Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Guilty of Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always, and joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's up man? How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Great man?
Speaker 1: How are you? I'm doing fantastic. It was a great holiday obviously with New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Watched some great football games yesterday, the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl. We're fantastic, So I hope everybody else had a good New Year's New Year's weekend as well. We're gonna have a bit of a New Year's Day themed show today. We're gonna have some New Year's Resolution Chargers Edition, and then we also have received some questions from you guys, our listeners, and we'll address those today. So it should be a fun one. A lot of stuff to dive into. A lot of different questions, draft questions, coaches questions, regular in off season questions. You guys brought it today and I'm really excited to do dive into some of these. That being said, Tyler and I are fans of the team just like you guys are. We are not employees of the Chargers. This is this show is dedicated to our opinions and ours alone. They do not reflect the opinions of the Chargers organization. We're very grateful for this platform and happy to have be covering our last game. This is a week eighteen. I can't believe the end of the season is here. It's been obviously an up and down season for the team, but it's been a blast covering the team on the channel with you guys, and we appreciate all the great support from the Chargers as well as you guys, the listeners and the comments and on social media and all that good stuff. And it's just kind of a surreal feeling that the season is a few days away from wrapping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like just yesterday we were drafting Bijon Robinson at twenty one. Did not happen. He went a little bit earlier than that, and everything else is so different. Yeah. I've been an up and down season for sure, but it's still been fun regardless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always fun to cover the Chargers. I always fun to talk about stuff, watch film. You know, this is where football junkies for a reason and excited to dive in stuff today. So Like I mentioned, we're gonna do a bit of a New Year's Resolution theme for this episode. We're going to feature some stuff from the season, stuff from you know this upcoming week against the Kansas City Chiefs, you know, future resolutions as well. It's it is that time of the year, so we tried to make the content a little bit more fun today. So, Tyler, what is your biggest twenty twenty four New Year's resolution for the Chargers?
Speaker 2: The Chargers need to start winning the games that they need to win in the fourth quarter and get away from the quote unquote Charging that has played them for you could say years, you could say decades, you could say the entire franchise's history as a team that has not won the Super Bowl. You look at the last three years under Brandon Staley and the Chargers have twelve games where they lost where they had a lead, or were tied in the fourth quarter, or lost in overtime, and that, frankly, just isn't good enough. And I don't know exactly where the Charges pull from to get over the hump and win those games, but it could be from themselves, from better drafting, better signings, or another head coach and a new head coach that brings something different that allows them to flip the script in several of those moments. So Charges need to be better there. There are many things individually that I'd love the Charges to improve out of course, but overall, they got to win, and in particular these games where they're very very close, but close doesn't count. You gotta win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good place to start this conversation, you know, just being able to have that closer's mentality. We saw glimpses of it under the Brandon Stally era, obviously. You know, I think the best case there is that game in Kansas City in twenty twenty one where you know, that aggressive closer mentality was the state leading into the week. It just needs to carry out throughout the whole season. Like I obviously I watch a lot of Pactoll football. It's really the only college football that I am consuming throughout the whole year consistently. And this Washington football team that's going to play for the National championship next week is just incredibly impressive. They have ten straight wins of one touchdown or less, Like it doesn't matter who the opponent is, what kind of style, the other team brings to the table, Like they just have a way of making plays in key situations, in clutch moments, whether it's last night in the Sugar Bowl, whether it's you know, in a rainstorm against ASU, Like there's just a mentality that permeates from the coaching staff to the players that allows them to make these plays in clutch moments. And that's not something that has been around this team. And I'm hopeful that that changes with the new regime and we can see guys obviously, like justin Herbert, you know, more moments like that Raiders game where he was able to you know, come back from the finger injury and put his stand up on that game, or whether it was a Derwin James interception against Darren Waller or whatever the case may be. Like we just, you know, these players deserve to have more moments like that. For some reason. All of the closing moments that I am picturing in my head right now are games against the Raiders and Chiefs, you know, specifically like one game against the Chiefs, but it's a lot of Raiders games. So just whatever happens in those games is bring it to the rest of the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, get it and listen, that contributes to the division, right, You're thinking of these these games because they're the division games and you've got to win those to win the division. And the Charges have struggled there of course, And of course you and I were in person in that Week eighteen game against the Raiders, so I understand why you're pulling from that one. So yeah, I got to be better there, for sure.
