Speaker 1: Listen to every single day. Ye reakfast Club. God, damn it, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: What that ass up on the Breakfast Club?
Speaker 3: Brady, I can't say breakfast club without the Reckless Club.
Speaker 4: You're like this rare air.
Speaker 1: She got platforms and partners all over the place because your man is so high.
Speaker 5: People want to be in listens with the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: I don't think white people know how popular you guys are.
Speaker 5: DJ Envy, Charlemagne the guy. You guys really are like the hip hop early morning late night talk.
Speaker 1: Y'all know what you'all talking about. It's a moody. Is it your time to get it off your chest?
Speaker 6: Wait, whether you're mad or blessed something, to get up and get something?
Speaker 3: Call up now eight hundred five eighty five one O five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Ray, What Updrey?
Speaker 7: What up?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 1: You don't know if your.
Speaker 9: Chests brother, Oh, I got this little for them, she'd be clocking me.
Speaker 5: She my mother.
Speaker 10: I always think I'm trying to cheat.
Speaker 11: When I'm just going to the store, like well.
Speaker 1: First of all, you can't, Curtis. The second of all, did you cheat before?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I cheated?
Speaker 5: Before come on, I'll tell you what else to that little girlfriend of yours is a big girlfriend to somebody else whoa.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you can't talk.
Speaker 5: You can't talk about it like that though. You see your little girlfriend? What you mean? That's that's what I say to you when I'm trying to insult you. I see what your little girlfriend. How you gonna say that about yourself?
Speaker 7: That's a fact, that's the fact.
Speaker 5: You're right.
Speaker 11: But still though, like she's just always copping me, coccoosing me and cheating when I'm literally trying to be faithful, Like she's gonna push me to go cheating.
Speaker 1: You cheat it twice, so she gotta watch you. Obviously, that's a fact.
Speaker 12: But that's back in the day.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 7: Bro, Oh my goodness, it's.
Speaker 5: Not that hard, sir, not at all. You violated her trust.
Speaker 11: And if not, and I've been trying to make that trust up, but she just keep on keep on keeping going with it, like you're gonna forgive me and be with me, or you're gonna keep on accusing me, Like, which what are we doing now?
Speaker 1: If you keep talking like we did? Give it is to heal you cheated twice? And then she asked you a question. You're like, just get over it. That ain't gonna work.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'll be I mean, I'll be trying to be reasonable with her, Like I get while you excuse me, get while you feel it how you feel.
Speaker 9: But at the end of the day, you chose to get back with me.
Speaker 1: Trade was the last time you cheated?
Speaker 12: Trade?
Speaker 10: Like five months ago?
Speaker 1: He said? Mad long ago?
Speaker 5: Hey man, trade have a blood day trip?
Speaker 1: John was mad long ago? How long?
Speaker 5: Five months?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 5: Knock it off?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Hello, who's this?
Speaker 13: Hey, good morning. It's Tasha from Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Hey, Tasha from Brooklyn. Get it off your chest.
Speaker 14: So I just want to say how upset I am about the maternity to leave here in New York. I just had a baby in July, and I'm expected to go back to work after twelve weeks.
Speaker 12: And it sucks.
Speaker 14: You know, it's not enough bonding time that we get with our childress.
Speaker 5: How long is it?
Speaker 13: It's only twelve weeks.
Speaker 14: It's literally three months and my daughter just turned three months and I'm expected to return to work already after three months. So they only give you, said, they only pay you for twelve weeks. You can stay out longer, but it will be without pay. So I'm not returning to work until next year, so all of this time will be without pay. Other countries, well, I'm going to take so you have job security for up to a year. If I work for the city, my position is safe for up to a year. But after the twelve weeks, I won't get paid. So I decided I'll just take six months. It gives me a little bit more time to bond with her and her to get to just know her environment before I put her like with.
Speaker 12: A baby, sit up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 14: The funny thing about it is I have two older children, and I had my seventeen year old daughter when I was really young, and.
Speaker 13: I went back to week, I went back to work a week.
Speaker 14: Later, you know, just not even recognizing or realizing how important it is to bond with your kid in these you know, first couple of months. But I think we could do better. It's so much, it's so much policies that could be put into place, especially for black women, and the maternal rate is so high, the death maternal.
Speaker 13: Rate is so high.
Speaker 14: Yes, I just wanted to throw that out here.
Speaker 1: See, I see both sides because I understand you want to bond with the kids, and that's that's very especially the first year. It's very well needed. But also i'm you know, from a workplace. I mean, they got to pay somebody. They can't continue to pay you for a full year and not have somebody feel that position, you know, So I see both sides, you know. Or maybe if you're able to allow to work at home where that way you can still spend time with your baby at home and you can do a little work at home, you know.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's some position where you can't stay at home. My position, you can't do that.
Speaker 14: I need to be in the office.
Speaker 13: But it's it's not even actually called maternity lead.
Speaker 14: It's called excellently like family medical administrative lead. So if that's the case, I think like something could figure out.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, enjoy that baby, love that baby. They get big so damn fast.
Speaker 13: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Have a good one.
Speaker 11: Guy.
Speaker 1: What's the baby's name?
Speaker 13: Her name is Shiloh. Shout out to my baby.
Speaker 14: Shout out to Nila, Shout out to Anthony.
Speaker 13: Those are my kids.
Speaker 14: Shout out to my husband on Nil.
Speaker 13: Shout out to you guys.
Speaker 14: Y'all, so follow me and you my men's and them, envy you my men's and them. I love y'all.
Speaker 1: Let you get it off your chest eight hundred five eighty five one five one. If you need to be hit us up now it's the breakfast club.
Speaker 3: The morning, the breakfast club. This is your time to get it off your chest. Undred five five five one. We want to hear from you on the breakfast club.
Speaker 4: Hello. Who's his?
Speaker 5: Hey Derek, Hey Derek?
Speaker 1: What get her off your chest?
Speaker 6: Hey? I got something on my chest?
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 6: I want to talk about the price of a good man.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I don't know a.
Speaker 6: Good man that doesn't have an empty wallet and a broken fact. But now you get you get that, you get you a bad man. They got a pocket full of money and they take me.
Speaker 1: That sounds like me, I'm not bad.
Speaker 6: Well, hey, I'm just saying you be nod. But you don't hear about good women anymore.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 1: What's your definition of a good woman? You just told us our definition of a good man. What's a good woman?
Speaker 6: If a good woman is the old day, the old school women, the ones that take care of the home, take care of you know, women don't watch this is normal. They don't play the house no more. They don't do none of those things.
Speaker 5: That's not true. I'm gonna tell you something, man, I got a plethora of amazing sisters around me that do both. They know how to navigate in the corporate world and get their money, and they know how to be domesticated at home, you know, and they always got to be to hook them up with people. And I'll be like no, because I don't know no brothers, men like a worthy and I don't even like to get involved in my friends relationships like that.
Speaker 6: Well, what generation are they in.
Speaker 5: Late thirties forty five that the generate new generation got dishwashers?
Speaker 1: Do y'all really want women washing?
Speaker 5: That's true too.
Speaker 1: I don't want to walk by seeing anybody washing dishes.
Speaker 5: Put them in a dishwashers, keep it pushing. That's true too.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm just staying. I've been married for twenty five years and I've been, you know, a good man, and I tell you what, everyone in my body's hurting.
Speaker 1: Damn Well, Derek, you need to get an ask in the dishwashing time.
Speaker 6: But at the same time, you say that's the thirty year olds. Well, you don't know. You don't realize it until your bout forty or fifty. That's when all of that's when everything starts hurting and you start noticing that your wallace.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's just age though.
Speaker 6: Broll and after twenty five years of marriage of every bone in your body is hurting.
Speaker 1: She's still doing her job.
Speaker 6: But I'm bum boom your bones are hurting because you're doing everything around the house, and you're doing all the work.
Speaker 5: You have a particular age.
Speaker 1: You missed the bone jokes the bone Joe.
Speaker 9: Ah, man, I missed the phone joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was talking about the other bone, bro. But does that bone still work? That's all that matters.
Speaker 6: Oh man, that's the thing about it. It works better than my movie.
Speaker 1: But in my back where you better be appy because there's a lot of brothers out there and there Fortyes, that bones don't work, bro, but also.
Speaker 6: Brothers know that everything stops. Wants to get married after about fifteen years.
Speaker 1: What's wrong? You just missed the negative this morning?
Speaker 9: Brother, h No, I'm wise, wise and in a good movie.
Speaker 1: All right, Well you have a good one, mister, good move.
Speaker 6: And of my pipy and you know we know people.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, all astrological signs people, He's okay, I'm the only afthroological sign that knows some people.
Speaker 1: He said, a great day. All right, Hello, who's this?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 6: This twan?
Speaker 1: Twan?
Speaker 7: What up?
Speaker 1: Getting off your chest? Twong?
Speaker 6: No, ma'am, I'm just wanted to say that.
Speaker 9: First of all, I'm glad that I finally got through drive in the fandy y'all for the longest time.
Speaker 10: But now I'm head of the work and he's truck. I was trying to up the road.
Speaker 5: You're trying to run you off the road. I'm gonna be honest with your truck drivers. Be driving like they just pushing around han days nowadays. I don't know who told truck drivers that they got electric cars, but they don't. They still got big mac trucks and they need to drive as such.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: Man, Let me get a lane.
Speaker 5: Let me get a laid Now they ridiculous. I'm not gonna front. Truck drivers are very very ridiculous nowaday. Even the way they cut over in the lanes. Now they act like they have cars. It's weird.
Speaker 1: Move out to give me a blink or something. Give me a blink or something, and salute to all the truck drivers out there. Man, y'all be safe out there as well.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: But yeah, some of them do be disrespectful. Angle front.
