mit gas. That just means with gas with bubbles and also, guys, isn't it funny? How if you accidentally drink some coke that has gone flat, it is disgusting. The bubbles make all the difference. It's a psychological thing. It's weird. It's literally making you think that something tastes better than it actually tastes. It's an illusion of the mind, an.
Speaker 1: Illusion of the mind. Yeah, and you're absolutely right, because soda shares something a similar quality to French fries. Right, they're good while they're fresh, and then they turn into just regular oddly cut potatoes.
Speaker 2: I sat let them get cold. So there's a.
Speaker 1: Guy named Robert Boyle who occurs in the stories of philosopher and scientists. He later helps found modern chemistry. He talks about mineral waters in a book with a cartoonish title, Short Memoirs for the Natural Experimental History of Mineral Waters. Rolls off the talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was in sixteen eighty five, and in that book there were sections about examining some of these mineral springs that we were talking about, and you know, looking into the properties that this water contain as well as their effects on the human body. And to quote the book of the Imitation of Natural Medicinal Waters by Kamic and other Artificial wys, this is like old English stuff at its finest, chemic good chym i col and ways as wayes. So let's fast forward a little bit to talk about the kind of rise of the soda industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, there's a guy named Joseph Priestley. He was an English clergyman and a scientist, and his street name now is the father of the soft drinks industry, because he demonstrated how you could take the fermenting vats from a brewery and experiment with the gas that they created, like you're saying, during the fermentation process. So it's seventeen seventy two. He's hanging with the College of Physicians in London and he says, look at this, I've made a corbinate apparatus and if only I had a pump, I could have more high impregnation of fixed air within the water.
Speaker 2: I mean, he basically invented the prototype for the soda stream, right, you know, because I mean, it's so cool. It's also like if it's fun, it's like almost like doing your own little science project at home. You get these can these these well I guess, these kind of metal tanks, miniature tanks of CO two, and then you put it in, You put the bottle in, and it essentially imbues, you know, or injects the water with this gas, and then it creates carbonated water.
Speaker 1: And this this is all interesting, right, this is all very ted talkie. Look at the world we could create in the future. But it's still just a series of proofs of concept. The brand of sort of the first like production of carbonated water comes from a guy named Thomas Henry, and he cribbed Priestley's work, or we should say he read it and then he applied it. He made his water in these twelve gallon barrels. And then someone heard about Priestley, someone heard about Henry, someone heard about some other guys. One of the main characters in the history of soda Jacob Schwepp, a Swiss jeweler who said, hey, I can play along at home. He started selling his artificial mineral waters, still unflavored, to people in Geneva where he lived, and then later he started his own business in London, which makes Sweps super old and the oldest soda brand still around today.
Speaker 2: It's honestly still one of the best. You know, I think that the Ginger Sweps ginger Ale is, you know, pretty universally considered one of the best, and it's just the most popular one you see on the shelf. You'll see Seagrums every now and then. But it's funny how like even coc Cola purchase I believe put coca and pepsi they own Schweps and Seagrums, respectively. I can't remember which owns which, but they didn't make it themselves because this pre existing legacy company had already kind of cornered the market and the recipe on ginger Ale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Schweps in this regard reminds me a little bit of Henry Kissinger Jimmy Carter, because it outlived so many of its competitors rivals. Some folks will tell you there's another another brand that deserves the title of first soda or oldest soda, and that's something called Verners, which comes about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really popular war I'm certain I believe in Michigan had to.
Speaker 3: Do very big in Michigan. That's a very very very popular.
Speaker 2: They make a spicy one. If I'm not missing incredibly spicy. Great.
Speaker 3: I don't drink sod at all, but you know I will have a Werner's a fresh. Verners just don't get the two leader of it, because after you crack it open, it goes from spicy to.
Speaker 2: Not that's and then it's just then it's just weird, gross spicy fla favored water exactly.
Speaker 1: And also so we wanted to give Verners their due, and we want to note that in the great swep Verner's Debate, it really depends on how we define soft drink, and there have been some serious debates about it. You can find them online. It's amazing how people spend their time.