Speaker 1: I think my resolution for twenty twenty four is to have the Chargers find a consistent run game. I think there's been far too much pressure on Justin Herbert to carry the offense over the last three years for a variety of reason. Really four years, if you want to go back that far, you know this is this is a team that has not been able to find that consistent, you know, run game. We saw glimpses of it again in twenty twenty one, glimpses of it last year. We saw two hundred and forty yards this in Week one this year. But it's it's being able to find that consistency. And this is not a singling out of any one person. This is, you know, a collective effort, and Kellen Moore has preached that from the beginning, it's all eleven guys. Like I watch a team like the Detroit Lions, and their wide receivers block their tails off every single week. And obviously they have a great offensive line and some very good backs, but it doesn't matter if everybody is not doing their jobs. And I think that is again a change that I think needs to come to Fruition. You know, this season has not. You know, that was something that was promised from Kellen Moore and dougnass Meyer coming over, and you know the changes that were made were not sufficient, obviously, But how many of these games over the last three years do the Chargers win if they have that consistent run game And it's just been moments and finding that consistency for me is really a key thing. And how I am looking at like these head coaching candidates, How I'm looking at the GMS. How I'm looking at what they're doing with Kellen Moore now that you know he's kind of taken on a larger role of the offense. How am I looking at these players over the last few weeks and their potential roles for next year going forward on our new coaching staff. So we know that justin Herbert is going to be a great quarterback regardless of who is coaching him. It's about how do you support that quarterback. And the run game for me has been severely lacking over the last three years, and I will like to see that changed in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by extension of that, my other resolution, just because we're on the same track here. The Chargers need to find alignment. And we've discussed this several times between the general manager and who they pick and the offensive coordinator and how he wants to use those players, particularly from the jump. Not every player has to be Pukinakua and breaking records and you know, fifteen hundred yards in his rookie season. I don't expect that, but the Chargers have. It's been so difficult for them. And if you want to talk about the run game, you know, the running backs and the Titans in particular, it's been difficult for these guys to get going from the jump. And if you look at their last nine skill position players on offense that they've drafted, which is Joshua Kelly, Joe Reed, kJ Hill, Josh Palmer, Trey McKitty, Larry Roundtree, Isaiah Spiller, Xander Horbath and Quintin Johnston. Those players in year one have a combined fifteen hundred and eighty one yards in their rookie seasons of those nine players, which averages about one hundred and seventy six total yards average for each of those players in their year ones, which is about ten point three yards total yards per game. These guys are not getting going for the jump. And again, not everybody has to be Pookinnakua, but these guys need to be a lot better. And I think that you have to align yourselves more because I think the GM, I think Ton Teleusco has picked good players. I think that there are coordinators who can make it work with the players that they have. These guys come together and it doesn't amount to as much as we'd hope. The Charges have really struggled to get some of these guys going. And that's why I think, you know partially why they can't close out these games. And while the run game isn't going because they take players that I think when we all look at the draft, we go, okay, yep, I see that, I see that that's a good player that could work. There's some development there, and then they get onto the field. And again, these players, those nine players average ten point three yards per game total, and that's just not good enough. So they got to be better in that regard as well.
Speaker 1: And I think when it comes to the draft, like there's a certain philosophy in evaluating players and how things get done from a front office standpoint, but at the end of the day, ay, once the once the selections are made, it's it's on the coaching staff to figure out ways to develop these players and figure in them, figured their specific roles out and allow them to become their best selves. And I don't like it's an alignment thing, but it's also an execution thing, and it's you know, having the right preparation for the draft. It's having the right preparation for the plan and being able to have the coaches who can execute that plan on a week to week basis, on a year to year basis. And you know, development is not linear. Obviously, these players who are still on the roster can still figure things out, like we've we've seen you know, players across the league be able to you know, have some struggles in the year one, then they figure it out in year two, and and that's certainly not impossible for these young guys who are maybe struggling right now, but at the end of the day, like they're on the team, it's on the coaches at this point to figure out how to use them properly or or find guys who who can and you know, execute that role in a better fashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Another resolution from you, Stephen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna highlight specifically this last week against the Kansas City Chiefs as the team closes out the twenty twenty three season. This past week we saw what I think was a very solid to you know, above average performance from mister Jordan McFadden getting his first career start at left guard. So my resolution for this week is to get more positive momentum from the last two draft classes against the Chiefs on Sunday. You know, whether that's a big Quentin Johnston game, whether that's been a big two lead Twoy Polow two game, whether that's in Isaiah Spiller touchdown or something of that matter, somebody besides Jordan McFadden, I would like to see some real positive momentum to close out the season and be able to show whoever the incoming coaching staff and GM are this kind of game tape and be able to have that evaluation. To a lesser extent, we saw a little bit of Dayon Henley on Sunday against the Broncos. He, according to Gifts Smith, was dealing with a groin injury, but when he was on the field there were some real positive moments. He was a key piece in defending that quarterback sneak from Russell Wilson that led to that stop. He had another key tackle against I think it was little Jordan Humphrey, you know, later on in that same drive. So maybe Dayan is somebody who can come in here. But the resolution here is more positive momentum from the young players heading into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I agree, go anybody listening, go make a Google sheet or Excel spreadsheet and just start making up the roster, the projected roster for next season. How many blank spaces are there? How many question marks are there on that roster? Trying to place these guys as you know, are they starters? Are they even like the second you know, the backup for the team. It's very difficult to do that right now, and I don't know that one game is going to change that. But like you said, I'd love for the momentum to carry into next season. Really start to see okay, like maybe maybe we feel better about this particular player, Maybe we don't have to reach for this other player in the draft, or we don't have to, you know, take this position so earlier, spend this much money, or whatever it is. Answering those questions would be great. Another player that I'd love to have momentum carry into in this game and carry into next season is Derwin James, who I think had a very very good game against the Broncos recently. And I know