Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world, and straight ahead on the program Wall Street, kicking off the new week with a closely watched jobs report. I'm Tom Busby and I'll have that store.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carolyn London. If we're thinking about what's in store for London's restaurants and cultural scenes in twenty twenty four. Is the economic backdrop in the UK remains gloomy.
Speaker 3: I'm Doug Prisoner with a look at what the new year may mean for markets in China, India and Japan.
Speaker 4: I'm Heeley Lyons from Washington, where we're looking ahead to a very busy political season.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, The business news you need to wrap up your week, Available on Apple, Spotify, The Bloomberg Business Happen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby and we begin today's program with a key economic report to begin twenty twenty four. This Friday, we get the jobs report for the month of December and with the Federal Reserve keeping interest rates unchanged since July, each report takes on more significance for the Central Bank's next move. For more, we're pleased to welcome. Bloomberg News US economist Alisa Winger, Well, we've seen a pretty resilient US labor market along with continued consumer spending that has kept the economy growing even flourishing throughout this past year twenty twenty three. Just this past week, their first time jobless claims showing layoffs are in check, continuing claims a little higher. What are you expecting to see in the December jobs report this Friday?
Speaker 6: We are expecting to see a slow down, soft ter gains. What Bloomberg Economics is predicting is one hundred and twenty five k jobs being created, which is down from one ninety nine prior, and that's our estimate, is below the consensus estimate of one hundred and seventy. Also, we are expecting higher unemployment rate ticking up to three point nine from three point seven prior, and also above the consensus which is expecting unemployment rate to uptick to just three point eight percent.
Speaker 1: But why the slow down?
Speaker 6: I think the biggest The biggest reason is in the month of November, we saw that forty one k jobs came from the resolution of a strike. That's just not going to happen. That's not going to repeat in December, given that, we're just going to see us a much slower, much softer growth. Also, what we saw in November and what we are expecting in December is that not a lot of sectors are creating jobs. In November, although sure we got a number that beat the consensus, it was mostly the government and healthcare sector that created jobs, and that sort of I think we're also going to see in December, so overall less jobs being created and probably you know we're going to be surprised to the downside.
Speaker 1: Now you spoke about the healthcare sector, government sector, these will you see these continued growth in the new year and are there other sectors where you really see a pullback expected?
Speaker 6: So these are acyclical sectors. They not being affected by a downturn or any sort of slow down in economic activity. So these sectors could still grow mine as well grow in the next year. But as we've seen in the November jobs Jobs report, a lot of the sectors were either flat or decline, like for example, retail sales is very cyclical and jobs in retail sectors decline or whole trade. So we're probably going to see a lot less job creation in those consumer facing industries.
Speaker 1: And you talked about manufacturing. You know, the UAW strike that ended forty one thousand added November's numbers, which skewed it a lot higher than maybe than it should have been. Where do you see manufacturcturing heading?
Speaker 6: So I think you know, I s A Manufacturing is gonna come out on Wednesday and sector is going to be in contraction for fourteen straight months. We're probably gonna not gonna see a lot of jobs coming. I mean, there's packets of strength with and manufacturing coming from the Chips Act and AI, but a lot of it is just you know, us consumer demand is going to slow and we don't expect the holiday season, Like National Federation of Retailers came out and they said that overall holiday sales are in between three and four percent. Our estimate is at the low end of that estimate. So I think we're gonna as we head into the new year, we're gonna see less consumer demand and those industries within manufacturing that produce goods, this is not gonna hire.
Speaker 1: Now, how about housing though we have seen continued demand. We know that existing houses a little uneven, sometimes time better than others. But the demand for new houses, which is three jobs for every house going up, how does that look in the future.
Speaker 6: I do think there is demand for housing and not enough supply. Having said that, the affordability is very low. So even I think even if we would see more housing, more houses being available, there is only so much demand. And the demand is being flooded into the new construction market only because there is just not enough existing home for sales. But if the FED will start cutting rates, that will relieve some of the pressure on both the existing inventory of homes, which will probably rebalance the demand back towards existing home and away from new construction.
Speaker 1: If the FED starts cutting rates, and that's what this is all about, whether job growth slows, inflation has slowed down quite a bit, it's not exactly at the fed's target. We've seen wage growth slow a little bit, all leading to the first meeting at the end of January for the FED. And if everything is aligned in the jobs report, what do you expect the FED to do? Where do you see them in the next few months.