Speaker 13: Yeah, man, thank you man.
Speaker 1: Have it going, brother, get it off your chest. Eight hundred five e five one oh five one. If you need the vent phone lines wide open. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club, parting everybody. It's DJ NV Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. You got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, Mel Hill, welcome back. Hey.
Speaker 4: You know I always love to sit with y'all enjoying the conversations.
Speaker 1: That's right, And the paperback is out right now it is.
Speaker 15: Yeah, my baby is growed up a little bit. It's now a toddler. I guess.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 4: A year ago the hardcover of my memoir Uphill came out, and now the paperback.
Speaker 5: How was the response to putting out a memoir, because you know, in memoirs you put out so much information, you reveal things you probably never told anybody. Well, response, not just from the general polic but from like your family and stuff.
Speaker 4: The response was generally good. It was mostly positive.
Speaker 15: There was somebody in my family who took issue with it, and that created some tension, and the attention is still there, unfortunately, and so you know, I'm still processing that part.
Speaker 1: They did not have a conversation before.
Speaker 15: We did have a conversation before, but I just didn't think how they reacted to it would be the way they reacted. And they took it to Facebook as opposed to taking it to me. Yeah, and then they aired out stuff that was not even in the book, and it was like.
Speaker 5: Why and probably stuff that wasn't true.
Speaker 15: Yeah, some of it was definitely I looked at very skeptically, and it wasn't about me. It was it was about my mom, to be candid, and so I was not happy that that was the course of action that they chose, and so it caused a fracture in our relationship.
Speaker 5: Of My first book was the same thing, and family was, oh, I can't write a book, but I can go to Facebook, right exactly.
Speaker 15: You know, And especially it's not like this person couldn't have called me like they could have and we could have had a conversation about it. And I guess the surprising part they didn't take issue with what was written as in terms of like it not being true. The issue was when we finally did have that discussion, was that they weren't in it enough.
Speaker 1: So that really so they wanted side out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Oh, they just felt like they should have been you know, that their role in my life should have been more highlighted or more And I thought I did a pretty good job of it as it was, but apparently it was not on part with this person.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, with they.
Speaker 5: Roll in your life as big as they actually thought.
Speaker 15: It was, well, I mean, I guess if you want me to say what it is, because I see you're getting to But it was my father.
Speaker 4: Who had an issue. Oh yeah, that was my father had an issue.
Speaker 15: With some of the things that were in the book, not necessarily because they were untrue, but he felt like he should have been more prominently featured in the book.
Speaker 4: That was what I got from it, and so I it wasn't.
Speaker 15: It was a very difficult conversation to have, and so those conversations have been somewhat ongoing, and I told him I needed to kind of press pause because I need to process what you said to me.
Speaker 4: Because I took a lot of issue with it.
Speaker 5: Now do you think, what do you think a second Jamel Hill book would be about?
Speaker 15: Well, there will be another Jamael Hill book, and it is much like this memoir of something I didn't expect to write.
Speaker 4: But the second book will be a children's book.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, So I'm writing a children's book and it will cover some parts of Uphill, like just kind of you know, how I was it able to overcome some adversity and some of the more positive career stuff like, some of that will be part of it. But generally speaking, it will be sort of like my love letter to a lot of the women whose stories haven't been told, a lot of the women who I've admired, and so it'll I'm really looking forward to.
Speaker 4: I've never written.
Speaker 15: Before a children's audience before, so this will be quite a challenge. It'll be the opposite almost from a memoir, because you're pouring everything into this book, and you know, it's like two hundred and fifty three hundred pages and of children's book. You have to be quite concise, and you have to make sure that they understand the general themes that.
Speaker 1: You're trying to be about.
Speaker 15: Yet yeah, I mean it, it'll be a combination of my story and the stories of women whose stories need to be told. And you know women I've admired. So yeah, some of them famous, some of them not as famous as others. I mean, I'm trying to like really unearthed and tell the stories of some women who probably didn't get the flowers that they deserved.
Speaker 5: Gotcha. Yeah, we just had an off set up here and you had some words about his and if you would hyping out something off the podcaster and you said, you feel like this is a racing real hip hop journalism. Yeah I do.
Speaker 15: I mean, listen, I admit I'm spoiled. It's like when when hip hop was really coming into his own and growing. You know, that's when you had Vibe, you had Kevin Powell and Dreamampton and Danielle Smith, and there was like a real hip hop journalism sort of movement there that covered the culture, that cover theists, artists tried to tell the full three sixty dimensions of their stories. And as you know, you know, mainstream media wasn't messing with hip hop like that. They weren't telling these stories. And so now it's just interesting to me the platforms they wind up on, Like look, at sexy Red, like why was she on that podcast? But what you know with THEO like that, does that seem like the type of podcast that you would expect sexy Red to be on.
Speaker 4: Probably not, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Interesting Mark on the one day one time and he was talking, he was talking about how sexy that's.
Speaker 1: What Charlamage cares about. Fact, that's all.
Speaker 5: Like a whole five.
Speaker 1: Not blushing it but I think you were.
Speaker 5: A beautiful man. He was like, I'm like living, I'm blushing. That compliment is a compliment. I was.
Speaker 4: I was like, wow, not blessing.
Speaker 1: He's so silly to take him on the.
Speaker 5: Date lady features, I promise you that's what you were saying. He remembers every live I do. I do, but I don't. I don't know what the old angles is what.
Speaker 15: I'm yeah, I mean he's had an eclectic group of guests, so I guess maybe from that standpoint, you could say that she fits. But it's just I when I watched that interaction and I get it. I know what her stick is a lot of it. As many people say, like she clearly borrowed some of this from Funny Marco, who actually think does it pretty well, yeah, like he he has, he's got a good thing going and her I guess looking at her rise, it was kind of curious to me, like her podcast has not been existing enough for that long. I think the way the story was told was like Drake saw her on TikTok. I think ye on TikTok, but she was with Funny Marco. I think that's the interview that he saw. That's at least that's sort of what's been reported and out there, and then he just up and decided, you know, hey, I'm just going this random podcast, which he has every right to do. But when I look about who are the caretakers of hip hop, the caretakers of how this culture is covered, it's us, you know, for the most part. That's not to say the OFFSET can't do interviews with people outside the culture, but I notice how those interviews are received and for that matter, how they're treated on those interviews, and it makes me concerned overall. Honestly, I know a lot a ton of black journalists who could go who could use that kind of boost, and to me, especially given we see the danger of when our stories aren't told and they're trying to erase our stories in real time. I would like to see artists like him, artists like Drake, other Black artists in general, be more intentional about the type of media that they try to do right, Like that's why Breakfast Club has the status and the stature that it does, because this is a place that has been established for the culture.
Speaker 4: And it would be nice.
Speaker 15: If some of these artists understood that there's something larger at play than just going viral.
Speaker 1: I will on't go anywhere. We got more with Jamil Hill. It's the Breakfast logan morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Everybody's DJ n V.
Speaker 1: Charlamagne, the guy we are the Breakfast Club was still kicking it. Very insightful with Jamel Hill this morning, Charlamagne.
Speaker 5: I do miss your sports takes, Jamail. I talked about this all the time.
Speaker 15: Let me tell you this, Charlote made I think you deserve You should give me credit because it took a lot for me to resist texting you the day my forty nine ers just play. Just beat the breaks off, y'all, because because I knew this was I would see him in person.
Speaker 4: And I told you.
Speaker 1: If I had your number, I would have called you. I would have put you in just for five minutes to like, do you have something to say when the wash.
Speaker 5: Them Californies feel like, are you happy to see that? Jamail?
Speaker 15: It ain't about like what I was just like, yeah, we are problem, but we are a problem for most of them. We knew that, we knew that everybody, but we are a problem for Dallas specifically.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: So when I when that, when I saw the final score because I missed most of the game because I had to ask some other things to do, but I knew we were gonna win.
Speaker 4: I just didn't think it was gonna be like that was I said, you.
Speaker 15: Know what I'm gonna I'm gonna give Charlam made some some privacy, you know, some talks and prayers, and then when I see him in person, be like you boys.
Speaker 5: No, that was the moral the first two weeks. I'm like, yeah, we're going to the super Bowl. You know I say that every year. Yeah, you know, you went the lost of the Cars, so that's nothing right going to Super Bowl against New England. Going to Super Bowl? What was weak?
Speaker 1: I'm like his daddy texting them and said, Charlam mane, were really going to the Super Bowl? Buy your tickets?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just the belief is so hard.
Speaker 5: That's been a different conversation. Yeah, this is depressing. Let's go back to one one of the topics. Okay, THEO Vaughn and Sexy Red all right talking, We talked about it up a couple of times. What about that interview is so upsetting, Like there's gonna need to beat up on her Sexy Red.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that anybody was rushing to hear, you know, what her political texts were. But the problem with is, like the misinformation. It wasn't that she gave her political take. She's allowed to give her political tape. She could have said I supported Trump and listed off the reasons that actually made a little bit more sense. Yeah, she could have said that, because it's her right to have that opinion. But it's the misinformation that is what I see is to be more dangerous when you have that kind of platform, because like it or not, people aren't going to listen to her. And even though you know she's talked about they love Trump in the hood. I was like, well, Poles don't really show that, but that's okay, go ahead, go off, And so I took the opportunity to your point, I saw it as a teachable moment because, as you said, there are some people who do say the same things. Let's deal with what's being said. Even though Donald Trump's name were on that stimulus tech, he did not the money did not come from it me. It didn't come right out of his bank account. It was passed by congress people. And that's part of the general collective ignorance that we have. A lot of us don't know how government works. There's no shame in that because it is a complicated system. But we have to understand how legislation has passed, how policy are made, knowing the right person to be mad at, because a lot of the things that people are mad at, you know, inflation, other things.