that, like we're not big for Pro Football focused grades necessarily. We like, you know, different stats, We like our eyes and what we see. But Derwin James, that was his best PFF game grade since November of twenty twenty one, and a top five game grade for him in his entire career. That is what we need to see against the Chiefs if possible. We need to see that kind of Derwin James because while we don't love using grades, that grade kind of fit what we saw just felt like we were seeing Derwin James again. It felt like we saw the best version of him and what he was able to do. Thankfully not flagged. But he was flying around, rushing the passer, hitting very hard, being very physical and aggressive. That's the kind of stuff we were used to seeing with him. That's why we all fell in love with him in twenty eighteen when he instantly took the league by storm. And so if we can start getting back to that, and if Jerwen James can continue that momentum into next season, You're feeling a lot better because I do think Derwen James sticks around. I do think he's still a very very important piece of this defense moving forward. Being a really, really great player again would be fantastic for this defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this is this is a guy who has been, you know, arguably the face of the franchise. You know. Justin Herbert is obviously the franchise quarterback, but he's not super public all the time. Derwin has been that guy a lot for this team, you know, And this is a guy who means so much to this locker room, who has consistently been, you know, one of the game captains, consistently has been the tone setter. You know, me and you were in training camp and there was you know, a bit of a defensive struggle there for a little bit, and Derwin James was the one to rally the guys and you know, uh Sante made a play and then it uh Morgan Fox made a play and everybody rallied around Derwin James. He's been one of the best safeties in the league. He's been a Pro bow player, he's been an All Pro player. I still believe that player is in there. I still believe that that guy can be brought out for an entire season in different circumstances. I do truly believe that, and I think we saw glimpses of that on Sunday against the Broncos. I would love to see that continue. You know, maybe he gets that interception that he missed this past week, Maybe he gets that on Sunday. I still think that he can be a game changing presence, and we're seeing the value of a player like him in the Ravens with Kyle Hamilton, and Derwin James is a significantly better athlete, like objectively, you know, numbers wise, is a much better athlete than Cayle Hamilton was. So there's still a place in the NFL for Derwin James. I think people are a little too harsh probably far too harsh on Derwin James this season. And I still think that with the right defensive coordinator or head coach who calls plays on defense, can get Derwin back to the player that we're used to seeing, because I think we've seen glimpses of him this season. It's just, you know, I think there's been too much on his plate. I think that the penalties, maybe there's an injury, I don't know. But I still believe in Derwin James. I think that he has a big twenty twenty four in store for this Chargers team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree, Derwin James is too good a thing to have. I don't say the same kind of season because that means it sounds like it was a really terrible season. It was not. It just wasn't the Derwin James season. It wasn't you know, what would become accustomed to. But they're going to have to lean on him quite a bit next season because as it currently stands, they're going to need at least another outside corner, a slot corner, one of the other safeties, potentially another depth corner, another depth safety. Like they're going on to have to rely on Derwin James so much because he is that guy. He is that veteran, he is the high paid guy, he is the star on defense. They might not ask him to do as much, but they're still going to allow him to be out there and be that presence, and hopefully he can kind of have the same kind of season that Khalil Mack is having where he just is that guy out there and driving this defense forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kinnembercent my last one here. This is kind of a resolution, but also kind of a wish, I guess, and that's a healthy season for Rashaun Slater in twenty twenty four, because a healthy Rashaan Slater is arguably the best left tackle in the sport. And I think we've seen him be significantly healthier over the last six weeks of the season. Specifically, Duke Manningweather said online a few weeks ago that he was dealing with a double high ankle sprain, which sounds incredibly painful to me. I can't imagine playing a football game consistently every single week on a high ankle sprain, let alone a double high ankle sprain, whatever that means. I'm not a medical expert. That being said, I can see with my eyes quality offensive line play. I can look at the numbers and see quality offensive line play, and that's what Rashaun Slater has been giving this team. You look at his first three weeks of the season, he was consistently again being graded objectively depending how you feel about PFF, he was consistently being graded in the high eighties, which is elite grades for an offensive tackle. He allowed three pressures total in the first three weeks. And then that's kind of when the injury happened. You know, after the Minnesota Vikings game and we saw some off play there. You know, there was an eight pressure game against the Jets, there was six against the Dallas Cowboys. But over the last few weeks, you know, going back to the Patriots game, you're looking at one pressure allowed there, one pressure allowed against the in the first Broncos game, two against the Raiders, zero against the Bills, and won this past week against the Denver Broncos. And the grades and the pressure numbers, the film is all lining up to the player that we know that Rashaun Slater can be. This is a guy who was a second team All Pro as a rookie. After not playing in twenty twenty, his final year at Northwestern. This is a guy who is arguably one of the highest ceiling left tackles in the league. And I want to see that guy fully healthy again, man, because when he's been out there for the Chargers, it's just been incredibly high end tackle play. And you know, the team obviously missed that really severely last year as well as when he was dealing with the high ankle spring this year. So again, kind of a resolution, kind of a hope. But Rashaun Slater, I hope has a healthy twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing, man. Rashawn slateror is fantastic double high ankle sprain so I believe. Talked to Jamison and he said that was just one in each leg, so not a double on one leg, but like two legs. High ankle sprain. Awful, awful, awful thing to be playing with. In addition to the back, the neck recovering sort of from the bicep from the previous year, So much stuff to have to go through and to be able to play through all that, it is incredible. I can't do a single thing against Michael Parsons if my life depended on it. I can't imagine with a double high ankle sprain at multiple injuries. Granted, I'm not exactly as talented as Rashawn Slater either. I hope he's healthy because he is fantastic, and you and I had the argument that he was in terms of where he ranked relative to his peers, the best player on the team. Not the MVP R that is justin Herbert and Telton, no longer justin Herbert, but in terms of who is the best at their position. Okay, well maybe now it's Cameron Dicker, but Rashawn Slayter is certainly one of those guys. Go. I want Rashawn Slater to do well because it is just different when he is healthy, when he's excellent, because he is excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are people out there like talking about the off season decisions for the Chargers and like, oh, they have a hard decision on Mashaun Slater. No, they don't extend him, give him playing check. I will cut you off.
