Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's the show that she has the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's given me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashaan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: The opinions expressed on this show are not those of Clark Atlanta University or WCOK. Some of the guests highlighted on this show maybe clients of thirty eight to fifteen Media, The producers of this show. WCOK provides his platform as a public service and not as an endorsement of the guests or products discussed.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's to show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions, and in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry.
Speaker 1: Decision make because it's what he likes to do. It's what he likes to share.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 5: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm Rashan McDonald.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Money Making Conversation Masterclass show. The interviews and information this show provides off for everyone. It's time to start reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guess is the director of Candice Parker, the intimate ESPN film Candice Parker, Unpologetic. Candas is one of the biggest stars in basketball, a WNBA champion and pioneer who not only fulfilled the way the expectations of her being surrounded with this great potential as a young teenager, but redefine what it means to be a woman's sports star in the twenty first century. Please, he's welcome the Money Making Conversation Masterclass.
Speaker 4: The director Joey Jacobi. How you doing, Joey, We're doing really well.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: First of all, you know what I got excited. It came across my desk. There was a Candas Parker docu film that was out there, and I got a chance to interview the director. Because there's a certain mindset, because you look at things from a certain perspective.
Speaker 4: And the first thing I wanted to know, like I was looking at your.
Speaker 6: Background, you know, body of work Inclues Return to Mexico, To Mexico two thousand and nine, London twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: Guess something else you're gonna put.
Speaker 5: That actually film?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I know Games of the Opiad twenty twelve and Sarah and Suzanne twenty fourteen. Now when I look at that and then I look at the Candas Parker, how did you feel there was something that you wanted to navigate your strengths into that particular docu series.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean yes, I think I've always been. I started off in sports. I was working with ESPN straight out of college and worked my way up to being like a senior producer there, and I became known for telling stories that were about when things are more when when sport changes the world and enacts social change. So one of the first pieces was Return to Mexico City, in nineteen sixty eight, and you know that was the reason.
Speaker 5: That was, you know, that was where where we went with that.
Speaker 7: But Candace is is within my wheelhouse in terms of sports.
Speaker 5: But in the later years, I've been doing.
Speaker 7: More biopics and really in depth studies of people, and I connected with Candace, you know, as a fan.
Speaker 5: First of all, I was a huge fan of her work.
Speaker 7: And there are people that I would look around and I'm like, you know, when they're talking about goats of the w N, sometimes Candace's name isn't as high as I think it deserves to be on those lists. She is looked over beyond you know, they always are talking about Sue and Diana Tarassi and you know, we start to hear a lot of these names before Candace is and I'm wondering why. And I really wanted to present a very you know, objective, data driven film where you're seeing, you know, her work speak for itself and learning about her journey. And when you really dig deep into Candace, what's interesting about her is that she is unique to any of all of these athletes, all of these women athletes, because she had a child very early in her career, which she was literally a rookie and had all of this expectation put on her and still has has has been one.
Speaker 5: Of the greatest.
Speaker 7: Beyond that, it's you know when you you also learn that she was playing nearly the three hundred and sixty five days a year basketball professionally, and can you imagine what that puts on the strain on a person's body, going to Russia, China, Istanbul for the majority of her year and really looking at the WMBA as a summer job as like, you know, her side job, her side hustle because it wasn't paying the bills. And that's the story for so many other elite women athletes in this country.
Speaker 5: They have to go abroad to make a living.
Speaker 7: So I really wanted to just show what her life really encompasses. And there's all of the challenges that this woman has gone through and still you know been She's the only w NBA star to ever win a championship with three different franchises, So you know, it's her.
Speaker 5: She's the winning sauce. She's the reason.
Speaker 7: It's not you know, it doesn't matter where she goes, she's going to win. And you know, she had a lot of unlucky years in Lake in La. You know, the management there was really messed up. So I feel like I wanted to just put it put out you know. I really just objectively looked at her story. Put it out there, and you can and you did, and you did.
Speaker 5: Joy.
Speaker 4: I was speaking of Joey Jacobe.
Speaker 6: She's the director of the new docu FHM, a biopic of Candice Parker Unapologetic ESPN Films. The word that keeps coming up over and over is underrated and underappreciating, you know.
