Speaker 1: Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Happy new Year. By the way, we are taking a little bit of time off here and we wanted to give you some of our favorite classic episodes. We called this one the Atomic Whoops, which is still a hilarious title.
Speaker 2: And it's hilarious. We've been in the spirit of reflection in this new year. Can you believe we've been doing this show for like, what more than five years?
Speaker 3: At this point, I think we're coming up on six years. I mean no, this was gonna be surprising to you because I think in April it'll be three years of me on the show. I don't believe it. It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: But you haven't only get rid.
Speaker 3: Of me yet.
Speaker 2: I we would never You're the soul of the show.
Speaker 1: The time lies by. And also it's what's great about this, what I think we're all thankful for, is that if you had if you had told us at the very beginning of this show the way our bosses did, that we'd only be doing this for six weeks, we would have said, that's a lot of time. But here we are, my friends, Max Doll, all our fellow Ridiculous Historians, we are having such a time we have so many adventures ahead and we are seeing so much ridiculous history. This story is about the time South Carolina was bombed not by enemy forces but by Uncle Sam.
Speaker 3: Yeah speaking, I think that don't make sense.
Speaker 2: The greg family of mars Bluff, South Carolina, was very much a where the Cold War was happening. They, however, did not realize that they were going to be kind of at the center of it. The ground zero, if you will, the X marks the spot and the cartoons where the bombs doth.
Speaker 3: Fall by accident. But boy, it was it a doozy and a real whoopsie for the US Air Force. Come dive in with us.
Speaker 1: Let's find out why we call it This episode the Atomic Whoops. Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio Boom or Not to Boom. Welcome to the show, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Ben.
Speaker 3: Ben. You startled me.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, nol. It was not my intention to startle you.
Speaker 3: You startled me so much that I forgot to announce my name. But you did it for me, so thank you for that. You know how you did that though you dropped a bomb on me.
Speaker 1: Ben, you dropped the bomb on me, all right, just go beat be And of course we would be remiss if we did not shout out our super producer, good friend Casey Pegram who is who is sipping the coffee and gave us a cheerful a cheerful nod and toast a good day, A good day. Yeah. And we're at the very end of the year as we record this.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, yeah, I mean the magic of podcast post production will be giving you this episode later, but it is in fact very close to the end of the year as we sit and record this right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And here in the podcast world, as we approach the end of the year, in vacation times and stuff, things can get a little hectic. So both of us are a little bit punchy and filled with some nervous energy as we're finishing everything up this week, right.
Speaker 3: Totally, And we can relate to this idea of multitasking and having to really scramble to get things done. And such was the case during the Cold War when America was gripped by paranoia surrounding a potential nuclear war with Russia, and part of that involved the clandestine transportation of atomic bombs over American soil. And again with that theme of multi ti asking and scrambling. Sometimes, you know, I mistakes are made.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Oh gosh, what an infamous understatement. Yes, sometimes mistakes were made. Multitasking is tricky. And when you feel like you are juggling something while you're driving something, while you're also doing a very difficult math in your head, maybe you begin to feel a little bit like something approaching a pilot.
Speaker 3: And imagine if one of those things you're juggling was a seventy six hundred pound or three point four metric ton nuclear warhead.
Speaker 1: Once upon a time, friends and neighbors. In January of nineteen fifty three, the greg family moved into a home in a rural part of eastern South Carolina, and it was on land that their family had owned for a century.
Speaker 3: Would you describe it as idyllic?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, boucolic. Even they had no idea that five years later they I would earn a very strange, distinctive, and dangerous honor by becoming the first and only American family to survive the first and only atomic bomb dropped on American soil by Americans.
Speaker 3: Our pal Laurie L. Dove wrote this great article for how stuff works. She did not bury the leave. The title of the article is the US Air Force dropped an atomic bomb on South Carolina in nineteen fifty eight, and that, friends, is the subject of today's story.
Speaker 1: And we want to be clear it is an accidental bombing. It wasn't as if the Air Force said, you know who's really bugging us? The Greg family.
