Speaker 1: As a league fifteen to ten touched up.
Speaker 2: Er.
Speaker 3: What's up, guys, We are back with a week seventeen edition of Charge with Weekly as always powered by Microsoft Surface. It is always joined by Matt Muddy Smith as the Chargers head to Denver, closing the season with a pair of divisual opponents. After a really great performance, I thought, in terms of effort against the Buffalo Bills twenty four to twenty two and Bunny, it felt like a different team. I was really rooting for Gift to get his first win, and they darniar almost did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Almost a lot to kind of get into from what we saw, and I think we'll start at the very end, you know, when you talk about almost, I thought Kellen Moore drew up a heck of a play, and you know, considering how recent the passing was of Frank Whitchak, it would have been a heck of a tribute to him to get the Music City miracle rehashed against the Bills and have the Chargers do it, you know, Unfortunately for Kellen as well designed and as perfectly executed as the first part of that play was from Eckler back to Easton and then the lateral to Ericson just couldn't quite get that first block to seal that line, even though they had all the bodies over there, and Zion just kind of climbed a little bit too far, too fast, and Brendan kind of whiffed on the block and Ericson had to immediately peel off what looked to be a perfectly designed play. But I think I'll just start there, Chris. I really enjoyed the game plan that Kellen put together for this offense, and I really enjoyed seeing Cameron Dicker kick five field goals for the first time by a Charger kicker in at least ten years. So it was that type of game. The defense played great. You knew it was going to be tight. DJ kept saying, it just take him to the deep end and let's see if you can pull him under at the end and get out of here with a win. And I thought it was. You know, unfortunately, the fourth time they've not lost, you know, when having a lead in the fourth quarter, I think sixth time this year now they've lost by three or fewer points. Those are tough to swallow. But I really enjoyed the game. I did. I thought they played inspired football.
Speaker 3: And you just look at everything that they're working with. Though, justin Herbert no keenan Allen, I thought that Gift said it perfectly. He said he was expecting a heavyweight fight. He wanted to take the points at every chance he could get. And it's very smart when you have a kicker that's as good as camera dicker Man.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 3: We've seen a kicker come into the chargers as confident and as automatic as he has been money And you know, I think you talked about it the week before, just how good he's been in even in spots where you know it's fourth and three or fourth and five and you want to go for it, sometimes taking the points is the better option. And Gift kind of used that and said, hey, we're gonna take the place. We're gonna get something out of these long drives. I don't care if it's seven to three, we're gonna get points on the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, let's just go back to what we talked about three weeks ago or two two weeks, three weeks ago, and I go through the play by play and you're talking about zero's you lose on downs. You're now down seven zero after the interception that Justin threw inside his own three yard line, and you're still down seven zero. You lose a ball on downs and you're down ten to nothing and you lose a ball on downs, and it's like, that's nine points. That's nine points in a ten to nine game with two minutes left in the third quarter. Is And it just it felt like it was that kind of game against the Broncos, and you couldn't quite figure out, Okay, this isn't the Chiefs, it's not the Dolphins, it's not the Lions. Why are we chasing points? And I think you saw a gift recognize the type of game that this was gonna be. That the Bills have had a pensiant for turning the ball over quite a bit this year and losing games that a lot of people think they should not lose, but they do it because they're they're careless with the football. And I think he played you know, get that that was the script that he wrote for this game, and I thought they followed it perfectly and they darn near had it. And you know, I was doing the ballet show with lorenzo'neil and he made a perfect point. He's you know, we talked about the zero blitz that DA called. That was it was a perfect call. You know, you've got Josh Allen on the run. He's falling backwards and he heaves that ball to the right sideline, and if there's better communication between Hawkins and and Asante, they're going to switch instead of try to work through each other and bonk off each other, and one of them is going to get a pick six. But he made the point. He's like, Josh Allen's probably the only quarterback in the league that makes that throw that gets it all the way to Shakir. You know, that's just you just got Josh Allen. I mean, that's really all that happened there. It was a perfect call. They played it great, and Josh Allen just kind of got the better of him and they end up getting out with a loss instead of a win.
Speaker 3: Charge fans were hopeing she cures scored, right, you get the ball runner, and I think that that Preston really kind of ended the game in a way because the Bills had that that ample time to milk clock and kick.
Speaker 1: Their field goal and go ahead, and uh, that was I think.
Speaker 3: The difference because even gifts that four times an that's a pick six that's going the other way. But that kind of did it right, Like, had they scored Easter, the stick would have had much more time.
Speaker 2: It happened with a crack to win right right. So and this is just you know, sidebar. This is one of my problems with instant replay. You ought you can't do it that like and look, the Chargers lost didn't have that opportunity because this was a nationally televised game on NBC or Peacock and they had the ten cameras. So you get the extra cameras, you get the NBC it, you get the super slow mo. Like, to me, there should be a cap on how tight you can get how slow you know, the frames per second that you can get in there, because that's one where if it's just a regular one o'clock kick on Fox or CBS, you probably got six cameras instead of ten, and that thing stays a touchdown. And I'm not saying it like my point is, I just feel like when you're looking at this thing for five minutes and you've got to get to the ninth or tenth camera and you've got to slow it down to you know, milliseconds in order to figure out, oh yeah, look there's a couple of blades of turf touching his knee. It just kind of takes a little bit of the romance out of the game. So that's you know, it's unfortunate had had Shakir not you know, had that probably one to one hundredth of one second where his knee was in contact with the turf. We get to see Easton, who had a heck of a game, and this offense try to get back after it and score. But you know, I think the one thing, you know, when we do it half class, you know, glass half full. Now, let's go glass half empty. You know, this is something that we've seen repeatedly this season where the offense gives you a lead, all you got to do is get off the field. Get off the field, you know, get off on a third down, force a fourth down and maybe a long field goal attempt. And unfortunately it just happened again. You know where you got a busted coverage, you got someone that breaks a tackle, and you know, they end up getting the win and the Chargers find a way to lose.