Speaker 6: We put out an outlook in December ahead of the meeting in December, which was December twelve thirteen, where everybody, I think most of us were surprised at the tilt dovish tilt that Powell basically said, you know, they've discussed a rate cut. We anticipated ahead of that meeting that the Fed is going to cut rates in March by twenty five basis points and another one hundred throughout twenty twenty four, and mostly because that aligns with our forecast. We are expecting less jobs this Friday, and we are expecting unemployment rate to go up, and we are seeing less holiday sales. We are on the lower end of the forecast. That data is still not fully out for the month of December, but it looks like the holiday sales weren't as strong as people are expecting. So all of that tells us we should get the Fed to cut rates in March.
Speaker 1: We have the likelihood of job creation slowing down. We have the unemployment rate notching just a little bit higher right now, three seven to three nine. You anticipate it's not cataclysmic, it's not the sign of a recession. Is it just a little bit of a slowdown.
Speaker 6: What we have actually, so we not only have three point nine unemployment rate in December, but if unemployment rate goes up to four that will trigger the summ rule for identifying a recession. Again, is it going to be a hard lending. No, it's going to be a mild recession. We still think that's probably in the cards. And with the Fed though cutting rates in March, possibly in March, that's a smart move and the Feds, you know, that's like, that's that's cutting rates against an economy that is showing signs of slowdown. And also why Powell pivot as much at the December meeting is because inflation surprise to the downside. The six month annuallyized core PCE was at one point nine percent. So all of that tells you that if we're going to get unemployment rate surprising to the to the upside, meaning it will go up. I mean, in our forecast shows that unemployment rate can go up even in Q one to four point three and can pick at five percent, that's not a soft lending. That's that's a mild recession.
Speaker 1: You predict that we're going to see as much as four point five percent in the next three months.
Speaker 6: Four point three in Q one four point five in Q two in Q two Okay, so.
Speaker 1: We've got our work cut out for the FED, certainly, and they've got in that time. They have three meetings, right, the third one ends May first, so we could see multiple rate cuts to staunch the reaction from the economy and from the markets.
Speaker 6: Right exactly. And even as we mentioned in the beginning of the segment that jobless claims, we're seeing sure low layouts, but continued claims. If you look at the same the same week four week moving average claims, continued claims are up seventeen percent between between this year and last year. That tells you that it's the duration of unemployment, meaning is getting longer and longer. And that's usually the sign where the market is changing, where the when the where there is a shift going on in the labor market. At first it started it's taking longer for people to find jobs, and then companies manage headcunt going to manage headcunt from a tree to actually layoffs. So that's been happening and we see that over and over in jobless claims figures.
Speaker 1: Wow, So this Friday a lot to look forward to. Our thanks to Bloomberg News US economist Alisa Winger, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we take you to London for a closer look at the UK economy in the new year. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. The UK sliding into twenty twenty four with negative growth, with the impact of interest rate hikes still feeding into the economy. Consumers feeling the pinch from the higher cost of living, but they're still spending enough to fuel London's restaurant and cultural scenes. The weaker pound versus the dollar also has helped attract more big spending tourists, particularly from the US. For more, let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak Europe banker Stephen Carroll.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 2: Despite the gloomy economic background in the UK this year, it's been a busy year for London's restaurants scene, with several high profile openings that came after a difficult winter. Add to that not one but two billion pound hotel openings. So what's in store for twenty twenty four to discuss. I'm joined by our food editor Kate Crater and our Bloomberg Pursuits UK correspondent Sarah Rappaport. Great to have you both with us. You are our eyes and ears in London. So, Kate, I wanted to start with a serious question for you. Was twenty twenty three a good year for restaurants and further hospitality sector here in London?
Speaker 7: I think that the year in hospitality for restaurants, it was a sort of glass half fall. So you can look at it and say, after COVID and certainly after the train strikes that hit restaurants last year, right at this time, right when everyone was getting optimistic, this has been a much much better year and you're seeing so many signs for recovery. Restaurants that have only been opened for four days are now open for five, six and seven days and that's a really healthy sign, and places are packed. On the other hand, it's rest places are still struggling. They don't have enough staff and a report recently came out from an accounting firm, Hacker Young that said restaurants in London are carrying three billion.
Speaker 8: Dollars in debt.
