Speaker 1: It's a league fifteen to ten touchdown catch.
Speaker 2: What's up? Guys? Welcome into our final Chargers weekly of the regular season. As always, joined by Matt mney Smith. We are powered by Microsoft Surface. Chargers losing Denver last week final game this Sunday, Sofi Stadium Monday. We got Blaine Gabbert versus and Stick and a lot to discuss after the game. I don't know how much you want to get into last week at Denver, kind of an uneventful game. I know that Sunday a lot of these guys may not be on this team in twenty twenty four, and we're kind of going to turn the page to a brand new era of Chargers football.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's worth kind of digging into a little bit in terms of that game, because you know, they had built Obviously the Raider game was a colossal failure, but you watched them take that step and respond and played for gift and played a great game and nearly knocked off the Bills and ruined their postseason hopes. Didn't come together, you know, slipped away from them at the end and unfortunate, and I was hoping they were going to take that next step get that win, knock off the Broncos in Denver officially, you know, even though they were eliminated because of the way the other games played out, but you know, make sure that you do the eliminating of the Broncos, especially with Jared Didham getting the start, and you know, they weren't able to do that. And defensively, I thought they played solid. Obviously, one just terrible play the little Jordan Humphrey touchdown where there were four mistackles, a blown coverage and just you know, ugly all over the field. But outside of that, you're talking about a team that limited Javonte Williams and the Broncos rushing attack, and they tried to run the heck out of the ball and they just couldn't. You know, they rushed for three yards per carry, and really it was bad turnovers. You know, Nick Neeman not secure in the football before he tried to run it on that fourth down fake punt, you know, bobbling it and that just knocked that thing off track. And then you know Austin ecklerkroff on the football up and losing it for the fourth time this season. So the defense played well, you know, and I think there's a couple of concerns there. I guess we'll just start there, Chris, Like, you know, the one thing that I would be concerned about is just corners. I think you really have to to think about this secondary moving forward. I think you had issues with tackling by the corners far too often in that game, and your corners in this league have got to be able to tackle. Just with the rules. It's a passing league. Flags are getting thrown all the time for pi or for holding, and that means there's going to be a lot of completed passes out there, and you have to be able to tackle, and that's just been an issue for this team at that position. So to me, that was kind of even though it was a good day for the defense, that was probably my takeaway is as we push this toward next year, you know, so I'll just start there on that defensive side of the ball and say, if you're going to play quarter in this league, you've got to be able to tackle, and if you can't tackle, you need to find someone who can.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great place to start, you know, save for that little Jordan Humphrey. Somebody told me I didn't see the exact number, but next gen stats, that was like a zero point two percent chance of being a touchdown. Yeah, and it turned into a touchdown because of just the ridiculousness of that play in the mistackle. So you know, you take that play out and I thought the defense played pretty good. But again in twenty twenty four, you look at this and I think the quarter position is a great place to start. You're gonna have to load up at that position. This offseason we talked about the edge rusher. We know Tooley's gonna be here. Khalil and Joey have massive cap numbers. It's it's safe to say we don't know. Has Joey played his last game as a Charger. I don't know. Has Khalil Mack played his last game as a Charger despite having a really good season, a Pro Bowl season, I don't know. These are a lot of big decisions that are going to be made by the next regime. But this defense is going to look a lot different money.
Speaker 1: No doubt, and a lot of it is you know, I think a lot of it is just money and and what is available on the trade market in terms of people being willing to take on that money. I think ultimately that's you know, that's what's gonna that's what's going to determine maybe who stays, who goes, you know, who has a contract, and who has the production that's of value to somebody else in the league that you can at least unload the salary, take the you know, the hit on the cap, you know, with the signing bonus and some of the money that you moved around in order to keep this team together to make a run at the super Bowl this year. So that I think, you know, it's basically the Big Four, right is what we're talking about. I don't think we need to tiptoe around it. It's Khalil, Joey, Teenan, Mike, That's what we're talking about. Those are four gigantic contracts that account for somewhere around one hundred and I don't remember what the number is. It's like one hundred and twenty one hundred and thirty million bucks of salary.
Speaker 2: Now it's north of one hundred and twenty m.