Speaker 3: Chargers fans mines are everywhere at this point, right, They're they're focused on who the nex coach the general manager are going to be. And you know, you got the Broncos and Chiefs up. Are you gonna lose out and get a higher draft pick or.
Speaker 1: Do you actually want to just.
Speaker 3: Just bury the Broncos this Sunday and maybe make it miserable for the Chiefs in Week eighteen. So a lot to kind of digest just sticking with this game for a little bit.
Speaker 1: We'll start offensively.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Easton's stick in the game that he had. They only scored one touchdown in the game, but I thought Austin Eckler, they got back to just getting him the ball. Eighteen touches. He needs to have the touches for.
Speaker 1: This offense to go.
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about all the guys that he don't have, but I thought that after the second half in Vegas in just the night mirror that east and Stick had in terms of two touchdowns going the other way, he really rebounded and this is a great evaluation process for him over the next two weeks to see if east of six is.
Speaker 1: Going to be the backup quarterback here.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Gifts said it best after the game. Easton's an NFL quarterback. There's no doubt, you know, he's in good for him. You know, you never know until you get the call, and teams want to see, can we count on this guy to win us a game? Can we count on him to win us a quarter Can we maybe count on him to win us three games? And I think Easton's certainly proven that he can do that, and he's going to spend a lot of time in the NFL now what his future looks like and whether or not one of these teams that drafts a quarterback in the first round and isn't quite sure that they want to throw him out there right away, let's bring in a bridge or somebody to compete and try to take that, you know, I think I think that was a possibility for Easton this year. As a matter of fact, I know it was. I know for a fact that somebody had kind of proposed that, and he opted to stay with the Chargers for one more year, and so I'm very excited for him. I don't think there's any question that the Chruggers would love to have him back. I think it's hard to spend money in a quarterback room when you've already got a quarter of a billion dollars tied up to that position. You try to find a rookie contract to put in there, someone you can trust, you know, like we had trust in Easton. But for him, I'm just I'd like to see him get a win. I want to see him get a win on that resume when you see, you know, the GS game started zero two and zero, I'd love to see it read two and two for him. Moving forward, knock off the Broncos, knock off the Chiefs, get those wins in the division, officially eliminate the Broncos from playoff contention, you know, put an ex to their their name and the standings, and see if you can ruin the Chiefs and push them all the way down to the four spot the following week. I understand the draft pick, and I do I do sympathize, right well, I do understand. I don't want to say I empathize or sympathize with people that didn't want that, but I think this is a team that desperately needs more young ten, that needs draft picks. And if you can find yourself in the top five and you start talking about quarterbacks, you know, like Jaden Daniels and Boenix and Michael Panix obviously behind Drake May and Caleb Williams, then maybe you're talking about getting a pretty big haul, you know, with with Marvin Harrison junior up there. And so I understand that that aspect of it as well, and I don't and I and to me, that's what I would do, I think, you know, with the pick, I feel like I would I would really like to add a lot of selections because I just feel like this team needs, you know, more seconds, more thirds, more fourth rounders that are out there making an impact with the with the big cont just they need more youth. This team needs to get younger. I really believe that, and I think Chris it, you know, it may start as soon as this week where we want to see a little bit more youth out there, you know.
Speaker 3: Performing It's a big chip, right A top ten pick in this j just specifically is a big chip when you even take Drake May and Caleb Williams out of it, much of those other quarterbacks, somebody's.
Speaker 1: Gonna fall in love with one of these quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Sure, Jay Daniels is probably gonna be a top ten pick. Now you mentioned Bo Nicks in the amount of starts that he has under his belt at Oregon, that's going to be attractive to a team. So for a team like the Charger, who had no really no thought of being in the top ten this year, to be able to trade out of that and stack up on both sides of the football, especially the defensive offensive lines for Justin Herbert, I think that's great. But you know, considering too, Bunny, just the cap numbers of some of these players.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of.
