Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Gift the charge Podcasters anybody the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always. Hopefully you guys had a great holiday weekend. I sure did, and I'm happy to join by my guy Tyler. As always, Tyler, what'sum and how are you doing today? Great man?
Speaker 2: I am full of Christmas cheer. The house is a complete mess, and there's leftovers in the fridge.
Speaker 1: All's good man, Yeah, the leftovers. I'm excited to jump on those later today. So we're recording this on Tuesday. We have a great show planning for you guys today. As always, we're joined by a very special guest, mister Tej Seth, who's one of the best in the business in the analytical world. We wanted to get his thoughts on the Chargers GM search and we greatly appreciate his thoughts there. And then Tyler and I will jump back afterwards and we'll have some thoughts on the Chargers and Bills game that unfolded last Saturday. Was a very entertaining game, and we have some thoughts that we wanted to dive into. So before we get to both of those first and foremost. Tyler and I are fans of the team. We've been given this platform by the charters, but we are not Chargers employees, and the opinions that we share on this show and every week on the show are ours and ours alone. That being said, let's get into this interview with mister Teeth. All right, guys, welcome back to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast. We have a very special guest to join us now, and that is mister Tage Seth. He is one of the best analytics follows in the game if you are into that aspect of things. He does data science for Sumer Sports currently PFF formerly and you might recognize his co host as well, Sean Saide has been on the show previously of stats and scheme. So we're very excited to have Taj on the show today to discuss the Chargers general manager search. This is obviously a just as important, if not more important search than the head coaching position, and Tej is one of the best in the business to discuss those things with, so we're really happy to have Tejon tag. How you doing today?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. I've been a fan of you guys content for a long time. You know, I'm obviously really close with Argent menon who you guys do a lot of stuff with and you know, watched a lot of your shows.
Speaker 3: So I'm really excited to be here today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited about you as well. Absolutely, So there's we want to kind of you know, start from a broader sense here and then we'll discuss some individual names. But when it comes to the GM search, there's a lot of obviously front office personnel positions that the Chargers can pull from, and we kind of wanted to discuss the the different varieties here here. You know, Jojo Wooden is the interim Chargers GM and he used to work on the pro personnel side. There's obviously director of Scouting, there's assistant managers. We wanted to get your thoughts here on if there is a quote unquote best background for a GM. You know, Tom Seleski comes from scouting more so that regard in your opinion, is there a person or GM around the league where that's kind of the pillar where we can look at a GM candidate and say, okay, he comes from this background, that's the best background that the charger should be looking for.
Speaker 4: I think that's a great question, and you're probably gonna hear me say this a lot of times throughout this show. But I'm in the mindset of when you are drafting players. I think there's a lot of randomness involved in the actual draft itself and whether those players pan out. But I think from a team building standpoint and what you put emphasis is on is really what you can control the.
Speaker 3: Most as a general manager.
Speaker 4: So when I look around the league at different backgrounds, I'm more keen to the football administration side of things more so than the scouting side of things. And when I look at some of my favorite general managers in the league, like Howie Roseman and Andrew Berry, they were both the vice president of football operations before they made the jump to becoming general manager of both the Eagles and the Browns respectively. Andrew Berry was actually the VP of football operations at the Eagles before jumping to the Browns, and you know, Howie Roseman was that job previously before he became the general manager at the Eagles. So I think I really like that type of job where you have your hands in a lot of things, whether it's salary cap, whether it's free agent signings, and I think that's really good experience for when you become a general manager of an NFL team.
Speaker 2: That's a great answer, and so thank you so much for providing that particular response, because I'm looking through all the different kinds of GM candidates and I honest can barely tell the difference between some of these names. You're a VP, you're a senior executive, you're the president of this or that. Very difficult to figure out, you know, who's what? Who does what? Looking forward to the charges now, because obviously the charges are looking for a new GM, what should the charges be looking for? So Ian Rappaport came out and said, the charges are looking for a forward thinking and creative GM. What do we think forward thinking and creative GM even means? And what do you believe the charges would be looking for outside of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean forward thinking, creative.
Speaker 4: I think zoo is something that you know can benefit you in a lot of areas of life.
Speaker 3: And you know, it is nice to see that at least.
Speaker 4: That they have some sort of guidelines when it comes to a GM. And again it goes back to what we just talked about earlier, where it's you have to have this clear understanding of what it takes to build a sustainable winner in the NFL right now, and I think a lot of that goes back to an emphasis on premium positions, so understanding that after quarterback where you want to allocate your resources. Oftentimes that is things or positions that involved passing games. So you're thinking wide receiver, offensive tackle, edge rusher, and cornerback are the positions that you want your GM to have in emphasis on I think there's a pretty famous interview question that gets thrown around about if you had one hundred points, how would you allocate.
Speaker 3: Those resources across every position?
Speaker 4: And so I think that is something that hopefully the Chargers are asking some variation of in their interviews because positional value is so important.