Speaker 2: Don't we know it? Right? Yeah? I mean look at us. Right.
Speaker 1: So this was again mostly these kinds of drinks were considered medicinal, and people would make different grades of carbonated water. There was a letter written by a business tycoon named Matthew Bolton to the philosopher Erasmus star When in seventeen eighty four, and Noel, I thought you would enjoy this when they break down the types of carbonated water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jay Schwepp prepares his mineral waters in three varieties. Number one for common drinking with dinner, Number two for nephritic nephritic patients. Help me out with that one, any problems, got it? Okay? And because once again we're still leaning into the medicinal aspect of these products at this point. And number three contains the most alkali, given only in more violent cases. I don't know what that means. I don't either, what the use your imagination?
Speaker 1: You are fatherless in a violent case, Yes, you have a violent kidney. So these things were humming along, but we still haven't reached the age of modern soda quite yet. The first US patent for the creation of what they called imitation mineral water comes around eighteen ten.
Speaker 2: That's so funny because it really is they're trying to duplicate again from the earliest days, the effects of a very natural process. So I love that. You know, the whole idea for this racket comes from nature. So yeah, to your point, The first US patent comes through around eighteen ten. Then in eighteen nineteen, a guy named Samuel Fanstock creates the modern day roughly soda fountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is cool because it's older than I thought. I guess I assumed it was late eighteen hundreds or post Civil war, but they were. People were already expanding all aspects of this industry. Nobody knows to this very day, nobody knows exactly who started adding flavoring and sweeteners to soda, and no one knows exactly when they did it.
Speaker 2: But we know that by.
Speaker 1: The late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, people were already selling wine with carbonated water.
Speaker 2: They were Lincoln the weird to me. I don't know why. I mean, I guess Champagne, you know, honestly, unless it comes from the Champagne region of France, it's usually just considered a sparkling wine, so a white. But can you imagine drinking carbonated red wine? That seems just wrong.
Speaker 1: I saw I saw someone at a party, I want to say, who was drinking some kind of like die coke red wine thing.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I have heard about that. Yeah, coc and red wine is a thing. Maybe I'll try it.
Speaker 3: What do you guys think of those people who put coffee in their coke?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I actually just heard about that watching a new show called Murder at the End of the World from Oh Gosh, the woman and her directing partner who did like another Earth and sound of my voice and the OA it's good. But there's a whole scene involving a character putting coke into their coffee or vice versa, and then the other person in the scene tries it and find it disgusting. But you may recall there was a brief period where a Coca Cola had a coffee coke hybrid. Right, it was black. I wanted to like it.
Speaker 1: It was not good. It was not good. I don't know how that got off the drawing board.
Speaker 2: But well, because I think it's one of those things like people just do and they're like, well, what if we just give it to them? Give people what they want. But it turns out maybe there aren't that many people that want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they're sample size was weird. Maybe they talked only to the twelve people who like that. But we say, as coffee lovers folks, by the way, so we know that coke when they made coke black, and when pepsi makes pepsi clear and all those things. They're really just doing iterations of a centuries old phenomenon. Which is adding flavors and any kind of kick to to regular old seltzer water. Ginger becomes popular in eighteen twenty is a flavoring, then lemon, and then tonic.
Speaker 2: Well, and to your point about the soda fountain, you know what we have today that are still referred to as fountain drinks. All of that stuff is mixed kind of by machine or like by these you know, this process where it just injects the flavoring into the carbonated water. Which is also why you'll find that a fountain drink version of a particular soda tastes different a lot of times than the canned or bottled version because it the mix isn't always scientifically a curio, but the soda fountain early days, it was, you know, a person that was hand mixing these things, you know, like the old soda jerk.
Speaker 1: Also, not to turn anybody into germophobes, but a lot of the variants in soda, in soda from a fountain depends on whether or not the fountain is clean exactly.