Speaker 3: These guys that I could be here next year is playing a simple financial decision. Will get into the one that they made a Denver too. But quickly defensively, seeing Derwin James out there for seventy one percent of the steps, mostly in slot, what were your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I read the article that Popper had and it definitely had a negative tone to it, which which I understand. It's the fewest percentage of snaps that Derwin's played since he was drafted, saved, ejected, or injury. I think it was seventy four point six percent or something like that, and he's been at ninety five or one hundred for nearly every game. But We've talked about this this season. Just because he can do it doesn't mean he should do it. Yes he can play high, Yes he can play on the slot. Yes he can play outside corner. He can obviously he plays box safety. But I felt like Gift did exactly what we've been talking about, which is tired to see him derwin thirty yards off the line of scrimmage. That is not where he sells. I know they primarily listed him as a slot defender, you know, which he was, but I just felt like it was more a line of scrimmage defender. It was a box safety. He was playing around the ball, almost got to Josh Allen on that one blitz. He forced the incompletion because he got the pressure there, but man, he was just maybe half a hand away from swatting that ball away. And that's what I want to see more of. And that's why I said, you know, a couple of weeks ago, like I know, there are labels that you don't like necessarily attaching because the linebacker position has been so devalued, But to me, like that's where I want them. He's got the strength, he's got the pop to play linebacker. He's got the speed where he makes the middle of the field, and it continued to be an issue in that game against the Bills, where you know, our current pair of linebackers struggling coverage, you know, and I'd love to see Derwin get some snaps there. So maybe that's where they're going. So what I'm getting at, Chris is I don't see that as a negative. I see that as hey, let's get seventy four percent of snaps at one hundred percent of Derwin. Let's not get one hundred percent of snaps at seventy five percent of Drwin. Because when you're lining them up as the nickel opposite Trey Tucker and he burns you for a sixty yard touchdown, that just sucks. It sucks for Derwin. He's got no business being in that position in the first place. So I thought they deployed him in a much more efficient and effective way.
Speaker 1: Agreed.
Speaker 3: It's been a difficult season for Drwin, even dating back to last year. You know what, I go back to that really a year ago, that Indianapolis game, that that fifteen yard penalty that he got. Uh, you know, he's playing football, and it's sometimes it's it's got to be very frustrating for him because some of those fifteen yard penalties carried over into this year. And I think it, you know, I've never played safety in the NFL, right, but naturally you have to feel like, man, I have to be kind of aware of where I'm gonna hit somebody, and maybe you're thinking a little bit too much. And then you throw in the fact that he's playing a million different positions on defense. I think that this was the perfect opportunity for GIF to just say, hey, man, you're gonna do one thing.
Speaker 1: You sell donegan to take.
Speaker 3: A breath, And you know, I don't really view it as a negative either, because they are also in evaluation mode with some of these.
Speaker 1: Other younger safeties on on the field.
Speaker 3: So I think it in December, it's you don't want to read too much into it, but I know that Derwin's gonna want to be out there during the money downs, and you know, I could tell Bibe he was a little bit frustrated by it. But it is what it is at this point, and I think it's been a difficult year for Durwin, but he's still an All Pro player, and uh, wherever or whoever the defense coordinator is next year is going to have a really nice ship and it's just a matter of trying to find the perfect place for Darwin.
Speaker 2: As you said, I don't think Derwin would push back on any of that. I think he'd be varia as it has been a really rough year for him. You know, there have been some busted coverages, there have been some bad angles, there have been some mistackles, been some bad penalties. You know, it's just been a rough go. It's been a rough season. But we certainly know the talent because you see it, you see it in bursts and so you know, and look, he was tasked with so much. I think Brandon Staley had this vision for him that he could essentially be this sort of omnipresent force, you know, out on the field.
Speaker 1: You know he bought into that money, he did. He bought it instead to his credit, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: He never pushed back. But I think it goes to some of the things that we saw, you know under coach Staley, where Joey Bosa is trying to cover a tight end, leaking out of the backfield and just getting burned on the sideline and saying what are we doing? You know, and Khalil Mack five yards too wide, chipping a slot receiver before he tries to pass rush, knowing he's never going to get home. Like just some of those things were eliminated, you know, and these guys were able to just get after it last week. And if there's one thing i'd you know, I think I'd like to see different is it goes you know, it's what we keep saying. I'd just like to see some different names out there, you know. And we did, and we saw it in the defensive line, and we saw Scott Matlock out there for snaps. We saw Nick Johnson, and we saw Tito Aboni and I thought the rotation on the front was really good and they stayed fresh and they kept putting pressure on Josh. He's a tough guy to bring down. So you're not going to get the sacks, but you're going to force the dcompletions. You're going to force the short runs to check downs, and they did a lot of that. So I would just like to see it at some other positions, you know, andarticularly it goes back to I can't quite can't quite figure out why Dan Henley's not getting snaps. I just don't. I don't think that makes It doesn't make sense to me, unless again, it's something in practice, it's something that we're not privy to, which very well could be the case. You know that Kenneth Murray and Eric Kendricks just bust their tail in practice. They're really good leaders, and you want to reward them with playing time. But for me, I'd be a little bit selfish and say, I need to do this for the organization, you know, moving forward. We've got to evaluate, you know, this young talent to see if he can be our linebacker, you know, moving forward, and save us a heck of a lot of money because he's a third round pick.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting to see what happens these next two weeks, because I believe everything Gifts said in the organization said they're trying to go out and win these games like they wanted to beat Buffalo, and I don't think they're gonna pull some of these I was interested money to see what the running backs share was going to look like. Is Spiller gonna just take the lie's share? And they said, you know what, we're gonna win the game. We're gonna try to win the game, and we're gonna put the ball in Austin's hands and enough with just the three different running backs carry You know.