Speaker 7: So as a result of trying to expand too quickly and dealing with problems like food inflation. So there might be underneath the ice that everyone's sort of happily skating on. It might be a little bit thin, so it sort of remains to be seen. So there's things to be really happy about. As you said, there were some fantastic openings. The Wolsey City opened right near our corner, conveniently open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And there's a bunch of things coming in twenty twenty four that are gonna be fun. So there's definitely optimism. Holiday parties are really booked up this year. But I wouldn't say everything's fine and deady. I wouldn't tie it up with a little ribbon, okay.
Speaker 2: So things also looking kind of curious as we look towards twenty twenty four as well, Sarah. Meanwhile, it's been a booming year for luxury hotels in London in particular. You've written some great pieces about this. What is driving the demand for luxury hotels in London?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean it's been a huge year. In September, the raffles London at the Old War Office and the Peninsula both opened, both which cost over a billion dollars each to build, and room rates start at over one thousand pounds a night for both. So certainly, yeah, very expensive. And in terms of who's actually staying in them, the answer is generally rich Americans than people from the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 8: They're very special hotels that took a really long time to build.
Speaker 2: The Old War Office in particular is a fascinating one because it's a historical building.
Speaker 8: It is it opened in nineteen oh six. It's a grand building. It was the head of you know, the Grand Office of War right during both world wars. Now there's a site in Churchill's old Office with a rubber gloffice desk worries to work. It'll cost you about twenty thousand pounds a night if you want to stay there.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you're getting a piece of that piece.
Speaker 8: Of history, which is pretty incredible. Kate and I actually went to a subterranean bar in the basement called the Spy Bar.
Speaker 2: You know, I've actually heard about.
Speaker 8: This as interrogation rooms, right, so now wow, which is truly The spices used to go down there and my five used to have offices there, and now it's a bar with you know, nice twenty pounds martinis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, indeed.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, the strength of the dollars has been part of that story as well as that it's been helped to support those American tourists that are use.
Speaker 8: For both tourism and for the luxury real estate market.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it is the fact that they opened this year because of delays, because of the pandemic where they planned.
Speaker 8: It's because of delays. They were not planned for this year, either of them. They're pushedbacks a story. In a lot of hotels, they're opening dates a little optimistic, but they all open with two weeks of each other.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a conversation in that space as well. And Kat, when we think about trends that we've seen over the past year in the food scene, was there anything that stood out for you that was kind of something that you were like, yes, this is we're now co hosting a five.
Speaker 7: Well, Stephen, here's where I remember that. I think we were supposed to go have drinks at a wine bar because last year at this time I said wine bars are going to be big in London.
Speaker 2: Which I was very excited about it.
Speaker 7: And Jerry I'm still excited for this to happen. And the good news for us is that wine bars were indeed a huge trend in London in twenty twenty three. There's so many of them. There's a place, especially in North London around Newington Green, a place that opens sort of towards the end of last year called Caday has been going super strong. It's so popular it's been called out all these all these places have recognized the chef. They have this charcuderie superstar there. So that's i think set the scene for a lot of other places to open. A place called one O seven opened I think it's around Hackney in Covent Garden. Ten cases has been a popular wine bar, and they just opened a place called Bawdry Green that's wine bar. And the problem is that now it's become such a popular model that I think places that are actually restaurants are calling themselves wine bars, like yeah, in the way that everyone wants to say natural wine, like you don't just pour wine, you pour a natural wine. And so it's very quickly become an overused concept.
Speaker 2: Interesting, have we reached peak wine bar?
Speaker 8: We've reached peak wine bar.
Speaker 2: You're right, terrible news for those of us.
Speaker 8: About peak natural wine. Are we there yet or is that some times?
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's good. That's a good question. I think I'm here for natural wine. But everyone, I mean, it's sort of like saying something that does need to be said, you know, It's just like say that you're pouring wine. You don't need to say natural anymore exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a whole other conversation to be hod about the evolution of natural wine, which we will have to do on another occasion. But I want you to look into your crystal bowl for us and tell us what you're seeing. Considering you predicted so accurately the trend for this year, what do you what are you thinking about when it comes to the FI scene in twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Four, I will say I think I love London. I have fallen in love with London. I think Manchester is going to get bigger and bigger next year. I think we're going to be seeing a lot more energy outside of London.
Speaker 8: It's already happening.
