Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and what Good Stuff.
Speaker 2: I never told you production of iHeartRadio, and today we are bringing back kind of a dated episode I'll say about Martha Stewart, because you and I had been discussing the legacy the impact of these magazines that were all about like home decor and cooking that were aimed specifically towards women generally, and we do have episode coming out about that soonish. We're at the end of the year, so it's sort of the juggling of the calendar. But I was looking into this and I found this quote from Delish that I wanted to include holiday cooking. No surprise makes us all a bit unhinged. Even though a survey found that eighty seven point eight percent of people in the US plan to make a holiday meal, a whopping seventy percent of the same group said they've lied to someone about enjoying a holiday meal. Two and five Americans even say that the holidays negatively impact their mental health, with thirty nine percent saying that holiday meals are often the main source of their stress. Martha Stewart has also thrown in the hat this year, canceling her own Thanksgiving celebration.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's true it did. Like preparation around it, food and all the other stuff too, is very very stressful. But I think that it's interesting that Martha Stewart was like, I'm good.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know why. I feel like Martha Stewart is a lone wolf in my mind outside of Snoop Dogg, So I don't imagine I don't imagine her having a big gathering, even though I know she can't.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, right, Yeah, yeah, and I do. I have spoken to several people I know who ordered food or just cook like simple things like have sort of stepped away from this traditional big thing, and they always seem really happy. They always seem really happy with it. So I mean, I think it's worth considering if, like, if it's causing you that much stress.
Speaker 3: Because we definitely had that conversation about friends give us for us, And there was a point in my social life, I guess where I felt like if I only had one fite, it was very sad. That means I didn't have a lot of group of friends, so like having two or three, Like I was jealous of the people who had two or three of them because they had so many friends. And now I'm like, once stresses me out. I'm like, man, I need to downsath my group because they wanted two friends. Give us.
Speaker 4: Just kidding.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: It was stressful, right, Actually it was very stressful, but uh like to the point that, like my thoughts about it has changed so drastically about holiday mills and I'm like, oh, mis, fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Just one is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know I've said I've shared the story before, but I started when I was in high school. I asked my mom to teach me how to cook our traditional meal. And because I was like, well I one day. At the time, I believed I would have my own family and I need to know how to do all of this. And now we're like a good team and we do it together. But it is funny to me that in high school I was like, you must teach me the ways for my own family.
Speaker 4: Did not even play in my mind.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, I'll figure this out later.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, whatever meals you're cooking or not cooking, whatever you're enjoying, we hope that you're enjoying it, and please enjoy this classic episode.
Speaker 4: Welcome to stuff Mom never told you. From how Stuff Works dot com. Hello, and welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Kristen and I'm Caroline.
Speaker 6: And first Caroline, let me apologize to you from my slightly sick rasty voice. I don't know it kind of sounds sixy yeah, now that I'm hearing myself, I kind of sound exactly like I always do.
Speaker 1: So maybe throw some convincing coughs in there.
Speaker 6: Anyway, today we are talking about Martha Stewart, which has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the little cold that I have developed. But I thought I would start things off by sharing what Martha's doing today. You know, on our calendar, Caroline today probably said something along the lines.
Speaker 4: Of podcasting yeah, or that Martha Stewart podcasting.
Speaker 6: Well. I went to Marthastewart dot com to look at her planning calendar that she has, and for today, Martha's to do list is make chicken and vegetable stocks, freeze them, and then tomorrow she's playing to.
Speaker 4: Pick spinach and lettuce from the greenhouse for salads. That sounds like a good thing.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's true? Maybe I'm cynical.
Speaker 4: I would like for it to be true.
Speaker 6: Honestly, it's really overcast today that we're recording and staying at home making chicken and vegetable stocks and freezing them and maybe putting on an afghan afterwards and curling up with some Cama mild tea.
Speaker 1: But I don't think she does that. She's a busy lady.
Speaker 4: She never said.
Speaker 1: The reason that I'm cynical that she's actually making chicken stock today is that she is the head of an empire, a Martha Stewart Empire.
Speaker 4: She has plenty of people to make chicken stocks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she can just call on her chicken stock servant and they can do it.
Speaker 4: We're not claiming that Martha Stewart has servants disclaim her.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying if I had a lot of money and I wanted chicken stock all the time.
Speaker 4: You could probably find someone today could.
Speaker 1: Hire someone to make it for me.
