Speaker 1: Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. We wish you well in the upcoming year. We wanted to, as we said, take some time off for the week. I'm going on a couple of adventures. I think the rest of us are too. In the meantime, One thing we can tell you is that this classic episode stands out to us because people kept digging up former president James K.
Speaker 2: Polk. Leave James K. Polk alone his desiccated corpse. Yeah, why did they do this? You might ask, Well, why don't you stay tuned to find out in this classic episode.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Let's open today's show with a tiny bit of trivia. My name is Ben and I was actually born in Nashville.
Speaker 2: My name is Nola, and I have been to Nashville once, but my driver's license expired, so I didn't get to go to any of the sweet honky tonks.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a shame, you know. We should go to Nashville together. We should take a road trip. It's a pretty swell place. You'd like it.
Speaker 2: No, I like the street. I bought a hot dog. All my friends went to Robert's Western World which is apparently the spot where all of the grizzled Nashville session guys just show up at two in the afternoon and play till three in the morning, just like you do. And I really felt like I missed out on something. But I'll tell you what I did not miss out on a bit. Well, what's that I recently returned from a work trip to Los Angeles where I happened upon a little place called the Museum of Death.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, you went.
Speaker 2: I did go. Refused, and I'm not going to talk too much about this, but they do not allow photo for good reason. It's quite grizzly, quite upsetting. And they had a whole section with funereal artifacts, embalming tools, and they had a quite impressive collection of coffins. And I only bring this up because today we're talking about digging up bodies. That is the base level for my segue, right.
Speaker 1: So, for everybody wondering, Ben, why are you giving us personal information about Nashville, Noel, why are you telling us about coffinry, It's because those two things do have an alarming and we think fascinating connection point here in today's episode, if you visit the Tennessee State Capitol in Nashville. You'll see President Andrew Johnson, who's got sort of this wind swept thing, kind of prefiguring Claire all herbal essences commercials, a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a fabio look, if we're being honest. And then you have the other Andrew. That would be Jackson sitting astride his trustees steed in rearing back kind of pose, looking a little bit windswept himself, but with a little bit more of an.
Speaker 1: Edge to him, a little panash. I believe he's tipping his hat. Here's the thing, folks. Neither of those presidents are actually buried at the Tennessee State Capitol, but those statues are so prominent that they've become local landmarks. And there's another important thing, because it turns out they overshadow another president.
Speaker 2: That's right, poor James K. Polk the US is eleventh president, who along with his wife Sarah, are currently buried on those grounds of the Tennessee State Capitol. And a very modest compared to the giant sweeping statues, a modest structure that is kind of flanked by these columns, and it was actually designed by the same architect that designed the US state capitol in kind of a Greek style.
Speaker 1: And as we record today's episode, turns out that Sarah and James may not be located there much longer. You see, there's a movement to disinterer or exhuom the Polk couple and move them about fifty miles away to their family's historic home, which is actually in a town called Columbia.
Speaker 2: Very close to Murfreesboro. If I'm not mistaken, is there r silent in Murfreesboro.
Speaker 1: I've always I've always kind of been winging it. Yeah, we get some we got some great pronunciation emails earlier, I believe in the show. So help us out this time, folks, Murfreesboro versus murphy Feesborough. Yeah, that is the question.
Speaker 2: But Columbia is in fact a pretty small town near Murphysboro that is largely known for its yearly Mule Festival.
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan of festivals, man, and it's time that the mule finally got its due. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's more than just a little horse, right, And I mean.
Speaker 1: Just because it's a relatively small species doesn't mean it's not a big deal. Technically, a mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, so it's a different species that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Only mentioning this to show that, you know, Columbia charming place to live, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: But Broadway it's not Broadway.
Speaker 2: It is not not a whole lot of tourist attractions for this city, and I think there are some that hope that might change with the movement to move said presidents remains right.
