Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's filled Courtney with an army of normal folks. And now we continue with part two of our conversation with Alice Marie Johnson, right after these brief messages from our generous sponsors. You know, the daughter of a woman who grew up a sharecropper and probably the granddaughter of slaves, if I'm doing the your mother was probably the granddaughter of actual slaves, right right, who somehow found the good in all people. I guess that DNA that filtered down to her daughter doesn't surprise me that you would skip in prison. She would find some light in the darkest places. And so what you do in prison?
Speaker 2: I started writing plays and writing plays, writing plays. That's hilarious because I've always loved to write. Yeah, And before I went to prison, I did a few little short things at church, nothing very long, but I would hear people. I just started writing because that was the way that I would deal with stuff. And I wrote. I started writing little skits and putting on shows in prison. But the actual first thing that I did, because they put me in BT's vocational technical. Because this woman is unusual, she knows. I taught typing, I taught computers.
Speaker 1: You taught other inmates.
Speaker 2: Other inmates.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not everybody that you're around is in for life in twenty five. Some got three four five a year, So you start teaching.
Speaker 2: To go to get out. My role was to prepare them for re entry, so I helped them redo theirs.
Speaker 1: The prison give you this.
Speaker 2: They gave me that role. I worked in vocational technical and it's something how once people realize that you can do things, they'll give you more to do.
Speaker 1: And experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they realized that once I saw one person struggling with their resume, and I wrote them a fire resume, and then I got the newspaper and said, these are the jobs that you should apply for. They said I don't. I say, yes, you do, and so they started using me more and more. But then I noticed that the women who had long sentences like myself couldn't take the classes, and so.
Speaker 1: They were like, don't waste the time on them, because so is that why?
Speaker 2: That was exactly why they said.
Speaker 1: They're not them a little hope? That was my.
Speaker 2: Question is how do you tell a woman not to hope? How do you tell a person not to prepare for a future. So the warden there she really liked me. I went to her ward Yeah, the warden, Oh, the warden, the warden, the warden, because she had seen things I was doing in prison. I was really trying, trying, and so I wrote it up as a complaint. I found a complaint about that. She calls me to her office and I explained why she looked at me. She said, no, Alice, she said, missus Johnson. She said, you know, miss Johnson. I thought about what you said. You're right, I said, you know, warden, her name was warden. Rees. If you allow the women to take these classes who have long sentences, a lot of them are getting in trouble because they don't have anything to look forward to in prison. They were getting getting in trouble in prison because they're they are shone, not allowed opportunities. So for someone who's already broken and you're breaking them more, making them feel worthless.
Speaker 1: Is actually in a prison in prison.
Speaker 2: In a prison in prison. So it changed things on that compound.
Speaker 1: It really did, because the long, the long sentenced women, regardless of what their crime was and what they did, if you gave them something to do and to feel effective and purposeful, they quit acting out as much as prison because they had something to look forward to.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and so from speaks to humanity. It really does. When you can look at someone and say you have value, you have work. And even the place that I put on, many of the women had never heard applause in their life. What mean they have?
Speaker 1: They have never been applause, They've.
Speaker 2: Never been applauded. No one has ever given them applause. So to do their part good, to sing, to have their artwork on display. Because I didn't do mediocre stuff. I would do pageantry. It would look as if they were going to a theater on the outside. And when I went to the next prison.
Speaker 1: It hold it. How long were you at that prison?
Speaker 2: Only a year? And I shook it. I turned it upside down.
Speaker 1: That's phenomenal. We interviewed. Now. I can't help it, but you're reminded me of so many things. Dub Ellinger is a woman in Detroit who serves food and has homes for trafficked and pimped women in Detroit. And the way she finds them is she literally goes out into the streets and gives them sandwiches and food and clothes. And if only for fifteen or thirty minutes, those women opens up, have someone to talk to, and they eventually open up. But the thing she says that she makes she does every time before she leaves, and she looks everyone was on in my eyes, and she said, you were loved by God and your life has value, and when you want to get out of this life, there are people that care enough to help you find that value. And then they leave. And she said, eventually they come to her and they get out of that life because they've just never been told by anybody that they have value. And you say, it's the same thing. These people have never been applauded, they've never been graduated, they've never felt good about themselves, they've never been recognized. The power of that.