Speaker 2: You ever had like a diet coke from a soda fountain, and it tastes a whole hell of a lot like regular coke. That's because there's some what's the word contamination.
Speaker 1: Going on there, and people quickly realized that they could, with relatively little effort, they could turn one product line of plain old saltz water into a monopoly of different spicy flavored drinks pineapple, orange, lemon, apple, just like picture of fruit. And at some point someone decided it should also be a soda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you know, we've again with the kind of craze of you know, just Seltzer's one joke that I always love to repeat. I don't remember where I heard it, but they say, like Lacroix flavored Lacroix tastes like somebody whispered the name of a fruit from the next room.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whatever, take with that, do with it what you will. But of course, these you know, syrup based.
Speaker 3: Drinks, you guys never had the lemon. I hate it and I don't like Yeah, there's no quiz.
Speaker 2: It's too much, it's too heavy, and it tastes more like oil, like like it says it's like you're drinking essential oils or something that's sweet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm also, just to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan La Croix is ever gonna have. I respect people's right to enjoy what they want, but I'll just drink water and then eat whatever fruit that stuff.
Speaker 2: Propos to be smart. I like Polar, I think better than Lacroix. Polar is pretty good. They're on black cherry. Montanees is a local Seltzer company outfit here and the lad But what I was saying, the syrups in question here that we're being used in the eighteen sixty five incredibly sweet. And that was by design. Yeah, that was the whole idea. It was really like a treat kind of a drink.
Speaker 1: And they're figuring it out as they go, As we say in Corporate America, they're sort of building the plane while they're flying it, and they make a lot of great breakthroughs, but of course there are also a lot of mistakes along the way. Probably the most infamous mistake in the history of soda occurs in eighteen eighty five when a guy named Charles Alderton, who must have been having a terrible day, invents something that is called doctor Pepper. It was originally called Waco and people are still drinking it of their own volition. You don't I get I mean, if you're going to have that many ingredients make a couple of them not.
Speaker 2: Poop fair enough. I don't know about that. We'll get to it. But to me, Doctor Pepper always I think was it was kind of one of those things where it's like, what is this supposed to taste? Like it's vaguely black cherry but sort of not. Let's hear more about this, Ben, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: This is this is the side note. Yeah, I'm really glad you talked about the taste.
Speaker 2: This is. This is so weird.
Speaker 1: Uh, but we do know what Alderton was attempting to do with Waco now known as Doctor Pepper. The story is no true this is. But the story is that he was working in a in a pharmacy and he was trying to recreate the He wanted the soda to taste the way that the pharmacy smelled.
Speaker 2: Okay, so medicinal like cleaning product like bleach. What are we talking about here?
Speaker 1: I see there's a there's a method to the madness, Noll. There's a reason that I'm dunking on Doctor Pepper. Also, I'm leaning into it. I just should get a funny but uh but yes, and you know, honestly, Doctor Pepper went on to have an amazing uh product, but the whole game changed very shortly afterwards. Like doctor Pepper invented eighteen eighty five, just one year later, a guy in Atlanta, Georgia in eighteen eighty six he invents something called coca cola, and he does it. The rumor is to help him kick his war feet out.
Speaker 2: Oh weird. What's the guy's name again? I always forget the coke guys?
Speaker 1: John Pemberton.
Speaker 2: Pemberton, that's right. So, yeah, you've got some nice ub let's call them honorifics. I guess he've made up for the Spello, the Gretzki of guzzle, Oh, the tiger Woods of tonic water, the Kobe Bryant of soda. Yeah, no, accurate. This guy really did change the game for better or worse. In eighteen eighty six, John Pemberton did just that. He invented coca cola, and the history of coke is rife. You know, we've all heard the rumors that are largely true that the original recipe of coca cola did in fact contain cocaine in addition to the cola nuts, not to be confused with koala nuts. Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, cocaine had a much less sinister reputation.
Speaker 2: They gave you a papa, It gave you a little zip. It was in a lot of stuff back then. It sure was a lot.