Speaker 3: So on March eleventh of nineteen fifty eight, two of the children of Walter Greg Helen, aged six, and Francis, age nine, were playing with their nine year old cousin, Ella Davies. They were just paling around. They had a nice little playhouse in the backyard near a garden patch, and there Walter, along with their brother, Walter Junior. We're working on some projects in a nearby tool shed.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lovely day. Yeah, what could go wrong? You can almost hear the light music in the background right but elsewhere high in the air. At four nineteen pm, a member of the crew of the US Air Force B forty seven E bomber futs things up. A little mistakes were made, and the crew member accidentally released a nuclear weapon that landed on the girl's playhouse while they were about two hundred feet away and the family's nearby garden, creating a massive crater that was at a circumference of about fifty feet oh and was more than thirty feet deep out of nowhere. Just but you know, a more dramatic sound, Yeah, significantly more dramatic. This created like a shock wave that's cracked windows, was and shook homes in the nearby community of Mars Bluff, And it flattened this playhouse just to nothing, And there were chickens that were described as having been vaporized.
Speaker 3: And it basically just put a herding on their entire property. All of the buildings, their outbuildings became uninhabitable. It literally changed the slope of their land such that the foundation of the home was no longer secure. And it injured at least somewhat everyone around, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, luckily it was not a fatal injury for everyone. But it's difficult, although we laugh about it out, it's difficult to fathom the amount of emotional distress this would cause. Right, So, before we dive into detail about the specs and stats of this bomb, look at what was happening that day, Right, How did this crew get up in the air where they where were they coming from? Where were they going? Earlier that day, the crew was part of a training exercise that would require the bomb to be loaded into an airplane and flown from Savannah, Georgia, across the Atlantic to England. This was a mock mission. Think of it like a training exercise.
Speaker 3: The operation snow Flurry is what it was called.
Speaker 1: And so Captain Earl Koehler, who is the pilot, Captain Charles Woodruff who was the co pilot, Captain Bruce Kolka, the navigator, bombadier and crew chief Sergeant Robert Scriptalk had arrived at Hunter Air Force Base just outside of Savannah to fly in this operation Scriptalk.
Speaker 3: That is a fascinating sounding name.
Speaker 1: If it was just just Scriptalk instead of Robert Scriptalk, it sounds like a character in a sci fi fantasy film.
Speaker 3: You're like Star Trekers.
Speaker 1: Scriptoc, lord of the Igneous rock people.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: In this world. He's an Air Force pilot. So as Noel, as you said, what was the name of the operation again, Operation snow Flurry, Operation snow Flurry. They carefully load the bomb onto the plane, takes an hour. They put it into a shackle mechanism. That's designed to keep it in place, but they had a difficult time with a steel locking pin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they actually noticed that there was like a light, a fault light that started to glow, and that told them that the bomb's locking pin had not properly been engaged. So Navigator Captain Bruce Kulka went to take a look.
Speaker 1: So while Captain Navigator Captain Bruce Kolka is investigating this light and finding the source of the fault, he accidentally hit the emergency release pin as he reached around the bomb to pull himself up. The device hit the bomb bay doors.
Speaker 3: It wasn't really a pin, it was like a like a like a lever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And he when he did this, when he hit this, it forced the doors open. And can you imagine, noll, the look on this guy's face as he watched it leave the plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the way I've seen it is he was kind of crawling on top of the bomb, sort of had himself positioned like arms and legs spread, trying to get to this pin. And then when he sort of lost his footing, he reached out and grabbed this release lever, and all hell broke loose, and yeah, he Apparently as that bomb fell out from under him.
Speaker 1: He was left.
Speaker 3: He watched it, but he was left suspending himself from that handle and whatever else he had a foothold and a grasp on there and just watching, looking straight down as that bomb hit those bay doors. Eventually the weight forced them open and then it was bombs away.
Speaker 1: And we're very lucky that he didn't fall out as well, right, because he's as you said, he's standing there picture a letter X, just hanging out with nothing between the ground and himself except for a very dangerous drop through naked air.