Speaker 2: What, though, Chris, you know what I think that is too. That's that's a veteran coach respecting a veteran player. We talked about it. So now all Austin needs is eighty yards in each of the next two games to get his million dollars. And I think that's that's a gift. That's that's how you win a locker room. Yeah, that's how you get players to respect you, to say, look, you're twenty eight going on twenty nine years old. Million dollars is a lot of money, you know, for you moving forward, kind of knowing what the landscape is for for running back contracts, let's put that. Let's put that million bucks in your pocket. You're you're probably not going to get you know, he could get four touchdowns on the next two games. I think it'd be pretty tough to get the extra six hundred grand. But I think they feel like we can get you that million dollars. We you know, we can get you to eleven twenty five and get you, you know, an extra bit of cash in your pocket. And so I think that played a big role in why Austin got all those touches, and I love it, and I think he deserves it, and I think it's great for the locker room, and it's great for camaraderie for guys who want to fight to get him those yards. You know. It's a I think I think players respect that, you know, and are going to get behind gift and get out there and try to try to help Austin get to that number. No doubt.
Speaker 3: We'll put a pin in Buffalo quick break, and then we'll talk Denver and then everything else going on in the NFL that.
Speaker 1: May relate to the Chargers in this coaching search.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, A big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot Com. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment.
Speaker 3: Appolo of the world. Ticket packages boasted a ray of offerings such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. So Monny, Big News out of Denver yesterday, taping this on a Thursday. Sean Payton putting Russell Wilson on the bench for the last two games the season. Broncos are seven and eight after listening to the Patriots pretty much put their playoff hopes on life support, and it feels like Russell's the scapegoat. Quite frankly, I know that this is a financial decision, but based on some of Sean Payton's comments, it was kind of funny to me that they put all this on Russ when there's seven and eight and I could go back through the season and see thirty five points the Commander scored on thirty one points at the Jets score autumn, seventy points at the Dolphins scored on them forty two points at the Lions scored on them and Russell. If you put russell numbers up next to Justin's, they're about to say, actually, Russell hast six more touchdowns. And I know there are different players and everything, but I just think that it's a little bit of a scapegoat situation. And I don't think Sean Bayden wanted because Russell Wilson to begin with.
Speaker 2: No. To me, it's it's identical to what happened with Derek Carr last year. I think it's exactly. You know, We're gonna try to make it work. He's not my guy. If it were up to me, he would not be here, but he is, and he's making a lot of money. So let's see if we can, you know, and he's got a pretty good resume. Let's see if we can make it work. And ultimately, when you get to the point when you're eliminated from the playoffs and you can't take the risk of that player getting hurt because then their contract's going to vest the following season, you just move on. And so you know, I look, I would love to really put them, you know, my foot on the pedal and say, asked, this is Sean Payton trying to absolve himself of any responsibility from the mess that this year happened to be. And there is part of that. I think we've seen enough from Peyton to recognize that, and then that's sort of his mo a little bit. But to me, it was a Okay, we'll try to make it work. I'm not crazy about it. That's why I want you to sign this guy for six million bucks as a backup to a quarterback that's making thirty seven million dollars. So we saw this riding on the wall that that Peyton was not sold on him. It'll be interesting. Jared had a couple of good, good starts last year for the Raiders when he did it's funny, right, So it's like the same thing for Stidham. Like you did this with Carr last year, and now you're going to do it to Wilson this year. And the guy threw for over three hundred yards per game. He can sling it around. But I'll tell you as far as what I'd like to see, yeah, I'm fine for the Chargers seeing Stidham instead of Russ. Russ extends plays very similar to what you know, the headaches that that those mobile quarterbacks give you they played pretty well against him. You know, they had that great pick, Mikey had that great pick in the first you know, on the first attempt of the game that they weren't able to cash in for any points. But it's it's still a very good defense. They've moved on from from Kareem Jackson, obviously, but you still got Justin Simmons out there. You still have Zach Allen, who's a nightmare. And this will be interesting because when we talked about what a mess it was after that game, the Chargers offensive line just couldn't pick up a blitz like they have no idea and they were standard blitzes. We were talking to Tony Biselli about it, because he came for the next game. He's like, it's the damnedest thing I've ever seen. It's just a standard slot corner blitz, nickel blitz, safety blitz, delayed blitz like there was nothing exotic about what they were doing. And this front had no idea where to go, where to shift protections. And I think he saw a little bit of it last week. And so so going back two weeks, right against the Raiders, what do we talk about with Easton great second half, some great things in there, but you can have a pick six and cough the ball up twice. And he eliminated all the turnovers, but he still took the sacks. So you want to see him now eliminate the sacks. Let's okay, you've cleaned up the turnovers. Now let's clean up the sacks. And I think on top of that, Easton will go back and watch that film against Buffalo and realize all those RPOs that Easton that Kellen was given him. Man, he needed to keep two or three of them, and those things were going for big games if he doesn't hand that ball off and he keeps it and takes it instead. So I to me, that's that's the next step for Easton in this game. Now in his third start. Okay, I've cleaned that up. I know I have to take care of the ball. Step two, let's eliminate the sacks and let's use my legs a little bit more. Let's let's get out there because it's gonna work. And Kellen's dialing up some really good calls on these RPOs and he's just got to make better decisions on a handful of those. So I know we started that by talking about Russell will and Jared Stidham, but whatever, just kind of no, it's what it is.
Speaker 3: And it's been a it hasn't been a kind place to the Chargers Denver in terms of going in there and trying to get wins. Real quick on Russ before you move on. Do you think that had they been the Patriots and gone eight and seven, did rust would be the story today?