Speaker 1: So that's that's where it starts. And I don't know if it's two of the four, if it's three of the four, if it's all four, if it's one of the four, But I would be very, very surprised if all four of them we're back on this roster next year, considering how bad it went this year, considering the injury history. I mean, you have you have two lanes. You've got the injury history of Joey and Mike Williams, and you've got the age thirty three for Khalil thirty two for Keenan Allen. Neither neither is is ideal moving forward, right, someone that that you know, two guys that have have that struggled to stay on the field with huge cap numbers and salaries, and two guys who, according to history, probably are going to see it. Listen, these declines do not happen gradually. They show up like that for whatever reason. In the game of football. There are no gradual declines. You have it and then you don't, and it's for something. I don't know what it is about this sport, but that's typically how it works. So that's that's the risk that you take on by keeping any of those players. And I'm sure that'll be a very uh, it'll be a very tough conversation because they're all great players. They've all meant a lot to this franchise, even Khalil only haven't been here for two years, but what he's meant to the development of Tuley and how well Twi Polot has played this year and what he's attributed to Khalil Mack for why, you know, he feels like he's kind of been able to grow and progress so quickly. So those are tough, Those are tough questions. And I don't remember how we got there to this, so my apologies, but I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: No, we started on the defense, and again, right the two big price tags are Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa and money. For as disappointing as the last two years have gone, Khalil Mack has been in the bright spot. I don't think he's missed the game, you know, and and he's played really at an all pro level this year, you know, starting with that six SAC game against the Raiders and then just you know, being that presence on the other side, and I know it kills Joey to not be out there with him. You know. That was the big theme this offseason was, you know, Joey's like I felt like, I like Khalil down not being on the field, and then unfortunately they weren't able to be on the field again together this year. So the two lanes and I just go back to the history of the game, and you know, this is something that Bill Walsh always preached, and I know Bill Belichick is like, you want to get out from under a contract a year early rather than a year late. And that's that's the conundrum I guess you have with guys like now, I will say this, I think Keenan's game can have a little bit more longevity because his game is not built on speed. It's built on route running and built on just as his football IQ. So I do think that you can get some really productive ears out of Keenan. Khalil has shown that he's still productive. But like you said, sometimes it just happens. And when you weigh the cap number with all four of these guys, it's gonna be an interesting decision. Like you have the guys who have been in and had that history of injury history versus the guys who have been productive for you the last couple of years. But you just don't know when that is gonna fall off.
Speaker 1: My big concern with Keenan would be you know, the third down numbers are incredible, right, yeah, But why are we in so many third downs? You know, because we don't have explosiveness out there. That's you know, we don't see that the Chargers. I'm not part of the team. The Chargers don't have explosiveness out there. We don't see it, is what I'm trying to say. So maybe it's a complete reimagining of the wide receiver room that was. We like these big bodies, We like these tall receivers. You need speed, man, you need to explosiveness out there. It was so evident on that field against Denver. This team had nothing in terms of juice, and the Broncos just packed the box. They were not afraid of anybody beating them deep. Patrick Sartan was in Quinton Johnson's Johnston's jersey the entire game and he could not get off press and just got manhandled every single snap came alive a little bit, had a couple of really nice moments against Patrick, you know a little bit later in that game, but really just got thrown around. And as good as Alex Erickson was and he had a great game and a couple big catches, he just had no speed. They had no explosiveness, and that's not Keenan's game, you know you talked about maybe that's why it makes sense. But they need it. I mean they need it desperately. So I think that's sort of another conversation. Now, you can't just go out and buy it. You know, you're gonna have to draft it, You're gonna have to develop it. But I think it's clear that that is lacking. That as great as Mike Williams has been with those fifty to fifty balls and in the red zone, as great as Keenan has been on third down, like it just there's something missing. There is something missing in the running back room. There was something missing in the wide receiver room and the tight end room where they have got to figure out a way how to get explosive and how to you know, it goes back to the the Vic Fangio philosophy on defense, right, and that's put a lit on it. Force them to need thirteen fifteen play drives in order to score a touchdown because on your way there, you're probably gonna get a penalty, you're probably gonna get off schedule. You're gonna need to convert two or three third downs and that's where we get you and you settle for field goals. And that's just happened to this team far too often, where we don't have those three play drives, five play drives. Every single one has just been this dig your fingernails into the side of the mountain and just scale and hope you don't slip on the way up. And to me, Chris, that was so evident in that Denver game. They would have these great drive starters and you'd get a couple first downs and then you're behind the sticks and now Rashawan's got a brutal holding penalty and you're out of field goal range and you can't recover and you can't convert a third down. They were zero for their first nine. Like, they got to get out of that. They have got to get off that treadmill and get back to what we saw in twenty twenty where you've got these explosive plays from Austin Eckler and you've got these explosive plays from Herbert to t Billy and Herbert to Jalen Giton and like Herbert Hunter Henry, Like, we've got to get back to that.
Speaker 2: They have to find those guys too, and Jalen Geiton and t Billy. It's not like these guys are wide receiver one, but Justin would find them down the field. And you know, I go back to what we saw on Sunday Dolphins Ravens.
Speaker 1: Right say Flowers with a explosive.
Speaker 2: Seventy two yard touchdown, like just like that boom. You know what Tank Dell has done in Houston. Like it's unfortunate because you don't want to project what Quentin's going to be moving forward, because we still need to give him a little bit more time. But what you see that has happened after him, this team could have used it this year and they may have been a little bit more effective offensively instead of having to run everything from Peenan and being able to withstand the injuries to Mike. And that's what kind of leads us to the draft.