Speaker 3: So back to the idyllic Greg family homestead, the children are playing, the boys and the father are at work in the shed for nineteen pm, right, and they look and they see this bomber flying overhead. But that would not have been an unusual sight at the.
Speaker 1: Time, especially not in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: Exactly, because these kinds of runs were pretty common. So when this chaos went down, mister Greg was quoted as saying he thought that the plane had crashed. Can you imagine just the chaos that would have ensued, and just not being able to fully wrap your head around what had happened, and just trying to figure out the possibilities in certain the first one the go to would not be Oh, the Air Force accidentally dropped an atomic bomb on my kid's playhouse.
Speaker 1: Right, And so, as we said, all five members of the family were injured, as was the cousin Ella, but they had no idea what was happening. Wasn't until later that night, where they were crashing at the house of their family doctor, that they learned it had been a bomb dropped by us, by the US Air Force.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing. The most serious injury sustained in this event was the cousin, who I think got somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty one Stitches. And you may ask, but Ben Noel, this was a nuclear warhead that was dropped on this family's house. Where's the mushroom cloud?
Speaker 1: What about the radiation?
Speaker 3: Where's the nuclear fallout?
Speaker 1: Why does Mars Bluff still exist?
Speaker 3: Where are the ghouls? Why is this not you know, like mad Max Overnight.
Speaker 1: Especially considering that this Mark six bomb was actually larger than its predace cess or the Mark four or fat Man used in World War Two.
Speaker 3: And the look of this thing is is is pretty cartoonish. It looks like kind of something that you would see in a Looney Tunes cartoon act printed on the side, or it makes me think of that scene in Doctor Strangelove where Slim Pickens rides the bomb cowboy style.
Speaker 1: Which could could have got close to doing exactly.
Speaker 3: Very very interesting and the same time period that's being described in that that paranoid cold war fear. But here's the thing. We did kind of bury the lead here a little bit. It turns out that in order to transport these weapons, they would be what's called safet in other words, they still had explosives in them, but they did not have that nuclear payload, that core of plutonium.
Speaker 1: And thank god, because as we said at the top, this was a mock mission. This was timed to see how how long the operation would take where it to happen in a genuine conflict. So they did safe it. But safeing it is not the same thing as just making it a dummy bomb. It did possess explosive power, it did explode, It did not, thank sweet Pete, contain any sort of nuclear payload.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that part was actually transported separately, which you know, good on you Air Force, smart smart smart going and you know, this thing did lead to updated security measures where it was absolutely required that these locking pins be in place at all times, even during takeoff and landing. I would think especially during David. I mean that's when I get dislodged, and you know they'd yell at us about our overhead luggage bins that may shift during takeoff and landing. Watch out. I would think it'd be pretty important to have that locking pin make sure that that bomb didn't shift during tankoff and landing.
Speaker 1: And in this mission in snow flurry, they actually jury rigged it a bit because they used a hammer to bang the pin in place.
Speaker 3: But imagine banging a nuclear warhead with a hammer.
Speaker 1: This is interesting because it may seem ridiculous to us now, but we have the benefit of hindsight in.
Speaker 3: A very real way.
Speaker 1: The technology behind nuclear weapon detonation changed as a result of this in a very very important fashion. So back in the fifties, in this time, one thing that's so scary about knocking this thing around with a hammer is that nuclear weapons had a trigger that compressed the uranium plutonium core to set off the chain reaction of a nuclear explosion, and things like this. Mark six that got dropped on the greg family homestead could be set off or triggered by concussion, which means anything from shooting it with a bullet, knocking on the ground, dropping it on a playhouse, dropping it on a playhouse. And so the bomb's trigger did explode when it hit the ground and hit the ground of the Gregs. The ground of the Gregs, I'm feeling that one if the nuclear components had been there, it would have been a massive catastrophe. We're talking hundreds of thousands of people would have died.