Speaker 2: Right? I do, because there's still there was still realistically alive for the playoffs. You know, you've got a Chargers team down half their roster and now you're nine and seven and ten and seven very well could get you in. So to me, yes, I think he's still the starter. It's a seasons lost. He's not going to be back here next year. We cannot afford to get him injured, and I can give him that extra money the bunny.
Speaker 3: The only reason I keep bringing this up is I find this is very interesting as far as it relates to the Chargers moving forward and whoever the head coach is going to be. Because the broadcast have said that Russell Wilson isn't going to be at a Center next year for US. He's not going to play quarterback for us, right, is that is that's pretty much what we got from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like it was a He's not He's not a Sean Payton type of quarterback. Sean Payton is Drew Brees, Joe Lombardi, we know it. I think Joe to some degree wreck justin Herbert those couple of years and try to make him into Drew Brees. He's not, Like, that's it's not what we got here. We've got the most talented, physically talented quarterback in the league. Use it, you know, And that's just that's what those guys believe in. Snap the ball, take the ball, get rid of the ball, and let everybody else do the work. And that's what they want to do. And that's just not Russell Wilson's forte. That's not what he's best at.
Speaker 3: So this is what the division is though, right, it's it's Andy Rita Sean Payton. Right, so we know, like Hall of Fame pay coaches or Andy Reid surefire Hall of Fame hit coach Patrick Mahomes without receivers, it look a little bit different this year. Uh, the Raiders ain't O'Connell not sure, he's the answer. Didn't even attempt to pass after the first quarter of the game against the Chiefs. And then now Denver, is it Sibtle, Is it a rookie? Is it somebody you bring in via free agency? All I know is that Herbert and Mahomes still as far as the quarterback position is concerned, the class of the division, and when you bring in a let's say, you bring in an established head coach to coach this Chargers team, I just I feel like that there's more questions about the Broncos. When we thought that they were kind of turning the corner with Russ and they were gonna go on a little run, maybe make the playoffs, it looks a little bit different now, especially with the capital of implications than Russ has going befoward.
Speaker 2: Well, the one thing that the Broncos have that perhaps the Chargers doonus. They've got pretty good depth, right, so they've specifically on defense, they've got a really good secondary. Love their linebackers, you know, Browning Singleton like, they've got good they you know, their offensive line is kind of finely sort of figured it out, you know, which was a big struggle for a while. They've managed to put that together a little bit now. So I feel like they just with the coaching. Look Champaigne. As much as maybe people don't like him, he's a good coach. He's a really good coach, and I figure they'll they just need to find their guy. Like, as crazy as it sounds, you know, we've seen a bit of a decline from from Russell. You know, he doesn't quite have the explosiveness, doesn't have the quicks that he used to do. So those those runs, those extending the plays, they're not quite what they used to be. So I think they'll which what direction do they go? I don't know, you know, I'm not sure. It doesn't doesn't seem like a rookie, you know, is is going to be in range from where they're they're picking. But tough to say. You know, maybe they signed Easton Stick who knows it's you know what I mean, Like, I don't quite know, but clearly it's not Russ And they think enough of Jared's Didham to give him that amount of money. I think it was six million bucks if I remember right, I think money.
Speaker 3: I think he had like ten million for two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's a lot to back up a guy that's making forty million bucks. So maybe it is gonna be Stidham and they're just doing this two game audition. Now, look, the Raiders tried to do that and ultimately decided, no, we're gonna We're gonna move on to Garoppolo. I don't know what their cap situation is, but there are gonna be some interesting quarterbacks out there this upcoming season. Kirk Cousins is gonna be a free agent, great decision maker, very good at getting the ball out. That's a real possibility. But again, when you're gonna be carrying thirty eight million, I think it's thirty eight million next year of a cap number for for US, it's probably more likely than not. Jared Stidham and a rookie is what I would guess. Yeah, you're not gonna trade. You're not trading that contract.
Speaker 3: No, there's no chance. Kirk Couzins would be perfect. And then for Battle think they can afford it, and uh, I don't know. I'm so like the rookies, like bo Nix is the only like experienced like rookie. I think this will work with Pedix to Yeah, pedis a little ajury prone.
Speaker 1: But he's been awesome this year. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just find the division fascinating now with all the decisions that never has to make, and what are the Raikers going to do? Like they crushed the Chargers, They went into Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs and their defense was just bawling out like you have to make pierce to the head coach now, No.
Speaker 2: Please, yeah, please, that's my answer to that. Please do it please. That's Look, they're playing great, they're playing inspired football. Clearly they like playing for him. I don't think there's any I'm not taking anything away from him, but he puts sixty three up on, you know, on the Chargers, their rival on National TV knocks off the Chiefs at Arrowhead. Those are impressive. That is impressive to put on your resume. I'm not taking anything away from that, so I wouldn't. And look, if you're Mark Davis, you gave John Gruden one hundred million dollars. Ultimately, I don't know what they had to give him to get it right, so he didn't sue him after being fired the way he was, but I'm sure it was a pretty big number to settle. They got thirty million bucks going to Josh McDaniels because they signed him to a five year I think it was five years fifty if I remember right May it was four years forty. Whatever it was, it was a lot of money, a lot of money. So maybe you give Antonio three years, you know, at four per something like that, and that way you're you're saving a little bit of money. You're only paying fourteen million bucks for your head coach instead of twenty five because you're chasing you know, Jim harbaught fifteen mil, or you know Bill Belichick at twenty mil. Like that's I don't know what their financial situation is, but I would assume sooner or later that's a pretty big tab. I mean, heck, you got the rumor out there that Ben Johnson wants fifteen million bucks to be a first time head coach. There's no way. I mean, I appreciate the agent trying to plant that seed, but come on, man, let's let's be real here. So I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 3: It's actually going to be a calculated risk by the Raiders to just like you said, like four years per. If the wheels come off next year, you could part ways pretty easily, and they go after another big fish, right.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it.