Speaker 4: I was like, the president doesn't have a whole lot.
Speaker 15: To do with that, and we're in a huge age of corporate greed like we've never seen before. And I wish that we had a better handle on who to blame, because then that would help us better strategize.
Speaker 5: But you know what, I tell the Tellorhood, I'll just be like Biden gave out Stemmys too.
Speaker 4: But that was brilliant though. I was like, I mean, no president in the history has ever done that. He's like, no, no, no, no. The checks get held up because he was like, no, no, I'm gonna need that.
Speaker 16: Donald J.
Speaker 5: Trump on it because he knew, he knew the lasting impact that would have. But you're right, Biden Trump signed signed it in twice. Yeah, signed it in once. Biden gave out Stemmys two. It is. That's the hook. Yeah, that's how you get the sexony reds as all.
Speaker 4: It isn't.
Speaker 15: And unfortunately the other part of it is that the amount of media machinery behind the right wing there's no democratic equivalent. I hope somebody in her camp or somebody period pulled her aside and said, hey, here are the issues. If you're gonna speak about these, and if you're gonna take a pro tramp position, at least if you're gonna take one, take one that is a little more informative than the one that know your facts, know your facts.
Speaker 5: And people just like to be entertained nowadays. Two, I bet you said you're not redister voute.
Speaker 4: I mean that would have been like a great follow up to be like, oh, so.
Speaker 5: Are you registered to vote?
Speaker 4: Are do you planning to vote for him?
Speaker 1: In the next election.
Speaker 15: That would have been something to bring up with her, but I guarantee that might be the last political question she for quite some time.
Speaker 5: One more question, You still think that get Helly's racist? Would say that was the reason for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know why you said that.
Speaker 5: You thought she was racist, but not wanting com Vice President Harry.
Speaker 15: No, So it's not that because again, like in politics, you're not gonna agree with who needs to be the leader. It's not the general disagreement that I think people took it that way. I'm not calling her a flat out racist, but what I will say is that she's very comfortable using racist dog whistles to further and advance her political position.
Speaker 5: I feel like the biggest opposition Vice President Harris is going to face is going to come from in her own party. Yes, I agree. I think that there's people in her party right now who don't want her to be by president because you see that came out I did in New.
Speaker 15: York Times, and it's it's the hit pieces that are done on her. It's just I don't I mean, I get it, but I don't get it.
Speaker 5: But I had to go google and see, well what did she do? Like I was like it just came out of nowhere long as I mean, and even some of us.
Speaker 4: Who are just like, well, what is she doing? Where's she being?
Speaker 15: Like she literally speaks every day guys like I don't know what to tell y'all, Like you're like, where is she? I'm like, uh, because I'm on the mailing list. I get her schedule practically every day. Like she's always doing a lot of things, Like I know right now she's on the college tour, but no, like she's been subjected to a lot of hit pieces and you could tell their hip pieces because of some of the things they say about her.
Speaker 5: You can tell it from within, and they can.
Speaker 15: Tell that from within. It's like, because I think in that is this. This is the article that mentioned how much time she spends on her hair.
Speaker 5: On her hair, Like are you serious?
Speaker 1: Like that's what we do?
Speaker 4: Like on her air, like she's a black woman.
Speaker 15: I bet she is going to spend some time on her air because the moment she doesn't look presentable, guess what the conversation is going to be about the vice president. So it's like she's damned if she did does damned if she doesn't. She's caught in a really type position, and I feel like it is really it's really neutering what I think makes her such a strong politician. And like it or not, Joe Biden would not have gotten elected without her, he would not have She was the strongest, I think person for him to run with. I mean, look, listen, do you feel like that there's another viable VP that will get.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think exactly. I don't think the Democrats have no bitch period.
Speaker 4: No, it's than it's then like when you look at who could have run.
Speaker 1: She just said bench bench, No bench, clearly bench.
Speaker 5: I said, they don't have no bench. Oh my good All right, ladies and gentlemen, hill a memoir the paperback that right now.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you for joining us. And it's the Breakfast Club. Good Morning's DJ V Charlamage. We all the Breakfast Club. Lauren the Roaster is our special guest co host.
Speaker 5: Yeses me.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're just joining us, we're talking about taking your wife's class name. Now this story comes from where Lauren.
Speaker 17: So, this story comes from the NFL star Ricky Williams, former NFL star, he decided to legally change his last name to his wife his wife's last name, and he said that this is something that he had been thinking about for some time now and it actually done, but hadn't like mentioned it. And as to why, he said he did it because he wanted to create more balance in his marriage. His wife is a very established and successful attorney, he says, but he often gets more attention due to his NFL career, so he thought that this would, you know, help to create the balance. It's something that he considered after taking an astrology relationship class.
Speaker 4: I guess so ye, I told you all signs better, all right?
Speaker 1: So the question is eight hundred five five five one. Would you take your wife's last name? Now, charlamagine you said you would hyphen the name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would hyphen it. You know what I'm saying. I wouldn't change it completely. You know, I have four daughters, and I want my daughters to keep our last name because you know, I don't have any sons, so I wanted to be hyphenated. That's how my wife's name is. My wife's name is her last name and my last name because her her father don't have no son. So yeah, to keep the to keep the last name alive, I would. I would do the hyphen it thing. But yeah, I wouldn't change my name completely. Yeah no, I wouldn't. No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't do that. My lineage and my ancestors matter too. I wouldn't change my name completely.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I wouldn't change mine at all. I'm my only child and my wife has two brothers, So yeah, no, I wouldn't change mine. Lauren, would you want your husband to change his name to your name?
Speaker 4: No, I want to take his last name.
Speaker 1: You want to take his last name?
Speaker 2: I just I don't know.
Speaker 17: I just feel like I'm just it's so weird because I'm not traditional at all. But that is as I don't know, just something you look forward to us like a woman from what for me anyway? And not for all woman for me?
Speaker 4: But I thought it was interesting too.
Speaker 17: He said that he didn't really care about the change either, because the last name was Williams is not even his real last name. The guy I guess that was married to his grandmother that took care of the family, isn't his real uh like, isn't like isn't his biological dad. So that changes it too because the lineage is not really even there. Because it's not as sad and I won the.
Speaker 5: Way it shifted for us to because remember it was a time where, you know, especially if you study like you know Islam or the fibers and teachers Islam, you know, the last name was a slave name. So that's why people would you know, change their name the ex Muhammad, you know Farakahn. So I wonder where where we got to the point where we was like, nah, we're gonna represent all last names, even if they are you know.
Speaker 1: From ours, because casey, I don't think it came from from the black name or no.
Speaker 5: Duh, clear clearly clearly that it was all slave owner names. I'm just saying. I wonder when we started to claim nose and say, nah, this is our last name. I kind of feel like woke. It was when people got woke. I think. I think when Dame dash would say a hustle for your last name, not your first and you know, like that matters that and that is our names, you know at the end of the day. So so like I said, I wouldn't I wouldn't change my last name, but you never know what you're both names.
Speaker 1: But I asked a couple of the men behind the scenes, and I asked them if they would do it, and they said no. But then I said, if it was somebody that was financially secure or like an open wind free or one of those, would they changed the name. They all suggest I hate.
Speaker 17: That for y'all because even if she wasn't financially secure, if you lover, and that's what I'm just telling you. They started, you know, they said, I hate man, So don't get me started.
Speaker 4: You do you do?
Speaker 1: Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 16: Good morning you?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 16: I'm good. This is doctor Bryan Thomas.
Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning. Would you change your last name to your wife's last name?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I would.
Speaker 16: I don't see a problem with that. I don't see an issue with it because, I mean, to maintain your daughter, then everybody wants the legacy. I don't have a problem with that at all. I mean, I don't think it's it's fair that, you know, it's an automatic thing that the woman gets to take my last name. I mean, which one was having it? You know, the other way around?
Speaker 5: It should be okay, someone you you would change it completely?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, what's the big deal. Yeah, my last name is Bryan, so m's Cardashi absolutely.
Speaker 5: I'm a pick of Smith, Winfrey knows Carter, so I understand.
Speaker 1: Brad, Hello, Hello, hey Brad.
Speaker 12: Uh yeah, I was saying, you call us because there's only.
Speaker 5: Like hey, no, why you sound like that?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, continue, So you change your last name to your wife's last name.
Speaker 12: I would be down.
Speaker 9: Not that she'd ever asked that, but because her last name is so unique that there's only like a handful of people.
Speaker 13: That have it in all of the US.
Speaker 1: What's her last name?
Speaker 12: I kind of want to say it.
Speaker 10: It's not bad or anything like that.
Speaker 1: You know, what is it?
Speaker 5: You don't want to put her out there? I understand.
Speaker 1: Let's say, you're not going knock to tell us what the unique name is.
Speaker 10: Well, because of perspective, you know what I'm saying, like the fact that most guys wouldn't have to worry about that because a lot of people are common and is it?
Speaker 12: But because it's not common, I don't want to put her out there?
Speaker 5: Got you? That was all right?
Speaker 2: That had been so much better if he just said that.
Speaker 1: Said the name quitting?
Speaker 19: What up?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 1: What's up? Would you take your wife's last name?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 12: That ain't no man? This duty right here last name.
Speaker 6: That what she married.
Speaker 16: He's got to be the man that relates top.
Speaker 17: You're not the man if you're the name is not if she doesn't make your last name, like, aren't you still the man?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not taking her.
Speaker 12: And now she she got a bunch of money. I think that shut up.
Speaker 5: Man's so crazy, I can I say it's it's funny to me, Lauren, when people say you're not a man if you take the woman's last name. But the woman, the woman got money, It's okay to take that makes you a bird.
