Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm John Tucker and.
Speaker 3: I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 1: Let's begin with politics and another ban for Donald Trump. Maine's secretary of state has removed the former president from the Republican primary ballot ahead of the twenty twenty four election. Details this morning from Bloomberg's Ed Baxter.
Speaker 4: Secretary of State Shedd of Bellows, is using the insurrection clause to become the first election official to take unilateral action. Bellow says insurrection for his activities in the January sixth election overturn riots. The Trump campaign says it will appeal in Former Congressman John Katko says it should go to the top.
Speaker 5: It's got to go to Supreme Court. Several states and now I had this ruined.
Speaker 6: So the Supreme Court's going to set the parameters of.
Speaker 5: What we do with situationally like this going forward.
Speaker 4: So the US Supreme Court should have a number of cases now from which to choose on the issue. At Baxter Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Radio, All right, ed, Thanks, And ahead of yesterday's decision, presidential campaign blasted main Secretary of State Shenna Bellows, colloring her hyperpartisan and a virulent leftist. Trump's campaign says it will quickly seek to appeal her decision in Maine State court.
Speaker 1: And turning down to geopolitical news, half of containerships which regularly use the Suez Canal are avoiding the route and the recent attacks by the houthy militants of the Red Sea. Data compiled by Flexport shows two hundred and ninety nine container ships have either changed course or planned to That accounts for eighteen percent of global trade. Mercury Resources CEO Anton Posner says many major firms want to know more about the US response to the attacks.
Speaker 5: We're seeing increased freight, increased insurance, a lot of uncertainty, and mixed signals from shipowners, container lines, and from governments on what's happening. To basically mitigate the risk and the threats that are out there, phonesium in the ardent groups.
Speaker 1: Mercury Resources CEO Anton Post nurses some companies are your puting off decisions until the new year, as at tax continue. The US says it's speaking with shipping firms in an attempt to ease the concerns.
Speaker 3: And Johnny also continued to follow developments in Ukraine, Russia launching deadly strikes on civilian targets in Ukrainian cities overnight. It came days after Russia reported one of its ships in Crimea was damaged by Ukrainian missile strike, with Kiev stepping up attacks against Moscow's navy, and as we enter the new year, Ukraine's pleating with foreign donors to send aid a mid uncertainty over its twenty twenty four budget and turning.
Speaker 1: Down to the markets and the final day of the twenty twenty three rally with the investors anticipating FED rate cuts in the new year. The S and P five hundred cap yesterday's session just a few points away from its all time high. This year, the S and P five hundred is up almost twenty five percent, with the MSCI All Country World Index rallying about twenty percent. Mona Mahajan, the senior investment strategist with Edward Jones, says the rallies broadened over the final bonds of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: Year really driven by that magnificent seven a large cap technology trade, and over the last few weeks we have seen a broadening of participation, whether it's value cyclical parts of the market, whether it's small and MidCap parts of market, whether it's bond markets, all of which have played some catch up in recent weeks.
Speaker 1: Mana mahajin with m Where Jones says signs of cooling inflation and anticipation of a FED pivot continued to drive the rally forward.
Speaker 3: And oversus this morning, John European stocks eking out one last gain on the final trading day of the year, but it's not all good news specifically in the UK, and Bloomberg. Stephen Carroll joins us with more from London. Good morning, Stephen, Good morning, Karen and John. Inflation has slowed sharply in the UK in recent months, but consumers are increasingly worried about the year ahead. A KPMG survey shows four and ten people are more concerned about their financial security now than they were a year ago, while data from Barcleycard indicates households are cutting back on things like clothing and eating out. All of that raising fears of a consumer that could tip the economy into session. When relative bright spot the latest house price data from nationwide showing prices fell less than two percent in twenty twenty three, defying expectations of a sharper downturn in London, Stephen Carol Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Thanks Steven and In a banner year for stocks, the Nasdaq scept for its best year since nineteen ninety nine after his seven trillion dollar search artificial intelligence mania driving the run for the tech heav engauge from Nvidia to Microsoft, the seven largest US tech stocks, the Magnificent Seven, were responsible for sixty four percent of the nanstac rally this year. The index is up over fifty percent in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: And speaking of Nvidia, John the chip making giant is selling a hobbled version of a gaming chip to its Chinese customers. Bloomberg Tech reporter Ian King says the move comes after the US government tightened restrictions on what the company can market there.