Speaker 6: But speaking of Martha Stewart as a businesswoman, one of the reasons why we wanted to have this podcast today about Martha is because things are not going quite so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's one area of her empire that is suffering of late, the Hallmark Channel is preparing to cancel the Martha Stewart Show, which will air through the end of the summer summer twenty twelve. Production will cease in April and reruns will air through the end of the summer.
Speaker 6: And I think the Martha Stewart Show originally started out on NBC and then moved to Hallmark and it's run for a total of seven seasons on both channels, but has recently seen a slide in ratings. And also there have been complaints about production costs, so Martha Stewart Show Bye bye, as well as a home depot pulling it's line of Martha Stewart Living paint.
Speaker 4: Oh, so it was double whammy news, both reported in the in the New York Post a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Well, good news for Martha fans who like to watch her on TV. She is well not she her her giant empire. Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia is in talks with the network, according to network reps, about potential news show formats and concepts, So it's very possible she might develop something else. And even if she doesn't form another show on the Hallmark channel, she's got plenty else going on.
Speaker 4: She does omnimedia.
Speaker 6: I mean, if that doesn't kind of media. Hintet how many balls she's juggling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, omni like omnivore or omniscient things that are a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Or omni the former sports facility to Lada, Georgia where.
Speaker 1: I saw Bush in seventh grade. Anyway, Okay, do we want to talk about omnimedia now that we've Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: Just gonna let you drive this car, Okay.
Speaker 6: Martha Stewart living on the media comprises four main areas publishing, Internet, broadcasting, and merchandising, all of which is cross promoted.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, because you'll notice, I mean, just talking about the merchandising alone if you've ever been. She doesn't have a relationship with Kmart anymore, but I remember buying things of hers at Kmart. Half of the stuff in my apartment right now is Martha Stewart from Macy's. Yeah. She has a lot, a lot of products out there and lines for home depot which Christian just said the paint had been pulled sears Macy's Walmart. She has craft stuff at Michael's.
Speaker 4: She also has.
Speaker 1: Home cleaning products, pet products so that your pet can be preppy just like Martha.
Speaker 4: What if they have.
Speaker 1: Little pet button ups? Just like Martha, I bet, and little wigs, Oh my god, I'm a genius. Okay, brands of wine, and a line of fresh and frozen foods. And the one that blew my mind was home construction MSLO. Martha Stuart Living Omnimedia is involved in home construction. It builds and sells houses modeled after Stuart's homes in New York and Maine.
Speaker 4: Wow, so you can live in your very own Martha Stewart.
Speaker 1: Eating her food, home, buying her crafts. Wow. Yeah, I bet. I wonder if she has frozen chicken stock that you can buy.
Speaker 6: Probably, but merchandising just one of those four pillars. Publishing really makes up a bulk of MSLO.
Speaker 4: She has published so many books.
Speaker 6: She has magazines such as Martha Stewart Living, Weddings, Everyday, Food, and Whole Living, as well as special holiday and family themed magazine issues. And I want to say that Martha Stewart Living magazine circulation, which was the first and obviously her cornerstone publication, peaked at two point one million.
Speaker 4: Sheld not that at all.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Martha Stuart Living kind of intimidates me because I feel like I look at it and it just looks at me back and it goes, You're not serious enough, you don't really want this, You're not a crafter now.
Speaker 6: Just imagining you staring down Martha stewartt Living the grocery store aisle.
Speaker 1: Well, I do I stand there in line at publics or wherever and just stare at the magazine and I'm like, I'm not I know, I'm not worthy. I'll just pick up I'll just pick up another.
Speaker 4: Imaginally just slides behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the tabloid magazines, just slides in front of it.
Speaker 6: And in addition to print publishing, of course, she has her Internet properties such as Martha Stewart dot Com, as well as radio, TV and other kinds of broadcast properties.
Speaker 1: There's Everyday Food on PBS, and she has the Martha Stewart Living Radio program. Apparently she has a pretty serious presence on Serious Satellite radio, and according to her page on Serious Radio's website, Martha Stewart Living Radio with the nation's first twenty four hour, seven day a week radio service dedicated to created living.
Speaker 6: And one thing I didn't realize was that Martha Stewart basically bought the rights to.
Speaker 4: Chef Emerald Lagassi and all of his properties.
Speaker 1: As well expanding the brand. You gotta look forward, yeah, can't look back.
Speaker 6: Basically buy just by personalities, which is kind of fascinating when you think about it. So that is Martha Stewart the business.
Speaker 4: And I'm sorry to keep being the deb downer of.