Speaker 3: Something also that I think that the.
Speaker 4: Chargers should be thinking about is someone who has the ability to manage the salary cap.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: When you look at where the Chargers are and all the tweets about the Chargers' salary cap situation going into next season, they are you having some cleanup to do in regards to the salary cap between Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa and Mike Williams's contracts all being pretty heavy cap hits over thirty million dollars according to over the Cap. So someone that has a general understanding of the way that you can manipulate money in the salary cap with void years and converting P five to signing bonus and different stuff like that, I think can be really useful to them. And then they also should figure out if they want a GM that optimizes for season by season or long term. And I think that you see these two different approaches in the NFL a lot. You think about the Rams and the Buccaneers and what they did pushing money into particular seasons to increase their chance of winning the Super Bowl and how that paid off, or you think about an organization like the Packers, where they've had fourteen of the last fifteen seasons go over seven wins, and if you want to build a sustainable winner year over year. I'm not saying there's a particularly better approach, but I think that the Chargers should find that out when they're doing these interviews.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great point because there's a lot of people on Chargers fandom on the media talking about the Chargers that are almost kind of split. A lot of people will present this idea that they should you blow this thing up and reset it around Justin Herbert and Rashaun Slater and Derwin James, there are other people who say that they should, you know, tried and salvage as much as they can in terms of maybe you extend Keenan Allen, extend Khalil Mack and kind of try and keep some of this core together here. In your opinion, what would be I guess, the more sound approach in that regard of trying to completely reset this roster and build towards the future, or like, let's try and keep some of the bones here intact.
Speaker 4: That's a great question, and you know, I think it's really going to come down to what type of head coach you end up hiring for you know, this to really bear out, But I think personally the Chargers should look to really increase the amount of young players they have contributing on the roster. When you look at Khalil Mack at age thirty three and Mike Williams of age thirty Corey Linsley, age thirty three, like, I think you want to start turning over some of those stones in that sense and building out this roster because you can keep this core of young players that you already have like Rashaan Slater, Justin Herbert and Dorian James who are all twenty eight and younger right now, and really build around them, and it usually happens quicker than you think. You look at a team like the Texans this year, where they took that approach.
Speaker 3: They wanted to put CJ. Shadd and Will Anderson into the roster.
Speaker 4: And hitting on both of those picks and decisions ended up leapfrogging them from you know, top five pick to fringe playoff contender. And so I think the Chargers could go through a similar rebuild like that and then the year after that would be putting together more pieces to take you from fringe playoff contender to someone who competes for, you know, a division championship, a super Bowl like different stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love that. What do you think would be more beneficial in terms of background for a candidate would be either they've grown up in basically the same system and received promotions internally throughout the course of a decade or two, or someone who's been with two d different teams and grown up with each and had different roles and succeeded, but they haven't stayed with the one team over the course of let's say two decades.
Speaker 4: I really like that question, and I think it goes back to some of the studies that have been done on big fish and little pond versus little fish.
Speaker 3: And big pond.
Speaker 4: And when you when you look at these types of people and in any industry, but especially football, where they're getting this diversity of experience working for multiple teams like you mentioned Tyler, where they're able to do a lot of different stuff for a lot of different teams and see how different organizations are run. That's always the side that I usually fall on from an experience standpoint, because I think that it's it's really good to get these these multiple experiences across the board, And for the Chargers in particular, I think that something that you know they could be looking for when they're looking at these GM candidates is what are these candidates done with teams that have had a high paid quarterback and have been able to make a winner out of that. So when you look at teams like that to the Cowboys with how they've paid Dak Prescott these couple of years, and how they've been able to draft and make trades and sign free agents to still build a winner around a high paid quarterback. The Browns, I think, with the Deshaun Watson contract, even though that particular aspect hasn't worked out for them, they've still been able to build a good roster around Deshaun Watson. And I also think the Lions are included in that, paying Jared Goff, you know, around thirty three million a year, but still able to build the winner through the draft. You could even include the Chiefs and Bills if you want, in that. But I think that's more of their quarterbacks just being very very good, which I think Justin Herbert is also. But I think that's something that the Chargers should look at, is these high paid quarterback teams and how well they've done building rosters around that.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's a great point, especially because you know, Justin Herbert's rookie contract is essentially over at this point, you know, moving forward. So contributing an interesting one there. Let's get into some specifics here and we'll ask you about some of your favorites. But the most common name that we hear and see on Chargers fandom is Adams, the assistant general manager of the San Francisco forty nine Ers, unfortunately had a pretty brutal loss on Christmas Night the other night. But what do you make of his candiscy? It seems like he's kind of the most popular name out there among any team who's really looking for a GM. What do you like about his candiscy and do you think ultimately he does become available in this cycle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think that is a great name to throw around, just because of the way that the forty nine ers have built their roster where they have a pretty clear understanding of so many the things that we've mentioned already on this show with in regards to positional value and salary cap and just all the talent that they've amassed on this roster as a whole. And when you look at how the forty nine ers organization has done from both a coaching standpoint and a front office standpoint, when people from their nucleus go off and do really well at other organizations, I think that should make you feel pretty coffe it in someone like Adam Peters or someone from that organization in a sense where they seem to be giving their employees not only experience working for the team, but also experience on if they ended up getting a promotion, what that would end up looking like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the forty nine ers are so impressive, and Steven and I talked about this on our most recent show. Regardless of whether the draft pick hits or not, or you trade all your picks for Trey Lance, the forty nine ers just keep rolling. They just keep whether it's coaching, front office, etc. Players, personnel, they just keep going. So it's an impressive candidate for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Tay, do you have let's start with this one. Do you have a rising star that should be on the radar or somebody that's kind of maybe lurking in the back that could make themselves a very interesting candidate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have a couple of candidates that come to mind when you mentioned that. The first would be Alec Hallaby from the Eagles. He's the assistant GM there right now. And I think again, like when you look at what the have done, you know, it's very hard to build a Super Bowl contender once and they've done it twice now with Doug Peterson. Carson Wentz is the head coach quarterback combination, and then Nick Sirianni Jalen Hurts is the second quarterback head coach combination where they've been able to just build this roster, these rosters with a lot.