Speaker 6: Really what matters is what happens in the AI accelerator market, and Video said it's going to have new tips for that business for China to meet these new rules. We don't know when that's coming, orisindeed if that will actually come, and that will have a much more concrete impact.
Speaker 3: On revenue and bloombergsing and King says, this version of Nvidia's chip for China's market has about ten percent fewer processing cores than what it sells in other countries.
Speaker 1: And elon Musk acts formally, Twitter lost its effor in court to block at California loss seeking to control toxic posts. More from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 2: In an eight page ruling of federal judge in Sacramento rejected arguments by the company formerly known as Twitter that the measure violates the free speech rights of social media platforms. The ruling comes after Musk ignited a firestorm in November by endorsing anti Semitic posts on his platform. X Corps CEOs scrambled to contain the fallout after major advertisers like Sony, Discovery, Apple, and CBS stopped or paused spending on the site. In New York, Charlie Pellett bloom Radio.
Speaker 3: It is time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world and for that were joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris, Amy, Good Morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Karen. The Biden administration is warning Texas about its new immigration law to deal with illegal migration, Bloomberg's Nancy Lyons reports in a letter.
Speaker 9: The Justice Department reportedly says it will file a lawsuit against Texas if it implements the law that would empower state and local law enforcement officials to arrest, jail, and prosecute migrants suspected of entering the US ilegally. CBS News reports the DOJ says the law would basically criminalize actions that are already illegal at the federal level, and would undermine relations with Mexico and prevent officials from enforcing federal immigration laws. The measure is already being challenged by the American Civil Liberties Union that argues the law is unconstitutional. In Washington, Nancy lyons Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 8: More US sailors and marines are being moved into the Eastern Mediterranean. CBS for reporting the two amphibious ships carrying fifteen hundred sailors and marines, along with jet fighters, helicopters, and armored vehicles, have transited the Suez Canal from the Red Sea into the Eastern Mediterranean. This gives the US military more ability to evacuate Americans from Lebanon if necessary. Israeli officials have been increasingly vocal with their threats to clear out a buffer zone in southern Lebanon if Hesbella's shelling of northern Israel doesn't stop. President Biden meanwhile says he's devastated to learn another American was killed by AMAS. American Judy Weinstein Hagai, was killed in the October seventh Hamas incursion. Biden vowed to do everything possible to bring home the remaining hostages, including IDF soldier Aiden Alexander from New Jersey. Alexander's mother is calling for her son's return.
Speaker 10: He's my boy, and every day, every minute of the day, I'm just I'm terrified.
Speaker 8: There are now six Americans presumed captive in Gaza, and the World Health Organization says it's getting harder to deliver medical supplies and fuel to Gaza because hungry people keep stopping the convoys searching for food. Gaza's health ministry also says dozens of people were killed in strikes across the Gaza Strip yesterday, days after Israeli forces said they'd be expanding operations. The Washington Post reports the director of one hospital says Sunday's attack killed at least eighty people. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News. Now I'm Amy Morris, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 3: All right, Amy, thanks. We bring you news throughout the day right here on Bloomberg Radio. But now, as Amy's said, you can get the latest news on demand, and that means whenever you wanted, just subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines right at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. Here's Dan Schwartzman. Dan, good morning, Good morning Karen.
Speaker 10: The Cleveland Browns clinched just their second trip to the playoffs since two thousand and two with a dominating performance against the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: Joe Flacco got hit. He rolls out of the head, he runs it, then he crows it.
Speaker 10: And fort caught it head, the thirty head, the twenty head, the fifteen.
Speaker 11: Head, the ten head of five past no good head.
Speaker 6: He vaulted for.
Speaker 9: Tag jing board Hot you.
Speaker 10: That's courtesy of ESPN eight to fifty Radio in Cleveland, behind three hundred and nine passing yards and three touchdowns from Joe Flacco. The Browns improved eleven and five on the season with a thirty seven to twenty win over the Jets. Jerome Ford catching two touchdown passes while David and Joe who gains one hundred and thirty four yards on six catches. Jets fall to six and ten on the season. Week seventeen of the NFL season continuing Saturday with the Marquee matchup in Dallas as the ten and five Cowboys are hosting the eleven and four Detroit Lions. Speaking of Detroit, the Pistons were oh so close to ending their twenty seven game losing streak as they led the Boston Celtics by nineteen points at halftime and at one point by twenty one points before collapsing and losing in overtime one twenty eight to one twenty two. By dropping their twenty eighth consecutive game, the Pistons time the Philadelphia seventy six ers for the longest losing streak of all time, which Philly accomplished between the end of the twenty fourteen twenty fifteen season and the start of the next year. Elsewhere, Nikola Jokich turning in a perfect triple double, not missing from the field or the free throw line in the Nuggets one forty two to one to five, winner of the Grizzlies. That's your Bloomberg Sports update on the ent shportsman.
