Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft web Radio Special Operations Military Nails on straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on? It's rad and welcome back to another episode of soft rep Radio. But before I introduce the guests that I have on today, I want to let you guys know to go check out the mert shop all right at soft rep dot com. Go check out the merch store. Keep purchasing those cool things that we've got coming out for you all the time, the newest items. And then also soft rep dot com for Slash book Club, so it's a book hyphen club. Just go check out the Software book Club. Look that up, Google it and who knows you might find this next author, Curtis Fox and his book Hybrid Warfare, who we have on the show today in our book club. Welcome to the show, Curtis.
Speaker 3: How's it going ra nice to be here.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's going great, Curtis. You've got me five y five? I do okay, wonderful. Well, welcome. You wrote a book called Hybrid Warfare. Because you're a former Special Operation Special Forces soldier, I believe you're like tenth group, Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it came from tenth Group, first fourth Battalion, and then second Battalion. So I got out in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, twenty sixteen. What I was going to say is what did you enlist as? Like usually you know how old were you when you did enlist if you don't mind, and then what did you go in initially? As was it a Bravo eleven bravo or.
Speaker 4: So I came in as an eighteen X ray And so the default m O if you were to fail out of any part of that pipeline process is leven Bravo. But they stood up the eighteen X ray program as a means of bringing civilian talent into the special forces community. Prior to the War on Terror, you had to be an E five before you could even put in a packet to go to Special Forces selection. And then I believe in two thousand and three or two thousand and four, they decided that they would try to open it up to the civilian world for people they felt were qualified. There were a couple of key indicators that let recruiters know they were talking to somebody who would possibly be a qualified candidate. But I mean, there are a lot of guys that start the eighteen X ray pipeline. They played some call of duty and that's what they know about it, and those guys don't do particularly well. But there's also a lot of guys like myself that had college degrees or maybe they'd run small businesses, and those guys are the ones that end up doing very well. They've they've had experiences that teach them how to think long term, and so what they're going through in the present is, you know, it's something that they're willing to make the sacrifice for for a long term goal, and those are those are usually the folks that do pretty well. So you go through basic ait Airborne school and then they send you to a to a preparation and conditioning course, and then after that you go to Special Forces Assessment selection and then if you get selected, you run the Special Forces pipeline and you get mixed in with, you know, all the guys that came from the army. If not, you go to Needs of the Army. Most of those guys are airborne qualified for that point to the eighty second. Airborne's a pretty common place to go.
Speaker 2: Sure, because they're already, like you know, right up their alley. So really the eighty second, it's like if you're in the eighty second, then you have a couple steps up to try to go through a selections process. If you're right, like that's a good place to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in.
Speaker 4: The airborne infantry too. I mean, the the Army genuinely can considers them to be a cut above the rest because they're they're double volunteers in a sense. They volunteered for the Army and then they volunteered for airborne duty, and then they actually have to volunteer multiple times to jump out of the plane you know, every however often that is to stay to stay airborne qualified exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they.
Speaker 4: The Army, they treat the airborne Infantry is as you know, an elite unit unto itself. And so when you have somebody that's gone especially through the preparation and conditioning course for special forces, if for whatever reason they fall out of the pipeline, you know, maybe it's just a maturity issue, or maybe it was an injury and they need to they need to get fixed up before they come back. The eighty seconds a pretty intuitive home for them and a lot of those guys.
Speaker 3: You know, what they need is a sergeant.
Speaker 5: They can just sit down with them and teach them a little while how to be a soldier, and once they're part of that fire team or that squad for a while, then they might think about coming back.
Speaker 2: Do you know I of any like? Can I ask you an off tough question about who's in SF? Like, do you have any idea of any females that have Is there a female SF? I know there's like some other people who are clandestine. I guess, you know, I don't know if they're quite SF. You know, is there anybody who has put on the Green beret as a female candidate? Yet?
Speaker 4: If there's more, you know, congratulations to them. I do expect that to be relatively rare, simply because of the physical requirements to go through Special Forces training. My understanding issues this individual was an Olympian level athlete in her own right. You will, I think it will be relatively uncommon to see women go through, you know, the Special Forces training pipelines simply be because of the physical demands of the pipeline. But there will always be one or two. They're very far out on the distribution, and if you just think about it. In terms of a basic statistical analysis, there are always going to be you know, a few individuals who are several standard deviations ahead of the mean, and because of that, I mean, they're you know, those people are out there. Just to give you an idea of how common that can be. My understanding is when they opened Ranger School for women, they took a selected group of ladies in ROTC and ROTC candidates and they put them about six hundred of them through a special six month preparation course to get them ready physically for Ranger School. Out of that six hundred, I think there was like twenty five or thirty that were given the green light to move forward, and then they were rolled into this pre Ranger School that I think was run by the eighty second Airborne and from pre Ranger maybe only about half of that thirty we're given the green light to move on to Ranger School. And then of those fifteen to eighteen women, three graduated Ranger School. So you know, if you simply look at that, you know, and I may have that wrong, two hundred original it may have been. It may have been two hundred original applicants, but that means one, about about one and a half percent out.