Speaker 3: Of talent, So I think he's done a great job there.
Speaker 4: And then brand Tillis at the Chiefs, who I know Argent put on his GM list as well when he tweeted that out is another candidate I really like because again you look at the Chiefs and the roster that they've been able to get, especially on the defensive side of the ball with how well their defense has played this year. He's someone I think that has had a pretty big role in that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two great candidates. There plenty of really good candidates. It seems like we're all trying to pull from like the lines for examples restore that were obviously congratulations there with your fandom. Do you believe the charges came out and said that there was they didn't necessarily need to hire a GM first or a head coach first, They're going to let the process play out. Do you believe there's an advance to them going and getting a GM first. I feel like historically that is has been the case and has been the case for the Chargers, But is there an advantage there or do you think they might or they could go head coach first and it wouldn't really change much with the GM search.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a really good point to bring up.
Speaker 4: And like you mentioned, like the status quo is usually to get that GM first and to have the head coach come after. But I think I'm pretty agnostic on the order of the hiring.
Speaker 3: The main thing, and.
Speaker 4: Like this is pretty obvious, is there just really needs to be synergy between the GM and head coach. They have to be on the same page. And you know, you often see those athletic articles of you know, when people get fired of like how there wasn't you know, a connection between the GM and head coach, and you know, watching the Lions go from you know, not winning many games coming out of twenty twenty and this whole rebuilding process that they've gone through in the last three years to get to where they are now. That's been the main takeaway from this is the connection that Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell have had from a roster building standpoint. You saw that on Hard Knocks, you see that in the press conferences. So I think if the charges were to find that, they could be pretty optimistic about their future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the obviously the cool thing about the Lions there is that, you know, Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell did not know each other or at least did not have like a strong working relationship prior to you know, meeting with the Lions, and Tyler and I went through and tried to find coaches and GM pairings that could like work together. But at the end of the day, that's not a completely necessary step. You know, these guys can come in and work together. In your experience, do you feel like it is better that they don't know each other and then try and figure it out together, or do you think that it works well if they do have a previous working relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that it you know, really comes down to, you know, whether they are aligned on a lot of their philosophies, and you know, off you're going to have a higher chance of that happening if they had worked together at the same organization, because they'll carry over those philosophies. But like you mentioned with Homes and Campbell, like it really can just come together where it's the owner or the search team that's conducting these these interviews and these searches for both GM and head coach that have that knowledge in mind when they're both interviewing head coaches and gms.
Speaker 3: And as long as they know that.
Speaker 4: Oh, if we hire these two people, they will have this this shared connection over you know, their love of whatever it is like it, you know, whether it's you know, building the trenches first or going all in on skill positions like different stuff like that. I think as long as someone is taking that into account, it should work out pretty nicely.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know the answer to this, but how do you believe or how have you heard that the discussions of who gets final say, between head coach and GM or both is worked out? And then do you believe that the Chargers coaching or excuse me, the Chargers openings, Maybe the GM one would be less attractive if they had a head coach who did have fun I'll say, would some of these better GM candidates go? And never mind, I'd like to make my own calls, not the final say.
Speaker 3: There, Yeah, I mean, that's that's a really good question.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think an underrated aspect of discourse about team building is owner involvement. Like I think for some organizations, owners make a lot of decisions that we don't end up hearing about because of, you know, some of the control that they have in those sense of things. But yeah, I mean, I think it really comes down to experience level. Right when you have a first time head coach, they are less likely to be calling a lot of the shots in regards to team building over the GM. When you have a head coach who has been coaching for for twenty years and you know someone like you know, Sean Payton who going to the Broncos, Bill Belichick, you know who might be available here, and I'm sure you guys have talked about like I think, I think they will have more say in the team building because they've been around being a head coach and someone who has developed talent and scouted talent for so long, and they will always have more of a final saying that, just.