Speaker 3: Because you know, I hadn't heard of this story until we looked into it for the show. I would bet that many of you listeners have not heard of this, the US accidentally dropping an atomic bomb on an unsuspecting family in the South. And that's because at the end of the day, nobody died. There was no atomic fallout, right, It was not a catastrophe of epic proportions.
Speaker 1: It did, however, become one of the driving forces for very important change, which is that today nuclear weapons are going to be set off not by concussion, but by a specific type of electrical impulse. Within days of this accidental bomb drop, the Air Force published new regulations. I think you already mentioned right, Oh yeah, where they said, hey guys, let's make sure that we don't, you know, act we want to drop bombs where we are supposed to drop them.
Speaker 3: No more of this willy nilly, you know, pin hammering business.
Speaker 1: But what about the Gregs? What about I feel like we've we've talked about the near miss, right that occurred, but what about the actual greg families. Poor cousin Ella, Well, they never returned to that home out there, and then Mars Bluff they received about fifty four thousand dollars in damages from the Air Force.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which by today's standards would be in the neighborhood of half a million.
Speaker 1: Bucks, which is not too bad. But you also we have to think, you know, they own that land. It was in their family for one hundred years. There's some things that you can't really put a price one.
Speaker 3: And they moved to a nice little cozy bungalow in nearby Florence, South Carolina, and this became.
Speaker 1: Of course, we don't know if Walter Gregg was the kind of guy to hang out in a bar, but we do know he was a church member for all of his life. Wherever he was hanging out and spending his free time. You know, this was his go to story when people are spinning tales. You know, he pointed it out, not too many people can say they've had a nuclear bomb dropped on them. Oh and also he was a former paratrooper, so he's familiar with aspects of military aviation. And he also spent most of his non military life working as a conductor for the railroads.
Speaker 3: And he finishes that quote with and not too many people would want to And I would side with Walter on that point. To this day, you can actually go visit this site. There's a historical marker which is beautiful, embarrassing historical marker. It says atomic bomb accident at Mars Bluff, March eleventh, nineteen fifty eight. The bomb landed in the woods behind the asbestos sided home of the railroad conductor Walter Bill Greg born nineteen twenty one. Greg, his wife, their three children, and a niece were injured by the concussion, which destroyed the house and outbuildings and did slight damage to build things within a five mile radius.
Speaker 1: And that's when we say slight damage, think of like the windows break exactly exactly, so One of my favorite parts of this story is there's something that I picture is a very Wes Anderson moment. It's that the Gregs and the Air Force crew they got in touch with each other, and the crew would hang out with them because they felt so bad, you know, and write them letters. And to me, I just picture something in a lost Wes Anderson film where you know, there's this immaculately decorated and choreographed room, right, it's perfectly set, everything's just so, and then Captain Kolka Navigator walks in and says, hello, this is the anniversary of the time that I accidentally drop the bomb on you. And then Walter greg says, yes, Captain, I'm aware. It's like I have brought you this gift.
Speaker 3: And then they then they eat a nice Thanksgiving style meal together.
Speaker 1: It's like I brought you a gift, and it's like, well, I hope it isn't another bomb.
Speaker 3: And speaking of bombs, there is also you can go to where the crater is and it's still there. It looks kind of like a crappy pond, you know, because it's basically just you know, it's obviously filled in over time, but it's still there. It just tends to be full of standing water, and there's a plywood silver spray painted. It looks like plywood actual size bomb. It's like a silhouette yea MK six seventy six hundred pounds. And there's like an Instagram photo on the How Stuff Works article where the girl standing next to it and saying I've been wondering for years where exactly the atomic bombs I was and finally found it.
Speaker 1: We do want to say that it is on it. You can visit it. However, the site is located on private property. The Gregs did sell the land, yeah and seventy seven right, Yeah, and it's currently on private property. There's no public access road. So we don't want Ridiculous History to be known as a show that encourages trespassing. So do check with the do check with the locals before you go on an expedition.