Speaker 2: The power of even encouragement of showing love to someone else who don't even love themselves. When I left there after being there a little over a year, I was at Carswell, the next prison for fifteen years. And where was that in Texas? Fort Worth? When I got there, it was so depressing. So many women were in wheelchairs, some were blind, some had no legs, some of them were mental. In the hospital part. So this was FCI Federal Correctional Institute medical It was a medical center, but they had built high rises because the female population was exploding and less than at that time it was five years, but in ten years it had increased by eight hundred percent women and they didn't have enough prisons, so they had to build high rises at other prisons to bring women in. And we were quadruple, quadruple buk four of us in this little tight space that you can't even stand side by side.
Speaker 1: That's going on in our society, that our prison population has increased by eight hundred percent.
Speaker 2: This should tell you something. In the United States, we account for less than six percent of the world population, but we incarcerate twenty five percent of the world population. It's our laws, to be honest with you. A lot of it is driven by the private prison industry, their stock. When things fail. In two thousand and eight when everything was crashing, you know what went up, prison stock. It's like trading humanity as.
Speaker 1: A tougher laws. Of course, of course they have.
Speaker 2: They are a very strong group because in their contracts when they get a federal contract a private prison facility, in the contract, they're guaranteed ninety percent of the bids would be filled. And if it drops to eighty percent, then the government has to pay them what they're losing. So it's like, are they going to lobby against themselves. It's not right, but it's what. It's one of the things. And there are so many laws on the books now. The reciptivism rate, even when people get out, is so easy to make have a technical violation and be locked back up again. But my life at Carswell, at that medical center totally changed because there's a whole building with unhealthy women. There's a floor of women who are dying. There's a hospice unit. I ended up taking hospice training when I discovered that unit, and I would many times they would allow them when they got to the end of their days, at the very end, they would give them the opportunity to ask for an inmate to sit with them. Because I was a volunteer, i got trained. I never thought i'd do something like that. So I was so busy because so many of them would ask for me to sit with them.
Speaker 1: And so when you shot, while they died.
Speaker 2: I sat with them. I'd read to them, I sing to them why because I was given I was sold that I was going to die. But not just because of that. To be alone and to die alone with no family around you, to me, was about the worst thing. They didn't come there to die, they got sick or they came in sick, and that was the only medical facility for women in the country, so if you were dying, you had had to come to carswell, so.
Speaker 1: You got transferred there because the population was the prison population was exploding and it had empty beds.
Speaker 2: It had empty beds, so.
Speaker 1: You went there to keep the numbers up.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, a lot of women were still and what they called the pipeline. They were in county jails and so they could and be moved to a federal facility because it wasn't there weren't enough, so they had to build more so they could get the women out of the jails and get them into a prison cell on federal property. So really for me, sitting with women, it was an honor for me to be able to help someone transition. But it also became when my father passed away, I had to stop because it was too emotional for me to be with them because my father died suddenly while I was gone.
Speaker 1: You said, you never thought you'd find yourself working in hospice, but you did it because you just never wanted to see anybody pass alone, right, which is so kind really, the depth of your kindness, I think again, that's some of your mama's DNA coming out in you. But there's this one particular story of a Catholic woman that was in hospice I think in Texas, right right, share that with us well.
Speaker 2: Previously, I would always work in the chapel, volunteering. I'd find my way back to the chapel, so I knew about the songs that they would sing. And every time I would have a new patient, I'd call her my patient in hospice. I'd find out, what is your faith? Because I want to read to them, I want to do something for them. I want to honor their faith. Yes, And so this particular woman, she was in a komatose appearance. Her mouth was opened, her eyes were staring blankly, and when I arrived there to sit with her, they told me that she couldn't hear and that she didn't understand, that she wasn't comprehending anything. She was in a coma, basically a komatose state, and her family were no longer visiting her because they couldn't stand to see her looking like that. So I found out she was Catholic, so I just started singing to her. I was singing a lot to the women, or i'd read from their passages. I'd keep them, you know, I'd just communicate with them anyway. And so while I'm singing ten pea dad, which is Lord, have mercy, I'm singing, Oh Lord, have mercy, Oh Lord have mercy. As I'm singing Oh Lord, have mercy on me, a tear started running down her face, and I walked over to her and I started singing again. I stopped for a moment, and I said, can you hear me? I said, do you understand what I'm saying? I said, if you do, blink once, and she blinked, and I said, do you want your family to come and visit? I said some other things, but I had her blinking. So I ran out and got the nurse and I told her that this woman is she can hear, she understands. She literally was trapped in her body, and they contacted the doctor and then they did some other tests with her with the same blinking, and her family was able to come back to see her, and they spent the last days with her, and so was that was just really the.
