Speaker 1: Agie Martinez in Real Life podcast.
Speaker 2: This episode and conversation is powered by I Do Say What's up?
Speaker 1: Good friends?
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Welcome to another episode of Aggie Martinez IRL Takeaways. These are the episodes where we discuss the other episodes.
Speaker 1: We discussed the interviews.
Speaker 2: That sounded crazy, yeah, but I swear there was purpose to these episodes because what happens is when I'm sitting in these interviews, really it's about the person, and I'm like locked into what they want to deliver. Then they drop their knowledge or they dropped their experience, so they dropped their insight and then we all after are like, yo, I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking about what they said. I was thinking about what he said or she said.
Speaker 2: So this is when we have the opportunity to reflect what we took away, our takeaways from the conversation and that we hope maybe you picked up on anyway. So that's what takeaway episodes are about. And this takeaway episode we are discussing Melissa Ford, which while people resonated with her huh yes. We always love when again comes vulnerable and open and ready to share.
Speaker 1: She came ready to share. Number one.
Speaker 2: We could start this whole episode here with what her takeaways are, because we asked her literally on set and I don't know how much insight you know about what had been going on with her as of recent and some of the noise around her, and we thought about bringing it up, but what she offered us was so much more important that at the end of the interview, it was just like, who cares about the daily headline of the day or whatever it is or whatever the thing is. And so then I sat with her after the episode and I was like, well, what did you think?
Speaker 1: What was your takeaway?
Speaker 2: And well, I didn't ask God that Brittany actually asked her, and this is what she said.
Speaker 3: My takeaway so far is that this was one of the most in depth, profound and thoughtful and caring interviews I've ever experienced where somebody actually delved deeper than I think any but he has ever gone into who I actually am.
Speaker 2: That is the nicest thing anybody could say after an interview, as somebody who sits on this side of the table when you interview people, that is how you want people to feel. And so the fact that she felt that way made me so happy, and it.
Speaker 4: Made everyone in the room feel good too, Like you know, we got all the crew people on set and where where as we're like, we get to view it the conversation for the first time, and it was just as impactful in the room as it was for.
Speaker 1: To watch it back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, no, it was impactful in the moment. We all felt it. I felt it too. It was impactful for me. If you noticed this episode, there was not much for me to say, yeah, you know what I mean, Like you look at some of the clips and it's just her talking. I'm barely I mean, I talked to her. Obviously we're connecting, but there wasn't much. Sometimes I have to lead a conversation, or sometimes I have to take some people somewhere or and then sometimes they just be yeah. But then sometimes being in my seat, it's important to like let something happen. Like I could have my idea, Okay, this is what I want to talk to Melissa Ford about. But then I sit in the chair and something else happens. It's my job to let it happen because otherwise I'll get in the way of something magical that could happen, or something that is important to somebody else, Like Melissa Ford came there with something that was important to her to say, and I could have easily interfered with that with too much interviewing, you know what I'm saying, Like, if there was heavy interviewing going on, I could have easily gotten in the way. And I'm so grateful that I did it, and I'm so grateful that she you know that I had the feeling to know, like, Okay, back up, let her go, she's saying great stuff. Let me just sit here and be in it with her. And yeah, she was so vulnerable, and to me, she felt so bottled up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like and I know.
Speaker 2: Exactly how she feels because after I had done some work on myself after my accident, I felt like, that's really what launched the podcast, is me wanting to share what I have figured out. And I could tell that she has done so much work on herself that she was bottled up with all this stuff that she wants to share, Like, hey, guys, you can get up after you want to commit suicide. Hey guys, you will survive after your parent passes and it knocks your ass on the floor and you're devastated, you can get up. And I think she was bottled up with this. I don't know with all of this stuff that she wanted to offer. And to me, that's the most beautiful thing about this podcast is when we genuinely have somebody that's willing to sit in that chair and given and it's an offering. It's like an offering of experience perspective, but with that intent not just to tell you to tell you, or to share to share, but it's actually to share with the intention of, like, yo, let me put you'all on because this could actually be good for somebody out there. And it was when we post a clip of her tool the way she breaks down losing a parent. I'm one of the lucky ones where my mom is still young and healthy and with me, thank god.
Speaker 1: But I felt her when she said this, and you know.
Speaker 2: I have had loss in my life, not a mother, so I related to this in a way. But also I think she when I could see the reaction from people who have lost their mother, the way they responded to her in the comments, this moment was really impactful.