Speaker 7: Edinburgh's a super hot food city right now and it's just going to be bigger in twenty twenty four. I think you're going to see a lot more local ingredients, partly because of climate, partly because of all the issues people are having and price concerns. So already you've seen some really good sushi places like Dinings SW three sourcing local food and not necessarily flying it in from Japan. And I think you're going to see even more chefs highlighting the fact that they've got vegetables from cornwall and seafood from you know, from that coast as well. That's gonna be You're going to see more and more of that. And I think also this is very bold, so you can fact check me on it. I think we're going to start seeing the end of small plates. We've eaten so many small plates, so much food has been eatn off small plates, I think Webb, Oh my god, Stephen, you will keep talking. I know, Sarah's big plates.
Speaker 2: I know, because inevitably you just end up spending three times as much money because you think I'm going to need loads more.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right, exactly, And I think there is more like the Wolsely City just open, and they don't have like a small plate section. It's a place where you get you know, regular size plates of food. So and you have like food food, and you have like three courses, you know. So I think that sort of idea that not everything is a snackathon is is going to be prevalent.
Speaker 2: The three course is coming back. You heard it here first, Yes, she did. Sarah talk to us about the cultural scene in London this year. What stood out for you? What was your big highlight?
Speaker 8: Well, I was just talking about this with my letters at Business Week and we're saying between me and my boss in New York, Chris, the editor of Pursuits, we've seen over one hundred plays and musicals this year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 8: So we've seen quite a lot, and there's some really amazing shows on in London. And my favorite actually is Operation mince Meat with Sharks. Have you seen it?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: I haven't. Sorry I could have gasped there about it. No I haven't, but it's very high on my list. Go on, tell me about its.
Speaker 8: Going on till June, so you have plenty of time to book, both you and your listeners. But it's actually about an I five intelligence operation during World War Two. They stole a corpse m I five, dressed it up as a army officer, washed it up ashore and Spain with fake invasion plans of Sicily right, this sounds like it's a stranger than fiction story. Yeah, but it makes for a really hilarious musical with some really touching sad scenes as well. So who would have thought this crazy World War two operation would be the best musical on stage? But it really is.
Speaker 2: Thank you to you both, Kate Creator, our food editor and Sarah Rappaport, our Bloomberg Pursuits UK correspondent. I'm Stephen Carroll in London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg day Break Europe're gonna at six am in London and one am on Wall Streets.
Speaker 1: Tom Our thanks to Bloomberg day Break Europe Banker Steven Carroll and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, and look at what's ahead for the Asian markets in twenty twenty four. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomber I'm Tom Busby in New York with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. As year twenty twenty three comes to a close, we take a look at what's ahead for markets in China, India and Japan in twenty twenty four, Let's get to Bloomberg Daybreak Asia co host Doug Krisner.
Speaker 3: Tom The challenges ranged from a flopped reopening trade to faltering economic growth, as well as an unprecedented outflow of foreign capital. So as we wrap up twenty twenty three, we turn to the outlook for the year ahead. Bloomberg's Felipe Pacheco is with us. He is the capital markets reporter for APAC Equity. He joins us from our studios in Hong Kong. I think we can agree, Philip that for China, the major problem, not only for the economy but for markets as well, has been this weak sentiment. Maybe there was some initial excitement around a strong recovery post pandemic that never materialized. Is there any optimism that we can expect in the new year that will mean that twenty twenty four is better than twenty three?
Speaker 9: Well, that's correct. I think that it's very hard to find that optimism out there, especially at this time of the year. We usually do a ton of talks with bankers get their outlook for what they're expecting, at least for the first quarter of the following year. When we had these conversations last year. Most of them were very very positive about the outlook for China, especially because at that point we knew that the country was opening up. There was the whole excitement towards the fact that China's economy would be way more open than it was during the COVID years, and what we saw in equity capital markets was this gigantic frustration. For example, China was responsible mainly in China mostly for about half of all of the deals within ECM that happened in twenty twenty two. This time this year we have China representing less than thirty percent for global offerings. So it's very hard to say when this is going to actually improve. There's no perspective that there is a better first half of twenty twenty four than what we saw in the two final quarters of twenty three. And I think that what investors, bankers and companies are looking for right now is indication from the Chinese government that there will be support, that there will be measures to actually bring back optimism towards the economy, and therefore they will be looking for money again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the slump in the property market has been the central problem in restoring confidence. Is there any signal that the government is sending that it understands the severity of the problem.