Speaker 1: You're a bird.
Speaker 17: But if I sat up here it's say anything about a man with money, then what I would do? Because the man got money? I am like, I have no morals.
Speaker 5: I'm they call your birth by the way, for all guys who say that. And if the girl got money, I'll take her last name. You're a city girl, definitely a city.
Speaker 17: But y'all mad when we bumping city girls and the sexy reds and see, I'm just I don't hate nobody. I'm just calling out double standards all the time. Y'all be mad at me.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 1: It says that your wife wants you to do that? Right now? Take her last name.
Speaker 12: I'm my wife, than I possibly getting married.
Speaker 1: Okay, the narratives.
Speaker 12: She wants me to take your last name. But I'm pretty old school man, I'm not for that.
Speaker 5: But I do get her.
Speaker 16: I do get her point of view because.
Speaker 12: Her father was a single father, so her last name was Diane with her because he only had two girls. So I do understand her point of view.
Speaker 6: But I can't do that. Man.
Speaker 5: Why doesn't she walk around? Why doesn't she just hyphenate her last name and then when y'all have kids. I ain't for that hyphen I'm not saying you. I'm not saying you have to. I'm saying, why doesn't she hyphenate you know, y'all last names? And then when y'all have kids, the kids have the hyphenated last name.
Speaker 12: She wants to hyphenated, but I don't see the purpose of hyphenated. Who has It's like.
Speaker 5: Walking around with That's not true.
Speaker 4: People have two last names, especially if they people.
Speaker 5: If you, if you, I know they have two last names.
Speaker 12: But I mean we get married. I mean, like I said, I'm old, my grandfather, my grandmother, y'all got kids yet?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope you have all girls. I hope you have all girls. That's not a bad thing, though. I hope you have all girls. So when those girls get married to another guy, you'll understand why it's important to hyphenate the last name.
Speaker 1: Nothing wrong with all girls.
Speaker 4: What was that last name?
Speaker 18: Though?
Speaker 17: You might lose that last name because if they get married and want to stay traditional and take their man's last name, like the the household they're.
Speaker 12: With their mom, that's something that's gonna have to be decided when they get married.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, but you gotta change tradition. Now you're in it, KP. What's wrong with people man changing this?
Speaker 8: You now?
Speaker 12: K Yeah?
Speaker 1: Would you take your wife's last name?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 10: It depends on which name adds more value to the family man, like traditionally demand a last name is gonna be worked more than the wife's last name, whatever case is. But you know, if like you born out of Oprah Whitfrey, want me to take her last name? The Whitfery last name means born in the fierce last name.
Speaker 12: Legacy.
Speaker 10: And then also you know, if like but if Ricky Williams lands name Terry whole bunch of weight, as far as like if daddy living with emotional trauma and stuff like that. He might not want to leave that niggage to his kids. He might want to, you know, add the value of the white's family name on. So me, personally, my wife's got my lass name, but if hers would have been once more, I would have been a.
Speaker 17: Hop what's the traditional rule that said that the man's last name carries more weight than.
Speaker 2: The woman did?
Speaker 10: The traditional rule for what I'm saying traditional whenever we go back to old student marriages and stuff, you know, the man brought something to the table and said.
Speaker 12: Hey, I'm adding value to this.
Speaker 10: I'm not saying there's a rule, but I'm saying, traditionally, that's why the man's last name was taken. Because you're saying, hey, I'm bringing your daughter over here and join her to this family, and you know this family is adding value to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, a brother, Well, what's the other story, guys in the morting?
Speaker 5: The story is you got to do what works for you. You know what I mean. I already told y'all I got I got three four beautiful daughters. So you know I want them to you know, hyphenate their last names when they choose to get married a long, long, long, long, long long long time from now, because I want my name, my last name, to continue to live on you and I think most fathers who have daughters want that. My wife, That's what my wife did, so I don't have a problem with that. As far as changing my last name completely, No, I want to honor my family, just like you know that person wants their family honor. All right.
Speaker 1: Just the Breakfast Club, Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 10: More.
Speaker 1: Everybody is the dj n V Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in.
Speaker 5: The building now, it's a special special Yes.
Speaker 1: Jada Pinkett Smith.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm feeling good.
Speaker 5: You're glowing.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You know, life is good even in the chaos.
Speaker 5: I mean, life is chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it is. You know what I'm saying. So you just get in harmony with that.
Speaker 5: That's interesting, you said. I could always be wondering, like, yo, do are we ever going to find peace on this planet? Or do we just exist within the chaos? The chaos is normal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know. Just in my ernie, I've just been discovering that you kind of have to just rise above it, right, because the world is going to be what it's going to be, right. I actually think that the world is a university, you know, to teach us how to transcend it. Yeah, and so yeah, you just you got to make peace with what this world is about. But I don't think that this place is our sanctuary. I actually think you know, snding it and going into more of the spiritual spiritual places, you know, and just kind of understanding living your life from there within the world. I mean, that's what they say, you know, be in it, but not of it.
Speaker 1: You ever get tired of it? Though, because you've been on this tour for a while, and you're very big on energy and vibrations, and sometimes I'm sure the energy and vibrations have been all over the place, but it seems like you've been on tour, yeah, for a long time. You ever get tired of it? Like now, enough's enough?
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I think that if I put myself in that frame of mind and I just bring myself a level of discomfort, that's not necessary, right, You just go it is what it is. So how are you going to step up to the moment and that's it, you know, that's just what it is. And so that's where I find my piece.
Speaker 5: Since the release of this book, what is your Ego? Been telling you?
Speaker 2: My ego has been telling me to let go because it takes a lot of courage to sin in your truth. It takes a lot of courage. It takes a lot of courage to be happy. When you're walking through the world and you're dismantling ideas, you know, you kind of have to and that dismantle you just kind of have to let go of everything that you thought you were, everything that you're trying to be, and just flow right, just let whatever is presenting itself, just kind of be what it is. But you definitely gotta let go. So it's it's been a real test in regards to trust. You know, I just can't trust the ego in that way anymore. But you know, that's a process. So as I'm dismassing, so you go from one ego state to the next, right, so it just gets it just gets uh, it just gets smaller, I guess, you know, but the ego is always going to be that. So you know, you just kind of learn how to make friends with your ego and have it work for you in a different way, for different purpose.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm working with right now.
Speaker 1: Has this truth helped your relationship with friends, family, and even your marriage? Has this truth and all the things that came out or did it make things worse?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, See I didn't. I didn't step into this walk into my situation with my friend is my family as specifically, Will was tight right because I already knew how disruptive it was gonna be. So I had to make sure that my inner circle was tight, right, so that we could walk this together hand in hand.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's actually, you know, specifically for Will and I, it's definitely brought us closer. It's so funny how crisis will do.
Speaker 4: That, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. So that's the thing about Will and Ize, just like we just learn more and more as we go that this is what we were built to do, you know, with each other, you know, and to walk together. And you know, just like any long term relationship, it goes through it's of course, you know, and so you gotta take your time. I really had to grow emotionally. I did, had I realize how emotionally immature I was, you know what I'm saying. And so that's the thing about long term relationships that are fantastic if you can just hang in there, because it's going to force you to step your game up if you want to be happy, you know. And so Will's been one of my greatest teachers on my journey, you know, because I've been forced to have to deal with.
Speaker 1: My stuff, you know what stuff because you said you're immature. What immaturity do you see when you look at yourself?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say, you know, seven years ago, just when you're just hanging onto these romantic ideas of what marriage should be, what your partner should be for you, so that you don't have to be the thing for yourself, like when you keep banging on somebody like, no, I need you to show up this way because I need to feel a certain way about myself right that in itself. If it's just like hold up, you want somebody else to be something for you that you're not willing to.
Speaker 4: Be for yourself.
Speaker 2: First of all, how do you call that love?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: And I had to like step away to really realize that, you know, And so me get myself in alignment and just realizing like yo, Jada, you got a lot of work to do, and then doing that work, and then being able to present myself with more of myself, and then being able to see Will as who he is and just accept him and love him.
Speaker 5: There, that's what I think is lost, you know in the book if you haven't read the book, right, like, you think all the combos about Tupac and Will distracted from what this book really has to offer.
Speaker 2: Because I do, yeah, and I knew that.
Speaker 10: I knew.
Speaker 2: I knew it was going to be a lot of distractions, right, and I was like, hopefully this book will have legs so that once all of the you know, the chatter dies down, we can get to the real components of the book. Now, people who've actually read the book are on it, right, They see that. So it's a journey of.
Speaker 5: Here, it's a journey of somebody trying to find their worthiness, which is, you know, all of us have struggled with that impost syndrome, not feeling worthy. If you read the book, you see somebody really laying it out in detail, the journey to get to that place of.
Speaker 2: Worthiness, and it's a universal struggle. You know, we all do it in different ways, right, it's a universal struggle. And so yeah, that's I really wanted to lay that out in the way that I did, especially once again just dismantling these ideas of perfection, you know, because we also have these societal romantic ideas of what somebody in my position, what my life should look like, who I should be within it, you know what I'm saying. And it's like no, no, no, Like real life is real life no matter what station you sit in at period.
Speaker 5: You know, do you regret leading with a lot of that stuff, leading with a lot of to talk about will to talk about pop because you know, those just became sound bites and headlines on the internet clips.
Speaker 7: That you know.
Speaker 2: It's so difficult because when you're dealing with media, that's that's what that's what people want attach to people not interested, you know, that's not the clickbait. The journey part of it. The clickbait is you know, the Tupac, the will you know, so you got to kind of get past the clickbait where people get exhausted with that and that dies down and then people can get with the real But it's hard to avoid it. Honestly, it's hard to avoid.