Speaker 3: It's a terrible club to be a part of, but anybody who has lost their mom understands what it means to be a part of this club and know, and people who have not lost their mother don't understand until it happens to them. The insanity that you feel will you.
Speaker 1: Just won't get it.
Speaker 3: Your entire universe has been ripped to shreds. You are hurtling through time and space. It's literally like you are you know, you're untethered. You've lost your tether to the earth and you are just flying around and you're hoping somebody grabs the string and pulls you down.
Speaker 1: But that is like.
Speaker 3: That is that it doesn't happen. The grounding that happens takes years. It takes years.
Speaker 1: Oh that is deep, right, Tell people what that did to you? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: So you know, the holidays just passed and my parents they live in Florida, but they had him to visit me for the first time. And like it's been like five years since I spent a Christmas with them, and they were with me for eight days. And I'm not a really like emotional outwardly emotional.
Speaker 1: She's like me, she's a Capricorn.
Speaker 4: I don't I'm not crying at the movies. I don't, like I'm real stoic in that way. But for some reason, after Melissa Ford came on the show I had. I was so appreciative of my parents, and I'm like, oh, I couldn't bear with the thought of.
Speaker 1: Losing one of them at all.
Speaker 4: And when they when I dropped them off to the airport, as soon as they turned around to go past the sliding doors, I started bawling my face. My boyfriend was making so much fun of me, because Brittany, it's.
Speaker 1: So out of character and so muchy of her. But it's so great. It's so great. I was like, please, can you guys stay.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm telling my boyfriend I really want to live with them now. I want them to move.
Speaker 1: In with me.
Speaker 4: I can't spend any more time apart from my parents. But that's the effect Melissa had, like I couldn't stand what it feels like to live with the possibility of regret, feeling like you could have improved your relationship with the people who brought you into this world.
Speaker 1: That's pretty great.
Speaker 2: I love when she said that if you do have your parents and you're lucky enough, you know, get to know them in a different way, not just this image of them. Who wish parents should be to you, but who are they as human beings aside from you, take you out of the equation who is your mother, who is your father, and really spending time to get to know them and ask them questions, basically cherish them while they're here and get to know them as best as you can, with the understanding that they won't be here forever. It's not even the you know they might not be here forever, they won't be here forever. It's like it's a guarantee. I know we hate to hear that, but it's really the truth. So so that that was great. I love that takeaway the stuff about her parents and also the guilt that she has. Her and her mom were not on good terms when her mom passed, and that's a lot of guilt to hold on to.
Speaker 4: What really shocked me about that story, too, was that was the first time I heard about made. I didn't know that Canada had the medical assistance death, Yes, dying in Canada, that you can if you're if you have a severe illness that way, or if you just feel like you actually can't go on that there's a lengthy process you can decide to end your life, and your life legally end your life and there there's a couple of states in America.
Speaker 1: Yes, I wanted to die and this you know this too? To me? This you know this, This is euthanasia. Yeah, ethan asias is, but I didn't know that was legal in the US.
Speaker 4: There Oregon, Washington, Montana, Vermont, California, Colorado, Washington, Hawaii, Main New Mexico, and New Jersey.
Speaker 2: It can't just be like I'm tired of living. No, I don't want it. It's like a lengthy like well, remember when Melissa said in the interview.
Speaker 4: She was saying she goes at the beginning, ten people might sign up, and by the end of the process, the interview process, two people might actually go with it. She said that those that the people are always women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the men get scared. They're like, never mind, we'll let you deduce that. Per That's kind of what she No, I think she said it. I think she said it pretty clear. No meaning the public. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. That was interesting. There was a lot from our conversation that I can take away from. First of all, her saying that she had an experience in the nineties and those video sets and how women were treated and some of her experiences, and then she says that she did have an experience that she never wants to come forward with because she doesn't have the capacity to do that. I respect that so much that she could admit that, because you know, it's really hard right now, the way the world is set up, the way social media is set up, the way that the whole world can have an opinion about anything public that you do. It's just subject to opinion, and opinion is that the most it's at the grossest, most negative. I don't know place that I can remember ever seeing it. So imagine having to say something that's so vulnerable and scary and intimate and then having the whole world have an opinion about it. That is scary for somebody to admit that you should play that clip.
Speaker 3: Every experience that I've had has not been on the up and up, you know, and they've been with There's one that I can think of in particular. I don't have the band with the strength to deal with the onslought of what I have seen victims go through, to put myself in that position. That is why I tip my hat to them.