Speaker 1: Power of And if you don't think you can make light in the darkest of places like prison, that story is metaphorically. I mean, you were able to reunite a dying woman with her family when even the trained professionals said she was catatonic. They did, and through just some genuine care, compassion and love, you were able to communicate with I was.
Speaker 2: Able to communicate with her. They knew me for sitting with the women when they were in hospice in the Foundays. So many women had the opportunity to ask for a special one of the special volunteers. That's who they want with it. So I spent a lot of time in hospice because a lot of them wanted me to sit with them. I held their hands.
Speaker 1: So here's an interesting thing I read that you did. I think when in Texas Special Olympics in Texas or Housville.
Speaker 2: It was in Texas.
Speaker 1: It's Texas. You wouldn't think of Special Olympics in federal prison. But somehow I guess when you make plays and everything else you did in prison, why not the Special Olympics. But tell me about that.
Speaker 2: There had never been a Special Olympics in prison before.
Speaker 1: Well shocking, but you know, seeing the.
Speaker 2: Women who were on the fringes who were not involved with anything, I decided I want to help bring Special Olympics. So we created I helped coordinate events for them. Even one of the women, I asked her Anna, I said, Anna, because she didn't have any legs, she had lost them in a car accident before prison. I said, what do you miss most about not having your legs? And she said, Miss Alice, I miss dancing. So I said, well, you're going to dance again. So for part of the entertainment for the Special Olympics, to honor them as they were getting their medals, Anna danced with me. I created a dance to the song never Give Up, and I taught her how to use her upper body, and as the other women used their legs and the upper body, she mimicked and she was in the circle. She was crying. It was so beautiful. The Special Olympics National heard about the Special Olympics that was being done in a prison, so I had no idea that they were coming out. So they came out to see our Special Olympics medals being awarded and they also saw the entertainment. They also saw Anna dance, and so they gave me an award called the Special Olympics Coordinator.
Speaker 1: Of the Year Award.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of anything like that. I think they made it up, Bill, just to give me something.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: The plays that I would write, I would have to do four performances. I would do one that was strictly for those in the medical building. If you saw how those women would dress up, they dressed up like they were going out on the town. Creases on everything, hair done, make upon. I'd put little flowers we'd have made on their wheelchairs. I used them in different rolls so that they could be a part of the rest of the community. But my life in prison, I can honestly tell you, Bill was not wasted. I was able to bring theater I discovered. I would hear they've told my sister, who's here with me today. Some of the women would tell her that Alice we were when we saw her coming. The first thing I say to them is the Lord has need of you. That was my getting them. I'd hear a voice in the in the dining room and I said, I need that's the exact voice I need for this role, and so the place became so huge that the people on the outside started getting tickets to come into the prison. I am not kidding.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: When I left, I just this last prison. I went to Aliceville. I got Alabama, in Alabama.
Speaker 1: Which is three and a half four hours southeast, So you got home.
Speaker 2: I got closer home. I was there five years cards well fifteen the other prison, you know, in some change a few months over those years everywhere at the different places. But I went back to Aliceville to be their keynote speaker at a graduation in October.
Speaker 1: We're going to get to that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So you're in Aliceville.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm in Aliceville, and you're.
Speaker 1: Still doing You're trying to make value of your life and affect positively this population that you're a part of. Right, They really which is incarcerated women.
Speaker 2: Incarcerated women. They really helped me though, Bill. It's something about when you serve other people, when you try to encourage them, you encourage yourself.
Speaker 1: Man. We talk about it every single show, But you get a thousand times more out of this kind of work than you put into it too.
Speaker 2: You honestly do.
Speaker 1: But you're doing that and you're an Aliceville, but you still you have no hope of getting out.
Speaker 2: No, I've been trying hope of.
Speaker 1: Life in prison. You're gonna make the best of it.
Speaker 2: But I never stop fighting. I was still foul emotions and getting denied. My family was still rock steady right there beside me, fighting with me. My daughters went to the White House to different convenience. My sisters were doing proud visuals, candlelight visuals, bringing attention. So I started, and.
Speaker 1: Nobody says you didn't deserve some jail time. Fortune I never say nobody. But all they're saying.
Speaker 2: Is it's too much life.
Speaker 1: And yet in twenty one years, seven months and ten days you released. Yes, how did that happen?