Speaker 2: Quick question there, jumping in on that is it? I don't know if a knock is the right way to say it, but would I how much stocks should I put into someone like let's say Will McLay possible GM candidate from the Cowboys when he does I've owner over a site like that, Like it's very always that Jerry Jones, that Jones family is very involved. How do I weigh that when evaluating a candidate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think that it's really hard to separate, you know, what the specific person does for the organization and then the entanglement of the organization around it, like you mentioned with Will McClay and Jerry Jones. But I think that you can really just look at what the Cowboys in particular were drafting like before McLay and what they drafted after. Again, it's like an emphasis on these really talented premium position players that the Cowboys have done these past couple of years with Michael Parson and Ceedee Lamb and Tyler Smith and all the resources that they put into those first round picks. And I think that mcclay's impact has been felt because of the Cowboys going through a you know, rough patch in regards to their general team building as a whole, but you know, somewhat particularly in the draft, and then what the Cowboys have looked like since McLay has got in there just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great point. I mean, one of the things that ultimately I think led to the decision to move on from Tom to LESCo is the lack of success on the draft in terms of Day two and Day three players, and the Cowboys have a ton of those guys contributing right now. Obviously, you know, first comes to that first name comes to mind, there is the Ron Bland, who's been like arguably one of the best corners in the league this year. So that's been something that Tyler and I have discussed. But my last question here for you, there are two names that I am maybe more keen on than others because I think everybody's trying to find, like the GM candidates from the winning teams, and I totally understand that, but I look at like Ed Dodds and Ian Cunningham in Indianapolis and respectively, in their backgrounds and where they've come from, and to me, those those two candidates might stand out a little bit more to me than than people just trying to find, you know, let's go pluck from the latest Eagles candidate or the latest working Niners candidate. Not that that's a bad process by any means, but what can you tell us about Ed Dodds and Ian Cunningham and in their backgrounds.
Speaker 3: Ed Dodds is a great, uh, you know, candidate to pull up.
Speaker 4: He was, you know, someone who has talked about for GM jobs for a couple of years now and like his resume really speaks for himself. You know, had a decent, decently large involvement in building out the legion of Boom for Seattle, and then you look at what he's done since then and how that you know, talent often seems to follow him in different directions. And so I think that he's someone that is definitely a very viable candidate for the Chargers if he wants the job. I think that the thing about him has always been that he's pretty happy with his current state of you know, where he works and how well you know, he's compensated in the different factors in that. So I think that he is someone that, you know, it might come down to whether he actually wants the job himself, more of if the Chargers you know, or another team looking for a GM wants him.
Speaker 3: And then sorry, who was the.
Speaker 1: Other Canada Cunningham in Chicago?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so yeah, I mean Ian Cunningham. I think is someone that's really interesting as well because like I have been pretty optimistic about the Bears, you know, team building now, and I know he used to be with the Eagles, I believe beforehand. So I think I think that he's someone again that they have an understanding of when you have these resources, what is the best way to allocate the resources across the board? And the Bears have had a certain philosophy with that that's been a little bit different than the Eagles philosophy. So again entirely like you brought up earlier, like the different philosophies and getting that diversity of experience, and I think that he's someone that would really fall in that bucket.
Speaker 2: Would be remiss if I didn't at least mention Jojo wouldn't here to close things out. There's a lot to way, of course, in the situation because you know, again we're talking about rules and certain things. Tom Telesco being the general manager, how much does this person, how much is he involved in, what does he be involved in, what are the successes not successes, et cetera. Thoughts on him in general, his role and the charge of situation overall. There.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it is really interesting that Jojo Wooden was someone who was on a lot of these preseason lists for GM candidates, you know, even before the Chargers decided to fire Tom Telesco. So, you know, I think putting him in as interim GM, you're not going to learn a ton from a lot of his his you know, actual moves that he's going to make, just because it's so late in the season and you don't know exactly.
Speaker 3: What he's going to do.
Speaker 4: But like I think even just something as simple as waiving Sebastian Joseph Day as he did, shows that at least he's going to try to help this roster in this limited experience, and maybe that turns into a full time thing for him, which I think would be really exciting for him, and I know a lot of Chargers fans would like that as well. But like you know, I think the Charges, as long as they're pretty clear with him about you know, they're going to treat him like as a candidate like other candidates that the firm ends up finding for them, And I think as long as they're fair about that, he can definitely be involved in this GM search for the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, he's been a name on the radar for a few years. Brad Spielbergers has highlighted his name a couple of times. You know, he's on the pro person outside for the charters, so pretty interesting to see where his candidcy ends up there. But Ted Man, appreciate the time. This has been very insightful. Hopefully, Charger fans you go give Ted a follow on social media and then check out stats and scheme as well. You've now heard from both of the hosts on that show, and hopefully you guys have enjoyed both of their work. So tes, thanks, thanks so much for joining us. Man. We look forward to chatting down the road.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, guys.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of fun, all right, so we'll come back after the break. Hey guys. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages both an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL on location dot com or search NFL on location today your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. All right, Tyler, again, like I said, greatly appreciate Tej in his time today. Any big thoughts that break takeaway that you had from our discussion with him.