Speaker 2: I've never heard anybody admit that or say that out loud.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm very brave these days, and I give myself a lot of credit for being brave to say things that people think to themselves but would never ever utter the words. You know, and I have said this to people, you know that there's been experiences that I probably could have filed suit on, but I'm probably never I'm never going to do it because I can't deal with the repercussions of it. I can't and I won't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was interesting to me. That was heavy, but I felt her man, and I'm sure there's a lot of women that felt that. And it also we should take a moment when you hear a clip like that to remind yourself how amazing it is and how we should be supparding people who do stand up and do share their stories for the reasons of, you know, not letting it happen to someone else.
Speaker 4: And I commend her for being honest in that way, because it after me too, you know, has is at the height that it is.
Speaker 1: It's like, if.
Speaker 4: You have a story, it's your duty to share it, and no one really talks about the other side of like what the actual burden that that comes with.
Speaker 2: The heavy burden, especially if you're somebody like Melissa who's been through so much already.
Speaker 1: She's tired.
Speaker 2: Poor baby, she just trying to get through today. You know what I'm saying, She's like, I don't have it to give right now. I totally got it. I understood anyway. She was amazing in so many ways. Definitely an interview that you do not want to miss. I was happy to end the interview on that note, because that's what this podcast is. It's like, it is a place that we hope that people have an offering and that you take something away from it. And by the responses and some of the reaction, I do feel a lot of people had some great takeaways from this episode. Was there anything else?
Speaker 4: I really when you decided, Hey, Bird, I want to talk to Melissa Ford, I was really excited because I only knew what other people knew about her with that she was this video og, video vixen model, and of course there is a slew of negative common connotations that comes with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was really.
Speaker 2: It was I remember YouTube. You were like, really, it wasn't negative. You were just like and I was like, I really, I want to interview this person. I want to interview that person and I want to figure out a day from Melissa Ford. You were like, oh, like you looked surprised, and I was like, no, she has she yeah why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah. It wasn't like you were saying in a negatway. It was just there was an element of surprise.
Speaker 4: I always I'm always trying to figure out, Okay, what's the what's the takeaway from this person?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: And I just, like many of you maybe didn't know anything more about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was more like that, like I don't know anything about her, so why her?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 2: Why her something bad about her? But why I don't know anything about her? And it's true. She is on a podcast. I mean, Joe Button's podcast is a super duper popular.
Speaker 1: It's cute too.
Speaker 2: Shout out to all the Joe Button followers because I could see in the comments they all call her big mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I could see how many.
Speaker 2: Joe Button followers were in the comments because everybody was like, oh, big mel this was amazing.
Speaker 1: They kept calling her big mail. I guess from the pod.
Speaker 2: But she does have a platform where she does share some things, but it's a different conversation that she has on that. It's like me on the radio. It's a different conversation. It's just a different platform for a different conversation. So I think she hasn't had a platform like this where people got to know this other side of her. And I really want to be careful because I don't want this to sound like we thought low of her.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: We just didn't know any of the stuff that she was going through. It was like double fold of like she had some jewels to drop, but also we didn't know any of this at the same time, and.
Speaker 1: She handles it all so gracefully that.
Speaker 2: Even if you do cross paths with her, or you did see her on the Joe Buden podcast or on some show or whatever, you didn't get that she was in the throes of that darkness.
Speaker 1: She's a nice human and she's a great heel. It's such a sweet lady. Yeah, she really Oh.
Speaker 4: She talked more after this. I was like, so, how do we take more Melissa Ford content?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she definitely needs to. I love that for her too, because I love that people got to see her in this way. I think people will look for that for her from her moving forward more. Yeah, so so good.
Speaker 1: We love anyway. But the moral of the story is. We love you, Melissa Ford. You are a warrior.
Speaker 2: You shared your story so beautifully that I was grateful, My audience was grateful. And I think you were going to feel the karma of that coming back to you. I think that energy that you put out, I hope that it comes back to you in so many one hundredfold and people put their arms around you. And also, you know, you might have saved somebody's life, changed somebody's life. I believe that type of conversation that we had does have the power to change a life, help a life, whatever, just lift somebody up. So well done to her, and thank you for choosing my platform. You know. If you By the way, if you guys haven't watched the episode, I don't know why, but you can go to the YouTube page Edge Martinez IRL. Make sure you subscribe to so that you get alerts because we will have new episodes dropping soon and yeah, and you could listen to it if you prefer to listen instead of watch. You can listen to it here. Just click the link that has the Melissa Ford interview versus the takeaway. So thank you guys, don't forget to subscribe. Have a great rest, of the day and we'll catch you on the next one.