Speaker 4: And I never I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 6: I remember I saw it live when Candice Parker won that slam dunk contest against Jails were there, I saw it, you know. So that's how And I remember I met her in the spring and I brought that up to her, about the impact of that dunk. But I and so and I realized that, you know, and she told me her father said, You're more than that dunk, you know, and not not base your career on that dunk. When I spoke to her, and because I asked her that question in front of the room full of she was a panelist along with La Rams coach Sean McVay and so. But the thing that comes across to me when I look at the word undappreciated and underrated is that Candice Parker is absolutely beautiful, And I'm wondering has that been something that's been used against her?
Speaker 4: Because she's so attractive?
Speaker 6: If she wasn't to me, if she wasn't an athlete, she could probably be a model. Could that have you know, she's a cute girl. She doesn't work hard, things get her way, you know, could that have hurt her in her athletic world, that she's just attractive woman that really doesn't put in the work and probably just gets handed things.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts.
Speaker 7: I think that there has been animosity towards her by her peers because of the way she looks, because of her appearance. Thoughts that she was getting endorsements or she's getting marketing pushes because of her looks versus other athletes.
Speaker 1: You know, she.
Speaker 7: Also is a person who is very much committed to her work and her family. So she's not out there in the streets hanging with her teammates all the time, like she's not that person. So she's a very private person who spends a lot of time with her family or doing or on the court and training and getting her body and being ready for the game and now broadcasting and the other things that she's doing.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean she's about her business.
Speaker 7: So I definitely think that between her appearance and the perceptions that come with that, coupled with the fact that she's really a focused competitor, probably made her peers have a lot.
Speaker 5: Of animosity towards her.
Speaker 7: And we saw that in the twenty nineteen pool that came out, which we talk about in the film, where they said she was the most underrated.
Speaker 6: You overrated word overrated came in, you know, like I said, you know, we say unapologetic, but this could have been overrated.
Speaker 4: It could have been underappreciated. It could have been underrated.
Speaker 6: Because a lot of titles could have been tied to her name. But you know the one that comes up. I've appreciated her talent. I've appreciated what she's brought to the table. I appreciate the skill set that I see with her on T and T during the March Madness. I mean, she's you know, these are just things I see as a person who goes She's brilliant, she has a sense of humor, and I can tell she does her hard work hard the hard work that needs to be put in place. Because she's a female person reporting on male sports, that's when you got to have your act together. But the commentary that she provides is I always tell people like I represent Steven A. Smith, and I always tell him when people I'm a sports junkie, I said, when somebody tells me something that I go wow, I never would have thought of that. That means that a person has a special gift of talent, and she's one of those people. Now along the way, you know, you know, her brother got drafted in the NBA as the first round pick, and so so athleticism drove that family. And she was the youngest in the family, so she basically was treated like one of the boys, which drove her competitively. But if you look back when I first see her, and there wasn't mentioned in this docuseries, I just think of Cheryl Miller, you know who I you know, she's tall like her, she's kin complexion like her, she's attractive like her. And I didn't hear Cheryl Miller name mentioned in the documentary. Was that intentional or that would have strayed in a different direction for the documentary, if we'd have brought Cheryl Miller toned into this documentary.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't.
Speaker 7: I feel like we were really trying to get there were so only so many minutes, and I definitely know that Cheryl Miller is somebody that Candice looks up to, but there is I think really just keeping it to time made things like that have to.
Speaker 5: Go at times.
Speaker 7: Like I remember, we had you know, more about Lisa and her relationship.
Speaker 5: You know, they were very close and she looked up to.
Speaker 7: Her very much and you know as a mother in the NBA as well WNBA. So there were just unfortunately, you know, some of those other stories. I wish we could go further and more in depth on some of the pioneers that she looks up to and that that she really respects the game of because she's a she's someone who studies and she she came up in you know, nineteen ninety six, she's ten years old or something, and you know that's when the WNBA was created, So that was like she finally saw that basketball could become a career. Like that's that moment for her. So she definitely, you know, was a fan of Cheryl Miller. I also think, you know when you say, you know, this is a masterclass and you mentioned her parents, right, that was part of probably for me, one of the best things about the interviews and making this film was talking to her parents and learning from her parents because these are these are these are these are amazing parents who who got two of their kids into professional sports. Another kid is a doctor and went to the best university he went to, you know, went to the top university in the country for medical school.