Speaker 1: And you brought you know what, Chris, I'm gonna I'm gonna jump in there real quick because I think it's a great You make a great point. And I just had this conversation on Petros and Money yesterday about Jimi Hawkes. I'm like, if you're the Lakers and you've got a thirty nine year old Lebron James and you've got a thirty year old Anthony Davis, and you made the conference finals last year. Why are you drafting a developmental prospect and Jalen hood Schaffino when Jimi Hakkes is ready to go? And you guys expect, You've spent all this money on Gabe Vincent and Jackson Hayes and Christian Wood. You expect to win the championship this year. So why is your first round pick someone that's not going to contribute for two years? And I felt the same way about Quinton. It's like, yeah, maybe he's gonna be great, but you just shoved one hundred and forty million dollars into twenty twenty four because you believe you're good enough to win this year. You don't have explosiveness in your wide receiver room. And and look, it's I get this zy flower saying, but here's Jordan Addison, guy that won the Bolitnikov two years ago, that is as polished a route runner as there is. You know exactly will he you know, is the ceiling a little bit lower for him because of his size and maybe the speed? Yeah? Maybe, but you know what he's gonna do when he gets here day one. You know exactly what he's going to do. There is no question about how high that floor is. So that's that's sort of where the team building thing came in and comes in for me, Like, you knew what you thought you had this year, So why are you taking someone that you told us from the get go? And the jump not quite ready? So that's you.
Speaker 2: Know, especially especially with how the wide receiver room was already constructed. Josh Palmers, Josh Palmer's big kid, Mike Walliams is a big dude. We know what Keenan Allen does speed. We're how many times you talk about day Flowers on this podcast leading up to the draft?
Speaker 1: Yeah all the time.
Speaker 2: But but take Puka Nakua out of it in the fifth round. Just take him out because that's that's an outlier.
Speaker 1: Well and remember for people that they think it was such a brilliant pick, yes it was. It turned out to be great. Pooka couldn't stay healthy, like that's that's why he slid. The guy just could not stay on the field his entire college football career. So the Rams caught a break. He's healthy and he's when he's on the field, he's great, but the guy just had way too many injuries and that's what scared everybody off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Sam Laport is in the Pro Bowl. You know, Michael Mayer had shows, has shown promise. Tank Dell was the wide receiver one for CJ. Stroud as a rook right, Za Flowers, Jordan Addison. I mean there was a lot of weapons. Dalton Kincaid, who I know you were so high on coming into this thing. Yea, all these guys could have really helped I think this year offensively. And I'm still saying that in the same breath as I'm proven for Quentin and I think it's a huge offseason for him to make to make that next step. But here we go, Chargers going to have a top seven pick in this upcoming draft.
Speaker 1: It's the worst it could possibly be. Eight is the lowest they could go.
Speaker 2: So I see Brock Bowers, I see Roma Dunza, I see neighbors from LSU like or what we talked about last week. Trade back, get more dudes. Sure, but if one of those game changers is there and you compare them and kind of revamp your tight ends in your wide receivers, room with with a with a Brock Bowers or a neighbors. I think that that's probably the route to go, and then it would make it a little bit more palatable to cut ties with one of these guys that you know, you've had such a deep connection with it the less several years.
Speaker 1: So the Bowers thing scares me. And I know, I said, we wouldn't even be in a you know, the Chargers wouldn't even be in a position to draft him because he was going to get drafted so high. To me, it's history. There's too much history there where. We have way too many tight ends that are taken in the top five because they're freaks. And it's Eric Ebron and it's Kyle Pitts getting taken ahead of Slater and Sewell and Jamar Chase. That scares me. The tight end thing, It just there's too many. There's too many tight ends. Oj Howard in Djoku like, there's so many of them that that worry me so that I would stay away from the wide receiver. Dj and I were talking about this on the way home and they're sitting next to each other on the plane and it's interesting because you know, think about the names you rattled off right tank dell Zay Flowers in the twenties, Jordan Addison in the twenties, uh Rareshi Rice in the in the second round read for the Packers in the second round. Like, you'll find receivers. It has become a receiver game all of these kids because the seven on seven and Friday Night Lights are coming up as receivers. There's so many of them right now. What there aren't offensive linemen, And so the Chargers are going to probably be in a spot where Fashanu is sitting there and Joe alt is sitting there from Notre Dame, and I think that's where the question comes in. Do you take that tackle because you have the quarterback? And like, what did we see this week from Jordan McFadden Thirty nine snaps, not a single pressure. You can find guards, you can find centers in the later rounds, but tackles, You've got draft tackles high Trey's played solid football. But you go through everybody in the NFL's offensive line, and I'm telling you right now you want to talk about elite tackles, I can say that probably ninety percent of them are taken in the first round. So if you have an opportunity to have not one, but two elite, elite players at tackle and Justin Herbert is your quarterback, to me, that that changes the game. That changes the numbers for everything, because now you don't have to worry about doubling anybody. You can Now you can run, you know, with a Sam Laporto, with a musk Grave with that tight end now and linebacker's got to cover him. In a safety, you can flex your back out because you're not worried about having to chip and keep somebody in in pass pro and like. So that's what's going to be interesting for the next general manager is do we have an opportunity to kind of what Detroit has right where when they took Sewel, they already had Decker and it's like he's a really good tackle. Well yeah, but now we can change everything. Now we can completely change the calculus because we have two real you know, one really really good tackle and one elite tackle. So to me, that's something that's going to be discussing. You then also brought up what I think is probably the best point, and that's trading back. Yeah, and that's you've got three quarterbacks guaranteed to be taken in the top ten Daniels unless he weighs like one hundred and sixty pounds, which is possible. He's very skinny, you know, Daniels. And obviously Drake May and Caleable and she's gonna be one and two.