Speaker 2: Of about six hundred original applicants. That's almost, according to the song, one out of let's see it. Yeah, yeah, that's think a song where it says, you know, one hundred middle tests today only three. So let's look at the percentage there. So at three percent rate will pass females coming two hundred applicants, let's go at that number three of them qualifying, I'd say they're above the grade of the song. That's awesome, now, I'd be really you know if you think about the song, right, Barry Sadler, Well, that's super awesome. I want to let my listener know that like being a United States Special Forces Green Beret, you know, is something that it's an Olympian athlete in itself. Like you said she was an Olympian athlete. Well, you know, growing up with the father who was SF, it was always like, hey, come on, Aaron, we're gonna go I'm gonna go run. And so I would ride my bike while dad would go rock run around hill Air Force Base in Utah here and airman would We were running up this hill and it's kind of a big incline and we were just going up at and it's a normal thing for him. And someone pulled over and said you need to ride up onto the base and he's like, no, I'm good. He's just chugging right along up this hill to go around and go back home because he's Army and we were outside of an Air Force base, and so everybody was thinking he was probably Air Force running to the base with this. I don't know. It is an interesting you know. I always walked around with him holding his hand, thinking how come everybody doesn't have a green beret at the base, especially at the Air Force base. I was like, Dad, how come these guys don't have a beret like you? And they'd walk out and put their trucker cap on. I'm like, why are they putting a trucker cap on? I don't understand what all these big letters on there. It was just a different world for a kid raised under the Green Beret flag, right. So I just want to let you know you're you guys are athletes. You're extream athletes. You guys are drinking liquid protein to keep your bodies moving forward, and like doing all of the hard marathons and you're out there, you know, just breaking your feet and not saying nothing about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tell you what, the people that might really get my admiration are the guys that stick with it and do it for twenty or thirty years, and you know when they get out, Man, the amount of abuse that your body is taking, when you're pushing at that in your late thirties and early forties and even going into your fifties. The guys there are guys, man, that they will still blow you away, you know. And how quick they can crush a you know, five mile run at fifty five years old. Serious, and you know, I can't believe that some guys can perform at that level that late in life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a mind game. They just know it. They just got it. They're just made to walk in the boots that they wear. And you know, there's a story out here of a guy that was retired, but for like three four months he was still shuffling up to jump, but he had retired, but no one said nothing. They're like, didn't so. And then finally the what I understood from the colonel was someone said, didn't so and so retire like three months ago? Man? And they're like, yeah, so he had to go approach him and say, hey, you keep shuffling up to go jump on drills, But these guys are just living that life. What do you do with a guy like that, you know who his whole life is, you know, Dale Pressel, to free the oppressed, to like have this teacher mindset, to teach others to be you know, free for themselves, free thinking. How where does that guy go who's still try to shuffle up?
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you who who snatches up a lot of them when they get out of service is professions that have a they're very high stress, and they require individuals that are okay with working unorthodox hours. Is the first one that comes to mind is investment banking. So you know, when I got out, the first place I went was to do my NBA at Georgetown and then you know, I specialized in financial services. The number of guys I knew that were in there from the soft community, or from the Marines, or you know, actually they're even a couple of you know, silent service, you know, Navy submariners in there.
Speaker 3: These guys are.
Speaker 4: Very used to working weird hours under an enormous amount of stress. And you know, if you're working in investment banking. You can be working eighty to nine hours a week on a regular basis for you know, and the burnout rate is very.
Speaker 3: Very high.
Speaker 4: And you know they're looking for people that fit the the exact same personality bill it as a lot of these you know, elite special operations communities, so you know there there are places for them to go.
Speaker 2: You're right, you know, Like I was thinking about my dad. He went through his MBA in business and finance and communications, so it's in human resources, right, So again you're you're exactly Yeah, I know it's true. Yeah he did. He was working on his doctor until his heart really started to stop that process. Yeah, heart surgeries and everything, but he was chasing his degree up to his doctorate until he passed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hardcore, very cool.
Speaker 4: I tell you what, Man, in my heart of hearts, I really really want to run into like a mall cop one time that was like, you know, an airborne ranger and like he's he's you know, driving around in a golf cart now chasing kids when they mess up with Macy's or something like that, and that person must be out there, but I've never he's just.
Speaker 2: Trying to hold onto that uniform and that gigline and just make sure that everything's still good to go. Hey, we need that guy on the front lines of the malls these days. That's the guy I want to driving the golf cart. Give me Chuck Norris, Holy cow, Oh my gosh. Now your book Hybrid Warfare. But writing a book seems kind of what I get to interview you guys about. There's a lot of you know, special operations and veterans who are into writing their thoughts and bringing out what their knowledge is. And it's like, I should, you know, make a legacy, continue on with what I know and put it somewhere in a book. Whatever your thoughts may be, right, people can read it and understand it for their own words, and then of course fact check anybody's book out there, right, whatever you read, just just go read a book, right, I'm all about that. I like to read books. Now, I'm going to keep kind of talking here about Hybrid Warfare The Russian Approach to Strategic Competition and Conventional Military Conflict by Curtis L. Fox, who is now author former Green Beret Olympian athlete. In my mind, okay, I'm just going to give him that credit. So what the book Overview says, here is dive into the shadowy world of Russian military strategy in hybrid warfare. In hybrid warfare, the Russian approach to strategic competition and conventional military conflict, you are not just reading a book. You're embarking on a gripping journey through the dark corridors of Russian military strategy, where intrigue and danger lurk at every turn, From the enigmatic Little Green Men to the chilling echoes of poisoned doorknobs. This book unveils the cloak of mystery shrouding Russians approach to the global power. Authored by Curtis L. Fox. Our guest here are a former Green Beret, Russian Speaker, tenth Special Forces Group alumni. Book is a masterclass in strategic analysis. Fox skillfully connects the dots here from the era of Peter the Great to the modern day. Is it what is it? Machinations of Vladimir Putin?