Speaker 1: So Polk was born in North Carolina in seventeen ninety five, but his family did eventually move to the Tennessee Frontier, where his father built a home there in Columbia in eighteen sixteen, and because he lived there for several years as a ute as an adolescent, the home now serves as the James K. Polk Museum. And this happens very often here in the United States. I don't know whether it's the case in other countries, but in our neck of the Global Woods, a famous, historically influential person just has to spend time and a location for it to become, you know, their ancestral home or their museum. It doesn't have to be the place where Mark Twain rag or Allan Poe was born necessarily. It could be the home where Mark Twain lived or Samuel Clemens lived in I think Springfield, Connecticut. You know, he wasn't a kid there. That's that's where he lived and lost a bunch of money betting on terrible inventions.
Speaker 2: Niche. But let's let's get knock at two ahead of ourselves. What was Poke known for? Ben He was only one term president, but accomplished a pretty scene amount of stuff, right, he.
Speaker 1: Did some great stuff. I want to open with his nicknames, though, because I think they're hilarious. Every president has a bunch of nicknames, and just a few of James Knox Polk's nicknames would be Napoleon of the Stump and Young Hickory.
Speaker 2: And the reason he was Young Hickory was because when he was Speaker of the House really trumpeted his mentor Andrew Jackson's policies, and that informed a lot of what he would accomplish as president in terms of really pushing hard for this manifest destiny idea of expanding the United States borders to the Pacific that we will get into that shortly. That was one of the accomplishments. But Old Hickory was Andrew Jackson's nickname, and so that he was his boy, Little Hickory, Young Hickory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was definitely a protege.
Speaker 2: So Polk had actually been a lawyer, and while he was in law school, he clerked for the state Senate, and then in eighteen twenty three he got elected to the ten the Seahouse of Representatives and was re elected a whopping six times, where he eventually became the Speaker, and that's when he was able to really champion Andrew Jackson's various political positions and got that nickname Young Hickory. He actually went on to become Tennessee's ninth governor.
Speaker 1: And in eighteen forty four he became President of the United States. He was forty nine years old, which sounds, you know, like a pretty cool batting average now, but at the time he was the youngest candidate ever to become president.
Speaker 2: So there's a there's a star, gold Star forum. Definitely young Hickory, totally young Hickory for days. He also re established the treasury system, which was kind of a precursor to what we have today under the Federal Reserve. He created the Naval Academy, and legislation that he signed actually established the creation of the Smithsonian Institution, which is responsible for preserving artifacts and American culture.
Speaker 1: And it is free to is it. Additionally, let's see what's the best way to say this. During his administration, the very first US postage stamp was issued, which is still a big deal today for philitalists in the crowd.
Speaker 2: Pinnag you just pull that word right off the top of your dome.
Speaker 1: Sort of, but I didn't make it up. It is the fancy word for stamp collectors. Yeeh.
Speaker 2: I should have guessed that, but that is a weird one for me.
Speaker 1: Voluminous is the fancy word for matchbook collectors. I am full of cartoonishly specific words. But we are talking about specific and historically significant actions by the eleventh President.
Speaker 2: And there's the real big one that we hinted that earlier with this whole idea of manifest destiny, which was the notion that the US should basically colonize other places. And during the Mexican American War, James K. Polk pushed pretty damn hard to make that happen and had some success, didn't.
Speaker 1: He, Yes, he did. He He was instrumental in expanding the territory of the United States by more than eight hundred thousand square miles, which means it goes all the way. This is where it became a sea to Shining Sea country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In eighteen thirty six, Texas, which was at the time ruled by Mexico, was given independence and it was not initially incorporated into the Union. And this became an issue after that and continuous raids by the Mexican government, And then in eighteen forty four when Polk was elected, he pushed really hard to re annex Texas, which is kind of what set off this conflict. What does that mean again, Ben.
Speaker 1: This would mean that the territory at hand becomes part of the United States property of it. So, for instance, if the US today were to annex Baja California, or if Baja California were to annex California right, then what that would mean is this territory would become the property of the governing state. Annexation is typically not a move that everyone agrees with. Right, So if our super producer Casey Pegram and you and I are each three state actors who are neighbors, and two of us decide to split up the other one's property and annexit, it's pretty much a declaration.