Speaker 6: This episode, but in June twenty eleven, they reported that the company had sold almost forty three million dollars worth of products, but at the end of the year was ten million dollars in the red.
Speaker 4: And in fact, it's lost money seven out of the last eight years.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that's why she's looking to expand the brand, because you know, she brought her daughter Alexis on board, and Alexis had the Whatever Martha Show, and she had a show on Serious Radio also with Jeff her co host, Jennifer. And Martha did say in interviews with New York Magazine that she was quite aware that maybe her traditional shows did not appeal the crafting and the cooking and all that's handmade in the chicken stock maybe didn't appeal to people of our generation so much that she's bringing on her daughter to kind of spice things up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but before we.
Speaker 6: Talk about the future of MSLO, perhaps we should revisit the past and find out, yes, and find out how Martha Stewart got her start, because even as a child, she was quite the talented gal she.
Speaker 1: Was, and she had help from everyone around her who infisted on helping her. At the age of three, her dad, who was a pharmaceuticals salesman, taught her to garden. He was an avid gardener himself, and so at the age of three. I don't know what I was doing at the age of three, but I'm pretty sure it was involving barbies, not gardening. She also learned cooking and sewing from her mother, and her grandparents taught her to make preserves. Again, my childhood apparently pales in comparison.
Speaker 6: Well, not to mention all of that, some retired bakers who lived next door to her taught.
Speaker 4: Her to make pies and cakes.
Speaker 1: Sounds like the most idyllic country childhood, but in fact, she grew up in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: M hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 6: She says that she came from a modest home in New Jersey and that her brothers would hunt and fish, and kind of describes it as sort of a hard scrabble upbringing, but I don't know, it's still little.
Speaker 4: House in Jersey.
Speaker 6: Yes, she was a straight A student and won a scholarship to Barnard where she studied art, European history, and architectural history. And not only that, The Fair Maiden also modeled to cover expenses, and she continued a successful modeling career, appearing in print and TV ads for Breck Claarl Life, Booy Soap, and Taryton Cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was all over the place, the Stuart who knew.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And in nineteen sixty one she got married to law student Andrew Stuart.
Speaker 1: Right, and she actually followed in the footsteps of his father and in nineteen sixty seven became a stockbroker, which I mean this, lady, I mean, I've never heard of anyone. I've never heard of this before. This is pretty impressive, Martha. To have this background in modeling and yet art and architecture, and then to go and become a stockbroker. That just doesn't seem like the traditional path, So that's pretty impressive. She left in nineteen seventy three when a recession hit Wall Street, and then she and her husband moved up to Connecticut and fixed up an old farmhouse.
Speaker 6: And while living at the old farmhouse, it seems like Martha tapped back into those early kind of homemaking skills that she.
Speaker 4: Learned as a child.
Speaker 6: In nineteen seventy six, she starts a catering business out of her basement while managing a gourmet food store in town. And by building connections through this catering business and really setting up a high priced clientele and by networking through this catering business, Martha Stewart really makes a name for herself. And that's what propels her to publish her first book, Martha Stewart's Entertaining in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best selling This is also blowing me away, the best selling cookbook since Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. And I think it's really interesting that that's the one it beat, because that is how she taught herself gourmet cooking. Yeah, was using Julia Child's cookbook.
Speaker 6: And then within ten years of starting her own catering business in the basement of an old farmhouse, she grows it into a million dollar business.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Why, Yeah, of course of course she did.
Speaker 6: Because she's Martha, Because she's Martha, and then in nineteen eighty nine she divorces Andrew Stewart, and the year later she starts her own magazine, Martha Stewart Living, which.
Speaker 4: Really propels her more public persona.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she started appearing on talk shows, and she got her own thirty minute show, which then because of its popularity, expanded to an hour with thirty minute episodes on the weekend. So she's really kind of a busy lady from the get go mm h.
Speaker 6: And then by nineteen ninety three, she starts up that relationship with Kmart that you mentioned earlier Caroline for a reported five million dollars over ten years. And then by nineteen ninety seven, she's purchased all the publishing, broadcasting, merchandising, and licensing ventures that bear her name and consolidated all of them into MSLO, that Omnimedia corporation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, smart move, And in nineteen ninety nine the company goes public and the share price more than doubles the first day of trading, and like a Smarty, she retains the most of the shares and served as chairman, president, and CEO.
Speaker 6: So things are going really well for Martha in the early two thousands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two thousand and one, Ladies home Journal names are the third most powerful woman in America, which isn't too shabby.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then a great honor is bestowed upon her when she is invited to join the New York Stock Exchange Board of Directors in June.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and two. But then, but then a doc chapter arrives.