Speaker 2: Do not talk about right tackle movement from Rashaun Slater. You have an all pro left tackle. Leave him there. It's working great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, big fans of Rashaun Slater out here. He can stay healthy next year. And prove veryready. Right, So, Tyler, any other resolutions you want to get to before we get to some of these questions.
Speaker 2: I just health for the whole team done. Everybody's healthy, everybody's perfectly healthy. Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you can make the same thing I just said about Rashwan, about Justin Herbert. No more rib injuries, number finger injuries. Yes, healthy twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four please, I agree.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll take a quick break here and then we'll come back to dive into some of these questions. Hey guys, VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on Location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL on location dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. All right, Tyler, again, some of these questions are fantastic. Really excited to jump into them. Appreciate everybody who sent these questions. You know, we're obviously not able to get to all of them that you guys sent in. We'll do our best to make sure we provide an answer on social media, but we'll get to some of them as possible. There's a lot of draft questions in here. Obviously understandable that the fan base is kind of pivoted to that area right now. Me and you have started watching prospects and it's been a lot of fun to dive into. So first question here from j webbin oc He said, based on the current projected draft order, how many quarterbacks taken are taken in front of the Chargers at six? Again, that could certainly change. And then based on that answer, who do you think the Chargers could take in the draft? So for those who are are kind of not paying attention, I think it's safe to say at least two Kaylen Williams and Drake May are really solidified. They're potentially one and two overall. Tyler, do you think there's a chance that maybe one of these other quarterbacks could sneak into the draft ahead of the Chargers at six?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. So whoever trades up with the Bears at one. That's going to be whoever with that quarterback is, and maybe it's someone already ahead of the Chargers. Let's say it's New England or.
Speaker 1: The Bears at one. What's that or the Bears stay at one or the well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't I think with Justin Fields, I think I mean less. They want to say Marvin Harris Junior first overall, which I guess I would get. Regardless, I think someone ends up trading I think they trade out two quarterbacks for sure, and I think it ends up being three because you have Washington, New England, the Giants, and then you potentially could have another team jump in front of those other teams to try to move up to take a quarterback. So I think three quarterbacks go ahead of the Chargers. Whether they are graded as being players that should go top five, you know that does it's not always necessarily the case. It's the quarterback thing. You could have a second round hopefully if you trade out you don't have a second round. Great on this quarterback, but some of these quarterbacks may not be great, but you gotta trade up for one because it's quarterback. So I think three go, and I think Marvin Harrison Junior obviously goes before the Chargers, probably to Arizona. If they're sticking with Kyler Murray, which it seems like, then that's if the If the Cardinals are in front of the Chargers, they're taking Marvin Harrison Junior, And like you said, I guess the Bears could stay put and take them as well. So unfortunately that's not happening. I really do think it comes down to the two skill position players in brock Bauers and Molik Neighbors. As long as those guys you know, are healthy, everything checks out, they interview well, the combine's all good. Those guys should be top seven ish picks in this draft. They are the blue chip, bona fide great players that you can take. Nothing is a sure bet, but if you can bet on anybody, those two players are wants to bet on, and I do think until proven otherwise, I really do think brock Bauers is the pick, and I can tell you that now on January tewod and as long as things don't change in terms of draft order, that's probably their pick in a few months because they desperately need a tight end. They desperately they don't have one, really going into next season and he's a great gosh darn player, and when there's a great gosh darn player in front of you, you take them. Some guys are just different. Rock Bowers is like, I don't know what he's going to grade out for you, but he's like a Pinae Sool. Some prospects are just really really great, and I know there's some position value worry there. So sure it's not a tackle like Pine Sool, but there's Brock Bowers and then everybody else, and I think I think it's going to be him. The Charges desperately need another tight end. So it's the easy answer, it's the same answer, but I also think it's the right one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love Brock Bowers, I love Malik Neighbors. Both of those guys are fantastic prospects quickly. On the quarterback thing, I do agree that it'll be three. There's a lot of momentum around Jayden Daniels being a potential top five draft pick. Again, maybe that doesn't equate to him being, you know, the fifth highest graded prospect across the board, but we've seen this year like how hard it is to find a quarterback like these teams are gonna you know, there's always quarterback overdraft if the class is good enough, and this quarterback class is good enough in my opinion, after last night, there's a lot of Michael Pennock's talk. There's definitely some questionable medical history there. He's also gonna be twenty four at the start of next season before the Chargers, I think on Penix is a little bit much for me, you know, based on those two things. But Jayden Daniels, I think his ability as a runner, his growth as a passer. He's also older, but I think his his ceiling is continuing to point up. I think Penix, you're a little bit worried about how far his ceiling can get because of the injury history. So I think Jayden Daniels is that in play in the top six. Maybe that equates to the Charges potentially training down and somebody, you know, taking Jayden Daniels there. That would be fantastic. So I think ultimately it'll be three quarterbacks. It'll be Marvin Harrison Junior for sure off the board before the