Speaker 2: Michael Pennock made some money this weekend.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a medical you know, nobody is disagreeing with how good of a quarterback Michael Pennix is. He's incredible. He should have won the Heisman. It's it's a damn shame that he didn't. It's it's actually inexcusable that he did it. But the network that pushes the Heisman also carries the SEC and not the Pac twelve or the Big ten, and so they tend to get their way in those things. But he was robbed much like Toby Gerhart was robbed, much like Andrew Luck was robbed. And the PAC twelve routinely gets screwed in the Heisman trophy balloting unless it's someone from USC So hopefully Pennis with two acls and a shoulder, that's a lot of surgeries before you come out of you know, it's the same knee with the ACL So that's that's a concern. But and Bnix could sneak his way in there. So that's if you can. If you're what we're getting at and why we're discussing quarterbacks even though the Chargers of Justin Herbert, if one of them is available, Jade Daniels or Drake may or somebody is available. When the Chargers are picking and you got someone that wants to come up and they're back at fifteen or they're at and you think about what Carolina gave up to go up to get Bryce Young at number one, and like, that's that's probably where I would assume the team is really gonna do a long, hard look is maybe we trade back and get the corner instead, you trade back and you get you still get an elite receiver because there's probably five that are going to go in the first round, so I think that's worth worth discussing as well.
Speaker 2: Especially let's just say there's seven, right and you know, three quarterbacks in and go at least before them, you're gonna have your choice of one of those tackles, or an elite receiver.
Speaker 1: Or or a Dunta or a Harrison, one of those that that's four right, top two to top two receivers.
Speaker 2: So if somebody, and we know how desperate teams are to find their franchise quarterback and what they're willing to do. We saw Carolina last year. If the Chargers can move out of that seven and get a mid round pick, get a second this year, get a first next year, if somebody's really desperate, I mean, that's when we're really talking about trying to roster build. And you know there's some holes on this roster going into twenty twenty four that they never fill and it's not going to be just one guy. And I would be you know, for as good as like Neighbors is from LSU, I would be very hesitant to draft a wide receiver in the top ten, knowing how many other needs I need and knowing that Justin Herbert can get the football to a lot of people, and there's a lot of receivers out there, like we mentioned all these guys, man, all these guys went in the late first second and beyond, and you know, if Justin Herbert can throw to t Billy and Jalen Guiden, he could certainly find a guy late first, early second and make him do a start too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking off screen here for those watching on YouTube, not because I'm not listening to what Chris is saying. I am, but I wanted to check out Tankathon because, you know, I just I think about I think about what Houston did last year to go up and get Will Anderson, right, and what they were willing to give up. And I talked about Miami giving up a one, you know, two ones to get Jalen Waddle, what Philly gave up to go up and get DeVante Smith. So as you look and you see, you know, Houston has got that seventeenth pick and you know, actually that goes to Arizona. I forgot about that. So because they went back up to get Will Anderson. So what I'm getting at is, look, maybe it's Arizona. Maybe Arizona decides they want to move on from Kyler Murray. They can get a one for Kyler Murray, and they're gonna take Jayden Daniels. So they're gonna take Drake may Or, They're gonna start over and they get a second one. And now next thing you know, they want to trade you a couple ones to come up and get that wide receiver to help out their brand new quarterback and put Elik neighbors with their new quarter I think there's so many combinations that could lead to the Chargers getting an extra one, maybe two ones this year. Maybe you end up getting a one a two this year, so now you've got two two's, you slide back a little bit, and you've got a one going into next year. Like that's the sort of stuff that you can get into when quarterbacks are available and quarterbacks are valued. And it's got Seattle at fifteen, Denver at fourteen, to Tampa at twenty quarterback exactly, Raiders at eleven. There are so many as you go through and you start looking down, you start looking down the list, and you see New Orleans at thirteen, you see Minnesota at twelve. There's a lot of opportunities for you to pick up that first where you're still gonna get an elite player out of one next year, pick up a two or a three this year. And that's the sort of stuff. And I hate talking about this because it just it reminds you of how bad the season went. But unfortunately it's it's where we're at. I'll tell you this.
Speaker 2: Chargers fans would rather hear about this than than week eighteen, right now, right, Yeah, they want they want to get this thing going. They want to jump start on who the coach and the general managers gonna be, and they want to see how this roster is gonna be further developed. And I think the white the running back position, it may be a complete expansion, right, it could be. It could be a yeah, it could be a complete total reset. We we'll see what happens with Austin this offseason. I think Josh Kelly's a free agent. I don't know what the next coaching staff is gonna think about Isaiah Spiller. Obviously he's under contract. But I do think that they're gonna have to fight a way to run the football. They're gonna have.