Speaker 5: These are really exceptional kids. How do you how do your kids turn out like this?
Speaker 7: You know, I wanted to know as a mom also like what are the things that you do to drive your child? And so it was also a master lesson in learning from both Larry and Sarah Parker about how you know, it's it's not about coddling your kids. It's not about you know, treating them like they're like just because they had a dunk that they're that they're you know, so important. No, it's really about lifeline lessons and showing them how things are hard and to keep working at it until you become the best.
Speaker 5: So that's that's where all that comes from.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's really important that I asked these questions because of the fact that first I'm curious and I'm a basketball junkie and I'm a w NBA fan or a fan of women's basketball, and then she had her The father of their child, well, I think he was the number fourth pick in the NBA draft, Williams. He went to college great basketball players. She was a great black so number one pick in the w NBA draft. Their daughter does she ever? Does she ever considered sports? What was the whole approach to her? What does she what is her love?
Speaker 8: You are now tuned into the money making conversations Minute of Inspiration with Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 6: Nephew Tommy aka Thomas Miles. Career includes morning radio, television, film prankphone Call, Soul Dot, comedy tours, and hosting owns popular relationship show Ready to Love. But he tells me about how not becoming a track star did not disappoint his dad.
Speaker 9: I did track all through high school, and I also did drama all through high school, and I chose the drama scholarship, and I actually thought that I disappointed him. And I'm getting ready to go off to college and that's when he's standing there saying you know, you got my dream. I was like, what are you talking about? He said, you got my dream. I said, no, I'm not. I'm not running track, Pops. I'm gonna pursue the steer the thing. He said, yeah, you got my dream. And that's when he tells me that he was a theater major at Texas Southern University and he had to drop out of school because, yeah, to help his mother and his father help raise his siblings, because my dad was the oldest.
Speaker 6: If you want to hear the full interview with nephew Tommy, this is money Making Conversation dot com.
Speaker 1: Keep Winning programming.
Speaker 3: It's made possible and part by supports from thirty eight to fifteen Media, led by Emmy and n Double ACP Image Award winning television producer Rashaun McDonald. Thirty eight to fifteen Media offers social media management, podcast production, designs logos, and develops websites. Additional services include brand management and career development consulting services. More information is available at info at thirty eight fifteen Media dot com.
Speaker 1: Keep Winning.
Speaker 8: Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Moneymaking Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 5: She's an athlete. Leyla's very tall.
Speaker 7: She's about six foot now at this point and thirteen years old. And yeah, I mean she plays so she plays volleyball competitive fleet and she played soccer.
Speaker 5: And she.
Speaker 7: Has recent you know, she started to really come into basketball. I think she was avoiding it at first because her father is also from the NBA, Sheldon Williams, So you know, it was there's a lot of pressure there.
Speaker 5: But she actually really loves the sports.
Speaker 7: So you do get to see Layla and Candace and even an your Candace's wife on the court.
Speaker 6: Now you know Joey. Now you know Joey. They wasn't the same skill set. I saw the doc. Now you know she she I'm glad you said she's thirteen because she's tall. She looked like she's about sixteen seventeen, So she has a number of years to develop those skills.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: That's why I asked, you know, from the standpoint, did she wanted to pursue but volleyball?
Speaker 4: I could see her doing that easily.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, but her father being an incredible athlete and performed at a high level in a college.
Speaker 4: That would be pressure because at number.
Speaker 6: Four picked in the draft, you know what I'm saying, and then her mom being the number one pick in the draft, because it just becomes a docuseries about family, and that's what I thought that stood out the most. Her family, her finding out how who she really was, her destiny as being a person who wanted to come out and say I'm gay. I wanted to pursue this lifestyle. The facts being put out there. One in five women in the WNBA are gay, and she felt that that was important.
Speaker 4: And she also mentioned the fact that.
Speaker 6: Oftentimes in social media she's under attack whether and that's that's not fair, but she still has to deal with that. She has the courage to live with that. Explain to us her role and plan that out. She mentions about it, talks or talks about it in the film, but talk about your perspective and building those moments to make sure we got the message correctly.
Speaker 5: About her coming out specifically.