Speaker 3: And be careful how to get a snake bit or get a tick or something. There's probably some tall grass around there, but yeah, to get to it, you have to go through this abandoned lot that used to have a trailer park and walk through a totally overgrown path and then you come upon this crappy pond that was created by the one and only time that an atomic bomb was dropped on American soil by American forces.
Speaker 1: And so this got me thinking. As I was always reading this, I was remembering this poem by Elizabeth Bishop called one Art, which is the art of losing isn't hard to master. That's the first line, and it goes on, I don't want to ruin It's it's worth reading.
Speaker 3: No poetry spoilers, ben no poetry spoilers in ridiculous system.
Speaker 1: Right, no trespassing, No poetry spoilers. But it's a poem essentially about how easy it is to lose things. And it also inspired me to think about the other times that nuclear weapons around the world have been lost. And it turns out that since nineteen fifty there have been thirty two nuclear weapon accidents the accidental launching, firing, detonating after loss of weapon. I mean around the world, you know, in Canada, in England, and the strangest thing that happens is in a few cases the exact location is unknown. There was an incident in March tenth of nineteen fifty six, just a couple of years before this incident in the Carolinas, where a B forty seven and carrying two nuclear capsules on a flight from Tampa, Florida to an overseas base was reported missing. It didn't make contact in the Mediterranean when it was supposed to for second refueling, and no one ever found the plane. It's just out there somewhere in the ocean.
Speaker 3: Hikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so at least thirty two of these broken Arrow events occur, which is why that John Travolta movie is called Broken Arrow?
Speaker 3: Who else gon bring you a broken row? Who else? Don't bring you a bottle of rey?
Speaker 1: And if you were the Gregs, what would you have done when you found out that this occurred? Personally, I don't play the lottery, but I would think my probability odds are pretty cool right now.
Speaker 3: Or it could be like a final destination kind of scenario where it's like, you know, the Reaper was robbed and then I'd be looking for like any number of things to kill me in my basic surroundings.
Speaker 1: Which those movies got strangered, stranger, more and more like intricate.
Speaker 3: I feel they had to double down with the goldberg ness of it all. You know, there we go.
Speaker 1: That's the Craig phrase. So I guess we're done here right?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Wait, what is that?
Speaker 1: Do you hear it too?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I hear it.
Speaker 1: Now wait, Casey, why are you laughing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, here comes It's time. Gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm back. It's the quist Quister Jonathan Strickland. Yep, we thought the show was over.
Speaker 5: No, no, it has only just begun, my friends, For it is time to test your ability to tell fact from fantasy.
Speaker 3: Okay, then let's get on with this.
Speaker 1: So this is the segment of the show where in our nemesis, the evil Quister Jonathan Strickland co in to test our ability both to discern fact for fiction, as he said, and also to see whether we can work together to figure it out, and also to slowly wear.
Speaker 3: Us down over time until we crack.
Speaker 5: And for those who did not hear the previous installment, here are the general rules that hold sway from one incident to the next, which is, you have three minutes.
Speaker 3: What is this accent you're doing?
Speaker 1: Three, I'm trying something else. Three.
Speaker 5: I'll probably have a different one every time. I'm on three minutes. Three minutes, gentlemen, three you say three in order for you can talk with one another. You can address me with any questions. If I have any more information, I will give it to you based upon the way you ask the question.
Speaker 1: I may not give you all.
Speaker 5: The information you wish, but you have those three minutes to make your determination, at the end of which you must then tell me whether or not the scenario I present to you was fact or fantasy.
Speaker 1: And I also.
Speaker 5: Create an arbitrary rule every time, and it will change every single time. So last time you had to proceed every question with a phrase. This time you have to end every question to me with the words tick tick tick.
Speaker 1: Boom, three ticks than a boom, three.
Speaker 5: Ticks followed by a boom. And as soon as I finished giving you your scenario, you will start the timer of three months, the enormous Grandfather Timer. As we have previously established, we.
Speaker 1: Spent our whole budget on that thing.