Speaker 1: Of metals, a lot, a lot of medicine. Yeah, and this all happens during the period of rapid expansion. By eighteen sixty, there are one hundred and twenty three bottling plants for soft drinks in the US, and then just ten years later there are three hundred and eighty seven. By nineteen hundred, there are almost three thousand different plants just making soda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, popular stuff. It really did kind of kick off a bit of a craze, but still doesn't quite explain the absolutely meteoric rise of soda and how I just became such a staple. And believe it or not, we really owe a lot of credit to the temperance movement, the idea of being a teetotaler and soda being sort of a mandated I guess, substitute for alcoholic beverages. People needed something to take the edge off, and it did contain you know, chemicals, you know, caffeine, sugar. Obviously, it made you feel something. It's better than you know, not drinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, these party police here's how I picture it. I picture it like they're kind of militant. They had a reputation.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry. They they had cocaine in them too. By the way, they really did make you feel something better, right, carry on there.
Speaker 1: It's weird because I'm picturing in my mind a media of teetotalers and they're worried about their public image, and they're like, guys, people are saying that we're not fun, and well, don't listen to them. They're drunk, and they say, no, we need something, We need something positive. So we're not a movement that's just dedicated to eradicating something. We need an alternative. So let's get the kids hanging out at pharmacies and selling soft drinks a soda fountains. That made those places wholesome social hanging spots, like going to a community center or something. And then that made in the teetotaler calculus that made bars and later speakeasies even worse. These were like the last refuges of low lifes and degenerates before they reached the grave.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're not wrong, you know, there are certain type of dive bar situations that are the sort of roosting places for you know, the problematic elements, you know, folks that are maybe what you might call problem drinkers. You're more likely to see a fight or a knifing, you know, break out in one of these spots than you would say, at a soda fountain or what we call it.
Speaker 3: Like, I feel like I've worked in many of these places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you certainly have, Max, That's where we first became acquainted with one another, and you worked at a pretty reputable joint. But there are certain spots that, you know, especially in bigger cities, where you may well not be welcome if you're not a known quantity.
Speaker 3: I actually got to jump in here because I legitimately cannot remember the name of this place in Chicago, so I can't really slander them. But there's this bar in Chicago. It's cash only, and you have to I forget that there's a way to get in. But there's like the big thing about it is it's everyone knows like everything they're doing inside is illegal, Like they're selling like boozze, Like after hours, you can't smoke inside any building in Chicago. People are just chain smoking, and there's all the sides up from the said like, oh, all this stuff. But it's just so funny to walk in because it's like there's this facade and everyone knows this is a total facade, but as soon as you walk in, it's like nope. And the one thing is all the bartenders are all really old and they're all really mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's stuff I've seen. I've seen similar things, Like in London, I stumbled onto a place through through contact and it was you were able to smoke cigarettes inside, probably other stuff too. I didn't stay too long. It's a weird vibe and they were doing after hours things. In their loophole was that they are a private club or they're a private property kind of thing, so they're not quote unquote open to the public.
Speaker 3: I think they had something similar to that. But I think their loophole was they had some hands in organized crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Not unusual and yeah, I mean, of course, you know we talk about these speakeasies, right and once you know, the temperance movement took hold and the laws changed and alcohol was illegal, that did become a hotbed of organized crime. A lot of these locations were run by you know, the mob or mob like elements.