Speaker 2: I started speaking at different colleges.
Speaker 1: From prison, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. They skyped me into Yale University to speak to the law students and.
Speaker 1: You're speaking about prison reform.
Speaker 2: I'm speaking about clemency. I'm putting my face out here and telling my story.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that the prisons would have even allow you to do that.
Speaker 2: They did it, It wasn't. In fact, they would clear the room and they would tell the other prisoners be quiet because miss Johnson is speaking at this place, and of course.
Speaker 1: The prisoner knew who you were, so they would actually be quiet for you.
Speaker 2: Oh they did. They. I had a lot of children, because women at female prisons you don't really have gangs. You have families. And I had a bunch of kids.
Speaker 1: All right, So now you're from prison talking about clemency, prison reform, truth and sentencing.
Speaker 2: All of this, Students lost students that got you. The conspiracy, yeah, all that that ugly word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you're talking.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about this, but the prison said, miss Johnson, you will let you do these things as long as you don't speak negatively about the prison. Well, of course I'm not going to do that, because, like Joseph, everything that was done was placed in my hand because it would be excellent. Even the staff things that they're having events, get Miss Johnson to help with some ideals. I'd end up getting putting the whole thing together. And so I was no trouble. I was never been in trouble in prison. I was very trustworthy. The things that I did were putting plays on. None of that was ever for sale on the compound. I was squeaky clean, as they say, a model prisoner. I'm taking all these classes even though I have a life sentence. I'm leading the pack getting people to sign up for classes. I'm taking them electrical. I'm afraid of fire, and I take electrical.
Speaker 1: I said something I've always wondered, Do prison guards know what you did? Do they have your rap sheet? So even prison guards know.
Speaker 2: They wanted me to go home, That's my question. They did the prison guards when I came out, they were so happy, they were so happy.
Speaker 1: Prison the guards themselves knew.
Speaker 2: You today they didn't And every time they see someone get clemency, get free, they would be so sad and it's gonna be your time or either miss Appas say, got to see who you are. You have no business here and people. I think that gave people a hope too, because when they found out, the women who had short sentences found out that I had a life sentence, it was like, she's either crazy or.
Speaker 1: This lady's crazy. But anyway, you're speaking at college.
Speaker 2: I'm speaking at colleges. I spoke of a YouTube and Google event on criminal justice, and someone heard me speak. He said. He walked in late but when he walked in, he sees me up on this big screen. He hears my voice, and he said, we have got to get her to do a video op ed. Do you think that's possible. I had never done that before, but I did the video op ed. It went viral. I didn't even know what the word viral meant. I thought I had introduced the virus into the Internet.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is do you have access to that in the prison?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had. We had gotten video visitation, okay, and so that's what I would be in there doing it at a time that people weren't there.
Speaker 1: I got it. So this thing goes viral. It goes viral, and somebody whose name we.
Speaker 2: Heard, somebody whose name that many people know, saw it to second Day and she saw it and she tweeted out, this is so unfair. She retweeted it, and it went from being viral to Kim Kardashian made it go superviral, over ten million views, and she contacted her attorney to find me to ask me if I wanted to get out of jail, wanted her to hire her to get me out of jail. I saidt me think about it, yes, And so you know, the rest is kind of history.
Speaker 1: Kim, Well, hold it. There's a white Kim Kardashian cannot get you out of it.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm getting ready to tell you now, that history part. Kim contacted Ivanka Trump, who showed my case to jet and this is the first time that anyone has peeled back the layer and actually read what I did. And they went to work. They called themselves Team Alice. Kim hired new lawyers. She brought in new lawyers to put different set of eyes on it. She brought in a local attorney here in Memphis, Mike Show, to see what he could do through the courts. And the other three were to fight to help prepare clemency paperwork and fight for that. So for seven months they kept trying to get an audience with President Trump. On my birthday, they foundly Gadt and Kim and Sean Holly went to the White House and met with the President. And seven days later I was running across that road free.
Speaker 1: That day that that you have your prayers answered, and you, honestly, most people would have thought never happened, and you get out of prison. What was that like for you? Would it feel like.
Speaker 2: Well, the day that I got the news that I was getting clemency, it was Hamburger.
Speaker 1: Day, Hamburger.
Speaker 2: It was a Wednesday, and that's the only time that we got hamburger.
Speaker 1: So I was also a hamburger a treat.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it was a treat to get a hamburger.