Chargers pick. So that puts the Chargers in a great spot. Maybe again you can take you know, Brock Bowers, Milik neighbors would be a great selection. Maybe you convinced on of these teams to trade up for one of the offensive tackles. I know that there's a lot of people who want the Chargers to take an offensive tackle. I happen to really like Olufashanu and JC Latham from Penn State and Alabama, respectively, So I think the Chargers are in a great spot. My thinking into the draft, though, is that you take the highest end player at their position and you figure everything else out. That to me is Brock Powers. Brock Powers is to me the best prospect in this class and outside of Marvin Harrison Junior. So if Martin Harrison juniors on the board, if you take him, if not, it's Brock Powers all day, every day for me. And I know that there's position concerns, But if we could go back and redo the draft class, how high is Sam Laporter going, How high is Dalton and Ky going? And nobody's going to pivot to all draft value equates that their second round picks. You know, it's it's the production, it's the prospect. And I think you know, there's justification for Brock Powers going that high. I think he's the best prospect not named Marbn Harrison Junior in this twenty twenty four draft class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Go take the players that make the rest of college football look like children. Go take them. Those are a good players sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, this is a good question as well from Silvestre. If the draft were today, what's bigger the need on defense or the need on offense? This is kind of taking out where the Chargers are picking here. What do the Chargers need more of? Where do they need more help at? What's your answer there, Tyler?
Speaker 2: So this surprised me because I thought I was going one direction. I believe that their number one need in terms of which specific position is the most empty right now, is corner or I guess defensive back. That's not even really a question to me. But I actually think overall, if you have seven picks, I think the offense actually needs more help. I think there's more issues in terms of holes on the roster on offense than there are on defense. And I think that Corey Linsley that situation did not help them, and then becoming going from all pro to we are not even sure right now at this current point in time, I'm not sure that changes a bit. The running backs. You know, you go one, two, three, four technically, and they all are either gone next year or haven't worked out so far. That changes quite a bit. So you might need a tight end one, a tight end two, or RB one, an RB two, a center, a swing tackle, potentially another receiver. I mean, there's a lot for the Chargers to have to fill here all of a sudden, And so while I think that corner is the most obvious need for the Chargers, I don't think it necessarily means that defense overall needs the most help in the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair. I think we're projecting, obviously a lot of roster turnover with this these free agency moves, and there's gonna be some decisions that have to be made. I think that you can make a real argument that pass rush in general could be the biggest need that the Chargers have. Two Lee obviously is going to be on the roster. I think Morgan Fox is going to be on the roster. He's still under contract and there's really no point in moving off of him because that doesn't benefit them. I think Khalil Mack or Joey Bosa, one of them will still be on the roster, but at the end of the day, like this is a league that is really morphing into Like you need four high end pass rushers or at least three and one other guy who can tribute at a high level at an efficient level. And when the Chargers had Joey Bosa healthy, Khalil Tuley and Morgan Fox, that was that was their best pass rush performances. Obviously, Joey gets injured and then things change and Tooley has kind of slowed down a bit recently. He's still impacting the run at a very high level, but as a pass rusher it's been it's been a bit tougher for him over the last few weeks. So due to the uncertainty there, I would almost lean towards pass rusher being that much of a draft need. This is not necessarily it doesn't sound like a great cornerback class, but there's a great pass rushing defensive tackle in this class. Johnny Newton from Illinois. There's Leatsu Latu for the edge rusher from UCLA. There's Jared Verse from Florida State. Like, if you're talking about pure draft need, I think cornerback is the big biggest position need, but based off of where they're potentially taking in the draft. I think you could make a real argument that it's pass rush.
Speaker 2: That's a point. I definitely think that defensive tackle is a position the Chargers. Chargers fans aren't really talking about as much that needs to be addressed, and I think when you move on to Batch and Joseph Day, that really heightens the need for another defensive tackle in this class. So all the more reason to trade back because that second round range especially, I feel like the last couple of years has yielded some really strong defensive tackles in the draft, and I think the charge need to take advantage of that. But you also need a center, you also need a corner. So yeah, trading back would be good, and defensive tackle, I think is something they definitely need to look into. They could do it in round one. Newton is awesome and I totally get it, but round two, round three, definitely got to go find somebody else there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some great defensive tackle play on display yesterday for Michigan and Texas, especially if you watch those two games. All Right, we had some similar questions there about those topics from Kurtz as well as Swipa and Bartholomew w so we'll know we appreciate you guys queestions, but hopefully we answer them in some aspect there. Let's get to some coaching questions here, Tyler, Bill Bohart asking I'm not sure if you have already covered this and I missed the podcast episode, but hypothetically, let's say Jim Harbass stays at Michigan, do you then pick a GM first and allow him to control the hiring process. So there's a lot of questions out there like this. I just wanted to use Bill's questions specifically to talk about this. The charters have said that they're going to do both at the same time and then whoever is kind of like the best candidate, like they'll let that person pick the one or the other basically. But Tyler, if Michigan, if Jim Harbaugh stays at Michigan, what are your thoughts here about pivoting first to the GM.