Speaker 3: Yep, that's yep, you got it.
Speaker 2: You know he's a dick. Okay, I'm just gonna say how it is.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a warsaw family, you know, growing up in the eighties and nineties. My dad being all Green Beret and learning all the tanks and all the different weaponry, and the Cold War doesn't ever have seemed to have stopped. It still seems it's the same weaponry, same aks, same you know, cold furry hats on their heads, standing in the you know, red square with you know, saluting one guy who has the power over all the people. An auto cross auto autoocracy, I believe, where he's just the guy in charge with a few other people who are running the town. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: Sure, and well, you know, the first thing the Russians would say, you know, is who told you that the Cold War was over? They see the Cold War as unfinished business in a lot of ways. But it actually runs deeper than that the Russians are pursuing. It wouldn't It wouldn't matter who is in power in the Kremlin, even if the Russia was a democracy, which I don't think is ever going to be on the table, at least not in my lifetime. The Russians, by their geographic location and the nature of the land that they sit on, have always needed to expand in order to survive, and so the rut of ethnicity when it emerged in the ninth century has only ever been doing that. And when it runs into another neighboring tribe or people, they either you know, subsume them or subordinate them, or conquer them in one form or another until the empire can expand. And that's when you're located on the vast flat northern Eurasian step, that's really the only options. There are no geographic barriers like the Alps, there are no major bodies of water that really separate you from the neighboring peoples. And so they pursued that strategy for you know, hundreds and hundreds of years. And during that process there were there were times where the Russian people themselves were conquered. They were conquered by the Mongols. And what merged under Peter the Great when he came to power was a strategy where Russia was finally large enough to start trying to plug the holes on its periphery, and so it had gotten big enough where you could expand and to hit those hard geographic barriers, whether that's the Caucasus Mountains in the south, or the Baltic Sea or the Black Sea, or you know, even pushing more eastward you could or more westward, you could look at the Carpathian Mountains, you could look at the what is the Vulgar, the Vogelsberg Mountains. You know, once you're in eastern Germany, you know their strategy by the end of the Cold War was to forward station heavy ground forces there alongside tactical nuclear ordinance. They had successfully condensed many, many thousands of miles of borders down to just several hundred miles of terrain where they needed to be able to station military forces to defend. When you have blockades like the Gobi Desert in the far east and then the Caucasus Mountains in the south, you know that you can't march an army across. And so that's how the Russians kind of play the game. That entire security environment and it reached its apoge under Joseph Stalin. But that entire security environment collapsed in nineteen ninety one. All of the Warsaw packed states and the former Soviet republics all broke off. They had what the Russians would call color revolutions, which basically means that some sort of a populist sometimes liberals, sometimes not, but some form of a populist government came to power, you know, and they basically, you know, mobilized, you know, a plurality of the people to overthrow the standing communist regime which was favorable to Moscow. Once that happened, they lost all of that defense in depth. And Sivladimir Putin is he's pursuing that strategy again and trying to restore those that the Russian He's trying to restore the Russia's traditional definition of security.
Speaker 3: And what should really keep us awake.
Speaker 4: At night is that in order for the ethnicity to really feel secure, they have to dominate a collective peoples in Eastern Europe that are about twice as large or twice as numerous as the roof ethnicity itself, and that that is the Russian definition of security.
Speaker 2: Say that in a in a like, explain that just a little bit more in layman's term, they want to dominate a whole more, a bigger chunk than what they are right is out you're trying to tell me, is what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, maybe twice as large. You know, all of these former Soviet republics Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, you know, you know, look down at Ukraine and what they're doing in Ukraine right now, you know, and then former FORESAW members like Poland and Romania, or Czechoslovakia or what became the Czech Republic in Slovakia. You know, these are all countries that they would like to be able to put into a client state status at the minimum. Georgia, you know, yeah, yeah, Moldova actually, and that that's another A lot of analysts that I hold in high regard believe Moldova's next if the Russians successfully annex Ukraine as they're trying to do all those was the next on the menu. And it's the low hanging fruit because it's not a NATO. It's not a NATO, right.