Speaker 1: To fight a way to run the football, no doubt. And look, if it's the head coach that everybody wants that ends up getting hired, Jim Harbaugh is not not gonna run the football. And that's where that's where the tackle conversation comes in. That's where a back in the second round comes in, and maybe why you would want to trade back get that extra pick in the second round. There, you grab your tight end, you grab your your back and you're ready to play the style of football that that Bo Schembeckler embedded into Jim Harbaugh's brain. You know, when he called Bo and said, I'm thinking about being a head coach, he said, you're gonna have a full back that puts his hand in the ground. Yes, I am. You're gonna have a tight end that blocks. Yes I am. You're gonna run God's play. Yes, we're gonna run power. All right, you can be a head coach. And that's that's the foundation on which Jim Harbaugh, you know, builds his football teams. We don't have that. The Chargers do not have that right now. They they they are the you know, in the conversation, is the worst running team in the league. And that's the identity of Michigan. They they drag you into the deep water and in the fourth quarter they drown you. They pull you under because they're going to be able to tread water longer than you are. And that's how they've done it since he showed up. They're a physical team. They you know, they can take your punches and as long as they've got you in their sights, they're gonna beat you. By the end of the game, and so that's not what this team is. And that's and that's where the head coach is going to determine what they need and how they want to play and what they want to play with, because chances are that the person you bring in is probably going to be paired with a GM that has a similar vision.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm just when you're you're talking money in that identity that the Charges have lacked, especially running the football. Like I remember, I think the last really successful year they had run the football was when Melvin was at his peak powers under coach Lynn and and they mixed in Eckler and and it was it was a very solid running attack. Have not seen that, have not seen that, and that has been such a missing link. You take off the Miami game. I want to give the whoever somebody on Twitter had a some sort of stat. It escapes me the name, but take out the Miami game. It was like the worst rushing attack in like the last decade.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it's it's been brutal. It has been brutal. And that's where that's why I bring up the the right side of the line collapses every time they try to run the ball that way. So that's why I'm talking about the tackle. That's what I'm talking about, you know, And that's where maybe the brock Bauers thing comes in because he is a full service tight end. He will block his tail off, and he will catch the ball, and he will body up guys and he can extend plays like he's the full He's the full package. That's why you're talking about him. He's George Kittle, He's TJ Hockinson, He's you know, he's Travis Kelsey's a different deal. Travis Kelsey's more of that receiver. But that's kind of the mold that that Bowers is in. Think of Kittle, think of Hockinson. He can do at all. And that's kind of going back to when Hockinson was traded for a two. It's like, yeah, that's the guy that everybody's looking for, you know. That's that's what you want. If you're going to pay a premium for a tight end, you want to pay it for the tight end that isn't just a pass catcher, but one that's gonna knock you on your tail when they're running the ball. So that's look, there's there's a lot of different directions they can go. And typically when you say that, it's because there's a lot of holes and that you have to fill. And so the one thing I would like to see, and again we're not privy to everything behind the you know, things that are closed off to us practices, meetings, film study. But Dan Henley got out there for a couple snaps and man, he made a huge tackle, like an explosive play saving tackle when Javonte broke through that line and Eric Kendricks read it wrong and he was running into that gap, and there's day On sprinting over there making that ankle tackle, limiting it to like a ten or eleven yard rush instead of a thirty or forty yard rush. So like to see a little bit more of that out there with him, and he made he made a tackle right after that, made a stuff at the line of scrimmage. So I'm hoping we get a little bit more of that on Sunday against the Chiefs. No, granted, it's gonna be a much different looking Chiefs team. You're not going to see Patrick Mahomes, it's playing Gabbert. You're not going to see Travis Kelcey. You know, I don't know, you got to put somebody out there. So they're obviously some players out there. Someone's got to play. But for that matter, I really would like to evaluate keep McFadden out there. Let's see, if you know, if that's something moving forward that that you're comfortable with. I might even consider playing him at center if Zion's healthy and they were working him out at center as well, just because of the contract versus Brendan's contract. So that's I think that's worth to me. That's this Week eight team. As much as I'd like to see Gift get a get a win, and as much as I'd like to see Easton get a win, I think you owe it to the the organization to to really try to put some guys out there and evaluate game tape from some of these younger players as you go into what's likely going to be a pretty big reset in the offseason.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, let's take a quick break and we will get into that reset, the potential head coach of the Chargers and GM and what could happen next Monday.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, A big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL, and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at Surface dot Com. VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on Location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast in array of offerings such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame party with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat? Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach. Go Chargers, so.
Speaker 2: Money this season ends in it happens quick, and then Black Monday happens and coaches are let go, and the teams like the Panthers and the Chargers who we know, the Raiders who we know already need to be looking for a head coach process starts to get expedited a little bit. What do you think is going to happen around the NFL? Like Belichick?