Speaker 2: I believe that, especially in terms of the demand, there's only one GM candidate you absolutely have to go do first, and that is Adam Peters. And if that is your number one, and I think it seems like unanimously around you know, people who the media personalities and people who discuss this, and even among fans, Adam Peters is the number one candidate out there. I think that's the guy you got to go get first. If you do not get him, then I do not believe it really matters which order you go. I think Adam Peters is the only person you go out and you go get first and figure out the rest later. If Jim Harbaugh does not go to the Chargers, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Would agree with that. Adam Peters the assistant general manager for the San Francisco forty nine Ers. For those who don't know he's he's consistently the number one option from a GM standpoint. Ben Standig from the Athletic had, you know, a great article covering the commander side of things, but I've got a lot of great information about the candidates overall, and Adam Peters had like this huge blurb of like six or seven paragraphs, and every other other one was like one or two. You know. There was another survey from the Athletic back in September, and Adam Peters was the only assistant general manager to get mentioned by agents that were surveyed to be one of the top talent evaluators. Everybody else was actual like GM candidates. So Adam Peters has a lot of fans around the league, a lot of poll around the league. So I do tend to agree, Like, if you're pecking order, so to speak, is you know, Harbaugh's the top candidate for the head coaching side, he's off the board if you want to pivot to Adam Peters at that point, I'm okay with that. But like Tyler said, I feel great about like eight candidates from a GM side of things. I think there are such a quality pool to pull from, you know, from the personnel side of things, and there's not as many openings. I think we're going to see three, maybe four GM openings. There could be six, seven, eight head coaching opening so and there's not eight head coaching candidates I think right now. So that I think there's a much deeper pool at GM where you could be a little bit more patient there. And then of course, if you do hire a coach who's tied to a certain GM kennony, maybe you want to go that route. So I think I agree, I'm cool being a little bit more patient on the GM front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point to bring up, actually, because we've discussed that, especially on offense, there's not a huge pool of of head coaches to pull from. There's really nobody out there as far as we can tell. We haven't seen what happens at the end of the year when some other teams make some pretty significant changes at head coach. So yeah, that could change things. But for right now, yeah, there isn't a ton out there, so I guess yeah, I could see head coach being solidified if you want. I think Ben Johnson seems to be the hottest name in terms of offensive minded offensive I guess, not counting hardball offense side of the football, So maybe you have to go get him first, But I think that Adam Peters is the only one you really have to go out and actually get one first because everybody's gonna want him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a certain owner in Carolina very much wants to hire bench, so that's been very well documented. He was delivered a very large fine today, so that's going to be a very interesting thing to watch over there. All right, next question here, sticking in the coach round here, Ryan Kenzinger, you guys think there's any possibility killing Moore is back as the play caller next season and would you be happy with that? What do you think there, Tyler?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a chance he's back next year. I think that one. Justin Herbert does very much so like him, and I think I would understand the Chargers looking at what happened the first few weeks of the season and going like that was the plan. This, this could have been something. This could have been the team that threw for four hundred and fifty yards, had four touchdowns against the Vikings and Justin Herbert up until that point the best game of his career in my opinion. You know, the team that dropped thirty four on the Dolphins. I think that the Charges could look at that and go, we need to go with that, And they're probably looking at what Shane Steikin is doing. Man, what if we had one more year? Now we don't know Shane Styke in in Philly, I think grows more than Shane Styke And if the Chargers keptch everything the same. So it's not a perfect match there, but I think you look at what he's doing and goo, maybe one more year. So if the Chargers believe that Kellen Moore can bring them what they did the first three weeks, and Justin Herbert really likes him, which I believe he does. And by the way, like Justin Herbert was improving, I think it was his best season until it wasn't with all the certain injuries and whatnot. But what he was able to do at the line of scrimmage, what he did against the Lions, we have not seen that. You know what, you think it's the Packers one of his best games. You know, him calling things the line of scrimmage, making audibles. That's very different. So in terms of Keenan Allen, of course than Justin Herbert, I think Kellen Moore could stick around because he made those players really really good. Nah made them good. Sounds mean, sounds like the other guy shouldn't get enough credit. They all worked really well together, and so I can understand them keeping him around. So I would I would totally understand why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the vision of the offense feels incomplete because of all the injuries. But when it was complete, it was a ton of fun to watch. It was an objectively top three unit in points EP per play success rate, all that stuff, and like you mentioned, it really felt like Justin was taking that next step, and then all the injuries kind of derailed the season. So I think from an ownership standpoint, you know, they came out and said, you know, Justin Herbert is our number one priority in like supporting him. Well, if he feels like Kellen Moore is his best chance at staying supported, there's absolutely a chance that Kellen Moore can stick around. And there are definitely some things that I think I would like to see changed if Kellen Moore does stick around, from like schematic standpoint as well as personnel usage and things like that. But it's really tough for me to say, you know what this the future of Kellen's status is without knowing who the head coach is, because if you hire somebody who's an offense of coach, maybe their offensive philosophies clash. If you hire a defensive coach, maybe that makes Kellen's job a little bit it's safer. You know. You look at what the Miami Dolphins did when the Aaron Mike McDaniel. They still kept the same defensive coordinator because it was kind of viewed as like, well, Mike can fix the offense. Somebody that's been in the building can stay with the defense and kind of keep things running. And I think that could be a possibility in for the Chargers, depending on who they hires as the head coach. You know, Kellen Moore still has a lot of fans around the league. It was reported a few weeks ago that the Panthers would still be interested in interviewing him for their opening So we'll see. But at the end of the day, if Justin Herbert wants Kellen Moore to stick around, I think that has significant pull this time around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. I wish we got eight games of Kellim Moore in that offense because we'd feel a lot differently. We'd see what it looked like for half of a season and then injuries pile up, of course, But yeah, I wish we got more time with that offense to really see what they could bring for more than just.