Speaker 1: And just like with boot lagging, transportation played a big role in the rise of soda because for a while, you could only get this stuff if you were living in proximity of some sort to a factory and there was a horse drawn carriage that could reach you. But now all of a sudden, we have gas powered trucks and automobiles. The American shipping industry is experiencing a revolution, and the reach of soda extends as well. So by nineteen twenty, the US alone is home to more than five thousand bottling plants, and that's all they do, day in, day out. They make weird Sodas the first vending machines come along, they put soda into cups. And I can't say cups for some reason without remembering that amazing meme of the lizard drinking out of cups. I think we talked about this on stuff. They want you to know. Oh it's classic, not all of it aged well, but it's so funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's take a quick pause in the history, just talk a little bit more about process. We talked about injecting the bubbles. You know, into still water to kind of mimic the effects and qualities of this naturally carbonated stuff. But you know, these early processes were much more, you know, kind of single serving. Right, We're now in a situation where we've got to mass produce this stuff. So how does the technology start to evolve to meet the demand. Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it starts with the water. Of course, often that's coming from a safe processed municipal supply, but just to be certain, these companies also will process it further, so it's weird without getting two in the weeds. Sometimes they just run it through a sand filter to get rid of solid matter, and then they run it through an activated carbon purifier to get rid of chlorine color and other taste or odors, except in the case of course Doctor Pepper, where I think they just go to a sewer and start scooping stuff up with a lab.
Speaker 2: How do you really feel about Doctor Pepper?
Speaker 1: We had to pick one. We had to pick one to dunk on. Max is giving a thumbs down. Wait, Max, are you the I know?
Speaker 2: I I don't think so at all.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I hate Doctor Pepper because they have like the most annoying commercials of all time to play NonStop during college football. I've also adopted this thing where I don't buy products that advertise during college football fa So I've continued to not buy doctor Pepper, and.
Speaker 2: That is a reasonable bias. It is not something that I necessarily reached for when I'm having my little soda treat. But I don't hate it, perhaps as much as you guys do. And there are better versions of it, like what is it? You know, geez not Werners, but there's another you see him at like cool like Delis like in New York. It's got this weird bearded man on the on the like, but they have a really good black cherry Doctor Brown Doctor Brown's good. That's not the one that is very similar, very much in the same wheelhouse. They also Doctor Brown's has an excellent black cherry soda. So of course, all of this starts, like you said, with water. Oftentimes, as we know, even with bottled water made by these soda magnates that they got into the business and hey, let's just sell the stuff that we make the stuff out of. It just comes from the good old fashioned municipal water supply, though it is oftentimes processed a little bit further in order to maintain some sort of standards for the finished product. Impurities within water supplies for different parts of the country. Municipalities can of course vary from time to time, and there are allowable levels of impurities that can vary as well by municipality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so in most plants these days, the water is going to go through a process called super chlorination and coagulation. For two hours. The water gets exposed to a cartoonishly high amount of chlorine and to something called a floculent. Floculant is just a fancy word for thing that removes algae and bacteria and then it goes back through this sand filter carbon thing. But at that point you still don't have something you can sell as soda. You need the bubbles, you need the magic. And I'll be honest, this got me watching the old school Gene Wilder, Willy Wonka or Charlie in the chocolate factory. It holds up, man, it's really good.
Speaker 2: So now we've purified the water to some degree, let's talk about how we get those bubbles, which is kind of the feature of the whole product into said water. Carbon dioxide gas gives these beverages that sparkle that bites. And also it makes it more shelf stable, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It really does. Yeah, And the carbonation is created by chilling the liquid and then cascading it in thin layers over a series of plates in this enclosure that has pressurized carbon dioxide gas. It's a really cool like how stuff gets made opportunity. You know, you can see videos of this on YouTube. And the amount of gas the water will absorb depends on how high the pressure is and how low the temperature is. So it's fascinating science. We're still not done. Now we've got basically selter our imitation mineral water, but everybody's selling seltzer. How do we hush it up a little? How do we add some so an angle?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah, syrups right, and you know, of course we've got syrups that are naturally occurring, like maple syrup, you know, from the sap of the maple tree. But when you're talking about concentration of flavor, you know, to get that sort of essence of like a particular type of flavor with be a lemon, black, cherry, raspberry, or what have you, we're talking about creating this stuff. First, you have a simple syrup which is a great thing in and of itself. I'm a big fan of using simple syrup and iced coffee or even regular coffee, which is basically just cooking down sugar into sort of a more viscous solution, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a solution of water and sugar, and you can take some other steps. You can treat this simple sugar with carbon you can filter it if sugar is not you know, top quality, and all the other ingredients are added in a precise order to create what's called the finished syrup. This is where stuff like a secret recipe comes in, because it's not just what you put in. It's when you combine these things your order of operations.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hence the Willy wonknness of it all. And there are two methods for producing that finished syrup. In the first method, the syrup is diluted with water and then the product gets cooled carbonated. You know, it's cooked right like I said, with making the simple syrup, and then it's cooled down, carbonated and bottles. And in the second to the maker actually measures a precise amount of syrup into each bottle. You got the carbonated water separately, then you fill it with the syrup or add it and first then you know, dilute it with the carbonated water. In either case, the sugar is about fifty one to sixty percent of the syrup and it is reduced to around eight to thirteen percent in the finished beverage, So it is considerably I guess, packing a lot of punch. It's a very dense like it's like dark matter, you know, when it comes to flavoring.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, if you ever, if you ever worked in a restaurant or hospititality industry, you may have heard of people who just tried the straight syrup. It's very much not as cool as the soda. It's just too concentrated, right, And one twelve ounce soft drink can contain more than forty grams of sugar as a result. Here, that's a lot of sugar, right.