Speaker 9: I think that that are signals that they are willing to address such problems. There has been an indication is of support in different ways, especially to the real state sector. Is it enough? I don't think so. When we talk to bankers they say that they need more, like the market needs more. They need like a bazooka, something that would send a clear message of support, that would give indications that there is a turnaround, that we've hit the bottom and from now on things should get better. I don't think anyone has seen that yet. I don't think there is indication that this is on the way. For example, when we talk to bankers looking at IPOs, they say that we need to see bigger deals. We need to see those blackbusters, deals with names that cash the headlines, and we need to see a few of them performing quite well for a while. We cannot see deals flopping. We cannot see IPOs coming to market and then just grabbing negative attention. This is the worst that you can have for a market that is very sensitive to sentiment.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the things that I think has contributed to foreign investors removing a lot of capital out of the markets. Not a lot of evidence that the government really understands what the problem is to the extent that they're really willing to throw as you mentioned the Pazuka behind it. To what extent is that lack of foreign capital creating difficulty for capital markets?
Speaker 9: More broadly, I think that it creates a lot of gaps. Let's say within equity capital markets. For example, you have all flows for all kinds of Chinese investments, including equities in the secondary market. Hong Kong's market is going through a very very hard time. The index here in Hong Kong, the HCI, is now more than fifteen percent for the year. We also have the bench markets in the mainland down by a similar percentage. So it's just a very very heart scenario, and you see money just getting out of Chinese assets as a whole. Of course, that impacts the way companies that are considering to tap the markets to make their plans as well. Companies are pretty much on that state right now. They are on pause, they're on hold because they do not know if this improvement will come. And then at the end of the day, of course, if you have money flowing out of China. This money is going somewhere else. We see a lot of optimism, for example, when it comes to assets trading in India and also activity in ECM for India because this is a huge emerging market that's just like bringing a lot of positive headlines. And then another market that's catching a lot of attention for this particular segment is also so Japan. Japan is a developed economy, it's a completely different economy than what you would see in China. But of course it's been a great year for Japanese assets, especially equities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a very good year for the market in India. I think the major market measures are up double digits in US taller terms. But if you look at the year ahead, are analyst assuming that this positivity is going to continue or might we see a bit of a pause. Is it a market that is maybe a little overextended.
Speaker 9: That's a very interesting point because we do know that India is training at very expensive levels right now when it comes to equities trading. But one of the binkers that I talked to with someone that is close to the Indian market, he said, we do know that India is expensive, and we hear that from our clients, but at the same time we ask are you willing to buy? Are you willing to invest at this price, and they say yes. You can see things performing well. You can see acids just from the fixed income sign and also from the equity side doing quite well. That's what investors are looking for in a tough year like this. For example, if you look just of all of the names that so big steaks in Indian companies listed Indian companies this year. We're talking about soft Bank, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. We have Tensen that had several stakes in companies that listed in India. So these are big global investors that they are coming to market to sell big chunks, let's say five to ten percent of the stakes that they own in such companies because price is good and they are making money out of it. When those companies put those blocks and those placements out in the market and you see them trading up two days after, this is very rare. You clearly see demand coming from the domestic market in Indian and also from foreigners. So there is appetite, there is a lot of interest. This is India's moment is it going to last whenever China is back, whenever activity in China picks up. That's the main question for Indian as it's and for Indian issuers.
Speaker 3: I think one of the surprises this year in the Asia Pacific has been the performance of the Japanese equity market. I don't know how much of that has to do with anticipation of some type of change in policy from the Bank of Japan, but I think the Nike in dollar terms is up more than seventeen percent year to date. The outlook for Japan is it contingent the positivity contingent upon the boj maybe adjusting policy, or is there something else going on with Japan inc that's driving the gains.
Speaker 9: I think Japan is a very very very curious cause, as you mentioned, there's a lot of it that is related to the bog the moment in Japan's economy. This is a turning point for a country that hasn't seen inflation for like decades, and there is a lot of attention that's going towards it. I think when it comes specifically to the equities market and all of these companies that are actually trying to raise funds through equities It's very interesting to see that this comes in combination with a lot of measures that are being done by the local stock exchange to actually boost governess and to make maybe combine this particular moment in the macro aspects of the country to what's happening within the corporate sectors. So you have, for example, the Stock Exchange in Tokyo asking companies to just improve all of the governance levels that they have. They are trying to attract more names to the market, and they are also trying to improve the holdings what they call in Japane's crossholdings. Basically, a lot of Japanese big conglomerates the own shares of their sister companies and this is not seeen in a good way when it comes to governance aspects. So the local regulator in the also the exchange, is just trying to unwind such traits, and there's a lot of companies that are coming to market to actually execute it.