Speaker 1: Three Yeah, I agree there, all right. Next question here, kind of shifting gears a little bit, Riot or Die Chargers asked how do the Chargers go about upgrading their secondary How do you business year's free agency and draft classes for corners specifically is his second question there? What do you think, t Eiler?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it seems like to me, especially after watching I haven't watched the Iowa Corner, but watching three of the four top corners in this class, it feels I don't mean this is a knock, but it feels like last year's wide receiver class, where the depth is probably going to be very strong, and there's some good guys you can get end of round one into round two, et cetera. But maybe you don't have to take one super early. Maybe you could wait. And there's no real like number one guy. There's no Gonzales, there's no Witherspoon, there's no joy Porter Junior. Not that those guys you know, like McKinstry and Wiggins can't be, you know, really good corners and aren't really good prospects.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 2: I just think that those guys were like top seven players in their class. I think for me, there were top six on my off board. Not that anybody cares, but for what it's worth, I really did like those guys. I think at this corner class. I didn't watch mckinistry specifically yesterday's movie. That changes, but I think you can wait a bit. The Chargers need to go get some veteran presence, some sort of stop gap in free agency that it's tough to find a good veteran that's also cheap in free agency because those guys are going to be more expensive. But got to find some veteran presence out there. I think in free agency to start opposite a Sante Siamo junior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if you're expanding this a secondary, I think the one place I would start is bringing back a Loohi Gilman and maintaining some continuity at the safety position. Jalen Hawkins has looked pretty good, you know, as the safety three, so I think that's something you can continue to invest resources in. Obviously you're not handing jobs out by any means, but you know, you can probably solve the safety position a little bit easier if you keep alow He around, and then you can really devote more resources to in the cornerback position. You know, Like Tyler said, I do kind of agree that this is probably a deeper class more than a high end cornerback class. You know, I was a big fan of Nate Wiggins of Clemson relative to this class, but I don't think he's you know, in that same kind of range as the guy who's Tyler mentioned as a guy like Sauce Gardner or j. C. Horn, But he's a good player. He's a first round corner. If you trade down to twelve and you take Nate Wiggins, I think that's that's fine. I think that's a fine selection there. But at six at seven, I think that's probably a little bit too early for the cornerback group. So you're probably talking about a second round pick. You're probably talking about maybe a third round pick, depending on you know, the center position, depending on wide receiver, tight end, whatever the case may be, pass rusher. There's a lot of question marks obviously surrounding this roster. So I think this is a cornerback room that you can definitely add to on Day two of the draft. And I think you could look at maybe what the Lions did with their secondary group this year, where you're adding just a bunch of solid veterans and then you drop in a second round pick, a top fifty selection wherever that is, and I think you feel better about that room. Maybe Dean Leonard kind of takes a step forward, Maybe just your Taylor can sees take a step forward. Easting. Vassie's played well over the last few weeks, so I think you just you add as many pieces as you can, you let them sort it out in training camp, and you drop in a top fifty pick and kind of go from there for the second area as a whole.
Speaker 2: Yep, all we need is the NFL to let a Brian Branch type player drop all over to the second round and we're good to go.
Speaker 1: Somebody that I would be very happy if the Chargers had taken at twenty one. Not to say that Clinton isn't that guy, but Tyler any of these other questions that we compiled to stand out to you? Or running a little short on time, so maybe one or two more?