Speaker 7: Yes, ma'am, yeah, I mean I think that for Candace, you know, you use those words at the beginning, all these expectations, you know, all these things, and there was an expectation for this beautiful woman who was married to man to be a straight woman. And I think that weighed on her, that that expectation, and you know, I think that's why it took her so long to to to publicly say that her and Anya were together. So really, for her, it wasn't about, you know, this big to do coming out thing. She didn't want that. She really just wanted to be honest about who she you know, about who she is, So she didn't she really didn't make a huge deal of it. She put out an Instagram post. I happened to be there that day picking her up from the airport. It was her anniversary, and it was her anniversary, and she was like, you know, I'm tired of this. My wife is pregnant, and she's she's it's it's becoming obvious that she's and you know, people who know Candice and who are close to her, you know, we're at the wedding and and would see you know, their family together. And but it was really about this public moment because she as she's bringing a life into the world, she's having a son with her wife, rightfully, so she felt she wanted to celebrate it. I think really that's what was behind her finally, you know, doing that Instagram post was just that she wanted to be able to celebrate this momentous, beautiful moment.
Speaker 4: I'm grateful to.
Speaker 5: Have been there.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, like when you do projects like this, you know, fortunate to work on docuseries and when people allow you to tell their personal story. That's this is a very intimate story that you are breaking down to us. You know, from the beginning, middle of the end, when we look at all the injuries this she has ended, is she afraid when she gets in the fifties and sixties of how she.
Speaker 4: Would be able to deal with those injuries? Joey, yes.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know you've spoken to how many you've talked to retired athletes. You know she has too, and that is one of her greatest fears is that she's not going to be able to be on the court with her son. You know, she wants to be able to play some play and pick up with him, like she wants to be able to walk, and that we know is a difficult difficulty for a lot of retired players, and that's for the men's side.
Speaker 5: You see she talks to a lot of the men.
Speaker 7: But think about what women are going through when they've been working. They played a lot more than the men. They played all through college, they played basically year.
Speaker 5: Round for ten years of their career.
Speaker 7: She's just started to It was just in the last four years when she started doing Turner and doing broadcasting that she's been able to step away from play saying year year round. So she's very worried about that. But the thing about Candace is she does a lot of you know, a lot of work to.
Speaker 5: Deal with that.
Speaker 7: And so we see her with her trainers, We see her in the cold baths, you know, we see her doing the acupuncture.
Speaker 5: She takes all of the precautions.
Speaker 7: She's an amazing athlete that treats her body incredibly and knows how to deal with her body, and she takes care of herself. So that's how she's able to do this. And so she's trying her best to do this in a smart way. She's not going to push it to the end. She's not gonna push it to the wheels fall off. And she also won't play if her body is not one hundred percent because she won't cheat the sport. She cares too much about the sport of basketball to ever play without being at her best.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I'm having a sound issue here. I'm gonna just.
Speaker 8: Is that you, Joey?
Speaker 4: Is that you? I'm sorry?
Speaker 5: Could you just give me one second?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Absolutely one second?
Speaker 8: Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 5: Sorry? My housekeeper was working, she.
Speaker 4: Was doing her job job. You know that.
Speaker 6: That allows me to transition to dramatic moments in the Candice Parker Apologetic film. You know, the knee injury in high school. That was a dramatic moment. The uh passing of Pat Summit was played out in the documentary.
Speaker 4: That was a dramatic moment.
Speaker 6: Another dramatic moment that angered me what I felt and I knew what was happening because I was in l at the time.
Speaker 4: The treatment of her by Derek Fisher.
Speaker 6: Her takeaway from that, I think she's still mad at him because it was uncalled for and it made her look bad. Because that's the things, like I said, she's been fighting for her whole life. Give us some insight. A lot of it's played out into the film. Is fantastic moment of being able to cover emotions and back it up with facts, tell us about how you was, how you pulled that together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know there.
Speaker 7: Was there definitely still you know, a lot of motion tied to that. Those years, those later years at the at the Sparks were hard for her, really hard for her. And and and then you know, when I interviewed some of the journalists that were covering that period, like Jamel Hill and also Ramota Sharborne, they also could have attested to that and then and to the treatment sort of that they were seeing from within the organization to someone who was their star. And it was really a double standard if you think about it, because would you ever imagine them treating Lebron like that or you know, like the person who is the star of your team that you know, you're headliner and you you're devaluing them.