Speaker 3: Philip, great that you could be with us and to share your expertise on what's happening in these various equity markets across the APEX. That is, Felipe Pacheco, who covers APAC Equity Capital Markets from our bureau in Hong Kong. I'm Doug Prisner. You can join Brian Curtis and myself weekdays here for Bloomberg day Break Asia, beginning at seven am in Hong Kong six pm on Wall Street Tom.
Speaker 1: Our thanks to Bloomberg day Break Asia co host Doug Krisner, and coming up here on Bloomberg day Break Weekend, look at some of the big political items on the agenda in Washington in the new year. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby. In New York, lawmakers will start the new year running with a full slate of legislative priorities as soon as they get back and their holiday break that includes another possible government shutdown. For more, we turned to Bloomberg's Sound Down co host Kaylee Lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks Tom. Twenty twenty four is looking to be a very busy year in and around Washington, between the primary contest for the Republican Party really kicking off in earnest and the threat of a government shutdown. And that's just in January. There's a lot more that's going to come throughout the year, so we wanted to get more on what we can expect in the year ahead. For politics, I caught up with Henrietta Tre's of Beta Partners, and we started with her thoughts on the likelihood of a shutdown.
Speaker 8: You know, I think that.
Speaker 10: We have staved off a shutdown because shutting down is actually worse than taking the votes to keep things functioning at their current levels. So I think January nineteenth and February second are just going to roll into March and April, June and July probably two to six times through the first half of twenty twenty four. The most important date for investors since we've sort of vibracated the appropriations bills and only had a partial shutdowns of pieces of the government. In the event that there are shutdowns, I think the most important day for investors is sort of the run up to May first, particularly in the defense space, because they don't think they're going to avoid the sequester early, and I don't think they're going to come up with some grand bipartisan deal as y'all are sort of alluding to earlier. There is no bipartisanship on Capitol Hill around anything other than hey, let's just not shut down. So I think as we get into mid April, investors in the defense space who are looking down the barrel of a one percent spending cut for defense are probably going to get a little acious a lot of headline risks as they seek to avoid that at the eleventh hour. So maybe keep May first on your radar and maybe April fifteenth around then for headline risk to start.
Speaker 4: Moving before we can even get to twenty twenty five. To your point, Henrietta, people need to last twenty twenty four, which brings me to the Mike Johnson question. Of course, the relatively newly minted Speaker of the House who has passed a continuing resolution with Democratic support, which is what got Kevin McCarthy kicked out of the job in the first place earlier in this fall. So I just wonder how much longer he's really got if he's going to need to fund the government and potentially does need to kick the can and House conservatives don't like it, right, and.
Speaker 10: You've already seen the House Conservatives say, you know, the deal that was negotiated last May with Kevin McCartney. A, he's not even a speaker. B.
Speaker 8: He's not even a congressman anymore.
Speaker 2: And then the next question is how long is Johnson going to be the speaker in DC?
Speaker 10: If you go to meetings with staff, they'll say, is it going to be six months or six years? The verdict the jury is very much out on that one, and it's a popular power of the game, which does not bode well. I think the honeymoon phase is over. I'm going to be really interested to see how members start reacting when they get back into town. It's impossible for about eight to twenty members of the far right to agree to any spending level. And we're not talking about huge chunks of change right now. The difference between the far right and the moderates in the Senate, which have overwhelmingly passed all twelve appropriations bills, is like five billion dollars, and we're talking about a one point five ish.
Speaker 8: Trillion dollar package.
Speaker 10: So for the difference to be twenty five billion dollars, it's like you know, me asking you for five bucks and should know. But they literally just don't have the votes for anything that sounds like yes. So those guys are always going to be voting no, which forces Speaker Johnson to constantly be negotiating with Democrats, which is of course anathma to the far right, but they are ironically the ones that are enforcing that reality on Speaker Johnson. So I hope you can make it through April. Obviously, we've seen how long a series of votes can go on the potential for another speaker, so I can tell drawn out. Nobody wants to do that, but memories stayed and maybe they've forgotten how uncomfortable that was in October.
Speaker 4: That's Henrietta Tree's managing partner at Veda Partners, and Tom, it looks like we're in for a wild ride in the coming year.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Kaylee. That was Bloomberg Sound on co host Kaylee Lines, and you can hear sound on weekdays one to three pm on Bloomberg Radio. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Busby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.