Speaker 1: Seems like it right, that's been the high game going down the Obviously, Carolina needs a coach, Washington needs a coach. We've already heard that. Rivera's out there. Sounds like Belichick and Craft are ready to part ways. It feels like that's going to happen. So New England needs a coach. Arizona Giants find Chargers need a coach. Word on Tennessee. To me, that's a trade. Can they get a one for Mike Rabel? If they can, then maybe they decide let's let's reset and move on. The Jets sound like they're fine that they want to give it one more go. Sounds like Atlanta. I think it probably depends what it looks like against New Orleans. If they don't get blown off the field or maybe they win that game. Then Arthur Smith stays, it sounds like they want to keep them Chicago. I'd be really surprised if they kept ever Flues. But they've played great, They've played really good football here to close the season. Sounds like it. But it's like, if you're gonna get rid of Justin Fields and you're going to draft a new quarterback, and do you really want a guy that was probably gonna get fired five weeks ago in that quarterback's first season with that offensive system that you very well could end up changing the following year. You don't want to do that to a young quarterback. So that's where that thing is kind of interesting to me. And I think it also depends on, Man, we got the number one pick, we got Caleb Williams, you know, we can maybe really go out and get someone here. You know, someone's going to be very interested in this job because of how well the Bear's played down the stretch, the fact that Caleb Williams is coming in on a rookie deal and you've got DJ Moore, You've got talent on that roster, you got Montest Sweat locked up, So that could end up being like that's the sort of discussions that are going to be had on Black Monday. Okay, I know we like what Matt did down the stretch, but let's let's think about who's available and what our pitch is and who we might be able to get. Look, it's that's the thing about firing your coach. Who are you gonna hire instead? Are they better? Are they considerably better? Is it a lateral move? Are you just getting rid of the guy in order to say we understand the fans frustrations. Here's your red meat and your sacrificial lamb. Now we got to go find someone that maybe we don't even like as much like theirs. That's that's where it comes into the conversation with a team like the Bears. Yes, the players like Antonio Pierce, Raiders are gonna get a new head coach. They're they're going to find someone. Same thing in New Orleans. They're saying Dennis Allen is safe. But it's like, is he like you really okay with that? With with potentially eight and nine this season?
Speaker 2: So I man see, well, okay, So Soldier Field is chanting, they're chanting we want fields. DJ Morris come out said, I don't want anybody else to be in my quarterback. The defense has played lights out the last several weeks with Montes sweat at one of those bookend positions. Devontae Adams is saying Antonio Pierce is the guy the locker room wants Antonio Pierce. So these are these interesting decisions that really could affect the Chargers in some of these potential destinations for guys like hardball or a college coach, or Bill Belichick or Mike Rabel being traded. I think I know Washington in Carolina, Carolina, I don't know if you want to play for Chepper or not.
Speaker 1: Like that's that's the benefit of there is. I can't imagine no matter how big the number is, somebody wanted to go play for that guy or going to coach for that guy. That's that's where that comes in. Washington's interesting, you know, inexplicably, Arizona winning that game and Washington now sitting at the number two hole and getting either Drake may or Caleb Williams makes that a very interesting spot and.
Speaker 2: And a new and new ownership. Imagine getting Caleb Williams who played in his high football and Zach in DC coming home and getting getting a blue chip coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think film now I think if I if I understand it correctly, I believe based on the way the season ends, if New England loses to the Jets and Washington loses to the Cowboys, I think I think New England will jump Washington for the number two pick because it will come down to strength of schedule. It's interesting, and so.
Speaker 2: The strength the strength of schedule is a game of part money. So I saw, I think of Steve Kornaki talking about this. Uh, the Saints smoke the Patriots, the Commanders beat the Falcons. The Saints and the Falcons play Week eighteen, which will determine the strength of schedule by like a game, so yeah, which is crazy. And then and then if it's tied, then you go to head to head. The Commanders beat the Patriots, that actually hurts them because drop them behind the Patriots. So that's like some of the fun intrigue at the top.
Speaker 1: But I think, and the reason we kick that around is because you know, it's the New England job with Robert Kraft now becomes a lot more attractive with a franchise quarterback moving forward, with either Drake may or Caleb Williams moving forward, so you know what kind of owner he is, you know what kind of town you're going to, how much they support the team, and that then becomes a much more attractive job when they have the number two pick instead of the number three or four pick. But you know, Bill Belichick's going to go out and whoop the Jets and they're gonna end up sliding out and it's gonna be hilarious and the Patriot fans are going to be staring at Drake May and then, no, not so much that, because there is no way that guy is losing to the Jets in what very well could be his last game as the Patriots head coach, just knowing the history there that he was hired by the Jets, didn't want the job, turned it down, the Patriots trade for him, and the rest is history. The Patriots become a dynasty and the Jets become a laughing stock and a punching bag. So they aren't losing that game. There is. If there is one bet I could make on Sunday, that would be the bet. Unless Belichick is coming back and he and Kraft have already had this conversation and it's Uh, let's not. Let's not mess this one up. Okay, let's let's make sure And that could end up being a hot potato game where Sala is like, Hey, we want nothing to do with one of them quarterbacks going to New England. You guys get the win, get out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly, Pats fans maybe watching a lot of Jdi Daniels tape. If that's the case, it's the intrigue and the fact that the Chargers have a franchise quarterback. Mat I have to believe that that's the number one chip for a coach. I get to coach Justin Herbert, right, count me in, right, as opposed to we think Caleb Williams is going to be really really good. He probably will, right, But we don't know. Drake may could be amazing, He could be Justin Herbert two point zero. We don't know, right, We don't know Jayden Daniels or Michael Pennix and all these all these guys are such a crapshoot in the draft. But when you have an established guy and you have maybe the ability to make more decisions about the personnel, and you get to live in Manhattan Beach, right, and you get to have a brand new facility in Elsa Gundel. I mean, those things kind of all stack up, and you look at the kind of the landing we talked about the landscape of the AFC West. You know, I know that the team's going to look drastically different in terms of personnel. And there's some cap potential hurdles this offseason, but the cap goes up every year, and once you make these tough decisions this year, if you're looking at this as like a five year plan.