Speaker 1: It, all right. We got more with Jada Pinkett Smith. When we come back, don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning. Yet we're back. It's the Breakfast Club dj n V Charlamagne the God, and we're still kicking it with Jada Pinkett Smith, her book Worthy is out right now. We look at your life and we see the wedding, we see the trips, we see all of that. When did you realize and say, I need to fix this because this isn't right with me? What was that moment?
Speaker 2: I would say that I got slammed up against a wall, probably when I was really confronted with some really heavy suicidal thoughts, when I was looking for cliffs to drive over, you know, so that my suicide would look like an accident so my kids wouldn't think that I committed suicide. I did a plant medicine journey ayahuasca.
Speaker 5: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Let me know when I got you and that that was a real awakening for me, you know, when I really had to be confronted with my own shadow, my own self hatred, and it was so strong and it was so scary. I was like, whoa, I didn't need I thought it was I didn't even want to be with that, and I'm like asking somebody else to contend with that. That was the first moment that I realized, oh, Jada, you you got some stuff.
Speaker 1: To deal with. And what got you to that point? Because most people would look on the outside and be like, you know, she's rich, she's a movie star, she's dating another movie star, she has beautiful kids, your mom is still there. Like it looks like to the outside, the life is perfect. So what in that perfect life on the outside made you feel imperfect or made you not feel like this is what I want.
Speaker 2: It was like dealing with the foundational wounds, right. I hadn't done, I hadn't doubled. And that's what we most of us don't even know what our foundational wounds are. We don't even know we're foundationally wounded. Right, And so it's started a childhood. You know, you got two parents who are addicts and you're not the priority, right, and then just the levels and just the trauma that gets built upon what that environment it's like, right, And I thought that making it would heal it all. You know, success takes care of everything right, and then it was like, Okay, made it to Hollywood, that's not it. And then I met this fantastic guy and I was on this world wind of romance with Will, and I was like, he's gonna fix it. You know what I'm saying. He's gonna He is the Knight and shining armor, He's the Savior Prince. He's gonna fix it. So it went from one false belief to the next. And I talk about trying to check all the boxes. It's like, checked all boxes, what's left, right, and then having to realize, oh man, oh yeah, you're not dealing with your stuff. That's what's left. So it just goes to show that we can have all of these exterior things, you know, but that's not the thing that's gonna heal the soul.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because you know when we used to watch her at table talk, people would be like, who is it, Jada Pinket take off the drug dealer, Jada drug dealer energy. You know, I never, I never When I when I read that in the book, I was like, Jay the Pinkett Smith was in the streets like that. But when you walked in, I'm like, oh, I see it, I see a little king.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, just trying to be comfortable.
Speaker 4: Sorry about that.
Speaker 5: But when people used to watch The Red Table Talk, they be like, why who Why is Jada Pinkett Smith an expert and anything? But in the book you refer to yourself as you said, you're a pseudo pseudo guru. Yeah, you said. It's in the Feeling the Range chapter that you seem to often set yourself up to fall off the edge of high and mighty them. You admit at the time you didn't know, like why talk to yourself like that?
Speaker 2: Well, because it's the truth, you know. And I think that when we're really on that game of healing, like the person that you got to be the most honest with is yourself. And a lot of times that could be that could be the most difficult when you really got to look at yourself and realize, you know, you thought you were something and now you realize that you ain't, you know, And so yeah, you just got to learn how to be deeply honest with yourself. And as I talk to myself that way, I can also hug myself in saying that.
Speaker 1: You know, now you talk about love so much, and you talk about how you felt at one time you are against marriage, right? Is that because you've seen your parents in their relationship? What changed your mind?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that was really Like I got to see my grandparents who both said to grandparents had a really long lasting marriage. But I wasn't quite sure that it was the pinnacle of happiness. And so you know, when you're young, you're a free spirit, and I'm just like, no, I can do this different because I I want to be happy. I'm not quite sure that's what happy is?
Speaker 18: Like.
Speaker 2: How can I be in a relationship and be happy? You know, I was all about the devotion of it, but I wasn't quite sure that marriage was the thing, right. It wasn't until maybe three years ago.
Speaker 1: Three years ago. You've been married all this time?
Speaker 5: Years ago, said you wasn't years ago?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, not that I wasn't happy, not that I wasn't happy, But I got to see the power of marriage three years ago. I got to see the power not even well yeah, and no, right, I got to see how marriage is a it is a holy path for real, right, just in regards to learning about love, because it takes a long time to break down all the different false beliefs that we have about love, right, and and the thing about a holy matrimony. And it's not to say that you're not gonna go through some unholy stuff, right, But when two people are committed and just refuse to quit, what you can learn about yourself, about your partner, and about love in general. You can't really learn by going from one relationship to the next looking for the honeymoon stage over and over again, right, specifically if you're interested in learning about unconditional love, you know. And so I was like, oh, snap, this is what it's about.
Speaker 1: You know, years ago, Like what was that moment three years ago?
Speaker 2: I would probably say, when we'll going through through the process of emancipation. And then once he finished emancipation and the stuff that started coming up for him, right, and that's when he was like, hey, can we get back into some therapy together, and the stuff that was coming up for him and the kind of conversations we were starting to have. I was like, Okay, here we are.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm like, And everybody starts their journeys in different ways at different times, you know what I'm saying. But that's when I knew I was like, okay, and then we went to the oscars and that whole thing happened, and it wasn't I didn't even think twice about it when I saw what was happening, and I was like, I'm not leaving this man's side. I'm not leaving this man's side.
Speaker 1: I will keep a lock. We got more with Jada Pinketsmith. Her book Worthy is out right now, so don't move. It's to Breakfast Club. Good morning, Good morning everybody. It's dej nv Charlamage the guy. We are to Breakfast Club. We're still kicking it with Jada Pinkett Smith, Charlomagne.
Speaker 5: You think, up until the point of three years ago, do you think y'all had had just more of a trauma bond.
Speaker 2: I would say yes and no. I would say we had a trauma bond, and then underneath of it there was this real deep friendship, this spiritual bond too, because you can start breaking through your trauma and start talking through your trauma. And if it's just a trauma bond, once you start to heal and you start going your separate ways, it's done. If it's just a trauma bond, right, But when you can feel that that spiritual bind once you're doing the healing, and that spiritual bind is just yoking you tighter, then you know it's something else, you know, and you really have to have the discernment to know the difference, you know what I'm saying, because sometimes you do just have a trauma bomb with somebody and sometimes you just got to get away, you know what I'm saying. And so you you you gotta really like sit with yourself and have the discernment to know the difference.
Speaker 5: Now that's real, because sometimes you heal so much you be like, man, you look around like, oh, like nobody exactly.
Speaker 2: That's real talking, yeah, straight out, because that's what we do.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like that. And that's part of it too, you know, And that's part of why we have to have the courage because innately, you know, once you start healing, a whole lot is gonna change.
Speaker 1: You know, with the Oscar situation, did that save your marriage? And the reason I asked that is, you know, I've been married twenty two years, Charlamae's been married a long time. But your wife will always be mad at you, right, but you can't be mad at him. I could be mad at him him down. Yeah, So did that save your marriage?
Speaker 2: I would say what it definitely did is that it accelerated what I think was already in the process. It was in that moment that I knew. I was like, oh no, no, no, Na, we gonna do this together. I'm gonna be by your side, and I know that I'll never I'll never leave your side, right Because it's funny because an emotional crisis, I didn't blink.
Speaker 4: I didn't blink.
Speaker 2: And that's when I knew deep down inside.
Speaker 20: I'm like, you know what I'm saying. It's like, and you there's no getting away from him. You've been trying, you know, really you don't want to go nowhere?
Speaker 2: Stop it. And so was that incident that I knew right away, Yo, we in it, and so that was it. But I think that was the trajectory anyway. It just in an instant solidified it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 5: You know if y'all have you know, if y'all have been separated all of these years, if you read the book, you realize that, right and will never said anything about it. Why did you feel now with the time to reveal that information. Was it just to sell books?
Speaker 2: Like some people think, Oh no, it's part of the process, you know. It was part of like part of my self worth journey, like I had to really, I was leaning on will in a lot of ways. And I think for women specifically, how a lot of times our relationships are used to identify us, you know what I mean. And so I thought that was a really important process and so much a really important thing to talk about because so much of my journey happened in that time when it was just me, you know, And I think that and I also wanted people to realize that sometimes marriages go through breaks like that, you know. And for people out there who are thinking about, yo, should I just get separated, should I, you know, get a divorce, I'm like, man, just take time for you. Have the courage if you got the courage to sign divorce papers or you know, go to lawyers and get just have the courage to figure out how to just take time for you and then see what's showing up for you, right, because sometimes divorce is the answer, sometimes legal separation is the answer. But first and foremost, just take a year, take a year, see what shows up, you know, before you start going into like all these other processes, because sometimes we can act so quickly out of any and frustration and we just want to get away, and we think that's the answer, you know, And in some cases it is, but in some cases it's not.
Speaker 1: How did you feel when you talk about the truth, right, and you say a big reason of this book is you can help other people, other marriage, other couples that are dealing with it and don't know how to express it because they've never seen it right. And the press and the public says, you know, Jada is embarrassing well, and you just said you were doing it because you wanted to live in your truth. So what do you say to those people that thought that it was just embarrassing embarrassing well and dehumanizing him and it and take it as his masculine I.
Speaker 5: Want to quote Anna in the Barrow of the View, She said, you are emasculating and embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I think if she took time to read the book. You know, I think that if you want to just read headlines, I could see how that could be confusing. But the book is right here, and you have two books you can read, actually read my book and Will's book, which is so great that a lot of people are doing that, you know. But people have the right to their opinions. And I always know that anybody who's saying that hasn't really done that homework. But you gotta expect it too because of what the headlines are. You know what clickbait is. So Will knows what it is. I know what it is, my kids know what it is. And more importantly, Gray Supreme does too, right, and so that's really that's really all I'm concerned with it. At the end of the day.