Speaker 2: Sure I can find one. Let's see from Darren and more of an ex is another question? Curious because I don't keep track necessarily and it's been harder to pay attention to the last few weeks. Is it just me? Or are there no design RB's screenplays in Kellen Moore's cookbook. Can't remember the last time the Chargers ran one for Eckler? Have those been missing? It's more of an asking you question if you happen to know, I guess we could have dialed up Argent and phone a friend here to see how many screens the Chargers have actually run. But even outside of ARB's screens, it feels like the Chargers have run fewer screens in general. Tends to be more like we were frustrated that Quentin Johnson was not getting the ten screens that they would run every week to start the season too. Mike Williams to Josh Palmer, to Keenan Allen to Gerald Everett. So I feel like, overall that's that's gone away, But I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, according to Pro Football Focus, Austin Eckler has thirty one targets behind the line of scrimmage. Obviously, not all of those are going to be screens. That's a decent amount for him. Obviously, they check downs things like that. I think that they're a part of the playbook. I would like to see more of them, especially with the East and stick around. I would like to see more screens for Darius Davis. I do agree that that's a part of the playbook that I would like to see increased. I love when Kella Moore does run a screen. We've seen Tariris Davis have huge plays off of the screens. We see Nasin Eckler have big plays off of the screens when they're there and when they're called. I think they're fantastic plays and they're very well designed and executed for the most part. But I do agree, I think that needs to be a greater emphasis going forward.
Speaker 2: Yes, for one game, for.
Speaker 1: One game, and then if Kellen's back next year, for next season.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, did you have another one there that you wanted to hit on? Oh?
Speaker 2: I get to do another one. Okay, So who are some of your favorites from Mackenzie? By the way, who are some of your favorite coordinator candidates? So of course it's it depends on who the head coaches, But who are some of the names that keep popping up in your mind? We've discussed before, et cetera, to help round out this staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when you're looking at coordinator names, I think my eye is kind of drawn towards, you know, like quarterbacks coaches as well as like defensive line coaches. We've talked a few, and I'll let you hit on some of the defensive line guys. But from an offensive standpoint, I'm super intrigued by Gerard Johnson, the quarterbacks coach in Houston. The Chargers interviewed him for the offensive coordinator position last year, and he's only added to his resume working with C. J. Stroud and Houston as well as getting a positive game out of positive two game stretch out of case Keenum. So that's somebody that I'm super interested in as a potential offensive coordinator candidate. Obviously, Bobby Slowick is a potential head coaching candidate. That pairing would do very well for me. You know, I think there are some other ones too, But I'll let you hit on some of the defensive guys that we've talked a bit about. Specifically, the gentleman in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, yes, that's my coordinator crush is Terrell Williams from Tennessee, the assistant head coach last defense slash defensive line coach for the Titans, even got to be the head coach for a game in the preseason against I believe the Bears this past year. Excellent defensive line ties to Khalil Mack from Los Angeles would love him there as far as offense goes, Tanner Engster in the Lion's pass game coordinator, brought him up last year as a potential oc option. I think again, like many others. He's only built his resume with another really good year. Chris Coseric, of course, the forty nine Ers defensive line coach. That's a pretty popular one. A lot of ties to the forty nine ers, including one Adam Peters, Cowboys secondary coach and pass game coordinator Joe Witt Junior, he'd be great. And then I think with so many ties to this guy, and with so many potential first year head coaches, I think Dolphin's QB coach and past game coordinator Darryl Bubble, with his experience, would be a good person to lean on. We've talked about these guys quite a bit more than welcome to go back to our channel and watch our Big Four episode and other rankings and such. Yeah, those guys really stick out to me. But there's plenty of good options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think also on the defensive side, Al Harris, the secondary coach in Dallas, is going to be a hot commodity. He's somebody who's done awesome work there from a secondary perspective, it sounds like he's going to be sounds like some of these head coaches that were potential, like d cooc options or a lot of them are potentially keeping their jobs. So we'll see what happens there. Speaking of defensive line coaches, we brought them up on our show again. Tyler mentioned that you can check him out, but Jacques ces Air, former Charger, is building a very positive coaching career found there in Houston right now as the defensive line coach. Will Anderson is doing some great things. Is down there as a pass rusher. I forget his first name, Collins, the defensive tackle. I think Malik, Yeah, Malie Collins. You know, so, Jaxi's Air has been kind of a budding defensive line coach. I love the idea of getting a defensive line coach as a coordinator because it just, you know, ads that emphasis up front in the trenches. Trell Williams would be a great option. Jaxi's as well fits that mold, and I think it'd just be really cool is to get, you know, a former Charger who's in coaching in the NFL. Would be cool to see him brought back to coach the Chargers in some capacity.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Chargers fans are definitely clamin ering for a former Chargers player to be a coordinator for the Chargers, but he's there for the defense will be just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hunber all right, I think that'll do it for us today. Tyler, any final thoughts before we head.
Speaker 2: Out, Nope, man, just happy new year. Happy to hear to all you guys because you need to follow us life, subscribe comments, say good things, they bad things, whatever. Comments all has helped the channel grow, so we'll take anything you got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sincerely, I do appreciate all the great work from the Chargers and their production team. Eddie and Greg specifically have worked Wonders with us all season long producing the show. We are super appreciative of their work and Megan and everybody on the social team putting out our content. It's been a true treat to cover this season. Obviously we wish there were more wins, but it's been a ton of fun working with the best production team in the league. And sincerely mean that so appreciate all you guys for listening. Appreciate you guys for supporting. Like Tyler said, check us out on our own channel as well. We do appreciate all the support over there. As always, I will see you at this time next week. As always, full time