Speaker 3: As far as this, as far as this head coaching position is concerned. I think our buddy Joe Ready tried to ask Jim Harball about the Chargers open. I didn't yes you that he was a disney World in our Disneyland and they asked. I think Joe just went in there and you know, shouted out the fact that the Chargers are looking for a coach and his reaction and Jim hit him with the one track mind, one day at a time, Attack today, Attack today. Somebody asked him about the other head coach. We're going to one track mind attack today. So we got to give Joe Ready a shout out for any swing in the back.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, love you Joe and your cats. Way to go love. Yeah. Look, we've said it now three ever since Brandon was let go to me. I just I feel like that's what the people want and I have, and I'm with him. He'd there are plenty of good coaches. We've we've talked about all the names that I think makes sense. You know, Dan Quinn has been a head coach before, is a great guy, has worked with Kellen and I think It's an opportunity for Kellen to show off a little bit here these next couple of weeks with Easton and these play you know, no Keenan, no Mike Williams, you know, no Justin Herbert. Can you put up some points and get a couple of wins and then you can kind of keep that synergy going moving forward. So I think there's there's some some great positives there. I just keep going back to the idea that the moment Jim Harball walks in that door, he walks in with an offensive background with I was a quarterback in the League one playoff games. I'm in the Ring of Honor in Indianapolis, you know, And I'm a winner. I'm I'm not just a winner at Stanford. I'm not just a winner at San Diego. I'm not just a winner at Michigan. I was a winner with the forty nine ers. We were two minutes away from winning a Super Bowl. Turned around a team that was in it was the dregs. I mean, it was a disaster of a team when he took it over. And I can't forty four and fourteen or something like that was his record, Like it's read.
Speaker 1: He was incredible.
Speaker 2: So I just feel like there's something to that presence to we're gonna change things. You guys lost more one score games than any team over the last five years. Y'all lost more games by three or fewer points. They got a shot at doing that the most in history. It's the ninety three Oilers that were zero and seven in games they lost by three points or less. Right now the Chargers. I got six of them. So we're changing. I'm a winner. You guys may not be winners, but I am. And you're going to join me in being winners moving forward. So I just think there's something there's something to that. If it's anybody else, if it's Ben Johnson or Mike McDonald, great, you know. I mean, I'm sure they come in with great press. That's the thing. It's like, people, we don't know. We don't know what these meetings are like, or how they go, or what the presentation is, what the vision is. But I just for me, I feel like I know what Jim Harboy is. Freaking guy's a psycho. He is a psycho who's super competitive and all he wants to do is win football games. That is why he believes he was put on earth to go win football games. And there's something about guys like that that I just appreciate.
Speaker 1: And he gets interview him every week.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, I don't know if he'd be okay with Maybe that'll change. I mean. The funny thing is like when he first got the job at San Diego, we used to put him on We would put him on the Petro some money show, and then that carried over when he got the Stanford job. He came out all the time because he would use us to recruit southern California. I would assume that was his idea, Well, hey here's the number one show.
Speaker 1: And so other that fuck you every week.
Speaker 2: Sometimes he'd be great. Other times he'd be like not enjoying this. I don't like you guys very much. But you know, And also I got to call a ton of Stanford games with with Curtis Conway, who was his teammate, you know, and and we would go down on the field and some games he'd be in a great mood and other games he wouldn't be. And it just kind of dependent what Jim Harball you got. But there's no denying it's it's not about not about how how comfortable we're going to be. It's about winning games and given Justin Herbert and this team the best voice moving forward. And I think anybody you talked to that's in his inner circle, they all say the same thing that not winning that Super Bowl tore him apart, and and he is fueled. He is determined to get back to the NFL at some point, get back to the Super Bowl and win it. So let's let's have it be with the Powder Blues.
Speaker 3: I think the best case scenario for those who want Jim Harball in the NFL, specifically in Los Angeles, is they go out and they beat Alabama and the Rose Bowl and they win a national championship, and he can leave Michigan knowing that he accomplished the mission, and really he kind of has already right going to back, he totally has, but just to have the complete icing on the cake and cherry on top winning a national championships, then I feel like he would be like, you know what, I did what I said I was gonna do. Now I got to go back to the NFL and win a Super Bowl, and who knows it could be with the Charters.
Speaker 1: We talked about all the big fish, Money, Belichick, Harrball, Tomlin, who I think would be It'd be ridiculous. I he went anywhere. I think he's gonna stay in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first time coordinators or the coordinators who used to be head coaches. That list I think is rather short. You know, you mentioned Dan Quinn, a guy who has been to a Super Bowl and has done a heck of a job in Dallas. Ben Johnson who I mean, he lights up the score board every week. But I think I even said last week, you know, we're not in the interview.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he's learned from Dan Cable, and Dan Cable's learned from San Payton, and I'm sure that he has a CEO type mentality in there somewhere, But I don't know. Mike McDonald, the defensive coordator, would you bring in another defensive mind?