Speaker 1: Look, it's important to look. We all want Harbaugh. I know that because I talk to people every day and I was just out last night. I was out last night and everywhere it was we were. You know, I don't mean to name drop, but I end up going out to this this callaway golf thing that a buddy of mine and my friends at Travis Matthew wanted me to go to. So I go out and I run into to Bill Simmons and he's an old friend. I know him through Jimmy, and so we start chatting and as we're talking, he's asking me about Harbaugh and you think you're gonna get Harball, And I'm like, I don't know, but it certainly seems to line up. It feels like the organization really wants him, and it feels like it makes sense for him to come. And who walks over, and again I'm dropping more names. David Chang walks over, who's a good friend of Bill's, who was there, and he's a huge Washington fan, and he's barking about, Oh no, we're getting Harbaugh. They're gonna spend all the money. You can't tell You mean to tell me, I'd rather go get Herbert than get Drake May and be able to start over. And he even likes McCarthy, so they can trade back and draft McCarthy and he can get his guys. I bring it up to point out they might that may be what Harball wants May. He may want McCarthy, and he may want Washington, and he may want to fight with the Eagles and the Cowboys every and the Giants, you know, for a division every year. That would certainly fit his personality. And if that happens, Okay, there are other guys out there. There are other quality coaches out there that if for whatever reason, it's not Jim Harbaugh, maybe it's Dan Quinn who took the Falcons to a Super Bowl maybe and won a Super Bowl as a DC with the Seattle Seahawks and has one of the best defenses in the NFL this year. And who knows what's gonna happen with the Cowboys when they get into the playoffs. So it could be Jim Schwartz who has managed to somehow help Kevin Stefanski guide the Browns to eleven wins, maybe twelve without a quarterback, without the center of their offense because the defense had been so dominant. Maybe it's Ben Johnsson who is resurrected the Detroit Lions franchise offensively and has got a mon Ross Saint Brown as an All Pro and Jared Goff is now a Pro Bowl quarterback. Like there are other options, there are other guys that will be available. And let's just you know what, let me just kind of pull up the standings real quick, Chris, because that's what's interesting about this is and I get it, man, I want Harbaugh. I would be beyond excited if Harbaugh is the guy. But I go into standings and I'm looking at the playoff picture. Miami Dolphins, Mike McDaniel, Jacksonville, Jay well that's Doug Peterson, so Buffalo Bill Sean McDermott, first time head coach, Kevin Stefanski Brown's first time head coach. The Colts are right now the seventh seat, our old friend Shane Steichen the Texans. If they beat the Colts, Demiko Ryan's first year as a head coach, ends up in there. Who's behind him? Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton all behind him, So Mike Rabel in the fourteen hole. You go to the opposite side and you've got the Detroit Lions at three with Dan Campbell, first time head coach. You've got the Eagles who were in the Super Bowl last year with Nick Sirianni. The Rams, of course, got McVeigh as a first time head coach and a thirty two year old. The Packers Matt Lafleur, first time head coach. Like it can work, it Kevin mcconnam with the Vikings last year with thirteen wins. Like it can work. It works. It's not the end. It's not the end all be all that for some reason, Jim Harbaugh decides or the Chargers decide that there's just a better fit somewhere else. It's because that's gonna happen quick. I think the Harbaugh things probably win or lose the National Championship. That's gonna progress pretty quickly because I think when you look at there's there's really no there's no coordinators. With San Francisco. The dan Quinn thing might string it out if they make their way all the way to the championship round, right, that'll that'll take till the end of January before you'd be able to hire him. Ben Johnson with the Lions, that could take a couple of weeks. But you know, Mike McDonald with the with the Baltimore Ravens, who are the one seed, Like there's to me, the Harball thing happens pretty quick. I think a team wants to blow him out of the water with the deal and offer him. You know, Michigan's offered him ten years twelve per. I think you can structure. You know, the floor is going to be fifteen for him, So it's fifteen per. You don't have to worry about nil, you don't have to worry about recruiting. And if you want your ten years, win a super Bowl will guarantee you five. You win a super Bowl, there's your other five. We'll lock in the other five, you know, because then it's worth it.