Speaker 5: Well, Will was up here.
Speaker 1: He talked about being insecure, a little bit about Tupac. Did y'all ever have that conversation? Because as a man, when you're a little insecure, I almost feel like you play both sides. You want to be yourself, but you want to show that you're better than the person that's making him insecure. You're tougher than, or smarter than, or more romantic than, or a poet then a better rapper than. Did y'all ever have that conversation?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that we had conversations in that way. It was just like, you know, we came up in the era where it was so unusual for a man and a woman to be friends, right, I mean, really think about it, like that's that's more of an open idea now, right, But just think in our era that was just like friends.
Speaker 1: They had dat like what what what?
Speaker 20: Right?
Speaker 2: And so I think for him it was just like getting your mind around around that, you know, and that the kind of friendship that we had because we had such a you know, tight friendship that you know, was very impactful on my life, you know. So I think it was just getting the understanding around that Tupac and I could be friends, you know, and that that that he was a part of my life and that way, and so just we had a lot of conversations around just those ideas.
Speaker 1: How do you get over that?
Speaker 2: I think he just realized that. And I really can't speak for will you shuld probably ask him when he comes back, But I think he just realized that that's what it was, you know what I mean, it was like, that's what it was. It's like, you know, that was that beautiful friendship. And I think once he really and started as he got older, started having his own friendships with women, like, oh, that that is possible.
Speaker 5: How are you with that?
Speaker 2: I'm listen, I always told will you need some female friends?
Speaker 1: Did you yes?
Speaker 2: Because I think I think I think men and women. I think men do need female friends because and women need male friends. And I actually think men once they.
Speaker 5: Have daughters, I got full, I got four, and you got four daughters and majority female.
Speaker 2: But I see, I would now let me ask you a question. Would you say that having daughters helped you understand?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: And see? I think that's what happened to will I think once Willow came, you know, and then he started to realize a different relationship with the feminine, right, and then he realized, oh, wow, you know you can have relationships with women that are non sexual or however, y'all have to, you know, manage that in your own minds.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: I think once Willow came, she was his teacher on that for sure, and so he was able to have female friends.
Speaker 1: I will keep a lock. We got more with Jada Pinkett Smith. Her book Worthy is out right now, so don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, We're back. It's the Breakfast Club. DJ and V Charlamagne the God, and we're still kicking With Jada Pinkett Smith. Her book Worthy is out right now, Charlamagne.
Speaker 5: In the No Soccer Mom chapter, right, you shoot down every rumor there's ever been about y'all that y'all are swingers, that y'all were both gay and playing each other's bids, that y'all was sleeping with whomever you choose. How does it feel in twenty twenty three to still have those same rumors out about people you love, like Will and doing.
Speaker 1: I know that just came out too recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and let me just say this, it's ridiculous, right, and it's nonsense. And this is a person that tried a shake down, a money shakedown that didn't work. We're gonna take legal action because it's one thing to have your opinion about somebody versus just making up salacious, malicious stories. So that's actionable. So we're gonna roll with that, you know what I mean, it's not true. We gonna take care of it.
Speaker 5: And that's that there was a money shakedown probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, money before. Well, it's it's based around this person's idea that they in some way were doing business around Will's book and that they spent money or what have you, and that they needed to be compensated. So he already tried to do this money shakedown. Will was willing to give him a certain amount or what have you, and he didn't take it. So this whole situation is based on that give aunt wife though just well because of some business that they had. And I don't know the complete details about it, but that's about to come out, because like I told you, about to take legal action.
Speaker 5: You should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we are for sure.
Speaker 1: I was asking, how's Will dealing with it? You know, with all.
Speaker 5: Released a statement.
Speaker 2: Will, Here's the one good thing about Will. Will's always gonna find the funny. I figured that kid's always gonna find the funny, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And so the murder, murder, kill kill, Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 2: You have to because it's absolutely ridiculous, you know what I'm saying. So all you have is you just gotta laugh about it, you know. And it's unfortunate because.
Speaker 5: Did he ask you, like, do I look like I give off bottom?
Speaker 2: And he was like, do you believe it?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 4: But we just laughed about it.
Speaker 1: I gotta asked about Tyreese that there was a rumor that Tyree called you.
Speaker 5: He said he called you on the phone. He was he was, he was on med, he was out of it. Yeah, and he told you I ain't no killer, Jada, I ain't no killer, but don't push me. Oh was like the sweetest joy and that's getting you don't know why he is.
Speaker 2: So Tyese did call me for sure, and he was he was definitely in a in a state. And I was really concerned, you know, And I'm just called.
Speaker 5: Tupac though he said he said him and Charlie Max said he quoted Tupac.
Speaker 2: He called Tupac.
Speaker 5: No, he said, he called you and quoted Tupac.
Speaker 10: He may have.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something. I was so worried at that time when he made that call about his his state, because it was really deeply concerning that I don't I couldn't even tell you exactly what happened because I'm trying to think about who I can get there, Who can I get in the house, how can I get him help? Yeah, And so that I was, I was in I was, I was a little panicked, you know, to just make sure that he was okay and that nothing was going to happen. He wasn't gonna hurt himself or anybody else. So that I couldn't even I don't even remember.
Speaker 5: What he said.
Speaker 7: What he said.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about the book and a debate I had at dinner a couple of weeks ago with some friends, because in the book, you say that you and Will decided to separate in every way except legally. Yeah, and y'all would have complete transparency, no secrets about what y'all were doing, at whom y'all were doing it with, right, And the debate we were having was or early in the books, she said that they've never been in an open relationship. But isn't that an open relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the difference between that. That's when you're you're in an open relationship and you are still intimate with each other. Right, at that point, we went our separate ways. So it's as if we are divorced, separated and just trying to figure out how we're going to go about it. But at that particular point in time, we were no longer relating in that way, right, because for us, it was over, it was done. So if you're in an open relationship, that means that you are still in a relationship with one another romantically and you are okay with being with other people romantically.
Speaker 5: Like y'all were separated.
Speaker 2: We weren't separated, like you're done, done, done, done done.
Speaker 5: Why did you choose not to say August's name in the book?
Speaker 2: Really? Just too? I felt like he's been through enough, you know what I mean? And I just wanted to be respectful in that manner, I really did.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like that's something that you need to heal like that situation?
Speaker 2: I'm hoping at some point, you know, I'm definitely hoping at some point for sure.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I wanted to ask you too, if you pick a crew to run with in real life, would you choose between the cast or Set it Off or the cast of girls set it Off?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a hard one, Damn Charlamagne, that's a hard one.
Speaker 1: Set it Off. They was rioters, they were, for sure.
Speaker 2: But you know both crews they got, you know, they got something real special. Yeah, I'm gonna plead the fifth on that.
Speaker 5: I only got two more questions, like, when you having these conversations, now, how do you know in your words that this isn't the pseudo guru using rationale and borrowed wisdom to tell you what you want to hear?
Speaker 2: Because it sits so beautifully in my heart. Now, what I will say about that is that's why you gotta always stay open because as we continue to grow and learn, you know, It's Bruce Lee said, it best be like water. You know what I mean, because that's where I'm sitting right now. Who knows when I come back, if you know what it'll be then because we just got to stay open. We gotta stay fluid. But for now, it's what speaks to me deeply, you know, And that's all we got, you know, for the moment.
Speaker 5: My last question, and it's a quote, and the quote is other people's opinion to you, whether it's good or bad, should not be ground and what you base your self worth, if your value is inherent within you, what matters the most is whether you know you are worthy. So do you know you're worthy?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And you know what it really comes from. And I wanted to say this in regards to the question you asked about self worth really dealing with self judgment, Like once we can cure our self judgment in a certain manner, right, people's opinion about you can only affect you if you believe it, you know what I mean. Once you really know who you are. Once you really know your self worth, anything that anybody else has to say about you really can't affect you, you know. And so you know, I know how much work it's taken from me to get to know myself. I can't expect anybody else to know me like that, you know what I mean? So I have to be willing and accept whatever opinions come my way.
Speaker 5: I get it absolutely. Yeah, all right, Jada Picks Smith. Lady and gentlemen, that's right. Thank you, appreciate for joining us so much.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: This was beautiful. The book worthy is out right now make sure you get it and thank you, thank you. Don't be a stranger, No, I won't. It's the breakfast club. It's Jada Picky Smith.
Speaker 7: Get you are, I'm a fat and all that shit around your They want this.
Speaker 4: Man to wait for the top to make a judgment of who was going to be on the Donkey of the day. They chose you. It's a breakfast club, bitch you who's donkey of the day today?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: Donk here today? Because anyone out there who is reporting stolen property in bribes to the I R S. What okay, uncle Shla, what the hell? Are you talking about on this Monday morning. Listen to me, man. I usually tell y'all do whatever the IRS tells you to do. But this one, this one sounds like all the alphabet boys ill inspire and to make sure you end up under the jail. Okay, this sounds like a coordinating plan between the IRS and the FBI. Because if you stole the car in twenty twenty one, took a bribe in twenty twenty two, the IRS wants you to report it on your taxes. Okay, see what a stolen call? Yes see. These provisions went viral Monday, I think it was last Monday, after the tweet went out and it said tax season is around the corner. Remember to report your income from illegal activities and stolen property to the IRS. Let's go to Fox five News for the report, police.