Speaker 2: Seeing those images in like health class where it's like it shows you the pile of sugar, the physical pile of sugar that would go into forty grams of sugar physically to look at is a frickin' ant hill of sugar. I saw.
Speaker 1: I saw Bernie Sanders, the politician Bernie Sanders recently and his his rant for the day was soda and children. And he had like a twenty ounce Coca cola bottle that buddy yeah, and he was, yeah, it's what he asked, Coca cola bottle.
Speaker 4: And he's like, this single bottle of Coca cola alone contains fourteen tea spoons of sugar. That's far more than is recommended or even allowed for twoldren.
Speaker 2: That's ten percent of the five percent of the one percent of the allowable limits of sugar intake for the American people.
Speaker 1: And then he'll bet his percentages.
Speaker 2: It's Bernie Sanders catchphrase.
Speaker 1: And shout out to who whatever genius is cutting his hair. I'm kidding, I'm I'm personally hey.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. He just kind of runs his fingers.
Speaker 1: I find him just such a fascinating historical.
Speaker 3: Is not the best thing ever. It was BID's inauguration. He wore these ned and yeah, they got him on. Colbert got him on like right afterwards. Ask him and he's like he like said who it was, and then he very quickly tried to retract it because he's like everyone's like flooding this woman asking for more, and she just made she like knitted them for him, and everyone's like, can we get some of these herself? And she's like, no, this is just something I did. I like to knit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really is.
Speaker 1: He always looks like in so many appearances, I I can't disassociate him from his cousin's fantastic show Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I always feel like he's sort of in a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode when.
Speaker 2: I say her distant cousins that, I think, yeah, I say, though, yeah, they definitely have a vibe that they share. So we've got this mega, mega concentrated flavor you know, crack that is now you know, uh, injected into the carbonated water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, politics aside, our Palbernie is absolutely correct about the health concerns surrounding soda. It's delicious, it's interesting, it's it's a heck of a treat, but it is not healthy. And here we're going to pause, not for a soda break. We're staying strong throughout this episode. But this is gonna have to be a two parter because we're setting up the history, some of which is ridiculous, but we have yet to get to the most ridiculous part, which is the sodas of yesteryear.
Speaker 2: That's right, and the Yeah, there's a lot of interesting history there too, and just a lot of absurd marketing that goes into this kind of stuff, and we'll talk a lot about the nostalgia factor of it all is well. Huge thanks to super producer Max Williams, his brother Alex Williams, who composed our theme.
Speaker 1: Big Big thanks to Jonathan Strickland aka the Quizter, Big Big thanks to A. J. Jacobs aka the Puzzler. Check out our friends over on Ridiculous Crimes Aaron Elizabeth, Dan Dave if you want to hear more ridiculous often heist related history. And I'm hoping that we can. We've been talking about forever, but I'm hoping we could get a crossover going with them in the New Year.
Speaker 2: I think that's definitely gonna happen. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.