Speaker 2: I just loved the one hundred points question, and now my brain is spinning about how I would answer that and how I would completely botch it. I knew you would give ninety nine points to the offensive line and one to a tight end just to make sure we had the tight end in there, but I am curious how that question would be answered. And now it really does everything tedch talked about. I'm now adjusting or considering different changes to our GM candidate rankings, which we'll talk about on our show because of what he discussed. So great information, amazing as always.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for me, the importance of diversity of background is super important because you know, GM, it's not just like they're in charge. I mean, they are in charge of everything, right, it's ultimately their final say on the roster and everything like that. But if you are a GM Kennedy who's worked like exclusively in the pro personnel side of things, like you probably are a little limited in the draft side of things, you might be a little limited on the salary cap side of things or vice versa. So I think somebody that has that experience from a variety of backgrounds and a variety of places as well, I think is super important. And I think those are two areas where I'm going to look more into on my GM rankings personally, Like Tyler sched will dive into that on our own show, but I think that point was super important for me. It's just somebody who as an ability to come from different places, different backgrounds, and be able to have that variety of experience. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the suggestions from TEDJ there because the starting process for this for GM searches to me is, Okay, who's who's drafted well or who's got the best team? Like, okay, so who are the successful teams? Let's pull from there. But there are plenty of successful teams, So how do we now start sifting through and parsing who's kind of who, who's done what, et cetera. That'll be the fun stuff. So I'm excited to dive into that more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, So everybody got their weekend started, obviously by watching the Chargers and Bills game on Saturday on the Peacock, which was an interesting experience on Peacock. I wasn't crazy about the no commercial fourth corner personally, but it is what it is, so we'll dive into some of the game here. We did have some thoughts on our show on Saturday right afterwards. Obviously have to give a tip of the cap to Gift Smith and the way that coaching staff got this team ready. But either what was kind of your big takeaway from Saturday Night?
Speaker 2: That Cameron Dicker is an All Pro kicker, whether he is voted in or not read a point where I think we discussed it on the show as well. Cameron Dicker. There are good kickers, there are really good kickers, and then there are automatic ones. And Cameron Dicker is now in that automatic territory. And the whole operation is automatic from Josh Harrison, the snap JK Scott, and the hold Cameron Dicker and the kick is an automatic operation. Now he hasn't missed since September and he's only missed two field goals in the regular season the last two seasons. Cameron Dicker is incredible. We talked I think a week or two before the season about how my longevity in life and my health and my heart health depends tremendously on the success of the kicker. Well, I'm going to see a few more Christmases because of Cameron Dicker. He's outstanding, and he's about halfway to one hundred attempts, so it's going to take a bit to get there. Are a couple of seasons at least, but once he reaches that minimum of one hundred attempts, we can start ranking him against all the other kickers in NFL history. And if he can hover above like ninety one percent for the rest of at least for the next couple of years, he could be the most accurate kicker in NFL history through their careers, at least up through that point. If he can sustain that, we'll see. But he's at a trajectory at ninety five point seven percent, where again only two missed field goals, no missed extra points in the regular season. This dude is on his way to being one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history. And frankly, I am stoked you mentioned on Twitter no worries when he went out for the fifty three yarder. Not a single worry, and I felt the same way. Usually I'm sitting there and I'm sweating, I'm dripping sweat, and I'm wringing my hands and I'm just so worried about what's going to happen. And Cameron Dicker just now it's no problem. It is no problem. I haven't felt this way in a very long time. The Charges have had at least ten to twelve kickers since twenty sixteen trying to find the next guy. They've found their guy, and heck, Brian Ficken and the special teams are so good that they found their guy, and they gave the Browns their guy too, Like how amazing is that? Anyway, Cameron Dicker future All Pro, whether this year or the next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there was, rightfley, some skepticism about his long term candacy as a kicker. You know, he hit ninety five percent last season for the Chargers, but a lot of that was you know, fifty yards in in so there were some people pointing out, like, we need to see more a little bit here, and he's followed up with arguably the greatest kicking season in Chargers history. He right now just broke the record for most fifty yard made field goals in a Chargers season, and he's doing ninety six percent overall as a success rate, so he's improved from that ninety five percent rate while kicking from further distances, so he's having an outstanding season. He's an electric personality, obviously, as we all saw the video. You know, I asked Darius Davis on Friday about him, and the the team loves Cameron Dicker, So I think there is a fun aspect there where a lot of times a kicker can kind of be isolated just due to the nature of his position. But camer Dicker is one of the guys, you know, and I think it's just fantastic to see but on the field, man like, it's just such a calming presence about him. You know. We saw this weekend several teams punt instead of trying to kick a fifty five yard field goal, fifty six yard field goal, and I'm like, if I have Cameron Dicker on my team, I'm cool with that at any distance, at at in any arena, any stadium, because I just trust him to, you know, hit in clutch situations like that fifty three yardfield goal could have been good from sixty yards like it was right down the middle. It had plenty of distance. He's just such a joy to watch from a kicking standpoint, and he's becoming a legitimate weapon from a special team standpoint. So the pairing of him and Darius Davis in particular has been a ton of fun to watch. It's given the Chargers an edge in several games this season, and a lot of that is