Speaker 18: The IRS or just people to report just about everything that IRS says. If you seal report it's failed market value. And if you receive a bribe or get extra cash from illegal activities, make sure to include that in your income as well. For those worry the IRS won't pass the information to launch enforcement. That's because federal taxa okay, prevents federal employees from sharing tax return information.
Speaker 5: Okay, don't get scar now, miss Pat.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? The loss they mind?
Speaker 8: Black folks don't even want to report cash apping square exactly.
Speaker 4: You're gonna ask me to report a stolen call.
Speaker 5: Ain't gonna tell you it's not bride. Ain't gonna tell you. They're not gonna turn it over to law enforcement. Don't you fall for that?
Speaker 8: You're going to jail. Ain't nobody stupid do that? Nobody nobody with our skint calling.
Speaker 5: I'm don't fall for that. All the alphabets right next to each other for a reason, Okay, FBI I R S C I A D E A F B I G. They all part of the same family. I don't care what anyone says. Don't you trust it. If you steal property, you must report this fair market value in your income in the year you steal it, unless you return it to his rightful owner in the same year. Well, what if you're dealing drugs like Ms Pat used to do?
Speaker 8: Okay, you won't stop bringing my history over there and there king jail Okay, like you had an old script club.
Speaker 5: You also got to report bribes and kickbacks. You hear that all you DJs and program directors out there taking money to play records, you have to report your bribes and kickbacks. Okay, Who in their right mind is about to fall for this. This is not even something you should entertain with a lawyer. President, Okay. The whole point of committing these crimes is a to get some money and be yeah, to get some tax free money. All right. I've literally been reading Ray Kwan's memory from staircase to stage all week wa hear what I said? My visit line okay, and I've been reading it all week. No, it's in my visit line.
Speaker 4: Wh won't you take them off? You're trying to keep them straight, ain't you? That ain't necessary? Ray Cat, I see you take your visit line.
Speaker 18: Up the top.
Speaker 5: I gotta wear them at work. Y'all know I should have just said book, but I've reading. But I've been reading the book all weekend. Okay. And he talks about one of the perks of drug dealings that you got tax free money. And I don't remember the exact quote, but he basically says, why would he get a job, work all those hours only to get the government half when that's the legal activities and make all that tax free money. So yeah, I know we live in this era where people act all liberated and they want to act like they are accepting of all things. But I'm telling you right now, this is the equivalent of your significant other telling you. Just tell me you cheating. I won't get mad. Just go ahead and met your dirt. Tell me what you did, and it's all good. You ever did that? Somebody?
Speaker 4: Not what I did? I did. I ain't. I ain't paid on text some adult dealing money.
Speaker 8: But I went to the skating ring and brought me some joinanism Levi's different color fleet lines. It wasn't the government problem. Hey, the government ain't. He never helped me bagged up a rock, so why would I give them a percentage of it? They didn't stand on that corner. They didn't help me put that dumping my kids draws. They didn't help me pull it out of my draws. You didn't participate in the business.
Speaker 1: Should I help you? He meant?
Speaker 5: Did you.
Speaker 1: What you meant?
Speaker 5: You go what you mean?
Speaker 4: If there's a line that's.
Speaker 5: Confused, all I'm saying is, don't fall of that. Okay, all right? You think the same government that that does nothing but lie to you, is gonna be truthful with you now, Okay, I'm gonna trust the same government that has proven time and time again that they are not to be trusted. Okay. I think they saw how people, how stupid people was with their PPP loans, and they said, what else can we do to get more of them to lock themselves up?
Speaker 4: No, let me say this to y'all.
Speaker 8: If it don't require your solid security number, don't report it.
Speaker 1: That's what I say.
Speaker 4: Then the pp loan requires your security. My friend going to jail for that.
Speaker 8: PPP low I wanted my friend I went to a one point five million dollars and they're looking at me like they're crazy. I know they broke, but I ain't saying nothing. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 5: So do you do you think people should uh you know, follow their crimes on their taxes?
Speaker 4: Who the hell the I campone file here crime on his taxes. If the whites don't do it, then the blacks don't think.
Speaker 5: I don't think O component that pore taxing. That's how they listen. The only way this would work is if everyone who actually did this was a granted immunity from prosecution, prostitution prosecution. O. Man, if there's no legal protection for that, there's no legal protection that shields them from criminal prosecution for the offenses they report on their taxes. What's the point If you think this government is about to give a tax return for committing crimes. If you think this government is just gonna accept those crimes like legal employment, then go ahead and do your thing, because I need content for donkey today. Anyway, Hey, I.
Speaker 8: Remember back in the day, they were asking everybody to turn in their guns to go see Janet Jackson.
Speaker 4: Y'all remember that in Alma. Why Janet Jackson.
Speaker 8: I don't know what was going on in around them, but they asked everybody turning their guns for free concert ticket.
Speaker 4: Then two weeks later, everybody gets shot because.
Speaker 5: Had no guns.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, damn you do you remember that?
Speaker 4: You look it up there in Alowna.
Speaker 8: They were asking you for Janet Jackson ticket, you turning your pistol, and everybody got shot the next week.
Speaker 4: Don't do it.
Speaker 5: Please give everybody who will be reporting their stolen property and bribe to the I r S the biggest he off because I don't care what mys past stage. Some people are gonna do that.
Speaker 4: That sounds like me in the bed. What Charlamagne my legs when them crimes?
Speaker 8: Get the comings?
Speaker 4: Your hand on the back of my behind, just holding me.
Speaker 5: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: J n V. CHARLAMAGNEA god, we are the breakfast Club. Now if you're just joining us, we're talking about Jada Pinkett Smith. She was on the show earlier. By the way, we have our guest co host Easy Baby with us this morning as well, and we were talking about in relationships, marriages or whatever it may be, your significant other, having a friend of the opposite sex. Now, this is what Jada pink Smith said when we was up here. He talked about being insecure a little bit about Tupac. Did y'all ever have that conversation, because as a man, when you're a little insecure, I almost feel like you play both sides. You want to be yourself, but you want to show that you're better than the person that's making him insecure. Did y'all ever have that conversation?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that we had conversations in that way. It was just like, you know, we came up in the era where it was so unusual for a man and a woman to be friends in our.
Speaker 1: Era, that was just like friends, they had to be dating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what what right? And so I think for him it was just like getting your mind around around that, you know, and that the kind of friendship that we had because we had such a you know, tight friendship that you know, was very impactful on my life.
Speaker 1: All right, let's discuss what are your thoughts that start with you? Baby?
Speaker 15: I don't know, I feel like relationships with the opposite sex are necessary, Like how can you just be in this world and just be around people that have the same private parts you have? You're gonna you may streamline your thinking, you can't really get opposed you know, feelings or thoughts. So I think it's necessary. But I think you also have to have respect for your partner. Like I went and marry somebody that didn't trust me in a room without them. So you gotta trust that I'm gonna put you first, and I'm gonna honor the vows that I'm made to you, and that you know, I'm not gonna put nobody in our circle that could threaten what we got.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and in my relationship with me and my wife, we don't really trust too many people. So for us, it has to be mutual friends, right, meaning you know, we meet them together, like not like Charlotmae said earlier, like I can't just meet you at the grocery store. Now we're friends, and it's not going to be like that. It has to be some type of establishment and my wife has to approve, and with her, I have to approve. Outside of that. Now we're not taking no new friends, and it has to be our friends, like you know, I mean, I should be able to call that person like you should be able to call that person. It should be a cohesive type of situation.
Speaker 5: Charlotte y, I never even think about it until this discussion comes up. I got mad homegirls. Yeah, my homegirls and my wife's friends too. In fact, they probably like her more than they like me. Everybody does, like so I don't even like this discussion is like very it's silly to me, it's immature. You know a lot of people feel that way because sometimes they got insecurities and they immature, or it's new.
Speaker 1: Friends and sometimes people are not around for the right reason. And we know this, and I know especially and I hate to say this. A lot of felas sometimes will try to befriend your girl, not because they want to be a friend your girl's friend, they want to smash.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm never trying to befriend nobody. I'm never trying to befriend a man's girl. Like that's not happening.
Speaker 1: Like people do that.
Speaker 5: There's reasons why. You know, either your friends or your friends or even these new people who may come into your life. Y'all might work together, you know what I mean, y'all might be doing projects together. Like anytime I'm going to be spending time with anyone, my wife is gonna know who that person is, you know what I mean, whether it's a man or a woman. Hey we're doing some and such with this individual, or hey we're all going out to dinner. We're all going my wife is gonna be to everybody like there's no woman in my life that's my friend that ain't out.
Speaker 15: Wifeer and a lot of people are taking like teenage drama into big age relationships, like you know, you had to worry about this stuff in high school. People break up and get together with a new person next week. It's really not the same when you're forty.
Speaker 5: If you can't have a platonic relationship with somebody from the opposite sex. Something wrong with you, bro.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the phone lines. We have dupre on the line, Duprix.
Speaker 12: Man, what's the djella man?
Speaker 5: And I guess busy baby, what's up? Dupree?
Speaker 1: Talk to us? Dupree.
Speaker 9: So I was looking for what they will talk about. I definitely got female friends. I don't really hang out with dudes. And my baby mama, who's now my fiance, she don't really be liking it to be jealous and.
Speaker 12: Stuff like that.
Speaker 9: And they just had a party and I'm like, and I'm trying to go to the party. No, you ain't going to be turking and stuff. And I'm like, gonna meet it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but why would you bring your baby mama there? Why would you bring with you?
Speaker 9: So when they hit me with the invite, I'm like, uh, we just got to get it. I'm like, man, I know she gonna want to come, and it was like that's wool. She could come, but she still was social type of way. So I'm like, man, whatever I end up, I want to sweep. I wake up in the morning and looked on social media. They definitely was working so it was just like after the dude though, that's like get around. That's how I to the homegirls.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 15: But if you had included her in that friendship from the beginning, it wouldn't have been days working, it would have been weed working.