Speaker 6: She resigns four months later when the Securities and Exchange Commission accuses Martha Stewart of violating inside trader rules, leading MSLOS share prices to plummet, and the TV show gets the acts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure most of you remember, or I don't know, maybe you don't, but she was under investigation for selling hundreds of shares of m Clone just before the FDA announced it was not approving the company's new cancer drug. So once that announcement came out, the value of the stock plummeted.
Speaker 6: And it just so happened that Martha Stewart, who was sitting on the Stock Exchange Board of Directors, obviously, you know, just kind of got rid of those cheers just to the nick of time.
Speaker 1: We don't know what happened, Nope, we don't. We don't claim to know what happened. But in June two thousand and three, an indictment charged her with securities fraud, obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and making false statements to prosecutors and the FBI. And while she pleaded innocent to all charges and a judge eventually dismissed the securities fraud charge, a jury found her guilty of the rest and she was sentenced to five months in prison and fined thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: And I remember just how the media was fascinated by this Martha stear thing because it's in such stark contrast to this perfect kind of homemaking.
Speaker 4: You know, let's make our own stationary and make a little little little stamps and send letters to friends.
Speaker 6: And now she's sitting in the courtroom with Alexis, her daughter, faced in the front row.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think it just it showed that there was a lot more to Martha Stuart than maybe we all assumed. She really is a tough, hard nosed business woman and who just so happens to have shows and radio programs and magazines about like traditionally feminine soft pursuits like crafting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which is interesting because you know, this whole time she's single, it's not like she's actually homemaking in that kind of traditional sense of the word.
Speaker 4: But more there was an argument.
Speaker 6: That it's the kind of homemaking skills that Martha Stewart practices are okay in terms of gender politics because she's doing it for herself.
Speaker 1: Right, Because it's not as if she's Her shows and magazines are about making dinner every single night and doing the laundry and everything. It's more of a creative homemaking stuff to satisfy yourself. Right.
Speaker 6: But after Martha Stewart serves her five months in jail, she immediately sets out rebuilding her brand and getting herself back out into the public eye and connecting with her fans. And it's kind of incredible to see how she almost immediately, I guess, refurbishes her reputation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she gets a weekly call in show on serious satellite radio. She puts out new books, The Martha Rules, the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook, and the Homekeeping Handbook. And I'm just wondering, was she just really busy, I guess during her incarceration, just like I'll just write all this stuff while I'm well, I'm in the clink.
Speaker 4: Well it provided.
Speaker 6: As Alexis Stewart tells New York Magazine, at one point she said, the five months were actually great.
Speaker 4: Because it was the most free time.
Speaker 1: It was enforced rest, right, So it's.
Speaker 6: Actually not that surprising that she comes out with all of these books right after it.
Speaker 1: Look what she can do when she can take some time off, Yeah, create all this stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But within a year of her release, MSLO returned to profitability, So that's a huge turnaround.
Speaker 6: And then in September of twenty eleven, she returned to the board of MSLO, which was the marking the end of a five year band that she had from serving on any kind of board or as executive of a public company as part of her settlement with the SEC over her insider trading charges. So obviously, on paper, Martha Stewart is an incredibly savvy businesswoman who started out with a catering business in her basement, and you know, is now the head of this multimillion dollar corporation, and she somehow recovered from going to jail over insider trading charges.
Speaker 4: But the real question on my mind, and probably on listeners' minds.
Speaker 6: Too, is what does Martha Stewart really mean maybe for women in general, like that whole question of whether or not all of these.
Speaker 4: All that good housekeeping that she.
Speaker 6: Espouses, if it's worth our time, the kind of time that you obviously have to dedicate on a Tuesday to making chicken stock, to freeze.
Speaker 4: Things like that.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's like, is it realistic? That's kind of Martha Stewart fantasy.
Speaker 1: Right, and New York The New York Times magazine did ask her that, I mean, is it the best use of modern women's time to make pillows out of their husband's old shirts? And she she kind of got a little a little defensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was icy with that question.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you could you could feel the frost on that piece of paper while it was on my computer, but you get the idea. But yeah, she was basically arguing that that's not really the issue. It's if people enjoy it and want to be creative. It's better to make a pillow out of a shirt than having it end up on the trash heap.
Speaker 4: Right, or going and buying a pillow. The whole kind of diy type.
Speaker 6: Of thing that she you could say, she's partially responsible for kicking off.