Speaker 2: Of war exactly. And also part of the reason that there was some issue with making Texas part of the Union was that lawmakers did not want another slave state. And then there were these, you know, occasional raids, border raids by the Mexican government. But like we said, when Polk was elected, he threw all that aside and re annexation procedures began, and this set off the war, and ultimately, long story short, we won and we got a whole bunch of land as a result. And that all happened under the watch of James K. Polk during his very short presidency, which was.
Speaker 1: A purposeful presidency. You see. He was a one term president by design, that was part of his campaign platform, and unlike many, many, many, many, many other state leaders or politicians in general, he kept his word and after four years in the White House he returned to Tennessee. We do want to make a note here that the Mexican American War, and indeed all wars, are tragic things. This was not necessarily a position where there were clear cuts good or bad guys in the United States, and many, many organizations commanded by the United States did horrific things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean in the American military vastly outnumbered the Mexican forces. It was sort of a you know, shooting fish in a barrel kind of not an equal playing field.
Speaker 1: Now, So what happened after Polk left the presidency.
Speaker 2: He died, That's right.
Speaker 1: He did pass away, as people are unfortunately wont to do. He died on June fifteenth, eighteen forty nine, so not long after he served his term as president, and he passed away in Nashville, Tennessee.
Speaker 2: He did. And it's actually super interesting because he passed away after contracting cholera, and at the time there had been a massive cholera outbreak in Nashville such that there was a city ordinance that required any cholera victim be buried in the local municipal cemetery.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, so don't even have their bodies around for say a family ceremony or something.
Speaker 2: And so Polk's first burial place was very specifically tied to these conditions that it was just they had to do it. They put him there with everyone else who had suffered from this disease.
Speaker 1: And his after his post presidency of one hundred and three days, the shortest of any president. He did not die in office. I believe it was. It was about a year after, isn't that right, nol where they his body was dug up and moved after the first burial.
Speaker 2: That's right. It was dug up and moved to Polk Place, which sounds like a square on Monopoly.
Speaker 1: Or a place where they would sell poke bowls. Okay, here's a pitch. Here's a pitch. Just let me know what you think a James K. Polk themed poke bowl restaurant.
Speaker 2: See, I I have issue with poke versus polk. And I know you've made your line in the sand that it is poke, and I have said that to people who have looked at me askance. So, folks, what do you think? We're talking about raw fish in a bowl with rice and deliciousness? Is it poke or poke? Right?
Speaker 1: In?
Speaker 2: What do y'all think?
Speaker 1: Noel, If your problem with this persists, then don't worry. I've still got us covered. I've got a backup plan. It's a poke bowl place that's Pokemon themed.
Speaker 2: That's easy. Love. You could serve it in a poke.
Speaker 1: Bowl, right and you can collect the bulls love it all right? But Polk Place, it turns out is different. That is the that is the property where James K. Polk was intending to establish his legacy, who wanted to be buried there. He wanted kids to grow up there. He wanted it to remain the seat of the Polka state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the true kind of ancestral home of the Polk family. After Polk died, his wife Sarah, continued to live at Polk Place for forty two years until she died. But here's where the plot thickens and things start to get really interesting. Polk actually drew up his will a mirror five months before he passed away, and in it he used some very specific language. He was, after all, a lawyer, that said that his and his wife's remains should be buried at Polk Place, and that after he and his wife died, the property should be held in trust by the state, and that there should always be a blood relative living there.
Speaker 1: And there were a number of heirs, and they waited, they bided their time.
Speaker 2: But not direct heirs, not direct air. I think because of a childhood malady. He had the kidney stones really bad. He had an operation that rendered him sterile.
Speaker 1: Right, he did not have any direct issue, but there were a number of airs who, as I were saying, bided their time for decades waiting for Sarah Polk to expire, and then they filed lawsuits arguing that this will was a you know, a burlap sack full of bologney for legal purposes. The court ruled in their favor, and the court said that the will violated the common law rule against perpetuities, things that limit an owner's ability to leave property to unborn future generations.