Speaker 2: And so you know we're here. This is the current thing he wants. And when I say he, I'm talking about the current you know, person in charge of Russia, of the dictator of Vladimir Putin. You know, he is, you know, trying to go back to Peter the Great, trying to get you know, McDonald's has left. Okay, places have left. The things that came in in the late eighties early nineties when Gorbachev tear down this wall was happening, is leaving he's coming back with you know, he's imprisoning you know, his political rivals like Nolvanney's still in prison. No one's heard from him for a minute. You know. Pussy Riot they opposed him and said a prayer on stage at a concert and they were in prisoned for multiple years because they're you know, a female band that opposes Putin and his autocracy. And then there's you know, just simple people who want to say something. And then when you go and see some type of documentary where they're talking to the doctors over there, and the doctor lives in some type of little apartment with a bathtub in this in his kitchen, and then he puts his tabletop on the bathtub to eat his dinner. And he is a doctor. And then the other people don't even have that much and he's living in a kitchen with a bathtub with a table that he has to make shift. And he's one of the most educated people in Russia. So it's like, you know, when do the Russian you know, young Russians, the thirties, the forty year olds, when are they going to say, hey, enough is enough? What's your thought on that? Uh?
Speaker 4: I don't think that points out there at least. Yeah, I don't think that point will be out there in my lifetime. Or maybe maybe the better way to say it is.
Speaker 3: The people.
Speaker 4: Vladimir Putin is not the return of Joseph Stalin. He's not that powerful. He's Russia's most important power broker, and he rose to power mostly by playing off a lot of the different factions against one another. He knows how to grant favors, he knows how to discreetly handle problems. And when he was, you know, deputy mayor St. Petersburg, and then when he moved to Moscow, and one of the very first things he became responsible in Moscow under Boris Jeltzen was taking former Soviet state assets and trying to figure out how to privatize them. And he collected an enormous number of IOUs and favors in that process. And it's no coincidence that he jumped rapidly up to being director of the FSB and then he was tapped to be prime minister. I don't think he was even in charge of the FSB for a full year before he jumped to being prime minister. And then when Yeltsin retired, he became the acting president until he was formally elected in two thousand. But there are power brokers within his party who he has to maintain faith with. One of those people is Serga Shorgu. So and currently the current name of Russia of Plutin's party is United Russia, and Serga Shorgu is one of the most important power brokers within the party itself. And Putin would never have gotten his shot for president without Shoygu. So when you look at all these really incompetent things that have happened in Ukraine under Shorgu's watch as Defense minister, you know, one of the things you have to keep in mind is he's in the inner circle and there's no replacing him.
Speaker 3: And you know, you can't.
Speaker 4: Putin can't get rid of him anymore than I could get rid of my mother, not that I would, I love my mother. But you know, their family and they're connected, actually their kit I think Putin's daughter is married to his son. Actually, so that's who that's who runs Russia. It's a click of about one hundred and fifty to two hundred former they call themselves, you know, the world calls them Slovaki, but their former national security professionals, whether they came from the intelligence community and the KGB, or whether they came from the Foreign service like Sergei Lavrov, or whether they came from the military. They consider themselves national security experts and they they are the individuals in Russia who really have the education and the background and the experience and the multiple languages to be able to run Russia's institutions. The problem is they run it kleptocratically. They run it mostly for themselves in this closed circle oligarchy. Now the young people, there's this hope in the West that you know, the youth of Russia are going to eventually resent this and they are going to fight against it. And I think, you know, they have always resented it and they've always fought against it. But it's not really that unique in Russian history. There's always been this kind of a kleptocratic regime in Moscow. You know, Communism made it worse, but and Stalin made that system work by pretty much guaranteeing that anybody who opposed his regime would be arrested and executed or at minimum sent off to the Siberian Gulags. But under the Tsarist regime and the old you know, the Tzar had the you know, the the old Cheka. You know they this is very normal. Russia has always, uh had a you know, a relatively despotic regime and power, and some of that's kind of owed to their geography as well. If you have a regime in you know, Saint Petersburg, which is, you know, the historical capital of Russia, but you have a you know, a populist in Keemchatka or of Vladivolstock, you know, that is string the pot. The best way to deal with that person is to have the secret Service arrest him and disappear him. It takes you know, years to marginal army all the way out that far. So the best way to hold the empire together is to, you know, make sure every town has you know, a local chapter of your selected special security service that's listening in on all the conversations and has a has an eye in eyes and ears in the room of pretty much any private conversation. And that that's a legacy in Prussia. And that's a legacy that Putin fell into right.
Speaker 2: And then you know, he's always seemed to have dabbled with the leadership, whether he was prime minister or somehow put into be prime minister and now he's the president of Russia or he's at the head of you know, like you said, the FSB or his the KGB or whatever. You know that. Growing up with my father, he was just always saying, you know, the thing you got to think about is just submarines, right, it's not so much like Russia's, you know, not around us as as a nation. You know, he'd always say, you know, it's the it's the subs off the coast you got to think about. And so, you know, I hear, I don't know if I'm just spreading rumors. I'm gonna call it a rumor instead of fake news. So I might spread a rumor. I hear there might be a submarine at the bottom of the ocean that they command that has all of the cable in its like little snips that connects the underwater connectivity of all the you know, Internet and everything. It could just like snip it. There's a huge underwater cable. And my understanding is that just sit they sit there ready for the go. You know what do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Submarine engineering has been a it's been a high priority for the regime. In Moscow for the last seventy years. They realized that the U boats allowed Germany to go toe to toe with the world's two most powerful navies, you know, in World War Two, and I mean in World War One as well, and they identified it early on as a tool that they need to adapt.