obviously due to the coaching and scouting from Ryan Ficken and the rest of the Special team staff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a tremendous overhaul. I don't know where they stand currently in Dvoway, but they were first. I can't imagine they're too far off at this point, regardless of the top five unit. And you can clearly see it on the field once again. Primetime Ficken shows up again. Kevin Dicker are doing very well. They're the Chargers forcing a fumble as well. More Primetime Ficken. It's a real thing apparently, and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about Primetime Herbert being a thing. Primetime Ficken is also very much a thing. So unfortunately, probo voting is ended. It has ended at the time of recording this, so hopefully Chargers fans have done enough to get those two gentlemen into the probow because they're very deserving. My biggest takeaway, We've kind of tied this in with the GM searching today, right and I want to highlight Gerald Everett and a lowhe Gillman, two guys who are free agents at the end of the season. Two guys who made big plays on Saturday and have made big plays throughout their ten year over the last two years, specifically for the Chargers, And I think part of this ties into the GM search because those two guys represent the meat of the roster, the depth of the roster. They're not the star players, but they are key starting caliber players. And maybe in a different world, Jered Everett is kind of your tight end two instead of your tight end one. Maybe a LOOKI Gillman, it's your safety three instead of your safety two. You know, maybe you can find upgrades over them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the roster. And I think both of those two players represent positions that are not premium positions, positions that are you know, teams try and cycle through and find the next upgrade positions, but both of them are players that should be resigned by whoever the GM and head coaching candidates come in. In my opinion, I think both of them have such a spark plug nature to their game. I mean, how often have we seen the Chargers offense kind of struggle a little bit. Give Jerald Everton a screen pass and he just bowldozes over two guys and then the offense gets clicking. How many times have we seen the defense just need a key stop, need a key turnover and it's a Lowhi Gillman who is the one who forces it or the one who comes up in run support and gets a key tackle for loss. It's just remarkable that the ability and consistency of those two have to just make plays and key moments. And because of that, I think like those two players should be brought back, and I think it helps the roster overall. I think it provides this you know, new trend so to speak, of keeping those guys around, which is is not really something we've seen. I mean, a Lohi Gillman would be the third day, three day two pick to get a second contract from Tom to Lesco's regime. So I think that would be cool to see. And then Jared vert On offense, has you know, developed such a strong rapport with with Justin Herbert. I would hate to lose that doesn't sound like it's a great tight end class incoming. Obviously we're on the product Bower's train, but maybe you don't even have the chance to get him right. So I just think it makes too much sense to keep those guys around. I thought both of them played awesome on Saturday. I thought both of them have had some really great moments throughout the season, and they deserve to be kept around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the next GM. One thing we talked about last week on this show that I we've been frustrated with is the lack of retention of players. And we discussed naturally, there is a lot of turnover when you have new coaches and losing seasons, and you know Cap moves this in that way Rivers contract versus a rookie contract for Herbert, But the Chargers have to do better retaining some of these players. And they also have to just make sure they find players that have like play over payment, over expected payment or whatever. I don't know, like they based on the dollar value, produce more value, thank you for what they're being paid. I don't know what these two guys are going to get in their next contracts, but I don't think it's you know, there's no twenty million dollar a year contract over here. These guys have got good contracts, and they deserve to get good contracts for their play. But these are the kinds of free agents, the kinds of players that the GM should be looking for, either to retain or to find in free agency. If the Chargers don't have a ton of money, So who can you find, like in a low gilt like the fact that he can give you a generated turnover per game. You know, yes, there's some solid safety play in there, but there's a little bit more. There's that turnover that he can generate per game where there's an interception, whether it's a force, fumble, turnover on downs, you name it, Gerald Everett, you know, good tight end will play you know well, but then there's this extra thing that he can do. And I don't want the Charges to go into this next draft and think, hey, we can just find replacements for these guys, no problem. That's kind of been their achilles. He'll anyway, there's an expectation that because they think they can draft well, and they think that we've got these picks that we can just go find these guys. Well, you can also go an entire draft in a great tight end class and not select a tight end like that can also happen to you. And I don't want the Charges to go into the next class where it sounds like it's Bowers and everybody else and not have that, you know, not have Gerald Everett. So do I expect these guys to be elite at their position. Not necessarily, I really don't. They've been really good to great players and really great in some moments in some games. But the Chargers need that, you know, the Chargers just need quality here, just nice, solid quality players. Don't let these guys go. I was on the same page as you. I was going to talk about Gilman and Everett and Cameron Dicker of course as takeaways for this. So, yeah, these three guys really deserve to be brought back.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. Cameron Dicker's contract traduition, as I think he's a restricted free agent, gives the Chargers a little bit more leeway there. But obviously Alohi, Gillan and Joe Whatevertt are unrestricted free agents, so we'll have to see that's ultimately a much more GM decision than Cameron Dicker is. So last point I wanted to touch on is the play of easton Stick. We now have the ability to obviously look at the numbers. I have not watched the film yet, obviously busy with Christmas and everything like that. But now that we've had some time to sit on it, Tyler, what did you make of of East and sixth performance on Saturday Night.