Speaker 2: I guess Polk might have been a cracker jack one term president, but not that great of a lawyer.
Speaker 1: And who knows, you know, if he were. That's the thing about wills, You're not around to defend it in person, right, you know. So he very well may have been able to defend his position, but unfortunately with everyone who really had a stake in that perspective, gone, yeah, you're right, he had to just depend on the language as he had written it. So Polk Place was sold and torn down, right, and today there's a boutique hotel on the property.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Apparently, initially they were trying to turn it into the governor's mansion there in Nashville, but that did not pass. Muster and then they it was scooped up by a developer. I think it was an apartment for a while, and then it was it's the Boutique hotel today. And that initial developer, his name was Craig McClanahan. He apparently donated part of the property to be turned into a Carnegie Library. And according to Tennessee Magazine, an article written by Bill Carey, who talks a good bit about this debacle moving Polk's remains, he says all of this was done just to appease Nashville residents who might have been irritated that this fat cat developer swooped in and you know, crushed their their history.
Speaker 1: Which unfortunately is a tale as old as American time. If we're ticking on the capitalist clock, developers come in and change things, and it's tough to decide what should be kept historic and what becomes ephemeral and what has a strip mall or a mixed use development in the future.
Speaker 2: We're in an interesting spot where we sit here now, Ben We're in a place called Ponce City Market. That is a historic building. It used to be a city hall before that in the what forties, I want to say it was in Sears and Roebucks Shipping and Receiving center by the train right by the train line what they call the belt line now and to this day, it's basically kind of a bougie mall. And we have our studios here, which we love. It's a neat spot, but it has that interesting give and take between history preserving history and progress and bougie malls.
Speaker 1: And here's a great example, listeners, you may find this interesting. Even before there were buildings here, this road is named Ponce de Leon. This building is named Ponce City Market because it's on a road called Ponce de Leon, which is relatively famous here in the US. It's named that because people used to drive outside of the city proper when it was a dirt road to find the curative springs that were said to be panaceas for what all ails you. And they named this street Ponce de Leon as just a blatant marketing thing to have it associated with a fountain of youth, famously searched for by Ponce de Leon himself.
Speaker 2: Totally. And now when you drink from the water fountains at Ponce City Market, you are granted eternal life.
Speaker 1: True story, right right, Well, you're on the eternal life plan, which I believe is starts at ten dollars a.
Speaker 2: Month and an eternal life coach.
Speaker 1: That's a good one too. Seriously, though, the water does come from those same springs. That's why there's that big sister a reservoir, yeah, exactly, or reservoir. So back to Polk. On September nineteenth, eighteen ninety three, James K. Polk's body was moved again. This time it was moved to the Capitol where our story began with the statues of Jackson and Johnson, and he was buried alongside of his wife.
Speaker 2: And we talked a little bit earlier about how there's a little bit of a kerfuffle about this potential choice to move them.
Speaker 1: To It's a huge coach.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm probably downplaying a little bit. And a lot of that has to do with the idea that the folks in Columbia are just pushing for this because it would be a tourist destination. Because we talked earlier about how at the Tennessee State Capitol, Polk's grave is largely dwarfed by these, you know, really ostentatious sculptures of potentially more well known presidents Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson not necessarily more important, not necessarily more important at all. And again, the whole connection is interesting. How Jackson was old Hickory and and Polk was little Hickory. I'm sorry, it's not little Hickory. It was young Hickory, Youngckory, young Hickory. And he's dwarfed in in other ways than that. Jack is buried also in Tennessee at his estate called the Hermitage, which is a hugely popular tourist destination. And you know, why wouldn't the folks in Columbia want to get a little piece of that sweet, sweet tourist action.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. According to Bill Carry, a researcher and writer who focuses on this region, the reinterment of President and Missus Polk is one of the most disrespectful deeds ever committed by the state of Tennessee.
Speaker 2: The second one, the second reinterment, right, I'm asking you, Oh yeah, yeah, First one Colera, you know, Colera Graveyard, second one family homestead. Then when they toured, that's the gross one, and then the reet to the capitol.