Speaker 1: What was the other food?
Speaker 2: You don't want to know?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, mystery me.
Speaker 2: Hamburger, Hamburger and chicken Day. We're things that I look forward to. But I just wanted to feel normal, and the women were so excited because my face is all on the news, said it might happen today. And as soon as I took that bike bill, they called my name to return back to the unit. And when I got the news, it was Kim Kardashian who told me she thought I knew that I was going home. All the women were screaming because I was screaming, And an hour and a half later, I heard my name over the tercom Alice Marie Johnson report to R and D.
Speaker 1: What's R and D?
Speaker 2: It's released it it's where you get released from. I've forgotten what the das it's released. Everyone knows that R and D is where you are real.
Speaker 1: So the whole jail knew you're gone.
Speaker 2: They know they knew, so they were screaming. They had locked the whole compound down. I didn't know it that all these reporters were out there from all over the country. They had satellites, so they didn't want they had locked everyone down for me to walk across the compound. So when I started walking down the stairs, they started stomping. First, it was three building. It how sixteen hundred women told them, they're all stomping. They're stomping. And as I start going down the stairs, they could see me when I cause I was on the top. As I'm exiting my building, women in every window had their cups beating the window, and the stomping got louder and louder and louder. It really and truly sounded like an earthquake. It felt like the ground was shaking and they were being and it's almost like it with one chorus. They were screaming and crying, Miss Alice, please don't forget about us. And when I took my hands and put it over my heart and made the motion that I was ripping my heart out and throwing it to them, they went crazy. I'm telling you, Bill, I think the ground was moving. And as I walked out the door, the officers headed to R and D were lined up in two different lines on either side of the sidewalk, and they stood attention for me. You're kidding, I I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: What an honor that both inmates and guards alike celebrated your release.
Speaker 2: They did. And as we passed through the lower security facility, which was a camp, the same scene. All of the women had left out of the camp because it was a minimum out. They weren't locked up. They were all out there with the guards. They were waving once again, guards standing as I'm passing by, and the women were screaming, saying I love you, miss Alice. Don't forget about us. Even one of the ladies who came has come home now. I didn't know what happened, but she fainted.
Speaker 1: She was so overcome, And you made good on your word. You hadn't forgot about it.
Speaker 2: I have not fighting every day, for fighting every day for.
Speaker 1: Do you pinch yourself?
Speaker 2: I do still. I'm gonna tell you, Bill, the thing that really lets me know that I'm really free, it's when I wake up in the morning. I do this every morning. I don't just jump up unless the phone is ringed on some crisis is going on. I just lay in my bed and look at the ceiling. I do this every single morning. I look at the ceiling because along looking in a bunk bed over my head, and that kind of centers me that I really am free.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after twenty one years, seven months and ten days in prison that you might should have been in prison for two years for maybe do you ever dream or have flashbacks that you're still there?
Speaker 2: Yes, I do.
Speaker 1: That's trauma, it is.
Speaker 2: There are certain things that I didn't realize how badly I could be triggered, because when I came out, I immediately started fighting for the freedom of others. Sometimes when I read others cases to really get into the meet of how I'm going to fight for them, that would trigger me into a nightmare. Something that gave me one of the worst nightmares though, was on October the seventh.
Speaker 1: Of what year this year? Okay, the war?
Speaker 2: When I saw the captives. I went to bed and I was.
Speaker 1: Sweet, mean Israel and you saw the the Hamaska is catching the Israel.
Speaker 2: Yes, when I saw this woman they had captured, and I was shaking. I went to sleep that night and I was that woman and I woke up. That was the first time I have not just had a regular nightmare, but had a crying, such a crying nightmare. I was so broken. I woke myself up sobbing from seeing that.
Speaker 1: There's a reason, I asked, I have to believe that that's largely universe among people who spent an extended period of time in jail.
Speaker 2: It has it. There's no way that you can. It is trauma to spend that time in prison and to think that you just come out and you can you know, some people say, don't look back. I have not only looked back, I've gone back.
Speaker 1: And how can you How can I get the I get the perspective of don't look back, your life's ahead of you whatever. But that's almost in the same vein of if you're broken of the hood and you want something off of your life, just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Which that sounds good, sounds good, but that ain't the way it works.
Speaker 2: It's not. Because we're hereing and we have memory, you can't. I can't just erase my memory. But for me, Bill, I actually did find purpose in prison. I actually did find forgiveness others and forgiveness for myself too, having gone there and been away from my children.