Speaker 12: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak and good morning. I'm John Tuckery. You did hear. Among our top stories mains Secretary of State rule that Donald Trump cannot run in the state's Republican primaries, citing his efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election results. Let's take a deeper dive into the story this morning. We're joined now by Terry Haynes of Pangea Policy. Always a pleasure to speak to you, Terry. Certainly it's not going to be the last word, and it sets up for what one observer calls an epic constitutional showdown. What is your view?
Speaker 11: My view, firstly is discount anytime anybody says things like epic. But secondly, John, I think what you have to understand is what listeners have to understand is a little bit of perspective here Colorado. This Colorado Supreme Court, by a four to three decision, made its determination, but its Secretary of State has already said that Trump's going to be on the primary ballot, you know, abbs in some sort of additional action.
Speaker 12: So if that.
Speaker 11: Doesn't confuse things enough. Secondly, what you've got from the main Secretary of State yesterday is kind of an executative version of what the Colorado Supreme Court said, deciding on our own that trum Trump was an insurrectionist, but also understanding that the thing is going to be appealed. Net I wouldn't look for any of these things to stick. The Supreme Court of the United States is almost certainly not going to allow states to decide how to interpret the fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution, or alone denied candidate to federal rights under the Fifth Amendment. So, you know, generally speaking, I think these things are overblown. And the last thing I will say is there's a lot of state and federal courts that have decided in ways opposite of the Colorado and main courts. People need to remember that too.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump initially ran as a disruptor, and now he seems to be running as a victim. Does this all embolden him or does it give rise to some something along the lines of Trump fatigue.
Speaker 11: You know, that's a very good question, and I think the answer probably is some of both. The conventional wisdom right now is that this emboldens and empowers him with the electorate. You can certainly see how that might be so instinctively. But at the same time, it also I think adds to the appeal of not Trump Republican candidates who say, look, if you like the conservative policies and have them during Trump's administration, we can have those back, and we can have them without the circus. We're going to find out which of those is true, or potentially whether both of them are true, starting in about three weeks in Iowa, and so you know, we will see.
Speaker 6: But the.
Speaker 11: Attains me not to make a call on that, but I mean, truly we will see. I'm not going to be the expert on the feelings of the Iowa electorate, but the bottom line is is that I underperformed in the Iowa caucuses is going to give rise to a narrative that Trump, it might not be as strong, and the challengers are getting stronger, and that will reinvigorate the race at it to some extent.
Speaker 1: All right, speaking of challengers, Nikki Haley also making news with what she says or doesn't say, are the causes of the Civil War, namely slavery. How does that play out in the election cycle.
Speaker 11: I think that's a blip, honestly, John. It's used by and I'm not meaning to to minimize, No, I mean to minimize what she said or how she said it. But I think it's a blip. You know, she did what she needed to do, which was she was trying to make a trying to use a kind of states rights versus federal point about the war to make a case about the tensions that exist today. It was ham fisted, and she took it back, she clarified, and I think that that goes away pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Honestly, this is kind of out of left field. Is Joe Biden going to stick with Vice President Kamala Harris as his running mate?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The Biden sees Harris whole including faults, but he would have a devil of a time taking taking her off the ticket at this point, and for that reason alone, I think he won't.
Speaker 1: Give us your view of how the election is all playing out.
Speaker 11: I will refer listeners right back to a very interesting Bloomberg story on the terminal about a Quinnipiac poll that was released on Wednesday that shows Biden and Trump basically the dead heat and the popular poll, but if you add Bob Kennedy to it, it becomes a thirty eight Biden thirty six Trump Kennedy twenty two race. And I point that out only to say that I've been saying for some time that third parties are going to be more invigorated and more important to this presidential race.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one o six one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XMVI iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: I'm John Tucker and I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg or Daybreak