Speaker 3: And so they've they've always they've always.
Speaker 4: Had, you know, a high priority on you know, submarine technology and the old Soviet vessels they weren't afraid to make them big and because of that, you could have a double hole whole format, and so the outer hole is your pressure hole in the inner hole. Uh, you know, it simplifies internal design. It gives you all of this extra space to really you know, create these you know, much more functional and much more lavish living spaces and so like you know, the old Typhoon class boats had like a sauna and a you know and a and a hot tub and stuff and swimming pools inside of them. In the modern era, they you know, they still have you know, it's a part of their nuclear triad. Is they call them the was it the Berete class nuclear subs. And then they still have the Delta Force that are online and those are most of those were made in the Soviet era, but they still have the delta force. So the Berets have the what is it, the be Lava ICBM, and then I think the old delta forges are still using the R twenty nine and those are both effective ICBMs. You know that that's something that should give us real pause. You know, they have that technology available and they could fire on anywhere. They could fire on, you know, the United States, from anywhere in the world, including their home port.
Speaker 3: They don't really need to be parked off the coast.
Speaker 4: So the Soviet strategy for years was actually to take one of these subs and park them underneath the the Arctic ice cap, where they'd be relatively hard to find, and they were just supposed to sit there and then in the event of war, they could surface, burst through the ice cap, and fire off a couple of rockets, and then go back down again. So the sub that you're talking about, they are making a number of special missions submarines. There's some details about this on the book website. I didn't include these in the book because it's interesting information, but it doesn't doesn't quite tie into the thesis of hybrid warfare. But yeah, they want to be able to interfere with the with the fiber optic trunk cables that are running under a lot of the world's oceans. They want that as an option, and they have engineered a number of specialist submarines that are that are designed for those kinds of special missions.
Speaker 3: And they don't even have to be able to dive that deep themselves.
Speaker 4: They can always just launch an underwater autonomous vehicle and that that robot will go down there and do the dirty work for them. But they're also incapable of taking like a you know, a SPETSNAS detachment from the Russian Naval Infantry. They call them, uh you know, uh, you know, reconnaissance teams, and they could, you know, they can offload them onto you know, a battlefield the same way our Navy seals would come out of a Virginia class sub And those are all capabilities they keep and the Russians have from the Akula classes forward, and to be specific, what we called the Typhoon class submarine, you know, the classic hunt for Red October. Those are very actually but called the Akula class by the Russians. Akula means shark. What we call the Acula class and NATO parlance is an attack submarine that was meant that was meant to be at parody or better with our Los Angeles class submarines in the United States. Now, whether they are at parody or not, I don't I don't know. And we've faced out the Los Angeles class and we're in the Virginia's and my understanding, the Virginias are extremely good. The Russians have moved their Coula classes forward. They still have the aculism Solves are very venerable boats as attack submarines, but they don't do those kinds of special missions, even though.
Speaker 3: They're very quiet.
Speaker 4: But they have developed what they're calling the Yasin class submarines attack and these are from the open source information that we have about the Yas attack submarine. It's probably the best and the most quot submarine the Russians have ever fielded, and NATO analysts have stated publicly they're very, very impressed with it. It's also extremely expensive. The first one, with the first one, I think it is called the severe, the sevierro Dvinsk, came off the line at something like two billion dollars, which for the Russians is not pocket change. They don't have that kind of money lying around, so each subsequent boat is supposed to be another billion dollars out of pocket. And so we'll see if they can maintain production.
Speaker 2: No, they don't even really even have like aircraft carriers comparatively speaking with a budget. I don't even john that. I know, we're kind of like a little delay. I just wanted to get in there. Like the Russian Navy, they do focus so much energy on their sub mariners, you know, and the navy itself, right, Like one of the most disciplined militaries in the Russia is the navy, which is why they're Spetsna's where with the blue stripes are more revered than the other stripes of Spetsna's. But again, the thing is is that they only have a few aircraft carrier, right, They're not very like robust on that, right.
Speaker 3: They have one aircraft carrier.
Speaker 4: It's a Kuznetsov class carrier, and it's it's it's pretty worthless. It's they had during the Soviet Union in the eighties. They had they started off with the Kiev class carriers, which I think they made three of, and that was meant to give them a fast ground attack capability against NATO surface ships, and they realized that their subs would be very vulnerable with that air cover, and so they wanted to try to be able to project some degree of air power.
Speaker 3: Even though they knew they could never have parody.