Speaker 1: But don't call her a feminist.
Speaker 6: No, No, she had an interesting thing to say about feminism and male ambition and female pursuits. She said, quote, I don't think in a male or female way. I don't differentiate between male and female.
Speaker 4: I never have.
Speaker 6: I'm not considered a feminist. Do we really need to waste time saying I'm a feminist. I never thought about glass dealings. I never thought about glass floors me neither. That sounds dangerous.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about how.
Speaker 6: Many pies I can come up with for my Pies and Tarts book. Those are all original ideas.
Speaker 1: So here she's saying, why bother talking about whether I'm a feminist or whether you're a feminist or feminism in general. Just do what you're doing, and I'm not gonna lie. I mean, I thought it was an interesting point. I thought it was kind of refreshing in a way. I think she's doing incredible things for a woman, you know, running this company. She had her hand in just everything. It's it's I think it's really impressive. It's just kind of like, oh, wow, you're you're pretty. I don't know, does it seems like she's against feminism or she just doesn't even want to bother with it.
Speaker 4: I think I can.
Speaker 6: I think it's an issue of not wanting to bother with it, because it's it's the whole argument of is this so impressive.
Speaker 4: That I've done this? Because I've done this as a woman.
Speaker 6: If I were a man running the same company, you wouldn't be so blown away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you wouldn't be asking me these same questions.
Speaker 6: So it's it seems like it may be ticked off a thing in her brain, and she's like me.
Speaker 1: Pies and tart. I'm just I am a mogul who makes pie. Just leave me alone. And you know, glass floors, stay off them.
Speaker 6: And Anne Mason and Marian Myers and two thousand and six conducted in depth interviews with ten Martha Stewart fans to kind of.
Speaker 4: See if they could get into.
Speaker 6: The why of her appeal, especially because there is that whole fantasy aspect of it. I mean, how many parodies have we seen of Martha Stewart and her incredibly lofty crafting projects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't pursue them, like I said, I mean, the magazine intimidates me.
Speaker 6: Just looking at the cover, right, because it is a lot to live up to, but apparently, according to these in depth interviews, that is part of the appeal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Much of what they say is that much of what Stuart presents in her media has traditionally been considered quote unquote women's work. But she's she's presenting it in a different way. And we kind of touched on this earlier. It's it's giving women, as they say Mason and Meyer say, it's giving women the permission to be interested in the domestic arena because she's not doing like like we said earlier, it's not like her show is about doing the laundry and separating the whites and the darks. It's it's something that maybe women can be like, Oh well I do like crafts, Yeah, I do like baking. Why should I feel like I'm not being a feminist or not being powerful or not making myself happy? You know, I just want to make pies?
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: I mean there's a definite value to that, and that it's not like you have to in order to accept feminist ideology, you have to reject X activities.
Speaker 1: Right, just like traditional traditional women's.
Speaker 4: Roles, you can be a feminist baker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And the Myers and Mason concluded that Stuart plays three main roles in the lives of the super fans. It encourages the fantasy of an upper class lifestyle of elegance and luxury, obviously because you know that's really the only way you would have time to do all the things on her to do list. It provides an escape from the daily lives, validating the women's interests in domesticity.
Speaker 4: And it also fosters.
Speaker 6: Creativity and feelings of accomplishment and pride among those who complete projects and recipes. And I have endless admiration for friends of mine who are crafty and handy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I am not.
Speaker 1: I can't draw anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I enjoy cooking, But when it comes to crafting.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I can't cut a straight line.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I blame that though on me being left handed with scissors.
Speaker 1: I blame it on I have nothing to blame it on.
Speaker 4: I just try you use a steak knife instead of scissors.
Speaker 1: Construction, stab the paper, tear with my teeth. But these two writers point out that not only is Martha Start providing all of these outlets for your creativity and your and your baking tendencies, but she's giving you a lot of ways to do it. Yeah. Because of her radio shows and her books, and her magazines, and her TV shows and now her daughter's show and and all this stuff, you have the ability to watch or listen or read whenever you want kind of and and make it fit your lifestyle.
Speaker 6: And she has such a big emphasis on organization and play and scheduling.
Speaker 4: I'm sure those are a number of lessons that I could probably learn from Martha Stewart.
Speaker 6: And Joan Holloway and Rachel Moseley write about Martha Stewart as well and feminism and popular culture, and they claim that she is a housewife who is not a housewife, which I think is an interesting point, and also that her world is a sublime reversal of the feminist domestic labor debate in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming by opening up.