Speaker 5: I mean there were other things too.
Speaker 6: I mean there was time well look look James Harden, he can get up and say I want to get traded. He got he said, I want out of Houston, didn't show up. I went out at Brooklyn, didn't show up. I want out of Philly, didn't show up. Now you're over there.
Speaker 4: Messing up the Clippers tape. So you're absolutely right, there's a double standard.
Speaker 6: This man has proven he's done no championships because every time he's mad or don't like.
Speaker 4: Something, he's out.
Speaker 6: Here's the person who's won three championship And at the time I had won one championship and delivered.
Speaker 5: To the multiple time.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, And I was like, you know, it was really interesting because of the fact that when you are see people because you're helpless, because you at the mercy of individuals, you have to nursey of perception. You had the mercy steal. She still is attracted person and people being stereo landing stereotypes on her about what they think she are she is and she heard again and all these things that she has to deal with as a star talent she's been dealing with all her life. But when I look at the documentary, the year that stood out as probably her year that she just will remember for the rest of her life is twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, twenty sixteen was not a very good year for Kansas. Parker talk to us about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it was a lot, it was, you know, I think the biggest it started off really really bad with the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Right, she is a.
Speaker 7: Two time gold medalist, and you know, she's asked to go to a camp, asked to go away from her family, work in this camp, prove herself.
Speaker 5: She's being told that she's doing amazing.
Speaker 7: She's killing it out there as one of the best players in a field of great players. I mean, America has the greatest women basketball players in the world.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: We do and.
Speaker 7: They and but and Candases is one of the best, right And so what you see there is this coach who happens to be from the rival school college school that she went. You know, went to Genoriyama from Connecticut as the coach of the US Olympic team, but he was also the coach of the of the Connecticut team where Diana went, where Sue went. A lot of great athletes.
Speaker 6: Three other and three other people who made their liberty. It was five of them, totally correct. And Gina also quote unquote was not a fan of Pat Summit. Let's go and be real that Pat Summitt was his ribe at the University of Tennessee.
Speaker 4: So that moment right there, you know, the.
Speaker 6: Other down moment was of course Pat Summit, Yeah, lost her life in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: You know, but she did.
Speaker 6: The positive moment was she did win her second I mean when she did win a WNBA championship in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 7: And I think that was fueled by the fire, you know that she had in her after losing Pat you know, coming Like the thing about Candace is whenever there's you know, things that are bad or think she's down, that actually she uses it.
Speaker 5: And I find this with a lot of great athletes.
Speaker 7: She uses it and you know, very successful people in general, is that she uses it to motivate herself and she she channels that energy and that sadness, the grief. Her marriage was also, you know, breaking up at that time.
Speaker 5: She was separating in twenty six.
Speaker 4: With Sheldon Williams.
Speaker 7: Yeah, with Sheldon, and so I mean it was a lot for her that year and she had something to prove and she you know, she brought home the championship finally to the Lakers, I mean to the Sparks, the La Sparks.
Speaker 5: And yeah, it was it was a very dramatic year.
Speaker 7: So I hope I really wanted to make sure that that felt impactful for the audience.
Speaker 4: Very impactful.
Speaker 6: Joey a tremendous job, you know, I'm just I'm just enjoying the moment. I watched the film on the day of the day of the interview, so this is all fresh in my mind. But like I said, in twenty sixteen, she won for the la' Sparks and she got traded to her hometown Chicago, where she won her second championship, and this past year in twenty twenty three, unfortunately she was hurt at the time, but she did win her third championship with the Aces of Las Vegas, which is one of my favorite teams.
Speaker 4: By the way, leave me I'm a waa paint.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love it.
Speaker 6: Miss Wilson is a star and Miss Plum, I just love them all. And Ms Gray, who was a teammate with her. You with the Sparks again, you kind of like it. It was a memory lane. I don't know who's gonna interview you from these moment on interviews have I like to believe they can never be as detailed as much fun as I am. Joey, thank you for coming on my show, Money Making Conversation Masterclass.
Speaker 4: I will definitely promote this.
Speaker 6: Candice Parker Apologetic esp film directed by Joey Jacob.
Speaker 5: It's November twelve.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much, thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com.
Speaker 8: And always remember to lead with your gifts.
Speaker 9: Instant the Testing, respect and bacon put ast