Speaker 1: So when we first started talking, I said, repeated, actually, something you told me before we went live, which is your story is phenomenal. And everybody who's listened every day we've talked about right now, not only is it a lesson of redemption, it's a lesson of forgiveness, self forgiveness, determination, being steadfast. It's a lesson of egos and family and addiction, sorrow, loss of a child. It's just, you know, your life is a lesson of just so much. But when I asked you to put it in an elevator, bitch, you said, and I'll repeat now, you want to humanize those who are current society doesn't often necessarily humanize. And the reason I asked you do you have flashbacks of the trauma of incarceration. Everything else is because we talk about recidivism and why And you know, the same PTSD that affects marines and folks in our army when they come back from war and they have a problem reacclimating back to a non military society. That PTSD of that and a former incarcerated returning citizen. The two PTSDs are different, for sure, and the circumstances under which those people receive that trauma is different. I'm not likening someone who served our country in the military to a prisoner in that regard, but the level of PTSD can be the same. It can be and re entry and getting rid of that trauma, even though you owed a data society, once that debt society is paid. Where's society are supposed to be forgiving? We're society are supposed to say, Okay, you did your job, you did your time, But how does that person reacclimate and how can they reacclimate when they are not in fact.
Speaker 2: Humanost That's true. That's why I believe that I've been given this honor of this huge platform because of the way that I came home, the people who was involved when I came home, but also the work that I've done since I came home. I made a promise to the women when I left that I would never forget about them. I would never stop fighting for them. That fight includes fighting for their children too, to stay out of not to go to prison, And so I've really lived up to that. I've been honored all over the world. Honored at the United Nations as one of four women's rights defenders, the only one from North America on International Women's Day. I've been honored by Ebony magazine as one of the one hundred most Powerful Blacks of America. I've spoken on the Essence Power stage. I've spoken in other stages. I went to Tokyo not long ago and someone, one of the Dignitary's wives, recognized me and invited me to come back and help them lunch. Criminal Justice Reform for women the first one. So my voice has reached many. My fight has been sincere There's no way that I could go come out of that and just go and just live life and have a good time and know that there are people, women and men who are depending upon me to be out here reminding people that there are people just like me, that I'm not unique. There are other people too who deserve a second chance. We are a country that extends we want grace. We are a country of second chances, a country that believes in redemption, but somehow bill when it comes to prisoners, that same grace is not extended. Instead of saying this person by their name. They'll say that's a bank robber, and then they dropped their heads in shame. Or that was that former drug dealer. I saw some kids, some young men, when I first got on what they call kan air. This young man looked in my eyes. I was on my way to prison, and he didn't even look as though he was old enough to shave. He would shockle because we had wig shackles, rich shackles, ankle shackles. Some had on black boxes also, and our eyes caught for just one moment. I wish I knew that could find that young man, because it was that look in his eyes and that just tear that rolled. He couldn't stop it, just looking at me. I don't know who I reminded him of. And then he just shook his head and he kept shuffling on back to the back of the plane as we were being transported. I never forgot his face and the look in his eyes, and I thought that was some kid. I don't know what he did, but somewhere someone dropped him and then pick him up. He fell through somebody's crack.
Speaker 1: He probably never heard any applause.
Speaker 2: She probably never heard it any applause. And I have thought about him over the years, over and over, and sometimes Bill, when I'm so tired, I can put images back in my head that keeps driving me because I've been given the gift of freedom.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about the importance of the First Step Act.
Speaker 2: The First Step Act was actually the first, the most significant criminal justice reform in thirty years, and bipartisan.
Speaker 1: By the way, look what our country did. They got bipartisan at least one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the reason they called me the face of it because my release. When people saw me, when the president saw me, it changed hearts because I was not the stereotypical.
Speaker 1: And ironically enough, this President Trump were talking about. Yes, and a very divided, democratically controlled Congress that we're talking about, they came together.
Speaker 2: To overwhelmingly passed it. And even when President Trump was endorsing it, he said, I asked for sentencing reform because I don't want there to be another Alice Johnson. And for that, over thirty thousand people have come home early. And contrary to what is being said, they are not the reason for the crime problem.
Speaker 1: They're not, really, they are not.