Speaker 2: I think that's very Brandon Staley esque, right, guy that coordinates the number one defense, first year doing it? What do we make of that? What's the takeaway that you know? What I mean? I think that to me is a lot of times the pendulum's got a swing, and that's too similar when you go through it. You've got Frank Reich, who has let go by the Panthers and reportedly they were interested in bringing him in as the OC No One in Arizona, Washington. Eric the enemy, but there's a reason why he's interviewed for seemingly every head coaching job and keeps, you know, not getting them.
Speaker 3: What do you think about enemy? It's you know, how is played really good ball? Then he just hit a complete wall and the team's a mess. But Kansas City is also a mess offensive lead. Yeah right, I don't know. I you mentioned he's interviewed a tother times. I guess it hasn't.
Speaker 2: Goldwell, No, and I'm going Bears. They may get rid of Everflus. I don't know if you can bring him in considering his record Saints, no Packers, no Falcons. If they let go of Arthur Smith, you'd probably bring him in for an interview. I know they were interested in him when they hired Brandon Staley, No Vikings, Seahawks Rams Raheem Morris be interesting. You know, was so young when he got that opportunity he was with and that those players, My gosh, you look at the defensive talent on that team. It is all kids and they're playing their tail off, So that's interesting. You mentioned dan Quinn Tampa and no. Ben Johnson's the hot name out of Detroit, Philly, Nobody, San Francisco. You know, they've been kind of just picked clean. Patriots. We already talked about Belichick Tennessee. You've talked about if they move on from Vrabel, but I just don't quite see that happening. Bengles, Steelers, Tomlin. We talked about Colts, Bills, Browns. Jim Schwartz. That's an interesting one you think about. You've got no quarterback on that team. The quarterback position has been an absolute disaster, and you got ten wins and you're kicking ass on defense. So that's that's an interesting one.
Speaker 3: Interesting you mentioned that name, because all I can think about is the Jim Harball Jim Schwartz handshake.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, one of the games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly when he took the Lies to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, the year after they were over.
Speaker 1: Genius too. I think he went to Georgetown.
Speaker 2: And he's a very bright guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very He would be an interesting name.
Speaker 1: He's had success as a coordinator everywhere he's going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's an interesting one. Chiefs, Nobody, Dolphins. I mean there's that Frank Smith thing, but I can't see that, you know, not not somebody that was on Brandon's staff there, so that would be weird. So yeah, I think that's you know, there's a lot and there's I'm sure some names that we're not thinking of. I mean, selfishly, the only one that I would everybody talks about Ryan Day that he definitely has an NFL presence to him, more of a CEO, you know, stickler to details, details, details, details kind of guy. So that would be one. And rumor is he's interested in making the jump. I think that's more important than just like one of the scheme guys. Selfishly, for me, one of my absolute favorite people in the profession is Chris Peterson. I think that guy would be successful anywhere he goes. He is such an inspiring figure. The way he speaks to people, the motivational just there's something about him. He just anytime you're in his presence, you just feel there's like a lift. He just won't do it. I think he's so content and his post coaching life. But you're talking about a guy that won at Davis, that made Boise State and national power and knocked off Oklahoma in a BCS game, took Washington to the playoff. Like that. That guy's a coach. He can freaking coach. So and there's the connection with Kellen obviously. You know, the two made incredible magic at Boise together, so that would be it. I don't think there's anyone else from the coaching ranks. You know, there's the Brian Kelly, but no, thank you, I'll take a pass on that.
Speaker 1: Oh I can think about Brian Kelly's my family.
Speaker 2: Oh here we go. Now, you know he'll show up here at our press conference and be like, what's up? Super stoked b here guys. Yeah, no, no, thank you. I'll take a pass on Brian Kelly. I mean, look what, You've already got it out there. The guy's just never I don't know. It's like I don't remember who put it out there. If it was felt, I think he might have been Bruce that put it out there that if Jim were to leave Michigan, did Brian Kelly be interested.
Speaker 1: It's like, dude already just jumping jobs.
Speaker 2: So I think that I wish I could think of I mean, I guess if I go to n Cuba and go do rankings. Let's see if there's anybody that we're forgetting skin. I mean, look old Dabbo Rooms.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that he's an NFL guy.
Speaker 2: No Sark, No Saban, not gonna do it. Norvel is you know, Kirby. I think those guys are you know, they're they're great coaches, but I think recruiting is such a big part of their success. Dan Lanning is interesting. I mean, he's certainly got those guys fired up, you know, and is pretty incredible what he's been able to do at Oregon. But those are all just such big risks, you know that that's and then like when you talk about the Lincoln Riley's you know sort of thing. Those are just sort of scheme guys, and I think you fall into a little bit of a danger zone with guys like that as opposed to leaders more of the oh yeah, that guy's a head coach. And that's sort of the sense you get with Jim Harbaugh, with Kalin de boor with Nick Saban, with Mike Norvel, Like these guys are head coaches, they're Ryan Day. You know, they're not play card. You know what's the next great play I can call. They're they're leaders. So there's a lot of interesting names.
Speaker 3: Midway through the USC, I think Lincoln who there? You thought there were some rulers, but I don't want to go to the NFL. Those quickly went.