Speaker 2: So and then who are you in competition with? You're also in competition with no doubt the Raiders. They're in your division. You know, Like if you think that Pierce isn't going to be the guy, and it's very possibly that he won't be the guy, that Mark Davis just says, you know what, I need another big fish. I'm going to go try to get Harball too. So you're gonna be a competition with some of these other teams. I think with Chargers fans that I'm sure, like you said, we hear these guys uh in girls all around the country on x on Instagram, in person. I think the fact that they have gone first year head coach the last three years is the only reason why it's like, okay, maybe it's time to change it up. Like I'm with you. You could very well get a Ben Johnson and he's awesome and you go to the playoffs right away. You could you could very well get one of these first time coordinators and bring them in a guy like Raheem Morris who did it before and I think probably deserves a head coaching job. Somewhere you could do that and you could have success. But based on how the last three have gone and how they've ended, really I shouldn't say they've gone, but how they've ended. That's why hardball seems so glaring, and so.
Speaker 1: You don't have to change offensive coordinators. He's gonna he's gonna determine. He's going to determine what offense you run. He's a winner from the second he steps in the door. What he did with San Francisco, I keep I should look it up. I keep saying I think it's forty four and sixteen. But what he did with San Francisco and obviously Michigan, Stanford, San Diego, he's won everywhere he's gone. You have no concerns. He's like, he's Mike Tomlin, He's Andy Reid, He's John Harbaugh. These dudes that love football, that just want to compete and can't help themselves. It's all they think about. That's what you need. And so that's did he.
Speaker 2: Work closely with Pep Hamilton and Michigan too, Like you know, when Pep was the quarterback coach Justin's rookie year. I mean it's it's just he has NFL connections. I'm not saying like Pep to the to the Chargers too. I'm just saying like he has NFL connections, he knows, oh yeah, the personnel.
Speaker 1: It's like I said to me, I think it's a no brainer for the team, and I would assume that's what they want. It's just whether or not he wants you. We all want things well, you know, but it takes two. It takes two to dance. And if if you ask him to dance, there's a chance that he says no because he wants to dance with somebody else. And that's something that's out of your control. So you control what you can and you make a compelling offer, and you certainly feel like you're pretty attractive with Justin Herbert and Rashaun Slater and an AFC West that has the Raiders, that has the Broncos that are going to cut Russell Wilson and take a thirty nine million dollar cap hit on that contract this upcoming year, and a Chiefs team that looked totally vulnerable all season long without you know, Tyreek Hill and certainly took a step back on the offensive line. So at a fourth place schedule, exactly in a fourth place schedule the first year you're here, so Tooba works out.
Speaker 2: So obviously, man, we're speculating because we were not there yet. Right, we got one more game to go. But a week from today, money, we're gonna have a lot, you know, we're gonna know if Michigan is the national champion. We're gonna know who needs a head coach. We're gonna know some of the candidates that are out there that are out there imediately, uh and probably safe to say that we will have maybe a little bit more concrete news to talk about, not saying that there's gonna be a higher made, but like you know, well, the speculation and stuff can be ramped up.
Speaker 1: Like the one thing that they tend to do is they announce who they're interviewing. So we're going to at least get that. We're going to find out who they're interested in, what what what coaches are they interested in? You know, between between like you said, the end of the season on Sunday and the next time we do this on Thursday, we'll probably have at least one, maybe two coaches that have been interviewed by then.
Speaker 2: It sucks because you don't want to talk about terrible right now. A year ago, we're going to Denver and in the playoffs and get ready for Jacksonville, and you know the excitement and and all that stuff that that you know, fans they live for. You know, you get to the postseason in January May, there's nothing better. Uh So, it's been a very disappointing season, but we're trying to push it forward with the hope that that springs eternal every off season. And and there's a lot to look forward to because I think whoever comes in here, those they got the quarterback, and it'll it'll be a nice breath of fresh air for everybody as as they kind of turn the page, build the culture, move into this new practice facility, No doubtfully, get back.
Speaker 1: On tre no doubt. I'm with you one hundred percent. Facility. That's the other thing they have to sell. Brand new facility right next to Lax, right next to Sofi La traffic. You don't have to worry about it. Man, you're gonna live in the South Bay and you're gonna be ten minutes from the facility. You're gonna be fifteen minutes from so far. You're gonna be ten minutes from Lax. Welcome to the Chargers. You've got a house on the beach you want to live in you or you can go up on the hill live live in Palace Verdies. It's gonna take you twenty five minutes to get to work, not an issue at all. And it's they got a lot to sell, no doubt. It's an attractive job. I have no doubt about it, especially if you give somebody long term security five years, you know, with an option for eight or something like that. If you win a Super Bowl for one of these top tier candidates and they're gonna end up with somebody good, I'm excited about that future. And they're gonna end up with a great draft pick and the potential for even more draft picks. And that's what it's gonna take. It's it's it's gonna it's it's gonna take a lot to try to get this thing turned around. Coming off a season that that ended like this, Well, happy to.
Speaker 2: Year, guys. One more game. I want to see these guys finish, finish the season the right way, and then we turned the page and we get ready for a new era of Chargers football. For Matt Muddy Smith, I'm Chris Hayry. This has been chargers weekly, powered by Microsoft Service