Speaker 2: I'll actually start with the offense overall. It really felt like this was an offense more tailored to suit Eastern Stick for better or worse than some situations. Third down draw play didn't work out, but getting him involved overall with his legs was great. Some of the easier stuff was there, but there was also some you know, taking chances and trying to push the ball down the field. Welcome back to Josh Palmer, you know, showing out again. I thought Eastern Stick looked much better and it looked like it's just suited him more in this game. So he was improved from the previous week for sure, and improved from the week against the Broncos. It just it looked like a better, cleaner operation overall, and for the Chargers to even be even remotely close to in this game. One speaks to the defense, sure, but also speaks to what Eastern Stick in this offense and Austin Eckler and the offensive line and these guys were able to do. They couldn't fix everything, you know, the offense still had some of their issues. There were still the late game protection issues, Eastern Stick maybe holding onto the ball a bit too long, scrambling into a sack, that sort of thing. Like, overall, there was I think an elevation to this offense that starts with Kellen Moore and then continues and is really in big part because of Easton six improved play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought there was definitely a greater influence on from Eastern six legs and his ability to run the football. PFF had him at five design runs, one scramble for what it's worth. Was not a fan of the quarterback draw on third and long, but you know, it is what it is. But I thought overall, Easton Stick played very well. I think for me, the greater influence of his legs helped out. But also I think Eastern Stick just protected the football a lot more. You know, he had some really nice throws against the Raiders in the second half, particularly, but there were some throws that were credited as turnover worthy plays from PFF On Saturday, they had zero turnover worthy plays from Eastern six, So that was super important in that game against the buff Low Bills, who are a lot of people are back on them as like a Super Bowl contender, you know, that caliber of team. You have to protect the football, you have to you know, turn them all over on defense, and the Chargers did those two things, and Easton Stick deserves a lot of credit for that. He took a couple of sacks that I wasn't crazy about, but we have to remember that this is his first stretch of games starting in a regular season, like there's going to be some bumps. But I think you look at the improvement overall for Eastern Stick and the improvement that he's made in just the last two and a half games, and I think you can be pretty excited about his potential as a long term backup. And I think obviously we would all love to see Justin Herbert around here, but getting these kind of games out for east and Stick is so valuable from a team building perspective, and also obviously from an Eastern Stick perspective, So I think he played pretty well. He was the Charger's highest graded offensive player according to PFF. If that's something you're into. Just beating out Rashaun Slater who allowed zero pressures again, shout out back. We are back to Slater Island. Guy is finally healthy and he looks like it and he's playing like it. So but overall, I thought East and Stick played well. I've I've enjoyed watching the offense under him, you know, relatively to the scale obviously, but I'm excited to see what he can do over the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously you hope to never have answered the Ken easton Stick play in the NFL question, at least with the Charges, because you have Justin Herbert. But the silver line to this is you do get to answer that question. And while it's not perfect, he's a backup quarterback, and I think that he has performed solid given the circumstances and of course the quick turnaround of having to hello, you're the starter.
Speaker 1: Here you go.
Speaker 2: So if he can maintain this, you know, against the Broncos part two and against the Chiefs, you're feeling really good about him as a backup quarterback moving forward. This team has so many question marks at so many different positions. If you can at least like, if you can solve a problem the backup quarterback issue with Easton Stick, a guy you already have on your roster, you're feeling better about next season, Like how many questions can we answer heading into next year? Easton Stick is so far answering the call.