Speaker 4: With with you know, the United States, the UK and France. But the Kuznetsov class was meant to be the next four A forward and they're about you know, the boat itself is about twenty f five thousand tons. It had a sister ship that was actually after the class of the Soviet Union was left in Ukraine and the Ukrainians first turned it into a casino and then they sold the hull to the Chinese and that is what became the li and Ying in China. But the Kuznetsov class, at about forty five thousand tons can support something like a squadron of twenty five planes. I think they were running the mid twenty nine K. I don't know, I can't remember what it's been upgraded to at this point. But it breaks down all the time, and the fumes from the motor runs on this kind of it's almost a tar. It's meant to run off a very low refined petroleum derivative you could almost call tar and they're just a very poorly constructed boat. They suffocate the people that operate inside of them. They tried to bring it down for the war in Syria. They had to have it paced by an ocean going tug boat in case it broke down, which it did multiple times. And then when they started actually releasing planes to conduct combat operations in Syria, they had to close all air ops for the boat itself and then have all the planes land at their at their Hyinenem air base in Syria and just fight from a from an airfield on the ground because the carrier was, you know, it was prohibiting their their success. They haven't retired it because simply having an aircraft carrier is a is a point of national pride and it should be retired. It's caught on fire multiple times, but they just won't let it go. The issue is they don't have the existing naval facilities enable shipyards to actually build a boat of that size right now, and certainly not staffed with the subject matter expertise it would take to build a boat of that size. So until they until they update their infrastructure in their workforce, you know, having a real aircraft carrier is probably not going to be on the table for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really that is a big deal. I mean with considering you know, air superiority and having aircraft that can just like be right off the coast or take off and you know, just dominate the airspace within landing back on its carrier group right, let alone just their carrier, which I understood was also like you said, I think sold over to China and it's a nineteen fifties fifty five version aircraft carrier that they've modeled their aircraft carrier off of, which has like that lip at the front of it when they try to take off so they can fall or something. I don't know. I mean, why is it that I feel like when I think of Russia equipment, it's frozen cold and not functional.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a common problem. The Russians inherited the Soviet Arsenal, and when Russia collapsed or what let's say, and the Soviet Union collapsed, Moscow went from having an economy that was maybe half the size of the United States.
Speaker 3: They always fudged.
Speaker 4: Their numbers, so we don't really know exactly how large the Soviet economy was because the data that they created around this is always very inflated. But by nineteen ninety three, the Russian economy was about half the size of the United Kingdom, and those are numbers that we can trust. And so with an economy half the size of that of the United Kingdom, they were trying to maintain an armed forces that could compete not just with the United States but with the entire NATO alliance, and maintaining that equipment is physically impossible. They simply didn't have the resources, and so this was all put in. It was all, you know, it was put in dock, and the ships rusted, and the tanks were put into you know, storage storage yards, and they you know, they had weeds grow into the tracks, and that's what's happened ever since. They didn't really start modernizing and updating their armed forces until the mid two thousands.
Speaker 2: Right after other countries had already had a run in the game trying to get up on them. Now they're trying to catch up, so they are. And in the meantime, you know, in the nineties, they did sign that agreement to like you know, allow Ukraine to be its own self with the nuclear proliferation act red or where they got rid of all their nukes and quote unquote said, okay, you get to have your own sovereign nation. You're now Ukraine. And then, you know, two thousand and twelve jumps up and they start to attack into Crimea and then they putin says don't fly your civilian airliners in the airspace or it will be shot down. You know, it's a war zone. But they shot down the airliners of the civilians that were just flying over. And you know, so now he's trying to say that it's annexed. He's like, this is ours now because we went in and fought on it, and you've got you know, Zelensky, President Zelenski of Ukraine trying to you know, keep it together, keep a positive mission for his troops who are either in their fifties and have old Russian experience or they're in their twenties and they have airsoft wargame experience. And so you have this war going on right now over there where it's needed to be defended because Ukraine is its own stone state. Okay, I recognize Ukraine, and just because they attacked in February of twenty twenty two doesn't mean that it's not been going on for some time, and for him to want to go back to the Peter the Great, the Peter of the Vlatimir the Great, whatever he wants to be thought of, I don't think it's quite doing it because you know, my understanding is they've lost around three hundred thousand plus Russian soldiers since that February initial invasion of Ukraine. You know what is Putin's end.
Speaker 3: Game, well, you know his endgame.
Speaker 4: His endgame is to restore the former buffer states to their subservient position. I don't think that that full game is in the cards in the next five years for certain.
Speaker 3: But what he can do.
Speaker 4: With Ukraine, even though they've floundered so badly on the war when it started in February of twenty two, what they can do at this point is wade out Western support. The Ukrainians rely on foreign donated weapons, they rely on foreign financing, and increasingly they rely on foreign fuel and foreign food. The Russians will attack the Ukrainian economy and, wherever possible, the Ukrainian population itself. If they can destroy infrastructure, the power grid, the port facilities, the railroads that are needed, you know, Ukrainian grain is you know, it's an important staple in the world, you know, food supply chain. Right, they're the fifth largest grain producer. That's a backbone of the Ukrainian economy keeping them from exporting those things. First off, that increases the price of wheat, and that's you know, Russia is the world's largest grain producer, and that creates demand for their own produce, but that destroys the capacity of the Ukrainian economy to support the government. And it the more you attack the power grid and the more you attack the water supply, the more you tend to create refugees, you know, especially in you know, as you do this in heavy population centers, and refugees have a number of characteristics, but one of the big ones is that they don't fight back, at least not in an organized way. They tend to drift into Europe and they become the European Union's problem, which is absolutely okay with the Russians, and that means that they can slowly roll the ball forward so they don't necessarily have to conduct you know, the bold Heinz Guderian style, you know, armored spearheads into Ukraine and surround Ukrainian forces and defeat them, you know, in a chest like victory on the battlefield. They can simply slowly advance the ball on each front and slowly chip away at Ukraine as a whole until there's simply isn't a population left to defend it, and there's no economy to support. And you know, it's becoming a very expensive endeavor for the Western Allies to invest in Ukraine's continued independence, and that seems to be the strategy that they're pursuing right now, and that it's a ruthless, ruthless calculus that they're going through. It's what's going to be done to the Ukrainian people over the next five years, is it? Well, we've gotten a sample of it. We got a sample of it, you know, and the war crimes that we saw in Bhucha and a number of other places around the the occupied areas.