Speaker 2: Away, you know, So yeah, no doubt. I mean, and he's making a ton of cash. And yeah, I mean he's making a ridiculous amount of money. Now look he's losing Caleb Williams. It was fun to watch Miller Moss last night, you know, put together a heck of a game insteat a USC record. I love seeing those stories. It's wonderful even if he never plays, you know, another game for see because they bring someone in through the transfer portal. But you know, it's it goes to show you Lincoln can coach offense. Man, he can freaking coach offense. So there's I get it, you know, I totally get it. But you know, to me, I think for the Chargers, I do think there's something to having that winning mentality walk through the door. Yeah, set a tone change. I'm not necessarily saying change of culture, but just I think set a tone is the best way to put it.
Speaker 3: I think establish a culture of wedding, you know, with with with somebody who's done it before. And yeah, money last thing, because I think that there's been some chatter among fans too, like, well, shoot, next year, look at the cap, it's for forty million over. We're gonna take a step back anyway. You know what what could next year look like? I think A, with with A plus coaching, they're gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: And and B.
Speaker 3: Like what do you think they need to do to make sure that they.
Speaker 1: Can make the playoffs next year?
Speaker 3: Like you mentioned the top ten draft pick, that's a chip that can be turned into a lot of different positions, and they need some positions. Do you bring Mike or Keenan, Joey or Khalil? Like there's a lot of big decisions that need to be made. And again these last two weeks we talked about the development of some of these guys.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen a heavily out there.
Speaker 3: There's some of the guys that we need to see across the defensive light especially, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't think that they're too far away. I think that the you know, the cap, some people say the cap is a myth and you can you can get around it. And you can.
Speaker 3: You can, you know, manipulate it, and to some degree you can. I know, justin ververper is gonna make a ton of money here over the next several years.
Speaker 1: But you can still field. I think a contending team.
Speaker 2: Well, they have one of two paths they can take, and the one path is the Saints. And you kick the can down the road another year and you move some money around and you keep all the old guys and you just you're like, well, because you're gonna have to take your medicine, sooner or later, it's gonna happen. You can't. Yes, the cap keeps going up and think, but it's just eventually you're gonna have to reset and you're going to have to move or cut and your take your poison pills, you know, in terms of cap hits with dead cap money. You know, the Rams had to do it and they were able to compete. You know, the Rams did it this year, and they they in two years ago and they had to restock their roster with all that young talent, and last year they played like crap and this year they're back, you know, and next year they're going to be even better. And so I I think Justin's twenty five. Like to me, it almost makes a little bit more sense just to take your medicine now take it right away, rip the band aid off and so. And by that what I mean is I think you shop. You figure out which of these big numbers can get a trade? Can I can I get a mid round pick? Can I get a three for one of these blue chips? Because that then lessens your financial impact, right, it takes it down a little bit, so you don't have as big of a hit against the cap as just letting the guy go and eating all the dead money. If you can make a trade, get some of that money back. They're already doing it with J. C. Jackson. You know, they took a took a huge hit on that because they had to pay the majority of the salary just to get him off the roster. But if you can find some teams that are willing to trade for and restructure because they feel like they're really close and maybe they're one wide receiver away or one defensive lineman away, then to me, that would be a yes. I think they say yes in those situations. Can we get an asset, can we get a mid round pick? Can we get a day two pick you know, a two, three or four for one of these guys, and just restock the roster and get young and kind of reset our financial situation moving forward, because it's clear they have to. I mean, you know, that's just it's either that or all right, we're forty million over, let's restructure, convert this to signing bonus, add some voidable years, and we're coming back with the same guys, A plus coaching.
Speaker 3: We'll mask that too if you rip the band aid off. Yes, you know, Sean McVay is the perfect example of that, Like, like what what they're doing money is remarkable with all these young guys and in a in a an elite quarterback also messed that, like Stafford was hurt during that five and twelve year and it just the wheels came off a little bit. But had Stafford say healthy, they probably would have won eight or nine games last year.
Speaker 2: They had to reset their old line, you know, and I think but they did, and I think that's it's kind of what we're getting at, right. You know, you just got to reset. You're gonna have to reset some position groups that either got old or underperformed with some young talent. And hope you can coach them up and develop them. And that's what the Rams did, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Uh Denver on Sunday, anything else about that matchup? Did you want to dive into.
Speaker 2: Or let's get Eckler's eighty yards, Maybe try to get him one hundred so you know, all he needs is sixty against the Chiefs. Get him his money. Let's get east in a win, you know, let's continue to win. Let's get different with win miked up in the locker room postgame on I'm with you. I would love to see him get this one. I think it's attainable. They split with the Broncos every year, so let's get they beat them. You know, the Broncos beat the Chargers here. Let's let's get the split by knocking them off there, you know, get your sixth win, and see if you can close it out by ruining the Chiefs and pushing them down to the four seat. That's what I'd love to see.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine if the Raiders win next week and the Chiefs lives to the Bagels and the Rangers have the ability to keep the Chiefs out of the playoffs, that would be great. Putting the Raiders in, But the fact that you can knock the chiefs out makes it weader.
Speaker 2: Maybe get Antonio Pierce a ten year contract, a lifetime contract, exactly, all right, guys, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Buddy, safe travels to Denver. Appreciate.
Speaker 3: This has been Chargers Weekly, presented by Microsoft, Sir