Speaker 2: So let me give you these statistics. Please do of crime that has taking place in America. Those who came out on the First Step Act account for point zero one four three percent, not even a half a point point zero one four percent of the people who are incarcerated are going to one day come home because they're going to be finished with their sentences. Would you rather them come out through the First Step Act? That make sure that they have gone through re entry programs, they're prepared to re enter society. They don't just open the door and say go home on the First Step Act. They have to be carefully vetted to make sure that they don't pose a safety risk in the community, to make sure that they have the skills necessary to get a job. They connect them with others out there. They do a lot of things for the people coming home on the First Step Act. So, for those who are crying to repeal the First Step at it is idiocracy, It is insane.
Speaker 1: It is duplicit as stupidity. It is for anyone, and it's I know somewhere there's power and money behind those decisions, because it's always got vower money.
Speaker 2: It's got to be.
Speaker 1: But I couldn't agree with you more. It is stupid because if you're let out under the First Step Act, you were probably going to be cleaner than folks that had ever served any time. You do it right.
Speaker 2: Their recentivism rate is less than a fourth of those who are coming home anyway, and many of those are technical violations that send them back to prison. They would want everyone to go through what the people have to go through who come out on the First Step Act. So I I'm really champion championing their causes in the process of telling the stories success stories of people who've came out and made good of their second chance, because somehow we have got to come back the narrative that we need to go back to a punitive and not a restorative type of model, because that is what we need in this country right now. We are not the worst country in the world, but our criminal justice issues sure to the rest of the world, says that we are the most evil counture in the world to incocerate twenty five percent of the whole world. I am not a hopeless person, me neither. I still believe. I still believe in this nation.
Speaker 1: We can't fix though what we don't understand.
Speaker 2: We can't. But you know it starts with us.
Speaker 1: You mean normal folks. Folks, we'll be right back. Tell me about TAG.
Speaker 2: TAG is an organization that I formed in twenty twenty when KOBD hit because I was working on clemings. Yes, and I had to be able to find the people. It's called taking action for good. And I was able to help so many people get their freedom because they found me. I didn't have to go out and find them. And then once I started seeing success, the first three people who I helped gain their freedom with three of my good friends in prison who didn't even know I was working to help them gain their freedom. Wow, And I started getting all of these petitions. No they have not you know, we don't allow them to.
Speaker 1: What do you do? Do not allow them to?
Speaker 2: The ones who have come home, they become mentors for the ones who are just coming home, so they have contact, they have someone that they can ask what do I do in this situation? That absolutely, but just even more so than that, they were so vetted and we were so connected with their families. And even now I've met with different governors. I met with one governor and I spoke talk to him about Jerryatric clemency for those who've aged out of criminality who posed no risks, and he let them go on his way out the door. And I've been able to meet It's something when you meet with someone, you look them in their eyes and you remind them, remind them because some have had a bad experience and they forget that we live in an imperfect world. It's so easy to say, this one over here came out in the First Ship Act. Let me hold this up as a reason you don't need to do it. Or this one over here reoffended. Let me hold this up. So easy to become jaded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one in.
Speaker 2: Not many, but it's easy to become jaded.
Speaker 1: I want to give you an opportunity to speak to the devil's advocate that I'm going to give you right now. Okay, crime is out of control in many of our cities, and in Memphis it's up, and I mean it's up. It's up New York, it's up, Chicago, it's up. Crime is up. I mean the fact is, crime is up, and the criminals are getting younger and younger, and frankly, it's a little scary. It's getting more and more violent at a lot of places. And we see stories all the time of smashing grabs, and in San Francisco, thirty people breaking out the door of Macy's and running in and grabbing stuff and leaving, and jewelers getting broken in the middle of the day and they're smashing a grabbing and taking jewelry. And you know, at some point, a law abiding, tax paying trying to do it right, raise your children, do the right thing. Citizens world surrounded by all of us, gets scared. And when they're scared, they default to the easy thing, which is Bill mooregells, lock them up and keep them there forever, because you can't do anything well. Quote these people you want to speak to.
Speaker 2: That to paint everyone with this broad brush is so wrong And just like the failed I'm gonna repeat that again, the failed war on drugs, that is not the answer. That is not the answer with the smash and grabs. Is you've got to get in. We've got to not be afraid. We've got to take the lead us grown folks. We've got to take the lead. And it starts with one community at a time. So you see, we're looking at this as a whole and we think we can't do anything.
Speaker 1: It's a problem so huge, it's so.