Speaker 1: And so we're seeing, Yeah, that's a great distinction because we are seeing collectively this this grab for money. It seems as if you know, as as Noel said earlier that to the opponents of the Columbia move from the Capitol to Columbia, this seems as though it is little more than a blatant grab for authenticity and tourism dollars. Right, Or we're not particularly honoring the wishes of this former president because the former president wanted to be interred in a place that has been torn down. Right, we're not necessarily honoring the wishes of the man himself the woman herself because they wanted to be interred at Pole Place, which was torn down for development purposes. This move, this idea of moving from the Capitol to Colombia, has no small amount of critics, including Bill Carey, but also Carol Van West, who is the state historian there of Nashville. She said, when Polk left the White House, he came home to Nashville, his wife stayed there for decades afterwards. There's no reason to move them, essentially.
Speaker 2: Except there's an argument on the other side too, right, because you've got this guy Tom Price, who's the curator of this place we're talking about now, the James K. Polk Home and Museum in Columbia, Tennessee, which was the home that his father built and that he later purchased. And you know, mister Price argues that it's not about tourism dollars, that it's about doing the best job possible given conditions to honor the language, and that will because he wanted to be buried at home. This is the closest thing you got. So it's like the spirit of the law if we cannot adhere to the letter Rightactlyah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What do you think I am on the fence, because he does acknowledge that it's difficult to get students to tour the home because Andrew Jackson's hermitage is so close.
Speaker 2: By, exactly. So they again, in life dwarfed also in death. And it's interesting because the Tennessee lawmaker, State Senator Joey Hensley, who sponsored this bill that we're talking about that would disinter these remains and move them to this Polk House in Columbia, is quoted as saying this, I honestly served up here in the Tennessee State Capitol for fourteen years and had never seen Polk's grave. He told this to the New York Times, it's not handicap accessible. It's not really talked about much when they do do the Capital tour, and not many people visit it. It's just not a very good place to honor his legacy. So all kidding aside, I can see both sides, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good point, because if they're not including it when they're doing the tour, if it's not easy to get to. Usually for anyone who's been on an historical tour before, what happens is you become inundated with information and so you're not Most people are not very likely to go above and beyond what the tour guide tells them to look at. And this brought us to a very interesting question, which is what does it take to disinter the corpse of a president if we just decided, hey, we're not doing anything with the next few years, let's pick up a new hobby. It turns out it's not too easy. You have to have the approval of the governor, the state House of Representatives, a local judge from the area, and in the case of Tennessee, the volunteer state. You have to have the approval of the Tennessee Historical Commission. You have to have a lot of a lot of different moving pieces work together. In Unison. About a week after the Senate bill passed, the Tennessee Historical Commission had come out against the plan to exhume James K. Polk and said that moving the graves would create a false sense of history at the Home and Museum in Columbia.
Speaker 2: Even given all of that red tape you have to get through to make this happen. And I'm not sure if this has always been the case in exactly the way that you laid out, but there are several historical precedents for exhuming presidential remains.
Speaker 1: And three times is not even close.
Speaker 2: Not even close. Man. In eighteen fifty eight, James Monroe, who was our fifth president, was exhumed and relocated from New York to his home state in Virginia. And then we've got this one that is just an absolute doozy. How many times, Ben, do you think Abraham Lincoln's body was moved?
Speaker 1: I know, do you want me to pretend to yes, I don't know. You can just say it, okay, seventeen times so far, so far. That's the thing with Abraham Lincoln. I feel like we have to add so far every time we mentioned.
Speaker 2: That statistics let the man rest.
Speaker 1: And that is indeed, that is the presidential record for the amount of posthumous moves per president. And in the case of Lincoln, these all occurred within the balance of Springfield, Illinois.