Speaker 4: It would have been a whole.
Speaker 9: But I probably them made her friends though to it like I can understand, like them may your friends that you ain't gonna really want to be around them girls because you don't know.
Speaker 5: But you.
Speaker 4: Supposed to be the bridge between that though.
Speaker 15: You supposed to be the bridge between your friends and your girlfriend, and that that should have already been better than it is.
Speaker 9: I would say for the most part, she was cool with something like cordial.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: That's when you not wanted to come around.
Speaker 13: You could have came around even.
Speaker 9: When you cooler.
Speaker 1: You was like I got the invitation. He was like, damn, you know my wife gon you know you know I have to bring her. You didn't say, you didn't make it seem like she was invited.
Speaker 9: You her friends be kicking it. I ain't chilling with this, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean?
Speaker 9: You go with your friends. These are my friends.
Speaker 10: This is who I grew up with.
Speaker 9: I've beening them to seventh grades.
Speaker 16: You know what I mean.
Speaker 9: We're thirty years old now, so it's like at any point in time you like, oh yeah, I've been I've been new there with your homegrols, I'm gonna.
Speaker 12: Hang with your I don't have plenty of girls.
Speaker 9: I'm picking up with tall, you know what I mean. But that's on you to choose felt some type of way. You're never going to come up nay.
Speaker 5: Like BZ said, you gotta beat the bridge, bro like you and if those are really your friends, they gonna absolutely not only want to meet your fiance, they're gonna want to accept her and embrace her as a friend too.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 4: Who's this?
Speaker 1: Hey, Yanny? Good morning?
Speaker 13: Talk to us like the egg, like the pianist, not the peeness.
Speaker 1: What all right ahead?
Speaker 14: Yanni?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So my.
Speaker 19: Take on as a like, I'm a girl that have really don't have many female friends because just acts funny sometimes. But I believe like you guys are saying, if you have a friend that you've had for a long time, then everyone should be friends and everyone should be comfortable with it. For a girl, it's easier to have dudes as friends because they're gonna think, I know how you get down. They're gonna think one day maybe it might happen, but they're gonna still continue to be loyal.
Speaker 9: I think when the dude has.
Speaker 19: A female friend, they be it's more like if he if he even if you get to know him.
Speaker 9: Because I don't know.
Speaker 13: I'm a female.
Speaker 19: I don't know how females get down. So I wouldn't be really comfortable with bad, but on my part, I would. I wouldn't have a bottle with having my dude friends and knowing my dude.
Speaker 15: You know, so you are right with it because you feel like you can control whether or not it goes down because you know you've given them access or you're denying access. But when it comes to your man, you feel like he can't control himself. He just if they open it up, he just diving in.
Speaker 19: Well I'm not saying totally, but you know, I mean personally, I just feel like guys got that little extra okay maybe or you know, let it get a little too closed. You know what's friend's ears and like, nah, we're not doing that.
Speaker 1: So no, okay, thank you. Janni eight hundred and five eighty five one oh five one. If you're just joining us, we're talking about Jada Pinkinsmith. Something she said during our interview about men having women friends and women having men friends. We'll discuss when we come back as the Breakfast Club. Good morning warning everybody, as cenj Envy Charlamagne to God, be all the Breakfast Club now if you're just joining us. Jada Pinckersmith was here last hour. We was talking about men having women friends and women having men friends. And this is how a conversation started. When we was up here, he talked about being insecure, a little bit about Tupac. Did y'all ever have that conversation? Because as a man, when you're a little insecure, I almost feel like you play both sides. You want to be yourself, but you want to show that you're better than the person that's making him insecured. Did y'all ever have that conversation?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that we had conversations in that way. It was just like, you know, we came up in the era where it was so unusual for a man and a woman to be friends. In our era, that was just like friends.
Speaker 1: They had to be dating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like what what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 20: Right?
Speaker 2: And so I think for him it was just like getting your mind around around that, you know, and that the kind of friendship that we had because we had such a you know, tight friendship that you know, was very impactful on my life.
Speaker 1: So we're asking eight hundred and five eighty five one oh five one, what are your thoughts now? Busy Baby is our guest co host today. She feels like men should have women friends and women should have men friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 15: No, you can't be a well rounded individual just walking around with a whole bunch of I don't want to be in a room full of nothing but vagina.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: I feel like I grew up with the all brothers. You know, they teach me things about myself and about men that I need to know. So as I get older, I don't know. I got male best friends, and my husband's cool with that, and I'm okay with him having girlfriends respect absolutely.
Speaker 1: Like the caller said earlier that the thing he was saying that, you know, he didn't know if he wanted to bring his fiance around his other friends. I'm the different. I'm totally different. When I go out, Baby, you want to come because I'm going to have just as much friend with the homies than with my wife as well. Like anybody ever seen me out or I've been out anywhere, I bring my wife with me. I have a great time with my wife. I drink, my wife drink.
Speaker 5: It don't matter.
Speaker 1: We have a good time. If we go to a strip club, we both tipp it. If we go to I don't know, casina, we both gambling. Like we have that much fun.
Speaker 15: But it's a little questionable when somebody sends an invite to DJ Envy as opposed to you and your wife, Like the invite should be coming to both of you anyway, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: And that's what I told the dude last time, Like when he said he didn't want to bring his fiance around his friends, Your friends should not only want to meet your fiance, they should be embracing your fiance and bringing her into the circle of friends with over the arms. Correct.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go to the phone lines. Hello, who's this.
Speaker 21: This is Lydia.
Speaker 1: Hey, Lydia, good morning.
Speaker 19: Good morning.
Speaker 21: I listen to y'all every day.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what's your thoughts?
Speaker 22: So my thoughts is I believe it's okay for you to us to have girl guy or girlfriends as long as they are respectful of the relationship flash.
Speaker 21: Marriage because we are married. So and then I work in the night life part time, so I'm a bartender waitress and I have a bunch of guy friends that I work with for years. And when my husband and I first started dating, he was very like accepting of everything and everybody because everybody was like cool and respectful. And once I got married, like everybody was like, nah, she's married, leave her alone, leave her alone, like they were very perspective of me. So yeah, and then his girls grow homegirls that he's had, there's only ever been one person that I have to be like, she's not your friends, because a girl just knows when somewhere trying to do so.
Speaker 1: But I will say that that might change it a little bit too right. And the reason I say that might change if you're if you're working and guys are hollering at you all day long, I think that can make any guy feel a little insecure.
Speaker 7: Why I just.
Speaker 21: Anything like because they don't touch me, they don't do anything, Like, they can look and they can say what they want to say. And he's not bothered by it because he knows at the end of the night, I'm coming home.
Speaker 5: That's right. So what you're what you're calling being bothered and is actually just called being insecure. Yes, I said, but why so you don't trust your woman?
Speaker 1: No, it's not a matter about trusting. It's just a certain job. So when you bartend, the most bartender is I would say a majority of them. They when they serve drinks, they flirt a little, right, We've all had a bartend that flirt, yes or no?
Speaker 15: No, I think your kind. I think you're just kind. You're nice to everybody.
Speaker 1: That's your ego.
Speaker 5: You think you think everybody flirting with you, that's your ego?
Speaker 1: Right, light skin, right, Red the bartend has flirt sometimes.
Speaker 2: All the time, Red l skin too.
Speaker 1: Man, do you flirt at all with with people that that brodricks?
Speaker 8: No? I don't.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you guys something, I'm just nice.
Speaker 21: I'm just nice and then they're like, just nice and then they mistake it for flirting. But I'm like, no, y'a, I'm not flirting, and then I have.
Speaker 5: To be mean too, Like I want all guys out there to know that's your ego talking. If you think that every girl being kind to you is flirting. And if you think every girl being just nice to you means that they want you, that's all ego bro brod and and and and you helen insecure if you think that, you're hell insecure and you don't trust your woman, if you think guys hollering at her, if God's hollering at her, bothers you, Bartend is definitely flirt all the time. I would say all the time.
Speaker 9: But they flirt.
Speaker 15: But everybody flirts, like the lady at Walmart begging your groceries is flirting.
Speaker 5: All she said was high, have a nice days.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 15: Anywhere you go, you're gonna find what you're looking for. So if you go to the boy looking for some of the flirt, that's what she's doing.
Speaker 1: Keisha, good morning, good morning, good morning. Talk to Keishi. What's your thoughts me personally?
Speaker 13: Like I said, like Jada said, my immature self wanted to be friends with my man's friends all the time when I was younger. Me now I don't even care that's your man, like those are your friends. I don't want to be friends with the girlfriends. I don't want to be friends with their wife.
Speaker 5: Just let me do me.
Speaker 13: You go have fun with their friends, and I'm good.
Speaker 5: Yeah. If it happens organically, oh yeah, that's great.
Speaker 13: I don't really care anymore. I'm just you know, I've gotten older, I'm more mature like at this point. If it's beneficial to you, fine, If it's not beneficial to youth, cut it out. For me, it's not beneficial, so I don't want any parts of it.
Speaker 1: Jaka kisha. All right, what's the more of the story, guys.
Speaker 4: More of the story is friends.
Speaker 2: How many of us have the let's be friends?
Speaker 5: I think. I think the moral of the story is friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity. That's what I think.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't matter what private part you have.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right. The breakfast club, come morning, the breakfast club holding everybody EJ D. Charlamagne the god we are the breakfast club who was on a positive note?
Speaker 5: Positive note is this man? You are responsible for your life. You can't keep blaming somebody else for your dysfunction.
Speaker 1: Breakfast club, you don't finish or y'all done.