Speaker 1: I think you take it. Obviously, we would all love to see a full season from Justin Herbert. But I think the fact that this season is unfolded the way it did and Easton Sticking is playing in this and kind of environment can only suit him better for his career long term, because you look at these teams around the league that are trying to fight for playoff spots, and they're like, hey, like this week, we're gonna have Joshua Dobbs. This week, we're gonna have Nick Mullens this week, we're gonna have PJ. Walker. This week, we're gonna have Joe Flacco come off the street. Like these teams are trying to find if these backup quarterbacks can play, the Chargers will be able to look back at this five and a half game stretch from Easton Stick and potentially feel comfortable with any opportunity in the future where East and Stick might have to come into a game. So again, obviously we wish the season we're better, we wish the season we're healthy, justin Herbert, but Easton Stick getting this opportunity I think could be a blessing in this guise for him obviously and for the team, you know, long term, because there's really nothing at stake here, Like there's no like Eastern six losing us a game to cost us playoff seeding, Eastern six losing a game whatever. He's just able to go out there and play and not have that pressure of like we have to win this game in order to stay float in the playoffs. Obviously the team wants to win, the Eastern Stick wants to win, but there's that added pressure of meaningful playoff football games is not there. So I think it lends itself to Eastern Stick developing at a higher rate than maybe otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no pressure to have to win. There's no real cost to the playoffs, and so I do want to talk about the team for a second here, because there really was no you know, playoff reason to go out there and fight as hard as they did. They really only had each other and their new interim head coach and their new defensive coordinator, a couple of changes on the roster, and they played with a ton of pride. I was truly entertain and proud, honestly as a Chargers fan to watch the Chargers go out there and compete. They lost, Sure, that's the Buffalo Bills. They're a good team who just bludgeon the Cowboys, and they have their quarterback, they have Josh Allen, he as an MVP candidate every single year for the Chargers, and in particular the defense. To go out and fight as hard as they did was truly impressive. You know, as fans, Chargers may win, the Chargers may lose, but just feeling proud of watching your team it feels really good. Honestly, it was a very entertaining game. I thought it was not going to be an entertaining game and ended up being one that I was truly invested in because you could see these guys all just fighting for each other and that was really impressive and really speaks to the character of a lot of those guys in the locker room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think gif Smith did a wonderful job turning things around this week. You felt it during the press conferences during the week that he was going going to try to coach for these players and help these players get quality film out there and restore pride over the last three weeks. And I think he's done that. They might not win the other two games, but I think at the end of the day, the Chargers players can be proud of what they put out on tape on Saturday, and I think that trend is going to continue under Giftsmith. So it was. It was certainly a much more fun game than I was previously anticipated. I mean, the Chargers were twelve and a half thirteen point underdogs according to Vegas heading into the game, and the Bills coming off a huge win against the Dallas Cowboys, and there is that playoff hype around them again, and maybe they'll win the division in the AFC East, maybe they'll contend for a Super Bowl. All this stuff, and they still might, but you know, there's just the aspect of being a big home underdog and playing well. Then I think can let itself towards some positive momentum in sum regard. Obviously, the season has lost, the Charges were officially eliminated on Saturday, but you know, finishing these two games strong, I think can do so much for a lot of different players, a lot of different coaches, and I think, you know, it's at least enjoyable to watch again on Saturday, and it was fun to see the development of certain players. It was fun to see obviously Cameron Dicker and Jaredever and the logan gilm and all these guys play well. I'm still hoping for some of Khalil mack sacks down the road. We need to get him back on track, and the record is probably out of reach, but it's still within reach that he could lead the league in sacks, which I think would be really cool. So that's that's kind of my one remaining wish list for the Charges two seasons is to get Khalil Mack back on tap of the sack leaderboard.
Speaker 2: It's funny because at this point, you know, sacks are not the end all be all for an edge rusher. It's pressure rate, it's pressures, it's hits, et cetera. And he's getting all those pressures and doing the things that make him an elite edge rusher. But we really want those sacks man, we really need him to and of course he does, I'm sure too, at least a couple more, give me, give me a couple more. Close out the season on a high note, looking forward to those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, per all right, uh, Tyler, any final thoughts before we head out for today.
Speaker 2: I'll just end with this one, which is a kind of a bummer thing to end on. Derwin James played the fewest snaps of his NFL career in any games that he's finished. I'm just putting that in opinon that now in case we need to address this in a couple of games moving forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a lot of emphasis on him playing in the slot closer to the line of scrimmage. I think reducing the role overall for Derwin is smart coaching by Derek Ansley and Gift Smith. I was not expecting him to be basically the starting slot player, so it'll be interesting to see. Was that maybe a Stefan Diggs thing. Was that keeping him in a relative to the team that they were playing, or what is the role going forward? I think is important. But I think Derwin James in Brandon Stay's defense was playing six different positions, and it was one of the things that made him so much fun to watch last year. But I think this year was just became a little bit too much for him and for everybody else in the secondary. So I'm gonna be interested to see what Derek Ansley has in store for the final two games here all right, appreciate Tyler for joining me as always. Appreciate Ted for coming on the show. Seriously, if you guys are not following him, please go check out his work. He does a lot of great stuff on summer sports stats and scheme on his own podcast, and we greatly appreciate his time for joining us. Shout out to Greg Kim for producing the show and the Chargers for having us on the show every single week. We greatly appreciate it. Make sure subscribe comment like all that good stuff. We appreciate all of you guys in the great support. Hopefully you have a great holiday the rest of your holiday weekend, and we'll see you next time. As always, bult up