Speaker 2: Big, fear will paralyze you from making that first step of just Okay, I'm gonna work in my neighborhood. I'm gonna start with my neighborhood. I'm not gonna try to solve the problems of every city in America. I'm gonna start with my neighborhood. And let's us gather these kids up. Let's us start doing something. Let's us start showing them a better way. Let us get in their heads, and let's find out what's driving them to do this. If you can break up the kids and not just let them go and say glad, it's not my kid, it is your kid, because it's your neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And it will be your problem, and.
Speaker 2: It will be your problem. We I'm gonna repeat what you what you saying for what ordinary people can do. I know the power of the ordinary person. We're not trying to be heroes, we're not trying to be famous. We're just trying to make whatever difference we can make. And it really it has to be us saying, yes, I'm tired, I'm scared, but that's fear. It's going to drive me to be a part of what's going to be the solution for Memphis.
Speaker 1: And clearly, if we're six percent of the world's population and have twenty five percent of the total prison population of the world and our crime is doubling, what we're doing now ain't working.
Speaker 2: It's not worth it.
Speaker 1: So just like the laws I talked about that keep families broke up, just like the truth and sentencing stuff that is scary, Just like the mandatory drug laws. Well intentioned, but they ain't working. So let's try something else.
Speaker 2: And there are answers, but each community has a different answer. Someone who's listening tonight is somebody's answer and they don't even realize it.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful one. I'm so inspired by you. What are you doing now? What are you doing today? What are you doing this week? What's on the agenda? What's next? Oh?
Speaker 2: My agenda. I have a big family, A lot of them are coming in for Christmas. Yep, we're gonna have Christmas Dinner together. Then we're gonna have two days later, we're gonna have a little Christmas swore. Ray for grown folks.
Speaker 1: You gotta be over.
Speaker 2: Thirty to come.
Speaker 1: There ain't nothing wrong with that. Can anybody in your family cook like your mama?
Speaker 2: I cook pretty good.
Speaker 1: Now, really, what you're cooking? Are you cooking for Christmas?
Speaker 2: I'm cooking turkey. I may make breads, I make desserts. I love to bake. So I'm a good old biscuit maker.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of them days they gonna come over to my house and they gonna have some salmon crow kiss and biscuits and some smothered potatoes and pork chops smothered and gravy.
Speaker 1: My wife, Yeah, make some of the best fried pork chops. Oh, I love it, Bravy. I can need a mess of out until I want to die. That's so good, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Bill, I really I know you asked me a little bit, but I just would like to ask the listeners if they like to support some of the work that I do.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm going next.
Speaker 2: But support us at Taking actionfo good dot org.
Speaker 1: If someone wants to get involved with you, how do they reach you?
Speaker 2: They can reach me through I tech website. Just shoot me a note. I can put them to work.
Speaker 1: If someone out there has someone that's been in prison far too long for something that they got it not that they didn't earn the charge, but the sentencing is too long and they're languishing in prison for something that they have served their time for. Can they reach out to you and find out how to absolutely.
Speaker 2: Can taking actionfo good dot org. They can email tell us about the case. Someone will answer them and I'll get some details for them. But we really do need some support right now because we are scaling up because my next frontier, in addition to that, is going to be I'm coming for the children to help them. I want to be part of the answer right here in Memphis, righting Olive Branch. I want to be someone's answer.
Speaker 1: The power of an army of normal people, from the daughter of a sharecropper to someone who's been in front of the United Nations and governors and Kim Kardashian and the Trumps and was the center of probably the most effective bipartisan legislation we've had. We've figured out how to muster in the last eight years. Alice Johnson, you are amazing. You're redempt of your inspirational and I just cannot thank you for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Coach Bill. I didn't expect to have this honor, to be right here with mister undefeated himself. For Goshlcolm, Look, I'm telling you. I'm telling you I'm a little starstruck.
Speaker 1: Dope be starstrucks, Yes, a little bit. Thanks for thanks for being with us, and Merry Christmas and Happiness Christmas to you too. Thank you, and thank you for joining us this week. If Alicebrae Johnson or another guest has inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by donating, to taking action for good, by serving prisoners, by fighting for criminal justice reform, or something else entirely, please let me know. I'd love to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normalfolks dot us, and I'm telling you I will respond and keep emailing us all the story ideas. It's been unbelievably helpful and satisfying to tell these stories that come organically from you the army. And if you enjoyed this episode, share it with friends that are on social, subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it, become a premium member at normalfolks dot us. All of these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney. I'll see you next week.