Speaker 3: In northern Ukrain and you know that they have absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I talked to some people who have been over there. I've talked to a guy who got captured by Ukrainian forces. He was with a guy that had a Russian passport. It was very hairy, you know. They were like, look, look, look, this is why he has a passport. It was just like in the beginning of it, he was just trying to get some folks out right, and boy, you know, it is a thing I don't want here. You know. I've said it on previous episodes where I was talking to my oil changed homie over here at my local oil change place and we were just bsing about an episode and I said, yeah, we were talking about are you ready for a hypersonic missile to blow up the grocery store across the street just out of nowhere? Bro? I said, are you ready for that right now? Because that's what's happening over there in Ukraine? And he looked at me. I said, are you really ready to go bandage your neighbors blown up children because their houses got blown up out of nowhere like like these things. And he looked at me. I said, are you ready for that? And He's like no. I was like, no, no, bro, these that's what's happening over there. And if if we let it happen and fight it over there, it doesn't happen here, right if we can help prevent it and thwart it and maybe help fight that battle and get Congress to you know, see the need to do that and not maybe sympathize, you know, like World War two. Let's let world War two Congress. Some people in Congress sympathized with with Hitler. Okay, they were sympathizers. There was German sympathizers that were involved in politics that were like, what's the big deal, He's just doing it. He just let him do it. What's the big deal. It's his country, it's his place, nah man, Look what happened. Right. History books are written based off of exactly all that stuff. So if we continue to let this guy do the same thing, are we just like what? You know, what? What do you think of that?
Speaker 4: There is definitely something to be said for maintaining the status quo internationally. It's not acceptable to be in the Community of Nations and to be integrated into the global economy and to just invade your neighbors because you want something that they have and that the United States and NATO and the European Union have a that is our defined interest in Ukraine that I think is absolutely one hundred percent right and absolutely one defensible. There is an added component that I think NATO really needs to keep in mind, and that is that they do not want Russia butting up directly against NATO allies.
Speaker 3: We would also be better off with a.
Speaker 4: Buffer between US and Russia, because the Russians if they're if they butt up against the country like Poland or Romania. There's a historian I really like named Victor Davis Hansen who talks about deterrence as the principal reason why people go to war. He makes the argument that it's, you know, World War One and World War Two, you know, these effectively laboratories of national power that kind of revealed to us through a very ruthless and brutal process what we should have known at the beginning. Right, So, if Germany had looked at the number of countries that would be fighting, you know, in nineteen forty five, before they invaded Poland in nineteen thirty nine, they would never have done it. They would never they would never have the generals and I don't even think Hitler would have been crazy enough to believe he could fight the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union and France and the United States all at the same time. But it's the loss of deterrence that makes them believe that they can do these things that at the end of World War One, the Allies were absolutely certain that they never wanted to fight a brutal, ruthless, industrialized conflict like that. Again, whereas the Russian excuse me, the Germans came out of World War One and they said, oh, we almost won that. I mean, we were like this close if the Americans hadn't come into the keep making cars, right, you know, So there's this. You know, Adam Hitler took all of Czechoslovakia. You know, he remilitarized the Rhineland, and he took the the Starland and took you know, in the Anslas he took he took Austria, he took the Sudate Land and Czechoslovakia then and he was a peace at he was pointing in that process. And so the Germans, both from political leadership in the West and then just from a cultural sense, they read weakness in the United Kingdom and France particularly, and that's what motivated them to do what they're going to do. If Vladimir Putin is you know, he's got forces stationed on the border of Ukraine or.
Speaker 3: Belarus, and they're.
Speaker 4: On the border of Poland or Romania, you know, then we start getting into a world where they might think that they can conduct military operations in a NATO country because they read that NATO won't do anything about it. And that's a real nightmare scenario. We do not want them ever thinking that they could start sending you know, spetsnazed troops across the border to you know, you know, conduct false flag operations in a place like Poland.
Speaker 3: Or something like that. That's how world wars get started.