Speaker 5: You know, I know it's I really had this whole like like sketch for a costume and a mask, and instead I'm just I'm just hearing a plaid shirt.
Speaker 3: It is. It's an audio podcast, though you could be wearing anything. Just use your imaginations work, okay, all right, So all right, So we do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm hanging. I'm hanging on the edge of the second hand right, I'm going to do a pull up and start the timer when it.
Speaker 5: Excellent, So here is your scenario. In October twenty seventeen, the Royal Navy was called out to detonate an unexploded World War One era bomb which previously had been used by a family as a door stop.
Speaker 1: Start the timer, Okay, okay, So it's a World War One era bomb which and a door stop.
Speaker 3: So clearly not the size of our giant warhead they were talking about today. Sounds more like maybe the size of like a like a propane tank or something. Maybe, yeah, yeah, what kind of bombs are they using in world?
Speaker 1: Definitely not nuclear?
Speaker 3: No, no, uh all right.
Speaker 1: The quister, could you repeat the salient points one more time? Tick tick tick boom. Yes.
Speaker 5: October twenty seventeen, Royal Navy is called out to a fun farm in Devon, England, to detonate an unexploded bomb of the World War One era that had previously been used as a doorstop.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say true, I think true. I think we're gonna I think we're gonna call this one early.
Speaker 3: I think maybe we will.
Speaker 1: All right, are we official on it? Yes?
Speaker 3: Lock in the answer, locked in.
Speaker 1: We think it's true.
Speaker 5: Gentlemen, you are two for two.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: As it turns out, there was a farm in Devon, England, and the while it had been previously used as a doorstop, what had actually happened was that they found this bomb inside a wall. It had been placed on purpose inside the wall when the wall was constructed. The grandparents of the owners of the farm said, oh, we used to use it as a doorstop. It was a corroded twenty five pound unexploded ordinance from the UK. Chances are it was actually fired into the farm area by accident from a nearby firing range.
Speaker 3: So that's what I was gonna ask. Is this sort of like a mortar round? Almost along those lines?
Speaker 1: Okay, twenty five shell?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 5: Yes, very well done, Very well done. So you've gotten one fantasy correct, one fact correct? What will next time bring? Who's to say it's except me? I have like the next three written, so I I.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, you know what the quist does his homework.
Speaker 3: You know, you can say a lot about Jonathan, but he definitely does.
Speaker 1: Got to respect the craft, you know, got to respect it, got to respect the quiz. Well, Jonathan, you know, thank you so much for coming aboard the show.
Speaker 3: Thank him.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jonathan and I acknowledge that you are here.
Speaker 5: I mean we can't we can't really deny it. I, as we've also previously established, I have no way of getting out of this room without someone from outside opening the door for me.
Speaker 1: Again, we spent a lot of the budget on our gigantic Grandfather Timer, and you know that we just didn't allocate the right money for locks.
Speaker 5: It's fine, I'll just sit in the corner.
Speaker 3: Now, get the hens, foul demon.
Speaker 5: I'm just back here. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It's okay, you can stay.
Speaker 5: I'm getting a call, all right.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah it feels great.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, sure, no, I'll you know, I'll have lunch with you.
Speaker 3: We're recording so well, Jonathan makes his lunch plans. Would we would like to so, while Jonathan's making his lunch plans, we would like to thank you listeners for joining us for another episode of Ridiculous History, another of Jonathan's diabolical quiz segments, which you know I could, I could, I could take her leave. I'm having a good time.
Speaker 1: I'm having I'm having a great time with it. I mean we're technically we're winners.
Speaker 3: Now, that's true. Let us know if you're having a good time, right I said ridiculous at HowStuffWorks dot com. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram right where we are Ridiculous History, and.
Speaker 1: You can also, of course find our nemesis, Jonathan on his own show, tech Stuff, which is available wherever you find your favorite podcast. So be well, have a fantastic week, throw us a review if you'd like. We'd love to hear from you, and stay tuned for another episode of Ridiculous History.
Speaker 4: Guys, I'm on the phone.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.