Speaker 2: What is that even about? Yeah, and I found this. It's on a discussion board Lincoln Assassination Forum, from a man named Roger Nordon. I can't speak to mister Norton's credentials, but he does have an example or a little account of every single time Lincoln's remains were moved, and one of them reads as such. November seventh, eighteen seventy six, in an attempt to kidnap Lincoln's body and hold it for ransom, Ghoules partially dismantle the sarcophagus and slide Lincoln's coffin halfway out. The conspiracy is foiled, however, and the kidnappers escape, leaving Lincoln's body behind.
Speaker 1: Lincoln also in a way that reminds me of our earlier episodes involving Winston Churchill. Lincoln also felt that he experienced pre cognitive dreams, but he never as far as we know. In the historical record. He never said, guys, they're gonna move my body seventeen times. But that's a weird prediction for people to make at this point. Only time will tell if James and Sarah Polk are going to be disinterred and reinterred a fourth time. And we want to hear your opinion on this. Is it a matter of historical accuracy? Is it a matter of disrespect? Is it a matter of doing our best? Is the living to adhere to the wishes of those who have passed totally?
Speaker 2: And in this Polk House and museum now a lot of the furniture from the raised ancestral Polk home is on display, you know, in sort of like a place out of time, kind of a pastiche So I'm sure it's a fascinating place to go. Do you need to dig up the guy's bones right and move them? I mean, this all depends on your view I guess of historical completionism. I guess I don't know, right, Like, I don't know, can't they just put up a plaque? It just seems like an awful big to do.
Speaker 1: Right, And then it also goes into well we could argue that it goes into the spiritual beliefs of the people when they were alive, you know, because there are some people who find it tremendously offensive to be moved around, and then there are some people who would say there were some people whould say, like Lenin style, just just preserve me and keep me on display.
Speaker 2: Right, And as it turns out, we have an update to this story. So the resolution that called for the movement of President Polk and his wife's remains was passed by the state Senate in Tennessee in March of twenty seventeen, but it was put on hold until later this year, so the state House will not actually vote on it until sometime this year, when we do not know, as the gears of law tend to grind pretty slow. But we'll keep an eye on this one.
Speaker 1: So will there be an update in the future, Will there still be momentum for this legislation or will it fall to the wayside. Unfortunately, as so much legislation often does, there's only one way to tell. Well, there are several ways to tell. They all depend on time, and we hope that your favorite way to tell will be tuning into another episode of ridiculous history In the meantime, I'd like to add this Pulk quotation toward the end of our episode here because I think it's an interesting contrast. One of his more famous quotations was the following, I cannot, whilst President of the United States, descend to enter into a newspaper controversy.
Speaker 2: Okay, bold words from President James K. Polk.
Speaker 1: Well, he did say while president and not currently president.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: But now it seems that controversy has sprang up in his way.
Speaker 2: He was really trying to just be super chill under the radar, especially when he, you know, invaded Mexico.
Speaker 1: He said some other stuff I like too. He said, thank God, under our constitution there was no connection between church and state.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no idea that would turn controversial again, did you, President Polk.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because he has kind of a pale, kind of milk toast kind of look to him.
Speaker 1: Something almost puritanical period exactly.
Speaker 2: So you know, I could see him wanting to be uncontroversial and some of the stuff that we're talking about, especially like the whole you know, Mexican American War and manifest destiny and all that. You know, we like California, but not the most popular political stance these days. Right, let's just go take you know, from beyond our Borders.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and Noel, what do you think about this quotation the world has nothing to fear from military ambition in our government?
Speaker 2: How about that one? Either. Let us know what your favorite James K. Polk quote is and hey, any historical figure send us quotes. We'll read them on the air. We'll have a new section in the show called quote Corner. I'm just spitballing here. You can put corner behind anything and it can be a segment. But write to us. We are ridiculous at HowStuffWorks dot com. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, or we are Ridiculous History and check us out on iTunes and leave us a review Apple Podcast rather excuse me. We appreciate it and that kind of helps discoverability of the show. Go up or anywhere else you listen to podcast. Just write us a note if you dig the show. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And perhaps not most importantly, but let's put it in the top five. There a James K. Polk themed poke bowl place or a Pokemon themed poke bowl place.
Speaker 2: Let us know. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.