Speaker 4: That's how that's that's how you risk something like a general nuclear exchange. So the Western Allies have a definitive interest in making sure that the Russians do not conquer Ukraine. Now, the one thing I'll say, and this is this is something for our domestic politicians to meditate on, is I have not heard that case clearly articulated to the American people. And that is the And if you if you're to go back to nineteen thirty eight, thirty nine, nineteen forty, nineteen forty one, leading up to per Harbor, Roosevelt, he is he's very sympathetic with the isolationist views that were in the United States at the time, especially after World War One, and he sees, you know, getting involved in the European conflict, as you know, a, we don't want to do that. This is Europe's problem. But be this distraction from my domestic initiatives, right like we're in the Great Depression stole. But a number of his core advisors, and the big one being George C. Marshall, with his in conjunction with Roosevelt, Secretary of the Treasury, and for the life of me, I'm struggling to remember that man's name, but he was one of Roosevelt's closest confidants. They make a case to Roosevelt that, hey, look that the United States military only has you know, two hundred and fifty three hundred thousand soldiers in the US Army. We're across Europe, everyone is fielding an army of two to five million men minimum. We're are at the beginning of World War Two. Our army was smaller than the army of Portugal. We are hopelessly and hilariously outgunned. And if we get into this, you know we're going to lose badly. We need to arm and you need to take this seriously. And Roosevelt too, he he you know, he's a political grand master and he knew how to listen to his advisors and make the case to the American people that this was in the national interest. He got the American people's he got Congress to vote for a peacetime draft. And you know, there's no such case that's been made. And you know, we we get told that this is important by a lot of the core figures, but you know, it's it's not nearly at the same level, on the same scale as Roosevelt's you know, attempt to communicate with the American people about the issues at the time.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear the case be made on behalf of what you just said, just like how Roosevelt came out and said, here's the case, you know, listen to his trusted advisors. Are I like how you said, you know, our national politicians need to like you know, meditate on that, you know, and like think about it, you know, and find their inner self and you know whatever they pray to and just come to terms with, you know, being bipartisan and just seeing the greater need of the good of the situation here. And that's it and for all of us, you know, really represent us, really represent what they're there to do, and and and swing the bat and hit it out of the park. We want to believe in that system. So I do as an American. I want the world to believe that we believe in that. My listeners that listen in the UK and everywhere else, I want them to feel that I have the confidence that we can overcome anything that's between ourselves too, for the greater good of mankind. Right, war is all you know, there's no peace without the word war. Right, I hear that, but I mean, damn, let's have some peace.
Speaker 4: Yes, And you know, to Roosevelt's credit too, he respected the isolationist position.
Speaker 3: And there were a lot of.
Speaker 4: Luminaries, uh, you know, in American society. Charles Lindberg was one of the big ones who were isolationists or even pacifists, and there, you know, the Midwest especially was very isolationist. And in all of his speeches he absolutely there was not this kind of down finger wagging and shame on you, you need to tone my position or else you're bad. It was explaining to them that yes, that's noble, and I agree with you, and I see your point. There are some things to consider here that that change the math. And that's the way the case was made, and you know they are these these makes the notable speeches when, especially when he introduces the draft, he starts the speech by saying, I hate war, and uh, the people in our time now that do not want to be in broiled in Ukraine are worried that US troops are going to be committed on the ground in the Ukraine. They have a point, and it's a point that I think we should all really pay attention to. And those those we do not want to go to war with Russia, but we do need to maintain deterrence, and we do need to make sure that this country that wants to maintain its independence can because it is in our absolute national interest to do so. We just have to communicate to the American public. White it's international.
Speaker 2: Interest, it's a global interest that it stays.
Speaker 3: And that's you know, that's a job for our political class.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and we're just stewards in our country to do the best we can. Uh, what we have as others around the world are stewards and theirs and together they all seem to like steward together for the most part. Okay, everybody seems to try to get along for the most part that there's just these actors out there launching things into space, setting them up all this different stuff. I'm gonna go do this. You can't tell me what do the Internet belongs to U? Look, I think you've been a great guest on our podcast here at Soft Rep Radio, and I've really it's really been awesome to have you on, Curtis. I just want to say thank you for just going back and forth about Russia and all of your knowledge.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you for having me on. It's been great. And man, I can talk about this stuff all day. It's been it's been fantastic to speak with you.
Speaker 2: Well. I appreciate the objectivity you bring to the conversation. And you know, I am going to also be a better person and say I want our politicians to meditate more. Okay, find it on the inside. And I also want to.
Speaker 4: Pitch certainly, couldn't hurt a little objectivity and a.
Speaker 2: Little a little exactly and hybrid warfare right on Amazon right, Please leave a comment and a review once you go check out his book, read it, leave a comment down there, let him know that you're reading his book. It really makes authors feel really good when they see somebody leave a re spons anywhere that you are picking up his book, if it's at the local mom and pop shops or if it's at the airport. But Hybrid warfare the Russian approach god to conflict. Hold on, you do have a long title. One second, let me get it right. Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on those Russians. Hybrid warfare the Russian approach to strategic competition and conventional military conflict by yours right here, Former Green Beret Curtis L. Fox, Thank you, Thank you, Red. And with that, that's Rad saying, don't forget to go to the merch store. Keep that going. And also check out the book club book hyphen Club, soft rep dot com, Forward slash book hyphen Club making a song, sing it all day long, go to it, check it out, and I appreciate it. And this is Rad saying happy holidays. It's probably twenty twenty four by now, Peace, you've been
Speaker 1: Listening to Sink Rep Radia