Speaker 6: That door to allow saying it's okay to appreciate certain aspects of domesticity while still being an independent, multi millionaire woman running her own empire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I would.
Speaker 6: Argue that in the real world, as opposed to the Martha world perhaps, and Crafters and other people out.
Speaker 4: There listening, I'm very curious to get your in your feedback on this.
Speaker 6: But I would argue that in the real world, perhaps the echo of Martha Stewart is the whole rebirth of and DIY and Etsy and huge projects like that.
Speaker 1: It seems to have, I don't know, benefited a lot of women's lives. Yeah, and men sure are they're crafty men. Yeah, yeah, I mean if she, if she inspires anyone to follow their interests, that's great. I happen to have a couple of friends who make really neat things on Etsy. I can't do it, but I admire them for doing it. M hm. So I think all in all, we can say that Martha Stewart's a pretty polarizing figure. She sort of reminds me of Oprah in in some ways. How some people love her and some people just can't stand her. And you know, she shapes maybe what people are are interested in by what she presents her in her media.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean it's kind of this thing of is she.
Speaker 7: The champion of crafting in a rebirth and appreciation of DIY and domesticity, or is she, as she's been called, an uber wasp and chief executive housewife archetype of white femininity and immigrant.
Speaker 1: Dream A nice quote. Yeah, So what do you think? Do you like do you like Martha? Do you do you follow her shows? Do you do her crafts, baker pies and tarts? Or are you like weird? Does she creep you out? I don't know any any thoughts at all, anywhere in between.
Speaker 4: You can send them our way. It's mom stuff at HowStuffWorks dot com, or if you would like to send us a hen crafted letter on on balsam wood stationery, we have an.
Speaker 6: Snale mail address too that you can find at HowStuffWorks dot com.
Speaker 4: And in the meantime, we got a couple of letters here printed out on copy paper white.
Speaker 6: I've got one here from Sarah and this was in response to our man flu episode in which we mentioned something called cytomegalovirus and she writes it was treated with some disdain in your man flu episode. And this was disappointing because according to the March of Dimes, it is the most most common congenital infection in the United States, as forty thousand.
Speaker 4: Babies are born with CMB.
Speaker 6: This will cause mental retardation in a whole host of disabling conditions. In four thousand of them. On a personal note, from age thirteen to sixteen, I lived with a stepbrother who was one of those four thousand. He's few years older than me and suffered moderate mental retardation as well as hearing loss and mildfoot and like deformities. Throughout the time he lived with us, he watched both myself and his biological sister go through all the typical.
Speaker 4: Teenage milestones, knowing that he would never experience them for himself.
Speaker 6: He was just intelligent enough to know that he had problems and that he would never be able to live a normal life. At one point, he asked why he had to be born with all of this and how his life was.
Speaker 4: Going to be, and he was very bitter most of the time.
Speaker 6: This had a huge impact on my views on abortion and was my first step towards feminism.
Speaker 4: So thanks for pointing that out.
Speaker 6: About cytomegalovirus CMB and you can find out more information about it at Marchofdimes dot com.
Speaker 1: From Morgan This is about our Imaginary Friend podcast, she said, I'm a girl, second child, and I had about twenty different imaginary friends. It could have been because I'm homeschooled and was lonely. I don't know, because my older brother had one as well. The one I remember most was a monster from the book There's a Nightmare in My Closet. I was very scared of it as a kid, but for some reason, I watched the movie and read the book thirty times a day. And how I got my imaginary friend was that I was in a car and it was very dark, and the monster smashed against the window and followed me home, and I was very scared, but he wouldn't leave me alone, so we became friends. Kind of strange, I guess, because he always protected me after we were friends. Thanks Morgan, I like that story so again.
Speaker 4: If you have any thoughts to send our away about Martha Stewart? Is she a good thing? Forgot to drop her key catchphrase this entire podcast? Yeah, is Martha Stewart a good thing?
Speaker 6: Let us know mom Stuff at housetuffworks dot com, or you can leave a comment up on our Facebook page or shout out on Twitter at moms Stuff Podcast, and you can also check out the blog during the week It's stuff Mom Never Told You at HowStuffWorks dot com.
Speaker 4: Be sure to check out our new video podcast Stuff from the future. Join how Stuff Work staff as we explore the most promising and perplexing possibilities of tomorrow. The House Stuffworks iPhone app has a rived.
Speaker 7: Download it today on iTunes, brought.
Speaker 4: To you by the reinvented twenty twelve camera. It's ready, are you